Thread: Back and Forth: The Tennis Thread Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=026477

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

I see the French ***n coverage has moved from BBC digital to ITV4 this year. Seems to be that if you watch tennis, you need car insurance.

So far, Heather Watson's played a good match to get to the 2nd round: Sharapova currently slaughtering the opposition, Sciavone through, and Murray's ***ning match this afternoon.

<small>[ 27. January 2013, 23:21: Message edited by: Imaginary Friend ]</small>

[ 13. February 2013, 04:32: Message buggered about with by: Ariston ]

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

Let's hope Murray has the stamina to see it through this time.

Well he's through fairly easily into the next round (apart from slight drama in set 2).

Has Murray had his teeth fixed or has he just generally smartened himself up? He looks less like Shaggy Dog and more like Tim Henman now (although I'm not too keen on bright red shorts, too much of a Wimbledon 'all in white how it should be done properly' sort of person).

Djokovic actually had to do a little bit of work today.

The first week tends to be something of a procession - though Serena Williams is gone.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Djokovic actually had to do a little bit of work today.

The first week tends to be something of a procession - though Serena Williams is gone.

Her sister's out too, though she's not been well for a while. Athletes always look especially forlorn when they are ill. It seems that they can cope with injuries but illnesses hurt them more.

Meanwhile, Murray is having a very unlucky 2nd round - back trouble now. I wonder whether he ought to be playing on....

He's just said in the post-match interview that he was advised to stop - but didn't, and won in this instance. But I wouldn't have thought that's an approach that'll work every time.

I guess he feels it was justified seeing as he did win in the end. But I couldn't help thinking about the long term cost (and even, in the shorter term) his chances at Wimbledon.

OK, perhaps I was wrong - he doesn't seem to be having much trouble 2 days later v. Giraldo.

Posted by Sir Kevin (# 3492) on :

I am going to daily mass at the cathedral, followed by a meeting. By the time I return, my lovely bride will be up and about so I can tune in the Tennis Channel. I was disappointed when the Williams sisters were eliminated.

If someone had told me a decade ago that the top-ranked player in the sport would be a Russian girl, I would never have believed it. Back then, if I remember correctly, there was the lovely but untalented fashion-plate Anna Kourinova and precious few others from her part of the world...

That was an interesting match this afternoon, Djokovic vs Seppi. The fact that he pulled it back after being two sets down probably explains why he's No 1 and the other chap isn't.

Murray making a good comeback against Gasquet, one set down, now leading 2-1. Anything could still happen....

So Murray lives to see another day. Final 8 here we come!

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

Ferrer will be tough for Andy. Ferrer is always tough, and he's having a very good season.

Close call. I think on balance that Andy will make the semis again, meet Nadal, then check out for Queens Club.

And two QFs to savour! Tsonga-Djokovic was marvellous. Still don't know how Novak managed to pull that one out of the fire.

Can't help thinking that del Potro on two good knees would have rolled over the Fed quite easily today.

The long 5 setters probably make for a more even semi-final. But after his truly Great Escape, I think Novak Djokovic will make the final - and lose to Nadal. Can't see anyone beating Rafa this week - unless his knees go.

Ferrer was too tough on the day. No great surprise, regardless of whatever injury Andy may be carrying. He made too many unforced errors on the day. You can't do that against Ferrer.

He's in good form and will give Nadal a tough match, but Nadal invariably beats him on clay.

I still fancy Rafa-Novak in the final, with Novak more fatigued by the fight to get there. Hard to pick anyone but Rafa now.

[ 06. June 2012, 21:37: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

Murray will need to work on his general fitness now in time for Wimbledon.
I'd be surprised if it isn't Nadal for winner. He looks fitter than ever, and still hasn't lost his mean fighting look when playing.

Sharapova was first class today. Even if you don't like the NOISE, she's a real force of nature when her game is on song.

.. and today. A worthy winner, both today and of the whole thing.

One truly scary bit of news is that her earnings from all sources are pushing Sharapova up towards billionaire status. She really does seem to have a lot to shout about.

The men's final tomorrow should be interesting: on the one hand, Nadal seems to have had an easy progress, whereas Djokovic has had a couple of epic struggles where his success wasn't a given.

Posted by Celtic Knotweed (# 13008) on :

Play suspended for the day [Frown] . Oh well, looks like I'll be following the rest of the final via the BBC web-ticker at work rather than listening at home. Pity, it was shaping into an interesting match over the last few games.

Well, it was Nadal in the end, but, following Novak's stunning "rise from the dead" in set three, I can't help but wonder whether Rafa was saved by the rain on Sunday.

Posted by Og, King of Bashan (# 9562) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Well, it was Nadal in the end, but, following Novak's stunning "rise from the dead" in set three, I can't help but wonder whether Rafa was saved by the rain on Sunday.

I'd say he was almost done in by the rain on Sunday. I was pulling for Djokovic, but I have to say that had the conditions not deteriorated, Rafa wouldn't have dropped the third set.

quote:
Originally posted by Celtic Knotweed:
Oh well, looks like I'll be following the rest of the final via the BBC web-ticker at work rather than listening at home...

That sounds even less interesting than listening to golf on the radio! I'd rather just play a match versus the wall at our local neighbourhood park which has several courts. Thank God I get the tennis channel on tele...

I see Murray didn't last long at Queen's. And Tsonga, whom you'd expect to be a shoo-in for the championship in consequence, has just dropped a set to a never-heard-of-him Croatian.

Posted by ThinkČ (# 1984) on :

Hmm, making the line judge bleed - way to lose Nalbandian. Disgusts me that the commentators are saying - oh I wish there was another way to handle it - of course there damn well isn't, he's lucky he hasn't been done for assault.

Oh and fairly graceless apology to the crowd, didn't even mention the line judge.

Even John McEnroe didn't go that far!

Only way to handle it. Top tennis players are not above trying to psych out both their opponents and the match officials if they think they can get away with it. Even Nadal has this thing of keeping everyone waiting at the beginning of a match while he lines up his drink bottles.

Give in to the crowd in an instance like this, and you've ceded the pass.

I love it when Sharapova beats her opponents quickly - it means you don't have to listen to so much shrieking.

Easy start to Federer's tournament as well.

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
I love it when Sharapova beats her opponents quickly - it means you don't have to listen to so much shrieking.

Women's tennis works better on TV with the sound turned down, allowing one to concetrate on the only thing of interest, looking at fit women jumping up and down in skimpy white costumes.

(Men's tennis, on the other hand is improved by having both the sound and the vision turned off, as there is nothing interesting going on at all. Its more boring than even golf or darts on TV. Down there with snooker)

[ 25. June 2012, 17:03: Message edited by: ken ]

Robson was winning before I started watching her. [Confused]

Bellucci sounds like the name of an Italian restaurant chain.

Davydenko reminded me of some of the tennis players of old (eg. Stan Smith).

I like Heather Watson.

(am I the only person still watching the tennis?)

Posted by ElaineC (# 12244) on :

No Chorister I'm watching - if it's only the 'Slamtracker' over the internet.

It's good to see another British Girl past the first round.

Sharapova lives to shriek into the next round. She's getting married soon, apparently. If you want a quiet night, make sure you don't book into the room next door to the honeymoon suite....

Meanwhile, Murray and Ward are still in - Murray doesn't look quite so scary now he's had his teeth done - and looks like he's paid for mum to have hers done too. I noticed when Murray won the third set everyone started applauding, except for mum who just sat there. I guess it's boring when your son keeps winning. Or did she wish that he could have won all three straight sets?

Exciting play from James Ward, especially towards the end of the fourth set!

Very interesting game going on between Rosol and Nadal. Rosol showing an engaging What The Hell approach.

Nadal's a crafty little devil. Don't think he liked waiting for the roof having to go on, though.

Match resumed and Rosol still playing a blinder. 4 - 2 up - where is this going?

Well, there's a thing.

Rosol - woo!!!! [Yipee]

I now want him to win the championship more than I want Andy Murray to.

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

I'm scared to put anything in print for fear of tempting Providence, but ...

Good luck, Mr. Murray! [Smile]

Posted by the giant cheeseburger (# 10942) on :

Nadal showed he is a true champion in his gracious comments after being defeated.

I hope that Andy Murray's babysitter made him sit in front of the television and take notes. Taking it like a man as Nadal did would be a far better reflection on British tennis than chucking a tantrum next time he loses.

Tantrums? Where and when?

Whatever happened to women players who are not Russian or from elsewhere in eastern Europe? Did I miss something?

[Confused]

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
Whatever happened to women players who are not Russian or from elsewhere in eastern Europe? Did I miss something?

[Confused]

Currently (Day 5) - the women's singles matches feature
1 Pole
1 Briton
3 Russians
1 Taiwanese
1 Belgian
2 Americans
2 Germans
1 Italian.

Djokovic losing the first set, interesting times....

But a break up in the second. I would still go for Djokovic for this one.

Posted by badger@thesett (# 16422) on :

I am guessing Djokovic won

Yes, and so did Federer who also got off to a shaky start.

Federer is still amazing. That was some recovery last night and the fourth set was nail-bitingly wonderful viewing.

[Some really special late evening closed-roof Centre Court matches this year. Rosol was mesmerising in that 5th set against Nadal. And this is just the first week.]

[ 30. June 2012, 06:21: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

Serena won (just) while Venus looked on, lethargically.

Posted by the giant cheeseburger (# 10942) on :

Why on earth does it take so bloody long for play to resume after the decision to close the roof?

The Docklands Stadium in Melbourne is much older than the roof at Wimbledon (opened in 2000) and as a full-sized oval stadium for football cricket has a much bigger roof, but even that closes fully in under eight minutes.

The two venues at Melbourne Park (used for the Australian Open) with retractable covering both get things moving again in under ten minutes, with five minutes being the target for the next venue there to get a roof.

quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger:
Why on earth does it take so bloody long for play to resume after the decision to close the roof?

Not particularly long to close the roof, but a while to adjust the air con, I believe.

BTW, you never substantiated your remark about Murray's 'tantrums'.

An 11:02 victory for Murray - about as late as it could possibly be, and then a bit more.

Phew! A different sort of cliff-hanger. I suspect there will be more legal and quasi-legal "chat" about the "absolute" limit of 11pm. Well done, Andy Murray. A bit of a white-knuckle ride!

Some mouth-watering ties in the fourth round. Murray-Cilic and Ferrer-Del Potro both scheduled for Court 1. And heavy rain forecast for London ...

Maybe both Cilic and Murray will have longer to recover from their exertions? Cilic probably needs that more than Murray. He's a dangerous opponent on grass.

If Andy Murray gets through that one, it's Ferrer or Del Potro next. Our boy will do very well to make the semis this year - and if he does, it looks like Tsonga is the likely opponent there. Andy says he'll have to play better to go deep into the second week. You can say that again. "Out of his skin", I should think.

Good for Andy Murray. By far the hardest draw of any of the top players and he's made the semis. And Tsonga lies in waiting. Another tough one.

Based on today's form, Federer-Djoko will be an absolute cracker.

The final I'd like to see would be Murray-Federer.

Posted by Tom Day (# 3630) on :

quote:

Which I also think will give Murray the best chance of winning...

Looking forward to Fridays matches now. One of the ladies from my church has center court tickets for both Sat and Sun. I am very jealous.

I love the way Andy Murray never lets you be quite sure whether he is going to win or not, because all the time he is only just getting by, a few points ahead of his opponent. And also at times only a few points behind. It makes for very exciting tennis!

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Day:
... One of the ladies from my church has center court tickets for both Sat and Sun. I am very jealous.

I used to think that I'd like to go to Wimbledon too, TD - back in the late 70s and early 80s when there were players who I really wanted to bump into.*

You can console yourself that you'll get a far better view of the match on television. [Big Grin]

* Step forward, Mr. Borg ... **sigh** [Hot and Hormonal]

PS Good luck, Mr. Murray. [Smile]

I've watched dribs and drabs of the matches as I get the Tennis Channel on tele. Interesting to see that Serena played doubles and that her sister did not. There were two siblings in another match...

There was a good interview with Djolovic following the last scores reported; his English is quite good.

I have a terrible time telling apart all the tall blonde women taking part at the mo. And if they ever change their hairstyle and undo their plaits or pony tails, or change the colour of their knickers, I'm done for.

I'd really like Radwanska to win the final. I thought she held her cool against Kerber beautifully.

I sort of miss Anna Kournikova: she couldn't play her way out of a paper bag, but she was a fashion-plate and her attempts at tennis were fun to watch. I guess we shouldn't wish to go back to the days when Russian girls really didn't play very well...

Where is Kerber from anyway?

quote:

It certainly looks as if Federer will be turning up.

Posted by Morlader (# 16040) on :

quote:

Where is Kerber from anyway?

Germany. (Google is your friend.)

Posted by Lucia (# 15201) on :

quote:
quote:

It certainly looks as if Federer will be turning up.
You are in luck. Murray too!

Be careful what you wish for. Apparently the Queen may well be at Wimbledon on Sunday. Hope Federer realises what is expected of him ....

Actually, I think he'll win. But Andy Murray probably does have a better chance against him. Particularly if it's a long match.

Federer to win any three setter, even money on a four setter, Andy to win if it goes to five sets. But on balance, Fed will make his day and ruin a lot of other folks' day. He's looked the better player this fortnight.

quote:
Be careful what you wish for. Apparently the Queen may well be at Wimbledon on Sunday. Hope Federer realises what is expected of him ....
y. He's looked the better player this fortnight.

There was a British win for the silver jubilee (Virginia Wade) so there's an emotional precedent.
quote:

Actually, I think he'll win. But Andy Murray probably does have a better chance against him. Particularly if it's a long match.

Federer to win any three setter, even money on a four setter, Andy to win if it goes to five sets. But on balance, Fed will make his day and ruin a lot of other folks' day. He's looked the better player this fortnight.

I'm sure Federer's error count is lower, and that will count against Murray. Federer will accept the dramatic winners Murray can play, make his own winners and win the title on 'unforced' errors. It could be a classic high-risk v low-risk match.

Don't go to Russia, Mr Tsonga. The last loser to a British finalist went on to die in the Battle of Stalingrad.

Federer's a wonderful player, apparently a gentleman and doubtless a Jolly Good Chap, but he's had enough wins to last several lifetimes. This is the best chance Murray's ever likely to get, so I wish him all the luck at my disposal (that may not be much, but at least I'm trying).

I see he's still British (for the moment ...) [Devil]

.... And Marray wins! A 'spello' and a portent?

Really pleased to hear that Marray and Neilsen won - I saw the first three sets, and then TSN* decided that a game of rounders or something was more important, so I didn't see the rest. [Frown]

I was really impressed with their playing though - and wonderful to have a British win.

Maybe another one tomorrow ...? [Smile]

* &#$&%*# American television channels [Mad]

[ 08. July 2012, 01:52: Message edited by: piglet ]

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Really pleased to hear that Marray and Neilsen won - I saw the first three sets, and then TSN* decided that a game of rounders or something was more important, so I didn't see the rest. [Frown]

I was really impressed with their playing though - and wonderful to have a British win.

Maybe another one tomorrow ...? [Smile]

* &#$&%*# American television channels [Mad]

How come you got any coverage? The contestants were from GB, Sweden, Denmark and Romania, ie, no Americans.

Posted by Japes (# 5358) on :

piglet, the Marray/Neilsen match was great all the way through! I'm still recovering.

Posted by Balaam (# 4543) on :

Radio Leeds were claiming Liverpool born Marray as a Yorkshireman this morning. He lives in Sheffield.

Had he lost I'm sure he would have been Lancastrian [Biased]

quote:
But on balance, Fed will make his day and ruin a lot of other folks' day. He's looked the better player this fortnight.

Wish I'd been wrong about that. Very good final, Andy had chances to win the first two sets, but it was not to be. And Federer was the better once it went under the roof. Not sure anyone would have lived with him with the form he showed in sets 3 and 4. And now he's deservedly back to world number one.

I've been watching tennis for over 50 years and Federer is the best player, and the best match player, I've seen during that time. And Murray is by some distance the best UK player I've seen during that time. He's seeking a Grand Slam in an exceptional era for men's tennis. Hope he gets one -soon. These kinds of disappointments are not easy to overcome.

Posted by Dafyd (# 5549) on :

quote:
I sort of miss Anna Kournikova: she couldn't play her way out of a paper bag, but she was a fashion-plate and her attempts at tennis were fun to watch.

She was the world number one women's doubles player for a while.

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
How come you got any coverage? The contestants were from GB, Sweden, Denmark and Romania, ie, no Americans.

That's a very good point, SS. Maybe they'd booked X hours of coverage in case the ladies' singles went on for a while - after all it did have a 'Murcan in it. [Devil]

I'm heartbroken for Andy; I didn't see much of it (choral duties, you understand), but at least he took a set off the great Fed (and perhaps would have taken more if they hadn't had to put the roof on - I heard one commentator say before the match that being under cover would work to Federer's advantage). However, he was a much more gallant loser than anyone might have expected.

I've come to the conclusion that, although he seems to work really well with Ivan Lendl, that gentleman lost two Wimbledon finals and didn't win any ... maybe he should approach Bjorn Borg or Pete Sampras ... [Big Grin]

I saw most of the finals on ESPN. I switched off when the result was no longer in doubt. Had the match been longer, Murray may well have won.

**bump**

Andy Murray has just won the U.S. Open!

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Posted by Mr Clingford (# 7961) on :

quote:
**bump**

Oh I say.

I was nervous turning on the pc this am but YEAH.

Serena was awesome last weekend. She really might be the best woman tennis player of all time. The next time I am in Santa Barbara, I'll see if I can find John MacEnroe and ask him what he thinks...

quote:
**bump**

Woo hoo! what a brilliant result! and a brilliant match - no way could I go to sleep until it was all over. Tired now. zzzzzzzzz

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Clingford:
... Oh I say ...

Ah, someone else who's old enough to remember Dan Maskell ... [Big Grin]

I don't have Chorister's stamina (or nerves of steel) and I turned in just after Djoko won the third set. Thought "this will be a five setter for sure". I still have PTSD from the Henman era!

Anyway, woke up at four, was careful not to disturb Mrs B and checked it out on the mobile. A very loud silent "YEAHHHHHHH!" - then I went back to sleep.

Watching the replay was exhausting enough, Chorister. Tips my hat to you for coping with that match in "real time".

Good for Andy. He's a great player, certainly a worthy Grand Slam winner. Hope it's the first of many for him.

Now for the Ryder Cup!!

[ 12. September 2012, 11:35: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

Thought this might be worth a <<bump>> ...

The Australian Open has been good therapy for a post 'flu (and post virally fatigued convalescent. Some epic matches, not least today's between Murray and Federer. It now looks as though there is a Big Two in the men's game (rather than the Big Four).

Yes, I watched the Murray-Federer match this morning - another edge-of-seat contest. And Murray does seem to love going to five sets. Federer just ran out of steam towards the end, otherwise it was a close-fought match.

Looking forward to the final on Sunday - I should be singing really, but sometimes other priorities take over....

When you're the organist's wife, nothing takes precedence over singing ... [Big Grin]

Still, good luck Andy! **crosses fingers** [Smile]

So who's sat watching the TV on a Sunday morning?

Will Murray hold this game?

Well it got off to a blistering start.....
And then ended in blisters.

Andy tried so hard, but in the end just couldn't do it. Fantastic playing from Djokovich, who presumably remained blister-free throughout.

quote:
So who's sat watching the TV on a Sunday morning?

Of course. God has to accept coming second sometimes!

Posted by Imaginary Friend (# 186) on :

Are you suggesting that God is Scottish, ginger, and has a weird adam's apple?

It would explain a lot.

Just in case you want some context for the new title. [Smile]

I thought that's what you were getting at.

I didn't see the match today - some of us have choirs who need us. [Devil]

Never mind, Andy - save yourself for Windlebum.

Before this thread sinks down to page two, while waiting for the next big tournament to begin, I'd just like to draw shipmates' attention to the rather amusing sight we were treated to throughout the Murray-Djokovich match, where a large alligator (Lacoste advert) was positioned just behind the head of each player, looking for all the world, in the camera close-ups, as if she was about to bite off their heads!

:bump:

:final bump:

Wondered what had happened to this thread.

Startling results in the Wimbledon Women's Singles - following Serena's exit, now Kvitova goes out to Flipkens (who couldn't even qualify last year).

I think Lisicki might even win it now.

The Men's singles? Novak is playing "lights out", never seen him so good, and although Berdych is tough on paper, I think he'll be out. Andy has a great record against Verdasco, but looks like his back is playing up again. If he wins, there's a small (actually 2 metres tall) Pole who is looking tough too. Andy will do well to make the final again.

But I'd be surprised if Novak doesn't win this year. He just looks a lot better than anyone else.

[ 02. July 2013, 20:48: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

Just like old days. Murray's match today was reminiscent of lots of Henman "white knuckle" rides. He did very well to get through. He'll have further trouble with that big Pole on Friday, I think.

Djokovic very impressive again, but del Potro was amazing. If the physios can keep him going, he could give Novak a scare or two.

Should be a competitive Friday.

The Bartoli/Flipkens match was rather disappointing, particularly after the excitement of the Murray match the day before. But all was not lost, as Lisiki and Radwanska treated us to today's 'Will she, won't she?' match. Like Murray, Lisiki kept us guessing, until the last possible moment, whether she would make it through.

My favourite is definitely Lisiki for the title, although I shall very much enjoy watching Bartoli doing her little 'ants in her pants and fly swatting' routine between points again!

I can't see del Potro - practically playing with a broken leg - holding off Djokovic.

I'm not totally sure Murray can see off the ten-foot Pole.

But anyway, Djokovic is going to win it this year.

I'm tuning in right after The Archers. Bummed that Serena went out. I think Sloane was still around last time I looked in...

quote:
I'm tuning in right after The Archers. Bummed that Serena went out. I think Sloane was still around last time I looked in...

That must have been a while ago. It's Bartoli and Lisicki for the final tomorrow.

quote:
I can't see del Potro - practically playing with a broken leg - holding off Djokovic.

Neither could anyone, but he put up a heck of a fight. What do they make tennis players out of these days? Imagine asking a fast bowler to bowl for two sessions, with no relief from another at the other end?
quote:

I'm not totally sure Murray can see off the ten-foot Pole.

But anyway, Djokovic is going to win it this year.

Murray wasn't totally comfortable but he did OK.

If the final was to be held tomorrow I'd give him a chance (like the Olympic final, in which he played a tired opponent), but it isn't, so he hasn't.

Lisiki cried when she won a point and cried when she lost a point. It was only towards the end of the match that she finally beefed up and gave the audience what they had come to see - some sort of competition. Huge respect for Bertoli, to just keep steadily plugging away until she was victorious.

It should be a wonderful final tomorrow, Murray vs. Djokovich, with some masterful play. Let's hope so.

You couldn't help feeling sorry for Lisicki; having conquered Serena Williams, she seemed to be completely outclassed by Bertoli.

My blood pressure's already going up for tomorrow, and I won't even be able to watch it live, as it starts at 10:30 our time, and like all dedicated choristers*, ( [Devil] ) I'll be otherwise occupied.

I should be able to catch it on the TSN Encore, assuming it doesn't go on all night ...

* well, ones who are married to the organist [Big Grin]

Oh, I say.

Well, that was tough.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Clingford:
Oh, I say ...

I hope Dan Maskell was watching from Heaven.

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

and again I say

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Posted by tessaB (# 8533) on :

[Overused]
We have waited a few years, but the boy did good.
[Overused]
My word though, playing like that in that heat!
[Overused]

Fantastic match, wonderful nail-biting finish! I truly feel a part of history now I've seen Virginia Wade AND Andy Murray win Wimbledon!

Put like that, you're making me feel old; I remember Virginia Wade winning too. [Big Grin]

quote:
Put like that, you're making me feel old; I remember Virginia Wade winning too. [Big Grin]

My excuse is that I was just a few days short of my 5th birthday; it is my first memory of a public event (that or the Silver Jubilee street party!).

Scary thing is, when I go to Scrabble club this week, there will be at least 2 women there who will be reminiscing about when they saw Fred Perry win. [Eek!]

For people who don't follow the Anti-Murray thread in Hell, here's a little comedy interlude about the other famous Scottish tennis champ. [Biased]

[Big Grin]

Posted by Sylvander (# 12857) on :

I rather liked:
"He is the first British man to win Wimbledon in short trousers."
The Daily Telegraph 8 July 2013.

<bump>

Can I recommend the Wimbledon Tennis Museum to anyone who hasn't visited it yet? I spent 6 hours there a week or so ago and still didn't see everything. There is film footage and memorabilia stretching from the very beginnings of tennis as a game, right through to the present day. Highlights were, for me, to go onto centre court and see the Murray final score writ large, and also to see Murray's name engraved on the Gentlemen's Singles Trophy. 2013 really is a good year to visit.

<forehand cross-court return>

© Ship of Fools 2016