Thread: NFL: The only reason to go to NJ in February Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=028109

Posted by moron (# 206) on :

I note with much satisfaction Tim is now a Patriot (learning from Bill Belicheck AND Tom Brady [Overused] and earning his money as he goes - no guarantees), having not compromised his stance on playing quarterback. This young man is admirable in so many ways...

anyway, it is likely other things will happen in the league this year and here is a chance to comment.

TIA.

[Edited to make change to thread title.]

[ 02. January 2014, 10:18: Message edited by: Imaginary Friend ]

Posted by the giant cheeseburger (# 10942) on :

quote:
Originally posted by moron:
This young man is admirable in so many ways...

Indeed, all he does is win.

Posted by Og, King of Bashan (# 9562) on :

Hmmm, maybe it's time to rename the thread. If he can't find work (and that's still a big if, as the Bills are starting an undrafted rookie on Sunday as of this moment) I'd anticipate a bidding war between ESPN and the new Fox Sports network for his services as a College Football analyst- slight edge to ESPN as the home of the SEC.

Now then, it's prediction time.

AFC East: Patriots
AFC North: Ravens
AFC South: Texans
AFC West: Broncos
AFC Wild Card: Bengals, Chiefs

AFC Champion: Broncos (biased pick alert!)

NFC East: Redskins, provided RG3's legs remain attached.
NFC North: Packers
NFC South: Falcons
NFC West: 49ers
NFC Wildcard: Seahawks, Giants

NFC Champion: Seahawks.

Yea, I just want to have an all-AFC West of my childhood Superbowl.

Anyone willing to be more daring than me? Any takers on the Eagles attempts to use a college attack in the NFL?

And while we are at it, what game time snack are you most looking forward to? My wife has chicken wings down to an art, slowly grilled to perfection and dipped in just enough butter and Frank's Red Hot infused sauce to get your fingers nice and messy.

(Edited to add a missed apostrophe, and for some reason I decided to keep the Chiefs in my playoff picks- whoo boy.)

[ 03. September 2013, 21:59: Message edited by: Og, King of Bashan ]

Posted by Imaginary Friend (# 186) on :

I hate to be a pedant, since I don't really follow football, but didn't Tebow get cut from the Pats?

Posted by the giant cheeseburger (# 10942) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
I hate to be a pedant, since I don't really follow football, but didn't Tebow get cut from the Pats?

Yes.

That would be the origin of the "if he can't find work..." speculation in the post above yours.

People who actually pay some attention to NFL have told me he's a fair bit better than many other quarterbacks in the NFL, but he's simply unfortunate that the other two at the Patriots are both better than him. I suppose it's a bit like being the 5th best runner in a relay team, it won't matter how much better you are than all the other teams.

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
Hmmm, maybe it's time to rename the thread.

How about "watching paint dry" maybe? With three months between posts this is a fair debunking of any American claims about cricket being boring [Big Grin]

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

I'm not going to make any predictions. I'll just be happy to see my Giants in the Playoffs!

quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger:
People who actually pay some attention to NFL have told me he's a fair bit better than many other quarterbacks in the NFL, but he's simply unfortunate that the other two at the Patriots are both better than him. I suppose it's a bit like being the 5th best runner in a relay team, it won't matter how much better you are than all the other teams.

There is no doubt that Tebow was one of the greatest college players of all time. He probably fits more into the mold of some of the great Nebraska QBs that I grew up hating, who ran a triple option attack (QB can either run the ball or pitch off to a fullback or running back) that no one could stop. None of them did much in the NFL, despite a few of them playing four years in college and losing so few games that you can count them on one hand. The style works in college because you probably only have two or three guys of the 11 on the defense who are pro quality players. There is less speed, less discipline, less ability to read the play, and they don't hit as hard.

Gimmick offenses work for a short time in the NFL, but teams are usually fast enough and smart enough to figure them out. Based on his time with the Broncos, to win with Tebow you need a defense who keeps you in games late when you are going 3 and out on possession after possession, and you have to hope that he doesn't get injured. 16 games of running for your life doesn't do much for your longevity. And that was just half a season- there is no telling what would have happened once teams started seeing more tape of him.

The guy works hard, believes in himself, is an overall good person as far as I can tell, and I know that he will be successful in some field. But based on what works in the NFL year in and year out (ability to read the defense, and make quick and accurate passes), he probably ranks below many starters who play for bad teams and who would not be considered "elite" quarterbacks, to use the term preferred by ESPN. Getting cut by the Patriots was one thing. Getting cut by the Jets, who have an abysmal quarterback situation, is more telling.

Posted by Caissa (# 16710) on :

Tebow needs to try to catch on at a different position than QB. Unless he wants to play in the Arena league.

Posted by Ariston (# 10894) on :

quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger:
quote:
Hmmm, maybe it's time to rename the thread.

How about "watching paint dry" maybe? With three months between posts this is a fair debunking of any American claims about cricket being boring [Big Grin]
Or, you know, a reflection of the fact that football season just started last week, so there hasn't been much too discuss for the last three months.

I was obviously happy with the Broncos' start, but I am a little amused to think that down the line that game will be remembered as a Peyton Manning record setting performance rather than a farcically sloppy opening game. Between Baltimore's Jones' own man running into him and causing him to sprain a knee on one punt, Welker's fumble of a second end-zone bound punt, a third punt being blocked (how often does that happen in the pros?), Harbaugh's failure to challenge on an obvious incomplete pass, and Danny Trevathan's pick-6-turned dumbest play of the season, I was a little alarmed. Do they make pro football players do sprints for those kind of plays, or is that too demeaning to a pro who is angry enough at himself? The Broncos will need to find a pass rush in Miller's absence over the next few games. It got better toward the end, but they were playing against a backup rookie blind-side tackle and a QB with limited options.

Oh well, they still covered the spread. (I'm not a gambler, but the Queen of Bashan talked me into a joint entry in a pool run by some old co-workers she wants to keep in contact with. We couldn't be more of a Bud Light commercial in our game picking sessions if we tried- I am convinced that I am smart enough to find the obscure statistic that will be the game changer, she wants to bet on the Eagles because her best friend is from Philly.)

Posted by Hedgehog (# 14125) on :

This Sunday is the London-based NFL game: the 0-3 Minnesota Vikings vs the 0-3 Pittsburgh Steelers.

Any shipmates planning on attending? Is there any talk about it in London circles?

Posted by jbohn (# 8753) on :

Two of my favorite teams, both stinking it up so far this season... [Disappointed]

I'm not convinced that the NFL needs a global audience, but judging by the way they pick the game that goes to London every year, they are dead set against convincing people from outside the States that this game is actually fun and exciting. Then again, if you sent the Broncos and the Patriots to London, they might get a good game, but you would have a very pissed off set of season ticket holders in either Denver or Boston. The fans in Minnesota probably won't mind having an extra Sunday afternoon to work in the garage this season.

Posted by moonlitdoor (# 11707) on :

I am not the most knowledgeable of audience but I enjoyed the Vikings against Steelers game on television. It was the closest match so far of those that have been played here. I was supporting Minnesota so delighted when they sacked Roethlisberger to prevent the tying score. I am always a bit mystified how come when there is very little time left, the team that is behind so often seems to gain yards really easily.

I have always had a soft spot for Matt Cassel so was pleased he did a decent job in his first game as replacement.

Glad that you got a good game.

As for the team that is down gaining yards at the end of the game, that is probably the result of the team that is ahead playing a "prevent" defense. The team with the ball needs to get down the field quickly, and wants to stop the clock at the end of every play, so they usually are not going to run the ball. The defense can put the minimum number of players on the line, and then have a bunch of defensive backs about ten yards back. You give up ten yard gains, but make it harder for a receiver to get open deep and break open a big play.

Posted by moonlitdoor (# 11707) on :

what puzzles me, Og King of Bashan, is that that sort of defence seems very ineffective. The team in possession seems to be able to run plays very quickly, and with short passes can get from their end to the other end in only a minute or so if the defence does not press them.

But I am quite an ill informed observer. We get Sunday night football on free to air tv here ( the others need subscription channels ), and I sometimes record it and watch during the week. The time difference precludes seeing it live.

Posted by Pooks (# 11425) on :

quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:
what puzzles me, Og King of Bashan, is that that sort of defence seems very ineffective. The team in possession seems to be able to run plays very quickly, and with short passes can get from their end to the other end in only a minute or so if the defence does not press them.

I am also puzzled like you. For example, the Chargers seem to use this kind of defense throughout their matches and it is always torture to watch them give up yards after yards seemingly unable to stop the opposing team. Is it because they are just not good enough to stop the opposing team or is it designed to work this way?

I guess I just don't quite get the finer point of the chess match that is being played out on the field. [Help]

As long as you are giving up field goals rather than touchdowns a prevent works very good with a large lead or late in the game. My Pats in the past have often frustrated me by giving up tons of yards only to hold the opposition to field goal attempts while Brady scores touchdowns on our behalf.

Posted by Pooks (# 11425) on :

Hi Caissa. Yes, I understand what you're saying. Except, the Chargers were giving up touchdowns. [Waterworks]

Also can anyone tell me what's going on with the Giants? I can see the team doesn't seem to be able to get it together at this point of the season, but I don't understand why.

Apparently the Broncos-Cowboys game was a classic, but I managed to miss the end, thanks to the Blessing of the Animals at my church- the Cowboys had just taken the lead as I pulled in three minutes before choir call. I didn't hear the final score until after the service- I was somewhat convinced throughout that they had lost.

Going to the game next week, as my in-laws are in Rome and can't use their tickets. As I have said in the past, the seats are right behind seats reserved for family and friends of first and second year players, so we usually get to sit behind some folks who are just psyched that their buddy made it to the NFL; that is always half of the fun of the game. They are usually pretty easy to spot, as most people who wear jerseys to the game don't have the name of an offensive lineman on the back.

quote:
Apparently the Broncos-Cowboys game was a classic

One of the best ever and fortunately I recorded it. As one pundit said: Manning can beat you even if you play, as Romo did, a nearly perfect game.

Kurt Warner (who of course knows as well as anyone) had good advice for Tim recently: go somewhere anywhere where you can get repetitions to strengthen your game.

Although I imagine potential Canadian opponents are cringing thinking about trying to tackle the guy... [Paranoid]

The Dread Double Post...

just now watching Broncos v. Jaguars and very pleased to note Shannon Sharpe is announcing - an exceptional talent.

And I predict the remaining 1972 Dolphins will be watching the Broncos play with great interest for some time. [Biased]

Plus: how about those Chiefs?

Posted by Amazing Grace (# 95) on :

quote:
I'm not convinced that the NFL needs a global audience, but judging by the way they pick the game that goes to London every year, they are dead set against convincing people from outside the States that this game is actually fun and exciting. Then again, if you sent the Broncos and the Patriots to London, they might get a good game, but you would have a very pissed off set of season ticket holders in either Denver or Boston. The fans in Minnesota probably won't mind having an extra Sunday afternoon to work in the garage this season.

Two games in London this year. The Niners are going to the next one. They are, however, playing the hapless Jags so this isn't necessarily a data point against your hypothesis.

I presume the Jags are "hosting" because this is the last year in Candlestick Park and the home fans would be loath to have one less game on the schedule.

Could be- Shahid Kahn, who owns the Jaguars, recently purchased Fulham F.C., a London-based team in the Premiere League. Although the arrangement probably came about before that sale, he probably had it on his radar, and I presume he would be particularly interested in trying to see if he can use his in on the London sporting scene to create buzz for his NFL team.

That's useful information!

It is a Jags "home" game - I could have, of course, looked it up but I heard it on the sports station on Friday.

The Niners are going straight to London from their game today in Tennessee so they should be well-acclimatized by the time game time rolls around. Last year they had two east coast road games in a row and Harbaugh found them a practice space so they didn't need to go back to SF.

Today's game in Tennessee was, unusually, a 4 pm eastern start, so 1 pm (normal start time) Pacific. The Titans might say 'no way!' next time that gets offered, based on the results [Biased] .

:bounce:

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

Whistling in the dark - but after the horrendous start, the Giants have rallied. If we beat Dallas, that's 5-6 and all to play for for the playoffs. A long shot, but then we're used to that.

Ah well. ...

Posted by The5thMary (# 12953) on :

Talking about teams that are going down the drain... how 'bout those Atlanta Falcons? Oh, it's so embarrassing to be living in Atlanta these days! The hype about the Falcons going to the Super Bowl started much too early this year and I just couldn't understand why everyone was so excited, so early on in the season. After last week's trouncing by the New Orleans Saints, the Falcons are 2-9. Dreadful. And that same week, Atlanta Braves fans were dealt a harsh blow by the news that Cobb County is luring the Atlanta Braves away and building them a new stadium. What's wrong with Turner Field? AND Brian McCann is going off to play for the dreaded Yankees...

I can't wait until I go back to the Seattle area. At least the Seahawks are screwing up majorly! [Mad]

AREN'T screwing up, is what I meant to type!

C'mon! C'mon, New England Patriots! Beat the Houston Texans! I can't stand anything that comes from Texas.

There are very few places that I disdain enough to justify rooting for a Boston based team, especially the Patriots.

We had our Advent lessons and carols last night, perfectly timed to coincide with the fourth quarter of the Bronco game. We are usually pretty good about turning off all electrical devices in the choir, but this time, both the Dec and Can sides had a self-appointed score watcher risking the wrath of the choirmaster (he's a baseball fan).

quote:
There are very few places that I disdain enough to justify rooting for a Boston based team, especially the Patriots.

We had our Advent lessons and carols last night, perfectly timed to coincide with the fourth quarter of the Bronco game. We are usually pretty good about turning off all electrical devices in the choir, but this time, both the Dec and Can sides had a self-appointed score watcher risking the wrath of the choirmaster (he's a baseball fan).

Oooo, I remember when I lived in the Washington, D.C area. We looooved to hate on the Denver Broncos!

The Queen of Bashan and I thoroughly enjoyed the Philly-Detroit snow game yesterday. There were at least eight inches of snow on the field, it was impossible to kick a point after (Detroit even called a time out to clear a path for the kicker and a spot for the ball and it still got blocked), and every punt return was one slip away from being broken for a touchdown. At at least one point, the referee had to stop the game because he couldn't see the goal line. It was a good throwback to the days when we would use the extra padding on the ground provided by snow to play tackle rather than touch football in the school yard.

My Pats manufactured another win out of thin air.
I can't see them going far in the playoffs with the inability to play more than half a game at a time.

It says a lot about the Pats, though, that they can find themselves down at halftime and make the adjustments to turn it around. Losing Gronk is not going to help, though.

Posted by Prester John (# 5502) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Caissa:
My Pats manufactured another win out of thin air.
I can't see them going far in the playoffs with the inability to play more than half a game at a time.

The refs certainly did their part to help.

Going into the last day of the regular season, a few thoughts and predictions:

I'd call Sundays game against the Raiders a must-win for the Broncos, as I don't see the Patriots losing to Buffalo. (Naturally, I don't see the Broncos losing to Oakland either- that would be a truly odd result.)

As for the final team in the AFC wild card, I'm rooting for not Baltimore and not San Diego. Both of those teams look like the classic team that could win on the road in the wild card round and then have a good shot at sending the Broncos home in the divisional round. I'd happily take the Dolphins.

Over in the NFC, I am really looking forward to the Dallas-Philadelphia game. We generally pull for the Eagles (my wife's best friend is a lifelong Philly fan). That said, we both have soft spots for Kyle Orton. He was never more than mildly competent in Denver, but we always felt a little bad that he was the guy with the bad luck to be in the way of Tebow mania. (My pick is Philly, who have the look of one of those teams that is just going to slide into the playoffs on a hot streak and cause some trouble in the playoffs.)

And now that Rodgers is back, I think Green Bay beats Chicago.

Posted by Mere Nick (# 11827) on :

I always back my beloved Panthers, what with me being a good Christian, and all.

After unleashing a merciless 17-13 slaughter upon the Saints last Sunday, all the Panthers need to do is defeat the Falcons to clinch the division, a first round bye, and then a home game. However, it seems all the NFC teams are competing to see who gets whupped up on in Seattle for the NFC championship.

Some pretty exciting games today! The Niners were a part of one that could have borrowed the 2010 SF Giants' unofficial fan motto ("Torture!"). NFC West is pretty smashmouth these days.

My predictions for this weekend:

Sat.
KC over Indy- though this is a close one.
NO over Philly - New Orleans' offense will overcome any weather difficulties over a team that had trouble putting away a Romo-less Cowboys team

Sun.
Cincy over SD- When you can barely beat a division rivals second string, at home, in overtime, in a do or die situation I think it is safe to say you will likely be one and done.

SF over GB- This is not the fan in me talking, really!. Harbaugh's track record against GB is 3-0 and the 9ers are on the upswing.

Yes, I once questioned Peyton's ability to come back.

Arrgh.

What's cool though is thinking he may have extended his playing years by two or three by taking one off.

And watching the Raiders flail I, being me, can't help but wonder where young Brother Timothy was, and what God is teaching him.

Posted by jbohn (# 8753) on :

Thank God this season is over for us, sayeth the Vikings fan... [Disappointed]

quote:
Originally posted by Prester John:
My predictions for this weekend:

Sat.
KC over Indy- though this is a close one.
NO over Philly - New Orleans' offense will overcome any weather difficulties over a team that had trouble putting away a Romo-less Cowboys team

Sun.
Cincy over SD- When you can barely beat a division rivals second string, at home, in overtime, in a do or die situation I think it is safe to say you will likely be one and done.

SF over GB- This is not the fan in me talking, really!. Harbaugh's track record against GB is 3-0 and the 9ers are on the upswing.

I dunno. Rodgers will be out for revenge! But it's probably going to be a low-scoring game in that weather.

Agree with you on Cincy, but I think Philly is the "team that is streaking now" and NoLa isn't fab on the road. They're the other team that is getting screwed by the seeding this year.

KC and Indy - could be a pick'em.

Wow, that was an exciting day of football yesterday. One team battling back from a four-score deficit, one game ping-ponging the lead and getting decided in the last seconds. That first game was about as good as American football gets and will be remembered in game history.

The Saints break their bad postseason streak (their prize is to go up to Seattle, LOL), the Chiefs do not.

Couldn't believe what happened in KCC-Colts. (Not doing well in College Football either; Oklahoma beating Alabama was a big shock.)

But these massive turnaround games are always marvellous to watch. Can they? Can't they. Surely they can't? Oh yes they can!! Wow! Did you see that coming?

Well, I didn't. Think I'll leave forecasting on the shelf ...

Changed my mind. Reckon its Bengals and Packers to go through. Packers-49ers is close, but Rodgers is outstanding - and fresh. Bengals should handle Chargers more easily.

Posted by South Coast Kevin (# 16130) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
Wow, that was an exciting day of football yesterday. One team battling back from a four-score deficit, one game ping-ponging the lead and getting decided in the last seconds. That first game was about as good as American football gets and will be remembered in game history.

I stayed up too late last night listening to KC-Colts on the radio. Totally worth it; what a game!

Posted by Sir Kevin (# 3492) on :

Dunno if my Chargers can make it in the snow. They didn't last time. I think playoffs in non-domed stadiums discriminate against our great California teams. I lived in San Diego County for parts of ten years and never saw them successful enough to be in the playoffs. My Raiders have been in the Super Bowl a few times and Charles Phillips, an old high school football buddy, was backup quarterback for them at the Rose Bowl in 1976. I was three miles away but forced to watch it on TV.....

Looks like the Chargers-Bengals game got Good Philip Rivers and Bad Andy Dalton. I am just catching up with that game.

Hoping the Niners can get it done at the Frost Bowl.

quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
quote:

I stayed up too late last night listening to KC-Colts on the radio. Totally worth it; what a game!
Totally worth not tuning out after halftime! I thought they were toast after Q3 started with another Luck pick but they got their act together.

It went down late too ... if that last pass that Smith threw had been caught in-bounds the Chiefs probably would have redeemed themselves.

Posted by South Coast Kevin (# 16130) on :

Yeah, I nearly did quit and go to bed at halftime but with all the injuries the Chiefs were picking up (what a run of bad luck that was) I thought the match might still have some life in it. It sure had that!

The @PeytonsHead parody twitter account often does PSAs. "If you turned the game off - turn it back on again."

Niners-GB game just finished on a last-second field goal. It went back and forth. Three of the four games put the "wild" in "wild card weekend". The only one that wasn't close was the SD game.

Well I got 50%. Good thing I don't do this for a living, I would be on the dole.

All of these games were great except for the one I missed doing something more important. [Smile]

That SF game shouldn't have been as close. Refs were definitely favoring the home team.

Let's see how well I do this next round.

Sat.
Seattle over N.O.. I really think this is Seattle's year.
N.E. over Indy. The Pats are not nearly as forgiving if you turn over the ball four times.

Sun.
S.F. over Carolina. As soon as they thaw out the 49ers will be ready.

Denver over San Diego. The Broncos lackluster defense should still be able to handle Rivers and Manning will rack up enough points to win this one easily.

100%. Wrong.

Bengals had a bad day at the playoffs - again. Packers- 49ers was a good game. After Rodgers' wonder play on 4th and 2 I thought they would sneak it. Which they would have, but for that missed interception. But I think the better team did win in the end.

No more forecasting for me until the Superbowl ...

We had our first 0% week in the football pool this week. We did pick Indi, but they didn't cover.

The Broncos lost three games all season, and it just so happens that the three teams that beat them are the three teams left in the AFC playoffs. I like Denver's chances against the Bolts, as I think they would have won that game but for a terrible offside penalty on a San Diego punt that prolonged a drive and allowed Rivers to eat up almost the entire third quarter. Time of possession is going to be key.

/college tangent/

Florida State-Auburn BCS Championship Game at the Rose Bowl was fantastic to watch; a real cliffhanger. Loved it.

/end college tangent/

On the NFL playoffs, drooling at the TV watching prospects. Great match-ups. The one I'd really like to be at the most (because I'd really like to be at any of them!) is 49ers-Panthers.

That bowl game sent the BCS out with a bang!

* As much as I'd like to see "Candlestick-We're Not Dead Yet" (**) in a NO-SF matchup next weekend, I think that the home team is in a good place to win the Battle of Seattle. It's not out of the question for NO to win, but Brees and the rest of the team would need to have a near-flawless game and have help from Seattle (e.g. fumble, int).

* Andrew Luck's got the right stuff to be one of the all-time QB greats but Brady is already there and NE won't let him get away with mistakes like picks. Advantage NE but I guess last weekend's lesson was "it's not over till it's really over with this guy". Hey, it could happen.

* Holy cow, where did that Chargers D come from? They've actually got the possibility to shut Peyton down if they play that well, double-digit underdog status notwithstanding. If Peyton doesn't fold, though, it's Broncs all the way. I'd love to see Peyton in the SB because I think it's "his" year.

* If SF plays a good clean game they can win it, but it will be tough. The Panthers are very, very good and their strengths match against the Niners' own well. This is my "Pick 'em" game - the other three have potential to be runaways (if Luck and/or Brees are having bad days and Manning is on his game).

The schedules are out for the 2014 season and the AFC West and NFC West teams play each other. Brutal. Look for some epic battles, including Alex Smith playing against his old team.

** Although I can assure you from personal experience that it's a lot nicer to look at than to be at or to try to get to.

Re: next year, I always like it when the Broncos are scheduled to play the Seahawks, since they were in the same division when I was growing up. Funny to think that two years ago the two Western divisions were the laughing stocks of the league, and now we are talking about nightmare schedules. Other than the games involving the Rams and the Raiders, that should be some really entertaining football. (If they really wanted a throwback to my childhood and a chance to avoid a guaranteed blackout in the home market, they would find a way to play the Rams-Raiders game in the Coliseum or the Rose Bowl- fat chance, but it would be fun.)

Rams-Raiders in the Rose Bowl would be awesome.

I, too, am amused at the transition of both the NFC Worst and the AFC Worst to leagues to be feared on the schedule. Seattle got into the playoffs three years back (before Harbaugh started in SF) with a sub-.500 record. And two years ago Denver won the division with .500, beating Oakland on tiebreakers.

Interestingly the Raiders-SF game will be in Oakland, instead of in the schmancy new stadium the Niners have in Santa Clara. The last game was marred by fan violence so I'm surprised they didn't move the venue. There was even some talk of "would they send it to London to avoid problems".

So 100% correct this time.

For the AFC the Pats should win this one. All they have to do is have a decent running game and keep Manning on the sidelines and this is in the bag. That SD/Denver game should not have been as close as it was.

For the NFC my heart says 49ers but my head says Seahawks. That was a good game against Carolina but SF had the benefit of some lousy officiating.

I am going to miss the first half of the Pats game since my youngest son and I have tickets for the local basketball team. Pats need to establish the running game since the only person who can catch passes downfield seems to be Edelman. It would be karma if Wes Welker puts a nail in our coffin. We should never have let him get away.

Yet it was Welker's mistake that allowed New England to win the first game that otherwise would have certainly resulted in a tie. I think there will be less pressure on him given that the game is in Denver, but he wasn't himself in the San Diego game, as would be expected from someone recovering from two concussions in the last few months and wearing a special protective helmet.

The airways here in Denver are far less concerned about New England running the ball than New England exploiting the absence of starting DB Chris Harris. His departure from the San Diego game coincided with San Diego's offense coming alive. Nobody exploits something like that like Brady and Belichick. At least the backup is going to get the benefit of a full week of balls coming his way to get ready.

It should be nice here (partly cloudy with a high of 57 is the early forecast,) so maybe the Broncos will have an easier time getting the passing game going than they did in the earlier game. I think it will be close, I would not say that any team will have it "in the bag." I wouldn't be surprised if the losing team has 400+ offensive yards. For the Broncos to win, they are going to have to dominate the Patriot's offensive line, which I think they can do- despite their reputation, they are a good rushing defense, certainly better than Indianapolis. They are going to need good play from all of their receivers. If Eric Decker is getting open and making plays, it means Manning has a full arsenal at his hands and it will be a long day for the New England defense. If Manning can't depend on those third or fourth receivers, it might get ugly. And they are going to need to avoid mistakes- frankly, this game might come down to one mistake that costs one team the game.

I pick the Broncos because I am a homer.

Apparently it hasn't happened since 2004 or so that all the favorites made it out of Div Round play.

And Jim Harbaugh to the NFC Championship each of his first three years as coach! That's incredible!

As much as I dislike both the Pats and Seahawks (since this is a friendly board, I won't use my usual nicknames for the latter), I think they are in a good position to win this weekend. It's not so much Brady v. Manning, but BELICHEK v. Manning. And BB has Manning's number.

Seattle is a very, very, VERY good team and has an incredible home field advantage (made more incredible by No Sales to California Zip Codes ... stay classy you guys).

I think it's in the realm of possibility for the Niners to pull off a squeaker win in the Battle of Seattle. They are also a very, very, VERY good team. But I think only homers think they have a chance of blowing the Seahawks out. Mind you I think the Seahawks have a chance to go big if they rattle Kaep into turnovers. Clock management is going to be important (and has been tough for Kaep), and I'm down with the conventional wisdom in that it's probably going to come down to one play.

quote:
And BB has Manning's number.

Acknowledging my previous prediction record here... erm

Broncos by 8.

Peyton's closer to hanging up the cleats.

As they say in the movies, "Not today!"

I am delighted to be wrong on this. That was an epic collapse, although they showed signs of life in the fourth quarter.

ETA: hoping I'm as wrong about who wins the next game.

[ 19. January 2014, 22:09: Message edited by: Amazing Grace ]

Hot damn! Hot damn, hot damn! The Seahawks are going to the Super Bowl! Yay! What's funny about my cheering is that I didn't give a rat's ass about the Seahawks (I used to call them the Shithawks) when I actually, you know, LIVED in Seattle. Nope, back then I was all about the Mariners (and still am). I suppose my renewed interest in all things Seattle really heated up after my visit in July 2013. I realized just how much I missed the city and the West Coast in particular.

Boy, though... going up against the Denver Broncos... I think the Seahawks are in for a fight. Does anyone else think the Superbowl is way too hyped and sort of a letdown? Too many celebrities and half time shows and silliness in general...

So my preseason Super Bowl pick was dead on. Granted, I went with the two preseason favorites, so it's not much to brag about.

Poor officiating in the 49ers-Seahawks game. I think Colin Kaepernick is a terrific talent. Sad thing is that he both gave the 49ers a chance, then blew their last chance. Made a mistake, this time. Normally really good in the clutch. Seahawks D is outstanding.

Great Super Bowl to look forward to. Watching with UK friends, sorting out 'which home'. Think Broncos will just do it. Peyton has been brilliant this season and I'd like to see the Broncos win just for him. But this one looks close, competitive. Best offence v best defence. Love it!

[ 21. January 2014, 13:29: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

From here on out, all of my posts should be taken with a grain of salt, whereas, as stated above, I am a homer with a distinct rooting interest in this game.

The early key to the game that I am thinking about is Seattle's top pass rush against the Bronco's best in the league pass protecting offensive line. Seattle has beaten New Orleans twice, which seems to indicate that they can use the rush to beat a dangerous passer. However, between Manning's ability to spot rushes before they happen, his ability to get rid of the ball quickly, and the line's ability to actually pick up the rush (Manning was only touched once on Sunday and has yet to be knocked down in the playoffs), you might have the tonic to their biggest threat.

I'm hoping that the Richard Sherman story dies down. Back in the day, anyone who happened to watch on TV might have said something about a really intense interview, and it would have blown over by yesterday afternoon. Now, everyone needs to have an opinion, idiots on Twitter who have no business sharing their opinion get an equal voice, and it goes on and on. I'm sure he would just rather start preparing to face the best passing offense in the league.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

I've borrowed this in part from Eldest Son who believes that the weather could play a part in this game. Seattle's stadium is more exposed than most so his feeling is that, if it does turn out to be close, Seattle may gain a small advantage due to the weather if it's a cold wintry day in NJ in early February. Not as likely, or as wintry, as it would be at Lambeau Field, just pretty damn cold.

What do people who know a bit more about the teams and the effect of conditions on football think of that? For example, are FGs more important in cold weather games or does it still depend on each team's regular game plan?

[ 21. January 2014, 17:09: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

Tired of hearing about Sherman? How about Goodell eliminating the extra point?

That was depressing. Lamentations-level depressing. The officiating was bad but to be perfectly frank, horrible officiating helped get the 49ers to the NFC game. Now that I have gotten rid of the sack cloth and ashes I still think this is Seattle's to win. I hope Manning toasts Seattle but I am not optimistic.

As for Sherman- there was plenty of jawing on both sides. Harbaugh throws a fit every time a call doesn't go his way. Sherman just happened to be the most vocal.

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

I don't know what I hate more- this or the idea recently floated by Jerry Jones to expand the playoffs. Probably the expanded playoffs. This is not hockey or basketball where just about everyone can make the playoffs. It makes regular season games- in particular non-divisional games less important.

quote:

One of my fondest memories of watching football was the game where the Saints got the ball down by 7 with a second left, playoff birth on the line, managed to pull multiple laterals off and score a touchdown, only to have the kicker miss the extra point. And I was kind of rooting for the Saints.

I guess the idea is that the point is nearly automatic at this point, so you are risking injury on a play which literally 99% of the time (I saw the statistic) results in a successful try. I like the proposal where you have to kick from the spot where the player scores, Rugby style. But I hate the talk about the elimination of kicking from the game.

quote:
Originally posted by Prester John:
quote:

I don't know what I hate more- this or the idea recently floated by Jerry Jones to expand the playoffs. Probably the expanded playoffs. This is not hockey or basketball where just about everyone can make the playoffs. It makes regular season games- in particular non-divisional games less important.
I had thought one reason the American Football season and playoff were so relatively short was the injury and damage taken my the players. What would extra games do to their overall health?

Realistically, you are adding two more total games, meaning that four teams play one more game than they otherwise might have. So I don't think it would be quite as controversial as adding two more regular season games, which I doubt the player's union would ever allow.

I personally do not think the playoffs were lacking because Pittsburgh and Arizona missed out. I doubt they would have survived the first weekend. But I bet money wins out on this one. I'm sure CBS would have loved to air a Pittsburgh-New England game, as it would have drawn a good rating. We have some friends who run a bicycle taxi business, and they run from St. Patrick's day to the last Bronco home game; those kind of folks would benefit from an extra game. So it probably will happen.

Broncos win 34 to 17 (I hope) as Seattle's defense just can't match The Manning Machine.

And Marshawn Lynch is one very interesting fellow... unabashedly not glib.

one story

oops

[ 01. February 2014, 22:11: Message edited by: moron ]

Extra point. Hope they keep it, in order to keep the two point option. I guess they could could go for the Rugby option, or maybe a couple of wider points for conversion kicks if the touchdown is made near the sideline. I like the two point option a lot.

I think that they are planning on preserving the two point conversion option- you either get seven points or six and a shot at two.

I think Denver's offense throws enough wrinkles into the game to keep Seattle guessing and honest. Meanwhile, the Denver defensive line steps up for the third time in the Playoffs and bottles up the Seattle run game until they have to start passing to keep up. But I'm a homer.

When I was growing up, there was a man who used to come to church every Sunday in his game day attire. Puffy pants with orange and blue lightning patterns (Zubaz pants, for those who remember them) and a jersey. He was on the reading rotation, and if he happened to be reading, he had a nicer Broncos vest and tie combination, which I'm sure just slipped in under the dress code for readers.

Who knew that guy was such a trend setter? We all dressed like him today. (I have a nice orange and blue plaid bow tie that my wife gave me, so I get to be a little more subtle.)

(Just because you guys will appreciate this, there was a Deacon at the Episcopal Cathedral back in the 80s who was a talented quilter. As a joke, she made a set of vestments including chasuble in Orange and Blue for an 80s Bronco Super Bowl trip. They have never been used, but I am sure they are still stored at the Cathedral.)

Go Broncos!

quote:
I think that they are planning on preserving the two point conversion option- you either get seven points or six and a shot at two.

OK, that's better, missed the small print. How many PATs are missed per season? Pretty small number and percentage I suppose. But not zero.

They hit literally 99% of them. You get the odd miss, but for the most part, you are risking injury on an all but guaranteed point.

Enjoying the pregame stuff more than I usually do - ISTM there's some kind of uplifting without being too cheesy just about the right amount of enthusiastic patriotism as a theme.

I should say again how much I appreciate people posting on my threads, and just how great this place can be.

TYVM.

... and ...

looks like we have a blow-out Superbowl. Seattle D is just dominating, Seattle O is more than good enough, and Seattle Special Teams have now got in on the act too.

Would not have figured on this.

Posted by Og: Thread Killer (# 3200) on :

The commercials were not much better then the game.

Stunningly bad tackling by Denver.

Hate to say it, but my first thought when seeing that safety as the first play thing was how did a Singapore gambling syndicate get leverage on an NFL centre? Not true of course but...that was weird.

[ 03. February 2014, 02:10: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

That was the second time in at least five years that the game started with a safety. Anyone who took that prop bet made some money.

Other than that, crap. Offensive line got demolished, end of game. Yeah, crap.

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

When Peyton Manning spent the first ten minutes of the game looking sad rather than mad, I was pretty sure it was all up.

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

We out in 12th Man Land are glad to stick it to the naysayers and Seattle-haters who have been dissing the Hawks for the last month. Bite us.

Congrats to Seahawks and fans. They really did a job on the Broncos. Makes the 49ers look like second best team this pet season.

Most one sided Superbowl since the year of the Refrigerator. Many more so? In Super Bowl XX, the Patriots scored first, then got flattened. In this one, Denver just got flattened.

[ 03. February 2014, 10:59: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
We out in 12th Man Land are glad to stick it to the naysayers and Seattle-haters who have been dissing the Hawks for the last month. Bite us.

Well, it is obvious that what made all the difference for the Seahawks is that Wilson played some baseball for the Asheville Tourists.

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Most one sided Superbowl since the year of the Refrigerator. Many more so? In Super Bowl XX, the Patriots scored first, then got flattened. In this one, Denver just got flattened.

Oh no no no. I lived through 1990's 55-10 drubbing of the Broncos by Joe Montana. I'm not letting anyone (other than maybe Bills fans) get away with claiming that their team holds a candle to the Broncos in spectacular Super Bowl failures.

quote:

This is what makes sports worthwhile. [Smile]

quote:
We out in 12th Man Land

I missed the game and have only read one report at this time and it was focused on Manning's poise after the loss.
But the 12th Man thing: should the NFL enforce the noise limits? I am not stating the Super Bowl would have ended with a Denver win without the noise, but it has to have had an effect.
Note: this question is based on reports of other games and a tangential comment made in the report mentioned above.

quote:

But the 12th Man thing: should the NFL enforce the noise limits?

No. Bring on the vuvuzelas.

Posted by Kyzyl (# 374) on :

There is only one 12th Man and it ain't in Seattle. Gig 'em! Kyzyl, TAMU '81 & '85

Real 12th Man

quote:
Originally posted by Kyzyl:
There is only one 12th Man and it ain't in Seattle. Gig 'em! Kyzyl, TAMU '81 & '85

Real 12th Man

Bah. Those whores sold out.

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

...and the johns bought it. [Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
...and the johns bought it. [Razz]

Touché.

quote:
should the NFL enforce the noise limits?

That's actually a serious suggestion?

If they do it will further ingrain my opinion that the NFL is not a sporting competition so much as an excuse for rich people to make even more money.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
quote:
should the NFL enforce the noise limits?

That's actually a serious suggestion?

If there are to be noise limits then there should be minima, not maxima. I thought football crowds were supposed to be LOUD!
quote:

If they do it will further ingrain my opinion that the NFL is not a sporting competition so much as an excuse for rich people to make even more money.

News follows.

There is an argument that it isn't just a matter of the crowd getting loud. It's no secret that Seattle's new stadium was designed specifically to be the loudest outdoor stadium in sports through the use of a well designed roof that keeps noise contained within the stadium. I don't really have a problem with it. I know that stadium noise can make a difference in a game, but I don't think that it could be the difference between a team going 8-8 and a team going 14-2. Still, at some point, you could design a stadium that poses a health risk to people inside, and at that point you have a concern.

I have attended only one professional American football game. It was outdoors in an old stadium, so noise was not a factor. So the question was as much curiosity as anything.

However, following in Og's post, ISTM it is possible one game (therefore one play) could ruin a team's chance to make the Super Bowl. It might show my ignorance, but this is based on the limited number of games played and how particular match ups in particular venues seem to change outcomes.

Not to be special pleading, but certainly an outdoor stadium is not going to have noise levels any more potentially harmful than a rock concert in an indoor space such as a basketball stadium. I remember my ears ringing for days, quite literally, and my hearing being diminished.

And certainly not at sustained levels, which might be key. Some of the records that are being set involve noise levels beyond the pain threshold, and levels which would constitute an unsafe work environment under OSHA regulations if they were sustained. So maybe if it got bad enough the beer vendors could bring up a complaint.

Posted by Sir Kevin (# 3492) on :

Did I mention that I was journeying to the east next year in order to be a staff stage technician at my second working Super Bowl?

[Yipee] [Big Grin] [Smile] [Razz]

I hope to work in the Media Center again, though sadly, I shall not be able to shake hands with Andy Rooney and hand him a newspaper as he walks in for an interview with a sports radio station as, of course, he is no longer with us.

RIP, Mr. Rooney. May Chris succeed in carrying on your good work as one of the finest broadcast journalists in the USA...

[Angel]

I don't care if I miss sharing a restroom with current NFL players again though of course I am a fine Christian gentleman and respected their privacy by not attempting to speak to them...

I would have enjoyed sharing an elevator with them however...

Your high school may have had 'career block' of auto shop, but mine had CAREER BLOCK OF FOOTBALL! We sent two players from our varsity team to the NFL via USC and UCLA along with our California-state Championship Team of 1969 coach to USC; Hayden Moses was our strength and fitness coach in spring training the following year before he reported to the Broncos four or five years before my facebook friends James Macallister (on the cover of SI as top prep school player in the country in 1969) who wound up with the Eagles and Charles Phillips, backup quarterback for the Raiders in the Super Bowl in 1976, down the road apiece from my house in the San Rafael neighborhood of Pasadena. Blair was founded in 1964 as a school for sophomores, juniors and seniors and only produced its first graduating class three years later. The school is next to the beginning of the infamous Pasadena freeway.

These amazing feats were made possible by Coach's ability to pick the finest players from the other two high schools, Pasadena High School, known locally as 'HS' and Muir. where our home games are now played. Playoffs of course were held at the ROSE BOWL.

To this day, nearly 10% of my fb friends are my old football buddies though I never see them in person as most of us no longer live in the lovely college town that is Pasadena...

[Frown]

© Ship of Fools 2016