Thread: The Immorality of Profanity Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=026634

Posted by stonespring (# 15530) on :

With Christmas upon us and much time being spent with family, profanity is on my mind more often than usual.

In my experience growing up in the US, kids were taught that saying "bad words" - like s***, f***, d***, a**, and even "hell" when used in a non-theological sense - is a sin or something morally abhorrent that brings a dark mark on one's being and causes harm to all those who hear the profanity.

I actually did not know what the bad words were for a long time - I just knew that I was not supposed to say them. I thought that "shut up" must be bad words because I kept being told not to say them, but I did not know that s*** and f*** were bad words because I kept hearing my mother use them when she was driving. I only found out that they were bad words at about age 7 when I started copying my mother and used those words in school.

In my experience of other cultures it seems that profanity is taboo in them not because of some inherent sinfulness of the words themselves but because they are a sign of low class and a lack of education and refinement. I'm not sure how many other cultures really believe that angels weep and more nails are driven ever-so-painfully into Christ's extremities whenever someone says s***.

Granted, some words, like racial epithets and words that denigrate women, gays, and various other groups of people - are so hard to separate from the harm that they have been used to inflict that there really are very few moral uses, if any, for them in day-to-day conversation, especially among relative strangers.

Other words, like a**hole, are used specifically to express intense antipathy for someone else (unless they are being used in a sarcastic or endaring way, which can be hard to read unless you know someone well). For this reason, they should be avoided in polite conversation. But I can see no reason why the words should be seen as evil in themselves.

As for religious swearing, belief that saying "hell" as an expletive in a moment of anger is an evil thing to do is associated with the power of words to invoke forces of evil (and with fear of casting a curse upon someone by wishing that they be damned - but many times that "hell" is used as an expletive it is not directed at any particular person). The biblical prohibition on "taking God's name in vain" is similar to this, but saying "Oh my God" or "Jesus Christ!" in a moment of shock or frustration was not taught to me at least as being any where near as sinful as saying s*** or f***.

Maybe one could argue that f*** is an inherently bad word because it reduces human lovemaking to an exploitive act for the purpose of "getting off." I guess you could also argue that the emphasis on "thrusting" in the word f*** makes the word essentially about someone sexually dominating someone else and therefore is sexist (although women now say that they f***ed a man when they (the women) were the receptive partner in intercourse). But I find these arguments doubtful and see no reason to argue that f*** is any more sinful than the phrase "have sex with."

And I find to reason at all that any argument can be used to argue that the word s*** is sinful. Feces can spread disease if not handled properly and has a smell that most people almost instinctively find disgusting. (I find that I am writing this ironic given how passionately I have defended anal sex on another forum as something that is not inherently peverse or harmful - but I really do not think these discussions are related at all). So why can't a person yell "s***" when they are upset? Why is it any worse than yelling "shoot" or "darn" or "fudge" (in the case of "shoot," aren't you implying killing someone? Isn't that worse than bringing human excrement to mind?)

I think that the idea that I have noticed in non-Anglophone cultures that profanity is just crass language associated with the lower classes is the correct one. Some words are inherently offensive (as I said above), but all other profanity only has as much power to offend as we allow them. I don't see any reason to punish children for saying s*** or f*** as an isolated expletive in the same way that you would punish them for using the words to verbally attack someone. If a kid says s*** when s/he stubs his/her toe, you explain to the kid (in words the kid can understand) that that word (for no good reason) has societal connotations that can make people angry and therefore should be avoided except in intimate situations with people you know well and trust. You can then reward the kid for avoiding using such language in the future when s/he is frustrated. This seems to be a much better way to raise kids than to bring them up thinking that there is some kind of magical evil to these words. Once kids brought up thinking that swear words are "evil" realize that almost everyone (including their parents) uses them, and some people make a lot of money entertaining people by using them, they will be more likely to doubt other things they were taught about what is right and wrong.

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

A**, that means donkey this side of the Atlantic. Here we say A***.
quote:
Originally posted by stonespring:
So why can't a person yell "s***" when they are upset? Why is it any worse than yelling "shoot" or "darn" or "fudge" (in the case of "shoot," aren't you implying killing someone? Isn't that worse than bringing human excrement to mind?)

Because words have power, and taboo words have more power. Words which cause the greatest offence are the ones which bring the greatest release. Which is why, when you are really frustrated, words like fuck or shit are a better form of expression than, say, fiddlesticks.

Posted by HCH (# 14313) on :

The subject of taboo language is interesting. In general, words that are considered objectionable are considered to be either profane or obscene.

A word (or the use of a word) is profane if it refers inappropriately to something that is considered holy. Thus people may object to referring flippantly to the beard of Jesus or (classically) to "God's blood". This is obviously based on religion.

A word (or its use) is obscene if it refers to something not normally seen or mentioned in public, that is, something usually off-stage. This varies from culture to culture and time to time, but it often includes bodily functions and practices such as sex, drunkeness, defecation and urination. As feces are considered worthless and offensive, people use synonyms for "feces" to refer to whatever they don't like as worthless and offensive. One consequence is that people keep inventing more and more synonyms.

We also find that as languages change, newer terms are given preference simply because they are newer. The older words are not necessarily regarded as evil but simply as old-fashioned.

There are times when even highly respectable people may use "strong language" for emphasis. In one of Jimmy Stewart's movies, "Shenandoah", his character uses the word "teat", and he uses for emphasis and with its correct meaning.

If you are fussy enough about words considered objectionable by contemporary culture, you may find yourself cut off from great literature of the past that uses words quite ordinary at the time of writing.

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

I invite you to read the book Holy Shit by Melissa Mohr. In it she traces profanity in the English language, with a whirlwind tour of ancient Rome. Where profanity used to center around religious oaths or persons (God's thumbs! Jesus Christ!), that has faded (not entirely obviously) to be replaced with bodily functions (shit, fuck, wanker) or parts (cunt, dickhead). This coincided with the rise of the idea of privacy. When it became possible to have your own room to fuck or shit in, the actions became something to hide, and then the words became taboo. Thus, no more Gropecunt Lane.

Fascinating book.

Before we move away from asterisks, why is making people think the word fuck by printing f*** or f*ck worse than actually printing fuck?

Posted by Horseman Bree (# 5290) on :

When the RC church had a stranglehold on the lives of most Quebec French-speakers, various religious words became the "bad" words of choice:
"ostie" (Host) or "Kaw-liss" (Chalice) spring to my mind, but the range was much larger.

Now that Quebec has the lowest church-participation rate in Canada, these words have disappeared from everyday speech, although still recognisable.

Sort of equivalent to "OMG" as said by non-religious people in English-speaking TV-land, a phrase that would have earned mouthwashing with soap in 1950.

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Before we move away from asterisks, why is making people think the word fuck by printing f*** or f*ck worse than actually printing fuck?

Because some people have a visceral reaction to the word itself that they do not have to f***. Because words are not just denotations but also have connotations and emotional freight, and the emotional freight can vary greatly from person to person.

ETA: I tend to be more blunt on the Ship than in other venues because it's part of the culture here. Context is key.

[ 23. December 2013, 19:57: Message edited by: mousethief ]

Shouldn't there be a difference between words said with the intent to verbally attack someone and words said just because you are feeling a rush of pain or the shock of surprise?

I just don't think there is anything inherently morally wrong to saying those words about bodily waste, genitals, and sex that society finds crude. It only becomes wrong when you use them to disparage people.

Avoiding saying s*** in polite conversation is the same as avoiding using contractions like "isn't" in a research paper you write for university (that is, unless the research paper is about the linguistic or literary use of contractions). It is an issue of formality, not morality. I really think we do our children a disservice by making them feel guilty and ashamed for using words that have to do with bodily parts and their functions.

H. Bree, I've heard that "tabernacle" is still a potent nasty in Quebec - is that true in your experience?

quote:
Avoiding saying s*** in polite conversation is the same as avoiding using contractions like "isn't" in a research paper you write for university (that is, unless the research paper is about the linguistic or literary use of contractions). It is an issue of formality, not morality.

Except it isn't. Society decides what's rude and unacceptable, and at the present time those are rude and unacceptable words in certain contexts. I like the thing Lynne Truss says in "Talk to the Hand" -- she figures "fuck" will be robbed of all its power when a children's TV show host says, "Now we're going to make a fucking car park from bog roll tubes." But till that day....

Posted by pydseybare (# 16184) on :

I think it is instructive that words with Latin roots are fairly polite compared to the Anglo-saxon alternatives with the same meaning. The latter sound much coarser than the former.

I'm fairly convinced that the use of profane words is a lot to do with the sound of spoken language, so that in some circumstances they add rhythm and punctuation to speech.

Posted by Sober Preacher's Kid (# 12699) on :

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
H. Bree, I've heard that "tabernacle" is still a potent nasty in Quebec - is that true in your experience?

Yes, it is true. Les Sacrées have lost none of their power, potency or use. Quebeckers may not attend church much but they still swear by it.

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

I've explained to my son (just as pedantic as his mother!) that there are three classes of "bad words," and he's going to get a different reaction (from me, anyway) depending on the class. There's ordinary vulgarity (shit, crap, ass, fuck, etc.) which are basically offensive because they are marked as "low class" (compare "feces," "bottom/fundament/kiester/gluteus maximus", "sleep with"). I don't mind these as long as they are used sparingly (to avoid tedium) and out of earshot of anyone who is going to be troubled or grieved by it, which would be a sin against charity. Then there's obscenity (motherfucker etc.) which is off limits because nobody should have to have those mental images foisted on them unconsenting. Worst of all is blasphemy, and that's the only one I will go ballistic over, because that's misusing the name of God who loves us and that is Just.Not.On. So in my family you can get away with a zillion fucks compared to one Oh my God.*

I'm afraid this viewpoint shocked a few people at his parochial school. [Big Grin] But we ain't there no more.

* He's also not allowed to give nonChristians a hard time about any of this stuff. We try not to do judgemental asshole in my family.

Posted by no prophet (# 15560) on :

A reverse trend seems to be 'bitch'. We freely used this word 40 years ago, to the point I recall in about grade 4 or 5 being told by a teacher that our class was 'bitchy today'. No big deal. Today it seems rather offensive. In those days girls were possibly bitches and boys were possibly bastards. And saying 'bloody hell' was rather bad. We seldom said shit or fuck, possibly when in the bush or talking about the doing the actual activity the words represent.

What's the history of the euphemism "f bomb"?, which is rather new to me.

Posted by Og, King of Bashan (# 9562) on :

quote:
Shouldn't there be a difference between words said with the intent to verbally attack someone and words said just because you are feeling a rush of pain or the shock of surprise?

I think the word "intent" is probably too strong for what happens when most people let out a stream of profanity at another person. I bet it mostly comes from the same place that it does when you feel a rush of pain- temporarily blinding frustration. It is a fairly rare instance where someone actually curses at someone else with malice aforethought.

Posted by Augustine the Aleut (# 1472) on :

Tabernacle is still a pretty strong word in the Outouais, to the point that many people use softer versions-- tabernouche or taberouette. Calice can be made less stronger and jokier with caline ma bine. I suppose it's a bit like fiddlesticks instead of f**k (I use the asterisks in citation, the way I was taught).

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
I've explained to my son (just as pedantic as his mother!) that there are three classes of "bad words," and he's going to get a different reaction (from me, anyway) depending on the class. There's ordinary vulgarity (shit, crap, ass, fuck, etc.) which are basically offensive because they are marked as "low class" (compare "feces," "bottom/fundament/kiester/gluteus maximus", "sleep with"). I don't mind these as long as they are used sparingly (to avoid tedium) and out of earshot of anyone who is going to be troubled or grieved by it, which would be a sin against charity. Then there's obscenity (motherfucker etc.) which is off limits because nobody should have to have those mental images foisted on them unconsenting. Worst of all is blasphemy, and that's the only one I will go ballistic over, because that's misusing the name of God who loves us and that is Just.Not.On. So in my family you can get away with a zillion fucks compared to one Oh my God.*

I'm afraid this viewpoint shocked a few people at his parochial school. [Big Grin] But we ain't there no more.

* He's also not allowed to give nonChristians a hard time about any of this stuff. We try not to do judgemental asshole in my family.

I don't agree completely with your categorization, but I think explaining profanity to kids that way makes a lot more sense than just saying the s word and f word and bad and will be severely punished with no explanation. I really do think that the shame surrounding swear words for sex, body parts, and body functions is tied to shame of one's own body.

Religious profanity is in a separate category because of religious codes of morality, as are epithets that denigrate certain groups of people, because they are obviously wrong.

But for "bad words" about the body and what it does, does anyone know if the idea in the English speaking world that such words are inherently evil and one's own salvation is jeopardized by using them (for those who believe that salvation can be jeopardized by one's actions) - does this idea about "body" profanity exist outside of the English language? Or do other languages just see "body" profanity as crass and a sign of bad manners, but not as inherently evil?

Or is it a Christian or Western thing for body profanity to be evil? Does it exist in other religions? In non-Western cultures?

Posted by Fr Weber (# 13472) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
When the RC church had a stranglehold on the lives of most Quebec French-speakers, various religious words became the "bad" words of choice:
"ostie" (Host) or "Kaw-liss" (Chalice) spring to my mind, but the range was much larger.

Now that Quebec has the lowest church-participation rate in Canada, these words have disappeared from everyday speech, although still recognisable.

Sort of equivalent to "OMG" as said by non-religious people in English-speaking TV-land, a phrase that would have earned mouthwashing with soap in 1950.

Hostie de calice de merde!

And if you want to call somebody a son of a bitch in Quebec, you refer to him as "mon sacrement".

Anyway, blasphemy (which includes taking God's name/s in vain) is a sin. Speaking profanely is not, unless you are scandalizing your hearers on purpose or through carelessness. Simple as that.

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

I think that idea (body profanity = evil) is a confusion of the mind, and comes from inadequate catechesis. It's not a Christian thing, it's a cultural thing. In Vietnam the worst insults have to do with education (or lack thereof). There is a term "muc yai" (I'm spelling it semi-phonetically) that is as strong or stronger than "mother fucker" in English--it can get you into a brawl in no time flat--but it translates literally as "no education." We would say "badly brought up."

There are plenty of Christianized cultures that did/do not equate body profanity with sin. Just read Luther and bear in mind that he was not unusual for his time.

Posted by The5thMary (# 12953) on :

It's weird. I have a mouth like a sailor, at times and my "favorite" "bad" word is fuck. I say it quite a lot. However, I can clean up my mouth when I'm in company that wouldn't necessarily appreciate me dropping a few f bombs and other things. Is it most people's understanding that saying "Jesus Christ!" or "Goddammit!" as epithets is a huge sin? Because I say those, too and I always feel really badly about it. I have found myself apologizing to God when I say those and I would never say them in "polite" society... anyway, I have no problem with saying fuck or shite or bastard but I do have a real problem with "bitch" because it seems that some men use that term to refer to any woman who stand up for herself or offers a strong opinion... I've said the popular "be-atch" but one of my sisters pointed out that I'm still saying bitch... [Frown]

Posted by Anglican_Brat (# 12349) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:

Hostie de calice de merde!

And if you want to call somebody a son of a bitch in Quebec, you refer to him as "mon sacrement".

Anyway, blasphemy (which includes taking God's name/s in vain) is a sin. Speaking profanely is not, unless you are scandalizing your hearers on purpose or through carelessness. Simple as that.

Is there a difference between blasphemy and sacrilege?

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

My infant school teacher washed my mouth out with carbolic soap and water for saying 'damn'. That was in 1956.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

quote:
Because words have power, and taboo words have more power. Words which cause the greatest offence are the ones which bring the greatest release. Which is why, when you are really frustrated, words like fuck or shit are a better form of expression than, say, fiddlesticks.

This is it.

Swearing is very useful.

And as such, in my view, it should only be used sparingly and when really needed. In extreme circumstances when that release of emotion in swearing is all that can be done. Constant use of any word means it loses all its power.

So I rarely swear - and never in print. I see no need whatever to type profanities.

But when I do swear boy, do folks sit up and take notice. They know that I'm really upset as it happens so rarely.

Posted by anteater (# 11435) on :

I think the issue of consideration for others also comes into play, since the use of bad language in front of, or even directed to, others can be a sort of power play.

I used to work with a guy who was the most senior IT consultant at my company, and was well known for his swearing, in front of everybody. I did wonder why he would do this, and concluded it was probably a sort of power play. Daring people to rebuke him, and risking being thought of as prissy.

So I would say that the issue depends on the relationship. Between people for whom "fuck" means about as much as "Err", I can't see any harm done. But it can be used to demean people, especially by people in authority, who like to take the attitude that I can say what I fucking well want, and what are you going to do about it?

[ 24. December 2013, 11:47: Message edited by: anteater ]

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

Stephen Fry's TV series on language demonstrated the power of taboo words by showing that you can tolerate more pain if you're 'allowed' to swear in reaction to it.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:
Is it most people's understanding that saying "Jesus Christ!" or "Goddammit!" as epithets is a huge sin?

ISTM, it is ludicrous to think an all-powerful, all loving being gets his knickers in a twist over this.
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Stephen Fry's TV series on language demonstrated the power of taboo words by showing that you can tolerate more pain if you're 'allowed' to swear in reaction to it.

Mythbusters did this as well. Though their experiment leaves a bit to be desired. Hard to separate out the power of suggestion.

Posted by Olaf (# 11804) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:

This is it.

Swearing is very useful.

And as such, in my view, it should only be used sparingly and when really needed. In extreme circumstances when that release of emotion in swearing is all that can be done. Constant use of any word means it loses all its power.

So I rarely swear - and never in print. I see no need whatever to type profanities.

But when I do swear boy, do folks sit up and take notice. They know that I'm really upset as it happens so rarely.

Yes, me too. I was raised with the concept of "bad words," or more formally, "profanity." These were words that a Good Little Christian ought not say. I can't say that I disagree, and I probably would pass this down to another generation.

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Is it most people's understanding that saying "Jesus Christ!" or "Goddammit!" as epithets is a huge sin?

ISTM, it is ludicrous to think an all-powerful, all loving being gets his knickers in a twist over this.
I would add the caveat that if you are using these words to verbally attack somebody, then it is a sin, although the sin is the verbal attack; it would be the same sin if you used "polite" words. Which is one thing that really gets my goat about people who are (or pretend to be) prissy about naughty words. They can often be the same people that are ripping others to shreds, but using drawing-room vocabulary. The hypocrisy can be choking.

So if you stub your toe in the woods and say s### or f### and no one is there to hear it, is it a sin?

Now substitute all the other "bad words" in - are there any words that someone could say in this situation that would be sinful to say, even if no one is there to hear it?

If you don't believe in sin, substitute "immoral" for "sinful."

Posted by SvitlanaV2 (# 16967) on :

quote:
quote:
quote:

I would add the caveat that if you are using these words to verbally attack somebody, then it is a sin, although the sin is the verbal attack; it would be the same sin if you used "polite" words. Which is one thing that really gets my goat about people who are (or pretend to be) prissy about naughty words. They can often be the same people that are ripping others to shreds, but using drawing-room vocabulary. The hypocrisy can be choking.
I do think it's sad to hear people use these words like this when they never use them to praise God or to contemplate his greatness. Only the other night I heard a comedian use 'Jesus Christ' on TV, and then say at another point that he didn't believe in Jesus.

On the whole, I don't think there's any point in getting worked up about swearing in the general culture, but I dislike it among practising Christians. Unless they're seriously upset about something important it just sounds like posturing, as though they're just trying to reassure their listeners that Christians are 'normal' like everyone else.

Maybe it's a class thing as well. Well-educated middle class Christians can probably get away with swearing because their respectability is assured, but a working class Christian or someone from an ethnic minority probably wouldn't benefit from speaking that way.

[ 29. December 2013, 22:01: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Posted by Justinian (# 5357) on :

"If we started swearing all the time what would we have left for special occasions?" - Flanders and Swann

Seriously, to me, it's as simple as that. I don't think that fuck is inherently obscene. But I treat it as such because it provides a catharsis simply from the taboo.

Posted by Galloping Granny (# 13814) on :

Words go up and words go down...
I remember a very small boy, many years ago, on the beach making a sandcastle, patting it rhythmically with his spade and singing 'Bugger bugger bugger..." because he liked the sound of it. Now I would never have used the word then. But since a brilliant TV ad a few years back had even the dog muttering "bugger!" when he landed in the mud, it's become a very useful stress-relieving word in our household and probably in many others.

On the other hand, a friend reading a story to her grandchildren in which there was a character called Dick, had a very embarrassed reaction from her grandson: "We're not allowed to say that word at our school."

/Tangent
Can't think of any now, but I know I encountered words in the classroom that elicited sniggers because they'd developed slang connotations. Not an offensive word, but my Dad taking a science class in Elvis's day couldn't understand why the class shrieked with laughter when he said "pelvis".
/End tangent

GG

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

Personally, I draw a distinction between profanity and cursing. To curse someone, to wish them ill in speech, may happen in anger or as a result of settled malevolence. I rate settled malevolence as a particularly nasty form of immorality and a lot more serious than swearing. You don't have to use swear words to express it either.

Posted by Doc Tor (# 9748) on :

Yes. I'd put an ocean between vulgarity (those beloved Anglo-Saxon words), which I do use - mostly sparingly - and blasphemy, which I don't, ever.

I remember the first time I swore in front of the Girl, having just managed to drop, in a moment of exhausted fumbling, her lovingly reheated spoo into the cat's bowl.

Fortunately, she misheard me and spent the rest of the day shouting "big dog's bottoms!" [Hot and Hormonal]

Posted by bib (# 13074) on :

I think we all (me included) use some profane language just because we are all human, but there are many people who swear to excess mostly due to habit and laziness. I always find it fascinating to hear a group of men in full flight swearing profusely who are able to cease instantly once Granny comes into the room.

I think, aside from the remnants of Puritanism in our culture, one reason that profanity is still seen as inherently "evil" in the US is that it remains illegal on broadcast television and radio and is forbidden (though perhaps not by law?) on basic cable.

Blasphemy, sacrilege, and taking the Lord's name in vain.
These phrases are being tossed around, but what do you mean by them?

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

I used to ask, when children were OMG-ing, in full, whether they really wanted God to stop whatever he was doing and notice what had just happened (thinking as I did so that my theology was so bad...)
And use "fishcakes!" when expletives were necessary. It has such satisfying consonantal sounds. Better, I think, than fiddlesticks - which is suspect, anyway. (As in "Cockadoodle do, my dame has lost her shoe, my master's lost his fiddling stick and doesn't know what to do.")

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:

Anyone who has hit their thumb with a hammer knows that "Jesus Christ!" acts faster than Anadin. You might still need a trip to A&E and an X-ray, but you'll feel better for it, and while He doesn't love it I'm pretty sure Our Saviour has bigger fish to fry.

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

Anyone who has hit their thumb with a hammer knows that "Jesus Christ!" acts faster than Anadin.

But why? Is it just the sound of the words?

Maybe we need to invent a new phrase that doesn't force atheists and respectable Anglicans and Catholics alike to address a deity when he's rather far from their thoughts.

How about 'Cheesus Fist!' or 'Jingus Twist!' Something with along those lines....

[ 30. December 2013, 18:16: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

quote:
It's weird. I have a mouth like a sailor, at times and my "favorite" "bad" word is fuck. [Frown]

Why do sailors get the Swearimg Gold Star? I have a sailboat and I mostly say scurvey rats, avast, land lubbers and boom coming over. Any who use language the captain don't approve, they are flogged at grating. And somw them are into that as well.

Posted by barrea (# 3211) on :

The bible tells us not to use bad words, not to let filthy language come out of our mouth, Ephesians 5:4, Surely that should be enough to stop Christians from swearing.
If we are new creatures in Christ Then we should be different to the World, We don't have to swear it is a choice.

quote:
Originally posted by barrea:
The bible tells us not to use bad words, not to let filthy language come out of our mouth, Ephesians 5:4, Surely that should be enough to stop Christians from swearing.
If we are new creatures in Christ Then we should be different to the World, We don't have to swear it is a choice.

Why is s### a more filthy word than feces? Why is f*** a more filthy word than "to have sex?"

Silly talk and jesting should not come out of our mouths either if you take Ephesians 5:4 at face value. Should we all become humourless just because someone wants to translate αἰσχρότης as meaning rude words (it is better translated as filthiness). What that meant to the original audience is not necessarily what you are saying. Don't forget σκύβαλα in Philippians 3:8 is coarse Greek.

Cross posted with stonespring.

[ 30. December 2013, 20:00: Message edited by: balaam ]

quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

Anyone who has hit their thumb with a hammer knows that "Jesus Christ!" acts faster than Anadin.

But why? Is it just the sound of the words?

Maybe we need to invent a new phrase that doesn't force atheists and respectable Anglicans and Catholics alike to address a deity when he's rather far from their thoughts.

How about 'Cheesus Fist!' or 'Jingus Twist!' Something with along those lines....

Is it true that Jews in the US often say "Jesus" or "Geez" as an exclamation? I think people just pick it up from their families, but it might have become popular because it is a. not as socially frowned upon as using stronger language like s*** or f*** and b. for Jews, it is not, strictly speaking, using the name of God in vain. I may be totally wrong in guessing this but it seems to make sense. There is no intent to insult Christians or the Christian understanding of God. As a Christian, I am not offended by it, but you have to try really hard to offend me. (Racist epithets work every time, though.)

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

quote:
Why is s### a more filthy word than feces? Why is f*** a more filthy word than "to have sex?"

At one time, they weren't bad words at all, they were just ordinary everyday words. That changed at the time of the Norman Conquest. "Shit" and "excrement" are exactly the same thing. It's just that "excrement" was French and considered acceptable, whereas "shit" was Saxon and as such came to be regarded as vulgar.

quote:
]Is it true that Jews in the US often say "Jesus" or "Geez" as an exclamation? I think people just pick it up from their families, but it might have become popular because it is a. not as socially frowned upon as using stronger language like s*** or f*** and b. for Jews, it is not, strictly speaking, using the name of God in vain. I may be totally wrong in guessing this but it seems to make sense. There is no intent to insult Christians or the Christian understanding of God. As a Christian, I am not offended by it, but you have to try really hard to offend me. (Racist epithets work every time, though.)

There's not much point in getting offended by gratuitous references to God. They're too deeply imbedded in the culture. But the fact that no offence is meant is no compensation - all that means is that the individual concerned doesn't care about his or her listeners. (Perhaps they don't care too much about God either, but he seems rather incidental to the discussion....)

To me, the most distasteful example of this kind of thing is 'OM*G!' Fortunately, I don't come across it too often, and it mostly exists online, not in real life. But everyone's free to speak or write as they wish.

Can it not be that saying something like "my fucking God" and "Jesus Shit Christ" are reasonable ways of praying? Or do you spare "Mr Damn" (that'd be God's last name) your more anguished moments and hesitate to pray then. My last concentrated time of prayer like that, I asked "fucking God" to kill me, a prayer unanswered. Thankfully rarely those prayers have been necessitated.

Thus I suspect some profanity involving religious terms have started out aa prayers, or in the mouths of sailors other than me.

I would have thought Jesus might have sworn as he was crucified. He better have if he is human. Peter should have let out a blue streak after the cock crowed. Judas, I suppose he is supposed to be bad so okay for him?

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Can it not be that saying something like "my fucking God" and "Jesus Shit Christ" are reasonable ways of praying? Or do you spare "Mr Damn" (that'd be God's last name) your more anguished moments and hesitate to pray then. My last concentrated time of prayer like that, I asked "fucking God" to kill me, a prayer unanswered. Thankfully rarely those prayers have been necessitated.

Thus I suspect some profanity involving religious terms have started out aa prayers, or in the mouths of sailors other than me.

I would have thought Jesus might have sworn as he was crucified. He better have if he is human. Peter should have let out a blue streak after the cock crowed. Judas, I suppose he is supposed to be bad so okay for him?

I have always thought that when I say, "Oh my God," out of shock, I am in a way invoking God's protection. When I say it in pain, I am asking Him for relief. I guess I am guilty of saying it sarcastically, though. I don't think God minds that much. "God" isn't His real name, anyway. Isn't it worse to use the Holy Name of Jesus (or the ineffable Tetragrammaton with vowels) in vain than to use a word, "God," that is just calling God what He is instead of using His name?

no prophet

We might swear at God in our anger and distress, I suppose. But in most cases, people are just swearing, and God's name gets slipped in there for no particular reason whatsoever. That's how it seems to me.

Some religious publisher ought to commission a book about the role of swearing in prayer - or about swearing as prayer. A bunch of archbishops etc. could contribute their lofty thoughts on the matter and help the rest of us out!

stonespring

So if 'God' isn't his name, which name do you use when you pray?

[ 30. December 2013, 23:33: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

quote:
quote:
quote:

Intent is the whole of the thing, IMO.

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

quote:
Intent is the whole of the thing, IMO.

Exactly so. Malevolent intent is the real cursing, whatever words are said. And often they are said "behind the back".

Is it worse to tell God to fuck off directly, or is it worse to tell someone else to, more or less "God off"?

Or perhaps worse to YHWH off?

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Is it worse to tell God to fuck off directly, or is it worse to tell someone else to, more or less "God off"?

Or perhaps worse to YHWH off?

Of course it is worse to curse, swear at, etc. another person.

Well, if you don't believe God exists that question's a no-brainer, isn't it?!

Some people don't really mind being sworn at or cursed. It's just part of their culture to call their friends all sorts of names and to get the same in return. It could be that God is similar to that, but it's not something that anyone's tried to convince me off before....

quote:
Well, if you don't believe God exists that question's a no-brainer, isn't it?!

Some people don't really mind being sworn at or cursed. It's just part of their culture to call their friends all sorts of names and to get the same in return. It could be that God is similar to that, but it's not something that anyone's tried to convince me off before....

I tend not to argue Christian themes with other than Christian logic. I mean, what's the point?
I do not think it is consistent to think an all powerful, all loving being gets twisted when someone speaks naughty to/about him.

The question then is, does he give a toss if we talk nicely to him?

If only the Bible had some fruity examples! All we have is King David's self-pity, and Job's refusal to 'curse God and die'. That doesn't help.

quote:
no prophet

We might swear at God in our anger and distress, I suppose. But in most cases, people are just swearing, and God's name gets slipped in there for no particular reason whatsoever. That's how it seems to me.

Some religious publisher ought to commission a book about the role of swearing in prayer - or about swearing as prayer. A bunch of archbishops etc. could contribute their lofty thoughts on the matter and help the rest of us out!

stonespring

So if 'God' isn't his name, which name do you use when you pray?

Calling God "God" is just like calling my mother "Mom." It's not the name of the person I am talking to, it is a word for that person's relationship to me. As for what God's name is, that is something that Jews and Muslims tend to be much better at answering than Christians. Christians do have Jesus though as the name at which every knee shall bend, so that name should be treated with some respect, I think. I'm not so sure that "God" is in the same category.

When I pray, I usually say "God our Father." It's intimate but doesn't use God's name, whatever that is. I don't often pray to Jesus or the Holy Spirit - maybe I should start doing that, though. I don't think it's wrong in any way to address Christ using His personal name. As a Catholic, I often pray to Mary, too, using her name and occasionally to one or other Saints.

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

quote:

If I can answer that one from working in an engineering company in Quebec, I'd say it's fairly mild in the post-RC environment. (It usually comes out as tabarnac'). You probably wouldn't say it in front of your mother or your children, but it's heard all the time in the engineering office and workshops. It's nice because it rolls off the tongue with feeling, like all the best polysyllabic curses. There are more socially acceptable versions, like 'tabarnouche', that I've used a lot, and the strange sounding 'tabarwhit' that are supposed to be less religious.

I swear quite a bit at my work, and it usually deserves it. I dislike hearing people swear by God - I think they should take the responsibility on themselves. Swearing at God is different, as I am pretty sure he/she can take the anguish that it conveys better than humans can, and I am also pretty sure that the response is compassion; not retribution.

Joyeux Hogmanay to you all.

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

I did once say "O MY GOD!" in front of school children, but I don't think it was actually swearing.
I was driving a group of children to a chess match, and doing 50 mph on a good road where I was entitled to do it, when a lorry loaded with some tons of scrap iron pulled out of a road to the right and turned up hill in front of us with almost zero acceleration. I did the most emergency emergency stop I have ever done - asbestos powder from the brake pads was smoking up behind us - and I remember thinking with relief that I wouldn't be the one to have to tell their parents.
Clearly we stopped in time, at which point I said it. Then I felt guilty about doing so and explained to the lads that it was the sort of occasion that it should be reserved for, as it was a sort of prayer in the circumstances.
Then I told them to smile sweetly out of the window and wave as we passed the driver of the lorry so he knew what he had nearly done.
(Afterword - that junction now has the right turn the lorry did forbidden.)

[ 01. January 2014, 13:59: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Posted by Fr Weber (# 13472) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
Is there a difference between blasphemy and sacrilege?

Yes. Blasphemy is verbal; sacrilege is a physical action. Saying "God damn it" when you trip over something in the living room, or writing a short story about Jesus and his mother having sex, would be blasphemous. Peeing in a chalice, spitting on a cross, or trampling consecrated Hosts would be sacrilege.

© Ship of Fools 2016