Thread: Can anyone recommend a good book on the Transfiguration Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=027075

Posted by Ramarius (# 16551) on :

I asked on Kerygmania, but no one replied (good job I'm secure…). Conscious that there are some people who post in Heaven who don't in Kerygmania so hoping the mods will give me a little licence on this…..

Posted by Sir Kevin (# 3492) on :

I am RC, though only an unschooled convert. There is at least one RC priest on the Ship. Are you on fb? I am and so is one of the priests at my cathedral. Feel free to PM me...

i am on the west coast of the US. Born in LA...

Posted by Mechtilde (# 12563) on :

Rosemary Haughton's book The Passionate God isn't entirely about the transfiguration, but it's a major theme and she does wonderful things on it.

Posted by Ramarius (# 16551) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Mechtilde:
Rosemary Haughton's book The Passionate God isn't entirely about the transfiguration, but it's a major theme and she does wonderful things on it.

Thanks!

Posted by venbede (# 16669) on :

It is more an Orthodox thing than RC - it is one of the 12 Great Feasts for the Orthodox, and only introduced as a relevantly minor feast by the Pope in the late middle ages. (I normally post on Eccless.)

I'm certain the Transfiguation figures in a number of theological or devotional works by Orthodox writers. Why don't you post on Eccles and see if you can get an Orthodox response.

An oratorio, not a book, was Olivier Messaien's La Transfiguation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a63loXj_XP4

Posted by Ian Climacus (# 944) on :

Following on the Orthodox theme, I can recall it being a [small part] in a few books I've read but cannot recall a book devoted to it. As venbebe wrote, others may know.

Fr Thomas Hopko has a brief explanation here, and if a podcast appeals he has one here.

There is also a good description within a chapter in the book Fellow Workers with God: Orthodox Thinking of Theosis.

It's a lot to take in but the hymns for the Feast can make good meditiations also:

When David, the forefather of the Lord,
foresaw in spirit Your coming in the flesh,
he invited the whole creation to rejoice,
crying out prophetically:
O Saviour, Tabor and Hermon shall rejoice in Your name,
for indeed You ascended the mountain with Your disciples.
Through Your Transfiguration
You returned Adam’s nature to its original splendour,
restoring its very elements to the glory and brilliance of Your divinity.
Therefore, we cry out to You:
O Creator of all, glory to You!

Posted by Ian Climacus (# 944) on :

I saw this book while browsing in a Catholic bookstore the other day...not sure if it interests: This is My Beloved Son: The Transfiguration of Christ. Looks to be from an Eastern perspective...

[ 31. March 2014, 09:24: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

© Ship of Fools 2016