Thread: Baronius Press Breviary Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=026563

Posted by Antiphon (# 14779) on :

According to their website the Baronius Press edition of the Roman Breviary is back in stock. It is advised that the set is being sold on a strictly first-come first-served basis and that there is no guarantee that it will be reprinted again when current stocks are exhausted.

Therefore, if anyone is interested in acquiring a set it may be wise to place your order as soon as possible!!

Posted by stonespring (# 15530) on :

It's so expensive! So is a 4 volume set of the Post-Vatican II Liturgy of the Hours, though. Is there any printed version of the Pre-Vatican II complete Breviary in Latin with English translation that is from a public domain text and is reasonably priced? It does not need to be a version that is allowable for priests under Summorum Pontificum since I am a layperson and can pray as I please [Smile] .

Posted by Manipled Mutineer (# 11514) on :

I believe that Lord Bute's circa 1909 translation of the breviary is available from Nabu Press and similar publishers whose business it is to reproduce out of copyright books. It is in English only, however, and not the most accessible version, so may not meet your needs. It is difficult to be sure, but I think this may be a copy of his version. Alternatively, see here. There are about four other translations of the breviary out there but the only one which may have been reprinted is the Hours of the Divine Office in Latin & English. As Antiphon will know, original sets of any one of these translations are both rare and expensive; luck and perseverance will be needed to find one for much under £100 and the asking price can be much more. If you would consider an abridged breviary then I can recommend "A Short Breviary for Religious and the Laity". Solely in English, it shortens and simplifies some of the offices and omits some feasts to fit a one-volume format but is handy and prays quite well. It is also rather cheaper at about half the price of the full breviaries and has been reprinted. There are a couple of copies on Amazon UK now from £22, which is as good a price as I have seen for years.

[ 29. November 2013, 07:20: Message edited by: Manipled Mutineer ]

Posted by dkpintar (# 14802) on :

Hello,

If anyone is interested, I have a( extra) copy of the 3 volume Latin-English "Divine Office" published by the Liturgical Press.

It's in good condtion.
Send me a pm here and we can talk about a price.

UK/Ireland only; sorry.

DK

Posted by stonespring (# 15530) on :

Thanks, Manipled Mutineer.

And I'm in the US - so I can't take up dkpintar's offer.

[ 30. November 2013, 22:40: Message edited by: stonespring ]

Stonespring, you are very welcome. If it is any consolation, being based in the US you are at least well placed to pick up any copies of the breviary in translation which do appear, since three of the five I can think of, plus the Short Breviary, were published over your side of the pond and thus seem proportionately more common there.

Posted by PaulBC (# 13712) on :

Stonespring
check with second hand book stores they might have a copy.

Another option, if you are willing to lose the little hours and night office is this : Lauds, Vespers & Compline , from the aforementioned Hours of the Divine Office. There are a couple of copies of the Short Breviary, from the same stable, for around the same price. The best price online that I can find at the moment fir a full breviary is $200 for the 1964 Benziger one-volume edition, which is at the lower end of the market, plus a couple of odd volumes of the Hours at $50 apiece.

quote:
Originally posted by stonespring:
Thanks, Manipled Mutineer.

And I'm in the US - so I can't take up dkpintar's offer.

I'm sorry about that. The shipping costs to the US are just too much.

quote:
Originally posted by Manipled Mutineer:
Another option, if you are willing to lose the little hours and night office is this : Lauds, Vespers & Compline , from the aforementioned Hours of the Divine Office. There are a couple of copies of the Short Breviary, from the same stable, for around the same price. The best price online that I can find at the moment fir a full breviary is $200 for the 1964 Benziger one-volume edition, which is at the lower end of the market, plus a couple of odd volumes of the Hours at $50 apiece.

I have recently see some copies of the "Lauds, Vespers and Compline" on EBay.
Which can be a good place to find copies of these types of books.

© Ship of Fools 2016