Thread: Bethlehem unwrapped Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=026672

Posted by Merchant Trader (# 9007) on :

I am slightly surprised that I can't see a discussion on the ship as this was highly controversial. It was reviewed in some papers and made it to Radio 4 on Sunday after the panel discussion on Saturday.

My view is that was a courageous thing for the church to host and makes me want to find out more about St James, Piccadilly. Certianly added to my understanding about what is happening in Israel and palestine.

Posted by *Leon* (# 3377) on :

A couple of links:
It was fantastic

Absolute Moral Squalor was on display

I'm afraid I missed it all. I think I'd have thought it was fantastic.

Posted by Gildas (# 525) on :

I thought that it was a bit precious. Then I saw that Douglas Murray was against it and filed it under "not all bad, then".

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

I didn't know about this and I no longer live in London. However it does sound to have been a good idea.

Apart from Murray's article (and he is entitled to his opinion, however much I disagree with him), at least this event does not seem to have attracted the vitriol which occurred at another Central London church four years ago.

[ 07. January 2014, 11:07: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

S. James has long been innovating.

It's good that people are confronted with the reality of the 'little town of Bethlehem' so that Christmas does not turn into escapism. The incarnation is about God in the midst of real life, not some fairy tale world.

The Bible lands Society did cribs with the wall across and i used their Christmas cards one year which also featured the wall.

Posted by Zach82 (# 3208) on :

"Enough with all that Incarnation and the goodwill of God towards humankind claptrap—let's make Christmas about something important—like the rector's pet political causes!"

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

quote:
Zach82: "Enough with all that Incarnation and the goodwill of God towards humankind claptrap—let's make Christmas about something important—like the rector's pet political causes!"
You believe there is no relationship at all between a wall separating people from their families, land, water wells etc. and Incarnation and the goodwill of God towards humankind?

Posted by Horseman Bree (# 5290) on :

Clearly the present State of Israel has been charged with bringing back all the OT proscriptions about Those Who Are In and Those Who Are Out. This allows any form of nastiness to be done because it is mandated in Torah, and those who do not have Torah can go suck eggs (or whatever)

They are not mandated to portray a God of Love when it comes to the land which you occupy which should be Our Land. That wimpiness can be left to the Christians, who are steadily being driven out of the Holy Land.

Anyone who does not agree with this is wholly corrupt and is therefore an enemy of the State.

That is all there is to it. No other opinion can even be heard.

I realise that, by saying the above, I am an unutterable threat to the whole of Israel, but, meh, that's what happens when people happen not to read their Holy Book the way they do.

For a more informed opinion, please watch the video by Nina Paley

I can no longer stand that particular song, now that I have achieved enlightenment on this topic.

quote:
Originally posted by leo:

It's good that people are confronted with the reality of the 'little town of Bethlehem' so that Christmas does not turn into escapism. The incarnation is about God in the midst of real life, not some fairy tale world.

The burden of the lyrics of 'O Little Town of Bethlehem' are about God in the midst of real life, if one bothers to pay them some attention.

This is what I mean by the whole thing being a bit precious. You have a story about a young couple forced to move to another town because of the needs of the imperial regime to tax the region, the young woman is forced to give birth in a stable, because there is no room at the inn and then the three of them have to skip town because King Herod is having one of his characteristic fits of paranoia and wants the children of Bethlehem slaughtered.

Now if you want to argue that the story is Midrash or has improved in the telling knock yourself out. But people who think that the Christmas story essentially glosses over the bad shit that goes down in the world and that, unless progressive clergy people point us to the iniquity of the "separation barrier" or Islamic persecution of Christians in the Middle East (which is not to say that we ought not to object to such things), or whatever, we will all be inured to the possibility of exploitation and oppression in the world are failing to read for comprehension.

Come to church at Christmas and you will hear the story of an oppressive Empire, bent on screwing every shekel it could out of its subjects and a dying paranoiac intent on slaughtering his every rival, real or imagined and in the midst of this the voice of God, heard as the cry of a new born child in the dark. You can adore the child in the manger or you can dismiss the whole thing as nonsense but, unless you have not been paying attention, you cannot really say: "Oh, but it presents us with such an escapist fairy tale!"

quote:
Originally posted by Gildas:
Come to church at Christmas and you will hear the story of an oppressive Empire, bent on screwing every shekel it could out of its subjects and a dying paranoiac intent on slaughtering his every rival, real or imagined and in the midst of this the voice of God, heard as the cry of a new born child in the dark.

If you're lucky, you will. But not necessarily.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
"Enough with all that Incarnation and the goodwill of God towards humankind claptrap—let's make Christmas about something important—like the rector's pet political causes!"

Well, God's causes if the bible is to be believed and which Gildas has spelt out in admirable detail.

A lecture about the political situation in Israel does not become a sermon on the Gospel simply with the mention of the city of Bethlehem. The Roman Empire's occupation of Palestine cannot be conflated with Israel's oppression of Palestinians, and the Gospel writers didn't insert the Bethlehem detail as a commentary on an evil empire.

There is also, of course, this pompous rector's horror that people would dare have a good time and go to church to hear the nativity story without thinking about his pet political causes. How dare they! [Roll Eyes]

quote:
Zach82: The Roman Empire's occupation of Palestine cannot be conflated with Israel's oppression of Palestinians
Nope, no similarity here at all.

quote:
Zach82: and the Gospel writers didn't insert the Bethlehem detail as a commentary on an evil empire.
The fact that it happened under Roman Empire is entirely circumstancial.

[Roll Eyes]

If you think the text sustains the political commentary angle, then be my guest and argue it, LeRoc. Seems to me the Gospel writers are pretty explicit about their reasoning—they want to fulfill prophecy and connect Jesus to David.

quote:
Zach82: If you think the text sustains the political commentary angle, then be my guest and argue it, LeRoc. Seems to me the Gospel writers are pretty explicit about their reasoning—they want to fulfill prophecy and connect Jesus to David.
Which happened to a simple woman in a small country ruled by a wicked king and occupied by an evil empire. As Gildas said here, you'll hear this in countless sermons every Christmas. As a matter of fact, I've never been to a Christmas service where this wasn't told, and I've been to the whole range of churches. I probably could point to tons of Christmas sermons online that say this, but I can't be bothered.

Then yes, from the reasoning you have given here the placement in the Roman Empire is entirely circumstantial.
quote:
I can't be bothered.
Well, I won't be bothered to substantiate your opinions for you either.

[ 08. January 2014, 17:03: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

quote:
Zach82: Then yes, from the reasoning you have given here the placement in the Roman Empire is entirely circumstantial.
Sometimes I'm amazed by how differently you read the Bible from me. We've already discussed this before in our fights over the Parable of the Good Samaritan.

Some of my interpretations of Bible texts can be rather extreme, I am influenced by Liberation Theology after all.

But seeing a commentary on an evil empire within the Christmas story? That's utterly mainstream.

Your profile says you're Episcopal. Let me give you last year's Christmas sermon by the Archbishop of Canterbury. He speaks about how innocent people suffer when societies try to grasp power. He talks about injustices in Iraq, South Sudan, Israel and Palestine... How dare he impose his political pet themes on the Christmas story!

[ 08. January 2014, 17:14: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

Are you going to crack your Bible and argue from the text or not?

quote:
Zach82: Are you going to crack your Bible and argue from the text or not?
I'm sorry, I'm not really in the costume of using Bible texts to 'prove' things, that's not how I read the Bible.

But it's all over the Christmas story: Mary couldn't have her baby in Nazareth but had to travel pregnant to Bethlehem because of a decree of the Emperor. They had to flee to Egypt because a king murdered a whole lot of children to get to theirs.

Vulnerability in the face of evil power is a major theme in the story, I can't see how you could miss it. Of course, you can come up with an alternative interpretation where these things don't matter, but it would be just that: an alternative interpretation.

[ 08. January 2014, 18:04: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

quote:
There is also, of course, this pompous rector's horror that people would dare have a good time and go to church to hear the nativity story without thinking about his pet political causes.

Lucy Winkett is a funny name for a man: said Rector is a She!

quote:
I'm sorry, I'm not really in the costume of using Bible texts to 'prove' things, that's not how I read the Bible.
But you can't simply discuss what the Bible says?
quote:
But it's all over the Christmas story: Mary couldn't have her baby in Nazareth but had to travel pregnant to Bethlehem because of a decree of the Emperor. They had to flee to Egypt because a king murdered a whole lot of children to get to theirs.
Matthew simply mentions that Jesus was born in Bethlehem with no mention of the Empire whatsoever. Luke mentions this census, but says nothing of the difficulties this places on Mary.

Sorry, your views are not "all over the Christmas story."
quote:
Vulnerability in the face of evil power is a major theme in the story, I can't see how you could miss it. Of course, you can come up with an alternative interpretation where these things don't matter, but it would be just that: an alternative interpretation.
This is sheer silliness. Some interpretations are more sustained by the text than others.

quote:
Zach82: Matthew simply mentions that Jesus was born in Bethlehem with no mention of the Empire whatsoever. Luke mentions this census, but says nothing of the difficulties this places on Mary.
Yes, there are differences between the Gospels. Duh. In my church we usually read Luke. And what about King Herod killing the children?

quote:
Zach82: This is sheer silliness. Some interpretations are more sustained by the text than others.
You know what? This is the third or fourth time that I had to defend a completely accepted, mainstream interpretation of a Bible story against your outlandish versions, where you put the burden of proof on me. I'm not going to do it anymore.

quote:
Yes, there are differences between the Gospels. Duh.
Actually, they are both alike in not drawing out this evil empire line of yours.
quote:
In my church we usually read Luke.
Who doesn't, I repeat, breathe a word of the injustice done to Mary in the census.
quote:
And what about King Herod killing the children?
What about it? We're talking about the placement of the story in Bethlehem, which is the whole pretense of this protest. Even then, the presence of a wicked king does not make the entire Christmas story about protesting unjust governments.
quote:
You know what? This is the third or fourth time that I had to defend a completely accepted, mainstream interpretation of a Bible story against your outlandish versions, where you put the burden of proof on me. I'm not going to do it anymore.
I haven't offered an outlandish interpretation, so do come off it. If you believe your assertions are above critical examination, you are free to ignore my posts. But really a blog would be a better venue for such discourse. There you can be completely safe from ever being questioned.

An additional reminder—you initiated this argument, LeRoc.

[ 08. January 2014, 18:40: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

quote:
Zach82: Who doesn't, I repeat, breathe a word of the injustice done to Mary in the census.
Mary travelled all the way to Bethlehem, pregnant, to have her baby in a stable, away from her family, just for fun.

quote:
Zach82: What about it? We're talking about the placement of the story in Bethlehem, which is the whole pretense of this protest.
Herod killed the children of Bethlehem. An evil power acted against the vulnerable in Bethlehem.

quote:
Zach82: If you believe your assertions are above critical examination, you are free to ignore my posts. But really a blog would be a better venue for such discourse. There you can be completely safe from ever being questioned.
No. You prove to me that your interpretation of the story is right for a time.

quote:
Zach82: An additional reminder—you initiated this argument, LeRoc.
You did. Here.

[ 08. January 2014, 18:43: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

Posted by Gwai (# 11076) on :

Boys, let's try to keep it civil, while you stay in Purg.

[ 08. January 2014, 18:54: Message edited by: Gwai ]

quote:
Mary travelled all the way to Bethlehem, pregnant, to have her baby in a stable, away from her family, just for fun.
This is simple literary criticism. If Luke decides not to mention Mary's difficulties getting to Bethlehem, one assumes he isn't trying to emphasize that.
quote:
Herod killed the children of Bethlehem. An evil power acted against the vulnerable in Bethlehem.
Seems to me that Herod was specifically trying to attack Jesus. The attack on the vulnerable by an evil power is simply a part of the wider story of the battle between God and evil. The presence of oppression is conceded. It's just rather much to make the whole story about that.
quote:
No. You prove to me that your interpretation of the story is right for a time.
What do I have to prove, exactly? Are you under the mistaken assumption that if I can't offer a more compelling interpretation, then your interpretation must be right?
quote:
You did. Here.
You didn't have to engage me. I actually ignored you the first time your tried engaging me because I already had a good idea of how another argument between us would go.

[ 08. January 2014, 18:57: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

quote:
Zach82: This is simple literary criticism. If Luke decides not to mention Mary' difficulties getting to Bethlehem, one assumes he isn't trying to emphasize that.
Or one assumes that the readers will know that having a baby in circumstances like these that are imposed on you against your will, is difficult.

quote:
Zach82: Seems to me that Herod was specifically trying to attack Jesus.
Who was a vulnerable child.

quote:
Zach82: The attack on the vulnerable by an evil power is simply a part of the wider story of the battle between God and evil.
As is the wall in Bethlehem.

quote:
Zach82: The presence of oppression is conceded. It's just rather much to make the whole story about that.
Thank you. I'm not making the whole story about it. Neither, I think, is Rev. Lucy Winkett.

quote:
Zach82: What do I have to prove, exactly?
That the Christmas story is only about the fulfilling of the prophecies and connecting Jesus to David, and has nothing to do with vulnerability in the face of an evil power. I'm waiting.

I never once said what the text was "only" about, LeRoc. I won't be bothered to defend the points you have only imagined, thank you.

The comment on Mary's difficulties getting to Bethlehem is simple literary criticism. Luke doesn't mention Mary's difficulties getting to Bethlehem, so it shouldn't be taken as an important issue for him. Really that principle is so basic there is no point in talking about the Bible at all if you can't accept it.

This is much the same problem with the Herod connection. The slaughter of the innocents does not play out as a battle between the oppressed and the oppressor, but if good against evil. True to that theme, the main characters simply flee the antagonist. The presence of the motif is conceded, but you had previously been arguing that your theology is "all over" the Christmas story.

Posted by Dafyd (# 5549) on :

quote:
quote:
This is simple literary criticism. If Luke decides not to mention Mary's difficulties getting to Bethlehem, one assumes he isn't trying to emphasize that.
Just as if he decides not to mention that a stable is an unsuitable place to have a child, he isn't trying to emphasize that. Likewise, if he doesn't spell out that a stable is an odd place for a king to be born one assumes he isn't trying to emphasise that.

quote:
quote:
Seems to me that Herod was specifically trying to attack Jesus. The attack on the vulnerable by an evil power is simply a part of the wider story of the battle between God and evil. The presence of oppression is conceded. It's just rather much to make the whole story about that.
If Matthew and Luke don't say that the attack on the vulnerable is part of the wider story of the battle between God and evil one assumes that it's because they decided not to emphasise that.

Biblical narrative is reticient in spelling things out. You can't argue that something is not a thematic concern of the story simply because the teller doesn't state explicitly that it is.

I'm inclined to think that when Luke has Mary singing 'he has brought down the powerful from their thrones, and lifted up the lowly' and goes on to talk about powerful people of the sort that sit on thrones, that might be enough to establish the conflict between the powerful and the lowly as a thematic concern.

Misapplication of the principle. The question is "Why is Luke employing this detail?" He could have any number of reasons for adding this detail about the census, but if the text is supposed to be about the hardship the poor in an evil empire, one would expect that to be sustained by the text.

But, so far as I can see, it isn't. LeRoc has not been forthcoming with other uses of this theme in the Gospel of Luke. The detail about the slaughter of the innocents is from Matthew, who doesn't mention the census or why Mary is in Bethlehem.

[ 08. January 2014, 19:56: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

quote:
Zach82: I never once said what the text was "only" about, LeRoc.
You seem to be pretty adamant about it here.

But yes. The Christmas story (the combined one in all the three synoptic Gospels) is about fulfilling the prophesies and connecting Jesus to David. It is also about God becoming human, not as an earthly King, but in very humble circumstances. And it's a story about vulnerable people suffering from evil powers, placed in the city of Bethlehem. And above all, it's a story that tells us that in the midst of all of this, even if we sometimes don't see it, God's plan of love will win out in the end.

I don't see how you can have a problem with that. It may not be your interpretation of the story, but putting it away as 'following political pet themes' when someone does follow it and applies it to a present-day situation which happens to take place in the same city of Bethlehem and which shares some similarities, seems very feeble to me.

I believe —and maybe it's a belief against all odds— that God's plan of love will win in the end, also in the very difficult situation in present-day Bethlehem. What's wrong about saying that?

[ 08. January 2014, 20:34: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

quote:
Misapplication of the principle. The question is "Why is Luke employing this detail?" He could have any number of reasons for adding this detail about the census, but if the text is supposed to be about the hardship the poor in an evil empire, one would expect that to be sustained by the text.
Yeah. It's not like at any point in Luke's nativity story he mentions anything about the hungry being filled with good things or the rich being sent empty away.

I suppose you can't deduce from the text of the novels of Thomas Harris that Dr. Lecter M.D. isn't a vegetarian either?

Posted by Dafyd (# 5549) on :

quote:

That's not basic literary criticism, though. That's adopting a strong intentionalist stance. Basic literary criticism would at least acknowledge that at least weak anti-intentionalism can be held with respect to all texts: the position that a text can reasonably be interpreted to have, in addition to meanings that the author intended, meanings beyond what the author intended. Traditional biblical hermeneutics has tended to be weakly anti-intentionalist in just that way - the text, when read under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, may not contradict the intentions of the human author but nevertheless it says far more than the human author intended or could have intended.

quote:
But, so far as I can see, it isn't. LeRoc has not been forthcoming with other uses of this theme in the Gospel of Luke. The detail about the slaughter of the innocents is from Matthew, who doesn't mention the census or why Mary is in Bethlehem.
Are you arguing that churches should be rigourous in not combining themes from Luke and Matthew in their Christmas celebrations? That's a position I associate more with ultra-rationalists such as Spong. If it's legitimate to have both shepherds and magi in the same Nativity scene, it's equally legitimate to think about what happens when you juxtapose the Magnificat and the Massacre of the Innocents.

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

quote:
The Roman Empire's occupation of Palestine cannot be conflated with Israel's oppression of Palestinians,

Why not? Frankly, that's a lot less of a leap, in terms of parallels to draw, than many of the things I've heard in sermons over the years.

I see nothing wrong in pointing out that God did not incarnate himself into a position of earthly power but one of oppression, and that people in the same part of the world aren't having a great time of it now either.

As for the Gospels choosing to mention Bethlehem: yes, the location is mentioned because of prophecies about the location. Has it ever occurred to you, though, that the timing of the Incarnation might, in fact, have been based on what the situation was in Bethlehem (and Israel more generally) at the particular time?

I'm not saying that there's definitive proof as to the reasons for the timing of Jesus' birth, I'm saying that it's not a fanciful proposition to talk about what was going on in that part of the world at that time as a relevant fact.

[ 09. January 2014, 01:05: Message edited by: orfeo ]

Nor, I should add, do I think it makes sense to say "it's Christmas, therefore we can only look at the first couple of chapters of 2 Gospels and we cannot draw on anything else we know about the period, whether drawn from elsewhere in any of the Gospels or from other sources".

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Zach82: I never once said what the text was "only" about, LeRoc.
You seem to be pretty adamant about it here.
Look, if you're going to add words to what I've posted and throw temper tantrums when I don't substantiate what you only imagined I said, I am just going to go back to ignoring you. I don't need the frustration, and I doubt you do either.

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
The Roman Empire's occupation of Palestine cannot be conflated with Israel's oppression of Palestinians,

Why not? Frankly, that's a lot less of a leap, in terms of parallels to draw, than many of the things I've heard in sermons over the years.

I see nothing wrong in pointing out that God did not incarnate himself into a position of earthly power but one of oppression, and that people in the same part of the world aren't having a great time of it now either.

As for the Gospels choosing to mention Bethlehem: yes, the location is mentioned because of prophecies about the location. Has it ever occurred to you, though, that the timing of the Incarnation might, in fact, have been based on what the situation was in Bethlehem (and Israel more generally) at the particular time?

I'm not saying that there's definitive proof as to the reasons for the timing of Jesus' birth, I'm saying that it's not a fanciful proposition to talk about what was going on in that part of the world at that time as a relevant fact.

I hate to be cagey and answer with a question, but do you think there is any value in gathering to do nothing more than hear the nativity story and praise God for it? Is it OK for Christendom to celebrate the work of God, and to give presents and eat bloody roast beef and drink gallons of eggnog and champagne because of it without thinking about the injustice in the world?

I do think all of that is not only possible, but good and proper, and I feel great irritation at this imposition on the day. There are 364 days in the year for moralizing and politicking already.

[ 09. January 2014, 01:53: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

Posted by cliffdweller (# 13338) on :

quote:
quote:
quote:

I hate to be cagey and answer with a question, but do you think there is any value in gathering to do nothing more than hear the nativity story and praise God for it? Is it OK for Christendom to celebrate the work of God, and to give presents and eat bloody roast beef and drink gallons of eggnog and champagne because of it without thinking about the injustice in the world?

I do think all of that is not only possible, but good and proper, and I feel great irritation at this imposition on the day. There are 364 days in the year for moralizing and politicking already.

I'm guessing that there are a couple dozen or more places you could, in fact, gather to do precisely that. Not just on that one day but on many of the Sundays leading up to Christmas. And it doesn't seem like the church in the OP pulled any sort of bait-and-switch, I'm guessing the attendees at "Bethlehem unwrapped" had a fairly good idea of what they were getting in for. So no one was forced to endure " moralizing and politicking" against their will.

quote:
quote:
quote:

I think it's possible, yes, but you're pretty much asking the ordained to abandon everything their training told them to do about trying to take texts that are thousands of years old and make them relevant.

There is an awful lot of the Bible that could, if you wish, be reduced to 'here is a narrative'. You don't really need a sermon to read the narrative, though, because you can read it for yourself. Sermons are all about drawing out implications from the narrative, and once you accept that, I don't really see a justification for saying 'these are the implications you're allowed to draw out, and these are the implications you're not allowed to draw out'. So long as the implication can be fairly made, I think it's fair game.

quote:
I think it's possible, yes, but you're pretty much asking the ordained to abandon everything their training told them to do about trying to take texts that are thousands of years old and make them relevant.

There is an awful lot of the Bible that could, if you wish, be reduced to 'here is a narrative'. You don't really need a sermon to read the narrative, though, because you can read it for yourself. Sermons are all about drawing out implications from the narrative, and once you accept that, I don't really see a justification for saying 'these are the implications you're allowed to draw out, and these are the implications you're not allowed to draw out'. So long as the implication can be fairly made, I think it's fair game.

I think the intervention of God in human history in the birth of Jesus is relevant even before we shoe-horn 21st century politics into the text. I see no reason to be down on narrative.

I feel that the whole Nativity story becomes no more than a feel-good kiddies' tale unless it is inserted into a real situation of space and time. And, yes, I agree that the timing was not incidental - it was one of God's "kairos" moments.

quote:
quote:

I think the intervention of God in human history in the birth of Jesus is relevant even before we shoe-horn 21st century politics into the text. I see no reason to be down on narrative.
Why is it relevant? As soon as you start explaining that, you've gone beyond narrative. That doesn't mean I'm down on narrative. It means I'm up on meaning.

We rarely tell any story unless there's some kind of point to it. All you're really saying is that you want people to only tell you about particular meanings of this story, and not other meanings.

[ 09. January 2014, 06:30: Message edited by: orfeo ]

ADDENDUM: And that pretty well brings us back to a conversation others were already having with you about 'intentionalism'. You're absolutely right to say that the authors of the Gospels couldn't have 21st century Palestine in mind as a point they were trying to make, because they'd never heard of 21st century Palestine. Well, putting to one side questions of divine revelation and prophecy...

But do we really want to tell preachers they can only talk about what the original authors had in mind?

I honestly can't see how you can justify saying 'they're allowed to do that 364 days of the year, but not on Christmas Day'. That's not an exclusion based on principle, it seems to me. It feels like an exclusion based on 'I really like Christmas Day and I don't want you to wreck it for me'.

If people are allowed to draw out the context of a passage from 1 Kings, and talk about what was going on in Israel in the year 800 BC and discuss the parallels to what's happening in the 21st century, I can't see a reason in principle why they're not allowed to draw out the context of a passage from the first couple of chapters of Matthew or Luke, and talk about what was going on in Israel in about the year 4 BC and discuss the parallels to what's happening in the 21st century. The writers of 1 Kings didn't have 21st century Palestine in mind any more than the writers of the Gospels.

[ 09. January 2014, 06:39: Message edited by: orfeo ]

To me, this is what preachers do. They take a Bible texts and give us some clues about how it can mean something to us in our present situation today. This is their job. If we don't do this, then we've reduced the Bible to some quaint ancient story book.

I very much appreciate what happened in Bethlehem 2000 years ago. But it doesn't make much sense talking about it unless it means something to us to day.

This is a very basic premise of Christianity: what happened 2000 years ago means something to us today.

[ 09. January 2014, 09:30: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

Posted by The Silent Acolyte (# 1158) on :

quote:
I think the intervention of God in human history in the birth of Jesus is relevant even before we shoe-horn 21st century politics into the text.

Does this mean I now have to stop bitching and moaning about Imperial Babylon-on-the-Potomac?

I've never really gone in for the "whore" language, but recent political events have me reconsidering.

Edited to add: Oops. I thought this was the Babylon Unwrapped thread.

[ 09. January 2014, 16:41: Message edited by: The Silent Acolyte ]

Posted by LutheranChik (# 9826) on :

The Nativity narratives are intensely political; there's no way around it. And while I think petty partisan politics generally doesn't belong in the pulpit, I certainly think it's fair game to discuss the story in broader political terms -- what Walter Wink calls the "powers and principalities."

Posted by cliffdweller (# 13338) on :

quote:
To me, this is what preachers do. They take a Bible texts and give us some clues about how it can mean something to us in our present situation today. This is their job. If we don't do this, then we've reduced the Bible to some quaint ancient story book.

Not only that, if you look at how the NT writers use the OT, you'll see very much the same thing. The prophet(s) Isaiah certainly did not envision the use Matthew makes of his words.

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

It would have been better if Lucy Winkett had concerned herself with the plight of Christians all over the middle-east.

Better still if she had chosen to highlight that in every country where there is some form of radical Islam Christians are being killed in the name of jihad.

Even better if she'd chosen to point out that the Palestinian Authority are doing their best to marginalise Christians (at best) and deny them all rights (at worst).

The security fence is around Bethlehem precisely because of the forcible invasion of the church of the nativity by Islamists some years ago: the original route for the fence avoided the church.

As a general thing, the Church of England seems to have decided that where the middle-east is concerned it is "Arab-Islamist = good, Israeli/Jewish = bad" regardless of sense or balance.

Posted by Anglican_Brat (# 12349) on :

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
It would have been better if Lucy Winkett had concerned herself with the plight of Christians all over the middle-east.

Why is it whenever someone speaks out about one particular issue that another person almost always says "What about X?"

This is nonsense. Suppose I protest oil drilling off the coast of New Mexico. If someone yells "Why don't you worry about poverty?", I'll respond, "Of course I care about poverty AND ecological degradation, it is just that in this instance, I decided to focus my attention on this particular issue."

I'm sure the Rev. Lucy Winkett cares about Christians being persecuted in the Middle East. Don't forget, there are Palestinian Christians who also suffer from the effects of Israeli occupation.

quote:
As a general thing, the Church of England seems to have decided that where the middle-east is concerned it is "Arab-Islamist = good, Israeli/Jewish = bad" regardless of sense or balance.
Actually the complete reverse is true in North American quarters. Thanks to the influential pro-Israeli lobby in the States, Israel can pretty much do whatever it wants with the rubber stamp of the United States, resulting in misery and oppression for the Palestinians.

How dare for the CofE to suggest that the Palestinians deserve human rights?

[code]

[ 10. January 2014, 03:51: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

quote:
L'organist: It would have been better if Lucy Winkett had concerned herself with the plight of Christians all over the middle-east.
I've never understood this. When someone talks about Palestinians suffering, there seems to be a compelling rule that one has to pad this statement right away by at least twenty statements that Christians or Jews or ... are suffering also. And one cannot leave this to another moment, one has to do it now.

But when someone talks about South Sudanese, Zimbabweans, or even Egyptian Christians ... suffering, there doesn't seem to be such a rule. Somehow, one can talk about their suffering, and pray for them, without this compelling need to also discuss the suffering of other people to provide immediate 'balance'.

Oh, and a lot of Palestinians in Bethlehem are Christians.

It seems to me a strange form of cruelty that one wouldn't be allowed to discuss their suffering without the requirement that one discuss the suffering of a lot of other people also.

Posted by Ricardus (# 8757) on :

If we are going to interpret the text politically:

1. Herod is the bad guy but he is also the indigenous vassal, not the Empire. So if we are drawing parallels Herod is the Palestinian Authority and the Romans are Israel.

2. I didn't think Joseph actually had to go to Bethlehem, I thought he was just emphasising his Davidic roots. That may be an idiosyncratic reading though.

I'm sure that Ms. Winkett is well aware of the wider context of the Middle Eastern Church. But it is surely her privilege or right to decide what she will focus on.

As it happens, during the Christmas period, we prayed for different Middle East situations at different times: for Syria and its refugees at the Carol Service, for Bethlehem and Israel/Palestine on Christmas Day, and for the Church in Egypt on the Sunday after Christmas. All these arose naturally IMO from the contexts and texts of the various services. But thinking of any one did not exclude the others.

quote:
Ricardus: 1. Herod is the bad guy but he is also the indigenous vassal, not the Empire. So if we are drawing parallels Herod is the Palestinian Authority and the Romans are Israel.
Mahmoud Abbas is the indigenous vassal of Israel?

Posted by *Leon* (# 3377) on :

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:

I believe the church decided to host this event because of the experience of a parish pilgrimage to the holy land.

Posted by Ricardus (# 8757) on :

quote:
quote:
Ricardus: 1. Herod is the bad guy but he is also the indigenous vassal, not the Empire. So if we are drawing parallels Herod is the Palestinian Authority and the Romans are Israel.
Mahmoud Abbas is the indigenous vassal of Israel?
It's my understanding that the Palestinian Authority only has as much autonomy as Israel allows it, which would make it a de facto vassal in feudal terms. Certainly I have heard complaints about derelict infrastructure on the West Bank that the Palestinian Authority doesn't have the power to restore and that Israel isn't interested in restoring.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that the bad guy in the Gospels isn't actually the foreign power.

quote:
Ricardus: It's my understanding that the Palestinian Authority only has as much autonomy as Israel allows it, which would make it a de facto vassal in feudal terms.
I think we're having a semantic difference over the word 'vassal'.

To me, Herod was a vassal. I think he was merely tolerated there by the Roman Empire because it didn't have the resources to rule this backward region directly. Therefore, Herod could rule it, but he had to show allegiance to the Empire. There may have been frictions between them (the Gospels seem to hint at that), but they are basically on the same side.

The relationship between Mr. Abbas and Israel is different. Israel sort of tolerates him there, but only because the international community forces it to. Mr. Abbas holds no allegiance towards Israel; in fact they are very much on opposite sides of the conflict.

To my assertion that "vulnerability in the face of evil" is a big theme (although not the only theme) in the Nativity story, it doesn't make much difference though.

Posted by The Silent Acolyte (# 1158) on :

quote:
Anglican_Brat say something earnest about:
the coast of New Mexico

Being one of those squarish, land-locked states in the southwest of the American union, New Mexico doesn't have any sort coast off which there could be controversial oil drilling.

© Ship of Fools 2016