Thread: Cafe certificates... Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=027576

Posted by Alex Cockell (# 7487) on :

... really need to be sorted out. As I'm running latest Java and it's blocking it as an unsafe app - certificates are out of date.

Posted by Doublethink (# 1984) on :

I think it is basically dead now.

I take that back, I just made it work on an emulator on an ipad !

Used firefox virtual browser app if anyone wants to try that.

Posted by Wesley J (# 6075) on :

Ok, and how can you get in on Windows 7 and FF29, please? Like Alex, I've been unable to access for months. Annoying.

Well, dunno about the quality of these but they might help: http://softadvice.informer.com/Java_Emulator_For_Pc_Windows_7.html

Posted by ecumaniac (# 376) on :

Where's the cafe thread that used to be in AS?

EWhat with all the Heartseek nasties - it would more behoove Shop admins to get proper Verisign certificates again if they want to maintain it

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

[Confused]

Basically, the current versions of Java reject the certificates as invalid. A new cert set woull be needed.

Posted by Wesley J (# 6075) on :

I agree with Alex. It would really help if this were sorted out.

I'm not on FaceBonk, nor am I planning to be. The Ship Cafe is one of very few online occasions where you can meet and interact live online with some fairly decent people - whom you may know from the Boards! It is very stimulating. Potentially.

Posted by ecumaniac (# 376) on :

So .... I shouldn't bother waiting patiently in the Cafe then? [Waterworks]

Posted by Late Paul (# 37) on :

I suspect the AS Cafe thread got archived in the last spring clean - or the one before, the Cafe has been very under-used for a long time, shame really.

I'm sure AS hosts wouldn't mind if you started a new one. Though many people can't or won't (re: certificates) go there now.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

You *might* get someone in, but the cafe has been dead for months (and I can't get in from my phone).

Posted by fletcher christian (# 13919) on :

Would it be possible to have a basic cafe that works, or use a free cafe service (if there is one)?

Posted by Emma-Jean (# 7165) on :

I can't get the cafe up on my macbook. They are protecting my security. Miss chatting with everyone [Frown]

Posted by cattyish (# 7829) on :

I mihg tchat in a café again if I can get it from my 'phone. And I'm due a new 'phone next month so I'll watch this space.

Cattyish, more mobile than in 2004.

Posted by BroJames (# 9636) on :

It is possible to access the Café by adding the site from which it is downloaded (http://dylan.ablette.net) to the Exception Site List in the Java Security Settings panel, but you are very strongly warned that this is a security risk. I am not enough of a techie to know what the nature of the risk is, or how much of a risk it is, so having tried it to see that it works, I have removed the site again.

Obviously the best solution would be for the certificates to be up to date.

(Incidentally for Mac users, once the Faverolle.jnlp file has downloaded, you have to open the Downloads folder and Ctrl-click (or right-click) the file to bring up a contextual menu and select 'Open' in order to get a dialog which enables you to bypass the security setting which prevents you opening software from unidentified developers. Obviously you need to be sure for yourself that any given piece of software is safe before you do that.)

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
It is possible to access the Café by adding the site from which it is downloaded (http://dylan.ablette.net) to the Exception Site List in the Java Security Settings panel

That works! I'm in the Cafe for the first time in years.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

I got straight in without having to download anything, or fiddle with any settings, but I haven't updated my software since the year dot.

Seems a bit empty in there.

The general advice on computer sites is not to run anything that requires Java because having Java on your computer is the biggest gateway for attacks and viruses. Which is why I don't run it on any computer now. When I had a spare laptop with no files or anything confidential ever used on it, I'd run the café, but that laptop is no longer working.

Posted by lowlands_boy (# 12497) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
The general advice on computer sites is not to run anything that requires Java because having Java on your computer is the biggest gateway for attacks and viruses. Which is why I don't run it on any computer now. When I had a spare laptop with no files or anything confidential ever used on it, I'd run the café, but that laptop is no longer working.

Hmm - I'm not sure I'd agree with that - have you got any links?

quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
Would it be possible to have a basic cafe that works, or use a free cafe service (if there is one)?

How about somebody setting up an IRC channel somewhere?

Try Wikipedia on the Java issues. Or just googling Java security issues. Oracle has been sending out critical patch updates to fix things, and there's another lot due in the next few days, but the main criticism
quote:
has been directed at the programming language, and Oracle, due to an increase in malicious programs that revealed security vulnerabilities in the JVM, which were subsequently not properly addressed by Oracle in a timely manner.

© Ship of Fools 2016