Thread: Creative nativity scenes Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=028152

Posted by Sandemaniac (# 12829) on :

I can't find a nativity thread, but having just spotted the Henry hoover nativity, I wondered whether anyone else has come across creative variations on the theme (I guess it's a good time for someone to introduce the caganer... no, you can fond a link)? I'm sure the Phelps family would cheerfully picket the electrical retailer concerned, but WWED?

AG

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

Do you mean things like the Coke can nativity?

http://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/bb16_rpiuaa9iwd.jpg

Posted by Brenda Clough (# 18061) on :

In preschool my daughter made a nativity scene entirely out of the cardboard rolls from toilet tissue and paper towels. Luckily she did not insist that we keep it forever.

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Do you mean things like the Coke can nativity?

Yep, that fits! Made me laugh out loud.

AG

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

This one had help from the children, I believe.

Posted by Mr Curly (# 5518) on :

Here's one.

And this one
- an architectural nativity.

mr curly

[ 10. December 2014, 21:55: Message edited by: Mr Curly ]

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

Many years ago whn there was a proper toy shop in Newport I remember a young child buying scale figures for a nativity scene. He bought a few adults (including a couple of shepherds and a milkmaid hefting a pail) plus sheep, a bull and a cow, goats, hens and two pigs.

Not sure about the latter, but I'm sure it made a talking point.

Posted by Pearl B4 Swine (# 11451) on :

The Worst Nativity Scenes
What can I say? Laugh hearty, and then Go And Sin No More.

Posted by Niminypiminy (# 15489) on :

Not quite a nativity set, but creative all the same:

Beach Hut Advent Calendar

Posted by marzipan (# 9442) on :

I like this one http://lolsnaps.com/funny/42632
Holy Trinity, Batman!

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

quote:
Originally posted by marzipan:
I like this one http://lolsnaps.com/funny/42632
Holy Trinity, Batman!

We have had that one...

Posted by cliffdweller (# 13338) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Curly:
Here's one.

game tangent: can you guess which one of those nativities I actually own?

Posted by Mr Curly (# 5518) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Niminypiminy:
Not quite a nativity set, but creative all the same:

Beach Hut Advent Calendar

That is thoroughly brilliant. Planning a garage advent calendar for next year already.

mr curly

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

quote:
That is thoroughly brilliant. Planning a garage advent calendar for next year already.

That reminded me of my son's attempt at making a gingerbread house at evening run by church. His turned out to be an outside dunny with Santa on the throne. And red back on the seat. [Razz]

[ 13. December 2014, 01:02: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

Posted by The Rogue (# 2275) on :

We're doing Advent Windows in my town - see my sig.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

One of the churches in our area held a Nativity Festival, where each group made their own nativity scene out of whatever materials they had to hand, the results were dotted all around the church for us to marvel at. My favourite was made by the table tennis club - with Mary and Joseph at either end of the table, supporting TT bats. Baby Jesus was in the centre of the table, with a manger made out of the net folded into a V shape!

This is the picture sent to me by my niece, of a Colombian nativity scene, made inside a hollowed out egg.

[ 17. December 2014, 20:38: Message edited by: Chorister ]

Posted by churchgeek (# 5557) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
This is the picture sent to me by my niece, of a Colombian nativity scene, made inside a hollowed out egg.

I remember sugar molded eggshell nativities in the '70s. I don't remember if it was any particular ethnic thing or just a '70s trend. It's a really vague memory only just now called to mind by your post!

Posted by Banner Lady (# 10505) on :

We have made our advent calendar this year entirely from the grandson's lego/chima/nanjago sets. Each day he gets to open a door and we are slowly telling the nativity story using each character revealed. You probably wouldn't recognise the winged creature we used as the archangel, but fortunately our grandson has a wonderful imagination and gets it entirely.

So the nativity is set on a different planet, this year... [Razz]

Posted by Ferijen (# 4719) on :

My (tasteful, fair trade shop bought) nativity set has seen a new lease of life this year, as the ferijenet gets old enough to play.

Apparently baby Jesus needed to escape from the dinosaur (wants to crunch crunch baby Jesus mummy) by squeezing into the back of a car (but sshhh mummy, baby Jesus is sleeping!).

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
We have made our advent calendar this year entirely from the grandson's lego ...

I first read that as "made ... entirely from the grandson's legs" ... [Eek!]

[ 22. December 2014, 03:36: Message edited by: Piglet ]

Oooh, here's another one!

Just down the road, too...

AG

Posted by kaytee (# 3482) on :

I am not enough of a geek to recognise all the characters in these

Posted by David (# 3) on :

First Dog's effort

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine:
The Worst Nativity Scenes
What can I say? Laugh hearty, and then Go And Sin No More.

Someone gave me the rubber duckie nativity scene a few years back. Setting it out all the decorating I do for Christmas.

Posted by bib (# 13074) on :

A little old lady at church knitted a most unusual and beautiful complete nativity set which we have set up in pride of place. Pity I don't have a photo. I have begged her for the patterns, but she is holding them close to her heart.

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

I'll spare the H/As having to look--but if you web search for "zombie nativity ohio", you'll find the outdoor scene that is causing a fuss. Depending on your sense of humor, can be very...disturbing.

Corn husk nativity scenes can be lovely.

Just had to share this:

Am watching the "Chef's Life Holiday Special" on our PBS station. They were visiting a family (with small kids) that was playing with the nativity scene, and Grandma was talking to the kids about it. Then:

"Did you put something in your pocket?"

Boy: "I put Baby Jesus in my pocket. He don't fit there."

LOL.

Posted by Al Eluia (# 864) on :

We have a nativity cookie cutter set. One year we made several sets and Mrs. Eluia took one set to her work. The office manager, who is Roman Catholic, was tempted to take the baby Jesus cookie but said she couldn't bring herself to "eat Jesus." My reaction on hearing that was, don't you do that every Sunday?

The cookie cutter for Joseph, BTW, is also used for the shepherds. You just decorate them differently. I wish I had a picture of a full set; I took one long ago but it may be lost.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

The Mexican Radish Nativity.

Apparently, in Oaxaca, December 25th is the Night of the Radishes. The best carvings are displayed in the main square.

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

Am I alone in finding those radishes a bit creepy, in the same way that a clown is creepy?

Have the words "radishes" and "creepy" ever appeared in the same sentence before?

[Paranoid]

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

Very creepy -- and they look more like Day of the Dead than a Nativity.
[Eek!]

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

Yes - how about this or this instead.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Yes - how about this or this instead.

Much better!

Posted by The5thMary (# 12953) on :

quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:

I remember sugar molded eggshell nativities in the '70s. I don't remember if it was any particular ethnic thing or just a '70s trend. It's a really vague memory only just now called to mind by your post!
When I was a wee child attending Catholic grade school, back in the early 70's, we made Christmas decorations with whatever the nuns gave us or told us to bring from home. Thus, on our Christmas tree, my parents hung my and my sisters good Catholic ornaments: A plastic baby Jesus glued to the inside of an empty tuna-fish can covered with sparkly glue and glitter and with a hole punched in the back of the can so the infant Jesus could gaze out of the inside and see our festive tree with lights and a bunch of other baby Jesus figurines..."Hey! I'm part of a Trinity, NOT a sextuplet!". Dear God...baby Jesus in a tuna can...
[Killing me]

Had to get this in. Anyone for a year-long, chocolate Advent calendar?
[Cool]

Posted by doubtingthomas (# 14498) on :

Belatedly remembered (when I couldn't post) - apparently this construction in a German parish church in 2013 contained over a 1000 figures of a (nationally) popular toy set lent by about 40 local families.
And several conifers...

[ 08. January 2015, 22:22: Message edited by: doubtingthomas ]

© Ship of Fools 2016