Thread: Loco festivals and fairs Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=027613

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

Autumn is traditionally the month when the funfairs come to the area. Ours kick off with St Giles' Fair in Oxford, two days of terrifying rides, candy-floss, toffee apples, thumpingly loud music, flashing bright lights and people screaming, before it splits up and goes off to other towns in the area.

There are also little local festivals as well - today is the Town Criers' Festival in Banbury and next up is Canal Day in October, a celebration of life on the canal with barges, water boat races, market stalls and so on. There's the Moreton in Marsh Show on today, and Wychwood Country Fair tomorrow in the Cotswolds, and the Newbury Show coming up later this month.

Any interesting local festivals or fairs - not necessarily autumn ones - in your area?

[ 18. September 2014, 08:25: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

Our little, local fair is in full swing. [Cool]

Actually, this weekend just a block down the street from me, the historical house I volunteer for is helping host a Chinese Moon Festival. I plan on wandering down and checking out the storytelling and lion dances and trying out a mooncake.

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

The last week and a bit culminate tomorrow in Onam our biggest State wide fair and feast of the year when we all eat far too much and got to bed after lunch groaning that we promise we won't eat as much next year!

We were invited to one event today in anticipation and I found I was Guest of Honour and was invited to say a few words [Help]

Yes, I ate too much.

In the early hours tomorrow young men will come round ringing the bell and shouting that Mahabali has arrived. I won't be getting out of bed to greet them!

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

I remember going to the Fair Day in Cootehill as a child, when staying at my uncle's farm. And coming home in the back of his van in company with my brother, a melting ice cream and a rather indignant pig.

But now I live in a Capital a City and fairs are rather more cultural. I suspect the last one was the festival Craft Fair which mushrooms above the graves of the pious dead in St John's kirkyard at the West End.

Posted by daisydaisy (# 12167) on :

Today is the annual Food Festival - a chance for local producers to expand the monthly Farmers Market and showcase their delicious food.
For lunch I had Wild Boar sausage from one of these producers followed by a dark chocolate and black cherry sorbet from my favourite establishment.

Posted by Margaret (# 283) on :

Tomorrow is the Abbots Bromley Horn Dance. No one knows how far back it goes, but the horns have been carbon-dated to the middle of the eleventh century. I went last year for the first time, and I'm going again tomorrow - it's a fascinating event, and also involves visiting a few of the village pubs!

Posted by ArachnidinElmet (# 17346) on :

I'm in Cirencester at the moment and they are having a Hare Festival. Lots of shop windows and parks and random corners are housing differing sizes of plaster hares painted in varying get-ups. There's the Bare Hare, which has no skin so the blood vessels and nerves are showing; a tiger stripe hare; a jewelled hare and, my favourite, a hare in a wig in the window of a hairdressers.

In other news, Wakefield Lit Fest is coming up. Ben Aaronovith is doing a reading!

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:

In other news, Wakefield Lit Fest is coming up. Ben Aaronovith is doing a reading!

A former member of my writers group is appearing at that.

Sheffield's Reading festival Off the Shelf is running from 11th October to 1st November but before that we have Festival of the Mind

Jengie

Posted by Bob Two-Owls (# 9680) on :

Nottingham Goose Fair is the start of the fair season around here, usually around the beginning of October and the last fair finishing just before Bonfire Night. Not been to a fair for decades myself though, it is just a time to shop in a different town (where the fair isn't) for a week.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

The other place to have a Goose Fair is Tavistock. A bit closer if you live in Cream Tealand.

The last Fair I went to was in Caerphilly, which (unsurprisingly) has a yearly Cheese Festival.

Posted by saysay (# 6645) on :

We're having a small, low-key event to once again celebrate the fact that we're not British.

Posted by Mrs Shrew (# 8635) on :

We have a local food festival much like the ones described above twice yearly in about may and about September. I think the September one has been and gone now.
The next festival I am looking forward to is the beer and cider festival, which takes place next week. Mr shrew and I have booked the afternoon off to go. (Mr shrew has also booked the next day off, being somewhat experienced in beer festivals!)

After that, it will be St Nicholas Fair, the Christmas crafts and goods fair. It's quite cool but town gets veeeeeeeery busy. Having only moved here 2 1/2 years ago, I like that that means lots of other people are getting to enjoy how lovely York is!

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

Ah yes, the Christmas Fairs and Markets - those won't get going until November. Birmingham's German Christmas Market, Winchester's and Bath's (non-German) Christmas Markets are all good fun.

There was a Moroccan market in Oxford a couple of years ago but it coincided with a very cold and rainy spell and the poor Moroccans, in their traditional costumes, must have really felt the difference in climates. They haven't been back since. A shame because they had some lovely stuff, though very expensive.

Posted by ChastMastr (# 716) on :

I'm eager for all of the local Halloween events, like haunted house type things and the like. Also Oktoberfest, at very least at a local German restaurant.

© Ship of Fools 2016