Thread: Opera Pedants Thread Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=027084

Posted by Sir Kevin (# 3492) on :

What are your favourite operas, favourite arias, favourite choruses?

[ 26. March 2014, 23:56: Message edited by: Firenze ]

The Ring Cycle would be just about my favourite; Como Scoglio (which my wife studied and could sing) though she was Dorabella in the community performance of Cosi fan Tutte that we did. I was a 'columnist' along with an off-duty advertising man: we did not sing but dressed in period costume to shift the set-pieces. My favourite ensemble piece/chorus was definitely Ride of the Valkyries which made me want to get behind the wheel of a supercar with a flat-6 engine and go 'bahnstorming' at speeds approaching 200 MPH!

My wife also was gifted with a high F-sharp when she was young and managed the famous Queen of the Night aria in Die Zauberflote.

Tell us about your passions.

Posted by Palimpsest (# 16772) on :

There was a hoax on the radio a few years ago that listening to Wagner in your car made people more susceptible to road rage. It got a fair amount of attention before being debunked.

The Seattle Opera does do a very good Ring Cycle. I like it but my personal favorite is "The Marriage of Figaro". A smaller opera company did a great performance here which was conducted from a harpsichord.
I'm also very fond of "Carmen". If you let it slide in, I'd add "Porgy and Bess".

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

I think Figaro is the best of all operas, although quite a few have better music - Don Giovanni and Orfeo for starters. There was a great outdoor performance of Carmen on Sydney Harbour last year, the first Carmen being particularly good - we saw it before the cast change. We saw performances of Alcina in consecutive years. The first year had Joan Carden as Alcina and she was excellent. The following year was Sutherland and she was outstanding. And to make it an even more pointed difference, the second ballet, at least on the night we saw it, was also much better - one of those ballets where absolutely everything clicks, down to the smallest detail.

Wow! I am working on a local ballet and I have done set carpentry for several productions over the last few years. I have never ceased to be amazed.

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

If you like The Ring you really need Anna Russell to explain it all.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
I think Figaro is the best of all operas, although quite a few have better music - Don Giovanni and Orfeo for starters.

"The Marriage of Figaro" is one of my favourites - a lovely, enjoyable piece of work.

I tend to prefer the lighter pieces of Verdi and Puccini - lots of catchy tunes to be found. "Die Fledermaus" is lovely too and I always enjoy the rare occasions when that's shown on TV for New Year's Day.

Posted by la vie en rouge (# 10688) on :

My favourite composers of opera are, in this order: Mozart, Mozart and Mozart [Big Grin] .

I saw a (mostly*) wonderful Magic Flute about 18 months ago at the Théâtre des Champs Elysées. The whole stage was basically set with bare black scenery and then they projected white line drawings onto it (geometric figures, birds, stars) to turn it into a giant blackboard. It was magical. They were using period instruments and the flautist (wooden instrument) played like a flippin’ angel.

Nonetheless if I could only have one opera forever, I think I would have to go with Don Giovanni. Non mi dir is perfection. The climbing/descending scales of the overture and the descent into hell are incredible, and way ahead of their time. As I read in a commentary recently – imagine hearing that for the first time, and that you have *never* heard Beethoven or Wagner. It’s revolutionary. And fabulous. And if the production’s up to scratch, the stage goes on fire. [Big Grin]

*Apart from the first ten minutes or so, which were Out. Of. Tune. Which is a bugger, because you sit there going “Oh crap, am I going to sit through three hours of no one singing in key?” The show was basically saved when the Queen of the Night turned up and nailed her first aria, at which point her colleagues all went “Oh yeah, that’s how you sing in tune” and bucked their ideas up [Roll Eyes] .

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

I'm with you Lyda*Rose - and after the Russell surely the Queen of the Night's aria as sung by Florence Foster Jenkins?

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
Wow! I am working on a local ballet and I have done set carpentry for several productions over the last few years. I have never ceased to be amazed.

Not a regular ballet attender so I don't know the right technical terms. The production had a female and male dancer alone on the stage, which had sort of inflated airbags across the back of the stage to represent the sea. At the end, he was standing near the back, and a bit to our left. She was at the front right, did a couple of pirouettes, then ran delicately towards him. He cupped his hands lowland to his left, she put a foot into the cup and he lifted her up and over his right shoulder and projected her into the airbags. The first year, it was impressive, but in the second performance we saw, the whole just became a fluid movement, absolutely spot on. A real knock-out.

Posted by Honest Ron Bacardi (# 38) on :

I must admit my favourites tend to be from the baroque period. Wagner I have never really got into. Probably just me, and little to do with Wagner!

Last one we saw was Purcell's "Fairy Queen". Though that was done as an opera and not as a semi-opera, I guess for reasons of cost. I would like to see it done properly at some point - ditto King Arthur.

Some of Handel's later oratorios are operas in all but name. Joan Sutherland did a fabulous Athalia. The rest of the "cast" was selected for their precision and clean tone, whilst she hammed it up with vibrato a mile wide. A real pantomime villain!

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

Siegfried is great earphone music for writing software. Especially the forging song.

Being a soppy sentimental sort, I rather like Puccini.

Posted by Siegfried (# 29) on :

I have an obvious bias for Wagner. [Smile]

I also like the drinking song from Boheme (or is it Traviata--I always confuse the two) and the Triumphal march from Aida.

They both have drinking songs!

Posted by Felafool (# 270) on :

For me, I love the way Puccini 'lays down a tune', and my fave has to be Madama Butterfly.

Wagner does some good stuff in between the hours of dross, and Lohengrin is my favourite of his.

Dross? Dross? What dross?

OK, Parsifal goes nowhere, and Tannhauser is a bit dirgy when not being stirring, but there is not a second of dross in the Ring! Well, excpet, maybe, just possibly, if Erda is suing too slowly and too mournfully. But the rest of it is a continuous thrill. Each section demands the next one.

Posted by basso (# 4228) on :

I love the Ring, but Meistersinger is my favorite Wagner. I also like Peter Grimes, and all Mozart.

As I get older and perhaps mellower, I keep coming back to Bohème. The last two acts can reduce me to tears in no time at all. It was the first opera I got to know really well, thanks to the Beecham/Björling/de Los Angeles recording we had when I was growing up.

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

I have a soft spot for Peter Grimes since it's one of the few operas I've seen live - a perfectly magnificent production in the Oslo Opera House.

I also remember a Carmen for the opposite reason. It was an amateur company, with - rather superannuated - professionals in the lead roles. Carmen - with a little energetic suspension of disbelief - was OK. Don Jose was quite good (a pity his costume showed a little of his abdominal corsetry). But the Toreador (and producer) was old and fat and his voice wurbled all over the place. We were in the front row, so had a view of the orchestra doing major eye rolling during his arias.

Posted by Adeodatus (# 4992) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I have a soft spot for Peter Grimes since it's one of the few operas I've seen live - a perfectly magnificent production in the Oslo Opera House.

My first experience of Peter Grimes was Opera North's production a few years ago. It had a profound, lasting effect on me. A true and beautiful work.

I'm mostly a Wagnerite, though I love all sorts of opera. I used to think Parsifal was the greatest opera ever written. After much longer acquaintance, I think the title might actually go to Götterdämmerung, if we're allowed to take the Ring operas separately (and I think we should be). The term "emotional rollercoaster" could have been invented specially for it. I always need a little lie down after I've listened to it.

Posted by Alaric the Goth (# 511) on :

You know you've had too much whisky when you click on this thread because you think it says 'Pedants thread', get confused when it's about opera, and click on SOF again a minute or so later, only to find it says 'Opera Pedants Thread...

Posted by no prophet (# 15560) on :

We saw Figaro several years ago in Berlin, with Auschwitz right after, and then Mozart's Requiem in Vienna after that. The context of this sequence has me in its thrall, at the level of dream, and surreality. Poignant and as immediate as when I heard Figaro laugh, I hear it just now, and again. Now I have a Figaro ear worm for the evening.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

I fell in love with opera when I was in college. I have since "complained" to the professor responsible, telling him of the thousands of dollars I have spent over the years, all because of him!

Wagner is my true love, especially the Ring and Parsifal (heard Vickers in the title role at the Met [Yipee] ).

I love almost all of it, but Puccini leaves me cold.

(I just spent most of today at the Arizona Opera offices stuffing envelopes for a mailing they're sending out.)

Posted by JB (# 1776) on :

Santa Fe usually has memorable staging, and one that I recall was Cosi fan Tutte in 2007. The opera was set in the 1950s, in a mirror-finished set which cracked along with the trust and virtue of the protagonists.

Another was the premier of "Mother of us All" (an opera biography of Susan B. Anthony by Virgil Thomson to a libretto by Gertrude Stein) in 1976. It was videotaped by PBS and at the end there was a feminist on the fountain outside delivering a speech. It wasn't clear if it was part of the opera. The film crew moved out into the courtyard and recorded it also. You can still get the music on iTunes.

And finally Madame Butterfly:
quote:
This is a setting worthy of opera, and the Santa Fe directors regularly use the surrounding mountains, the great expanse of darkening sky, or the moonlit hills to evoke an opera’s time and place – most famously in Madame Butterfly, when the shimmering lights of Los Alamos, twenty miles away in the foothills of the Jemez, suggest Puccini’s Nagasaki, ironically one of the towns nearly destroyed by the atomic bomb developed on that very mesa.
Huscher, Phillip. The Santa Fe Opera: an American pioneer. Santa Fe: The Santa Fe Opera 2006, p. 84.

As fond as I am of Mozart, especially "Figaro", I'm not all that fond of "Cosi Fan Tutti". The music is good, but the story is nasty. Figaro is interesting for other reasons. The author of the original French play had to get royal permission to get the play past the censors. One of the tasks he undertook was the initial funding of the American revolution.

I'm also fond of some more minor works Der Rosenkavalier and Orpheus in the Underworld. I also have fond memories of a production of Die Fledermaus with a farewell appearance by Beverly Sills and among others Donald Gramm. The drunken jailor was played by Victor Borges who kept a Bosendorfer in the prison cell.

Posted by jacobsen (# 14998) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

I was in the Cologne opera chorus when we did Peter Grimes, in German. Mutterings from the chorus indicated that they thought it was all nicked from Puccini... When our singer playing the preacher fell ill, they had to import a substitute from Covent Garden, who of course only knew the role in English. In those days -1981 - there wasn't much sense of Britten's style, though fortunately almost all the soloists were native English speakers, if not from England, and they at least had a clue. Charles Mackerras conducted. Don't know what he thought of the chorus.

I've just clocked that this thread is about favourite operas. Well, some years ago (about 30) I came across an LP set of Monteverdi's Incoronazione di Poppea with Jon Vickers and Gwyneth Jones as Nero and Poppea. An amazing marriage of Wagnerian voices with early baroque style. There was no leaflet enclosure, and the occasional technician's voice could be heard on the recording, so I deduce it was pirated. It is great to hear early music sung with full, round tone. Having sung the role of Nero in a couple of amateur productions, I have an affection for the work, as well as approving an operatic era where so many male roles can be taken by female voices.

Posted by venbede (# 16669) on :

I'd probably go for The Marriage of Figaro because of the wealth of minor character roles and the lack of a soppy soprano/tenor love interest. (Figaro and Susanna certainly show their love but in a gloriouslly unromantic way.)

From that you will guess that I don't really like Puccini.

Bellini's Norma is a wonderful work.

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

quote:
Originally posted by basso:
...Meistersinger is my favorite Wagner. I also like Peter Grimes, and all Mozart.

As I get older and perhaps mellower, I keep coming back to Bohème. The last two acts can reduce me to tears in no time at all...

Yes, YES and YES!!

Boheme gets to me every time and Meistersinger is Wagner's finest in the same way that Falstaff is Verdi's.

About 20 years ago Welsh National did a minimalist Turandot that was amazing.

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

I love "Figaro" - there was a good performance on TV a few years back (from the Met.), Renee Fleming was a wondrous Countess and moved me to tears. I also saw a terrible performance of "Don Giovanni" at Covent Garden with Peter Glossop - at the end of the Champagne Aria no-one clapped.

Two performances of "Die Entfuhrung" - one at Salzburg c.1968 (dull) and much more recently at Budapest (lovely).

I was lucky enough to see "Peter Grimes" with Peter Pears at Sadler's Wells - he was past his prime by then but what a sense of history! And a great perferomance of "Billy Budd" by Welsh National in Lisbon - the Portuguese didn't know what to make of it (I'd seen it before in London and hated it!)

My one visit to Glyndebourne (1969) - Cavalli's "La Calisto" in an edition by Raymond Leppard, probably most inauthentic but lovely. And Rameau's "Les Boreades" (a concert performance) at the Proms with John Eliot Gardiner.

A memorable performance of "Lady Macbeth of Mtensk" (Prokofiev) at the Coliseum; also a marvellous pared-down version of "Cheryomushki" (Shostakovich) at the Lyric, Hammersmith.

Finally, "Siegried" (or one of that ilk) at the Coliseum - officially in English but Wotan was ill and his replacement had to sing in German! And a memorable "Mastersingers" with a packed atage at the old Wells (rumour has it that, at one performance, a chorus member bet that he could come in with a set of golf-clubs and not be noticed: he won!)

[ 28. March 2014, 08:00: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

PS "La Traviata" at Covent Garden with an immensely fat soprano - didn't quite work somehow!!!

What was I thinking of? Verdi's Falstaff, of course. Lots of character roles, but the young lovers don't dominate and have the two loveliest arias in the work.

And I have a soft spot of Il trovatore. Unless you think of all the characters as completely psychotic, the plot is ridiculous, but the music is gripping.

I think opera writer Denis Forman put his finger on why Figaro is so easy to like: it's funny, it has great tunes, and none of them is more than about 5 minutes long. Obviously, there's more to it than that: I think Mozart can make you fall in love with his characters, and it's the Countess that makes Figaro one of my favourites. She's clever, witty, sad, and ultimately she wins. One of opera's great characters. Her aria Dove sono melts my heart every time.

But opera surely isn't opera unless she dies in the end!?!?

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

... and it ain’t over until the fat lady sings.

There was a wonderful modern-day BBC take on Figaro some years ago, set in modern times, starring a randy MP who was after his maid, Susanna. It was sung in English. Purists will hate it, but as an introduction, it was great (and hilarious) and inspired me to go and see the real thing.

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

Purcell's Dido and Aeneas: The plot is no more farcical than any other, its short and there are splendid tunes.

Failing that, Rusalka charmed a 10 year old Godchild. Best Song to the Moon ever IMO Leontyne Price's - very leisurely and voluptuous.

One of my favorite opera memories is a Figaro years ago in San Francisco.
Frederica von Stade was the Cherubino and Kiri Te Kanawa the Countess; it was each singer's debut with the company. With those two on stage I somehow have no memory of any of the other singers.

(I was about 18 years old. I've had a crush on Flicka ever since.)

Wow!

We saw Billy Budd at Santa Fe with JB and Motherboard a few years ago. I remember the fantastic minimalist sets more than the singing: they really brought the ocean to the desert. On non-English language operas you just have to look at your neighbour's seat-back for a translation: light-years better than sur-titles floating downstage!

That said, I have my own ideas for staging famous German operas: they will figure prominently in one of the later chapters of my novel and as soon as it's on Kindle or Nook (hopefully later in 2014) and it's copyrighted I shall post the excerpt here on the Ship! God willing, you lot will like it and buy the book which I guarantee will be inexpensive.

Posted by Dafyd (# 5549) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
There was a wonderful modern-day BBC take on Figaro some years ago, set in modern times, starring a randy MP who was after his maid, Susanna. It was sung in English. Purists will hate it, but as an introduction, it was great (and hilarious) and inspired me to go and see the real thing.

It was lovely. Mozart would have approved heartily.

Posted by HCH (# 14313) on :

If you want to understand Wagner's Ring, look for Arthur Rackham's illustrations for it. They can be found on line, or you can buy a copy through Dover press.

Posted by Garasu (# 17152) on :

If you want to understand Wagner's Ring, listen to Anna Russell's analysis!

Posted by Yangtze (# 4965) on :

I went to The Ring for first time at the end of 2012 (at the Royal Opera House) and loved it so much went to it again in 2013 (Proms). I foresee many more in the future.

Hard to choose my favourite opera, they are all so different. I did surprise myself by really enjoying Philip Glass's Satyagrya as I am not a fan of Glass' music generally, But Satyagra was mesemerising. Could have done with a bit of an edit though - about 30 mins too long.

Posted by moonlitdoor (# 11707) on :

I have a question based on what la vie en rouge wrote - is it easy or difficult for singers to adapt to sing in tune with original instruments ?

quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:
I have a question based on what la vie en rouge wrote - is it easy or difficult for singers to adapt to sing in tune with original instruments ?

There could be two aspects to this. The first is what is known as Baroque Pitch, which is slightly less than a semitone lower than western concert pitch. Actually, pitch varied considerably from place to place during the baroque and classic periods, but current convention has it that on average, an A was slightly lower then than now. This makes more of the repertoire accessible to lower voices. My younger self could have sung the soprano arias in Handel's Messiah in baroque pitch. Now I'm grateful to sing the alto arias in baroque pitch!

The second aspect is that early instruments were more difficult to tune and to play in tune, and the earlier, the more difficult, as anyone who has played or listened to a renaissance crumhorn will testify. They were (are?) aften not in tune with each other, and there was therefor a range of intuneness, or out of tuneness, from which a singer might choose which instrument to be in tune with. Or not. As a member of a medieval band, playing that well known instrument of the later middle ages, the concertina*, I have experienced this at first hand.

Probably the answer to the question would be the ability of the singer to hold pitch. This is a technical issue, though some singers are born with the gift, while others have to acquire it.

*We don't have access to an portative organ, which would be held with one hand and played with the other, but a concertina is also a reed instrument with a not dissimilar sound. It is also forceful enough to hold its own amidst a welter of tromba, crumhorn,you name it. None of them could be called quiet instruments.

Posted by Joan Rasch (# 49) on :

For those reading here who are beginners with Wagner and would like to explore some more, our Shipmate Adeodatus did some nice posts on a blog called wagner200th.

cheers from Boston
Joan Rasch aka Fafner the thurifer

The Peter Sellars modern dress Don Giovanni, Cosi and Nozze were fab but sadly now, apart from Nozze, quite difficult to get hold of in DVD format. The Perry twins in The Don were remarkable - and gorgeous but that is another subject not appropriate for this thread!

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

This is slightly off topic, but opera related. There was a local news item on Tv a couple of nights ago about a teenage Samoan New Zealander who had never heard classical singing. A couple of years he mistakenly got Les Mis out of a dvd library thinking it was an action movie [Roll Eyes] He was so entranced he watched it 3 times and the singing just blew him away. He now wants to sing opera. The news item showed him listening to, then singing with, a local group of tenors called O sole mio (?spelling).

Honestly I don't ever think I've seen a teenager so enthusiastic about anything, much less opera. Apparently he has professional support to get further training, then who knows?

I know very little but he sounds as though he has potential.

Huia

The NY Times has an interesting article Figaro serves a new Master which describes a new production of the plays of Barber and Figaro. Stephen Wadsworth who directed the last Seattle Ring Cycle is directing the two plays from his own translations of the original plays.

quote:
Originally posted by Joan Rasch:
For those reading here who are beginners with Wagner and would like to explore some more, our Shipmate Adeodatus did some nice posts on a blog called wagner200th.

cheers from Boston
Joan Rasch aka Fafner the thurifer

I did, but unfortunately I never finished the project. I got stuck on Siegfried. (I know. The irony was crushing.) If you'll pardon me sounding fanboy-ish, I looked at the rest of the Ring, and at Parsifal, and I just thought, what the heck can I say about these that would do them justice?

I suppose I ought to compose a blog post to that effect...

Posted by Chamois (# 16204) on :

Originally posted by jacobsen:
quote:
Well, some years ago (about 30) I came across an LP set of Monteverdi's Incoronazione di Poppea with Jon Vickers and Gwyneth Jones as Nero and Poppea.
I saw a wonderful performance of this back in the 1980s, Kent Opera on tour in Cambridge with very young, talented singers. In the scene where Poppea is talking in her bedroom with her maid she was slowly getting undressed. The singer was a most attractive young woman and the man sitting next to me got quite restive!

I've also seen some good performances of Monteverdi's Orpheus and Eurydice. My top favourite for baroque opera has got to be the ENO production of the Return of Ulysses. Some memorable highlights were members of the dance troupe being the horses of the sun and the pigs.

Mozart is great. I'm not so keen on 19th century opera, although Donizetti is always fun. I find Wagner sounds good but doesn't work on stage, it's too static. I've always thought Wagner was ahead of his time and his operas should be done as animations. The End of the World and the Bottom of the Rhine would work so much better on film than on stage, and the Valkyries could really ride through the clouds.

On the whole I prefer 20th century opera. Benjamin Britten's Gloriana and Noyes Fludde. Janacek's Cunning Little Vixen. Tippett's Knot Garden, Glass's Atkenhaten (spelling?). Nixon in China and Dr Atomic. All of Richard Strauss, especially Salome and Ariadne auf Naxos. I don't like Lady Macbeth of Mtsenk - the final act in particular is far too long and ridiculous. I heard a radio production of Paradise Moscow (also by Shostokovich) which was far better.

quote:
Originally posted by Chamois:

.. I find Wagner sounds good but doesn't work on stage, it's too static. I've always thought Wagner was ahead of his time and his operas should be done as animations. The End of the World and the Bottom of the Rhine would work so much better on film than on stage, and the Valkyries could really ride through the clouds.

There is the spectacular Bugs Bunny Wagnerian short "What's Opera Doc".

Posted by georgiaboy (# 11294) on :

At the risk of being totally predictable, the following:

Favorite Opera: 'Der Rosenkavalier'

Favorite Chorus: 'Va pensiero' (Nabucco)

Favorite Aria: can't possibly choose, too many favs

Close second for fav opera is 'Don Carlos' IF SUNG IN ORIGINAL FRENCH VERSION -- the later ones are just mush!

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

It's a long list. A durable favourite is The Mikado, heard many times by many companies, but never as memorable as an amateur performance that included my junior school music teacher as Nanki Poo. I can still hear him and every note that was played. It was heavenly. The absolute favourite Gilbert and Sullivan is probably Princess Ida, partly because of the kinship I feel for King Gama, and because I think it has some of the best music Sullivan wrote. The Marriage of Figaro is high on the list along with all Mozart opera, but imprinted on the memory for ever, and I hope it will be the last to go, is from Offenbach's Orpheus in the Underworld, Le Roi de Béotie - The King of the Boeotians - as sung by Alan Crofoot at Sadlers Wells in the 60s. Hearing him sing was a magical experience.

Posted by cattyish (# 7829) on :

I started singing with Haddo House Choral and Operatic Society a few years ago. It's got me into opera whereas my usual music has been rock and pop. I loved the first opera I did as a chorus alto. It was Donizetti's L'Elisir D'Amore sung in English with our doctor Dulcamara dressed as Elvis.

Since then we've done a Gilbert and Sullivan: Patience which I'd never heard of before. Also we've done a concert performance of Dido and Aeneas. I'd love to sing Dido, but Haddo employ professionals for the lead roles so I wouldn't get to sing her part there.

At the moment we're rehearsing for La Boheme. It's only 2 and a half weeks until the first performance so things are hotting up. I'm singing soprano (bits of first, bits of second) and will have quite a short time on stage as most of it is lead singers with the chorus just popping up in Act 2 and then again in Act 3 briefly. Our good tunes as a chorus are fairly brief.

I think my favourite opera to have seen live was Handel's Rodelinda. The duet between Rodelinda and Bertarido is my favourite bit.

My favourite performance so far was singing "I Know That my Redeemer Liveth." from Handel's Messiah in church for Easter last year.

Cattyish, getting the hang of this opera stuff.

quote:
I find Wagner sounds good but doesn't work on stage, it's too static. I've always thought Wagner was ahead of his time and his operas should be done as animations. The End of the World and the Bottom of the Rhine would work so much better on film than on stage, and the Valkyries could really ride through the clouds.

Part of the problem is getting singers to sing and act at the same time. It's particularly acute with tenors, many of whom seem unable to walk and chew gum at the same time. But things are improving, and at least directors are now sufficiently assertive that they can prevent a soprano standing up to take a bow after she's just died on stage. (Yes, I have heard of that happening! - allegedly before Maria Callas' influence brought some acting ability to the opera stage.) I was surprised and delighted to see, in the recent Met production of Parsifal, that the director had even coaxed the chorus into acting. Most of them, anyway.

Posted by Barnabas Aus (# 15869) on :

As a chorister in secondary school, I participated in concert presentations from the operas and cantatas of Vaughan Williams and Britten, and have enjoyed them ever since. VW's Sir John in Love is a countrified romp, but I still smile at memories of a rollicking performance given by the Sydney University music faculty over 40 years ago.

At the same time, Solti's recording of the Ring came on the market, and having read the reviews, I was determined to buy it. Only one store in our city would allow a high-school student to lay-by the boxed set and pay it off in $10 installments over the next 3 months. I still have the LP set, and my wife gave me for my birthday last year the complete boxed CD set. I particularly like Hotter's performance of Wotan's Farewell.

I was lucky enough to see Nilsson perform in the opening week of the Sydney Opera House in 1973, and treasure the memory. I wish I had been around when Flagstad was in her prime. This Wagnerian heritage has its local links as well, since one of the singing teachers in our country community was trained by the great Florence Austral after she had retired from the stage.

quote:
I find Wagner sounds good but doesn't work on stage, it's too static. I've always thought Wagner was ahead of his time and his operas should be done as animations...

(The operas) would work so much better on film than on stage, and the Valkyries could really ride through the clouds.

Or along the road!

Were I to be an art director on a film with an unlimited budget, all of the Valkyries would take a high performance driving course. They would then drive Audi R12s with their tops down on the Autobahn with fascia-mounted cameras showing their faces and the road ahead. Microphones would be mounted in-car to hear their voices and on the side of the road to hear the cars!

Light-years better than just sliding down a hill on stage!

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

And of course, we must have Carmen: https://www.youtube.com/embed/96I_UrTOZF0

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas Aus:
the operas and cantatas of Vaughan Williams and Britten, and have enjoyed them ever since. VW's Sir John in Love is a countrified romp,

The English National Opera here in London did Sir John in Love a few years back (which I saw) and subsequently Riders to the Sea and Pilgrim's Progress (which I didn't and as PP ended with the pilgrim going to the electric chair I'm quite glad I didn't.)

I love RVW's operas - if only someone would do Hugh the Drover.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
quote:
I find Wagner sounds good but doesn't work on stage, it's too static. I've always thought Wagner was ahead of his time and his operas should be done as animations...

(The operas) would work so much better on film than on stage, and the Valkyries could really ride through the clouds.

Or along the road!

Were I to be an art director on a film with an unlimited budget, all of the Valkyries would take a high performance driving course. They would then drive Audi R12s with their tops down on the Autobahn with fascia-mounted cameras showing their faces and the road ahead. Microphones would be mounted in-car to hear their voices and on the side of the road to hear the cars!

Light-years better than just sliding down a hill on stage!

I'd like to see this staging.
[Big Grin]

Many years ago I was helping to set up a large auditorium movie sound system to test in a showing of 2001 among other things.

At one point the film was showing the famous planets going into conjunction with the Sun that is normally accompanied by Strauss' Also Sprach Zaruthusa. Due to the sound test, what actually played was Ride of the Valkeryies as the planets rolled into place. It fit so perfectly it felt like I was watching an alternate version of the movie.

Posted by Brother Worm (# 8680) on :

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Rossini yet. Is he too corny and unsophisticated to be anyone's favourite nowadays? Or do people just associate him with the Lone Ranger galloping across the dusty prairie to the strains of William Tell?! Personally I'm very partial to Rossini, especially 'Cinderella'.

My favourite opera composers are Donizetti and Bellini, with Verdi not far behind. Opera such as 'I Puritani' and 'Roberto Devereux' move me deeply. I marvel how mere humans could have created such transcendence.

I think Monteverdi's 'Coronation of Poppea' and 'L'Orfeo' are exquisitely beautiful, and Purcell's 'Dido & Aeneas' and 'The Tempest' are hauntingly sad. I find Rameau's opera music very appealing due to its electric energy but I can't listen to a full length work in one go because it is too mentally exhausting!

My favourite Mozart opera is 'Il Seraglio' and always enjoy the famous low bass note sung by Osmin near the end. Wagner leaves me cold, and Puccini doesn't do much for me either, but I find the whole of Mascagni's 'Cavalleria Rusticana' (and not just the famous excerpt) captivatingly passionate. I recently listened to Saint-Saëns' 'Samson & Delilah' for the first time and was smitten by it!

An obscure opera I like very much is 'The Barber of Baghdad' by Peter Cornelius. It resonates with me for some unknown reason despite being very unlike the other opera music I like. Does anyone share my penchant for it? Has anyone even heard of it, or of him?

quote:
Originally posted by Brother Worm:
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Rossini yet. Is he too corny and unsophisticated to be anyone's favourite nowadays? Or do people just associate him with the Lone Ranger galloping across the dusty prairie to the strains of William Tell?!

I'm sorry, but that does rather date you!!

quote:
My favourite Mozart opera is 'Il Seraglio' and always enjoy the famous low bass note sung by Osmin near the end.
I agree. I've seen it twice: a direly dull performance at Salzburg c.1969, and a delightful production in Budapest about 10 years ago. My son, by the way, cannot sing in tune but used to love trying to be Osmin when in the bath!

Posted by andras (# 2065) on :

Looking at the list so far, I note that no-one has mentioned poor old Meyerbeer, who was certainly the biggest name in Grande Opera (not the same thing as Grand Opera at all!) in the first half of the 19th Century. Gorgeous music, and everything ends with the scenery collapsing around the singers, rather like it does at the end of the Ring Cycle. But he's so far out of fashion now that even recordings are hard to come by; Wagner, wretched ingrate, never forgave Meyerbeer for all his kindness during his Paris exile. Come back, Giacomo, some of us love you!

Personal absolute favourite, though? Hard to choose, but probably Fledermaus, with Cavalleria Rusticana a very close second. The Easter Hymn absolutely transfixed the teenaged me, and still sends shivers down my spine today.

Talking of unfashionable, my wife and I have a penchant for Hungarian/Viennese operettas, especially works like the "Gipsy Princess" and "Countess Maritza" by Emmerich Kalman. Does anyone share our enthusiasm?

P.S. This production came to Sadler's Wells but, like holiday wine, it didn't travel well!

[ 07. April 2014, 10:41: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

We saw Countess Maritza about 30 years ago here, and maybe a half dozen years before that saw Gypsy Princess. I would not be bothered if I did not see another production of either.

Cav and Pag are in one way potboilers, but each tells basic human themes of love and betrayal, and tells them very well.

[ 07. April 2014, 11:53: Message edited by: Gee D ]

I've only seen "Cav" (twinned with "Gianni Schicchi" when I was living in Lisbon many years ago. It could have been a very weird performance as the chorus were in dispute with the management and wanted to go on strike; in the end they didn't but handed out leaflets about their grievance to every member of the audience.

Not surprisingly their singing was a bit lacklustre! The lead mezzo-soprano was the great Fiorenza Cossotto although she was perhaps a little past her prime.

[ 07. April 2014, 14:09: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Never seen Cav live, but I had a video of the 1982 Zeffirelli film. Placidia Domingo and Elena Orlova. Wonderful. Shot on location, with real acting!

The music is great. I love it.

Film is back-to-back with Pag of course, but by comparison its not worth watching. Plot, music, all inferior. Don't like it at all. A few good bits.

I think Rossini is wonderful. But there's no one work that is the real goods. (Listening to Tasncredi years ago, I had the sudden apercu that it's not colourless Donizetti, as I'd imagined, but Handel or Idomeneo with balls.

If I had to choose one Rossini opera which wasn't Il barbiere di Siviglia, it would probably be La gazza ladra. But Covent Garden is doing William Tell so I'm lookng forward to that.

Meybeer. Hum. I saw Robert le Diable at Covent Garden in December 2012. It's pretty crummy, to be honest.

Agreeing with both the above:

Cossotto was one of the great Santuzzas; and the film was a knock-out, heightened by its on-location filming and authentic-looking cast. And I simply adored the procession!

Also re: Rossini. 'William Tell' is far too rarely done, perhaps because of the extreme difficulty of some of the roles, but it's great!

Posted by Graham J (# 505) on :

Figaro - yes, yes, yes.
But Ingmar Bergman's Magic Flute comes close.
And Rosenkavalier.
Meistersingers changed my mind about Wagner (for the better)but not all performances would do that.

Arias...
Pur ti miro from Monteverdi's The Coronation of Poppea (I think.)
This is my favourite version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YJIJlGkUJw&feature=player_detailpage

...or possibly

Va tacito e nascosto from Handels Julius Caesar (I'm a horn player)
Regards,
G

I do like the whole verismo idea, even if no-one can ever agree which operas are in fact verismo. Apart from Cav. Its truly democratic and egalitarian art, using the same kinds of music and staging to highlight the lives of ordinary people as previous generations of opera had used for kings and dukes and ancient demigods.

So, yes, Cav is a story that could have been a potboiler cowboy movie. And Boheme could easily be a subplot in a TV soap. (Probably has been). But they get the same glorious treatment as William Tell, or Charles V, or Siegfried. (OK, not quite as glorious as Siegfried.)

I suppose I have a wide working definition of verismo. Definitely includes Carmen. And if we are allowed French, maybe the last (latest) great verismo opera is Les Parapluies de Cherbourg?

[Biased]

Posted by busyknitter (# 2501) on :

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Never seen Cav live, but I had a video of the 1982 Zeffirelli film. Placidia Domingo and Elena Orlova. Wonderful. Shot on location, with real acting!

The music is great. I love it.

Saw Cav about twenty years ago on the island of Corfu (which incidentally seems to be singing crazy - walk down any street in Corfu Town on a weekday evening and you are likely to hear a choir rehearsing).

It was great, but we weren't familiar with the story and had lots of fun trying to piece together what was going on from the on stage action and the Italian libretto, handily translated into Greek [Roll Eyes]

Mr BK "So is she pregnant"
Me "Think so"
Mr BK "Who's the father then?"
Me "Him or him? They seem to have fallen out."

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Talking of unfashionable, my wife and I have a penchant for Hungarian/Viennese operettas, especially works like the "Gipsy Princess" and "Countess Maritza" by Emmerich Kalman. Does anyone share our enthusiasm?

I will admit to loving the most famous of them all, The Merry Widow. No plot to speak of and only two well-known tunes (but they are crackers - the waltz and the Viljalied) and one big production number (Chez Maxim) but its all good fun. Even if it was supposedly Hitler's favourite show.

But that gets us back to the Austro-Hungarian thread elsewhere on this Ship. They were constructing the myth of jolly Middle Europe where women were women and men wore shiny uniforms and everything happened in hunting lodges or inns to the sound of gypsy fiddlers... even while down the road and round the corner they were building the artillery to bomb Belgrade.

That's true ... although we have to remember that (a) these operettas were designed as escapist entertainment and (b) most countries create similar myths e.g. "Merrie England".

I think a diet of mad up solely of angst-ridden reality such as "Billy Budd or "Wozzeck" (great operas both) would be hard to bear. (I remember seeing Geraint Evans as the latter, a most uncharacteristic role which he carried off superbly).

Has anyone mentioned "Rosenkavalier" (which I've never seen live) with its bittersweet threnody of a passing age? I think that its final duet (or is it a trio?) is one of the most sublime pieces of music ever written, alongside the trio "Soave sil il vento" from "Cosi fan tutte".

P.S. Thinking of Bel Canto: I love "L'Elisir de Amore" by Donizetti; saw "The Thieving Magpie" years ago and was bored out of my mind; also saw "Maria Stuarda" with its stunning confrontation between Queen Elizabeth and Mary, Queen of Scots, which never happened in reality!

Posted by sonata3 (# 13653) on :

quote:
That's true ... although we have to remember that (a) these operettas were designed as escapist entertainment and (b) most countries create similar myths e.g. "Merrie England".

I think a diet of mad up solely of angst-ridden reality such as "Billy Budd or "Wozzeck" (great operas both) would be hard to bear. (I remember seeing Geraint Evans as the latter, a most uncharacteristic role which he carried off superbly).

Has anyone mentioned "Rosenkavalier" (which I've never seen live) with its bittersweet threnody of a passing age? I think that its final duet (or is it a trio?) is one of the most sublime pieces of music ever written, alongside the trio "Soave sil il vento" from "Cosi fan tutte".

My wife and I never pass on a chance to see Rosenkavalier (the final piece is a trio, and it's about as exquisite as music gets). Our favorite performance was in Munich, at the theater where the opera premiered.

For Britten without the angst - try Albert Herring, a coming-of-age comedy. The use of the "Tristan" chord is hilarious.

We've also enjoyed seeing some new work: Unsuk Chin's "Alice in Wonderland" (with two hip-hop numbers). Last summer, we loved Terence Blanchard's "Champion," about an openly gay boxer whose opponent in a bout died after being knocked out (this opponent had been openly taunting him before the match). Beautiful, lyric score.

If we want to include film versions, there's the badly distributed movie "Callas Forever". It postulates a fictional effort at the end of Maria Callas life when her voice is gone to make films using her prior recordings.

The actors are amazing, but the special treat from director Franco Zeffirelli are the scenes shot during the making of an imaginary film of Carmen using her recordings for lipsync. The filmmakers didn't resist the temptation to bring it to life as a real opera. We see a few scenes of what would have been an amazing production of Carmen that never existed.

[ 08. April 2014, 01:47: Message edited by: Palimpsest ]

I love the Rosenkavalier trio almost as much as the Meistersinger quintet. Which one I really prefer may depend on which one I've listened to most recently.

BTW, the final words in Rosenkavalier go to Sophie and Octavian. Bit of an anticlimax after the trio, but it's a lovely duet anyway. I once saw a very nice performance on YouTube that drew several questions about whether we'd just watched a lesbian opera.

I think that such a notion can hardly be avoided today; though I have no idea if it was in Strauss's mind when he wrote it.

I very much enjoy The Metropolitan Opera Channel on satellite radio: the upside is I hear parts of several different operas that I was not familiar with before. That is also the downside: I rarely hear more than one act as my new Ford Focus is strictly used for commuting.

I wish I could transfer the machine to the Vectra estate I use for longer drives, such as when I go surfing or visit relatives up north. I never spend more than an hour in the Ford unless I am early for work and sit in the car, although it shuts down after a bit more than fifteen minutes if the engine is not running!

Posted by bib (# 13074) on :

I've always loved Bizet's The Pearl Fishers and can go into raptures over the duet In the Depths of The Temple, particularly when sung by Jusse Bjorling and Robert Merrill (you can find on Youtube).

I echo your commendation of 'In the Depths of the Temple'. Stirring stuff!

Another one of my favourites is 'The Beggar's Opera' by John Gay for its earthy, raw arrangements of English folk songs.

On the subject of film versions of opera, my first exposure to 'The Mikado' was the 1983 film with William Conrad and Clive Revill. This version of the opera has been justly criticised on many levels but I think Clive Revill's performance as Ko-Ko is second to none. His rendition of 'A Little List' is a classic example of combining clear diction (which is invaluable with Gilbert's lyrics) and scrumptious characterisation. And I don't think I regard this version of The Mikado so highly merely because the first version of a piece of music you hear often becomes the standard against which you compare all others and none of them seem as good merely because they are different.

I think Stafford Dean as Pooh-Bah in this film version is delightful too.

I've never seen "The Beggar's Opera" although I did have to study it at school.

However I have just seen a marvellous modern-day version of Bertolt Brecht's version "The Threepenny Opera", performed by the most amazing mix of able-bodied and disabled actors - absolutely stunning!

P.S. Stafford Dean was a real trouper in everything he did, from Britten to Wagner, although now retired.

[ 10. April 2014, 15:57: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

I just heard Pavarotti sing an aria in The Elixir of Love on the way home from the grocery store. I dallied over shutting down the car when I reached the house so I could hear the whole thing.....

quote:

P.S. Stafford Dean was a real trouper in everything he did, from Britten to Wagner, although now retired.

A thousand years ago, when I was a chorister in Cologne Opera, we were performing the Ponell stagings of the Mozart operas. Stafford Dean played Figaro. According to my singing teacher, a friend of his, he was rather taken aback when his Susanna, played by Ileana Cortrubas, instead of doing the usual stage slap, actually slapped his face with the full force of her arm. Being a trouper, however, he carried on. History doesn't record whether he remonstrated with the lady afterwards.

[Killing me]

quote:
Originally posted by Brother Worm:
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Rossini yet. Is he too corny and unsophisticated to be anyone's favourite nowadays?

No, he's brilliant! At comedy, anyway. I've seen Barber and Cinderella live, and there were great laughs from the audience. And it wasn't just his librettist, either - the music is funny. And it also doesn't matter that he keeps re-using music, plots and situations - why kill a great formula? I think my favourite Rossini moment is the "I'm so confused it's like my head is on an anvil" finale to Act One of Barber.

But here's a thought - Denis Forman was of the opinion that of the three great Bel Canto composers, Rossini could do comedy but not serious; Bellini could do serious but not comedy; but Donizetti could do both. And from what I've seen (which is no Bellini comedies - did he actually write any?) I'm inclined to agree.

quote:
Originally posted by andras:
Looking at the list so far, I note that no-one has mentioned poor old Meyerbeer, who was certainly the biggest name in Grande Opera (not the same thing as Grand Opera at all!) in the first half of the 19th Century. Gorgeous music, and everything ends with the scenery collapsing around the singers,

Heard yesterday a broadcast (from La Fenice) of Meyerbeer's 'L'Africaine.' (His last opera) It seemed to have just about everything, and glorious music that went on for 5 acts. (There may have been some cuts; the b-cast ran 2.5 hours with no intermissions.) Would love to see it, but that's not likely.

quote:
Originally posted by bib:
I've always loved Bizet's The Pearl Fishers and can go into raptures over the duet In the Depths of The Temple, particularly when sung by Jusse Bjorling and Robert Merrill (you can find on Youtube).

I also love that duet. Roberto Alagna & Bryn Terfel sang it in a Met Opera gala some years ago that was telecast. Simply gorgeous sound, but it looked a little strange. Terfel so much larger than Alagna that he looked as if he could have carried him in his arms.

Posted by cattyish (# 7829) on :

Now that I'm seeing it staged and I'm more confident with the Italian I'm quite enjoying La Boheme. There's not a huge amount for us chorus members to do but it's fun. I still prefer L'Elisir D'Amore though.

Cattyish, party girl in flapper costume.

quote:
Originally posted by cattyish:
I'm quite enjoying La Boheme. I still prefer L'Elisir D'Amore though.

Me too. Actually, L'elisir is quite profound on human interactions and wonderfully tuneful in a very Italian way.

Posted by Forthview (# 12376) on :

Living in Edinburgh I love Lucia di Lammermoor set just outside of Edinburgh - I once saw a production in Italy where the kilted chorus members had their sporrans over their shoulders like shoulder bags.

If the production was in Germany, the sporrans-over-the-shoulder thing would have been a director's ironic post modern thingy.

As it is, I doubt whether there would have been any sporrans worn in the Lammermuir Hills in the reign of William and Mary, when the novel is set.

There were kilts and post modern irony aplenty in last year's La donna del largo at Covent Garden. But it was set in the Highlands.

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
No, he's brilliant! At comedy, anyway. I've seen Barber and Cinderella live, and there were great laughs from the audience. And it wasn't just his librettist, either - the music is funny. And it also doesn't matter that he keeps re-using music, plots and situations - why kill a great formula? I think my favourite Rossini moment is the "I'm so confused it's like my head is on an anvil" finale to Act One of Barber.

I'm glad to find someone who raves about Rossini! I agree his music is fun, as well as the storylines. I'm listening to the Barber now while typing this and I imagine Rossini really enjoyed himself while composing the music, like a small child squealing with pleasure while riding on a fairground merry-go-round, contrary to the popular image of an artist straining and perspiring to express himself.
"I'm so confused it's like my head is on an anvil" has so much momentum that I think Rossini had trouble bringing it to a conclusion - it seems to naturally go on and on with increasing energy and gay* abandon, and far from tiring of it you feel disappointed when the music does finally stop. Another of his pieces that I think is hilarious is "Questo è un nodo avviluppato" from Cinderella.

I think Rossini was a creative genius. I only wish I wasn't so familiar with his opera so that I could enjoy listening to it again for the first time!

*gay (adjective): cheery, gleeful, jaunty

Welcome to the Ship: I am glad to see you here on my thread and happy to help you as you speed toward Shipmate status. I have several RL friends in the UK that I have met on the Ship!

© Ship of Fools 2016