Thread: The Honest to God Official Unwritten Ship of Fools Rules Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=026810

Posted by Patdys (# 9397) on :

In Styx, there was a query about the Unwritten Ship Rules. It got me to thinking about the unofficial rules which are current, or more importantly, Should Be Current.

You know them all of course,

If you call someone to Hell, send them a pm.

Don't make list threads.

When you read a post in Hell, imagine saying 'Mwa Ha Ha' under your breath at the outset.

Before posting in Ecclesiantics, make the sign of the cross and wear a clove of garlic.

Any I have missed?

Posted by Palimpsest (# 16772) on :

Thanks for posting. I thought the clove of garlic was to be worn when posting to the Cooking thread in Heaven. My mistake.

Only to keep Firenze away. [Biased]

[ 11. January 2014, 06:43: Message edited by: Patdys ]

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:

You've got that wrong: garlic acts as an attractant. Rather like the sound of popping corks. To repel me you have to sleep with a Kentucky Fried Boneless Dip under your pillow.

[ 11. January 2014, 07:13: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

You forgot to add:

Never, ever, under any circumstance diss comet.

Posted by Stejjie (# 13941) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
You forgot to add:

I was just about to say comet... just comet, really...

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

C6 protects posters, not hosts and admins.

Posted by The5thMary (# 12953) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:

You've got that wrong: garlic acts as an attractant. Rather like the sound of popping corks. To repel me you have to sleep with a Kentucky Fried Boneless Dip under your pillow.
Kentucky Fried Boneless Drip, eh? Is that referring to EVERYONE in the South or just people in Kentucky? [Big Grin]

Ooops, read it wrong. Dip, not drip. Still refers to far too many people in the Southern part of the United States. [Devil]

Posted by Ariston (# 10894) on :

Bodily function jokes are not funny. Neither are gross-out jokes. Making these is what gets threads closed.

Posted by A.Pilgrim (# 15044) on :

All posts must be in the English language.

I think that this should be a written rule, and in the past I tried to persuade H&As to do this, but did so around the time that Martin PC Not got planked for posting in Morse Code and tempers were rather frayed.

Angus

Posted by Ariston (# 10894) on :

quote:
Originally posted by A.Pilgrim:

Addendum: if it's commonly used in English, especially if more people recognize it in the original language than when translated, it counts as English.

The only exception for this is Welsh. I wish I knew Welsh, so by using it just enough that I can figure out what you mean by context, you're letting me delude myself into thinking I know it. Feeding my own personal delusions is always appreciated.

Posted by Qoheleth. (# 9265) on :

Don't post when drunk. [Eek!]

Posted by Scarlet (# 1738) on :

"Party" threads are highly frowned upon in this establishment. Probably forbidden.

Posted by basso (# 4228) on :

There are no unwritten rules on the Ship, but heaven help you if you break one of 'em.

Posted by Hedgehog (# 14125) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:
Don't post when drunk. [Eek!]

My posting frequency just went down....

quote:

Or to be more accurate, an English language. American, Australian, British, Canadian, Irish, Indian, Scottish and Welsh English are all slightly different, but we have hosts to cater for these.

Don't push your luck though.

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
You forgot to add:

oh no! please, please do! [Big Grin]

I like snacks.

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

Beware of H&A Day.

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

Do not attempt to sell snacks on a Hell thread, however dreary it may have become, nor however hungry the peanut gallery.

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

1. Try to learn from the dumbasses who have survived. (With thanks to comet. Again)

2. Hellhosting is, probably, the best possible training for senior management hereabouts.

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
2. Hellhosting is, probably, the best possible training for senior management hereabouts.

[Eek!]

[Waterworks]

*runs for the door screaming incoherently*

Posted by Evangeline (# 7002) on :

quote:

I think that this should be a written rule, and in the past I tried to persuade H&As to do this, but did so around the time that Martin PC Not got planked for posting in Morse Code and tempers were rather frayed.

Angus

Except Australian English is banned!

your definition of "banned" and mine are very different.

Another ship unofficial rule: no matter how long you try to avoid it, eventually, you too will need to learn the basics of latin, greek, liturgical colors, and cricket.

it's just a matter of time.

You forgot steam train gauges and stations on the London Underground.

The one that really scares me is having to learn the pros and cons of Penal Substitutionary Atonement.

Posted by Scarlet (# 1738) on :

quote:

[Biased]

One can become a master even while residing in North Carolina.

quote:
You forgot steam train gauges ...

Both for real-life trains and scale models, including the bizarre ways in which the same model gauge can be used to represent replicas in different scales!

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

Yay! [Smile]

That clanking sound was me changing the points to redirect this thread back to the original topic.

Firenze
Heaven Host

Posted by roybart (# 17357) on :

Never use a complete phrase when Some Obscure Acronym (aka SOA) can save a few seconds of typing time.

This is most crucial when discussing arcane matters having to do with the CofE.

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
The one that really scares me is having to learn the pros and cons of Penal Substitutionary Atonement.

It's better than penile substitutionary atonement.

quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:
quote:

What's so scary about big pickup trucks?

quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:
quote:

I knew that 'joke' was coming. I just didn't know who from.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

Pun not intended?

Posted by Pyx_e (# 57) on :

Their is a difference between both "to" and too" and "your" and "you're." Mix them up often to acclimatise the grammar Nazis to the real world.

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

Don't talk about Aberystwyth. Just don't.

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

Or Leamington Spa ...

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Pun not intended?

Which one? There are so many to choose from.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:

And neverevereverever say that it is Welch.
[Mad]

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

You might have to allow one shipmate to talk about Aberwristwatch-on-sea as she lives there.(Not me)

Posted by Sir Kevin (# 3492) on :

quote:

Hey! I won Mornington Crescent just a few years ago!

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
Their is a difference between both "to" and too" and "your" and "you're." Mix them up often to acclimatise the grammar Nazis to the real world.

Use Australian spelling as it is God's own country.

Posted by Rev per Minute (# 69) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:

And neverevereverever say that it is Welch.
[Mad]

Oh, I remember that... [Roll Eyes] And as Welsh is 'iaith y nefoedd' - the language of heaven - it belongs on this board as no other! [Razz]

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

Never confuse the adjectives Scotch, Scottish and Scots. Just don't.

Posted by jacobsen (# 14998) on :

And please differentiate between a Kentish man and man of Kent. And then explain the difference to me. [Biased]

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:

I don't - I am about half Scots-Irish and most of the rest English by way of Germany and the Netherlands: I was born in LA -- I get along with everybody!

quote:

Don't forget 'less' and 'fewer': the foreman on a gig was corrected by me after an extemporaneous safety speech and I got sent home early later the same week! Surly rat bastard - no friend of mine anymore....

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
quote:

I don't - I am about half Scots-Irish and most of the rest English by way of Germany and the Netherlands: I was born in LA -- I get along with everybody!
Except "surly rat bastards". [Biased]

Posted by Sherwood (# 15702) on :

quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
And please differentiate between a Kentish man and man of Kent. And then explain the difference to me. [Biased]

A Man or Maid of Kent is a person born in East Kent. A Kentish Man or Maid is a person born in West Kent. Take it from a Man of Kent [Smile]

Posted by A.Pilgrim (# 15044) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sherwood:
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:

A Man or Maid of Kent is a person born in East Kent. A Kentish Man or Maid is a person born in West Kent. Take it from a Man of Kent [Smile]
... where the dividing line between East and West is defined by the course of the River Medway (which in the west of the county divides more north-south than east-west)
Angus

Posted by Campbellite (# 1202) on :

All Yanks are Americans, but not all Americans are Yanks. In some parts of the US, them's fightin' words.
And no one, NO ONE in the US refers to the inhabitants thereof a USians. That's not even a word.

Posted by Campbellite (# 1202) on :

As for the English only rule (serious answer)

Not all Shippies are native speakers of English. But all of us do speak some form of English. And we strongly encourage the use of proper English (as opposed to, say, l33t or other crap) in order to facilitate communication.

The Blessed Erin (peace be upon her) held us fast to that rule.

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
NO ONE in the US refers to the inhabitants thereof a USians. That's not even a word.

Hispanic Americans prefer "estadounidenses" to "americanos".

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
NO ONE in the US refers to the inhabitants thereof a USians. That's not even a word.

Hispanic Americans prefer "estadounidenses" to "americanos".
But that's not USians.

Posted by Adeodatus (# 4992) on :

quote:

But was it ever thus? My family were mostly Presbyterians of the Scottish kind, even though they lived in Northumberland (the Scottish Presbyterian Church leaks south of the border a bit, and their village had both Scottish and English Presbyterian churches). But their marriage certificate (1950) says that they were married according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Scotch Presbyterians - written by a Scottish minister of that church.

Posted by cosmic dance (# 14025) on :

Rule 1 - Don't ever be a newbie.
Rule 2 - Never post until you are not a newbie.
Rule 3 - You are not a newbie when you have made a lot of posts.
Rule 4 - Confused? See Rule 1.

quote:
All Yanks are Americans, but not all Americans are Yanks.

IME, no one from the Americas outside of the United States calls themselves American unless they hear someone from inside the United States call themselves American.

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

Wales is not in England
Scotland is not in England
Ireland is not in England.
Britain or the UK, yes, but England, no.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
Wales is not in England
Scotland is not in England
Ireland is not in England.
Britain or the UK, yes, but England, no.

Ireland is not in England, Britain or the UK. It is part of the British Isles, though, along with some Crown dependencies.

Posted by Chamois (# 16204) on :

Originally posted by Ariel:

quote:
Ireland is not in England, Britain or the UK.
Not so. The 6 counties of northern Ireland are in the UK, the heading on my passport reads "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" and the Union Flag still includes St Patrick's cross.

I stand by what I said. Ireland is not in England, Britain or the UK. If you mean Northern Ireland, then you need to say so. "Ireland" is the Republic, which is not in England, Britain or the UK.

Posted by quetzalcoatl (# 16740) on :

Reminds me of Seamus Heaney:

"Be advised, my passport's green.
No glass of ours was ever raised
to toast the Queen."

Posted by Leorning Cniht (# 17564) on :

quote:
Ireland is not in England, Britain or the UK. It is part of the British Isles, though, along with some Crown dependencies.

"The British Isles" consists of two large islands, called "Great Britain" and "Ireland", and a large number of small islands. These are geographical, rather than political or cultural, divisions.

"The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" consists of the countries of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. It is often called "Britain" and its citizens "British", although as those words are also used for the island "Great Britain" it is sometimes unclear as to whether the inhabitants of Northern Ireland are included in these words.

"Ireland" or "The Republic of Ireland" is a country consisting of the majority of the island of Ireland. The words "Ireland" and "Irish" are used both for the country and also for the island and its inhabitants, so again it is sometimes unclear as to whether the inhabitants of Northern Ireland are included.

Whether or not you assume the inhabitants of Northern Ireland are by default included as "Irish", "British" or both may carry political implications.

[ 20. January 2014, 18:34: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

quote:
I stand by what I said. Ireland is not in England, Britain or the UK. If you mean Northern Ireland, then you need to say so. "Ireland" is the Republic, which is not in England, Britain or the UK.

Unless you play rugby.

The Ireland Rugby Union side is made up of players from the Republic and the North.

Posted by cattyish (# 7829) on :

Tangents are unnecessary.

Cattyish, idly stirring the pot.

Posted by no prophet (# 15560) on :

Define your dialect, at least to a degree. And realize there are multiple meanings depending on your country and area, to some expressions.

The collateral one, is that if you are mocked for not understanding some dialect, use some yourself and mock back. Mindful of hosts who may or may partly or fully tolerate same.

Posted by Leorning Cniht (# 17564) on :

quote:
Originally posted by cattyish:
Tangents are unnecessary.

Tangents are inevitable [Devil]

quote:
quote:

Unless you play rugby.

The Ireland Rugby Union side is made up of players from the Republic and the North.

Apart from football and Olympic events, sports appear to be island-wide, both for the "Englishman's" games like rugby and cricket and the Gaelic sports like hurling.

Posted by Tubbs (# 440) on :

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:

[Eek!]

[Waterworks]

*runs for the door screaming incoherently*

Admins have come from all the boards apart from, so far, the Circus. Of the current crop of Admins, two are ex-Hell hosts and the others are ex-Eccles, Purg, All Saints and Kerg.

Tubbs

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
Of the current crop of Admins, two are ex-Hell hosts and the others are ex-Eccles, Purg, All Saints and Kerg.

Tubbs

Not Heaven? [Eek!]

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
quote:
Of the current crop of Admins, two are ex-Hell hosts and the others are ex-Eccles, Purg, All Saints and Kerg.

Tubbs

Not Heaven? [Eek!]
it's not safe to let the ex-Heaven Hosts out of their restraints.

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

[Killing me]

Definitely an Official Unwritten Rule!

Some of us have been known to put bunny bombs on the other boards. On occasion.

Posted by Siegfried (# 29) on :

Evangelical and Fundamentalist mean different things across the Atlantic. Woe on you if you use them wrong.

There is no Orthodox Plot(tm).

Mentioning GIN is a sure way to get sent to the scuppers.

Remember that there is more than one way to view what it means to be a Proper Christian.

Unwritten rule for unwritten rules and ascribed cultural behaviours:
It is Thus and has always been Thus.
Except when it isn't, and it isn't because it never has been. Except when it is because it always was, sometimes

quote:
[Killing me]

Definitely an Official Unwritten Rule!

Some of us have been known to put bunny bombs on the other boards. On occasion.

Should have said active Admins. [Razz] A few of the Emeritus Admins came from Heaven - Bel, Viola, Clare ... mumble ... mumble ...

To add to Siegfied's comment, GIN is always written in capitals. It just is.

Tubbs

Gin. GIn. gIn. gIN. giN. GiN. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin.

quote:
Gin. GIn. gIn. gIN. giN. GiN. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin. gin.

Shut up, lousy Vikings!

quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:

There is no Orthodox Plot(tm).

Neither is there an In-crowd. Absolutely not.

quote:

Run out of toilet duck again? Here you go, courtesy of Craggy Island Parochial House. Go on.

quote:
quote:

Run out of toilet duck again? Here you go, courtesy of Craggy Island Parochial House. Go on.
Go on, go on, go on ... etc

Tubbs

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

quote:
All Yanks are Americans, but not all Americans are Yanks. In some parts of the US, them's fightin' words.
And no one, NO ONE in the US refers to the inhabitants thereof a USians. That's not even a word.

I find the following supplementary definition to be quite helpful, though I can't remember where I got it from. It was useful in a wedding speech in Vermont not long ago:

“To foreigners, a Yankee is an American; to Americans, a Yankee is a Northerner; to Northerners, a Yankee is an Easterner; to Easterners, a Yankee is a New Englander; to New Englanders, a Yankee is a Vermonter, and to a Vermonter, a Yankee is somebody who eats pie for breakfast.”

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
... to be more accurate, an English language. American, Australian, British, Canadian, Irish, Indian, Scottish and Welsh English are all slightly different, but we have hosts to cater for these.

Don't push your luck though.

*Ahem*?!

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
it's not safe to let the ex-Heaven Hosts out of their restraints.

... oh, some just head south

And don't triple post [Disappointed]

Double is probably okay and does not require an apology. Usually.

quote:
quote:

Use Australian spelling as it is God's own country.
Strewth. Too bloody right.

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
quote:

I find the following supplementary definition to be quite helpful, though I can't remember where I got it from. It was useful in a wedding speech in Vermont not long ago:

“To foreigners, a Yankee is an American; to Americans, a Yankee is a Northerner; to Northerners, a Yankee is an Easterner; to Easterners, a Yankee is a New Englander; to New Englanders, a Yankee is a Vermonter, and to a Vermonter, a Yankee is somebody who eats pie for breakfast.”

I once heard it said that when the British talk about America, they mean New York. When they talk about New York, they mean Manhatten.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
I once heard it said that when the British talk about America, they mean New York. When they talk about New York, they mean Manhatten.

Many New Yorkers (and most Americans) seem to think that New York City (and even New York State) = Manhattan.

And many Americans think that England = London. I go to England just about every summer but rarely to London, yet every year people ask me about my trip to London.

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

Many New Yorkers (and most Americans) seem to think that New York City (and even New York State) = Manhattan.

And many Americans think that England = London. I go to England just about every summer but rarely to London, yet every year people ask me about my trip to London.

When Americans talk about Manhattan do they mean all of Manhattan? I'm not even sure most Britons are aware that Harlem is part of Manhattan!

Posted by Hugal (# 2734) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

When Americans talk about Manhattan do they mean all of Manhattan? I'm not even sure most Britons are aware that Harlem is part of Manhattan!
I am aware that Harlem is on Manhattan, and was even before we went there on holiday. It is the outer boroughs that us Brits tend to get mixed up.

My unwritten rule is
If both partners (spouses, other halves what ever you wish to call them) are shipmates don't go all lovey dovey with each other. I am sure that Gill H my wonderful, baby waybey best wifey in the world would agree.

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

I suspect that even some New Yorkers aren't aware that Marble Hill is in Manhattan. I've vaguely wanted to go there for years. Because Broadway.

I am a citizen of the world. I was born in LA and am reasonably well-traveled. I have a valid US passport. I passed the British citizenship test, and God willing, I shall die a British subject before I am ninety. My aunt will reach that milestone in about five weeks!

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

quote:
quote:

Tubbs

Not Heaven? [Eek!]
I did a stint in Heaven. Also All Saints.

Ex-hosts should never boast about all the perks - the private yacht, the world cruise, the gold plated Lambeth Palace pass, the first class rail tickets to shipmeets, the chauffer driven limo, the free SoF mugs of GIN - need I go on??

© Ship of Fools 2016