Thread: Weel done cutty sark! Scotland 2014 Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=028011

Posted by Cottontail (# 12234) on :

So ... how was your Hogmanay?

I was at the Biggar Bonfire [Votive] again this year, though contrary to scurrilous rumours, I was not dancing naked. I was, however, cheerfully helping to block one of the main routes south from Edinburgh.

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

I wish all my fellow-Scots a happy and prosperous New Year, and I hope that by now you're all feeling a bit better. [Devil]

Just in case there are any other Orcadians on board, I'm delighted to report that both the New Year's Day Ba's went in the right direction.

[Yipee]

My Better Half won't be quite so pleased - he's an Uppie.

Posted by daisymay (# 1480) on :

It was on the pictures in Edinburgh, showing very dark and it must have been a not so nice time and place as usual.

Actually, it was a nice night, daisymay. Hogmanay was a day of calm amidst some pretty stormy weather, and the night was dry, quite warm, and not too windy. We did well. [Smile]

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

Saw in the New a Year in a back garden (not my own) in Portobello. Got to bed about 2 am. Made a low-effort dinner tonight consisting of a wildly-reduced M&S ready stuffed duck, with a bottle of Comte de Brismand from Lidl. Watched the new Sherlock.

I was really pleased to learn via Facebook that the bloke who runs Pentland Ferries, the short-sea ro-ro ferry from Caithness to Orkney, who was in my class at school, has been appointed OBE in the New Year honours list for services to transport. It's particularly well-deserved as his ferry provided a life-line when the supposed "life-line" service was out of commission (but still getting a humungous subsidy from the Scottish government).

I think it's the first time anyone from my class has got a gong - well done to him! [Yipee]

I'm glad to know that it was dry in Edinburgh that special night, when thousands take enjoying it then!

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Rainy and sometimes sunny Scotland

Posted by Jack the Lass (# 3415) on :

What lovely photos Curiosity killed... - I hope you enjoyed your stay this side of the border!

Our new year was very quiet, we did stay up as the elf lass was due a feed so going to bed seemed a bit pointless till that was done. So at the precise moment we had Jools Holland on in the background and a little girl burping along to Auld Lang Syne.

So far in 2014 we've not actually left the house, due to the beautiful (!) weather, but it does seem dry today so I might try and take her round the block just to blow away a few cobwebs.

Posted by Forthview (# 12376) on :

Same from me - thank you very you much for the lovely photos of Oban - one of my favourite places.
Weather is lovely in Edinburgh today.
Happy New Year !

Posted by North East Quine (# 13049) on :

....and on the subject of cutty sarks.....two of my allegedly best friends have given me a voucher for a "boudoir photoshoot" for my forthcoming 50th birthday. [Eek!]

Just what every fat woman wants for her birthday! [Help]

Posted by Surfing Madness (# 11087) on :

Happy New Year everyone. Just back from a couple of days in Glasgow, including a trip to the panto. Hope everyone else has been enjoying the beginning of 2014 as much as me!

Paisley, Peebles and Dumfries all made it on to the "wild weather from around the world" segment on the Canadian Weather Channel yesterday, with what looked like a lot more water than they probably wanted.

Hope you're all keeping safe. [Votive]

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
....and on the subject of cutty sarks.....two of my allegedly best friends have given me a voucher for a "boudoir photoshoot" for my forthcoming 50th birthday. [Eek!]

Goodness! Will you go for it, do you think? They say it can be quite liberating ...

Oh, and while we are at it, you are not fat. Just not. Womanly, that is all. Could photograph well. [Biased]

You'll find old Gok Wan episodes on 4OD. [Snigger]

I will do it, but only if I can think of a way of making it "me" rather than conforming to a standardised idea of what makes a woman look sexy. [Two face]

Actually, a distant relative had some Hollywood shots taken in the 1920s, when she was in her mid / late 30s. If I could be made-up to resemble her, and re-create the poses, I'd go for that like a shot.

This is the look I would go for.

Posted by Sandemaniac (# 12829) on :

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:

Goodness - who'd ha' suspected Piglet of being in a mixed marriage? [Snigger]

NEQ - isn't the word you are looking for rubenesque?

AG

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
quote:

Goodness - who'd ha' suspected Piglet of being in a mixed marriage?
Not only that - he's English. [Eek!] [Big Grin]

Posted by To The Pain (# 12235) on :

I spent Hogmanay at the Stonehaven Fireballs festival (my most dramatic photograph can be found here) with hot whisky punch, followed by some first-footing with impromptu ceilidh dancing and home to bed around 3am.

The weather here seems to be alternating between dry and miserable so my flatmate and I are working our way through the boardgames, DVDs and chocolate we received over the festive season. A number of term-time activities won't be kicking off until February either, so I am indulging my inner sloth.

To The Pain,
how was it for today? Was it decent and not lots of water there? Are you managing to keep decently warm?

There was a whole hour on the TV this evening, and it was really good, about where there was plenty of hills and many animals and insects and birds. Did you lot watch it too? It was at places I've been a long time ago.

Sorry daisymay, I missed your post back on the 7th - living halfway up a hill and in a fairly sheltered estate there weren't any problems with flooding (bar the occaisional giant puddle) near me. The wind did blow my kitchen window open and break the catch though, so it's bungee'd to the sink awaiting repair!

Now we've shifted from the wind-down after Hogmanay to the wind-up to Burns' Night. My girlfriend is giving the response to the Toast to the Lassies and has been sending her counterpart pictures of pieces of toaast all week to remind him that it would be handy if she could see his toast in order to respond to it! While I'm not keen on arbitrarily separating humanity into genders and the wild generalising that comes to it, I did rather enjoy the year that I got to give The Response.

Anyone else toasting a haggis on Saturday?

An English friend is bravely hosting a small Burns' Supper on Saturday night, so I'll be in Edinburgh for that!

Re. speeches: I learned the hard way that the minister should never have anything to do either with the Toast to the Lassies or with the Reply. In a previous church I had spent the whole year breaking down gender stereotypes, only to find myself plunged straight back into them at the church Burns' Supper. I couldn't even do the usual cheerful insults, and risqué jokes were definitely off limits!

I have vowed to confine myself to the Immortal Memory from now on. Luckily, I have up my sleeve an Immortal Memory I wrote in the style of William McGonagall. [Big Grin] Went down a treat!

There are written records of ancestors of mine who could conceivably have seen a glacier in the Cairngorms! If you'll excuse the obvious pun, how cool is that?

It's a pity Embra is so far away, because I'd love to see the mammoth exhibition, though if it rains when we are in the Lake District it'll only be err... three hours away!

AG

McSween's haggis was on offer at Morrisons when we nipped in for a post few-day-away shop. So we will have an in-house Burns Supper sometime next week, when I can get round to organising a neep and a tattie.

We occasionally go to a formal do - but none will ever eclipse the one, just before the actual implementation of devolution, where Donald Dewar gave the Immortal Memory. It was both hilarious and deeply felt.

[ 22. January 2014, 19:44: Message edited by: Firenze ]

For some reason our crew don't usually have an Immortal Memory, just the address to the haggis and the toast and response to the lassies. My Response was delivered two days before I handed in my PhD, written the morning of the supper (although most of my googling had been done beforehand) and reflected the fact that I was busy writing a thesis. It had section numbers and headings that I read out as I went ("three point two point one" was particularly satisfying) and probably constituted the most amusing thing about my toast.

This year all I have to do is provide some cake, but there's a chance they'll make me sing.

We've got the Cathedral Vestry post-Christmas pot-luck this evening. When I was thinking about what I'd bring, I suddenly remembered how close it was to the end of the haggis season, and decided that I'd make one, which I haven't done for ages (you can't buy them over here, but they're dead easy to make). It's now in the fridge ready to be baked, and D's in charge of the clapshot.

At the same memorable Burns Night, there was a speaker who'd held various diplomatic postings. She was in Zurich, and attempting to make haggis. Her first difficulty was the butchers who explained they didn't sell that kind of meat for human consumption. Eventually, however, she managed, and had it boiling in a pan with the lid tied down to stop it drying out. Only to hear one appalled guest witness the rattling pot and whisper to another "My god, I think it's still alive!"

Having spent last night at a college Burns' Supper, I have only one thing to say this morning.

Oooooh, ma heid!

AG

Back from decorating our church hall and setting the tables for tonight's Supper. I am waitressing, and Full of Chips is addressing the Haggis.

Alas, Chips' kilt has unaccountably shrunk and he is having to hire one. I have no sartorial issues, as I have to wear black trousers or skirt and a white blouse.

Just back from a Burns Night at church. It was fun but I've decided the Scots are even crazier than I thought!

quote:
Originally posted by Surfing Madness:
... I've decided the Scots are even crazier than I thought!

It never occurred to me that you weren't one of us ... [Big Grin]

The forecast today is very very wet and cold

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-25898129

as it shows on the computer. I hope you and my families all survive.

quote:
Having spent last night at a college Burns' Supper, I have only one thing to say this morning.

Oooooh, ma heid!

AG

The whole North East family have missed church this morning for similar reasons, although ours was the church Burns Supper. Personally, I blame the sherry trifle.

It was an excellent night! 84 people, which is about the most we can have seated at tables in the church hall, the haggis piped in, great haggis, amazing sherry trifle, homemade tablet, a dramatic recitation of Tam o' Shanter, singing, fiddle music, piano music, accordion music, speeches, and then the poetry-in-motion which is the church ladies clearing up and washing the dishes.

There was a point last night when I was looking round and I thought "I love everybody in this church!" Mind you, that might have been the after-effects of the sherry trifle.

Ah yes, who can forget Burns Address to a Sherry Trifle ?

Wee Sleekit, cowerin', timorous jeelie...

quote:
quote:
... I've decided the Scots are even crazier than I thought!

It never occurred to me that you weren't one of us ... [Big Grin]
I am crazy.....but (whispers quietly) I'm English [Devil]

That's quite all right, SM - so is my Better Half. [Big Grin]

We had a good night with fifty-something folk, girlfriend's Response went down very well and I even sang a wee song in between some of the dancing. Took a great number of photographs so now everyone is busy liking them on facebook.

We did, however, use pretty much every table in the building and only just had enough room. In the summer we are due to host around 60 French and Italian dancers in addition to ourselves so now we've got to come up with a solution for that!

Then yesterday, when any sensible individual would have turned over and gone back to sleep after seeing how the rain was lashing down, we were out MCing an afternoon of social Scottish Coutry dancing. Everything went down well at that too, so overall it was a successful weekend all round. Now I just need to wake up enough to get a pile of things done at work today.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

Pardon my Sassenach ignorance (despite an Embra-born Father) but is trifle a part of the Burns' Night standard? Must it be sherry, because Mrs Sioni makes it with brandy and I prefer that.

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

Pardon my Sassenach ignorance (despite an Embra-born Father) but is trifle a part of the Burns' Night standard? Must it be sherry, because Mrs Sioni makes it with brandy and I prefer that.
Yes and no. Cock-a-leekie, then the haggis, neeps and tatties is standard - but after that it gets a bit vague. Cranachan, clootie dumpling or various things featuring 'whisky cream' turn up, but I don't think any one thing is canonical.

There was a trifle at our Burns' Supper one year that had to have 'Don't Eat Trifle and Drive' signs posted prominently around it. There was port in the jelly, advocaat in the custard and whisky in the cream - in such quantities that more than a very tiny portion would probably have put you over the drink-drive limit. Very tasty but decidedly lethal.

This year, no trifle, but a veritable mountain of cheese and, courtesy of my girlfriend and I, a Cake.

I felt a bit of a hypocrite at work last night giving a teenager the "don't talk people from the internet! chat!

TTP, that is a deeply cool cake! [Cool]

Why thank you, Piglet. It's really just two swiss rolls (one dyed red) cut to a third of their usual width and rolled around each other then stood on top of a disk of more sponge and topped with another. Some judicious trimming and liberal application of ganache et voila!

To be fair, the idea and most of the execution was my girlfriend's. I was Executive in Charge of Oven Timings, Chief Sponge Measurer and Sprinkles Consultant.

[Killing me]

It's a rotten job, Sprinkles Consultant, but I suppose someone has to do it ... [Big Grin]

It's the big vote today. Time to put up this wee video again?

Love that video!

Yes! That was really great to watch and see places and people and the singing too!

Of course, if the vote goes against God's will, it will rain for ever more up there just like it has down here.

But will anyone actually notice that?

AG

quote:
Of course, if the vote goes against God's will, it will rain for ever more up there just like it has down here.

AG

If rain is a sign of God's judgement I dread to think what Scotland has done in the past!

quote:
If rain is a sign of God's judgement I dread to think what Scotland has done in the past!

Whatever it was was, it was worst in Eskdalemuir.

[ 04. February 2014, 15:39: Message edited by: Firenze ]

quote:
quote:

Whatever it was was, it was worst in Eskdalemuir.
I live near Eskdalemuir. Den of iniquity, I tell you!

[Yipee]

That is all.

quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
[Yipee]

That is all.

Yup yup yup yup yup yup yup!

If I was a little more out at work, I'd be running around telling everyone that my girlfriend was quoted by our MSP during the debate but it's all a bit new for that.

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

...and I imagine my brother, a very homophobic "anti" pastor up there beyond the border, will be wailing and gnashing his teeth - such a shame I'm not there to soothe his fevered brow. I thought of e-mailing him but decided it would be rather counter-productive.

[Two face]

I feel you, WW. I have remained awfully silent toward my family on this one. It's pretty sad when something that has the potential to change one's life for the better isn't welcome to be shared with your nearest and dearest.

always it shows us on the computer, "news" of Scotland, that it is always wet on the east side. How is it for you? Are the schools still being used every day as usual?

Here in Stirling (not exactly east, admittedly) it's been OK - it rained today, on and off, but nothing compared to England at the moment.

Had a mini-Scotmeet today as Surfing Madness came to visit. Cake was eaten.

It's been steadily soggy here, with a bit of frost, but nothing alarming. My postcode means that I've officially been on "flood alert" a couple of times, in the last fortnight but I can't imagine that we would actually flood. We have a nearby children's playpark which is low-lying and designed to flood - it would hold a lot of water before it got to us.

I don't think there's really been much disruption around here either. Lots of rain, but even that has been on and off. There was slushy hail this morning too, but a sliver or two of sunshine this afternoon. Seems dry now, but I've settled on tea from the chipper (forgot to defrost the meat for dinner) and now I'm rather looking forward to cosying up with the flat to myself.

Went to see The Great Tapestry of Scotland today. Loved it!

Do you lot like and know Mull and Iona? My sister insists that we visit them in June this year - she has not been there but me and my husband both went there several times. Is it a good thing to get into the big tents just near when we go from Oban?

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

Mull? Iona? Just go.

Along with Ardnamurchan and Ardgour and the small isles surely they make up the loveliest landscapes of Scotlland.

"Lochaber no more..."

Also they are where the hymn tunes come from :-)

And we'll go on the train all night, up to Fort William and then get a bus down to Oban and get then across the river to Mull. I still haven't found exactly the place where they have lots of tents so we just can get into them and don't have to carry our ones.

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Also they are where the hymn tunes come from :-)

There is a memorial to Mary MacDonald on Mull. I'd love to stand next to it, drinking in the scenery of Bunessan and hearing it sung.

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

I like Iona best in the spring and late autumn. Not too crowded, and I like the cool weather. Spring can be incredibly beautiful, and if you go in October it takes most of the uncertainty out of whether or not you will be drenched to the skin. But it's beautiful rain!

Just in from seeing the Aurora. A friend 30 miles to the north posted on FB that the borealis were visible, so we drove a couple of miles into the country, away from lights and - there they were! Not particularly spectacular, no ripple effect, more of a fading in and out of green and rosy red.
Lovely!

Some people are posting stunning pictures on FB - seems we missed the borealis at their best. But we were happy with what we saw.

This photo gallery in the Telegraph has some pretty spectacular photos of the aurora, some in Scotland and some as far south as Whitby.

We were out late last night, but being in the city, could see only a clear and starry sky. But we saw them a few years ago over Edinburgh: not colourful (blue-white with touches of green) but extraordinarily mobile, with all sorts of shimmering and rippling going on.

Several of my friends and acquaintances in Orkney have posted wonderful pictures on Facebook.

I've only ever seen them twice - once in Orkney and once in Iceland - but neither display had the colour ranges that seem to have happened the other night.

Years ago [?early 90s?] I was staying with my dad in Sedbergh in the Yorkshire Dales and a neighbour called us out as they were visible all the way down there - mostly green but still spectacular.

Bumped into NEQ in town (not literally) when I had my friends children with me. Afterwards one of them asked me if NEQ was one of my invisible friends?

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

Better invisible friends than imaginary friends.

I rather like the idea of being an "invisible" friend.

I'm planning a few days away with my friend and her teenage daughter (who is not a typical teenager.) We will be camping/ camper vaning. I was thinking maybe Aberdeen shire. Any thoughts of where to go, etc?
We like being fairly lazy in an active way (i.e will happily look at mountains, but will go for walk where it is flatish.) We are planning on going the week before Easter.

Are you planning staying at a single place, or moving around?

Deeside (Braemar area) is the most scenic, but Aberdeenshire is large - there are coastal villages and the Cairngorms. There are castles dotted round all of Aberdeenshire, and quite a few distilleries. Wandering around castle grounds probably fits in with your "flatish walks" plans.

I'll second NEQ's Deeside suggestion - there's a campsite with good facilities at Ballater and from there you can explore flat walks like Burn O'Vat and Loch Kinord. Also the cafes are rather good.

Also Castles. And distilleries. In Aberdeen itself, you'll just overlap with the tapestry of Scotland at the Art Gallery. I'll pop back with other suggestions as the muse strikes.

Aberdeen's Women's Trail was launched today, on International Women's Day. Takes about two hours. I totally recommend it!

I am blissed out having had a brilliant International Women's Day, which started at 3pm yesterday and just kept getting better.

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

I am thinking of attending the Elizabeth Melville Day service in St Giles on 21 June.

Elizabeth Melville's flagstone will be unveiled in the morning, and
"In the evening, in the High Kirk of St Giles, the choral ensemble Sang Scule will give a concert entitled Ane Mid-simmar Nichts Godlie Dreame, featuring all five of Melville's songs, embedded in a sequence of psalm-paraphrases by George Buchanan, Alexander Montgomerie and James Melville, post-Reformation church music by Lady Culross's contemporary Jhone Angus of Dunfermline, and framed by audience-sung metrical psalms - Ps.124 "Nou Israel may say", Ps.23 "The Lord is only my support" to the tune "Culross", and Ps.2, with all its warnings to the kings and judges of the earth. Texts and music will be provided!"

I really like the sound of this! Any other Shipmates interested? Maybe a possible Shipmeet?

I'm afraid I won't be over the Pond until later in the year, but it sounds like rather a Good Thing. I'm a sucker for proper metrical psalms, complete with long notes at the start and incomprehensible syntax.

[Smile]

It does sound great, and I know several other people who will be there. But it's a Saturday. And I live a two-hour drive away. It could be done, and it is very tempting, but Saturdays are really not good for me.

Posted by Dafyd (# 5549) on :

It certainly sounds interesting. I'd probably be up for a shipmeet afterwards anyway.

Exactly where is that? on Saturday in June...

It's in St Giles Cathedral, in Edinburgh, daisymay.
The commemorative flagstone bit in the morning is at the Makars' Court, next to Lady Stair's House, just off the Royal Mile.

In the afternoon there will be "an afternoon conference discussing Melville and Scottish (and female) spirituality, chaired by Jamie Reid Baxter and punctuated by further readings from Melville's work by Gerda Stevenson (in two instances, in dialogue with Jamie Reid Baxter)."

I wasn't planning to go to that, but could be persuaded.

We have booked at Ach-Na-Brae in Mull in the beginning of June, my sister and my daughter and her husband all together. It was really good to find somewhere to sleep in for a while! And we can visit Iona too quite close. I have been there a while ago often but the others have not !

Maybe another time I can visit Edinburgh where we have family and friends.

quote:
It's in St Giles Cathedral, in Edinburgh, daisymay.
The commemorative flagstone bit in the morning is at the Makars' Court, next to Lady Stair's House, just off the Royal Mile.

The Makars' Court and Lady Stair's House together make one of my favourite places in Edinburgh: a lovely peaceful little corner just off the bustle of the Royal Mile. The flagstones are fascinating, with a mixture of familiar and new-to-me quotations. And the Writers' Museum in Lady Stair's House is excellent, and somehow the house decor survives too, and gives you a real insight into life in the 18th century. I love it. [Smile]
quote:
In the afternoon there will be "an afternoon conference discussing Melville and Scottish (and female) spirituality, chaired by Jamie Reid Baxter and punctuated by further readings from Melville's work by Gerda Stevenson (in two instances, in dialogue with Jamie Reid Baxter)."
I know Jamie via a friend - not well, but enough to have a wee blether when we meet in the National Library cafe. He is great fun, and very entertaining. He is also devoutly Orthodox, and his comment to my friend after meeting me for the first time was a whispered, "She's very Presbyterian, isn't she?" [Big Grin]

I've just booked the train to Glasgow all night, for us three, and also I was told that there might not be train to Oban, to get to Mull. I hope we get a train or we will have to get a car or a bus if that gets instead of the train.

We decided against the camping, but I will be have a few days away to Ballater this month. I'm looking forward to it, as it's an area that I don't know at all.

Just back from a few days staying in Ballater. We were very fortunate with the weather. It has some beautiful scenery but I have to say I'm not sure my legs will want to talk to me for a few days.

I was in Ballater last weekend providing a bit of a rent-a-crowd for a ceilidh. It is a lovely place, and one of the dance groups may be planning a camping weekend there towards the end of the summer.

The skies have been rather atmospherically darkening as our Holy Week services have progressed this week, even though the days have been fairly bright. Tonight we may find ourselves in very fitting darkness as we contemplate the crucifixion.

Would anyone be up for an Edinburgh Shipmeet on Sunday 25 May? We've got Sunday 25 and some of Monday 26 May in Edinburgh before wandering off to see if we can visit some islands. 'Cos we didn't get to Mull at Christmas and want to make sure we do now.

We're going to Mull at the beginning of June. It;s a lovely one,and also Iona. Have a great time there!

I believe I'm going to be in Edinburgh 25th May. I was just thinking a shipmeet would be a good idea. Presumably after church. Meet for lunch or after lunch?

Ooh - that sounds good - yes, lunch time would be good. Daughter has "complicated" dietary requirements - she's gluten and dairy allergic / intolerant, plus a few other things.

Have a lovely time in Scotland over Easter!

Posted by chive (# 208) on :

I was in Ballater the week before for a wedding. I love the place and have been going every year since I was a baby as it is where part of my family are from originally.

Radio 6 are playing "Hoots Mon!"

JTYSK.

AG

Posted by Arethosemyfeet (# 17047) on :

The coach to Oban from Glasgow is just as quick as the train, thought there are due to a be a lot more train journeys from May onwards. If you climb hills on the west side of Mull do wave at those of us on islands further out.

You get better views from the train. Especially of the nuclear submarines.

The scheduled journey time is pretty similar. My experience of driving up that way is that the A82 along Loch Lomond can be very slow going, and going over the Rest and be Thankful often not much better (even when the road hasn't been blocked by another landslide). Try it on a summer day with tourists pulling in and out of Luss and other spots along the way and I'd take the train.

I've mostly done the leg from Oban to Inveraray, which tends to keep pretty well to time, but I can see how the other part might get delayed.

quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
The coach to Oban from Glasgow is just as quick as the train, thought there are due to a be a lot more train journeys from May onwards. If you climb hills on the west side of Mull do wave at those of us on islands further out.

I do think it might be Ok when we go from Glasgow to Oban to Mull at the end of May.

I also do enjoy walking around in Mull. Maybe we can go up the hills. We will also visit Iona.

Are their Kirks at the place of Mull we will be which is close to Iona? Or do we need to get to Iona on a Sunday?

Posted by Derf (# 2093) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
I believe I'm going to be in Edinburgh 25th May. I was just thinking a shipmeet would be a good idea. Presumably after church. Meet for lunch or after lunch?

I too will be in Edinburgh that morning. Not sure what time I'll be free, but possibly up for something.

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Would anyone be up for an Edinburgh Shipmeet on Sunday 25 May?

Bump. Shall I start a dedicated thread?

I was thinking I ought to - but real life is being a tad challenging and I keep forgetting

At Christmas we were "entertained" by the locals' opinion of the slowness of the train from Glasgow to Oban - as in they moaned continuously the whole journey as they steadily became drunker on buffet trolley beer. (Which also meant the conductor had to tell them to stop drinking at 9pm - local rules - to additional complaints.)

Actually one of the locals wasn't moaning, he was stunned having just had charges dropped and been released from several months on remand that day and was wondering if he still had a home to go home to. The bus had finished for the holidays and they had had to take the train.

It was an *interesting* trip. Also enlivened by different passengers trying to work out family connections across the Highlands and Islands.

quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
Are their Kirks at the place of Mull we will be which is close to Iona? Or do we need to get to Iona on a Sunday?

This should help, I think:
http://www.ikkrom.org.uk/
The short answer is, yes, so long as you don't mind waiting until the afternoon.

Thank you very much giving me lots of information to go to church/kirk.
And will there be one to take us across from Mull to Iona on a Sunday morning ?

Mull to Iona ferry timetable shows plenty of Sunday sailings. Assuming you are using public transport, the more interesting one is whether the Craignure-Fionnphort buses run as there's only one bus a day in each direction on Sundays and it doesn't look to be at brilliantly helpful times to go to Iona.

Today, just a short one, at 1pm, I managed to go to a Kirk in London.

http://www.crowncourtchurch.org.uk/

It's a lovely one and really nice people and excellent preaching !

It's long way from where I live, but today I had the time to go !

quote:
I am thinking of attending the Elizabeth Melville Day service in St Giles on 21 June.

Elizabeth Melville's flagstone will be unveiled in the morning, and
"In the evening, in the High Kirk of St Giles, the choral ensemble Sang Scule will give a concert entitled Ane Mid-simmar Nichts Godlie Dreame, featuring all five of Melville's songs, embedded in a sequence of psalm-paraphrases by George Buchanan, Alexander Montgomerie and James Melville, post-Reformation church music by Lady Culross's contemporary Jhone Angus of Dunfermline, and framed by audience-sung metrical psalms - Ps.124 "Nou Israel may say", Ps.23 "The Lord is only my support" to the tune "Culross", and Ps.2, with all its warnings to the kings and judges of the earth. Texts and music will be provided!"

I really like the sound of this! Any other Shipmates interested? Maybe a possible Shipmeet?

The updated plan for Elizabeth Melville Day is here Germaine Greer and Meg Bateman will both be at the St Giles Concert.

Yesterday in a (pre-planned) moment of madness, one of my friends and I cycled round some of Loch Katrine on a Tandem. It is beautiful, and not to hilly, but doing it on a tandem, added to the adventure!

There's a perfectly good road around at least some of Loch Katrine, I've not been all the way around so can't comment on the whole circuit.

A good few years ago I took the train to Bridge of Orchy and walked south a bit along the old military road before heading up Allt Kinglass towards Loch Lyon to tackle Beinn a'Chreachain the following day. I pitched tent just beyond the end of the farm track, and while cooking supper I was surprised to observe a group of mountain bikers coming down from the higher ground I was going to head up the next day. Nothing odd about that, except two of them were on a tandem. Off road biking on a tandem must quite a ride!

Yeah, off-roading a tandem sounds a bit hair-raising. I've been on my Dad's tandem a few times and every now and again look into adding one to the bicycle stable. I like the way that heads turn and that you don't lose your riding companion in traffic or on hills. But proper mountain biking? That sounds like you'd need exceptional trust and teamwork between the pilot and stoker, even more so than riding on the paved and made-up surfaces I've experienced.

Maybe this will be the summer that I finally take the plunge. We shall see.

General Assembly starts tomorrow. Pray for us. [Votive]

I was sure I posted yesterday that I was praying, Cottontail, but it seems not. Anyway, I am.

And I did take the plunge, now I just need to get it up to me from Norwich. Working out a plan will be this weekend's logistical challenge.

The plunge of buying a tandem? [Eek!] Happy cycling, and health to enjoy it! [Smile]

It looks as if you're going to get some nice cycling weather - my niece posted a picture on Facebook of my sister eating lunch outside the House of Bruar en route to Orkney, and I have to confess to quite a large stab of envy.

Does your list of potential logistic solutions include riding it up from Norwich?

Thank you, To The Pain. The first day passed off okay. Wednesday will be the difficult one.

And yay for your tandem adventures. [Smile]

Posted by Tulfes (# 18000) on :

Re the London walk thread elsewhere, would anyone be up for a Glasgow walk? I was thinking of Tinto hill in Lanarkshire. Not too difficult (achievable by non-hillwalkers). Or any other suggestions eg Dumgoyne hill, West Highland way Milngavie to Beech Tree Inn, around Loch Katrine, Greenock Cut, Arran (climb Goat Fell), walk around Cumbrae (aka Millport). Etc.

[ 17. May 2014, 21:43: Message edited by: Tulfes ]

It has been a long time since we had a walking meet - we went up the Cobbler on that occasion.

Probably the logistics of getting to an island would make staying on the mainland a bit more doable. Something like Tinto, which is a few hours up and down, gives time for people to get there if they're not relatively close and time for a lunch or dinner as well (including for those who may not want to walk but want to meet).

I'd like to do the Milngavie to Beech Tree Inn walk. The logistics of getting to Arran or Cumbrae would defeat me, but I am one of the further-flung shipmates.

This is probably of zero interest to anyone, but I'm keen to do the Glasgow Women's Library Women's History Walks. I've done the Merchant City one, but there are several others. I have the full set of leaflets.

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Probably the logistics of getting to an island would make staying on the mainland a bit more doable. Something like Tinto, which is a few hours up and down, gives time for people to get there if they're not relatively close and time for a lunch or dinner as well (including for those who may not want to walk but want to meet).

I'd be up for that, wife and child permitting.

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:

I'd be up for that, wife and child permitting.
Tonto is very doable by suitable for children from about 9 upwards. For younger children there is the Dumpling at Gartocharn (southern side of Loch Lomond, easily accessible from Glasgow conurbation). Very easy climb (I've heard of 5 year olds enjoying it) with a grassy bit at the top for a picnic and spectacular views of the southern loch and islands. This would be a good walk if under 9s are coming along.

quote:
This is probably of zero interest to anyone, but I'm keen to do the Glasgow Women's Library Women's History Walks. I've done the Merchant City one, but there are several others. I have the full set of leaflets.

That's of quite a lot of interest to me, actually! [Smile]

I've climbed Tinto sooooo many times during my youth. It was a favourite destination for Sunday School sponsored walks! My niece climbed it aged 5, though she was toiling quite a bit by the end. It's a long haul, but not actually difficult if you have the stamina.

quote:
quote:

That's of quite a lot of interest to me, actually! [Smile]

I'd also be interested, but due to work am unlikely to make a weekend meet.

A walk up a hill or round a loch would be best though, as everyone could enjoy it.

quote:
Does your list of potential logistic solutions include riding it up from Norwich?

I did actually look into how long that would take, but neither Callanish nor myself have the leave to spare. Then I suggested that our friends/relatives/shipmates up and down the country could do half an hour or so each and pass it on in an extended relay that might reach us by Christmas!

Plan is now to get my Dad to pick it up (possibly with a short stay with a friend in Norwich if the seller can't keep it until he can get there) and take it to Hertfordshire and Callanish and I to pay a flying visit one weekend in June with a roof rack in reserve in case we can't get it inside the car along with our two bodies.

Cottontail - I'll keep up the prayers and hope that Wednesday goes well.

Posted by Wet Kipper (# 1654) on :

quote:
Originally posted by To The Pain:
[QUOTE]Then I suggested that our friends/relatives/shipmates up and down the country could do half an hour or so each and pass it on in an extended relay

Another forum I frequent has a system like this, known as the "underground railway"

Well, the day passed off, and it could have been worse.

GA vote

Thank you for prayers.

I've just heard about this awful news.

D. and I have had a fixation with the work of Charles Rennie Mackintosh for about 20 years, and whenever we get the chance, we go to Glasgow and either just stand gazing at the building, or do one of the tours.

What a tragedy - that building is a National Treasure.

[Waterworks]

The BBC is reporting that 90% of the structure of the Art School is "viable" and that "up to" 70% of the contents have been saved. No injury or loss of life. We should be thankful. It seems that the fire fighters have done a tremendous job.

The report in the Daily Telegraph included quotes from a couple of the GSA students, who pointed out that at this time of year they're preparing work for their final exhibitions, much of which will have been lost.

[Votive]

Posted by Lucia (# 15201) on :

I see the UK government is promising a significant contribution towards rebuilding.

When I told my husband this he asked if we get a refund if Scotland leaves the UK...

[ 24. May 2014, 13:56: Message edited by: Lucia ]

We're going up to Glasgow and Oban in the train tonight, to sleep! And I do hope it will be sunny and dry in Oban and Iona all our week.
I have enjoyed being there often a long times ago and my family are being there for the first time! I hope they like it too.

This time in a fortnight we'll be packing for Orkney! [Yipee]

Unfortunately I will think of my boss every time I see his name on that road sign near Loch of Isbister... [Snigger]

AG

Well it was sunny and glorious on Iona yesterday and this morning, but it's pretty dull, albeit dry, waiting for the delayed ferry to Oban from Craignure.

Posted by mrs whibley (# 4798) on :

quote:
This time in a fortnight we'll be packing for Orkney! [Yipee]

Unfortunately I will think of my boss every time I see his name on that road sign near Loch of Isbister... [Snigger]

AG

We'll be there the week before you then. We'll try to save you some weather!

I know the weather forecast for tomorrow is that this sunny spell is due to break into storms and rain.

I saw daisymay in the Oban ferry waiting room, waiting for our delayed ferry to take its return journey.

I see that Embra has trams at last! Has anyone travelled on them and has the city returned to normal after having the main street torn up for years?

quote:
... I will think of my boss every time I see his name on that road sign near Loch of Isbister...

You don't mean this sign do you? [Killing me]

Me? Envious? You bet I am. Have a great time and give the old place a wave from me (we'll be over at the beginning of September).

[Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
I see that Embra has trams at last! Has anyone travelled on them and has the city returned to normal after having the main street torn up for years?

The roadworks finished a while ago. Apparently the first runnings were thronged with tram spotters. A FB friend was on - but said it was so crowded, and no A/C, that she got off 3 stops early.

I'd forgotten the reported bother with the trams going in, and didn't immediately notice that difference from a few visits to Embra pre-offspring, then double took the cables and tracks and remembered. (We were there last Sunday/Monday and this Saturday around a wander out to Oban, Kerrera, Mull/Tobermory - including a boat trip to Lunga and Staffa - and Iona. I'm even more in love with puffins.)

However, party culture in Embra on a Saturday night is going good and strong.

[ 01. June 2014, 12:57: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

quote:
You don't mean this sign do you?

Whatever makes you think that, piglet? [Devil]

We couldn't find the single sign when we were there - I suspect that it was the one I saw under the arm of one of a hen party getting on a coach as we arrived in Kirkwall!

Anywhere in particular you'd like waved to?

AG

Kirkwall generally (where I grew up), and St. Magnus Cathedral in particular (where D. used to be the organist, I sang in the choir and we were married).

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
... I'm even more in love with puffins ...

You ought to come over here - the puffin is our provincial bird. [Smile]

edited for typnig

[ 02. June 2014, 03:09: Message edited by: piglet ]

quote:
Kirkwall generally (where I grew up), and St. Magnus Cathedral in particular (where D. used to be the organist, I sang in the choir and we were married).

Consider it done!

AG

Posted by Celtic Knotweed (# 13008) on :

quote:
quote:

Consider it done!

AG

Extra excuses to go wander around St. Magnus Cathedral gladly accepted! Last time we managed to go on a tour of the roof - wonderful views and a chance to see the ringing set-up (quite a bit different to anywhere else in the UK).

D. used to be one of the Cathedral bell-ringers and I went up the tower with him once when he was ringing - even with ear-muffs it was jolly noisy!

The "method" they use is quite clever - it starts off very slowly with just a few bongs per minute and gradually gets faster and faster. I lived just about quarter of a mile up the road, and before I joined the choir, I'd hear them from about halfway down and could tell how fast I had to walk so as not to be late. [Big Grin]

Tomorrow I head up to the North Coast with my parents. I've packed among other things packed suncream and a vest! Hopefully we shall have some nice weather, I can always be optimistic.

If it's anything like here at the moment, waterproofs, fleece, and an inflatable boat might be advisable.

I'll say. Just back from a rather warm northern Germany into utterly dreich Scotland. Difficult to imagine night before last I was dining outdoors.

Posted by Yangtze (# 4965) on :

I'm going to be in Edinburgh 17-20 June and then at Solas over the weekend.

Thought I'd see here first if anyone is likely to be around and would like to meet up before starting a proper Meet thread.

(Also, it's just struck me that if anyone's driving from Edinburgh to Solas and would have a spare pace in their car that might be handy.)

We had a lovely time in Mull - just one day it was very wet. I've just got home now. I have loved the blue sky when that came. And there were thousands of white sheep all around us.

Yangtze, we're heading to Solas and may have space, but from Livingston rather than Edinburgh. Let us know if that would be any use. Not sure meeting up pre-Solas will work, but we'll see you there [Smile]

Yangtze, I could possibly meet up for lunch on either the 18th or 19th (I think) - can't do evenings, but lunch is good as it means I get to avoid rush hour with the pushchair. If we go to Solas it will be on the Sunday only (but if the weather is rubbish the chances of wimping out are quite high!).

Posted by Yangtze (# 4965) on :

Yay Derf, will be good to meet you.

JtL - I could come to you, let's chat offship.

Unfortunately I'm not around that weekend. Sorry to miss you.

It was very nice in Mull and Iona. In Iona we went up to the MacLean one - it's very ancient and lovely to see all sorts inside it and also look down from the top !
How can I show pictures? I have lots of sunny ones...

Posted by Jenny Ann (# 3131) on :

Hello there - looking for a little information/advice.

If you were travelling (driving) from St Andrews to Manchester (ish) and wanted to stop off for a night, where would you stop?

We won't be setting off from St Andrews until 3/4ish so not looking to 'do' anything on the day we arrive, but will have some of the next day (a Monday) to explore a bit.

I was thinking maybe somewhere around Dumfries, this is a natural halfway (ish) point, but I know nothing about the area at all.

We're not into huge walks at the moment, but poking around a castle would be excellent.

Thanks in advance,

Jen

If you were following the eastern route - M90 - Edinburgh bypass - A702 - M74 - Carlisle might be doable. It's quite an interesting town, with castle and a good bit of altstadt. Or, short of that, there's Moffat. Or, if you're leaving late, Biggar. Very picturesque little place, but with enough in the way of hotels and restaurants.

I think we'll go the western route as we're going up the Eastern side (via Lindesfarne). We've stopped at moffat before, but Carlisle might be possible.

Thanks!

[ 01. July 2014, 09:37: Message edited by: Jenny Ann ]

You are coming right through my part of the world! [Smile]

If you come via the A702 and the M74, which as Firenze says is the most obvious route, I'm afraid there is not much by way of castles down here. Carlisle has one, and a very nice cathedral too. There is also a lovely castle and nature reserve at Caerlaverock on the Solway coast about 13 miles out of Dumfries. This is a little bit out of your way, though - Dumfries is not really an obvious stop-off place on your way south if you only have limited time.

So no castles there, but I second the recommendation of Moffat. The attraction here is the scenery - the Devil's Beef Tub, and a few miles along the Selkirk road, the Grey Mare's Tail waterfall. Further down the M74 is Lockerbie: there are a few nice hotels around here, so PM me if you want details. There is a lovely little nature reserve at Lockerbie for you to poke about in and look for red squirrels, and an interesting Ukrainian chapel. Just down the road is Ecclefechan with a National Trust property - the home of Thomas Carlisle. Close to Ecclefechan is Hoddom Castle - you can't get into the castle itself, but there are some lovely riverside walks that are open to everyone. You could also take a look at Repentance Tower, which is a castle of sorts!

This is not a dramatic part of Scotland, but it is lovely and gentle scenery. I hope you enjoy your stop-off.

Thank you so much cottontail and Firenze!

I'd like to see Lockerbie and change its associations in my head. Cottontail, I'll PM you.

Jen

The Ukrainian chapel is well worth a look (it is quite bonkers, but surprisingly moving). Dumfries is a bit out of the way, which is a shame as the whole far south-west of Scotland is beautiful, IMO - I had to spend a bit of time there a couple of years ago for work, and was looking at the scenery as I drove and thinking that in its own way it was every bit as beautiful as the Highlands, but so unknown. What I did find though was that it took absolutely flippin' ages to get anywhere, much longer than I expected, as none of the roads are that quick, even the A roads. So I think I would go there as a destination in its own right sometime, rather than somewhere to have a quick meander/stop-off.

I am going to Dundee, by train, and bus to Blairgowrie - where there used to be a train to Dundee but not now.
I do hope it will be dry and sunny as I am there just all the few days.

quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
The Ukrainian chapel is well worth a look (it is quite bonkers, but surprisingly moving). Dumfries is a bit out of the way, which is a shame as the whole far south-west of Scotland is beautiful, IMO - I had to spend a bit of time there a couple of years ago for work, and was looking at the scenery as I drove and thinking that in its own way it was every bit as beautiful as the Highlands, but so unknown. What I did find though was that it took absolutely flippin' ages to get anywhere, much longer than I expected, as none of the roads are that quick, even the A roads. So I think I would go there as a destination in its own right sometime, rather than somewhere to have a quick meander/stop-off.

Totally agreed on all counts. The Ukrainian chapel is indeed both bonkers and moving, and has a very dodgy history to boot: their own historical notes admit that the chapel was created by former SS officers who could not return to Ukraine after the war. Though they were forced to be in the SS, they say. Murky times. [Ultra confused]

But Dumfries and Galloway is truly beautiful. I used to live over towards Newton Stewart. The area has mountains, oak forests, beaches, lochs, castles, botanical gardens, ancient prehistoric sites, salmon fishing, forest parks, gourmet food ... all absolutely stunning. And most tourists just zoom past on their way up to the Highlands. I want to put up a sign at the English border saying, 'Turn left!'

A bit short on distilleries though. Just Bladnoch as far as I recall.

quote:
A bit short on distilleries though. Just Bladnoch as far as I recall.

A difficult dram to take seriously, with inescapable overtones of Major Denis Bloodnok (of the Goon Show, for foreigners and the very young).

ST, I think the 'very young' in this instance = 'under 50'.

And it's a perfectly good malt.

Older than that - I'm 52 and I only really remember the Goons from repeats, although it may have been that I was just never beside a radio at the right time.

ST is using "very young" in the same way as my church congregation, where anyone under fifty is indeed, very young by comparison.

Our church Young Wives Group used to have a rule that when your first child started secondary school, you were no longer a "Young Wife." This rule was abandoned due to lack of members with small children. There was a brief discussion as to whether someone could continue to be a "Young Wife" once their eldest grandchild started secondary school, and we decided they could.

In our church you are "young" up to the point of collecting your Old Age Pension.

Presbyterianism - a veritable Fountain of Youth.

Posted by Polly Plummer (# 13354) on :

I absolutely loved the Goons: the day after the programme my school friends and I talked of little else. We thought they made the most brilliant comedy ever.

Hearing them again recently on Radio 4 Extra has been a terrible disappointment - as with most of the comedy programmes I used to like.

We were the same with I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again and made a point of listening both Sunday lunchtime and Monday evening - the second time to hear the jokes we missed the first time round because we were laughing so hard! Lady Constance de Coverlet was such a rich fantasy figure.

[Eek!]

Ooouuugherrwah! You naughty boy!

Yes the trouble is that some programmes worked so well for us when we were children or adolescents because the humour was childish or immature.

The one that has stood the test of time IMO is Round the Horne. That was adult humour in several senses of the word.

I have absolutely no idea what any of you are talking about.

Cottontail: Not Just Presbyterian Young [Two face]

quote:
In our church you are "young" up to the point of collecting your Old Age Pension.

In our, also not Presbyterian, church you are young for as long as you want to be.

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

quote:
quote:

In our, also not Presbyterian, church you are young for as long as you want to be.
Uhm Alan

We are not "not Presbyterian" we are Reformed and Presbyterianism is a subset of Reformed. Congregationalist, some Baptists, Huguenots, Waldensians and Dutch Reformed are other subsets of Reformed.

Indeed we have two Presbyterian strands as the Congregational Church of England had a decided inheritance from English Presbyterianism as well as English Separatists.

Jengie

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:

We are not "not Presbyterian" we are Reformed and Presbyterianism is a subset of Reformed. Congregationalist, some Baptists, Huguenots, Waldensians and Dutch Reformed are other subsets of Reformed.

I now have Aretha Franklin singing in my head 'Young, REformed and Back'. Behind her are a bopping group of beehived Waldensians, while Jumpin' Jean Calvin takes it away on keyboards.

quote:
Uhm Alan

And, where do what used to be Churches of Christ (which is the tradition my congregation came from) or the Scottish Congregational (the tradition for the other URC in town) fit in? Particularly in the context of a town with several definite Presbyterian churches - Church of Scotland and "wee free".

I was just talking about one small congregation, not the whole URC.

Its an off shoot of the Cof S what more do you want?

Jengie

With some very distinctive differences from the CofS. Weekly Communion and believers baptism are not common in the kirk for a start.

Those come from a nineteenth century movement within the CofS and led to their eventual split.

Jengie

Posted by Ye Olde Motherboarde (# 54) on :

6 NATIONAL KISSING DAY !

Who's up for a good kiss today in Scotland?

Wrong guess at century but here is the info.

The list of those in favour of weekly communion within the Reformed tradition is headed by
John Calvin and John Knox. It is sometimes useful to remember our practice has fallen short of the ideals of our theologians.

Jengie

[ 06. July 2014, 20:34: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

Members of what were Churches of Christ in Scotland may have been aware of their Presbyterian heritage. But, as far as I know, did not consider themselves to be Presbyterian, any more than Methodists consider themselves to be Anglican.

quote:
Originally posted by Ye Olde Motherboarde:
6 NATIONAL KISSING DAY !

Who's up for a good kiss today in Scotland?

How come I only read this on the 7th? [Waterworks]

Partly due to the information not being posted until quite late at night. It was certainly after I went to bed (but, that was an early night ... something to do with having woken up in Tokyo and spent a lot of time on airplanes inbetween).

quote:
Members of what were Churches of Christ in Scotland may have been aware of their Presbyterian heritage. But, as far as I know, did not consider themselves to be Presbyterian, any more than Methodists consider themselves to be Anglican.

The Methodist relationship with Anglicanism is interesting. Basically, I suspect if the Methodist had tried for a merger with the URC in the last twenty years it would have happened. It has not happened because they are more interested in a relationship with Anglicanism. In other words the family connection is still important at least in the UK.

So to the Churches of Christ, they may not identify as Presbyterian but it is their heritage. By the way have you ever checked the full name of the Churches of Christ when they came in. Given this heritage I suspect that the use of that word is not accidental.

Jengie

[ 07. July 2014, 08:56: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

quote:
So to the Churches of Christ, they may not identify as Presbyterian but it is their heritage.

Which is, I think, what I'd originally said. My congregation, URC, former Churches of Christ, does not identify as Presbyterian.

quote:
By the way have you ever checked the full name of the Churches of Christ when they came in. Given this heritage I suspect that the use of that word is not accidental.
According to Wikipedia, having found the URC website to not give that much background detail, it was the Reformed Association of Churches of Christ in Great Britain. Which doesn't say very much, ISTM. Except they identified as Reformed, but Reformed is broader than just Presbyterian. I also notice that the first Churches of Christ in the UK in Nottingham, 1836, was formed by Baptists.

Alan

You are arguing they are not Reformed I am simply arguing they are. I pulled out their Presbyterian heritage because it establishes their Reformed credentials.

Jengie

[ 07. July 2014, 10:01: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

No, I'm arguing that a church within the URC is Reformed but does not identify as Presbyterian. At what point have I even suggested we are not Reformed?

You are claiming stronger than that, you are denying the Presbyterian Heritage and saying we are NOT Presbyterian. The correct stance both/and not because we do not call ourselves Presbyterian we are not Presbyterian.

See example of Methodism above, they may not identify as Anglican but Anglican patrimony still holds a major part of their identity. So it is with URC there is Presbyterian patrimony in the all strands that came together. For instance we still paint our buildings Presbyterian blue more often than the CofS.

Jengie

[ 07. July 2014, 10:55: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

quote:
So it is with URC there is Presbyterian patrimony in the all strands that came together. For instance we still paint our buildings Presbyterian blue more often than the CofS.

Yes, of course there is Presbyterian patrimony in the URC. But, that patrimony was much older, and significantly altered in practice, within the Congregational and Churches of Christ prior to joining the URC. To simply assert because somewhere in the distant past Presbyterians, disaffected in some way with Presbyterian one assumes, were involved in founding the Churches of Christ and Congregational Churches that later joined to form the URC is to denigrate the history and traditions of those strands in the URC. Congregational churches, for example, often chose to be identified as Independent precisely to avoid being seen as Presbyterian. It is almost as though you are trying to re-write history and claim the URC is just Presbyterian, even though some churches in the URC had failed to notice that.

And, it's an approach that is potentially problematic as it really begs the question "what is the difference between the URC and Presbyterian churches?" There are substantial differences, otherwise the Presbyterians would have been less resistive to union a few years back. Perhaps where the URC churches have a stronger, clearly identified Presbyterian background and there are no other Presbyterian churches around that wouldn't matter. In Scotland, where none of the URC churches were originally clearly identified as Presbyterian and there are several Presbyterian denominations, including the national kirk, that identification of "URC = Presbyterian" you appear to be making is less helpful.

And, one other thing I forgot to add. Our church isn't painted blue.

Alan

I am objecting to the "NOT". We are a UNITED church and a united church is of all the traditions that came into it. The use of "NOT" says to our former Presbyterian members that they are not part of URC.

We are Churches of Christ, we are Congregational but we are also Presbyterian.

Jengie

Forgive my ignorance, but what shade of blue is "Presbyterian blue"?

We have a pulpit fall in blue, with the burning bush symbol, and I'm wondering if this is "Presbyterian blue"? Our pulpit fall is roughly the same blue as the "G" in the Google logo.

What is the history of "Presbyterian blue"?

quote:
I am objecting to the "NOT". We are a UNITED church and a united church is of all the traditions that came into it. The use of "NOT" says to our former Presbyterian members that they are not part of URC.

We are Churches of Christ, we are Congregational but we are also Presbyterian.

Yes, the URC is a United church. It is the sum of the traditions that united to form the church, and to form union we had to give up parts of those traditions - though I believe that what was gained was greater than what was given up. That means that we are more than any one of those traditions. It also means that our "presbyterianism" is less than that of the founding Presbyterian churches.

Presbyterian churches could have decided to remain Presbyterian, and many did. Those that joined the URC decided to become something different, they retained much of their tradition enriched by the tradition of others, but they changed from Presbyterian to United Reformed. The same, of course, is the case for Congregational churches and Churches of Christ.

My experience of the URC in England and Wales is not very substantial. But, in Scotland the individual congregations still retain much of the flavour and practice of their pre-union denomination. Which isn't really all that surprising since it's only been a bit over 20y since union in most cases. And, of course, none of those congregations were originally Presbyterian.

[frivolity alert ON]
quote:
... what shade of blue is "Presbyterian blue"? ...

St. Magnus Cathedral, the (CofS) Presbyterian church where we were married isn't blue at all - it's red-and-yellow sandstone - the only blue I can think of is on the signs showing where the wheelchair access is.

The present incumbent wears a blue cassock, as did his predecessor - although that may have been because he was an avid Cowdenbeath supporter [Biased] . The minister who married us wore a scarlet one, because he was a Queen's Chaplain.

Maybe Presbyterian blue is the dark-blue of the Ford Fiestas that used to be standard-issue from 121 George Street ... [Big Grin]
[/frivolity alert OFF]

quote:
[frivolity alert ON]
quote:
... what shade of blue is "Presbyterian blue"? ...

St. Magnus Cathedral, the (CofS) Presbyterian church where we were married isn't blue at all - it's red-and-yellow sandstone - the only blue I can think of is on the signs showing where the wheelchair access is.

The present incumbent wears a blue cassock, as did his predecessor - although that may have been because he was an avid Cowdenbeath supporter [Biased] . The minister who married us wore a scarlet one, because he was a Queen's Chaplain.

Maybe Presbyterian blue is the dark-blue of the Ford Fiestas that used to be standard-issue from 121 George Street ... [Big Grin]
[/frivolity alert OFF]

Maybe it's this blue.

[Eek!]

[Frown]

[Projectile]

Oh my goodness. Scz tried to describe it to me, but didn't even begin to do justice to the awfulness.

Posted by kingsfold (# 1726) on :

As has already been tweeted:

Made in Scotland from curtains

Shower curtains at that.

quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
... Made in Scotland from curtains

[Killing me]

I can only assume that the designer was colour-blind - I mean who on earth would put that sort of blue with that sort of green?

[Help]

I went to a church "Evangelical" in the evening - it was the only one that had evening service.

For those who do not know Presbyterian Blue is a light shade of Royal Blue.

Jengie

In other news, maybe this year will be baby panda year?

That poor panda, having all the details of her every reproductive hormone broadcast to the whole world!

I have just had a haggis rowie. It was sublime!

By "rowie" do you mean what a foreigner like me would call a buttery?

If so, I'm deeply envious (and salivating at the thought of an Aberdeen buttery, warmed under the grill with a little extra butter melting into it), but not sure about the haggis. Not that I don't like haggis - I love it once in a while, and have even been known to make my own - but the combination is - um - interesting ...

[Confused]

We had haggis in Dundee and Blairgowrie and my family really enjoy it !

It was also really nice and warm to walk up the hills, all around and along the rivers.

Also in Blairgowrie I found a place up the top where maybe another time I can bring a tent to camp there.

And I always still watch the haggis on the computer, which does not have them now but has many nice places of Scotland to see.

Yup, a haggis buttery, piglet. For lunch, warm, with a fried egg on top. It was glorious!

Posted by Heavenly Anarchist (# 13313) on :

quote:
Yup, a haggis buttery, piglet. For lunch, warm, with a fried egg on top. It was glorious!

I've just looked up a recipe for a buttery and am now eyeing up the dough in my breadmaker and wondering if my arteries are up to it! It's a pity I haven't got any haggis in, because it sounds great with an egg on top.

quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
... I've just looked up a recipe for a buttery and am now eyeing up the dough in my breadmaker ...

Ooh ... don't tempt me!

I'd never get away with it - D's never lived in Aberdeen and doesn't understand my predilection for butteries.

Strangely enough, the only time I've gone on a diet that worked was when I was a student in Aberdeen and I began every day with a hot toasted buttery ... [Cool]

[ 14. July 2014, 14:50: Message edited by: piglet ]

http://haggishunt.scotsman.com/camera.cfm?camera=10

Maybe just to see what later has fun to try and win, it still is nice to see now all sorts of places in Scotland. And I enjoy the St Andrews as I was at university there.

quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
quote:

I've just looked up a recipe for a buttery and am now eyeing up the dough in my breadmaker and wondering if my arteries are up to it! It's a pity I haven't got any haggis in, because it sounds great with an egg on top.
As soon as I call my sister to let her know I am safely off the plane and choking on the tobacco smoke outside Glasgow airport, one of my first questions is, "Did you get the butteries?" By the time I get to Stonehaven my life and happiness depend on a bag of fresh butteries, a jar of Marmite, and a pot of coffee. I haven't tried them with haggis, and I probably won't. They haven't been the same since the health zealots brought lard into disrepute and increased life expectancy in the North East, but I still dream about them from afar.

Incidentally, did you know that butteries are related to traditional croissants as found in rural Québec? We were once in l'Annonciation, a long drive north west of Montreal, and were told we should buy croissants at the bakery there. If you bit into one and closed your eyes, you could almost smell the Aberdeen fish market in the early hours of the morning. I hope God uses the old recipe in Heaven.

What did people think of the opening ceremony of the commonwealth games? I was near pacific quay, and the fireworks were amazing.

Posted by kingsfold (# 1726) on :

I heard the fireworks on Mon night during the rehearsal (which given I was trying to sleep made me a bit grumpy).

But I slept through it last night and didn't see or hear any of it. Literally - I'm on an early shift at the moment so need to be in bed that early....

But I love the idea of the Scottie dogs leading the teams out and the pictures of them.

[ 24. July 2014, 08:50: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

I thought I was going to catch the last hour of it on one of the CBC channels (the "channel guide" said it was still running), but they were showing some cr*ppy drama series. [Mad]

I saw a picture of the Scottie dogs on the BBC World news bulletin, and thought, "aaahhh!"

Gold for Hannah Miley!!

I'm paying a lightning trip to Glasgow to see a certain North East Loon at the Kelvingrove bandstand on Thursday.

The Scottish Review

Enjoyed this online article. Can anyone identify the village?

[edited to remove scroll lock]

[ 30. July 2014, 16:36: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posted by PeteC (# 10422) on :

Have you never seen someone using URL and thus avoiding breaking the scroll lock?

quote:
I'm paying a lightning trip to Glasgow to see a certain North East Loon at the Kelvingrove bandstand on Thursday.

Give him a cheer from us - we loved the book!

quote:
Originally posted by Tulfes:
The Scottish Review

Enjoyed this online article. Can anyone identify the village?

[edited to remove scroll lock]

Sounds like Barrhill. I used to catch the train there to Glasgow when I lived over in Galloway. Up on a moor, miles from anywhere. The village is pretty poor, but the landscape is lovely. [Smile]

Thanks, S.T.! The rain started bucketing down half way through, but we still enjoyed it.

I'd agree the mysterious village is Barrhill. I'm a bit confused by the "you may have to change at Ayr" as only one line goes through Ayr (unless you're on a train which terminates at Ayr and have to change to a through train to Stranraer, I suppose).

Barrhill has a New Cemetery, between the train station and Barrhill itself, but it does have an Old Cemetery, too.

The gravestone inscriptions have been transcribed, and this slim booklet currently ranks 7, 499, 359th in Amazon's best-seller list.

I was puzzled by the change at Ayr reference too. I think it refers to the fact that most trains from the Glasgow direction terminate at Ayr, with only a few proceeding south to Girvan, Barrhill and Stranraer (there used to be stations at New Luce and Dunragit). So you need to change at Ayr to reach Barrhill unless you happen to be on one of the Stranraer bound trains.

Barrhill Old Cemetery apparently has a memorial to two Covenanters, which was erected in 1685, renewed in 1787, and re-erected in 1825.

The verse on it reads:

Here in this place two martyrs lie
Whose blood to Heaven hath a loud cry
Murder'd contrary to divine laws
For owning of King Jesus laws
By bloody Drummond they were shot
Without any trial near this spot.

Now I want to visit Barrhill, just to see the Covenanters memorial. Cottontail, have you seen it? Is it splendid? Or dark, mossy and atmospheric?

Whoops! Don't get me started on the Covenanters. Strange things happen in my soul when people start on Covenanters ...

I've never seen the memorial at Barrhill, I'm afraid, though there are a few others around. Have you visited the one to the Two Margarets at Wigtown? There is also a gravestone to the men killed in the same raid (?) in Wigtown churchyard, though they were hung as opposed to drowned like the women.

I also know the one to John Hunter at the Devil's Beeftub at Moffat, and Allan's Cairn near St John's Town of Dalry, which I passed while walking the Southern Upland Way. Then there is one outside Sanquhar where they hold a memorial service every year - my grandmother talked about attending it as a young woman, so it has gone on for a long time.

I have no direct connection that I know of, but this is my part of the world, and I grew up reading about the Covenanters and being fed tales by my grandmother. (Hunter is a family name as well, and John Hunter is coincidently buried in the same churchyard as my great grandparents.) So I get very protective of the Covenanters, and famously became furious during an undergraduate theology lecture when the very learned professor dismissed them as a bunch of fanatics. (I believe I denounced him ... though not in his hearing ... as a 'bloody Edinburgh Whig'. [Eek!] ) These are my people!

*sings*
Now Israel may say, and that truly,
if that the Lord had not our cause maintained ...

[ 02. August 2014, 23:09: Message edited by: Cottontail ]

I'm hoping to see the Two Margarets one at Wigtown later this year!

Have you tried to link back to John Hunter? Not that I think it would be possible, but if you traced your Hunter line far enough back, and they were in the right area, it would be all grist to your Covenanting mill.

There's a memorial in Deerness, in Orkney, to a ship-load of Covenanters who were shipwrecked off the coast en route to slavery in America.

I finally organised myself enough to put these photos up from May of our visit to Scotland, Edinburgh, Oban, Kerrera, Mull, Lunga, Staffa and Iona.

Lovely photos, CK - especially the puffins and the sunset. [Smile]

I was already in love with puffins, they play with sailing dinghies in Poole Harbour, so Lunga was amazing.

quote:

Which reminded me of a 17th century prayer (quoted in Chacksfield's biography of the Drummond brothers) "From the ire of the Drummonds, Good Lord, deliver us".

quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
quote:

Which reminded me of a 17th century prayer (quoted in Chacksfield's biography of the Drummond brothers) "From the ire of the Drummonds, Good Lord, deliver us".
My old copy of Wilson's Tales of the Borders had a Covenanting story prefaced by the following:

The Deil and Dalziel begin wi ane letter;
the Deil's nae guid, and Dalziel's nae better!

This was Thomas Dalziel** of the Binns, a.k.a. Bluidy Tam, ruthless hunter of Covenanters who - according to scurrilous legend - liked to play cards with the devil! And there could even be some truth to the legend. [Ultra confused]

* 'The devil and Dalziel begin with one letter;
the devil's no good, and Dalziel's no better.'

** pronounced 'Dee-ell'

quote:
... pronounced 'Dee-ell'

We're Scottish - you think we don't know how to pronounce "Dalziel"? [Devil]

Actually, now I think about it, since the BBC's screening of Dalziel and Pascoe, maybe our southerly friends can pronounce it too ... [Big Grin]

quote:
quote:
... pronounced 'Dee-ell'

We're Scottish - you think we don't know how to pronounce "Dalziel"? [Devil]

Actually, now I think about it, since the BBC's screening of Dalziel and Pascoe, maybe our southerly friends can pronounce it too ... [Big Grin]

There's more than just us Scots (or Brits) read this thread. [Razz]

That, obviously, is my learning for the day - I didn't know the Scots pronunciation.

[Hot and Hormonal]

That rhyme was in the Dalziel and Pascoe books too, at the beginning to tell readers how to pronounce it

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

Anyone who lives near Forres, please keep an eye out for Tess, missing Guide dog.

Tess, missing guide dog

Missing Tess has been all over Facebook here.

Sorry, hit send too soon. There's been massive coverage of Tess going missing, it's been in the papers, and on the radio and STV news.

Poor Tess and her owner! I hope they're reunited soon.

quote:
We're Scottish - you think we don't know how to pronounce "Dalziel"?

I believe they may struggle in Basingstoke.

AG

[Killing me]

That was very funny. [Devil]

Lovely Aberdeen accent though - I've a friend who sounds just like Mr. Duguid, but not so cross. [Big Grin]

Speaking from the central belt here, but constantly shocked reading of road traffic fatalities in Aberdeenshire and the north east generally. Are the numbers disproportionate? If so, why? I suppose it might be blamed on lack of motorways but lots of areas of Scotland lack good motorways eg Ayrshire only has a bit of M77 and the rest of the county (north, east and south) is a mix of poor A and B roads. Ditto Dumfries and Galloway. Does the relative prosperity of the NE encourage youngsters onto the road with too little driving experience? Why are the people up there not demanding proper comparison with other areas, maybe a public inquiry and some action?

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

A dog matching TESS has been spotted at the NAIRN DUMBAR GOLF CLUB

GD staff are at the golf course. Dog warden is on the case too.

Joss is taking a walk with Fraser around the area and he is going to try calling her and using his whistle.

I wonder if she was taken, but then someone has released her due to the huge media campaigne - too hot to handle?

Come on Tess - find your way home - you have done it many times!

[Frown] [Votive]

Glad you liked it! I believe it's quite well known, but funny enough to be revisited.

Expressing comic exasperation by going "ChEsus!" has for some reason caught on round our house...

AG

quote:
Speaking from the central belt here, but constantly shocked reading of road traffic fatalities in Aberdeenshire and the north east generally. Are the numbers disproportionate? If so, why? I suppose it might be blamed on lack of motorways but lots of areas of Scotland lack good motorways eg Ayrshire only has a bit of M77 and the rest of the county (north, east and south) is a mix of poor A and B roads. Ditto Dumfries and Galloway. Does the relative prosperity of the NE encourage youngsters onto the road with too little driving experience? Why are the people up there not demanding proper comparison with other areas, maybe a public inquiry and some action?

I don't know if they're disproportionate, but they're certainly high.

I'd say, going too fast on bendy country roads, and reckless young drivers are the main cause. I can think of four fatalities within 5 miles of my house in the last 8 years; three were young drivers in single car accidents. Two failed to take a corner, and the third - no idea how she managed to go off the road. The fourth was a driver who was driving to work still slightly over the limit from the night before.

There are quite a few wee country roads used as commuter routes into Aberdeen, which are totally unsuitable for the volume of traffic on them.

This is the Inveramsay bridge on the A96. It's single width, so at this point on the main Aberdeen- Inverness road (one of only 2 "A" roads north of Aberdeen!) there are traffic lights so that cars go through in single file.

I can usually drive the 100 miles to Inverness in 2 1/2 hours, but you have to allow a possible 3 hours, in case of a big tailback at Inveramsay, and multiple delays behind tractors!

So, never mind no motorways - even an A road which isn't single width at any point would be an improvement!

[ 21. August 2014, 19:06: Message edited by: North East Quine ]

I know the A75 quite well having driven its length from Gretna to Stranraer (alright not quite) four times a year for the last five years and sometimes in the most atrocious weather. It is not a motorway, but as A roads go it is pretty darn good. It is certainly not single track, there are sections that are dual carriageway and each time I travelled it more of the road was. Admittedly ferry times make a difference on the whole route between Stranraer and Dumfries. However, it is a straight fast road and the temptation is to put your foot down as it covers the miles and forget to look out for the exceptional bends. If ferry traffic is bad, I have been known to drive A712 (shorter route but not as fast a road, the time works out about the same) instead. Again very little is single track (I think one or two of the historic villages may still have single track across bridges), but please do not do it in a lorry unless you have to as it twists as much as the A75 is straight.

In other words Dumfries and Galloway is not in the same situation as Aberdeenshire.

Jengie

quote:
Why are the people up there not demanding proper comparison with other areas, maybe a public inquiry and some action?
One reason for this is probably the long running saga of the Western Peripheral Route; for the last decade at least, there have been plans for a new road which circles Aberdeen and is dual carriageway all the way. However, various interest groups have been contesting the exact route and the whole thing has been mired down in endless too-ing and fro-ing.

The WPR, if it ever happens, will sort out a couple of accident black spots (not fatalities, but regular bumps and shunts causing tailbacks, which also push cars onto the back roads), will reduce the amount of commuter traffic on country back roads and will mean that lorries going to e.g. Peterhead don't need to go through Aberdeen itself, thus reducing city congestion.

There's no point in having a public enquiry as it would probably just recommend the WPR, which is theoretically in the pipeline anyway.

Crivens, it's brassic out there!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-28885119

The whole A9 needs a bypass... trouble is, there ain't nowhere else to put the road for much of the route! We skidded sideways into Gills Bay this summer with minutes to spare before our ferry at least partly because of a long turn the engine and get out and walk about sort of traffic delay near Brora.

AG

I drove around the north east for the first time back in June, and was struck by the number of criss-crossing small roads. I think it is because it is fairly densely-populated for a rural area - good farm land can traditionally support a larger population than the poorer land down in Galloway, for example. So the roads run crossways all across the region, connecting farms and small villages. And the land is flat, so the roads are fairly straight, but with some scary junctions, very narrow in parts, and some tiny bridges. But they just aren't busy enough to justify a full-scale upgrade.

By contrast, down in my region most of the land is poor and hilly. That means roads can't criss-cross here, as they have to follow the valleys, which run north to south. So we basically have one motorway (the M74 running north from Gretna to Glasgow); and one long fairly good-quality east-west road from Gretna to Stranraer, which follows the coast and bypasses all the major towns. Leading off this road are smaller roads up to the various towns and villages in the hills, but on the whole, these do not criss cross. You expect them to be twisty too, because they follow the valleys, and because it is an area of low population, they don't have too much heavy traffic.

Another factor may be that the A75 down here is a 'Euro route', and like the M74 is funded by the Scottish Executive and not by the local council.

That's just a few speculative thoughts. Though I don't understand why the north east has so little interest in bypasses. The Peterhead-Inverness road is a nightmare that way, sending drivers straight through Elgin. If ever a town needed a bypass, that would be Elgin.

quote:
... The whole A9 needs a bypass ... trouble is, there ain't nowhere else to put the road ...

I've been going up and down the A9 at least once a year since I was a wee kid in the mid-1960s and believe me, it's one hell of a lot quicker and shorter than it used to be. When I was little, we'd leave Kirkwall at about 7 in the morning to get the steamer from Stromness (which took about 2½ hours), and allowing for a brief visit to friends in Helmsdale and a stop for lunch, it would be nearly midnight before we reached my grandparents in Greenock. The road has been ironed out sufficiently that these days we can leave on the Pentalina* at lunch-time and be in Edinburgh by early evening.
quote:

We skidded sideways into Gills Bay this summer with minutes to spare ...

There's a tradition in our family of leaving at the last minute: my late brother-in-law was known to have left Kirkwall five minutes after the Stromness ferry was supposed to leave, and still made it before it left ... [Killing me]

* The best thing to have happened to Orkney in years - good, reliable service, cheaper than the subsidised Northlink ferry and excellent bacon sandwiches. The owner was in my class at school, and I'm happy to support his frankly splendid enterprise.

Posted by Wesley J (# 6075) on :

quote:
[...] The Peterhead-Inverness road is a nightmare that way, sending drivers straight through Elgin. If ever a town needed a bypass, that would be Elgin.

They haven't lost their marbles yet, have they? [Frown]

My journey to work today might interest you. I could travel to work by dual carriageway for 90% of the journey, and if I'm going in by bus, I do.

But I was offered a lift, and the driver eschewed the dual carriageway for a more convoluted route by a twisty narrow B road, thus avoiding the tailbacks which slow traffic on every roundabout on the dual carriageway. (The bus can use bus lanes, which tips the dual carriageway route in favour of the bus.)

Almost all the B route traffic was going in the same direction, heading to Aberdeen, whereas the dual carriageway has commuters heading into Aberdeen, and out from Aberdeen to the industrial estates. If there were equal numbers of cars going in both directions on the B road, it would be dangerous.

There is something badly wrong with a traffic system in which drivers think ... hmmm... dual carriageway, or twisty B road; I'm in a hurry, I'll take the B road.

Sometimes the most obvious or direct route isn't the quickest - when we lived in Belfast if I was driving to w*rk I'd actually start by going in the wrong direction, as there was an awkward junction with a busy road that had traffic-lights if I went that way, and they made the turn much easier and less stressful.

You forget how many people there are in Edinburgh for the Festival. We went to a concert last night - Czech Phil, stunning rendition of Martinu 4 - but came out to pouring rain and several thousand other people all going for buses/taxis. Ended up walking about two-thirds of the way, and having dinner about midnight.

Back to huddling in the suburbs until it's All Over.

Posted by cattyish (# 7829) on :

Is anyone planning to do the Kiltwalk next year? The one in Aberdeen is on the 7th of June.

Cattyish, considering a tartan dress for the thing.

So. Patronising BT Woman, huh?

I nip over the border for 3 days, and this is what greets me on my return? Loving the memes, though! [Snigger]

And then there's this: Panda may have faked pregnancy for buns.

It's all happening up here this week, I tell you.

According to PatronisingBTwoman's watch, it's 6.50, and the kids are already off to school. That's impressive!

OK... There was no way that last story was going to be anything but a Daily Mash one... [Ultra confused]

AG

What do you lot thing is sensible?
A few weeks ago I could not get onto the train from London as it was full! I was intending to visit friends and family in Edinburgh and I'll visit them a while later.
Is it better to go by night, which I often chose, or is it more sensible to go during the days?
It is also less money to go during the day, but it still take a while to go up.

DaisyMay I've done both (when heading south). It depends how long you have, if time is limited then night makes sense. If you have time, it is a beautiful train journey. Also I like train journeys, is a time I feel is ok to sit and watch the world go by and chill out.

I book online (and get the tickets from the machine in the station on the day). That always assigns a seat reservation.

There's quite a price variation on fares, and if you can commit to travelling off-peak and returning on a specific service, you can travel very much more cheaply during the day.

I always book before a while to get on the train as it then costs less money. A while I will be going to Edinburgh.
And I have always taken the sleeping one when I have been further north to Edinburgh - for example camping up in the northwest, when we were there a while ago and it was sunny and dry - lovely.

Not sure where I will be, and therefore how much internet access, but was wondering who might be around for a virtual meet in the cafe, while the referendum votes are being counted/ announced?

We had a nice time today on Thursday at 1pm at the kirk, in London, when it was really great and people discussed whether it would be shifted from Scotland to England.
We also sang a Psalm which we usually sing in Scotland kirks.

Just got back from a wee prayer service for tomorrow. I hope folks are hanging in there okay.

Just dropping in to wish you all well for tomorrow's Momentous Decision.

I couldn't put it better than the Queen did: think very carefully before you make your decision.

Good luck! [Smile]

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

Thinking of the people of ****land. * guess whichever way it goes there will be pain for some.

Huia

[ 18. September 2014, 06:27: Message edited by: Huia ]

Posted by daisydaisy (# 12167) on :

Thinking of you all north of the border today and especially tomorrow when the results come through [Votive]

Posted by Heavenly Anarchist (# 13313) on :

Thinking of you all [Votive]

I hope now it goes well in Scotland to be forever. And now a woman has said she wishes to be in charge.

I am going up to Edinburgh as some of our family have told to come, and by he train in the morning, just a time a couple of days. I hope it is not just wet and cold there.

I was there a few weeks ago, Daisymay, and it was lovely!

Have a good trip! [Smile]

Posted by Gussie (# 12271) on :

My husband and I are taking a short trip to Edinburgh at the end of October. It's forty years since I was last there, and my husband has never been. Any suggestions of what we should do in the 24 odd hours we have at our disposal?

quote:
Originally posted by Gussie:
My husband and I are taking a short trip to Edinburgh at the end of October. It's forty years since I was last there, and my husband has never been. Any suggestions of what we should do in the 24 odd hours we have at our disposal?

If he's not been at all, then a bus tour might be a good way to get a lot in.

If it's 40 years, then things that you'll not have seen would include the Parliament building and the consequent revamp of that area round Holyrood and the foot of the Canongate. The west end and the hinterland of Lothian Road and Fountainbridge is glass and concrete (no more brewery and the burnt lentil smell of hops). The east end of Princes St has been smartened up as well, with new build/development below Carlton Hill, and St Andrew's Sq opened up as a public space. In the Old Town, they've been trying to de-seedify the Cowgate and Grassmarket (helped by that big fire on South Bridge a few years ago). And there's the extension to the National Museum on Chambers St. There's also been a lot of development of the National Gallery - but downwards, burrowing into the Mound and the Gardens. Look out for the restaurant. And possibly the whole Gallery of Modern Art on Belford Road is since your day? And then there's the Dean Village and Stockbridge and the Botanics if you fancy picturesque walking.

As this is The Ship I think finding nice places to eat might be a good idea.

Walking the Royal Mile lets you see lots of interesting buildings, from the castle at one end to the Parliament building and Holyrood Palace at the other. You can rub the toe of the Hume statue, pop into St Giles Cathedral, and Cannongate churchyard en route, and its all free. Lots of different options for a coffee / lunch stop, too.

Personally, I'd just look at the castle from the outside as a proper visit would take up too much of your short time there.

Museums of Scotland are close to the Royal Mile and free - I try to pick a single topic each time I'm in Edinburgh, and just do that, as otherwise the size and variety gets overwhelming; last visit I went to see the prehistoric and Roman sections; the visit before was C17th and church history.

In between Museums of Scotland and the Royal Mile is the statue of Greyfriars Bobby - a compulsory photo opportunity! You can pop into Greyfriars cemetary, too. Also, the National Library of Scotland, halfway between the Royal Mile and Museums of Scotland, always has a small, free, interesting exhibition.

I second Firenze's suggestion of a bus tour.

I suppose it depends what things you like. If history is your thing, then there is plenty to occupy 24 hours from the Castle down to Holyrood, especially if you pop in and out of the wee closes. I particularly love St Giles Cathedral (free) and the Writers' Museum (also free). There are lots of very good eateries on George IV Bridge just round the corner from the Cathedral - I especially recommend The Outsider and The Villager, or you could try Frankenstein's pub for a gothic thrill in a converted old church. You can also find The Elephant House on this street, a nice wee cafe for Harry Potter fans. It is worth a wander down Victoria Street for some unusual shops and The Bow Bar - a fabulous pub.

If you fancy a more upmarket experience, George Street is a much better option than Princes Street, and it has lots of lovely restaurants at the west end. Do go into The Dome, for afternoon tea if nothing else. It is a spectacular venue - don't let the Christmas decorations (which will be up by this time!) put you off. St Andrews' Square at the east end is worth a visit and usually has some kind of outdoor exhibition going on. You can find Harvey Nick's there now as well.

There are some nice traditional pubs on Rose Street which serve good food in an atmospheric setting. I know and like the Auld Hundred and the Abbotsford, while the Mussel Inn Seafood Restaurant has a very good reputation.

The Portrait Gallery on Queens Street is a good option if the weather is bad, and consider popping down Broughton Street to find the more bohemian side of Edinburgh. There's a great wee cafe there called Nom de Plume.

Another good rainy day option for the strong of stomach is the Surgeon's Hall Museum, a short walk up Nicolson Street, and not far from the National Museum.

I couldn't really improve on those suggestions, but now that Firenze mentions it, I rather miss the brewery smell of Lothian Road (my sister lives in Balerno and I always used to notice it on the way out of the city).

I was about to recommend the Atrium, where we had a fairly stellar dinner years and years ago, only to discover that it had closed ... [Hot and Hormonal]

However, I can recommend The Olive Branch, where we celebrated our silver wedding with my Edinburgh relations last summer. Also, for really good but reasonably-priced French nosh, there's still a Pierre Victoire in Edinburgh.

I hope you have a wonderful time.

Posted by Gussie (# 12271) on :

Thanks for all those great suggestions. The walk up the Royal Mile sounds like a good idea, and I hope we can do that the day we get there to give us an idea of what we want to see more off the one full day we actually have. A museum or art gallery is a must as that's something we both enjoy, though I tend to enjoying painting and my husband lieks anything technical.
Thanks for eating suggestions too. We are vegetarians so any recommendations for stand out veggie places would be great (I'm also partial to CAKE, though my husband isn't quite so keen).

I believe David Bann, just off the Royal Mile, has a pretty good reputation though I've never eaten there myself.

I've been there, albeit some time ago - it was fine. Veggie Places to check out on TripAdvisor are Henderson's in the New Town and the Kalpna and Bindi in the Southside.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

quote:
Also, for really good but reasonably-priced French nosh, there's still a Pierre Victoire in Edinburgh.

Seconded, totally. We have one in Oxford which has always produced good food at a bargain price, and the London one served up an unforgettable, best-ever goulash (ok, it's not French but it was the special of the day and truly excellent) when I last went.

They are, though in Eyre Place, which is a bit of a haul if you're staying centrally. And while they do have 3 vegetarian mains, it's not their predominant style.

[ 03. October 2014, 19:24: Message edited by: Firenze ]

quote:
Originally posted by Gussie:
Thanks for all those great suggestions. The walk up the Royal Mile sounds like a good idea, and I hope we can do that the day we get there to give us an idea of what we want to see more off the one full day we actually have. A museum or art gallery is a must as that's something we both enjoy, though I tend to enjoying painting and my husband lieks anything technical.
Thanks for eating suggestions too. We are vegetarians so any recommendations for stand out veggie places would be great (I'm also partial to CAKE, though my husband isn't quite so keen).

Clarinda's Tea Room atthe bottom of the Royal Mile is a must for cake! [Big Grin]

Has anyone else caught this? It has to be the maddest, most jaw-droppingly crazy thing ever. It is also very very beautiful. Danny MacAskill: [Overused]

There's a link on the BBC site to 'The Ridge' on youtube, so you can check out the full-length version.

I'm feeling uncomfortably giddy just looking at that - he's clearly certifiably insane.

[Eek!] but also quite [Overused]

I had a very nice time in Edinburgh and we walked around various places. It was really nice to be with my family and friends - we had been at school together!
And today the train I booked to sleep in to come down was cancelled which was a problem, but then they put us into another train which just stayed there not moving, and then at 5am they got us onto another train to bring down.

Long sleepless night then Daisy May? That's not so fine. I hope you've recovered well with good memories intact.

Cattyish, huddling indoors against the rain.

When I've come home, I went to sleep during this afternoon, about 3 times. And then one of my family arrived and woke me up. So I had my usual morning to eat then!

It was lovely often in Edinburgh, wet too one day. There were great places to walk around in parks and see all lovely trees and lovely covers still alive on the floor with the green.

It will rain all over Scotland next week, starting Sunday morning, and end when I get back on a plane two weeks from now. Why should it be different from usual? I'll enjoy every moment of it anyway, though I'm thinking of posting something in the Thanksgiving thread about First Group losing the Scotrail franchise. It can't happen soon enough.

Calling Piglet!

AG

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

Crikey! We went to the Ness when we were home in 2013, but they'd closed up for the season when we were over last month. It's a huge site, and they reckon it may extend for miles, under neighbouring fields.

Mmmm ... auroch steaks ... [Big Grin]

Well spank me with a prize leek and call me Hamish!

I've tried several times over the years to find out what happened to a distant cousin who was supposed to have vanished on Ben Nevis, with no joy.

Having started again, I asked for advice yesterday and this morning the answer was in my inbox!

Poor beggar got lost in the hills above what is now Loch Cluanie, off the A87, in January 1960, and wasn't found until September 1962. I can't even begin to imagine what his mother must have been through, because the very day he went missing his father dropped dead of a heart attack. [Votive]

AG

Looking for some advice. How easy is it to get to Aberdeen airport? I'm happy to drive, get the bus or train. Just looking at options at the moment.
Thanks

Where are you trying to get to Aberdeen airport from? If you're travelling from Aberdeen railway station it's fairly easy, as there are regular buses.

If you're driving up from Dundee, you go up the A90 to Aberdeen, round Anderson Drive and then head out of Aberdeen on the A96. The airport is well signposted from the A96. It's quite straightforward, but factor in traffic delays on Anderson Drive.

I think there's a shuttle bus from Dyce railway station to the airport, but I've never used it.

Aberdeen railway station and Aberdeen main bus station are next to each other ( connected by a short mall of cafes and shops) so it's easy to reach Aberdeen by train, then switch over to a bus or vice versa.

quote:
... connected by a short mall of cafes and shops ...

Goodness - it's a long time since I've been in Aberdeen! [Smile]

As the old saying goes, if you are trying to got to Aberdeen Airport I wouldn't start from where you were thinking of starting from.

[Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:

It's totally different; a whole shopping mall has been squeezed in next to the railway station, with the bus station relocated slightly. It's Aberdeen's shiniest, most up-market mall, entirely soulless, and it's pulled more shops away from Union Street, which is becoming steadily sorrier-looking.

To clarify:

quote:
a short mall of cafes and shops
Union Square mall itself is huge, but the connecting section between railway and bus station is at the narrowest bit of the mall.

quote:
... it's pulled more shops away from Union Street, which is becoming steadily sorrier-looking.

That's sad. When I lived in Aberdeen (early 1980s) Union Street was a really nice place to go shopping, especially for a peasant from the sticks like me. [Big Grin]

It seems to be the fate of some city-centre "high streets"; many of the shops in downtown St. John's are just tourist-traps selling chunky hats and fluffy puffins.

Union Street should be Aberdeen's main shopping street - it's unique to Aberdeen and visually stunning. However, it's increasingly being taken over by building societies and other non-shops, plus charity shops and, currently, three different pound shops. Aberdeen Council's answer to this is to propose a fifth glass-and-metal box shopping mall, this time on Upperkirkgate / Broad street (shudder).

Aberdeen City Council should visit Colchester. It has a High Street with no shops, because they're all in the shopping centres. It's very odd, and not a little miserable.

AG

quote:
Aberdeen City Council should visit Colchester. It has a High Street with no shops, because they're all in the shopping centres. It's very odd, and not a little miserable.

AG

That sounds a lot like Newport. Brand new bus station but so little town left now thanks to out of town shopping. About one-third of shops are unoccupied, even by charities or poundshops.

A new shopping centre is being built (mostly on the site of the old bus station) but the best that can be hoped for is that some stores move back to the town centre.

quote:
... Colchester ... has a High Street with no shops ...

Oh I don't know - I went shopping there when we were home visiting D's mum in September. There's still Williams & Griffin (traditional Jenners-type department store), and Debenhams, Marks & Sparks and H&M all have entrances on the high street (although their postal addresses are in Culver Square, which is a sort of open courtyard with shops on all sides).

It's not quite Princes Street (or even Union Street as I remember it), but it's a lot better than anything we've got in Newfoundland. [Smile]

eta: Now I think about it, if you want a decent high street, you could do a lot worse than Belfast - when we lived there Royal Avenue/Donegall Place was a really not bad place to shop, with most of the usual high street suspects (some of them in a covered shopping centre called Castle Court located about half-way up the street) and a very good Tesco Metro.

[ 29. October 2014, 01:54: Message edited by: Piglet ]

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

I have fond memories of shopping in downtown Belfast.

Moo

I prefer shopping in my own wee village where the garage sells everything from tractors to insoles via gardening, camping, cycling, decorating and household. And we have a shop. I can cycle to the newest, poshest deli around from here too.

Cattyish, living in the posh sticks.

How dark is now? I remember when going to school (in Blairgowrie) it was very dark. It did get different, not dark then, when we played at lunchtime at school outside.

Having grown up in Orkney I was used to going to (and coming from) school in the dark. It was more than compensated for by the long days in the summer.

[Smile]

Posted by chive (# 208) on :

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:

It's totally different; a whole shopping mall has been squeezed in next to the railway station, with the bus station relocated slightly. It's Aberdeen's shiniest, most up-market mall, entirely soulless, and it's pulled more shops away from Union Street, which is becoming steadily sorrier-looking.
I was shocked, shocked I tell you when I got off the train in Aberdeen in April. I was waiting to be picked up and I was expecting the usual mingingness you used to get hanging around there but lo a shiny new shopping centre. On the way back I popped into Nandos before I got my train and was told they'd run out of chips. How?

It's a bit like one occasion when we stopped at KFC to be told they had no chicken.

I really don't know how they can find an adequate excuse for that. [Ultra confused]

I remember a local restaurant (which was normally very good) losing hundreds of points on the D. and Piglet Scale because they ran out of potatoes.

There's a late-opening deli/mini-market a couple of blocks along the street from them, and at least one 24/7 supermarket within 10 minutes' drive - couldn't they have gone and got some?

IIRC D. was on the point of offering to go and get some ... [Big Grin]

quote:
It's a bit like one occasion when we stopped at KFC to be told they had no chicken.

Why should the absence of chicken stop them? I have had some very odd shaped pieces of chicken at KFC and the like.

Today has been the epitome of dreich. There wasn't enough light during the day for our garden solar lights to as much as flicker on come dusk.

Now that really is dreich, NEQ. We're having moderately silly weather at the moment: today it didn't get above 2°C and we had what a friend calls "fat rain"* most of the afternoon.

Tomorrow we're forecast to get ordinary rain (lots) and a temperature of 14°C.

[Confused]

* soft, white rain/snow mix that doesn't lie; anything to avoid using the word "snow".

What is it today ? We've been shown about lots of white ones. I also remember being a child when we played with the white ones on the ground.

This evening I went to the Scottish Kirk in London and it is really excellent and nice people.

Today we had bread and wine ! We do not have it every week.

And we have tea and coffee after it finishes praying and singing. It was nice and also something sweet to eat.

Was that St. Columba's, Pont Street, Daisymay? Andrea Price, one of the clergy there, and her husband are friends of ours from Orkney.

It is Crown Court Church, at Russel Street, Covent Garden. The man in charge is Reverend Philip Majcher. he's very good.

They have a Coral singing at Trafalgar Square on Saturday 20. I might get along on 5pm to see and hear it.

Yoohoooo! Piglet!

It's a Sunday this year... If it's clear, I might try and catch the sunrise here, just to mark the days beginning to lengthen. The Kirkwall time is 9.05 am - perfect, can watch it on the webcam before ringing for service!

AG
(thinking of breaking out the mankini)

I'm an eejit, it's the sunset at Maes Howe!

AG

The winter days are short up there. So, not much difference in time between sunrise and sunset.

Six hours and 11 minutes. Can you tell I looked it up?

AG

quote:
Yoohoooo! Piglet!

Thanks for posting that, Sandemaniac - 9 o'clock in the morning in Kirkwall is 5:30 here, so I'll probably still be tucked up in bed, but I suspect that pictures will probably appear on the "Orkney Past and Present" group on Facebook (if you're on FB, you should join it - people post some absolute stunners of photographs).

[Smile]

Today I went to Trafalgar Square as the www.crowncourtchurch.org.uk as Scottish one, was doing the singing this evening.

I had the papers to sing also and they were always about God and one was "Unto us Born a Son."

It was a really lovely time to be there with them. We had 15 songs and bits of speaking by them. There were hundreds of people to be listening and being feeling of God.

I love Unto us is born a son, Daisymay - in fact I'd go as far as to say it's my favourite Christmas carol.

Glad you enjoyed it. [Smile]

I enjoyed that one and the others too.
We sang "Away in a manger: and it had "I love thee, Lord Jesus!" "Be near me Lord Jesus, and love me I pray."

Happy New Year!

In keeping with Ship tradition old regional threads die on the last of the year and then new threads appear when anyone so minded starts the next.

I'll miss this thread but I'm sure a sooper-dooper new thread will soon takes its place.

Go to it, Shipmates.

WW - AS Host

© Ship of Fools 2016