Thread: Canada sometimes chats : 2013 Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=026371

Posted by PeteC (# 10422) on :

Bright shining new thread. Have at it!

[ 13. February 2013, 07:29: Message edited by: Spike ]

Posted by lily pad (# 11456) on :

Well, now, Uncle Pete, even though it is only just past 10 pm, a very Happy New Year to you and to all of the other O Canada types on the Ship.

I am just in from a wonderful outdoor skate in a bitterly cold wind with about 1,000 other true Canadians or Crazy Canuck wannabes. There was a live swing band bravely playing though they were half frozen and an almost full moon that was spectacular. The fireworks were amazing and it was all capped off with a delicious Beavertail. A most enjoyable New Year's Eve.

Posted by Meg the Red (# 11838) on :

Happy almost-New Year, fellow Great White Northers! Terribly exciting evening Chez Red; Air Farce followed by beddie-byes.

God, I'm old. [Waterworks]

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

It's already 2 hours into 2013 here in cool-but-not-yet-snowy St. John's.

Happy new year to All Points West (or Up Along as we call it).

[Smile]

I've never heard of wine kiosks anywhere in Ontario - perhaps in up-market grocers? But apparently the LCBO is spreading its wings.

This is amazing to someone who remembers having to hand in a slip of paper with your shopping list and a signature certifying you were over 21 to a clerk who operated behind a counter and got your stuff from a locked area.

I still think that the sale of beer, wine and spirits should be even more tightly controlled. But then, I am often out of step with the latest pandering to the masses

Liquor stores are ubiqitous here, and there are advantages to that. I do like having a choice of outlets on the admittedly rare occasions I need to make a purchase, and there are some excellent specialty boutiques. However, it's much too easy for kids to buy booze, and it's really hard to keep liquor outlets out of your neighbourhood. We've fended off several attempts to plant one in the mini-mall next door; the community feels it's a bad idea when we have an alcohol treatment facility within a block of the proposed outlet. But every six months or so there will be another attempt, and the community league will mobilize again to try to stop them - I fear it's a battle we may eventually lose.

Posted by Og: Thread Killer (# 3200) on :

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
I've never heard of wine kiosks anywhere in Ontario - perhaps in up-market grocers? ..

Apparently there is one inside a Wal-Mart.

This is the locator page for the biggest chain.

[ 01. January 2013, 17:31: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

Posted by HenryT (# 3722) on :

So many suburban Ottawa supermarkets have wine outlets I was wondering where the LCBO would put theirs.
Last time round, I believe the convenience store owners were against, now they are for. The big difference is that the age verification is already in place for tobacco.

Happy New Year, all

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

quote:

This is amazing to someone who remembers having to hand in a slip of paper with your shopping list and a signature certifying you were over 21 to a clerk who operated behind a counter and got your stuff from a locked area.

And seems even weirder to someone like me who lives within 150 metres of seven different shops that sell booze, and doesn't remember when he last saw a supermarket that didn't. Perhaps never.

I wish they'd preserved one of those old Ontario liquor stores for posterity. No one will believe we used that system into the 1970's.

Posted by Sober Preacher's Kid (# 12699) on :

It can go into the museum right next to the display about the Big Blue Machine (the Ontario Tories), Grade 13/OAC and stubbies.

Posted by Horseman Bree (# 5290) on :

Ah, but when will we be able to put the dinosaur of the Harper Tory machine into a museum? This is a much more important question.

Have you taken out that NDP membership yet, Bree?

Stubbies never really left, unless you only drink that swill the now foreign owned big 2 think we should be drinking.

The last time I looked Red Stripe was still in Stubbies, blessed be their holy name.

Further to that, there was a power outage in Union Station in Toronto yesterday. Pushed me up a steep ramp and across 4 sets of tracks to get me to my train. Before that, when it first happened, I was on the GO concourse having a quick bite. Finally found someone to get me outside and up another steep ramp to the main level, where we lent a flashlight to the Left Luggage people so they could find our bags.

When we finally got to Ottawa, the taxicab phone lines were down, long lineups outside and damn few cabs. Shared with a little old lady going in my general direction, I was so glad to hit the pillow. [Snore]

[ 07. January 2013, 09:45: Message edited by: PeteC ]

Pete, that does not sound like fun. Glad you made it back in one piece!

Poor you, Pete - that sounds like a right nightmare. When are you heading off to Sunnier Climes™?

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

Oh, where is he going this year?

[Biased]

Oh, funny.

For a few years, my wife and I worked at one of the two Inuit art stores in the area (the one owned by the ex husband).

I never did get into Kenojuak's, who died just the other day, art as much as others did, preferring Povungnituk over Dorset. But I still remember the yearly Dorset sale and the people who came from thousands of miles to put down a few thousand dollars on a print, every year.

The man who ran that gallery, Norm Socha, died 10 years or so ago. A good man. He taught me more about dealing with people as they are then anybody I had ever met.

Even now I can't see a bit of Inuit or Cree art without smiling.

Especially whenever I see a Chee Chee.

Now there was a genius. I'll take his clean lines over a Morriseau any day.

quote:
The last time I looked Red Stripe was still in Stubbies, blessed be their holy name.

Still is, and there are other stubbies in the LCBO.

I bought Fin du Monde and Le Terrible, neither is in stubbies, but both good (strong!) beer.

Fin du Monde is a GREAT name for for a strong beer!

It's right up there with Skull Splitter. [Big Grin]

Bloody great snow-storm on Thursday and Friday - we had no power from 7 in the morning on Friday until 7 in the evening today.

**brrrrrr** [Frown]

I wondered how you, David and Trudy were doing - I can't believe the snowfall amounts! Every news report I saw emphasized how Newfoundlanders' humour would help them weather the storm. I particluarly like this beer fridge (scroll down).

Glad your power's back on [Smile] .

Huge raspberry to the City Council, who ploughed us back in on Saturday night after D. had dug us out. Huge cheer for our neighbour across the road, who came over while we were out at Evensong and dug out a proper path for us.

[Overused]

Things pretty well back to normal today, although it's treacherously slippery underfoot.

There is no snow where I currently am.

[Big Grin]

None here either Pete. Glad you made it safe and sound.

Well, I'll be in Montreal April 12-14. I have registered as a Delegate for the Federal NDP Convention for my riding.

I wonder how many General Council Commissioners will be there. [Two face]

Posted by Leaf (# 14169) on :

CBC says it will be -43C here tonight.
Do. Not. Like. [Frown]

Okay, I am now officially ashamed of whinging about it being -22 when I walked to the library today. Especially when we hit +7 at one point last week.

On the other hand, half our office staff is currently Someplace Tropical, sucking back margaritas on a beach.

Back to whinging. [Waterworks]

Posted by no prophet (# 15560) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
CBC says it will be -43C here tonight.
Do. Not. Like. [Frown]

You're doing it with windchill aren't you? It makes it seem more dramatic to report temp that way. But is does distort it too. We're -27 right now with the windchill putting it to -41.

I've been on a kick this winter to (1) never start a conversation with the usual "Cold enough for you?", (2) to try to say nothing negative about weather, always wear a toque and have a neck tube in my pocket, (3) to get outside for a walk every day. I have failed with the not complaining, but have complained less. I have been out every morning with the dog however, for half an hour. I recommend it. Just dress properly and it's all fine!

Minus 43? Even I'd admit to that being a tad chilly. [Eek!]

We're set to soar into positive digits over the next few hours but then take another plummet, and they're offering us far more snow than we could possibly need later in the week. [Frown]

[Snigger]

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Just dress properly and it's all fine!

I shall be sure to pass along your advice to the Salvation Army, who are scrambling to provide emergency bed space in their kitchen, office and storage space, wherever they can. Surprisingly, they seem to think this weather is problematic. If only they had known that a few more layers would do the trick!

Big Snow at Dawn! The best phrase to describe tomorrow morning. And I have an appointment at 9 am 30 km away. Oh joy!

People here today saying tomorrow will be really cold.

A high of -11 is not all that cold.

As long as its not a repeat of a metre of snow in 6 days coming from the south, we here will survive.

(this downtown of this city is not designed to take that much snow directly coming at it from the south...I'm up in North York where that much would be handled ok)

Posted by Lothiriel (# 15561) on :

Finally, a proper winter day -- windchill -20 and snowing.

I feel very Canadian today -- fresh-baked cranberry scones for breakfast, and then bundling up to take the dog (Labrador retriever) out. Then back for a (hopefully) peaceful day of work on an anthropological manuscript about Aboriginal peoples in Canada. Too bad there's not enough snow to get out the snowshoes.

I'm coping very well with all the snow.

[Angel]

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:
quote:
Just dress properly and it's all fine!

I shall be sure to pass along your advice to the Salvation Army, who are scrambling to provide emergency bed space in their kitchen, office and storage space, wherever they can. Surprisingly, they seem to think this weather is problematic. If only they had known that a few more layers would do the trick!
A few layers of bricks (with tiles on top) do a great job. I'm sure the Sally Army would concur.

Meanwhile, we British feel very discouraged when it gets below zero at all.

Posted by Augustine the Aleut (# 1472) on :

I had a splendid 3.5km walk to my local for my daily cortado this morning and can assure folk that, at a mere -27°C, it was fine. However, as Leaf's comments should remind us, I don't have to spend my nights outside.

It should be added, that, in addition to wearing more layers of clothing, that keeping moving and having a cup of something nicely hot when you come in is the ticket.

I changed the oil in the car tonight in the garage (cheapskate do it yourselfer all my life for oil changes). It's only -24°C and we're off to a cabin for the weekend to ski. Touring, as in climbing up and skiing down. It's too cold for downhill for me. Now that's the way to keep warm!

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

Hey ho, started annoying the Americans so I might as well do the Canadians too... [Big Grin]

Planning a trip for the middle of the year. I'm trying to figure out my best travel options for various bits and pieces.

As far as Canada is concerned, here's what I'm currently thinking about:

1. Chicago to Toronto looks like a plane is the best option. Looks rather too longer for other forms of transport. True?

2. For Toronto to Ottawa, and Ottawa to Montreal, rail looks like quite an attractive option. It looks like there are quite a few trains every day. Would this mean that I could get away with not booking anything until I was in town, ie only a day or two in advance?

3. I've got this vague notion of travelling from Montreal down to Boston but stopping at a couple of towns in New England along the way. It seems to me that buses are the viable transport option here?? I tried the Greyhound website but it's not very helpful when it comes to finding routes and schedules (rather than just booking a ticket to where you already know you're going).

4. What's the best mode of transport between Vancouver and Seattle?

Thanks in advance for your advice. I have virtually no clue when it comes to these parts of the world.

1. Plane is the quickest. The only train is a connection from the Lake Shore Limited to the Maple Leaf at Buffalo; I don't know if this is a good connection because both trains only run once a day.

2. Via Rail always has plenty of seats. There should be no problems for an ordinary summer's day. If it's July 1 or the Civic Holiday weekend (first weekend in August), reservations may be required.

3. Check a map first. The website should have maps under schedules, which is different from ticket booking. Look for the route number.

4. Train or bus for Vancouver-Seattle.

Cross posted with SPK

Yay for Canada!

Chicago to Toronto is a regular flight route. There is also a train if you are so inclined.

Toronto to Ottawa by train is quite a nice trip. The rates are lower if you book in advance.

Keep in mind that airfares don't always go up. I just booked a trip only two weeks in advance and the flights today are actually cheaper than they were on Monday.

Buses take forever even though Montreal to Boston is not very far. Personally, I would do a rideshare - check Craigslist or Kijiji.

I can't answer this one as I am way way over on the right hand side of the country. You know, the best part that you are skipping on this journey!

[ 25. January 2013, 13:31: Message edited by: lily pad ]

Thanks very much, both of you.

And yes, I'm skipping wildly. The world is crazy big, I'm proposing tasting Canada for the first time, and meanwhile I'm realising it's well over a decade since the one and only time I laid eyes on Paris and more than 3 years since I saw Prague...

orfeo, if you can manage it, get to Victoria, on Vancouver Island, a short ferry crossing. You can take the bus on to the ferry and then get bussed into Vic. The bus station is not far from downtown and you can walk and see the harbour, museum and other things. Even if you only have an afternoon, it is definitely worth your time. But the next bit is what you may really enjoy: you can get on a bus from Victoria and take a ferry to Anacortes, Washington, which is the port in the neighbourhood of Seattle. This is a really pretty trip, with short stops at various small islands, opportunity to see seals, sometimes whales etc. It compares to the coastal boat in Norway with warmer temps and no ice in terms of scenery, and while not cheap, is cheaper than that.

I took a ferry from Seattle to Victoria, stayed a little while then a bus from Victoria to Vancouver - it was a great trip.

Posted by kingsfold (# 1726) on :

I did Montreal to Ottawa by bus, which was no problem at all. If memory serves it was the cheaper option, and the buses were as frequent as trains.

Make sure you have an Ottawa shipmeet if you're going that way. They're a fab bunch, and will make you very welcome.

I can but agree with Kingsfold's last sentence. We meet in either an Irish pub or a South Indian restaurant (my favourite for some reason which escapes me)

If you don't mind a fold out futon you don't have to worry about a hotel either (share a room with my computer with an ensuite private bath and toilet)

Comes well recommended by Australians, I'm told.

...your computer has an ensuite??

[Big Grin] The things my brain reads at 3am. I already suffered from "tennis insomnia". "Travel planning insomnia" isn't helping!!

Oh, and thank you very much for the tips about Victoria and the ferry. Sounds very promising. I did have Victoria in the back of my mind actually, thanks to Commonwealth Games coverage back in 1994 that seems to have stayed with me.

Victoria is a small city, very "British" in character. Whilst there I had an outing to Carmanahs-Walbran National Park which was great - wonderful temperate rain forest with some BIG trees!

If you skip Ottawa, orfeo, you'll be persona non grata in Canada forevermore.

Posted by John Holding (# 158) on :

If you have the time, I'd certainly recommend taking in Victoria.

As for Toronto-Ottawa...the bus is just as fast as the train and cheaper. I'd not chance turning up at Union Station and hoping to hop on a train. It might work, but you might have to wait through a couple of trains. My wife travels by rail to Toronto from Ottawa and back several times a year and always books ahead.

Pete has put up people in Ottawa before, as have Mary and I... I'm not going to get into a bidding war, but "queen sized bed" is a phrase that springs to mind in our spare room.

John

quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
... I am way way over on the right hand side of the country ...

Almost. [Devil]

Next time you come, Orfeo, don't forget the mystic East and, of course, Newfoundland.

Have a wonderful trip. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Hey ho, started annoying the Americans so I might as well do the Canadians too... [Big Grin]

Planning a trip for the middle of the year. I'm trying to figure out my best travel options for various bits and pieces.

As far as Canada is concerned, here's what I'm currently thinking about:

1. Chicago to Toronto looks like a plane is the best option. Looks rather too longer for other forms of transport. True?

2. For Toronto to Ottawa, and Ottawa to Montreal, rail looks like quite an attractive option. It looks like there are quite a few trains every day. Would this mean that I could get away with not booking anything until I was in town, ie only a day or two in advance?

3. I've got this vague notion of travelling from Montreal down to Boston but stopping at a couple of towns in New England along the way. It seems to me that buses are the viable transport option here?? I tried the Greyhound website but it's not very helpful when it comes to finding routes and schedules (rather than just booking a ticket to where you already know you're going).

Thanks in advance for your advice. I have virtually no clue when it comes to these parts of the world.

Greyhound tickets to or from US destinations are sold through the greyhound.com (US) website, not greyhound.ca.

There are four daily runs from Montreal to Boston stopping in New Hampshire and Vermont.

Another Victoria-Vancouver suggestion, should you wish to fork out $170.32 (although sometimes you can get a websaver of $74), is seaplane. They take off from one harbour and land in the other-- both very central to downtown, and one reaps a splendid view of the islands through which your ferry wound on the way in.

Should you be very idle in Victoria, Salt Spring and Gabriola islands are ferry-able for a daytrip, and give you an idea of an alternate reality.

History happened today. Heritage Minister James Moore tabled the Succession to the Throne Act, 2012 in the House of Commons.

This is the long-expected revision to the Act of Settlement that ends male primogeniture and further removes the bar to marrying a Roman Catholic.

The bill is the first in a very, very long while to use the provisions of the Statute of Westminster that permits Canada to assent to Imperial legislation specifically on the succession.

It doesn't "permit". It requires.

John

Devotees of constitutional minutiae and nomenclature will note that the act refers to Roman Catholics, and not Catholics.

And Anglicans count as Protestant for school-board purposes. [Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:

The language of that has changed somewhat, with the terms "public school" and "separate school" used in western Canada rather than the religious language. Separate being the religious minority. It is a constitutional oddity that we are apparently stuck with.

A friend's Quebec birth certificate lists her religion as"Hebrew ". As I recall it had check boxes for Roman Catholic, Protestant, and Hebrew.

quote:

Catholics federally, and Protestant provincially. If Hooker only could foresee such wonders.

quote:
... Anglicans count as Protestant for school-board purposes. [Razz]

It always pissed us off in Northern Ireland that the only options in the religious affiliation question* were "Protestant", "Catholic" (not Roman Catholic) or "Neither".

As Anglicans we didn't really want to be called "Protestant", but if we'd called ourselves "Catholic" they'd have got the wrong end of the stick. If there was space, we always added "Church of Ireland", just to annoy them.

"Protestant", "Anglican" and "Italian Mission" might have worked better ... [Big Grin]

* It appeared on all job application forms to keep the Equal Opportunities jobsworths happy.

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
quote:

Catholics federally, and Protestant provincially. If Hooker only could foresee such wonders.
And your communion agreements with the Lutherans, who are Proudly Protestant, and the fact that Anglicans are Protestant to Statistics Canada, and for Section 93 remedial purposes, Anglicans are Protestant, but that's still a Federal power [Razz] . And the House of Commons translator who translated "Church of England" as "Église Protestant" the other day at the Heritage Minister's scrum on the Succession to the Throne Act.

And then there's the Methodists (ahem) [Smile] . which reminds me, the Anglican Church of Canada and the United Church of Canada have started a dialogue which may produce an agreement similar to the one you have with the Lutherans.

And then there is real reason I wanted to post, which was that I just finished translating all of my (very English) NDP Riding Association's Resolutions into French so they will be more noticeable at this year's Federal Convention in Montreal.

Translators and correspondence officers are a black hole of despair when it comes to ecclesiastical issues. I had several times to ensure that ministers of the Crown did not address cardinals and primates as Dear Reverend. Whatever you do in life, do not rely on them for an exercise of the magisterium with respect to ecclesiological issues.

I'm wondering if both Catholics and Protestants might be categorized as Jedi, at least on the census.

Posted by poileplume (# 16438) on :

In Quebec the Jews used to be categorised as Protestant by the school board. I thought you would like to know that totally valueless trivia.

Round here in solid French speaking Quebec, Anglicans / Christians are catholic.

Heard at my Anglican Church meeting” There aren’t any Protestant Churches around here”

I asked the congregation if they wanted Morning Prayer sometimes called Matins occasionally. To a man / woman they replied “What is Morning Prayer?”

There goes the joke that since there are three Anglicans in your town, poileplume, you could hold Mattins in the Gin Bottle. But not a mitten, that's where the United Church meets.

On more totally inane and irrelevant Quebec trivia, in French the United Church is Huguenot and flies the Huguenot Cross. This is not theoretical, we are the Reformed Church in French in Quebec (the other claimant only started operations in the 1990's). We also have longstanding relationship with the Reformed Church of France, because French Protestantism is a very small world.

**bump**

Just read Wodders' post about tidying up All Saints, so I thought I'd bump this thread in case it gets lost.

You'd have been okay as our projected provisional target date is a bit earlier - and would I dare delete the Canada thread whilst Pete is resident here?

[What a pity I didn't think of that during H&A Days!]

So I can report that on Monday, 18 February, 2013, I went into the local Timmy's. And lo it was the first day of RUTRTW. (At least, on Saturday before, we weren't being invited to RUTRTW). And lo, I ordered a small coffee -- not, as is my wont, in a mug to save the environment but in a paper cup because they were going to give it to me anyway. And lo I won a free coffee.

Not that I expect any other winnings, but still.

I take it, from the silence on this thread, that I am indeed the first.

Rejoice with me, brethren and sistren!

John

Congratulations, John!

Congrats.

I read your thing and thought, "Wait a minute, they don't do roll up the rim for smalls." Then I realised everything got supersized and the national lottery is now available to even those who want a less of that gawd awful swill they call coffee.

(I must admit I haven't tried yet as the hot chocolate now comes with coconut oil in it and I need a few weeks in between Timmies coffee to forge the taste)

I haven't gagnezed anything yet.
I confess to having tried a "latte" from McDonalds. It tasted like liquid pencil shavings.

quote:
I haven't gagnezed anything yet.
I confess to having tried a "latte" from McDonalds ...

If you carry on doing that, you'll gagnez bugger-all.

Which is what I've done so far, despite having had at least five Timmies since Monday.

Hmph. [Frown]

**bump**

My Beloved, who has gagnezed several cafés, very kindly gave me a rim this morning, and you can imagine my horror when I got to the main Timmy's at w*rk to find it was "closed due to staff shortages". [Eek!]

There's another one in the building, but it would have had a queue half-way to Halifax, so I made do with coffee from an ordinary coffee shop. [Disappointed]

However, I put this deficiency right this afternoon and gagnezed un café. [Yipee]

About bloody time too. [Devil]

The Ontario Redistribution Report is now in and the horrid boundaries of the Draft Report for Eastern and Central Ontario are now rectified. My riding is back to its tight little compact self, with a few extra townships.

[Smile]

Interesting how the commission took as one of its strongest mandates to maintain the rural/urban divide.

I suspect in 20 years this will change.

And yet in their section on Central and Eastern Ontario, they said when they tried to respect that "mandate", they got massive feedback. I should know, I was one of the people telling the Commission that.

I was at the Belleville hearing and the rest of the NDP Riding Executive was at the Cobourg hearing. Justice Valin, a curmudgeonly sort of judge, said that it was almost impossible to keep Counties together. He was sort of patronizing, as judges are wont to be when lawyers or presenters run up against the judge's own views.

The Cobourg hearing was the best attended in Ontario with 50 presenters. Justice Valin took my advice in the end. The Commission's report says that "people in this part of Ontario are deeply attached to their counties, some of which go back to the late 18th Century and the founding of Upper Canada."

Now it seems that Timmy's at w*rk is "closed until further notice". [Waterworks]

How the hell am I supposed to gagnez anything (not that I am anyway - my total this year is still un café)? [Frown]

I'm not sure what the reason is, although I suspect it's something to do with it being part of the Health Science Centre, so the staff are paid Eastern Health rates, i.e. a lot more than the staff in ordinary outlets. As a result, it doesn't make any money, despite nearly always being busy.

One of the things I vaguely miss about winters chez Wodders is the RUTR.

Ah well, I can get milk chai, specially made at a stall run by a neighbour beside one of the local mosques. A nice hot glassful and only 5 rupees a glass. Just have to remember to park off the road, otherwise it's a drive-in!

Ah well, time enough for RUTR when I do my weekly outing from Shady Pines Rest Home.

[Votive]

RIP Stompin Tom

quote:
The girls are out to bingo
And the boys are gettin' stinko
We'll think no more of INCO...

[Waterworks]

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
... How the hell am I supposed to gagnez anything (not that I am anyway - my total this year is still un café)? [Frown]

Having braved the queue at the other Timmy's, my gagnezing rate has dramatically increased: 2 cafés on Wednesday, another one with one of those rims, used that one this morning and lo and behold! gagnezed yet another café.

[Yipee]

No cars or $5000 pre-paid credit cards though ... [Disappointed]

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

Ontario's a good place to get sick. Just had the pleasure of telling American brother-in-law about the hideous costs of getting an MRI scan in Canada. Had to wait a whole week, and then had to shell out ten dollars for hospital parking. Terrible, eh? They could pay a couple of thousand for a scan.

I'm having flashbacks to last Sunday's sermon. Our priest listed the three things that distinguish us as Canadians: Timmy's and health care were the first two. Now all we need is someone to mention our abundance of fresh water and we're 3 for 3.

I was told when I moved here that a Canadian is an unarmed American with proper health-care.

It's not true though: Canadians are much nicer. [Smile]

An article from La Presse complaining that Jack is only in English and the Orange Wave doesn't get enough coverage.

The Irony Meter just exploded.

Radio-Canada wouldn't touch it. That lot of Separatists are still sulking...

Quebec all of a sudden opted for an utterly Anglophone party that reeks of the United Church.

Dear Quebec:

Ok, we'd talk more about the Orange Wave but we don't understand it either. We still love you and we hope you still love us.

Yours truly,

English Canada, the NDP and SPK, who is a delegate for his utterly English Central Ontario riding to the Montreal NDP convention next month.

The NDP is well known for shooting itself in the left foot. Why are you surprised? The Orange Wave was a 2011 phenomenon which even startled the Anglo-echelons of a so-called socialist party. By the time the next election rolls along, it will be nothing but a beery burp of a footnote.

At the movie? Not surprised in the least. At the article? Well, a little understanding on both sides would be nice....

Can't I laugh at the World Turned Upside Down?

My riding executive as much as said to me that I'm being sent to Convention to provide the social lubrication. A large number of confused Francophones in a party that isn't known for speaking French need somebody to talk to. This isn't the Liberal Party.

The online RUTR Site registration fails if you actually read the Terms and Conditions, at least from the device I am using. I am amused but not registered.

That sounds way too complicated for Tim's.

Just run of the mill incompetence, I think.

Anyone spied the comet - the one in the sky, not our shipmate. I have tried without success.

Haven't seen it in Real Life, although there was quite an impressive bit of footage on the Weather Channel the other day. No chance tonight - it's cloudy. [Frown]

Hard to see the comet through the slight blizzard but I am sure it is/was there.

which leaves me wondering if our Comet was also in a "slight blizzard" as well, but the Weather Network assures me that there was no significant precip up her way.

Today's storm watch cancellations produced the longest list of the winter. Must be spring.

I would have thought that having the weather service saying no precipitation pretty much guarantees a blizzard!

A CBC weatherman said today that if we sent search parties out to look for Spring, we would not find hide not hair of it.

But you lot better by April 25.

I love Dave Phillips -- so often his statements contain some wonderfully misapplied cliche.

"The weather Canadians are experiencing in March 2013 is, according to Phillips, historically quite normal and unremarkable." -- same CBC report

It only seems cold compared to last March, when we had record-breaking highs. But I'll gladly take this year's weather over last year's: tree fruit crops were just about wiped out in southern Ontario in 2012 by the cold snap after the warm spell. Not to mention it's Just Wrong to wear short sleeves outside in March.

Well, I spent a perfectly pleasant weekend in Montreal at the NDP Convention. [Smile]

I haven't been to Montreal before. I can now say that I LOVE the place, and unfortunately Toronto is a dump.

I did manage to make the pilgrimage to Schwartz's and had the True Sandwich. Yum. [Big Grin]

And for those Liberals on board, I don't think you have a clue what is about to hit you. We are going to stick the knife in Mr. Trudeau's front. [Devil]

For what you are about to receive.....

Well, I wasn't going to ask the obvious question, but since you have made your usual comments about the mammoth NDP wave that's going to overwhelm the Liberals: Now that you (the party)'ve renounced socialism and, I take it, foresworn social democracy, why on earth would anyone with left-wing principles stick with you? Its not so much the fact that you don't seem to have any particular principles at all anymore, after the convention, it's that the NDP has given up on the only thing that united it for most of its history and the only thing that, IMO, justified its existence.

AS for the mammoth wave you foresee, obviously no one can tell whatis going to happen in 2 years. And I don't actually attach a whole lot of importance to specific polls, preferring to consider the trend and not read too much into any one poll. I would point out, however, that at the moment the Liberals are in first place in the polls, ahead of the Conservatives. And in third place -- admittedly ahead of the Greens -- why, the NDP. And all three placements are roughly in the trend of recent months, though I will admit the size of the Liberal lead is certainly over-recorded.

John

As John Holding says, there's no point in speculating what will happen in 2 years time. I would note that several of my desengagé friends are looking with wary interest at young Mr T. They have not heard much in the way of optimism and possibilities for some years now.

I must admit that I enjoyed voting by telephone on Friday afternoon. The barista was so impressed by my commitment to democracy that she gave me extra foam (shades of Taylor, the Latte Boy.

quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
Well, I wasn't going to ask the obvious question, but since you have made your usual comments about the mammoth NDP wave that's going to overwhelm the Liberals: Now that you (the party)'ve renounced socialism and, I take it, foresworn social democracy, why on earth would anyone with left-wing principles stick with you? Its not so much the fact that you don't seem to have any particular principles at all anymore, after the convention, it's that the NDP has given up on the only thing that united it for most of its history and the only thing that, IMO, justified its existence.

AS for the mammoth wave you foresee, obviously no one can tell whatis going to happen in 2 years. And I don't actually attach a whole lot of importance to specific polls, preferring to consider the trend and not read too much into any one poll. I would point out, however, that at the moment the Liberals are in first place in the polls, ahead of the Conservatives. And in third place -- admittedly ahead of the Greens -- why, the NDP. And all three placements are roughly in the trend of recent months, though I will admit the size of the Liberal lead is certainly over-recorded.

John

Sorry John, you are sadly misinformed. Resolution 7-02-13 clearly states:

quote:
New Democrats seek a future which brings together the best of the insights and objectives of Canadians who, within the social democratic and democratic socialist traditions, have worked together through farmer labour, co-operative, feminist, human rights and environmental movements to build a more just, equal and sustainable Canada within a global community dedicated to the same goals.
As Rev. Bill Blaikie (who sat on the Revision Commission) so ably put it, we foreswore nothing and gave up nothing. We discussed resolutions that wouldn't get a look-in anywhere else. And that's why the resolution passed with 2/3 support.

As for polls, Eric Grenier and 308.com have predicted nothing of the sort, so I don't know what you're reading. The only bump the Liberals have gotten is in the last month and only with the Abacus Poll. In March, our worst result on 308.com we are only 7 seats behind you and the NDP is STILL ahead of the Liberal Party in Quebec. Most months have the NDP on top both in popular vote and especially in seats.

As well, you do remember that Justin has a record like this hum-dinger: Justin Trudeau saying he wouldn't run a Government of Canada by, for and of all Canadians. which I and my colleagues will repeatedly remind Canadians of stating now. [Devil]

How did he ever get past vetting?

SPK writes:
quote:
As well, you do remember that Justin has a record like this hum-dinger: Justin Trudeau saying he wouldn't run a Government of Canada by, for and of all Canadians. which I and my colleagues will repeatedly remind Canadians of stating now.

Ah... I thought it was Stephen Harper doing that... doubtless he will be glad of the NDP's work, then, as it will save him resources.

I do not know if anyone is tracking this, but my conversations with people are suggesting that the attack approach, so beloved of the Conservatives (and others?) has begun to pall. One of my diplomatic friends wondered if, faced with a choice between two stern and theoretically efficient men, Canadians were wondering if there were other possibilities.

In any case, I'll be in Montréal in a few days and will be taking sake with one of my pollster friends, who has been infallible for the past five elections, and ask him how he thinks things might be going in two years. Let's hope that we are all here in two years! (PS No Schwartz' for me-- I will be at the Sala Rosa, where the late and blessed Lhasa de Sela sang, enjoying pulpo and rioja).

It's not an attack ad if it's true.

quote:
It's not an attack ad if it's true.

So John Baird once said.

There are a few things that are toxic at the polls. One is engaging in nasty identity politics and saying that one area of the country isn't good enough for government. And I think Justin has to pay the price for his mistake.

His comments are positively deadly in this part of Ontario.

Yes because the most important thing to Canadians is somebody paying a political price. [Roll Eyes]

We need to get a phrase that corresponds to the US term "Within the Beltway".

Cause a lot of what passes for political discourse in this country is just not cared about or used as a measuring stick by Canadians.

[ 17. April 2013, 00:33: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

You want to elect someone who won't treat every province equally and with respect, be my guest. I prefer a leader who runs a national government on behalf of all provinces.

Justin is not his father and this is but one example, no matter how much the son is trying to run a nostalgia campaign.

Anyway, I can say that our party goal is to return 100 incumbents and 100 new MP's in 2015. You do the math.

Aside from the observation that I prefer leaders to work for Canadians and not their separate bits of territory, the political reality will not be NDP/Con/Lib/Green parties' goals, but how voters (and those who influence them) will view the separate leaders and how those leaders mesh with Canadians' aspirations. The deep polling, of which I sometimes hear whiffs (to mix a metaphor), suggests a lack of attachment to images of two grumpy and theoretically efficient middle-aged bean-counters. Whether or not that absence of enthusiasm will manifest itself in a movement of voters in two years' time will not be evident for some while yet. That both NDP and Conservative backroom folk, caffeinated to the gills, are riveting themselves to their regression analysis tables is the only fact of which we can now be certain.

Party affiliations, as such, are weaker than ever in our history. This has caused much bitter frustration to party organizers. O well.

@Og. Geographically, we could say between the Queensway and the River... most accurately, between Wellington and Lisgar Streets.

quote:
Aside from the observation that I prefer leaders to work for Canadians and not their separate bits of territory, the political reality will not be NDP/Con/Lib/Green parties' goals, but how voters (and those who influence them) will view the separate leaders and how those leaders mesh with Canadians' aspirations. The deep polling, of which I sometimes hear whiffs (to mix a metaphor), suggests a lack of attachment to images of two grumpy and theoretically efficient middle-aged bean-counters. Whether or not that absence of enthusiasm will manifest itself in a movement of voters in two years' time will not be evident for some while yet. That both NDP and Conservative backroom folk, caffeinated to the gills, are riveting themselves to their regression analysis tables is the only fact of which we can now be certain.
Oh dear, you didn't fall for Justin's "Youth" line, did you Augustine? That man is 41. We have a good number of our caucus (often much) younger then he is. I am 30 and I'm not young by NDP standards. I don't remember the (pere) Trudeau years, I wasn't even born for most of them. My generation, "the youth", doesn't care about what we don't remember.

The next person who mutters "Justin" and "Youth" and I am going to start parading our caucus: Alexandrine Lantandresse, Alexandre Boiliveau, Anne Quach, Hoang Mai, Niki Ashton, the entire McGill Contingent..... Shall I go on?

It's not the 1970's anymore!

Well, I do remember the Christmas when JT was born, and lo it was a while ago. He's still younger than most.

I'd like to believe that ideas and policies count, but I live in a riding that's safe Tory. Run a blue rock, and it will win here.

quote:
quote:
Oh dear, you didn't fall for Justin's "Youth" line, did you Augustine? That man is 41. We have a good number of our caucus (often much) younger then he is. I am 30 and I'm not young by NDP standards. I don't remember the (pere) Trudeau years, I wasn't even born for most of them. My generation, "the youth", doesn't care about what we don't remember.

The next person who mutters "Justin" and "Youth" and I am going to start parading our caucus: Alexandrine Lantandresse, Alexandre Boiliveau, Anne Quach, Hoang Mai, Niki Ashton, the entire McGill Contingent..... Shall I go on?

It's not the 1970's anymore!

I fear, SPK, that you drew several erroneous conclusions from my post. I referred to perceptions in general, offering none of my own (as they're not that relevant here and no political organizer will construct a strategy on the thoughts of A the A). I know one and a half of the McGill contingent myself, so need no introductions--- indeed, I think that they are among the jewels of our House of Commons, although I've yet to find anyone who seems to agree with me (aside from some Clerks of Committees of the House). I would like to see some of them returned at the next election.

quote:
@Og. Geographically, we could say between the Queensway and the River... most accurately, between Wellington and Lisgar Streets.

I like that. Thanks.

[Yipee]

Oh, and SPK, I do realise the deep hatred of the Libs and Trudeau jr. the current NDP has. He threatens them and their only recently gained but oft seen rightful place as the official opposition to the evil Tories and thus government in waiting; and he does that without seeming to have earned the right to threaten. And like the other 4 party leaders in the House, he has said stuff that is foolish.

But, the notion of the party of Tommy Douglas, and Jack Layton, now caring about making sure somebody "pays a political price"? That is back room party boss talk and Canadians do not give a darn to hear that sort of thing. We would prefer the various lots just try to get stuff done.

Part of me hopes the recent back bench revolt would get the speaker off his duff and allow for some real work to happen again in Parliament and the Senate by stripping party discipline down a bit more. I think we'd have less rancour all around. But I have my doubts that said Speaker would have the political fortitude to do so.

I know my people here in this riding. The one thing they won't abide is a federal politician saying that they aren't good enough to run Canada. Mr. Trudeau crossed that line and handed his competitors a sword. I will use that sword. He cannot be allowed to escape the consequences of his statements, no federal politician can be let off the hook on so essential an issue as equal and respectful participation of all parts of Canada in the Government of Canada.

There are a few things no federal political leader can say or do. The first is to say that one province isn't good enough or that one province is better than the others, that's nasty identity politics. You can't treat your family that way and it's a lesson John A Macdonald knew as long ago as 1856. Mr. Trudeau violated that rule. He has made his bed and he will lie in it. He tried one of the oldest tricks in the book, saying one thing in English and another in French when he thought the other language wasn't looking. His mistake. That trick expired 20 years ago when English Canada's media learned to speak French (to get stories).

The second rule is that the era of unilingual federal party leaders is gone, over, dead, and its never coming back. The NDP Convention is fluently bilingual, on the stage and on the floor.

Og, this isn't your father's NDP. This is a party that will not be a bag of votes for the Liberals and that is going to put up one hell of a fight. We are going for government in 2015, and if that road goes through the corpse of the Liberal Party, so be it. Bring it on. The Federal NDP will do to the Federal Liberals what we did to the (real) provincial Liberals in Saskatchewan, Manitoba, BC* and possibly Nova Scotia: send them to oblivion.

*The BC Liberals are Tories.

[ 17. April 2013, 03:40: Message edited by: Sober Preacher's Kid ]

We shall take comfort in that the House of Commons is physically designed so that members on opposite sides are outside a sword's reach.

I will repeat, yet again, my stake of a bottle of decent Prince Edward County pinot gris that, within a week of election day, Messrs Mulcair and Trudeau will be cheerfully (while perhaps cursing beneath their breath) embracing each other as loviong brothers in the common struggle of reconstruction and united purpose.

quote:
I fear, SPK, that you drew several erroneous conclusions from my post. I referred to perceptions in general, offering none of my own (as they're not that relevant here and no political organizer will construct a strategy on the thoughts of A the A). I know one and a half of the McGill contingent myself, so need no introductions--- indeed, I think that they are among the jewels of our House of Commons, although I've yet to find anyone who seems to agree with me (aside from some Clerks of Committees of the House). I would like to see some of them returned at the next election.
M'dear Augustine (for whom I have the greatest personal respect), you founded your post on some Liberal party polling, which is an appeal to authority, and you phrased it as your own opinion, thereby embracing it. You fell into Justin's (fallacious) narrative and you elided over the fact that there's more to the NDP than Tom Mulcair. It's Team 2015 around here.

You repeated the Liberal Party's narrative, which isn't the NDP narrative. There's no "non-partisan" here.

I'll give you that party allegiances are flightly, but how is the Liberal Party going to compete with an NDP that is competing for those same flighty votes, just the way it's done out West? There's no such thing as "non-partisan" or "non-ideological". How exactly are you going to compete when the NDP won't let you use us as a bag of votes? Rather, we're going to use some of you as a bag of votes for us, and then go after the loose Tories. And that's game.

You (and Canada) can have the Liberals or the NDP but not both. In the end, there can be only one.

Maybe, and it will be Prime Minister Mulcair, with the larger block of votes and seats. I don't care about Ireland, that is the way it's done in Canada. The NDP will confidently sit back and offer the Liberals some tidbits, and the Liberals will be begging for Justice (the Department, for judicial appointments), and your lawyer supporters will pull their hair out if you don't get it. And my comrades will sit back, savour the glory of being in the driver's seat, and bask in the glory of it all while our guy sits in front of the mace.

A bottle Gibson's Gold Label says that the Liberals will be more uncomfortable than the NDP come 2015 at it all.

Wrong on almost every count, SPK. It was not Liberal Party polling-- I haven't had access to that since when you were but a mewling infant in a manse. Without chapter and versing it, one major firm, a minor firm, and a think tank supremo (relatively non-partisan, but not a friend of the government and, since 1997, utterly infallible in his predictions).

Your second error is to assume (why?) that I "elide over the fact that the NDP is more than Tom Mulcair." Au contraire! my (likely incoherent) ramblings on the topic normally mention the strength of caucus, particular the newly-elected Québec MPs. I have always hoped that the NDP be more than Tom Mulcair, as I have never been a big fan of his.

The leader-focus of public feeling and public discourse is so powerful that one cannot ignore it, much as I think it is unhealthy-- party affiliations weaken by the hour, as do church memberships, and voluntary organizations generally. Predictions at this stage are a mug's game, and I have seen back room boys & gals toss their strategies back and forth, but it is voters decide what (and who) gets tossed. I will simply quote the lines which I prepared for a friend of a friend who was running (and who miserably lost, likely because he didn't use my brilliant words): Canadians will decide the numbers, and those elected are bound to work with them, no matter what they might be.

My dear Augustine:

You had an Argumentum ad populum cast as an Appeal to Authority in your post and it undercut the rest of the post. This plus the Justin narrative did nothing for your point.

quote:
I haven't had access to that since when you were but a mewling infant in a manse.
That's not funny and a personal attack.

Augustine, I know you too well to think that such as well-connected gentleman as yourself, and you are extremely well connected, were not quoting the products of a pollster intended for a party, very likely the Liberal Party, the kind that circulates in Ottawa's air by Ottawa's very nature. Polling it may be, but neutral it is not.

If you want to see the NDP as cute (I take it your opinion on the McGill Caucus is that they are cute and worthy), you are more then welcome to. But as I said, the NDP is through with cute. Canada can have the Liberals, they can have the NDP, but they can't have both. I would have thought you would understand the sharp edge of competitive politics.

Before we totally wear out the AS Host's patience, may I humbly suggest we continue this somewhat heated but interesting political tangent in Purg? I'll start a thread tomorrow.

quote:
Before we totally wear out the AS Host's patience, may I humbly suggest we continue this somewhat heated but interesting political tangent in Purg? I'll start a thread tomorrow.

This is an EXCELLENT idea as my tether end was being reached even before I went out shopping and then came back a few minutes ago to another half dozen posts. As far as All Saints is concerned this subject is now officially deceased!

May those that have ears to hear, etc.

WW
AS Host.

Might I redirect the thread into the hardly less contentious subject of weather? Western Canadian weather at that. It was -13°C this morning. The snail's pace of melting means there is still a metre of snow in front of the house, ruts and potholes enough to throw politicians into where they can fight it out sight unseen. The weather also means we are all feeling mightily sorry for ourselves. Spring, maybe it will occur in June?

quote:
Spring, maybe it will occur in June?

Of what year? [Waterworks]

I would like to report a sighting of spring. I spent a large part of the afternoon in glorious sunshine sitting on a bench eating ice cream in the Public Gardens.

[Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Waterworks]

As I'm sure the National media will tell you all, its going to be 22 degrees and sunny tomorrow afternoon here in the National media's playground.

[Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Waterworks]

Good Heavens, I've been raking leaves off the lawn and flowerbeds for a week now. The crocuses and tulips are up, as is the rhubarb, and the pussy-willows are showing.

And the first sightings of shorts are long past.

Posted by Barnabas Aus (# 15869) on :

Looking for some advice here. We are to land in Vancouver at the end of next week, and spend the next month cruising the Inside Passage, and travelling around BC and parts of Alberta, much of it by rail.

Given recent comments upthread on the slowness of spring's arrival, I am seeking some local knowledge on the sorts of clothing and other gear we need to pack.

Here in Australia we are in the opposite position - well into autumn and still in short-sleeved shirts, although the nights have been cooling quickly this week.

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

I can recall arriving in Canada one time about this time of year. Coming from elsewherein the same hemisphere, it was as if the calendar had gone back a month. We'd left trees and hedges lush with green, and suddenly it was back to twigs and buds.

But OTOH, whereas spring/summer in Britain comes and goes, before deciding to be, on the whole, summery (or not,as the case may be), in Canada it was bang! lights, action and straight into summer.

Also we were in Ontario, and visiting countryside, which is a stupid idea, as the black fly are humongous in Spring.

My parents would always go to Ontario for a couple of weeks at this time of year in order to enjoy their spring. The Atlantic coast does not have such a reliable springtime.

As far as British Columbia goes, the season does not determine the clothing you need. It can be lovely weather at sea level and yet you would need a warm coat, hat, and gloves at the higher elevations. Of course, it can be raining at any time so a jacket with a hood and and umbrella should be packed. Or wait to buy an umbrella as a souvenir of the trip!

quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
... The Atlantic coast does not have such a reliable springtime ...

From my observations since moving to Newfoundland 10 years ago it's not that it's unreliable, it's that it's short. Very short: one day (usually about the third Tuesday in May at about 2:30 in the afternoon) you realise that there's a greenish tinge in the room, and when you look outside the tree in the back garden is clothed in greenery, having been completely bare the day before.

The following day the temperature shoots up to about 20°C with a Humidex value of 30 where it'll remain (with the odd break for fog and icebergs) until mid-August. [Eek!]

Spring!!!!

Forsythia, muscle cars, motorbikes, shorts, ice cream, patios.

For one brief day in Toronto, it has been spring!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
in Canada it was bang! lights, action and straight into summer.

Yup - we started last week with snow flurries and ended it at 20C for Friday's high. Capris, sandals and IceCaps abounded - and I've no doubt they will again later this week, after we dip to a high of 1 Freaking Degree on Tuesday. Welcome to parka-and-shorts season. [Disappointed]

Here in foggy-but-not-really-cold Newfoundland I have (temporarily) discarded my socks, to the horror of my friends ("Good God, you've got your toes out! [Eek!] "). Well, the temperature was in double figures ... [Big Grin]

Did some garden work today, and to my surprise, I found that the bottom of the compost is still frozen solid. I suppose compost is good insulation, but that good?

quote:
Originally posted by Meg the Red:
Welcome to parka-and-shorts season. [Disappointed]

You said it. Roasting hot inside a vehicle; blasting cold wind directly from Satan's frozen arse once you step outside.

I hope I may share a thought I had today that made me smile. I imagined Ralph Klein in the afterlife, cooking and serving meals to homeless men in heaven's kitchen.

Do the homeless men get to show up drunk, chuck money at Ralph and tell him to pull himself up by his bootstraps? [Biased]

[ 29. April 2013, 18:45: Message edited by: Meg the Red ]

My dear Meg, you will be pleased to know that a Relief Column is on the way to you. The next Federal NDP Convention will be in Edmonton in 2015. [Big Grin]

Gadzooks the weather is ridiculous batman!

+19 on Saturday, -4 this morning, and we've snowfall warnings of 10-15 cm (up to 6"). Why did I get the bicycle all ready to go?

Because you'll need it the day after the snowfall, that's why!

I'm counting on it, Pete!

(gazes longingly at Euphemia the Wonderbike)

Hey folks,

Just to give you a bit of a warning I'm heading your way. Will be in Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal over the very end of May/first couple of weeks in June. Will you have spring sorted out by then?

Also spending a few days in Vancouver during July.

See shortly a new thread on Orfeo and the National Capital Region. Shipmates in TOronto, Vancouver and Montreal are warned that they'll have to do the same for him.

John

Toronto's having a delightful spring, orfeo! This week we've had 20+ C, cloudless sky, trees blossoming (a mixed blessing for allergy sufferers, though).

quote:
Hey folks,

Just to give you a bit of a warning I'm heading your way. Will be in Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal over the very end of May/first couple of weeks in June. Will you have spring sorted out by then?

Also spending a few days in Vancouver during July.

The problem is I'm halfway between Toronto and Ottawa, and I blew my budget on the NDP Convention in Montreal, so I'm not making a three-hour trek to Ottawa or Toronto.

Oh well, there's an easy solution. Take the early train from Toronto to Belleville, get off and have lunch with me, and then get back on a later train to Ottawa. What say ye, orfeo?

I say that I've already booked my train ticket and I'm not sure it allows such clever schemes...

What kind of ticket did you book? Via is lenient on rebooking this far ahead. Do you have a supersaver, discounted or regular ticket?

Um... "Economy - escape fare (Web only)"

Non-exchangeable and non-refundable in red letters.

[Disappointed]

Well, you have two choices:

1) Get off at Belleville and book a ticket for later in the day ($61 Supersaver one-way, can be booked online), and I'll take you to lunch. There are no Escape fares from Toronto to Belleville so your existing ticket is likely what you would have paid for a one-way fare anyway.

2) Not do (1) and I'll [Waterworks] .

What date and time is your train from Toronto?

[ 09. May 2013, 00:14: Message edited by: Sober Preacher's Kid ]

Well, the sods have just informed me in the last couple of days that they no longer do checked luggage, so there's no risk of my luggage carrying onto Ottawa without me...

We're talking Monday June 3. However, the particular train (#54) does not show a stop in Belleville. It appears that quite a few of the trains whizz on past there.

So I don't think this is going to work.

However, John (who I'm staying with) was discussing the possibility of a day trip to Kingston later in the week, so if Ottawa is difficult for you and Belleville is difficult for me, a rendezvous in Kingston might be an option to hold out for.

Ah, got it figured out. [Smile]

Train 54 does not stop at Belleville, but does stop at Cobourg, which is the same distance away from me. Belleville is East, Cobourg is West. So you can stop at Cobourg if you wish.

Train 46 will put you back on track to Ottawa.

OR

I can do Kingston Shipmeet, if so desired. John knows my face and I know his, but unfortunately I don't know yours, so that may be best.

Your choice. [Big Grin]

"No Checked Luggage" means they don't carry baggage cars anymore. Which they don't. There is a rack at the front of the car for your luggage between the door and the seats. Your true carry-ons go overhead in the luggage compartment.

[ 09. May 2013, 02:20: Message edited by: Sober Preacher's Kid ]

quote:
Originally posted by Lothiriel:
Toronto's having a delightful spring, orfeo! This week we've had 20+ C, cloudless sky, trees blossoming (a mixed blessing for allergy sufferers, though).

It has just come to my attention, however, that the forecast for next week is 11 degrees.

*packs coat*

Give my regards to Kingston. If you're standing on the waterfront - as you will be - just by the Spirit of Sir John A, look up at the condominium to your right. If you see a little old lady on the 10th floor, drinking a glass of rum and water, give her a wave from me.

I can see myself being questioned by the police about why I'm staring so intently at the nearby buildings...

quote:
quote:

It has just come to my attention, however, that the forecast for next week is 11 degrees.

*packs coat*

Yes, it's always a good idea to have a warm layer handy in Canada in spring. But that dip in temps will only last a couple of days, and then it's back to t-shirts. [Cool]

When will you be in Toronto?

Toronto... *flicks through notes again* that'd be arriving 29 May, leaving 3 June.

Chris Hadfield is so flipping cool.

He nailed Bowie and wonder and space travel and astronaut regret in one music video.

Posted by marsupial. (# 12458) on :

quote:
Toronto... *flicks through notes again* that'd be arriving 29 May, leaving 3 June.

I'm in Toronto, but unfortunately those dates are really bad for me -- family in town etc. Not sure where the rest of the Toronto crowd is these days.

Not sure whether you'd be looking for suggestions for an Anglican Sunday service in Toronto but if you are feel free to PM me. Or for that matter for any other Toronto info.

Happy Sacred May Long Weekend, compatriots! [Big Grin]

It isn't actually so happy here. The weather has been terrible, and we've had a very long cold spring. Ice is still on the lakes where people would normally be going! Campground bookings have fallen by more than half. To top it off, it's supposed to rain all three days. It's enough to make you question the existence of a merciful Creator.

At least there hasn't been flooding, so I guess that falls in the category of "less misery than expected." The Spirit of Eeyore hath descended upon us all.

I don't think we're expecting very holiday-ish weather either - I think 4°, thunderstorms and about an inch of rain was what was on offer for Newfoundland.

As we haven't got a cabin or cottage, I'm not hugely bothered for myself - I should really use the day off to do a bit of spring-cleaning ... [Eek!]

Hope those of you that do have a good weekend. [Smile]

Sunny, but cold, here in the Centre of the Universe™ (self-proclaimed, but delusional)

Posted by Trudy Scrumptious (# 5647) on :

Classic cold, rain-drizzle-and-fog May long weekend here in St. John's. We're staying in town (we do have a cabin, but don't even both turning the water on till late June) but my teenage daughter is supposed to be heading to a friend's cabin this evening with the promise of roasting hot dogs over a campfire and sleeping out in the trailer. Sooner her than me, I'd say.

Okay-ish here in the true centre *nudges PeteC out of the way* -- 17-20-22 over the next three days, with clouds and bits of rain. Can't complain after frigid wind and sleet last weekend.

So, is there a particular reason the whole of downtown Toronto is a construction site, or is this just an annual thing between the ground thawing and the summer activities kicking in?

quote:
So, is there a particular reason the whole of downtown Toronto is a construction site, or is this just an annual thing between the ground thawing and the summer activities kicking in?

It's pretty much constant year-round. We seem to have a desperate shortage of towering condo buildings [Roll Eyes]

Posted by marsupial. (# 12458) on :

There are two seasons in southern Ontario: winter and construction season.

Here the council spends the summer mending the roads that they broke in the winter with salt and snow-ploughs. Unfortunately, they don't do it very well, so they get broken again next winter.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:
Here the council spends the summer mending the roads that they broke in the winter with salt and snow-ploughs. Unfortunately, they don't do it very well, so they get broken again next winter.

You have an excuse. Here in distinctly temperate South-East Wales the roads are patched and covered every March (spend the money before end of financial year), dug up by utilities to undo the council's good work all summer, then the damp comes and, with traffic too heavy for the roadbase, everything breaks up. Return, repeat.

My wife and I love Via 1. Took it last week on our every 4 years vacation. No wait, no lineups, free drinks, free papers, decent meal, big comfy chairs.

All for about $30 more per trip per person.

Oh, and yes Ottawa is lovely to visit, but you do have a lot of building construction going on around the downtown. Money to spend it seems.

That and Bridgeheads popping up like Starbucks. I saw more of those then I saw Tim's (yes, we did not get all that far out of the Elgin area where we were staying).

And we noticed that most of the male joggers had love handles while almost all the bikes people were riding were high sitting touring ones (not 10 speed racing types).

That and your suit type people are all talking and getting somewhere eventually. Toronto's suit type people are all serious and on the move.

Oh, and Gatineau reminded us of parts of Kitchener, actually.

Loads of fun.

[ 05. June 2013, 03:35: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

The State Government here is now insisting on durability guarantees for road work - the contractors ain't happy and no proof yet that it will work but it seems a step in the right direction.

Montreal grand prix weekend. Fancy cars, pretty women and impromptu VIP bars springing up on Rue Peel. Rather fascinating.

You should see L'Oratoire St-Joseph, if not for the church then for the view from Mont-Royal.

quote:
You should see L'Oratoire St-Joseph, if not for the church then for the view from Mont-Royal.

Ha. I didn't see this until now, but I did indeed see the Oratoire. Rather fascinating and weird. The garden was utterly beautiful. Praying to the heart of a dead man was just weird for me, sorry.

Most beautiful church in Montreal, though, was Notre Dame in the old town. Just gorgeous.

Weird? And you call yourself an Anglo-Catholic! Say that once more and the Anglo-Catholic Brigade is going to expel you. [Biased]

Ahem. I have NEVER called myself an Anglo-Catholic!

Sorry, I thought you hung around with the Brigade.

Nope.

quote:

Most beautiful church in Montreal, though, was Notre Dame in the old town. Just gorgeous.

Notre Dame de Bonsecours in Vieux Port?

Or do you mean Marie Reine du Monde, the equally beautiful diocesan cathedral

If you mean Bonsecours, I agree with you.

Then you agree with me. [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
My wife and I love Via 1. Took it last week on our every 4 years vacation. No wait, no lineups, free drinks, free papers, decent meal, big comfy chairs.

Oh, and yes Ottawa is lovely to visit, Loads of fun. .....

So one time, why don't you let us know you're visiting. We're always up for an excuse to meet and, as appropriate, hoist a glass.

Naughty, naughty Og.

John

quote:
quote:

Notre Dame de Bonsecours in Vieux Port?

Or do you mean Marie Reine du Monde, the equally beautiful diocesan cathedral

If you mean Bonsecours, I agree with you.

Mary Queen of the World beautiful? The best thing it has to say for itself is that it's a scale model of St. Peter's in Rome. Most of the rest is kitsch left over from the 1930s.

Notre Dame, the baslica (I think) is of its type wonderful, and the new Lady Chapel (since the fire) is breathtaking, though not to everyone's taste.

ND de Bonne Secours in the harbour is also indeed beautiful.

John

Wait wait, is there more than one Notre Dame? I'm so damned confused now. I definitely don't mean the queen of the world one, that's certain. I mean the basilica on Place D'Armes.

NOT, it seems, the chapel near Bonsecours. Pete basically gave me 2 options both of which were wrong.

quote:
Weird? And you call yourself an Anglo-Catholic! Say that once more and the Anglo-Catholic Brigade is going to expel you. [Biased]

I used to be a member of the Boy's Brigade, does that count?

44th St Aidan's

Which was and is a Church of Scotland parish, not my church but close to home.

quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
quote:

Oh, and yes Ottawa is lovely to visit, Loads of fun. .....

So one time, why don't you let us know you're visiting. We're always up for an excuse to meet and, as appropriate, hoist a glass.

Naughty, naughty Og.

John

Sorry, nothing personal.

I've never gone to internet meets of any type. Comes from being an introvert, I suppose. I'm awfully shy, and I'm also one of those who leaves groups early, where possible.

I believe this is changing so we'll see.

Complete tangent - is it just in Newfoundland that the Weather Channel's making a complete bollocks of the local forecast graphics? Backgrounds all in the wrong place so that you can't read the captions, sometimes even just blank blue screens?

The odd occasion I'd put down to atmospherics (or something), but it's been like that off and on for a couple of weeks and I wondered if it was happening to everybody's local forecasts.

quote:
Complete tangent - is it just in Newfoundland that the Weather Channel's making a complete bollocks of the local forecast graphics? Backgrounds all in the wrong place so that you can't read the captions, sometimes even just blank blue screens?

The weather b'ys in Newfieland have had too much screech. IOW, it's just you. We's fine.

quote:
Wait wait, is there more than one Notre Dame? I'm so damned confused now. I definitely don't mean the queen of the world one, that's certain. I mean the basilica on Place D'Armes.

NOT, it seems, the chapel near Bonsecours. Pete basically gave me 2 options both of which were wrong.

Orfeo, nearly every place in Quebec is Notre-Dame de [something]. Usually referred to by [something].

The same thing goes for churches -videlicit Bonsecours.

John - tastes vary. I'm a fan of 30s kitsch. I spend too much time in post-Vatican II calvinistic austerity (which has its own beauty, but doesn't speak to me much)

Montréal has 28 Notre Dame de Something outlets, and a further two Our Lady of Somplace. Given that the Latin name of the city is Marianopolis, this is not too surprising. Orfeo is indeed unfortunate in that he only ran into 2 or 3-- he now needs to return and perhaps do a MW series of all of the Notre Dames of Montréal.

LOL just because you said 'outlets'.

[ 18. June 2013, 17:06: Message edited by: orfeo ]

Augustine's an old man. He was probably thinking of Tim Hortons when he typed...

Simply paying respect to the corporate culture which motivates so much ecclesiastical administration these days.

quote:
Augustine's an old man.

Yep, nearly as old as you.

Of course, from my perspective, you're both mere children (perhaps not mere, on second thought) frolicking, as it were, in the pastures of youth.

John

PS -- The thought of Augustine and Pete frolicking, though not of course together, may be disturbing to fragile minds, so feel free not to tell us what image it conjures up in your minds.

J

Should anyone be interested (maybe Augustine), the post of Saguenay Herald just went up today on jobs.gc.ca. It's an EC-04 position and history degrees are desired.

Dear me, the things you see on that board.

[Killing me]

Sounds like a pretty cool job, though, in the Canadian Heraldic Authority.

Back in the days of my youth - or, indeed, my middle age - I would have killed to be a Canadian Herald. Heraldry was a hobby of mine during that time. Not, alas, any more.

Hé, mes mecs! Régarde ça!

Hey, guys! Look at this!

Greedy American corporations!

quote:

Hey, guys! Look at this!

Eh, tabarnac, alors... If I was still living in Montreal I probably wouldn't even have noticed it.

As it's now 1st July in this little corner of the country, [Smile] may I wish the rest of you a happy Canada Day.

Here in Newfoundland the morning is known as "Memorial Day" and there are remembrance ceremonies for those killed in World War 1; Canada Day isn't celebrated until after that. I know Newfoundland wasn't part of Canada at the time (and the role of the Newfoundland Regiment may have been different from that of the Canadian ones), but I assume that many people from other parts of Canada were lost as well - do remembrance ceremonies happen in other places too, or is it just here?

Not on Canada Day, to my knowledge. But that excepts Newfoundland which, as you said, was an Independent Dominion in those days. And that which you are remembering is a horrific scar on your little country. It should always take preference over Canada Day.

Did Best Buy slant their advertising there, too?

Bonne Fête du Canada! Happy Canada Day!

[ 01. July 2013, 08:17: Message edited by: PeteC ]

I can't say I've noticed any Best Buy adverts, but you know what it's like - one tends to mentally block out adverts as there are so many of them.

July 1 was/is significant to Nfld. because the Royal Newfoundland Regiment went "over the top" on that day during the battle of Beaumont-Hamel. Of the 780 men who moved forward, only 110 survived, with only 68 available for roll call the next day.

This, along with other major losses, was a significant contribution to the devastation of Newfoundland during the Depression, leading to direct rule from England before WW2, and the post-war referendum on joining Canada or the US in 1949.

So Memorial Day marks major turning points in the island's history, more than just the annexation by Canada. I doubt there are many stores that would open on that day.

Canada Day is definitely a holiday in the Maritimes, with all the major stores closed (although the tourism people certainly work!) Apparently commerce trumps holidays in other parts.

quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:

Canada Day is definitely a holiday in the Maritimes, with all the major stores closed (although the tourism people certainly work!) Apparently commerce trumps holidays in other parts.

Most stores close here as well on holidays (Boxing Day is the notable exception). A sale advertised as a "Canada Day sale" would mean that the special pricing was in effect leading up to or surrounding that day, not on the day itself.

After Vancouver airport's immigration hall, every other place is going to look ugly.

Incredible. I had a smile on my face WHILE QUEUING.

quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
... I doubt there are many stores that would open on that day ...

Indeed - it's a full-on public holiday, with the remembrance ceremonies as mentioned above in the morning, and fireworks for Canada Day in the evening.

As far as I know, Tim Horton's was about the only place open ... [Big Grin]

quote:
After Vancouver airport's immigration hall, every other place is going to look ugly.

Incredible. I had a smile on my face WHILE QUEUING.

That's the one with the mad sculpture of a canoe full of Muppet ancestors?

Love the Van waterfront too (pines for sitting on a deck, eating oysters and watching the sun set).

"The Spirit of Haida Gwaii" by Bill Reid. That copy is known as the Jade Canoe.

The plaster macquette (sp) is in Ottawa, and there's a bronze in Washington.

And, it's on the $20 bill.

[Votive] for Lac-Mégantic.

I want to know just how many things went wrong that night. Railway air brakes are NOT supposed to do that.

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

OMG I just caught up with news of that train crash.

[Votive] for all involved - I know what it's like to have the centre of your town looking like a warzone.

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

horrors. could so easily happen in the town I just moved from, trains run right through the middle of town and there are long fuel trains in the middle of the night. what a nightmare.

there but for fortune.

[Votive]

Posted by Wesley J (# 6075) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
quote:

Hey, guys! Look at this!

Eh, tabarnac, alors... If I was still living in Montreal I probably wouldn't even have noticed it.
What is more, prices for Québec seem higher than in the all-Canada ad!

Posted by Wesley J (# 6075) on :

quote:
[Votive] for Lac-Mégantic.

[Votive]

And for comet and cometville too: [Votive]

Posted by Caissa (# 16710) on :

The oil was on the way to a refinery in my hometown. Hopefully, an East-West pipeline will be safer. The people of Lac-Megantic are in my prayers.

quote:
Originally posted by HenryT:
"The Spirit of Haida Gwaii" by Bill Reid. That copy is known as the Jade Canoe.

The plaster macquette (sp) is in Ottawa, and there's a bronze in Washington.

And, it's on the $20 bill.

I have seen all 3 on my trip.

Well, Trawna doesn't have many disasters (except à la Lastman), but this counts as a sort of mini one. Hope our Toronto shippies are fine.

[one word changed for clarity]

The death toll in Mégantic is up to 13. Many still missing. What a terrible, terrible way to die.

[Votive]

[ 09. July 2013, 08:55: Message edited by: PeteC ]

Astonishing that no major injuries have been reported, AFAIK.

Within two months, we've had a 30-year storm and now a 60-year storm (coming close to the one-day rainfall record set during the legendary Hurricane Hazel of 1954). Metro Toronto (as it was at the time) learned a lot back then, and implemented sound policies such as turning the ravines and floodplains into parkland and disallowing buildings in those areas. But, obviously, roads and railways still run through low-lying areas.

But whether I was bailing water last night or watching news from around the city, I kept thinking "This is nothing." Lac-Megantic [Votive]

You could blame global warming, or you could just blame me being in the country. Although I think I was across the border for Calgary.

I'm sure that Our-Great-Leader-who-represents-the-Oil-Patch would like to find a way of blaming you for all the disasters. That would get him off the hook for having to deal with climate and oil-related problems.

The optics of his cuts to the Transportation Safety Board aren't particularly good, on top of all his climate denial.

Not to mention the optics of his throwing Nigel Wright under the bus. Expecting us to believe he didn't know what was going on in his own office--he who micro-manages cabinet and caucus?

We lost power yesterday for about 5-6 hours (was asleep when it came back on). As we live on the 9th floor of a building on one of the highest hills in the city, flooding was no issue for us.

The pics of that GO Train were interesting. Surprised the whole thing didn't slide and go on its side.

People all had a story today...kinda like when we have a snow storm.

And it took somebody about 15 minutes to make a "call in the navy" joke.

Meanwhile, this patch of BC is having the most sublime weather imaginable. About 23 to 25 every day, bright sunshine. And I just flew on a seaplane for the first time in my life, from Victoria back to Vancouver after catching the ferry this morning.

I'm vaguely aware that life sucks elsewhere, but it's kind of hard to ignore how amazing it is here at the moment.

Snakes on a Train!

The Army, Navy and Air Force are on a roll. The Navy got its curl back and the Army as of yesterday got its pips and crowns back. (I'll bet the pips are actually Maple Leaves, but whatever).

At this rate the only holdout is the Air Force and its ranks. I will lay odds that we'll have Air Marshals and Squadron Leaders back within six months, at which time the dreadfulness of 1968 will have been expunged.

Sounds like more Harper Circus stuff to keep the masses quiescent, SPK.

Actually I support this initiative, the whole Unification thing was a fiasco.

But then again I am a right-wing Dipper.

Only when they split the medical, chaplaincy and supply/ordnance/whatever its called corps into three distinct bodies, none of them talking to each other, will the 1968 reforms be undone.

Then, for example, we can have three distinct groups of people doing the same job of administration, but in different ways, each with its own approach, computers, pay systems and so on -- and none of it interchangeable between the army, the navy and the air force.

Then we can have chaplains properly army, navy and air force -- three separate lots with incompatible rank systems and no transferrability among them.

Medical people can sign up for the army knowing they'll never have to dirty their hands with mere air force injuries.

1968 may have gone too far, but you show your age and lack of experience by not thinking about the vast waste of money and the incredible inefficiency of the previous system -- which was the reason for the reform in the first place.

It's hard enough now to get anything reasonable through DND, and a lot harder since the present government started reversing 1968. Heaven forbid we should go back to pre-1968...in the modern world that way lies only madness and armed forces so tied up by bureaucracy that they wouldn't be able to get a place into the air (ssupposing we have any planes capable of flight), any vessel to sea (supposing...) or any tank into a field (once again supposing...)

John

[ 10. July 2013, 20:05: Message edited by: John Holding ]

[Snore]

I am aware of the "Purple Trades Problem" and the horrid lack of co-ordination; but these issues have plagued many countries of our size and many larger ones too. Most modern NATO militaries have moved towards unification of support elements and greater service integration WITHOUT going all the way to the gratuitous stripping of identity and tradition that Canada engaged in.

See Belgium and the UK for examples.

And please, "young whipper-snapper" finger-wagging comments are entirely unbecoming in AS.

quote:
...And please, "young whipper-snapper" finger-wagging comments are entirely unbecoming in AS.

Actually SPK I think that decision is up to the All Saints Hosting Team.

Sorry. Couldn't think of a better rejoinder without actually breaking the rules.

It's 34C today and the humidex is 43C!!

And the heat has not yet reached its apex (It's 2 pm!)

[Eek!]

Even I would agree that is getting warm!

Not a really chatty lot, are we? Granted, most of the stuff we talk about around here is mostly in Purgatory or Hell.

[Disappointed]

quote:
Not a really chatty lot, are we? Granted, most of the stuff we talk about around here is mostly in Purgatory or Hell.

[Disappointed]

I didn't know if this was the thread I should have used to mention my S Bartholomew's Day dinner, with shrimp and chicken with peppers skewered on the BBQ-- sauce Mornay available for the potatoes.

Of course it is the right thread.

Now that you've been affirmed, shaddup! I'm trying to lose weight! [Waterworks]

The Toronto Medical Officer of Health is beside himself with glee today. The Cronut Burger, an abomination of cholesterol, fat, sugar and general unhealth has in fact been declared a public health hazard and the stall serving it has been shut down.

150 got food poisoning from it. Which isn't a heart attack, I'll grant you, but it's still out of circulation.

Posted by Wet Kipper (# 1654) on :

Are there any Shippies in Vancouver ?
A student from our church is heading out this week to do a year of her Uni course there

Posted by kingsfold (# 1726) on :

If memory serves, ships cat is out that aways and also Anglican Brat (though he may be on Vancouver island)

quote:
quote:

[Disappointed]

I didn't know if this was the thread I should have used to mention my S Bartholomew's Day dinner, with shrimp and chicken with peppers skewered on the BBQ-- sauce Mornay available for the potatoes.
What, no spit-roasted Calvinists? [Help]

Posted by ship's cat (# 11793) on :

I'm in Vancouver. You're welcome to pm me.

quote:
Originally posted by ship's cat:

Hiya Ship's Cat! How's it going, eh? WK should take your advice!

Posted by Wet Kipper (# 1654) on :

quote:
Originally posted by ship's cat:

PM sent !

quote:
The Toronto Medical Officer of Health is beside himself with glee today. The Cronut Burger, an abomination of cholesterol, fat, sugar and general unhealth has in fact been declared a public health hazard and the stall serving it has been shut down.

150 got food poisoning from it. Which isn't a heart attack, I'll grant you, but it's still out of circulation.

I get nauseated just from the description and photo of the burger. Forget the dubious nutritive value, it's a gustatory debacle.

Posted by ship's cat (# 11793) on :

Thank you Pete! It feels very good to be remembered. [Smile]

Not sure my advice was too helpful in this case as my knowledge is predominantly Anglican.

Looking forward to my first visit to Toronto in over 20 years next month, sadly too short (2 nights) to try and meet up with any cool kids on that side of the country.

Interesting wedding today. The wedding was Muslim (complete with imam) the dinner was French-Canadian and the dancing started out with an exotic dancer in the Egyptian tradition. One little boy (about 6) went absolutely big-eyed when she came on and grabbed the table's disposable camera to snap off a few of her demonstrating her belly button control. But I confess I left when the disco started. Or whatever they call epilepsy-inducing flashing lights these days.

French gone in Tisdale, Saskatchewan schools

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/story/2013/09/02/sk-core-french.html

I think this is a grave mistake. I get that Sask has a low French population proportion. But learning French, I thought it was simply basic to living here. I regret that French did not exist as immersion when I was young. We had useful bits of dialogue such as "Guy va a la discoteque avec Nicole et mange les croissants avec sa chat", and of course the French from cereal boxes. With what's now core French, we could pretty well travel and do the basics, like order beer and smoke meat, but the immersion people seem to me to be able to talk about meaningful things as well.

I'm wondering about Canadian use of French if English, and how well we all do with it.

I haven't come across much use of French here in Newfoundland, although there are French-immersion classes available, which a few of my friends' children have done; and some schools offer trips to France.

If I'd known when I was making my subject-choices in school that I would move to Canada thirty-something years later, I'd have picked French; as it was I did German, which sadly doesn't get you any Brownie points when you're trying to get Canadian citizenship. [Frown]

Oh well, c'est la vie ... [Big Grin]

[ 07. September 2013, 02:30: Message edited by: piglet ]

Sadly, No Prophet, the local school district is following on the RCC's negligence of francophones in Saskatchewan (Fransaskois, for those who are interested). While the Collège Mathieu de Gravelbourg continues, the Canadian bishops arranged for the suppression of the Diocese of Gravelbourg, which was one of the main props of francophone life there, in the cause of greater efficiency and use of strategic resources. Parishes were incorporated into the Archdiocese of Regina.

Oddly enough, several of my friends from Saskatchewan (Ukrainian, Romanian, and Persian in extraction) speak French, ranging from fair to excellent in their abilities. Perhaps this is just evidence of my frequenting of louche social occasions.

Living in Canada's only officially bilingual province, our youngest spent half of grade 5 studying in French.

I apologize to Augustine the Aleut for any insults, real or implied, or any other detraction to his reputation, in this thread:

Any implication of sexism/gender bias raised by me is unintentional and contrary to my intent at the time.

Canadian Politics Thread from May, 2013, now in Oblivion.

Discussion on Canadian politics, in a way which surely mystifies the rest of the planet, can get over-heated at times. I am sorry for my part in contributing to this, and happily accept SPK's gracious apology.

To issues of more relevance to shipmates: consolation for Canadians in the face of the coming of winter can be found in coverage of Senator Duffy's situation, and the prospect of this Saturday's Ottawa Zombie Walk.

The Duffy Debacle may just put another nail in Harper's coffin.

Ya think? Only maybe? Even Muldoon is on his case now.

I never underestimate the stupidity of the electorate.

quote:
Ya think? Only maybe? Even Muldoon is on his case now.

Now I wonder, is there a person named Muldoon, do you mean Mulroney or is this now a nickname for Mulcair?

On another note, have you noticed that Harper's hair is always perfect, and always the same? This says something, though I'm not sure what. Also, his choice of neckties is very boring. Not that politicians dress and grooming is generally very interesting.

When I was at the NDP Convention, I was surprised when I saw some media personalities IRL. Terry Milewski is much shorter than I thought, so is Charlie Angus.

Charlie's a great guy, I had a nice conversation with him at the Northern Ontario Caucus Party.

I will let other shipmates determine if they prefer Mr Harper's current hairstyle with that of his youth. About his ties, I would rather say nothing, but I gather that a consultant determined that lighter colours suit his colouring better.

[recoding link]

[ 24. October 2013, 03:30: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

Could be worse....ya'll could have a mayor like we have.

The former mayor of my town is the Chair of our Church Council and a good friend of mine. She instituted the practice of declaring conflicts of interest before church council meetings, just like the municipal council.

I cheekily called it the "Rob Ford Memorial Minute" and she responded that he is a disgrace to mayors everywhere.

OTOH Olivia Chow wants to run for Toronto Mayor. Take it as you will.

I think that Olivia Chow would be an excellent mayor (disclosure-- I dealt with her professionally in my former RL when she was assistant to the Reverend Dan Heap, when she was FOB and her English was then not as good as it is now) and the city of Toronto would save an extraordinary amount of money on reinforcing office furniture.

quote:
I will let other shipmates determine if they prefer Mr Harper's current hairstyle with that of his youth. About his ties, I would rather say nothing, but I gather that a consultant determined that lighter colours suit his colouring better.

He's updated his wig?

Without getting into too much depth, the probable candidates for mayor next year seem to be around 6.

Ford - will not do debates this time, for fear of having to answer questions he is avoiding every day. Has very inexperienced team who are making mistakes. Will rely upon his own money to fuel his campaign. Despised by left right and centre but loved by many who think he is a little guy being picked on. Needs the right to coalesce around him as the only option to beat Chow, and for the left to split again just enough- an unlikely scenario.

Denzil Minnan-Wong - more right wing then Ford, but even more anti-tax (Ford is a populist who doesn't mind spending money as long as its like how he spends money at his family business). Can be vindictive and spiteful. Dogmatic but consistently so. DMW is also quite religious, having met the Pope this summer, and has already come out against Ford on moral grounds. Likely running on a morality campaign. Ford is scared of this guy. Could wipe Ford out and then go toe to toe with Chow.

David Socknaki - former budget chief under Miller, right of centre, fiscally conservative and socially moderate. Already says he is running. Ford seems to think he's a puffball. The thinking person's right wing but needs DMW and Ford to cancel each other out to run against Chow.

Oliva Chow - said to be slowly rounding up all the left and centrist support in order to solidify the non-right at election time, as against the last time when the centre/left was split allowing Ford to win. In response, Ford biding his time but will pounce with all his bluster and commie red baiting when she announces.

Shelly Carrol - Might still run but looking less likely. Centrist. Will run for mayor eventually, just not when it would jeapordize getting rid of Ford.

Karen Stintz - really wants to run against just Ford, but as that is not going to happen, natural inclination to avoid losing will kick in. More right then centre, but flip flops a lot. First councillor to stand up to Ford. Unlikely to run if Chow runs as she wants to stay TTC chair. Likely to run in 2018 if Chow wins.

Nobody else is serious.

I suspect we will see Ford, DMW, Socknacki and Chow on the ballot.

In that scenario, Chow will win, and the right will bide their time until 2018 when they will attempt a 1 v 1 against her, but not with Ford.

[ 25. October 2013, 02:07: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

For the first time ever, I regret that Senate debates are not broadcast. However I do enjoy the Senate Chamber's decor.

As a New Democrat, I must now wash my hands in bleach for typing that.

As a fellow New Democrat, I find the Senate providing me with more entertainment than the House these days.

The Quebec court's ruling that the Feds can't unilaterally change the terms of the Senate sets the stage for the SCC's decision.

I wish I could understand why people are surprised at Harper's bullying, his disregard for due process and his flouting of constitutional convention. By "Harper" I don't mean just the man himself, but include those around him who act on his behalf.

None of these things is new. They've all been on plain view since before his initial term as Prime Minister.

Nor is his willingness to part company with the truth if he sees a partisan advantage.

Enlighten me, please. Why are people surprised?

John

Like Inspector Renault, they are shocked, shocked, to find gambling on the premises.

I'm not surprised. ISTM that the PMO tried to "fix" the Duffy/Wallin/Brazeau situation. Along the way, that fix went bad. It was done in a ham-handed way, IMO. It was somehow overlooked that you can't transfer money to people at that level unless authorized to do so by law. I learned this in basic Riding politics.

I'm surprised the Government thought three senators were worth an ounce of political capital at all.

But what is really surprising is that the wheels have fallen off the Conservative machine in such a spectacular fashion in such an unexpected way. For the first time, the Tories look long in the tooth, tired and bereft of ideas.

The Tories (and all the other centrist parties*) have been bereft of ideas for a long time. It certainly doesn't surprise me that the CONservative government has been lacking wheels.

*This includes the entire Houses of Parliament.

My Sister-in-law has just given birth to a bouncing baby girl, my second niece. [Big Grin]

An Anglo-Methodist/Scoto-Catholic Baptism Spectacular will take place shortly. [Angel]

Huge congratulations, Uncle SPK! [Yipee]

She's only just been born and she's bouncing already? [Eek!]

8.5 pounds. [Big Grin]

I bought her her teddy bear, as I did for my older niece. Both bears are SPK-bear. [Axe murder]

Proper thing - everyone should have a teddy-bear, and it is the duty of the Good Uncle (or aunt) to provide same.

8½ lb? She's half-grown already! [Smile]

Yeah, she's a bruiser. I hope to see her his weekend. [Smile]

I made sure both teddy bears are the same size and shape, but different colours. One is khaki and the other is chocolate with a cream belly and snout. That way there won't be fights about whose is whose. Sister-in-law appreciates that.

And both bears have bean-bags in their bums so they can sit up. It works really well for the doll stroller my older niece has.

BTW I just returned from Montreal. My hotel was around the corner from Reuben's Deli. My God, that that is DELI. The smoked meat sandwich is from Heaven itself. The cheesecake was divine.

Any cardiologists reading this thread will please avert their eyes! [Big Grin]

Posted by Stetson (# 9597) on :

Congrats to SPK and family.

And, just because this seems like a pretty big deal, but the cops apparently have the Rob Ford video, and have all but stated outright that it shows him smoking crack.

The depth of this police investigation has been pretty jaw-dropping. They've apparently been tailing the mayor all over the place for months, snapping pictures of him being given envelopes at wayside gas stations etc.

It's been so hard to get any work done today -- constantly flipping between twitter and various news sites. The latest from the Globe and Mail: Toronto has had enough: Rob Ford must resign.

And yet, reading through comments on news articles, there appear to be many Torontonians who still believe this is all just a media witch hunt and that Ford is largely blameless. [Eek!]

I love the tons of surveillance footage from the police files on Ford that have been released. It's like something out of a gangster movie.

Lothiriel posted:

quote:
Ford is largely blameless. [Eek!]
Large certainly covers it.

I don't really follow politics here much (I haven't got a vote, so my opinion doesn't matter anyway), but the little that I've read about Mr. Ford suggests that he's a lying toe-rag and all-round* nasty piece of work.

* quite literally, judging from the pictures [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
I love the tons of surveillance footage from the police files on Ford that have been released. It's like something out of a gangster movie.

And to what end, I keep wondering? The police didn't put their top detectives and dozens of others on the case for several months now in order to wreak political havoc -- that's not their job. The crack video in itself is not a matter for the police -- they can't charge Ford or anyone else based on the content of the video. But as Lisi was charged with extortion related to the attempted retrieval of the video, it's probable that he was acting on instructions, and Someone Else may also be charged. Will Lisi cut a deal and squeal?

Montreal and Toronto have been having a competition of late to see which city can have the worst mayor. Montreal was ahead due to two resignations for for taking little brown envelopes.

Toronto just pulled into the lead by seeing Montreal's brown envelopes and raising them a crack pipe.

[Disappointed]

Olivia, hon, it's time dear. Let's get your signs out for Mayor. Your campaign slogan will be "At least I didn't smoke crack." [Disappointed]

Rob Ford has admitted smoking crack cocaine.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/mayor-rob-ford-yes-i-have-smoked-crack-cocaine-1.2415533

[ 05. November 2013, 18:30: Message edited by: Caissa ]

I am more concerned that he apparently doesn't remember because he was in a drunken stupor.

Uncontrolled drinking - to which he admits - is the sure sign of an alcoholic.

Ford's got a press conference coming up some time in the relatively immediate future. In the meanwhile, news outlets are still trying to milk his confessional scrum as a "breaking story".

Personally, I loved the "drunken stupor" line. Instant classic.

quote:
The mayor ... said he was "ashamed" but felt like "1,000 pounds have been lifted off my shoulders"
Looks to me like there's another thousand still to go!

One of his drunken stupors. To quote "There’s been times when I’ve been in a drunken stupor."

And he thinks that now that he's admitted it and apologized, that we're all just going to forget about it and support him as mayor now and in the election to come?

It's not just the booze and the crack. Although clearly he is an alcoholic, with all the deceptions and delusions that go along with that. And the fact that he drives himself to events and seems to be already drunk when he gets there (eg the Taste of the Danforth). There have been events going back several years of public intoxication and accompanying obnoxious behaviour. Plus a DUI charge in Florida a few years ago.

It's the lying.

It's the phenomenally poor judgement sneaking around to meet with a thug, convicted criminal, and now alleged drug dealer.

It's the missing emails of his staffers in the four days after the story of the video broke -- emails that may tell of what those staffers were doing to try to recover/destroy the video.

It's the fact that a close associate (see thug and criminal, above) was charged with extortion in relation to the video.

It's the bullying and the blustering, the disgraceful insults hurled at journalists who were just doing their jobs, holding elected officials to account, and who turned out (surprise, surprise) to have been reporting the truth. They're still waiting for their apology.

And this is just what we know about. Can we believe him when he says "Folks, I have nothing left to hide"?

I get the concerns for you easterners. He does appear to be the world's most embarrassing mayor. On the other hand, coffee row out west seems to think that he's probably the most honest one about lying. Whatever exactly that means. [Biased]

Crack? I guess he took the common expression of incredulity "are you on crack?" seriously.

This just in Canada Is Still Two Decades Behind the U.S. on Video of Mayors Smoking Crack

quote:
National Post
Toronto police finally have video of Mayor Rob Ford smoking crack. But D.C. was way ahead of the trend.... In January 1990, an FBI sting operation busted Washington, D.C. Mayor Marion Barry smoking crack cocaine. The 83-minute video, which was watched by jurors in Barry's trial on drug-possession charges, featured a furious mayor yelling about the woman he was with. "Bitch set me up," he infamously complained.

You can also watch the video of Marion Barry smoking crack, if you really want to. Here's the kicker "After finishing his sentence, Barry won election to the city council with 91 percent of the vote." [Killing me]

[ 06. November 2013, 02:21: Message edited by: no prophet ]

Doesn't that say more about the electorate than it does about the candidate?

In a country where Stephen Harper and his party are regularly elected, I think it says a whole lot about the electorate.

In defence of Rob Ford it has to be pointed out that alcoholics [if, indeed, he is one] are often also workaholics.

Watching the PM's Parliamentary Secretary yesterday or the day before I was struck by his strong assertion that it would be improper for him to offer an opinion about Ford as the police investigation was ongoing and it would only be proper to wait for its results before considering what penalty, if any, would be appropriate.

This was the man (and the party, I suspect) that was so eager to exact a penalty before any due process occurred and while a police investigation is ongoing in the case of three senators.

No comment necessary.

Except to note that if Harper reads out of the party Nancy Ruth, Don Plett and the other Conservative senators who abstained or voted against his motion in the Senate, with the three just suspended, his majority there falls to a very small number indeed.

John

[ 06. November 2013, 18:54: Message edited by: John Holding ]

Section 24 of the Constitution Act, 1867 to the rescue! Make sure Her Maj is on standby! [Big Grin]

quote:
On the other hand, coffee row out west seems to think that he's probably the most honest one about lying. Whatever exactly that means. [Biased]

But he hasn't admitted to lying about crack -- on the contrary, he claims that he didn't lie, that he was never asked the "right" question, "Have you ever smoked crack?"

Which is patently false, as news agencies have been at pains to point out today -- he was asked that question dozens of times, including as recently as this past Monday morning on live radio, and he had always either hedged with an answer in the present tense "I do not smoke crack; I am not a crack addict" or ignored the question completely.

He repeatedly lied about other incidents until enough evidence piled up that he was forced to admit the truth. There are a few outstanding incidents where he still claims that he is wrongly accused of drunken/obnoxious behaviour, but his protestations of innocence are increasingly unconvincing.

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
In defence of Rob Ford it has to be pointed out that alcoholics [if, indeed, he is one] are often also workaholics.

He in no way is a workoholic.

He has an idea of what a politician does, based on watching his Dad do constituency work back in the late 90's as a bankbench MPP.

It amounts to being a 24 hour telephone help line.

And, no, he doesn't spend all his time on that.

I'm wondering if Ford is in the running for wackiest Canadian politician ever. Bill Vanderzalm (former BC premier), Grant Devine (former Sask premier), and Gordon Campbell (former BC premier) all come to my mind. Bill and Grant were just plain silly. Gordon was picked up for drinking and driving in Hawaii while premier. Probably there are other good examples.

"Wacky" to me doesn't describe Ford. It's too playful a word and implies willfulness and a modicum of intelligence. If he's an alcoholic or if he's got a narcissistic personality disorder, as some with psychiatric cred have suggested, or both, then obviously he's ill and not entirely in control of himself. (Which is not to say that he doesn't need to take responsibility for his actions.)

I liked the way Jon Stewart took a serious turn on this when he was lampooning Ford earlier this week; he acknowledged that Ford is in danger of seriously harming himself and urged him to get help.

quote:
"Wacky" to me doesn't describe Ford. It's too playful a word and implies willfulness and a modicum of intelligence.
Yeah, for wackiness, Mel Lastman fit the taxonomy better than Ford. Though he did have a few more serious forays into personal dysfunction, eg. the children he never acknowledged.

With Ford, I choke up ever so slightly when I hear him giving what must be these gut-wrenching press scrums to admit his misbehaviour. Overall, though, I am inclined to regard him as the master of his own misfortune.

[ 09. November 2013, 16:58: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Ford Nation takes a biblical turn

Just as an observation, that particular verse lends itself a little too well to self-interested appropriation. In politics, anyway, I usually hear it applied to people that the speaker has a pre-exisiting inclination to support. No one ever quotes it in regards to their Number 1 Enemy.

There is a difference between stoning somebody and letting them get away with being a homophobic, racist alcohol addicted and crack using liar who consorts with criminals who do illegal things on his behalf.

Oh, and coaches high school football while doing this.

That and somebody has a lot of money they can throw around. I suspect the city will find out who it is, so we will all find out who was behind that sign.

Interesting -- the city has now had the billboard removed for its unauthorized use of the city logo.

quote:
Interesting -- the city has now had the billboard removed for its unauthorized use of the city logo.

I'm normally one to allow a bit of leeway for appropriation, especially of civic symbols. But in that case, the use of the logo could definitely give the impression of official city endorsement.

I just watched the ceremony at the National Cenotaph. This year was hard for me as the last veteran of the European War in my extended family died this year. Ninety-three years old - he was a boy when he enlisted in 1939 and fought his way through Europe and the liberation of the Netherlands.

Thank you,Joe. You were an inspiration your whole life and a great role model for me.

For reasons I really can't fathom, Facebook posted a "suggested post" on my feed-page yesterday asking for my "love and support of Rob Ford as a human being".

As I'm not entirely sure that he is a fully-paid-up human being, they'll have to do without it.

What on earth made them think I'd want to give it anyway?

[Confused]

quote:
I'm wondering if Ford is in the running for wackiest Canadian politician ever.

Check out Amor de Cosmos for an earlier sample.

And don't forget Wacky Bennett and Wacky Bennett, junior.

What is it about British Columbia?

There are people who still support this lecherous drug using lying hypocrite.

They don't call it "Lotus Land" for nothing, Pete.

On Mayor Ford, [Eek!]

The man is alleged to have taken enough drugs and alcohol in one day to kill a large horse.

There's a horse? Haven't heard about that yet. [Ultra confused]

quote:
And don't forget Wacky Bennett and Wacky Bennett, junior.
[/i]

Apparently, Bill Vander Zalm has recently been promoting chemtrail conspiracy theories.

[ 14. November 2013, 01:24: Message edited by: Stetson ]

quote:
... What is it about British Columbia?

It's the wacky baccy - it's compulsory there, isn't it? [Big Grin]

And another weird and wild Wednesday in Toronto comes to a close. I was at city hall today for the Save Toronto rally...wondering if Ford Nation will put on a rally of their own.

At the very least, we can thank Rob Ford for saving this thread from Oblivion.

So he's not a complete waste of (quite a lot of) space then? [Big Grin]

Well, his waist does occupy a lot of space.

OSKI WEE WEE

That is all.

quote:
OSKI WEE WEE

[Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

I think it means that Hamilton Tiger Cats did well playing something sport related over the weekend.

Next Sunday is Grey Cup weekend, an iconic one in the Canadian sports calendar. Who wins is immaterial. We, most of us, just have an excuse to have a party and get soused. The TV must, however, remain on, even if the sound is muted.

Erm, I could make the comment that a Sunday isn't a weekend but why bother?

[Biased]

quote:
... Who wins is immaterial ...

Immaterial to everybody, or just to you?

**googles "Grey Cup" to find out what sport it's awarded for** [Hot and Hormonal]

I think it is tiddlywinks.

My 18 year old daughter has never seen the Ti-Cats in the Grey Cup.

Sunday was a great day.

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Erm, I could make the comment that a Sunday isn't a weekend but why bother?

[Biased]

The Grey Cup starts on Friday - often when a Western visitor rides a horse into a hotel.

Obviously they have a stable relationship!

I just had to share this Ford spoof.

Great video, Pete -- thanks! Considering it was made in May, before we knew about the police surveillance of Ford's clandestine meetings with Lisi and the mysterious packages, it's quite prescient!

We're all hoping things settle down now with the mayor's day-to-day duties curtailed. It'll be good for Torontonians to see some right-of-centre fiscal management without all of Ford's histrionics and idiocy -- a strong, moderate, dignified, well-spoken conservative could pick up right-leaning votes from all but the core of Ford Nation and either win or split the vote for a left-leaning candidate to win.

But he and Doug are really lapping up all the attention from US media -- I wonder if they realize that they are all laughing at them. Doug's "White Obama" remark is quite bizarre -- how does he come up with this stuff? Doesn't he realize that we can all remember back to the 2010 election, and that we all know that there were no such headlines? And that no one who knows Rob Ford's politics would think for a moment that he was a social liberal? And is he thinking (if such a word could be applied to him) that they can no longer depend on Ford Nation to carry the vote, and now they have to reach out to liberals?

If you live in the bubble you have created, then you just know that everyone supports you.

The weather outside is frightful, Toronto's going to Hell in a handbasket, Parliament is falling apart, the Arsey Em Pee is supplementing their salaries working for the private sector.

And ... and ...

Nothing new here, then. You?

Go Riders!

-- Grey Cup tomorrow. The cat will get eaten!

Riders are prohibitive favourites everywhere.

All the pressure will be on them.

Test will be in the coaching.

Happy for fans in Sask. Once in a lifetime game for them. They deserve it.

And that crowd....that was the loudest CFL crowd we'll probably ever see for a Grey Cup. Unlike most Grey Cups, there were hardly any fans from somewhere else.

Oh, and I am very happy to see that the politics of exclusion did not win in Toronto Centre tonight.

I'm no fan of any of the big 3 parties, but for the party of Tommy Douglas to run a campaign largely based on somebody not being from around these parts was just too much to stomach.

Earth to the NDP - almost all of us who live in Toronto are not from around here.

Again, get over your hatred of the Libs. Its going to kill your chances in 2015.

Oh I dunno Og.

I'm waiting to see how the poll-by-poll results play out, because Toronto Centre is being redistributed into two new ridings, Spadia-Fort York and University-Rosedale. And since the NDP has all the real estate in surrounding ridings, both get two scoops of Orange.

Strategy: The art of losing a single battle but still still winning the war.

Given 25% of those wards voted for Rob Ford in 2010, I'd say nothing is set in stone anymore

Ah, but did they vote for Ford the conservative tax cutter, or Ford the populist? We haven't seen a crazy populist right-winger in Canadian politics in a while, not since the Socreds imploded.

Anyway, it's snowing outside. [Help]

[Waterworks]

[ 27. November 2013, 02:20: Message edited by: Sober Preacher's Kid ]

quote:
Ah, but did they vote for Ford the conservative tax cutter, or Ford the populist? We haven't seen a crazy populist right-winger in Canadian politics in a while, not since the Socreds imploded.

Anyway, it's snowing outside. [Help]

[Waterworks]

Crazy right wing populist? Were you asleep for the Presto Manning daze and crap (Cdn Reform Alliance Party)? Stundo Harper is the handshake your kid heir to the throne even if morphed into the Constupidive Party. -- or maybe its me that sees the right as its always been, versus the tendency for the extreme right to have labelled the mere right as the middle.

Neither Preston Manning nor Stephen Harper are crazy. Populists possibly, though the mantle barely fits Harper. Successful yes, populist, no.

Neither had a personal meltdown in public. Ford has. Harper's personal life is irrelevant.

Posted by Polly Plummer (# 13354) on :

It's so comforting to her that other country's politicians are apparently even worse than our (British) ones!

Posted by Polly Plummer (# 13354) on :

... and such a shame that I didn't check my spelling: for "her" read "hear".

You wait. Your turn will come...

especially now that exclamatory populism with little substance sells so well.

Ford still has the backing of the "Ford Nation" and will have for just as long as Rush Limbaugh can maintain his reach. Bombast will actually get you somewhere.

I guess my point SPK was that the downtown core ridings are in such flux with people coming and going that counting on a neighbourhood for votes doesn't really work anymore. Incumbency matters but party loyalty is not as important as it used to be. People are more focused on a mix of policy and personality

Which brings challenges and opportunities for all 4 of the national parties.

Trudeau has to be careful as he might come across as too cute by half.

Mulcair has to be careful because he seems to naturally reside in the mood of the grumpy lawyer.

Harper..well he's a known and his biggest issue is voter's saying enough is enough.

May has to get past the idea that her party is quirky.

Heading to New Brunswick for the weekend. Could do an early lunch in Moncton or a later lunch in Saint John on Friday if anyone is around. Heading back on Sunday but I hear there is to be a big snow so not sure if that will happen or not.

Does Snoopy dance

By Saturday I will have forgotten that snow even exists!

Spins and twirls

Safe travels, Pete! [Smile]

Not much danger of us forgetting what sn*w looks like - they're forecasting 20-30cm for Sunday-Monday.

Now if it would just fall overnight on Sunday, with enough to justify a sn*w-day ... [Big Grin]

*SPK pops his head out of a snowbank

Did someone order snow? At least my neighbour lets me borrow her snowblower.

Today's snow was perfect. It had the diamond-glistening in the silver light which reflects how December must be in celestial realms. It was light and fluffy, to the point that a scalp-tattooed neighbour one street over shovelled four walks from her exuberance, and my own 2-doors-down neighbour (a veteran of a year at l'Arche) came over to ask if I didn't mind if she shovelled my walk as well.

We really should have a word for the sort of snow that makes you want to help your neighbour.

Went out on an errand yesterday and enjoyed the wind and the snow. Person I went to see wondered why I would go out in that and I just stated I grew up going out in that stuff.

quote:
We really should have a word for the sort of snow that makes you want to help your neighbour ...

There's a word for the sort of neighbour who offers to shovel your snow. It's saint. Unfortunately, for the most part my neighbours aren't that sort.

The snow started, pretty much as promised, during Evensong, is now blowing around in a Good King Wenceslas-ish fashion and will doubtless soon be deep and crisp, if not exactly even.

Goodbye, sidewalk - I'll see you at Easter. [Frown]

I have a confession. I was out calling old NDP members in this riding, getting them to renew, and I asked them for donations to the Party.

I am now a Bagman.

Ah, but if you had offered to shovel their walk, you would have also been a saint - at least in piglet's eyes!

Do you (and your spade) fancy a trip to Newfoundland, SPK? [Big Grin]

We got about a foot of snow, but possibly due to the intervention of an ill-natured fairy, it had stopped actually falling by the morning and the roads had been ploughed, so we didn't get a snow-day.

Bollocks. [Frown]

Nah, I had my share of snow when I lived in northern New Brunswick. [Big Grin]

Though nothing reaffirms your manliness like using a large gas-powered tool to throw stuff. Take that as you will. [Biased]

I don't mind some snow, especially when it looks like this. Ada Boulevard is one of my favourite walks, and it's absolutely beautiful this time of year.

Anybody need their walk cleaned? One of my frustrations in living in a condo is that I can no longer wield my mighty shovel. I am, as it were, a snow removal artiste sans studio.

quote:
Nah, I had my share of snow when I lived in northern New Brunswick. [Big Grin]

Though nothing reaffirms your manliness like using a large gas-powered tool to throw stuff. Take that as you will. [Biased]

You have a gas-powered tool?

Hmmm. THe mind boggles.

John

quote:
... nothing reaffirms your manliness like using a large gas-powered tool ...

[Killing me] [Eek!] [Killing me]

You should see what happens when I pull the cord and the machine starts up....

quote:

Assuming the bloody thing starts.

Like your sig by the way.

[ 20. December 2013, 23:39: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

I hope you are all safe in the foul weather Canada seems to be having

You don't have a shirt on, do you Pete? [Biased]

We had the electricity back just on midnight last night after nearly 24 hours without. It wasn't too cold; the wood stove kept us warm, and we cooked on it, too. The well pump dies as soon as the power goes out, so it was an immediate lesson in water conservation. It takes serious will power not to flush... A day without the internet was strangely peaceful, but best of all was the church with no lights except for candles. No power for the organ blower, so just the piano. Things are looking normal today, but it's too cold for the remaining ice on the trees to melt or drop off, so we're waiting for it to happen all over again.

Bit belated, but...

quote:
Originally posted by Meg the Red:
Ada Boulevard is one of my favourite walks, and it's absolutely beautiful this time of year.

As probably the only person posting on the Ship who knows what you are talking about, I wholeheartedly concur.

We have been very fortunate: we were without power for only eight hours yesterday, despite power lines down in the next street and throughout the neighbourhood. And even when the power was out, we were comfortable with our gas fireplace.

We seem to be in a fairly small pocket of restored power, though, so I feel rather guilty being able to cook and read and work when we're surrounded by cold dark houses. We've been able to offer help to a few friends, but I wish we could take in a whole streetful of people.

Just popping in to wish everyone a merry, safe and, if possible, warm Christmas.

We've got a couple of feet of snow, making this by far the whitest Christmas I've ever seen, but so far no power-cuts.

**crosses fingers, toes, eyes and anything else that can be crossed**

[Smile]

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

And a Happy Christmas to all Canadians, both on the Ship and floundering in the water.

Merry Christmas from another Atlantic Canadian island which is also beyond snowy. (I shovelled for close to two hours this morning and got about 1/3 of the deck done. It was waist deep.) Had a solidly good day despite all the chaos that is surrounding this week.

The stores re-opened today; Boxing Day is a statutory holiday in Ontario. There is no deicing salt to be had in this town at all. [Disappointed] My driveway is back in partial commission in that I can get in and out of it, but I still have to melt two broad swaths of ice. My car was iced in until Christmas Eve.

quote:
The stores re-opened today ...

Here too. I decided that post-Christmas (and post-pay-day) treating myself was in order and went shopping.

Wish I hadn't though - I saw nothing whatsoever that caught my fancy. I hate shopping trips like that. [Frown]

I rarely go on shopping trips without seeing something I fancy...

...but they all seem to be married!

I did all my Boxing Day shopping online. I got store-class deals, and free shipping. I needed a new cell phone as my old one is obsolete.

When you live 40 km from the nearest mall and it costs money to go there, online retailing is an attractive alternative.

We lost power for 3 days (left on Monday, preplanned, power came back here on Tuesday). It was getting cold in the bedrooms - about 9 degrees from what we could figure. Warmest room was about 15. Friend of the daughter still has no power. Enjoyed heat and light once we got to family for Christmas.

Irony - lots of signs in the elevators here wishing everybody warmth for the holidays.

Hearing abt the weather to east and power. Wow, what a mess. We are at a cabin on the Sask - Man border. -42° C or F. No skiing until it warms up!

Like SPK, I have a new phone that does internet and we're somewhat cabin feverish waiting for the -35s which is the skiing target temp by agreement today.

-58 with windchill. I have my hand held weather station with me. Wishwe had some soap bubbles to blow outside.

-58°????? [Eek!]

Blimey - even I'm shivering thinking about that. It's a positively balmy -3° here (and snowing again) at the moment but due to go back down to -13° tomorrow.

In the 10 years I've been here, actual temperatures much below -10° have been fairly rare, but so far this year's been much colder and with far more pre-Christmas snow than we've seen.

**brrrrrr**

The joys of Maritime winters. But, at least, if you don't like one type of weather, soon enough you'll have another.

I am quite happy to have moved from Winterpeg to the relatively balmy climate of Moncton

A lovely feast of S Thomas à Becket in Ottawa, only -27°C with wind chill. Another three degrees, and it will be a fatal exercise for a dog to relieve itself on a street with a NW breeze.

I had the most delightful experience of the Two Solitudes yesterday and today. I live across the street from a No Frills, which is wonderful for the grocery budget. As I passed through the freezer section I noticed they had Chicken Pot Pies marked on sale. St. Hubert's Chicken Pot Pies, with the chicken-in-a-bowtie logo. Perhaps the truck took a wrong turn in Montreal.

I had it for dinner tonight. Delicious, and not loaded on the carb count, which means the manufacturer didn't add extra sugar in processing. Chicken Pot Pies are notorious for that.

St. Hubert's Chicken pies in this Very Anglo Town. Who'd have thought, eh?

© Ship of Fools 2016