Thread: Calling Chick-Fil-A to that flame-broiled grill in the Great Beyond Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=028057

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais (in the Circus, on the 2014 Celebrity Death Poll thread):
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Let us hope that S. Truett Cathy, the founder of the Chick-Fil-A fast food empire, whose conservative stance against same-sex marriage prompted a boycott, is not refusing to serve same-sex couples at the heavenly banquet.

This guy ought to be given a food franchise, with exclusively gay and lesbian customers.
Just want to say that I lunched at a Chick-Fil-A today.

The place was so Tea Party that I wanted to pour milk and sugar all over the floor. I'd be surprised if any of the clientele weren't fundamentalist Christians. The manager, dressed like a Mormon missionary, visited from table to table asking us what plans we had for the afternoon, how far we had to travel for Thanksgiving, etc. I expected him to ask if I had accepted Jesus as my personal savior.

The oriental chicken salad was very good, but for about $1.00 more I could have had unlimited soup and salad at Applebee's, served on china, not styrofoam, and with unlimited beverage refills. No senior discount was offered. I won't be back.

Posted by RooK (# 1852) on :

Sure, it's just a fast food chain. And, OK, it's (previous?) stance on same-sex anything was only a few notches a way from full troglodyte. But those chicken fillet sandwiches, man. Fucking voodoo action mixed with cocaine and unicorn tears.

If they were bought out by IN-N-OUT and opened up a combo-location in PDX, I'd savour-gasm myself into an early coronary.

Posted by Doc Tor (# 9748) on :

I thought we had a rule about posting in English? [Paranoid]

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

quote:
The oriental chicken salad was very good, but for about $1.00 more I could have had unlimited soup and salad at Applebee's, served on china, not styrofoam, and with unlimited beverage refills. No senior discount was offered. I won't be back.

And for this pathetic reason you started an entire Hell thread?

What a completely First World problem.

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

No, dear, Miss Amanda started the thread to comment on the totality of her experience. So the First World isn't allowed to have problems, then?

Posted by Anglican't (# 15292) on :

Having never been to the United States, I've never had the opportunity to see or visit a Chick-Fil-A. How am I supposed to pronounce the name? Chick-Fill-Uh or Chick-Fill-Ay or something else?

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

quote:
So the First World isn't allowed to have problems, then?

Good question!

But having to endure a poor restaurant is a petty small problem, is it not?

You answered your own dilemma anyway - don't go again, vote with your feet.

Problem solved.

Next?

Posted by Brenda Clough (# 18061) on :

I make it a personal policy to never dine at fast food outlets. In fact I avoid all chain restaurants, unless the chain is numbered in the low single digits. There are plenty of small businesses that need my support, and the food is =definitely= better.

Posted by Ariston (# 10894) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
...the food is =definitely= better.

Learn to fucking format your damn posts already! Seriously, are you this dense with your copyeditors? If so, here's a piece of unsolicited advice, from publisher to author: your picture graces the center of their dartboards.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

My dear Miss Amanda, whatever possessed you to even try that place? Will you be shopping in Hobby Lobby next? Listening to Fox "news"?

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Sure, it's just a fast food chain. And, OK, it's (previous?) stance on same-sex anything was only a few notches a way from full troglodyte. But those chicken fillet sandwiches, man. Fucking voodoo action mixed with cocaine and unicorn tears.

If they were bought out by IN-N-OUT and opened up a combo-location in PDX, I'd savour-gasm myself into an early coronary.

You must have better Chick-Fil-As in your area than mine. I tried a sandwich here once and I was definitely unimpressed.

Posted by Jon in the Nati (# 15849) on :

quote:
The place was so Tea Party that I wanted to pour milk and sugar all over the floor.
How's that? I regularly dine at a location of this restaurant in a pretty Tea Party area of the country and have never noticed anything of the sort. Please expand on that.

quote:
I'd be surprised if any of the clientele weren't fundamentalist Christians.
Because [reasons]?

quote:
The manager, dressed like a Mormon missionary [...]
My God! You mean the manager of a fast food restaurant was well-groomed and wore a shirt and tie? How unusual; we must be in God's Own Country now!

quote:
visited from table to table asking us what plans we had for the afternoon, how far we had to travel for Thanksgiving, etc.
Well what the fuck is he thinking? Being nice to folk and all. What I can't understand is what you think this kind of niceness, cloying though it is, has to do with being Mormon, or Tea Party, or fundamentalist Christian, or any combination of the three. I find myself wondering if your jimmies always get this rustled when someone goes out of their way to be nice to you, or if it only happens when you think that person is of a different political persuasion than you are.

quote:
I expected him to ask if I had accepted Jesus as my personal savior.
Sounds like he didn't, though. In which case, what the fuck are you on about?

quote:
[...] but for about $1.00 more I could have had unlimited soup and salad at Applebee's [...]
Then vote with your precious dollar and go to Applebee's.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

quote:
No, dear, Miss Amanda started the thread to comment on the totality of her experience. So the First World isn't allowed to have problems, then?

It's a pathetic OP, the sort of petulant whinge more suited to a spoilt child than a grown man. I can't believe you'd actually start a Hell thread to complain that you didn't get unlimited soup and salad and that what you did get (which you admit was actually quite nice and that the manager was attentive) was served, O horror, not on china plates. Such terrible injustice!

Actually, it isn't a Hell thread, it's a Heck thread. Though when I think of the people in refugee camps who'd give a great deal, if they had it, to be able to walk into a restaurant and order a meal, and who wouldn't give a monkey's whether it was served on bone china or a piece of linoleum, it does make me angry that you think this kind of self-indulgent crap is worthy of an entire Hell thread.

Posted by Mere Nick (# 11827) on :

quote:

If you call any of that a problem then you wouldn't know a problem if it woke you in the middle of the night gnawing on your ass.

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

The OP sounds like Miss Amanda got the Ship confused with Yelp.

Why, oh why won't people think of the refugee camps?!? The refugee camps!!!

Because Miss Amanda couldn't possibly be using haughty snark about the quality of fast food to vent about something symbolically significant - such as a gay person setting foot in an establishment quasi-famous for homophobic agenda after the homophobic owner dies. Because that would be too gay.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

I got used to the popcorn gallery when I was a Hellhost but haven't seen the sandalistas out in force for some time.

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

"Sandalistas"! [Snigger]

On one hand, Chick-Fil-A (and honestly, what kind of name is that for a restaurant chain? It sounds like a slice of genetic code) is a place where, God willing, I'll never have to see, let alone step foot inside.

On the other, I'm sure their 'meals' provide cheap protein/corn syrup/hormones/anti-biotics to their target clientele at an acceptable cost (to their health, life expectancy and wallet).

All in all, it sounds perfectly ghastly, but what the hell did you expect? Of course, back here in Blessed Albion we have the food of the gods.

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

Look, if fundamentalists want to give themselves malnutrition and hasten their deaths by eating crap food, just let 'em.

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:

All in all, it sounds perfectly ghastly, but what the hell did you expect? Of course, back here in Blessed Albion we have the food of the gods.

Pah! You don't want to worship anything that subsists on a Gregg's cheese slice. OTOH, any afterlife serving this would be worth entering in upon.

[ 03. December 2014, 09:16: Message edited by: Firenze ]

[Projectile]

No neeps!

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

I loved this: https://www.flickr.com/photos/39608000@N03/5966202753/?rb=1

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

What is the point of having a breaded piece of chicken (or fish, for that matter) then put into more bread? It makes the humble chip butty look positively healthy.

<tangent>
Underneath the golden arches the fi*et-o-f*sh gives you less fish than the children's f*shfinger happy meal - just saying...<tangent over>

Posted by Tortuf (# 3784) on :

Miss Amandas feelings are Miss Amandas feelings. You can argue that your feelings are not the same. Arguing that her feelings are not right is - well . . . an interesting exercise in something or another.

Like many other aspects of life Chick-Fil-A is a conglomeration of good and bad. Bad in that they are openly condemning of homosexuality. That is sad and - to my mind - a misunderstanding of what God wants from us. For instance, I am pretty sure that God did not appear to the owners as a flaming bush and say "Go forth and judge homosexuality." Could be wrong. You never know.

Does Miss Amanda deserve crapola for posting about her experience and feelings? It was in Hell and the Ship is the Ship. I hope everyone who condemned her feels better about themselves now.

Chick-Fil-A is also a generous employer with good benefits.

We are all a combination of good and bad - except RooK, who is all shining light and goodness knows. Accepting our bad parts, and the bad parts of others is - in my experience - part of being closer to God who already knows we are a combination of good and bad; light and dark.

So much for my rambling. Carry on.

Posted by The Silent Acolyte (# 1158) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
How am I supposed to pronounce the name? Chick-Fill-Uh or Chick-Fill-Ay or something else?

You pronounce it, chick fillet.

Isn't that obvious?

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

quote:
[Projectile]

No neeps!

Anything not battered and/or deep fried, is no part of a Haggis Supper.

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

Not to a Brit. We pronounce fillet as it's spelt - to rhyme with skillet.

Filet, spelt the French way, would be prounced fil-ay, but you only see that on restaurant menus.

It was only recently that I figured the name was a pun.

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
[Projectile]

No neeps!

Call me a traditionalist, but if it's not bashed neeps and tatties, I'm not interested.

Posted by Gill H (# 68) on :

Sorry, cross posted. Mine was a reply to The Silent Acolyte.

It's not a pun. 'Merkins can't spell for shit.

quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:

Like many other aspects of life Chick-Fil-A is a conglomeration of good and bad. Bad in that they are openly condemning of homosexuality. That is sad and - to my mind - a misunderstanding of what God wants from us. For instance, I am pretty sure that God did not appear to the owners as a flaming bush and say "Go forth and judge homosexuality." Could be wrong. You never know.

I agree with their view that it is wrong to engage in such acts. However, it is chicken they are selling and I don't buy bland tasting chicken. Especially when they don't have beer on tap. We normally go to Rocky's instead. There's nothing like chicken with seasoning that could eat through stainless steel, along with a side of fried okra and a local draft brew.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

Or if fast food is all that's available, a Popeye's Po'boy kicks ass over anything Chick-Fil-A has to offer.

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Or if fast food is all that's available, a Popeye's Po'boy kicks ass over anything Chick-Fil-A has to offer.

The nearest one is over an hour away. We might try it sometime the next time we take a trip.

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

I think it's at least 20 years ago that I've set food in any fast food place.

They come in handy when we are travelling and want something quick and predictable. We did go into a McDonalds while shopping Sunday afternoon. Wife needed a bathroom, I needed a cup of coffee.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
[Projectile]

No neeps!

Call me a traditionalist, but if it's not bashed neeps and tatties, I'm not interested.
And we wonder why the world mocks food from this sceptered isle.

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

From Cornish pasties at one end, to Arbroath Smokies at the other, and in between a thousand types of cheese, pie, ale, bread and sausage. Our riches overflow... [Cool]

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

From Cornish pasties at one end, to Arbroath Smokies at the other, and in between a thousand types of cheese, pie, ale, bread and sausage. Our riches overflow... [Cool]
/So long as pork pie isn't mentioned, we're OK/

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

Gah! A proper, handmade pork pie, with choice cuts of pork and short, glazed pastry: it's a thing of beauty, I tell you.

quote:
quote:

Gah! A proper, handmade pork pie, with choice cuts of pork and short, glazed pastry: it's a thing of beauty, I tell you.
I too love a good pork pie. Ariston however ....

Posted by Uncle Pete (# 10422) on :

As for McDonald's I always use their washrooms when on a trip because they are the most disabled-friendly toilets in Canada. I just flush harder so my residue arrives quicker in the "kitchen".

Posted by Ariston (# 10894) on :

quote:
quote:

Pork pies and sausage rolls: for God's sake, what's with You People and ruining sometimes good pastry by shoving glorified spam into it?

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:
As for McDonald's I always use their washrooms when on a trip because they are the most disabled-friendly toilets in Canada. I just flush harder so my residue arrives quicker in the "kitchen".

Oh, you're the guy who makes the McRib.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

quote:
quote:
quote:

I too love a good pork pie. Ariston however ....
Define good. Choice cuts of meat, aye, but we might differ on the amount of congealed ingredients that still manages the appellation "good". There are items that are wonderful, Cornish pasties as mentioned. Beers and cheeses...drool And Chips! No one does chips better, save perhaps the Belgians. (Stupid, Skinny improperly cooked American "fries") But overall...?

Travel around the world and one finds French restaurants, Italian restaurants, Indian restaurants, etc. and British pubs.
David Mitchell says it best.

If it is a Melton Mowbray Pork Pie then it is good. Accept no other. Take it out of the fridge about half an hour before you eat it to let the flavour develop.

quote:
Originally posted by Mere Nick:
quote:

The nearest one is over an hour away. We might try it sometime the next time we take a trip.
Worth it.

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

I'm sure there's a perfectly good Heaven thread in here somewhere, where you can all share your personal idea of the best way to get a cheap hit of cholesterol into your system.

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

quote:
If it is a Melton Mowbray Pork Pie then it is good. Accept no other. Take it out of the fridge about half an hour before you eat it to let the flavour develop.

Leave it for a week and it'll develop in a completely new direction. It will also off-set the weight-gaining effects of the calories contained therein.

Posted by deano (# 12063) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:

Leave it for a week and it'll develop in a completely new direction. It will also off-set the weight-gaining effects of the calories contained therein.
Ooh I love a good growler. All warm and juicy and with a lovely bite when you get your mouth around it! Karl... Watson and Brown on Whittington Moor. You wont be able to get one for Christmas because they stop taking orders in October but you can get one if you just turn up in the day.

Oh, and OP... when he got to your table, why didn't you ball up a fist, summon up your courage and... twat the bastard?

quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Not to a Brit. We pronounce fillet as it's spelt - to rhyme with skillet.

Filet, spelt the French way, would be pronounced fil-ay, but you only see that on restaurant menus.

It was only recently that I figured the name was a pun.

That would have been the point of my post—to make you stumble into chick-fil-let—were you to have been able to glimpse across the supercilious spelling conventions immuring your blinkered isle. Here, spelt is a kind of grain.

Despite the redoubtable RooK's assertion, American can spell.
quote:
From one source:
Fillet and filet are another traditional bone of contention. Though they’re variant spellings of the same word, some editors have chosen to use fillet for fish and filet for meat. But not the AP [Associated Press style guide]: Here it’s fillet (“a boneless cut”) either way, except in filet mignon and, of course, Filet-O-Fish.

quote:
Originally posted by deano:

Oh, and OP... when he got to your table, why didn't you ball up a fist, summon up your courage and... twat the bastard?

That would be gutsy. What if he really was a Mormon missionary. Everybody knows it ain't nuthin' for a Mormon missionary to whup a man's ass.

Preach. Why do you think they wear short sleeved dress shirts? so they don't have to roll their sleeves up...

Posted by Leaf (# 14169) on :

quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
Despite the redoubtable RooK's assertion, American can spell.

No it can't.

Nice fucking job, TSA. Think the UK grammar police will ever let us forget that one? Nope.

Damn right. Just trying to parse that sentence made my eyes bleed.

Posted by Tubbs (# 440) on :

quote:
Nice fucking job, TSA. Think the UK grammar police will ever let us forget that one? Nope.

[Big Grin]

Tubbs

quote:
Damn right. Just trying to parse that sentence made my eyes bleed.

It seems to me a good treatment for bleeding eyes is to drink beer. Your eyes will still bleed but beer tastes good.

Mmmm. Beer.

Posted by ThunderBunk (# 15579) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
quote:

[Big Grin]

Tubbs

Always happy to keep the flame alive.

quote:

But it's not really a fucking grammar problem nor a fucking spelling problem is it? It was a fucking typographical or editing problem.

Don't be so fucking picky.

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

quote:
A proper, handmade pork pie, with choice cuts of pork and short, glazed pastry: it's a thing of beauty, I tell you.

Is something made with "choice cuts of pork" truly a pork pie? Most things like meat pies were made from cheap shit -- a way to use up leftovers and cheap cuts that aren't good enough to stand on a plate on their own. I'm having a hard time thinking that a pie made with "choice cuts" is anything like authentic.

Posted by Palimpsest (# 16772) on :

The cheap cuts go into the sausages... and that short pastry.

Posted by mdijon (# 8520) on :

As the dodgily-attributed-to-Bismarck quote goes, "to retain respect for sausages and laws, one must not watch them in the making."

Dons hostly furry hat

Miss Amanda has petitioned the Commissars for the closure of this now-pie-and-sausage-infested thread. We have concluded that pork pies are nothing but a tool of Capitalist lackeys, and the less said about those decadent wurst the better.

To the gulag with them both. Thread closed.

Doc Tor
Hell Host

© Ship of Fools 2016