Thread: High church Lutherans in the SF Bay Area? Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=027909

Posted by Amanda in the South Bay (# 18185) on :

Are there any remotely high *ELCA* Lutheran parishes in the San Francisco Bay Area? Places that put the evangelical in evangelical catholic, and don't have praise bands as their main service?

I've tended to notice that all American Lutheran denominations tend towards a very low style of worship, and that "traditional" American Lutheran liturgy tends to be what most Episcopalians would recognize as vanilla 79 BCP/MOTR.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

Boy, not even most of the LCMS churches around here fit that bill. The closest thing to a high Lutheran church I can think of closed a few years back-- and that was a full- on German Lutheran outpost near Mission Dolores. They even had German language services.

Posted by Vetus Organorum (# 17990) on :

As a former High Church Lutheran, now a Roman Catholic, I can understand where you are coming from. Yet, there are high church parishes out there, and I suspect there are some in the San Francisco, area. You might ask an ELCA pastor, or try the Synod Office. Hang in there and keep looking.

Amanda, may have found something. Try St. Mark's, 1111 O'Farrell St., San Francisco, 94109, with a phone #of 415-928-7770. They do have an excellent web site also.

Sorry for the bad grammar in my previous post. [Frown]

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

Wow, that might work. The last time I was actually at St Mark's ( years ago) they were pursuing a folk style,that's why it didn't leap to mind. ( the website is much sleeker than it was, too. )

(When I was a youngster, my youth group made a project of visiting every Lutheran church within reasonable distance-- at the time mist of them seemed pretty low candle.)

[ 04. August 2014, 22:33: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Posted by LQ (# 11596) on :

Christ Church in the Sunset District should fit the bill. I've come across the pastor in the Facebook group of the Society for the Preservation of the Evangelical Lutheran Liturgy.

[ 05. August 2014, 04:05: Message edited by: LQ ]

Posted by Amanda in the South Bay (# 18185) on :

Thanks for the advice, alas for a region as large as the Bay Area the choices are slim.

Posted by ChippedChalice (# 14057) on :

St. Mark's is physically beautiful -- especially the windows. But Christ Church in the Sunset District is indeed your best bet for high church Lutheran liturgy.

Posted by Gramps49 (# 16378) on :

Speaking as a Lutheran, while I was trained all the smells and bells at Seminary, I would admit one would be hard pressed to find a real high church in most areas. I can think of one in NYC, but that's not San Francisco. [Smile]

Posted by uffda (# 14310) on :

I want to affirm the recommendation of Christ Lutheran made by LQ. The pastor is a classmate of mine, and I think you will find the liturgy to your liking. He is a very serious student of the liturgy, and frequently posts pictures of their liturgy on FB.

Posted by LQ (# 11596) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
Speaking as a Lutheran, while I was trained all the smells and bells at Seminary, I would admit one would be hard pressed to find a real high church in most areas.

Perhaps we need an ELCA/ELCiC edition of the Evangelical-Lutheran Liturgical Congregations directory?

[ 09. August 2014, 02:35: Message edited by: LQ ]

Posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras (# 11274) on :

quote:
Speaking as a Lutheran, while I was trained all the smells and bells at Seminary, I would admit one would be hard pressed to find a real high church in most areas. I can think of one in NYC, but that's not San Francisco. [Smile]

IN NYC (Manhattan), wouldn't Holy Trinity, St Peter's, and St Luke's all qualify these days?

As to San Fran, from what I know of their pastor as an fb friend, I would also endorse the recommendation of Christ Lutheran Church.

[ 16. August 2014, 12:58: Message edited by: Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras ]

Posted by sonata3 (# 13653) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras:
quote:

IN NYC (Manhattan), wouldn't Holy Trinity, St Peter's, and St Luke's all qualify these days?

All three of these parishes have been Mystery Worshiped: St. Luke's in 2013 (#2537), Holy Trinity in 2013 (#2512), and St. Peter's twice, in 2009 (#1847) and 2011 (#2153).
The Chicago area, too, boasts at least three evangelical-catholic parishes: St. Luke's, Holy Trinity, and (in Evanston) Immanuel.

© Ship of Fools 2016