Thread: Feast of Presentation - how and ideas... Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=027848

Posted by Clotilde (# 17600) on :

This year the Feast of the Presentation falls on a Sunday, 2nd February 2014.

Will your church be marking it in a special way, or does it give way to the normal Sunday?

Any thoughts on how it can be creatively observed?

I know the RC Church starts with the procession and, curiously, the Church of England finishes with it.

Posted by Jade Constable (# 17175) on :

One of the churches in our group is The Church of the Holy Sepulchre and uses Candlemas as its Feast of Title, so it will be a group service with a meal afterwards. White vestments, incense (the norm for us anyway though), lots of candles (of course!), ending with a procession.

Posted by Hart (# 4991) on :

Some practical considerations are helpfully considered over at Pray Tell.

Thank you Hart.

I see it is mentioned that some people will take their candle home. What a lovely custom.

Trouble is I never quite know what to do with it when I get home [Smile] I think to realistically give someone a candle to take home it needs to be quite substantial or significant - not just a little ordinary candle in a cardboard circle.

Posted by Liturgylover (# 15711) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Clotilde:
This year the Feast of the Presentation falls on a Sunday, 2nd February 2014.

Will your church be marking it in a special way, or does it give way to the normal Sunday?

Any thoughts on how it can be creatively observed?

I know the RC Church starts with the procession and, curiously, the Church of England finishes with it.

The CofE rubrics allow for the Procession to take place either at the beginning or the end. It seems to me that this is one feast that is now more widely observed in the CofE - with a sung Eucharist and procession even if it doesn't fall on a Sunday - than in the RC Church which only observes it with any solemnity if it falls on a Sunday.

Yes I understand that liturgylover, but I am not quite sure why the Church of England boosted its significance. Its a greater festival in the C of E but not in many other Anglican churches where as in RC churches it is ranked feast only.

I guess its about why its thought to be significant - what the message behind the feast is. Some must think its more important than others.

quote:
Yes I understand that liturgylover, but I am not quite sure why the Church of England boosted its significance. Its a greater festival in the C of E but not in many other Anglican churches where as in RC churches it is ranked feast only.

I guess its about why its thought to be significant - what the message behind the feast is. Some must think its more important than others.

I think it would be more accurate to ask why other provinces and denominations have dropped this great feast. For the CofE it has always been marked consistently in the Prayer Books, albeit initially as The Purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary without the ceremonies. With its pivotal narrative looking back and forward, the bittersweet words of Luke's Gospel and the first singing of the Nunc Dimitis, it is a pity that it is not better observed across the Church.

Posted by Augustine the Aleut (# 1472) on :

Still red letter in Canada.

Posted by Barefoot Friar (# 13100) on :

Although I'm UMC, I'm taking a cue from the TEC's 79 BCP and covering it. The BCP states that it takes precedence over Sundays.

Not quite certain yet what we're doing, but it will most likely involve incense, candles, and (weather permitting) a procession. I'm going to flip through the Book of Occasional Services and see what I might find. [Biased]

Posted by sonata3 (# 13653) on :

I think the issue here is, do you see a Christmas season of twelve days, or an Incarnation season of forty days, closed by the Presentation? The RCC calendar sees 12 days, then moves into Ordinary Time. The American liturgical churches using the RCL have largely followed this pattern, save for moving the Gospel for Lent II in the Catholic lectionary to the Last Sunday after Epiphany. C of E, I gather, has given much greater emphasis to the Presentation as the closing feast of a season of incarnation (another 40 days).
For Lutherans and Episcopalians in North America, there is a Christmas season that ends with the Epiphany (or the Baptism of Our Lord), and an Epiphany season (a season including the Magi, Christ's Baptism, and the wedding at Cana) that concludes with the Transfiguration (another "manifestation") on the Sunday before Ash Wednesday.
This really is the part of the liturgical calendar where there is the greatest difference between different denominations.

Posted by Emendator Liturgia (# 17245) on :

Here in the Province of Australia, Candlemas has since my earliest memory never been a feature of Anglican worship. The reason why this is the case is probably quite simple - a service based on light looses significance when it is still blazingly bright outside up to 8pm or so.

The Australian Lectionary - largely the RCL - uses the term Sunday after Epiphany/Ordinary Sunday xx - with green as the recommended colour. We have not followed the CW extension of a prolonged incarnational season.

What has always been a Feast is that of the Purification of the BVM (for Anglo-Catholics) or the Presentation of Christ in the Temple (for other non-spikey Anglicans). Of course, both of those are absent from usage here in the post-Jensenite Diocese of Sydney.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

As it is a feast about Christ, anglo and Roman Catholics no longer talk about the Purification of the BVM.

The reason why C of E usage has the procession at the end is owing to a dubious notion that Candlemas 'turns' us away from Christmas and forward to Lent - so the procession moves to the font, people 'turn' towards it and the final responses are all about Lent.

As for things to do - apart from the traditional ceremonies, i quite like dwelling on the theme of older people (like Simeon and Anna) recognising the gifts of younger people.

Maybe some sort of creative activity pairing adults and children? (We once replaced the sermon slot with adults interviewing children and vice versa and then posting up anonymous summaries.)

Posted by LQ (# 11596) on :

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
As it is a feast about Christ, anglo and Roman Catholics no longer talk about the Purification of the BVM.

As usual, by "anglo-catholics" leo means "leo" [Roll Eyes]

I think of it as the feast of presentation, too - hence the thread title.

But I also think of it as candlemas, and the blessing of candles is a traditional part of the history of the day. But how is it done, if at all, now?

I've come across, a while ago, a church where different candles were laid out on a table and blessed along with the peoples candles to be carried in the day's worship.

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

Hosting

Steering clear of Commandment # 3 breaches would be good.

Good as in obligatory.

Even if that line hasn't quite be breached. Yet. Perhaps.

/ Hosting

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Emendator Liturgia:
Here in the Province of Australia, Candlemas has since my earliest memory never been a feature of Anglican worship. The reason why this is the case is probably quite simple - a service based on light looses significance when it is still blazingly bright outside up to 8pm or so.

And 40+ degrees C

Posted by Angloid (# 159) on :

quote:

The reason why C of E usage has the procession at the end is owing to a dubious notion that Candlemas 'turns' us away from Christmas and forward to Lent -

Why 'dubious notion'?

But I agree with leo's first paragraph. The post-Vatican 2 reforms brought some scriptural orthodoxy and common-sense to the liturgy. Some anglo-catholics might not agree and that is their prerogative.

[ 19. January 2014, 19:08: Message edited by: Angloid ]

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

Given that a fair proportion of our folk stroll in anywhere between the entrance hymn and the Gospel, it makes sense for us to have the procession to the font and associated prayers at the end of Mass..... [Roll Eyes]

Ian J.

Here is a RC Candlemas ceremony for children, not at Mass, it seems to be a school liturgy.

I think it is interesting in developing the theme of Christ our Light.

Perhaps this could be an inspiration for the introduction to the Candlemas celebration - the Mass, and so involving children and adults together ...

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Given that a fair proportion of our folk stroll in anywhere between the entrance hymn and the Gospel, it makes sense for us to have the procession to the font and associated prayers at the end of Mass..... [Roll Eyes]

Ian J.

Or you could change the Mass time to 15 minutes later that week, but not tell anyone [Biased]

Oh, we've already thought of that one... [Two face] but Father said No..... [Roll Eyes]

Ian J.

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

It will be kept properly as Candlemas: falling on the first Sunday it will be a Family Eucharist.

All the candles possible will be lit, chandeliers included.

We shall remember the presentation of the child Jesus to Simeon: the choir will sing Eccard's When to the temple Mary went.

Just before the sermon new Choristers will be admitted to the choir - our own young being presented to the congregation in their new guise.

Afterwards there will be cake to go with coffee and all the children present will be given a candle to take home.

That sounds lovely and appropriate L'organist!

What hymns are suitable or used? Many set in the hymn books are not very well known.

L'Oganist has reminded me of the lovely Candlemas music - we always use the wonderful Eccard anthem too, as well as Hail to the Lord who Comes as a processional and a setting -last year it was Burgon's which is lovely -of the Nunc Dimitis after the candles are blessed. Another church near me even managed its own Candlemas evening service of music and readings to complement the morning Eucharist.

One year, I saw the Taizé chant "Our darkness is never darkness ..." used very effectively at the entrance, but then that was a weeknight. As our antipodean shipmates have noted, it does rather lose something on a Sunday morning in broad daylight.

quote:

What hymns are suitable or used? Many set in the hymn books are not very well known.

Really? Which hymn books are you looking at? The main CofE ones cite Hail to the Lord who comes, Of the Father's heart begotten, Faithful Vigil ended, Virgin-born we bow before thee, Christ whose glory fills the sky, For Mary Mother of our Lord which are all well known. Common Praise also suggests When candles are lighted on Candlemas day which is listed in the Christingle section!

Posted by The Silent Acolyte (# 1158) on :

quote:

Dunno about that. From the 1662:
quote:
The Purification of the Virgin Mary.

The Prefentation of Christ in the Temple, commonly called, The Purification of St. Mary the Virgin

and from the American 1928:
quote:
The Presentation of Christ in the Temple, commonly called The Purification of Saint Mary the Virgin, or Candlemas
At our local AC shack, the procession goes to the Shrine of Our Lady of Hardwork; and then, we flounce back to the altar to for Solemn Benediction.

Nobody bats an eyelash.

quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
quote:

Dunno about that. From the 1662:
quote:
The Purification of the Virgin Mary.

The Prefentation of Christ in the Temple, commonly called, The Purification of St. Mary the Virgin

and from the American 1928:
quote:
The Presentation of Christ in the Temple, commonly called The Purification of Saint Mary the Virgin, or Candlemas

Bit it's 2014 now! It was largely Vatican 2 that insisted that we shift our emphasis away from our Lady to Our Lord - as she wished in her lifetime.

I suppose the compilers of the current (1959) Canadian prayer book must have missed the memo.

quote:
Bit it's 2014 now!

Whence this relentless forced march into (post-)modernity? The Book of Common Prayer is only 350 years old and the 1928 American book hasn't even cracked a century.
quote:
It was largely Vatican 2 that insisted that we shift our emphasis away from our Lady to Our Lord - as she wished in her lifetime.
Through Mary to Jesus: We walk to the Lady Shrine (and remember that walk is hard work) and then we walk from the Shrine back to the altar of the most blessed sacrament of the Body and Blood of our Lord and God and Savior Jesus Christ for solemn benediction.

From "Ye who own the faith of Jesus / sing the wonders that were done" all the way to "Praise, O Mary, praise the Father / praise thy Savior and thy Son / praise the everlasting Spirit /who hath made thee ark and throne,"¹ it's all about Jesus, it's all about the Trinity.

Ya wanna make it all about Jesus, leaving Mary out of her principal place as Champion-leader (Τη Υπερμάχω) of the Saints? I'm down with that. Knock yourself out.

But, let's leave a little breathing room for diversity for the Orthodox, the Roman Catholics, and the Mary-praising AngloCatholics.

And, let it be said, lest we forget, that Vatican 2 is the most recent council, not confirmed yet by any subsequent one. And, it was not ecumenical. A tangent for another time.

It is no doubt a tangent, but surely the reason Anglo-catholics used to treat the Presentation/Purification, as well as the Annunciation, as being mainly about Mary, is because the Prayer Book had abolished the major feast of Our Lady on 15 August. Now that has been restored in Common Worship (and most other Anglican Communion calendars?) we can rebalance our perspectives a bit.

Of course Mary is the co-star in both the former feasts, but the lead character is Jesus.

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
It is no doubt a tangent, but surely the reason Anglo-catholics used to treat the Presentation/Purification, as well as the Annunciation, as being mainly about Mary, is because the Prayer Book had abolished the major feast of Our Lady on 15 August. Now that has been restored in Common Worship (and most other Anglican Communion calendars?) we can rebalance our perspectives a bit.

Of course Mary is the co-star in both the former feasts, but the lead character is Jesus.

I think that's right but it's worth adding that the Prayer Book also included the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary as a feast day - also the Prayer Book Calendar marked the Visitation of the BVM; the Nativity of the BVM and the Conception of the BVM. Many Anglo-Catholic parishes dedicated to St Mary used the Visitation or Nativity for their patronal festivals prior to liturgical reform.

While I can see the Marian theme in the feast it for me seems only A minor theme. None of the texts (except the Scripture) in the modern Roman Missal mention purification, or, it would seem Mary.

I see a principal theme being the light of the world, the glory of God, coming among his people.

So 'brightening' the 'holy temple' 'by the splendour of ... candles' seems appropriate.

I don't think anyone would contest that Mary was never the central theme of the feast: as with the Circumcision (except in reverse), it's the name that's changed, not the focus.

Candlemas is about Jesus. Good. Now that we have that sorted, allow me to say, in the same sentence, Nunc dimittis and candles.

[Smile]

Yes, indeed silent acolyte. To me Nunc D and candles seem significant features! I do find it a little strange though to sing 'Lord now let your servant depart...' as you enter! Oh I know it doesnt mean that, but...

Christ whose Glory fills the skies, seems a good choice for the day.

And I know hiundreds will cry out 'Oh No' to - Shine Jesus Shine - however, I'd not mind it being sung on this feast at the end.

Re: Shine Jesus, Shine

Although superficially this might seem a good idea if you read the words they refer to an adult Jesus - so not really appropriate to a 6 week old Lord, IMO.

In any case, its a cr*p song.

Can anyone possibly point me to an online resource with hymn suggestions for the day? Since the UMC doesn't observe Presentation, the General Board of Discipleship's worship page doesn't have any (they have Epiphany 4 suggestions).

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

You could do worse than go to the Hymnary site and either search by topic (if it's included) or appropriate Bible reference.

You could also try the Text this Week.

[ 21. January 2014, 12:17: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Ha! I don't know how I missed the links on TextWeek. Thank you.

Posted by venbede (# 16669) on :

The Orthodox call the feast on 2 February The Meeting (ie of Simeon and Anna with Jesus).

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

Our offering is a procession that includes blessing of church candles (and any domestic ones that people care to bring along) and a choral Eucharist. The music harks back to Advent and Christmas, includes a Nunc dimittis, and then looks forward towards Lent.

It's one of my favourite services of the whole year - up there with the Advent procession.

Posted by Fr Weber (# 13472) on :

Ours will include the blessing of candles (distributing them to the Nunc dimittis w/antiphon) and a procession with the candles outside the church, with the choir singing antiphons. And since we're blessing something, it's a great excuse for having incense, not only in the processions but also at the Introit, Gospel, and Offertory. [Smile]

"O Sion, open wide thy gates" is a little-heard but very suitable hymn for this feast.

Posted by Jade Constable (# 17175) on :

Just remembered - St Marys CoE in Tadley (Hants) always opens with the procession.

MOTR to high-ish mind so no incense or bells or sung Eucharist.

[ 25. January 2014, 21:52: Message edited by: Jade Constable ]

Okay, so here is how I think it is going to play out at our shack. The weather forecast is for nice, warm weather and a slight chance of rain. We can work with that. So we're going to start in the parking lot with candles and the Nunc Dimittis, and then process into the church. We are using smoke, chanting the Gloria (which we don't usually use at all), and using the sung responses to the Great Thanksgiving. Also, someone is singing Of the Father's Love Begotten as a solo, since the congregation and choir doesn't know it.

Posted by LA Dave (# 1397) on :

Our RC parish is celebrating with many candles, apparently to be carried by the choir in procession (the director warned us not to wear anything flammable). Details on Monday.

Posted by Mr Beamish (# 17991) on :

I've just moved here, and I think that our parish is having a Christingle supported by the girls' choir and juniors. I think the anthem is 'This Little Light of Mine' or similar. There may be a procession involved, I know not.

I'm going to the eight o'clock BCP service.

Presentation / Candlemas observed today.

1. All congregation got a candle which was lit after the Epistle.

2. New choristers were admitted after the sermon; new Head Chorister also given medal.

3. Altar candles for the coming year were blessed after communion.

For music we sang: Of the Father's love begotten; Hail to the Lord who comes to his temple gate; Faithful vigil ended; Forth in the peace of Christ (hymns). When to the temple Mary went Eccard; Nunc dimittis (Dyson in F); Played them out to the Choral Song and Fugue by Wesley.

Our music was quite similar: When to the temple Mary went - Eccard; Of the Father's love begotten; when candles are lighted on Candlemas day (with the Lourdes/Walsingham refrain to different words; some long-winded piece by Purcell and then Faithful vigil ended before the palaver at the font.

We had a 'church family' infant baptism after the homily, so we abbreviated the Ministry of the Word by omitting OT reading and psalm. After Communion, candles were lit, prayer offered, and then we managed to get pretty well everyone to process to the font (singing Faithful Vigil ended) for what leo calls the palaver!

We produced 80 service sheets, but ran out of both service sheets and candles......92 in church, all told, more than double our ASA. Everyone seemed happy with the service, singing was good, and the post-Mass carrot cake was to die for...... [Big Grin]

Ian J.

quote:
Our music was quite similar: When to the temple Mary went - Eccard; Of the Father's love begotten; when candles are lighted on Candlemas day (with the Lourdes/Walsingham refrain to different words; some long-winded piece by Purcell and then Faithful vigil ended before the palaver at the font.

And i forgot, we also has 'Christ be our light' at the offertory.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

We sang the Nunc Dimittis (Stanford in C) as the Anthem, and 'Faithful Vigil Ended' during the candlelit procession to the font. Over a Festival Lunch after church, the vicar complained that the hymn 'When candles are lighted' (all 13 verses) wasn't long enough!! [Big Grin]

Now we are returning to church for Festival Evensong - Rose responses, Wood in D Mag and Nunc, 'Lift up your heads' (Mathias), followed by Toccata in D Minor (Reger).

There is a definite sense of turning a corner as the candles are extinguished and the crib is dismantled, and we start to head towards Lent, Holy Week and Easter.

quote:
what leo calls the palaver!
Ian J.

I called it 'palaver' because it was a C of E invention in the green book 'The Promise of his Glory' from about 20 years ago, replacing the RC ceremonies which have a much deeper significance.

LOL!

Well, yes - we took our material from Times and Seasons, which, as enny fule kno, replaced TPOHG a while back. I'm not familiar with the RC ceremonies, though - in what respect are they of deeper significance?

Ian J.

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
the vicar complained that the hymn 'When candles are lighted' (all 13 verses) wasn't long enough!! [Big Grin]

I know the author so I might be able to persuade her to churn out a few more (and maybe give a discount for quantity).

/tangent alert/

Please could she add a few verses to the all-too-brief Walsingham Pilgrims' Hymn while she's about it? We're off to a Walsingham do at Guildford Cathedral later this month, and we need something to sing on the charabanc (especially if we get stuck in the roadworks on the M25)!

I'll get me coat......

Ian J.

quote:
LOL!

Well, yes - we took our material from Times and Seasons, which, as enny fule kno, replaced TPOHG a while back. I'm not familiar with the RC ceremonies, though - in what respect are they of deeper significance?

Ian J.

T & S and the previous TPOHG concentrate on the 'turning' from Christmas to Lent. So it all 'hinges' on people facing the font and narrows down the festival to Simeon's words about a sword piercing Mary's heart.

The Roman Rite STARTS with the blessing of candles and procession where ALL join in. Candles are relit to greet the Lord who comes to us in his word and in the sacrament - gospel and eucharistic prayer.

The wider symbolism embraces themes such as;

• old age and youth

• longing for the Kingdom

• presenting ourselves to God

• light as a sign of hope

• continuity with Judaism,

• Jesus 'belonging' to God, not his parents

We nearly invented a new ceremony yesterday - censing the oblations and altar with an open thurible.

The last time I witnessed that in was in 1974 in The Holy Spirit, Beeston, Leeds, when one of the coals landed in the chalice. That was on Candlemas too - but in the evening during the power cuts so there might have been some excuse.

Always make sure the lid is down and the ring around the chains is firm down.

Posted by LA Dave (# 1397) on :

As per the Roman rite, candles were blessed in the narthex prior to the procession. Candles were carried in procession by the choir, the confirmation class and the priest, lector and communion ministers. The processional hymn was a setting of the Nunc Dimittis, "Lord, Bid Your Servant Go in Peace" (Worship Hymnal #691), and the offertory anthem was Johannes Eccard's "Presentation of Christ in the Temple," translated from the original German. The offertory hymn was the other Presentation hymn in Worship, #692 "Hail to the Lord Who Comes." The communion canticle was Harold Friedell's 1957 setting of the Nunc Dimittis and the choir sang a Choral Recessional (first time for me), Richard Keys Biggs' setting of Lucis Creator, "Blest Creator of Light."

The homily, given by the pastor, the Rev. Larry Neumeier, focused on the meaning of the Presentation and its relation to Christmas. Interestingly, the Introit was the one appointed for Epiphany, "Ecce advenit dominator Dominus"; our choir director's research indicated that it could also be used for this feast.

Thanks, leo - I see your point. In all fairness, Father did mention several of those themes in his homily, viz.:
longing for the Kingdom;
presenting ourselves to God;
light as a sign of hope;
Jesus 'belonging' to God, not his parents.

We have, IIRC, done it the Roman way before now (on a weekday) so maybe we can try it again next year!

Ian J.

Posted by Ceremoniar (# 13596) on :

quote:
Thanks, leo - I see your point. In all fairness, Father did mention several of those themes in his homily, viz.:
longing for the Kingdom;
presenting ourselves to God;
light as a sign of hope;
Jesus 'belonging' to God, not his parents.

We have, IIRC, done it the Roman way before now (on a weekday) so maybe we can try it again next year!

Ian J.

Another theme is the foretelling by Simeon of the Sorrows of Our Lady. [Votive]

Posted by dj_ordinaire (# 4643) on :

A very good service led by children from the parish school in the morning, and a beautiful Choral Evensong in the evening. All very seemly. Even the weather cooperated by giving us a few hours of nearly-spring in the afternoon (don't worry, the next storm system had moved in by nightfall... [Roll Eyes] )

quote:
Originally posted by Ceremoniar:
Another theme is the foretelling by Simeon of the Sorrows of Our Lady. [Votive]

Indeed - except that the C of E 'invented rite' stresses that (without using the felicitous term itself) to the exclusion of anything else.

Maybe if I wrote to the Liturgical Commission t5o thank them for putting Our Lady back into our public liturgy, they'd change it to something more like the current Roman Rite (which most of us always used in the past).

I had the pleasure - because of special circumstances last weekend - of attending 4 different Candlemas services:

The first a very low key Sat evening Vigil Mass in my local RC church using t-lights rather than proper candles and Longing for light as the processional hymn sung unaccompanied. None of the other hymns were Candlemas related.

A 9.30am Sung Eucharist in Islington Deanery in a central tradition church. The service began with the blessing of candles which were lit while the cantor chanted the Nunc Dimitis. Excllent sermon - all the usual candlemas hymns, and at the end a recessional hymn to the crib with relit candles where the Candlemas responsary was said. All in all a lovely service.

An 11am Choral Eucharist with full polyphonic setting and orchestra, again with the blessing of candles at the start, processional to Hail to the Lord who comes but no further use for the candles.

A 6.30pm Ceremonies, procession and choral evensong which began in a side chapel. As the candles were lit the choir sang Hodie beata Virgo Maria, the candles were then blessed and we then followed Jeses taken from the crib as the choir sang what were described as the two prper processional antiphons. Then full choral evensong with the Eccard anthem sang in German (lovely) and ending with the final responsary as candles were relit and then extinguished after the Nunc Dimitis.

Posted by georgiaboy (# 11294) on :

A lot of the above sound lovely and appropriate. I fear that Candlemas at our place lost out to the Bp's Visitation, with baptisms (1 infant, 1 adult), 5 confirmations and 1 reception from RCC. Excellent sermon by our DEPO bishop (the TEC equiv of a 'flying bishop'), and a covered dish luncheon which ran out of food before I got any! The 'young turks' of the vestry were dispensing Bloody Marys, Mimosas (mimosae?), white wine and red wine in the garden (it was an unseasonably warm and sunny day), and I lingered there a bit too long.
Hymns included 'Hail to the Lord Who Comes', 'Lord, now let your servant go in peace' (Gibbons Song One), other hymns were more general, ending with a romp through 'Christ Is Made the Sure Foundation' to the Purcell tune.

Posted by Emendator Liturgia (# 17245) on :

In our little corner ofanglicana our Sung Eucharist for the Feast of the Purification of St Mary the Virgin (Candlemas) (we are after all communities dedicated to the Blessed Mother) the preludes were two of J.S. Bach's chorales for the Feast of the Purification: "Es ist genug" (BWV 60) and “Herzlich tut mich verlangen" (BWV 727; the hymns were 'Blessed are the pure in heart', 'Hail the the Lord's anointed', 'Of the Father's love begotten', and 'O light of every nation'. The sermon meditation was the Gregorian chant of the Nunc Dimittis, while he Communion motet was Eccard's, 'When to the temple Mary went'.

After the blessing of the candles and the final hymn we then processed to the Lady Chapel singing the Nunc Dimittis to Anglican chant, then said the Angelus, had the blessing (different spot than usual, then processed to outside the door where we had a small liturgy focused on bringing the light of Christ to the world.

The organ postlude was the Toccata by Fjellestad.

Posted by Gwalchmai (# 17802) on :

Our church marked Candlemas as the real end of Christmas, when we turn from the stable to the cross. So candles, candles eveywhere, including hand held candles for the congregation (battery operated candles for the children). As it was a family eucharist we had a dramatised reading of the gospel, with Mary and Joseph bringing Jesus up the altar, to be received by Simeon. The solemnity was rather shattered when the lady taking the part of Anna came on to the words "she was very old" provoking laughter in the congregation (not least from the actress herself!). At the end a procession to the font where we were sprinkled with water.

The occasion was only marred by "Shine, Jesus, Shine" - as l'Organiste says, a crap song.

Someone from our congregation showed me a novel liturgy from a church he'd attended last Sunday - they went from OT & Epistle to sermon,creed snd intercessions.

THEN candles were blessed, censed and sprinkled and everyone followed the Gospel procession to the back. The candles remained lit for the offertory and eucharistic prayer.

Eccentric but thoughtful.

[ 09. February 2014, 14:36: Message edited by: leo ]

Posted by The Scrumpmeister (# 5638) on :

quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
The Orthodox call the feast on 2 February The Meeting (ie of Simeon and Anna with Jesus).

It is indeed the Meeting of the Lord in the Byzantine Rite.

In response to the exchange above, in the same rite, it is also one of the great feasts of the Mother of God and not one of the great feasts of the Lord. That is to say that, unlike a Great Feast of the Lord, there are no festal antiphons appointed for the Divine Liturgy but the usual psalms and Beatitudes are sung, and if it falls on a Sunday, it is combined with the Sunday celebration of the Resurrection rather than replacing it.

The blessing of candles is not a traditional observance of this feast in Byzantine usage but was imported from the Latin Rite, seemingly quite late on, and has settled quite awkwardly into place. Where it is observed, the rubrics (which reflect the Latin origins of the ceremony) are generally ignored and the blessing takes place after the Prayer Below the Ambo.

Posted by venbede (# 16669) on :

Nice to hear from you again, scrumps.

© Ship of Fools 2016