Thread: Mars Hill & Bethel Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=026417

Posted by A Sojourner (# 17776) on :

I've been hearing a lot about the churches "Bethel" and "Mars Hill" lately, and I was wandering what the ship thought about them?

For what its worth I can safely say that my encounter with Bethel has been via its very repetitive music...

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

Did you miss this answer to your previous post?

Posted by Gamaliel (# 812) on :

There is no collective 'Ship' take on these things ... although I suspect most Shippies would be wary of both Mars Hill and Bethel. I certainly am. Meanwhile, check out Eutychus's links.

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:

I did but they didn't explain a huge amount of what is happening... They all seemed to comment on a specific event (such as the suggested mass resurrection)...

Also, I was conscious that I didn't want to derail that thread with any comments that didn't deal specifically with the "Strange Fire" conference.

For what it is worth, the main preacher at Mars Hill seems to be hyper-Reformed in much of his thinking... his ten commandment series essentially suggested that any images of Christ were wrong...

Bethel's music is being quite heavily promoted where I am, and it seems to me to be quite hypnotic in it's use of repetition... perhaps I'm being over-cautious but I was wondering what people thought about it...

Which is a bit different from what the other threads were talking about (some of them being quite old, and I thought maybe the groupings might have changed since those threads, as I am only hearing about them in my part of British Christianity now)...

Sorry if I have annoyed anyone with the creation of this thread... [Hot and Hormonal]

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

Right

An important question which Mars Hill do you mean? I am not sure those two are the only two.

Jengie

Mars Hill: Mark Driscoll I think is the one whose sermons on the Ten commandments have been doing the Internet rounds... http://marshill.com/pastors/mark-driscoll

And by Bethel I mean the church that produced this song... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDiv64p_MaQ

(Which includes the bridge "If you want it come and get it for crying out loud")

Posted by chris stiles (# 12641) on :

quote:
Originally posted by A Sojourner:
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:

I did but they didn't explain a huge amount of what is happening... They all seemed to comment on a specific event (such as the suggested mass resurrection)...

What is happening is just a generalisation of those specific events.

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

Well, I suppose one thing the two have in common is that they are or were quite popular in some corners of NewFrontiers (and perhaps New Wine).

As such they epitomise the gulf that NewFrontiers attempts to straddle between "Reformed" teaching (Driscoll) and whacky charismatic "theology" (Bethel).

To my mind Driscoll publicises complementarianism the way Michael O'Leary publicises Ryanair: deliberately provocatively and rudely. Bethel thrives (for now) on a model driven by big-name conferences and from you what you post it sounds as if they've got in on the "let's spread our ideas by marketing our worship broadly" business model.

The other thing these two movements have in common is that they appear to be virtually unheard-of outside a relatively small quadrant of evangelicalism. They are not having the world-changing effect you might imagine from their literature.

Errors and omissions excepted.

The Reformed stable is a broad one - and some Reformed people don't really consider others who are considered Reformed (or reformed) by the rest of us as properly Reformed.

For instance, some Presbyterians don't consider Baptists to be Reformed, however much they prefix themselves with the term 'Reformed' - as in 'Reformed Baptists'.

I s'pose all Reformed Christians are Reformed but some are more Reformed than others ...

Driscoll strikes me as at the populist end of the spectrum which can give broader Reformed Christianity something of a bad name.

One could argue that groups like Sovereign Grace (C J Mahaney et al) and New Frontiers ended up with the worst of both worlds to some extent ... a kind of selective, edited-highlights version of Reformed, Calvinistic Christianity fused with a degree of charismatic excess ...

I'm becoming increasingly less 'reformed' the older I get although I retain admiration for many folks within that stable and for some of its emphases - although I think it runs the danger of becoming rather arid and Scholastic if it isn't careful.

I'm certainly prepared to cut reformed evangelicals a lot more slack than I am Bethel and its wannabes and look-a-likes.

Posted by irish_lord99 (# 16250) on :

I think Mark Driscoll is quite possibly one of the most offensive, chauvinistic, and spiritually abusive 'pastors' in the national lime-light. His comments about women, his persistent focus on macho/manliness, and his use of vulgarity from the pulpit (sometimes screamed at the audience) would be enough to convince me to stay a mile away from him. He has been at the heart of much controversy for his offensive remarks about effeminate worship leaders, other pastors wives 'letting themselves go', and much more; yet I've never heard a true apology, admittance of wrong-doing, or confession of repentance from him regarding anything at all.

Also, Google "Mark Driscoll abuse" and you will find that there are multiple support groups, blogs, and virtual refuges for those who have come out of his church traumatized by his controlling and abusive 'style' (he himself mentioned in a sermon that there was a 'mountain of bodies behind the Mars Hill bus' then chuckled about it).

Amusingly, there's a bit of a thread crossover here. Driscoll gatecrashed the 'Strange Fire' conference to pass out copies of his book - this article is probably the best I've seen on the topic:

http://mennoknight.wordpress.com/2013/10/19/driscoll-macdonald-strange-fire-and-leslie-nielsen/

Which is a good insight into his mentality.

Posted by cliffdweller (# 13338) on :

As an evangelical, the best thing about having to endure Driskoll as the crazy-drunk-uncle-who-shows-up-for-Thanksgiving-dinner, is that his bizarrely adolescent hijinks so often give opportunity for the evangelical brethren I really love to offer a gentle correction-- like this response (scroll down) by Shane Clairborne:

scroll past Driskoll dribble to get to the good stuff

Posted by WearyPilgrim (# 14593) on :

This sort of thing sometimes makes me wish I were a Lutheran. They seem so . . . sane. [Smile]

Posted by South Coast Kevin (# 16130) on :

Thanks for posting that link, cliffdweller. Great stuff! A snippet that sums it up for me:

'I can’t help but think that Mark [Driscoll] has been more shaped by the worldview of those who put Jesus on the cross than the One who hung on it.'

Posted by Al Eluia (# 864) on :

Mars Hill gets a lot of press around Seattl . They're constantly expanding and have a really ddismissive attitude toward other churches.

Our neighbor is pastor of a church that MH approached about buying their building to use for weddings (it's close to the main MH "campus"). MH seemed disdainful toward their congregation's older demographic.

Personally, I once visited MH and wasn't impressed.

Posted by SvitlanaV2 (# 16967) on :

I suppose it's not unusual for growing churches to have a troubled relationship with their neighbours; sometimes the growth of one contributes to the decline of another. But we have to ask ourselves how it is that an unpleasant person can pastor an expanding church in the first place. Wouldn't people rather go to a church with a friendly pastor?

This man's success upturns the mainstream view that churches have to be welcoming and accommodating in order to attract members, and that defection from the church is a regrettable reality that's best ignored. Whether or not we approve of this man's behaviour or theology, it should give us pause for thought.

Yes, that's an interesting conundrum, SvitlanaV2. I think the answer lies in the uncertain times we live in. People want certainty and sometimes it can be an over-bearing or even abusive leader who appears to provide that.

It's no accident, I don't think, that people tend to rally around rather rigid positions or causes. It'll be the very rigidity and apparent lack of compromise - 'they're really preaching the Gospel here' - which will be the magnet that draws many to Mars Hill and its ilk, irrespective of what flaws there might be in the methodology, the theology and the behaviour of the leaders.

Posted by quetzalcoatl (# 16740) on :

I also wonder if that rigidity and abrasiveness leads eventually to a high burn-out rate? It's striking how many 'refuge from abuse' web-sites there are now about Mars Hill, although having said that, there are probably similar sites in relation to other branches of Christianity.

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
I also wonder if that rigidity and abrasiveness leads eventually to a high burn-out rate? It's striking how many 'refuge from abuse' web-sites there are now about Mars Hill...

I think you're right, quetzalcoatl. How many 'refuge from liberal Anglicanism' websites are there, for example?! Or (and I hesitate to check) how many relating to my lot, the Vineyard?

I suspect that in the case of Anglicanism, liberal and otherwise, and the Vineyard, most of those who become disillusioned for one reason or another, tend to simply slip away quietly.

I don't go along with some of the Vineyard emphases but I've never come across accusations of heavy-handedness and abusive or abrasive leadership.

I wouldn't say that the Anglicans were entirely free of such tendencies - it does happen.

To an extent, though, with the likes of Mars Hill I suspect that one might have a clue what to expect before getting involved. It's not as if it's somewhere that is known for its tact and diplomacy.

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

May I suggest that the simple reason is there are no Liberal Anglican Congregations the size of Mars Hill not because anything special about Liberal Anglicans. There are abusive Liberal Anglican vicars.

Jengie

Did I say there was anything special about Liberal Anglicans?

[Confused]

Of course there are abusive Liberal Anglican vicars. And abusive other-types-of-Anglican-vicars and abusive anything-else ministers and clergy.

I acknowledged as much in my post.

Are you cutting Mars Hill more slack simply because it happens to be on the Reformed side of the spectrum?

Abuse is abuse and crap is crap irrespective of where it occurs.

And there's plenty of pong coming from Mars Hill.

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
May I suggest that the simple reason is there are no Liberal Anglican Congregations the size of Mars Hill not because anything special about Liberal Anglicans. There are abusive Liberal Anglican vicars.

Maybe... It'd be interesting to compare the reports and experiences of people leaving large churches across various denominations. Although I note your point, JJ, that liberal Anglicanism doesn't have any such large churches!

Posted by Pyx_e (# 57) on :

quote:
There are abusive Liberal Anglican vicars.
This is true. There are abusive people everywhere. And while I do not think the selection and management of Anglican clergy is without fault I think I baulk at being tarred with the same brush as this MH guy. We (Anglican Clergy) do have checks and balances this guy does not seem too.

Fly Safe, Pyx_e

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
People want certainty and sometimes it can be an over-bearing or even abusive leader who appears to provide that.

It's no accident, I don't think, that people tend to rally around rather rigid positions or causes. It'll be the very rigidity and apparent lack of compromise - 'they're really preaching the Gospel here' - which will be the magnet that draws many to Mars Hill and its ilk, irrespective of what flaws there might be in the methodology, the theology and the behaviour of the leaders.

The problem is, it's all very well for the more liberal churches to highlight the flaws that exist in 'rigid' churches, but if the former offer little certainty in exchange, what do the latter stand to gain?

I tend to think that for all the sophisticated theology that the mainstream churches have to offer, their main gift to the other churches is the tantalising offer of respectability. For all its growth and swagger, what Mars Hill will never have is respectability - unless it rubs down its rough edges. And one day it might decide to take that path.

[ 26. October 2013, 16:51: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

I can see what you're getting at and where you're coming from and of course there is an equal and opposite problem with the less apparently doctrinaire churches - and I've known plenty of pretty doctrinaire liberals come to think on't, who're just as doctrinaire about not pinning things down as some conservatives are about reducing everything to an easily rally-roundable set of propositions.

These things cut both ways. Life is messy.

I'm not sure that it's simply respectability that some of the more mainstream churches offer. Space and room to breathe is part of the attraction too, I would imagine.

Back in my more full-on evangelical charismatic days I found that I thoroughly enjoyed visiting less 'lively' and more apparently 'formal' churches when on holiday because I didn't feel under pressure to perform in any way nor was I continually exhorted to act or behave in a certain way ... 'raise your hands, do this, do that, let's have a shout-offering for the Lord ...' yadda yadda yadda ...

Mars Hill will have a certain amount of cachet and 'respectability' within its own ambit, though. In a different way to the more traditional or 'mainstream' churches in the area but a certain hegemonic 'status' none the less on account of its size and clout.

So I'm not sure that the respectability thing applies in quite the way you're suggesting. The US is also very different in church-scene terms to the UK, so the kind of things you may have in mind based on the UK experience may not match across quite so neatly.

quote:

I'm not sure that it's simply respectability that some of the more mainstream churches offer. Space and room to breathe is part of the attraction too, I would imagine.

I do agree with this, on a personal level. These days I often attend a particular Anglican church because very little is asked of me there. (I avoid the pressure that would greet me at other churches where I'm better known.) But on an institutional level I can't see how this characteristic is terribly beneficial.

quote:

Mars Hill will have a certain amount of cachet and 'respectability' within its own ambit, though. In a different way to the more traditional or 'mainstream' churches in the area but a certain hegemonic 'status' none the less on account of its size and clout.

So I'm not sure that the respectability thing applies in quite the way you're suggesting. The US is also very different in church-scene terms to the UK, so the kind of things you may have in mind based on the UK experience may not match across quite so neatly.

The respectability angle came to mind on reading Al Eluia's post above:

quote:

Mars Hill gets a lot of press around Seattl . They're constantly expanding and have a really ddismissive attitude toward other churches.

Our neighbor is pastor of a church that MH approached about buying their building to use for weddings (it's close to the main MH "campus"). MH seemed disdainful toward their congregation's older demographic.

Personally, I once visited MH and wasn't impressed.

To me, this indicates that Mars Hill is currently revelling in being a local 'bad boy' among the other churches. It doesn't respect churches that have probably been there much longer. It doesn't feel as though it has anything to learn from those other churches. But one day it might - perhaps when its own constituency ages, or when it runs out of steam. It's at that point that we notice the turn to respectability.

I accept that the USA is different from the UK, but similar developments are apparent in both countries, such as in the case of the Methodist Church.

Ok, yes, I can see what you're getting at here, SvitlanaV2 and am broadly in agreement.

I think you're right about the appeal on a personal level of the more historic or 'institutional' churches and how that might not translate across to a wider appeal at an institutional level. Yes, I reckon that's a sound observation.

I suspect, though, that many of those who feel drawn in some way to the historic churches on a personal level aren't so interested in the institutional aspects as those looking in from the 'outside'. It would be possible to be involved with an Anglican parish for years without getting embroiled with Diocesan politics or even the PCC and so on unless one wanted to.

On the respectability thing, what I had in mind was also triggered by El Aleluia's post, but from a slightly different direction. I suspect that Mars Hill as currently constituted thinks of itself as 'respectable' in terms of being closer to the Truth and so on than those other churches it looks down on. I say this because that's what our attitude was, essentially, when I was back in the restorationist new-churches in the 1980s ... although things have moved on a lot since then.

I think you're right that eventually, once the current rather abrasive leadership tires or is replaced, Mars Hill will begin to reach out more warmly to other churches in the area. This happened with the UK 'new churches' too. And, as you say, similar tendencies can be observed in the history of denominations like the Methodists.

Conservative Americans (both politically and theologically) often seem to revel in their "disrespectability". I would say that's particularly true with Mars Hill. Driscoll seems to enjoy pushing the boundaries to deliberately shock/offend-- often in ways that look very adolescent (i.e. shock for shock's sake, rather than anything substantive behind it). As Gamaliel pointed out, that may change with the next generation.

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
Driscoll seems to enjoy pushing the boundaries to deliberately shock/offend-- often in ways that look very adolescent (i.e. shock for shock's sake, rather than anything substantive behind it).

I've heard that his preaching can be quite crude regarding sexual matters. Well, I suppose you could say that he's simply reflecting the openness that exists in popular culture, and his listeners are totally familiar with that culture, so it's not shocking to them. It's only shocking to people who don't attend his church, and have no intention of doing so.

It would be interesting to know what kind of people do attend his church, and why it appeals to them over and above the alternatives.

At a guess, religious and theological conservatives who feel that they are selecting something that puts them on the cutting-edge and makes them more radical than the mainstream. As Cliffdweller says, the type of conservative American who likes to see themselves as being maverick or against the grain, slightly disreputable when it comes to the status-quo ...

There is, I'm afraid, a kind of populist 'onery-ness' about some of this crowd - an anti-intellectual, we're-all-ornery-down-home-folks and you can't tell us nuttin' attitude. Imagine Tykes (Yorkshire folk) and Texans somehow cut loose and floated over to Seattle ...

[Big Grin] [Biased]

Posted by LutheranChik (# 9826) on :

Personally, I think Mark Driscoll acts like a cult leader, and that his church/fight club/whatever it is, is as representative of Evangelical Christianity, or even Calvinist Christianity, as Oral Roberts was an exemplar of Methodism. His idiosyncratic theology seems more grounded in his ambition and male insecurity than in...well, the Gospel. And -- he's an ignorant, misogynistic, controlling and abusive ass, and a bad neighbor to the rest of the community as he attempts to geographically expand his little theological fiefdom in Seattle.

Here's the Facebook page of Stuff Christian Culture Likes , an online presence that critiques/pokes fun of the more bizarre permutations of American pop Christianity; its originator and her spouse had a former connection to Mars Hill, and she is especially critical of Driscoll.

quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
quote:
Driscoll seems to enjoy pushing the boundaries to deliberately shock/offend-- often in ways that look very adolescent (i.e. shock for shock's sake, rather than anything substantive behind it).

I've heard that his preaching can be quite crude regarding sexual matters. Well, I suppose you could say that he's simply reflecting the openness that exists in popular culture, and his listeners are totally familiar with that culture, so it's not shocking to them. It's only shocking to people who don't attend his church, and have no intention of doing so.

It would be interesting to know what kind of people do attend his church, and why it appeals to them over and above the alternatives.

Some of his large numbers might have to do with niche marketing. It's not that there's millions of conservative evangelicals looking for a misogynistic, militaristic frat-boy church. It's that there are precisely 9000 of them (or whatever his current membership is) and there are very few others willing to cater to that particular fetish-- thank God.

quote:
Some of his large numbers might have to do with niche marketing. It's not that there's millions of conservative evangelicals looking for a misogynistic, militaristic frat-boy church. It's that there are precisely 9000 of them (or whatever his current membership is) and there are very few others willing to cater to that particular fetish-- thank God.

Additionally, until a few years back the leadership of Mars Hill was a plurality, and at least internally he had far more corrective influences than he has currently. So it was still possible to be part of the church and assume that a lot of what was going on was a phase that would pass.

You can see this by what happened when they changed their membership covenants - and the ensuing loss of membership (part of those 'bodies under the bus' no doubt).

Posted by Komensky (# 8675) on :

I'd hate to miss a chance to say something negative about Mark Driscoll and Bethel. While the 20th-century evangelical movements have produced some very positive effects, one of the negative ones is the marketisation of their religion. Mars Hill is literally a brand. People follow the likes of Driscoll for similar reasons that they'll follow any cult leader—Charles Manson, Jim Jones, the Rev'd Moon and so on. There have been some pretty good observations already made on this thread about Driscoll's behaviour and theological ignorance, but one problem with narcissistic mega-church types is that they often see any kind of criticism as evidence of their righteousness. That helps him maintain the insiders-versus-outsiders paradigm. One just has to wait for churches like his to eat itself or implode. No amount of shaming him or exposing his abuses (which are many) will change someone like that.

As for Bethel, Bill Johnson and his chums are just plain deluded. Worse than that, they are liars and deceivers. They know perfectly well that their 'miracles' are fakes (poke around and you'll find the ex-Bethel recovery groups and they've been forthcoming about the con). Any attempt (and to be fair they make very few attempts) to prove any of them have revealed them to be con artists. His full delusional state (and theological confusion) was made apparent in his book—roundly panned by pretty much everyone outside of his circle.

K.

I'd agree with pretty much all of that, Komensky, and I'm at the credulous end of the charismatic belief spectrum (it seems from other discussions on here!).

Perhaps a good test to apply is whether the person / church / organisation points people towards Christ or towards themselves. Is it all about helping people become followers of Jesus, or rather about drawing people in to Mars Hill etc? He must become greater...

Just dashing in to share a bit of news dropped on facebook by Shane Clairborne, who gives a shout-out to an organization of Canadian evangelicals called epiphaneia that organizes various sorts of quirky fun evangelical gatherings. Clairborne writes:

quote:
Recently, they hosted a shadow conference of the "Act Like Men" conference called "Act Like Men?" and used the proceeds to provide scholarship funds for women pastors, hoping to create the "Mark Driscoll Scholarship Fund for Women in Ministry".
[Axe murder]

Posted by ButchCassidy (# 11147) on :

You know what pissed me off most today? Reading that one of those atheist churches has been founded in Nashville.

Because I'm pretty sure that God, whatever else he thinks, (sorry to make your relativistic eyes cry on this), really hates atheism.

Whereas, apparently, some posters here rejoice at the very concept that Mars Hill might 'implode', or otherwise wish his church harm (though it still seems to be growing, sorry about that too).

And yeah of course Mark D has some mixed motives and some messed up internal currents. I disagree with him on plenty of things, and wouldn't say that I'm part of his tradition.

BUT I care less about him than all the people who weren't Christians at all before, cus they thought Christians were weak and irrelevant, but who are now because of Driscoll (and I'd bet a lot of money that there are more of them than non-Christians who turned away because of him). That is MUCH more important than any 'ooo he's a megalomaniac' stuff that's coming up here. Maybe its true, but do I think it outweights the good? hell no.

And because I think God is good, I don't think he's going to punish Mars Hill-ites for believing in him because of a somewhat messed-up pastor (cus theres plenty of them). He'll just celebrate that they believe. What? people have impure motives for belief? Shock horror..

Why not say "Praise God for Mark's success in bringing atheists to (relatively) orthodox Christianity! Now let us disagree with the things we disagree with him on, while also celebrating and learning from his success"? Whose side are you on people? Do you seriously believe that overall he does more harm than good to the Body of Christ? Seriously??

Posted by Horatio Harumph (# 10855) on :

quote:
Originally posted by ButchCassidy:

Why not say "Praise God for Mark's success in bringing atheists to (relatively) orthodox Christianity! Now let us disagree with the things we disagree with him on, while also celebrating and learning from his success"? Whose side are you on people? Do you seriously believe that overall he does more harm than good to the Body of Christ? Seriously??

Yes. Yes I believe he does more harm than good to the 'Body of Christ'.

Posted by MarsmanTJ (# 8689) on :

quote:
Do you seriously believe that overall he does more harm than good to the Body of Christ? Seriously??

Y'see, I'm not one of those Calvinist types. I don't believe once-saved-always-saved. Thus, I genuinely believe that people who Mark Driscoll turns off church are people that had the potential to be saved, but his crass offensiveness turned them off. Do we say 'Hallelujah amen' when someone manages to save one person, but totally switches off from Christ ninety-nine others by a message that told better could have saved the whole hundred?

Posted by Horatio Harumph (# 10855) on :

P.S meant to add a 'seriously' to that line I just posted.

Yes I seriously believe he does more harm than good.

Posted by Jade Constable (# 17175) on :

quote:
You know what pissed me off most today? Reading that one of those atheist churches has been founded in Nashville.

Because I'm pretty sure that God, whatever else he thinks, (sorry to make your relativistic eyes cry on this), really hates atheism.

Whereas, apparently, some posters here rejoice at the very concept that Mars Hill might 'implode', or otherwise wish his church harm (though it still seems to be growing, sorry about that too).

And yeah of course Mark D has some mixed motives and some messed up internal currents. I disagree with him on plenty of things, and wouldn't say that I'm part of his tradition.

BUT I care less about him than all the people who weren't Christians at all before, cus they thought Christians were weak and irrelevant, but who are now because of Driscoll (and I'd bet a lot of money that there are more of them than non-Christians who turned away because of him). That is MUCH more important than any 'ooo he's a megalomaniac' stuff that's coming up here. Maybe its true, but do I think it outweights the good? hell no.

And because I think God is good, I don't think he's going to punish Mars Hill-ites for believing in him because of a somewhat messed-up pastor (cus theres plenty of them). He'll just celebrate that they believe. What? people have impure motives for belief? Shock horror..

I think God hates Mark Driscoll and his abusive, bullying 'church' that is being made in the name of God far, far more than He hates atheists trying to build community and be nice to one another.

Yes, I seriously believe Driscoll does more harm than good to the Body of Christ - indeed I'm not sure he does any good at all. No believers at all is better than believers signed up to this wolf in sheep's clothing.

'Judgement begins with the household of God,' ButchCassidy.

I'm not bothered how many atheist churches open up in Nashville or anywhere else for that matter. An atheist church is an oxymoron, of course, but all they're doing is drawing attention to the real thing. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

God's big enough to look after the atheists and he's big enough to cope with Mars Hill. For reasons best known to himself, he leaves everyone else to deal with the fall-out and the fall-out from places like Mars Hill ain't pretty.

Of course, the apostle Paul rejoiced that Christ was preached, whatever the motive, but we can't use that as a get-out-of-jail free card for the likes of Driscoll.

Atheists aren't our business in one sense. Jerks like Driscoll are, unfortunately ... as indeed are our own individual sins, naffness and numptiness.

Posted by art dunce (# 9258) on :

I know a guy who visited Mars a few years back and said the sermon was a rambling mess that ended wirh an insistence that wives need to be "visually available" to their husbands and so should always dress and undress when their husband is in the room and have sex with the lights on! My friend was amused that someone would preach their particular kink as gospel but it sounds like the basis of a great deal of what goes on there.

quote:
Originally posted by MarsmanTJ:
quote:
Do you seriously believe that overall he does more harm than good to the Body of Christ? Seriously??

Y'see, I'm not one of those Calvinist types. I don't believe once-saved-always-saved. Thus, I genuinely believe that people who Mark Driscoll turns off church are people that had the potential to be saved, but his crass offensiveness turned them off. Do we say 'Hallelujah amen' when someone manages to save one person, but totally switches off from Christ ninety-nine others by a message that told better could have saved the whole hundred?
Sadly, I get the feeling that far more people are turned off Christianity in quite normal, mainstream churches. These are the kinds of churches that most people are likely to be connected to, after all. But their disengagement is far less dramatic and newsworthy than the people who are turned off by Mr Driscoll and his ilk.

It'd be very interesting to know how the mainstream churches in the area are responding to the presence of Driscoll's church(es). Maybe the Driscoll effect has actually had a positive outcome for some of them.

Posted by Jammy Dodger (# 17872) on :

quote:
Originally posted by art dunce:
I know a guy who visited Mars a few years back

Wow! How did he get there? Stowaway with the Mars Rover? Hitched a lift with a passing Vogon Constructor Fleet?

Posted by art dunce (# 9258) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Jammy Dodger:
quote:
I know a guy who visited Mars a few years back

Wow! How did he get there? Stowaway with the Mars Rover? Hitched a lift with a passing Vogon Constructor Fleet?
Astral projection.

Butch: This Lutheran would rather sing first chair in the choir of one of the new atheist churches than darken the doorway of Mars Hill. And I'm sure my and my spouse's presence would be more accepted at the former than at the latter.

[ 07. November 2013, 23:38: Message edited by: LutheranChik ]

quote:

It'd be very interesting to know how the mainstream churches in the area are responding to the presence of Driscoll's church(es).

Depends on what you mean by 'mainstream' - I presume you don't mean 'mainline'. Most of them are just continuing to do what they've always done without much fuss - largely unaffected by the nutjob down the road.

ButchCassidy makes some good points (although oddly placed, since what we're doing here seems to be pretty much the whole raison d'etre for the Ship, or at least for Purgatory). But we can all probably use the reminder to build up rather than tear down. I also appreciate Gamaliel's reminder from Paul about caring only that "Christ be preached" whether from good motives or false.

And yet... Paul also had some pretty harsh words to say about the "Judaizers" who preached what Paul seems to think constituted a "false gospel".

It appears to me that the early Christians were willing to accept (by today's terms) a fairly broad theological diversity, given that it's going to take a couple of centuries of church councils to nail down things like the nature of Christ and the Godhead. Jesus also seems to be surprisingly willing to take people as they come-- "seekers along the way". The really important thing seems to be are you pointing people to Jesus. (Look at all the "come and see" passages).

And that's where it seems that Driscoll is headed. If the "Judaizers" were preaching a false gospel by presenting a legalistic Jesus who required adherence to the Mosaic law, how much more so a preacher who explicitly sneers and derides the concept of a "pansy" Jesus who doesn't return evil for evil?

I dunno. I've certainly got a plank in my own eye that needs examining before I start looking in Driscoll's. But I think there's some cause for concern.

[ 07. November 2013, 23:48: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

The issue with disaffected culty-church members turning to other churches is that often they have no context with which to evaluate other churches...if they come from non-church backgrounds, as far as they know all Christian churches toe the same theological/ideological party line.

I remember, several years ago, meeting a Wiccan who was stunned to learn that there were female clergy in Christendom, or that at least some of us are affirming of LGBT people, or that we weren't all political right-wingers. She just didn't know.

As far as that goes, one of my former coworkers, RC, was shocked to learn that my church's liturgy followed the form of the Mass, held weekly Eucharists, had a sacramental understanding of Holy Baptism and the Eucharist, etc. "I just thought all Protestants were like Baptists," she said.

Those are the sorts of assumptions that can keep people out of mainline Protestant churches.

especially when folks like Driscoll (and Pat Robertson, and...) are so good at getting press.

Absolutely. When our denom elected its first female bishop, Elizabeth Eaton, a few weeks ago, she made the rounds of MSM talking-head shows and newspaper interviews...my thrill at having our bishop get national press was actually secondary to my thrill at having someone other than Pat Robertson, Franklin Graham or the like being trotted out as the usual media representative of American Christianity.

quote:
Originally posted by chris stiles:
quote:

It'd be very interesting to know how the mainstream churches in the area are responding to the presence of Driscoll's church(es).

Depends on what you mean by 'mainstream' - I presume you don't mean 'mainline'. Most of them are just continuing to do what they've always done without much fuss - largely unaffected by the nutjob down the road.
I'm referring to the historical churches.

For example, some of them might be gaining new members as people decide to move on from Driscoll's movement. Others might be forced to become more creative as a way of competing with the 'nutjobs' whose church down the road is growing. If Driscoll's movement has stoked up some kind of revival atmosphere in local communities then other churches might benefit from that, in the way that the British Baptists benefitted from the growth of Methodism in the 18th and 19th centuries. Or the opposite might be true - having a Reformed conservative church in their vicinity might help them to become more aware of their own theological distinctiveness.

Churches should keep an eye on what's happening around them, even if they disapprove of most of it.

Posted by quetzalcoatl (# 16740) on :

quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
The issue with disaffected culty-church members turning to other churches is that often they have no context with which to evaluate other churches...if they come from non-church backgrounds, as far as they know all Christian churches toe the same theological/ideological party line.

I remember, several years ago, meeting a Wiccan who was stunned to learn that there were female clergy in Christendom, or that at least some of us are affirming of LGBT people, or that we weren't all political right-wingers. She just didn't know.

As far as that goes, one of my former coworkers, RC, was shocked to learn that my church's liturgy followed the form of the Mass, held weekly Eucharists, had a sacramental understanding of Holy Baptism and the Eucharist, etc. "I just thought all Protestants were like Baptists," she said.

Those are the sorts of assumptions that can keep people out of mainline Protestant churches.

These are very good points. I find that there is a staggering amount of ignorance generally today about Christian churches. I meet people who think that all Christians are creationists, or are homophobic, or are basically stupid,or right-wing, as you say. I'm not sure how this has happened, partly lack of education I suppose, and maybe also some prejudice. In discussions, it leads to a lot of straw men being built, of the form 'of course, you believe that ...<ludicrous idea>'

quote:
quote:
quote:

For example, some of them might be gaining new members as people decide to move on from Driscoll's movement. Others might be forced to become more creative as a way of competing with the 'nutjobs' whose church down the road is growing. If Driscoll's movement has stoked up some kind of revival atmosphere in local communities then other churches might benefit from that, in the way that the British Baptists benefitted from the growth of Methodism in the 18th and 19th centuries. Or the opposite might be true - having a Reformed conservative church in their vicinity might help them to become more aware of their own theological distinctiveness.

Churches should keep an eye on what's happening around them, even if they disapprove of most of it.

Yes, all of that is possibly true. Which is precisely why we need this sort of discussion. While, again, we should keep in mind ButchCassidy's apt reminder to let our talk be "seasoned with grace", we also need to be clear about the distinctions between what those "historic" mainstream churches are doing and teaching and the shenanigans going down at Mars Hill. If we're going to learn from their mistakes, we need to be clear about what those mistakes are. If we're going to present an alternative picture of Christ to Driscoll's hyper-masculinized alpha-dog warrior Jesus, then we need to understand exactly what Driscoll is saying and doing.

(tangent): quetzalcoatl, dude, I am lovin' your tagline.

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

I'm not very familiar with Mars Hill, Bethel etc. but I'm unsure if they really manage to convert many atheists. I wonder what the background of their adherents is.

[ 08. November 2013, 00:10: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

quote:
If we're going to present an alternative picture of Christ to Driscoll's hyper-masculinized alpha-dog warrior Jesus, then we need to understand exactly what Driscoll is saying and doing.

I wouldn't disagree about the importance of greater understanding.

It occurs to me that 'Driscoll's hyper-masculinized alpha-dog warrior Jesus' might be a reaction (or overreaction) against the Jesus of the historical denominations. Is it an attack on 'gentle Jesus, meek and mild'?

Perhaps the value in having such polar opposites on full view is that those of us who are uneasy with both understandings of Jesus can see what the extremes look like and so have a better idea of how to explore a middle path. But I suppose that's no consolation to those people who are at either end and see only error on the horizon.

[ 08. November 2013, 00:37: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

quote:
quote:
If we're going to present an alternative picture of Christ to Driscoll's hyper-masculinized alpha-dog warrior Jesus, then we need to understand exactly what Driscoll is saying and doing.

I wouldn't disagree about the importance of greater understanding.

It occurs to me that 'Driscoll's hyper-masculinized alpha-dog warrior Jesus' might be a reaction (or overreaction) against the Jesus of the historical denominations. Is it an attack on 'gentle Jesus, meek and mild'?

Perhaps the value in having such polar opposites on full view is that those of us who are uneasy with both understandings of Jesus can see what the extremes look like and so have a better idea of how to explore a middle path. But I suppose that's no consolation to those people who are at either end and see only error on the horizon.

Yes, it is a reaction to the pacifist (Driscoll says "pansy"-- see my link above) Jesus that other evangelicals such as Shane Clairborne and Jim Wallis have advocated (I don't know that Driscoll would recognize a non-evangelical theologian if s/he bit him on the a**). And count me then as one of those "extreme" people who sees only error on Driscoll's end of the horizon.

Posted by Gwai (# 11076) on :

I see an appeal to differing views of Jesus. Heck, that's why I've had the sig I've had about all the time I've been here. But Driscoll's Jesus doesn't seem very biblical to me, and he's anything but open to other views.

Posted by Jammy Dodger (# 17872) on :

Tangent:
quote:
Astral projection.

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] touche

quote:

The historical churches in that part of Washington state are largely conservative Reformed churches.

Posted by seekingsister (# 17707) on :

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I'm not very familiar with Mars Hill, Bethel etc. but I'm unsure if they really manage to convert many atheists. I wonder what the background of their adherents is.

Mars Hill reminds me of the church I grew up in - especially in the control it attempts to exert on its members' lives, from their daily schedule to what they're up to in the bedroom. There is a very sad story on Slate about an ex-member who was shunned after doing what to me seems the right thing - confessing a serious sin to church leadership.

Mark Driscoll faces backlash over chuch discipline

Now speaking of the church I'm familiar with, the majority of members roped in are Christians, perhaps lapsed in some way, who are convinced that the "real" way to be a Christian is to be 100% committed to the church and submit to any and all instruction and discipline from leadership. Acts 2 tends to be an important passage for churches like this.

I would be very surprised if people without any religious background at all would get involved in a group like that, because at its heart it relies on someone thinking "Well I do believe in Jesus, maybe I do need to work harder for salvation...these guys might be onto something."

[Edited to fix scroll lock. Gwai]

[ 08. November 2013, 13:24: Message edited by: Gwai ]

quote:
Originally posted by seekingsister:
I would be very surprised if people without any religious background at all would get involved in a group like that

The difference is in the US context a lot of non-religious people have religious backgrounds (either via parents, or more rarely grandparents), and Mars Hill has been successful in reaching these people at least initially by impressing them with a far more committed sort Christianity.

Of course, a lot of them have either burnt out or moved on to other churches as they grow out of their 20s.

Posted by Arminian (# 16607) on :

I'm an ex New Frontiers member, and I'm still recovering from the mind control and damage that they inflicted on me by their 'system'. Its not just the theology but the hierarchical control mechanisms that these churches set up. To question the leadership is to question God. There is no real democracy.

I don't know the exact set up at Mars hill but it wouldn't surprise me if its similar from what I've read. I did try to find out from them what Mark Driscoll pays himself. They couldn't tell me - the pastors salaries are added together and only a joint figure is published. Similarly I could not find out what Terry Virgo earnt. Not knowing what your leader earns is not a good advert for transparency. If they are claiming that they are so 'anointed' that members don't need to know they they are seriously abusing their position of power.

The flaw in these restorationalist outfits is that church history shows us that early Christians had an entirely different church model of small largely autonomous groups in a house church setting, without a paid priest lording it over them. Driscoll, Virgo and the rest of them have by intent or by accident taken the place of God in the minds of some of their congregation by demanding compliance and obedience, and by failing to put into place democratic structures that properly allow for checks and balances. These church structures are ripe for abuse, and abusers to take advantage of IMO. They may serve the needs of narcissistic alpha males, but they are a world away from what St Paul and Christ gave the early church.

quote:
The difference is in the US context a lot of non-religious people have religious backgrounds (either via parents, or more rarely grandparents), and Mars Hill has been successful in reaching these people at least initially by impressing them with a far more committed sort Christianity.

That's the type of person I meant by "lapsed" as opposed to an outright atheist. Probably used the wrong word. But a lot of the recruiting plays on the idea that the potential new member didn't ever "really understand" Christianity.

quote:
The historical churches in that part of Washington state are largely conservative Reformed churches.

So these particular local churches wouldn't necessarily be very anti-Driscoll? That's interesting.

Which local churches have actually come out as being totally against what he's doing, then?

quote:
A lot of the recruiting plays on the idea that the potential new member didn't ever "really understand" Christianity.

To be fair, though, every kind of church is happy to receive the drop-outs from other churches.

In England the CofE and the Methodists are happy to receive escapees from Pentecostalism, and the New Churches, etc., and the Pentecostals and the New Churches are happy to receive escapees from the Methodists and the CofE. In terms of who 'really' understands Christianity before switching churches, I suppose we'd have to establish what kind of Christian commitment these people have before moving. Do they often move seamlessly from one church to the other, or is there more usually a period of relative religious indifference or rejection in between? If it's often the latter then it's hard to imagine any congregation not seeing that as a significant transformation in the individual's life. Maybe the church's response depends on exactly how transgressive the individual's interim period is judged to have been.

Few churches make much headway with serious, committed, lifelong atheists, though there are always exceptions.

[ 08. November 2013, 12:36: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

I'm talking about recruitment tactics, not picking up other churches' dropouts. This is something specific to growth-oriented evangelical churches and isn't the same as an ex-Methodist attending a CofE service and having the vicar ask if he is interested in coming back again next week.

quote:
quote:

So these particular local churches wouldn't necessarily be very anti-Driscoll? That's interesting.

Which local churches have actually come out as being totally against what he's doing, then?

Driscoll would be largely irrelevant to them as they wouldn't consider him to be particularly Reformed and consider him at best to be a kind of evangelical sideshow of the sort that they have had from time to time.

Look - there are few churches on which there is more information available on the web than Mars Hill and the Acts 29 movement. You can continue to make up interesting sounding theories for why you think things are the way they are ..

.. or you could, you know, actually engage with some of this material before speculating.

quote:
Originally posted by Arminian:
The flaw in these restorationalist outfits is that church history shows us that early Christians had an entirely different church model of small largely autonomous groups in a house church setting, without a paid priest lording it over them. Driscoll, Virgo and the rest of them have by intent or by accident taken the place of God in the minds of some of their congregation by demanding compliance and obedience, and by failing to put into place democratic structures that properly allow for checks and balances.

Yes, I think you're right with all this, except that I wouldn't quite describe how the NT church functioned as 'democratic'. Rather, ISTM they sought consensus among themselves, granted with rather pointed and strident arguments at times!

But it wasn't that anyone could command others; indeed this would (ISTM...) directly contradict Jesus' teaching on what leadership and authority should look like among his followers.

chris stiles

I'm here to muse and to ask questions of people who are much more knowledgeable than myself. You've already been helpful enough to answer some of my questions, but if they're beneath you, just ignore them. That's fine by me.

quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
But it wasn't that anyone could command others; indeed this would (ISTM...) directly contradict Jesus' teaching on what leadership and authority should look like among his followers.

The problem is that it's basically impossible to get a group of people living in modern Western society to reasonably replicate anything like 1st century church practices, without a heavy dose of top-down control.

I read a lot about Restorationism due to my experience in one of these churches, and I have yet to find an example of one that does not exert non-Biblical levels of control over their members. Historically when a large group within a Restorationist church has questioned these practices, there has been a split. See - Church of Christ (conservative Restorationist) and Disciples of Christ.

Posted by Prester John (# 5502) on :

quote:
quote:

The problem is that it's basically impossible to get a group of people living in modern Western society to reasonably replicate anything like 1st century church practices, without a heavy dose of top-down control.

I read a lot about Restorationism due to my experience in one of these churches, and I have yet to find an example of one that does not exert non-Biblical levels of control over their members. Historically when a large group within a Restorationist church has questioned these practices, there has been a split. See - Church of Christ (conservative Restorationist) and Disciples of Christ.

I'm going to put this as politely as possible. You claim that you've "experienced" one church. Your experience is not at all normative. I come from the very conservative end of the churches of Christ and what you describe is not at all accurate. I know you do not know what you are talking about because if you knew anything of the Disciples of Christ- a mainline, liberal group- you would know what you wrote was down right false.

quote:
Originally posted by Prester John:
I'm going to put this as politely as possible. You claim that you've "experienced" one church. Your experience is not at all normative. I come from the very conservative end of the churches of Christ and what you describe is not at all accurate. I know you do not know what you are talking about because if you knew anything of the Disciples of Christ- a mainline, liberal group- you would know what you wrote was down right false.

There are a great many Church of Christ ex-member websites that suggest my experience is not very rare.

Yours may differ of course.

quote:
quote:

I'm not sure what Chris meant by the comment, but I can assure you that is not the case. Having spent most of my professional career serving in a Reformed denomination which has a megachurch up there in Mars Hill's backyard, the fact that they are Reformed in the loosest sense of the term does not at all translate into approval of Driscoll's shenanigans. Calvin himself would probably beat him over the head with a beer stein if he could.

Most shipmates here know that in recent years I've become pretty disenchanted with Reformed theology (while still appreciating Reformed polity). But I'd far, far, far rather see someone in one of those conservative Reformed churches than in Driscoll's.

[ 08. November 2013, 14:50: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

quote:
quote:

I don't (yet!) share your cynicism - or realism, as you might prefer to call it... [Smile] Not that this collaborative, consensus-seeking approach is something I've experienced, but I have read enough examples of it kind of working (I mean, working but not without bumps along the way) to keep up my sense of hope that it's possible.

quote:
chris stiles

I'm here to muse and to ask questions of people who are much more knowledgeable than myself. You've already been helpful enough to answer some of my questions, but if they're beneath you, just ignore them. That's fine by me.

Sure, but you aren't just asking questions - you are taking small amounts of information and then drawing the wrong conclusions (see cliffdwellers post).

Look, if you want to know Driscoll's theology a large amount of his sermons are on accessible on the web, the author of the wenatcheethehatchet blog has written extensively on Mars Hills and Acts 29's governance - he happened to be a part of one of the early accountability mechanisms in Mars Hill.

Mars Hill tends to appropriate conventional words to describe itself, but mean something different by these words. I don't mean to imply there is something necessarily sinister in all this - think of it as more a form of branding rather than category.

quote:
cliffdweller:

I'm not sure what Chris meant by the comment, but I can assure you that is not the case.

See my comment up thread, I agree that it's not the case.

quote:
I don't (yet!) share your cynicism - or realism, as you might prefer to call it... [Smile] Not that this collaborative, consensus-seeking approach is something I've experienced, but I have read enough examples of it kind of working (I mean, working but not without bumps along the way) to keep up my sense of hope that it's possible.

I should take a step back - didn't mean to be so negative!

I believe that it can work on a small-scale, house church type of basis, absolutely. Because it's impossible to function in a church that is actually a local community, without grace and forgiveness making up a huge part of fellowship. There's no leader/member divide in such a church, so you don't have someone who doesn't know your personal situation telling you that you're not "being a Berean" when you're really struggling with something. It's a friend and Christian brother or sister who knows you.

But a larger group or umbrella that insists on using Acts/1st century church as the benchmark - from my observation they tend towards legalism in an effort to make sure the "restoration" is maintained.

There is another poster here disputing my experience, but if you have not heard of the Church of Christ - this is a group that has schismed over the use of musical instruments in church services, because the New Testament doesn't feature them. And as mentioned some of these churches have removed elders whose wives passed away, to match the Timothy description. So I would call that excessive control in order to adhere to an unrealistic standard, of the 1st century church.

Mars Hill with its attempts to read into the New Testament so deeply, as to come away with guidance on sexual positions - now that reminds me of stuff I have seen before and it makes me very sympathetic to the people who are in the middle of it.

quote:
[QB\]

There is another poster here disputing my experience, but if you have not heard of the Church of Christ - this is a group that has schismed over the use of musical instruments in church services, because the New Testament doesn't feature them. And as mentioned some of these churches have removed elders whose wives passed away, to match the Timothy description. So I would call that excessive control in order to adhere to an unrealistic standard, of the 1st century church. [/QB]

By this standard any adherence to some sort of doctrinal conformity is "controlling". You might as well say the RC Church and the Orthodox are controlling for insisting in a male only priesthood.

quote:
Prester John: You might as well say the RC Church and the Orthodox are controlling for insisting in a male only priesthood.
Well...

quote:
quote:
[QB\]

There is another poster here disputing my experience, but if you have not heard of the Church of Christ - this is a group that has schismed over the use of musical instruments in church services, because the New Testament doesn't feature them. And as mentioned some of these churches have removed elders whose wives passed away, to match the Timothy description. So I would call that excessive control in order to adhere to an unrealistic standard, of the 1st century church.

By this standard any adherence to some sort of doctrinal conformity is "controlling". You might as well say the RC Church and the Orthodox are controlling for insisting in a male only priesthood. [/QB]
Many things exist on a continuum that doesn't lend itself well to this sort of black-and-white thinking. Authoritarianism is one of those things. Every organization is authoritarian to some degree-- you have some sort of identifying characteristic that draws you all together, and have to be "authoritarian" to at least some degree to maintain your identity, whether you're a church or a group of model train enthusiasts.

I find the premise intriguing (I went to a C of C college)-- that restorationist movements are inherently going to need to be relatively more authoritarian than most other churches due to the inherent challenges of maintaining a community life that is rooted in a different cultural context. That doesn't mean, of course, that other churches won't be authoritarian for completely other reasons. It would simply mean that restorationism does not lend itself well to more personal autonomy. I don't know if that's true, but find the thesis interesting. It would make a great doctoral dissertation.

[ 08. November 2013, 15:45: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

Include the COE then. Only priests, of whatever gender, are allowed to preside. What a bunch of control freaks.

quote:
By this standard any adherence to some sort of doctrinal conformity is "controlling". You might as well say the RC Church and the Orthodox are controlling for insisting in a male only priesthood.

If anyone wants to know more about the Restorationists, I would suggest Flavil Yeakley's "Why They Left: Listening to Those Who Have Left Churches of Christ." He is a member and there is a series of blog posts by another member here reviewing the book in detail.

http://oneinjesus.info/2012/04/15/churches-of-christ-why-they-left-chapter-1/

A quote from the blog:
quote:
Clearly, the more conservative versions of Churches of Christ are driving our children away from Jesus. I can see no other way to read the data. They grow up hating attending church, and have no interest in merely changing brands.

And I’m sure all the readers have friends (or former friends) who’ve been driven away from Jesus by the legalists among us. This is no surprise — as very sad as it is.

Those churches retain only 40% of their own. Therefore, they will rapidly decline in numbers and die. It may take a few decades, but their time is past if they don’t repent.

PJ I will not deny your experience but the book and blog provide a lot of insight into what others in that tradition have lived with and the negative impacts it has had on their desire to continue in a relationship with God. That is a serious problem and one that any Christian should be deeply worried about.

Mars Hill sounds like the same old story with a shiny new bow on it.

[ 08. November 2013, 15:49: Message edited by: seekingsister ]

quote:
Prester John: Include the COE then. Only priests, of whatever gender, are allowed to preside. What a bunch of control freaks.
I'm not a member of the CoE. My church doesn't have priests or clergy, any member of the community can preside.

quote:
You aren't just asking questions - you are taking small amounts of information and then drawing the wrong conclusions (see cliffdwellers post).

Any 'wrong conclusions' I draw can easily be corrected with further information, for which I'm grateful.

The most frequent 'conclusion' I draw is that the more I learn, the more I realise there is to learn. And I have learnt new things on this thread, so my participation has been useful for me. I apologise if it's been unpleasant for you.

quote:
quote:
You aren't just asking questions - you are taking small amounts of information and then drawing the wrong conclusions (see cliffdwellers post).

Any 'wrong conclusions' I draw can easily be corrected with further information, for which I'm grateful.

The most frequent 'conclusion' I draw is that the more I learn, the more I realise there is to learn. And I have learnt new things on this thread, so my participation has been useful for me. I apologise if it's been unpleasant for you.

We've been down this road before, and this time seems to be only a slight meandering. But perhaps-- without meaning to wander too far into hellish territory-- I might suggest that since this isn't the first poster to notice this tendency, you could take it as a gentle reminder to check your tendency to jump to conclusions based on very little data. Helps us avoid a lot of unnecessary rabbit trails. Just sayin'.

[ 08. November 2013, 18:07: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

Sigh. We'll see.

[Biased]

Now, now, SvitlanaV2, take your medicine and don't play the victim ...

At the risk of second-guessing where you're at, I've noticed that you like to play devil's advocate to a certain extent - and there's nothing wrong with that particularly but it can rub people up the wrong way.

I've not got a dog in this fight so it hasn't rubbed me up the wrong way on this occasion, but there have been times when it has. As I'm sure some of my comments and posts have wound other people up and even wounded them at times ...

[Hot and Hormonal]

I can be a sarky so-and-so, you aren't ... you're one of the good guys ... but sometimes you do appear to have a tendency to defend the indefensible on the large, lively and growing end of things or, in this case, the personality-cult end of the things, on the grounds that they must be doing something right because these groups are growing whilst nice, inoffensive, middle-of-the-road or mainstream churches are in decline ...

I can see what you're getting at but in can be exasperating when, as in this case, you continue to posit and speculate when, as Chris Stiles and others have said, there's plenty of material available that is pretty damning.

I don't know if that makes any sense. No-one says you shouldn't ask questions and no-one's saying that they know more than poor little old you ...

I, for one, have valued some of the insights and suggestions you bring - you often cause me to consider things in a way I've not done before. I'm grateful for that.

But there is sometimes a time when it pays to stop digging. I need to learn that lesson more than you do.

Posted by Al Eluia (# 864) on :

quote:
quote:

Huh? I attend an Episcopal church one block from a "campus" of Mars Hill and chris's description puzzled me.

I certainly see the encroachment of Mars Hill as a challenge to neighboring churches that, like mine, are having trouble growing. I think it would be a mistake to try to copy Mars Hill, but I do see us as needing to compete, in a way, with them. Trying to be like them in style would be untrue to who we are, though.

On the restorationist thing ... I think we need to differentiate here between the US restorationist thing - the Churches of Christ, the Disciples of Christ - the Campbellites and so on ... and what became known as Restorationism in the UK ie. the 'new churches' such as those streams and networks associated with Bryn and Keri Jones, Terry Virgo, Tony Morton et al ...

I was involved with the latter - ie. the British not the US version ... if versions they were because they were very different.

There was certainly authoritarianism in the latter. I can't speak for the former but I don't doubt Seekingsister's version of events at all.

Nor do I contend that some Disciples of Christ, Churches of Christ and similar groups in the US can be fairly mainstream. The people from the Churches of Christ I've met online have all been very fundamentalist and very, very literalist - the Behemoth in Job as a description of a sauropod for instance ...

[Roll Eyes]

But none of them have struck me as being particularly culty or controlling.

But you can find elements of that tendency in most conservatively theological settings ... some Plymouth Brethren assemblies could be quite controlling, some Pentecostal and Holiness groups the same.

The mileage varies across the board. The Plymouth Brethren I encountered were all pretty 'open' and nowhere near as inflexible as some other congregations within the same grouping ... I may continue to tease Kaplan Corday about them but in truth there were nowhere near as controlling and numpty-ish as some groups I could mention.

Svitlana - cults are very good at recruiting people. Driscoll's Mars Hill (iirc Rob Bell's church is also called Mars Hill and is I assume quite different!) is undoubtedly a cult IMO. That mainstream churches in the area can't compete is a sign of their unwillingless to become a cult and is a good thing.

Posted by Truman White (# 17290) on :

I was doing some business in Redding California (Bethel land) in the summer and dropped into the church. A good test of a church is what the locals say about it. Everyone I spoke to in Redding had heard of Bethel, no one had a bad word to say about it and most spoke favourably of them. Church does a lot of regular community work which doesn't get mentioned much.

Worship verged more on the tedious than the hypnotic - didn't see too many people going into trances, saw a few switching off and playing with their mobile phones, and most just found the worship helpful engaging with God.

Bethel spirituality is shaped by the Californian culture - they are generally pretty relaxed and relentlessly optimistic, which is a breath of fresh air after the incessant cynical whinging that characterises a lot of church life in the UK (present company excepted I'm sure).

The Holy Spirit heals people in all kinds of churches - including Bethel. Any big organisation has their critics and disaffected members - and any big organisation will make mistakes and have to learn from them. Yeah I had some reservations, but overall there's a lot coming from Redding that's having a beneficial effect on churches - in particular helping people recover from abusive situations in other churches. I know some very damaged people - including some long standing church leaders, who fit that description.

By the way, for shipmates wanting to find out a bit more about Bethel teaching, read Danny Silk's stuff. Culture of Honour and Keep Your Love on will give you a flavour for some of the church's ethos.

Sure, but some of their teaching goes way, way, way over the top.

Of course, it depends on where one is standing in the first place.

I'd just politely decline any invitation to get involved with anything which had the Bethel finger-prints anywhere near it.

I was disappointed that the New Wine crowd saw fit to invite Johnson a few years ago. Although I've heard that some of the leadership have since rued that decision ...

Of course, the can anything good come from Southern California thing applies here as it does to anything else. It won't be all bad.

But there are enough people receiving counselling and so on to recover from their involvement to convince me to give it as wide a berth as I can.

Posted by Truman White (# 17290) on :

quote:

But there are enough people receiving counselling and so on to recover from their involvement to convince me to give it as wide a berth as I can.

S'funny - I've not met any of 'em. What I have met are people who have recovered from their involvement in other churches, supported by people taught and trained at Bethel.

Be interesting to get some of both together in the same room to share experiences.

Posted by Jolly Jape (# 3296) on :

@ Gameliel

I have some concerns about some of the Bethel teaching myself; not so much about error but more of a culture which encourages excessive credulity, as I would see it, but I've not come accross accusations of cultishness attaching themselves to Bethel in the way that they have to MH Seattle. In short, I think Bethel are a bit whacky but not fundamentally dangerous. Driscoll is a very different kettle of fish.

(x-posted with Truman White)

[ 09. November 2013, 14:14: Message edited by: Jolly Jape ]

Interestingly, I was at HTB last Sunday, where Brian and Jan Johnson (from Bethel) were leading the sung worship. My impression accords exactly with that of Truman White. That is, more tedious than transformative. Lots of people around me tweeting or on facebook, etc. Maybe it was because most of the songs were new to me, but I found it quite hard work, and it doesn't usually take much to get me "lost in wonder, love and praise." I just felt they were trying too hard, and that communicated itself.

Interesting ...

I've heard of the tendency (tactic?) of Bethel offering their services to leaders and others who believe themselves to have been abused etc etc.

Call me cynical but I immediately spelt a rat and felt that this was some way of absorbing these people into their own fold and orbit. 'Had a terrible time? There, there ... come to us and we'll help you ...'

Like you, it's the overly credulous aspect that worries me. Plus, from what I've heard and read, the 'Honour' teaching and so forth goes a bit beyond what might reasonably be deduced from scripture.

A Baptist minister I know who I rate as something of a exegete, sat in on one of Bill Johnson's sessions at New Wine and came away feeling that there wasn't a great deal of scriptural support for some of his assertions. It was simply stringing a few proof-texts together.

As for the worship style of Bethel. Someone once sent me a link to a You Tube clip of one of their most popular songs. I turned it off about 3/4 the way through and was surprised I got that far, such was the level of turgidity.

I suspect I'm bit more wary and sober-sided than you are these days in allowing myself to be 'lost in wonder, love and praise' - partly because I'm always alert to people having 'designs' on me or trying to manipulate my emotions. I've seen too much of that in my time.

But it doesn't surprise me if people were texting and so on while it was going on. It wouldn't surprise me to see that happening anywhere these days. I attended part of an RC Mass in Italy this summer and some of the congregation where texting and answering their mobile-phones as the old monk leading that part of the service wheezed his way through the readings and liturgy.

The news that Bethel's firmly in with HTB is discouraging. It makes me even more inclined to avoid the charismatic scene within Anglicanism.

Is nowhere safe from infection?

Time was when there was some reasonable theology and debate around in Anglican charismatic circles. No longer, it would seem ...

Ichabod ... Ichabod ... every man to his own tent, O Israel ...

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Jape:
Interestingly, I was at HTB last Sunday, where Brian and Jan Johnson (from Bethel) were leading the sung worship. My impression accords exactly with that of Truman White. That is, more tedious than transformative. Lots of people around me tweeting or on facebook, etc. Maybe it was because most of the songs were new to me, but I found it quite hard work, and it doesn't usually take much to get me "lost in wonder, love and praise." I just felt they were trying too hard, and that communicated itself.

They are participating in another HTB event as well - I can't remember if it is Focus (camping week away) or the Leadership Conference, but I heard them mentioned.

I'm not sure you can draw that sort of conclusion, Gamaliel. I seem to recall Rowan speaking at HTB, but I don't see them going Liberal neo-orthodox, or however you would see Rowan's theology, any time soon. What is true is that there were people queueing around the block to get in.

@ Seekingsister,

They were over here, according to Nicky Gumbel, for Worship Central, a worship conference under the broad umbrella, as I understand it, of HTB. Whether there were any other engagements, I'm not sure.

They wouldn't be absorbing Rowan Williams's liberal neo-orthodox (paleo-orthodox) theology because they wouldn't understand it in the first place ...

[Biased] [Razz]

As for people queueing round the block to get in to hear some representatives from Bethel, so freakin' what ...

Just shows how credulous too many people are.

Now, actually, to be fair, some of them would understand Williams.

No, the reason they'll plump for Bethel or a Bethel-lite approach is because it gets bums on seats.

It's a purely pragmatic decision.

HTB and its ilk is very much run on a business-model. If something works - like the Alpha course - they franchise the guts out of it.

Posted by Jack the Lass (# 3415) on :

To be fair Gamaliel, I attended an HTB service (admittedly a good 10+ year's ago) where Rowan was preaching, and it was a) packed and b) very warmly received. Though I did get the impression he was, if not dumbing down, certainly modifying his usual scholarly way of talking (which meant I had no trouble following his gist). The message was absolutely not dumbed down. I can't speak for Bethel and their ilk as I've never had the remotest urge to listen to Johnson et al, I suspect we're on a similar page there.

Posted by daronmedway (# 3012) on :

quote:
The news that Bethel's firmly in with HTB is discouraging. It makes me even more inclined to avoid the charismatic scene within Anglicanism.

Is nowhere safe from infection?

Tend to agree. Seems to me that the charism of spiritual discernment is sadly lacking. Admixture seems the order of the day.

Sure, Jack the Lass, I don't doubt that ... nor do I doubt the integrity or good intentions of the HTB crowd.

I suspect, though, that it's precisely these good intentions that make them vulnerable to the likes of Bethel, which I regard as less than benign.

It makes the kind of 'admixture' that daronmedway's mentioned that much more likely to adhere ...

There's no easy answer to any of this. None of us can seal ourselves away hermetically from infection from dodgy sources ...

And I'd posit that were such a thing even possible it would not be an appropriate strategy.

No, the way through it all is to develop our immune systems. Paradoxically, of course, we can't do that without exposing ourselves to the bugs in the first place ...

Or, at least, going out armed with disinfectant ...

At the risk of banging an old drum, it seems to me that lack of rigour is the problem here.

Our vicar once said to me that he'd rather have duff prophecies than no prophecies at all ...

Which rather begs a few questions.

Because that immediately introduces the temptation to let things through on the nod or to set the bar at such a level that almost anything purporting to be a prophecy or 'word from God' can get through ...

That's what'll have happened at places like Bethel and Mars Hill in the first place. Sure, they are very different but I would posit that both have their cult-like elements.

If they were full-on, immediately identifiable cults then there wouldn't be an issue. Because the tendencies are more subtle than that then they pass muster ... at least for a time.

There's a hidden cult within any church you may care to mention. The issue is how we manage things so that it doesn't emerge and take over.

The horse has already bolted at both Mars Hill and Bethel as far as I'm concerned.

Bethel ought to be quarantined, not encouraged.

Their tactic of drawing alongside leaders who have been hurt in some way is a devious one. 'Come into my parlour said the spider to the fly ...'

I fully expect the cults of the future to emerge from groups like Bethel unless they take remedial action.

quote:

...The reason they'll plump for Bethel or a Bethel-lite approach is because it gets bums on seats.

It's a purely pragmatic decision.

HTB and its ilk is very much run on a business-model. If something works - like the Alpha course - they franchise the guts out of it.

Hmn, not sure how this sits alongside "not doubt(ing) the integrity of the HTB crowd". It seems pretty dismissive.

Are the Bethel crowd benign? Well, I haven't seen any evidence that they are not, so I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt. I think there is a case to answer that they are probably over-credulous, but I haven't seen any evidence that they are deceitful, manipulative or otherwise lacking in integrity; over-trusting, at times, maybe (like the Brazilian (I think) "resurrected"), but foolishness isn't confined to any one part of the church. I'm not sure to what extent the cultural differences between SoCal and the UK affect our judgements on this.

Well, I think the evidence against Mars Hill is out there, in a way that it isn't for Bethel. You know the sort of thing, controlling leadership, boundary violations, financial unaccountability, a history of religious abuse. I don't care how much you dislike Bethel, you could hardly put them in the same category.

quote:
Their tactic of drawing alongside leaders who have been hurt in some way is a devious one. 'Come into my parlour said the spider to the fly ...'
Have you any grounds for such an accusation. Why assume a dark motivation for a policy which, on face value, is wholly in accord with Christian values. Are abused leaders to be denied love and support because of suspicions which appear groundless (unless, of course, you can cite any evidence to the contrary). This seems close to bearing false witness against your brothers and sisters.

I repeat, I carry no particular flag for Bethel, and suspect they probably are a bit naïve, but they seem a decent lot, trying, like all of us, to be obedient to the light we have been given.

Wait and see.

On the empire-building side of it ... well, lots of church groupings go in for that.

I may come across as cynical and suspicious but I think there are grounds for that given Bethel's proven track-record in not coming clean until they absolutely had to when 'called' on some of the more overblown claims.

I know it's just gut-feeling, but I don't trust Bill Johnson. I've heard people say good things about him and could cite examples from people I know who have benefited from his personal concern. I don't doubt that.

But from I've seen on his videos, he gives me the creeps.

If that counts as bearing false-witness, or going by gut-feel rather than actual evidence, then perhaps ... but we'll wait and see.

For the record, I don't have a great deal of time for many of the prominent names and pulpit personalities that could be mentioned in these contexts.

The Mumfords, for instance, are all nice and cuddly but the late, lamented Douglas McBain, a prominent Baptist renewalist - was able to cite instances of them passing on all sorts of exaggerated stories without bothering to check the facts.

If I'm suspicious and wary, cynical even, it's because I know what sort of thing these type of people are capable of.

It genuinely grieves me when well-meaning charismatic Anglicans and Baptists and other mainstream types lower their guard and admit whole piles of supperating crap that they would be better advised to filter out before admitting it into their own circles.

In more moderate mode ... fair enough about Driscoll and Mars Hill having better documented evidence of abuse.

I suspect though, that unless there is something of a restraint on the credulity pedal ... that it is only a matter of time before Bethel either hits the buffers big time with some kind of claim/putative healing etc that goes badly wrong or people start to bale out with horror stories.

I understand that there are already groups of ex-Bethelites online ... but that can happen anywhere and everywhere.

I must admit that I can't cite chapter and verse - I don't go around looking for evidence of Bethel's misdemeanours.

But the conditions are there and the conditions are ripe for cultic behaviour. Of that I have no doubt.

And the more credence they are given by more mainstream groups the greater the likelihood of that happening - if it hasn't already.

I suspect it has.

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Jape:
Well, I think the evidence against Mars Hill is out there, in a way that it isn't for Bethel. You know the sort of thing, controlling leadership, boundary violations, financial unaccountability, a history of religious abuse. I don't care how much you dislike Bethel, you could hardly put them in the same category.

Yes, but what they are being accused of is something quite different - in the main.

They aren't being accused of being controlling - so much of making stuff up and then refusing to deal with it when things are pointed out (the Brazilian resurrection stories, the stories of miracles in their local superstore, Kevin Dedmon claiming that his son walked on water, Bill Johnsons claim that angel feathers and gems appear in his service).

At the same time they are coming up with novel ideas (such as their Holy Spirit Treasure Hunts and their school of prophecy complete with mantle passing), that are not being evaluated in the light of them being fairly unreliable witnesses in other ways.

The fact that there are no groups of ex-Bethelites does not necessarily mean that critique of them shouldn't be pointed - it may merely be that their abuse takes a different shape.

[ 10. November 2013, 16:31: Message edited by: chris stiles ]

I'm told that there are groups of ex-Bethelites online but it's not something I've researched. It could well be that these are more general groups for ex-extreme charismatics rather than Bethelites in particular.

As far as the suggestion that I might be 'bearing false witness' goes, whether I am or not, I think that tag might well apply to how Bethel has presented some of its claims and dealt with the fall-out.

I have many faults. Getting up on a platform and declaring that my kids can walk on water isn't one of them. Claiming that miracles have happened in my local Co-op isn't one of them. Coming up with innovative and untested Derren Brown style techniques and teaching them to people through a School of Prophecy isn't either ...

That doesn't get me off any hooks in terms of sinfulness nor a get-out-of-jail free card in the overall scheme of things.

I'm sure that the Bethel folks are lovely. I'm sure they mean well. I'm sure that they do genuinely offer support to leaders who have been hurt in various ways ... and that they extend their influence and network in so doing ... (both/and) ...

But, and I'm sorry to put it in such terms, I also believe them to be carrying a virus ... the virus of over-egged claims, extreme credulity, dangerous innovations and potentially cult-like developments.

I wouldn't open an email from a suspicious source that looked like a virus or scam.

Bethel should be quarantined until such time as it learns to handle the scriptures more accurately and review some of its dafter schemes.

I don't see that happening any time soon.

These people are nice and smiley but they carry a health-warning, they carry a virus.

There are lots of reasons to despise what the Bethel lot are up to, but one of the most compelling reasons is they are demonstrable frauds and liars. In Christian Culture there is no critical inquiry, only tacit acceptance. Should you raise your head above the parapet, you'll likely get a predictable response; namely 'I'll pray for you' [Evangelical speak for 'fuck off'] or 'we need to encourage our Christian brothers [more rarely this might include 'sisters' too], not discourage them. Do you think that a single person at HTB asked one of the Bethel worship leaders if they could walk on water? They should have, because that's what one of them claimed (there's a video of it one YouTube). When will CC stop believing in lies? The answer is 'never', it is now a requirement for membership to the wackier end of Evangelical movements. I think Nicky's heart is in the right place, but I'm less sure about his theology.

I was very plugged in an HTB until about 8 years ago. Part of the thinking back when Rowan was around was an ecumenical outlook of Nicky's. This meant inviting Catholics and fringe loonies like Johnson and others. The hope was to find points of unity. Part of the actual effect was (on both sides) to question the doctrinal integrity of Nicky. How do you justify inviting known charlatans and liars like Bill Johnson? It's easier to do in Evangelical circles because there is no space for critical assessment, absolutely everything will be accepted. On the very conservative end of HTB, there was a strong anti-Catholic reaction to Nicky inviting Catholics to preach too. So, there is two-way traffic to consider.

K.

quote:
Originally posted by Komensky:
It's easier to do in Evangelical circles because there is no space for critical assessment, absolutely everything will be accepted.

K.

That's not true. Yes, there is a woeful lack of discernment in evangelical circles but to suggest that there's 'no space for critical assessment' is an overstatement.

quote:
Originally posted by daronmedway:
quote:
It's easier to do in Evangelical circles because there is no space for critical assessment, absolutely everything will be accepted.

K.

That's not true. Yes, there is a woeful lack of discernment in evangelical circles but to suggest that there's 'no space for critical assessment' is an overstatement.
I'd agree - though in practical terms people are often uncomfortable enough with being seen to be critical that the consequence is that while some things will be played down, they won't really be critiqued until there's an explosion of some kind.

quote:
quote:
quote:

K.

I'd agree - though in practical terms people are often uncomfortable enough with being seen to be critical that the consequence is that while some things will be played down, they won't really be critiqued until there's an explosion of some kind.
True. But is that really unique to evangelical churches? I would imagine that would be true of most Christian churches, just as it's true of a great many organizations and corporate structures. Most of us tend to be conflict-avoiders and people-pleasers. That has it's good side as well as the obvious drawbacks noted above.

quote:
True. But is that really unique to evangelical churches? I would imagine that would be true of most Christian churches, just as it's true of a great many organizations and corporate structures.

To an extent. What gives it added potency in evangelical circles are the spiritual overtones it takes on. 'Touch not the Lord's annointed' the 'Wisdom of Gamaliel', 'taking the good' etc.

quote:
quote:
True. But is that really unique to evangelical churches? I would imagine that would be true of most Christian churches, just as it's true of a great many organizations and corporate structures.

To an extent. What gives it added potency in evangelical circles are the spiritual overtones it takes on. 'Touch not the Lord's annointed' the 'Wisdom of Gamaliel', 'taking the good' etc.
I think you'll find that sort of thing is true of only a small subset of evangelicalism. But where you do find it, it's disturbing-- verging on spiritual abuse at times.

quote:
quote:

K.

I have been in churches where critical assessment is considered negativity or cynicism. It's disturbing. However I've encountered this in both evangelical and non-evangelical churches.

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

I'm quite interested in the more general question of conflict resolution within churches. I guess that a culture which stresses the needs for unity and obedience without recognising the hard work involved in resolving difference with love and respect is not likely to be very good at it. And some leaders do seem very sensitive to criticisms or perceived challenges to their authority.

But I guess you could say that about many churches in many denominations. I agree with Jade; it doesn't strike me as more prevalent in evangelical churches.

Here's a link to the Willow Creek approach. Willow Creek is a very large evangelical church. In recent years, Bill Hybels seems to me to have moved quite a lot into the "listening" camp. I heard a very good talk by him about the dangers of top down leadership, coupled with a quite open acknowledgment that he'd been guilty of it. No doubt Willow Creek has had casualties; I doubt whether there is a church anywhere which hasn't.

In general, I think that all churches benefit from encouraging feedback from "the pews" about what it's like to be governed. Whingeing and backbiting and undermining thrive much more in an atmosphere of perceived oppression.

Mea culpa: 'no room' was an exaggeration.

The restriction on critical assessment is a particular problem in evangelical circles because of the frequent lack of core doctrine—all the so-called 'Spirit-led' stuff is believed to come from God (this then often leads to modalist problems too). When someone says 'the Spirit' or 'God' or 'the Lord' has 'put this image on my heart', etc., suggesting that whatever happened next was anything short of divine revelation is tantamount to blaspheming. Of course, as was mentioned, you will bump up against authority in the RC, Lutheran or CoE churches too, but then it is more likely to be an issue of doctrine and theology, rather than the so-called 'Spirit-led' whims of the 'pastor' or 'leader'. The Driscoll paradigm is an extreme right-wing one and the documentation trail that has been exposed online and in the press is growing evidence of his 'Napoleon' complex.

Directing this back to the OP, it is vital that right-thinking human beings (this could even include Christians) denounce fraud, deception and abuse whenever and wherever they find it. Bill Johnson is (to paraphrase Spinal Tap) 'treading water in a sea of retarded theology' and is a teller of outright lies. The Bethel recovery groups are full his tales of deception and worse. It is a very black spot indeed on the reputation of HTB that the Bethel lot were invited into the Anglican fold, which at least gives the appearance of acceptance of demonstrably dishonest claims and behaviour and confused theology. When will Christian Culture stop accepting abusive behaviour as OK? When? Sure John Piper advocates that women should accept being beaten by their husbands because it's 'biblical' behaviour—but hey, 'he's a brother in Christ', right? Nicky Gumbell has a lot to answer for with all the crackpots he has invited to HTB—either unaware or uninterested in the human cost, all the lives in ruins, because of the charlatans with whom he wants to share a stage. Shame on him.

K.

quote:
Sure John Piper advocates that women should accept being beaten by their husbands because it's 'biblical' behaviour—but hey, 'he's a brother in Christ', right?

I'm fairly confident that John Piper doesn't advocate any such thing. I'm also reasonably confident that you couldn't provide any evidence that he does either. In which case, you really should retract the statement or clarify that you are engaging in some ill-advised form of rhetorical hyperbole rather than plain old slanderous defamation of character.

quote:
Nicky Gumbell has a lot to answer for with all the crackpots he has invited to HTB—either unaware or uninterested in the human cost, all the lives in ruins, because of the charlatans with whom he wants to share a stage. Shame on him.

K.

I too wonder why Nicky Gumbel, whose daily bible reflections I read and am convinced are reasonably sound, is prepared to give credence and a platform to certain people, particularly the prosperity crowd.

Piper clearly advocates that wives endure abuse from their violent husbands at least 'for a season'. Read all about his misogynist claptrap here.

If you can bear to watch the video, watch just how funny Piper finds the subject of wife beating (he bursts into laughter when the subject is raised). This is just another brick in the wall of Christian Culture. No matter how sick, how violent and destructive, the 'great men' and their crackpot ideas must be defended.

[ 15. November 2013, 11:19: Message edited by: Komensky ]

quote:

I too wonder why Nicky Gumbel, whose daily bible reflections I read and am convinced are reasonably sound, is prepared to give credence and a platform to certain people, particularly the prosperity crowd. [/QB]

It's part of his larger ecumenicism. That is, to try to draw together a large variety of denominations and sects based on common ground. Seems like a nice idea, but there is a cost. Surely there is a way to encourage ecumenism without getting too cozy with hucksters and snake oil salesmen.

quote:
Piper clearly advocates that wives endure abuse from their violent husbands at least 'for a season'. Read all about his misogynist claptrap here.

That is a lie. He says that verbal abuse is something that can be endured for a season. He doesn't lay down any guidelines and he certainly doesn't 'advocate' it. He says that physical abuse is unacceptable and that the local church should protect women from violent behaviour in the first instance and then exercise church discipline against the perpetrator. By inference, this would include legal recourse if the perpetrator has committed a crime, such as rape or any kind of harm.

[ 15. November 2013, 11:23: Message edited by: daronmedway ]

Don't be an apologist for abuse. Piper's line is so ripe with sexism and privilege that it's hard to know where to start. Note how Piper places the one being abused as the one who should act and the one forced to 'endure' abuse (and yes, Piper agrees that includes physical abuse). What a humane person would have said was that she should phone the police—physical and mental abuse are crimes. But PIper's comments are different from that: "If it’s[the abuse] not requiring her to sin, but simply hurting her, then I think she endures verbal abuse for a season, she endures perhaps being smacked one night".

How can you live with that?

[ 15. November 2013, 11:32: Message edited by: Komensky ]

Piper isn't the Pope. He's not Infallible (neither is the Pope .. [Biased] [Razz] ) but I don't think he's guilty of the same level of misogyny as one might level at Driscoll's door.

quote:
Don't be an apologist for abuse. Piper's line is so ripe with sexism and privilege that it's hard to know where to start. Note how Piper places the one being abused as the one who should act and the one forced to 'endure' abuse (and yes, Piper agrees that includes physical abuse). What a humane person would have said was that she should phone the police—physical and mental abuse are crimes. But PIper's comments are different from that: "If it’s[the abuse] not requiring her to sin, but simply hurting her, then I think she endures verbal abuse for a season, she endures perhaps being smacked one night".

How can you live that?

I can live with what he says, not your perversion of what he says or that of the blogger to which you've linked.

He is being asked a question about complemenarianism. The question is designed to test his theology and the pastoral application of that theology. What he basically says is this: a woman is only called to submit to Christlike behaviour in her husband. If a husband tries to coerce his wife into becoming complicit in sin she is to say no to him because Christ would not coerce her into sin. In other words, a husband has no right to expect his wife to submit to anything in him which is not like Christ, including joining him in sin.

However, Piper also mentions situations of abuse. The first situation he addresses is verbal abuse. He says that this type of abuse is endurable, for a season. This is a mere statement of fact, not of principle. Piper is clear that such behaviour is sinful and therefore unacceptable. But with regard to physical abuse Piper says that an abused woman should seek the protection of the church from her abusive husband who would then come under immediate church discipline, which would include recourse to law.

quote:
Piper isn't the Pope. He's not Infallible (neither is the Pope .. [Biased] [Razz] ) but I don't think he's guilty of the same level of misogyny as one might level at Driscoll's door.

Agreed. My point in raising Piper as an example is to show another example of the intractable resistance in Christian Culture in confronting destructive behaviour from Christian speakers (or 'leaders' or 'pastors' or priests). I can remember when Todd Bentley was being discussed behind closed doors at a major evangelical church in London and none of the 'leaders' were willing to call a spade a spade. Between the lines, it reads more like "let the patterns of abuse and deception continue! To hell with the human cost, that's not our concern! Our job is to maintain our phoney-baloney facade and Christian Culture! God can use this! Even if it is destructive, God wan work through it, to work his magic!"; and so on.

K.

quote:
quote:

How can you live that?

I can live with what he says, not your perversion of what he says or that of the blogger to which you've linked.

He is being asked a question about complemenarianism. The question is designed to test his theology and the pastoral application of that theology. What he basically says is this: a woman is only called to submit to Christlike behaviour in her husband. If a husband tries to coerce his wife into becoming complicit in sin she is to say no to him because Christ would not coerce her into sin. In other words, a husband has no right to expect his wife to submit to anything in him which is not like Christ, including joining him in sin.

However, Piper also mentions situations of abuse. The first situation he addresses is verbal abuse. He says that this type of abuse is endurable, for a season. This is a mere statement of fact, not of principle. Piper is clear that such behaviour is sinful and therefore unacceptable. But with regard to physical abuse Piper says that an abused woman should seek the protection of the church from her abusive husband who would then come under immediate church discipline, which would include recourse to law.

Nice try. Sucker please.

My apologies—we're getting off topic.

K.

Agreed. It was a silly example to use.

quote:
Mea culpa: 'no room' was an exaggeration.

The restriction on critical assessment is a particular problem in evangelical circles because of the frequent lack of core doctrine—all the so-called 'Spirit-led' stuff is believed to come from God (this then often leads to modalist problems too). When someone says 'the Spirit' or 'God' or 'the Lord' has 'put this image on my heart', etc., suggesting that whatever happened next was anything short of divine revelation is tantamount to blaspheming.

Your attempt to remedy your error only made it worse. Again you are engaging in egregious hyperbole and stereotyping. There are segments of evangelicalism, particularly charismatic evangelicalism where a "lack of core doctrine" may in fact lead to the problems you cite, but it is far from the norm or even a "frequent" characteristic of this very broad and diverse movement.

Again, I think the problems you and others are raising owe more to the common tendency among many groups of people to be people-pleasers and conflict avoiders.

quote:
quote:

Agreed. My point in raising Piper as an example is to show another example of the intractable resistance in Christian Culture in confronting destructive behaviour from Christian speakers (or 'leaders' or 'pastors' or priests). I can remember when Todd Bentley was being discussed behind closed doors at a major evangelical church in London and none of the 'leaders' were willing to call a spade a spade. Between the lines, it reads more like "let the patterns of abuse and deception continue! To hell with the human cost, that's not our concern! Our job is to maintain our phoney-baloney facade and Christian Culture! God can use this! Even if it is destructive, God wan work through it, to work his magic!"; and so on.

K.

Nonsense. Both Piper and Bentley-- to say nothing of the insufferable Driscoll-- are discussed and criticized openly and explicitly within evangelical circles all the time, and have been since the very beginning of their regrettable ministries. Your attempts to justify your extreme over-generalizations continue to just make things worse.

If it's any consolation, and it's not meant as justification, I've also been guilty, Komensky, of over-egging things when I've raised criticisms or concerns about particular emphases or personalities who appear to be tolerated within evo-charismaticdom.

It's counter-productive.

I'm trying not to do it as much as I used to.

It's a bit like the boy who cried 'Wolf!' If you're not careful, you might end up undermining your own case ... not with present company (both cliffdweller and daronmedway would be as critical as you are when it comes to Driscoll and Bentley, Bethel etc) but more generally ...

I'm not carrying a candle for Piper, but I wouldn't put him in anywhere the same categories as the Driscolls and Bentleys of this world.

The point you raise, though, is a very valid one. Evangelical charismatics are far too prone to countenance or defend the indefensible until the shit literally hits the fan.

But then the same holds true in other Christian traditions and confessions over different issues.

I know it's not exactly the same but I could show you Orthodox discussion boards where people bang on and on about Clinton being a war-criminal for ordering the bombing of Belgrade or accusing Obama of favouring Muslims over Christians yadda yadda yadda ...

Ok, so none of them - so far - have tried to pretend that Milosovic or Ratko Mladic were anything other than heinous war-criminals - but I wouldn't expect it would be that difficult to find some xenophobic Orthodox who would.

Each tradition has its strengths and weaknesses.

Hyper-credulity and a lack of theological rigour is a weakness within the evangelical charismatic scene. Granted. But it's a big step from that to saying that evangelicals and charismatics don't engage their critical faculties at all.

I can certainly sympathise because I've seen more than my fair share of bollocks over the years but I'm not naive enough to see bollocks as a purely evangelical charismatic characteristic.

quote:
… until the shit literally hits the fan.

[Smile]

© Ship of Fools 2016