Thread: Praise and Thanksgiving 2014 Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=028006

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

This is the thread for the giving of thanks not just to God but to those people and organizations that have influenced our lives for good whether momentarily or over the longer term.

All that we have comes from God, may we all be faithful in giving thanks.

-- WW

Posted by Ye Olde Motherboarde (# 54) on :

May we always be thankful for all those whom GOD surrounds us with. Those, who while not being our blood, are more than family in many ways. We thank those for the coming year who will help us get through.
God bless us, everyone.

Posted by Starbug (# 15917) on :

Thank You, Lord, for good friends. As a popular fridge magnet says, 'Friends are the family you make yourself'.

Posted by Cara (# 16966) on :

I give thanks for a lovely Christmas season, which--so far-- has included the engagement, and very soon afterwards, the wedding, of one of my children! And much good time spent with all my nearest and dearest.
I feel very blessed.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

Thanks to the Shipmates. Your wit and inight, your kindness and comeradery have sustained me in ways you will never know.

Posted by To The Pain (# 12235) on :

[Yipee] I have been brave and started a (long overdue) Very Good Thing [Yipee]

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
... your kindness and comeradery have sustained me in ways you will never know.

Isn't that what we're here for? [Smile]

Posted by basso (# 4228) on :

I moved this week.

After far too long a period of instability, I've been able to move into an apartment. (Shared, but asking for more would be pushing it...)

My life is starting to turn around, and I'm grateful for everybody that helped make it possible.

[Angel] [Cool]

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

Just received the news that a young friend with stage 3B cancer has been negative for cancer in the last 2 tests. I can not begin to express the thankful joy I am feeling for him and all who love him.

Posted by daisymay (# 1480) on :

Something is different on my "compline" (Mac) and I had problems about getting into my e-mail. I prayed all day and now God has got me onto the e-mails! Thank you, God. You are a loving one! [Overused]

In a 'God works all things for good' sort of a way; following her husband's unexpected death last week (posted on prayer thread), the parents of V entered her house for the first time in over 20 years. We don't think they've ever met the younger two grandchildren. Praying for further reconciliation.

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

Thank God for the good health and happy, active life of my 89 year old father. May it long continue. [Axe murder] [Votive]

Posted by ebeth (# 4474) on :

Good news and good appointment with one of the docs today. It's been such an odyssey that I have to share the success. Maybe things are on the upswing.

Posted by Japes (# 5358) on :

I am giving thanks for knowing the signs of drowning, and for the speed with which the lifeguards at the pool responded.

Today could've had a very different outcome otherwise.

For Scotland's Equal Marriage bill going through. Mostly relief, but that's a form of thanksgiving, right?

Posted by Nicolemr (# 28) on :

My son-in-law had his interview to get his permanent residency status today, and all went well and he was approved.

Posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom (# 3434) on :

Yesterday was a bad day for my partner because of a crazy decision made by her manager that was really hurtful (and plain mean, I think).

In the evening, after mopping up buckets of tears, we were sitting reading and the phone rang. It was a lovely guy from the church we used to attend. He and his wife are people we have been acquainted with for years and its always a pleasant experience, but we hadn't seen him for at least 18 months.

He rang to tell us that our names had been mentioned in Sunday's sermon, in regard to how welcoming we had made the church choir, and how our attitude to inclusivity had made all the difference to the preacher. You could have knocked us over with a feather!

My thanks for people like Brian, who want to pass on good news.

Posted by Ethne Alba (# 5804) on :

After the lashing of rain and wind, grateful thanks for a moment of warm sunshine

Posted by Niteowl (# 15841) on :

My aunt who was in a coma, on life support and not expected to last through the night over a week ago has made a very rapid recovery and was released from hospital today. Praise God!

I gave a talk about my trade union work to one of our church clubs last night. I was extremely nervous, but prayed about it and it turned out wonderfully. I relaxed and enjoyed the whole thing. Thank You, Lord! [Yipee]

[ 20. February 2014, 05:46: Message edited by: Starbug ]

Crocuses!!!!

Another nephew!

Congratulations, Uncle Wodders!

I'm here to say that my job's been guaranteed until June, when another funding application is going in, and my boss is going to do everything she can to keep me on.

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Posted by Ferijen (# 4719) on :

It's been ten years since my first mini shipmeet.

Giving thanks for this place.

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

I am very thankful that Miss M has had ten days at home without a recurrence of the side effects of the second round of chemo. That put her back in hospital with a temperature of 41°C and pronounced heart arrhythmia.

[ 27. February 2014, 22:11: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

Posted by Mad Cat (# 9104) on :

Today I am grateful for the life of Joan, and all the people she made happy.

I'm thankful for Camp Sloane YMCA, which I suddenly missed massively this evening. My experience of working there was amazing, and helps me to be a better teacher now, even after all these years.

[ 02. March 2014, 19:11: Message edited by: Mad Cat ]

Posted by TheAlethiophile (# 16870) on :

Giving thanks for some people who changed their minds. My parents were looking to move home, but the couple they are buying off threatened to derail the whole chain, which would have made another couple (first time buyers) homeless.

Am grateful it all got sorted and the contract exchange took place last night.

[Axe murder]

Doctors are very happy with Miss M's response overall to the chemo since the beginning of they year. She is making progress. Chemo will continue for another four months continuously and then less often for several years. While numbers may be good, it is known that the extra sessions are needed to prevent relapse.

We are especially happy as the chemo induced diabetes and pancreatitis are fading as chemo type changes.

My daughter bought her first car!

A year or so ago I asked for prayers for a young couple who had just had a stillborn baby - yesterday the husband, a neighbour, stopped me to say that his wife had, just the previous day, been delivered of healthy, bouncy twin girls!

The size of his smile was amazing!

[Yipee] [Yipee]

Posted by Raptor Eye (# 16649) on :

[Votive] For thanks to those who prayed for me.

[Votive] Thanks and praise to you Lord for the embrace of the Holy Spirit, which has strengthened me; for the reminder that it's as important to care for our spiritual health as it is to care for our physical and mental health; and for the metaphorical touch of coal on my lips (which has the appearance of having physically had my lips burned!) and which has already helped me to say the right thing, and to refrain from saying the wrong thing.

[minor coding tweak - WW]

[ 06. March 2014, 13:12: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

THANK YOU LORD that i can finally understand this pile of papers before me [Smile]

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

My brother is coming home for a visit! [Big Grin] [Yipee]

We haven't seen him for fourteen years. Daughter-Unit and I were just speaking of him Tuesday, trying to remember how long it's been since we saw him. We figured twelve to thirteen years.

So today, he answered that question as he asked if it would be OK to come for about two weeks. Please!

Out of the blue and after nearly four years without paid employment, the Least likely person at a place where I volunteer has offered specific help to get me back into paid work. (Quite a lot of specific help actually)

I am surprised/ happy/ grateful/ shocked/ humbled/ happy/ alarmed/ excited....and all at once. Thank you Lord.

Posted by maleveque (# 132) on :

Middlemost Child returned from college Saturday night, safe and sound. She will be home for three months, working and doing a couple of online classes (this is a regular part of her college's program - students go and work every third term, and the school year is year-round).
- Anne L.

Posted by Nicodemia (# 4756) on :

Praise God that a close family member is settled in her new home after so many upsets and disappointments.

Thanks especially for a Shippie's prayers as well.

Posted by North East Quine (# 13049) on :

I have had a lovely letter from the schoolteacher who was the biggest influence on my fledgling Christian life. I give thanks for her regularly. However, she was evangelical and, I thought, disapproved of my steady progress towards liberalism. And so I thought she no longer wanted contact; it's been several years since we were last in contact. She said she was clearing out old paperwork and came across some old letters and wants to get back in touch.

Perhaps she's going to try to get me back on the path of righteousness!

I'm overjoyed to hear from her.

Posted by tessaB (# 8533) on :

Giving thanks for my mother's move into a retirement flat today. Four years after my father's death, she is finally in a place where she can relax and not have too many worries about the upkeep of a big house and garden. Thank You God for her lovely estate agent who even fixed her telly for her (yes, I know!)

Posted by nickel (# 8363) on :

I have so much to be thankful for. Among the more surprising things is -- a new house! Dear husband and I had been looking to relocate to a town closer to family. Last September we came thiiiissss close to closing a deal on a unique home; heartbreak. But lo and behold, half a year later, it's ours!

Posted by Zoey (# 11152) on :

Given how often I moan about and ask prayers for my work situation on the Ship, I should really also give praise when praise is due. Departmental shuffling meant that a few weeks ago I had a change of manager from Shite-Manager-2.0 to a new manager about whom there were promising signs from the off. A few weeks in, I continue to like my new manager's management style and consider her to be quite fab. Hooray!

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

Amen!

Posted by PeteC (# 10422) on :

On the evening of April 5-6 1969, I walked from my residence at University across the street to St Michael and All Angels Roman Catholic Church where, during the Easter Vigil, I was received into the Church.

45 years have passed, and at this point in time, it is a decision I have never regretted.

There have been bumpy times but now, in my increasing age, I feel that my ship has come into a safe harbour.

[Votive] and [Smile]

(((Uncle Pete))) [Smile]

Giving thanks for the wee church up the road and their Holy Week services. This may well become my refuge.

Posted by Bene Gesserit (# 14718) on :

Giving special thanks for the hard work, talent and dedication of choirs, Lay Clerks, organists & other church musicians - and for golden-voiced clergy!!

Posted by MrsBeaky (# 17663) on :

Giving thanks for our suddenly improved (long may it continue!) internet connection which has meant we have been able to Skype family and friends just as I was feeling horrendously homesick and cut off.

Posted by Tree Bee (# 4033) on :

Delighted that we have been able to book a long planned holiday in Victoria BC for the hotel and time that we wanted. [Yipee]

I had a pretty spectacular failure of my gas grill a few days ago. Many thanks to God for the thing not exploding, and that the fire generated did not ignite the rapidly escaping propane.

Also, very grateful for the firemen who took care of the situation and very emphatically told me I had handled the situation correctly.

I still have a house! [Yipee]

Thanks be to God for all the people who put my insides back where they ought to be, and that I am going HOME!

Yay, Lamb Chopped! [Big Grin]

Posted by Robert Armin (# 182) on :

Brilliant news! Delighted to hear that LC.

[Axe murder]

But now I'm just [Snore]

Proof that God was listening, LC. Take it easy now that you're home - rest is probably the thing you need most of at the moment.

[Yipee]

Hart is Father Hart now, just for the record.

Posted by jacobsen (# 14998) on :

My medical centre has a rule that requests for repeat prescriptions have to be submitted through their website at least two working days in advance. In a moment of disorganisation I realised that I had one day's meds left, but submitted my request anyway, with a grovelling apology added to a plea in the Any Other Info box for the prescription to be ready that same day. Bless the heart of whichever receptionist was on duty, for it was duly there! Such unlooked for kindness - not a Dragon, but a Human Bean!* Thank you! [Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder]

* reference to Roal Dahl's use of the term in The BFG (Big Friendly Giant)

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

Way back last year I mentioned that a close colleague's son, age 23, had been diagnosed with Lymphoma. It was pretty bad and he was given a very intensive course of chemotherapy which left him very week, down and desperate. His parents were much the same.

I've just caught up with S, my colleague, and he tells me his son, T, has completed chemo, feels a whole lot better and is going back to work next week! He only started the job a week before he went to the doctor for diagnosis, and while it isn't "cured" yet (he's due another scan in six weeks), he's hoping a lot.

I'm recovering well from my surgery, and I'm grateful for that. But what's got me [Waterworks] right now is my goddaughter and her mother, who just came to visit me, cleaned up my kitchen, and took away the garbage as well. Tomorrow they're bringing me Vietnamese chicken soup. I am now officially a happy soppy mess.

Glad to hear you're on the mend, LC, and [Yipee] for kindly relatives and friends.

The ATM card was at the bank, for this relief much thanks.

I've been today for 4 hours, at my person just next to me at homes. It is Muslim and she was dressed in a beautiful one. I met lots of friends there and we all had lots of food and nothing alcohol, just nice things. She is a really nice friend of mine and of many others. [Smile] I was told in advance that I did not have to cover my head, and also there were quite a few other women like me ! [Yipee] We had a really nice time !

Thank you, God, for fixing mt computer and also getting all sorts of things fixed a home, so now I can cook and have hot things and keep all sorts of food in the big one ! [Overused]

Posted by The Weeder (# 11321) on :

Thanks for answered prayer- after a rocky few days, all is now well.

Thank you that my Other Half was not seriously injured when he fell down the stairs in the wee small hours of today!

Today they fixed me in my mouth and it is still not feeling hurt ! [Overused]

Posted by Alex Cockell (# 7487) on :

I lost 8 kilos at my last Thatcham weigh-in on Monday..

Went down from 43st 11lbs in Nov to 42st 7lbs...
A long way to go.. but 1.3st so far...

Posted by The Intrepid Mrs S (# 17002) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Alex Cockell:
I lost 8 kilos at my last Thatcham weigh-in on Monday..

Went down from 43st 11lbs in Nov to 42st 7lbs...
A long way to go.. but 1.3st so far...

Alex, the longest journey starts with but a single step! Well done, what a great start [Smile]

Mrs. S, evangelist of encouragement

Posted by JoannaP (# 4493) on :

Thank God for CBT on the NHS.
I only had my second session yesterday but I am feeling more optimistic than I have done for several months. [Yipee]

My daughter's 24th birthday. The greatest love in my life.

Despite the wonkiness of our family dynamics, Neph is turning out to be a righteous young mensch. Praise God.

Posted by John Holding (# 158) on :

Thanks for the safe birth this morning of our first grandchild. Our daughter gave birth after only 2 1/2 hours of real labour. Baby is 20 inches long, 8 lb 4 oz.

John

quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
Thanks for the safe birth this morning of our first grandchild. Our daughter gave birth after only 2 1/2 hours of real labour. Baby is 20 inches long, 8 lb 4 oz.

John

Congratulations, a lovely cuddly bundle. Enjoy. I love my grandchildren very much.

From the mother of two who were four inches longer and two pounds lighter.

Congratulations, Grandpa JH! [Yipee]

A Lump turned out to be a paper tiger. Much praise and thanks!!!

Posted by Chocoholic (# 4655) on :

Praise God, Meriam Ibrahim is to be freed in a few days. It's not clear why the delay but wonderful she will be released.

BBC News report on Meriam Ibrahim

Having a sandwich at our local at lunch-time, I realised that I could not remember the last time I derived such intense pleasure from my food. It feels as if my unconscious has decided that I am bored of being depressed and want to enjoy life again [Yipee]

Thanks be to God - and thanks for all those who have supported me over the last few months and who have helped me to get this far, especially MrP.

Thank you God for a lovely time and blue sky often. [Overused]

Posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom (# 3434) on :

I am currently packing to go and celebrate my mother's 80th birthday. She is a wonderful woman and I feel very lucky to have her as a mother.

Over the last few weeks I've been going through old photos and slides and watching her transition from baby to teenager, from beautiful young woman to bride, from newly-wed to new mother, from stay-at-home mum to working mum then to business owner, from wife to widow to happily on her own. Hundreds of pictures (my granddad and my dad were both keen photographers, as am I) surrounded by family, friends, church people, school people, her employees, her grandchildren...

She has lived all her life in one small place, and she is still full of zest for learning and experiencing new things - her favourite programme of the last few years is Stargazing, with Brian Cox.

All my life she has been right behind me, cheering me on. She took on the school when I was getting bored, she took on my dad when I was going through adolescence, she took on the church when I was experiencing a lot of homophobia. All very politely, but without backing down. She adopted several of my gay friends who had been abandoned by their families. She taught me how to deal with fools with charm and humour, and how to make even quite hostile people into friends.

Now I do my best to look after her - from a distance mostly, because she didn't want me to lose my career - and we sit and chew the fat about whatever takes her fancy. She's still sensible, deep, generous and funny. Her body no longer does what she wants it to, but after a year of grumping, she's put that behind her as well.

I've been so lucky to have this amazing woman for my whole life.

What a lovely post, APW, and many happy returns to your mum. [Smile]

Posted by Gussie (# 12271) on :

Many Happy Returns to your mum, APW, enjoy yourselves.

Posted by Evensong (# 14696) on :

I've just finished my Bachelor of Theology. It's taken me nine years! The last four years have been a real struggle juggling family and work as well.

I can't believe its over. [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Thank you God!!!

[Axe murder] Congratulations and well done Evensong! [Yipee]

Posted by Sir Kevin (# 3492) on :

Yay!

Congratulations! [Smile]

Congratulations Evensong! My best wishes for whatever your calling and ministry may be.

Posted by basso (# 4228) on :

Congratulations, Evensong!

Posted by Deputy Verger (# 15876) on :

Contragulations, Evensong, and well done.

And thanks, APW. That was a really lovely post. I'm glad you still have your mother and still appreciate her.

My friend and lover Apostate630 was diagnosed with lymphoma but today he found it's a chronic form that can be managed and treated with drugs and won't be fatal.

Excellent news, Nicolemr - long may his health remain good. [Smile]

Posted by Pearl B4 Swine (# 11451) on :

Praise and thanks. First, that my best pal, J, who now lives 3000 miles away, got through her biopsy procedure with ease. Results to be known soon.

And second, a much lighter subject: my missing earring has turned up two rooms away from where I last saw the pair together. Thanks to St. Anthony (again!) who helps me often. I keep him busy due to my being such a sloven housekeeper. I had given up the search, and was convinced that the thing had fallen into the trash can or vacuum, and lost for ever. But no! Thanks and praise.

I give thanks that my friend J's exploratory surgery could have had v. scary consequences, but didn't.

[Votive] [Yipee]

Laus Deo! Cancer free - and on the 13th anniversary of my first diagnosis!

Deo gratias

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:

Deo gratias

Wonderful news, Pete. Praise God, indeed.

Good news, you old so-and-so, you. I will pass it on around the neighbourhood.

[edited to mask my lousy typing]

[ 13. June 2014, 03:32: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

quote:

Deo gratias

[Yipee]

Pete C [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

quote:

Deo gratias

[Smile] [Smile]

Fantastic news PeteC!
I'v been walking around on this lovely sunny day appriciating my new eyesight after my cataract operation yesterday. I'd forgotten how red red was. The experience was if not exactly unpainful very straightforward, so prayers thanks and praise for the staff at the hospital too.

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

quote:

Deo gratias

[Votive] Terrific - keep the inspiration coming!

[Yipee] for PeteC and Gussie! [Yipee]

Posted by QLib (# 43) on :

D (mentioned on prayer thread a few days ago) back with his friends and on top form last night. [Smile]

And Yay! for Pete and Gussie.

I was at Bluewater shopping centre this afternoon, when a woman suddenly rushed into the shop and asked if anyone had seen a child. Turned out her three year old daughter had gone missing while she was at the cashpoint. She was in a terrible state, understandably.

The security people swung into action, with shops radioing each other, and other shoppers joined in looking for her. After about ten minutes, she was found in a nearby shop. Must have been the longest ten minutes of her poor mother's life!

Thank You, Lord, for her safe return.

My 3G internet dongle service has been restored! Presumably they serviced the local tower yesterday.

Proof, were it needed, that complaining works - how do the company know there is a fault unless the punters tell them?

After deciding I had got myself into too much of a state to put in a job application today, I have discovered another vacancy at the same organisation, which is an even better match for my skills and experience, which gives me 10 days to fill in the form, and where I know the guy the post is working for.

I had not expected such speedy vindication that my decision this morning was the right one. It really does feel as if somebody is looking out for me. [Yipee]

Today I give thanks for the 90th birthday of The Dowager Mrs S, my mother. She plans to mark the actual day with a round of golf (only 9 holes, sadly) and cake at the club with some friends. Further festivities will follow over the next fortnight!

She still lives on her own, in our family home, though I am immensely grateful to her neighbours R & J who keep an eye out for her. She was widowed about 35 years ago, but although she was completely knocked for six she has rebuilt a life for herself.

I am very proud of her and very grateful for all she has done for me and my family.
[Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder]
90 not out! Well done the Dowager!

Mrs. S, giving wholehearted thanks [Overused]

Happy birthday, Dowager Mrs. S.! [Yipee]

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

Yay! [Yipee] today was the shortest day, (well it may actually be tomorrow - who cares, it's happening) [Yipee] which means the days (at this end of the world) will start getting longer.

I know this means the weather will get colder, but at least it will be light.

Huia - dancing the happy dance

I was asked to write out my testimony by the school teacher who is to blame for me being a Christian. Having done so, I am feeling quite overwhelmed with blessings.

We had a great holiday in Canadia.
We all stayed well and we saw friends and family. We love beautiful BC and hope to return.

Cancer doesn't always win! Our churchwarden has been given the all-clear [Yipee]

Posted by Ye Olde Motherboarde (# 54) on :

Thanks for the little bit of rain that came this evening, LORD, it helped the fire problems all over the state.

And, LORD, could you please send more rain? This is supposed to be 'monsoon season'. Thank you.

Thank you all who prayed for us. My wife, Z, has signed a contract to teach English in the fall. She starts at the end of the month.

[Axe murder]

[Yipee]

Congratulations, Z, and good luck with the new job! [Smile]

It's the holidays, and we survived the year! [Big Grin]

More joy: I have been blessed in my life by the friendship of some very special people.

I'm especially thankful for M, a friend from my late teens. He understands. Thank you God. [Votive]

'Love came down and rescued me'.
[Axe murder]
That's all!

Mrs. S, singing to herself

It's been lovely and sunny in Dundee as I walked around and up lots of places out of the shops etc. thank you Lord for a lovely time ! [Axe murder]

Still loving my (paid) work! Such happy days..... [Smile]

Women Bishops finally allowed in the C of E.

PTL. Bout bloody time.

Hot damn! [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

The sewers are fixed, the smells are gone and the road is being re-sealed. Soon we will get our bus stop back and, if I'm feeling very daring, I may venture out on my bike again and pray that I am not one of the 3 cyclists who are hit by cars each week.

The smells have been there since November,(this time) so I feel like having a party.

Thanks to those who continued working in the hail and rain - and who will now go on to fix the sewers in another part of town. (the quakes upset the infrastructure that was already in the process of being renewed.)

This may seem like a weird thing to give thanks for, but having had a major disaster happen has made me more grateful for everyday things.

Huia

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
This may seem like a weird thing to give thanks for, but having had a major disaster happen has made me more grateful for everyday things.

Huia

Always a good thing, Huia! [Overused]

Mrs. S, doing #100happydays on fb for just that reason [Yipee]

Today I give thanks for the NHS, which saved my life 16 years ago today.

The NHS! [Overused]

My brother's worrisome blood test results are not as dangerous as feared.

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

This is a little thing, but after watching five minutes of "Request timed out" the server I rebooted remotely has come back up. It is in Barnsley and I'm working at home from Chesterfield whilst minding two poorly children, so you can imagine I really really really needed it to come back up...

If you have anxiety, you'll understand.

Small maybe, but not insignificant, KLB. When something stops doing what it's supposed to, it's always a cause for rejoicing when it starts doing it again.

Case in point: the water pressure in our house mysteriously decreased a few days ago and has now returned, for which I'm grateful; the last thing you need when it's pushing 30° is a shower that acts like a pipette.

Definite praise and thanks for my successfully completed hip replacement. The old hip joint, source of pain and mobility problems, has been removed, and a new ceramic one installed. Very, very grateful thanks. [Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder]

Posted by Japes (# 5358) on :

Very thankful that my bus pass photo-card was found and returned by a neighbour who recognised it as mine.

Quite amazingly grateful that - once we had the table stretched to its fullest extent and laid with mats, plates, cutlery, napkins etc etc - the top-of-the-range Mr. S realised that we would be 12 for supper tonight, not 10 as I had counted [Help] (OK, back to Plan A for a buffet!)

[Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

I knew my maths was bad, but that bad? [Eek!]

Mrs. S, thanking heaven that it's a curry night - not pork chops! [Killing me]

Neph got his first job!!,
[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Thanks that my husband's friend G is on the mend from a nasty bike accident.
Thanks for the life of another friend N. A few of us met this weekend at the place he died to celebrate his life and to catch up with each other (we all live in different places now).I felt connected with friends living and dead, in as Quaker's say, 'those things that are eternal'.

A small thing in the Grand Scheme of Things™, but the "pop-ups" that were plaguing the new computer (particularly badly on the Ship) seem to have buggered off.

[Yipee]

We have had lovely sun as we cam at New Wine, and also good singers and teachers and nice food. I have seen orange at night for the next day. I do hope it still is sunny and dry.

Posted by cattyish (# 7829) on :

I'm thankful.

Cattyish, cheering up.

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

Praise and Thanksgiving today for the exchange of handshakes and goodwill between European countries. [Votive]

Regarding new hip, extra special thanks and praise that my consultant said I could drive again and resume normal activities, only be careful putting on my socks. [Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder]

quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
Regarding new hip, extra special thanks and praise that my consultant said I could drive again and resume normal activities, only be careful putting on my socks. [Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder]

That's good news for you. When MIL had her first replacement operation, she just could not understand she was not to bend suddenly to pick up something dropped, even when we bought gadget for her to use.

Did you know you can get help with socks or tights etc? These people sell several types of this aid as I saw on another UK forum. You may have to do a bit of a search, this was the first result I found.

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

Surgery went better than even the surgeon expected, and the pain level is many notches lower than I was fearing! Thank you everyone for your prayers. I have a bit of recooping to do, but I have the whole week wide open, and so nowhere to go, and I have some nice loopy-loopy drugs should the pain get too intense. Everyone has taken really good care of me, especially Josephine. All praise and thanksgiving and glory and honor to God who brought us together, and thanks to St. Joseph for his prayers.

Posted by ChastMastr (# 716) on :

We have purchased a car!!! [Yipee]

Health to drive it, CM! [Smile]

Returned from my two week vacation to find all well with my cats and my turtle. (of course I had my daughter look in on them and replenish their food halfway through.)

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:

That's good news for you. When MIL had her first replacement operation, she just could not understand she was not to bend suddenly to pick up something dropped, even when we bought gadget for her to use.

Did you know you can get help with socks or tights etc? These people sell several types of this aid as I saw on another UK forum. You may have to do a bit of a search, this was the first result I found.

The local council gave my mother one of these for free when she came out of hospital after her hip op; they also gave her a couple of special chairs and were just way more helpful than I had anticipated.

Posted by Alban (# 9047) on :

Working on election day. Not only that, but the polling place I'm in is my church. Grateful for any work and money at the moment.

Little A, for whom I asked prayers a while ago is back at tuition today - he seems fine, says he feels fine. Littler A seems very pleased to have his big brother back.

Good to hear it, WW - may he have a full and speedy recovery. [Smile]

My family told me to come with them to walk around along the west and they took me in their car, and we had a lovely time and lovely trees and lovely colours of things they grow. And nice food also!
Thank you God for us having a great time! [Overused]

And I forgot to say we were in the "Kew" place where they are many many trees and other things.

Posted by The Kat in the Hat (# 2557) on :

I came off my bike last Monday.
Thanks for the man who helped me to the chemist; the assistant who gave me enough wound bandages to get me to work; a husband who hates me cycling, but still picked me up from work & drove me to the hospital & held my hand while my knee was stitched up.
The stitches came out yesterday, I cycled to & from work, I've still some fab bruises but Yay, I can bend my knee, so will be able to do Greenbelt!

The old car sold!! [Yipee]

I had a lovely time camping for a few days - people were really nice near me, and also I had often icecream several times a day! Thank you God. [Axe murder]

Posted by Meg the Red (# 11838) on :

Thanks be for the safe arrival of my new grand-nephew. Even though he came a early, he's healthy and well. And gosh-darned cute. [Axe murder]

Congratulations, Great-Auntie Meg! [Yipee]

Posted by tomb (# 174) on :

At dinner tonight, the Offspring and his wife, Squeeze, mentioned that the Ship prolly didn't know that they have reproduced. Their daughter was born August 9. The family are staying at Mrs. tomb's and my B&B Lodge for a few weeks so we can feed them and fuss over them, and stuff like that.

Daughter doesn't have a Shipname yet. I might suggest "Emesis."

Baby's getting baptized the same weekend the Offspring and Squeeze are solemnizing their marriage in Church in September.

A Good Time Will Be Had by All.

PM me on the Ship if you're local to Denver and want to attend the festivities, and I'll send you particulars. You can also contact me through Facebook if you've sussed out my alter-ego.

Awesome, congratulations, and OMG it's so good to see you on the Ship again! I just came back myself a few weeks ago.

[Axe murder]

Congratulations, Tomb (and welcome back)! [Smile]

Thanks be to God for old friends! And getting to visit with my niece and her little girls. And seeing two more nieces with family was serendipitous. And my visited niece received (finally) funds for assistance with her Aspergers and autistic daughters. Not to mention the bubbly, busy 5-years old. A new service dog and another empathic rescue dog, who has learnt a lot of service tricks over the last few months. She will undergo training to be a PTSD dog - she's already good at it!

That is good Pete. I think of Georgie-Porgy as a PTSD cat as she's definitely helped me through the quakes and their aftermath.

Posted by Og: Thread Killer (# 3200) on :

Today I am 50

So, today, I will drink coffee,

today, I will watch my cats sleep

today, I will read a newspaper

today, I will stand in a line waiting for a bus

today, I will smile

(well, also today I will go to the Ex, have chocolate chicken and watch TFC)

today, I will text my wife while she works

today, I will look up at sky to see some birds

today, I will live.

To all the people on here who have profoundly affected my faith, thank you for the role you have played so far.

[Votive] for the saints on here who have gone before

Micah 6:8

He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
and to walk humbly with your God.

Posted by Smudgie (# 2716) on :

I am so so grateful, Lord, for the bountiful gift received just when I needed it most.

[Axe murder] Happy Birthday Og!! [Yipee]

Many happy returns, Og! [Yipee]

Happy birthday!!

Praise be for wise advice and patient listening. [Yipee] and also [Overused]

The unpleasant situation I asked for prayer for, at a nearby church - well, it's on its way to being resolved! Hallelujah, and thank you Lord!

the Exceedingly Grateful Mrs. S [Overused]

Posted by ElaineC (# 12244) on :

Today Mr C and I give thanks for 40 years of marriage.
We were spoilt at Church this morning with presents and cards. We will be spending a few days in Venice and our daughters have bought us tickets to hear Vivaldi's Four Seasons while we are there.

Congratulations Mr & Mrs C! [Axe murder] [Yipee]

Congratulations Mr & Mrs C! We celebrated our 35th recently.

Posted by Doc Tor (# 9748) on :

I didn't really want to spend the day trying to get the upstairs shower working again. I didn't really want to have to drill out rusted screws. I didn't really want to have to make do with the best-fit part from the plumbers' merchant and hope that it would work. Neither did I want to have to scavenge a new screw from a box of electrical fittings and hope that it would fit the old tap onto the new valve.

However, that's how I spent my day. And now that I'm done, the upstairs shower now works again, and better than it did before. My work here is done. [Cool]

Welcome back Doc Tor! You've been away nearly three weeks. Has it taken that long to fix a shower?

Well, I went to the World Science Fiction Convention in London, then was a pre-festival steward at Greenbelt, then at Greenbelt, then at my parents, then finally home yesterday.

Something else for thanksgiving. Living in a tent, on my own, for five days. I could make a habit of it.

For Labor Day, and for those union people who worked and fought, and sometimes gave their lives, that human labor might be treated better than otherwise.

[Overused] [Votive]

Congratulations Elaine and Mr. C.! [Smile]

I've had several people of my family staying with me in my home, and it has been nice, and one has done much cleaning all in my places! [Overused] [Yipee]

And today one family fixed and got it back on, "Firefox", which stopped being one! thank you, God! [Overused]

Most of today was pain-free, for the first time in yonks. I woke up in disbelief when I felt my muscles stretch and no pain. [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

I'd been ringing my elderly mother every day for over a week - after 27 unanswered phone calls I sent her a postcard asking her to ring me on receipt. I'm delighted to say she rang me straightaway, and so no need to ask the neighbours to go round in the first instance.

It's not the first time I've had to send a postcard, and it probably won't be the last, but I always worry none the less.

My husband's friend G, who had a bike accident while they were on holiday, three months ago, went home from hospital today.

Visited father in law today. His garden is transformed! So relieved he now has a regular, reliable gardener, and he found him himself.
We could spend the visit talking and catching up with him (oh, and cleaning the loo) instead of battling weeds.

I did my tax! [Big Grin]

Giving thanks for a lovely GP.

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

A full year since the end of the cancer treatment, and down to six monthly social calls with the oncologist. Thank God for the gift of all those healing hands.

Posted by Nanny Ogg (# 1176) on :

Praise and thanksgiving for the craft and social group I go to each Wednesday, which has started a healing process with my depression, anxiety and panic attacks.

Praise and Thanks for the Magnificat at today's Evensong (Morley, First Service) - it was so beautiful I was nearly crying [Angel]

YaY internet and phone finally connected and running [Yipee] (probably also to the relief of all who are sick of my repetitive TICTH posts about Vodaphone in Hell).

No more dinosaur dial-up. (My nephew's term for it).

Huia

Posted by Brenda Clough (# 18061) on :

My daughter, a captain in the US Army, returned today to the US from a nine-month tour in Afghanistan. She is now on her way to her home in Tennessee.

[Overused] for all of these [Smile]

Cubby is starting to feel better!

Yay! [Yipee]

When Miss M, my granddaughter, was diagnosed with leukaemia at the very beginning of the year, she was really ill. She is making progress in treatment and is on a maintenance dose for most of the next two years. Hair is beginning to slowly return.

Tomorrow is her tenth birthday! I am very grateful. [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Posted by Heavenly Anarchist (# 13313) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
When Miss M, my granddaughter, was diagnosed with leukaemia at the very beginning of the year, she was really ill. She is making progress in treatment and is on a maintenance dose for most of the next two years. Hair is beginning to slowly return.

Tomorrow is her tenth birthday! I am very grateful. [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Great news [Smile]

Excellent news about Cubby and Miss M. [Yipee]

And my job contract's been extended until Christmas, and possibly beyond - further [Yipee]

Wonderful news Lothlorien. Happy birthday to Miss M.

Posted by Lucia (# 15201) on :

Very relieved and thankful that having left our laptop to dry out for four days after the gin and tonic spill on it I turned it on today and it seems to be working ok!

I have recently become a Great-Uncle for the 9th time! I have also become an Honorary Great Uncle to the daughter of a young woman from our village.

All doing well.

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I have recently become a Great-Uncle for the 9th time! I have also become an Honorary Great Uncle to the daughter of a young woman from our village.

All doing well.

And I am a great aunt!
My niece had a baby boy today after a protracted labour and a C section.
He is 8lbs 7oz which is big for our family. [Smile]

Congratulations Great-uncle Wodders and Great-auntie TB! [Yipee]

Thanks be to God for a wonderful weekend. Two nights in a hotel with husband and autistic son could have been a disaster but wasn't (son slept beautifully for a change) Sponsored walk for National Autistic Society could have resulted in meltdown from son due to so many small children but he really enjoyed it. And finally the afternoon at ThomasLand was just fantastic fun.
God really looks after us!

Posted by Pearl B4 Swine (# 11451) on :

My heart catherization last week showed no blockages, or problems, thanks be to God. But it wasn't the easy and no-discomfort thing I was told it would be. I think someone forgot to give me the knock-out drops!

My friend is out of jail!!

Another friend's infant nephew is off of chemo at last!!

[Overused] [Overused]

I'm now the same weight as I was when I was 25.

Slightly different shape, but hey... [Biased]

My three-years-and a half great-great niece visited me and it was such a pleasure to meet her and play with her. I got a blown kiss at the end of the evening from a very tired little girl.

My brother found a job! It's only two days a week but there's the chance of it leading to something more. Plus he has an interview at another place on Friday that might lead to something.

Posted by Wesley J (# 6075) on :

Thanks to Almighty God (or whoever that was [Paranoid] ) who inspired me to attend the evening service at an Anglican church again - this one's a bit over an hour away. (There's one closer, but they don't do evenings, and I just never get up in time on Sunday mornings!)

Good to have been back after a prolonged absence. I had moved house, and now they're even further away - but boy, it's still the same fabulous music, real organ and even two organ and violin pieces at the end, all played by professional musicians, with a quality and expertise you probably won't normally get in a congregation of that size. Pure bliss! (And the choir wasn't even on duty that night!) [Yipee]

Good sermon et al, too. Same faces, only a wee bit older. Some good things never change. Excellent stuff. [Big Grin]

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

I'm glad you liked it, WJ - I reckon Choral Evensong is one of the best reasons for being an Anglican!

[Smile]

Well said, Piglet - I agree entirely!

Posted by Wesley J (# 6075) on :

Piglet, I was thinking of you and your reports (amid much decanal grinning) when I wrote this! You are so totally right! [Smile]

Much relief, I found my passport!

[Yipee]

...but then it was probably me that covered it with a stack of papers!

A very long time ago (OK, May 2013) my then-bosses 22 year old son was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma. He had two courses of chemo and is now officially in remission and on three monthly checks. He had only started work two weeks before he was diagnosed but the firm kept his job open and he return to it last week.

We take good news where we can get it on the cancer front. Thanks everyone.

Posted by Brenda Clough (# 18061) on :

I am so un-media savvy, I do not know who Bronson Pinchot is. But he is the reader of my novel HOW LIKE A GOD, which is just out on Audible.com!
http://www.audible.com/pd?asin=B00OGKZIL6&source_code=AUDORWS1016149B8E

Unfortunately I probably will never have the courage to listen to him read it!

I know him. He's got a nice, rich voice. ( character actor mostly known for comedic roles-- but nice voice!)

Haven't read this in a while-- yay for all the yay! [Yipee]

It's so much easier to look back and see God's hand in your life than when you're in the thick of trouble.

Thank you God for looking after me so wondrously.

The hospice has better wifi than my parents' house. And no data limit, either. Who would have thought?

I did not forget to buy coffee!

Well, I could qualify that, and say, I forgot to buy coffee, but then my list reminded me at the till that I should go back and get some. This avoided later berating of self and is a great cause of joy!

Yay lists!!

I am so grateful to everyone who has supported me since I've been off sick from work. They say that when you're in trouble, you find out who your friends are, and that's is so true - those who've helped me in person and those I've never met, like the Shipmates on the Prayers of the Faithful thread. Thank You, Lord, for all these wonderful people. May I be as good a friend to them.

Cubby is home from the hospital!!

Posted by MrsBeaky (# 17663) on :

One of the Diocesan projects with which I am working is facing very severe financial challenges. Today we received two donations which we will keep our work with children with disabilities viable for the a while at least.
My Kenyan colleagues wept when they received the news.
So relieved and thankful
An answer to some heartfelt prayers

My computer is fixed and my family connected it as they are near it! I am pleased - thank you God to get it fixed! [Overused]

40th wedding anniversary today! We have been, and are, so greatly blessed. Thank you God for our families and friends who have supported us over all these years together, hard times and better times, sickness and health, etc etc.

[Overused] [Overused] [Overused]

The Intrepid Mrs. S, thanking God for Mr. S [Axe murder]

Yay! Ours will be in four years.

Congratulations, Mr. and Mrs. S! [Yipee]

Today I'm thankful that I found my keys, which I thought I'd locked in the office, but hadn't.

Posted by Erroneous Monk (# 10858) on :

Please join me in thanking God for his great gift, my brand new nephew, 5 hours old, no name yet.

Thank you, Jesus.

Congratulations, and welcome to Planet Earth, Erroneous Nephew (should that be Erroneous Novice?). [Yipee]

I got my visa extension - for which much thanks.

Feeling thankful for a very helpful discussion with a union rep this morning.

I had a problem in the computer about getting messages and I prayed and phone the one to fix it and it is fixed now. Thank you, God. [Overused]

Posted by spork (# 18260) on :

Thankyou Lord for the first time in a while I've had a full nights sleep, not being plagued by multiple 'mini-siezures'. Thankyou also for my Mother who has sat by my side many nights as I'm sure she will be called upon again.

Thankyou Lord for my handsome boyfriend A and his voice oh when he tells me he loves me or even sings to me* I just fall more in love with him.

*he has restricted vocal cords which means he sometimes cannot be understood by others and has to be in an environment he feels secure in (as you can imagine) to sing but to me oh [Tear]

[Overused] Spork [Axe murder]

New purple hearing aids [Yipee] and, what's more the price was less than quoted, thanks to a decrease just before the audiologist bought them [Yipee]

Also many thanks to the ethical audiologist [Angel]

Sounds are not only louder, but far crisper. Somehow unexpectedly loud noises are dampened down too - magic!

Huia

Huia

Posted by Sarasa (# 12271) on :

Hurrah for your hearing aids Huia -as a wearer I know the difference good ones make.

Some time ago I asked for prayer for a Situation in a Church Near Us. Hallelujah, it has been resolved - not without a great deal of pain and expense - but resolved none the less, and we all breathe again.

Thank you all so much for your prayers.

Mrs. S, mopping her brow

Posted by Uncle Pete (# 10422) on :

I met one of my first cousins yesterday for the first time in the memory of either of us. It was a very interesting experience. I am sad she had such an upbringing but happy to tell her that the ogres she was taught to fear when she was a child were perfectly ordinary and nice people.

Mr Bee safely delivered to hospital in Oxford and the op has gone well.
Grateful to see a rainbow as I left the hospital.
Prayers for his recovery and my travelling appreciated.

Good news for you all, Tree Bee.
[Votive]

Posted by Dormouse (# 5954) on :

Thanksgiving for the safe delivery of the Dormouse great niece, named Lydia Florence.

Posted by Uncle Pete (# 10422) on :

Thanks be to God, my nephew has checked in.

Glad to hear it, Uncle P. Prayers continuing.

[Votive]

Philae has landed, DG. [Yipee]

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

Happy for you, Doc Tor.

A fantastic achievement - especially welcome after the recent accidents.

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
Philae has landed, DG. [Yipee]

I remarked to my husband that it was nice to see happy scientists and he said he saw one every time he looked in the mirror. Aw, bless.

Miss S-as-was has returned Mr. S's car, which she has had on loan for 10 weeks while hers was being made. (This means that the grumpiness about my car and my driving will now cease [Yipee] )

Mrs. S - for this relief much thanks!
[Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder]

Posted by ExclamationMark (# 14715) on :

Finally, after 5 months of investigations, together with the hospital messing up appointments and tests, I am told I do not have bladder cancer and my kidneys are fine.

Not out of the woods but the trees are thinning.

Amen! [Votive]

Excellent news, EM! [Yipee]

Posted by Jack the Lass (# 3415) on :

Today is my Christian birthday. Another year, still here [Smile]

My son and his two little women from school came to me today and he washed and cleaned a floor of my place I cook! And also everything in it too! So I did not have to do it today! [Overused]

The Jumbo FUN Concert in church tonight, in aid of two African charities we support, went really well. I'm so relieved, I can think about Christmas now.
[Overused]
Mrs. S, still humming 'Nellie the Elephant'

Posted by cattyish (# 7829) on :

My little brother, who isn't the easiest person due to some health issues, had a chat on the 'phone with his good friend. This is a major breakthrough in getting back in contact. I am massively thankful for his faithful and lovely friend and said friend's kindness to my Dad who was feeling pretty worried about wee bro 2.

Cattyish, good things to all faithful friends.

I'm thankful that my friend J. has come through her (first) radiotherapy with not too many ill-effects, and she was back singing in the choir today.

[Votive] that it zaps that which needs to be zapped.

For a wonderful Thankgiving Day. [Axe murder]

Posted by churchgeek (# 5557) on :

I would like to give thanks for wonderful friends who are, in $25-$100 increments, funding my trip to the UK to present at a conference in January. Someone even donated her miles to buy my plane ticket! Since I've been unemployed for a while, I would absolutely not be able to make this trip without their help.

It's a big deal for me - my first real conference presentation (I did a small panel and another small society meeting before), and a CV line item. And my first time in England! Plus it's been a really bad year-or-so, and this is definitely a bright spot. I'd been feeling a bit disconnected from my studies (especially being on the other side of the US from my school now, and being on leave because I can't afford tuition), so this is a much-needed way to reconnect with my academic work.

Other friends who can't contribute money are also offering words of support, prayers, and tips/ideas, and that is really meaningful as well. I would like to give thanks for all these friends.

That's great news Churchgeek, and it gives you a new horizon. Britain in January can be a bit bleak weather-wise, but I hope and pray that you will receive a warm welcome all around.

Today it was beautiful blue sky and I walked around all the rivers and trees and also took bread to feed the birds there - there were many big black ones who had plenty bread to eat. Thank you Lord for such a lovely day and beautiful !

I'm feeling thankful that my work contract (and those of my colleagues) has been extended again - I love my job, and wish it could be permanent, but it's dependent on research grants, so I just have to pray that they'll keep coming.

[Smile]

Posted by churchgeek (# 5557) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
Britain in January can be a bit bleak weather-wise

No worries - I live in Detroit! From what I hear, it should be similar weather to what I'm used to - maybe a tiny bit warmer, in fact, depending on if our temperatures are normal at the time.

I'm grateful that I am doing better this term at keeping up with grading papers than in the past. [Overused]

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

I am thankful that the pre-Christmas workload has been considerably less this year, and that some help has been supplied.

Thanks that the paper I went to collect in the state capital was ready and thanks for the lovely lady in The Secretariat who coped with my fussing and delivered it.

Despite, well, lots of stuff (see prayer thread), I must say--as, interestingly, a loved one who is practically an atheist pointed out today--that the way the timing has worked for our crises has, thank God, been as good as it possibly could be. Expensive car problems, again, yes--but on the day the paycheck has been deposited and the friend is there to help out. And on the last day of finals, but when I can get a ride from a fellow educator to make it to class, and no school for a month now. And so on. Sometimes I feel like God is letting us go through these things in just the time that allows us to see bits of light shining around the corner, rather than having all of our needs met immediately and visibly. [Overused]

Oh, and awesome news from my Facebook info: Ollie (friend's nephew, an infant) is done with chemotherapy and everyone seems pleased (I know little of how this works), and Marmalade the cat's own cancer is in remission. [Yipee]

Thank You Lord for getting me through 10 days of real sickness (8nights in hospital). Who would have thought pancreatitis could be such a bugger?
Thank You also for the wonderful hospital chaplains who supported me so well and also listened when I said that the lady next to me, although an atheist, needed someone to pray for her. She ended up really looking forward to her visit from the 'God person'.
Thank You for hospital staff and particularly Lord, Thank You for modern medicine!

Thank you all for your prayers for me and my friends. We made it to the funeral safely and in time, and we made it back. Also they were very well-behaved, and survived 5 hours or so of my driving without so much as a sharp intake of breath!

J's cremation service went well, as these things go, and B was so glad to see us, and so appreciative, that it made it all worthwhile.
[Angel]
Thank you Lord!

Mrs. S, much relieved

I'm posting this in thanksgiving that D's brother-in-law, who's been battling cancer, is now officially in remission.

I think I'll keep mentioning him in my prayers though. [Smile]

I'm back again - I seem to have lots to be thankful for at the moment. This time it's that a friend who had been unemployed and broke for about 10 years, has found a job that suits him, sorted out his finances and is feeling much happier.

I am very grateful for our church congregation and all the support and encouragement they give MrP and myself.

My sis married her boyfriend of almost 20 years today.

Mazeltov, Alvissimo!

During Midnight Mass I was thinking how immensely grateful I am to all the people here who have made it so easy for this strange, pale-coloured foreigner to fit in so well in this wonderful community - particularly Himself, Herself, their families and also M & V and their families.

Gratitude also for the amazing communal harmony here - before Mass I was looking at the Crib that had been built in the car park and one of the local Christian lads was there with half a dozen Hindu lads from the village who had come along as well - I am not sure if they stayed for the Mass as well but it was good just to see them there.

Posted by The5thMary (# 12953) on :

It may seem silly to some but it's a BIG deal in our apartment: The new bathroom fan that was installed last week! The fan is wired to the light, so we had been taking showers and baths and doing our...ahem..."business" in completely darkness. Sometimes a shower in the dark can be relaxing but not when you slip in the tub or bang your leg on the faucet. We have been without the fan since last August.

Thank you, God, that we were finally able to get the money to get the old rusted, dusty, dirty fan replaced!

Thanks and praise to God that we spent a peaceful week celebrating Christmas with effectively all my relatives (Mr. S has none that are specific to him). We followed my rule for Christmas (Keep changing the personnel!) and it worked well; now everyone is safely at home again and I think we all had a good time [Yipee]

The Grateful Mrs. S [Overused]

Oh, and three of the four kids/kids-in-law came to church willingly at various times

I had a lovely time last week at Exeter, organized by "Saga" where they had a hotel place to live in and give us lovely food and fun to play and win and have some people from their local church who sang to us for ages.
And we also visited by a big bus to go a long way to visit and walk there and visit a church that was ancient and also somewhere there to have food at lunchtime.
And also at Christmas I went to a church that took about a while to walk to it. It was lovely in that church both at night and the next morning. [Overused]

Posted by Sarasa (# 12271) on :

We had a lovely time seeing all the relatives including quite far flung ones. Christmas day when my husband and all his siblings were together for the first time in ages was special, then today I met up with a neice I haven't seen for about eight years. So praise and thanksgiving for families.

I'm thankful that:
(a) the carol service went really well; and
(b) I shan't have to sing Silent Night again for another year. [Devil]

My phone has been ringing once, then dumping the call. This started at the beginning of the school holidays, so I thought it was kids playing games.
Having a pone that rings and then cuts out is really stressful, especially if you have no way of knowing who is trying to get hold of you.

It has now been fixed by Chorus. YaY [Yipee]

Huia

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
... It has now been fixed by Chorus. YaY [Yipee]

I think the correct response to that is "Hallelujah" ... [Big Grin]

Posted by Cara (# 16966) on :

I give thanks that the thing spotted in my breast during a mammogram turned out, as was immediately obvious at the moment of the biopsy, to be just a collection of cysts. Not cancer.
My own relief made my heart go out to the people who get the opposite news….

Also give thanks for a wonderful if chaotic Christmas with the enormous family I am lucky enough to be part of.

As 2014 draws to a close this thread closes, too, but there is a bright new thread ready and waiting for us to give thanks in 2015.

WW - AS Host

© Ship of Fools 2016