Thread: I find that odd Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=026817

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

When I was visiting the USA I found it odd that fellow diners would remove their jackets before eating but leave their hats on.

I'll admit that it was only a small minority that did this, but I have seen it in Arizona (Stetson) and Massachusetts (baseball cap).

I did not think it was wrong, just odd.

I'm sure that the way British people do things must seem odd to people of other cultures, (or even the correct way we do things in Yorkshire may seem odd to the rest of the UK.)

So what behaviours from other cultures do you find odd.

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

I'm used to it now, but when I first visited people Outside I was shocked to see people wearing shoes inside houses. Seemed super rude to me.

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

The eating in hats instance I've seen was when I worked in the Civil Service. There was a club of mainly female retirees who would come in occasionally to have lunch in the office canteen and reminisce about the old days among the Manila folders. The would doff their coats but retain hats and maybe the knotted silk square round the neck.

You would need to survey all hat-wearing classes - old ladies, cowboys, truck drivers or whatever - to ascertain whether the crucial factors were nationality, age, gender or something else.

[ 13. January 2014, 20:10: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posted by Zacchaeus (# 14454) on :

Ladies would often leave their hats on – it was an issue to do with hair, having worn a hat then taking them off left a messy head of hair..

Posted by cliffdweller (# 13338) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

You would need to survey all hat-wearing classes - old ladies, cowboys, truck drivers or whatever - to ascertain whether the crucial factors were nationality, age, gender or something else.

Age. It's a generational thing. In the 1960s, in the Camelot days when our President had that fabulous head of Kennedy hair, hats (for men) went out of fashion. We had a whole generation of boys that grew up without them.

This first came up in church about 20 years ago when the youngsters started wearing baseball caps for more than just sporting events. Because their parents grew up not wearing hats, they were never exposed to the "rules" about when you
shouldn't wear a hat. The older folks were aghast when all these teens started wearing baseball caps to church-- but their parents were none the wiser. My response: *shrug*

The shoes thing is funny-- my grandmother was always the opposite-- she couldn't stand the idea of anyone walking around on her nice clean floors in their bare feet! *shudder*

But now that we are a nation of so many cultures, I find most everyone will just ask "shoes on or off?" when entering your home. The hat thing, though-- still a mystery to most of us, at least in California.

I see old friends who've been living in the US for some years now offer to take their shoes off when they come to visit. We would none of us thought of doing that back in Ireland - what, after all, are doormats for?

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

I've heard various useful comebacks to some of these habits, and they may even have historical roots. For example, "It's OK to take your hat off in here - our roof doesn't leak". And, "You can take off your shoes in here - we don't keep the pigs in the house any more".

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

quote:
There was a club of mainly female retirees who would come in occasionally to have lunch in the office canteen and reminisce about the old days among the Manila folders. The would doff their coats but retain hats and maybe the knotted silk square round the neck.

A lady removes her hat only in her own home . . . and, it must be added, her place of business.

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
There was a club of mainly female retirees who would come in occasionally to have lunch in the office canteen and reminisce about the old days among the Manila folders. The would doff their coats but retain hats and maybe the knotted silk square round the neck.

A lady removes her hat only in her own home . . . and, it must be added, her place of business.
...in certain cultures, of course.

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

Here shoes are NEVER worn in the house, the temple or the mosque and generally not in church but when we lived in the city and used to go to an Anglo-Indian parish not only were shoes allowed beyond the door but also men and women sat together!

Shocking!

In the two parishes we attend these days [one Latin Catholic and the other Syro-Malabar Catholic] the rule is men on the Gospel side and women on the Epistle side with the overspill of women at the back on the Gospel side.

eta: children move about and can go either side - they often wander between parents during mass.

[ 14. January 2014, 04:21: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

I always kick my shoes off when I get home. Not sure how that started, but possibly a simple desire to get rid of these cumbersome things on my feet and move around more easily. It's one of the reasons why I never wear trainers: I tried some on once and it felt like having my feet imprisoned.

Going barefoot in the grass on a dewy summer morning is one of life's small simple pleasures, as is walking along the beach (with the usual provisos of there being no litter, sharp objects, dog mess, etc etc).

Posted by The5thMary (# 12953) on :

Here's something I haven't really seen in the Southern United States but only up north and sometimes, rarely, in the Pacific Northwest: Older women wearing hair curlers out in public! Oh, I used to see that in D.C. and Maryland all the time and had to restrain myself from screaming. Who wants to see some old crone with her old crone friends out and about, on public transportation sporting curlers all over their heads? Tacky! Do women in other countries do this?

Yes, going out in curlers is prevalent amongst certain social classes in UK. I even got on a coach from Liverpool to London last year when I was over there and there was a woman in curlers on the bus.

Posted by The5thMary (# 12953) on :

Wearing baseball caps backwards still seems rather popular. I know some people absolutely hate it but I always wear my baseball caps backwards, when I wear them. Just because it annoys people AND I just like the way they look on my head.

There was somebody recently standing having a conversation with a friend outside Tesco’s, dressed in her nightie, dressing gown and slippers. In public in the street at nearly midday. I really hope that doesn’t catch on – it’s been known in other parts of the country but what utter laziness.

Also, not so long ago I saw a woman with her two kids one evening in the supermarket where she was dressed normally but the kids were in pyjamas and dressing gowns. If they’re ready for bed at 8 pm, why drag them out to the supermarket?

Hair in curlers used to be a norm in my childhood. It made me wonder when and where was this high day or holiday for which the hair was being so endlessly prepared.

I don't remember nighties in the street, but I do remember bedroom slippers as acceptable outdoor wear. (There's a wonderful riff on this in the opening paragraphs of Fludd)

Posted by MSHB (# 9228) on :

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
I'm used to it now, but when I first visited people Outside I was shocked to see people wearing shoes inside houses. Seemed super rude to me.

You have to wear shoes inside your house in Australia so you can stamp on all the poisonous spiders and snakes.

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

quote:
Originally posted by MSHB:
quote:

You have to wear shoes inside your house in Australia so you can stamp on all the poisonous spiders and snakes.
And cockies in this warm weather. I've seen only a couple in this place since I moved in almost three years ago. Seen about a dozen in last few weeks and have put down lure and kill baits.

Posted by ecumaniac (# 376) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Yes, going out in curlers is prevalent amongst certain social classes in UK. I even got on a coach from Liverpool to London last year when I was over there and there was a woman in curlers on the bus.

On the very, very rare occasion that I decide to curl my hair for some event, I use the old-fashioned method that requires leaving them in for hours instead of using a hairdryer. If I happen to want to run to the shops during that time, too bad! I do wrap a scarf on though.

Posted by Ricardus (# 8757) on :

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:

The shoes thing is funny-- my grandmother was always the opposite-- she couldn't stand the idea of anyone walking around on her nice clean floors in their bare feet! *shudder*

When I lived in the Czech Republic, most households maintained a collection of slippers by the front door for visitors' use.

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

No shoes in the house? But what about splinters? I can see that it might work if you had fitted carpets but not otherwise.

Of course, the issue of cold also comes up. So slippers are the norm in our house.

Posted by The Intrepid Mrs S (# 17002) on :

quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:
Wearing baseball caps backwards still seems rather popular. I know some people absolutely hate it but I always wear my baseball caps backwards, when I wear them. Just because it annoys people AND I just like the way they look on my head.

What really makes me wonder is the fashion for wearing baseball caps forwards but tipped back [Eek!] In my view it seems to make the wearer look really stupid, though I couldn't tell you why - unless they would look equally dumb without?

Mrs. S, pondering

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

I think taking one's shoes off in someone else's house is a Far Eastern custom. I was asked to do so when I visited a Korean family a few years ago. They explained to me that 'this is what we do'.

If a visitor came to my house, took their shoes off and padded around in their socks or stockings, I'd be offended. I'd feel they were making themselves at home. It would be like inviting yourself to stay without being asked.

Women wearing curlers in the street, and anyone going shopping in their night clothes is gross, a clear statement that you aren't the sort of person who even wants to get invited to any parties, yet alone the best ones.

Despite the fact that photographs exist of both the late Princess of Wales and the Duke of Cambridge wearing them, even wearing a baseball cap the right way round makes a person look like a prat. Wearing one when driving is a clear warning to everyone else on the road, 'mobile traffic hazard on the loose'. But wearing one back to front! Fifth Mary, how can you imagine that it makes anyone look good? It sends out a clear message 'complete pillock underneath'!

Take it from me, free fashion advice. Don't.

[ 14. January 2014, 11:19: Message edited by: Enoch ]

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

In a tropical country, visitors can take their shoes/sandals off and walk bare-feet in your house (they usually do in my house in Brazil). In colder countries, when they have to use socks, the smell can be a problem...

Don't know where wearing baseball caps backwards came from, but in the days before helmets were compulsory in cycle sport, competitors would wear caps forwards when riding into the sun and backwards when riding away from the sun to protect the back of the neck. On the grouse moors it is permitted to turn your flat cap backwards to give a better view of your shot. Where the idea of wearing a cap backwards when not taking part in a sport though is beyond me.

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
But wearing one back to front! Fifth Mary, how can you imagine that it makes anyone look good? It sends out a clear message 'complete pillock underneath'!

Could be 5th Mary absolutely rocks the backward baseball cap look. One of the select few.

I think it would be polite to make that assumption, Enoch.

Firenze
Heaven Host

quote:
I think taking one's shoes off in someone else's house is a Far Eastern custom. I was asked to do so when I visited a Korean family a few years ago. They explained to me that 'this is what we do'.

Stops the dirt from the street from being tracked all through your house.

I wouldn't count us as being Far Eastern here in South Asia! It is also quite common for there to be a keendi or lota [a sort of jug thing with a spout] by the front door so that guests who wish to may wash their feet before they come in - one of the local kids always does this when he visits. When we first visited UK together Himself was shocked that people would walk into someone else's house in their shoes!

quote:
Here's something I haven't really seen in the Southern United States but only up north and sometimes, rarely, in the Pacific Northwest: Older women wearing hair curlers out in public! Oh, I used to see that in D.C. and Maryland all the time and had to restrain myself from screaming. Who wants to see some old crone with her old crone friends out and about, on public transportation sporting curlers all over their heads? Tacky! Do women in other countries do this?

Who uses curlers any more??? Those went out with curling irons!

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
There was somebody recently standing having a conversation with a friend outside Tesco’s, dressed in her nightie, dressing gown and slippers. In public in the street at nearly midday. I really hope that doesn’t catch on – it’s been known in other parts of the country but what utter laziness.

Also, not so long ago I saw a woman with her two kids one evening in the supermarket where she was dressed normally but the kids were in pyjamas and dressing gowns. If they’re ready for bed at 8 pm, why drag them out to the supermarket?

A nightie would cause a stare, but here in So. Cal, wearing flannel pajama pants (with a t shirt of sweatshirt) is quite common among the young. It is pretty much the standard uniform for my college students, especially during exam season. I don't mind, given that they're actually more covered up than they were in previous fashions.

Posted by Edith (# 16978) on :

quote:
Hair in curlers used to be a norm in my childhood. It made me wonder when and where was this high day or holiday for which the hair was being so endlessly prepared.

I don't remember nighties in the street, but I do remember bedroom slippers as acceptable outdoor wear. (There's a wonderful riff on this in the opening paragraphs of Fludd)

And in mine. The women used to take them out just before their husbands arrived home from the pit.

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

If that is the case then hair curlers are the English equivalent to the hijab. That is what women wear to keep your best looks for their family. Of course I also suspect at least amongst younger women curlers are worn so to look their best while out on a Friday night.

Jengie

[ 14. January 2014, 15:17: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

There's an old, anecdotal story from back in the 60s when pink curlers were worn everywhere -- of a bride who wore curlers to her wedding so that her hair would look nice for the reception.

Posted by Jade Constable (# 17175) on :

quote:
quote:

Who uses curlers any more??? Those went out with curling irons!
Very much in use, actually! You can also get heated ones.

modern curling tongs

There was a time when you used to see women in curlers, a scarf worn like a turban round the head and a cigarette dangling from one corner of the mouth, while they stood on their doorsteps, arms folded, to talk to each other and break off periodically to shout at the children. I thought all that had died out by the early 70s.

Our Hilda was still wearing them in the 1980s. However she was based on women from earlier decades.

Jengie

quote:
Originally posted by ecumaniac:
quote:

EXACTLY! or snow and ice melting and soaking into your floor.

if I were to walk into someone's house with my shoes on (without asking, in case there's some reason I need to.) an risk tracking wet and dirt and dog shit or whatever from the outside world, it would be like insulting the people who live there. like I don't care about their hygiene.

and we always keep spare slippers, but not everyone does. if you invite people into your home you're responsible for keeping your home warm enough and your floor clean enough for them to be comfortable. if for some reason you can't promise this, you tell them the moment they walk in that they should keep their shoes on, you're very sorry but the heater is busted/the toddler spilled applesauce/the dog chews sticks in the house, etc.

and if you're going to someone's home, you make sure to wear clean socks!

as Enoch said, it's obviously rude to take your shoes OFF elsewhere, so I just always ask when I'm outside of AK or the Yukon. crazy foreign customs. [Biased]

[ 14. January 2014, 18:28: Message edited by: comet ]

Posted by Chocoholic (# 4655) on :

Ooh, I hate it when people wear shoes in our house, we have our own shoes in the porch which often acts as a hint, but as a reserved Brit I can't just tell people take them off! [Roll Eyes]

On the pyjama thing, I remember a few years ago one Tesco store banned people going in wearing them, caused uproar!

Some days when I change from my pyjamas into track suit bottoms and long sleeve T shirt I do wonder how different they are though!

[ 14. January 2014, 18:50: Message edited by: Chocoholic ]

Posted by Carex (# 9643) on :

quote:

...and if you're going to someone's home, you make sure to wear clean socks!

Especially if you've spent all day cleaning fish, chasing hogs, or otherwise mucking about in your red rubber boots / wellies. PLEASE!

A boot bench in a covered entrance allows the more messy (or fragrant) footwear to be removed and left outside. We have some spare slippers by the front door, and thick wool socks are available on request for the comfort of our guests.

This is more a practical matter than cultural: while muddy boots were discouraged when we lived in a 100-year-old farmhouse with mottled brown carpet (surely chosen by a farmer's wife who knew what to expect), we still often wore shoes inside. But the new house has white carpeting throughout, and some contaminates are not sufficiently removed by a single doormat.

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

quote:
comet: and if you're going to someone's home, you make sure to wear clean socks!
It's been a long time since I wore socks [Biased]

Posted by no prophet (# 15560) on :

The not wearing shoes in someone's house is practical, at least here. Dust, bits of grit, mud and dirt cling to them and damage flooring and make it dirty.

In winter, boots come off, but people often wear shoes that are sort of boot like, and because it is frozen here for 7 months, the amount of snow tracked is small, except with fresh fallen snow, taking shoes off is 'sometimes'. But always if dirty.

Bare feet in summer? If they clean come in, if not, don't. Bare feet in winter? Typically only done if a quick trip out and in, and visitors don't do it.

Posted by Leorning Cniht (# 17564) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Chocoholic:
Ooh, I hate it when people wear shoes in our house, we have our own shoes in the porch which often acts as a hint, but as a reserved Brit I can't just tell people take them off!

Before moving to the US, I had never encountered the idea of removing your shoes when you visited someone's house, and if you were expecting company in your own home, you would naturally be wearing decent clothes and shoes. Shoes didn't go upstairs, though.

In these parts, the norm seems to be that people remove their shoes if they are staying, but keep them on and hover in the entryway if they are just dropping off or collecting something or someone.

As Carex suggests, people with thick fluffy white carpets are rather more concerned about shoes than people with polished wooden floors.

Posted by HCH (# 14313) on :

I know people who follow the custom of not wearing shoes in their homes, and one result is that there is often a large collection of shoes by the front door. It can be a bottleneck if they have guests: find your shoes and manage to put them on while several other people are waiting.

Posted by BessHiggs (# 15176) on :

One of the few social conventions I miss from Miami is the kiss hello/kiss goodbye. My esperience was that is was not at all uncommon to give someone you had just met either an air kiss or a light kiss on the cheek instead of a handshake. I miss that living here.

I grew up in a social environment totally devoid of social kissing. I can remember as a child of about 5, visiting relatives in England, and being fairly bewildered by my great aunt kissing me Goodnight.

I'd say it still, in my present milieu, represents a sincere expression of affection between old friends rather than a mwah! mwah! darling! to comparative strangers. In fact, I can't remember any miscellaneous bussing other than on Hogmanay.

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

I've notioed a change in workmens' habits with regards to shoes and boots. Some leave them on. Some take them off. Some now arrive with those plastic things with elastic to put on over their footwear. It doesn't seem to be connected with the likelihood of their dropping heavy stuff on their feet.
I'm going to have to clean the laminate tomorrow after the door fitters have finished.

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

quote:
Originally posted by ecumaniac:
quote:

It's also because the floor is a major workspace where people chop veggies (on a board of course), lay out fabric for cutting, and so forth. Wearing dirty shoes on it would be rather likedoing the same on your kitchen counter.

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

I remember finding the shoe-removal thing odd when I went to Norway, especially as all the times I've been there have been in the summer and it didn't seem necessary.

Having now lived Somewhere Cold And Snowy™ for ten years, I can see why people do it in winter; it's to stop the floors getting wet. If I'm visiting somebody's house and my shoes/boots are wet, I'll usually take a pair of shoes to change into, although I wouldn't bother in the summer. I know several gentlemen who wear rubber over-shoes, and just remove them when they go to someone's house.

Posted by Leaf (# 14169) on :

In the American Midwest, a polite "Thank you" to a server or clerk will be met with a response of "Yep" and a thousand-yard stare. It's a bit uncanny. "You're welcome" or "No problem" would be my culturally-expected responses.

"Yep." Are you agreeing with me that you ought to be thanked?

It's especially odd given the usually overly-overly-friendly service that precedes it: the sort of over-friendliness that prompts the grumpier among us to contemplate buying and using mace.

Posted by JFH (# 14794) on :

I suspect that not wearing shoes might not just be a Far Eastern habit, but also a Far Northern one. As far as I know, all of Scandinavia demands that you take them off when entering a home, similar to Yukon and Alaska.

Posted by Gracious rebel (# 3523) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
It's also because the floor is a major workspace where people chop veggies (on a board of course), lay out fabric for cutting, and so forth. Wearing dirty shoes on it would be rather likedoing the same on your kitchen counter.

You chop vegetables on the floor?! That's a new one on me.
(Cutting out fabric I can understand, most homes don't have a table big enough!)

Many people here now ask if they should remove shoes when entering someone's home. But its potentially embarrassing arriving at a house with someone else who volunteers to remove shoes, if you weren't expecting that, as you may have smelly feet or holey socks!

[ 15. January 2014, 07:52: Message edited by: Gracious rebel ]

Posted by lily pad (# 11456) on :

Growing up, we mostly wore our shoes in the house but always took them off at our friends' places. Nowadays, I would never expect to keep my shoes on. No one seems to wear their shoes in the house. If it is dry out, I will sometimes ask to keep my shoes, especially if I am wearing sandals. In sandal season, I generally carry a little pair of socks in my purse to wear when in someone's house. It still unnerves me to have people take their sandals off and walk in bare feet in my house. Not sure why, just not what I am used to. No one else seems to mind. [Smile]

I notice that the workmen today have kept footwear on, but have laid cloth over the laminate where they are working.

Posted by churchgeek (# 5557) on :

quote:
Despite the fact that photographs exist of both the late Princess of Wales and the Duke of Cambridge wearing them, even wearing a baseball cap the right way round makes a person look like a prat.

Maybe that's true in Britain, where baseball is less popular.

I'm not a hat person at all, but I can see why some people might wear a baseball hat to protect their eyes from the sun. (Me, I just wear sunglasses.)

As for the shoes thing, I've always worn shoes indoors. We did growing up - having the good sense to wipe your feet and be sure there's nothing you'd be tracking in, of course. We also went without shoes indoors. I tended to wear mine until I was going to bed, or until I wanted to lie down on the couch or something. Nowadays, I wear clogs indoors. I'm not supposed to go barefoot with all the foot problems I have (or so says the doctor). Maybe it's not true for the majority of people, but many of us need our shoes for support and balance! Although if I go into someone's house who feels strongly about it (or for cultural reasons, like my professor and his Japanese family), I will take my shoes off - I just won't stand for extended periods of time.

[forgot to add:]

My two grandmothers were quite different on the shoes thing. One grandmother had white carpeting; she insisted we all take our shoes off when we came in. The other grandma - well, she was married to a farmer who went barefoot outside (even in the fields, plowing in the dirt, etc.), so she bought dark brown carpets for her house, because, she said, it matched the dirt!

[ 18. January 2014, 19:56: Message edited by: churchgeek ]

Posted by Sir Kevin (# 3492) on :

quote:
quote:

Age. It's a generational thing. In the 1960s, in the Camelot days when our President had that fabulous head of Kennedy hair, hats (for men) went out of fashion. We had a whole generation of boys that grew up without them.

This first came up in church about 20 years ago when the youngsters started wearing baseball caps for more than just sporting events. Because their parents grew up not wearing hats, they were never exposed to the "rules" about when you
shouldn't wear a hat. The older folks were aghast when all these teens started wearing baseball caps to church... at least in California.

I am a native Californian and when I was converted into the Roman Catholic faith in my late forties, I once wore my LA Dodgers cap to mass, almost: the associate priest (age 35) removed it personally and handed it to me! I never wear a cap on church grounds and always leave my switched-off cell phone in the car 14 years later! I think people whose phones go off at mass should be excommunicated.

[Mad]

Posted by Galloping Granny (# 13814) on :

I'm afraid that I have an urge when I come across someone with a baseball cap on 'backwards' to ask them 'Where do you buy those caps with the peak at the back?'

A curious thing: paying, say, for petrol at a country town where I'm unlikely ever to pass again, and the cashier ends up with 'See you later'. I feel like replying 'No, you won't.'

GG

Posted by Pulsator Organorum Ineptus (# 2515) on :

I'd have been given a good hiding if I had taken my shoes off in somebody else's house when I was a kid. It would have been considered extremely ill-mannered. The only exception was if you were in wellies.

My parents weren't at all pleased when I started wandering around our house in socks in my teens but they tolerated it.

Let's face it: in the 60's in Britain we had a bath once a week whether we needed it or not, and nobody possessed more than four pairs of socks, two to last the week whilst the other two were in the wash.

quote:
Originally posted by Pulsator Organorum Ineptus:
I'd have been given a good hiding if I had taken my shoes off in somebody else's house when I was a kid. It would have been considered extremely ill-mannered. The only exception was if you were in wellies.

My parents weren't at all pleased when I started wandering around our house in socks in my teens but they tolerated it.

Let's face it: in the 60's in Britain we had a bath once a week whether we needed it or not, and nobody possessed more than four pairs of socks, two to last the week whilst the other two were in the wash.

Whyever would keeping carpets clean be considered rude? [Confused] That's why I take my shoes off inside houses. It's rude to track dirt all over people's nice carpets.

Why would your parents object to you wearing your socks in the house? Were socks only for special occasions? [Confused] It is not good for feet to be in shoes all the time.

quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
quote:

Whyever would keeping carpets clean be considered rude? [Confused] That's why I take my shoes off inside houses. It's rude to track dirt all over people's nice carpets.

Why would your parents object to you wearing your socks in the house? Were socks only for special occasions? [Confused] It is not good for feet to be in shoes all the time.

Because that's how it was among working class people in East Lancs in the 1950's and 60's. My parents weren't being eccentric - they were doing what everybody else did and no doubt what their parents and grandparents had done before them. You would no more take off your shoes in someone else's house than take off your trousers.

There was no question of dirtying carpets: shoes were wiped on at least two doormats, and woe betide the child who was insufficiently fastidious in this respect! Shoes had leather soles and heels, so wiping on a doormat was an effective way of removing dirt.

In the 1950's and early 60's people didn't have nice carpets. They had a patterned carpet square of a dark brown colour. It was rolled up at frequent intervals and taken outside for a good beating and rotated by ninety degrees when put back down so as to even out the wear.

The streets were probably cleaner in those days, too. Women mopped the stone flags outside their house every week (or merely swept if the weather was inclement). I can remember my grandmother keeping watch for a dog that had taken to "cocking its leg" on her section of pavement and chasing it off with the sweeping brush. Your shoes didn't get that dirty just walking on the town's pavements. You would be in bother if you arrived home with muddy shoes.

Posted by Barefoot Friar (# 13100) on :

Down here in the American South, we're proud of our shoes. We have so few of 'em, we want to show 'em off when we have comp'ney. So we put 'em on when we're expectin' folks. And often if we get surprise visitors we'll excuse ourselves briefly and go put on a pair.

Makes it seem more formal, like.

As far as wearing baseball caps, well it's kind of a thing around here. We like the ones with our favorite hunting camo or gun logos, as well as the ones for our favorite college football teams (Roll Tide, buddy!). Those are probably the two most common. It's rare to see one that's an actual baseball team, unless it's a kid playin' little league. We wear 'em indoors and out, except there are quite a few of us who are smart enough to take 'em off at church or during a prayer.

Oh, forgot to add: The accessory du-jure for men is a Mtn Dew bottle. It will either have the soft drink in it, or else will be a spit bottle for chewin' tobacco or (for those who think tobacco use is a sin) sunflower seeds. But no self-respectin' Southern man is far from one.

[ 20. January 2014, 00:59: Message edited by: Barefoot Friar ]

Posted by crunt (# 1321) on :

I live on the equator now (well, a few degres above), and shoes off is universal when entering other people's homes. Previously I was in the far east, and again it was shoes off at home. We often took our shoes off and wore slippers at work, at church and in certain shops (restaurants, photographic studios, fabric and bedding stores for example). However, there were signs on buses exhorting passengers NOT to take off their shoes.

In my home country (NZ) it is usual to take off your shoes in rural homes, but not so much in urban ones. Culturally, of course, practices vary among different groups.

One of the things I like about shoes off inside (apart from the comfort) is knowing who is at home, or who else has dropped by when you arrive at someone's house. In NZ, you can tell by cars in the drive, but in Korea you could tell by the shoes in the porch.

I find it odd when I'm watching movies / TV shows and people are sitting on beds or with their feet up on sofas and they're still wearing shoes.

[edited for grammar]

[ 20. January 2014, 01:15: Message edited by: crunt ]

Posted by Cottontail (# 12234) on :

quote:
quote:
quote:

Because that's how it was among working class people in East Lancs in the 1950's and 60's. My parents weren't being eccentric - they were doing what everybody else did and no doubt what their parents and grandparents had done before them. You would no more take off your shoes in someone else's house than take off your trousers.

There was no question of dirtying carpets: shoes were wiped on at least two doormats, and woe betide the child who was insufficiently fastidious in this respect! Shoes had leather soles and heels, so wiping on a doormat was an effective way of removing dirt.

This chimes with my experience too, which was well into the 1970s and 80s. Wearing just socks around the house was not allowed because it was the days before central heating and fitted carpets: houses were draughty and cold, and not wearing shoes or slippers was a fast track to chilblains. Kids nowadays don't even know what chilblains are!

Besides, little girls wore white socks, which would become incredibly grubby very fast if worn without shoes and never wash pure white again. It was a shameful thing, to have to wear grubby grey socks to school.

quote:
quote:
quote:

In the 1950's and early 60's people didn't have nice carpets. They had a patterned carpet square of a dark brown colour. It was rolled up at frequent intervals and taken outside for a good beating and rotated by ninety degrees when put back down so as to even out the wear.

The streets were probably cleaner in those days, too. Women mopped the stone flags outside their house every week (or merely swept if the weather was inclement). I can remember my grandmother keeping watch for a dog that had taken to "cocking its leg" on her section of pavement and chasing it off with the sweeping brush. Your shoes didn't get that dirty just walking on the town's pavements. You would be in bother if you arrived home with muddy shoes.

It's probably true that the streets were cleaner then - I think keeping shoes on indoors is probably pretty unhygienic now.

quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
quote:
quote:
quote:

This chimes with my experience too, which was well into the 1970s and 80s. Wearing just socks around the house was not allowed because it was the days before central heating and fitted carpets: houses were draughty and cold, and not wearing shoes or slippers was a fast track to chilblains. Kids nowadays don't even know what chilblains are!

Besides, little girls wore white socks, which would become incredibly grubby very fast if worn without shoes and never wash pure white again. It was a shameful thing, to have to wear grubby grey socks to school.

Feet should be barefoot as much as possible when not outside, but I guess people didn't know that then, and houses were too cold for it. What did people have as flooring if not carpet though? [Confused]

The only houses without fitted carpets that I've been in have had very expensive wooden floors or laminate flooring.

Were white socks part of all school uniforms for girls?

Posted by PeteC (# 10422) on :

In answer to what if not carpeting: bare floors, tiled floors, linoleum and scatter rugs.

We took off boots at the door, and immediately put on slippers which had been left there when we booted up to go out.

Shoes would be worn in the house at other seasons, unless Mother yelled at you to put on slippers as she had just washed and waxed the floors, or linoleum.

quote:

They were quite common - it was certainly the case at the schools I went to.

I used to change into slippers when I got home. It's all very well saying everyone should be barefoot as often as possible, it was considered a dirty habit to wander round without your shoes on a floor that people had trodden on. You could pick up any number of germs, and there could be splinters or something.

Posted by M. (# 3291) on :

Yes, always wore white socks to school, up to about 13 or 14 when tights started to be seen (at some stage I remember a fashion for wearing knee length white socks over tights).

It would never occur to me even now to take my shoes off when entering someone's house unless they asked me to, there was a cultural norm I knew about or my shoes were particularly muddy.

Jade, I remember being told at school in the '60's and '70's that we shouldn't wear shoes all the time. Didn't make any difference - no-one takes any notice of things schoolteachers tell you, surely?*

M.
Edited to add: except to pass exams, of course.

[ 20. January 2014, 06:43: Message edited by: M. ]

quote:
What did people have as flooring if not carpet though? [Confused]

There speaks a voice unfamiliar with the cold kiss of lino on bare feet as you scampered from your warm bed on a winter's morning through the house to the one source of heat - the newly lit fire in the kitchen. You needed shoes on at a fairly early stage - otherwise how were you going to get down the yard to the outside privy?

I remember our first carpet (2nd hand). We raced around on it in our socks until we got shouted at.

quote:
Feet should be barefoot as much as possible when not outside, but I guess people didn't know that then, and houses were too cold for it.

You really don't know what chilblains are, do you? [Smile]
quote:
What did people have as flooring if not carpet though? [Confused] The only houses without fitted carpets that I've been in have had very expensive wooden floors or laminate flooring.

We had carpets, but they were not fitted. They went to about a foot from the wall, and the gap thereafter was linoleum or floorboards. Plenty of room for draughts to whistle under the skirting boards.

Key to this is the invention of the vacuum cleaner. Before it came along (and became affordable), carpets had to be removable so they could be beaten outside. Only once hoovers became efficient and commonplace could you have fitted carpets.

Now, of course, fitted carpets are 'common', and the rich - who can afford to heat their utterly sealed and draught-proof houses - have reverted to more 'authentic' wooden floorboards.
quote:

Not just school uniforms. It was the only colour of sock available to little girls, as I recall.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

I grew up in South Africa - us children went barefoot all the time. Except at school, it was a school rule that you had to wear lace up shoes. As soon as we got out of the school gates we tied the laces together and slung the hated shoes round our necks.

I find that among our friends some expect shoes off indoors and some don't mind, so I adjust accordingly. All my family (except me) expect shoes off and have shoe racks by their front doors. I always take slippers to my brother's house as his floors are cold.

We have wooden floors and a dog so it would be unkind to ask folk to remove their shoes!

I am interested as to when tights for little girls became normal. Thick cotton tights were what girls wore most of the time when I was small, along with white ankle socks with or without a lace frill and gingham that matches their school dress.

Oh and I wore those long patterned white socks sometimes but now they're really uncommon.

quote:
I am interested as to when tights for little girls became normal. Thick cotton tights were what girls wore most of the time when I was small, along with white ankle socks with or without a lace frill and gingham that matches their school dress.

Oh and I wore those long patterned white socks sometimes but now they're really uncommon.

We wore tights in the winter and socks in the summer, up to the early 1980s. The socks were almost always the knee-length variety, although I recall occasional white ankle socks.

Posted by Rowen (# 1194) on :

Remote rural Australia. No central heating. Wood, Lino carpets.... Not just my house, but in genial. In winter 2.c inside at night.
No one really cares what we do with our feet, as long as we stay warm, and wet, muddy farm boots stay outside. Shoes, bare feet, socks. Whatever is fine.

Posted by Heavenly Anarchist (# 13313) on :

My childhood bedroom, in the 70s, was bare floorboards, if you walked in bare foot you risked getting splinters! I didn't have a fitted carpet until the early 80s. Shoes were always worn in the house, slippers when in night clothes. And my bedroom was freezing, with no radiator or heater.
I wore white knee high socks until my teens, my old fashioned parents insisted.
I had a South African friend who was always dropping her toddler off at the child minders with no shoes, which was rather frustrating for the minder as she had to pick other children up from school later.

Re chilblains, I grew up in my great-grandmother's house in the 90s and there was no central heating, but a gas fire in the front room. I was always warned about getting chilblains but never got them so never got to find out what they were [Big Grin]

Even though they must be quite unhygienic, I am in the first house I've been in for a while that has a carpeted bathroom and it is much nicer on cold mornings. The tiled kitchen floor is freezing. I naturally tend to go barefoot (just because I prefer it) but regret it when I have to enter the kitchen....

quote:
We had carpets, but they were not fitted. They went to about a foot from the wall, and the gap thereafter was linoleum or floorboards. Plenty of room for draughts to whistle under the skirting boards.

My childhood home was like that when we moved in - square carpets in the centre of the room, and a foot of bare boards around the outside. This outermost foot of boards was stained with a dark wood stain, but the bit under the carpet was natural.
The stairs carpet was a runner up the centre of the stairs, and was held into the risers with carpet rods.

Fitting wall-to-wall carpets was the second thing we did (after installing central heating).

(Jade: My current bathroom has a tile floor with electric underfloor heating on a timer. I'm not going back to unheated bathroom floors.)

Underfloor heating in the bathroom sounds blissful. Alas, it's a student house so I can't change anything like that.

The streets were cleaner? The streets were cleaner! I remember walking home from the library, reading, and I had to look up at frequent intervals to check for dog droppings to make sure I avoided them. The brown sort and the white sort, in those days. Not to mention the old men's spit. I grew up believing that when those who were used to doing that had passed on, the habit would have gone... We had a few years.

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

In the house I lived in as a kid we sometimes had ice forming inside in winter. Shoelessness was discouraged.

Though I went barefoot at home as much as possible. And later in my teens twenties and thirties as well. Can't really nowadays because the flat I live in now, though warmer, isn't that warm (boiler is crap and I need a new one but cant really afford it) has no fitted carpets (cos I hate them and I pulled them up and threw them away) and most of the floor is old and grotty floorboards, and some of it is bare concrete.

quote:

We had all the gap at one side of the living room, the rest, about two and a half feet wide, was linoleum. We grew up as kids with this arrangement. Mum used to tell us off for sliding on the lino in our socks, but did we listen?

I find it odd these days when people have a "front room." A room with the best furniture in that was not lived in. That is despite growing up with this arrangement.

When I lived in the maisonette with one living room, which was my working room, and into which any visitors came directly from the stairs, I felt the need of such a room, which would be tidy.
I haven't managed to get my new living room quite as tidy as a front room, despite having a study, and a sewing room.

Posted by cattyish (# 7829) on :

So, in Australia, I can stamp on the crawling things? I feel so much better about going back there.

Mr C has never understood removing shoes in the house. He also doesn't understand cleaning up after himself. Added to the fact that our dog is now quite an old lady, I have to Insist that guests keep their shoes on. It makes my ladies' group members (English, Korean, Norwegian and Scottish) pretty confused.

When I was visiting Australia I was repeatedly surprised by my hosts' generosity. I didn't know what to give them in return. I came home with beautiful things made for me by lovely people and felt I should be giving them some sort of Scottish items. What's the protocol there?

Cattyish, enquiring.

Posted by A.Pilgrim (# 15044) on :

I'm a shoes-on-indoors person, myself. Unless I've been outside and got them unexpectedly dirty, or if I want to put my feet up on the sofa. Otherwise I feel incompletely dressed - not quite as bad as if I wasn't wearing any trousers, but the same sort of uncomfortable 'not ready for action' feeling. I think I feel a sense of not being in secure connection with the ground if I'm wearing just socks (or slippers, which I absolutely loathe and therefore never ever wear.)

Occasionally I visit people whose practice is to remove outdoor footwear, some don't bother to ask guests, some make polite hints, and I do understand if people have got expensive, easily spoiled carpets (e.g. deep pile cream-coloured) that politeness requires the removal of footwear. But for my own place I'd much prefer tough, hardwearing carpet that takes all the punishment that can be thrown at it - after all, a floor is for walking on, so why put something delicate on the floor that you will damage if you walk on it when fully dressed?.

And I never feel at home in 'shoes-off' houses - I'm always a bit wary that I'm going to spoil something by being there. I usually feel much more at home in a mate's workshop or garage, or shed, and you don't take your shoes off to go in any of those, do you?

Angus

quote:
Originally posted by A.Pilgrim:
I'm a shoes-on-indoors person, myself. Unless I've been outside and got them unexpectedly dirty, or if I want to put my feet up on the sofa. Otherwise I feel incompletely dressed - not quite as bad as if I wasn't wearing any trousers, but the same sort of uncomfortable 'not ready for action' feeling. I think I feel a sense of not being in secure connection with the ground if I'm wearing just socks (or slippers, which I absolutely loathe and therefore never ever wear.)

Occasionally I visit people whose practice is to remove outdoor footwear, some don't bother to ask guests, some make polite hints, and I do understand if people have got expensive, easily spoiled carpets (e.g. deep pile cream-coloured) that politeness requires the removal of footwear. But for my own place I'd much prefer tough, hardwearing carpet that takes all the punishment that can be thrown at it - after all, a floor is for walking on, so why put something delicate on the floor that you will damage if you walk on it when fully dressed?.

And I never feel at home in 'shoes-off' houses - I'm always a bit wary that I'm going to spoil something by being there. I usually feel much more at home in a mate's workshop or garage, or shed, and you don't take your shoes off to go in any of those, do you?

Angus

Ahh but soft, plush carpets feel so nice underfoot if you are barefoot or even just in socks. I find wearing shoes all the time to be uncomfortable though.

quote:
I do understand if people have got expensive, easily spoiled carpets (e.g. deep pile cream-coloured) that politeness requires the removal of footwear. But for my own place I'd much prefer tough, hardwearing carpet that takes all the punishment that can be thrown at it - after all, a floor is for walking on, so why put something delicate on the floor that you will damage if you walk on it when fully dressed?.

something to keep in mind if you ever visit here (or similar places) is that while the practicality of it may have been the reason this custom came about, taking shoes off isn't just about cleanliness at this point - it's about respect.

Lots of rural AK homes are far from "delicate". most people would say something like "sturdy" and "practical" instead. But wearing your shoes in the house here denotes a sort of looking down on those who live there. like you said above, you'd wear your shoes in the garage or shed... and the implication is that you think that person's house is lowly or filthy. So if you're over this way, assume shoes off unless you're told different, or you risk insult.

also, on that note - don't refuse offered food. small amounts is good, but you try everything. otherwise you insult the cook. allergies are a legit out, though. or alcoholism if you're refusing a drink.

since the shoe tangent is determined not to die, I have to ask for you indoor shoe wearers - what about babies? they crawl all over and stick everything in their mouths. surely you don't think wiping your shoes is clean enough when there's a baby scooting by on the floor?

PS - as for splinters - surely you sand your floors, if not finish them?

[ 21. January 2014, 01:58: Message edited by: comet ]

Posted by churchgeek (# 5557) on :

I work in a church which is cruciform and has the sanctuary in the crossing. There are choir aisles that lead into the "quire" (as we spell it for some reason), and since people can access the chancel and sanctuary from there, as well as the organ console, we generally keep it roped off. Also, there are curtains we usually keep open at the head of each choir aisle.

Here's what I find odd: how many people open the sanctuary gates (or worse, step over them or the altar rail), climb over the rope, or, when we have the curtains closed, walk right through.

What could possibly indicate that one should stay out of an area more than closing a gate, roping it off, and/or closing a curtain? If they think they can just ignore those barriers, what do they expect us to do if we want them to stay out of a certain space?

I'm sure they just don't care, and think they can do as they please because they're clever enough to think of transgressing a boundary (why doesn't everyone think of it?). I not only find it odd, I get really irked by that behavior.

ETA: Related - people who stand in a doorway, completely blocking it, either to look into a space they (think they) can't enter, or to have a conversation.

[ 21. January 2014, 06:44: Message edited by: churchgeek ]

quote:
quote:
I do understand if people have got expensive, easily spoiled carpets (e.g. deep pile cream-coloured) that politeness requires the removal of footwear. But for my own place I'd much prefer tough, hardwearing carpet that takes all the punishment that can be thrown at it - after all, a floor is for walking on, so why put something delicate on the floor that you will damage if you walk on it when fully dressed?.

something to keep in mind if you ever visit here (or similar places) is that while the practicality of it may have been the reason this custom came about, taking shoes off isn't just about cleanliness at this point - it's about respect.

Lots of rural AK homes are far from "delicate". most people would say something like "sturdy" and "practical" instead. But wearing your shoes in the house here denotes a sort of looking down on those who live there. like you said above, you'd wear your shoes in the garage or shed... and the implication is that you think that person's house is lowly or filthy. So if you're over this way, assume shoes off unless you're told different, or you risk insult.

also, on that note - don't refuse offered food. small amounts is good, but you try everything. otherwise you insult the cook. allergies are a legit out, though. or alcoholism if you're refusing a drink.

since the shoe tangent is determined not to die, I have to ask for you indoor shoe wearers - what about babies? they crawl all over and stick everything in their mouths. surely you don't think wiping your shoes is clean enough when there's a baby scooting by on the floor?

PS - as for splinters - surely you sand your floors, if not finish them?

My parent's council house had bare floorboards upstairs, presumably sanded when fitted but the occasional splinter still happened. No other finish to them. This was in the 70s and we were quite poor.
My two children survived the floors without any problems despite the wearing of shoes (and one of them was a bottom shuffler who didn't walk for 18 months).

I'm a shoes off sort of person myself, for my own home and when visiting. My best friend and most frequent visitor shares Angus' uncomfortable feeling of not being ready for action if shoeless. I have bought a pair of moccasins with outdoorsy sort of soles for him to wear in the house. Obviously this solution doesn't work with casual visitors, but I can't quite visualise what they might need to be ready for. I have very effective door locks. Intruding burglars are unlikely.

Posted by A.Pilgrim (# 15044) on :

quote:
... So if you're over this way, assume shoes off unless you're told different, or you risk insult.

I am so utterly relieved that I live in a society in which not being hungry is a perfectly acceptable reason for refusing food, and I don't have to get involved in the emotionally manipulative minefield of 'I've offered you this food, and if you don't want it, it must be because there's something wrong with it, so I'm going to get the hump'. Why on earth should I be coerced into to eating something I don't want? Surely politeness requires the avoidance of such coercion?

I much prefer the honest, open, unmanipulative transaction of 'Would you like something to eat?' 'No thanks, I'm not hungry.' 'OK, that's fine'

Angus

Posted by Jane R (# 331) on :

Politeness requires you to conform to local custom so as not to upset your hosts unnecessarily, surely?

We have slippers to wear in the house. Most guests take their shoes off at the door - it seems to be a Yorkshire thing but very practical if you have small children. I don't like to walk about in the house barefoot, but my youngest sister (only four years younger than me) is quite happy to. I suspect this has something to do with the date when my parents bought bedroom carpets; I remember having lino in my bedroom when I was very small.

<tangent> The scene in Ring 2 where the heroine comes into the hotel, hears the small child crying in his room (eek! Emergency! Is he being attacked by a Thing?) and PAUSES TO CHANGE INTO INDOOR SLIPPERS before running upstairs always makes me smile. <\tangent>

I don't remember pavements being any cleaner when I was a child either. As Penny S says, it was before dog owners were expected to clean up after their pets so as well as all the usual fag ends and sweet wrappers you had to dodge the dogshit. There wasn't so much debris from fast food meals, though.

quote:

I much prefer the honest, open, unmanipulative transaction of 'Would you like something to eat?'

Or as we say in Scotland: You'll have had your tea.

Firenze:
quote:
Or as we say in Scotland: You'll have had your tea.
Now that's manipulative in the other direction [Biased]

For those of you who offer slippers to your guests, are they brand new slippers for each person who walks into your house? Or are people forced to wear slippers that have been worn by someone else? How do you know sizes?

I like to wear my own shoes -- they fit me, they're comfortable, they are chosen to match what I'm wearing. (Sometimes my skirt or slacks are too long to wear with flats -- if I were forced to wear slippers I'd trip over the hems.)

I don't *expect* people to take their shoes off at the door. I wouldn't even raise my eyebrows at them if they didn't. All I am saying is that where I live, people usually remove their shoes in the hall if visiting someone else and wander around in their stockinged feet for the duration of their stay.

Weekend guests (by definition, Not From Around Here) sometimes bring their own slippers with them, but if they don't I am happy for them to keep their shoes on provided they haven't stepped in anything disgusting recently.

Taking shoes off at the door might be something people do when they have small children; most of the locals who visit our house have children the same age as ours.

If you lived somewhere like Japan, a good host might provide slippers for guests. Of course, a good guest would bring his or her own... [Two face]

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
I don't remember pavements being any cleaner when I was a child either. As Penny S says, it was before dog owners were expected to clean up after their pets so as well as all the usual fag ends and sweet wrappers you had to dodge the dogshit. There wasn't so much debris from fast food meals, though.

Now that's something you don't see anymore, white dog poo. Mess that had been lying there it had turned white. Cleaning doggy doos from your shoes was once a common thing to do.

Without going too far off in a tangent, I think that it was a dietary difference involved in poo colour, not length of lying there. And in Victorian times, the white sort, called "pure" was collected for use in, I think, fulling of cloth.

If anyone wishes to pursue that particular tangent, they are best advised to do so offline. They may wish to read "Mayhew's London", a quite detailed Victorian social history which has, among other things, an entire chapter on the "pure" collectors (who used their bare hands, by the way).

We now return you to your thread.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

We had stone flags on the floor - one old rectory those stone flags were recycled tombstones, with observable inscriptions, and quarry tiles. Bare feet not recommended.

As I recall, there were three levels of luxury when it came to the area around the carpet square. The lowest level was bare boards, usually stained where they were exposed. The next level was lino. The third level was to lay some cheap carpet around the edge of the room.

Why didn't my parents want me wandering around the house in socks? Because:

1. they probably smelled given 1960's standards of hygeine,

2. you didn't want other people seeing the holes and/or darning in them,

3. it wore them out too fast,

4. they were underwear, and it wasn't the done thing to show that.

Hell, my dad not only didn't take his shoes off when he came home from work, he sat in his suit until it was time to go to bed. I can't remember getting changed when I got home from school; I probably kept my school uniform on until bedtime, tie and all!

We had one set of underwear - we were sewn into it in September an' that were that until May...

That said, the conditions I grew up with were chillier and more comfortless than today. You had less choice of clothes, they were harder to launder (remember wringers? And pulleys? And woollens drying in layers of newspaper under the hearth rug?) and doubling up underwear and nightwear was not unknown.

My mother remembered when her house upgraded to the luxury of a cement floor (instead of beaten earth). Even then, the demarcation between indoors and outdoors was not that marked.

Can I ask what the 60s standards of hygiene were? Were they really that different?

Interesting about the underwear thing - nowadays most women at least have at least one pair of fun patterned socks, it's seen as normal to show them.

quote:
Can I ask what the 60s standards of hygiene were? Were they really that different?

Interesting about the underwear thing - nowadays most women at least have at least one pair of fun patterned socks, it's seen as normal to show them.

No showers. No deodorants.

You had a bath once a week. Other than that, ablutions extended only to washing your hands and face and cleaning your teeth.

People changed their underwear, shirts and socks only once a week, or maybe twice if you were particularly fastidious.

Unless the PE teacher made us, we didn't have a shower after games or PE and we certainly didn't have fresh clothes to change into. I can remember our English teacher complaining about the stench in a classroom on one occasion after we had had PE. She must have mentioned it to the PE teacher because he made us shower for a while after that.

The ever-present smell of sweat was masked to a considerable degree by the ubiquitous fug of cigarette smoke.

quote:
quote:

No showers. No deodorants.

You had a bath once a week. Other than that, ablutions extended only to washing your hands and face and cleaning your teeth.

People changed their underwear, shirts and socks only once a week, or maybe twice if you were particularly fastidious.

Unless the PE teacher made us, we didn't have a shower after games or PE and we certainly didn't have fresh clothes to change into. I can remember our English teacher complaining about the stench in a classroom on one occasion after we had had PE. She must have mentioned it to the PE teacher because he made us shower for a while after that.

The ever-present smell of sweat was masked to a considerable degree by the ubiquitous fug of cigarette smoke.

Surely it must have varied according to class though? I can't imagine very stylish people changing their underwear weekly!

The stench must have been horrendous.

quote:
The stench must have been horrendous.

Fun fact!

when a group of people spend a long time in the backcountry, they all grow smelly at the same rate and it cancels out the stench. essentially, if we all stink together our noses are blind to it.

BUT - one jackass goes and gets a quick bath in a creek and suddenly we can all smell each other and ourselves.

the secret is, nobody bathe. and when one does, we all do. So the weekly bath routine would work fine assuming we all bathed on the same day.

this message brought to you by rural Alaska. Come visit soon!

quote:
... if we all stink together our noses are blind to it ...

Is that the same principle that chicken with 40 cloves of garlic is fine as long as everybody's having it?

[Big Grin]

Growing up, we only had baths once a week as well, but we washed more than our hands and faces - did no-one else have the 'all over wash'? And I certainly had to change my underwear every day (at least, as a young teenager, as I remember, I don't remember as a younger child).

Ah! That's brought the school knickers to mind! We had to wear horrible navy blue knickers as part of our uniform: most of us wore other knickers underneath (which were changed daily) and just had a couple of pairs of navy blues to wear on top.

M.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

And I thought the food disaster thread was nauseating.

Posted by bib (# 13074) on :

We came to live in Australia after the War and my mother said she found several custome odd. One of the funniest was when the whole family was asked to a neighbour's house and it was suggested that Mum 'bring a plate'. Mum thought there must be a post war shortage of plates and so took 4 as we were a family of four. She was very embarrassed to discover that 'bring a plate' in Australia means to bring a plate of food to share.

quote:

Back to what I was saying about effort. Water was heated by a boiler - which often meant lighting a fire. Or, for the more technically advanced, an immersion heater. It took time, and there was a limited amount.

None of my primary schools had showers - and you didn't go to the (outside) toilets unless you really had to.

And you probably did change clothes less frequently (see laundry, above).

Not everybody had a bathroom in their house. It’s difficult to imagine a house without a bath or shower these days, but even into the Sixties there were still homes that didn’t have them, though by then it was the norm. The area where my grandmother lived in Dublin had houses without bathrooms, and outside toilets. I’ve heard this was true of Paris at that time as well. Showers were considered Continental or American or something you might find in a hotel. You could get a handheld shower attachment - one of those hosey things you fitted over the taps, but baths were the norm for those that had bathrooms.

It didn’t mean that people weren’t clean, though. Obviously some weren’t, but when I stayed with my grandmother, each morning a kettle would be boiled on the range downstairs, a large jug with a lid filled, and the good old Edwardian system of the basin and jug of hot water in your room came into play and believe me, you were scrupulous about it. We were thoroughly clean and well presented with, I might add, daily changes of clothes.

Cigarette smoke did mask a lot of lack of personal hygiene though, and men generally refused to use deodorant. Some did wash every day but there was a certain odour to public places, transport, pubs, etc.

I grew up in the fifties and sixties. Although baths were on Saturday night (unless you had been sick) from youngest to oldest -in our house there was often a change of water after 4 kids - my mother would have been mortified if we had been considered unclean. My dad worked hard and every night when he came home he would do a sink bath in the kitchen with Sunlight bar soap and a grease remover (pumice soap). Even now, although he has been dead for over 45 years, I still remember that combination of smells.

It wasn't until I had a place of my own, with the cost of hot water included in my rent, that I had more than 2 or three baths a week. But that was the early 70s, and by then it was an entirely different world.

Friday night was bath night in our house. The church started a new club for kids on a Friday evening, but my sisters and I could not go because it was our bath and hairwash night.

We changed our knickers and socks daily, but shirts were worn for several days - I had 2 school uniform shirts (this was in the 70's when I was at grammar school) and one did for mon-wed and the other one did for thu-fri. PE kit was washed once per half term - only brought it home in the holidays. When I started to wear a bra it had to last a week, just like the vest I wore previously.

I still don't change my clothes nearly as often as the teenager in the house, who seems to put everything in the wash after one wearing, even trousers. This seems a bit excessive to me!

I was a working class child of the 70s but we were rather old fashioned as my parents were older and I have 7 siblings. Bath day was Sunday and us 3 youngest were sent to my Grandmother's for our baths as there wasn't enough water for all of us at home. We took it in turns with the same bath water. I'm sure my older teenage sisters had more regular baths though and they certainly washed their hair a lot [Smile] knickers were changed daily though not vests and school uniform was worn for days at a time. By the 80s when I was 10+ I was having more regular baths, my sisters having left home and freed up space. I can't be sure how often my 4 brothers bathed though!
It's a world apart from the daily baths/ showers of my own children.

Posted by Ian Climacus (# 944) on :

Birthdays... I've recently become re-addicted to Scandinavian TV and I notice the Danes seem to love their flags at birthdays -- they are everywhere. This short clip shows a few, but I am interested in that Trumpet Song: does anyone know if it, or made-up songs, are popular in Denmark/Scandinavia? Makes Happy Birthday seem rather dull. [Smile]

Ian,
who also left his shoes on at home until I had Asian/Middle Eastern friends...

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

quote:
Originally posted by bib:
We came to live in Australia after the War and my mother said she found several custome odd. One of the funniest was when the whole family was asked to a neighbour's house and it was suggested that Mum 'bring a plate'. Mum thought there must be a post war shortage of plates and so took 4 as we were a family of four. She was very embarrassed to discover that 'bring a plate' in Australia means to bring a plate of food to share.

The Aussie branch of my family tells the same story!

BAth night???

We had plenty of baths, just no electric light (for a while) and definitely no hot water.

The first parsonage was "electrified" in the days before the national grid and the wiring hadn't been re-done: at the time it was installed someone had decided that light wasn't necessary in the bathroom and it was still like that in the 1950s...

HOT WATER????? We had not one but TWO boilers, neither of which produced anything better than tepid and, since the bathroom was unheated...

As the youngest of a large family I was very good at having a cold bath in a freezing bathroom in double-quick time - and although I now have hot water I still get through the morning ablutions fairly swiftly.

Posted by Twilight (# 2832) on :

It is funny how a slight change of word choice can leave us befuddled isn't it? In America we say "bring a dish" or more often, "bring a covered dish," and everyone knows it means "bring food," but "bring a plate," might have left me stumped, too.

Even in the sticks of West Virginia in the 40's and 50's my mother made us all take baths every night and change our underwear. What we seemed to do wrong was wear our underpants under our pajamas. If one of us was sick and the doctor
was coming we had to take those underpants off before he arrived and shook his head over it.

During the war (WWII) my father was stationed in Georgia. They lived off post in a duplex, renting from the woman on the other side who complained about all the daily bathing and supposed, out loud, that it was just one more odd thing that Yankees do.

I find it extremely odd that English families sometimes had sod floors in the early 20th century as well as no indoor plumbing. My grandmother may not have had flush toilets when she was a cattle rancher after university 100 years ago before she was married, but the rest of my grandparents lived in Los Angeles and they certainly did!

I grew up in the 1950s and 1960s in an upper middle class family in Pasadena, California. My father, brother, sister and I took daily showers. I think my mother preferred a bath. We had three baths in the house: the one in the bathroom between my room and my brother's also had an integrated shower. My parents
bathroom had a separate shower and the one adjacent to the maid's room downstairs had only a bath. There was also a WC in the upstairs hall.

Although we did not shower after PE in grammar school, I played NFL-style football in secondary school and showers were mandatory for all the young men after practice.

(Your school, if it was in the US, may have had career-block of auto shop but mine, Blair HS, also had career-block of football. Two of my old football buddies had short careers in the NFL as did the strength and training coach we hired after winning the California Interscholastic Football championship in 1969.)

My family wasn't really wealthy although the house was fairly large and in the best neighbourhood in the city. My parents and I drove ordinary cars such as Fords and Chevrolets. I have owned about ten Fords since I was 16. My paternal grandfather had a Ford which I indirectly inherited even though he was a top executive at the gas company. My grandmother got a Buick in 1962 instead of a Cadillac to replace her 1956 Lincoln because the Buick had a bigger engine! I still drive a Ford...

I'm pretty sure we washed quite often in the 60s!

And almost all urban houses in England had wooden floors in the 1960s. Just like they did in the 1860s. And just as they still do now.

Purpose-built flats (rarer in England than in most developed countries - including Scotland - but much more common now than they were before the war) are likely to have concrete floors.

Most new houses now have masonry walls and wooden floors on wooden joists. Same as in Victorian times. We tend not to use frame-and-cladding construction for lowrise residential buildings, there was a brief fashion for it in the 60s and 70s but its now almost entirely vanished. Fits well with the similarly complete triumph of pressurised hot-water central heating and combi boilers. You want high thermal inertia which saves fuel and money because the radiators heat the walls which stay warm for a while.

Frame-built houses cost a lot more to keep warm, but can be heated (and cooled) faster by hot air systems. Also they need better insulation than most of our houses have. We don't have air conditioning in private houses (mainly because we don't need it) so less need for good seals at windows and doors. Masonry walls help in hot weather as well, if there is no aircon. (Can make things worse if there is aircon though)

It became mandatory for flats to have concrete floors in the early 60s, the year after my last home was built - hence the problem when my downstairs neighbours turned the gas central heating (for which the place was not designed) up high, warping my floorboards. We never had noises in the summer.

I am now in a frame built property with tile cladding - not clay tiles, but some sort of thin composition stuff on top of space between studs. (I know this because I had a look when my new double glazing was installed.) If ken has any ideas about the insulation of such places, I would like to know them - though the amount of glass, which is well insulated, is about half of each wall. The top floor, under a flat roof, particularly needs something on the ceilings. The heating is warm air circulation, gas fired. Being mid terrace, I don't seem to need it on very much!

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
I find it extremely odd that English families sometimes had sod floors in the early 20th century as well as no indoor plumbing.

Oi! don't knock it, those roundhouses were cool. It used to be nice coming home. You'd open the door and there'd be a flurry of hens around your ankles to greet you, along with the savoury smell of whatever my mother would be cooking in the cauldron over the central fire, and grandad would be working on carving one of his lovely wooden items. He was quite a craftsman and could make a pretty good spear handle with all the decorations you could want.

And if you lived in one of those fancy lakeside crannog developments, of course there was indoor plumbing! That hole in the floor over there behind the bear pelt.

[Killing me]

Bear pelts? You were lucky! We had to make do
with frost-dried carp skins.

And remember ironing? My Mum was not into ironing socks or towels but sheets, yes. I don't think my daughter has an iron; I have few garments that need 'touching up'.
From my facebook page via The Real Hoosewives of Glasgow City:
Laundry schedule: Sort - today; wash - later; fold - eventually; iron - Ha Ha Ha!

A weekly bath night and in between, a face wash, though I know an 'allover wash' also came into the picture. At boarding school in the mid forties we had baths twice a week and washed our hair once; we sometimes had a shower after sports, when I think seniors went first and there wasn't any hot water for the rest.
There was an ad (in newspapers? women's magazines?) in about the late forties: 'Are you a change daily girl?'
A friend tells how her new husband was surprised to find that she showered everyday; he'd got used to that when a niece came to stay and showered several times a day.
Wooden houses are still more common here than brick/concrete but now they are insulated or retro-fitted: ceilings, underfloor, and walls, and increasingly with double glazing. Our 1970s house is on a concrete slab but we fitted pink bats in the ceiling; they should be replaced but now as superannuitants we couldn't afford it or move 40-odd years of accumulated stuff up there.
I remember an outdoor toilet in the ageing schoolhouse where we lived in 1940 (and when the inspector came round my Dad kicked the lower board outside and his foot went through). That house would probably have had a coal range with a wet back to heat water, and open fires for heating; I don't know when electric heaters reached us. I know that Dad, headmaster of a small country school, bought Mum a Vactric vacuum cleaner and a Beatty washing machine – it was depression time but his pay was relatively good and Mum's health was poor.
When we built this house in 1969 we had an open fire, a good electric hot-water system, and electric panel heaters; we soon put a log-fire in, but now we enjoy an efficient heat pump in the living room (the bedroom isn't heated) which is an efficient air conditioner on hot days in the summer.

GG

The first party I got invited to after moving to the uk I asked if I should bring a plate.I got some very strange looks.

Shower after sport at school - definitely, but ours only had plumbing for cold...

But then the summer was designated the 'swimming term' and I have hideous memories of being made to swim when it took real force to break the ice on the foot bath [Eek!]

School swimming when the pool was cold and the teachers are too bust trying to coax the timid into the water to notice the kids with cramp struggling to keep afloat. I remember it well.

We had to have showers after PE and games, observed by the PE teacher - we hated it. No curtains or anything. Once in a while (OK, a month) we could avoid it by uttering the magic words "usual reason, wash", and the teacher would enter the results in a register. Presumably a tick for shower and W for wash. Presumably tracking our wellbeing. It felt darned intrusive. And we had doubts about the teacher's interest in observation. And back then, how could one complain that we didn't like the way Miss Soandso looked at us? (We were uneducated about LGBT matters, but she could have done her supervision without actually looking towards the showers. Count us all in, count us all out and check our backs were wet. At the very least, she was insensitive.)

Posted by Twilight (# 2832) on :

She sounds just like my gym teacher, bless her heart!

We (baby boomer class) had about 40 girls in senior gym and yet, almost everyday, the scheduled activity was basketball, requiring only 10 girls. It was never any problem, though, I always got to play, in fact we often had trouble finding 10 girls who could play, because the other 30 all had the biological excuse every day of the month. I found that odd.

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
...And we had doubts about the teacher's interest in observation. And back then, how could one complain that we didn't like the way Miss Soandso looked at us? (We were uneducated about LGBT matters, but she could have done her supervision without actually looking towards the showers. Count us all in, count us all out and check our backs were wet. At the very least, she was insensitive.)

Are you sure her name wasn't Miss Smith? We had the same concern about her.

No, don't think so, it was far less ordinary, and I have complete failure of recall. She had a group of favourites, and fencing club was regarded as something no-one would join unless they wanted to be part of that group.

Baths became more regular as central heating spread to us ordinary people, but in winter in a house with only a coal fire in the downstairs rooms, baths were weekly events. There was also the cost of the water and the sheer difficulty of heating that much water

Unless you have lived without heating the horror of undressing completely in winter cannot be imagined, wealthy people who could afford heated bathrooms (and the cost of the hot water) have always had more frequent baths

As to going without shoes – which I often do in my own home, I am always told off by the doctor as I am diabetic and have to look after my feet – horror tales are told of people who went shoeless got splinters/bangs/cuts and ended up with amputations, loss of sensation….

and yes we had enforced shower after PE - it was what had to happen after we were sweaty. It must have been some sort of prevailing wisdom at the time about it being healthy.. [Frown]

One of the changing rooms had a sunken bath of curious dimensions, about seven foot long, two and a half wide and one and a half deep. I never saw it used, but word had it that the physics mistress had used it to demonstrate Archimedes' eureka moment. We looked forward to a repeat performance, but this never happened. Someone must have objected.

Posted by Abigail (# 1672) on :

Showers after PE/Games were completely unknown at my secondary school in the second half of the '60s. We changed into white Aertex shirts for PE. In the first year we just wore our navy-blue school knickers with them, but after that we wore gym skirts which we had made ourselves in needlework class. After the lesson we just changed back into our school uniform. It must have got a bit whiffy at times, but I don't really remember. It seemed perfectly acceptable at the time.

As for baths at home... yes it was once a week for me too until 1969 when we moved from a flat in an old freezing cold house with a shared bathroom two floors up to a new modern flat with CENTRAL HEATING AND A BATHROOM OF OUR OWN!!! I still remember the excitement.

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Abigail:
Showers after PE/Games were completely unknown at my secondary school in the second half of the '60s. We changed into white Aertex shirts for PE.

In my (quite posh, boys-only) school we showered after Rugby and, I think, Swimming but not after Gym. This was partly because changing, the class itself, and re-changing all had to be done within 40 minutes.

PE showers were ridiculous. We used to dash through as quickly as we could in order not to get wet, while the teacher stood there watching us with a faint grin on her face.

quote:
We changed into white Aertex shirts for PE. In the first year we just wore our navy-blue school knickers with them...

You didn't go to my school, did you? We hated that - you were only allowed to wear your gym skirt over your knickers if you had your period, then everybody knew. Also, on our way to the gym we had to go barefoot. I remember the soles of my feet being black by the time we got back. The Aertex and knickers hugely embarrassed most of the self-conscious under-14s.

[ 25. January 2014, 15:38: Message edited by: Ariel ]

While not about showering etc it's in a similar area. A little while ago I started using alcohol gel after the peace. As a hospital worker we use masses of the stuff and have continual reminders of hand hygiene and the thought of all those hands and what's on them then putting something in our mouths [Ultra confused]

But I've managed for years before as have my family, and to my knowledge we're none the worse for it!

I'm a bit embarrassed to do it though and try to do it as unnoticeably as possible cos I don't want anyone to be offended although I'm a little less self conscious than I was. I've never seen anyone else using though. Am I the only one?!

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
This was partly because changing, the class itself, and re-changing all had to be done within 40 minutes.

Monday mornings I went to school with a swimsuit on under my clothes. We had the duration of a bus ride to the Ormeau Baths to get into a shoes/bathers/gym slip configuration, ready for the run across the pavement from the bus to entrance. Then another couple of minutes in a cubicle to dump your stuff before emerging for - in my case - fairly pointless splashing about in the shallow end, clutching a float. Then five minutes to struggle out of wet costume and get sufficiently dressed to do the reverse run to the bus, arriving back for the next lesson, damp, untidy and smelling strongly of chlorine.

Probably why I never really learnt to swim.

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
Showers after PE/Games were completely unknown at my secondary school in the second half of the '60s. We changed into white Aertex shirts for PE.

In my (quite posh, boys-only) school we showered after Rugby and, I think, Swimming but not after Gym. This was partly because changing, the class itself, and re-changing all had to be done within 40 minutes.
In my school (girls grammar school) it was ONLY after gym that we showered, not after netball or hockey or any outside sports (where we might have got muddy). I always thought this was because there was just one set of showers and only one class could be using the gym at a time, so there would always be capacity in the showers for one class. But several classes at a time might be doing games outside, so there would be competition for the showers. That's the only reason that occurred to me anyway, it didn't make much sense otherwise.
We had a shower register just as someone else described, and apart from the 'monthly' reason, the other standard way of getting out of showering was to say you had forgotten your towel. But I seem to recall that if this happened three times in a term you got a detention or something.

Posted by Tree Bee (# 4033) on :

The other way was to have a verruca and have your Mum write a note in your excuse book. ( I'd forgotten about them till now!) My verruca meant I got out of showers for a long time.

Yes, I had dermatitis on my foot and that kept me off swimming for weeks (and allowed me to wear strictly non-regulation sandals to school!) I had to bathe my feet twice a day in Permanganate and they slowly turned purplish-brown!

Back to showers: the Games Master would sometimes stand outside the changing-room door and, as you left, check if your hair was wet. If it wasn't, you had to go back and shower properly (and risk missing the school bus).

[ 25. January 2014, 17:57: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

quote:
While not about showering etc it's in a similar area. A little while ago I started using alcohol gel after the peace. As a hospital worker we use masses of the stuff and have continual reminders of hand hygiene and the thought of all those hands and what's on them then putting something in our mouths [Ultra confused]

But I've managed for years before as have my family, and to my knowledge we're none the worse for it!

I'm a bit embarrassed to do it though and try to do it as unnoticeably as possible cos I don't want anyone to be offended although I'm a little less self conscious than I was. I've never seen anyone else using though. Am I the only one?!

Our vicar uses it after the peace before touching the elements..

Chocoholic

If you really feel unable to touch a communion wafer after the Peace then the solution is simple - you present for communion and just open your mouth.

I was astonished to read about your use of hand gel: if I saw this in someone with whom I'd just exchanged the SoP I'd be mortally offended.

Posted by birdie (# 2173) on :

I think I'd just assume they had some sort of immune problem I didn't know about. We were (for us) unbelievably switched on about this sort of thing when younger offspring was pre- heart surgery. I'm sure people who didn't know the situation thought we were really uptight.

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
I was astonished to read about your use of hand gel: if I saw this in someone with whom I'd just exchanged the SoP I'd be mortally offended.

I know, that's why I do it as discretely as possible. I don't want to offend anyone.
[Hot and Hormonal]
I'm not a great one for receiving on the tongue, but even if I did would still feel my hands needed a clean. I have had weeks where I have run out / left it at home so receive with my left hand.

When I was at secondary school (all girls' comprenensive/state school in the early 00s) we didn't shower unless after swimming (and as a non-swimmer I didn't swim), this was to cut time.

quote:

I'm not a great one for receiving on the tongue, but even if I did would still feel my hands needed a clean.

Out of interest, do you also sanitize your hands between tucking your chair in and eating your lunch? Or between greeting your friends in the church hall and getting to grips with a choccie hob nob?

I reckon people use hand-sanitisers too much, for two reasons: (a) if we kill all the bugs our immune systems will forget how to fight them; and (b) the smell of some of them makes my eyes water.

[ 26. January 2014, 03:03: Message edited by: piglet ]

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

quote:
the secret is, nobody bathe. and when one does, we all do. So the weekly bath routine would work fine assuming we all bathed on the same day.

this message brought to you by rural Alaska. Come visit soon!

Worked well, I believe, for Queen Elizabeth I

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:

I'm not a great one for receiving on the tongue, but even if I did would still feel my hands needed a clean.

Out of interest, do you also sanitize your hands between tucking your chair in and eating your lunch? Or between greeting your friends in the church hall and getting to grips with a choccie hob nob?
Most of the time where I eat I don't need to, we have chairs round the side of our staff room, if I ever go to the canteen whatever I get I'm using cutlery for.
With a name like mine you think I greet people before having a bickie?! No no no, I'm first in line, no one to greet
[Biased] but I don't shake hands with people when I do (no one does, we say hello!).

Hand shaking during the peace was banned during the swine flu outbreak a few years ago and hand hygiene has massively cut hospital infection rates. At work we not only have to wash/sanitise our hands but do it in a certain way.

Piglet, I do agree, same with antibacterial house cleaners, I was bought up without 'em! I suppose frequent videos/teaching etc about bug transmission rubs off and having a household member who does need protecting from stuff means I want to avoid getting sick myself and passing it on.

Choccie (beginning to wish she hadn't started this)

Given the general trend of the thread heretofore, we could shortly be on to foot washing.... (Do you wash your own feet, or wait for a passing pope?)

Posted by Meerkat (# 16117) on :

What I find odd here in the south-east of the UK is that when (a considerable number of people, but obviously not everyone) people in a small group decide to go out for lunch or 'coffee', they invariably go to a 'Garden Centre', as against a pub; restaurant / cafe or the local Sta*bocks or the like.

Mrs. Kat and her mother meet once a week and go out for a drive and then it approaches midday. "Shall we have lunch?" "OK, where shall we go ". "Let's go to Wibbledore's Garden Centre". Why? There's a perfectly lovely little cafe about half a mile away!

Would you go to a restaurant to buy plants or garden tools?

I never buy plants. If somebody gives me flowers, I give them to my wife. I never try to grow roses. I rarely water my orange tree. It needs a good trimming and an electric drip-watering system. I cannot be bothered to go out in the back garden on a regular basis!

quote:
Originally posted by Meerkat:

Mrs. Kat and her mother meet once a week and go out for a drive and then it approaches midday. "Shall we have lunch?" "OK, where shall we go ". "Let's go to Wibbledore's Garden Centre". Why? There's a perfectly lovely little cafe about half a mile away!

Does the cafe have on site parking?

I can think of at least one large garden centre hereabouts where I'm not sure the plants aren't in a minority. There's not only the cafe/restaurant, but the farm shop and the play area and the butterfly world and an aquarium and the section selling floral tea towels and twee china. They aim to be Destinations - offering you lots more to spend money on than just a slice of quiche and a salad.

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
I reckon people use hand-sanitisers too much, for two reasons: (a) if we kill all the bugs our immune systems will forget how to fight them; and (b) the smell of some of them makes my eyes water.

Yes. I think a lot of illness and allergy is due to over-sanitised conditions. 'Tho I do tend to wear gloves on public transport to stop me catching a cold.

(sez me - who spends two days a week in a class of 35 small children, none of whom know how to cover their mouths when they sneeze!)

They should forget about sanitised hands and sanitise the taps. Will someone not invent a self sanitising tap?

I find those "Now wash your hands signs sometimes found in pub and work toilets odd.

Let me explain. After using the toilet and cleaning yourself and adjusting your clothing you wash your hands. But it isn't that simple:

How can that be hygienic?

For the garden centre thing, I go there fairly often for coffee or lunch, it has a fabulous restaurant with really nice food and yummy cakes. It also has a green grocers and bakery so is convenient to pick up some locally grown produce. It's also present to have a look around at the plants etc.

For the tap thing, I know what you mean although more and more switch off automatically. The thing I don't get is in a few places I've seen anti microbial coat hooks. Why?!

[ 26. January 2014, 12:43: Message edited by: Chocoholic ]

I think the garden centres may sometimes have been marginally cheaper - one of my local ones uses veggies from their own site (but has had an attack of accountants and reduced the range of foods on offer and the portions). The other one I haven't tried because it has gastropub prices. Not many local cafes (caffs, yes) or teashops. One got a write up in the county magazine and had as a selling point that she wouldn't serve solitary customers. (Could this be unlawful discrimination, or a hate crime or something?)

Okay, this is freaking me out. You have restaurants in garden centers? I am imagining how far you'd need to place it from the manure bags...

Compost etc is usually in the outdoor bit. Garden centres often have loads more than plants though, they can have fresh produce, homewares, gifts, indoor play areas for kids etc.

I love em, popped into our local this morning for some veggies.

Some even have drive throughs for the heavy stuff, they pop it straight in the boot for you.

Alright this plan shows the sort of Garden Centre we are looking at. The manure is normally very separate from the restaurant; often as in this case in a separate building.

Jengie

Posted by Nenya (# 16427) on :

quote:
Okay, this is freaking me out. You have restaurants in garden centers? I am imagining how far you'd need to place it from the manure bags...

I consider the best garden centres, here in the UK, to be the ones that offer a Grand Day Out. We are fortunate to have one locally. You can buy tableware and crockery there, all sorts of gifts, cards, a limited range of books... Other sections have clothes, both the fashionable sort and the outdoorsy rugged sort, pet care, sweets, cakes, and a vast range of Christmas trees (real and artificial) and ornaments in season; also Santa's Grotto. There's a large restaurant where you can enjoy drinks, cakes, or a full blown meal, complete with a soft play area for the kids.

Oh, and some plants.

You could spend hours there. [Smile]

Nen - who has.

Yep, I'm with Nen, you can spend hours at them. Start with lunch, tootle round, have a coffee. I have done a fair amount of a Christmas shopping at ours. If only they'd put in wifi!

Posted by Meerkat (# 16117) on :

I agree with the 'destination' comments and the 'spending hours there'... I am quite happy to do that. However, when all you want is a quick bite to eat... [Razz]

quote:
One got a write up in the county magazine and had as a selling point that she wouldn't serve solitary customers. (Could this be unlawful discrimination, or a hate crime or something?)

At least they're up front about it. Many places pretend they don't have seats if you're a woman by yourself, try to make you sit at the bar, or pretty much ignore you. [Mad]
(Hint -- I'll be in and out of your precious restaurant a lot more quickly than a couple or group, and single women usually tip well if they're given decent service.)

Posted by Rev per Minute (# 69) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
The manure is normally very separate from the restaurant

Normally?!? Remind me not to accept a lunch invitation to that centre! [Eek!] (Mind you, our nearest one burnt down before Christmas - perhaps someone was cooking the compost)

Right near where mother M. used to live, there is a garden centre and we would go there just for the tea and wonderful cakes, made by the proprietor of the little on-site cafe. If we had a look around and bought a plant or looked at the little blacksmiths or wanted some manure, well, that was a bonus. But we went there for the cakes.

M.

quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
The manure is normally very separate from the restaurant

Normally?!? Remind me not to accept a lunch invitation to that centre! [Eek!] (Mind you, our nearest one burnt down before Christmas - perhaps someone was cooking the compost)
Yeah, because there is always the odd occasion when something does not function as it should. The occasion when a guy restocking manure has a heart attack outside the restaurant and leaves it there on a the trolley. Given that it is bagged up in thick sealed polythene bags the contamination risk is still very small.

Jengie

This place is a splendid restaurant situated in a horticultural nursery not too far from us. Lovely on a summer's day! This place also gets a good reputation, though I haven't been there for years.

[ 26. January 2014, 15:01: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

I've never been to a garden centre to go to the cafe or for a day out and find it a little odd, but then I can't drive and also think it's probably an older person's activity.

Our local garden centre has a restaurant and free wifi.

I like to potter round, buy a plant or two, have a coffee the browse the (very expensive) pottery and crafts.

[Smile]

quote:
I've never been to a garden centre to go to the cafe or for a day out and find it a little odd, but then I can't drive and also think it's probably an older person's activity.

Are you a teenager? I spent several happy hours at our local one only yesterday, with my daughter. She's 24 and also goes up there with friends - those with small children play in the soft play area while the adults have coffee and chat. [Smile]

Nen - young at heart.

quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
quote:

Are you a teenager? I spent several happy hours at our local one only yesterday, with my daughter. She's 24 and also goes up there with friends - those with small children play in the soft play area while the adults have coffee and chat. [Smile]

Nen - young at heart.

I am 24. I just don't understand why you wouldn't go to a proper coffee shop? But then I don't have children and don't have local friends my age with children, and don't have any local garden centres accessible by public transport. I just think of garden centres as being for old people. Not even my parents visit them except for specifically buying plants or garden equipment, my parents would prefer to go to the pub. Perhaps it's a split between pub-goers and non-pub-goers? We've always been a pub-going family from my grandparents down.

It wouldn't occur to me to cater for children, although if children are in garden centres and not in my favourite coffee shop, that is a bonus for me [Biased] I go to coffee shops when I've been shopping in town, and sit in them with a magazine and a pastry or maybe use them for a lunchtime panini.

Posted by Starbug (# 15917) on :

Excuse me, I'm only 47 and I love garden centres! * They don't just sell plants - I've bought clothes and Christmas decorations there and they also have a small range of electrical goods at my local centre. My friend's wife is the chef there and her cakes are wonderful, so I make a point of going to the coffee shop.

I didn't learn to drive until I was 42. When I was taking lessons, I used to promise myself that one of the first places I would drive to on my own would be the local Haskins. **

* Suddenly realises that 47 probably sounds very old to someone in their twenties. [Hot and Hormonal]

** Other garden centres are available, but not so close to my house.

[Killing me] Crockery, cakes, electrical goods, clothing--Are you sure we aren't discussing a shopping mall with a wee place for plants attached to it???? And a drive-thru????

[Snigger]

Okay, now I REALLY want to go to one of these places and see for myself. So much more than the basic US "get your bulbs, weedwhacker and manure here."

[goes off to meditate on Pond differences]

quote:
[Killing me] Crockery, cakes, electrical goods, clothing--Are you sure we aren't discussing a shopping mall with a wee place for plants attached to it???? And a drive-thru????

Some of them are. One I sometimes go to (where I don't stop to have lunch, btw) has all that listed above plus a pick-your-own, a conference centre which can be rented out for weddings, a children's zoo that even includes emus, and a tiny funfair.

quote:
Originally posted by Starbug:

* Suddenly realises that 47 probably sounds very old to someone in their twenties. [Hot and Hormonal]

Tosh, Gran, you are not old.

quote:
Originally posted by Starbug:
Excuse me, I'm only 47 and I love garden centres! * They don't just sell plants - I've bought clothes and Christmas decorations there and they also have a small range of electrical goods at my local centre. My friend's wife is the chef there and her cakes are wonderful, so I make a point of going to the coffee shop.

I didn't learn to drive until I was 42. When I was taking lessons, I used to promise myself that one of the first places I would drive to on my own would be the local Haskins. **

** Other garden centres are available, but not so close to my house.

Well my mum is 43 but I wouldn't say 47 is old.

I am just baffled as to why garden centres are so much more desirable to eat in than an actual cafe in a town/city centre? I am very baffled by a garden centre that sells clothing! All the things sold by garden centres that I've been to have been incredibly naff and twee, I can't imagine what the clothes would be like!

I'm from the south-east of England and I've never heard of or imagined anyone going to a garden centre for lunch or to meet friends.

Coffee shops maybe, though they aren't really part of my culture. The place you go to socialise is the pub.

I tend to divide coffee shops (which in England are not the same thing as cafes) into three categories

- real ones, which are independent and not part of a branded chain and where the staff wear no uniforms and are almost always Spanish or Italian. They mainly exist in central London and overlap with sandwich bars. Mostly used by office workers buying lunch to take back to their desks. Often totally packed out a 1am and closed by 4. They have big old shiny esprrsso machines that still show their historical origins on the Italian railways. They can also make decent tea.

- fake chain coffee shops like Costa Lotta and Cafe Plastico. Staff wear uniforms and get minimum wage. Found in railway stations, franchised canteens in universities and motorway service stations, small towns where real local businesses have been murdered by Tescos, and in mid-market shopping malls and high streets. The espresso is often OK, the tea is crap, the food overpriced and oversweet, though alright for a hurried takeout breakfast if you are feeling flush.

- pretentious twat chains like Starfucks and, er, I assume there are others. Found everywhere. Customers mostly seem to be 19-year-old girls trying to look cool and wasted gay men with expensive clothes and Apple laptops. As far as I can tell they don't actually sell coffee so much as a variety of horrendously expensive mildly coffee flavoured milkshakes. I'm not completely sure as I've never been in one and never had occasion to either.

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
I'm from the south-east of England and I've never heard of or imagined anyone going to a garden centre for lunch or to meet friends.

Coffee shops maybe, though they aren't really part of my culture. The place you go to socialise is the pub.

I tend to divide coffee shops (which in England are not the same thing as cafes) into three categories

- real ones, which are independent and not part of a branded chain and where the staff wear no uniforms and are almost always Spanish or Italian. They mainly exist in central London and overlap with sandwich bars. Mostly used by office workers buying lunch to take back to their desks. Often totally packed out a 1am and closed by 4. They have big old shiny esprrsso machines that still show their historical origins on the Italian railways. They can also make decent tea.

- fake chain coffee shops like Costa Lotta and Cafe Plastico. Staff wear uniforms and get minimum wage. Found in railway stations, franchised canteens in universities and motorway service stations, small towns where real local businesses have been murdered by Tescos, and in mid-market shopping malls and high streets. The espresso is often OK, the tea is crap, the food overpriced and oversweet, though alright for a hurried takeout breakfast if you are feeling flush.

- pretentious twat chains like Starfucks and, er, I assume there are others. Found everywhere. Customers mostly seem to be 19-year-old girls trying to look cool and wasted gay men with expensive clothes and Apple laptops. As far as I can tell they don't actually sell coffee so much as a variety of horrendously expensive mildly coffee flavoured milkshakes. I'm not completely sure as I've never been in one and never had occasion to either.

Costa is actually genuinely Italian (or rather started in the UK by genuine Italians). Their coffee is certainly nicer than Starbucks whose coffee tastes burnt. Costa also pays all their taxes which is also good.

I am pretty [Confused] at the 'wasted gay men' comment. I see as many older people in Starbucks as I do younger people, they just have normal people in like any other coffee shop. I've never seen anyone who's 'wasted' in a coffee shop of any description, and wouldn't assume their sexuality anyway [Confused]

Posted by Garasu (# 17152) on :

quote:

Happens all the time round here...

It would never occur to me to have lunch in a garden centre. If I'm going out for lunch I'd either meet at a pub or a restaurant, latter for preference.

And lunch is not comprised of something from the sandwich menu, thank you.

Three within driving distance in NW Kent, which is, I think, in SE England. There're loads of them.

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

quote:

Well my mum is 43 but I wouldn't say 47 is old.

I should hope not! What would you say about 60? [Biased]

These garden centers with food sound like something someone should try around here. That might be a money-maker for the big box hardware/garden center stores. The hubby happily looks at routers and lumber, and the wife sits with a coffee or tea and has a sandwich. (Or in the case of several of my friends, the wife is the one admiring the routers and cabinets and such.)

Posted by Rev per Minute (# 69) on :

For us it's often a Bank Holiday standby - weather's not looking too good, nothing specific to visit, let's go out to the garden centre and we'll have lunch there as well. We often go to one which has a tent/camping centre as well ("Let's get another tent!") and other places as well, though we have resisted the temptation of a hot tub and a conservatory to put it in!

The clothes and other goods can be on the naff side of twee, but it's a decent time out of the house that isn't a shopping centre or similar. And it usually gives me my annual kick up the bum to do a little bit or gardening and fill some pots with plants (I generally have the same effect on plants as Herod had on small children, so this is only an occasional urge!)

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
They should forget about sanitised hands and sanitise the taps. Will someone not invent a self sanitising tap?

I find those "Now wash your hands signs sometimes found in pub and work toilets odd.

Let me explain. After using the toilet and cleaning yourself and adjusting your clothing you wash your hands. But it isn't that simple:

You turn the tap off with a bit of paper towel. This method is explicitly taught on some public "wash your hands" signs here.

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
You then touch the tap WHICH YOU LAST TOUCHED WITH YOUR SOILED HAND to turn the tap off. How can that be hygienic?

You turn the tap off with a bit of paper towel.
Motion-activated taps seem to be the thing nowadays. I can't remember the last time I encountered one where you had to turn the water on/off by hand.

Posted by Signaller (# 17495) on :

quote:

I am just baffled as to why garden centres are so much more desirable to eat in than an actual cafe in a town/city centre?

They are easy to get to, because they are generally not in town centres, and they have lots of free parking, which you don't find in town centres. I think it's true to say that garden centres are almost entirely aimed at suburban and rural car users.

I appreciate that's not much help to you as a non-driver.

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

Practically very self respecting nursery in Sydney has a coffee shop attached. I guess it is a big money spinner as they usually sell fancy gardening goods and other bits and pieces.

Coffee is very often quite good and meals are served. Nothing fancy, just convenient. Surroundings are pleasant.

Few people down here would go to Starbucks. That is why there are few Starbucks in Sydney or Australia to actually go to. Around 90% of them were closed some years ago because of lack of patronage. Just as well too.

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

• You turn the tap on - there is no plug for the basin so you leave it running.
  • You wash your hands.
  • You then touch the tap WHICH YOU LAST TOUCHED WITH YOUR SOILED HAND to turn the tap off.
You turn the tap off with a bit of paper towel. This method is explicitly taught on some public "wash your hands" signs here.
No paper towels, they have been replaced by air blowers which are not strong enough to dry your hands.

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Practically very self respecting nursery in Sydney has a coffee shop attached. I guess it is a big money spinner as they usually sell fancy gardening goods and other bits and pieces.

Coffee is very often quite good and meals are served. Nothing fancy, just convenient. Surroundings are pleasant.

Few people down here would go to Starbucks. That is why there are few Starbucks in Sydney or Australia to actually go to. Around 90% of them were closed some years ago because of lack of patronage. Just as well too.

In fairness, Australia and NZ have their own coffee cultures to rival those in continental Europe or US cities like Seattle or NYC - NZ even invented the flat white. The UK doesn't have that, and hasn't since the coffee houses of the 17th Century. We've had cafes (more food focused) and quaint little tea shops until Italian immigrants after WWII brought in Italian-style espresso bars, and it took US brands like Starbucks to make coffee ubiquitous. I still know lots of people in the UK who don't drink coffee at all and only drink tea.

quote:

[Killing me] I love it!

"I've never been in one so I know they are terrible!"

Mrs. S, mother of a Starbucks devotee aged 29

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

I remember walking to meet someone at a Starbucks in New York City. I passed two other Starbucks on the way there.

Incidentally, the Australian Starbucks site indicates just 24 stores in Australia now, and they're only in Sydney, Melbourne and the region around Brisbane (including the Gold and Sunshine Coasts).

Apparently there about 11,000 of them in the USA.

[ 27. January 2014, 12:35: Message edited by: orfeo ]

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
I remember walking to meet someone at a Starbucks in New York City. I passed two other Starbucks on the way there.

Reminds me of this.

I was just reminded of another American import that failed here, Krispy Kreme doughnuts. Similar strategy and similar failures. And interestingly, still existing in almost exactly the same locations as Starbucks is still existing.

Krispy Kreme does not exist in Canada, to my knowledge. I only wish that I could say the same for *$$. An overpriced cup of burnt tasting coffee... I ignore them.

Posted by lily pad (# 11456) on :

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
Krispy Kreme does not exist in Canada, to my knowledge. I only wish that I could say the same for *$$. An overpriced cup of burnt tasting coffee... I ignore them.

Ahh, but it does! I've looked at them but can't bring myself to eat one. They just look sooooo greasy. But I have friends who have gone to great lengths to get them here and eat a dozen at a time! Personally, I love going to Starbucks for the atmosphere but, as I don't drink coffee or eat the sweets, I mostly only go for the atmosphere.

To me 'doughnut' always betokened a ball of, well, dough with jam or cream in the middle. The ones with the hole are Gravy Rings.

For some odd reason, they were among the first things I learnt to cook: make simple dough of flour, sugar, baking powder and buttermilk, deep fry in chip pan, roll in sugar, eat warm.

Posted by no prophet (# 15560) on :

We don't have garden centres. Because they would be idle for 260 days per year. They always have other things. The main 'garden centres' are attached to grocery stores, home improvement centres, or are set up on some parking lot, like Christmas tree outlets, just for the season.

The one free-standing 'garden centre', which is called only by its name because it is diverse, has a clothing store, a coffee and sandwich place, sells pet and horse supplies. The main non-chain bookstore has a restaurant with coffee house type of live music.

Gardening and related activities remind me of something that has been on my mind for a while, and is maybe just an impression, but perhaps true. I think people, particularly the young, spend less time outside and (related and unrelated) in physical activity. It is the lack of connection with the outdoors and actual personal experience of outdoor activities that I find odd. We have more news and concern about the environment and less personal connection to it.

quote:

NZ even invented the flat white.

Its hard to imagine anyone pernickity enough to care about the exact difference between a "flat white" and three-dozen other commercialised overpriced tiny variations on basic coffee. It just doesn't matter that much. It's all too twee and precious and yes, pretentious.

After all if they really liked the taste of coffee they'd drink it neat, not cut with sweeties and milk to take away the nasty taste of actual, er, coffee.

One of those things that seems odd to me, anyway.

Posted by Kitten (# 1179) on :

quote:

After all if they really liked the taste of coffee they'd drink it neat, not cut with sweeties and milk to take away the nasty taste of actual, er, coffee.

It is possible to like both, I normally take my coffee black and unsweetened if filtered or nearly black and unsweetened if instant, but I have been known to enjoy a gingerbread latte or a white chocolate mocha late on occassion

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

quote:
Its hard to imagine anyone pernickity enough to care about the exact difference between a "flat white" and three-dozen other commercialised overpriced tiny variations on basic coffee. It just doesn't matter that much. It's all too twee and precious and yes, pretentious.

I'm not even certain what a "flat white" is. Do you get "lumpy white" as well?

I find it odd that *$$ have taken off in France and Spain. It's not as if there is a shortage of good coffee in those countries.

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:

I'm not even certain what the difference between a flat white and an espresso macchiato is.

I'm just gobsmacked that you go to garden centres for ANYTHING.

Plants - either grow from seed or obtain from proper nursery. I'm also lucky enough to be given seedlings/cuttings by green-fingered friends.

Nice lunch - a decent pub is great: just not one that caters for the well-heeled OAP member of the Ramblers Association because the beer is usually terrible (they don't understand about cleaning the pipes and the need for proper rinsing) and the food is mass-produced, unimaginative and frequently horrible.

As for coffee outlets - we have a local sandwich bar/greasy spoon which boasts a splendid Gaggia machine, so the coffee is first-class: lunch there is a joy.

Our local garden centre is a nursery too, its started as a small holding and nursery. It's just grown and grown [Big Grin]
Gets coat

A folk thing I used to frequent
Met at an inn here in Kent

That has started, so I'm going to have to finish

Till they turned out our club
To go gastropub
But the food wasn't quite what that meant.

The last meal I had there was sausage and mash. The bangers were smooth textured and pinky grey, the potato poorly reconstituted packet stuff, and the gravy from powder as well.

We do have some good ones hereabouts, but they cost.

quote:

Where, in your opinion, should I be buying my gardening tools, bag of compost, slug pellets and netting?

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:

Ahh, but it does! I've looked at them but can't bring myself to eat one. They just look sooooo greasy.
My problem with them is their excessive sweetness.

Moo

lily pad. I have not clicked on your link because I really. really do not wish to know!

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

quote:
I'm just gobsmacked that you go to garden centres for ANYTHING..

Obviously, an English garden centre is different to one here. Ours are proper nurseries with the cafés added on. You can buy your seedlings, compost and what have you, then go for a decent morning tea/lunch and some coffee.

quote:

No, silly. You get flat white or long black.

Eventually in America I managed to vaguely approximate a flat white by having an Americano with milk. Um. I think that was it. In Vienna a 'large brown' did the trick. I think. I don't remember whether I even tried in the UK.

Posted by Starbug (# 15917) on :

I really don't think I want to walk into a cafe and ask for a 'large brown' anything. [Projectile]

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:

Obviously, an English garden centre is different to one here. Ours are proper nurseries with the cafés added on. You can buy your seedlings, compost and what have you, then go for a decent morning tea/lunch and some coffee.
That is roughly what ours are, except that some have also tacked on kitcheny stuff to cook veggies is; vases to put the flowers in; furniture to stand the vases on; furniture to use in the garden; gazebos to lounge under in the garden; remaindered books to read in the garden; barbecues to cook on in the garden; clothes to wear in the garden, whether to work or to lounge; tools to use in the garden, whether sturdy and proper, or decorative and flimsy; bird feeding stuff; wildlife encouraging stuff; vermin eradicating stuff; sheds; summerhouses; water features; fish nurturing stuff; and for some reason, double glazing display centres.
All the ones I go to have their own nursery sections, though not necessarily on the site. They all buy in as well. and we have a lot of nurseries in the area, because the soil has historically been ideal for market gardens and nurseries. Some of these have had to close recently, though. None of them have eateries.

quote:
quote:

NZ even invented the flat white.

One of those things that seems odd to me, anyway.

Well a flat white isn't sweetened, and neither is it particularly fussy so your rant isn't really relevant here. Try going to Italy or Seattle or NZ and telling them that their coffee culture is twee and pretentious! It's really not, good coffeemaking is an art just like good winemaking. An espresso-based coffee tastes vastly different to a drip-brewed coffee.

I like a flat white because it's less milky than a cappuccino or a latte but still has the velvety texture, plus it's never oversized. I do add sugar (just a spoonful, vanilla if I can get it) because it, er, tastes nice. How shocking that I would want to drink something that tastes nice to me. And of course it still tastes like coffee, one spoonful of sugar doesn't remove the taste of coffee, unless you only drink spectacularly weak and wimpy stuff.

quote:
quote:

I'm not even certain what the difference between a flat white and an espresso macchiato is.
Traditionally an espresso macchiato doesn't have steamed milk (although that's more common now), and less than in a flat white.

quote:

Plants - either grow from seed or obtain from proper nursery. I'm also lucky enough to be given seedlings/cuttings by green-fingered friends.

Nice lunch - a decent pub is great: just not one that caters for the well-heeled OAP member of the Ramblers Association because the beer is usually terrible (they don't understand about cleaning the pipes and the need for proper rinsing) and the food is mass-produced, unimaginative and frequently horrible.

As for coffee outlets - we have a local sandwich bar/greasy spoon which boasts a splendid Gaggia machine, so the coffee is first-class: lunch there is a joy.

Yes - why anyone would prefer a garden centre to a nice CAMRA-friendly pub is beyond me.

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:

In fairness, Australia and NZ have their own coffee cultures to rival those in continental Europe or US cities like Seattle or NYC - NZ even invented the flat white. The UK doesn't have that, and hasn't since the coffee houses of the 17th Century.
Oh it does. Not a good one, not a nice one, but it has one. It's an Instant Coffee culture, one in which such horrors as Mellow Birds could actually take root and find a niche outside Danté's Inferno.

Posted by Drifting Star (# 12799) on :

quote:
Yes - why anyone would prefer a garden centre to a nice CAMRA-friendly pub is beyond me.

You're comparing apples and oranges. Lots of people upthread have pointed out that when they have lunch or a drink at a garden centre they're going there for other things as well as the cafe.

Why slate something you haven't experienced, and admit doesn't interest you anyway?

Just a friendly reminder, let's keep it mellow, folks, please.

Thanks

Ariel
Heaven Host

Back to the discussion of removing shoes... I toured a not-yet-dedicated LDS temple today. We all had paper shower-cap-type booties put over our shoes to protect the floors/carpets inside (though I hear all carpet, furnishings, drapes, etc., are removed and replaced before the dedication). The paper booties were a bit slippery for use on marble stairways and floors, and in two rooms (Celestial Room and Sealing Room) where we had to walk on plastic sheeting to protect the white carpets. There were a lot of elderly people going through, and I worried that some of them might lose their footing.

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Reminds me of this.

I realise this is a spoof, but are there really adults who wear braces on their teeth, or is that a curious fashion in dental jewellery?

quote:
quote:
Reminds me of this.

I realise this is a spoof, but are there really adults who wear braces on their teeth, or is that a curious fashion in dental jewellery?
Yes.

quote:
quote:
Reminds me of this.

Yes, it happens. The gymnast Beth Tweddle used to have an absolute mouthful of wire.

I had braces (for the second time) when I was in my early 30s. There have been a lot of improvements, and they are often almost invisible now.

The second worst pub I went to was with a Shipmate near St. Austell. I ordered the special of the day and although it wasn't horrible, I fear that it may have been roadkill because they wouldn't tell me what it was!

The worst was in a town called Sticker. We were seated right away, but the cook was so slow, it took nearly an hour to get our food and when we changed or added to our orders, it took even longer!

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

The food will be with you dreckly, Sir Kevin. And as for them not telling you what you were eating, what else do you expect from Wreckers, me 'ansome? [Biased]

quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
quote:

You're comparing apples and oranges. Lots of people upthread have pointed out that when they have lunch or a drink at a garden centre they're going there for other things as well as the cafe.

Why slate something you haven't experienced, and admit doesn't interest you anyway?

But I have experienced eating in a garden centre cafe and have been to lots of garden centres, just not since I left home and so had to rely on public transport - I never said I'd never been to one, just that I didn't understand why people would choose to do so for reasons other than buying plants/garden equipment. Still think a nice pub is vastly superior - less twee, more booze.

Posted by mdijon (# 8520) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
I fear that it may have been roadkill because they wouldn't tell me what it was!

Don't worry, they're very unlikely to be serving roadkill out in St Austell. More likely it was just a knackered pony.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
quote:

But I have experienced eating in a garden centre cafe and have been to lots of garden centres, just not since I left home and so had to rely on public transport - I never said I'd never been to one, just that I didn't understand why people would choose to do so for reasons other than buying plants/garden equipment. Still think a nice pub is vastly superior - less twee, more booze.
Not everyone wants to spend their leisure hours in a pub, Jade! but that's your choice. When I go, I tend to take a friend, mooch round a variety of shops like a mini-shopping centre, enjoy a cream tea (and free parking). If I'm driving I wouldn't be drinking and I wouldn't be drinking in the daytime anyway. Going to a pub and NOT drinking seems like a waste!

So, we have different ideas of where we want to go on these occasions. Just because you don't understand why we'd want to go somewhere else doesn't make either of us wrong [Smile]

Mrs. S, frequenter of Hillier's for the Belgian buns [Overused]

Posted by Fredegund (# 17952) on :

Our nearest large garden centre is also the venue for a cafe church. My spies tell me that even the staff join in. With the best will in the world, I can't imagine that in a pub.

quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
When I go, I tend to take a friend, mooch round a variety of shops like a mini-shopping centre, enjoy a cream tea (and free parking). If I'm driving I wouldn't be drinking and I wouldn't be drinking in the daytime anyway. Going to a pub and NOT drinking seems like a waste!

I agree and I do all of that too; but I also go alone, have a mooch about and a bit of retail therapy, and then ensconce myself in the cafe with a book. I also go to coffee shops on my own with a book, but I wouldn't go to a pub alone. That I would find odd (I guess people do it, but is it because you're likely to meet people you know there?) and someone might interrupt me while I'm reading. [Eek!]

I can see the transport could be an issue. I'm fortunate enough to have a car, and you could walk to our local garden centre. It's quite a long walk - which would justify the cream tea. [Biased]

Nen - also a fan of Belgian buns. [Big Grin]

I can see that transport is an issue both ways - if you're driving then you won't be drinking, although when I'm in the pub I'm often not drinking myself, but having a meal and soft drink. I just associate garden centres with OAP afternoon tea I suppose, not that my usual pub has a lack of old men mind.

Nen, my usual pub has some booths to sit in - much nicer and no interrupted reading. Yes, I go to pubs alone and read! Strangely I find coffee shops more people-heavy - in a pub everyone's at the bar, so wouldn't be talking to you if you're tucked away in the corner.

quote:
Originally posted by Fredegund:
Our nearest large garden centre is also the venue for a cafe church. My spies tell me that even the staff join in. With the best will in the world, I can't imagine that in a pub.

I have attended church services in pubs.

Its not quite "cafe church" but our parish has a monthly "beer and bible" session where we sit round a table and read an entire book of the Bible aloud (or part of a long one) while eating and drinking.

quote:

Nen, my usual pub has some booths to sit in - much nicer and no interrupted reading. Yes, I go to pubs alone and read! Strangely I find coffee shops more people-heavy - in a pub everyone's at the bar, so wouldn't be talking to you if you're tucked away in the corner.

Whereas I go to pubs precisely because you can meet people and talk to them. So I'll be the one at the bar.

That's not the same in a coffee shop or cafe or restaurant - they are places for couples or small groups who spend time with each other and avoid contact with strangers. A less open and friendly feel than a real pub.

quote:
[have attended church services in pubs.

Its not quite "cafe church" but our parish has a monthly "beer and bible" session where we sit round a table and read an entire book of the Bible aloud (or part of a long one) while eating and drinking.

And (hic) the beardy fellow pointed at the water and it dried up in the middle with the water piled on the side.Just like the other beardy bloke said. So the (hic) ishrul-, izshurea-, the Jews walked to the other side, with Moshur, Mosey,.. the first beardy bloke leading 'em. And they saw the fishes and stuff in the water like an requarium. (Hic) this has been the word of The Lord Sugar.

[ 30. January 2014, 17:20: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

Posted by ArachnidinElmet (# 17346) on :

quote:
quote:

Whereas I go to pubs precisely because you can meet people and talk to them. So I'll be the one at the bar.

That's not the same in a coffee shop or cafe or restaurant - they are places for couples or small groups who spend time with each other and avoid contact with strangers. A less open and friendly feel than a real pub.

As a frequenter of both pubs and cafes (and garden centres) may I suggest you're going to the wrong cafes. Maybe a London thing? Who knows.

Re: churches in pubs, I'm reliably informed that my church was originally established as a congregation before it had a building and they began by holding mass in the upper room of the local pub. Not so odd for a RC parish with a high proportion of Irish and Scottish people. [Biased]

[ 30. January 2014, 23:21: Message edited by: ArachnidinElmet ]

Posted by Jolly Jape (# 3296) on :

I don't find pubs to be congenial places, by and large. Sure, things have got better since the smoking ban, but many still smell of beer, an aroma which I find distasteful, and they are often, shall we say, less than spotless. Compare this with a garden centre, which is likely to have clean table linen, be more child-friendly (not that I'm worried about that any more), and have a wider range of food available. Horses for courses, really.

Interestingly, in the light of the comments from our western cousins here, I'm sure one of the first Garden Centres round our way was founded by a couple of USAeans; I'd always assumed that Garden Centres were an American import.

Posted by Vulpior (# 12744) on :

quote:
quote:

And of course, Canberra being Canberra, round here we have one suburb that specialises in garden centres!

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Jape:

Interestingly, in the light of the comments from our western cousins here, I'm sure one of the first Garden Centres round our way was founded by a couple of USAeans; I'd always assumed that Garden Centres were an American import.

If they are, we probably call them something different. I've spent the last few posts trying to visualize what you're describing. Round these parts a "garden center" would be the section of the local hardware store where you purchase a rake or a hose or some potted plants-- not at all a place where anyone would sit and chat, and not a bit of food or linen tablecloths to be found, and the only chairs are the plastic ones for sale.

There are quite a few on the road between here and the beaches. The largest of them does a roaring trade in bulk soils, sand, compost, pebbles and so forth as well as a range of pavers and other landscaping materials, seedlings and plants. The café is large, airy and usually packed out as well, with a children's playground in easy view. That all seems to me to be a very sensible arrangement.

There would be very few here going to a pub for a quiet read, apart from some reading a newspaper over a liquid lunch (silly people) . OTOH, people do go to coffee shops for that purpose. I very much doubt that someone would go to a coffee shop alone in the hope of meeting another except by arrangement, but that would be common for bars, clubs and pubs.

quote:
Originally posted by Vulpior:
quote:
quote:

And of course, Canberra being Canberra, round here we have one suburb that specialises in garden centres!
With Canberra's planning, round is very appropriate.

Posted by Coffee Cup (# 13506) on :

quote:
I've spent the last few posts trying to visualize what you're describing. Round these parts a "garden center" would be the section of the local hardware store where you purchase a rake or a hose or some potted plants-- not at all a place where anyone would sit and chat, and not a bit of food or linen tablecloths to be found, and the only chairs are the plastic ones for sale.

I haven't seen anything like a british garden centre since I arrived here on the eastern coast of the US (though I have no car here, and no outdoor space to plant in/on). In my mind - though I stand to be corrected by those with more widespread garden-centre-experience - proper garden centres in the UK are not part of the big box chain model for the most part, and are sort of the inverse of a hardware store - 70% of what they sell is plants and 20% is hardware associated with the plants. I guess sheds and outdoor furnishings make up the remaining 10%. These numbers will move about a bit to accommodate things like local veg and (ime) seasonal items like christmas decorations. For the cafe aspect, the internet revealed this link, which does not really show typical garden centres, but maybe some of the links will give you a feel.

This will give you an idea of what I was describing.

Posted by Coffee Cup (# 13506) on :

quote:
This will give you an idea of what I was describing.

That chimes strongly with the memories in my mind - though in some of those photos there appear to be the phenomena known as sunshine and warmth, which are not known to british garden centers.

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly Jape:
I don't find pubs to be congenial places, by and large. Sure, things have got better since the smoking ban, but many still smell of beer, an aroma which I find distasteful, and they are often, shall we say, less than spotless. Compare this with a garden centre, which is likely to have clean table linen, be more child-friendly (not that I'm worried about that any more), and have a wider range of food available. Horses for courses, really.

I am intrigued by garden centres having a wider range of food - IME they sell sandwiches, cakes etc but not proper meals.

quote:
Originally posted by Vulpior:

Do you mean Pialligo? Because that's what I immediately thought of when people started talking about garden centres with restaurants. The only one of those I've been to was in Pialligo.

This is the type of place - although they can be very much bigger and more elaborate.

M.

quote:
Originally posted by M.:
This is the type of place - although they can be very much bigger and more elaborate.

M.

We do have some high-end nurseries such as this here in US that look like that, but to my knowledge none that serve food. A great idea, though.

[ 31. January 2014, 14:32: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

Posted by Carex (# 9643) on :

Pond difference I expect.

We know most of the local nurseries as we ran one ourselves. None that I know of have a tea room or cafe (though a couple of the larger nurseries take enough time to tour that it might be worth adding one.) On hot days we provided cold water bottles free for our customers.

But my guess is the difference has more to do with beverage habits: Americans would arrive with drink in hand from a drive-through expresso kiosk rather than stopping for a proper cup of tea.

Here's the menu for the one I have patronised in the past. Greencafe

However, I notice that the accountants have been in again. It used to offer things like chicken in mushroom sauce, vegetarian lasagne, shepherds pie and a dish of the day, so there was a good choice of hot meals. The pies now are in individual dishes, with more crust than filling.

And here is the one I don't go to - note absence of prices. Twig and Spoon

And this one is a bit further away, daily variations, no choice. More crowded, more "where are the plants?" Polhill, above Sevenoaks

With its own medieval chapel. Can't answer for the food. No prices again. Ruxley

Not just sarnies

quote:

And this one is a bit further away, daily variations, no choice. More crowded, more "where are the plants?" Polhill, above Sevenoaks

[/QB]

Their sister garden centre is near here and includes the village general store and post office as the original high street one was closed down a few years ago and Polhill decided to take it on. So that garden centre is very much the centre of village life.

quote:
Here's the menu for the one I have patronised in the past. Greencafe

However, I notice that the accountants have been in again. It used to offer things like chicken in mushroom sauce, vegetarian lasagne, shepherds pie and a dish of the day, so there was a good choice of hot meals. The pies now are in individual dishes, with more crust than filling.

And here is the one I don't go to - note absence of prices. Twig and Spoon

With its own medieval chapel. Can't answer for the food. No prices again. Ruxley

Not just sarnies

Wow - how fancy! I feel a bit too common to go to places like that [Biased]

Ours serves wine too [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Carex:
Pond difference I expect.

We know most of the local nurseries as we ran one ourselves. None that I know of have a tea room or cafe (though a couple of the larger nurseries take enough time to tour that it might be worth adding one.) On hot days we provided cold water bottles free for our customers.

But my guess is the difference has more to do with beverage habits: Americans would arrive with drink in hand from a drive-through expresso kiosk rather than stopping for a proper cup of tea.

We have espresso machines as well as tea pots.

That's how it started in the UK. They started out as places where you could have a drink and cake between looking at the nurseries and looking at the light gardening implements like axes and chainsaws. They got popular and grew. Now they are a major part of the garden centres budget.

What started as a way to help the customer becomes a major money spinner.

Posted by Kyzyl (# 374) on :

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by M.:

M.

We do have some high-end nurseries such as this here in US that look like that, but to my knowledge none that serve food. A great idea, though.
Bachmann's in Minneapolis. Yes, THAT Bachmann family, but only via a couple of marriages.

[ 31. January 2014, 21:17: Message edited by: Kyzyl ]

Posted by Kyzyl (# 374) on :

For those interested...
Bachman's

quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
quote:

Their sister garden centre is near here and includes the village general store and post office as the original high street one was closed down a few years ago and Polhill decided to take it on. So that garden centre is very much the centre of village life. [/QB]
I wondered if they were connected - it's a bit of a leap from a place actually called Polhill in Kent up to Cambridge. Millbrook has leapt from Crowborough in Sussex to Gravesend. The other two are standalones.

And Jade, I wouldn't say any of them are not aimed at working class, if that's what you mena by common! Mind you, I didn't include the one with cabaret evenings as it didn't have a menu on its web site. (And some other reasons.)

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
quote:

Their sister garden centre is near here and includes the village general store and post office as the original high street one was closed down a few years ago and Polhill decided to take it on. So that garden centre is very much the centre of village life.

I wondered if they were connected - it's a bit of a leap from a place actually called Polhill in Kent up to Cambridge. Millbrook has leapt from Crowborough in Sussex to Gravesend. The other two are standalones.

And Jade, I wouldn't say any of them are not aimed at working class, if that's what you mena by common! Mind you, I didn't include the one with cabaret evenings as it didn't have a menu on its web site. (And some other reasons.) [/QB]

Haha I wasn't being quite so specific as saying they're not for the working classes, I just prefer a pub or a greasy spoon - I have common tastes, is what I meant [Biased]

We're a bunch of elderly cousins who regularly gather for lunch at a cafe next to a Council library but not connected to it (our original venue was at the cafe situated in the City Library building).
Last week the cafe was temporarily closed so we went to the MitreTen Mega cafe in the same town, and had an excellent lunch. Mitre Ten Mega are hardware, timber, everything for the do-it-yourself home handyman, household stuff (kitchen and bathroom stuff, you name it) and garden supplies, and all have cafes, of which our is reputed to be the country's best.
It was very good but we'll be glad to get back to our friends at the Library cafe – they don't mind if we break into songs of the 50s.

GG

© Ship of Fools 2016