Thread: Strange celebrations Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=028182

Posted by Sandemaniac (# 12829) on :

We've just received an email inviting us to the instalment of our current vicar as Archdeacon at a Creamtealand cathedral (Psst, Chorister, what dirt do you want on him?).

Apparently it will be celebrated with a coral evensong. We have yet to work out whether this means everyone will be wearing pink, or whether it will be underwater.

Has anyone else come across other bizarre celebrations?

AG

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Apparently it will be celebrated with a coral evensong. We have yet to work out whether this means everyone will be wearing pink. . . .

Only on Laetare or Gaudete Sunday, dear.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

I might have a fish. [Biased]

We see notices from time to time for Evensnog. Guess one on St. Valentine's Day would be rather appropriate....

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

I've seen an invitation to the Ordination of someone to the Scared Order of Deacons.

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

Well, some bishops can be holy terrors.

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

A former youth pastor made flyers inviting folks to First Untied Methodist Church. Not the place to be for those who want to tie one on, I think!

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

Is Evensnog a precursor to Matings?

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Is Evensnog a precursor to Matings?

In our church if you combine Whispers with Matings you get the All-Night Vagil.

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

I've seen a reference to Vespas before now.

And a colleague was startled to learn he was playing for Choral Mittens!

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
I've seen a reference to Vespas before now.

And I thought the blue smoke filling the church was from incense, not 2-stroke petrol mixture!

Posted by Kitten (# 1179) on :

At a funeral a friend once attended the body of the deceased was consigned to the elephants

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Kitten:
At a funeral a friend once attended the body of the deceased was consigned to the elephants

I wonder if elephants allow humans in their graveyards?

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

Back several years ago, notices went up in our town inviting people to Evensnog.

Posted by John Holding (# 158) on :

The local Anglo-Catholic shack once (some decades ago now) advertised the hours at which there would be "Concessions" in preparation for Holy Week.

John

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

A long-ago new secretary put "Coral call to worship" in the bulletin. The choir threatened to sing Under the Sea.

© Ship of Fools 2016