Thread: The Loud Amen.... Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=026627

Posted by pimple (# 10635) on :

...is properly reserved for Easter, I think, and it's not one I can happily join in. It smacks too much of spitting against the wind.

But Christmas is different. "Amen" without the shriek mark, a quiet "Let it be - please"
is a prayer I can share. Let the promise be true. Let peace reign. Let common sense and compassion not be sneered at. Let the unknown no longer be feared, the foreigner no longer despised, the speakers of truth no longer silenced.

Christmas can accommodate Cathedral bells and Quaker silence in comfortable communion. A quiet amen to all that, in a noisy, fragmented world
that trumpets power and progress, but secretly yearns friendly contact, company, love.

Pitching for the quotes file? Moi?

[ 19. December 2013, 11:08: Message edited by: pimple ]

Posted by EtymologicalEvangelical (# 15091) on :

I can't say 'Amen' to an event which is nothing more than historical (necessary and beautiful though it was). I cannot say 'Amen' to nothing more than a neat set of moral and religious principles, which may provide some kind of helpful framework to live by. But I can say 'Amen' to the spiritual reality of 'Immanuel': God with us.

Now how do we understand "God with us"? Does 'us' refer to 'man / mankind' in some abstract or merely corporate sense? Or some merely historical sense? No, this cannot be the case. "God with us" includes "God with me" (and, of course, goes beyond me to include fellowship with others), and when I say with I mean really, actually, objectively and subjectively, experientally, spiritually WITH. "God' is not merely a nice idea or a helpful construct to add the finishing touch to a useful and intellectually satisfying worldview. If God is not objectively real, and subjectively with me and us - the authentic 'Immanuel' - then there is no possibility of an 'Amen' or a 'Hallelujah'.

One of the names of Christ, associated with the Christmas story, encapsulates the heart of the Christian faith: the reality of God in the here and now.

Posted by stonespring (# 15530) on :

Is the "loud Amen" something typically done in Easter worship services among certain varieties of Christians or is it referring to something more figurative?

Posted by andras (# 2065) on :

Well, the Gloria has been missing since the beginning of Advent and comes triumphantly back on Christmas Day; and Easter is marked with the return of Alleluia which was missing during Lent.

But I've never heard of the Amen (loud or otherwise) being attached to a particular season. Can someone explain?

Posted by Clint Boggis (# 633) on :

Shouting "Amen" seems like attention-seeking.

Soliciting a response with an "AMEN?" would make me squirm in my seat or get up and leave.

What has the season to do with it?

[ 22. December 2013, 23:25: Message edited by: Clint Boggis ]

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

quote:
Clint Boggis: Soliciting a response with an "AMEN?" would make me squirm in my seat or get up and leave.
It makes me want to say some rather rude things back.

Posted by Robert Armin (# 182) on :

The phrase come from the end of the hymn, "Jesus shall reign wher'ere the sun":
quote:
Let every creature rise and bring
Peculiar honours to our King:
Angels descend with songs again,
And earth repeat the loud Amen.

As far as I know it isn't linked to any particualr time of the Church's year, and I've never heard of a liturgical "loud Amen" anywhere.

(However I am intrigued that the entries on [url= http://www.hymnwiki.org/Jesus_Shall_Reign_Where'er_the_Sun]this page[/url] seem to link it with Mormonism. I doubt that that was Isaac Watt's intention.)

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
The phrase come from the end of the hymn, "Jesus shall reign wher'ere the sun":
quote:
Let every creature rise and bring
Peculiar honours to our King:
Angels descend with songs again,
And earth repeat the loud Amen.

As far as I know it isn't linked to any particualr time of the Church's year, and I've never heard of a liturgical "loud Amen" anywhere.

(However I am intrigued that the entries on [url= http://www.hymnwiki.org/Jesus_Shall_Reign_Where'er_the_Sun]this page[/url] seem to link it with Mormonism. I doubt that that was Isaac Watt's intention.)

ETA I have no idea why the URL function hasn't worked!

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

hosting/

I think what you're looking for is this?

As a general note, when inserting URLs please preview post first - including clicking on the link in preview post to check it works. Our board software doesn't like some characters. If preview post doesn't look good, consider using TinyUrl.com to make an acceptable link. Thanks!

/hosting

Thank you Eutychus. It's the first time the URL button has let me down, but I will try to remember in future.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

But we still do not know what this 'loud amen' at Easter is - the OPer seems to have vanished.

Jesus shall reign.... is an Ascensiontide hymn so that can't be what s/he is getting at.

Posted by the giant cheeseburger (# 10942) on :

quote:
Thank you Eutychus. It's the first time the URL button has let me down, but I will try to remember in future.

There was a space at the start of the URL (before the http: bit) when you entered it in the box, making the code invalid.

Posted by cliffdweller (# 13338) on :

quote:

(However I am intrigued that the entries on this page seem to link it with Mormonism. I doubt that that was Isaac Watt's intention.)

Coincidentally, I was having a conversation with my LDS daughter & SIL just last night about Mormon adaptations of traditional Christian hymnody, including several of Watts'.

[fixed link. It's not the space, it's the apostrophe. I think]

[ 26. December 2013, 06:40: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Posted by Polly Plummer (# 13354) on :

I've always heard the end of "Jesus shall reign" as "The LONG Amen".

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

There is a song called "The Lost Chord" by Arthur Sullivan which was quite popular in Victorian times.

The last words of the second stanza refer to 'a great amen'. I don't know whether this is relevant or not.

Moo

© Ship of Fools 2016