Thread: April Fools' Day Sightings 2014 Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=027090

Posted by Wesley J (# 6075) on :

Some April Fools' pranks are rather funny.

Perhaps the most amusing I've found so far is on the Guardian website, who claims that 'Independent Scotland will drive on the right'. [Big Grin]

Which ones have tickled your funny bone today?

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

The only one I've seen so far is the one in the Metro, where the government are considering proposals to limit selfies and sites like Facebook will fine you for posting more than 10 a month.

Posted by Doublethink (# 1984) on :

Oh, I wish that was true.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

Found it! It's in print, so it must be true.

Posted by cattyish (# 7829) on :

Ah, the joy of independence. Frrreedom!

Cattyish, wishing it were Billy Connolly.

Posted by North East Quine (# 13049) on :

There seems to be a bit of a Scottish Independence theme.

Posted by Roseofsharon (# 9657) on :

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
There seems to be a bit of a Scottish Independence theme.

There certainly does

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

I'm not quite sure about this one from our local paper: it could (just) be true although I doubt it.

In any case I think it's a great idea, although it does strike me that cinemas have a great number of very tempting chair legs and corners for a male dog ... fortunately this one is a female.

Posted by North East Quine (# 13049) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Some April Fools' pranks are rather funny.

Perhaps the most amusing I've found so far is on the Guardian website, who claims that 'Independent Scotland will drive on the right'. [Big Grin]

Which ones have tickled your funny bone today?

Andy Burnham, the Shadow Secretary for Health, did actually make this claim back in February, as part of the "No" campaign.

Posted by Stejjie (# 13941) on :

One of the many private tuition companies around here has launched its own party package. This includes "Pin the apostrophe on the donkey" and party bags with maths and English worksheets in them.

Need to book by noon today - I wonder why...

Looks like Wikipedia's been having some fun as well (looking at the "Did you know" and "On this day" sections of their front page).

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

It was on the news on the radio this morning, so must be true. The organisers of the Commonwealth Games will be setting up vending machines selling whisky, haggis and "See-you-Jimmy" hats so that visitors to Glasgow for the Games can experience the best of Scottish culture.

(OK, Scottish if not Independence themed)

Posted by Drifting Star (# 12799) on :

This is causing panic and disgruntlement in some spheres, but they seem to have missed the reference to 'Joanna King, head of the Institute for Pedagogic Inquiries'.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

I was sent one about an I-ron, which irons your clothes by mobile phone.

But the award for the funniest one of the year, in my book, goes to King's College Cambridge!

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

Brilliant - just managed to forward it to some people before 12 noon

Posted by Sir Kevin (# 3492) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
'Independent Scotland will drive on the right'.

[Killing me]

Posted by Jade Constable (# 17175) on :

The one my friends are most excited about - being able to catch Pokemon on Google Maps [Big Grin]

Posted by Melangell (# 4023) on :

This advert appeared in Southwark Cathedral's notice sheet on Sunday:

"To help raise much needed funds for the Cathedral, the Chapter has had the space in the Cathedral Tower and Bell Chamber converted into four luxury apartments. A perfect prime Central London Pied a Terre, located within the heart of Bankside, one of the most sought after addresses. Each property has stunning views over London and access to the private pool on the roof space. Viewing for the apartments will be on Tuesday morning."

Hm, I seem to have missed out on the viewing...

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
But the award for the funniest one of the year, in my book, goes to King's College Cambridge!

That is both brilliant and classy. I have sent it to my choirmaster ... who is not always noted for his sense of humour.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:

You beat me to it! I was just about to post that link.
[Killing me]

Posted by TheAlethiophile (# 16870) on :

The National Trust demonstrate how to change to British Summer Time at the Avebury stone circle. [Big Grin]

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
This is causing panic and disgruntlement in some spheres, but they seem to have missed the reference to 'Joanna King, head of the Institute for Pedagogic Inquiries'.

The problem with government policy is that so much of it seems like April Fools, it is really hard to tell what isn't.

I still don't know if this is an April Fool or not.

Posted by BroJames (# 9636) on :

I think this may be one

Posted by monkeylizard (# 952) on :

As usual, ThinkGeek comes through with some great fake products. Most are on their main page, but some are scattered throughout the real products.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/

Posted by Wesley J (# 6075) on :

quote:
[...] But the award for the funniest one of the year, in my book, goes to King's College Cambridge!

Awwww... sweet! [Big Grin] [Overused]

Posted by Timothy the Obscure (# 292) on :

On the Internet, every day is April Fools Day...

But this from NPR's Morning Edition is pretty good.

Posted by Diomedes (# 13482) on :

I think this one caught some folk out!
http://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2014/04/01/chance-to-see-inside-the-lost-church-under-charing-cross-station/

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

City tour riding a Gorilla.

Posted by Kittyville (# 16106) on :

Diomedes, that's fabulous! For the amount of effort, if nothing else. (And, like some of the commenters, I'd love it to be true).

quote:
Originally posted by Diomedes:
http://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2014/04/01/chance-to-see-inside-the-lost-church-under-charing-cross-station/

I only got as far as the headline, though 'Yeah, Right!' and didn't read any further. Wondered whether anyone actually turned up, though!

Posted by Vulpior (# 12744) on :

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Diomedes:

I only got as far as the headline, though 'Yeah, Right!' and didn't read any further. Wondered whether anyone actually turned up, though!
I got all the way through, and had started thinking about scheduling a trip to the UK to coincide with 1 April 2024.

[ 03. April 2014, 00:06: Message edited by: Vulpior ]

This one pray as you poo
apparently caused upset amongst those Christians who take things VERY VERY seriously....

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

If they took their prayer life seriously, they would be repenting of NOT praying everywhere, including the lavatory.

© Ship of Fools 2016