Thread: England?! Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=028248

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

I can inform you that after having spent over 20 years outside of Europe (and its surrounding islands), I will be based in England for a while, starting from mid May. I'll still be very much connected to Brazil (among other things, I own a house here) and I'll be travelling a lot to other countries, but this is where I'll set up tent.

I'll be living in Milton Keynes. Discerning English Shipmates might be able to guess which organisation I'll be working for, but I'll ask you not speculate about this on the open boards. I don't know much about this city; I haven't had much time to look things up yet. One thing I'm excited about is that it's close to London, but not in London.

This isn't the first time I've lived in the UK. I've spent a year in Swansea during my student days, and I rather liked it.

If you don't mind, I have some first questions:

Church: After my experiences in Swansea, I think I'd feel rather at home in a church with an Anglo-Catholic liturgy, a somewhat liberal outlook, and a sense of community. Elderly ladies serving CAKE after the service are a must. Any suggestions are welcome.

Music: I'm always eager to meet other musicians. Information about things like jam sessions or open mics would be very much appreciated.

I might have other questions later.

Of course, this also means that *glup* after 12.5 years I'll finally be able to attend a Shipmeet and discover that you're not all RooK's sockpuppets.

Ah, and is it ok if I still don't understand a thing about cricket?

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
...Of course, this also means that *glup* after 12.5 years I'll finally be able to attend a Shipmeet and discover that you're not all RooK's sockpuppets.

Ah, and is it ok if I still don't understand a thing about cricket?

That's right, some of us are Spike's sockpuppets! [Big Grin]

And the cricket thing, if the England Cricket team don't understand the game how can we possibly expect anybody else to do so?

Have fun in UK, but you might find living a bit pricey compared with Brazil!

Best wishes from a Brit who lives 8,500 kms away.

Posted by Jack the Lass (# 3415) on :

Welcome to the UK! I wouldn't worry about the cricket thing, it's still a complete and utter mystery to me. I survive by not paying it the slightest bit of attention. [Smile]

There are a couple of shipmates in MK, I believe - I don't want to out them as I can't remember if they've talked about MK on the ship or on facebook, and I don't want to assume they are OK about their location being on the boards. But I will PM one of them and suggest they look at the thread. It certainly is pretty handy for London - the average train journey to central London is around 40 minutes.

Posted by Sarasa (# 12271) on :

I don't understand cricket either. I London shipmeet when you've settled in sounds like a good idea.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

Welcome. I wouldn't worry about cricket, although the Netherlands have a decent team and beat England in a Twenty-over championship game a few years ago. If you let slip about having spent time in Brazil people will be curious about carnival, why Brazilians speak Portuguese and football.

We'll just be pleased to put a face to a name. Mind the concrete cows.

Thank you all for your replies and your good wishes.

quote:
Welease Woderwick: Have fun in UK, but you might find living a bit pricey compared with Brazil!
To be honest, this is a part that worries me a bit. I'll see how it goes.

quote:
Jack the Lass: There are a couple of shipmates in MK, I believe - I don't want to out them as I can't remember if they've talked about MK on the ship or on facebook, and I don't want to assume they are OK about their location being on the boards. But I will PM one of them and suggest they look at the thread.
Okay, thank you. I think one thing I'll have to get used to is calling Milton Keynes 'MK'. I hadn't even thought about that yet [Smile]

quote:
Sarasa: I London shipmeet when you've settled in sounds like a good idea.
Yes, I'd like that a lot.

quote:
Sioni Sais: I wouldn't worry about cricket, although the Netherlands have a decent team and beat England in a Twenty-over championship game a few years ago.
Really? I wouldn't know. Good on them.

quote:
Sioni Sais: Mind the concrete cows.
I've heard about them in connection to MK, but I haven't found out yet what they are. I like a mystery.

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

Concrete cows

Oh, perhaps I should mention that I'm Kelly's sockpuppet.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

And roundabouts - lots of roundabouts in Milton Keynes.

I used to live in what is now Milton Keynes when it was still a rural area of villages and little market towns. Watching serried ranks of rabbit hutches being built along with fluorescent coloured warehousing made us run away.

I'm also based around London so would be up for a London Shipmeet.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

We lived south of Milton Keynes Mon to Fri, while my husband worked in the area. I went to several midweek services at churches in the nearby towns (I found MK churches on the whole were not of the style you are looking for, although I was not able to visit on Sundays and many churches were closed midweek). The ones I attended (serving refreshments midweek, which might be a positive indication!) were Towcester and Leighton Buzzard. I also had a soft spot for Olney, visiting on Pancake Day. The church at Stony Stratford would have been another option, and much closer.

Many of the older residents tried to pretend that MK wasn't actually there, and drove round the little lanes between villages rather than go anywhere near the centre!

I got on the mailing list of the MK concert society, which provided useful information about music (although classical might not be your preference).

Good luck with your search.

Posted by Rossweisse (# 2349) on :

I would try Leighton Buzzard based on its name alone.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

It looks as if you will have to be wary of the traditional village churches. Checking some of the churches I knew, I came across this entry on A Church Near You website including these heart-sinking phrases for someone with Anglo-catholic tendencies:
quote:
In more recent times, 1999, the church was reordered, the pews removed and replaced by 150 comfortable upholstered chairs. At this time the organ was relocated to allow for the creation of a 30 seat meeting room with kitchen and toilets facilities in the southern aisle allowing the building to be multi functional.
It could be really effective, but I've seen some really disastrous versions of that one.

I can't remember where we really attended because although we did attend the village church for some of the time we lived in the area there was a time when we didn't and drove elsewhere. The places I think are likely have minimal entries on A Church Near You and no functioning website. Stony Stratford is possible, but I note that is now Forward in Faith.

I also attended St Lawrence, Towcester, with my secondary school for Founder's Day and Christmas Services and remember that one as being pretty A-C in layout and style.

Posted by kingsfold (# 1726) on :

I would echo the suggestion that you may need to look a little further afield than MK proper for a church. I think many of the MK central parishes are ecumenical partnerships with ecumenical congregations, which may not be quite what you had in mind.

I MW'd both Fenny Stratford (not Stony Stratford!) and All Saints Leighton Buzzard some time back. Fenny Stratford is FiF, and listed on the Diocese of Ebbsfleet website.

If you're willing to travel a bit, I would give Leighton Buzzard a try. It's not very far on the train, and I'm sure there are probably also buses.

Posted by Sandemaniac (# 12829) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Towcester and Leighton Buzzard.

A random tangent - based on the English love of confusing "furriners" by making the language incomprehensible, Towcester is pronounced "Toaster" - as in the device for rendering bread a hot and deliciously aromatic comestible.

Luckily you will be living a long way from Penistone...

AG

Posted by Yangtze (# 4965) on :

Hurrah, I look forward to meeting you at a London Shipmeet.

And I bet I know who you'll be working for [Biased] (I work in not exactly the same field as you but one with close links to some of it.)

I dunno whether people actually call Milton Keynes MK or if that's just a useful shorthand when writing. I have a friend who grew up near there and loves it - don't be put off by the talk of concrete cows and roundabouts.

Concrete cows are one thing. How many know of Newport's Pandas, on the Junction 26 roundabout off the M4.

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

Or what about Norfolk's "Chicken Roundabout" - with real live livestock (alas, no more).

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

Nothing to do with churches, roundabouts or animals - but Milton Keynes does have some rather remarkable experimental buses.

Posted by Sipech (# 16870) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:

Prepare for disappointment. I lived in nearby Dunstable for 18 years. They are two of the drabbest towns imaginable. [Snore]

As for MK, I hope you have a car. It's really not pedestrian-friendly. The shopping centre always made me rather dizzy too. [Ultra confused]

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

One of my sons thought that Ashby-de-la-Zouch sounded exotic so I took him there.

As we drove away his brother noted that it was twinned with Pithiviers - and that wasn't his favourite dish either [Snigger]

Posted by Dormouse (# 5954) on :

I lived in MK for many years and I loved it! My church preferences are different to yours, so can't help there, but I hope you enjoy your time there as much as I did

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

This thread has reminded me that when I was much younger I wrote a science fiction novel based on the exotic planet of Norwood.

Anyway, welcome to England and I hope the transition goes smoothly. Enjoy your time here!

I used to live in Norwood! It has a fine cemetery and, back in the 1980's, a very good library.

The 'Just off the South Circular Road' feel did have a SF edge to it.

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
I used to live in Norwood! It has a fine cemetery and, back in the 1980's, a very good library.

The 'Just off the South Circular Road' feel did have a SF edge to it.

I officiated at a funeral at the crem there a couple of weeks ago. Charles Spurgeon's tomb is right next to the chapel door, and our dear departed shipmate Gambit worked in the library as well.

Posted by M. (# 3291) on :

....and Spurgeon's College is on South Norwood Hill.

Looking forward to a London Shipmeet in due course.

(Don''t know much about Milton Keynes, except that Bletchley Park is right next door)

M.

Posted by Deputy Verger (# 15876) on :

I bought a bicycle in Milton Keynes once, so I have a vague idea where it is. Outside the M25, right?

Anyway, we look forward to seeing you at a London shipmeet. I think you will have to come to us rather than vice-versa.

(I'm also Spike's sockpuppet. We hope you have a taste for real ale.)

Welcome!

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
One of my sons thought that Ashby-de-la-Zouch sounded exotic ...

Isn't that where Adrian Mole lived? [Big Grin]

quote:
Spike: Concrete cows
Ah, I like them. I'll try not to stumble over them.

There is a city in the Netherlands that has concrete elephants, so I think I can grab the cows by the horns, so to speak.

I'm also looking forward to seeing the chickens and the buses.

quote:
Spike:[QB] Oh, perhaps I should mention that I'm Kelly's sockpuppet.

So, WW is your sockpuppet while you are Kelly's sockpuppet ... This is starting to get complicated.

quote:
Curiosity killed ...: And roundabouts - lots of roundabouts in Milton Keynes.
Thanks for the warning. Next thing, you're going to tell me that I'll have to drive them in a clockwise direction [Smile] (I've already lived in the UK and a couple of African countries, so I think I'll manage.)

quote:
Curiosity killed ...: I used to live in what is now Milton Keynes when it was still a rural area of villages and little market towns. Watching serried ranks of rabbit hutches being built along with fluorescent coloured warehousing made us run away.
Yes, I already understood that MK is a rather new city, and I agree that those can be less pleasing. I have an open mind though; I've lived in relatively new cities before.

quote:
Chorister: The ones I attended (serving refreshments midweek, which might be a positive indication!) were Towcester and Leighton Buzzard. I also had a soft spot for Olney, visiting on Pancake Day. The church at Stony Stratford would have been another option, and much closer.
Alright, I'll keep these on my list. Thank you also CK and kingsfold, I'll try to look at churches outside of MK too.

quote:
Chorister: I got on the mailing list of the MK concert society, which provided useful information about music (although classical might not be your preference).
Thinks for the tip. Yes, I like classical music. In fact, I like to listen to most types of music except electronic ones. What I would also like to try is to meet other groups and musicians in order to play together, and that would not necessarily be classical music.

quote:
Deputy Verger: We hope you have a taste for real ale.
Yes, although admittedly I haven't tried many. I'm very much open to suggestions.

(The transition is going to be a bit hard, because here in Brazil they drink their beer so cold it's frozen.)

No problem with going to London for a Shipmeet. I imagine that I'll have to travel a lot in the first months, to get to know the programmes I'll be dealing with. I'll only know the schedule for that after I arrive in Enland in May.

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

quote:

I wouldn't, based on actually having been there.

Posted by betjemaniac (# 17618) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:

it has quite a nice little narrow gauge railway - although it spends most of its time running between the back gardens of a housing development so it's not exactly the Talyllyn in terms of scenery...

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:

it has quite a nice little narrow gauge railway - although it spends most of its time running between the back gardens of a housing development so it's not exactly the Talyllyn in terms of scenery...
[Big Grin]

Tring, around the corner from LB, would repay a half day visit to the zoological museum, assuming it's still there. And then there are the live animals at Whipsnade, just around the other corner. Not a million miles from St Albans either. Avoid Watford, a dump.

[ 25. March 2015, 15:02: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

Posted by Tractor Girl (# 8863) on :

Hi

Currently living in MK although quite possibly moving over the late summer. There are several churches that would probably meet what you are looking for, particularly in some of the older towns and villages around MK. MK is interesting in that it is quite ecumenical. The Milton Keynes Mission Partnership http://www.missionpartnership.org.uk/ is a good place to start finding out about what is going on in the city and getting a feel of the place. They may also be a good info point to point you to what you are looking for.

Hope that helps.

Posted by mark_in_manchester (# 15978) on :

Le Roc

As a fresh graduate in my early 20s I found myself living in Bedford, which is not so far from MK, and after 4 years in a big Northern City it was a major culture shock. Art and Music is there...but you have to look for it. Here's a
link
to get you started.

Posted by mark_in_manchester (# 15978) on :

...and if never-ending middle-class dormitory suburbs start to get you down, you can always take a day-trip to Luton! [Smile]

© Ship of Fools 2016