Thread: RIP Leonard Nimoy Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=028241

Posted by QLib (# 43) on :

A sad loss - but so many great memories. [Votive]

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

83, somehow it's very hard to visualize him as being that old. What an iconic actor.

RIP [Votive]

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

Real sad to lose such a superb actor. Spock was his eternal memory, but he was always engaging when he appeared in what ever role - even as himself.

Live Long and Prosper.

Posted by Og: Thread Killer (# 3200) on :

A lot of people, ranging in age from those in their 80's to teenagers, are going to be sad today. Childhood memories for many of us.

A good man by all accounts.

So many quotes from his career and he pulls off a stunning one in his last tweet.

[Votive]

Posted by Sparrow (# 2458) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
A lot of people, ranging in age from those in their 80's to teenagers, are going to be sad today. Childhood memories for many of us.

A good man by all accounts.

So many quotes from his career and he pulls off a stunning one in his last tweet.

[Votive]

What was it? I don't do Twitter.

quote:
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP
Came out on Feb 23

[ 27. February 2015, 17:15: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

Posted by Wesley J (# 6075) on :

Live long and prosper. Welcome aboard Starship Heaven. [Tear] [Votive]

That follows a day after he posted a love poem from one of his collections

The poem is titled

You and I Have Learned

As its a whole work, I wouldn't post it, but its worth a google search just to figure out the mind of the man in the days before he died.

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

83 years young. Wow.

I recall vividly all of us learning to do the Vulcan hand gesture with TOS. It was a common thing to try to mild meld with women I dated as well. To see if the two could become one etc.

Live long and prosper Len.

Posted by Nicolemr (# 28) on :

RIP Leonard Nimoy. [Votive]

Mr. Spock will live forever.

Posted by ChastMastr (# 716) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
That follows a day after he posted a love poem from one of his collections

The poem is titled

You and I Have Learned

As its a whole work, I wouldn't post it, but its worth a google search just to figure out the mind of the man in the days before he died.

Here is a link, then.

He may have been saying goodbye for months, as this article suggests.

May he rest in peace and rise to life eternal. [Votive]

[ 27. February 2015, 19:33: Message edited by: ChastMastr ]

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

Leonard Nimoy, he lived long and he prospered. RIP

Posted by JoannaP (# 4493) on :

I have very happy memories of Trek Soc meetings on Tuesday evenings when I was a student. And the never-ending Spock vs Kirk debate.

RIP Leonard Nimoy; LLAP Spock

Posted by Emendator Liturgia (# 17245) on :

Star Trek was such a ground-breaking show that its influence can be seen in so many areas: Apple lost a court case because the show had tablets back before Apple was born; it had the first on-screen kiss between a white man and a black woman; the list can go on and on and on.

AND, Leonard Nimoy was an integral part of that: I've read somewhere that many of the social issues raised in the series, even before he became a producer, were often his suggestions for inclusion.

Leonard Nimoy - a life well lived! Now, for the final beam-up!

Posted by Sandemaniac (# 12829) on :

Perhaps this is his finest tribute? Carl Sagan had his hand, rightly acknowledged, but so many people involved had surely been inspired by the cast of Star Trek...

May his spirit boldy go.

AG

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

[Votive] for him, his loved ones, and all who care about him.

Here's his photography site. (I'm having an awful time loading it. Not sure if due to an overload of grieving fans, or a tech glitch.) NOTE: Some pics may not be work-safe. He took many nude pics.

[ 28. February 2015, 01:51: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

That site doesn't want to load for me either.

Re "ST:TOS" and influencing social change:

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was a huge Trekkie, and convinced Nichelle Nichols (Uhura) not to leave the series, because of all the good she was doing.

When the original series was canceled (not sure which time), Fr. Andrew Greeley wrote an essay, saying that the network had committed a (mortal?) sin, because the show was the closest thing we had to a morality play.

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
That site doesn't want to load for me either.

I was periodically able to get parts of it up. Main things I wanted to see were pics from his photo book "Shekinah"--she's the feminine aspect of God in Judaism. LN took pictures of women that were both mystical and sexual, to illustrate the Shekinah.

Official White House statement: "Obama: I love Spock".

GK's site linked above is loading for me now, after I shortened it to the main url, the LN pages, however, may still take a while. A wormhole must have opened for GK to peek through? All the beings and creatures from faraway galaxies trying to access? A blockage of universal proportions?

BTW - I'm somehow getting Messrs Nimoy and Cohen mixed up in my mind, which leads to some rather interesting mental images! [Big Grin]

[Angel] <--- possible AngelFleet Logo?

[ 28. February 2015, 03:38: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

It loaded for me second try but I did not explore too far as I have a connection which has decided it wants the weekend off and is being maddeningly temperamental - it's got a temper which is driving me mental!

Romulan interference, ya think?

This Google mirror of the photo site works a bit better.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

RIP. [Votive]

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

My first crush. [Tear]

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

It says something that there is an official tribute from NASA.

LLAP, Spock [Axe murder]

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

I've been asked to post across the posts from the other Leonard Nimoy thread, which I closed so here goes:

Sparrow:

quote:
I just posted on the Death Pool thread but I think he deserves a thread of his own: Leonard Nimoy has died.

Jedijudy:

quote:
[Waterworks]

It is with a heavy heart that I move this to All Saints where memorial threads reside.

He was Spock.

I am honored to be one of Mr. Nimoy's honorary grandchildren.
jedijudy

Nicolemr

quote:
RIP Leonard Nimoy. [Votive]

He will be very missed.

ChastMastr

quote:
quote:

I am honored to be one of Mr. Nimoy's honorary grandchildren.

Please tell us more, if you can.

[Votive]

Jedijudy

quote:
There was a time, (a couple of years ago, perhaps?) when Leonard Nimoy said that he would become an honorary Grandfather to those who tweeted him asking him to do so. I did and he is!

[Axe murder]

Even though he was young at the time of my birth!

I read that as 'I was young at the time of my birth', which is certainly true.

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
I read that as 'I was young at the time of my birth', which is certainly true.

Unless one believes in reincarnation.

Posted by Jane R (# 331) on :

JoannaP:
quote:
And the never-ending Spock vs Kirk debate.
[Ultra confused] You had a DEBATE?!? It's Spock - no contest.

[Waterworks] [Votive] RIP Leonard.

Posted by JoannaP (# 4493) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
JoannaP:
quote:
And the never-ending Spock vs Kirk debate.
[Ultra confused] You had a DEBATE?!? It's Spock - no contest.
Well yes, that was what I thought but one of my friends disagreed [Confused]

Posted by Ags (# 204) on :

Memory eternal [Votive]

Posted by Banner Lady (# 10505) on :

He has crossed the Final Frontier at last.

Spock was an iconic character that Nimmoy willingly allowed to take over his life - I can only imagine how ridiculous that became at times. Who can ever forget the "whale" Trek movie?

The character will live on, thanks to his engaging fleshing out of the role. But the cameos will be sorely missed in future.

He lived long and caused many to prosper. RIP.

Posted by ChastMastr (# 716) on :

Bless his heart, I'd forgotten about how many times I posted this very, very silly link years ago on the Ship, and have now rectified it. If anyone feels too somber, this may provoke a smile.

[Overused] Rest in peace, Mr. Nimoy. [Overused] [Axe murder]

Re willingly let Spock inhabit his life:

Not always. [Smile] Back in the '70s, IIRC, he wrote a little book called "I Am Not Spock". He really tried to get away from Spock after ST ended, but his career couldn't get past it--and he was not happy about that.

Later, though, he wrote the sequel "I Am Spock". [Smile]

In the first book, IIRC, he mentioned that he would *be* Spock all day, every day of the work week. (Due to his acting method.) On the weekend, he'd let Spock go--but then he'd have to take him back, so he could be ready for work on Monday. Hard on both him and his wife, IIRC.

He also used to ride a bike, when he was doing ST, and there was an ongoing prank of hiding his bike--once, hanging from the studio ceiling!

Oh, and does anyone else remember his "In Search Of..." TV series? He was the voice-over host; not sure if he was ever on screen. Anyway, it examined a different mystery or anomaly each episode--Amelia Earhart, Nessie, UFOs.

Chast, thanks for the link. I know the song from long ago, from his record "The Flip Side Of Spock". There's another great track on there, where he's an alien talking about Earth, and Earthlings moving out into space. He wound up with "There goes the neighborhood!"

[ 02. March 2015, 08:35: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

Posted by Jane R (# 331) on :

Don't know whether this is an appropriate place, but [Votive] for William Shatner, who is getting a lot of flak for not going to the funeral due to a prior engagement. If the Nimoy family can forgive him for not being there, what business is it of anyone else?

Sending another family member as your representative (as my mother-in-law did when her sister's husband died) is perfectly acceptable. Even Emily Post would agree.

Yeah, Shatner had a previous commitment to appear at a Red Cross fundraiser the night before the funeral. ISTM a lot of the reaction was grief, plus preferring Spock to Kirk, plus Internet nastiness. Maybe also because there was a stretch of time when Shatner reportedly didn't get on all that well with the other core actors. But AFAIK, that was settled long ago. I don't understand the journalists and media outlets that lashed out at him, though.

I didn't know until I saw Jane's post that Shatner's daughters were going to the funeral. I don't think that was in the first couple days of news stories. But it's great that they went.

Here's a good article from CNN (via another outlet) that details the situation, and has a long list of Nimoy's bio details at the end.

Oh, and Shatner tweeted that Nimoy had been "a wonderful uncle" to his daughters.

© Ship of Fools 2016