Thread: From Sea to Sea to Sea - the Canada thread Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=028009

Posted by Horseman Bree (# 5290) on :

now that the Arctic is becoming navigable. A nice bright shiny new thread for the residents of Canuckistan to play in.

Lovely clean bright snow out my window, and only -20 C! No wind to speak of, so it is a nice day.

[Thread title edited for clarity - WW]

[ 01. January 2014, 06:24: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

Posted by lily pad (# 11456) on :

Clear and cold here too. Moving van comes in the morning so madly packing here. Only need about another three or four days and I'll be ready for them! Am in the process of resolving (again) to never move again.

Posted by Leaf (# 14169) on :

It's warmed up to -29C here. Every single roadway is awful: like luge runs made with ribbed ice, not for your pleasure. Residential streets, highways, back lanes, everything is covered with this awful bumpy ice. Spring, come soon! But not with flooding, please!

Posted by Meg the Red (# 11838) on :

I wish it we would stay in one temperature range for a while. We drove to Christmas dinner through rain showers; two days later we woke up to 4C, then dropped over 20 degrees by nightfall. There's a 14 degree difference forecast between tomorrow's high and Thursday's. I never know what to wear outside, but I'm thinking a parka/flip-flop ensemble should cover all the bases. [Help]

Posted by Lothiriel (# 15561) on :

Windchill of -20 --my son has just gone out to play shinny, so he'll be a popsicle coming home. A good night to snuggle in front of the fire or the TV and plan tomorrow's turkey pot pie. [Smile] Probably do some laundry too. A nice introverted New Year's Eve.

Posted by PeteC (# 10422) on :

It was quite chilly here last night - When we got back from Midnight Mass I had to get dressed for bed! The temperature was down to 20C! [Eek!]

Bonne année à tous et toutes! / Happy New Year to all!

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

Pete dear, my heart bleeds. [Big Grin] It was a nice, cold, clear sort of day here (about -7°), although it's due to drop a bit tomorrow, then more snow at the weekend and going up to +6° on Tuesday.

I don't understand Canadian weather.

Happy new year everyone! [Smile]

Canadian weather, as someone once said in quite another context, is not something to understand but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Or something.

Posted by Evangeline (# 7002) on :

Happy New Year Canadians,

Talking of your weather, what is the weather like in Vancouver in December (long range travel considerations)? I know you'l probably laugh and say it doesn't get cold in Vancouver but remember I'm an antipodean and feel positively frozen if the weather falls below 15 degrees C.

Thanks for any illumination of the mysteries [Smile]

Since snow does fall in Vancouver, one can expect the temperature to be below freezing occasionally. BUT since it also doth rain, the temp. will be above freezing on other occasions. This means that you can "enjoy" cold dampness for significant amounts of time, along with slush around your feet.

You might enjoy places that have actual snow.

Posted by John Holding (# 158) on :

It's probably safe to assume that the temperature in Vancouver in December will usually be less than 15C. Please note "probably", "assume", "usually".

With the same caveats, it will probably get down to -5C at least from time to time.

It is certain that there will be a great deal of water falling from the sky, which will be grey and cloudy at least 25 of the 31 days of the month. There is no way of telling whether the said water will be snow, ice pellets, rain, or just a constant low-level fog. It can be all four on the same day, if you're lucky.

The weather will likely be drier and brighter, and somewhat colder, just across the river in North Vancouver.

Wonder why I vowed 50 years ago never to move to Vancouver? I was raised in Winnipeg, and even at its worst (I remember 99 consecutive days below zero F) it's a dry cold, as they say, which is so much easier to cope with. Here is Ottawa we get both wet cold and dry cold (on different days), and at -20C, it really does make a difference. Gives one faith in the old wives (why not husbands?) who tell tales.

John (safely indoors)

Posted by Evangeline (# 7002) on :

Thanks John & HB, tourism Vancouver wants to offer you hush money [Big Grin]

Looks like Canada might have to wait for summery months. Cheers.

Posted by Oscar the Grouch (# 1916) on :

OK - time to come clean.

I'm moving to Vancouver Island in a few weeks' time (from the UK).

Looking forward to this immensely (although slightly overwhelmed at all that needs to be done before then).

At the moment, I am especially enjoying contradicting people who say to me "You're moving to Canada? You've going to have get used to all those severe winters, then, aren't you?"

Ummm..... Nope - not on Vancouver Island! According to my weather app, the temperature there is presently a terrifying +6C...

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
OK - time to come clean.

I'm moving to Vancouver Island in a few weeks' time (from the UK).

Splendid. Lovely place. The landscape round Victoria bears a startling resemblance to Perthshire, I often think. I'll be there again in April for a wedding, so I trust the climate stays temperate.

Posted by Lothiriel (# 15561) on :

quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:

Wonder why I vowed 50 years ago never to move to Vancouver? I was raised in Winnipeg, and even at its worst (I remember 99 consecutive days below zero F) it's a dry cold, as they say, which is so much easier to cope with. Here is Ottawa we get both wet cold and dry cold (on different days), and at -20C, it really does make a difference. Gives one faith in the old wives (why not husbands?) who tell tales.

I've been thinking for a while that some meteorologist should invent a "raw factor", along the lines of the humidex, to account for the way that wet cold is downright miserable. A day like today -- a dry -22C with a bit of windchill to -32C (not much wind, really), and a clear sky -- is infinitely preferable to a damp, breezy -5C. That dampness gets into your bones no matter how you're dressed in a way dry cold never does if you're dressed properly.

seconded

Posted by Sober Preacher's Kid (# 12699) on :

I had to jump-start a family member's car, twice, due to the cold. Luckily I have a portable jump-starter battery pack I keep in my trunk; such a handy device. I rescued a gentleman last week whose car wouldn't start at the gas station with it. Solved that problem really quickly, the owner of the station loved me for it.

Second, in a Canadian Moment, No Frills here in Really English Ontario now sells genuine St. Hubert's Chicken Pot Pies. I had one, it was delicious. But what a discovery!

The promised blizzard is blizzarding merrily as I type, and doesn't look as if it's thinking about stopping any time soon.

Who says that -7° is too cold for snow? [Frown]

We had that blizzard yesterday and it was -23. It is -22 right now but going up to -14 so I may wait an hour or two before going out to shovel. Supposed to be +10 on Monday with rain and wind. Not quite sure if I should pay to have my roof shovelled off right now or if Monday will take care of it. It's a crazy start to 2014!

Posted by Og: Thread Killer (# 3200) on :

So the latest Snowmegeddon is only supposed to dump between 10 and 30 cm on various parts of Ontario.

The media does seem to like to talk about the weather.

Nice day today....going to get in a bit of walking.

Gosh, Piglet must be one of the ones without power. Newfoundland is sure having a time! Clear here today and supposed to be nice and warm tomorrow, you know, before the flash freeze tomorrow night. Oh Canada, I believe in climate change but global warming is a stretch.

Huge rainfall and +7 C yesterday - cleaned most of the snow off the roof and left the vehicles shiny

But now it is -7 C and clear, so lots of ice.

Nearly 3000 customers lost electricity yesterday as all the birch trees that had bent over under the previous snow/ice load snapped back upright when cleaned off!

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

-25°C here this morning. That's cold for this area. Confounded car didn't start, even with its brand new battery - a pox on Canadian Tire and their batteries. Finally got a boost and drove into the almost deserted town. No future for a brass monkey in this place.

Having grown up along the Grand, (well back up amidst the sandy hills of eastern Kitchener) I'm vaguely surprised that you find -25 cold.

quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
Piglet must be one of the ones without power ...

I was indeed; we had none from 9 a.m. on Saturday until 1 a.m. on Sunday, and again for about 4 hours on Sunday evening, when the outside temperature was about -12°, which wasn't handy for people like us whose only heat source is electricity. It's amazing how much warmth you can make in a small room with 12 candles ... [Help]

The up-side of all this power-saving malarkey was that the university where I work was closed on Monday and Tuesday, giving a nice extension to the Christmas holidays. Back to the grind tomorrow.

Posted by Sandemaniac (# 12829) on :

For no particularly good reason, I saw this and thought of our Canadian brethren.

AG

Poor moose.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
For no particularly good reason, I saw this and thought of our Canadian brethren.

I remember once on The Muppet Show, the Swedish Chef made chocolate mousse by slathering chocolate on a (muppet) moose.

Moo

Posted by no prophet (# 15560) on :

I guess it is past now, but what the heck is a "polar vortex"? It would a great name for an indy band. Or as someone suggested, a rodent, sort of like a marmot I think.

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
I remember once on The Muppet Show, the Swedish Chef made chocolate mousse by slathering chocolate on a (muppet) moose.

Thus!

AG

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
I guess it is past now, but what the heck is a "polar vortex"?

Here is an explanation.

Moo

quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
Having grown up along the Grand, (well back up amidst the sandy hills of eastern Kitchener) I'm vaguely surprised that you find -25 cold.

But that's north of the 401 - different climate, different culture - another world from downstream of the Grand River Brewing Company in Galt.

And now, on to the January Thaw! Shall spend a large part of the day shovelling out the downspouts and window wells before the rain and wind of tomorrow. Never a dull moment east of the 401.

And tomorrow, we shall all merrily skate down the main drag of town!

Ah, but not here. We are to have above 0 degrees temperatures until Thursday. A true January thaw!

Us too, Lilypad - they're offering us +7° tomorrow with quite a lot of rain, and low single-digits for most of the rest of the week.

My Beloved has just brought me a Timmy's™ - what a saint! [Axe murder]

No ice here, so no thaw. But I'd sell my firstborn for a Timmy's. Milk coffee is good here though.

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

Pete, I think you'll find that selling children into slavery is no longer seen as an acceptable practice even in the Colonies.

... and as far as I know, they're not interchangeable with Timcards™. [Big Grin]

Well all that rain certainly cleared some of the snow* - we've got a Visible Sidewalk again!

[Yipee]

* Not all of it - we've still got some humungous piles of snirt, but it's a start.

edited for spleling

[ 13. January 2014, 02:28: Message edited by: piglet ]

Spending the nights enjoying the reassuring sound of the sump pump coming on every 10-15 minutes. Woke up this morning and became instantly alert and in a few minutes, ahhh, there it goes, the sump pump is working.

quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
quote:

But that's north of the 401 - different climate, different culture - another world from downstream of the Grand River Brewing Company in Galt.
WARNING - Long Post about the Particular Canadiana I Grew Up In

Sometimes people have questioned why I occasionally just want to get out and see the top of a hill, by myself, just to look at what is going on and observe.

I think the link to that desire to look over the next hill and see comes from where I grew up.

We were a different culture from the rest of Kitchener. Eastsiders, as I once was called by an fellow University student wondering what my background was - code for being insular, I was told.

Everybody I grew up with was 3rd generation residents. Big leafy maples and crab apples and birch trees and willows beside cracked sidewalks edged by non-electric edgers and two story homes with cedar bushes and milk boxes and wooden slat shutters that never closed and one car in the driveway that always was having to be cleaned from either grease or ants or grass in the cracks.

None of those flashy newcomers in Forest Heights who worked in insurance, although a daughter getting a job there would always be a good thing, and who lived in homes with newer trees, strived to have two cars, all wore white shirts and ties and used the word neighbourhood and house values to ward off pesky things like clotheslines and road hockey and industrial smells.

No, we didn't want to sanitize where we lived. Clotheslines were out everybody's back yard. Didn't mind the smells of Schneiders and the other couple of meat packing plants, the Weston bakery, chocolate from the Smiles and Chuckles plant and the occasional whiff of rye and beer all the way down from Seagrams and Labatt's. The smell of grease from the cars being worked on by the older boys or on the clothes of the men coming home from the factories at 3:30 wasn't a reminder of where we lived....it was just where we were. It was like the smell of jam in June or of the sugar in the air from the CEO fall fair in the week before school...it all just was.

We were a small town within a small city in what we considered the best part of the world. Industrial foreman and small business owners most of our fathers. Stay at home Mom's who worked during the day to help out but were home by 4 to take care of the kids. Not till later did I realise how insulated we were from the rest of the city by our location in the arm of the Expressway south of Bridgeport and the Grand at Freeport and the industrial areas of Courtland Ave. Road hockey, baseball in parks, Parks and Rec summer camps, snowball fights, tobogganing down any hill possible, skating at the arena, swimming trips to Cameron Heights, minor hockey or soccer.

But what I remember most of all was just the freedom to ride my bike anywhere, without fear. To take off to friends, to parks, to games...as long as I was home for lunch and supper and bed time. Yes, I was a guy, and it was easy. But, that freedom to ride up to the top of the hill near Chicopee and look back on the mile or two of bike path you'd just traversed to get there and wonder who that was back there...did you really pass that old man on your way in your haste to get somewhere....that freedom was my birthright in that small town. It was what I treasured most. The smell of the grass, the wind, the sunshine and the freedom to just be and look.

Not till even later did I realise how insulated we were from the realities of most people in this world. Not till even later then that did I realise some of those realities were happening in that small town too, hidden from view.

Like all our towns where we grew up, that place, that East Side, that is gone now. Sure, the maple trees are there, and the Expressway and the Aud and the parks and the schools and people and families ....but its gone...in the flash of how fast it can take you to drive from Fairview Park Mall up to Northfield Drive...and in the time it takes to type a tweet.

Kids don't bike like that, I don't go out like that, and people don't work like that and none of us live like that. And society is, thankfully, not like that anymore..so male oriented. And I don't long for those days. I was privileged, white, male, able bodied, housed, fed and loved without fear by caring parents. Many were not. And my freedoms were unusual.

Where others fled places like that, I didn't as much leave that place as it all changed with the recessions of the 80's and the hollowing out of the industrial base all those men worked in. Budd Auto, Lear Seigler, Schneiders, Grebs, Kaufmanns...all gone now. There wasn't a there to fit into once the 90's hit. The smells were gone. The parents got old. The daughters moved away and us little boys....we couldn't ride our bikes anymore everywhere we wanted and whenever we wanted because we had to go do something now.

People talk about you not being able to go home. We never thought of that. Home to us was always where we were, as a family. And it remains...home is where we are now.

And that when that I grew up in....that time when I had the freedom to just go out and look at the world. That when has shaped me.

And Its why I go out every once in awhile, up to the top of a hill, and look back at where I came from and wonder about the people I passed on the way up.

We've had a couple of serious rainfalls (25-30 mm. each) and enough warm weather to get rid of most of the snow in open land.

And, troublingly, I've seen some of the buds on trees swelling.

No significant frost forecast until Sunday

And all of this after three weeks of snow and more snow!

Same here, HB - the council finally got round to clearing some of the snow from our road the other night (after God had done a good bit of it for them), and we were observing how wide it looks without it.

The temperature hit 10°C this afternoon! Double figures in January! [Yipee]

I note that prior to the PM's expedition to the Middle East, government representatives couldn't stop talking about Canada's important position in the area.

And I note that, after a brief trawl through some UK media sites, not a one has even noticed that the PM is visiting Israel (with brief side trips to Jordan and the territories), even his criticisms of most European countries for a politer form of anti-semitism because they don't ask "how high" when Benjamin Netanyahu says "Jump".

That's how important we've become -- our allies don't even notice when we criticize them.

John

Posted by Augustine the Aleut (# 1472) on :

There is reference in today's NY Times. There was, for fans of this topic, an interesting dissonance between cabinet member Chris Alexander's comments on the settlements and Conservative comments on them. I fear that the PM's embrace of one Israeli faction has crippled our ability to do anything useful for Israel in the peace process. But that's me.

-31°C tonight, with wind chill. I present shipmates with a brilliant haiku on this situation:
Thirty one below
Condolence and warmth pour forth,
My furnace brings joy

[Snore]

Any reply of mine, John, would require that this tangent to Purg.

Though the gymnastics the Official Opposition does on Israel are quite amazing to see.

Marmite banned in Canada!!

You'd think those poor short-staffed scientists at the CFIA would spend more time ensuring that safe meat is available in Canada and that mad-cow disease doesn't decimate herds. But Nooooooo.....

Most importantly, they are changing the colouring in Irn-Bru to comply with Canadian regulations. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
Marmite banned in Canada!! ...

I don't mind for myself (I think Marmite comes straight from Hell) but D. will not be pleased.

I can't remember the last time I drank Irn-Bru (I could take it or leave it), but I have it on good authority that it's an excellent hangover cure. [Big Grin]

eta: maybe it's the questionable additive that does the trick ... [Paranoid]

[ 26. January 2014, 02:24: Message edited by: piglet ]

From reports I've read, this isn't about health -- they've admitted there's nothing dangerous about these products. It's just that, for example, Marmite includes ingredients that aren't on the approved list.

I wish I could blame this too on the current government, but it smacks too much of a middle-rank bureaucrat in a notorious agency trying to make his/her name.

John

From this article, it sounds more like a news agency needed something to talk about.

Apparently there are formulations that are acceptable in Canada. Perhaps they simply shipped from the wrong warehouse or pallet?

Getting back to the important subject: 50 cm. of snow today, nice and dry for once, so it is being redistributed by the 70 km/h wind gusts. But, no ice/freezing rain, so we should have power.

plus a storm surge on the Northumberland Strait, since the winds are from the north.

Proper winter! No point fussing about actually going anywhere.

So far today, the plow has gone by and two other vehicles passed early this morning. Not a single vehicle in the last two hours. Still snowing heavily and blowing wildly. A little while ago, there was a nine vehicle crash on the Confederation Bridge - in the toll area. Dog has successfully done her business in record time. Will go out to play as soon as the Vinyl Cafe is over.

It was our turn for freezing rain today: it started in the morning and when we came out of church at lunchtime the car was encased in a veneer of ice. It's eased off now, but it's blowing a gale, and I can feel the house shaking, even though we're in the middle of a terrace.

No power cuts so far, although there was an ominous flicker during the first lesson at Evensong ... [Eek!]

Sorry for the double-post, but rim-rolling has commenced!* [Yipee]

So has gagnezing bugger-all. [Waterworks]

* Is it my imagination, or is it really early this year? I mean, Lent doesn't start for another two weeks.

Got my first RUTRTW today -- no love for me either.

John

Off into the hills tomorrow to get my yearly supply of freshly picked tea (so much better than the ancient floorsweepings known at the tea that is such a pity)

Posted by Japes (# 5358) on :

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Sorry for the double-post, but rim-rolling has commenced!* [Yipee]

So has gagnezing bugger-all. [Waterworks]

* Is it my imagination, or is it really early this year? I mean, Lent doesn't start for another two weeks.

Easter's on the late side..

It usually coincides with Lent, so that people who would otherwise give up Timmy's™ don't, but I suspect they haven't got a liturgical calendar ... [Big Grin]

Just rolled another please play again. [Frown]

Family is 0-3 so far.

Og child is doing one a day...she likes the white hot chocolate.

D. gagnezed un café today but I'm still at 0/4, even though there's two rims on each cup (a fact that had completely escaped me until one of my colleagues pointed it out - I thought they'd just changed the arrow colour from yellow to blue).

[brick wall]

quote:
It usually coincides with Lent, so that people who would otherwise give up Timmy's™ don't, but I suspect they haven't got a liturgical calendar ... [Big Grin]

Just rolled another please play again. [Frown]

Some of us would view Tim's coffee as a penance prescribed by one's confessor after hearing of a particularly loathsome sin. In any case I reaped a free cappuccino on Friday as the barista was very impressed with my plum ascot speckled with little white rabbits.

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
... the barista was very impressed with my plum ascot speckled with little white rabbits.

I was imagining that your coffee establishment must be serving some very interesting substances, until I looked up "plum ascot".

Google is my friend. [Big Grin]

Only had one Tim's this week, and I'm 0 for 1.

But we have a very nice new coffee shop a block away from me, so I don't feel the need to chew up cardboard rims unless I'm on an errand in town.

At least the Tim's I go to is a very friendly place unlike certain others

It was the most perfect Winter Olympics ever for Canada. Gold in the four sports this country cares about: men's, women's curling, men's hockey and women's hockey. [Big Grin]

Especially when one could see how beautifully hockey could be played without the influence of Don Cherry and his fans.

quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
Especially when one could see how beautifully hockey could be played without the influence of Don Cherry and his fans.

It was a remarkable set of games. International hockey played with a precision and skill level we may never see again.

I said to the family today that this might be the best Canadian mens team ever. Yes, better then the 87 Canada Cup team.

I hope they get to play again in 4 years but the NHL is rumbling and the IOC doesn't have Russian oil money to use to bribe them the next time.

As for the women's final, I turned it off after the 2nd US goal....and turned it back on when somebody else in the office said they had gotten 1 back.

If there is one team we REALLY care for, its the Women's NT.

[ 23. February 2014, 21:47: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

As a CFA* I know the square-root of diddly-squat about hockey, but I was looking in while getting ready for church, and saw Mr. Crosby's goal. The final whistle blew just before we went to process in.

There were some interesting pieces of improvisation on the organ during the service ... [Big Grin]

* Comes From Away

eta: Why does O Canada give me a bigger lump in the throat than God Save the Queen?

[Confused]

[ 24. February 2014, 03:14: Message edited by: piglet ]

Maybe because it gives a role to all the people rather than to a nice lady who happens to believe in God.

Also GStQ is just a rather morose German drinking tune, suitable for something like a funeral. Not that OC is particularly inspiring, of course, but who could take something totally triumphal at 20-below-with-a-wind-chill?

On the day of the women's game, I was in Montréal down by la Visitation (in a neighbourhood not yet gentrified, which in recent years elected a Trotskyite city councillor) and found myself hearing O Canada sung through the windows of a bar and shouts of les filles frappent! (tr: the girls hit!) and voyons les dames! (rough tr: look at the ladies!).

If you had told me ten years ago that O Canada would be sung in that neighbourhood, I would have assumed that you were on very bad drugs.

Someone told me that the men played a game as well, but I haven't had that verified.

quote:
... a neighbourhood not yet gentrified ...

What a wonderful expression - we live in one of those! [Big Grin]

As to GStQ and OC, don't get me wrong: on the day when the British athletes won six gold medals at the London Olympics, I had tears streaming down my face, and I'm getting a throat-lump just typing this. [Hot and Hormonal]

I think OC took me by surprise: I switched on the TV the other day and happened on a medal ceremony (I hadn't seen the event, and can't even remember what it was) and found myself reaching for the paper-hankies.

patriotic piglet

[ 25. February 2014, 02:42: Message edited by: piglet ]

Posted by HenryT (# 3722) on :

Dropped in to boast: 1 for 1 J'ai gagnzed un café on the first Tim's coffee I have had in weeks.

I finally broke my duck yesterday by gagnezing un beignet. [Yipee]

I gave the rim to D., as he's been gagnezing at the rate of about un café per day and giving the rims to me to get my Timmy's at w*rk each morning, and he likes beignets more than I do.

What, pray, is a beignet?

I hope that doesn't translate as a bayonet as the thought of an organist having one of those at choir practice is both understandable and terrifying!

beignet is a form of doughnut.

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
What, pray, is a beignet?

It's the French translation they use on the Roll up the Rim - you can exchange your rim for a doughnut or (I think) a muffin. Are you feeling homesick yet, Pete? [Big Grin]
quote:
... the thought of an organist having one of those at choir practice is both understandable and terrifying!

He doesn't have a bayonet ( [Eek!] ) but he does have a crumhorn, which can be quite useful for putting the wind up the sopranos. [Devil]

Rick Mercer on Weather Forecasting

Encapsulates this winter pretty much.

At this rate,we might see summer by October.

You have approximately two and a bit weeks to get your country adequately warm. Some of us have to wear silk frocks to weddings you know.

Firenze, you can wear whatever you want to the wedding, just be sure to have your parka and boots on to get there. A weather alert has been issued for 30 to 50 cm of snow and high winds on Wednesday. As the snow is still waist deep on my front lawn, I'm thinking "warm" is not such a good idea anyway. I prefer a nice slow thaw.

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
You have approximately two and a bit weeks to get your country adequately warm. Some of us have to wear silk frocks to weddings you know.

You worry too much. We were at a winter wedding in Québec City a couple of years ago, and the photos afterwards made it look as though the bride and her entourage had suddenly put on weight. They were all wearing long thermal underwear under the traditional pretty stuff, so that's what you may need to do. I was comfortable and warm in my kilt. We expect most of the snow to have melted by May.

It was snowing gently but steadily when I came to w*rk this morning (but not enough for a snow-day [Frown] ), but we're being forecast a weather-bomb on Wednesday/Thursday with 20-30cm of snow ...

[Waterworks]

Spring? Yeah, right. [Disappointed]

They are threatening double digit above freezing for the weekend.

I'll believe it when I get outside and feel it.

In the west, double digits below. Whacked out weather! (WOW!)

quote:

I thought you were going to Victoria, which hardly has a winter worthy of note?

True. But thereafter we're coming east again, specifically Toronto and Kingston.

(I have ordered a thermal underpinning or two).

It's all relative - from some perspectives Toronto and Kingston are quite far West ... [Big Grin]

The "let it snow" switch has been switched on. It took three hours to go from no wind to blowing like stink and then the snow started. All hunkered down for a real Nor'Easter.

We've been getting the tail end of it since early this evening - fierce winds and blowing snow (although not really very much lying) and now it's raining and still blowing a fair bit.

Not enough for a sn*w day tomorrow though. [Frown]

Hope those of you in the thick of it are keeping safe - the Weather Channel pictures of Halifax and Charlottetown looked pretty wild earlier today.

Enough wind that the snow blew away from the cars, leaving only the pile at the end of the drive, basically pushed in by the plow. Did lose a few shingles.

Nowhere hear what PEI got.

Full whiteout though - TransCanada closed from Sackville to Truro for about 24 hours

Daughter 2 called from TO, in a panic that we would be alright. Hey, nice and cosy in the house, power merely flickered a couple of times, didn't have to go anywhere, and the snow was easy to clear the next morning. Doesn't get much better

But now they're calling for rain - 15 mm or so, just enough to freeze a shell on the surface, which is disaster for the deer.

And, just to keep you aware that it could be worse, Winnipeg has had it so cold for so long that pipes 7 feet underground are freezing. So glad I'm not there any longer.

[ 27. March 2014, 22:26: Message edited by: Horseman Bree ]

All well here. It sure was windy and the weatherman, who has been at it for 28 years, said it was the worst storm/wind he has seen.

Everything was pretty much shut down yesterday and today - over 50 cm of new snow and drifts 2-3 metres in front of my house. I'm on a main road so there was a track plowed for the fire trucks but the winds kept up all day so they have had a hard time of it. Gusts to over 100 km/hr do not make for an easy clean up.

The sun shone brightly though and my dog thinks that I put the snow out there just for her!

quote:
True. But thereafter we're coming east again, specifically Toronto and Kingston.

(I have ordered a thermal underpinning or two).

I live halfway between Toronto and Kingston. Shipmeet? [Smile]

quote:
... Winnipeg has had it so cold for so long that pipes 7 feet underground are freezing ...

I take the minutes for the Anglican Cemetery Committee of St. John's and at our last meeting somebody mentioned that the ground in Manitoba froze to a depth of 7 feet. It came up in the context of a discussion about the ground here, which usually doesn't freeze more than about a foot, had frozen 3½ feet this year, making it far harder to dig the graves (and more expensive, as the machines used more fuel).

Well into the third day of wind, freezing rain/snow, low cloud - but at least it is still near zero (C)

Driving isn't too bad, but visibility is not good.

Hope there is someone enjoying a garden somewhere

Much the same here, Horseman Bree. Everything is shut down. I daresay I will not be changing my tires this afternoon as originally planned. Still have power though and the wee dog had a blast jumping through the snowbanks - she thinks I put them there just for her while she was asleep.

Posted by Caissa (# 16710) on :

With snow days, professional development and parent-teacher meetings, our sons have been in school 0.5 of the last 7 days.

Similar here - we had the five days off for March Break, school was on for Monday and Tuesday and now they have been off for five school days in a row with a PD day this Friday. Some high school students are being emailed assignments and some teachers are giving daily homework via blogs. Hopefully the snow will stop falling later today!

It's not been quite that bad here, although we had a snow-day today. It was really only a half-day: the university was closed in the morning but opened again at 1 o'clock. As I would have finished work at 2, I phoned my boss (who was working from home as her kids were off school) and she said not to bother coming in just for an hour.

When we opened the front door there was about a foot of snow on the step, but now it seems to be easing off (or turning to rain and freezing rain).

Take care, those of you who are having it a lot worse than us.

We're finally beginning to see gardens and grass under the snow, so that's good. I would normally have had species tulips in bloom over a week ago in one bed -- snow is finally gone but not a hint of anything growing as yet.

But about what really matters -- after scoring 2 -- yes 2! -- free coffees in the whole of March -- a new low in my experience -- on 1 April I landed a third, as they were clearing out the last of the RUTRTW cups. Now I can go back to ceramic mugs and save the environment.

John

Posted by HenryT (# 3722) on :

I went to work in shoes, rather than boots today, for the first time this year. One of my co-workers bicycled to work, for the second time this year.

I'm still in boots - just as well, as I had to negotiate about a foot and a half's depth of snow to get from where D. dropped me off in the car-park to the door at w*rk.

D. said later that he'd seen someone out walking in shorts ... [Eek!]

Someone upstairs must have flipped switch. Instead of adding a foot or two of wet snow every couple of days, we are now losing over a foot of snow a day. Our old dog was actually puzzled about the damp brown stuff that appeared from the snowdrifts today - mere earth and grass has been so rarely seen.

At least the deer won't be kept away from their food much longer.

And robins! and geese! and ducks!

Lots of geese and ducks and songbirds here too. This is my pup's first spring and she's ecstatic about it all. She has also begun to employ her well-practiced digging skills in the little bit of ground that is now showing at the edge of the house. We still have at least a metre of snow all over the yard and much higher banks. I too wore shoes to walk the dog yesterday and today and was only a little bit cold. Still need the hat and mitts in the morning though.

Having carefully packed thermal everything, Toronto was bright and sunny when we arrived. Will find out what Vancouver's like later today, and Port Alberni the day after (but the forecast promises 12C and rising into the w/end).

Dredging this out of the doldrums to boast of my honorary grandson who will be 12 in a few weeks, and a few weeks after that will be presented with a black belt in karate. He's worked very hard for this and I have made a decision to go to his presentation. I will be able to see other important people and do some long-neglected visiting as well. I will be away for 5 days. Roll on, June!

I admit that I know the square root of diddly-squat about karate, but being a black belt in anything at the age of twelve sounds pretty impressive to me.

Well done, HonorarygrandsonofPete! [Yipee] [Overused] [Yipee]

Back from The Great Canadian Outing. The thing that struck me looking at the photos (at 3am. Hello jet-lag.) was how Spring washes in and out as we dot from east to west and back again. Plus leaving a still leafless Ontario to come back to a full-on green and blossomy UK.

The other thing I have a lot of pix of is water: the harbour at Horseshoe Bay, Stamp River Falls, Port Alberni, the Fraser River, Lake Ontario, Niagara Falls, ditto rapids and whirlpool.

And now I have just to lose the 10lbs of pancakes, syrup, fries, tacos, pizzas and doughnuts.

Firenze, what? No poutine?

quote:

There are depths to which even I will not sink.

No trip to Canada is complete without poutine and beavertails.

Come to Newfoundland next time, Firenze and sample the delights of seal-flipper pie. [Eek!]

I think that Spring this year in St. John's is scheduled for the third Tuesday in June, at about 2:45 in the afternoon. But it might be late ... [Big Grin]

Need to have a feed of cod tongues and cheeks as well.

Been to Nfld twice. I recommend it. All the men called me buddy, all the women called me darling. Great scenery. Just generally great.

Ahh, a trip to Newfoundland! That's on my bucket list. I've been before but never for very long.

I also would like to visit the Maritimes.

Struck too by Niagara on the Lake and the wine country. Possible combo with a trip to the Finger Lakes in upstate NY - which a friend in Albany was recommending.

*Clears throat* The Maritimes are indeed lovely, but are you discounting Atlantic Canada? Newfoundland and Labrador?

[Biased]

quote:
quote:

There are depths to which even I will not sink.
Don't you live in the land of Deep Fried Mars Bars? [Paranoid]

This food discussion brings up a query:

Is there a decent book about regional cooking in Canada? Not a cookbook, just a book that discuses what different regions enjoy?

While I've seen various books, there is also a lovely magazine about Atlantic Canada called "Saltscapes". They have a website here.

[ 30. April 2014, 10:13: Message edited by: lily pad ]

Google suggests this book.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Flavours-Canada-Celebration-Regional/dp/1551928957

quote:
Anita Stewart takes readers on a full-flavored pan-Canadian culinary journey in this tantalizing winner of two Cuisine Canada Book Awards...
[edited to prevent any copyright issues]

[ 30. April 2014, 13:37: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

It's Spring, the birds are chirping, the sun in shining and the Election Lawn Signs are in bloom here in Ontario. [Big Grin]

I just pray Hudak doesn't con the people, nor that Wynne wins.

But Wynne did have one glorious moment just before Christmas, when she made a homely reference in the House to Tiny Tim. She looked at Hudak's face, realised what she had said, and cracked up, as did the rest of the House.

We'll be out of the country for the next couple of weeks, for which mercy, profound thanks.

I was somewhat disappointed there wasn't a formal vote of no-confidence. I'm a stickler for the formalities. [Razz]

Wynne has the prerogative to ask the L-G for a dissolution and election at anytime. Take Marois for example...

[Big Grin] That was poetic justice, that was.

I almost posted this on the "Canadian saints" thread:

RIP Knowlton Nash

Goodnight, Uncle Knowlty. [Tear]

quote:
Originally posted by Meg the Red:
I almost posted this on the "Canadian saints" thread:

RIP Knowlton Nash

Goodnight, Uncle Knowlty. [Tear]

I heard it on the radio this morning and enjoyed the description of his "broad smile". I imagine many people of a certain age were smiling in return at that description. Lots of memories of him in the tv in our living room.

[Votive]

quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
I was somewhat disappointed there wasn't a formal vote of no-confidence. I'm a stickler for the formalities. [Razz]

I entirely agree on this. Are the days gone that the socialists were the guardians of our traditions? ah for the spirit of Eugene Forsey.

Well, in Ontario's case it was Wynne's right as Premier to do exactly what she did. I predicted she might do it, but I thought she'd convene the Legislature for a formal vote so she could "stick it" to Andrea Horwath. But OTOH, the budget had been left too long and there was little time for delay; they had to hit the road so we could have an election before July 1 and everyone checks out, mentally and physically, for the summer.

That was more or less the answer I had from the Liberal candidate who canvassed me yesterday and it's not illogical. I still would have preferred the formal vote. It is better for a lieutenant-governor to take note of a legislative fact than leaders' speeches or statements. Me and three other people are concerned about this.

I was out canvassing with our candidate on Sunday. Nice walk and met some nice people. We planted seven signs.

Signs are up on my block: 3 NDP, 3 Liberal, and one PC. The trend is not likely province-wide.

Predictable for Ottawa. The NDP holds Ottawa Centre federally but not provincially. (Which does not imply that you live in Ottawa Centre.)

As the riding boundaries are identical or nearly so and NDP membership is identical at both the federal and provincial level (there is no separate membership), the NDP is leaning heavily on its members and supporters to pick up the riding provincially.

It's difficult to say in Ottawa Centre right now--- the NDP HQ is busy and they have the eastern and more bohemian part of the riding well signed, but there is a slightly greater number of Liberal signs in the west end. PC signs are sprinkled here and there. Both the NDP and Liberals have strong candidates and are well-known in the community (the NDP candidate is a school trustee and the Liberal is the sitting member and, while Muslim, is well-received by the numerically more important Jewish and Arab Christian communities. If I were an NDP strategist, I would be putting most Ottawa volunteers into this riding. It's too soon for any local polling to be out, and I've not seen anyone's internal stuff yet. I suspect nobody will be focussing until after the leaders' debates on June 3, and then voting is only 9 days later.

Among my friends, the Liberals are morose and preoccupied, the Conservatives furious, and the NDPs are grumpy, so I am not sure what to read into that.

I don't suppose that any of this is of more than geek or anthropological interest to shipmates in New Zealand or Ayrshire, but it can't hurt them.

As the NDP has Jagmeet Singh as the incumbent in Bramlea--Gore---Malton, perhaps the era of the "ethnic" boost is fading away, and perhaps good riddance to it.

The ethnicity factor will never fade away entirely-- I write from the Ottawa Valley where RCs are still viewed with suspicion from the Battle of the Boyne and franco-ontarians still vote on Regulation 17 (1912). I think that the positive change is the end of packing nominations by one community, and that we now have an expectation that any viable candidate must be able to enjoy support from a wide range of communities, and to build a base on the grounds of issues perceived across communities. It's still a developing situation, but it seems to be going the right way.

Keep an eye on Northumberland on Election Night. The Liberals lost it by 700 votes last time to the Tories and the NDP is running the same candidate, she's very popular personally. The Liberals had a real chip on their shoulder about Northumberland last time 'round, especially towards the NDP.

The parties are running their begging cups - er, I mean telephone calls -trying to drum up support. I give more credit to those who announce who they are on call display than those who hide behind a telephone number.

Newsflash - whichever one, I don't pick up. And your constant calling is irritating me.

My first robocall tonight, from Mr Hudak's people telling me about the jobs which will be created.

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

Sorry to jump onto your thread, but can anyone give some advice?

Hi,
I am looking for accommodation for a professional couple in Canberra. I will be working near ANU, so anywhere around there will be preferable, but I am open to try anywhere. I am from England and I am not sure exactly when I am arriving as the visa is processing, but it should be around the end of June or July. If anyone thinks they will be renting a room at $200 or less a week at around this time (bills included) then please let me know and we can have a chat.

Thanks,

Toby and Sky

Toby is Darllenwr's nephew.

You are very welcome on our thread, St G, but somehow I think that it be the Australians, not the Canadians, who can give you realistic help about Canberra!! If you drop in on your way, we might be of more use.

I was about to say, St Gladwys, did you mean to post on this thread ?

The ice is out! The ice is out! Off tomorrow to put in the dock.

Whoo hoo! No ice here either. Super low tides right now are making for brilliant evening walks. It was too hot to take the pup with me in the car today. First time all year. And, the black flies were out at the dog park. Summer is on its way!

quote:
... Summer is on its way!

Really?

We're still in single digits here, although they are beginning to promise a bit of warmth, and there are a few nascent leaves on some of the trees ...

[Paranoid]

Er, as I did raise $200 for my local candidate, I suppose I am a bagman now. [Two face]

Posted by Tree Bee (# 4033) on :

Sitting in Vancouver airport waiting to get on a plane to Victoria. It's been a long day!

Hope you've recovered!

I will be in Victoria for a day tomorrow - hope the weather stays good (especially for the drive across the Malahat).

Watching the funeral service for the RCMP and so disappointed in the Baptist pastor. Gosh, his head must be so big he should be careful or it might explode.

Otherwise, a beautiful service. The police dog whose handler was one of those killed made it especially poignant. There's a photo of him reaching up on his hind legs to smell his partner's hat as the procession was stopped and his mournful whines and barks filled the auditorium of 7,000 police and family members.

There has to be at least one Christian to make the rest of us look bad. And that one will be the one to complain publicly about the lack of churchianity.

Worst funeral I ever attended, for a 16-y.o. boy killed in a stupid traffic accident, had two preachers vying to see which one would do more damage to the church.

But you're right. LP. The parade and the service were a marvel.

Traffic in town was about 1/4 of the usual, what with people lining the route, attending the satellite venues or watching at home or work on live TV.

Many have been extremely touched by the huge outpouring of affection for the Mounties, everything from the pizza-shop owner who gave away a full day's production to the officers on duty during the search through the signs and personal givings-of-thanks to the fact that 850 families* offered billet space (in a few cases, complete houses) for the visiting police here to cover on duty for the city police or to attend the service (I've heard numbers up to 7000)

*It only took one morning to get these offers.

[ 10. June 2014, 22:17: Message edited by: Horseman Bree ]

quote:
Signs are up on my block: 3 NDP, 3 Liberal, and one PC. The trend is not likely province-wide.

So it seems.....I'm not sure even the Libs thought this was possible. Its not quite Bob Rae but its darn close.

I was surprised that it was a majority (although I won a bottle of rioja on it) but wanting a minority may have been wishful thinking on my part, as I am one of the small cohort that quite likes minority governments, which are forced to be responsive. I thought that the NDP did very well out of this one, and have improved their long-term fortunes considerably. The Conservatives, for their part, might have to realize that asking the people to make a clear choice sometimes results in their making a clear choice.

Perhaps they will also realize that no party can win on its base (a lesson for all parties, of course, at all levels).

The task is always to see how many people you can add to your base, and on the left and the right that means moderating and moving towards the centre.

WHen you position yourself as one of the extremes, you positively invite moderate rightists to move to the centre, and make yourself unattractive to anyone else.

Some of the commentary about Hudak this morning is interesting -- no one seems to be giving the man credit for actually believing his platform was true. They're all talking about tactics and so on. I think Hudak really believed what I would call nonesense, and give him credit for having the courage of his convictions despite the probably impact on electibility.

John

Horvath showed once again that when the NDP runs a campaign towards the centre only the Liberals benefit.

I'm as right-wing a Dipper as they come, and I thought Horwath could have run a more visionary campaign. Her platform needed a bigger centrepiece.

OTOH, I'm glad that it's a majority for one reason and one reason only: I get to concentrate on Federal politics exclusively until 2015. The NDP has a single, integrated membership and people work both levels, especially at riding level. It's an awkward fit sometimes and the uncertainty of minority governments hindered federal efforts in Ontario, especially in fundraising. Not any longer. [Smile]

Anyway, off to collect signs....

It has been raining for 10 days, every day. We have standing water in all fields, parks and roads. They said it would stop before the weekend, but we just got another 1½" two hours ago. The sump pump which normally runs every 20 minutes is going every minute for the the last week. This is insane! The eastern slopes of the Rockies into the prairies are wet, wet, wet. Same thing in 2013 and 2012. The weather is mad!

Rejoice, O Torontoians!
Sing Alleluia! You poor Trawnian denizens!

Rob Ford is back from rehab. [Projectile]

In other news I leave for the countryside tomorrow. No internet. [Yipee] 5 days of bliss.

Looking forward to my first Canada Day as a resident (was in Canada for 1st July a couple of years ago).

quote:
... [Yipee] 5 days of bliss.

Bliss indeed!

I posted above about 10 days of rain. We had 2 days or maybe it was 3 with minimal rain but it hasn't stopped. There is standing water in every low spot. The lake at our cabin is up 6 inches. The stream out is over it's banks. The sump is running nonstop. No end in sight. Total predicted in next 24 hours us 5 inches. We are drowning.

Send it over here - our monsoon is stuttering a bit.

I totally feel for you but am enduring day two of five of hot sun. What happend to moderation?

I think it went out of fashion after St Paul.

Power went out. Off now 8 hours. Winds took out poles all over. South Sask River is up over 10 feet. It continues to pour. Cellular coverage still working. Sump stopped due to power. Water with 8 inches of the floor. Made tea on camp stove. Dunno.

Emergency power on now. Thank God.

15 cm of rain has fallen in 15 hours. On top of the 22 we have since Thurs. Running 3 two inch pumps. Nothing to do but keep checking them and to post to forums like this one. Can just keep up when the rain stops.

[ 29. June 2014, 18:49: Message edited by: no prophet ]

It's a big country! Hot sun here - so hot that there has been almost no traffic either on the road or on foot. Hope your rains stop soon.

quote:
... Rob Ford is back from rehab ...

Did it work? [Big Grin]

Glorious sunshine here today, and temperatures forecast to go into the mid-20s. [Eek!]

Thinking about all you Prairie-dwellers though - the pictures on the Weather Channel have been scary!.

[Votive]

Rain is supposed to stop today. TransCanada and Yellow Head highways out in eastern Sask. Probably will get out to help with sandbagging. Maybe Rob Ford could be a raft. He is a big guy.

NP, to divert you while you're holding back the deluge, perhaps you might like to take this quiz? .

According to my results, I am apparently as Canadian as a beaver. I missed on the soft drink, porch climber and jelly doughnut (though for the record, the last was always dubbed a bismarck in our house).

Happy Canada Day!

Thx. I am also a beaver. Building damns.

...and I, who have visited Canada twice in my 65 years, qualify as a Moose! Mind you we do have a Canadian Experience every winter here.

Beaver, 24 points. I checked to see how many points this equalled for a Hudson Bay point blanket.

Ha! Been in Canada for less than 6 months and I'm a beaver. Looking at the answers, I could/should have done better. But feeling pleased.

That was a very silly quiz.

Happy Canada Day to Canadians from coast to coast to coast and around the world.

So far today, I have celebrated by mopping the floors and by putting a maple leaf scarf on the puppy. Shouldn't be too hard to top that!

I'm a Mighty Moose, which isn't bad for a Brit who's never been further west than Toronto (and that was only the airport).

eta: Happy Canada Day! [Smile]

[ 01. July 2014, 14:08: Message edited by: piglet ]

Happy Canada Day!

I finally saw some images of the flooding in Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Horrible times there right now. The commentator on the CBC Canada Day show from Parliament Hill said that, even as we celebrate, we would all do well to remember the people who were coping with the flooding. I echo his thoughts.

[Votive] for all those who are struggling.

Sunny and windy now. We are on the Sask-Man border. Power went off again for 12 hours, on again now. Pumping pumping pumping. The water is acting like a land tsunami. It will be calm and then a flow comes.

Highways west are intermittently closed. Family is driving west and is taking some interesting and time consuming detours. Expect when they hit Alberta they willbe in the clear.

Posted by basso (# 4228) on :

Happy Canada Day!

Here's a webcomic for the day.

That link wouldn't work for me, basso - sorry.

Posted by basso (# 4228) on :

Drat. It works here. Sorry I don't have another.

Works OK to the UK.

[Killing me]

Worked fine for me. Bookmarked it, too!

Nice and comfortable all day here, what with the wind coming up Fundy to move the heat around. Alma and Albert had fog and 16 degrees C. We were at about 25 most of the day and Moncton and inland was way over 30.

No wonder they have difficulty in forecasting!

quote:

Sorry, so very sorry. (Worked for me)

According to Environment Canada, it got up to 25° here today, but I reckon it was hotter than that. It's always a few degrees hotter downtown than they say anyway, and that's before you factor in the humidity.

27°, feeling like 33, tomorrow ... [Eek!]

Hot and uncharacteristically humid today; when I tried to cool down by going to the park on my lunch hour, a squad of mosquitoes attacked my legs.

When did I move to Winnipeg? [Razz]

quote:
quote:

Sorry, so very sorry. (Worked for me)
Today it works okay - weird system!

Sorry about that.

Hatches all battened down in anticipation of Hurricane Arthur.

Our weather forecast has a big red box with the following:
TROPICAL STORM WARNING IN EFFECT
WIND WARNING IN EFFECT
SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT IN EFFECT
TROPICAL CYCLONE INFORMATION STATEMENT IN EFFECT

It's going to be a time.

And things are not looking any better in Manitoba .

[Votive] For all those facing a deluge, whether overland or from the sky.

Holding all in the danger zones in the Light.

Stay safe, everybody.

[Votive]

[Votive] for all in Arthur's path, which may include us, although so far here it's just been hot, blustery and sort of pre-tropical-storm-ish.

Sunday's forecast has cooler temperatures ( [Yipee] ) and rain, but not really in the sort of quantities you might expect from a tropical storm.

And now smoke. We have extremely large amounts of standing water, flooded farm field and all that other water, but now we also have smoke in the air, a constant haze for 3 days. We are at home/swamp from the lake/swamp. NWT forest fires we are told. I'm glad someone enjoys all this: mosquitos are ridiculous many even looking out the front door.

No Prophet, as I have heard said often enough, you have all of our sympathy and none of our envy.

Still way too hot here but if it is any consolation, the mosquitoes here are great in number and biting like mad too.

It appears we are destined to have two seasons - one too cold and snowy and one too warm and itchy.

We had serious but not ridiculous amounts of rain from Arthur last Saturday, and the winds didn't seem to be much more than the usual up-Fundy summer strength, but the western side of the province was smacked quite hard. Still no power on Thursday for about 30,000 people, mostly around the provincial capital. The railway line that runs diagonally across the province from Moncton to Edmundston had over 1000 trees on the line, despite the clear strip along each side.

quote:
No Prophet, as I have heard said often enough, you have all of our sympathy and none of our envy.

Sorry. By someone enjoying it, I meant the mosquitos. Did not mean humanfolk. They are a group possessed. A gang. A swarm. A murder of.

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

quote:
I'm glad someone is enjoying this... I meant mosquitoes...
If you can be charitable to mosquitoes, you're a better man than I, Gunga Din!

itchitchitchSCRATCHitchitchitchSCRATCHSCRATCHouch

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
quote:

Sorry. By someone enjoying it, I meant the mosquitos. Did not mean humanfolk. They are a group possessed. A gang. A swarm. A murder of.
Indeed. I understood you. Here's to fair weather and gentle breezes and power.

quote:
quote:
... Rob Ford is back from rehab ...

Did it work? [Big Grin]

Apparently it doesn't cure you of homophobia.

Although Rob has blamed his past homophobia on his disease.

An' for just one time, in a Land so Wild and Savage...

Parks Canada has found one of the Franklin Wrecks, they don't know whether it's HMS Erebus or Terror.

Now there's a mystery solved.

Yes, spotted that myself - itching to hear more!

AG

I strongly suspect it's genuine, it's in the right place. The wreck lies in 11m of water and divers are going to go down. But the camera footage the CBC aired showed classic black-powder naval cannon lying in the wreckage. Any wreck with those aboard in the Canadian Arctic at that location has to be, without a doubt, the Franklin ships.

Inuit oral history had a Franklin wreck at that location too; there is another possible resting spot for the other ship.

Didn't get to see that, but the sidescan sonar picture looks - to my eye, at least, I'm no expert - to show a substantially intact hull sitting on its keel. If it's as well preserved as the 1812 wrecks in one of the lakes (Hamilton and Scourge?)...

AG

I recently finished a book about the search for the Franklin expedition.

I had always heard of Franklin as a great explorer, but he really didn't accomplish much. He went in for Arctic exploration because there was not much else for senior naval officers to do after the Napoleonic wars.

Other officers, such as Edward Parry, John Ross, and James Clark Ross showed an aptitude for exploration and made important discoveries. Franklin was apparently an excellent military leader, but that didn't translate to exploration.

His claim to fame is the repeated searches which were made for him. His wife, who was a very forceful woman and who had the ear of people in high places, was responsible for the tremendous effort to find him.

Moo

Yes, Hamilton and Scourge are the Great Lakes wrecks, and anyone who knows their names is always welcome on this thread. [Smile]

The joys of National Geographic, SPK!

On the subject of Franklin, here's a pic of something quirky: https://flic.kr/p/dwLppX

piglet will no doubt jump if we mention John Rae as well. Badly served by Victorian society for believing the word of the locals rather than the presumed reputation of British servicemen...

AG

Posted by sharkshooter (# 1589) on :

Rob - out.
Doug - in.

For better or worse? Or, more of the same? Actually, it looks like Tory will win.

I'm just glad Olivia is trailing in the polls.

I love Olivia but I think she will soon have to dump her campaign and throw her support behind John Tory. Next Monday we have an election here in NB.

I must confess to not knowing as much about John Rae as I should, but when we were in Orkney last week they mentioned that there was to be a memorial to him unveiled next month in Westminster Abbey, and that they're planning a simultaneous memorial service in St. Magnus Cathedral.

Posted by Soror Magna (# 9881) on :

Hi, fellow Canucks. I'm going to be in Toronto in early October. PM me if you'd like to be part of a Shipmeet!

quote:
An' for just one time, in a Land so Wild and Savage...

Parks Canada has found one of the Franklin Wrecks, they don't know whether it's HMS Erebus or Terror.

Now there's a mystery solved.

Just saw your first line. Stan and later Garnet. Fine gentleman. Well posted!

I may make it, depending on what happens in the next few days.

*bump*

Parks Canada has identified the Franklin Ship found a month ago as the Erebus, the one Franklin himself berthed on.

It should be an interesting diving season next summer.

Fall is the best time to be in Southern Ontario.

When's it coming again?

quote:
Fall is the best time to be in Southern Ontario ...

IMHO it's the best season to be anywhere. Especially Newfoundland. [Smile]

It's pretty. Makes me realise that I'll soon have to get my Indian visa to get the heck out of Dodge.

Considering that you go to India every winter, when was the last time you saw actual sn*w? [Big Grin]

quote:
Considering that you go to India every winter, when was the last time you saw actual sn*w? [Big Grin]

Last winter. I never leave till mid-December. This time I leave after the Christmas blackout. So I will see plenty of the white stuff. [Waterworks]

There have been times when I have seen snow when I returned in April. [Eek!]

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas...

Do I sound like Bing?

Shadduup Wodders!

You sound more like Thing.

If he could sing, that is. You have that in common with him

quote:
I'm dreaming of a white Christmas...

I'll probably get one - would you like me to send it to you?

[Devil]

What a kind offer, but...

quote:
quote:

Last winter. I never leave till mid-December. This time I leave after the Christmas blackout...
Don't put those last two words together again please. I walk past a downed tree limb from that storm every day. Bad memories. [Frown]

[ 07. October 2014, 01:51: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

Too right, Og. We had a black-out just after New Year last year, and it wasn't even caused by a storm, but more due to catastrophic mis-management on the part of Newfoundland Power.

It's no fun being deprived of your only source of heat when the day-time temperature is struggling to reach -10°. [Eek!]

quote:
Parks Canada has identified the Franklin Ship found a month ago as the Erebus, the one Franklin himself berthed on.

I missed that, SPK - thank you, have had a rummage round the news stories. Absolutely fascinating!

AG

quote:
...It's no fun being deprived of your only source of heat when the day-time temperature is struggling to reach -10°. [Eek!]

[Big Grin]

no further comment

Not wearing a shirt again today, eh Wodders? [Biased]

quote:
Not wearing a shirt again today, eh Wodders? [Biased]

Does he ever, except for Mass on Sunday? Enquiring minds need to know...

What you mean is that some people have prurient minds!

Currently, at 06,20, I am not but these days I try to wear a shirt or equivalent for meal times - out of my natural modesty.

[Big Grin]

I suppose a bib counts as an equivalent... [Biased]

Posted by Uncle Pete (# 10422) on :

Happy Thanksgiving, compatriots!

(At least we hold the holiday at the proper time of the year) [Big Grin]

Yes, indeed - and don't eat too much!

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

Happy Thanksgiving from over here too. We're going to friends on Monday for turkey and all the trimmings - as we're all in the choir, Sunday's a bit too busy to include civilised eating, so Monday works better.

Attended Grandson's baptism at the Cathedral in Halifax, so "wetting the baby's head" became the reason for the family to gather in that city. Oddly enough, not much turkey was served at the buffet event.

You say that as if not having turkey was a bad thing.

I hate turkey. Had to eat it on consecutive days. I should be safe until Christmas.

Just had my first Canadian Thanksgiving - turkey and all.

We're now eating cold turkey for the foreseeable future and have made the decision that NEXT year we'll have lasagne, instead.

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

Heresy! We got a fresh turkey from the local Hutterites again. Wild rice, mushroom and bacon stuffing. Baked turnips in cheese. Potatoes and beans from our garden. Marshmallow salad. Buns I made. Cranberry sauce my wife made. Pumpkin pie with lots of whipped cream.

Love, Love, Love turkey. Thanksgiving, Xmas and Easter.

I just ate my lunch which was a turkey, cranberry, mayonnaise, bacon sandwich. An epiphany of exploding flavours, like angels fighting demons on my tongue. Everyone has won and must have prizes.

We're looking for church fall suppers which means more turkey, probably weekly for the next month.

I must confess to turkey not really being my favourite thing (I eat it twice a year because I'm expected to), but the one we had at our friends' on Monday was delicious - nice and juicy and with lots of lovely accompaniments.

Back from the trail and sad to have missed Thanksgiving, as the turkey feast is one of my favourite celebrations. I am notorious for pleading for the carcass, so that I can spend a day or two cheerfully making turkey stock-- I can usually get 10 litres of stock out of it.

I find stock-making very therapeutic - we buy a ready-cooked chicken every other week or so and I make stock (and then soup), which leads to a very satisfactory feeling of domestic goddessishness.

[Angel]

Posted by Stetson (# 9597) on :

My mother, bless her heart, is in the habit of sending me worried e-mails every time someone in North or South Korea so much as utters uncomplimentary words about the other country.

She moved to Ottawa earlier this year.

Oh hell, Stetson, she must be having kittens.

Fingers crossed for Ottowa right now... [Votive]

AG

For anybody who has been in or around that building, this is just heart breaking.

quote:
Oh hell, Stetson, she must be having kittens.

Well, she's actually out in the suburbs, so I'm not overly worried. Thanks for the concern, though.

And yes, I hope all Ottawans, and especially the Shipmates among them, are holding out okay.

[Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

Really shocked.

Posted by Trudy Scrumptious (# 5647) on :

[Votive] Thinking of everyone in and around Ottawa today.

A reservist from the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders was apparently shot at the National War Memorial. No other information is available as the military is in a communications lockdown. The gunman ran to Parliament Hill, nearby, and apparently many shots were fired in the building. A gunman is confirmed dead, but there is no other information. Shortly afterward a person was shot near the Rideau Centre Mall just up the street. The Mall and, indeed, much of downtown is in lockdown. My information is third hand from the hysteria-inducing media. One of my friends is in lockdown as staff were advised to stay away from the windows and doors, but apparently not from Facebook.

This Uncle Pete reporting from about 5 miles away in Ottawa.

I was on the way for my morning cortado and taking my usual route behind parliament hill by the river when I was stopped by some very focussed RCMP plainclothes who were looking for someone in a black jacket, and had I seen anyone. Just cyclists, I told them.

As the market stalls were closing, I returned home by a very circuitous route. My friends in offices are under lockdown and instructed to stay away from windows. The RCMP are everywhere and are concerned about: a) keeping people safe if someone is still about with a weapon, and b) finding him.

I expect that there will be more coherent news in a few hours. We've made the front page of the New York Times but generally speaking, would rather not have done so.

The latest information says that there were not any shots in the vicinity of the Rideau Centre.

Just checking in to say I'm thinking of you all, especially Uncle Pete, A the A and any other Ottawa Shippies.

[Votive] for the soul of Cpl. Cirillo, and that of his killer.

A great editorial cartoon about yesterday.

My nephew, who is currently at the Ottawa Mission, says that the slain gunman was a client there, and that he used to talk to him. As you do with people with whom you are thrown together. It might explain further why the Mission was in lockdown yesterday

Posted by Jane R (# 331) on :

[Eek!] [Votive]

This Nat Post article describes the trying to save the soldier's life. It is a very moving account.

The Cold Lake mosque was vandalised last night. By this afternoon the town (which serves a military base) had the mosque nearly aright.

Canadians are not jerks. Regardless of our faith path, we are quietly decent people.

I was appalled, then I was pleased. The mayor and the military attended afternoon prayers.

Good - that's the way it should be.

While I'm appalled by the action of extremists like Zehaf-Bibeau, whenever something like this happens I find myself feeling very sorry for all the decent, law-abiding Muslims who come here to work and do nothing but good.

Jian Ghomeshi! You have been a very naughty boy.

After reading his tirade on Facebook, I wondered if he was the inspiration for the bloke in Fifty Shades of Grey.

[Snigger]

Seriously though, can they really fire him for having, um, interesting bedroom proclivities?

He's an yuppie artist, his proclivities are de rigeur interesting. But other than the fact that I find Q to be intensely boring, I don't care about what he does.

Though 'Mothership' is certainly reverting to its puritanical type.

Posted by Trudy Scrumptious (# 5647) on :

Today's revelations, particularly the Toronto Star article , make it seem likely that there's more to the story than the CBC firing someone for liking a bit of BDSM. Which makes sense, because I'm pretty sure you couldn't get away with firing someone on those grounds in this day and age. I've always been a big Jian fan ... in fact I used to be a big Moxy Fruvous fan, which apparently is not cool to admit right now -- but although I know there are such things as false accusations, I find the storyline of the abused women afraid to come forward, and the powerful man claiming it was all the work of a vengeful ex, all too familiar and plausible.

[ 27. October 2014, 20:49: Message edited by: Trudy Scrumptious ]

From the whips to the mundane. Another Tory, Tory, has won the Trawna mayoralty. From a populist Tory millionaire to a grey Tory millionaire. I think it's the first election Tory has ever won. A slight improvement.

In other news, a grey Watson has retained Ottawa, but my ward councillor, Peter Clark, the former reginal chair, has lost to a local businessman.

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
...In other news, a grey Watson has retained Ottawa, but my ward councillor, Peter Clark, the former reginal chair, has lost to a local businessman.

Reginal - is he a Queen?

...and as a chair is he comfortable?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I never thought I'd miss Mel Lastman!

At least John Tory knows how to behave in public!

The Alberta byelections might not seem that significant, until you consider that the government was widely viewed as being extremely unpopular in the wake of Redford's spending shenanigans, and that Wildrose was regarded as the natural replacement.

Yet the Tories won all four seats, and in two of them Wildrose didn't even make second place.

I guess you'd have to check which partisan sources were reporting the problems!

Changing the topic to rather more cheery notes (at least for me, it's cheery) my visa is now happily installed in my passport and in 10 weeks I will be off to Woddersland.

Snow today.

Oh, go wash your mouth out with soap! [Waterworks]

They've already had some sn*w up in Labrador, but mercifully none here so far.

Good news about your visa, Pete - presumably now you won't give a stuff if the rest of us get sn*w ... [Big Grin]

quote:
Changing the topic to rather more cheery notes (at least for me, it's cheery) my visa is now happily installed in my passport and in 10 weeks I will be off to Woddersland.

Lord, have mercy!

The Ghomeshi thing might just have started a must needed discussion on why women don't report rape and how much victim blaming happens in this country, especially among those who otherwise would call themselves liberal types. It was amazing how many people saw this as a Harper led conspiracy against the CBC. [Frown]

I for one care a WHOLE LOT about the injustice of how people are yelling "liar" at women for not going to the cops about an assault and yet believing a guy based on his Facebook post.
[Mad]

Report tonight is up to 8 women and 1 has allowed herself to be named.

This country needs to discuss the difference between legal truth and acceptable behaviour.

quote:
Report tonight is up to 8 women and 1 has allowed herself to be named.

The one who allowed her name to be used for publication is an actress who is also a captain in the Air Force.

The winds of shit are blowing, Ricky...

Jian and I served on the Ontario Federation of Students executive in 1991-2. I watch with interest as this saga unfolds.

The information about this is very disturbing indeed, from what was done, and possibly how the corporation didn't do anything. Probably something police is next according to the news. I feel deeply for those affected.

In other news, Peterborough's very own Deano has been found guilty of election fraud. We wait with bated breath to see if he gets gaol time and/or whether his seat in Parliament is declared vacant.

Hardly likely, I fear. Though he now sits as an Independent, he was first elected as one of Harpo's clowns. They don't know the meaning of the word no.

You rang? [Big Grin]

As I have moved back to the City of Peterborough (temporarily), I'm at Ground Zero here.

Ah, Dean, that whale of a car salesman. He sold cars at Del Mastro Motors down on Lansdowne St. until he was elected in 2006.

I doubt there will be a byelection; Dean will appeal until the bitter end. The appeal lies to the Superior Court of Justice in this case, I believe.

Most people are sick of this story, this is hardly the coverage the city and county want. Plus from self-interest, a byelection would interfere with setting up the new Riding Associations on the new boundaries, which changed significantly during redistribution.

Peterborough. Wish my father's family hadn't sold the quarter mile of shoreline on Clear Lake for a song in 1962.

Quite. On the Smith or Douro side, if I may ask?

On a different note, my little riding association now has 250 members. We have a contested nomination. After what happened in Quebec, everyone wants to be a New Democrat! [Yipee]

quote:
... see if he gets gaol time and/or whether his seat in Parliament is declared vacant.

Surely if he's sent to prison he's not going to be much use as an MP?

Even if they don't call a by-election (and I can't really see how they couldn't) I'd hope that at the next general election the good citizens of Peterborough would tell him to take a running jump.

Oh, he's done like dinner electorally. He doesn't even live in the Riding anymore, his house and the township it's in are now in Northumberland--Peterborough South, the riding to the south.

The old saying is that so goes Peterborough, so goes Canada; Peterborough hasn't voted against the government in a general election in decades.

It's just the law is dreadfully unclear on what exactly is to be done. The Elections Act states that conviction for what Del Mastro is charged with means you are ineligible to sit as an MP for give years, and can't vote either. But sentence has not been imposed yet, and a conditional discharge would get around that point. There is precious little chance of that though.

However only the House of Commons itself can expel a member, and historically it has only done that when all appeals have been exhausted. The only other MPs who have been expelled since Confederation were Louis Riel (twice), Fred Rose (convicted of spying during the Gouzenko Affair) and an unmemorable MP in the 1890's who was promptly re-elected. If the House doesn't act, there's nothing that can be done.

However, I think his smell is so bad that even the Tories will want him thrown to the wolves (under the bus is full) and out of their hair.

As of last week's Le Journal de Montréal's riding analysis site gave del Mastro a 79% chance of winning Peterborough at the next election. I think that these figures now need revision.

I think that figure is a little high in any case; the riding is different this time but the NDP came second in 2011 and has been investing resources in Peterborough. I would put Peterborough--Kawartha (as it is now) as three-way competitive.

quote:
I think that figure is a little high in any case; the riding is different this time but the NDP came second in 2011 and has been investing resources in Peterborough. I would put Peterborough--Kawartha (as it is now) as three-way competitive.

I think that you're right for Peterborough which, while it has a history of voting on the winning side, also has a history of not being anyone's safe seat. The J de M's formula projects polling breakdowns by province with factors of previous wins, incumbency, etc. Their prediction is a good example of how such models are flawed in the face of local circumstances.

Peterborough campaigns are always active and competitive.

Dean broke one of the cardinal rules of elected members here in Peternborough: if you can't be in cabinet, and can't be clever, at least keep your nose clean and be a good, respectable constituency MP.

quote:
Quite. On the Smith or Douro side, if I may ask?

On a different note, my little riding association now has 250 members. We have a contested nomination. After what happened in Quebec, everyone wants to be a New Democrat! [Yipee]

Highway 28 goes north through Young's Point at the west end of the lake and then turns east. At the corner a was a farmhouse owned in the 1940s by Jim and Violet Freeburn. They owned the land down to the shore of the lake. Highway 28 then turns northwards again. There was a road between the 2 turns of the highway down to the lake. That's the land that was bought in I think 1943 or so, for some $1500 or so.

On your other, with riding redistribution, I suspect Saskatchewan will elect between 3 and 6 of it's 13 MPs as NDP next go. The prior riding boundaries there washed out urban NDP votes with rural. Alberta will likely be much the same as now, as will Manitoba, as the new riding boundaries don't affect them so much. BC, I have never understood BC politics.

Smith side. Smith is the west side of Clear Lake, Douro is the east side of Clear Lake and the south side of Stoney Lake.

And yes, ah, to go home again.... [Yipee]

And of course I can't forget Edmonton--Griesbach, who send Linda Duncan to Ottawa to as their NDP MP. The only non-blue riding in Alberta. She's hosting next year's Convention.

Peterborough was redistributed into Peterborough--Kawartha, the first serious change of the riding boundaries since the 1960's. The three northern townships of Peterborough County were reunited with Peterborough and the southern townships of Norwood-Asphodel and Otonabee-South Monaghan passed to Northumberland--Peterborough South.

quote:
And of course I can't forget Edmonton--Griesbach, who send Linda Duncan to Ottawa to as their NDP MP. The only non-blue riding in Alberta. She's hosting next year's Convention.

According to wiki, she currently represents Edmonton Strathcona. Edmonton - Griesbach is a future riding, which, according to the same source, will encompass parts of St. Albert and Edmonton East.

I grew up in a neighbourhood now encompassed by Edmonton Strathcona. For many years, it was represented by Tory David Kilgour, who later crossed to the Liberals after having switched to a redistricted riding(which may have also overlapped with my neighbourhood, I can't recall).

wiki

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
I grew up in a neighbourhood now encompassed by Edmonton Strathcona. For many years, it was represented by Tory David Kilgour, who later crossed to the Liberals after having switched to a redistricted riding(which may have also overlapped with my neighbourhood, I can't recall).

My uncle was friends with and campaigned for David Kilgour. I met him twice, I was politically agnostic in those days (1970s). He was an excellent speaker.

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:

My uncle was friends with and campaigned for David Kilgour. I met him twice, I was politically agnostic in those days (1970s). He was an excellent speaker.
And fluently bilingual, to boot.

As you may know, he's the brother-in-law of John Turner, and so of course there was a bit of speculation about that when he switched over to the Liberals.

But he ended up serving 15 years as a Liberal, almost all of that time under Jean Chretien.

I didn't know the John Turner connection. Very interesting, thanks.

quote:
I didn't know the John Turner connection. Very interesting, thanks.

I recall an interview with him on CBC radio, where he said that he had decided a few years earlier that the Liberal Party was closer to his ideas than the Conservatives at the time, but he was concerned that he might be accused of switching to his brother-in-law's party, as Turner was then the Liberal leader. As the Conservatives expelled him from caucus in 1990 for voting against the GST, the decision was made for him. After serving in the Chrétien cabinet, he left the Liberals to sit as an independent in protest against the sponsorship scandal. Like Douglas Roche, he is an interesting example of those Alberta MPs whose religious beliefs were an element in moving them leftward through their political careers.

D. Kilgour actually went to school in Manitoba - at least, high school, since I met him there. I don't know if being one of those people infected by dangerously eastern-province ideas made a difference.

Even then, Manitoba and Alberta were very different places.

In other news, Adam Moulton, a 24 year old graduate of Trinity-Western University beat out Paul Smith, Brian Mulroney's former assistant to win the Northumberland--Peterborough South Conservative nomination.

You can paper over the Reform/PC split all you want, it's still there. Luckily the local New Democrats are also having a contested nomination.

quote:
D. Kilgour actually went to school in Manitoba - at least, high school, since I met him there. I don't know if being one of those people infected by dangerously eastern-province ideas made a difference.

Even then, Manitoba and Alberta were very different places.

Kilgour wrote a book about the history of western alienation, which I gather takes a more subtle approach than the usual "Let the eastern bashterds freeze" line that was common in Alberta at the time.

Though I'm sure like any other proper-thinking Albertan(and certainly like any Tory MP wishing to be re-elected) Kilgour was opposed to the NEP.

Trinity-Western University has been in the news recently. It sounds like an oddity in Canada with its statement of morality (if that's what it is called). I think you probably have called it correctly with the Reform angle, but this election result seems somewhat odd to me given our western Canadian perceptions of Ontario being, may I say, more broad minded.

quote:
our western Canadian perceptions of Ontario being, may I say, more broad minded.

I think "perceptions" is the operative word there. It is not unheard of for Ontarians to elect politicians who are at least as reactionary as any coughed up from southern Alberta. John Gamble(friend of fascists), and Tom Wappell come to mind, just off the top.

And of course Mike Harris and the recent mayor of Toronto scarcely require mention.

NPS is a rural riding, and rural Central and Southern Ontario have a history of returning "interesting" politicians like Bill Domm (Peterborough) and Sam Hughes (Victoria County (Lindsay)). It's just given Ontario's urban population, they were and are usually swamped by MP's of a more moderate persuasion. But not always.

Please don't forget "Gorgeous George" Hees who sat for Northumberland County. Even my mother cast envious eyes his way from then near, yet so far, Durham County.

quote:
NPS is a rural riding, and rural Central and Southern Ontario have a history of returning "interesting" politicians like Bill Domm (Peterborough) and Sam Hughes (Victoria County (Lindsay)). It's just given Ontario's urban population, they were and are usually swamped by MP's of a more moderate persuasion. But not always.

Just refreshing myself on Domm, whose name I very vaguely remebered. Funny to recall a time when metric there was actually a viable movement against the metric system.

And I very clearly remember the parliamentary vote on the death penalty that Domm pushed for. Odd how that pretty much ended the issue in Canada, even though we've had murder cases to rival Clifford Olson for brutality, and polls still show most Canadians in favour.

quote:
Please don't forget "Gorgeous George" Hees who sat for Northumberland County. Even my mother cast envious eyes his way from then near, yet so far, Durham County.

Decades ago I had lunch with Gorgeous George who regaled me with tales of 1940s politics in Toronto, when he used to give (his CCF opponent) Andy Brewin rides to debates as Andy's bike had been stolen. He had unkind things to say about Mr Diefenbaker but he had not made up his mind about (Pierre) Trudeau who would guarantee perpetual re-election in Northumberland, but equally perpetually in opposition.

quote:

George Hees was sane, normal and well-adjusted. By "interesting" I meant "crazy".

I have a fried who proudly showed me the cheek that Gorgeous George kissed. (On the face, now don't be dragging this thread down....)

What did you use to fry your fried? All in one piece or did you cut him in chunks first?

Do the police know about your little predilection?

quote:
What did you use to fry your fried? All in one piece or did you cut him in chunks first?

Do the police know about your little predilection?

Her, surely. The thought of George Hees kissing a man on the cheek....

REmember George Hees was implicated in the infamous (If you're old enough or a political nerd) Munsinger affair.

John

I had to Google that, JH, but I'm glad I did, as now I know where the name of the CBC show This Hour Has 22 Minutes comes from; I've been vaguely wondering that for the last 10 years.

[Big Grin]

Changing the topic, today I was browsing the offerings of the Rockcliffe Park Book Fair on this weekend. To my great joy, I came across a hardcover copy of the Indian edition of Mihir Bose's A history of Indian cricket. A book I never expected to see in Canada, but what a joy! It will certainly be part of my permanent collection,

Pete, let me know what it's like, it looks like I might like a copy on my shelves, too - can get from amazon.in here.

A treasure trove of names and hundreds of pages of test match scorecards (1933-1990) which you (and I) will need magnifying glasses to see form a very large appendix. It will be fun reading.

quote:
... hundreds of pages of test match scorecards ... form a very large appendix.

You might need surgery for that ... [Big Grin]

Another day to despair of the laws of this land.

Its apparently not illegal to do despicable things, well except for one teensy bit which gets you the equivalent punishment of when ur a kid and break your neighbour's windoe...... but it is illegal to mention the name of the person those things were done to.

Not for the first time, I have come to the conclusion that the law is an ass. [Mad]

I am sure many lawyers would agree with you.

I don't really know about Canada but in lands I know better one of the problems is surely the rather indifferent quality of some of those we elect to be legislators.

quote:

I don't really know about Canada but in lands I know better one of the problems is surely the rather indifferent quality of some of those we elect to be legislators.

From time to time, I think of the Will Rogers routine where he said that he had been up to Washington and had seen Congress at work. They were fools or thieves, he stated, rapscallions, ne'er-do-wells, and desperadoes of all description-- and thoroughly representative of their constituents. If we don't like what we see, we need to reflect on who put them there, and how they got there.

quote:
The House of Commons starts its proceedings with a prayer. The chaplain looks at the assembled members with their varied intelligence and then prays for the country.
Alfred Denning, Baron Denning, Master of the Rolls (1899-1999)

To quote Gilbert & Sullivan (from Iolanthe):
quote:
When in that House M.P.'s divide,
If they've a brain and cerebellum, too,
They've got to leave that brain outside,
And vote just as their leaders tell 'em to.

[Big Grin]

There was some commentary in The Times about the necessity for the US President to finish his speeches with "God Bless America", and what would be the appropriate ending in some other countries.

The statement that seemed to offer the least offence was voted to be "Keep Britain Tidy", but the clear winner generally was "God Save Us All".

quote:
quote:

From time to time, I think of the Will Rogers routine where he said that he had been up to Washington and had seen Congress at work. They were fools or thieves, he stated, rapscallions, ne'er-do-wells, and desperadoes of all description-- and thoroughly representative of their constituents. If we don't like what we see, we need to reflect on who put them there, and how they got there.
I think in the US, you've got the phenomenon of the voter who thinks congress is a bunch of crooks and fools, but doesn't include his own local representatives in that.

Hence, you see polls reporting "X percent of voters hate congress", followed a while later by an election in which the number of defeated incumbents is far smaller than what you'd expect if the voters were including their own reps as targets of their wrath.

In Canada, because of the stronger identification between party, leader, and MPs, you don't really get the same sorta disconnect. If you hate the prime minister, more than likely you hate his party, including your local MP if he is from that party.

Very much so. I actually like my local Tory MP for some constituency work he did, and he was a nice person personally, but I detest the policies he supports and argue strenuously against them.

The local political activists all know each other, and it's like that.

I can see where you're coming from there, SPK. I understand that the late Ian Paisley was, despite all the bluster and perceived bigotry, an excellent constituency MP, and fought very hard for the people of North Antrim, no matter which side of The Divide they came from.

I would never have voted for him or his party, but I respected his integrity.

I vote NDP and then work with my local representatives on areas of mutual interest. Those representatives are invariably Tory and occasionally, Liberal.

The reason that Rob Ford continued to get 40% of the vote is that his constituency work was seen to be really good (plus a personality that appealed to a certain segment of the population)

Oh, and, Caissa, I have to do the same, since we are at opposite ends of the same riding (I think) At one time we had a Conservative MP who was also a strong supporter of equal rights, back in that dim distant past when this was acceptable. My present MP is only interested in being as near as possible to the seat of power, although it would appear that he is good for some of the citizens of the western end of the riding. He certainly has no understanding of environmental or other issues that he will admit to.

[ 19. November 2014, 16:12: Message edited by: Horseman Bree ]

Federally, I am in the Saint John riding. Provincially, Portland Simonds.

So not far from the edge of Fundy-Royal (or whatever the new name is)

quote:
There was some commentary in The Times about the necessity for the US President to finish his speeches with "God Bless America", and what would be the appropriate ending in some other countries.

The statement that seemed to offer the least offence was voted to be "Keep Britain Tidy", but the clear winner generally was "God Save Us All".

If "God save us all" is uttered with the right inflection it could be rather good. In Canada, though, perhaps we might be best to have a comment about the weather, such as "stay warm!".

quote:
quote:

If "God save us all" is uttered with the right inflection it could be rather good. In Canada, though, perhaps we might be best to have a comment about the weather, such as "stay warm!".
Mr Harper tried "God Bless Canada" when he first took up his commission, but press commentary (and focus groups) discouraged him from continuing.

Perhaps that we should all be exhorted to "Keep your walks shovelled," or "Check your snow tires?"

Snow tires have now been installed. Hoping that only the 15-25 cm will be all we get. We're as ready as we can be!

The only reason I can think of that we're not being offered the 20-30cm that they're expecting on the west side of the island is that we had our snow-tyres fitted on Monday ...

[Paranoid]

The deck has now been shovelled off twice and another 10 cm is expected this morning. The puppy had a glorious walk this morning. The wind is up and everything is cancelled. Snow day!

Snow tires are worth it for sure. We have them on the car and I have studded tires on my winter bikes, 310 studs per tire. The streets are a mess just now. We have a foot or so of snow and its -23°C. Stay warm!

quote:
... We have a foot or so of snow and its -23°C. ...

You can keep that, NP! I know I like the cold, but -23° is over-egging the pudding. [Eek!]

**brrrrrrr**

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
... We have a foot or so of snow and its -23°C. ...

You can keep that, NP! I know I like the cold, but -23° is over-egging the pudding. [Eek!]

**brrrrrrr**

But it's a dry cold. I think the damp adds a good 10 degrees. I rode to one my offices this morning, passing cars and trying not to overheat. Found myself doing the Collect for Purity again. It's like an ear worm song.

"Ah, but it is a dry cold" was suggested as the motto to put on Saskatchewan licence plates.

And -23 isn't really cold unless there is a wind. Serious winter camping isn't planned unless one expects -40 (on either temp. scale)

quote:
And -23 isn't really cold unless there is a wind. Serious winter camping isn't planned unless one expects -40 (on either temp. scale)

Did that at -44°C / -47°F in the Nisbet Provincial Forest between Duck Lake and MacDowell, Sask as a boy scout many years ago in the 1970s (about 100 km north of Saskatoon; unbeknownst to many, coniferous forests start between Saskatoon and Prince Albert, interspersed with cleared land). We spent all our time getting firewood, cooking things like Tulip Bacon in a can and frying bread in the fat and when dark, in our shelters in sleeping bags singing rude songs like the North Atlantic Squadron. It gets very still at those temps, and in the daytime almost magical in terms of sounds carrying through the bush and sun dogs. I miss tulip bacon, a can held a pound, packed in beautiful white salty fat. In the -40s you gain no weight.

[ 28. November 2014, 01:52: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

So, is Tulip Bacon packed by Calvinists?

quote:
So, is Tulip Bacon packed by Calvinists?

We must be precise-- it is packed by the Dutch Reformed. Kirk folk just smoke their herring and, frankly, I prefer the smoked whitefish from the Algoma Cree or the smoked tuna from Haida Gwai.

I think I hold my departmental record for walking to work at -42°C (with wind chill), but only if you exclude any records held by the Department of Canadian Heritage's predecessor, that of the Department of the Secretary of State, as many of its staff were out on snowshoes and horseback on the prairies in winter.

My military friends are well accustomed to winter camping (I have turned down invitations, including one which was very tempting), but I do not know if they are familiar with ditties such as the North Atlantic Squadron. I can make enquiries.

quote:
... I have turned down invitations, including one which was very tempting ...

**shudder**

Not to me they wouldn't be. [Eek!] Then again, even summer camping, even if the weather could be guaranteed warm and dry, wouldn't tempt me either.

I like my creature comforts. [Smile]

Piglet writes:
quote:
**shudder**
Do not write so, you who have not been pierced by the gaze of a red-headed lieutenant of Hussars (still, better than being pierced by her sabre).

[ 29. November 2014, 03:34: Message edited by: Augustine the Aleut ]

Now I'm shuddering even more ... [Eek!]

quote:
The reason that Rob Ford continued to get 40% of the vote is that his constituency work was seen to be really good (plus a personality that appealed to a certain segment of the population)

Emphasis on the seen.

Reality was another matter.

That and Toronto city politics at the ward level is a cesspool of "vote for him because he gives us this".

And please forgive me for responding to old posts but I work in a Holiday centric job involving deliveries across the country and am just coming up for air tonight.

I not only pray for good weather for you all cause of Christian charity but also because it makes my life SO much easier for the next month. [Big Grin]

On a serious note - praying for no ice storms or blizzards. Saw and heard of too many people who had ruined family times because of those last December. Regardless of whether people celebrate Christmas, this country desperately needs that winter celebration for our good mental health.

Oh, and one of the best Rick Mercer bits on winter ever.

quote:
... I work in a Holiday centric job involving deliveries across the country ...

You're not Father Christmas are you? [Big Grin]

Le Gros Bill is dead!

[Waterworks]

And in other sad news, its been 25 years since 14 women were killed for daring to be Engineering students. [Votive]

Even sadder is the fact that nothing in our society has actually changed on that front. We still gather to mark the killing of more women, all too often by their (male) partners.

quote:
Even sadder is the fact that nothing in our society has actually changed on that front. We still gather to mark the killing of more women, all too often by their (male) partners.

Actually, lots of progress has been made.

Stats Can reports that the wife-murder rate in Canada dropped steadily from 11.6/million in 1991 to 5.1 in 2010. We may not be there yet, but the stats show things are changing for the better.

Well, that is encouraging.

Of course, the overall violent-crime rate seems to be dropping, in particular, the rates of homicide against both males and females. Makes one wonder why the Harper gov't needs to be so whiny about crime (except that fact has never been something they enjoy)

But there are still too many women being threatened or beaten by men who regard said women as their property, so there is still work to be done. I know that our local shelter for women trying to get away from trouble is turning them away for lack of space (although that the fix for that is in the works). I have no idea what it is like around the "man-camps" of the West.

Meanwhile, of more immediate concern: over 100 mm. of rain (4 inches) in a day across most of the province leaves at least 80 roads unusable, in some cases, for months rather than days.

Our provincial gov't has spent far too much on building 4-lane highways for the meager amount of traffic we have, while ignoring the roads that people actually use every day.

Is there any way that politicians can be forced to deal with maintenance issues, rather than settling for bright shiny new toys that aren't helpful?

I'll pick up on the weather part. We are day #2 of +5°C, and 2 more minimum scheduled. Makes a terrible mess with all of the snow melting, and when it drops to normal temps, we'll be skating and falling. I wish it was -5.

While I'm at it, Stephen Harper says that it'd be crazy to regulate the oil and gas industries. How about it's crazy not to, because of the atrocious impacts on climate and weather. And because I fear a brown Christmas now.

Hope all of you being hit by storms are safe and well.

[Votive]

So far, nothing worse than a wet, miserable day here, and set to be wet and warm (double figures!!) for the next few days.

[Confused]

It is supposed to be a warm rainy Christmas here in the nation's capital. Yuck. Warm and dry would be ok, or cold, but there's nothing you can do with a warm rainy winter day.

Sharkshooter, we are facing similar weather here. The forecast is for +12 tomorrow but the wind and rain is going to make it pretty nasty out. We still have six bridges out since the rain two weeks ago. I made an extra trip out to the church yesterday as I couldn't see carrying everything - especially the four dozen cupcakes - in tonight in the wind and rain. Yes, it is better than snow but it will make for a cozy indoor Christmas. If we keep the power, that will be a bonus.

We got the merest dusting (really just a few flakes) of some frosty/snowy stuff last night, and it's quite cold here, but nothing exciting (Deo gratias). Any weather that you don't have to shovel is fine by me.

I don't even want to think of the possibility of power-cuts. We had a humungous one last New Year that lasted most of the weekend, and was apparently caused more by brainlessness on the part of Newfoundland Power than any meteorological factors. Having no electricity when it's your only source of heat and the temperature's hovering around the -10° mark is no fun. [Frown]

The torrential rains we were promised turned out to be drizzle falling through fog. Temp. up to +14 C yesterday, today a mere +3 C, with the snow magically vanished, and surprisingly little mud.

One of our C&E visitors managed to find the one seriously muddy spot and dug his car in rim-deep, but that was a ten-minute diversion after service, since many of the locals understand how to deal with such a problem. No-one got mudded! Otherwise a blandly pleasant time.

Brrrr........we had the nice warm +14 degree Christmas Day and now we've got -13 with a wind chill of -25. They are forecasting a big storm for Sunday so does that mean I don't need to prepare the service/sermon?

quote:
... They are forecasting a big storm for Sunday so does that mean I don't need to prepare the service/sermon?

Certainly not. [Devil]

Whenever there's a big storm here, we're sometimes the only church in the city to open its doors. Having said that, the Deanery and the curate's house are just across the road from the Cathedral, and we're about 5 minutes' drive up the road.

"They're forecasting..." words that fill one with dread, and yet words that don't carry a lot of conviction as prophecy.

Even apart from what the Piglet says, would you actually base your actions on weather forecasts for more than the next day?

John

Happy New Year!

In keeping with Ship tradition old regional threads die on the last of the year and then new threads appear when anyone so minded starts the next.

I'll miss this thread but I'm sure a sooper-dooper new thread will soon takes its place.

Go to it, Shipmates.

WW - AS Host

© Ship of Fools 2016