Thread: divorce Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=026992

Posted by Taliesin (# 14017) on :

This is not rhetorical.

Divorce is a sin, I am divorced. Can anyone tell me what the churches response to me, is? What am I actually supposed to do?

And if you're a trendy liberal who can't see why people fuss about marriage in general and same sex marriage in particular, then obviously I'm not talking to you, savvy?

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

Which church? And are you a person divorced from their same sex spouse since you raised this in Dead Horses? (As a "a trendy liberal" who does understand the "fuss" although doesn't agree with all its implications, I hope you don't mind my asking, savvy?)

Posted by SvitlanaV2 (# 16967) on :

The British Methodist Church certainly isn't 'trendy', but it seems to be one of the most liberal of the mainstream churches in the UK regarding divorce.

I believe there was a time when a high percentage of Methodist weddings involved divorcees. This was because divorced people would often turn to the Methodist Church when the CofE refused to remarry them. The clergy (who themselves may divorce and remarry) no doubt expect couples to have learnt from their prior experience and to take remarriage seriously, but in my many years as a Methodist I've never heard of divorce and/or remarriage representing a problem.

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

This isn't a DH topic. Purg Hosts may wish to redirect this discussion to the Pope Francis thread, or accept a fresh thread. I've asked them.

Feel free to discuss pro tem, but you will either be on the move or redirected shortly.

Barnabas62
DH Host

The thread's off to Purg to discuss divorce as a general topic. If anyone wants to discuss same-sex divorce as a separate topic, please feel free to start a thread specifically for that purpose.

Barnabas62
DH Host

Posted by Polly (# 1107) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Taliesin:
This is not rhetorical.

Divorce is a sin, I am divorced. Can anyone tell me what the churches response to me, is? What am I actually supposed to do?

And if you're a trendy liberal who can't see why people fuss about marriage in general and same sex marriage in particular, then obviously I'm not talking to you, savvy?

I have no knowledge of your circumstances but there is always grace.

I'm a Baptist Pastor and have a few divorced folk in my church and have even officiated over one's (2nd) marriage.

So to answer your question you'd be vey welcome.

Posted by Zacchaeus (# 14454) on :

The churches view (cofe) is that marriage is a faithful lifelong commitment, however it recognises that we are human and not perfect and that mistakes happen and we need to be gracious.

After all the church is full of divorced people or those whose close family are divorced

ps. I am married to a divorced person

Posted by Lucia (# 15201) on :

You might find David Instone-Brewer's work on the Biblical grounds for divorce interesting.

Summed up in a simple presentation here

Posted by Hairy Biker (# 12086) on :

I think the RC line is that you are supposed to stay single and celibate as long as your first partner is alive. If you remarry, you commit adultery with your new wife and would not be allowed to receive the sacraments.

However I know of one case where a remarried woman is accepted as a Eucharistic Minister, so there may well be some priests who are willing to interpret things differently.

Posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard (# 368) on :

I've become a trendy liberal, pro-gay marriage the lot wuss, from a bitterly conservative background as the result of becoming biblically orthodox: seeing the trajectory of grace, particularly with regard to marriage which took a great leap forward in the Bronze Age when even slave wives could walk away from a loveless marriage contract.

Let alone one full of lies, deceit, betrayal, brutality, madness, addiction, deprivation, depravity, dysfunction, abuse, syphilis.

Yep, Christians should make the Christian best of it, i.e. with the fruits of the spirit. Where one or both can't, it's over. And not alive still in heaven.

The church's job? To protect. To shepherd. To counsel. To bless. In remarriage where there is no reason why not.

Posted by Hairy Biker (# 12086) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lucia:
You might find David Instone-Brewer's work on the Biblical grounds for divorce interesting.

Summed up in a simple presentation here

Thanks for that Lucia. That link didn't work for me but I found it here

one of his statements:
quote:
Divorce itself is not sinful, but breaking your marriage vows is sinful
does not make sense. Divorce is breaking your marriage vows! The vow that goes "till death do us part". This is not conditional, so divorce is a breaking of it.

[Disclosure: I am divorced and remarried]

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

quote:

I don't "savvy" in the least. It was the liberals who have gone before us that made divorce socially acceptable. You very likely wouldn't be divorced if it weren't for liberals.

What are you supposed to do? Same as everyone else. Micah 6:8 doesn't change no matter what your marital status is.

Posted by Gwalchmai (# 17802) on :

Some churches (I am thinking RCC in particular, but there are hardline clergy in the CofE) make divorce the unforgivable sin. Is it really Christian to say that all other sins (murder, for example)can be forgiven but not suffering the break-up of a marriage? That is not my idea of Christianity.

Posted by cliffdweller (# 13338) on :

quote:
This is not rhetorical.

I'm an evangelical, so I guess I qualify as a "non-trendy liberal" and I do fuss/care about marriage (tho not so much about SSM), so don't know if you want my 2 cents or not... but...

I'm an evangelical, ordained clergy. And I'm divorced. So the church's response has been, in my experience... grace.

My take on it is this:
1. The Bible has some strong words to say about divorce, and even says "God hates divorce"
2. Jesus 'raises the bar" on divorce, but also provides some exceptions (and yes, I know the exceptions may be a scribal gloss, but they are also part of canonical Scripture, thus authoritative)

That tells me that God doesn't like divorce, but not because he doesn't like "rule breaking". God hates divorce, because divorce causes tremendous pain and suffering-- for everyone involved. You know that already. God isn't opposed to you, he is opposed to the painful circumstances you find yourself in.

I'm not one to say "it takes two to divorce"-- in most states in the US, that's not the case, and in many/most divorces there's one person who wants it a lot more than the other. There are all sorts of reasons and circumstances. I know nothing about any of that for you and your situation. I only know that God does know-- it all. God knows, and he cares. He cares about your failures and he cares about your pain. And he is not anywhere close to done w/ you. There is grace and there is life ahead.

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

Divorce is a sin. But God forgives sin.

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

Not every person who is divorced chose to be divorced. I find it hard to call it "sin" when it wasn't chosen (and all the inevitable DH places that goes...)

I'd rather say, "divorce is brokenness". We have divorce because of the brokenness of this world.

Posted by Palimpsest (# 16772) on :

There was an interesting article in the New York Times about an Orthodox Jewish Woman getting a divorce. After the ceremony, the Chief Rabbi of the court told her a story;
The temple altar, the Talmud says, weeps when a man divorces his wife. When a revered rabbi got divorced, his students came to him and asked: “How can this be? Does our tradition not teach that the altar weeps over a divorce?”

The rabbi looked at his students. “Better the altar should weep than should I.”

Posted by Gramps49 (# 16378) on :

I will just copy and paste what the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America says about divorce and remarriage:

The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America recognizes that divorce is often a tragic necessity when, as a result of sin, a marriage is no longer viable. Those who obtain a divorce are encouraged to recognize their own contributions to the failure of the marriage. Divorced persons may remarry in the church.

In other words: divorce itself is not a sin. It happens usually because of sin. For those who want to remarry a little more counseling is recommended 1) to ensure the parties have sufficiently gone through the grief process (in a way, it never ends) and 2) to ensure the parties are committed to getting beyond the problems that caused a divorce.

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

quote:
This is not rhetorical.

Okay, this below isn't real helpful, and contains a hell of a lot of yaffling on, but you aren't supposed to do anything. You haven't got a time machine! Wait a minute, you are supposed to do one thing--to receive the kindness and love of God, and stop worrying about anything in the past, whether it's divorce or anything else.

As for whether divorce is a sin--

Well, it's an evil, certainly--in the same sense in which cancer or war or poverty are evils. They are horrible things which ought not to exist in a perfect world. But they do exist, and people suffer from them, including total innocents. And Christians ought to do what they can to make things better wherever these evils do exist (and duh, not to make things worse, like by being nasty to people who suffer from them).

But a thing can be an evil and not be a sin. It only takes one person to break a marriage. And sometimes it doesn't even take one--I know of a case involving psychotic break, and neither person was responsible for what happened.

And even if it IS your sin (general "your" here), it is forgivable as all sins are forgivable (yeah, yeah, I know about the single exception, but it certainly isn't divorce!).

I know the arguments that say that a person who remarries is committing adultery again and again and again. I do not believe or agree with this. Once a marriage is shattered, it's broken. It isn't going to get any more broken because of repeated acts of sex etc. Does a mirror get more broken if it gets dropped repeatedly?

A broken marriage may be re-made (if both persons are able and willing to make the attempt, along with a shedload of divine and human help!), but in that case it's basically a new marriage--rather like melting down shattered glass and recasting the mirror or whatever it was. It's a new thing, not the old thing carrying on. And it seems to me that the act of breaking a marriage does not happen when the papers are signed, or when a remarriage is contracted, but much earlier. For example, when one partner commits adultery, or desertion, or ...

(I suspect the reason Christ mentioned adultery as an "exception" is because if adultery has happened, the marriage is already broken. The same goes for Paul's counsel regarding desertion. In such cases, the marriage is clearly kaput and the Christian believer is not obliged to try to raise the dead, as it were. Which is what the RC church seems to me to be requiring. Oy vey.)

So if someone is already divorced, what are they to do? Behave like any other Christian believer whose sins are forgiven. (and hopefully learn from the experience, as we all ought to do from our own broken places)

Should they be admitted to the Lord's Supper? Lord, yes. They need it desperately.

Should they be admitted to Christian leadership? Not until they've healed. Divorce seems a lot like amputation, to me. It's going to take time to heal. And a healing person should not be placed under additional strain. The amount of time this takes will differ from person to person, I think. And you'd not want someone scandalous in leadership at any time (say, a person whose divorce is the direct result of running off with a thirteen-year-old child they've gotten pregnant). But that isn't most divorced people, is it?

As for remarriage--I think this has to be allowed to divorced people, even those who have been classic adulterers and totally wronged their 100% innocent first spouses. Unless anybody wants to reinstute OT Jewish Law and stone the people. Because anyone who commits adultery clearly doesn't have the supernatural gift of celibacy, and the only way they can reasonably be expected to stay out of sexual sin in the future is if they're either dead or remarried. And if we concede this to former adulterers, how much more to those who are not!

Forgive the longwindedness.

Posted by Freddy (# 365) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Hairy Biker:
one of his statements:
quote:
does not make sense. Divorce is breaking your marriage vows! The vow that goes "till death do us part". This is not conditional, so divorce is a breaking of it.
It makes sense to me. "Breaking your marriage vows" refers not to separation, which may happen for any number of reasons, but to infidelity.

So splitting up is not the issue. The issue is getting together with someone else.

And in most traditions this is not an issue either for the injured party (i.e. Matthew 19:9). They are free to marry as they wish.

What we are talking about here, I assume, is when we leave a person who has not been unfaithful to us, and then take up with someone else. This is wrong, according to almost all Christian traditions.

What then? I think that we all know many people in that situation. We also know many people who do other things that might be held up to moral scrutiny. It is a painful part of life. Repentance involves understanding what is right and wrong, seeing our faults, taking steps to avoid repeating them, and many other things.

I think that it is important to understand that everyone has things in their life that they are not proud of, that trouble them, and that they are trying to get past. Relationship issues loom large among them.

Posted by Leorning Cniht (# 17564) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gwalchmai:
Some churches (I am thinking RCC in particular, but there are hardline clergy in the CofE) make divorce the unforgivable sin.

This is a misrepresentation. Divorce can most certainly be forgiven. It just doesn't follow that forgiving divorce is the same as waving a magic wand and pretending that the marriage didn't happen. If I lend you my car and you crash it, I can forgive you, but my car is still in bits in the ditch.

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

Not every person who is divorced chose to be divorced. I find it hard to call it "sin" when it wasn't chosen (and all the inevitable DH places that goes...)

I'd rather say, "divorce is brokenness". We have divorce because of the brokenness of this world.

I think we're talking past each other. I didn't say "every person who is now divorced sinned by being divorced" -- certainly there are people who do everything they can to stay married, but their spouse will have none of it.

But also I believe it is possible to sin unintentionally, and even unknowingly. This is a question of different concepts of sin. If you take a judicial, law-based understanding of sin, then of course intention has a huge deal to do with it; you shouldn't be condemned before the law for something you didn't choose to do. But that's only one way of looking at sin. Sin as brokenness, as you allude to, is not a question of legal blame.

Posted by Philip Charles (# 618) on :

I presume that people are meaning 'dissolution of marriage' when they are talking about divorce. Marriages break down and partners separate without any 'dissolution of marriage' taking place. Some pedants would describe these couples as divorced even if they are still living under the same roof. The dissolution of a marriage is a legal recognition that the marriage has broken down. Surly if there is any sin it occurs during the marriage and contributes to its breakdown.

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

I think a lot depends on the attitude. Jesus said that Moses permitted divorce because our hearts are hard. To me this is a recongition of human fallibility.

I've seen a big difference in attitude between people who genuinely regret the failure of a first marriage (for whatever reason) and approach the possibility of remarriage as an expression of grace (as others have said) and people who come brandishing this avenue of grace as a right to which they are entitled.

I recall in particular a pastor I knew who divorced his wife to marry his mistress, with whom he had fathered a child, proclaiming that this child was (somehow) the "bolt" (sic) that sealed and legitimised the latter relationship, fully justified a remarriage, and pretty much to hell with anyone who dared suggest otherwise (he wrote a book about all this).

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

quote:

In a later post, you also note that in many of the US states it does not take 2 to divorce. That is very much the position here, where divorce laws are federal, not state - the only ground for divorce is irretrievable breakdown of marriage, and the only evidence of that is 12 months separation. So should one party simply walk out and remain away, after 12 months that party can obtain a divorce. The only possible defence is that there has not been the 12 months of living separately and apart, and there is no discretion to refuse a decree.

But here, and in most of the jurisdictions I know of, the marriage recognised by law is a purely secular event to which parties may at their discretion add a religious component*. Divorce law only deals with the secular component** and extends to such matters as ongoing maintenance, distribution of property and custody of children. To hearken back to the Extraordinary Synod thread, it would be a good outcome of that Synod were the Catholic Church to recognise the existence of both components and the validity of the divorce at least for these secular matters.

So to be divorced pure and simple is no impediment to full participation in a church life. There may still be some Anglican churches where a second marriage would not be carried out in the church, and the remarriage treated as resulting in sinful acts. That is the position of most Catholic churches although there are some where a more liberal approach is adopted. In the last 40 years or more, I have not heard of any problems with divorce in the mainline Protestant churches.

* Both are dealt with simultaneously here, unlike the common European practice of 2 ceremonies.

** It is common here for an application for the dissolution of the marriage of a Jewish couple to include a request for an order that the other party take all steps necessary for a Get to be obtained.

Oh goodness, sorry people, I opened the thread, then my battery died... here I am this morning, realising I should have linked to the thread which spawned this one, at least. [Hot and Hormonal]

On the thread in DH that pointed out kids leaving the church and citing attitudes to GLBT, I pointed out that in the lifetime of the elderly in the churches, attitudes to divorce have changed completely. Methodists have been marrying divorcees for decades, and say, without a trace of irony, that it's not for them to judge, but God.

In my church I am totally acceptable. I could become a lay preacher, my children can be baptised, my husband and I are welcome as a proper couple everywhere, no raised eyebrows or veiled comments.

Interestingly, the young mum who is a lay preacher, missionary, primary school teacher and all round good egg does get some disapproval because she's not married to the baby's dad. Not much, but significantly, from the old guard.

Baby was happy accident. But even so, she was obviously living with the divorced man who is the dad, he is always prevailed upon to fix the church roof or whatever, why should having a baby and being a bloody good parent suddenly bar her from ministry?

To return to me and the DH, for my sister to be acceptable to the church she should leave her wife and be celibate for the rest of her life, apparently. What about if she agreed to be celibate but just loved her wife?

But I divorced my husband because I was terribly unhappy and I've married my current husband. I've since become a Christian. We weren't married in church. I have two girls from my first registry office marriage and two boys from my second.

None of the children are christened because my husband is starting anti church. Though he would also fix the roof because he's a sweetie.

So here is my question to bible believing Christians, am I in trouble with God, and what do I actually do about it?

Posted by ExclamationMark (# 14715) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Polly:
quote:
This is not rhetorical.

I have no knowledge of your circumstances but there is always grace.

I'm a Baptist Pastor and have a few divorced folk in my church and have even officiated over one's (2nd) marriage.

So to answer your question you'd be vey welcome.

Same here - although one rider. I'd be more concerned about marrying a couple who are both divorced and where one was the cause of the break up of the other (new) partner's marriage.

I don't say I wouldn't do it but I'd have to explore a little more fully why they now want to marry and what has changed to bring them to this point. What I don't want to see is the church being used to recognise and affirm "adultery "

Double post to add, 'starting' should read 'strongly' but the auto correct on this is a constant battle, and I can't link to posts, or I would create a link to my post in the DH thread. I really appreciate the responses so far, really thoughtful and interesting.

Posted by ExclamationMark (# 14715) on :

quote:
So here is my question to bible believing Christians, am I in trouble with God, and what do I actually do about it?

Well, we're all in trouble with God for something - it's called sin. But I don't see you being in any more trouble than I am (and I'm married) just because you are divorced.

What the parallel discussion on the Pope Francis thread clarified is the Catholic position. You may have to separate, and you may indeed get a civil divorce as a result. And that may indeed be a just outcome, since issues such as personal safety, or the safety of children, may be at risk if you continue to live with the person you married.

But if you have been properly married once, you cannot remarry. If you do, you commit adultery. If you do remarry in a civil ceremony, and are in a full sexual relationship with your remarried partner, then the Catholic church will, at present, regard you as living in an ongoing, sinful state.

You can read a lot more about that position, and the arguments for and against, on that thread.

What the Orthodox say has been for me best summed up by this quote.

quote:
According to the spirit of Orthodoxy the unity of the married couple cannot be maintained through the virtue of juridical obligation alone; the formal unity must be consistent with an internal symphony. The problem arises when it is no longer possible to salvage anything of this symphony, for “then the bond that was originally considered indissoluble is already dissolved and the law can offer nothing to replace grace and can neither heal nor resurrect, nor say: ‘Stand up and go’”.
The Church recognizes that there are cases in which marriage life has no content or may even lead to loss of the soul. The Holy John Chrysostom says in this regard that: “better to break the covenant than to lose one’s soul”.Nevertheless, the Orthodox Church sees divorce as a tragedy due to human weakness and sin.
It is important here to explain a fundamental element of the Orthodox Church’s doctrine, namely that the dissolving of a marriage relationship does not ipso facto grant the right to enter into another marriage.
By the way, divorce and remarriage are only permitted in the context of “economia”, that is, out of pastoral care, out of understanding for weakness. A second or third marriage will always be a deviation from the “ideal and unique marriage”, but often a fresh opportunity to correct a mistake.

Quotes from this link.

What Protestants say depends on which denomination you belong to. If you go to a church and it is an issue for you, it is best to find out what the line is in that church, with that particular pastor. The great majority of Protestant churches have no difficulty in allowing divorced people into membership, though there is variation over permitted roles and also whether remarriages can take place within the church (rather than a civil ceremony).

It is a complex picture.

For all of the Christians I know, who have lived through marriage breakup, divorce and remarriage, the major issue of conscience has been over the lifelong vows they made before God. Most know that they have broken a promise themselves, no matter how they see the behaviour of their ex-partners. For better, for worse, til death do us part. Worse means worse. Most did not know how bad it could get until they had to live with it, found no cure despite in many cases very great efforts. They found that the marriage had died and their hope in its resurrection had died as well. After that, it was making the best of a bad job.

Again, in my experience, second marriages between Christians turn out to be better than their first marriages. Folks have lived and learned more about compatibility, the differences between selfish and unselfish loving, the fact that we when we fall in love we can fool ourselves about the person we've become attracted to, etc.

For anyone who is genuinely troubled by this issue in their personal lives, I think the best answer is always to work it through with people they know and trust in real life. Websites like this can provide facts and ranges of opinions, but in the end it is a matter for the individual to come to terms with their beliefs, personal consciences, and any tension which exists between the two.

[ 04. March 2014, 08:40: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

Posted by Ahleal V (# 8404) on :

I'm honestly curious as to why so many posters presume that divorce allows for a re-marriage as opposed to separation?

"Everyone who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and he who marries a woman divorced from her husband commits adultery." [Luke 16:18 ESV]

Baptism is for life, Confirmation is for life, as is Ordination. Why should it not be the case for Marriage? (At least, for the life of the couple who are so joined.)

These are hard words, indeed. But the NT is full of hard words, some of them considerably harder then these.

I never thought I was a particularly extreme Anglican, but I seem to be quite out of pace with the thinking on this one.

x

AV

[ 04. March 2014, 10:28: Message edited by: Ahleal V ]

Posted by IngoB (# 8700) on :

quote:
But I divorced my husband because I was terribly unhappy and I've married my current husband. I've since become a Christian.

Does this mean that you (and/or your previous partner) were not baptised prior to your first marriage? At least the RCC would consider that as very important in judging your current status... see for example here for an explanation. If your previous marriage did not rest on all four of those pillars, then by RC understanding it was not sacramental; hence it could be dissolved, and apparently you did dissolve it. That means your current marriage is OK at least concerning the existence of a prior (not-sacramental and dissolved) marriage for RCs.

Posted by seekingsister (# 17707) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ahleal V:

Baptism is for life, Confirmation is for life, as is Ordination. Why should it not be the case for Marriage? (At least, for the life of the couple who are so joined.)

It should be the case.

The issues being raised are:

- should the victim of a spouse who cheats/abuses/abandons them be consigned to a life of celibacy because of sins committed by their ex

- what is the likelihood that a cheater who abandons their spouse is capable of living a life of celibacy, and might it not be better for that person to marry rather than burn (to paraphrase Paul)

Posted by Mudfrog (# 8116) on :

My attitude, reflecting The Salvation Army's view, is that if a remarriage will be a means of grace to a hurting individual or 2 hurting individuals, then of course remarriage should be graciously allowed. Why would we want to perpetuate loneliness and unfulfilment in a person's life through the unwanted failure of their relationship. Remember, marriage is not (merely) a legally binding contract, it is the loving covenant entered into with honest and hopeful intent. The failure of the marriage is deeply and personally felt and can only bring great regret and remorse, even when it's the best thing for reasons of safety, sanity, or happiness.

If a person subsequently can find a partner whose very presence can bring healing and self-worth, another opportunity to express love and commitment, then it can only be right for the church to offer the grace of marriage as long as the intent is as pure the second time as it was with the first marriage.

However, I would personally take an extremely dim view of a remarriage where the person requesting said marriage was the cause of the breakdown of the first relationship, even if if the divorce proceedings were precipitated by the innocent party. And if someone has left a marriage specifically to pursue a second relationship with a particular person, I would refuse outright.

quote:
Originally posted by seekingsister:
quote:

It should be the case. The issues being raised are:
- should the victim of a spouse who cheats/abuses/abandons them be consigned to a life of celibacy because of sins committed by their ex
- what is the likelihood that a cheater who abandons their spouse is capable of living a life of celibacy, and might it not be better for that person to marry rather than burn (to paraphrase Paul)

That's precisely the wrong way of thinking, and for just the reason that Ahleal V raised. Sacramental marriage is not a matter of morality (what should be the case) but of being (what has become the case). One cannot become unbaptised, unconfirmed, unordained or (sacramentally) unmarried, once one has been baptised, confirmed, ordained or (sacramentally) married, respectively. No human power can achieve this. The particular difficulty of sacramental marriage is that one side of the "union of one flesh" can unilaterally sin, and thereby victimise the other side. But that just is the risk one runs when tying oneself to another in a sacrament, and the mere fact that someone can get hurt by someone else's sin via this sacrament does not prove that it does not exist.

So, the victim of an unfaithful spouse may indeed be condemned by them to a life of sexual continence. And arguably that's a more "personal" hurt than say the life of sexual continence to which the opposite gender at large condemns one who cannot find a partner to marry. But that one can be hurt with something does not make it pop out of existence. And I'm not quite sure how the "cheater" ends up being concerned with sexual continence in your second question. But good on them if they are, and yes, the same rules apply. The "cheater" cannot get past their sacramental marriage any more than the "victim", simply because that is an objective (if spiritual) reality.

quote:
quote:

Baptism is for life, Confirmation is for life...

Are they?
Does being baptised as a baby and then confirmed as a teenager guarantee a life of saving grace and eternal life in the presence of Christ?

I don't think so. These things are cheapened beyond measure if one beliefs that they are simply a pre-paid insurance policy against damnation. I would have thought that one should actually live up to one's baptism and confirmation.

I see nothing in the Bible that suggests these two ceremonies are sufficient and have no need to living faith. The epistles of Paul - indeed the entire teaching of the New Testament - strongly suggest otherwise.

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
That's precisely the wrong way of thinking

I am speaking from my own opinion, and not in regard to the view held by the Roman Catholic Church. The person I responded to is an Anglican.

Feel free to have a problem with my thinking, but to call it wrong, within the context of the Church of England's view on divorce, is inappropriate.

quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
Are they?
Does being baptised as a baby and then confirmed as a teenager guarantee a life of saving grace and eternal life in the presence of Christ?

A more appropriate analogy is, being baptized as an infant and then as an adult converting to Islam. I suppose those churches that hold to the view that baptism and confirmation are one-time deals, believe that the conversion to another religion is just pretend or make-believe.

Because that's certainly their view of second marriages - that they are a farce.

quote:
quote:
Are they?

A more appropriate analogy is, being baptized as an infant and then as an adult converting to Islam. I suppose those churches that hold to the view that baptism and confirmation are one-time deals, believe that the conversion to another religion is just pretend or make-believe.

Because that's certainly their view of second marriages - that they are a farce.

Indeed. It's why baptismal regeneration is nonsense.

Posted by Erroneous Monk (# 10858) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
quote:
Originally posted by Hairy Biker:
one of his statements:
quote:
It makes sense to me. "Breaking your marriage vows" refers not to separation, which may happen for any number of reasons, but to infidelity.

So splitting up is not the issue. The issue is getting together with someone else.

Says you.

Clearly the marriage vows promise a life of intimacy and proximity ("to have and to hold, to love and to cherish" or whatever formula used) until the death of one or other spouse.

Breaking these vows through withdrawal of intimacy or abandonment is no less breaking one's marriage vows than infidelity. My Nuptial Mass didn't involve me "vowing" fidelity at all, but did say that the exchange of rings was a sign of fidelity. Yes, I do appreciate that fidelity is, in any case, one of the obligations of marriage, but to say that "breaking vows" means infidelity only seems bizarre to me.

quote:

However, I would personally take an extremely dim view of a remarriage where the person requesting said marriage was the cause of the breakdown of the first relationship, even if if the divorce proceedings were precipitated by the innocent party. And if someone has left a marriage specifically to pursue a second relationship with a particular person, I would refuse outright.

This seems to me to be an arbitrary way for people to draw lines when people are not really in a position to judge the relative "wrongness" of any marriage breakdown.

quote:

No, it doesn't guarantee this. But it makes it possible.

quote:
These things are cheapened beyond measure if one beliefs that they are simply a pre-paid insurance policy against damnation. I would have thought that one should actually live up to one's baptism and confirmation. I see nothing in the Bible that suggests these two ceremonies are sufficient and have no need to living faith.

Given that you hold forth so strongly against this opinion, I'm sure you are able to point to someone who actually holds it. After all, you wouldn't want to be caught fighting straw men, would you now? Or are you simply being particularly blissful today?

quote:
I am speaking from my own opinion, and not in regard to the view held by the Roman Catholic Church. The person I responded to is an Anglican. Feel free to have a problem with my thinking, but to call it wrong, within the context of the Church of England's view on divorce, is inappropriate.

Why would it be inappropriate for me to call your thinking and apparently the CofE's view wrong, given that they are both at odds with reality and the truth in my opinion? If you had said something like "the CofE teaches that ...", then it might be inappropriate to call that wrong. Because your opinion about what the CofE teaches could be right, even if the CofE teaches falsehood.

It's the wrong way of thinking for a Roman Catholic. Which HAS to be fine by non-Roman Catholics, no matter how awful it looks from the outside.

(So, sorry for the previous pot shots!)

The Roman Catholic position is what it is and as in all areas of distinct, mandatory Roman Catholic teaching cannot be questioned, with a view to antithetically challenging it, using Roman Catholic epistemology. That isn't logically possible.

Those of us who are from non and post-Roman Catholic, indeed non and post-sacramental, traditions are doing what Brian said: working it out for ourselves based on a faithful postmodern trajectory.

Which is where David Instone-Brewer fits. And John Piper doesn't.

And thanks Barnabas62. Most inclusive.

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

The point is, that one either agrees with IngoB and the RCC or one doesn't. It's logical but it's a bit like getting stuck on whether one can eat milk and meat at the same meal. If one doesn't, as so often, Lamb Chopped talks a lot of compassionate sense.

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
Why would it be inappropriate for me to call your thinking and apparently the CofE's view wrong, given that they are both at odds with reality and the truth in my opinion? If you had said something like "the CofE teaches that ...", then it might be inappropriate to call that wrong. Because your opinion about what the CofE teaches could be right, even if the CofE teaches falsehood.

You are picking a fight with me, based on an entirely reasonable post that doesn't say what one should or must think, but simply lists two of the issues being debated in this thread.

Take it to Hell buddy.

[ 04. March 2014, 12:48: Message edited by: seekingsister ]

quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:
This seems to me to be an arbitrary way for people to draw lines when people are not really in a position to judge the relative "wrongness" of any marriage breakdown.

What isn't a minister in a position to judge the causes of a marital breakdown? Aren't they the ones who conduct the marriages in the first place? I think ministers see quite a lot of couples in different stages of life and relationships, and are probably infinitely more capable of using good judgement in this area than, perhaps, the courts or lawyers are.

quote:

No, you are not in trouble with God, how should you be? "the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin." (1 John 1:7)

The point to the divorce sayings, whatever you make of them, is guidance in the future. It is not to make forgiven, washed-clean Christians worry about the past.

As Paul puts it, after naming off a bunch of sins, "And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God." (1 Corinthians 6:11)

That's it. Finished. End of story. Forgiven. Over.

At this point, if you go back to God on it and start fussing about shades of possible guilt and what-should-I-do-now, you're likely to get a pair of raised eyebrows and "What? Whatever are you talking about?"

Because "I will be merciful toward their iniquities,
and I will remember their sins no more.”
(Hebrews 8:12)

He really meant it.

quote:
quote:

What isn't a minister in a position to judge the causes of a marital breakdown?
In my view, no, nor is it their job.

quote:
]In my view, no, nor is it their job.

I find it odd - that church staff do premarital courses and marriage courses, but in your view are not in suitable position to counsel on remarriage.

quote:
Indeed. It's why baptismal regeneration is nonsense.

Mudfrog, this is a total tangent and I don't want to take it further on this thread than this post (but would be happy to discuss by PM or on anothe thread), but baptismal regeneration is not what you think it is. We who believe in it do NOT accept the Calvinist idea of "once saved, always saved." So get it right out of your head that we regard baptism as some sort of automatic "get out of hell" card. It is a gift, and a powerful one. But you can always throw the gift away, if you're of a (astonishingly foolish) mind to.

quote:
quote:

I find it odd - that church staff do premarital courses and marriage courses, but in your view are not in suitable position to counsel on remarriage.
There's a distinction, isn't there, between counselling on remarriage and determining whether remarriage is actually *possible*?

seekingsister. Let him. And bless him. And Ahleal V. And other non-postmodern views here. When I made my pot-shot on the other thread, I was implicitly INCLUDING you by the way. And I'm sorry for not being able to say that then. I'd have come unstuck with the Host I feared. To the Roman Catholic eye we are invincibly ignorant of our all but unforgivable sin: God may be able to change our minds to agree with Him in Purgatory.

quote:
You are picking a fight with me, based on an entirely reasonable post that doesn't say what one should or must think, but simply lists two of the issues being debated in this thread. Take it to Hell buddy.

I'm picking a fight with you concerning your opinions, not concerning your person, and I will do so here. As for your post, you answered in the affirmative to Ahleal V, but then re-iterated issues which - if one agrees with Ahleal V - are actually non-issues. That is what my response pointed out.

quote:
There's a distinction, isn't there, between counselling on remarriage and determining whether remarriage is actually *possible*?

In many churches, remarriage is considered possible, and it is in that context mudfrog, being a Salvation Army officer, speaks. And as he says, in such a church the minister may use his discretion to determine whether or not he is willing to perform a remarriage under the circumstances presented.

quote:
quote:

In many churches, remarriage is considered possible, and it is in that context mudfrog, being a Salvation Army officer, speaks. And as he says, in such a church the minister may use his discretion to determine whether or not he is willing to perform a remarriage under the circumstances presented.
Which gets us back to where we came in. How would a minister ever know they had a full and unbiased appraisal of the facts?

In reality, only a couple of people really know who left whom for whom and why. I wouldn't want to be the judge.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Which gets us back to where we came in. How would a minister ever know they had a full and unbiased appraisal of the facts?

In reality, only a couple of people really know who left whom for whom and why. I wouldn't want to be the judge.

Obviously no one can ever fully know another one's heart, the hidden sins, their motives, the complex mitigating factors. And none of us perfectly knows the heart of God and how divine mercy tempers divine judgment.

But a pastor is called most of all to "the cure of souls"-- to provide life-giving counsel that requires us to enter into that fraught territory. We will do so imperfectly. We will blunder and assume wrongly. Hopefully, we do all that with a huge dose of humility and compassion-- and a tremendous amount of prayer. But asking a pastor now to weigh in on a matter of such spiritual significance is like asking a fire-fighter not to venture near fire. That's our job.

seekingsister

IngoB is well within the rules. If you are fed up with him, you can call him to Hell.

Barnabas42
Purgatory Host

Making judgements of this sort is surely part of the job of being a Protestant minister of religion?

Of course, these days, if a minister doesn't feel that s/he can conduct a marriage ceremony in good conscience then a couple can go elsewhere and find a minister who will. Whether we think this embarrassment of choice is a good thing is another matter, but this is the inevitable outcome of having a plurality of denominations and theological variety within individual denominations.

Posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras (# 11274) on :

And talking of baptism, I'm concerned here if it is the case that one parent is - in opposition to the other parent's sensibilities - impeding the gift of holy baptism being conferred to the children, along with some degree of basic Christian teaching and an opportunity to receive the sacrament of the Eucharist. The atheist parent can always serve as a worthy example of moral uprightness, compassion, and intellectual integrity in an individual who does not accept the narratives of theism generally or Christianity specifically.

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Obviously no one can ever fully know another one's heart, the hidden sins, their motives, the complex mitigating factors. And none of us perfectly knows the heart of God and how divine mercy tempers divine judgment.

But a pastor is called most of all to "the cure of souls"-- to provide life-giving counsel that requires us to enter into that fraught territory. We will do so imperfectly. We will blunder and assume wrongly. Hopefully, we do all that with a huge dose of humility and compassion-- and a tremendous amount of prayer. But asking a pastor now to weigh in on a matter of such spiritual significance is like asking a fire-fighter not to venture near fire. That's our job.

My view is that it is a minister's job to have a view in the context of the confessional (or private counsel, for those who don't practice auricular confession). But it seems to me that by permitting or refusing a second marriage, a minister effectively makes a public statement about how "guilty" or "innocent" someone was in the break-down of a previous marriage. That seems like a huge responsibility and one that I would have thought it was difficult to exercise fairly in most communities.

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

My view is that it is a minister's job to have a view in the context of the confessional (or private counsel, for those who don't practice auricular confession). But it seems to me that by permitting or refusing a second marriage, a minister effectively makes a public statement about how "guilty" or "innocent" someone was in the break-down of a previous marriage. That seems like a huge responsibility and one that I would have thought it was difficult to exercise fairly in most communities.
It is extraordinarily difficult. That's why they pay us the big bucks (a joke, I hope you realize). But seriously, that's why I said all the things above re: it's difficulty, the hope that it is entered into prayerfully and humbly and with a tremendous sense of our inadequacy. And note my post above: I myself am divorced and remarried, so I'm fully aware of the gravely dangerous territory we're treading on here. But if you are going to take seriously the call to "the cure of souls" then shrinking back when the way gets difficult is not an option.

My last post referred to Erroneous Monk's comment.

quote:
I'm honestly curious as to why so many posters presume that divorce allows for a re-marriage as opposed to separation?

"Everyone who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and he who marries a woman divorced from her husband commits adultery." [Luke 16:18 ESV]

These are hard words, indeed. But the NT is full of hard words, some of them considerably harder then these.

I never thought I was a particularly extreme Anglican, but I seem to be quite out of pace with the thinking on this one.

x

AV

Thank you. And the question is, what do you believe I should DO? Having established that I'm committing a sin - either the divorce itself or the marriage I'm in- what do I actually do, to be redeemed in the eyes of the Anglican church? Into which, incidentally, I was christened, and confirmed at the interesting age of 10.

ETA a comma.

[ 04. March 2014, 18:17: Message edited by: Taliesin ]

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
quote:

No, you are not in trouble with God, how should you be? "the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin." (1 John 1:7)

The point to the divorce sayings, whatever you make of them, is guidance in the future. It is not to make forgiven, washed-clean Christians worry about the past.

As Paul puts it, after naming off a bunch of sins, "And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God." (1 Corinthians 6:11)

At this point, if you go back to God on it and start fussing about shades of possible guilt and what-should-I-do-now, you're likely to get a pair of raised eyebrows and "What? Whatever are you talking about?"

He really meant it.

Thank you for this loving and generous response. I believe it. So it is understood that I shouldn't attempt to leave my current husband and return to the first one? Because it would hurt all the children involved, even if it were possible?

So for my sister, who is in a loving long term relationship with another woman, is it equally understood that to break this relationship would cause nothing but pain, to their ability to function in the world, as well as to all the children who call them mum, auntie, grandma?

I do want her to go back to the church, but it feels a place of impossible contradiction.

quote:
... But it seems to me that by permitting or refusing a second marriage, a minister effectively makes a public statement about how "guilty" or "innocent" someone was in the break-down of a previous marriage. That seems like a huge responsibility and one that I would have thought it was difficult to exercise fairly in most communities.

That's actually quite a good argument for what used to be and is still often, the CofE practice of leaving it to the state to perform remarriages, and having prayers for the couple - in the past relatively quietly - afterwards. This approach isn't open to the RCC, but both CofE and English civil law derive from the situation before the Reformation, unaffected by the Council of Trent. Marriage takes place under natural law, elsewhere or outside the church door, not by operation of the church. A civil wedding causes people to be married just as much as a church one.

One way of looking at this, is that because of the marital history and the dilemmas involved, the couple have to take their own moral responsibility for what they are doing. They are not entitled to expect the minister, the church, or someone else to carry it for them. They can ask for prayers. They can't insist that either God, or anyone else on his behalf, blesses them.

It's the difference between recognising/accepting and the demand that 'I am entitled to be affirmed'.

It also means that one is saying that whatever the past history, those who enter into marriages are bound by them. The same commitments apply to all marriages, whether civil or ecclesiastical. A person isn't entitled to say 'well because I was married in a Registry Office, I can commit adultery or ditch him or her when they get Alzheimers'.

Tangent and dead horse alert
Wow. I've realised from that, I may be the only person in England to have persuaded themselves that the line taken by the Bishops on the forthcoming introduction of same-sex marriages is actually more right than any of the alternatives that the various pressure groups would like to shift them to, in either direction.

Posted by Palimpsest (# 16772) on :

Enoch -- Are you advocating that the Church of England shouldn't perform any weddings, even heterosexual first marriages and only perform blessings after a civil marriage? That seems very French.

quote:
quote:
quote:

He really meant it.

Thank you for this loving and generous response. I believe it. So it is understood that I shouldn't attempt to leave my current husband and return to the first one? Because it would hurt all the children involved, even if it were possible?

So for my sister, who is in a loving long term relationship with another woman, is it equally understood that to break this relationship would cause nothing but pain, to their ability to function in the world, as well as to all the children who call them mum, auntie, grandma?

I do want her to go back to the church, but it feels a place of impossible contradiction.

I am grateful for Lamb Chopped words of grace, which really are our Lord's.

And it is in that spirit that I hope you, and they, might be able to come back to church. Because there is no entrance exam, no prerequisite. Just come.

It is understood that when people come to Christ, the Holy Spirit lives inside them, and that changes stuff. That may mean changes down the road-- for you, for your sister and her partner. For me. For all of us. It's impossible at this point to predict what those changes might be, because God's agenda is so seldom our agenda. But it all begins simply by coming, and being open to the Spirit.

quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
Enoch -- Are you advocating that the Church of England shouldn't perform any weddings, even heterosexual first marriages and only perform blessings after a civil marriage? That seems very French.

And what a great system it is. Marriage isn't just for Christians you know. I find the approach here sidesteps a whole host of problems. [Big Grin]

To me it seems very odd that a vicar or other non-civil servant should be able to perform the duties of an officer of the state.

Sorry Taliesin, I've come back after supper and realise I've cross posted with your posts. I was replying to one by Erroneous Monk.

My view, for what it's worth, is that you're married to the person you're married to at the moment. Your commitment is to be the best possible wife to him in every sense and mother to all your children, irrespective of which marriage they come from.

Your first marriage is dead. Gone. Irrespective of how or why, you must not and should not be looking over your shoulder and asking yourself questions about this. All that could do is undermine your commitment to the life you are now living.

The law of Moses is wise in that where people have divorced and married other people, it forbade them from marrying the original spouse again, ever, even if both of them become free.

As for your sister, I really can't answer and am not going to. She isn't asking the question and it's for her and her partner to answer for how they live, not you or me. It's not news to anyone to say that people have widely divergent views on same sex relationships. There's a whole board on the ship where people spend days arguing about them. All I would say, is that irrespective of anyone's view on same sex relationships, if she has entered into a civil partnership, the commitments it creates take priority over those arguments.

quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest

No. Of course not. Where do you get that impression from? I was answering Erroneous Monk's question about the minister of religion having to take responsibility for making a public statement about who was responsible for the breakdown of a previous marriage.

There is though, a side issue that I do think follows on from what I've said. I suspect that if asked, I'd say logic demands that CofE clergy in the diocese of Europe in countries like France where all church weddings follow civil ceremonies, should do all weddings as blessings of weddings that have already happened rather than perform a second illusory wedding ceremony. I've no idea whether that's actually the case.

It's funny, I can't think of any hard words in Christ directed at soft targets.

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
I'd say logic demands that CofE clergy in the diocese of Europe in countries like France where all church weddings follow civil ceremonies, should do all weddings as blessings of weddings that have already happened rather than perform a second illusory wedding ceremony. I've no idea whether that's actually the case.

As I understand it, even for religious weddings in the UK it is the wording, plus the signing of the register in the presence of someone qualified to act as registrar in that locality, that makes the wedding legal. I don't see that happening in a religious ceremony on this side of the Channel whatever wording is used.

[ 04. March 2014, 20:49: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

He really meant it.

Thank you for this loving and generous response. I believe it.
Snip.

I am grateful for Lamb Chopped words of grace, which really are our Lord's.

And it is in that spirit that I hope you, and they, might be able to come back to church. Because there is no entrance exam, no prerequisite. Just come.

It is understood that when people come to Christ, the Holy Spirit lives inside them, and that changes stuff. That may mean changes down the road-- for you, for your sister and her partner. For me. For all of us. It's impossible at this point to predict what those changes might be, because God's agenda is so seldom our agenda. But it all begins simply by coming, and being open to the Spirit.

I wanted the thread to end here. Beautiful, both of you. And Enoch, later, oddly enough.

Many thanks, all, that's me done here. [Smile]

God bless you! And all of us. [Votive]

Posted by Gramps49 (# 16378) on :

I wanted to address this verse

I think we should look at the sociological context of the verse in order to understand it. In Jesus' day it was the man that had all the rights when it came to marriage. All a man had to do was to say. "I divorce you" three times and it was a done deed. Women had no rights. They were to do the husband's bidding. If she could not satisfy him it was very easy for him to break it off. He did not worry about having to satisfy her at all.

What would happen to women if they got divorced? It was pretty ugly. They became castaways. They usually were not accepted back into their family of origin. They would lose their children. They had to come up with a way of supporting themselves; and, more often than not it met they became prostitutes. Needless to say most women would want to avoid that at all costs.

Consequently, when Jesus tells his listeners that if a man divorces his wife to marry another he is the one committing adultery. The man is violating the trust of his wife.

Don't forget that when a person (usually the woman) was accused of adultery, rabbinical law would say the person should be stoned to death. So Jesus is saying "You better think hard about divorcing your wife, because if you do you should be stoned to death."

Conversely women who had been divorced were easy marks. They would likely do anything to avoid the life that would be in store for them. Often they were forced to accept marriages which were worse than what they originally had. Think, sexual slavery.

Yes, Jesus was using strong words. But he was addressing a terrible situation, especially for women.

It is not the act of divorce that is sinful, but the actions that lead up to that divorce. But I have to ask, which is worse: staying in a loveless relationship which leaves everyone hurting or recognizing the relationship has died and moving on? There are necessary evils, especially if it gives the parties a chance to have a fulfilling life.

Aye Gramps49. Context. Luke 16:18 has none around that text.

Luke 16:18: "Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery, and the man who marries a divorced woman commits adultery."

Remarriage after divorce (only a man's prerogative) is a sin.

Paralleled with an exception in Matthew (the net of context widens):

Matthew 5:31 “It has been said, ‘Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.’32 But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, makes her the victim of adultery, and anyone who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

Remarriage by a man after divorce EXCEPT for his wife's adultery is a sin. Marrying a divorced woman under any circumstances is adultery of course therefore. Why isn't that canon law?

Which abrogates which?

Paul wasn't concerned with such legalism and obviously understood Jesus' teachings as hyperbole, not timeless, universal, narrow absolutes. Ethics are more important than rules.

1 Corinthians 7:15 But if the unbeliever leaves, let it be so. The brother or the sister is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace.

... and widens ...

The trajectory of the law as deconstructed and amplified by Jesus is humane, six times in the Beatitudes alone. Never inhumane. Everybody knows what that means.

... and widens ...

Posted by la vie en rouge (# 10688) on :

Full disclosure: I am planning to marry a person with a living previous spouse (I don’t have a ring on my finger yet, but it is very, very obviously on its way). So this is kind of personal to me (and I reserve the right to back out if it gets heated, although for the moment I’m pleased to be finding this discussion remarkably civilised).

People’s reactions to divorce and remarriage are kind of interesting IME and show a lot about the way they understand grace. Example: my pastor recently went for coffee and Serious Discussion™ with my boyfriend.

He (my boyfriend) didn’t relate the whole conversation to me, but the salient bit was this: “I don’t care about your past. It’s your future that I’m interested in. I don’t need or indeed want to know what happened between you and your ex so long as you’re sure you’ve dealt with the fallout. OTOH, la vie en rouge does need to know. Have you talked to her about it?” (FTR, yes he has and while he certainly didn’t do everything right in his first marriage, he was more sinned against than sinning AFAICT.) Anyway, "I care about your future, not your past" is the reason I know I’m in the right church. That is what grace is about.

Other people (basically all GLEs) can’t handle it all. One person (her parents are divorced, and I think she still has a lot of hurt about it) started off with “do you know what happened in the marriage” to which my answer was pretty much “yes, but you don’t need to know and I’m not telling you.” She then asked me if I know my boyfriend’s ex to get her side of the story. Because that would be the perfect way to build trust [Roll Eyes] . This person cannot believe that a person would ever really change. It’s inconceivable to her that I don’t need to dig around all the gory details of the marriage from every angle because I actually trust my boyfriend to tell me what I need to know. In her head he’s a divorcee and ergo untrustworthy for life.

Then you get the “but I always hope they could get back together, and haven’t you watched Fireproof?” Sweetheart, Fireproof is a movie (and quite frankly not a very good one [Snigger] ), and real life isn’t always quite so neat. Also my boyfriend and his ex have been divorced for over ten years, so it’s probably a bit late for that question now. (Actually, at the time, my boyfriend wanted to try to save the marriage. His ex didn’t. Sometimes it really does only take one to divorce.)

And yes, I do think some people look at divorce as the great unforgiveable. One really weird incident – one of the very few people who came up to me directly to give me a speech. “Maybe I’m religious (why yes, yes you are) but you know… marriage is an image of Christ and the church and bla bla bla…” I find out a few weeks later that the guy’s own son is going through a divorce. Figure that one out, if you will.

There are definitely a small number of people who are ticked off because they figure that the Divorced Sinner™ boyfriend en rouge doesn’t deserve to be with someone as fabulous as me, but again, I don’t think they have an awesome handle on grace. That’s what grace is – getting what you don’t deserve because God is nice like that. Also he agrees with them that he doesn’t deserve it and consequently is doing his best to conduct himself in a suitably grateful manner. As a result he treats me like the Queen [Big Grin] He spoils me rotten and I couldn’t ask to be treated with more respect. (Besides which he knows from hard experience that divorce bloody hurts and he has no interest in ever suffering like that again so he is pretty determined to marry the right person and make it work this time.)

Another thought that I heard recently from a lady who teaches a lot on relationships: the Bible says that God brings beauty out of the ashes. In the case of divorce, yes there is devastation, but God can bring something beautiful out of it, which might be a future with a different person. However, what God doesn’t do is bring beauty out of the embers. Until the fire has completely gone out and you’ve made your peace with the failed marriage (on the inside of yourself at least – you can’t always do much about the other’s person’s feelings), you aren’t ready to be with someone else.

And now the bit where I think the heat might arise – that thing about remarriage being adultery. I gave this some very serious thought, and when I did, I realised how odd Jesus’ statement is. Jesus, who is supposed to be the embodiment of grace, makes a statement that is harsher than the law. What is that all about? Looking at the context in Matthew, I realised that Jesus is talking to the Pharisees – and it comes right next to a load of “you have heard it said, but I say to you” statements. The point of all these (don’t murder? Forget that, don’t insult your brother) is to say that if you want to keep the law, you need to keep it all, and to its pristine standard. So never mind giving your wife a certificate of divorce, you must never get divorced ever. Too hard? Can’t be done? Then in that case, you might just be better off under grace. In which case ISTM that remarriage is still up for grabs if you’ve truly understood what grace is about.

(I feel like that was a bit muddled, but hopefully someone will be able to figure out what I’m rambling on about [Help] )

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
And now the bit where I think the heat might arise – that thing about remarriage being adultery. I gave this some very serious thought, and when I did, I realised how odd Jesus’ statement is. Jesus, who is supposed to be the embodiment of grace, makes a statement that is harsher than the law. What is that all about? Looking at the context in Matthew, I realised that Jesus is talking to the Pharisees – and it comes right next to a load of “you have heard it said, but I say to you” statements. The point of all these (don’t murder? Forget that, don’t insult your brother) is to say that if you want to keep the law, you need to keep it all, and to its pristine standard. So never mind giving your wife a certificate of divorce, you must never get divorced ever. Too hard? Can’t be done? Then in that case, you might just be better off under grace. In which case ISTM that remarriage is still up for grabs if you’ve truly understood what grace is about.

[Overused] Well said!

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

I think there is some misreading going on. Or missing the point. The "certificate of divorce", that is the get, is the man giving his ex-wife permission to remarry. It is not a legal separation, they had those as well. So there is no notion here of divorce without remarriage - that's a false reading added later in a different context.

In the law as they had it at the time a man could do that but a woman couldn't. So insofar as it was wrong for a once-married woman to remarry, her ex-husband caused her (and her new husband) to commit adultery by granting the certificate.

In our system either the husband or the wife (or both together) go to a court to seek permission to remarry. In their system the husband was in effect the "court" the wife had to apply to. It was up to him.

The legal point Jesus is addressing is whether or not he can grant that permission for any reason he fancies (whether or not his wife actually wants it) or if he needs a serious reason to. Jesus's opinion is that he needs a serious reason, such as adultery or other infidelity.

But it is explicitly about permission to remarry - not about separation.

Posted by mark_in_manchester (# 15978) on :

LVER (and anyone else this subject impacts on) - I can really recommend David Instone-Brewer's book on all this. I think Ken recommended it (?) - I bought it a while back. I don't think it'll change your mind on anything (and personally, I don't suppose your mind needs changing) - but it will give you a solid feel for why some other opinions you have heard which feel wrong, probably are wrong. I think you'd enjoy it, and it would be really sensible reading as part of a Christian preparation for marriage in these circumstances.

cheers
Mark

la vie en rouge - your final para says it all. Why would Jesus be a narrow minded reactionary ... fascist in only ONE regard only?

Posted by la vie en rouge (# 10688) on :

quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
LVER (and anyone else this subject impacts on) - I can really recommend David Instone-Brewer's book on all this. I think Ken recommended it (?) - I bought it a while back.

Thanks - I just downloaded it. If this conversation hasn't died a death by then, I'll come back later and let you know what I think.

It's perfick. I've been going on about it here for a couple of years. It must be good, IngoB dismisses it out of hand.

The main tenet is that if a slave wife had the right to walk away free from a loveless non-marriage, Jesus abrogated that for a desert empty of intimacy?

Hate to rain on the party, the more so because I agree with much of the philosophy--but you can't use the slave wife example to support it. A (former) slave wife could never be sold again into slavery once she had been married to the master or master's son. Also, if he did any of a certain list of things (including refusing conjugal rights) she could walk out free and he couldn't do a darn thing about it. However, the text says nothing about love etc. Moses' law tends to deal with the concrete and provable. [Waterworks]

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
I think there is some misreading going on. Or missing the point. The "certificate of divorce", that is the get, is the man giving his ex-wife permission to remarry. It is not a legal separation, they had those as well. So there is no notion here of divorce without remarriage - that's a false reading added later in a different context.

In the law as they had it at the time a man could do that but a woman couldn't. So insofar as it was wrong for a once-married woman to remarry, her ex-husband caused her (and her new husband) to commit adultery by granting the certificate.

AIUI this is still Jewish law. Some men who divorce their wives demand that the wife agree to accept very small child-support payments. Otherwise they will withhold the get, which means that any future marriage the wife contracts will be considered adultery under Jewish law

Moo

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

Which is why it is common here in divorce proceedings for a wife to seek an order that the husband take all steps necessary on his part to allow a get to be obtained.

Posted by TubaMirum (# 8282) on :

quote:
This is not rhetorical.

You are committing adultery (Luke 16:18); separate from your husband at once.

HTH.

TubaMirum, if anything could convince me to throw all the Ship's Commandments out the window now, your post would do it. HTH.

[Duplicate post deleted - Eliab]

[ 08. March 2014, 06:30: Message edited by: Eliab ]

Posted by Eliab (# 9153) on :

quote:
TubaMirum, if anything could convince me to throw all the Ship's Commandments out the window now, your post would do it. HTH.

If I've understood your meaning correctly, you're getting close to referring to a personal attack you would have made if the rules allowed - which is basically a way of bringing in and disguising a personal conflict. It would be much better for this thread if personal conflict were raised openly in Hell rather than obliquely here.

It might be worth a PM to see if TubaMirum was being entirely serious first, though.

Eliab
Purgatory Host

Not a problem Lamb Chopped, the umbrella is in the Torah:

Exodus 21:10–11 If he marries another woman, he must not deprive the first one of her food, clothing and marital rights. 11 If he does not provide her with these three things, she is to go free, without any payment of money.

Marital rights include love, intimacy, emotional support.

Which you didn't get Taliesin.

Which I didn't.

And neither did I give and when I did it was not just too late it actually couldn't be received in any reciprocal or redeemable way.

So yes sin is in ALL divorce. In all unhealable broken relationships.

Taliesin - divorce is NOT a sin.

Lovelessness is.

TubaMirum's.

Mine that contributed to the long and short train wrecks of my life. That caused them.

And I'm with God on it. It's HATEFUL. I hated it. Hate it yet. The vilest thing I have ever experienced, even, appallingly, worse than having my father die in circumstances I won't describe.

It grieves me yet and that has taken five years.

The context of Matthew 5:32 and Luke 16:18 is OBVIOUSLY only Deuteronomy 24:1. Is arbitrary patriarchal lovelessness.

ALL is forgiven. Stay with God's blessing Taliesin.

[ 08. March 2014, 07:50: Message edited by: Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard ]

Sorry, but this is a continuation. Five years ago. And 35 years ago. I've never got over either. You never do. And you have to accept that. And there is no 'have to'. You will or you won't. Both. Concurrently. It's like surviving two train wrecks where you were the driver. I have three lifetimes in my head.

You've had, what, a 10 year gap Taliesin. That's good. The emotional half-life of a former marriage is roughly that. Half the length of the marriage.

I remarried less than three years after my 26 year marriage ended. It was a long while ending. Full of terrible alienation and increasing separations. It was in every sense a helplessly, undiagnosed bipolar marriage. Until it was diagnosed. Which gave it the coup de grace. Of denial.

If I put in a novel it would win the Costa prize at least. But I can't.

There was a day I walked round a huge empty graveyard and I couldn't stop sobbing. But I did. You feel it's over. The evisceration is numbed. Your guts have been shat out and can no longer feel the fall down the elevator shaft.

They grow back.

Especially in a new love. I thank God that my new love never sees it. It's remarkable what one can hide, being extroverted. But it's been there so bad as to have me sobbing EVERY day walking back to the car in the evening in our first year. Never in the morning. Funny that. The mornings were WORSE. Black depression. Nobody would ever know.

But luckily I'm so superficial work would distract. Walking with God in utter raw nakedness kept me going.

The contingent guilt, shame, pain. And sudden realisation that no matter how cauterized I'd become in many ways, to the absent, utterly alien cold raging mind of my ex-wife, I received news of her pain. Of her loss. Of me.

And I knew what that was like.

I know God HATES divorce. Because I do.

Don't listen to the voices of loveless, superstitious, fear-ridden, fear-mongering patriarchal abuse Jesus exposed.

But it will hurt and there will be unintended consequences regardless. That's creation for you. Even God knows that.

[ 08. March 2014, 09:18: Message edited by: Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard ]

hosting/

quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
divorce is NOT a sin.

Lovelessness is.

TubaMirum's.

Declaring one's own behaviour as sinful is at one's own risk. Declaring other posters' behaviour sinful is a sin against the Ship's Ten Commandments. The hosts will take a very dim view of further infringements of this nature. Go ye and sin no more.

/hosting

quote:

[Duplicate post deleted - Eliab]

Why? This is exactly and precisely what the church teaches about gay relationships (AKA "same-sex marriage").

Savvy?

[ 08. March 2014, 16:00: Message edited by: TubaMirum ]

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

Because the manner in which you state it appears to be contrary to Jesus message and manner. It appears quite rude.

Thank you, Eliab. The Hell thread is thataway, folks, and TM has her PM.

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Because the manner in which you state it appears to be contrary to Jesus message and manner. It appears quite rude.

Try taking a look at "Taliesin"'s intro post, if you want to see "rude"....

Hello, you apparently didn't read the rest of my postings... the whole point of the thread was to draw the parallels between divorce, which Jesus condemned but is now socially acceptable, and the long term relationships of same sex couples. Perhaps you'd like to pop back and read the thread before you comment further.

I asked what a church would tell me to do, and you have apparently responded with the advice of your church (or alternative faith/non faith system).

Good luck with that.

hosting/

This thread was moved to Purgatory because the OP indicates it is a discussion about divorce, and not same sex relations, and that's how the conversation has overwhelmingly gone since.

For this conversation to continue here, unchecked, it's going to have to stay on that topic and stay polite.

And since Lamb Chopped has helpfully opened a Hell thread to deal with the personal conflicts, the hosts will take a still dimmer view of any further personal swipes on this thread.

If anyone has any problems with this, the Styx is the place to discuss them.

/hosting

[ 08. March 2014, 21:37: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Was I not polite? I thought asking a person to read what has already been written was ok, I was told to do that by B62 not long since. And, I opened the thread in dead horses, because I was relating it to my comments on another dead horses thread. I should have linked. Sorry.

And possibly I should be raising this in the Styx.

Apologies to all for my wrong-doing here; I didn't mean to screw this up, but I did.

Sorry folks.

quote:
Originally posted by TubaMirum:
Apologies to all for my wrong-doing here; I didn't mean to screw this up, but I did.

Sorry folks.

[Overused] Handsomely done. Apologizing isn't easy.

And I'm sorry first to the Hosts, as I must be, AGAIN. I am without excuse, there isn't any to be had (only temptation and compulsion), but I really am and repent of the ad hominem to you TubaMirum.

Posted by jacobsen (# 14998) on :

quote:
quote:

I think the point here is that no outsider is in a position to judge the proportion, responsibility or guilt involved in each individual's contribution to the breakdown of a marriage. Often the couple themselves would be pushed to divvy up the responsibility. Making such a judgement is quite a different matter from counselling before marriage or re-marriage.

@ Ingob - sorry, couldn't find the correct letter on Charactermap.

Re the permanence of ordination. There is such a thing as laicisation, in effect "unpriesting". It can also apply to members of religious orders.

Posted by jacobsen (# 14998) on :

Whoops - I was way behind the fair there. It had all been said before. [Frown]

© Ship of Fools 2016