Thread: Rose vestments Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=027878

Posted by Corvo (# 15220) on :

I went to the 8 o'clock this morning (Lent 4) and afterwards heard a lady asking the vicar if he was wearing pink to celebrate the first gay marriages.

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

[Overused]

LOL... What was his reply.....?? Enquiring minds need to know!

Father wore our nice rose-pink chasuble this morning, but I didn't hear any comments as to its significance...

Ian J.

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
[Overused]

LOL... What was his reply.....?? Enquiring minds need to know!

Father wore our nice rose-pink chasuble this morning, but I didn't hear any comments as to its significance...

Ian J.

Unfortunately I didn't hear his reply.

Posted by Thurible (# 3206) on :

We don't own a rose set but borrowed one five years ago. Father found the comments afterwards so distracting that he hasn't borrowed it since and so we stick with purple throughout Advent and Lent.

Thurible

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

We don't have a rose set, and it really would be hard to justify the cost for such little use. What colour cassocks do the assistants wear? Should explain: by assistants, we mean those who asset in the distribution, not the servers, who are the crucifer and light bearers, and who prepare the ciboria and chalices.

[ 30. March 2014, 20:59: Message edited by: Gee D ]

Posted by Augustine the Aleut (# 1472) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
We don't have a rose set, and it really would be hard to justify the cost for such little use. What colour cassocks do the assistants wear? Should explain: by assistants, we mean those who asset in the distribution, not the servers, who are the crucifer and light bearers, and who prepare the ciboria and chalices.

AFAIK everyone wears their usual black cassocks, aside from those outlets where they put the servers in red. Normally, rose sets are given by people as memorials or for other reasons, so parishes generally don't worry about the admitted extravagance. I suppose you could amortize the cost over a century, rather than by a decade or two as one does with the usual range of colours. Some vestments, remounted, have been in use for almost 300 years.

Thank you Augustine. The assistants wear purple cassocks for Advent and Lent, rather than black; servers wear white albs.

The cost of a set of vestments would be extreme and I suspect that the Parish would prefer the money for more general use. No chasubles permitted here of course, but if you take 2 copes and 3 stoles alone, you're looking a sizeable sum. OTOH, the crèpe myrtles last Advent gave a magnificent display, and several of the colours would have been excellent for Mothering Sunday.

Posted by Hart (# 4991) on :

House of Hansen rose chasuble and priest stole: $400
House of Hansen rose deacon stole: $100.
Jokes about wearing pink that are somehow still hilarious year after year: priceless.

Posted by LQ (# 11596) on :

We have not one but two rose high mass sets, though one is a little bit Pepto-Bismol for some. We didn't use that one today (or in Advent, for that matter). I think there's just the one humeral veil though.

At St Thomas's, Huron Street, in Toronto, they don't have a separate rose set, but the high mass set for Advent and Lent is ambiguous enough that it can be deemed "rose" on the rose Sunday and "violet" on the others. Although it's been some time, IIRC they do bring back the tunicles on Advent III and Lent IV, so there is a visual distinction in that respect. (They don't have folded chasubles or anything: on violet Sundays, deacon and subdeacon just wear alb and stole, plus maniple for the deacon).

Posted by Intrepid Thurifer (# 77) on :

You can pick up a rose chasuble for as little as 80 euro here;
http://www.chasubles.eu/product-eng-2778-Gothic-Chasuble.html

quote:
Thank you Augustine. The assistants wear purple cassocks for Advent and Lent, rather than black; servers wear white albs.

The cost of a set of vestments would be extreme and I suspect that the Parish would prefer the money for more general use. *snip*

I know of few parishes which would not prefer the money for more general use. Donors, however, sometimes have their own ideas and can be fairly firm in their views. I have sat in on some splendid conversations in my time. If the Divine Will wants rose vestments at that altar, it will have them.

Posted by thwarted_thurifer (# 16177) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
quote:

AFAIK everyone wears their usual black cassocks, aside from those outlets where they put the servers in red. Normally, rose sets are given by people as memorials or for other reasons, so parishes generally don't worry about the admitted extravagance. I suppose you could amortize the cost over a century, rather than by a decade or two as one does with the usual range of colours. Some vestments, remounted, have been in use for almost 300 years.
We have a purple high mass set, but not rose (we do have a rose chasbule). We've recently acquired a deacon, and i wondered about what to do with this, so i stuck with purple.

At our cathedral, we don't have a set of green chasubles for the chapter, so on the odd occasion they've been needed, they wore white, with the Bishop and Deacons in Green.
Similarly, i understand black altar frontals and tabernacle veils are not the done thing, so...

Could we have retained purple for the deacon, lectern fall, tabernacle veil, chalice veil etc, and just used the rose chasuble, treating rose as a special case of purple?

quote:
Originally posted by Intrepid Thurifer:

Chasubles are still banned here. I know of one group, whose priests (normal Anglican, not some of those who have left the Anglican Communion) were ordained elsewhere and whose services are not conducted on Anglican Church premises, who use chasubles. Not for parish use though.

Posted by Evangeline (# 7002) on :

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Intrepid Thurifer:

Chasubles are still banned here. I know of one group, whose priests (normal Anglican, not some of those who have left the Anglican Communion) were ordained elsewhere and whose services are not conducted on Anglican Church premises, who use chasubles. Not for parish use though.
I find it rather amusing that Presbyters in Sydney can preach in shorts and bare feet (yes I've seen it [Disappointed] ) and yet there is a specific ban on a particular type of robe.

If they ere so inclined, they could wear board shorts in the liturgically correct colours - and perhaps even matching thongs. But things are perhaps reining back. At the consecration of the new Regional Bishop on Saturday, all of the dozen or so bishops attending wore convocation rig, and the preacher wore a black cassock and scarf with white surplice.

Posted by Evangeline (# 7002) on :

Board shorts, ok, but I doubt most recent Moore grads even know what the liturgically correct colours are. I'm not particularly fussed if they want to do the what you wear doesn't matter & I'm so culturally relevant and cool that i wear boardies to preach, just mildly amused that that's fine but they ban certain attire at the same time as announcing that it doesn't matter what you wear.

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Evangeline:
Board shorts, ok, but I doubt most recent Moore grads even know what the liturgically correct colours are. I'm not particularly fussed if they want to do the what you wear doesn't matter & I'm so culturally relevant and cool that i wear boardies to preach, just mildly amused that that's fine but they ban certain attire at the same time as announcing that it doesn't matter what you wear.

Very slightly west to Sydney Town, I once attended a service at the cathedral there. In pew in front of me was a young couple who really needed to be told to get a room somewhere. Very distracting it was too. However, when sermon time came, this young recent graduate from you can guess where was the preacher. He had a very garish Hawaiian shirt so I suppose that could have covered most liturgical colours. I was amazed after the display I could not help seeing and also amazed by the place of the sermon in the service. Apparently done to accommodate broadcast times.

Nor will I forget the wedding I attended at a different church where minister wore chinos and a very casual shirt and sandals.

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

Oh believe me, the Aotearoa form of low - low liberal, a species not much seen in OZ Ang - would wear similar horrendities.

Though they might accommodate pink. Just not a chasuble.

Do Moore College graduates wear gowns and hoods, and, if so, of what colour?

If you mean members of the Moore College clique, usually not when taking a service - suit is the best you could hope for. Remember that it's near impossible for a person who dod not have some education at Moore College to get an appointment in Sydney, even if they're only there for 6 months. So to talk of graduates as if they an an homogenous group is potentially misleading.

quote:
If you mean members of the Moore College clique, usually not when taking a service - suit is the best you could hope for. Remember that it's near impossible for a person who dod not have some education at Moore College to get an appointment in Sydney, even if they're only there for 6 months. So to talk of graduates as if they an an homogenous group is potentially misleading.

I meant is there an official Moore College hood?

Can't help on that, sorry. I don't recall ever seeing one, and wearing academic hoods as choir dress has not been the practice here in my lifetime.

Posted by Olaf (# 11804) on :

Time to pull out this old chestnut.

Posted by uffda (# 14310) on :

Good one, Olaf. I hadn't seen that one for a while. But I don't know if the rest of the world is ready for Lutheran Satire.

Posted by Roselyn (# 17859) on :

Of course "pink" is a traditional colour for men as it is a version of red and therefore Strong! (only got diverted to females early/mid last century)

quote:
Originally posted by Roselyn:
Of course "pink" is a traditional colour for men as it is a version of red and therefore Strong! (only got diverted to females early/mid last century)

I have a vague memory of reading that the 17th Lancers (or was it Hussars??) who wore pink trousers in post-Napoleonic times. It is unfortunate that rose was never adopted for use in tropical climates by British forces. Not only would it have been practical, but it would have been a rare gesture of homage to Our Lady by imperial forces.

Posted by Emendator Liturgia (# 17245) on :

quote:
I know of one group, whose priests (normal Anglican, not some of those who have left the Anglican Communion) were ordained elsewhere and whose services are not conducted on Anglican Church premises, who use chasubles. Not for parish use though.

Thanks for the plug, Gee D: anyone interested in seeing a chasuble (or dalmatic/tunicle) worn at an Anglican service in Sydney can see them at the sermons we have up on YouTube - just search for Sermons Community of Our Lady. The closest we've come so far to a rose chasuble is that worn by our visiting preacher last week - the Revd. Robert Clark from MCC Good Shepherd.

Posted by Kittyville (# 16106) on :

Oh, I don't know, uffda. I love those Lutheran Satire clips. "Things Your Lutheran Pastor Totally Loves : Being Mistaken for the ELCA" is another favourite. (Sorry - need to practice links).

I know nothing about Lutheranism beyond what I read here, so I like that video not because I have a view on the ELCA relative to other "flavours" of Lutheranism. It's just that Hans Fiene seems to have such a keen sense of his fellow humans, and a knack for capturing the absurdities of their interactions with each other.

Posted by uffda (# 14310) on :

Hi there, Kittyville.
There are a few Lutherans around here. Even though a thread on pink or rose vestments is an unlikely place to find them. [Roll Eyes]

© Ship of Fools 2016