Thread: Pockets in women's clothing Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=027091

Posted by Talitha (# 5085) on :

Or lack thereof.
Jeans are OK, but skirts, dresses, leggings (which seem to be quite in at the moment) and tailored trousers almost never have pockets. This was fairly annoying in the 90s, but now everyone has a mobile phone it's even more of a problem. It's worse in summer because then you can't even use the pockets in a coat.

(I know it's supposed to be about preserving the line of the clothes, but I really don't care; I'd much rather have easy access to my phone and money and keys.)

What do other Shipmates do? Are there brands (preferably not expensive) which are better at including pockets? Do you carry a handbag everywhere, even indoors? Do you wear something like a bum bag (UK) / fanny pack (US) ? Can you still buy a standalone "pocket" to wear with any skirt, like in ye olden days, and are they any good?

Posted by Jade Constable (# 17175) on :

If I'm just carrying purse/keys/phone (my phone is not a smartphone and is quite small) when out and about, I usually just keep them in my coat pockets, and using my handbag when I have more to carry eg letters to post. I am switching more to using my handbag now it's getting warmer and I'm not wanting to wear my coat as much. I don't generally carry my phone or other things around with me when at home! If I did though, I'd keep things in my bra or dressing gown pocket if I was wearing it.

Posted by Heavenly Anarchist (# 13313) on :

I make my own dresses [Biased] but I have been known to wear pretty short homemade aprons as alternative pockets over some of my hippy dresses. They serve the role of the traditional 18thc tie on pocket I suppose. I've long been tempted to make a pair of pockets...
Not sure of your style of clothing but Cath Kidston dresses usually have pockets. I guess cheaper ranges don't have them as a cost cutting/time saving measure in production.

Posted by lily pad (# 11456) on :

I have a small leather purse on a single leather cord-like strap that goes over one shoulder and across the chest. I carry an epi-pen at all times and it used to be a huge pain but they have come out with one that is rectangular in shape and smaller than a deck of cards. It is so much easier to stow away than the traditional one.

Posted by Amorya (# 2652) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Talitha:
Do you carry a handbag everywhere, even indoors?

Carry it everywhere, plonk it down in a corner indoors. I wear a Pebble smartwatch that buzzes when I get a phone call or a message, upon which I will try to find which corner I dumped the wretched bag in!

Amy

Posted by Roseofsharon (# 9657) on :

I almost always wear trousers, and as I I also wear loose tops that don't 'tuck in' I can generally get away with setting a pocket into a side seam (being short I often have to cut the bottoms off trouser legs, so I can sometimes manage to construct a pocket from the surplus).
Another alternative which I use when carrying cash, even if my trousers have pockets, is a detachable fabric pocket pinned or buttoned inside the waistband of my trousers.
It took some doing, but I found an inexpensive cardigan with pockets online. I bought 3 in colours that will go with most of my wardrobe, and wear them if I have to wear a dress.

If nothing else is available I can tuck handkerchiefs, or other small items, down my cleavage [Biased]

I very rarely carry a handbag

[ 02. April 2014, 11:54: Message edited by: Roseofsharon ]

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

Clothes I make - especially trousers - I include pockets. However, I also favour fairly relaxed/elasticated waistlines. Thus, put too much stuff in pockets - a purse with coins, say - and, particularly if you are walking briskly, a certain downward momentum sets in.

Posted by Barefoot Friar (# 13100) on :

My wife uses my pockets when she has none. She usually wears jeans, though, so it isn't usually a problem.

The down side to that is that she forgets to empty her pockets, which means I wash kleenex and chap stick more often than not.

quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
I make my own dresses [Biased] but I have been known to wear pretty short homemade aprons as alternative pockets over some of my hippy dresses. They serve the role of the traditional 18thc tie on pocket I suppose. I've long been tempted to make a pair of pockets...
Not sure of your style of clothing but Cath Kidston dresses usually have pockets. I guess cheaper ranges don't have them as a cost cutting/time saving measure in production.

Also Cath Kidston dresses only go up to a size 16! Not my style anyway, too twee. I mostly wear jersey skater dresses and I think pockets would ruin the line of them - and I don't mind carrying a handbag, means I can keep lipstick/lip balm/powder/compact mirror/hairbrush/notepad etc with me too! [Smile]

The only dresses I'd wear that have pockets are more structured ones like this. Not sure I could get away with wearing an apron in public!

Posted by Porridge (# 15405) on :

The lack of pockets in practically everything absolutely steams me. In my line of work, my physical safety could at times depend on speedy access to my phone; I need it on my person, not buried in a purse which I've probably left in the car. Mostly I wear slacks (trousers) at work, and even these sometimes lack pockets.

I just don't buy clothing which lacks pockets. As one result, my wardrobe is pretty limited. I have occasionally added patch pockets to something I got on sale. Matching fabrics, though, is a pain, more often impossible. I have a skirt to which I added contrasting pockets and trim, but I'm afraid it looks pretty amateur.

We should start a movement: WOMEN NEED POCKETS!!

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

The lack of pockets has always been a problem of mine. Even when we ordered new choir robes a few years ago, the member were hoping we could have robes with pockets!

My favorite clothing manufacturer mostly makes slacks with no pockets, and when I found one style that did have them, I tried to buy more. Unfortunately, there were only two available in my size, one was a capri style for a taller woman, but I still wear it!

Most of the time, I keep a very small purse with a cross over shoulder strap to hold my stuff. Otherwise, the cell goes in my bra, which isn't really a good idea.

Posted by quetzalcoatl (# 16740) on :

Actually, as a male, I find the same problem in summer, as I am reluctant, or unable, to stuff everything into the pockets of shorts or jeans. The only solution I've found is to carry a small backpack, which can take all the stuff I need.

Even worse, many men's shirts these days have no breast pocket, invaluable for spectacles and so on.

Posted by Badger Lady (# 13453) on :

I wear skirt suits to work which either have no pockets or fake pockets (fockets?). I have a small handbag in which I keep keys, phone and wallet.

(Many years ago I had a suit with an inside breast pocket. This was when slightly boxier suits were in fashion. It was amazing but a feat of tailoring yet to be repeated).

quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:

The only dresses I'd wear that have pockets are more structured ones like this. Not sure I could get away with wearing an apron in public!

I supposed it does help that I used to have a festival stall selling reconstructed and refashioned clothing, wearing aprons is normal for me, and suits my vintage, layered styling. Plainer, very short utilitarian styles are good for a more tailored look though.
I love that my older dresses have pockets though, it's a shame more modern dresses don't. If I need a bag when out and about I use a small body bag worn across my chest (so I don't have to think about it).

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

In Anne Fine's book "Bill's New Frock" the absence of pockets in girls' dresses is mentioned. I usually add pockets in seams to anything I make - though a recent dress has patch ones. I wouldn't want to go down the over the shoulder purse (small coin purse, not handbag) route - we had to have those for school, which I hated, until I found out that by putting the strap on like a satchel, I could wear it under the cardigan like a shoulder holster.
Anyone who can't design clothes to a) fit a womanly shape, and b) have pockets which do not spoil the line, shouldn't be in the business. (I was catching up with the Great British Sewing Bee last night, and the judge praised one competitor for her understanding of woman's shape. She was Nigerian and had been taught by a relation to cut without a pattern, and the garment in question was a fitted bustier. No pockets, though.)

[ 02. April 2014, 14:56: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

On slightly dressy occasions, my wallet, loose change and phone all fit conveniently in my sporran - a simple solution, and much more elegant than a backpack. Looks a bit odd when the phone rings, though.

Posted by Gwai (# 11076) on :

Can't stand a lack of pockets, but so many clothes rarely have them. In the end, I started wearing some sort of belt purse--NOT a fanny pack!--in college and have been doing it since. Doesn't care much, but I really only need the classics like keys, cards, lip balm, and occasionally a phone.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

I don't care about pockets, I carry a handbag everywhere.

I have different handbags for different occasions.

*School handbag - large and holds all sorts of school related stuff.

*Camera handbag - just like a gorgeous handbag but has padded camera inserts.

*Small smart handbag - for small, smart occasions.

*Doggy walking bag - which even has a charcoal insert compartment for full poo bags!

*Everyday handbag - for everything else.

Bag fetish moi??

[Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Anyone who can't design clothes to a) fit a womanly shape, and b) have pockets which do not spoil the line, shouldn't be in the business.

Hear, hear.

quote:
(I was catching up with the Great British Sewing Bee last night, and the judge praised one competitor for her understanding of woman's shape. She was Nigerian and had been taught by a relation to cut without a pattern, and the garment in question was a fitted bustier. No pockets, though.)

Well, a bustier is a different kettle of fish, though; one wouldn't normally expect pockets in such an item.

But your larger point -- that here's a woman sewing without a pattern who can make clothes to accommodate a woman's shape, etc. only goes to show that most designers cheat us out of pockets due to laziness and cheap-skatery, not due to some mythical "line" of the garment.

The line of a garment, after all, is not some arbitrary and externally-imposed set of limitations (women vary a lot in shape & size) which must be accommodated by the designer; it is what the designer introduces to and imposes on the garment. In short, designers could readily add pockets to women's clothing; they just don't.

[ 02. April 2014, 16:04: Message edited by: Porridge ]

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

I hate hate HATE not having pockets, and hate having to carry a bag even more. I refused until I was 35 and had a child, at which point the diaperbag became a loathed but necessary object.

I too put things in my cleavage, which is not ideal when you need to stash a cellphone, and let's not even go there about car keys. and I'm generously endowed.

Yes, I am thinking of sewing myself a pair of eighteenth century pockets.

Posted by QLib (# 43) on :

I don't like carrying handbags, particularly in big cities. When I went through a phase of needing to use a walking stick all the time, a handbag became impossible, so I got into the habit of using cargo pants, plus a rucksack when necessary. I live in cargo pants, with occasional concessions for evening wear and extra smart days out. God knows what my colleagues and family think. Or what I would do if I had to go through another job interview.

As regards sources: I like Craghoppers. They ain't cheap, but they're good, and they have proper sales occasionally.

Posted by Jane R (# 331) on :

quote:
...fake pockets (fockets?)...
A very good name for them, if you ask me.

Never mind stuff like keys and money - where do you put your hanky in summertime, when you don't have any sleeves to stuff it in either? I usually stick mine in my bra strap, which is entertaining for any men who happen to be watching when I fish it out again but not particularly convenient.

If we can't have pockets, bring back chatelaines.

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:

Yes, I am thinking of sewing myself a pair of eighteenth century pockets.

We should have a focket making bee [Big Grin]

Another vote for calling those stupid flaps "fockets." Alternatively, forward this thread to designers.

[ 02. April 2014, 16:58: Message edited by: Porridge ]

quote:

Anyone who can't design clothes to a) fit a womanly shape, and b) have pockets which do not spoil the line, shouldn't be in the business. (I was catching up with the Great British Sewing Bee last night, and the judge praised one competitor for her understanding of woman's shape. She was Nigerian and had been taught by a relation to cut without a pattern, and the garment in question was a fitted bustier. No pockets, though.)

She's my favourite, I've been rooting for her all along. I think the tailor bloke is very impressed by her. (Must catch up with latest episode)

quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
quote:
Anyone who can't design clothes to a) fit a womanly shape, and b) have pockets which do not spoil the line, shouldn't be in the business.

Hear, hear.

quote:
(I was catching up with the Great British Sewing Bee last night, and the judge praised one competitor for her understanding of woman's shape. She was Nigerian and had been taught by a relation to cut without a pattern, and the garment in question was a fitted bustier. No pockets, though.)

Well, a bustier is a different kettle of fish, though; one wouldn't normally expect pockets in such an item.

But your larger point -- that here's a woman sewing without a pattern who can make clothes to accommodate a woman's shape, etc. only goes to show that most designers cheat us out of pockets due to laziness and cheap-skatery, not due to some mythical "line" of the garment.

The line of a garment, after all, is not some arbitrary and externally-imposed set of limitations (women vary a lot in shape & size) which must be accommodated by the designer; it is what the designer introduces to and imposes on the garment. In short, designers could readily add pockets to women's clothing; they just don't.

Well, this is the kind of dress I wear. As you can see it's fairly clingy cotton jersey - I don't see how you could add pockets that are deep enough to hold keys, lipstick etc without making the dress look weird and bulgy where the pockets are. I think handbags are just going to work better there, and you can carry more things in them anyway.

Posted by Chamois (# 16204) on :

Orvis include pockets as standard in almost all their women's clothes. You have to watch out for some of their special-sales-purchases, which don't have them, but if you order from their main catalogues you'll be OK.

Posted by Scots lass (# 2699) on :

quote:
Originally posted by QLib:

As regards sources: I like Craghoppers. They ain't cheap, but they're good, and they have proper sales occasionally.

The only time I've tried them they were the least flattering trousers I have ever come across! They were completely the wrong shape for me.

Oliver Bonas are often good at putting pockets in dresses. I wish more places would do it! Although I always carry a handbag so I can carry a book and other commuting essentials. I should probably start to reconsider that though, as my shoulders are beginning to complain.

Posted by Leorning Cniht (# 17564) on :

quote:

Mmm, yes and no. If I'm wearing a suit (which doesn't happen terribly often), I have an extravagant oversupply of functional pockets (3 or 4 in the trousers, 5 or so in the jacket), but I really can't put very much in them, or it does spoil the line and hang of the clothing.

And men's suits are much more forgiving than something clingy and stretchy, like Jade's jersey dresses. I don't think there's a rational way to include functional, useful pockets in anything remotely form-fitting.

I can't carry my usual bulky wallet in a suit - I have to pare everything down and put a couple of credit cards and a driving license in a small credit-card wallet. My keys are on a small ring - no fob - so they are fairly compact, and a few banknotes fit in another pocket.

My usual day-to-day attire is a pair of jeans or similar with pockets stuffed full of things. It looks decidedly inelegant, but I never forget anything, because as long as I am wearing trousers, I have everything necessary to leave the house for the day.

Mrs. C has an assortment of bags that she uses - she usually has at least one child with her, and the bag will contain spare clothes, lunch, snacks, wipes, books, toys, and all the other child-related stuff that we seem to lug around, so she uses that as her "pockets". But because the bag changes (different activities call for a different kind of bag) most mornings seem to involve a hunt through half-a-dozen shopping bags, backpacks, insulated lunch bags and so on in search of her library card, house keys, camera, phone or whatever.

I still have no idea how she manages to function like that. Pockets are too useful.

Posted by QLib (# 43) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Scots lass:
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:

The only time I've tried them they were the least flattering trousers I have ever come across! They were completely the wrong shape for me.
Well, my shape is beyond any help that flattery can give it, so that doesn't bother me. They're very serviceable and feel as comfortable as cotton, but dry really quickly.

Posted by rufiki (# 11165) on :

I buy my work (office) trousers from Next, and they all have pockets. I mostly only put tissues in them though.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

It's easy really: carry a husband with you at all times as a ready source of cash, pop a tissue up your sleeve or in the waistband of your knickers, and don't own a mobile phone. Works for me, most of the time. Although I do generally carry a handbag when Mr. C. is otherwise engaged.

quote:
Well, this is the kind of dress I wear.

Love the cobalt number. And it could have an invisible pocket, provided (in addition to the hi-rise waist seam) it has side seams. You open the seams, add a slash-side pocket that goes inside the dress (not out of jersey, obviously, but out of something non-stretchy), insert a nylon panel between pocket and the dress's exterior so the seams don't make a bump and won't show. Make it deep enough so the pocket allows items to drop to where the dress isn't hugging the body. Bingo: dress with pocket, nothing dragging it out of shape.

quote:
I think handbags are just going to work better there, and you can carry more things in them anyway.

Handbags will work better in many situations for many women. But there are very few days where I could wear a dress like that in my job; for one thing, I'm often coaching someone in cooking and cleaning; I'd hate to get that dress near somebody's first efforts at spaghetti sauce or floor-mopping.

Also, as noted, I need to keep my phone on my person (it's actually a job requirement). It's not unusual for me to be working solo with a sex offender or someone with a hair-trigger temper and a history of violent behavior. Different strokes and all that.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
Never mind stuff like keys and money - where do you put your hanky in summertime, when you don't have any sleeves to stuff it in either?

It goes down the side of the waistband of whatever skirt I'm wearing. Inelegant but practical.

I refuse to buy any trousers without pockets. They have to have pockets - somewhere to put stray coins, a tiny mirror in case of contact lens emergencies, a set of keys and something to blow my nose on. At least.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

Hear, hear. And you know those ladies' blazers they sell with the tiny little stitches closing real pockets? I immediately rip those stitches out. Fuck fockets.

quote:
quote:
Well, this is the kind of dress I wear.

Love the cobalt number. And it could have an invisible pocket, provided (in addition to the hi-rise waist seam) it has side seams. You open the seams, add a slash-side pocket that goes inside the dress (not out of jersey, obviously, but out of something non-stretchy), insert a nylon panel between pocket and the dress's exterior so the seams don't make a bump and won't show. Make it deep enough so the pocket allows items to drop to where the dress isn't hugging the body. Bingo: dress with pocket, nothing dragging it out of shape.

quote:
I think handbags are just going to work better there, and you can carry more things in them anyway.

Handbags will work better in many situations for many women. But there are very few days where I could wear a dress like that in my job; for one thing, I'm often coaching someone in cooking and cleaning; I'd hate to get that dress near somebody's first efforts at spaghetti sauce or floor-mopping.

Also, as noted, I need to keep my phone on my person (it's actually a job requirement). It's not unusual for me to be working solo with a sex offender or someone with a hair-trigger temper and a history of violent behavior. Different strokes and all that.

The pocket reworking is roughly what I would have suggested, except I thought that it might be an idea to stitch a sort of facing (your nylon panel) that went all the way up the side seam to the armhole seam so that the pocket didn't sag. Though my solution - it is gorgeous that dress - would probably be to have a very fancy (brocade, embroidered...) sleeveless waistcoat (vest) over it, with pockets. Probably inside. With very cutaway armholes. Pity I can't do patternless cutting.

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Hear, hear. And you know those ladies' blazers they sell with the tiny little stitches closing real pockets? I immediately rip those stitches out. Fuck fockets.

I assumed those stitches are to keep the jacket in shape until sold. Reminds me, I'm halfway doing a mend on the pockets of the first jacket I had to do that to. Very classy wool job, with what turned out to be fleather bindings to the pockets which then peeled off for no apparent reason - no visit to the dry cleaners or similar. So I am doing a variant of buttonhole, with the chaining along the boundary between the binding and the body of the jacket, and it is very tedious so I can only do a bit at a time. About an inch.

quote:

TBF, I think that's a feature of every tailored garment, male and female. All pockets and vents are stitched up - possibly to preserve the shape of the garment.

quote:
If I'm just carrying purse/keys/phone (my phone is not a smartphone and is quite small) when out and about, I usually just keep them in my coat pockets, and using my handbag when I have more to carry eg letters to post. I am switching more to using my handbag now it's getting warmer and I'm not wanting to wear my coat as much. I don't generally carry my phone or other things around with me when at home! If I did though, I'd keep things in my bra or dressing gown pocket if I was wearing it.

I've stopped wearing a coat already and probably won't start again until about October.
I find handbags more fiddly than pockets (plus you have to remember to bring them). They usually have some fastening to undo before you can drop your phone or keys into them, and if they don't then things are in danger of falling out.
I very much do carry my phone around at home (although not my keys or purse). If I leave it in a different room I miss texts, some of which turn out to be important.
I've tried phone-in-bra but it gets sweaty (ew) and sometimes falls out.

quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
I guess cheaper ranges don't have them as a cost cutting/time saving measure in production.

Not sure about this, given that I think all jeans have pockets, even £4 Tesco Value jeans. It's just skirts and dresses which don't.

quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
In the end, I started wearing some sort of belt purse--NOT a fanny pack!--in college and have been doing it since.

Hmm, maybe I should look into that. We had purse belts at primary school but they were tiny - you could fit a few coins in, but not any kind of phone (not that we had them then).
Maybe I should just get a phone case with a clip on it - that would work for skirts and trousers, leaving only dresses.

quote:
I hate hate HATE not having pockets, and hate having to carry a bag even more. I refused until I was 35 and had a child, at which point the diaperbag became a loathed but necessary object.

I have two kids and a bag for their spare clothes etc, and that is where my keys and phone often end up when I don't have pockets.
But I'm talking about more short-term immediate access, like when I'm unloading the kids, the nappy bag, the pushchair, and some shopping from the car, and locking the car, and unlocking the house. When I do have pockets, my keys go in and out of my pocket several times in that process (to free up my hands). When I don't, they go on the car roof or on the ground or in my mouth, and it's probably only a matter of time before they go down the drain or get locked in the car.

Posted by Nenya (# 16427) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
On slightly dressy occasions, my wallet, loose change and phone all fit conveniently in my sporran - a simple solution, and much more elegant than a backpack. Looks a bit odd when the phone rings, though.

[Killing me]

I like to have a pocket in something I'm wearing to hold tissues (otherwise they have to go in the sleeve - ick!) but I do carry a handbag at all times and agree with Boogie that no one bag suits all occasions; I too have a number. [Smile]

I'm amazed at the men who allow women to use their pocket space. When we're out and about Mr Nen will often say to me, "Is there room in your bag for my keys/credit cards/pen and notebook...?"

Nen - Cath Kidston bag owner.

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

Now, these are what I call pockets. Worth a look if only for the idea.

I can't remember how I found this blog but this woman makes all her own clothes, down to underwear. She uses patterns and designs herself. Lots of ideas here, although many are too fiddly for me to consider. Have a look, not just at the pockets.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
I'm amazed at the men who allow women to use their pocket space. When we're out and about Mr Nen will often say to me, "Is there room in your bag for my keys/credit cards/pen and notebook...?"

Exactly! When I was married and we traveled I got the job of carrying both passports, traveler's cheques (remember those?), plane tickets (also mostly obsolete now), any postcards we purchased, his camera...

Just one more of many, many reasons to rejoice in being free of him!

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:

Well of course, she's Australian! Probably got the idea from all the marsupials. [Biased]

Posted by Vulpior (# 12744) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Amorya:
quote:
Do you carry a handbag everywhere, even indoors?

Carry it everywhere, plonk it down in a corner indoors. I wear a Pebble smartwatch that buzzes when I get a phone call or a message, upon which I will try to find which corner I dumped the wretched bag in!

Amy

Thanks. I now have a birthday present sorted.

Posted by The Intrepid Mrs S (# 17002) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:

I like to have a pocket in something I'm wearing to hold tissues (otherwise they have to go in the sleeve - ick!) but I do carry a handbag at all times and agree with Boogie that no one bag suits all occasions; I too have a number. [Smile]

Nen - Cath Kidston bag owner.

Oh, me too, me too! I often use her satchel bags as they have useful numbers of pockets, they are beige inside rather than black so I can see what I am looking for, and the shoulder strap is long enough to wear across-the-body and save my poor shoulders. The only downside is that when Mr. S says 'have you got room in your bag for this wallet/phone/keyring etc et?' I can't honestly say no!

And I always transfer everything from one bag to the next, to avoid the business of having my possessions sprinkled through my bag collection (which is extensive, but as nothing cf. that of the Intrepid Miss S [Overused] )

Sadly my new phone is just too big to go in the back pocket of my jeans, though that may be a Good Thing given the number of times I nearly lost the last one [Eek!]

Mrs. S, feeling incomplete without a shoulder bag

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:

I can't remember how I found this blog but this woman makes all her own clothes, down to underwear. She uses patterns and designs herself. Lots of ideas here, although many are too fiddly for me to consider. Have a look, not just at the pockets.

They are fabulous pockets [Smile]

Those are some pockets! But a bit deep for keys, which would need to be attached to a length of bungee cord.

I am reminded of knitted skirts I made for my nieces when small, which had side openings which fastened to make pockets. Imagine a normal pocket fixed to the waistband with the top open, and a velcro fastening on the waistband. (I think that's how they fixed. Velcro? On knitting?) Years later I came across a similar design in a pattern - and I wondered if the designer had come across my skirts.

[ 03. April 2014, 07:36: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Too late to edit again - there were pockets both sides, so the skirts opened up really widely for ease in putting on and off.

Posted by cattyish (# 7829) on :

I am currently making a costume in 1920s style for the upcoming opera, and am seriously considering unpicking a seam to add a pocket. I reckon the fabric is stiff enough to hide it. There's always call for a hidden prop!

Cattyish, another Sewing Bee fan.

Posted by Galloping Granny (# 13814) on :

I could never be bothered to carry a hand bag, so for years I've had a bum-bag. We're a non-makeup-wearing family so that's one thing I don't have to carry; my bag has my wallet, small diary, cellphone ( a very simple one; Grannies only make phone calls and rarely texts) pen, tiny pill-box for emergencies like a migraine aura, lip balm.
I hate having to buy trousers with no pockets, and love my jeans with (stops to count) five, but unfortunately it often happens that the only pants I like the shape, style and price of are the pocketless ones.

GG

Posted by Alicïa (# 7668) on :

Oh this has been a real gripe of mine for a long time. I hate having no pockets and I really don't like carrying a bag around for every day use. (Going out-out is different)

I do specifically look for clothes with pockets in but it's quite rare to find them at a good price and often if there are any pockets they are not fit for purpose. Sometimes I forget to look for them specifically if I am after a bargain and then just deal with the fallout later which is usually a lot of frustration when I am going out.

I must admit my husband does tend to have to carry a lot of my stuff if we are out together. He doesn't seem to mind but I resent the clothes designers who think we wouldn't want pockets!

Posted by Alicïa (# 7668) on :

quote:

We should start a movement: WOMEN NEED POCKETS!!

I'm in. Up the revolution sisters!!!

Seems that this has been a problem for a long time. [Biased] As this satire from 1917 mocking the anti-suffrage movement demonstrates.

Why we oppose pockets for women

quote:

The author of this volume of feminist humor and satire, Alice Duer Miller... published in 1917, Women Are People!

Why We Oppose Pockets for Women

1. BECAUSE pockets are not a natural right.

2. Because the great majority of women do not want pockets. If they did they would have them.

3. Because whenever women have had pockets they have not used them.

4. Because women are required to carry enough things as it is, without the additional burden of pockets.

5. Because it would make dissension between husband and wife as to whose pockets were to be filled.

6. Because it would destroy man's chivalry toward woman, if he did not have to carry all her things in his pockets.

7. Because men are men, and women are women. We must not fly in the face of nature.

8. Because pockets have been used by men to carry tobacco, pipes, whiskey flasks, chewing gum and compromising letters. We see no reason to suppose that women would use them more wisely.

quote:
Originally posted by Alicïa:

Seems that this has been a problem for a long time. [Biased] As this satire from 1917 mocking the anti-suffrage movement demonstrates.

Why we oppose pockets for women

quote:

The author of this volume of feminist humor and satire, Alice Duer Miller... published in 1917, Women Are People!

Why We Oppose Pockets for Women

1. BECAUSE pockets are not a natural right.

2. Because the great majority of women do not want pockets. If they did they would have them.

3. Because whenever women have had pockets they have not used them.

4. Because women are required to carry enough things as it is, without the additional burden of pockets.

5. Because it would make dissension between husband and wife as to whose pockets were to be filled.

6. Because it would destroy man's chivalry toward woman, if he did not have to carry all her things in his pockets.

7. Because men are men, and women are women. We must not fly in the face of nature.

8. Because pockets have been used by men to carry tobacco, pipes, whiskey flasks, chewing gum and compromising letters. We see no reason to suppose that women would use them more wisely.

[Killing me]

Posted by North East Quine (# 13049) on :

I'd like more pockets, too. I can carry my mobile phone and my keys in my bra, but it's not ideal.

I was taking part in a church service last year, wearing a pocketless dress and no jacket, and the minister was a bit [Paranoid] when she realised that the odd bump in my dress was the Order of Service folded up and tucked into my bra, but really, where else could I keep it?

I might consider calling below the manufacturers of some of my cord trousers which include pockets, but make them shallow, so that my phone slides out when I am sitting down, e.g. in the car. Fortunately so far this has only happened on my own property.

Posted by Gracious rebel (# 3523) on :

For all you women who keep items inside your bra, don't you get some funny looks when you retrieve said items? [Eek!] Reminds me of my mother's tales that when she was at school (early 1940's) it was the norm to have pockets in your knickers, to keep your hanky in??!

I too despair of clothing without pockets, and that will often be the deciding factor for me on whether or not to buy a particular garment, especially if it is for work as I need somewhere for my keys if nothing else (when my other belongings are locked in a locker). At home the major requirement is somewhere to put my phone, which I prefer to keep with me. Yes I do use handbags, but these are only for 'travelling', when I'm at home my bag will be stored in the hallway, and when I'm at work it will be in a locker.

I do posses a solution though, which comes into force on certain days when I want to keep my phone on my person but have no pockets. Its a sort of crafted fabric pouch with 2 compartments that fastens with a button, on a long loop of cord. It can be worn around the neck, slung across the shoulders or tied around the waist. The latter is my preference if I am wearing a skirt or trousers with a loose top hanging over, for then it can be concealed below the top, yet still easily accessible. Can even be worn inside a skirt if necessary, though then it is more tricky to retrieve when needed.

[ 03. April 2014, 16:54: Message edited by: Gracious rebel ]

I still think this thread ought to be forwarded to women's clothing manufacturers.

Though now I also want to make several sets of pockets-on-a-belt of fabrics which coordinate with / complement / match various pocketless garments in my wardrobe.

For those of us who want to make our own: (sorry, the URL button won't work for me, though the others do !)

http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/articles/m/make-your-own-pocket/

quote:
For those of us who want to make our own: (sorry, the URL button won't work for me, though the others do !)

http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/articles/m/make-your-own-pocket/

Those are lovely (and I have several more similar in my costume books). It might be a good project for me, I need to practice my embroidery for the Tudor reenactment I'm doing in June.

Posted by North East Quine (# 13049) on :

Originally posted by Gracious Rebel:
quote:
For all you women who keep items inside your bra, don't you get some funny looks when you retrieve said items? [Eek!]
I think I'm usually quite discreet about fishing items out. Keys, for example, only need to be retrieved when I'm standing on my own doorstep, facing the door.

More of an issue is my phone going off unexpectedly; people seem to find it distracting if they're talking to me and my breast starts vibrating. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
people seem to find it distracting if they're talking to me and my breast starts vibrating. [Smile]

Can't imagine why.

I have to say I don't see a bra as a storage option (possibly because it's already adequately full of bosom).

I'm reminded by the Tudor pockets above of my mother's story of her father stitching her a little drawstring purse to wear round her neck, when she left home to take the Big Boat over to England (during the war). She said she always remembered it spinning precariously over the heaving waters of the Irish Sea as she was violently sick the whole way over...

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
For all you women who keep items inside your bra, don't you get some funny looks when you retrieve said items? [Eek!]

Yeah. [Roll Eyes]

The worst was when my plumber was here and found an electrical problem. He needed to talk to the electrician, so I whipped my cell out of my bra, dialed the number, then handed it to the plumber. I thought about what I had done after I saw the look of mild horror on his face.

I'm sure he's had to deal with worse things than booby germs on a cell! [Biased]

Posted by bib (# 13074) on :

I have been known to tuck a hankie into my bra or my knicker elastic. Summer is often the worst time for lack of pockets as I tend to find it much easier in colder weather when wearing jeans etc.

quote:
Originally posted by bib:
I have been known to tuck a hankie into my bra or my knicker elastic. Summer is often the worst time for lack of pockets as I tend to find it much easier in colder weather when wearing jeans etc.

Summer is also worse for perspiration in such places.

I've been looking online with various search terms and have found some things that go round the waist but look less naff than a bum-bag - flat fabric pouches and so on. They seem to be marketed to festival-goers. I might have to get one.

quote:
I've been looking online with various search terms and have found some things that go round the waist but look less naff than a bum-bag - flat fabric pouches and so on. They seem to be marketed to festival-goers. I might have to get one.

NO FAIR! Show, show!

Posted by Gwai (# 11076) on :

I recommend etsy for such things. I warn though that the way I wear them the cloth bags tend to get worn through in a couple months. They're not made for longterm wear. For that reason, I have moved to leather.

Posted by Brenda Clough (# 18061) on :

A useful art, if you are handy with the needle, is inserting a pocket into an already-existing garment. To do this in a seamed fabric garment is a little challenging; to do it in a knitted garment is really skilled work.

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

A hand bag every time - or rather, a shoulder bag as walking with two sticks isn't conducive to handbags!And even then, I've had to try and reduce the size, which is why my current bag is stuffed to the gunwhales.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
I recommend etsy for such things.

I LOVE Etsy! Just do a search for belt bag and some very cool pocket alternatives will pop up.

quote:
quote:

NO FAIR! Show, show!
Things like this, this or this. (I was reluctant to post links in case anyone thought I was selling the things myself and the whole thread was an elaborate advertising ploy [Paranoid] )

I've made ones out of recycled jeans before, like in those links (but one of those is a bit optimistic in price!), They are straightforward to do. The first link is very smart though.

Posted by Sparrow (# 2458) on :

quote:
quote:

I assumed those stitches are to keep the jacket in shape until sold. Reminds me, I'm halfway doing a mend on the pockets of the first jacket I had to do that to. Very classy wool job, with what turned out to be fleather bindings to the pockets which then peeled off for no apparent reason - no visit to the dry cleaners or similar. So I am doing a variant of buttonhole, with the chaining along the boundary between the binding and the body of the jacket, and it is very tedious so I can only do a bit at a time. About an inch.
Not only that .. if you are old enough to remember the IRA bombing campaigns in the UK in the 70s, they had a spate of planting firebombs in department stores in the pockets of garments in the clothing department.

quote:
NO FAIR! Show, show!

Things like this, this or this. (I was reluctant to post links in case anyone thought I was selling the things myself and the whole thread was an elaborate advertising ploy [Paranoid] )

Ooh, those are wonderful. Thank you!

[ 05. April 2014, 16:16: Message edited by: Porridge ]

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

Long a problem for me as when I was working I needed to carry keys at all times. I have solved it 2 ways. Have pockets added and simply refuse to buy anything that does not have pockets. It is a chore but you can find pockets if you are willing to look.

Yes, the basting that holds pockets shut in the store is simply to keep it in shape during the sewing process. (Especially in a striped or plaid, you can see it if the fabric above and the fabric below the pocket opening slips out of alignment.)
Always take out the stitching once you get the garment home. The only exception would be if it's a false pocket -- just a flap with no pocket inside at all. In that case, if you are handy, you can add one. A flat fabric bag, with its mouth attached neatly to the slit of the pocket opening, is all it would take.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

The last item of clothing to have false pockets (flaps but no actual pockets), that I bought, was from Marks and Spencer, which surprised me. I did wonder how they kept the price so low, though - and now I know!

Yes, that's the way to tell a cheap garment -- the pockets, the lining, the hems. (If the pocket opening was basted shut, that's a sign of quality -- it's what tailors do.)

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
... if you are old enough to remember the IRA bombing campaigns in the UK in the 70s, they had a spate of planting firebombs in department stores in the pockets of garments in the clothing department.

I remember stitched-up pockets on clothes in shops in Belfast, but it hadn't occurred to me that they did it anywhere else; by the time we went there (1988) things had calmed down a bit and most of the terrorists' activities were in NI rather than on the UK mainland

Posted by Josephine (# 3899) on :

I have recently discovered a line of every-day skirts that are modestly priced, easy to take care of, comfortable, durable, and HAVE WONDERFUL HUGE POCKETS! Scrub skirts. The kind that nurses wear. But if you wear them with a cute blouse or sweater, no one will ever guess that they're scrub skirts.

Watching the Sewing Bee has triggered me into doing a couple of pocket related things that I should have done ages ago.
My mum bought me, when on holiday, a so-called skirt length of a lovely tweed from Pitlochry. I never completed making it up, much to her disappointment. It was much too narrow for my figure, and I had to do facings and pockets from a different fabric, and never felt enthusiastic. Now I am going to abandon the constraints of its being a "skirt" length, and turn it into a sleeveless gilet type thing, with pockets. I have a pattern. And the tweed pattern is already matched properly. It's a pity Mum won't be able to enjoy it.
Then I had a pattern for a jogging suit which had a lovely front pocket with diagonal access - a double layer of fabric. I made a pair of PJs from the pattern with a round folded collar. I still have the jogging suit with a hood and knitted welts at cuff and ankle, but I got rid of the pattern because it was a smaller size than I now am. But the suit fits! So I'm going to get a suitable material to make my own pattern so I can go on using it. I'll have to freehand the collar. (Sorry Style - I have tried to get a new copy.)

[ 06. April 2014, 11:52: Message edited by: Penny S ]

quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
I have recently discovered a line of every-day skirts that are modestly priced, easy to take care of, comfortable, durable, and HAVE WONDERFUL HUGE POCKETS! Scrub skirts. The kind that nurses wear. But if you wear them with a cute blouse or sweater, no one will ever guess that they're scrub skirts.

Wow, Josephine -- these are great! Perfect for the work I do, and here I thought I'd have to give up skirts forever (and they are harder to find these days). Incredible prices, too! Thank you!

Posted by Josephine (# 3899) on :

And the little tag by the left pocket can be removed with a seam ripper, if you care to remove it. I have one of these, and will be getting more!

Posted by Tree Bee (# 4033) on :

Oh I love this thread! It's long been one of my bugbears, it's good to know we're all in this together!
I'm the weird person wandering round M&S running my hands down the side seams of skirts and dresses feeling hopefully for a pocket. Have even bought a dress there that I didn't particularly like because it did have them!
I've found several in Boden recently that make me very happy.
I have been asked why I need pockets. [Confused]
Hanky, locker key when at work, list of things to remember, odd bits of paper picked up off the floor (only at work!) ect ect.
Though I sew I'm too scared to add a pocket in case I ruin the garment, and those festival belt things are a good idea but very obvious!

If you can sew, it is not difficult to add an in-seam pocket. If you can knit a sock, it is possible to add an afterthought pocket. But I agree that if you are not crafty in this way there's not a lot to be done!

quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:
I have been asked why I need pockets. [Confused]
Hanky, locker key when at work, list of things to remember, odd bits of paper picked up off the floor (only at work!) ect ect.

May I hazard a totally un-PC guess? I'm guessing that those who are asking you are either a) male, with plenty of pockets themselves and/or purse-carrying wife; or b) female,and totally wedded to their handbags, to the point where they honestly don't understand why someone would find lugging the things around a burden.

I mean, asking why? makes me go WTF. It's like, duh? because I don't want to be a beast of burden, and because every human being over the age of diaper bags has Stuff&trade to cope with. Why ask why?

Posted by ElaineC (# 12244) on :

At work we're about to be given smart cards to allow us to log on to our laptops. We are supposed to remove the cards when we leave our desks as this will lock the laptop. I don't suppose for one minute we will be issued with a holder and lanyard for them.

The men will automatically have a pocket to put them in but the rest of us will have to make other arrangements....

Oh how tempting to stuff those down one's bra in full view of human resources.*

* not that I'd ever do that. I'm far too chicken-hearted to risk a job that way.

Posted by ElaineC (# 12244) on :

Unfortunately I'm on a customer site so no HR people within shouting distance!

I'm on holiday until after Easter so I will pick said card up a couple of days before the deadline for getting the thing working. Judging by our internal bluekiwi forum that's going to be a challenge.

No one would ever guess we were an IT company!

I was just noticing that my current blouse/shirt has a pocket which would do for that card, when I remembered how I thought that my Girl Guide blouse had been ridiculous in having two breast pockets with pleats to allow expansion. totally not the right place for pockets for burgeoning pubescent girls. And then redesigned with waist level pockets in a floppy material that couldn't support any contents (but not in my time).

I have, for anti-pickpocket use when travelling, two things I haven't thought of as pockets. One on a waist belt is designed to slip inside whatever I am wearing, trousers, or skirt. The other, on a shoulder strap, I wear like that school purse, under my armpit, under coat, jacket or cardigan.

Modern technology means you really do have to have some way of carrying your cell phone, your tablet, etc. I wrote an entire series of novels revolving around phones that you could wear around your neck, thus freeing your hands to do other things. They were voice activated so you didn't even need to key in numbers.

quote:
I was just noticing that my current blouse/shirt has a pocket which would do for that card, when I remembered how I thought that my Girl Guide blouse had been ridiculous in having two breast pockets with pleats to allow expansion. totally not the right place for pockets for burgeoning pubescent girls.

Very true! Nor do I need pockets strategically placed so as to make my hips look even wider than they are. Come on, people, there are other choices. And on the breast pockets--do they think we're all flat-chested, or that we have no nipples to irritate? I'm not about to wear a steel-plated bra to avoid that problem.

I have a leather coat with the most exquisitely placed pockets. The designer has them in the seams, but low -- below hip level. So anything I carry is not bumping on my hip or creating a large lump where I already am widest.

I like my poskets where I can put my hands in them.

I'm allowed to. I was a prefect!

Posted by Drifting Star (# 12799) on :

Poskets is a word which should exist.

Maybe to describe intelligently placed pockets on women's clothes?

"Fockets" and "poskets;" now all we need is a word for all that clothing out there which lacks these as well as "pockets."

Rags?

Posted by Drifting Star (# 12799) on :

"Fashion"?

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
Poskets is a word which should exist.

Maybe to describe intelligently placed pockets on women's clothes?

Intelligently placed pockets would be shiftable. Size and configuration of the wearers vary, so to should the pockets.

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

I don't think I'd go to the extent of either buying something I didn't particularly like because it had pockets, or not buying something I did because it didn't, but I do like to have at least one pocket for the spare hanky.

If nothing else, it avoids one grubbling around in the handbag, to which - yes, I admit it - I'm wedded. As D. says, "Piglet doesn't need a handbag - she needs a pantechnicon".

I wouldn't advocate breast pockets as receptacles for mobile phones: doesn't everybody know someone whose mobile has taken a nose-dive as they flushed the lavatory?

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

Am I the only one who sticks the hanky/ID card down the side of the waistband if there are no pockets?

I never stick anything into breast pockets. As has been pointed out, the mobile does a nose-dive if you're not careful and the distorted pockets attract unwanted attention and stares.

I've never yet found a waistband that reliably held on to any object I tried to stick in it. Maybe that's because I'm too squishy?

quote:
"Fockets" and "poskets;" now all we need is a word for all that clothing out there which lacks these as well as "pockets."

Rags?

"Fuckits."

It's not you. If your waistband doesn't support the weight of a clipped-on object or bag, that means it's not sturdy enough. Unfortunately, to make it sturdier would mean disassembling the garment and adding interfacing or buckram, far more trouble than it's worth.
If you plan to do that kind of thing, buy the pants sturdy. Think of the trousers that workmen wear -- the workmen who have all the tools and tape measures and things hanging from their waists. Or, as they do, wear a heavy belt and hang everything from that.

Ha. You mean well-made trousers? Just try finding those in my size. [Killing me] I can have tall OR work approved OR well-made, and on a blue moon two of the three; but three of three will have to wait for the Apocalypse.

Oh lor! Accidental wordsmithing.

Meanwhile I have found that I fitted nice pockets in the skirt I never finished, in the seams either side of the front panel, which part of the design is going to make reworking the tweed difficult. I went out to get a pattern, as mine won't do. But John Lewis only have Vogue and Simplicity, and none of them would do. I've had to order on line. I matched the horizontal pattern very well, but not the A-line seam on one side where the arrow patterns aren't right. Never mind. This evening I'm going to unpick, the pockets, and all the seams which have top stitching on both sides, in double needle stitches.

Well good that you are not wasting this lovely fabric!

It wouldn't have been wasted - I was going to finish it and give it to Oxfam. But I'd rather have it myself.

quote:
quote:

Rags?

"Fuckits."
[Overused] [Killing me]

© Ship of Fools 2016