Thread: TICTH Episode XIV - Hell Consigns Back Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=028053

Posted by Pre-cambrian (# 2055) on :

Despite it being closed you Christians must know you can't keep Hell down.

Anyway Sioni Sais surely can't object to this.

So: calling Warner Bros and everyone outside the UK who contributes to bad blood between the nations of the UK through their crass stupidity.

I've just finished watching "Clash of the Titans". No comments on the film itself, but I'm one of the those - very few - people who watch through the whole of the credits the first time round. So what do I see credited amongst the locations?
quote:
Llanberis, Wales, England
Invisible deities of your choice, give me strength!

[ 18. November 2014, 03:25: Message edited by: RooK ]

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

I don't have a say in whether this thread lives or dies, as I'm not a Host any more.

A Host may well be along to let you know what really will happen to it.

Posted by Doc Tor (# 9748) on :

Pfft.

Dons hostly furry hat

Comrades, you know the rules. Short winges, whines, moans and complaints only. Anything you want to have a proper rant about has its own thread. Excessive commenting on an original grumble will lead to TICTH being sent to the gulag for re-education. Again. And it's very cold in Siberia this time of year.

Stows hostly furry hat

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

Flu. Especially, flu that comes and gets us after we've had our freaking flu shots.

Posted by Nicolemr (# 28) on :

TICTH computer problems. Going to have to take my laptop in to be serviced soon. It's only barely usable. [Mad]

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

I'm on holiday and deliriously happy, so why are you all trying to ruin it for me when I check in here by reviving TICTH again? I was ready to come and spread love and flowers and this is what I get?

Bad Shipmates. Bad. No. Heel. Go to your kennel.

Posted by Patdys (# 9397) on :

Better qualified international applicants.
Church Councils.
Cancer.
God.

That's it for today.

Posted by Patdys (# 9397) on :

And Orfeo, Do you really want to discuss your holidays and being deliriously happy in 'Today I consine to Hell'.... [Devil] [Razz]

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

Dear Bicycle rider on skinny highway bike path-- the thing about wearing camo at twilight while driving alongside a row of trees? There's a reason they call it camouflage.

(takes out ledger book and subtracts ten years from life.)

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

TiCTH my hilarious body, who decided that the 5 days I'm travelling with 9 squirrely teenagers (who apparently don't sleep. Fucking EVER.) was the perfect time to inflict me with not only a doozy of a period a week ahead of schedule, but also the fucking plague. Chills, fever, snot every-goddamn-where, and hey, how 'bout cramps, too? (oversharing? Kiss my frozen ass)

Just for that, body, I'm punishing you severely with a buttload of junk food. And whiskey, once I hand the hooligans back to those who spawned 'em. Bad body, bad. Here's ice cream.

The 18 hour ferry ride we start tomorrow (with a total of about 120 teens from the whole fucking region) is going to be a motherfucking BLAST. Send booze!

Posted by Kitten (# 1179) on :

TICTH The recurring stomach bug that meant instead of spending all night in a nice comfortable bed, I spent large chunks of it in the bathroom

Posted by Macrina (# 8807) on :

TICTH my sodding freaking TOOTH that had to wait until right in the middle of my holiday to sheer off half its enamel. Luckily I am not in pain as the offending dentoid was mostly filling anyway but boy am I pissed off that JUST as I paid off the last of my dental bills and started to scrape some savings together it has to go on fixing this little useless bastard.

Posted by Raptor Eye (# 16649) on :

TICTH thieves, who leave everyone looking over their shoulders and mistrustful until they're caught, then leave a nasty taste in the mouth of the people who trusted them.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

Labyrnthitis - makes me dizzy - like having drunk a bottle of scotch without the nice taste.

Posted by DangerousDeacon (# 10582) on :

My one day off in the week. An incredibly busy week awaits me. Five phones calls before 8.30, when I am trying to sleep in. Two from parishioners, two from colleagues, one of whom starts "I know its your day off, but ...".

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh.

Freaking flu virus that combines a cough and high fever with HIVES WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT? so it's probably not even the flu, o joy, and my husband determined to go back to work so he can spread it ever more widely.

And I have the least severe case of it, so I get the everlasting freaking joy of cleaning up everybody else's crap and waiting on them hand and foot. Not to mention sleeping on the couch. Where my butt is attempting to descend into hell between two cushions.

AND sciatica.

Where's the booze, Comet?

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

quote:
Originally posted by comet:

The 18 hour ferry ride we start tomorrow (with a total of about 120 teens from the whole fucking region) is going to be a motherfucking BLAST. Send booze!

Just underway and my estimate was slghtly off. 200 goddamn squirrely teens. On one ferry. For 18 hours. There's no place for my team to sleep.

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGH!!!!

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

(Sends Comet 2 cases of 90% dark chocolate for herself, and 20 Twister games to keep the kids busy.)

TICTH the idiots who set up California law so that the criminal law age of sexual consent is 18, but there is NO *civil* law age of consent. So a child can be blamed for being sexually abused by a teacher-- blamed by the school district.

Posted by Sipech (# 16870) on :

Praise the Lord for the resurrection of TICTH!

I might condemn the theologically muddled nature of the above, but I reserve today's for an instance last week when I was nearly run over by a cyclist (on a Boris bike) who, in the space of about 3 seconds, managed to:

a) Go through a red light
b) Turn the wrong way up a one way street
c) Mount the pavement at fairly high speed, with no regards to the pedestrians on it.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

TICTH the website designers for Medicare D signups. I assume they had some reason for doing it that way, but I can't imagine what it was.

Almost everyone using the site is over sixty-five. This means that although they can use computers, most of them, including me, are very unsophisticated.

The first thing you fill out is name, address, social security number, and date of birth. I filled all this out, and got the reply that they never heard of me. I have been enrolled in Medicare D for eight years. I assumed I had made some typo, although I couldn't see it. I re-entered the information, and again they said they had never heard of me.

I asked my daughter to take over, and she figured out that the problem was the hyphens I had put in the social security number. A social security number has three digits, then a hyphen, then two digits, then a hyphen, then four digits. I have never seen a social security number written without hyphens. Nevertheless, the site designers decided that any social security number with hyphens should be rejected.
[Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

Moo

Posted by Beethoven (# 114) on :

TICTH the invisibility cloak currently surrounding my car key. I'm hoping it only lasts 48 hours so the key will magically be in plain sight when I get home. I've already tidied up in the effort to find it; not sure what else I can do. [Frown]

Posted by Pyx_e (# 57) on :

TICTH the phrase "Women and Children first."

Posted by Lucia (# 15201) on :

Cockroaches - although the wretches are so hard to erradicate they would probably survive the fires of hell...

[ 17. November 2014, 20:49: Message edited by: Lucia ]

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

Laryngitis -- although I'm pretty sure I know where I got it from and would do it again in a flash (is that a sin of gluttony?), still I'm paying the price!

Posted by Palimpsest (# 16772) on :

The piece of crap website that the State of Washington uses to enroll people in ACA and the clueless customer service people who staff the customer support lines.

It's been two weeks and many crashes, I've been double charged in order to enroll, they're still working on it, and I still haven't heard from the carrier I selected and I suspect they've lost it again and have no ambition to fix the problems caused in the crashes.

Posted by Autenrieth Road (# 10509) on :

TICTH passive aggressive shits who pretend to be filled with Christian love but in fact are just sniping from the corners and then running away from discussion when called on their shit.

If you think I'm convinced by that smug "I'm so superior" shit, think again.

People who advertise themselves as helping the poor, who then discover that the poor person in question is not Medicaid eligible (immigration category) and just dump them. Without hooking them up to any other kind of help.

Also, a certain person who is reported to have told the youth group at our church to tell their parents to give more money. WTF?

Posted by blackbeard (# 10848) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
TICTH the phrase "Women and Children first."

Or, according to Neddy Segoon (I think it was), "Women and me first...".

Posted by Callan (# 525) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lucia:
Cockroaches - although the wretches are so hard to erradicate they would probably survive the fires of hell...

Apparently that's an urban myth. In the event of a nuclear conflagration we can take some small consolation in the knowledge that the little bastards are going down with the rest of us.

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

Kale. WTF is it with this pathetic excuse for a vegetable that is EVERYeffingWHERE these days. Where the hell are the beans and carrots? I am sorry I EVER objected to the stupid idiocy oxymoron ultramaroon of "tender crisp". I'll even eat celery and enjoy it. I hate trendy oh so healthy vegetables.

And while I'm at it, death to cilantro leaves and coriander, vegetable puke spawn of Satan. Get the hell off my pizza!

Posted by Stejjie (# 13941) on :

I like kale... Mmmm...kale...

TICTH bloody "Let It Go" by bloody Elsa (aka Idina Menzel) from bloody "Frozen" by bloody Disney. Our 2 girls haven't watched it in, oooh, days and still the thing is going round my head. Well, when I say "the thing", I actually mean selected bits of the song over and over and over again...

Let it go? Out of my head? Yes please!

quote:
Originally posted by Stejjie:
Let it go? Out of my head? Yes please!

(Public service Announcement. You may prefer this.

You are now returned to your usual TICTH thread.)

Posted by Tubbs (# 440) on :

Bob Geldof. Not for crimes against music, although there are grounds for that, but for being an insufferable smug arse and a bit of a bully.

Reviving Band Aid to raise funds for research into eloba and help pay for treatment centres and medical staff is okay. And it will help raise awareness. But it’s those things that are going to stop this filthy disease in its tracks, not a record. The record is a means to an end.

Noel Gallagher was right in his assessment of Live 8: “Correct me if I’m wrong, but are they hoping that one of these guys from the G8 is on a quick fifteen-minute break at Gleneagles and sees Annie Lennox seeing 'Sweet Dreams’ and thinks 'f**k me, she might have a point there, … we should really drop the debt, you know’. It’s not going to happen, is it?” . Doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be done. Just that there needs to be some realism about what is going to be achieved. And maybe some credit to those who will be actually achieving it.

But “naming and shaming” those who didn’t return your calls or you would have loved to turn up but didn’t is a not the behaviour of a gentlemen.

Adele is perfectly entitled to decide that keeping herself out of the limelight and spending time with her family and taking care of her toddler is more important than rocking up at a recording studio and warbling. She’d already done her bit anyway. Having made an under the radar, private donation to Oxfam’s eloba appeal. I wonder how many of the musicians on Band Aid had done the same? Hopefully it’s more than I think it is. In the words of the man himself, “Give us your fucking money …” Okay, you first!

And whilst I’m here … Mylanne Klass …That big meanie Ed Milliband wants to tax expensive houses to help pay for the NHS. But £12m will only buy you garbage in central London. And you’re expected to pay tax on that? OMFG! Maybe Bob could do something for celebs in need so they know it’s Christmas too. Alternatively, George could tackle the deficit by showing the same enthusiasm for kicking the crap about of tax dodgers and avoiders as he does towards the poor and needy.

Bah fecking humbug. Up the revolution. (And, for those of us of a certain age, Freedom for Tooting!)

Tubbs

[ 19. November 2014, 13:36: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
... And, for those of us of a certain age, Freedom for Tooting!

[Killing me] I am Of A Certain Age.

Which is probably why the only people I recognised in the new Band Aid line-up were Bob Geldof and Bono.

TICTH getting old. [Hot and Hormonal]

Posted by passer (# 13329) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
... And, for those of us of a certain age, Freedom for Tooting!

[Killing me] I am Of A Certain Age.

Wolfie would be proud of you both.

I would like to CTH that nice Mr Ecclestone, whose greed and self-interest has led to 230 redundancies and dreadful publicity, but who has endeavoured to paint himself as a saviour by not charging Caterham to travel to the Middle East (they are contractually restricted to using only his transport company).

quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:
And Orfeo, Do you really want to discuss your holidays and being deliriously happy in 'Today I consine to Hell'.... [Devil] [Razz]

I'll discuss it wherever I damn well please. I'm practically shitting rainbows here.

TICTH whatever twisted sense of history has caused actor Kirk Cameron to say "Pagans stole Christmas from Christians", and put his ideas into a film.

[Roll Eyes]

Posted by Gwai (# 11076) on :

TITCH: "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned."
Because men just love being scorned, dontcha know!

One of those delightful phrases chock full with sexist assumptions.

Posted by Lord Jestocost (# 12909) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
TICTH whatever twisted sense of history has caused actor Kirk Cameron to say "Pagans stole Christmas from Christians", and put his ideas into a film.

[Roll Eyes]

However, I call to Heaven the range of Christmas candy recipes linked to at the end of that page ...

quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
TITCH: "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned."
Because men just love being scorned, dontcha know!

One of those delightful phrases chock full with sexist assumptions.

I know someone who was literally harrassed for years because every time she asked for help, the perp would simply evoke this phrase, and nobody would ask any further questions. Fucking ugliness.

Posted by Twilight (# 2832) on :

They all think it breaks our hearts if they don't find us attractive -- thus we have been "scorned," by them. They didn't see us turn to our friends and stick our fingers down our throats

It's evolved to a simpler, "bitches be crazy," for the morons that don't know what scorned means.

Right. Women sometimes go crazy when you break up with them and key your car. Men sometimes go crazy when you break up with them and murder you and your kids.

It's become unbelievably dangerous out there for women, girls aren't even safe at college parties.

This tangent has the potential for a thread of its own. Just sayin'

Doc Tor
Hell host

Posted by Callan (# 525) on :

TICTH England football supporters who thought it would be amusing to go to Celtic Park and sing songs about the IRA. Not that I mind people being rude about the semtex-happy Feinian murderers in principle. But Scottish Catholics are really not the enemy here, guys. And things have moved on since the 1990s. And, in case you weren't paying attention, they just had a referendum on independence up there, for crying out loud, and the Nats lost. You could have wound them up much more effectively with something along the lines of:

"You're Brits, and you know you are!"

Losing. Your. Touch.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

TICTH space invaders. There's the entire platform to choose from and hardly anybody on it. But no, you have to come and stand just 8" behind me. Every morning this week. Wtf? I can only assume I'm standing in "your space" but your train isn't even due for another 15 minutes. Until they put up a plaque and a Keep Off, This Space Is Reserved sign, I'm bloody standing where I want.

And TICTH people who sit opposite you then pick and eat the contents of their nose for the duration of the journey. Enjoy your breakfast, you've put me right off mine.

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

quote:
Ariel: TICTH space invaders.
When I first read this sentence, I thought it was about the computer game. That's why I have to post this link. (PS I agree, those people suck.)

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
TICTH space invaders. There's the entire platform to choose from and hardly anybody on it. But no, you have to come and stand just 8" behind me. Every morning this week. Wtf? I can only assume I'm standing in "your space" but your train isn't even due for another 15 minutes. Until they put up a plaque and a Keep Off, This Space Is Reserved sign, I'm bloody standing where I want.

I suggest you turn around, right in place, and boldly stare them in the eyeballs. Saying nothing.

Hey, it's psych warfare. They started it, you can up it.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
I suggest you turn around, right in place, and boldly stare them in the eyeballs. Saying nothing.

I already have. She doesn't notice me.

Posted by The Rogue (# 2275) on :

If she takes no notice of you then you might get away with tying her shoelaces together.

TICTH Beaujolais Nouveau day. What a con.

I have been reminded that yesterday was Beaujolais Nouveau day. Are there still superannuated Yuppies drinking this revolting pop?

Posted by Brenda Clough (# 18061) on :

Perhaps you could start carrying a very long large umbrella. (Or a rolled poster, or a golf club, or a broadsword, or something.) Hold it under your arm so it sticks out behind.

"In my father's house are many tangents" is the subtitle of Heaven, and assuredly not of Hell.

If you wish to start a thread for the discussion of personal space invaders, knock yourselves out. Otherwise, knock it off.

Doc Tor
Hell host

Posted by churchgeek (# 5557) on :

Well, the brunt of my anger has subsided while the TICTH thread was closed, but...

Last week some motherfuckers broke into our house and stole my computer, my roommate's camera, and a few other things. And ripped our alarm system out of the wall (tbh, I don't blame 'em, that thing HURT when it went off). And the door they kicked in needed to be replaced.

I bought the new alarm system, despite my underemployment, and had to take 2 days off work to be here until the place was finally secure again.

All of which leads to a -$85 balance in my checking account. And my temp assignment abruptly ended, and I have lots of expenses right now...

So I consign the bastards who broke into our house to hell today. Just not for eternity, though; I'm a universalist.

And it is kinda just part of the cost of living in Detroit. But only because these thugs think they can damage other people's homes and take their stuff. Anyone who thinks like that probably doesn't need to be consigned to hell, come to think of it. They sort of carry hell around with them.

Just next time, don't bring it into my house.

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

Step back, tread heavily on their feet, move behind them, apologising profusely and realistically, and then at the appropriate moment push them in front of the train. They won't bother you again.

Ian J.

Bugger. My last was for Ariel, quite a few posts ago.......

....I think I'll go and kick a UKipper......

Ian J.

TICTH myself, for having wasted a golden opportunity to annoy a racist old sod wearing a UKIP badge. He was sitting outside the Polling Station yesterday, asking in an unctuous and oleaginous manner for the poll numbers of those coming in to vote (apparently this is legal!!).

I just wish I'd pointed out to him (gently, of course, and in Christian Love) that, if his party got rid of all the Awful Foreigners And People Not Like Us, he'd have no-one to wipe his arse and bring him a cuppa tea when he's in his nursing home........

Ian J.

Posted by chive (# 208) on :

TICTH the weaselly ignorant stupid psychiatrist who decided it was appropriate to write to my GP a letter that contains a)irrelevant nonsense - why would it be clinically relevant that a Scottish person speaks with a Scottish accent, b) stupid irrelevant commentary that starts with 'I wonder'. You can wonder all you want you stupid bitch but if you'd asked me I could have told you that your wondering was nonsense and saved you all that mental energy and c)downright lies. If you're going to say you've discussed something with me, don't make it something that I can clearly demonstrate you didn't discuss. Also if you say I agree with something don't make it something that I can show, with written evidence, I have systematically disagreed with since 2009. That's just stupid.

How dare she have the arrogance to make up things she was clearly to lazy to ask about in the consultation. I am hugely distressed and offended. If I behaved like that professionally I would be sacked and that would be correct but clearly Dr Fuckwit will get away with it because she's a psychiatrist and I'm her patient or service user or client or whatever nonsense you want to call it and am therefore entirely untrustworthy.

And finally if you are going to write bullshit about me you should have the courtesy to copy me into your letter so that I could dispute it at the time instead of months later when it's in the system and all over my medical records.

And fuck you for having me find all this out in the middle of a fortnight's annual leave which I took because I was under a lot of stress and wanted to chill out. Instead of that I have to write stroppy letters to you and your boss and try to get this rectified.

Fuckwit

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

TICTH

People with rucksacks, especially on crowded tube trains.
Short people with umbrellas.
People eating smelly takeaway food on public transport.
The Jubilee Line escalators at London Bridge station.

Thank fuck I rarely travel into Central London these days.

Posted by Snags (# 15351) on :

TICTH (briefly, because in other ways they're all good people) a selection of profoundly irritating arseholes from my "fellowship" who are unwittingly heaping straws on the back of this particular camel.

They can all just FRO.

Posted by Beethoven (# 114) on :

TICTH IT 'support' teams that are less use than a chocolate fireguard. If I report a problem - in full, including all relevant error messages - then please, PLEASE do look at the information I send you. If I say that I've had a problem with something, as well as several other users reporting the same issue, why ask me to log on as one of them (who's out of the country at the moment, so I can't even ask to try this), rather than checking one of the things that I've set up which isn't working. And for goodness' sake, do NOT try telling me that it all seems to be working fine if you haven't looked at the actual problem reported... [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

Posted by Snags (# 15351) on :

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

That came to you from Snags, the Ship's resident MCSE (Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert) [Biased]

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

I stopped getting peeved with the basic support questions when I (as ICT Coordinator) was called to the Deputy Head's classroom because the monitor wasn't coming on.

The lead connecting it to the computer wasn't connected.

Posted by Jemima the 9th (# 15106) on :

TICTH the monumental amount of faff involved in "helping" with the music for a service. Ditching the choir and music director probably seemed like a brilliant idea at the time, but the consequences for us poor numpties who get to fit in the endless jobs between our paid employment, caring duties, families etc is a royal pain in the arse.

Beginning to think about suggesting that all songs are accompanied by armpit farting.

[It's nowt compared with being lied about by a psychiatrist though. That's A grade evil.]

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

I'm sorry Jt9, but ditching the choir and the music director* and then complaining about having to provide the music for a service is rather like switching off the fire and complaining that it's cold.

[Devil]

* I appreciate that this may not have been your decision.

Posted by Evensong (# 14696) on :

*gggnnnnnn*

Much frustration, many confuse, so Doge.

The person who thinks that a suitable price for an A.C. Black's out of print school carol book (£20 when in print) is £213.

Posted by Jemima the 9th (# 15106) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I'm sorry Jt9, but ditching the choir and the music director* and then complaining about having to provide the music for a service is rather like switching off the fire and complaining that it's cold.

[Devil]

* I appreciate that this may not have been your decision.

Exactly. Not my decision, no. Perhaps I should suggest to the rector that the dcc consider appointing another music director. And then watch him fall about laughing. Sigh.

Posted by Ariston (# 10894) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
The person who thinks that a suitable price for an A.C. Black's out of print school carol book (£20 when in print) is £213.

You know, you're right. If a set of illustrations for a poem sold for £1.25 once, it should still be £1.25. Anything else is just profiteering.

A 1970s school book, used (and I know the state of the copy back in the school I used to teach at), when the publisher has a box on their site that if clicked, means that they will notify prospective purchasers when the current edition is back in print. (With accompaniment CD.) This is not a 1st edition of Thomas Tallis. Average price quoted about £50, some (already gone) about £2.

TICTH idealistic pictures dreamed up by artists working in PR designed to tell you how an urban development will look. They are always embellished with wholly unnecessary details. For example on this view of a development near London Bridge why the fuck is there a hot air balloon with a Union Jack on it flying next to the bloody Shard??? How often does that happen?

Posted by anoesis (# 14189) on :

TITCH both my employer's decision to 'repurpose' its finance division, laying off about 50% of the relevant staff in the process, and the (totally predictable) clusterfuck of inefficiency that has replaced it, which has, for added irony, the word 'service' in its title.

I have been waiting for NINE DAYS for a purchase order, without which I cannot proceed, and in addition to not receiving a purchase order, I have not received any sort of acknowledgement of any kind to any of my email or phone message queries about said purchase order.

It's completely fucking ridiculous, and the most frustrating thing of all is that this abomination of a service centre is just a faceless no-reply email system to feed stuff into - there is no facility to get hold of an actual person and do any of the following: 1.) Ask them if they received your request for a purchase order 2.) Ask them how long they think it will take for the purchase order to be done, 3.) Ask them why the purchase order hasn't been done inside the estimated time, 4.) Express your dissatisfaction at having to wait over a week for a purchase order, 5.) Offer to hand over your firstborn child if only they will please, please, create the goddamn thing TODAAAAY!!

Posted by ExclamationMark (# 14715) on :

quote:
Originally posted by chive:
And finally if you are going to write bullshit about me you should have the courtesy to copy me into your letter so that I could dispute it at the time instead of months later when it's in the system and all over my medical records.

And fuck you for having me find all this out in the middle of a fortnight's annual leave which I took because I was under a lot of stress and wanted to chill out. Instead of that I have to write stroppy letters to you and your boss and try to get this rectified.

Don't bother about the letters: take it straight to the GMC (general Medical Council) and CQC (Care and Quality Commission). Fight fire with fire. If she's lied about this with you, what else has she lied about with others who lack your resolve to address it.

You may also like to contact the Information Commissioner - since this information is recorded it is incorrect (and therefore proscribed) under the terms of the Data Protection Act. In case you think it doesn't work - I won a case against HMRC for this very thing.

[ 27. November 2014, 06:57: Message edited by: ExclamationMark ]

Posted by ExclamationMark (# 14715) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
TICTH myself, for having wasted a golden opportunity to annoy a racist old sod wearing a UKIP badge. He was sitting outside the Polling Station yesterday, asking in an unctuous and oleaginous manner for the poll numbers of those coming in to vote (apparently this is legal!!).

I just wish I'd pointed out to him (gently, of course, and in Christian Love) that, if his party got rid of all the Awful Foreigners And People Not Like Us, he'd have no-one to wipe his arse and bring him a cuppa tea when he's in his nursing home........ Ian J.

I feel the same about Tories, Labour and Liberals (sigh).

So do I - which is why I am a paid-up member of none of those parties, but of the only proper left-wing, 'socialist' party in the UK......

[Snigger]

Ian J.

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
So do I - which is why I am a paid-up member of none of those parties, but of the only proper left-wing, 'socialist' party in the UK......

[Snigger]

Ian J.

Holy moly, we have another 'Tankie' in our midst!

[Killing me]

Not quite...... [Devil]

Ian J.

Posted by Kitten (# 1179) on :

TICTH people who bit on things on ebay, then decide they don't want them after all [Mad]

Posted by ThunderBunk (# 15579) on :

TITCH emotional blackmail by charities.

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

TICTH the fact that Black Friday is now a thing. In France. It's enough to make me want to join the Occupy movement [Mad]

TICTH the chickenshit admins in the Orinda Unified School Distrrict.

Posted by luvanddaisies (# 5761) on :

quote:

Just use another arrangement - it's carols, there're more arrangements of each of them than any reasonable person could possibly want. Or do your own.

TICTH all who cannot spell gauge, as in railways. The 'a' comes before the 'u', people.

Posted by basso (# 4228) on :

quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
Just use another arrangement - it's carols, there're more arrangements of each of them than any reasonable person could possibly want. Or do your own.

That comment could only have been posted by someone who doesn't understand books.

The OP clearly wants to hold in her hands (or give to a niece or nephew) the book she held as a schoolgirl. There are some books (the edition of A Christmas Carol we read from every Christmas comes to mind) that make me mist up just to think of holding them.

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
TICTH the chickenshit admins in the Orinda Unified School Distrrict.

Oh FFS that's appalling. What's their definition of 'residency', then? Being the homeowner?

Update: the district is now offering to allow the Storches to fill out an affidative claiming they are Vivian's caretakers. That's right, they have to state on paper that her mother isn't the one taking care if her.

Fucking soulless assholes.

The community of Orinda had deep, deep pockets, and I have no shame in hoping the district gets sued into their next couple of collective karmic incarnations. Which will probably be invertabrate.

FURTHER. Update: the fuckers backed down!

[ 29. November 2014, 23:06: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Posted by Leorning Cniht (# 17564) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Update: the fuckers backed down!

It sounds like a very qualified backing down based on the fact that a nice white couple has been willing to say that they are responsible for her.

The fact that the girl and her mother live with said couple, who are her mother's employers, doesn't actually seem to matter. 'Cause the mother's a bit brown, you see, and brown people can't possibly live in our school district.

To be fair to the school district, it's not an unfamiliar issue. I live in a fairly well-off school district which is adjacent to a much poorer one. Every year, without fail, the elementary schools get a sudden influx of registrations the day before school starts. One or two of these late registrants are genuine local residents, but the majority are children from the poorer city next door who are registering with an address of convenience. By leaving the registration to the last moment, they hope that their child will be admitted without proper checks - there's a local law that says that once a school district has admitted a child, that child can stay for the year even if he/she moves to a different district.

(Of course, my preference is to abolish school districts completely, and issue vouchers paid for by state income tax. In which case you wouldn't get any of this nonsense. You'd probably still end up with oversubscribed schools finding a way to turn away poorer, darker pupils, though.)

TICTH the habit iTunes has developed of randomly losing music metadata. I don't want albums sorted by singer's first name, thanks, and why the hell is the artwork for that album not showing up on my iPhone?

EDIT: Well, I found out what had happened with the artwork. Every individual track on the album had the artwork, but somehow it's being lost from the album as a whole. Bizarre. Haven't found a fix yet.

[ 30. November 2014, 11:21: Message edited by: orfeo ]

quote:
quote:

You might think that, but one of the ones I wanted, I could only find a reference to in two places, with the words only in one, a service plan from Ontario. I do have the tune in my head, fortunately.

Another one of them I could find umpteen sets of words for, all varying slightly from the version I know in odd ways, as if transcribed aurally from recordings or memory. Tune in head again, fortunately.

I have sheet music for some, and other books which cover most options.

Plan B is to visit my old school with a hand scanner.

quote:
Originally posted by basso:
quote:

That comment could only have been posted by someone who doesn't understand books.

The OP clearly wants to hold in her hands (or give to a niece or nephew) the book she held as a schoolgirl. There are some books (the edition of A Christmas Carol we read from every Christmas comes to mind) that make me mist up just to think of holding them.

Nice thought, but it is more pragmatic than that - there are five or six songs in there, all together, which would be nice to sing, and to get all of them another way would be very time consuming, and result in having to lug round sheets and sheets of printout instead of just three compact books.

Okay, that's it. Just so you all remember, Sioni killed the last TICTH after too many stupid tangents.

Penny S, if you want to kvetch about capitalism and people trying to sell overpriced crap for prices higher than you can find it online (the horror!), get a fucking blog.

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
Okay, that's it. Just so you all remember, Sioni killed the last TICTH after too many stupid tangents.

And I didn't kill it as a passing gesture. I beat one of my co-hosts by no more than minutes.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Sodding pneumonia - I knew it hadn't shifted completely with the last antibiotics, so 1am shifts to get work done were really not a good idea. This back in full force is not what I want as a Christmas gift.

quote:
Originally posted by basso:
quote:

Fuck you, I understand books very well, but I also understand that pure sentimentality isn't worth over £200, unless you happen to be so ridiculously wealthy that happens to be an affordable amount for you.

The book she's talking about is a mediocre book of Christmas carols arranged for schools, and if you know a tune and the words, it doesn't take long to knock up a decent arrangement for it (as I'm sure you know, given that your name here implies you probably sing in a choir).
Of course, it takes even less time to simply choose a different carol.

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:

I'm sorry, I posted the above before reading downthread, because I should be going to get ready for w*rk but am doing an idiotic combination of procrastinating and rushing. Mea Culpa. Sorry.

Posted by ChastMastr (# 716) on :

TICTH Black Friday and the whole Mammonic, money/possessions-idolatrous system it's connected to.

Posted by ChastMastr (# 716) on :

TICTH "Morning Joe." [Mad]

TITCH The Guardian - not for any of the usual reasons (too liberal, too fancy-pantsy, too interlectual, or even (shock, horror) - too turning-into-a-tabloid)

No, it's for this abomination of sloppiness and misreporting. (new information gleaned from DNA analysis of King Richard III skeleton).

It's perhaps to be expected that the whole 'there's probably a bastard in the queen's ancestry' teaser turns out to have just been clickbait. Then there's the 'he was blond and blue-eyed instead' one. Which appears to be - he was reasonably likely to have had some variant of blue/grey eyes (astonishing - accords with the portraits! How is this news?), and probably had blond hair in childhood. Well, fuck me. You've just described a person of English descent. Who would have thought it of a king of the English? Honestly, I'm struggling here to think of a single fully caucasian person I know who wasn't blond in childhood, except for the redheads!

However, that's just the pre-rant. (It should be noted here that I am not any of the following: history graduate, history student, history enthusiast, Richard III nut) - yet despite this, even I know the following 1.) Richard's only legitimate child was NOT called Richard, as the article claims. His name was Edward. And if the reporter wasn't sure, she could have just checked Wikipedia, instead of making shit up. 2.) Queen Anne was not, as the article claims, childless. She had a bunch of children*, she was just unfortunate enough to outlive them all. That is emphatically not the same thing as being childless. Careless and sloppy stuff all round.

*Who knows whether or not it is wise to regard Wikipedia as the repository of all wisdom, but if it is, then she had seventeen pregnancies and five children living at birth. Childless, in a pig's eye...

Posted by kingsfold (# 1726) on :

TICTH the monster headache that greeted me when I woke up this morning. It's one thing to have have a headache of this magnitude if you've done something to deserve it, but that's not the case. And it doesn't want to leave me....

TICTH veterinary science courses.

The Girl wants to study it at university - a tiny, almost niche, course requiring ridiculously high grades. The course requirements also include such a range of previous experience as to make it almost impossible for her, or anyone like her, or anyone with parents poorer than us, which is almost everyone, to apply in good conscience for a place.

That second barrier is what'll stop her - we simply don't have the money or the connections to make it happen. [Mad]

Posted by Lord Jestocost (# 12909) on :

Aviva. Quick enough to sell me a travel insurance policy, not so hot at actually getting it to me. Oh, I need to register with MyAviva to get my documents. Oh look, it won't let me because it can't match my name with any of its records. Oh look, it still can't an hour later, which would be 50 minutes after advising me "it may take up to 10 minutes for your documents to appear on MyAviva". And oh, goody, a phone number that costs me 14p/minute to hold on while you play Gregorian chant-fusion at me (even though another number tucked away on your site with a much smaller premium gets me to exactly the same holding position).

May your shrieks from the eternal flames rise to the ears of the Almighty only to be met with jazzed up Gregorian chant and a recorded voice thanking you for your patience.

Posted by marzipan (# 9442) on :

TICTH trying to organise house viewings at a time when I can actually get there. No, I can't go see your house in the DAYTIME because that's when I'm AT WORK. The reason I ask for a viewing after X o'clock is because that the earliest I can get there!

TICTH the constant attempt to lump all black deaths at the hands of white law enforcement (or even pseudo-law enforcement) into a single category. In either direction. These are individuals, not fucking chess pieces.

On a related note: dear USA. We are now the subject of a UN investigation on human rights violations. What exactly will it take for us to start checking ourselves?

Posted by saysay (# 6645) on :

Fuck you, Rolling Stone magazine. Fuck you with a rusty farm implement.

I knew as soon as that UVA story ran exactly what was going to happen and yet you still forced me to live through it.

Let's recall this bit from The Morning After (which you made me drag off my bookshelf):

quote:
To be part of this blanket of warmth, this woman-centered nonhierarchical empowered notion, students are willing to lie. My first year at Princeton, one student was caught fabricating a rape story. Mindy had spoken at Take Back the Night for each of her four years at Princeton, and she had printed her story in the Daily Princetonian. What's interesting is that her account didn't really stand out; she sounded like everyone else at the speak-out. Her story could have been the blueprint. Whatever else anyone can say about her, Mindy could really talk the talk.

<snip> Unlike most participants in the speak-outs, Mindy put her story in print. Once it spilled over from the feverish midnight outpouring of the march into black-and-white newsprint, the facts could be checked. The problem was that she claimed she had reported a rape, and she hadn't. She claimed an administrator had told her "to let bygones be bygones," and he hadn't. She told people that a certain male undergraduate was the rapist, and he complained to the administration.

<snip>Many of the Princeton students emanate a sense of entitlement. These students say, again and again, "It's not fair that I should be afraid." This is an idea that springs from privilege. Who besides these well-dressed, well-fed, well-groomed students would expect the right to safety and march for it?

Book published in 1993.

How long, Lord, how long do I have to get called a misogynist and rape apologist for asking questions?

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

In no particular order:
The unpleasant virus that latched on to Darllenwr's computer which meant he had to have the thing wiped. My turn with the rusty farm implement to use on the person who thought the virus would be a good idea.
Humanist funerals - went to one yesterday - the first I have been to.
The stupid person who jumped out in front of our car when we went out this afternoon and thought it was funny that Darllenwr had to brake suddenly, and would have been most put out if we had hit him.

quote:
Originally posted by saysay:
Fuck you, Rolling Stone magazine. Fuck you with a rusty farm implement.

I knew as soon as that UVA story ran exactly what was going to happen and yet you still forced me to live through it.

I take it this is what you're referring to:
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/a-rape-on-campus-20141119 - but you could, you know, have linked to it.

quote:
Let's recall this bit from The Morning After (which you made me drag off my bookshelf):

[snip]

quote:
<snip>Many of the Princeton students emanate a sense of entitlement. These students say, again and again, "It's not fair that I should be afraid." This is an idea that springs from privilege. Who besides these well-dressed, well-fed, well-groomed students would expect the right to safety and march for it?

Well, me for a start. A mere colonial, and the first person ever in my family line to attend any university at all - and that not one associated with any sort of entrenched sense of entitlement. I expect there are others. I expect you have encountered them. I expect you find away to swat them all away. Especially if they are economically and socially privileged. After all, they have everything else, don't they, these women - and yet they're still asking for something more. What'll it be next? The vote, or something?

quote:
How long, Lord, how long do I have to get called a misogynist and rape apologist for asking questions?

This is the only question you've asked. Mostly, you've made assertions, including that Rolling Stone forced you to live through an article, and crowned this indignity by making you read through some book you already owned.

TICTH fucking Bay Area drivers and their dumbass behavior during our first big storms of the season.

Because, when the driver in front of you is approaching an overturned vehicle, a two lane closure only marked by road flares, and six cop cars, you climb on their ass. If there is standing water and they slow down, climb on their ass. If they pass a traffic camera with a speed radar sign attached and adjust their speed accordingly, climb on their ass. Especially if it is a steep incline and streams are running down the middle of the road.

Assclowns. Biggest problem us, they are going to go out and thin the parts of the herd that aren't them, which is not the way it's supposed to work

Posted by saysay (# 6645) on :

quote:
Originally posted by anoesis:
Well, me for a start. A mere colonial, and the first person ever in my family line to attend any university at all - and that not one associated with any sort of entrenched sense of entitlement.

Well, then your situation is a bit different from the situation described, isn't it? Princeton is an incredibly safe campus largely populated by a student body with an entrenched sense of entitlement. Like the cops described here, some of the students are simply afraid of black men, regardless of how they are acting.

quote:
I expect there are others. I expect you have encountered them. I expect you find away to swat them all away. Especially if they are economically and socially privileged. After all, they have everything else, don't they, these women - and yet they're still asking for something more.
Actually, for years I took the blame for their spoiled irresponsible behavior. I defended them, and tried to make sure they got out of the stupid situations they had gotten themselves into safely.

But then one day I got sick of taking literal punches because they think they should have the right to act however they want with complete disregard to how it affects anyone else.

So, yes, now I swat them away.

quote:
quote:

This is the only question you've asked. Mostly, you've made assertions, including that Rolling Stone forced you to live through an article, and crowned this indignity by making you read through some book you already owned.
This is the TICTH thread. It's the place for one-off rants, not discussion. I didn't ask questions because I wasn't necessarily looking for discussion, I was looking to rant.

Maybe living in New Zealand you could access some of your normal news sites without encountering descriptions of a brutal rape and the usual slinging of insults and accusations that surround the campus rape discussion over the past two weeks, but I couldn't.

Hence the rant.

But thank you for taking it upon yourself to police my feelings.

No, it's not a debating thread. For what feels like the umpteenth time already, if your whinge, whine, moan, bellyache or complaint extends to multiple posts, it can get its own thread.

Or it can die, screaming, with all the others here, as the hosts nuke this thread from orbit.

Doc Tor
Hell host

Posted by Macrina (# 8807) on :

The use of gosh fucking darn it QUOTATION MARKS around things you want to dismiss or belittle. I know you're so Catholic that if the Pope were to bless you he'd have to stick the holy water somewhere not so holy but jeez REALLY???

Do you have any fucking idea how dismissive you sound when you parrot off "homosexualality" and "women in mens bodies" whilst gaily (hahaha pun haha) assuming you know more than they do about their lives and experience because you read it in a book?

If I'd have known fucking punctuation could erase people so easily I'd have learned how to use the bloody semicolon years ago. Fuck you.

People who throw around bigoted language as if it's a sign of how edgy they are.

quote:
Originally posted by Macrina:
If I'd have known fucking punctuation could erase people so easily I'd have learned how to use the bloody semicolon years ago.

Yup, quotesfile.

Posted by Egeria (# 4517) on :

Those dumb shits who decided to join an originally peaceful protest march so that they would have a chance to vandalize local businesses (including my usual grocery store, which has had its windows smashed). Tell me, dumb shits, has Trader Joe's endorsed excessive force by police in another part of the country? And if you really cared about social justice, dumb shits, you wouldn't be taking out your dumb shit rage on innocent bystanders and destroying the credibility of your cause at the same time.

And incidentally been the cause of that helicopter hovering directly over my building, sometimes close enough to make the wall heater rattle, for the past three hours or so.

Posted by Vulpior (# 12744) on :

The prayers of the people is the part of the service where you take your turn leading intercessions on behalf of the whole church community. It's not the place where you deliver a mini sermon on the limits of compassion, the need for repentance, the evils of abortion or the God-given plan for marriage.

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

quote:
St. Gwladys: Humanist funerals - went to one yesterday - the first I have been to.
[Confused]

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

Bloody stupid tedious achey arm shoulder nerve pain thingy. Rubbish useless drugs call yourself an analgesic. Sodding pointless heat pad.

TICTH Nick Clegg and the entire LibDem party for kow-towing to the Tories in a desperate bid for power.

What made you think that the numbers that don't add up now did so last year, the year before or even in May 2010?

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

ICTH the cretinous, tin-eared Sunday School mother who just called to tell me she didn't think the 'song' at communion was 'sppropriate for kiddies'.

It was Orlando Gibbons This is the record of John - how is that inappropriate for anyone, never mind your lumpen, overweight, dull-eyed offspring.

FTR I think it 'inappropriate' for your 6 year old daughter to attend church in fancy dress - at least I assume you thought it was a costume for her to be dressed like a c1980s hooker?

TICTH lyric videos.

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

I suggest that we have an all-shipamtes moment of prayer for that mother. Next thing, she'll b decrying Messiah.

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

Messiah!!! Are you MAD?

It talks about all sorts of unsuitable things for kiddies: death, suffering, rejection.

And besides, at longer than an EP its far too long.

TICTH this whole fucked up project. Why oh why did you hire me to remove your redundancies/clear up your structure/simplify your language (at vast expense of death to my brain cells) ...

....if you were only going to bloody put everything fucking well back????

WHYohWHYohYoYOYOY....

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
ICTH the cretinous, tin-eared Sunday School mother who just called to tell me she didn't think the 'song' at communion was 'sppropriate for kiddies'.

It was Orlando Gibbons This is the record of John - how is that inappropriate for anyone, never mind your lumpen, overweight, dull-eyed offspring.

FTR I think it 'inappropriate' for your 6 year old daughter to attend church in fancy dress - at least I assume you thought it was a costume for her to be dressed like a c1980s hooker?

I'm glad you TICTH this because it made me You Tube the piece. Great stuff! And what a dork that woman is to think otherwise!

Posted by Barefoot Friar (# 13100) on :

TICTH militant fundamentalists who can't let people discuss something of interest without butting in to tell us, in no uncertain terms, that we're all wrong and going to burn in hell's fires for eternity if we don't immediately recant our horrid, sinful words and ask Jesus into our hearts to be our personal savior.

It almost makes me wish eternal conscious torment was real, so I could give 'em a taste.

But not for eternity. That would just be cruel.

TICTH friggin' bureaucracies, and their lack of paying attention, listening, and understanding--and inability to change their minds.
[Mad]

{Splits bureaucracy wide open, and pours compassion, empathy, and common sense in...and some comfort food, so they'll play nicely.}

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

TICTH pedestrians who start to cross the road just as the traffic lights turn green.

TICTH 1) my boss; 2) workplace bullying

1 & 2 may not be wholly unrelated.

Posted by la vie en rouge (# 10688) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
TICTH 1) my boss; 2) workplace bullying

1 & 2 may not be wholly unrelated.

Handy advice* from a former work’s council member/staff representative:

What you need are written traces of your mistreatment. Unless your boss is a complete idiot, they are presumably not bullying you in writing.

Here's what you do: send an email to your colleagues complaining, ranting and whingeing about your poor sad lot. ‘It’s not fair, why does s/he always speak to me like that, I didn’t do nuffink etc. etc.’ With a bit of luck (because this is the sort of thing people like getting involved in) one or more of your colleagues will send a sympathetic reply along the lines of ‘you poor thing, it’s not your fault, you know what s/he’s like’. And that, my friend, is a written trace of an incident of you getting bullied. If you can get a few of these on different occasions, even better. Stick that baby safely in a folder in your inbox titled ‘Personal and Confidential’.

Now, here’s the really cunning bit. You don’t need the permission of the sender of the aforementioned email to show it to the powers that be. Your name is in the ‘to’ field, so it belongs to you and you are at liberty to show it to whomever you like. And you never know when that thing might come in handy.

*I know, in hell [Disappointed] . But’s it’s quite sneaky and devious advice, so I’m hoping I’ll get away with it [Two face]

Before a hellhost shows up to puncture me--

Don't just save that sucker, print it out and take it home. Also forward to home email. If you think the PTB aren't going through your computer, you're naïve.

And be careful to stick to facts only "I can't believe he told me to edit all 30 volumes of the Britannica by Monday!" rather than throwing nasty names and vague accusations ("He's so mean") around. The former are more likely to be verifiable as actual real events, and even if they can't find outside verification, your coworkers' sympathetic response suggests rather strongly they are witnesses (or at least know that he is the sort who would do such a thing).

Okay,...OUCH!...to keep that pitchfork away from my rear OUCH! OUCH OUCH! ... TICTH lovely, lovely dental pain caused by having a wee bit of your jaw break off when the dentist can't get his drill through your ever-loving heavy-duty bone, and has to bring out the big guns. We hates bone pain, my precioussssss, we hates it forever with a passion.

TICTH the driver of Newport bus YN53 GYY.

If a potential passenger knocks on the door that you have just closed, before you have moved off, it really isn't a good idea to flash your best sarcastic grin at that passenger. Newport just isn't that big a town.

Posted by Prester John (# 5502) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Egeria:
Those dumb shits who decided to join an originally peaceful protest march so that they would have a chance to vandalize local businesses (including my usual grocery store, which has had its windows smashed). Tell me, dumb shits, has Trader Joe's endorsed excessive force by police in another part of the country? And if you really cared about social justice, dumb shits, you wouldn't be taking out your dumb shit rage on innocent bystanders and destroying the credibility of your cause at the same time.

And incidentally been the cause of that helicopter hovering directly over my building, sometimes close enough to make the wall heater rattle, for the past three hours or so.

Don't worry. Thursday's super storm will wash all of the jagoffs away.

TICTH people starting tangents and offering perhaps questionable advice. Sioni made killing the last iteration his last stylish act for a reason. Do you lot not know to respect the last wishes of the departed?

Solemn bow towards Hostly Bowler in its reliquary.

THREAD CLOSED.

And it stays closed.

—Ariston, Hellhost

© Ship of Fools 2016