Thread: London Sat 17th January lunchtime/afternoon meet Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=028231

Posted by LRP (# 5013) on :

Balaam and l will be in London for the weekend meals are included but the rest of the time is free. We are staying out at Canary wharf. Anyone free to meet up for lunch or afternoon outing and any ideas for a January afternoon.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Museum of Docklands is close to Canary Wharf, which is mostly about the history of the docks and slavery - at West India Quay. Fun trips on the DLR - past London City Airport and through the old Docklands, what's left of it (and the building of Crossrail).

From Canary Wharf DLR you can get to Bank (which is a pain if you want to change) near the Bank of England and that bit of the City, or Tower Gateway, which is near to the Tower of London and Tower Bridge. Or you can go south to Greenwich which is fun to visit.

I can be around to meet up if you're interested.

[ 08. January 2015, 06:34: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

Thank you for the information. We would love to meet up with you. I like all those ideas.

Posted by Sparrow (# 2458) on :

Lots of good historic pubs in the Greenwich/Canary Wharf or anywhere along the north bank of the Thames. I would love to meet up too.

Will confirm where to meet and time before end of week. If you have a suggestion please post.

We are near south Quay l think.

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

We are just accross the dock from Canary Wharf, if that helps.

Posted by M. (# 3291) on :

Sadly, we can't make this.

M.

Do you want to do Greenwich? There's the National Maritime Museum, Painted Hall, Chapel, Royal Observatory all for free and Cutty Sark for money, plus a few pubs for food/drink.

I go to Canary Wharf most days - there's a library hiding near Waitrose, and I'd like to see what's left of the Festival of Winter Lights (some installations are there all month, some were only up for last weekend and this week). The Museum of Docklands is worth seeing. And near to there is a Floating Church which I keep meaning to visit.

What are you preferences? I'm going to be on a budget, but I have a monthly season ticket that covers Zones 2-6, so can travel all over that area on the season ticket, plus know most of those museums reasonably well as I have been to all of them in the last year or so. I also know where to see the views of the London City Airport and fun bits of the docklands from the DLR.

I think we would love to do Greenwich. The views from Dlr sounds interesting. Our nearest station is Heron Quay. The floating church was on songs of praise last Sunday.

It always amazes me when we decide to go some where that we always seem to see something on a program before we go away that is about the,area we are going to and songs of praise showed a few bits of Canary Wharf.
Thank you.
What's the best time to meet.

When would be a good time for you?

Shall we say Greenwich meet Saturday lunchtime? And then sightseeing around Greenwich? With sidetrips to see the DLR views?

That's sounds like a good idea.

If we say 12,30 we can do something in the morning before we meet you.l have sent you my mobile number.

Sorry ~ Wednesday night is Guides. Got your phone.

Cutty Sark DLR isn't the best place to meet. It might be easier to needt near the Cutty Sark itself at 12:30pm as more open, although if it's raining that could be a bit chilly. The alternative could be outside Waterstones near the DLR station.

[ 15. January 2015, 08:39: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

Travel in London - the cheapest way used to be buy an Oyster card and put money on that. There's even a Visitor card especially for tourists and visitors.

These days, you are charged the same using contactless payment cards as you would be using an Oyster for pay as you go or daily capping.

(I travel around for work so I hold a weekly or monthly season ticket on an Oyster as that is cheaper for me.)

Okay thanks. We have arrived. Will only need travel card for one day.Coach dropped us off for a quick visit this aft on park Lane. Will take people into London Tommorrow if they want to then parking up on Embankment Sunday Morning.

Thank You Curiosity killed for a lovely and interesting afternoon.

Really nice meeting up with you and balaam again, LRP.

© Ship of Fools 2016