Thread: How CofE are you? Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=026488

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

There's a thread in Purgatory discussing the lay understanding of the CofE and this quiz which I found on Twitter rather sums up some of the issues. Rather than derail Purgatory, I'm putting the quiz link here, and a link to this thread in Purgatory.

I got 76%, the person who posted it got 83%.

So how CofE are you?

Posted by Pyx_e (# 57) on :

25% snigger

[Big Grin] @Pyx_e

I dropped out 18 months ago!

Posted by pjl (# 16929) on :

Quite amazing that I achieved 47%
Firmly sat on the fence.

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

67%

quote:
Wishy-washy knowledge that just about qualifies you for Anglican identity but may not ultimately save you.
As I'm a Universalist and haven't been a member of C of E for about 30 years, should I be worried?

Posted by Evensong (# 14696) on :

72% And I tried! [Ultra confused]

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

If I remember correctly I got 82%, but then I was not posting what I believed to be true about the CofE but what I believed to be the story it tells about itself.

There is a subtle but important difference in that. Some of its claims would not stand up to scrutiny by decent Ecclesiastical Historians but are still held.

Jengie

Posted by North East Quine (# 13049) on :

I got 87%! 87%!!!

"Very well done indeed - you are either God or the Archbishop of Canterbury himself. All that remains is for you to preach the gospel."

I could just see myself as Archbishop of Canterbury; the first female Presbyterian Calvinist, non Church of England Archbishop.

[Big Grin]

Posted by JoannaP (# 4493) on :

93% [Yipee]

I found it very hard to choose just one answer to the question about General Synod.

Posted by Adeodatus (# 4992) on :

60%, but I was being mischievous some of the time. I might try it "seriously" at some point. I yelped with laughter at the question on who regulates worship - "the liturgy police from Staggers". Yeah, they wish!

Posted by Cara (# 16966) on :

83% ! not bad!

Posted by SyNoddy (# 17009) on :

78% hmmm might try again giving 'official' answers

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

80% - but I'm a U.S. Episcopalian.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

39% Damn, way too high.

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

80% for this Methodist!

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

quote:
Very well done indeed - you are either God or the Archbishop of Canterbury himself. All that remains is for you to preach the gospel.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

76%. Pretty good for a member who hasn't regularly attended an Anglican church for fifteen years. Shows, as Jengie Jon mentioned, that it's more a test of awareness than anything else.

One of the better on-line quizzes, certainly the more entertaining.

Posted by The Rogue (# 2275) on :

36%. I have been a member all my life.

Posted by ArachnidinElmet (# 17346) on :

Does that mean 50% is quite good for an RC [Smile]

Posted by JFH (# 14794) on :

21%, but I could probably blame part of that on lack of anglo-saxon culture. That, and seeing how some answers were "correct" but instead going for the ones that most aptly described what my personal view would be on that.

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

87% - which surprises me.

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

And another 87% There are obviously a lot of candidates for Archbishop of Canterbury.

Posted by Ariston (# 10894) on :

63%, though I'm pretty sure that would have been a lot lower if I'd picked the answers I liked, rather than the one the pedant in me told me were historically correct.

Posted by hugorune (# 17793) on :

58%, but I've only been Church of England for two or three months.

Posted by The Midge (# 2398) on :

30%

Pioneering ministry for me then. [Big Grin]

Posted by Gladly The Cross-eyed Bear (# 9641) on :

82%

Described as "Theologically Enlightened". Mostly I'm just a history nerd. (Disciples of Christ)

Gladly

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

You are 12% theologically enlightened

Woeful ignorance! You're either a heretic or a papist. Either way, your salvation is severely impaired.

-------

An Anglican talking about impaired salvation strikes me as ... something. [Big Grin]

Posted by Evangeline (# 7002) on :

I am 76% theologically enlightened [Ultra confused]

"Not bad at all - you're accustomed to theological compromise and nuanced doctrinal positions. Keep up the good work!"

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

I'm 83% theologically enlightened - not bad for someone who's never actually been a member of the Church of England. I've been an Anglican for 25 years, but never lived in England.

What bothered me though was that at the start when it asks your age and gender, it already knew ...

[Eek!] [Paranoid] [Eek!]

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

You can thank the NSA and GCHQ for that!

piglet - the pre-entry of gender and age group amused me too - but I suspect you and I fall into the most likely CofE category.

Posted by Gracious rebel (# 3523) on :

Never been an Anglican yet I scored 91%. Methinks I must hang around on these boards too much and absorb it unwittingly! [Biased]

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

56%.

Does this mean that I'll spend working days on odd weeks in Hell and the rest of the time in Heaven?

Posted by Horseman Bree (# 5290) on :

82% - not bad for living 4 time zones away.

But I did look for the "correct" answers, not the ones that made the most sense to me.

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

I am CofE but only got 25%. This is because I'm a cynical bastard and answered the questions truthfully as opposed to what a member of the CofE is meant to think, if he crosses his fingers and screws his eyes up really, really hard and then lies.

Posted by SvitlanaV2 (# 16967) on :

I got 58%, despite my dreadful lack of knowledge about the CofE! Maybe I'm learning something after all. If I can get a bit further I might yet be able to find my niche in a CofE pew.

Shame there's no list of correct answers to study after taking the quiz.

Posted by roybart (# 17357) on :

87% here. At last, a payoff for all those dreary history of religion courses long ago.

Svitlana82 ~ the whole point of that quiz is that most of those answers are right for someone in the CofE ~ it's riddled with in jokes. ~ and the scoring is for a particular expression of the CofE.

Posted by pimple (# 10635) on :

I'm 2% more wishy-washy than WW!

Posted by SvitlanaV2 (# 16967) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Svitlana82 ~ the whole point of that quiz is that most of those answers are right for someone in the CofE ~ it's riddled with in jokes. ~ and the scoring is for a particular expression of the CofE.

As I suspected. But still, if the quiz doesn't tell you which 'expression' you fit into then it's not very helpful, is it? Not unless you know already, in which case you don't really need to do the quiz!

But yes, I know, it's just a bit of fun!!! [Smile]

Posted by Forthview (# 12376) on :

I am apparently 93% enlightened theologically about the CoE,though I have never been a member.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

76%, not bad, but my attention does tend to wander during the spoken bits.

Posted by TonyK (# 35) on :

87% - and how on earth did I end up in The Circus - I thought I was in DH....

Posted by Ariston (# 10894) on :

Everyone winds up in the Circus eventually. You cannot escape it. We always win.

As for non-CoE types scoring insanely high, that may be a combination of us hanging around the Ship (and thus knowing all the answers, including the boring, historically correct ones), but not having a dog in any particular fight, meaning that the boring, historically correct answers are the ones we naturally think of as being right…rather than the really fun, snarky ones that got the cradle 'piskies marked down. I'm pretty sure I would have scored higher if I hadn't entered "screw it, the AoC's a bearded space alien" mode by the end and started voting for the clever answers over the straight-up correct ones.

Posted by Heavenly Anarchist (# 13313) on :

63 per cent which I'm hoping is based purely on my knowledge of history [Biased]

Posted by Sir Kevin (# 3492) on :

61% - odd because I've been RC for years but I was C of E back in the nineties!

[Confused]

Posted by Sandemaniac (# 12829) on :

I got 76%. Mind you, I did a "How Essex are you?" one the other week, and came out as 0% Essex. Given that I was born in Essex, as were both my parents and two of my grandparents, and I grew up there as well, I take such quizzes with appropriate quantities of sodium chloride!

AG

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
61% - odd because I've been RC for years but I was C of E back in the nineties!

[Confused]

I was baptised RCC but later became CofE and the line "Once a Catholic" is oh so true. It looks like the reverse isn't so different.

Posted by Oferyas (# 14031) on :

94%! I knew the C of E would regret pensioning me off early! How many of us true anglicans are left? Last one out, please turn the lights off!

Posted by Kyzyl (# 374) on :

85% for this Piskie.

© Ship of Fools 2016