Thread: Location, Location. Location Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=027556

Posted by Francophile (# 17838) on :

Suggestion.

I often don't know, and can't guess from cryptic location description, where people are posting from.

This is frustrating and can often lead to basic misunderstanding of language and posts.

I'm not asking for town, county or state, just US, Canada, UK/Ireland, Australasia, elsewhere (eg sub-Saharan Africa, western mainland Europe etc).

This would make it so much easier to understand language used and context without having to guess and get it wrong, and possibly offend.

Some people may not wish to reveal that they are Somewhere in the States, or whatever. Fair enough. But most of us could safely reveal this info.

I'm in the UK.

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

It's entirely down to the individual what they put as tenor location. We have no plans to make any official ruling about this.

Spike
SoF Admin

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Francophile:
I'm in the UK.

You haven't put that in your location.

Posted by Francophile (# 17838) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by Francophile:
I'm in the UK.

You haven't put that in your location.
Should be there now.

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
It's entirely down to the individual what they put as tenor location. We have no plans to make any official ruling about this.

Spike
SoF Admin

"Tenor" makes a lot of sense here - think of locums tenens* for example, apart from holding the melody.

*holding the position

[ 21. January 2014, 19:55: Message edited by: Gee D ]

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:

Spike
SoF Admin

"Tenor" makes a lot of sense here - think of locums tenens* for example, apart from holding the melody.

*holding the position

Bloody bollocking auto correct. I must learn to check extremely carefully before sending.

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

The tenor location is right next to the basses, close to the door that leads to the bar.

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

quote:

Bloody bollocking auto correct. I must learn to check extremely carefully before sending.

[Big Grin]
Been there, done that. iPad? Thing has a mind of its own, and a very peculiar one sometimes.

[My location was just Norfolk for years, then somebody asked me about churches in this Norfolk. Never thought of that ..]

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

Much as I'm interested to see where people come from, there have been some very creative entries in the "From" field, such as "me to you", "as little as £4.99 a month" and "Page 28".

[Big Grin]

For myself, it didn't occur to me to put anything other than my geographical location, but I can understand that this isn't information that everyone wants to make public.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

It was one of these discussions made me make my location more opaque. Lots of very good reasons for not saying where you are exactly on line.

eta s

[ 22. January 2014, 04:15: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

Mine is totally accurate. If you can't fly there, just take the train from Platform 9¾.

(If I'm commenting on local weather, our crazy politics, etc., I usually mention that I'm in the Phoenix area of Arizona.)

Posted by Smudgie (# 2716) on :

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:

Spike
SoF Admin

*holding the position

Preview Post is your friend [Big Grin]

[ 22. January 2014, 05:36: Message edited by: Smudgie ]

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
It was one of these discussions made me make my location more opaque. Lots of very good reasons for not saying where you are exactly on line.

eta s

After the last thread such as this, I noticed some changed their location more for [Devil] than [Paranoid]

Some have good reason to be as anonymous as practical. Don't quite understand why some get worked up about it.

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

Some have good reason to be as anonymous as practical. Don't quite understand why some get worked up about it.

Yup. That was Spike's point, made even before "bloody bollocking autocorrect" had its wicked way with his sentence. [Do like that phrase BTW; added to the "useful" bank]

Posted by The Rogue (# 2275) on :

quote:
Bloody bollocking auto correct

I guess auto correct doesn't have a mind of its own or it would have changed this to "useful, perfect auto correct"

Back to the OP, in general there could be a danger that interpreting a person's comments in the context of their location (or accent, gender, sexual orientation etc etc) brings the danger of reading more into the text than is actually there.

Besides, what's to prevent someone from saying they are from Mars whereas they are, in fact, from Venus?

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

It isn't just a matter of pretending to be in one place while being in another. We have any number of Shipmates (and hosts) who live in countries (or even continents) other than that of their birth and upbringing. Location isn't helpful when we have, for example, a Dutchman in South America, an Englishman in India and Scots in Canada.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

Silly Rogue,

Martians would never do such. Most Martians* are Luddites' this is why we only see stone faces and pyramids.
Venusians are quite possibly represented here, but are more likely too busy selling us shaving aides to post often.

*Our pugnacious example being the exception, of course.

Originally posted by The Rogue
quote:
Back to the OP, in general there could be a danger that interpreting a person's comments in the context of their location (or accent, gender, sexual orientation etc etc) brings the danger of reading more into the text than is actually there.
There are fewer absolutes in behaviour/experience based upon location than we seem to assume. Despite it being illustrated time and again.

[ 22. January 2014, 13:15: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

Posted by jbohn (# 8753) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Mine is totally accurate. If you can't fly there, just take the train from Platform 9¾.

[Big Grin]

Mine is accurate as well, if a bit obtuse. I'm indeed west of St. Paul, in Minneapolis. (What's the only thing St. Paul has that Minneapolis hasn't got? A city right next door... [Biased] )

[ 22. January 2014, 13:34: Message edited by: jbohn ]

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
... Location isn't helpful when we have, for example, a Dutchman in South America, an Englishman in India and Scots in Canada.

Or as my Better Half puts it, "Piglet isn't just Scottish, she's Orcadian". [Big Grin]

[ 22. January 2014, 15:07: Message edited by: piglet ]

Posted by Lucia (# 15201) on :

Mine is accurate! You just have to know which continent I am at the most northerly point of. [Big Grin]

Posted by Ariston (# 10894) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lucia:
Mine is accurate! You just have to know which continent I am at the most northerly point of. [Big Grin]

Note to self: place names of the Antarctic Peninsula are generally horrifying. Deception, Disappointment, Exasperation, Erebus and Terror—and that's before you hit the Antarctic Circle, with a long way to go until Hope and Eternity.

You'd think people really didn't like it there.

Posted by PeteC (# 10422) on :

Surely, o Ariston, you mean the Arctic Circle?

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

Give him a winter in Alert and he'll learn the difference!

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

Mine too is accurate. I don't say what it is parallel too, of course.

Posted by Wet Kipper (# 1654) on :

seeing as we moved house this year, I realise I'm going to have to change mine

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

The accuracy of my location has varied. I don't actually look at it much, or the location of others.

But I'm fairly sure the present location was entered before I became a Hellhost, and I now delight in its double meaning.

Posted by RooK (# 1852) on :

My location is simultaneously accurate and meant as an insult to others. Win-win.

Posted by Thyme (# 12360) on :

Mine is accurate.

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

As is mine BUT only if there is an east wind at London Heathrow - if it is a westerly it is necessary to turn left.

Posted by Barefoot Friar (# 13100) on :

I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the Constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who is gonna save your lives and all 6 billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

quote:
Barefoot Friar: I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the Constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who is gonna save your lives and all 6 billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?
Yes. There are 7 billion people on this world. The order billion is screwed?

Posted by no prophet (# 15560) on :

Is this now a circus thread?

I am from where mine says, except that the proposal for this province was vetoed by some Ottawa types in 1905.

But I want to be from the 8th dimension and join the Hong Kong Cavaliers, the rockingist bunch of scientists to ever confront the evil aliens named John.

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
quote:
Originally posted by Lucia:

Note to self: place names of the Antarctic Peninsula are generally horrifying. Deception, Disappointment, Exasperation, Erebus and Terror—and that's before you hit the Antarctic Circle, with a long way to go until Hope and Eternity.

You'd think people really didn't like it there.

well, shit. now you said that I really have to change mine.

Posted by Doublethink (# 1984) on :

I am existentially correct.

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

That "From" don't make no sense here. You want to know where I's been or where I's at?

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

Whereever you go you will always be from where you are from.

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

Whereever you go you will always be from where you are from.

Posted by Deputy Verger (# 15876) on :

I didn't stay where I was born. I know nobody there. My location says where I am posting from. Except when I'm away, when it's wrong. But if I were to list all my comings and goings to and from this location that got me back here now... frankly, I'd put you to sleep and sink the Ship with the bandwidth burden. It's big enough to be anonymous and small enough to be accurate, and you don't want the backstory. I have a love-hate relationship with the centre of the universe, but it has a Siren Call.

Posted by Ariston (# 10894) on :

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
Surely, o Ariston, you mean the Arctic Circle?

Nope. Mt. Hope and the Eternity Range are at the south end of the Antarctic Peninsula. Hypothermia induced hallucinations or bitterly cold irony, I'm guessing.

Posted by Ann (# 94) on :

Mine's accurate if you know the terms of reference.

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

See, now people have got me thinking where I'm 'from'.

True story, I've actually had pointed out to me the window of the bedroom in Belgium where I was most likely conceived. And no, it wasn't my parents who did the pointing out.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
And no, it wasn't my parents who did the pointing out.

(Jaw drop.)

Posted by Nicolemr (# 28) on :

The quote "The City Carries On" in my location was the headline of one of the local newspapers after 9/11. I added it at the time because it seemed the right thing to do and I've never removed it.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

My location is a Joe Jackson line, referring to his hometown of Portsmouth, which reminded me of my hometown.

Which I'd rather not disclose.

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Is this now a circus thread?

Good point. The original question hs been answered, albeit with typos. Any further frivolity about your location can continue in Heaven or The Circus

© Ship of Fools 2016