Thread: Acceptable Christmas songs Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=027955

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

I have decided that Fairytale is no longer any good - far too overdone. it does leave my list of tolerable Christmas songs rather short.

Pretenders with 2000 miles. Because the Pretenders are always good

Low with Just like Christmas. Because it is low-key and cool.

I don't think there are any others. And please remember that the hosts have to click every link, so if you insist on linking to ten of the most gut-churning tripe, they will have to check it, and hate you for eternity.

So any other Christmas songs that are vaguely tolerable?

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

Pretty much Vince Guaraldi.

Posted by Sherwood (# 15702) on :

I rather like 'Another Christmas song' by Jethro Tull.

Posted by ArachnidinElmet (# 17346) on :

Or 'Ring Out Those Solstice Bells' also by Tull.

Posted by Trudy Scrumptious (# 5647) on :

Fairytale off the list? Blasphemy I say! If it weren't for that song I'd never get through Christmas.

Posted by jrw (# 18045) on :

I love 'Run with the fox' by Chris Squire and Alan White.

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

Joni Mitchell - The River.

I am guessing the Fairy Tale is the song by the Pogues? It gets limited if any radio play here.

quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
Fairytale off the list? Blasphemy I say! If it weren't for that song I'd never get through Christmas.

I just gets played so much. I still like the cynical nature of the song, but I get fed up of it. It is better than many, I would accept, but for me, it has dropped off the "acceptable" list for now.

Posted by Kitten (# 1179) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:

I just gets played so much. I still like the cynical nature of the song, but I get fed up of it. It is better than many, I would accept, but for me, it has dropped off the "acceptable" list for now.
I prefer the Paloma Faith version

Posted by Jemima the 9th (# 15106) on :

Christmas Time (Don't let the bells end) by The Darkness. Total genius, especially the video.

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

My choral group is doing Karen and Richard Carpenter's "Merry Christmas Darling". Very touching, especially considering Karen's untimely death.

Posted by Stetson (# 9597) on :

Schroedinger's Cat wrote:

quote:
I have decided that Fairytale is no longer any good - far too overdone.
Do you mean Fairytale In New York? It does seem to have devolved into a somewhat edgier avatar of Christmas In Killareny, hasn't it. Stage-Irishness with heroin references.

That said, my perceptions are possibly influenced by s atory that was credibly reported to me several years ago, about a group of drunk Irish folks who got into trouble up in Seoul.

Apparently, they were all getting plastered at a bar somewhere, the bartender told them it was time to drink up and leave, but instead of heeding his request, they started in with a rousing, roundtable rendition of FTINY. Things went from there, and ended up with gangsters being called in and several Hibernians staggering out on the front street with bloodied faces.

Their choice of singalong material just added to the whole real-life cliche aspect of it.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

I can't believe I missed that thread. It's hilarious.

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
... I am guessing the Fairy Tale is the song by the Pogues? It gets limited if any radio play here.

It came on the piped music in a pizza restaurant where we were earlier this evening, and I thought it made a nice change from Bing Crosby. Then again, IMHO fingernails being dragged down a blackboard would make a nice change from Bing Crosby ... [Devil]

I don't mind Fairytale of New York, and there are a few (mostly rather ancient) seasonal British pop-songs that I really quite like:

I Believe in Father Christmas - Greg Lake
Mull of Kintyre - Wings
Do They Know It's Christmas? - Band Aid (the original one)
Merry Christmas Everybody - Slade

Of course, this absolutely doesn't make them Acceptable, but they make me feel festive in a way that the awful American fodder we get over here never will.

Posted by Dormouse (# 5954) on :

Most of the songs on Thea Gilmore's " Strange Communion" album and Chris Squire's Swiss Choir. Most years Mr D puts together a Christmas CD and these are going to feature heavily again.
Although it's winter rather than Christmas, Kate Bush's 50 Words for Snow is also going to feature.
And I love Chris Rea's Driving home for Christmas for its line about home " I'll get my feet on holy ground" and for the memories it creates for me.

Posted by Sparrow (# 2458) on :

I have a fondness for "Stop the Cavalry".

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:

I have a sentimental soft spot for this version.

Posted by North East Quine (# 13049) on :

The ultimate Christmas round robin. We love Chairon Beta Prime.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Do They Know It's Christmas?[/i] - Band Aid (the original one)...Of course, this absolutely doesn't make them Acceptable, but they make me feel festive in a way that the awful American fodder we get over here never will.

Sorry to suggest 'humbug' but the song was written with West Africans in mind, the majority of whom are Christians and would undoubtedly know that it was Christmas and probably observed it much more as a religious festival than people do in the West.

quote:
Mull of Kintyre - Wings

Greg Lake is on the edges of acceptable. The rest make me want to gouge my brain out.

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
Do They Know It's Christmas?[/i] - Band Aid (the original one)...Of course, this absolutely doesn't make them Acceptable, but they make me feel festive in a way that the awful American fodder we get over here never will.

Sorry to suggest 'humbug' but the song was written with West Africans in mind, the majority of whom are Christians and would undoubtedly know that it was Christmas and probably observed it much more as a religious festival than people do in the West.
According to wiki, the song was written for the Ethiopian famine(which is also the popular perception of it). I think Ethiopia is pretty eastern, as far as Africa goes.

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!
One of the great secular Christmas songs, even if I can't listen to it without getting a mental picture of Bruce Willis in a dirty vest shouting 'Holly'...

Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas as sung by Perry Como (and his versions of I'll be home for Christmas and The Christmas song (chestnuts roasting etc) aren't bad either.

And although its cheesy, White Christmas is still a great song - as sung by Bing Crosby, of course.

Band Aid - now or 30 years ago - was a horrible song.

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
White Christmas is still a great song - as sung by Bing Crosby, of course.

Indeed. Irving Berlin wrote it right here in Arizona while lounging at poolside. The story goes that he said to his secretary, "Quick, write this down. I think I just made up the greatest song ever written." Of his own legendary performance, Bing Crosby is said to have scoffed that even a trained jackdaw could sing it.

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
According to wiki, the song was written for the Ethiopian famine(which is also the popular perception of it). I think Ethiopia is pretty eastern, as far as Africa goes.

Large numbers of Ethiopians are Christians and have been since the C4. They are Monophysites. I suspect they may celebrate Christmas on 7th January.

Posted by MrsBeaky (# 17663) on :

Some Christmas songs are just plain awful.
Then there are others which like the ones cited by L'organist above can be awful or wonderful- it all depends who is doing the singing.

I am now fondly thinking about my CD back in the UK "The Rat Pack Christmas album".....

Actually the Ethiopian church is rather older than that, going back to the 1st century. Its odd that even after it was left isolated by the spread of Islam it still looked to the Patriarch of Alexandria, only getting its own in the 20th century.

The majority of the Ethiopian and Eritrean populations are Christian, with most being Ethiopian Copts.

Yes, they'll celebrate Christmas on 7th January but the actual calendar is mighty strange, being based on 12 30 day months with a very short - 5 or 6 day - 13th month put in sometime in August. (with thanks to my friend Gebre Kiristos for explaining it to me some time ago)

Here are some of the worst. All have the capacity to produce instant nausea. I challenge anyone to disagree with me. Or am I just an old misery?:-
Here's one and here's another. This one's dire too. This is another one I loathe.

This one isn't directly about Christmas but it's got the same trite emotional quality. Nor, strictly was this horror but it was released for Christmas in 1980.

[ 07. December 2014, 17:12: Message edited by: Enoch ]

I'm with you on Alvin and Pinky & Perky (did you know the piglets were voiced by Mike Sammes?) but the Dean Martin is well sung, even if you don't like it.

As for St Winifred's Choir and Clive Dunn - hideous.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

There aren't many, but I have to own up to liking "All I Want for Christmas is You" as in Love Actually.

Right song in the right place. More cheese than you'll find in Cheddar in the tourist season.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:
quote:
Mull of Kintyre - Wings

Greg Lake is on the edges of acceptable. The rest make me want to gouge my brain out.
Years ago I set up a play list of Great Songs by those who had become better known (and some who are only known) for dire Christmas songs. The Great non-Xmas Song Album could would go platinum in days.

Then there are the dire songs by dire people who never got better than dire - some rather famous.

I won't give a link but if you have a strong constitution look for a humdinger called Him sung by Sarah Brightman.

Quite apart from the nauseous lyrics
quote:
He stays with me the whole night through
Through space and time we swim
He loves me in a thousand ways
The nights helps me to face the days
I dream all night of him

its another of those ALW 'compositions' which turn out to be written by someone else - in this case one C Hubert H Parry.

Go on, look it up - just make sure you have a bin handy.

Posted by Doublethink. (# 1984) on :

I loved the audacity of this, as a Christmas single - I find it perversely comforting.

Posted by Heavenly Anarchist (# 13313) on :

quote:

Me too [Smile]

quote:
Nor, strictly was this horror but it was released for Christmas in 1980. [/QB]
Here's an antidote.

Posted by Timothy the Obscure (# 292) on :

The Springsteen version of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town."

quote:
... The rest make me want to gouge my brain out.

My apologies, SC. At least I didn't post links ... [Devil]

Posted by Stumbling Pilgrim (# 7637) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
quote:

Me too [Smile]
I went to a local Christmas event the other night where two 'Tudor' musicians were playing and singing Christmas music, and as I entered the building they were playing 'Ding Dong Merrily' on lute and recorder, but cheekily crossed with 'Stop the Cavalry' (I was in the next room so unfortunately didn't get to ask them about the Tudor-ness of the latter). It worked (and if it's now playing in your head, sorry). Afterwards they asked some children present if they recognised it, and they said, 'yeah, Ding Dong Merrily'. I was kind of pleased that at least they recognised a traditional carol, even if they were unaware of the gap of several hundred years between the composition of music and words, but also felt kind of old because I knew what else they were playing.

Posted by Lord Jestocost (# 12909) on :

Mike Oldfield's In Dulci Jubilo

Steeleye Span's Gaudete.

And this was a Christmas no. 1 so might count ... technically ...

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Actually the Ethiopian church is rather older than that, going back to the 1st century. Its odd that even after it was left isolated by the spread of Islam it still looked to the Patriarch of Alexandria, only getting its own in the 20th century.

The majority of the Ethiopian and Eritrean populations are Christian, with most being Ethiopian Copts.

Yes, they'll celebrate Christmas on 7th January but the actual calendar is mighty strange, being based on 12 30 day months with a very short - 5 or 6 day - 13th month put in sometime in August. (with thanks to my friend Gebre Kiristos for explaining it to me some time ago)

So they could reply to Geldorf et al 'Do they know it's Advent'?:

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Jestocost:
... this was a Christmas no. 1 so might count ... technically ...

So was Bohemian Rhapsody, but I doubt that it appears on any "Christmas Pop Songs" compilations (except "Christmas No. 1s", obviously).

In a way, Mull of Kintyre is in that category: it's not overtly Christmassy, but it happened to be at No. 1 at Christmas and, having bagpipes, got us Scots into the right frame of mind for Hogmanay ... [Big Grin]

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

Solstice Bells? tick
I believe in Father Christmas, Greg Lake? tick - just for being one of the most cynical Chrismas songs ever
Stop the Cavalry? tick
Gaudete? definite tick
Anything from Maddy Prior and the Carnival Band's Carols and Capers albums.

Posted by BessLane (# 15176) on :

Was just going to say I Beleive in Father Christmas, that one and Hockey Holidays by the Zambonis are the only two Christmas songs that won't make me change the station at work...

eta: Not that the Zambonis get ANY air-time here in the South [Big Grin]

[ 09. December 2014, 18:14: Message edited by: BessLane ]

Posted by Sandemaniac (# 12829) on :

I seem to recall that Westlife (or some other such band of coxless wonders) had a Christmas number one that was a double A side (double B side?) with, of all things, that well known perky chirpy Christmas song Seasons in the Sun!

AG

Posted by churchgeek (# 5557) on :

I happen to love Christmas music...but not anything you're likely to hear in the canned music at the store.

For me, though, it's definitely Christmas once I've listened to the following essential CDs:
--The Cheiftains, The Bells of Dublin
--Bruce Cockburn, Christmas
--and the 2 Christmas CDs put out by Projekt Records.

Those albums are a bit of a relief from the radio and canned-music type.

Some of you probably already like, or would like, Jackson Browne's contribution to the Chieftains' CD, "The Rebel Jesus." He's quite critical of Christians who celebrate Christmas without concern for the poor or for the environment the rest of the year.

Bruce Cockburn does some really nice creepy, minor-key, and otherwise non-comercialized Christmas music, including the enigmatic old English carol, "Down in Yon Forest."

Projekt is a darkwave (think "goth," but not quite) label, and their Christmas CDs from the late '90s, Excelsis Vols. 1 and 2, contain some really lovely renditions of favorite carols, but also some slightly dark, even creepy (Attrition's "Silent Night," e.g.) takes. And some non-Christian seasonal music. And one of the discs has a version of "I believe in Father Christmas," which some of you indicated liking.

Posted by Hugal (# 2734) on :

I would put in Cliff Richard's version of Little Town as it is actually very good.
The version of Blue Christmas on Micheal Bubles Christmas album is worth a listen. I always imagine that he is drowning his sorrows in a bar. The whole album is quite good infact, though I am still unsure about his version of Santa Baby.

Posted by ExclamationMark (# 14715) on :

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

And there's always snow in Africa anyway. How I dislike songs (or anything) that doesn't tell the truth.

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

We have got an eclectic selection of folk and folk-style carols on CD (Maddy Prior, New Scorpion Band, Magpie Lane, Mellstock Band etc.); together with quite a lot of European stuff (Czech Christmas cantata, Hungarian medieval carols) and some Georgian gallery-carol music (Psalmody). The King's-style carolling, so beloved of our organist, just doesn't "do" it for us any more - indeed, it actively "doesn't"!

Mind you, we usually find time to listen to Hely-Hutchison's "Carol Symphony" too!

Posted by Albertus (# 13356) on :

I'm going to stick my head above the parapet and say that I really like Slade's Merry Xmas Everybody. I like its very British panto / (Giles cartoon-type) family Christmas/ boozy singalong vibe. And I don't care who knows it.

Posted by bib (# 13074) on :

I have just come across the Hallelujah Christmas Version which is the Leonard Cohen tune to Christmas lyrics. I think I rather like it.

Posted by Spawn (# 4867) on :

Have a listen to Alan Hull's Winter Song (Lindisfarne).

Fall Out Boy's Yule Shoot your eye out has the same kind of humour, but a bit more angst, as Fairytale.

© Ship of Fools 2016