Thread: Shoes Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=028268

Posted by Gwai (# 11076) on :

I asked in the general question thread how long people expected a pair of shoes to last if they wore just the one pair. Many people said a year to two. Brenda said better shoes last longer. Some people noted how hard it is to find proper shoes. I wanted to answer again too, so I've started a thread:

I absolutely detest shoe-shopping because it's something I have to do so often. I have relatively flat feet* and maybe I walk funny, but most of my shoes last less than six months before something falls apart. I used to buy $80 dollar shoes, but they still broke in six months. I've since started thrift shopping my shoes or buying cheapo shoes, but they last the same amount of time on average. Maybe if I weren't choosy this would be okay, but I have weird feet, so unfortunately I really am.

I do walk a number of miles every week, so my friend says this is all to be expected, but I swear shoes are a bother. Do you find them easier, or do you have tips?

My weird bucket list item is to have a custom pair of shoes made, but that's very expensive, and for all I know they wouldn't last longer anyway.

*Used to absolutely need inserts, but have changed the way I walk so that I don't anymore.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

I hate shopping for shoes. Almost every pair I've ever had have caused me blisters or worse until my feet have been broken in, which usually takes c. 2-3 weeks, half a packet of sticking plasters and the thickest socks I can find, and it still doesn't always work.

I also need a wider fitting these days so most pairs of shoes on sale are going to be too tight. I've resorted to buying flat, comfortable, inexpensive, all-purpose ones when I find them.

I would really love to wear glam shoes, something feminine, colourful and smart, but it's not worth the hassle.

Posted by Brenda Clough (# 18061) on :

The other question is whether you can find a better fit by finding shoes of a different type. Can you wear sneakers/trainers/athletic shoes? They are often made sturdier and certainly fit differently. I have found that walking sandals are a very different animal than ordinary sandals. There is also a perceptible difference between shoes made for men and for women. Men's shoes are always wider, often sturdier, and the toe box is wider. If your female feet are big enough that a small men's size can fit you, it might be worth shopping on the other side of the aisle.
I have never bought custom shoes through here, but they have been recommended to me by several people:
Custom shoes

Posted by Doublethink. (# 1984) on :

I will pay £100 to £150 for my primary pair of shoes and wear them almost exclusively. For this I expect them to last a minimum of 18 months and upto to three years.

I will generally by walking shoes or ecco ankle boots, gortex lined because I hate wet feet, usually leather uppers and most importantly - with vibram soles (good grip & last longer). I walk unevenly and can tell when my shoes are getting knackered because they start to squeak. I'll usually wear them till they a) squeak and b) start to go at the seams.

I never buy second hand shoes, I had it dinned in to me as a child that shoes mould to your feet and wearing second hand shoes will hurt your feet.

Generally speaking I am always willing to pay more for shoes than I will for clothes. I think of them a bit like glasses, having a physical impact on my long term health. I almost never wear heels or court shoes for this reason - I know they damage your feet and strain your back.

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

I have found that better quality shoes that actually fit last 6-8 years. I happened across Blundstones about 15 years ago. I can wear them outside in the winter, with a suit, casual. I've had the 500s and 550s, actually I still have all three pairs I've ever bought in 15 years. They are about $180 I think these days. The soles on the first pair are worn, so I leave them at work, just in case I show up in runners. A little shoe polish and they're good. I think people often think of them as a man's shoe, but my wife who teaches at university tells me that she sees them at least as often on women.

I also have some light waterproof hiking books which cost more than the Blundstones, and last about as long. Salomon.

[crosspost]

(I used to work as a sales assistant in a mountain shop and have been trained to sell shoes. I know that fit varies hugely by make, and there are differences of fit by gender - in particular ankle position is slightly different.)

If it takes weeks for your shoes to break in, and you get blisters, then they have not been fitted properly.

However, one way of avoiding blisters is - rather than a thick sock - using lined socks. The double layer mitigates the rubbing.

[ 11. May 2015, 20:14: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

In the past I have had shoes resoled, but my experience is that the price of having vibram replacement is just not really economic.

Crockett & Jones full bespoke handmade leather shoes, from your own last, take six months and cost from 3000 euro upwards [Frown]

Posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe (# 5521) on :

I've discovered ebay as a good source for both new and pre-owned shoes. Prices are generally lower than in the stores, there's no sales tax, and many merchants do not charge for shipping (those that don't are worth seeking out).

I have two pairs of dress shoes, one brown and one black. I don't remember when I bought them -- it's been at least five years -- but I wear them infrequently and they've lasted and lasted!

I have one pair of Timberland boots that again I wear infrequently -- bought them used on ebay -- and I expect them to last at least two years.

I also have two pairs of sneakers, both bought on ebay -- one new, one used -- that are the shoes I wear primarily every day. I expect they'll last for at least a year -- the new pair longer than that.

As a young adult I wore size 10-1/2 but now in my dotage I can't get into anything smaller than a 12. Depending on the style and brand, I have to go with a 12-1/2 sometimes.

Posted by Hazey*Jane (# 8754) on :

In what way do your shoes wear out most frequently? That might give you some guidance as to what features you need to look for.

Depends on your style, but I've found Doc Martens of all varieties to be extremely durable. The soles last very well even with lots of walking. I miss having them in my wardrobe at the moment.

Posted by marzipan (# 9442) on :

I walk around a fair bit each day (but not too much) and I find that I'm lucky if I can get a pair of shoes to last me a year. Part of my problem is that I probably don't pay enough, but often expensive shoes have lasted about as long as cheap ones. Although I have fairly normal size/shape feet, I think my shoe preferences are non fashionable at the moment as I have trouble finding ones I like which don't cost a fortune. My most recent pair of boots are lasting quite well though - they're RED ankle boots with a low ish heel, I've had them six months and I've only had to have them re heeled once (generally the heel the cobbler puts on is better than the original anyway!)
My last few pairs of shoes have broken by the upper coming away from the sole, which seems quite common due to how they are fixed together, but is super annoying when you're walking around a rainy city most of the time!
Eta: my shoes have to look good enough to wear to work as well as be able to walk about in so I tend to get 'fashion' shoes or boots rather than walking boots or doc martens etc

[ 11. May 2015, 22:44: Message edited by: marzipan ]

Posted by blackbeard (# 10848) on :

It's years - decades - since I bought any shoes from a shoe shop. I am shod thus:

casual wear - trainers, from a sports shop. Really casual, and around house, Crocs (if anything), also from a sports shop

smart leather shoes - are actually deck shoes, from a yacht chandlery. I even have a pair in black, suitable weddings/funerals.

Serious walking - boots, from an outdoorsy shop.

I always check to see a. plenty of toe room, and b. that shoe does not bite into back of heel (Achilles tendon).

Totally agree with Doublethink, I don't believe in extended "breaking in" (beyond a brief introduction shoes/feet).

How long do they last? Years! but I'm fairly light on my feet... except that there's a catch with trainers - the foam plastic underfoot can break down after a while, and the shoe loses its cushioning effect even though the sole might still look OK; when this happens it's time to retire the shoe, from running at least.

If you go to Ebay, you can refine your shoe search: by size, by new, even by new in box with labels. The key is to be sure of what you want; it is worth knowing the brand and size in advance. I have acquired Birkenstocks this way at significant savings.

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

I'm another one with difficult feet, precious little flowers that they are. [Roll Eyes]

Last year I discovered Finn Comforts, and when I first stood in them, my BFF saw the look on my face and knew that I finally had comfortable shoes on my feet! They're very pricey, but very well made and I expect them to last a nice, long time.

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

I own one pair of tennis shoes (trainers, whatever) and one pair of decent-for-funerals shoes. That's it, bar a pair of ballet slippers. The reason is that the forefront of my foot (you know, the bit that's supposed to be covered by the tongue and laces of a tennis shoe?) is about an inch higher than normal people's. Which means that unless the shoe has virtually no upper, it will crash against the bone there and hurt like hell. What do you call that, tall-footed? thick-footed? Whatever it is, it's a disaster for a woman who is required to wear non-laced closed toes work-formal shoes (i.e. pumps). I go straight to the men's department and most of those don't work either.

This is all made much much worse by the fact that I have to wear custom orthotics in my shoes, which raises the height of the foot one inch more. My mother says I should just wear the shoebox and be done with it. Thanks, Mom.

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
Crockett & Jones full bespoke handmade leather shoes, from your own last, take six months and cost from 3000 euro upwards [Frown]

Not a viable option from here, but over the years I have had quite a few pairs of their ready-made shoes and they have been very good - as have Church, Loake, and Bally. R M Williams boots are great for casual wear, but I don't know how easy they are to obtain outside Aust. They all seem to last forever.

My parents drilled into us that we should not wear the same pair of shoes 2 days running - bad for the shoe and bad for your foot. As much as I can, I have kept to this over the years. I think that's part of the longevity of my shoes.

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

I can count on the toes of one foot the makes of shoe where I have any hope of finding a comfortable fit. Ecco were my mainstay for years, a Dutch brand called Wolky, but mainly Widerfit Shoes. They're not infallible - does anyone know how to counter 'sock eating' in a shoe? But by and large, they work for me - like the pair I'm wearing at the moment - a flat, semi-sandal with a narrow strap across the instep and bright pink. These are now entering their second summer, during which they'll be the default shoe for every day. They may see a third - it depends on how soon I can detect individual pebbles through the soles.

I would like to find something with a more cushioned sole - I speak as one woken in the early hours by the leg ache from a day traversing the cobbles of old Strasbourg - but I find most trainers ugly and sweaty and not particularly comfortable.

Part of the problem is there doesn't seem to be any standardization in sizes any more and half sizes are rare. It's often a choice between a cramped 5 or a baggy 6 in one shop, when a half size would be much better, or a cramped 4 and what initially appears to be a comfortable 5 in another, but which, when you buy it, has the happy knack of pulling one sock slowly, bit by bit, down one foot into the end of the shoe as you walk and rubbing the back of your heel raw in the other.

The most comfortable pairs I ever had cost £12 from a market stall until they became a discontinued line. Admittedly after 6-9 months the sole would usually crack, but until then I could go anywhere and do anything. False economy it might be, but for the duration I had complete freedom of movement and no problems.

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

I think one of the problems in Britain is of shoes made for the Continental market and sized according to its norms.

I am basically a British size 10, which is half-way between a Continental 44 and 45. But the latter are often marked as 9 1/2 and 10 respectively - which they're not. The best fit for me are the British-made Hotter; the lovely German-made Rohde and Siebel shoes just aren't quite right.

Posted by la vie en rouge (# 10688) on :

AIUI shoes last longer if you don’t wear them every day, i.e. if you only have one pair of shoes and wear them all the time they might last a year. If you invest in buying two pairs at once and alternate them, they will last three years between them.

(I admit this is a little academic in my case because I am one of those people who enjoy shoes and have ahem, several pairs.)

Posted by Jengie jon (# 273) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
I think one of the problems in Britain is of shoes made for the Continental market and sized according to its norms.

I am basically a British size 10, which is half-way between a Continental 44 and 45. But the latter are often marked as 9 1/2 and 10 respectively - which they're not. The best fit for me are the British-made Hotter; the lovely German-made Rohde and Siebel shoes just aren't quite right.

No, it would only be the case if sizes were so well defined. I have bought three pairs of trainer by the same manufacturer in the last nine months and they were sized 7,7.5 and 8. The 7 and 7.5 were the same design and the 7.5 was too big. The 8 is not too big.

The difference is the width of the last as there are differences between the average width of feet in different nationalities. Italians tend to have narrow feet when compared with the British.

Jengie

[ 12. May 2015, 09:30: Message edited by: Jengie jon ]

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
AIUI shoes last longer if you don’t wear them every day, i.e. if you only have one pair of shoes and wear them all the time they might last a year. If you invest in buying two pairs at once and alternate them, they will last three years between them.

(I admit this is a little academic in my case because I am one of those people who enjoy shoes and have ahem, several pairs.)

I find work shoes never last long, even though they're only used for walking around the office; indeed, they never leave as I change into them when I get to work - work shoes are pretty useless for any actual function, such as riding a bike or walking any distance.

Posted by Arch Anglo Catholic (# 15181) on :

I 'rotate' my pairs of shoes, never wearing one pair for more than a day at a time, and they last much better.
I have four pairs and the four will last about 5-7 years. Good shoes will stand re-soling regularly and do require regular cleaning and polishing, but you do get what you pay for!

Why would shoes last longer if not worn all the time? I believe it could be true, but it doesn't make any sense to me.

I do get shoes re-soled sometimes, but that's mainly if the upper is still excellent while the rest isn't.

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

This makes me feel like Imelda Marcos, as I have shoes in colours to go with different clothes - but it does mean I don't wear them two days running. So they have time to dry out, and ensure that any fungal spores have nothing to grow on. I generally buy from Hotter, via the internet, though there are a few outlets near me where I can check colours. As they have extended their ranges, though, they have changed lasts, so that some fit beautifully, and some, the same size (7 1/2 wide), don't. And they don't do so many wide fit styles, which can be very disappointing.

I really don't know how long they last. I bought the first from them a number of years ago, and I have only got rid of a couple of pairs when the soles wore out. They aren't the kind you can have resoled.

Posted by Drifting Star (# 12799) on :

I gave up on Hotter when my previous perfect size with them stopped fitting (their change not mine), and they refused to refund either lot of postage. Their customer service was appalling - and still is, judging by a friend's recent experience.

I find that Evans shoes are very good. Almost all are EEE fitting, although they are half a size larger than the norm, and that makes me need a half size with them, which they don't do. Sandals and boots are fine - I go down half a size for sandals and up half a size for boots.

If you're a half size usually they might be well worth trying. They don't have many shops any more, but online they usually offer free delivery on orders over £50, and free returns.

quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
Why would shoes last longer if not worn all the time? I believe it could be true, but it doesn't make any sense to me.

Because there are days when they're not in use. On that basis, I've got 20 years worth out of one pair I still have, which I've worn about twice.

Some people though are saying that shoes get more uses when they are worn less often.

Posted by Tree Bee (# 4033) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:

The difference is the width of the last as there are differences between the average width of feet in different nationalities. Italians tend to have narrow feet when compared with the British.

Jengie

This is why I buy shoes from a factory shop that stocks continental brands. As I have narrow feet, AA, shoes made for the UK market rarely fit me.
I have a pair of shoes that I seldom wear that are older than cb as I bought them in 1978. The insoles are a little cracked but they still look good .
I find sandals wear out quickly and only last me 2 or 3 years. I put this down to wearing them with bare feet.

quote:
Some people though are saying that shoes get more uses when they are worn less often.

OK, possibly because they get the chance to dry out in between uses from body heat/rainy days, revert to their natural shape, not get too stretched by constant use, etc.

Incidentally do most other people wear shoes indoors? I always leave mine in the hall.

I have indoor shoes (slippers, scuffs, etc.) and outdoor shoes. This preserves the hardwood floors and carpets, also keeps things like leaves from being tracked in. I also have a couple pairs of shoes I keep at the office. Like many women with ordinary-sized feet I have an inordinate number of shoes, for all occasions, all weather conditions, all activities. I sincerely sympathise with all of you who have odd-sized feet.

Indoors I have bare feet in summer, socks in winter - can't be bothered with slippers, and in fact rather find them prone to living up to their name, and having two flights of stairs, regard them as risky.

Posted by Pomona (# 17175) on :

I have the opposite problem to a lot of people here - I have narrow feet, with high arches/instep . I basically have feet like a Barbie doll! However, while some high street shops do wide fit shoes, nowhere does narrow fit shoes now that Clarks have stopped doing their narrow range. I also need arch support, so ballet flats are out. I usually find trainers/sports shoes and Dr Martens to be the most comfortable. I recently got a pair of Red Or Dead sandals in a sort of strappy Birkenstock style (reduced in the Schuh sale). I wear a 5.5 normally, but these are a 5 and enormous on me! I think the style makes them wide.

Posted by Heavenly Anarchist (# 13313) on :

My feet are British size 2 1/2 and wide and flat, which means I have to wear size 3 as size 2 1/2 are very rare and if actually found are children's shoes and ridiculously narrow by any standard. Not all high street brands sell size 3 either.
My current shoes are wonderfully comfortable rubber soled Mary Jane's by Red or Dead; I have them in 3 colours [Hot and Hormonal] I always buy several colours if I find shoes that fit well. I expect these to last a good few years as they are well made with thick soles.
My husband finds shoes only last him 6 months to a year with constant wear.
eta Pomona, we must be describing the same shoes!

[ 12. May 2015, 20:33: Message edited by: Heavenly Anarchist ]

quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
My feet are British size 2 1/2 and wide and flat, which means I have to wear size 3 as size 2 1/2 are very rare and if actually found are children's shoes and ridiculously narrow by any standard. Not all high street brands sell size 3 either.
My current shoes are wonderfully comfortable rubber soled Mary Jane's by Red or Dead; I have them in 3 colours [Hot and Hormonal] I always buy several colours if I find shoes that fit well. I expect these to last a good few years as they are well made with thick soles.

These are my sandals. I wouldn't call them Mary Janes though!

Posted by SvitlanaV2 (# 16967) on :

Dr Martens have a range of 'shoes for life'. The idea is that you register the shoes when you buy them, and when they finally wear out you can get them replaced free of charge (plus postage and packing).

I have a pair of these shoes and can vouch that they're very hardy indeed. Far, far more expensive than any other shoes I'll ever buy, though.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:

OK, possibly because they get the chance to dry out in between uses from body heat/rainy days, revert to their natural shape, not get too stretched by constant use, etc.

It is more hygienic and healthier for your feet to regularly switch pairs.

Easy for me as I wear Converse as much as possible. I will put on no fancier shoe unless work or occasion requires.
And you can get Converse in sooo many colours and prints and there are many places which will apply custom artwork.

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
I own one pair of tennis shoes (trainers, whatever) and one pair of decent-for-funerals shoes. That's it, bar a pair of ballet slippers. The reason is that the forefront of my foot (you know, the bit that's supposed to be covered by the tongue and laces of a tennis shoe?) is about an inch higher than normal people's. Which means that unless the shoe has virtually no upper, it will crash against the bone there and hurt like hell. What do you call that, tall-footed? thick-footed?

High instep.

quote:
Whatever it is, it's a disaster for a woman who is required to wear non-laced closed toes work-formal shoes (i.e. pumps). I go straight to the men's department and most of those don't work either.

This is all made much much worse by the fact that I have to wear custom orthotics in my shoes, which raises the height of the foot one inch more.

Aravon shoes have removeable footbeds so you can put your orthotics in. They sell low-heeled pumps with a low vamp (the vamp is the part of the shoe that would go up over the instep if it had a high vamp). Something like this.

I have high arches and high insteps and plantar fasciitis, and the Aravon sandals I got in March are unbelievably comfy.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

(another person with arch issues here) those are a damn revelation!

Judy: I would be all over these.

[ 13. May 2015, 02:02: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Posted by Leaf (# 14169) on :

My taste in shoes tends to the monastic. I have three pairs of shoes, all black: sandals, oxfords, and pumps. That's pretty much it. Oh and one pair of white runners (sneakers, whatevs). Although I must admit that recently, in a fit of spring madness, I blew my mind and annual shoe budget on an outrageous pair of Fluevog heels.

I make up for the lack of quantity with quality. My oxford-types are either Ecco or Mephisto. This sort of thing. Yes, the name, I know, but I think of it as treading the devil underfoot. [Two face] The Mephistos are expensive, but I wear them every day, all day for years on end. My current pair is two years old, unbefrickinlievably comfortable, and I'll probably replace them next year.

Posted by Palimpsest (# 16772) on :

I have foot problems, wide feet and need orthotics.

If your orthotics and instep problems are not as bad as mine, it's worth finding a shoe store that carries orthopedic extra depth and extra wide shoes. They cost upwards of a hundred dollars, but they are usually well made.

They don't fit me so I need $1000 custom shoes which I get from a shoemaker in San Francisco. I think most of his clientele are diabetics who get one pair paid on the Kaiser health plan. I get a prescription but I have to foot the bill and get to San Francisco to get measured. I can pay for it with a pretax health flexible spending account

The good news is that the shoes last several years and I do a fair amount of walking and am very heavy. Mine finally wore out enough that there was a tear in the upper, but my local shoemaker repaired them when he resoled them. They get reheeled about every 6-8 weeks now that they have a new durable heel. I'm going to have to get a new pair this year.

Another thing that's very helpful are Thorlo padded socks. They come in various paddings that make them comfortable. They last a very long time. They are synthetic, and they need to be washed with fabric softener or they get hard.

[ 13. May 2015, 05:20: Message edited by: Palimpsest ]

quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
quote:

These are my sandals. I wouldn't call them Mary Janes though!
Ah,
these are mine but probably just as roomy! They are great for wide feet and I like the retro look. I might go and buy the dark green pair...

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Arch Anglo Catholic:
I 'rotate' my pairs of shoes, never wearing one pair for more than a day at a time, and they last much better.
I have four pairs and the four will last about 5-7 years. Good shoes will stand re-soling regularly and do require regular cleaning and polishing, but you do get what you pay for!

Not in my experience. I've paid £40 for a pair in a regular shoe shop and £15 in a cheapo place. Both lasted about 9 months.

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
High instep.

Aravon shoes have removeable footbeds so you can put your orthotics in. They sell low-heeled pumps with a low vamp (the vamp is the part of the shoe that would go up over the instep if it had a high vamp). Something like this.

I have high arches and high insteps and plantar fasciitis, and the Aravon sandals I got in March are unbelievably comfy.

Thanks for the correct term! I'll have to see if I can find some. Unfortunately, my instep is so high that I couldn't even wear that comfy-looking pair you linked to, I can tell already. I need virtually no vamp. After googling I am informed that the next step up is a club foot
[Ultra confused] --Off to google that now, as my mother was just diagnosed with a slight degree of that at age 70.

I love that idea of a lifetime guarantee. I would pay so much more for a pair of shoes with even a five or ten year guarantee. (Yes, I have looked at the couple companies that I know even sort of do that ll bean, and eddie bauer. Neither sells many women's dress shoes. Clarks guarantees their socks, but not as far as I can tell their shoes.) Considering the odds that people would forget to use their guarantees, I bet the added customer service value would be easily worth it. Heck, I've just given free publicity to the companies when I mentioned them just now.

All I can guess is that most people must actually enjoy shopping for shoes. Otherwise they'd stop changing their really successful shoes so that those of us who liked them and would rebuy them could!

[ 13. May 2015, 13:26: Message edited by: Gwai ]

Posted by bib (# 13074) on :

I find it very difficult to buy shoes in my size as it is rare to find a shoe shop carrying half sizes and our top shop in the city also had nothing wider than a C fitting (I like a D) as they claimed that women don't have feet that wide! Maybe I'm really a man.

Decorative and functional lacing.

[ 13. May 2015, 15:43: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

Ruth and LC, I'm also in the high instep/high arch club! Fortunately my feet seem healthy otherwise, it just makes shoe shopping a pain. Old lady shoes for me I guess!

I would definitely recommend the Red Or Dead sandals I linked to for women with wide feet - they're not described as wide-fitting but they definitely are! They're comfy but so huge on me, though I guess that's better than too small.

Posted by JoannaP (# 4493) on :

quote:
Incidentally do most other people wear shoes indoors? I always leave mine in the hall.

I do most of the time; as a child I was not allowed into my mother's sewing room without shoes on, in case there was a pin on the floor, and the habit has stuck.

quote:
Originally posted by JoannaP:
quote:

I do most of the time; as a child I was not allowed into my mother's sewing room without shoes on, in case there was a pin on the floor, and the habit has stuck.
Slippers in winter and wooden Scholl sandals in the summer. Purely for comfort . I feel uncomfortable when guests remove their shoes and when I'm asked to do so in other people's houses.

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Arch Anglo Catholic:

Shoes that have full welting can be successfully resoled and reheeled many times. Polishing is also necessary. Each night I choose the shoes I am going to wear the next day, and brush polish into them. In the morning, a quick buffing with a cloth and there you are. On these bases, my evening dress shoes (and some others) are now 40 years or more old and have lots of life in them.

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

My mother used to buy good shoes, usually made in England. She had several brands she liked. Hers lasted many years and had new soles and heels regularly.

I remember her disappointment when she had a cheaper, different brand pair resoled. They were never the same. resoling pulled them out of shape and made them pinch, something which never happened with the others.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Another DM wearer here: I wreck ordinary shoes within 6 months because I walk around so much, currently carrying a pack. DM boots do last a year or more under these conditions, but I can still break the soles on them (simultaneously with the uppers on the last pair). I have tried their shoes but the heels are too loose. The heels aren't great in the boots, but there's enough shape to hold them on round the ankle.

My other preference would be the kind of walking boots I'd wear at home, but I have to wear proper shoes under the company dress code.

I also know about alternating shoes to allow them to dry out properly between wearing which helps them last longer. I used to be much better doing this than I am now.

Posted by luvanddaisies (# 5761) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Hazey*Jane:

Depends on your style, but I've found Doc Martens of all varieties to be extremely durable. The soles last very well even with lots of walking. I miss having them in my wardrobe at the moment.

I think Docs used to be really durable - I have a pair that I got second-hand from my cousin more than twenty years ago,which are still fine (and they're the vegan ones, not even leather), but I bought a pair of [url= http://www.drmartens.com/uk//Men%252527s-Boots/Dr-Martens-939-Ben-Boot/p/11292001]these[/url] in February for work, thinking they'd be worth the money and last. Stupid. It rained yesterday, and I ended up with wet feet. The sole has split in the middle where it's glued, so there's a gap. They're still wet today, and I'm working today, so I will spend the whole shift with wet feet, and I can't afford to replace them at the moment.
Not impressed.

On a totally different note - how's about Godzilla heels? [Big Grin]

Posted by luvanddaisies (# 5761) on :

Oh, sorry. that's weird. The coding using the URL button didn't work, and I didn't look until after the edit window was over. I tried it again just now in this post, and it won't let me use the URL button to do it. If I'd known I'd have used tinyURL. Sorry.
Another reason Docs are crap [Biased]

I think that Dr Martens are no longer made in Britain, except for ones specifically labelled as made in Britain - these are marketed as 'heritage' ones and cost more. However mine are the cheaper, not made in Britain sort and I've not had any problems.

Posted by BessLane (# 15176) on :

I spend 8-12 hours a day standing on a concrete floor so I appreciate the value of a good pair of shoes. After much trial and error, I found on particular style of running shoe that works well for me and keeps my feet and back happy. The local clothing store keeps several pairs in my size in stock at all times since I'm usually only able to get about 3-4 months out of a pair before they start giving me problems. My current pair (a hideous bright pink color btw) are finally about shot so I'm going tomorrow to get a new pair, hopefully in a much more subdued color.

I once tried on a pair very similar to these. A few steps later they'd taken the skin off the back of my heels and were busy cutting through to the bone, but I did enjoy wearing them until then.

I'm getting fed up with sensible dark shoes which are based on comfort and practicality. I want something fun and colourful for a change, before I'm too old.

I bought these sandals in the blue colourway last Saturday and look forward to wearing them. They are comfy and oh so pretty.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:
I bought these sandals in the blue colourway last Saturday and look forward to wearing them. They are comfy and oh so pretty.

Oh, I want those -- in both colors! (I might be spending a day in Worcester this summer, and I notice they have a store there.)

Posted by Barefoot Friar (# 13100) on :

quote:

I'm sorry if this has already been answered; I didn't get to finish reading before I responded.

I used to sell shoes, and being the nerd that I am I read up on the subject so I could sell more. [Biased]

Shoes need to dry out after each wearing. Even though it may be freezing outside, and even if your shoes fit snugly, there's always a bit of friction inside between foot and sock and shoe, and that causes heat, and that causes perspiration. Also, I think I remember reading that something like a quarter of all your sweat glands are in your feet -- but don't quote me on that. Still, you shoes absorb this moisture (especially if your socks are doing their job correctly and wicking it away from your skin), and so need time to dry out. One way you can reduce the amount of moisture is to wear a good wicking sock. Try wool, if you haven't already -- yes, even in summer. They're pretty awesome. And soft.

Another reason is that a shoe bends every time you take a step. This constant bending back and forth begins to wear out the materials. Leather can take it a lot longer than many other materials, but the glues and stitches that attach the uppers to the lowers generally cannot (and that's also where the constant moisture starts to work first).

I buy the best pair I can possibly afford (and will stretch just to buy the good ones), because with shoes it seems that you get what you pay for. Merrells and Clarks have always worked very well for me, but I don't need a special size. I also start looking for sales before I actually need a new pair, so that I have more time to shop. Then the oldest "good" pair I have gets relegated to yard work and the yard pair gets thrown away.

Whether you end up with two pair or one, you can buy shoe trees to put in them when you aren't wearing them. I invested in cedar because the wood helps dry them better and helps get rid of any odor. I'm particularly careful to put them in my dress shoes. It helps them keep their shape, too. If you get your shoes especially wet, put them in a warm place (but not hot) and stuff newspaper inside. Change the paper once or twice if needed, and then put them away when they're dry to the touch. If the insoles come out, pull them out as well. Never put shoes in the dryer unless they're the yard shoes, because the heat will melt the insole and glues.

And that's way, way more than you ever wanted to know about shoes.

ETA: I wouldn't reccommend this for shoes you intend to wear more than once a week or so, but you can actually get shoes stretched. We used to have a stretcher in the stockroom and could do it in anywhere between a few minutes to overnight, depending on the amount needed. It generally only works with leather shoes, though, and can't change the length. But if you absolutely must have that pair of pumps for a wedding or weekly business meeting and simply cannot find your size, try a stretch.

[ 16. May 2015, 00:46: Message edited by: Barefoot Friar ]

Posted by Eigon (# 4917) on :

I used to be the "Saturday girl" at a vintage clothes shop, and I remember one lady trying on a pair of 1940s vintage high heels. She was delighted - she said she couldn't wear modern high heels, but these were really comfortable. (I'm afraid I don't remember what make they were)

I'm amazed that a Barefoot Friar wears shoes, let alone sells them [Big Grin]

Posted by Barefoot Friar (# 13100) on :

quote:
I'm amazed that a Barefoot Friar wears shoes, let alone sells them [Big Grin]

[Big Grin]

We all have our worldly temptations, don't we?

Posted by The Intrepid Mrs S (# 17002) on :

Another one with funny feet here - broad, rather flat, with occasional bumps on joints - oh, and chilblains ow ow ow. I wear a lot of Pavers or FlyFlot shoes and sandals, especially the clog/mule type as that saves me from having badly rubbed heels. As for breaking in new shoes, my feet always give in first so if the shoe isn't comfortable straight away, forget it.

Normally the clogs have a little bit of heel, but for Miss S's wedding I had a fab pair of Clarks fuchsia pink suede court shoes with high heels (and a little bit of a platform) and they were surprisingly comfortable, or maybe that was just the excitement [Yipee] .

Am I the only person who dislikes seeing girls in ballet flats? They can't give any support at all - will the poor things all have plantar fasciitis in later life?

Mrs. S, no-one hates shoe shopping more than me [Eek!]

Posted by Drifting Star (# 12799) on :

quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:

We should go shoe shopping together. We could glance in the direction of the shoe shop and then go and have coffee instead.

[ 19. May 2015, 08:26: Message edited by: Drifting Star ]

quote:
I wear a lot of Pavers or FlyFlot shoes and sandals, especially the clog/mule type as that saves me from having badly rubbed heels.

I had never heard of this brand, so I checked to see if they had a shop in Edinburgh. Turns out they have a discount place in Leith. Bit of a hunt through the backstreets and industrial estates, but found it and have come home with one pair of flats - blue with a narrow strap - and a pair of white-flowered muley things. Hopefully that's this summer's feet taken care of.

In fact this one and this.

quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
quote:

We should go shoe shopping together. We could glance in the direction of the shoe shop and then go and have coffee instead.
Sounds like a plan to me, D.S!

Mrs. S, avid coffee drinker

See I fear I'm the opposite. I go shoe-shopping all the time because my shoes are always aging--I walk a lot more than the average American as well as having odd feet--and most shopping trips yield nothing. Maybe if I bought expensive enough shoes they would, but every time someone recommended a brand as the brand that would last, they've lasted less than a year. This was true even when I had a pair that lasted two plus years so I brought another from the same company, not the same shoe because they didn't make it anymore, of course. It was just as expensive as the beautiful long-lasting pair, but they lasted six months.

I found some great name brand shoes unworn at a thrift shop, but three months later the soles are starting to look a little worn. Maybe I have three months, but that's the maximum these have, I fear. Sigh.

I hate shoe shopping because nothing fits me. When I do find a pair that do, they will not be available next time I need a pair. Another reason I love converse, the basic shoe has remained the same, or close enough I cannot tell, since I bought my first pair. They add styles I cannot use, but the basic Chuck Taylor's I can buy with confidence. Only downside is that they have little cushion. And snooty attitudes that do not accept them with formal wear.

[Duplicate post deleted, I guess at the same time as Yangtze also deleted her last, so reposted by Ariel! Sorry for the confusion.]

Originally posted by Yangtze:

I have a question - when people are saying their shoes don't last, what do you mean by that?

Presumably not just that the heels or soles have worn down because shoes can be re-heeled and re-soled. (I find that I need to re-heel shoes once or twice a year and re-sole around 12-18 months depending on the shoe and how often I wear it.)

The upper coming away from the sole? This seems to be happening more to me, including with re-soles. I keep meaning to get some appropriate glue so I don't have to take them back to the cobbler each time.

I've had buckles come unattached and elastic straps overstretch but the cobbler has managed to mend those. I've also replaced zips on boots (though that was not cheap).

If they get a bit too stretched I've found that insoles help for a bit. Ditto heel grips if lining wearing away at heel.

So is it something else that means a shoe is worn out that it has to be replaced rather than repaired? The other reasons I can think of are: stretching too much so too loose; inner back of heel/lining wearing through so that even heel grips don't help; shoe structural integrity sort of collapsing (this is happening with my favourite ballet flats).

Re lasting, often I do mean the sole or the heel is going, or at least that's a major part of it. If I buy a shoe for $80, the rest is going to have to be pretty unworn for me to have it re-soled for $40. For instance, let's say the upper is scuffed, the lining is wearing and the front toe has a not-yet-a-hole. It's just going to be a better for me to buy a new pair of shoes because that pair of shoes is more than half done. Also I often buy shoes on clearance racks for less than $40 dollars. I did have one pair of shoes re-soled for more than I paid for it, but it has to be a pretty impressive pair of shoes before I'm about to do that.

quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
Presumably not just that the heels or soles have worn down because shoes can be re-heeled and re-soled.

Some can't, apparently, because of the material they're made of.

Some split. The fabric might come away from the sole, or the sole itself might crack in the middle and let the rain in. It's usually one or the other with mine.

Sometimes the lining wears out, or into holes, may get stiff and stick up in spikes. Sometimes the heel bit wears out and the plastic or metal underneath the fabric becomes very noticeable when you wear them.

[ 19. May 2015, 19:40: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Posted by Yangtze (# 4965) on :

Is it more of an issue with shoes that aren't leather? I can see that trying to re-stick canvas (or PVC/PU) back to a sole might be hard.

Does sole cracking happen horizontally where the toe joints are? (If that makes sense?)

Also - re cheery shoes, I have these beauties. (The brand is Grenson - I managed to get them reduced.) Very comfy too.

Posted by Yangtze (# 4965) on :

quote:
...re-soled for $40...

[Eek!] Yikes. Round here it's about £10 for re-soling and £5 for re-heeling.

(Actually I think I paid £18 for re-soling one pair recently but there was something special about them, though I forget what right now! Maybe the pair with an actual hole in the sole.)

[ 19. May 2015, 20:09: Message edited by: Yangtze ]

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

LC--

quote:
I own one pair of tennis shoes (trainers, whatever) and one pair of decent-for-funerals shoes. That's it, bar a pair of ballet slippers. The reason is that the forefront of my foot (you know, the bit that's supposed to be covered by the tongue and laces of a tennis shoe?) is about an inch higher than normal people's. Which means that unless the shoe has virtually no upper, it will crash against the bone there and hurt like hell. What do you call that, tall-footed? thick-footed? Whatever it is, it's a disaster for a woman who is required to wear non-laced closed toes work-formal shoes (i.e. pumps). I go straight to the men's department and most of those don't work either.

This is all made much much worse by the fact that I have to wear custom orthotics in my shoes, which raises the height of the foot one inch more. My mother says I should just wear the shoebox and be done with it. Thanks, Mom.

Much of that is similar to me. I can't wear shoes where the opening is cut like ballet slippers, because it cuts into the high curve of my foot. I can wear loafers, sneakers (aka tennis/running shoes), some sandals, and some boots. I also need good balance and good traction. So I generally wear sensible shoes--Reebok's, Timberland, Ecco--with flat, thick, textured soles. I also tend to have just one pair at a time, because my feet have a hard time adapting between pairs.

ETA: Oh, and cost is a big issue. I go to discount outlets (like DSW), and look for sales there. I used to also go to stores like Timberland. I've also bought second-hand shoes--workable, if they're in good condition and you use a skin-safe, low-toxicity disinfectant. Or, if washable, put them through the washer, and dry on low heat.

[ 20. May 2015, 05:06: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

It was really annoying because I used to work for a boss who wanted "femininity" grrrrr in the women who worked under him, and that is simply not possible when your choice is tennis shoes (not allowed) or the only pair of man's formal shoes that fit in the whole freakin' city (not much of an exaggeration, that). I was so sorry to disoblige him (no I wasn't) but it was certainly one element in our disintegrating relationship. Heels he wanted, and heels he didn't get. (nor skirts, nor home-baked goodies, nor any of the other crap he expected from a professional)

Could women faced with dress codes that demand unsuitable shoes cite elfin safety and submit papers on the damage that ensues from incorrect footwear, pointing out that employers wouldn't really want legal cases about it, would they?

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

Lamb Chopped: what you're describing is called a high instep - not uncommon, not a deformity and there is a not too expensive solution.

Go to a shop that sells shoes for theatrical productions and ballet shoes: they will be used to producing made-to-measure shoes in a variety of styles. Go through the stuff they can produce and get them to make you a pair - they'll ensure they fit you properly and you should get a choice of styles.

If such a beast doesn't exist on your side of the pond then there are two firms in London, both of which do mail order: these are Annello & Davide and Freed of London.

A&D in particular may be of interest since they do theatrical/historical made-to-measure shoes (their styles start at pre-Roman and go through to 20th century, plus middle Eastern!). I'm pretty sure you'll find something to suit, although it may be pricey - but then something that fits properly will last longer in any case.

Thank you!

Posted by Jane R (# 331) on :

Lamb Chopped [Eek!] There are laws against that kind of behaviour in the EU, though they are not always rigorously enforced.

Penny S:
quote:
Could women faced with dress codes that demand unsuitable shoes cite elfin safety and submit papers on the damage that ensues from incorrect footwear, pointing out that employers wouldn't really want legal cases about it, would they?
Not for very much longer, judging by the rumblings from Westminster... today the Human Rights Act, tomorrow the Health and Safety Executive.

There are laws here too, I just had an asshole (and no good way of proving it). Sorry for the tangent! Back to much more interesting SHOES...

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
Lamb Chopped [Eek!] There are laws against that kind of behaviour in the EU, though they are not always rigorously enforced.

There seems to be some dispute about this at Cannes.

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
In fact this one and this.

Really hope that they give you happy feet, Firenze!

Mrs S, who will feel guilty if they don't [Hot and Hormonal]

I have been reading this with interest. I have flat feet, very flat and a fallen arch on one foot. Getting shoes which are comfortable on both feet is hard.

I always wear flat shoes, never heels, often with a strap over instep. Last night I walked a few metres from tap to table and could hardly put my right foot to the floor when I reached table.

Right shoe has spectacularly and suddenly died. It had come apart upper from sole, down inside length. There was a crack across part of the under instep, large portions of the sole appeared to have been chewed by a dog and left across the floor. Sole under heel was thinking of disintegrating.

These are about eight years old and have had a lot of wear. They were not expensive.

I am not complaining, I have had my money's worth. I am just surprised at the sudden overwhelming demise. I have others about the same age so will inspect regularly and carefully.

Posted by Pine Marten (# 11068) on :

I too have been reading this with interest. Currently I get my shoes from Cosyfeet , which was recommended on the Diabetes UK forums.

I have had surgery for bunions in the past, and as I also have type 2 diabetes I need to take extra care of my tootsies. Cosyfeet have very wide fitting shoes, soft seams, and they also do socks and hosiery. I despaired of finding shoes that fit before I discovered them - and if you have a chronic condition you don't have to pay VAT [Smile]

Thanks Pine Marten for the link. I have ordered some warm soft boots for winter here. Will get more if these are fine for me.

Posted by OliviaCA (# 18399) on :

Love this thread. [Smile]

I have practically given up on "serious" shoes, and tend to wear knitted-boot-slippers or men's sandals indoors, and trainers or men's sandals outdoors.

I did have a pair of red leather kickers bought second-hand ( nearly new ) which lasted ( about 5? ) years, and a pair of ( single-strap/mary-jane ) black caterpillars which lasted ditto, but haven't found anything like them since, so trainers it is, because cheap and comfortable.

Luckily I don't have a job with dress-code.

My sister gave me a pair of classy italian leather hiking boots last year which I dubbined, ( they need scraping though; I got a little too enthusiastic with the grease :lol ), but I'm almost afraid to wear them in case they wear out just before I need them for something serious.

At a wedding a few years back I was reduced to wearing tiny black-canvas-gym-dance-slip-ons.

The sort of shoe most women seem to wear to events/with smart clothing don't seem to belong in the same universe/dimension as my feet. :?

[Smile]

[ 22. May 2015, 14:12: Message edited by: OliviaCA ]

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

Depends on what you buy. I'd be very disappointed if my DocMartin AirWare shoes lasted less than 5 years.

Handmade shoes can last for years, for example, people take their children to a shop in Totnes especially to buy handmade shoes which can be stretched after 1 year to a larger size.

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

The children, of course, stretch themselves without much help except for feeding. [Devil]

The subject came up when I went to a friend's for lunch. She had even investigated bespoke shoes, but they would have cost £1000 for the first pair (including last making) and £500 thereafter. she is currently wearing shoes from Aldi.

Heavens. I remember my uncle telling me how he and my grandfather decided to make their own boots one year- quite successfully, I understand. For years our household impedimenta included a cobbler's last (which we used as a kind of mini anvil for cracking nuts).

quote:
Originally posted by OliviaCA:
I did have a pair of red leather kickers ...

Of course I read this as red leather knickers...

quote:
quote:

I think I may have seen a pair of those in M&S sale yesterday.

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
quote:
quote:

Sure it wasn't a S&M sale?

Posted by Chocoholic (# 4655) on :

Another pair of funny feet checking in! Little and wide and if I wear more than a loafer type heel for any time get quite a bit of pain around my big toe (even after I take them off as I've a small bunion). They also swell at the smallest provocation so I can sit down for dinner with one size feet, stand up a bit later and they've grown! So cue funny walking with suddenly tight shoes.
I love my Birkenstocks and crocs [Big Grin] sadly neither are allowed at work.

I did find some gorgeous fuschia faux suede ballet pumps at M&S a few years ago with a blingy bow, they are almos wearing through the sole now but I'm it sure I can get the resoled, I'd love to find some more though.

I've also had some blingy thing sandals from there, I can't usually wear those at all but these are so thin they are ok.
M&S wide fit range have kept me shod for a fair few years now

[ 23. May 2015, 11:24: Message edited by: Chocoholic ]

Fun morning trying on summer sandals in a variety of shops. The pair I particularly liked didn't fit, unfortunately, and the other pair I thought about would have been ankle-twisters but still pretty enough to make me regretful.

That and the quest for a new summer handbag will probably keep me entertained over the bank holiday.

Posted by OliviaCA (# 18399) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
quote:
quote:

Sure it wasn't a S&M sale?
:lol
... :rofl!
... ... [Overused]

[ 23. May 2015, 13:05: Message edited by: OliviaCA ]

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

I love my Fit Flops

I have two pairs of the flip flop ones and a pair of the clogs which are never off my feet in the house.

In the evenings I can be found five inch heel gorgoeus MissKG shoes, which I will be wearing for my son's wedding. So I am wearing them in and practicing wearing heels again as it's ages since I did!

I also have a pair of kitten heels wich will go under the twin's pram for when I can wear them no longer - I will let you know how long I last! (The wedding is on June 20th)

[ 23. May 2015, 13:23: Message edited by: Boogie ]

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

Now, Ship of Fools - I blame you!

I went on the KG site to link the shoes I bought for the wedding, wandered into the sale section and ordered a pair of boots!

Very nice too [Big Grin]

Posted by Pyx_e (# 57) on :

I made my own shoes last week.
One a day course, these but blue........

Very interesting experience and very comfortable shoes, I too have a high instep and as these are tailor made they are the best fitting shoes I have.

I never wear the same shoes 2 days running and have MANY shoes. sigh.

Wow, those look wonderful but are spendy.

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
I made my own shoes last week.

I never wear the same shoes 2 days running and have MANY shoes. sigh.

That looks clever, Pyx_e - I thought you only made bags. But I guess the principle is the same.

Actual Shoes

Many things were similar, though the shaping and lasting were new to me. And the way(s) soles are attached was the main reason I went.

Saddle Bags, not so many 3D curves. Hand stiched though.

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
Actual Shoes

Drool.

Pine Marten suggested Cosyfeet for comfortable, adjustable shoes. Lsat Friday I had an email re despatch of a pair of soft boots with straps around the ankle. I had ordered them four hours earlier. Today, Friday again, I am wearing them. They are very comfortable and I love them. Pretty good service to get to Sydney, Australia in a week from ordering.

Posted by Pine Marten (# 11068) on :

Glad to oblige, Lothlorien! Hope they last well [Biased]

Posted by Fineline (# 12143) on :

I buy good walking shoes from the Cotswolds shop, and I signed up for free to their scheme where they take my details, give me a card, and I get a two year guarantee on the shoes. These are my main shoes, and I often walk several miles a day, and I expect them to last two years or I will get them replaced. They have lasted eighteen months so far.

I should add that the brand I buy is Salomon, and they cost £85. And I have odd-shaped feet - very wide, high and short, with very high arches, and normally shoes don't last me more than six months. But these are good. Merrell is a good brand too - the staff in the shop are good at recommending what is good for your needs, if you go to a shop that specialises in outdoors gear. I asked for trainers and they recommended walking shoes instead, and they were right. I find walking shoes better than trainers because they are firm and supportive, and my ankles twist easily. And because I walk - I don't run. I always buy waterproof shoes, because there's lots of rain where I live.

I was reading the other day that Doc Martens have certain shoes and boots that come with a lifetime guarantee - the 'for life' brand. I've never tried Doc Martens, but it intrigued me - apparently they will continue to repair or replace them whenever they wear out. Seems a good investment.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

You mean the Dr Martens For Life range. But they do make heels, flowers and fun boots, plus shoes, but I haven't been able to wear the shoes.

Ah yes, I meant 'range', rather than 'brand'. They have both boots and shoes in the 'for life' range:

For women
For men

I think I would find the boots more comfortable than the shoes, although I've never tried either, so don't know.

Posted by daisydaisy (# 12167) on :

quote:

Thank you for finding these - I have ordered the fuschia colour pair online because my nearest 2 shops aren't stocking them.... I don't usually buy shoes online because my feet are so fussy, but these look like they'll do the trick.

quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
quote:

Thank you for finding these - I have ordered the fuschia colour pair online because my nearest 2 shops aren't stocking them.... I don't usually buy shoes online because my feet are so fussy, but these look like they'll do the trick.
😄

*whine* Why oh why will nobody put a for life type guarantee on any kind of shoe I could even maybe wear into an office? Even a two year guarantee. Boy would they keep all my business */whine*

On the other hand, I have at least found a brand of shoes I like and can wear at affordable prices. My husband will have to put up with me having a spare pair of shoes in the closet. (For a man who doesn't have any shoes besides dress shoes and winter boots, me having winter boots, sandals, other pair of sandals someone gave me, black dress boots, brown dress boots, and backup black dress boots is a huge number of shoes.)

[ 03. June 2015, 15:02: Message edited by: Gwai ]

quote:
...I have at least found a brand of shoes I like and can wear at affordable prices.

Please tell us what they are.

quote:
*whine* Why oh why will nobody put a for life type guarantee on any kind of shoe I could even maybe wear into an office? Even a two year guarantee. Boy would they keep all my business */whine*

On the other hand, I have at least found a brand of shoes I like and can wear at affordable prices. My husband will have to put up with me having a spare pair of shoes in the closet. (For a man who doesn't have any shoes besides dress shoes and winter boots, me having winter boots, sandals, other pair of sandals someone gave me, black dress boots, brown dress boots, and backup black dress boots is a huge number of shoes.)

Could you not wear the Dr Martens brogue/Oxford type shoes? Like this ?

[ 03. June 2015, 19:25: Message edited by: Pomona ]

I did seriously consider it. Thing is I need shoes I could sometimes wear with a dress/skirt. I don't do dresses and skirts that often, but not never.

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

I haven't worn shoes in the last 15 years.

© Ship of Fools 2016