Thread: Happy New Year: or, Fuck Off 2013 Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=026881

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

Well, that year sucked.

there were high moments, as all years have, but in my book, we can toss 2013 into the trash and start over.

lowlights of 2013? house foreclosed on. moved away from the village I loved. dog died. friends died or moved away. the list goes on.

I know I'm not the Lone Ranger here. Anyone else want to give 2013 a giant middle finger?

Posted by Porridge (# 15405) on :

Do you have a fireplace or woodstove?

If yes, sit in front of it with 2013 calendar in hand. Gather your loved ones around.

Open calendar to January, recall briefly together whatever direness visited you that month, tear it off with as much noise and violence as you can muster, and burn it all the way down to ash.

Move on to February. Lather, rinse, repeat.

It's a ritual some friends & I invented, and we find it satisfying.

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

Life can be a bitch .

Apart from one real shit turn-up for the books, I can't say 2013 hasn't dealt anymore than other years.

It'll soon be 2014 , we're still here . I'll drink to that fact alone.

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

Your 2013 sounds like my 2006. That was one of the shittiest years of my life. 2007 was a pretty average year, but compared with the one I'd had before, it was brilliant.

Posted by Palimpsest (# 16772) on :

2013 was better than 2012 but that is all. I used to use a variation of a pilot's saying about plane landings; "Any year you walk away from isn't all bad". Then three years ago I was in bed with a broken foot and modified that to "Any year you can crawl away from isn't all bad."

This year I watched my job turn to crap and all the other members of the research group I was in all quit. I finished my project and quit in May. I've spent the remainder of the year going to film festivals, losing 30 pounds of the 130 I need to lose and dealing with various health issues. I'm going to start looking for a new job this January. In the mean time I've been wondering if I've prematurely retired. We shall see if then if this was a good year or not.

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

I had a pretty good 2013, really.

Right up until August. Then it became messy. Can we rewind to August?

Posted by Tortuf (# 3784) on :

Mommy make the bad year go away.

And don't let it come back.

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

I'll drink to that.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

I thought of you guys.

Posted by Pyx_e (# 57) on :

I thought of you, Kelly.

NSFW - swearing in scottish

[Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder] (Dear Diary: He's thinking of me!)

(After watching a bit) What the everloving fuck?

[ 30. December 2013, 08:57: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Posted by Herrick (# 15226) on :

February 2013, 50 yo sister-in-law died of breast cancer leaving a partner and two adult children.
Late March 2013, 58 yo brother died of suspected heart disease. Cause of death couldn't be determined as his body was not found for nearly two weeks.
July 2013, I was diagnosed with tonsil cancer and underwent treatment from August until early November. Treatment was some oral/dental surgery, radiotherapy and chemotherapy. I still feel quite sick from it.

Yes please can I have some other year? Hard to imagine one worse than this.

Posted by The Undercover Christian (# 17875) on :

2013 felt like being in a tumbledrier to me. Seemed to go round and round, without actually going anywhere, and I emerged from it with some sizzling grazes.

Also in 2013 our tumbledrier broke.

(not because I got into it, I hasten to add)

Happy to see it plopped onto a Viking longboat and sent, flaming, over the waves.

TUC.

Posted by The Undercover Christian (# 17875) on :

quote:

Thoughts and prayers with you and yours, Herrick. [Votive]

Posted by Niteowl (# 15841) on :

Yes, 2013 can fuck right off. Sincerely hoping 2014 is a much kinder year.

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

I've ended 2013 with a leaking hot water heater (is only one year old; I hope it's still under warranty), a tooth that needs a root canal, another tooth that's also bothering me (dentist's office has been closed since before Christmas; will reopen today), and my father in the hospital. Still one more day to go. What else will happen? [Frown]

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

quote:
orfeo: I had a pretty good 2013, really.

Yes please.

Posted by jbohn (# 8753) on :

Fuck 2013. That is all.

Posted by Late Paul (# 37) on :

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
orfeo: I had a pretty good 2013, really.

Yes please.
If we're doing that can we have early June please?

Actually, a lot of bad things stem from a decision I made in May 2010. Although, there again that itself flowed out of consequences of an event in 2006. But to be honest things haven't been great since the Big Stupid Decision(*) of 1998.

Erm... Definitely agree on the rewind but can I get back to you on the actual date?

(*in retrospect)

Posted by Suze (# 5639) on :

Yep, 2013 can fuck right off as far as I'm concerned, apart for one or two highlights it's been shitter than a shitty thing. Return of a long standing, but until recently dormant, mental health problem has been the icing on the cake. Fucking awful year.

Posted by Anglo Catholic Relict (# 17213) on :

Terrible year. Can't wait to see the back of it. Next year may be worse, but in different ways.

quote:
Originally posted by Anglo Catholic Relict:
Next year may be worse, but in different ways.

A change is as good as a holiday.

[/platitude]

Posted by saysay (# 6645) on :

I know it's already gone for some Shipmates, but I've got a few hours left here in this terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad year.

I've got major housing and employment issues, which I'm sure most people looking at me would identify as my worst problems (thankfully the legal ones seem to have ended). But, no, for me this was a banner year in terms of realizing that any number of people I've considered friends and trusted for a long time are lying, back-stabbing krillfuckers. I still haven't even wrapped my head around what would possess them to do some of those things (and they're the kinds of things that if I had heard about them doing them to others I'd have had issues). All of it made worse by the fact that the people I was hoping might help me sort out the truth have thus far declined to do so.

I keep trying to comfort myself by telling myself that the truth always outs. Eventually. But eventually isn't good enough for me right now.

I hate not being able to put together a coherent narrative that might make sense of this shit.

There are a whole bunch of things about the world that no longer seem worth even trying to improve anymore. Because humanity just sucks and people are selfish bastards who would rather not be marginally inconvenienced or made slightly uncomfortable.

Bah.

Good-bye you wretched fucking year. Keep your misery and general hatefulness.

Posted by Olaf (# 11804) on :

Having come from the Purg thread about profanity, I can't type what I want to type...

Could New Year's Eve just hurry up and finish? Please? I can't stand this "holiday."

Posted by Doublethink (# 1984) on :

New job, but on the other hand - any year where I have to advise a colleague on how to support a client whose baby has been raped qualifies as a shit year.

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

Let''so look on the bright side for a moment. It's now 2014. That means that NEXT YEAR we can get rid of Cameron and his arse tag Clegg

Posted by St. Stephen the Stoned (# 9841) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Let''so look on the bright side for a moment. It's now 2014. That means that NEXT YEAR we can get rid of Cameron and his arse tag Clegg

*Like*

Sorry. Thought I was still on Facebook.

Happy New Year everybody.

Posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom (# 3434) on :

Sadly the thing that made 2013 ghastly for our household can only be solved by two deaths. Which sounds terrible, and will be, but my goodness, extreme old age is not fun for anyone in our family.

Posted by Anglican_Brat (# 12349) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:

Here in Canada, I'm praying that our current overlord will call an election and we'll no longer have Stephen Harper as PM.

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

Hope everyone remembered to open all the doors and windows at midnight to let the old year out and the new one in. Terrible bad luck if you didn't do that, and it will be 2013 all over again.

Posted by Sober Preacher's Kid (# 12699) on :

2013 was the Year that Almost Got Me There. I pray fervently that the Powers-that-be will send me an e-mail after January 6th Taking Me There.

So I can get the job that I want.

And for Hell's sake: Dear You, on the Board. Your uncouth comment about the character of the residents of my province of residence was dangerously near the line. Please keep your wits about you, I'm not hired yet.

Posted by PaulBC (# 13712) on :

quote:
Originally posted by The Undercover Christian:
quote:

Thoughts and prayers with you and yours, Herrick. [Votive]
I'll join you with a prayer and a hug Herrick
Get better [Votive] [Smile] [Angel] soon

Posted by PaulBC (# 13712) on :

Good bye 2013 RIP
Hello 2014 with all it's possibilites
God bless the lot of us [Votive] [Angel] [Smile]

Posted by Adeodatus (# 4992) on :

It's 2014.

And it's pissing me off already.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
It's 2014.

And it's pissing me off already.

It's certainly pissing down already. Cold and wet in South Wales, with a good half inch of rain expected. That's not much of itself, but every bloody day? The first weather and flood warnings of the year have been issued, mostly for Scotland.

Posted by Scarlet (# 1738) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
Hope everyone remembered to open all the doors and windows at midnight to let the old year out and the new one in. Terrible bad luck if you didn't do that, and it will be 2013 all over again.

It was too cold. Oh well, I am cursed anyway. [Frown]

Posted by daronmedway (# 3012) on :

My brother and I talked about this over Christmas. He said that while he couldn't bloody wait to get this year out of the way, he also realised how weird it is to think that the mere flipping over over a calendar will somehow recalibrate life's crap-o-meter.

[ 01. January 2014, 17:20: Message edited by: daronmedway ]

Posted by Highfive (# 12937) on :

My 2012, 2013 and 2014 are blended together in one huge long slog. It will be over when I wake up one morning and realise that I'm ready to take a punch again.

Posted by Nicolemr (# 28) on :

I have had much worse years than 2013, never-the-less, being slightly 13-phobic I am glad to see the end of it. I was constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Posted by jbohn (# 8753) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:

Too blasted cold for that here - it'll have to make do with the chimney.

I freaking hate 2014 so far. In just under 40 hours I've burst into tears at least half a dozen times, probably more. I'd like to exchange this new year for one that functions properly.

Posted by PeteC (# 10422) on :

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
I freaking hate 2014 so far. In just under 40 hours I've burst into tears at least half a dozen times, probably more. I'd like to exchange this new year for one that functions properly.

I've got you beat re crying. But the upside is that maybe it will get better as the year progresses.

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

2013 was not the best of years what with an RTA and resultant broken wrist, etc. I know that troubles are what add spice to life and all that but I could go for a solid 12 months of plain old boring happiness.

Do you hear me, God?

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

quote:

Think of it as getting the misery over early.

I am not passing any judgment on the year or any expectation for the year to come. On the same basis as not jumping wildly up and down while on a small paper raft going down a river full of crocodiles.

Posted by BessHiggs (# 15176) on :

I'm putting the year 2014 on notice. Stop sucking right now! Only 48 hours in and I've lost a buddy to a knife fight, and a friend is losing his son to the prison system...WTF [Mad]

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

Fuck those arbitrary marks on the calendar that focus undue attention on expectations and hopes; magnifying the pain, elevating the level of suffering.
Really, I suppose, it is simply fuck expectation. Fuck hope. Fuck trust. Fuck the vile, unredeemable, worthless, lump of shite species we are.
I'm crawling into bed and I'm not coming back out.

Posted by David (# 3) on :

I think I can win this one:

One child had surgery to realign their spine, including the fusion of 9 vertebrae.
One child had a hemithyroidectomy.
One child thinks she would be happier living as a gay man.
One wife was hit by the menopause.
One me was brutally sodomised by a black dog.

And to top it all of we've elected a fucking Abbott government and are currently reaping the maggoty rewards.

quote:
Originally posted by David:
One child thinks she would be happier living as a gay man.

So let her be happy. I've met a person who's in exactly that situation and made the change.

quote:
So let her be happy. I've met a person who's in exactly that situation and made the change.

You're right, it's exactly the same scenario, they could almost be identical twins! Wait till I tell her:
quote:
Darling! Great News! Someone on the internet who doesn't know you from fuck has solved all of your problems!
Or, you could just keep your worthless advice to yourself.

quote:
quote:

You're right, it's exactly the same scenario, they could almost be identical twins! Wait till I tell her:
quote:
Darling! Great News! Someone on the internet who doesn't know you from fuck has solved all of your problems!
Or, you could just keep your worthless advice to yourself.

*Shrug* I just can't decide how to respond to the fact that you decided to indicate she would become a gay man, and decided to go with a low-key 'it's not the end of the world' rather than flat out asking whether you're both homophobic and transphobic.

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

Maybe it's just a lot to handle, orfeo, instead of something you need to take personally.

Oh, I'm sure it is a lot to handle.

I'm not taking it personally, as I'm not trans. What little insight I have into being trans mostly stems from a period of my career some years ago where I was working on trans human rights issues. I'm also not going to pretend that the gay community doesn't have its own massive issues with accepting trans people.

It just doesn't seem to me like a good thing to list this in 'disasters that have befallen our family this year'. I see nothing disastrous about one of your children finally having the courage to tell you how they've been feeling for most of their life.

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

He didn't say it was a disaster, just as he didn't say she "would become a gay man" -- those were your words.

I didn't invent the phrase 'gay man'. If you want to split hairs between 'living as a gay man' and 'become a gay man' then knock yourself out. Right after you tell me how many angels are dancing on this pin.

As for the rest, I am simply saying how it came across. We're on a thread about how awful 2013 was for people. The other entries for his children are about bad things. It was extremely jarring, for me, to read those entries about bad things and then read an entry about what is not, in my view a bad thing. A tough thing, yes, but it was jarring to have it tossed into the mix with major surgery.

[ 06. January 2014, 23:35: Message edited by: orfeo ]

quote:

It just doesn't seem to me like a good thing to list this in 'disasters that have befallen our family this year'. I see nothing disastrous about one of your children finally having the courage to tell you how they've been feeling for most of their life.

What the FUCK do you know about the situation? "Most of their life"? How the fucking hell do you know that? Anything you have to say on the subject is utterly worthless, because you know absolutely nothing, so you and everyone else would be better off if you simply shut up.

quote:
How the fucking hell do you know that?

Probability. I don't 'know' it.

quote:
As for the rest, I am simply saying how it came across. We're on a thread about how awful 2013 was for people. The other entries for his children are about bad things. It was extremely jarring, for me, to read those entries about bad things and then read an entry about what is not, in my view a bad thing. A tough thing, yes, but it was jarring to have it tossed into the mix with major surgery.

Maybe some post-menopausal women will shriek at me for mentioning the Change of Life in the same post as major surgery.

quote:
quote:

Maybe some post-menopausal women will shriek at me for mentioning the Change of Life in the same post as major surgery.
Maybe. Depends if they think going through the change was a bad experience.

PS Fascinating verb choice, 'shriek'.

[ 07. January 2014, 01:13: Message edited by: orfeo ]

Posted by RooK (# 1852) on :

You have to go easy on ol' David. Being the original Hellhost messed him up. Also, he's old and senile. Apparently.

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
You have to go easy on ol' David. Being the original Hellhost messed him up. Also, he's old and senile. Apparently.

Go easy on me? I thought that was already happening.

Anyway, I'm not that old.

It's okay, I've put the cocoa on.

quote:

Anyway, I'm not that old.

of course you're not, dear.

Menopause? Fucking brilliant. You have no idea how good it is to be over All That.

Is that what Hellhosting does to people?

Yes, the natural progression is as follows:

1) Rough-tongued eager nOOb.
2) Charming quick-witted razor-tongued Shipmate.
3) Embittered misanthropic but hard-working Hellhost.
4) Broken soulless husk Administrator.
5) Raving loon typing with their toes because of the straightjacket while staring at their spittle-flecked monitor.

David is phase 5.

quote:
Yes, the natural progression is as follows:

1) Rough-tongued eager nOOb.
2) Charming quick-witted razor-tongued Shipmate.
3) Embittered misanthropic but hard-working Hellhost.
4) Broken soulless husk Administrator.
5) Raving loon typing with their toes because of the straightjacket while staring at their spittle-flecked monitor.

David is phase 5.

Yes, but I did the first 4 stages at the same time. Except the "hardworking" bit. And "charming"? There's no call for that sort of language around here.

ETA: Phase 5 isn't inevitable. Some Hell Hosts die before they get there.

[ 07. January 2014, 20:40: Message edited by: David ]

Is it possible to just skip past phase 4? That one sounds less fun.

quote:
Is it possible to just skip past phase 4? That one sounds less fun.

I don't think you'll have any choice but to skip it.

ZING!

some of us follow the sequence 1-2-3-5-3.

quote:
Phase 5 isn't inevitable. Some Hell Hosts die before they get there.

I just realized that this is a threat. You complete bastard.

quote:
quote:
Phase 5 isn't inevitable. Some Hell Hosts die before they get there.

I just realized that this is a threat. You complete bastard.
I'd be happier if someone had nominated me in the 2014 Death Pool [Frown]

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
some of us follow the sequence 1-2-3-5-3.

*writes down comet's PIN*

EDIT: You realise, don't you, that all the regular Shipmates have completely abandoned this thread now, and it's become the plaything of current and former Hosts and Admins.

[ 08. January 2014, 06:26: Message edited by: orfeo ]

It's like an episode of celebrity Big Brother.

Who's going to do the nude shower scene?

RooK and David together!

I knew santa was just late this year!

[Yipee]

Posted by Patdys (# 9397) on :

There are limits you know.

Party pooper.

Posted by Wesley J (# 6075) on :

The shite is the limit?

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
It's like an episode of celebrity Big Brother.

That is likely the worst insult I've heard in quite a while. Not saying your wrong, mind, but still....

[Tear] lil b, you get me.

© Ship of Fools 2016