Thread: Recommend me a bible Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=028273

Posted by Squibs (# 14408) on :

I'm looking for a good study bible. The new spirit filled life bible has been suggested, and I'm wondering if there are any opinions on this or other version.

Posted by Bullfrog. (# 11014) on :

I'm growing fond of the Greek New Testament myself...

Though if you're not into languages, I'd go with an NRSV. Boring, but reliable and generally accurate.

Posted by Nigel M (# 11256) on :

I've enjoyed Jack Hayford's teachings over the years, Squibs. Some would find his focus too restrictive, but he he does cover a good breadth and depth of teaching and pastoral insight compared to other teachers from within a pentecostal strand of Christianity.

And then there's also the chorus "Majesty"!

The only drawback for me is the use of the KJV as the base for study. Unless one is born and brought up with that mode of expression, it can be like learning a whole new language for new Christians. A bit of a separatist put off!

Thanks folks. Greek is out for the moment, I'm afraid; I've got other fish to fry. NKJ version is a bit of a turn off, but it gets good reviews on amazon. I was hoping there was something a little more accessible (NIV or some such) but also a little scholarly. In other words, I want something beyond a translation - maps, histories, acknowledgments of variances between Greek texts etc. Something that's not boring [Biased]

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

Scholarly ESV would do. There is a ESV Study Bible. This comes from a more conservative stable but it is a decent translation.

Jengie

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

I like the NRSV Study Bible and also the Jerusalem and New Jerusalem Bibles.

The pulpit edition of the Jerusalem Bible is full of background information, maps, etc.

Moo

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

And on that note I'll plug The Lutheran Study Bible from Concordia Publishing House (they're associated with the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod). I have one of these. Definitely interesting, tons of added information in the notes, essays, etc., scholarly (if you like the church fathers, you'll find them all over the place in the notes, along with anthropological/cultural information, etc. etc.) and the translation is English Standard Version, which is a bit clunky at times but a decent translation.

Caveats: It is unabashedly conservative, which may or may not bother you--the editors etc. take inerrancy for granted, and hold to everything in the creeds. It is scholarly to the point of "Did I really want to know that detail?" and having notes that climb halfway up the page or higher. As a result, the thing is heavy--Duchess would love it as a replacement for her steel plated Bible. Paper is a bit on the thin side, I would guess to keep weight down, but eco-friendly source. I keep hoping they'll bring out a more portable form--I hear rumors of an e-book version soon, but I don't know in what format. Just flipped over to their page and found there's a sale going on right now--it's here.

I'm sorry. It's just that my church has put out something I'm rather proud of, and I can't help giving it a plug here!

Posted by Dinghy Sailor (# 8507) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Scholarly ESV would do. There is a ESV Study Bible. This comes from a more conservative stable but it is a decent translation.

I've heard nothing but praise for the ESV study bible. The Oxford Annotatd NRSV is also highly spoken of as a study bible.

Posted by tclune (# 7959) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Dinghy Sailor:
quote:

I've heard nothing but praise for the ESV study bible. The Oxford Annotatd NRSV is also highly spoken of as a study bible.
Well then, let me speak up. I really wanted to like the ESV Study Bible. If you eee the ads that were sent everywhere when it first came out, it claimed to be a very colorful and fully-illustrated Bible. This is just not true. There are about two dozen illustrations in the whole 2000+ pages of this thing. That drives me crazy -- there is no reason on God's green earth why it is so hard to find a well-illustrated Bible. There's lots of things that would benefit from photographs, maps, charts, mini-articles, etc. in scripture. But the Bbiles in print act like we are still stuck in the 1950s.

The only really well-designed Bible in this regard that I know about is The Learning Bible from the ABS. It is profusely illustrated with photos, artwork, maps, and charts that are very helpful in understanding the text as well as in raising your interest. If it had five times as many illustrations it would be better, but it is lavishly illustrated compared to any other Bible.

It has good articles and notes that explain the current thinking of the mainstream scholars without being filled with jargon. It would be just about ideal if it only had a decent translation for adults. Unfortunately, it is only available in the CEV or the NIV. The CEV is targeted to people who read at a grade-school level. The NIV was created by the most dishonest group of Biblical scholars ever to create a translation IMO. Other than that small problem, it would be ideal.

The ESV Study Bible pretends to have created something along these lines, but it is a marketing lie. When you see their video or read their ads, you would think that it is wall-to-wall illustrations. When you pick it up, you will be hard-pressed to find even one. I like the ESV translation, except for their usual con-evo bad faith of jumping to the Septuagint when they come to the Isaiah 7 "virgin" prophecy or Psalm 22's "pierced hands" language. For the most part, the study notes don't seem skewed to apologetics, though.

My favorite study Bible for studying translation issues is the NET Bible. This goes the opposite way of the Learning Bible -- the text is unremittingly plain and you need to read every one of the 60,000+ footnotes as you go along to understand what the book is trying to communicate. It is not for folks who need any coaxing to read their scriptures, and the notes don't discuss anything except translation or variants of text issues. But, for that, it is just wonderful.

The Harper Collins NRSV Study Bible is excellent for a general round-up of contemporary scholarly understanding. Again, it is pretty stark when it comes to illustrations, but if you can survive the visual desert it has lots of good information.

The Interpreter's Study Bible (again, NRSV) takes a pastoral approach to its notes. If you are preparing sermons, this study Bible might be a good resource. Again, wide margins are their notion of visual richness.

The Renovare Study Bible concentrates on spiritual development. Again, it is NRSV. If by "study" you mean "spiritual growth," this is an interesting choice. Once again, no photos or artwork.

I agree with those who recommend the New Jerusalem bible for a translation. It strikes a wonderful balance between formal equivalence and readability. There is one version that has some notes, but the Catholics seem to shy away from study notes in general. You really won't find a full-blooded "study" version of this translation. And the only illustration is on the dust jacket.

The Life Application Study Bible is available in KJV, NKJV, NIV, and NLT if memory serves. This is supposed to be the best-selling study Bible in print. It is devoid of color, but has helpful small maps and occasional black-and-white illustrations to relieve the visual boredom. The notes are more conservative than suits my taste, but they are quite fair in their treatment of factual material. It wouldn't be the worst choice one could make for a study Bible, especially if you were interested in studying scripture from a conservative Protestant point of view. FWIW

--Tom Clune

quote:
Originally posted by tclune
I agree with those who recommend the New Jerusalem bible for a translation. It strikes a wonderful balance between formal equivalence and readability. There is one version that has some notes, but the Catholics seem to shy away from study notes in general. You really won't find a full-blooded "study" version of this translation.

The Jerusalem translation is very similar, and the notes in the Pulpit edition are exhaustive.

Moo

Posted by LutheranChik (# 9826) on :

I personally appreciate my New Interpreters NRSV Study Bible, although it was quite spendy.

Some of my friends also recommend the Harper-Collins Study Bible, which is a trade paperback -- less expensive and easier to tote.

quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
I personally appreciate my New Interpreters NRSV Study Bible, although it was quite spendy.

The last time I checked, this was available at a very reasonable price used from Amazon MArketplace and Alibris. I don't usually check AbeBooks, but it is worth checking for these things, too. You can often get like-new books for less than half the discounted new price on Amazon. FWIW

--Tom Clune

Oh dear, I was all set to buy the ESV Study Bible till TC torpedoed it. Just to clarify, this is for my own spiritual growth and I would be coming from, let's say, a quite open minded protestant angle.

I'll have to research the suggestions given so far. Thanks all.

Posted by Bullfrog. (# 11014) on :

quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:

Some of my friends also recommend the Harper-Collins Study Bible, which is a trade paperback -- less expensive and easier to tote.

[TANGENT]Easy to tote on the scale of large paperback books, perhaps!

I lugged a HarperCollins to and from school every class I was in, until just this past semester O opted for a pocket-sized bible sans footnotes. While I miss the footnotes on occasion, my back is grateful for the lighter load.[/TANGENT]

Posted by Custard (# 5402) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Dinghy Sailor:
quote:

I've heard nothing but praise for the ESV study bible.
Likewise. My other half (not a conservative evangelical) was given one and loves it...

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
The NIV was created by the most dishonest group of Biblical scholars ever to create a translation IMO.

You really need to get over your problem with the NIV. Its not a very good translation, and its not in very good English, which are reasons enough not to use it for study, but your fantasy about it being some sort of far-out evil Fundamentalist plot is really not relevant to advising someone else what Bble to read.

quote:
Originally posted by Squibs:
Oh dear, I was all set to buy the ESV Study Bible till TC torpedoed it.

He didn't torpedo it. He just said that it has too few pictures for him. And he moaned about one well-known disputed translation in Isaiah 7 which everybody knows about already so you can just skip that word when you come to it if it really causes you as much grief as it seems to cause him. Personally I wouldn't read a study Bible for the pictures, but for the textual notes and background information it had. So if the ESV study Bible has supporting text that you find useful, why not read it.

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
...t your fantasy about it being some sort of far-out evil Fundamentalist plot is really not relevant to advising someone else what Bble to read.

That seems like a very good reason to advise against. You might feel that I should take medication to clear up the "fantasy," But as long as it is my view, there is every reason to advise accordingly, just as you may have every reason to caution people that -- by your lights -- I am hallucinating.

--Tom Clune

I'm grateful for all the opinions expressed, and I'm sorry that I seem to have opened some old wounds; I really just wanted some guidance on this. Anywho, I've settled on the ESV. It has enough bright and shiny surfaces to hold my attention and it's also reasonably priced. I should, of course, spend more time looking at the options, but like a modern (and male) Veruca Salt, I'm impatient, and I want it noooow!

Posted by Jessie Phillips (# 13048) on :

Good study Bible? It's got to be The New Oxford Annotated Bible with Apocrypha Augmented Third Edition New Revised Standard Version in my opinion.

Mind you, it would help if you could say what sort of things you are hoping to achieve from your Bible study. I don't think there's a single resource that caters for absolutely every whim of Bible-related curiosity that might ever cross my mind - so I have several study Bibles bulging out of my bookcase.

quote:
He didn't torpedo it. He just said that it has too few pictures for him.
If you want a Bible with pictures in it, I'd suggest the Lion Graphic Bible. I don't see the point in incidental pictures; if you're going to have pictures at all, it might as well be all the way through.

Posted by Edward Green (# 46) on :

I now use the 'Life With God Bible' (form Renovare) in a nice brown faux cow - NRSV with Apocrypha. Much easy to lug about than the New Oxford Annotated (Burgandy Calf Skin, index cut) NRSV I used to use.

I have some commentaries and other stuff on my phone - the NIV is there in case I need to translate!

quote:
Originally posted by Jessie Phillips:
Good study Bible? It's got to be The New Oxford Annotated Bible with Apocrypha Augmented Third Edition New Revised Standard Version in my opinion.

Mind you, it would help if you could say what sort of things you are hoping to achieve from your Bible study. I don't think there's a single resource that caters for absolutely every whim of Bible-related curiosity that might ever cross my mind - so I have several study Bibles bulging out of my bookcase.

quote:
He didn't torpedo it. He just said that it has too few pictures for him.
If you want a Bible with pictures in it, I'd suggest the Lion Graphic Bible. I don't see the point in incidental pictures; if you're going to have pictures at all, it might as well be all the way through.
Just to clarify, I ordered the ESV study bible several days ago (mentioned in my last post) and I received it today (pictures were never a deal breaker, perhaps you misunderstood this).

Although I haven't had a proper chance to study it yet, I'm quite happy with what I've seen. I am a little worried that it may be coming from a Calvinistic angle, but I'll just have to see. If this one doesn't work out I can always return to this thread and do a better job of researching recommendations.

I meant to add a final "thanks to all for the recommendations" to my previous post.

Posted by Benny Diction 2 (# 14159) on :

I'm going to make a late pitch for the NIV. I've used the NIV Study Bible (and also the New Life NIV) for almost 20 years as my starting point.

Over the last year I've been reading and referring to NRSV more - partly as I was given a NRSV Bible for ordination last summer. It's OK. The only reason I'm slightly luke warm about it is the way it is laid out. That said I did get a copy of the NRSV New Interpreters Study Bible for college (that's what was expected) and did find it good as a study Bible.

If, tempted to go for Bible commentaries at some time then I certainly would recommend the New Interpreters series.

Posted by dalej42 (# 10729) on :

Anyone have any experience with the King James Study Bible published by Thomas Nelson? I've already got the NRSV Oxford Annotated study Bible, but I thought I'd read a different translation this year.

Posted by Grammatica (# 13248) on :

I suppose it would be very impertinent of me to intrude on this serious discussion by indicating my fondness for this translation.

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

That looks like fun!

Posted by Yerevan (# 10383) on :

I'm actually quite uncomfortable with the whole idea of study Bibles. IMO setting scripture within a pre-packaged interpretative framework takes away some of its power to shock or challenge or confuse. And study Bibles almost always reflect the particular biases of their authors, so if you're using one on its own you end up with a very closed viewpoint. I know money may be an issue, but if it isn't its probably worth getting a few study bibles from different traditions for comparison. At least then you can make up your own mind.

[ 16. April 2010, 18:39: Message edited by: Yerevan ]

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

That's the main reason why I haven't purchased the latest Orthodox bible -- it's a new(ish) translation from the LXX, but it comes very heavily annotated. I've always felt it a bit dodgy to put commentary inside the same cover as holy writ -- too easy to forget they're two different things, and come away with the idea that what you read was what the Bible said, rather than an interpretation.

Posted by Yerevan (# 10383) on :

PS If you don't want to go to the lengths of buying several study Bibles it might be worth making sure that your main Bible isn't a study one. That at least creates some gap between scripture and interpretation.

Posted by Oblatus (# 6278) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Jessie Phillips:

I've got the fourth edition now, in hardcover. Still waiting, though, for someone to publish the NRSV in a text-only single-column format gorgeously printed and bound. And/or the REB, similarly.

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
That's the main reason why I haven't purchased the latest Orthodox bible -- it's a new(ish) translation from the LXX, but it comes very heavily annotated. I've always felt it a bit dodgy to put commentary inside the same cover as holy writ -- too easy to forget they're two different things, and come away with the idea that what you read was what the Bible said, rather than an interpretation.

Sola scriptura?Has our beloved mousethief fallen into the hands of a cult of Calvinists? [Big Grin]

--Tom Clune

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

Jessie P. Posted
quote:

I would second that post, but add I like it very much as a regular reading Bible but choose to do my study of the text from a variety of other sources as well.

Posted by 3rdFooter (# 9751) on :

I am also not a fan of bibles full of articles that tell you what a passage means. A study bible should have
and probably that is about it.

Brief plug for the New Jerusalem Bible, which has served me pretty well.

It is also very large and so gives you gravitas when you take it to a group study/lecture....

Posted by Helen-Eva (# 15025) on :

quote:
[qb]...t your fantasy about it being some sort of far-out evil Fundamentalist plot is really not relevant to advising someone else what Bble to read.

I have an NIV which I have had since I was a teenager and which I bought because a) my friend doing religious studies A Level said it was good and b) it had pictures in. In my innocence I had no idea that suggestions of far-out evil Fundamentalist plots attached to it. In a spirit of only mild mischeviousness, if there are far-out Fundy Bibles, what is the translation going furthest the other direction along the continuum from fundamentalism? (the most liberal? the least literalist?)

quote:
Originally posted by Helen-Eva:
quote:
... your fantasy about it being some sort of far-out evil Fundamentalist plot is really not relevant to advising someone else what Bble to read.

I have an NIV which I have had since I was a teenager and which I bought because a) my friend doing religious studies A Level said it was good and b) it had pictures in. In my innocence I had no idea that suggestions of far-out evil Fundamentalist plots attached to it. In a spirit of only mild mischeviousness, if there are far-out Fundy Bibles, what is the translation going furthest the other direction along the continuum from fundamentalism? (the most liberal? the least literalist?)
Ken was responding to me. I said that it was dishonest, not fundamentalist. The things that bother me about the NIV are the way that it distorts text to make it fit their theology. For example, when the NIV has Jesus say that the mustard seed is the smallest seed that you plant, it is adding words for no other reason than to "correct" God Himself! There is no hint at all of such wording from Christ. The only value of such things is that they protect literalism from obvious problems for a literalist mind. Maybe that isn't what God had in mind for His text...

The NIV injects these editorial sprucings-up throughout scripture without warning. Most translators, if they do such things, do them in a predictable way. Translators who insist on gender-inclusive language (a practice of which I personally disapprove -- save the editorializing for the footnotes) are pretty easy to anticipate. Whenever they write "brothers and sisters" or "friends of all gender persuasions" or whatever they wish the writer had said, it is pretty obvious.

But when the NIV inserts its rewrites, they can appear anywhere and for any reason that the NIV translation team thought was at odds with their understanding of what scripture ought to have said in order for their interpretation of scripture to be right. There is no predicting it, and the seldom even footnote their perfidy.

None of this is really "liberal" or "conservative." About the only thing that seems to be a hobby horse of conservatives is to substitute the text of the LXX for the Masoretic text in the places I indicated above. I think that is a foul practice -- our Easter Orthodox brethren have always maintained that the LXX is the right OT for Christians, and base their argument substantially upon the fact that the NT always quotes the LXX when it quotes the OT.

Obscuring that fact has the inevitable side-effect of diffusing an important argument that includes issues of which books belong in the OT canon. It is hard for me to see this editorial poaching (on the part of people who rail against liberals for "picking and choosing" their scripture!) as anything other than dishonesty. We owe it to our brothers in Christ to give their views an honest hearing, even if some people then work out their salvation with fear and trembling by becoming EO instead of evangelical.

So, for me, the polar opposite of the NIV would be a translation that identifies which version of scripture it will translate and then renders it as accurately and dispassionately as possible. There are many ways of doing that -- Buber's (and more recently Fox's) approach to translating the Torah, the NET approach to translating the Masoretic OT and NA27 NT, and the NETS translation of LXX all represent very different theological perspectives. But they represent an integrity in honoring the text above their own desires that is what I would seek as the "anti-NIV" in any translation.

--Tom Clune

[ 04. May 2010, 19:18: Message edited by: tclune ]

Posted by The Silent Acolyte (# 1158) on :

I'll freely admit to being not as smart as the other children, tclune, so please forgive me this obvious question, but when you say
quote:
About the only thing that seems to be a hobby horse of conservaties is to substitute the text of the LXX for the Masoretic text in the places I indicated above. I think that is a foul practice -- our Easter Orthodox brethren have always maintained that the LXX is the right OT for Christians, and base their argument substantially upon the fact that the NT always quotes the LXX when it quotes the OT.
does that really mean that there are translators of the OT who happily munch through translating the Masoretic Text until they get to something quoted from the LXX by the NT, at which point they translate the LXX until the end of the quoted bit, at which point they return to the MT?

I did not know I led such a sheltered life. Please tell me it ain't so.

[ 04. May 2010, 19:25: Message edited by: The Silent Acolyte ]

quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
Please tell me it ain't so.

It's so, kid.

--Tom Clune

Posted by The Silent Acolyte (# 1158) on :

Aiyah!

I thought I lived in a thoroughly different kind of universe, where such things did not exist, which is why I had such a hard time accepting the facts as that quote presented them.

As a kind of wrong answer to the opening post—an anti-answer—perhaps you would be willing to sully this electronic page with the names of some of these perfidious not-translations.

[ 04. May 2010, 20:19: Message edited by: The Silent Acolyte ]

I'm not really all that exercized by the translations that fall into this pattern -- it is a pretty well-marked pothole in the road to Biblical literacy. But the translations that play fast-and-loose with Isaiah 7 and Psalm 22 are just about all of them.

Exceptions include any Jewish translation (of course), the NRSV, the NJB, and the NET Bible. I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones that come immediately to mind.

--Tom Clune

[ETA: Of course, those translation that are actually translating LXX will also be reliable renderings of their text. I don't know of any instance in which the LXX is translated to make it read like the Masoretic text, but perhaps a Shipmate will have an example of this.]

[ 04. May 2010, 20:35: Message edited by: tclune ]

Don't forget "Kiss the son".... Psalm 2, I think.

Posted by Helen-Eva (# 15025) on :

quote:
quote:
Please tell me it ain't so.

It's so, kid.

--Tom Clune

I didn't know that either. Clearly I am both ignorant and naive. From a historical/textual criticism point of view that is pretty much pants.

There is a thread in Limbo which discusses problems with the NIV.

Moo

Posted by sebby (# 15147) on :

This has been a most interesting series of comments and clearly since my college days there have been many more English translations of scripture. It is as if I've woken Rumplestiltkin like from a deep sleep.

I cannot comment on a 'study bible' but feel that the use of different translations year by dear can aid devotion. I've loved the AV for years and then found the RSV magnificent for liturgical use. The GNB gave a freshness...and so on. The only translation that I simply had to push aside was the NEB which was stilted, archaic (on publication) and so very 60s. I shouldn't think anyone would refer to it now.

I have to disagree with the shipmate who criticised the English of the NIV. It is its style that commends it to me. In fact, the English is rather good.

However, I remember my professor remarking unkindly to an undergraduate who produced a copy after it had just been published in a tutorial: 'do put that away Mr Taylor. It's a work of fiction.'

Posted by Luke (# 306) on :

For ease of reading stick with the NIV but for tricky, controversial or unusual passages go to the ESV.

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

It seems like a lot of people find the ESV stiff and stilted sounding. I don't. From the first read, I've found it formal but expressive.

Posted by Oblatus (# 6278) on :

quote:
Originally posted by sebby:
The only translation that I simply had to push aside was the NEB which was stilted, archaic (on publication) and so very 60s. I shouldn't think anyone would refer to it now.

Do have a look at its successor, though: the Revised English Bible (REB).

Posted by Wilfried (# 12277) on :

I quite like the REB. It reads nicely with well rendered English. As a looser, less literal, "dynamic equivalence" tranlation, it makes for good text for simple reading (as opposed to close textual study). Unfortunately, it never got any traction in the United States, and few have even heard of it. It's ship seems to have sailed, and it's getting hard to find in any edition other than used hardback.

quote:
does that really mean that there are translators of the OT who happily munch through translating the Masoretic Text until they get to something quoted from the LXX by the NT, at which point they translate the LXX until the end of the quoted bit, at which point they return to the MT?

I did not know I led such a sheltered life. Please tell me it ain't so.

Another bugaboo moment in the NIV people point to is Genesis 2:8, which reads "Now the LORD God had planted a garden in the east, in Eden; and there he put the man he had formed." In most Bibles, the verb is simple past, "The Lord God planted..." I understand that there is no warrant for the pluperfect in the Hebrew, so it appears to be an attempt to harmonize Genesis 1 and 2, since Genesis 1 has God creating plants before man.

Posted by Autenrieth Road (# 10509) on :

I have the REB -- bought quite a few years now, and now rebound with pages repaired. It was my go-to bible for many years, and I've marked all the BCP lectionary (Sundays, not dailys) readings in it, as part of a project to visually see how much of the Bible was covered on Sundays.

For a while now I've been reading my RSV Confirmation bible (i.e. gift from when I was confirmed), enjoying the closer adherence to the literal text. But I'm embarking on a project of reading the epistles in chronological order, and I find them difficult enough to read, so I'm back to the REB.

I also have an NEB which I hunted down last year in a used bookstore -- the big thing I regretted about the REB compared to the NEB was that the REB reintroduced verse numbers at the start of every sentence instead of discreetly in the margin. I know it makes it easier to find citations, but it also breaks up the reading and makes it a bit less like reading a normal book, which is what wowed me about the NEB when I first found it several years ago before I bought my REB. (I was looking for an NEB at that point, but couldn't find it, hence REB.)

[ 12. May 2010, 14:27: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

Posted by A.Pilgrim (# 15044) on :

[Warning to shipmates: Long post!]

quote:
... The things that bother me about the NIV are the way that it distorts text to make it fit their theology. For example, when the NIV has Jesus say that the mustard seed is the smallest seed that you plant, it is adding words for no other reason than to "correct" God Himself! There is no hint at all of such wording from Christ. The only value of such things is that they protect literalism from obvious problems for a literalist mind. Maybe that isn't what God had in mind for His text...

The NIV injects these editorial sprucings-up throughout scripture without warning. Most translators, if they do such things, do them in a predictable way. Translators who insist on gender-inclusive language (a practice of which I personally disapprove -- save the editorializing for the footnotes) are pretty easy to anticipate. Whenever they write "brothers and sisters" or "friends of all gender persuasions" or whatever they wish the writer had said, it is pretty obvious.

But when the NIV inserts its rewrites, they can appear anywhere and for any reason that the NIV translation team thought was at odds with their understanding of what scripture ought to have said in order for their interpretation of scripture to be right. There is no predicting it, and the seldom even footnote their perfidy.

This is not a characteristic specific to the NIV, but can be seen in any version of the bible translated following the ethos of dynamic equivalence, and most versions produced since the 1970s have followed this ethos. A full discussion of the pros and cons of dynamic equivalence (in contrast to ‘essentially literal’ translation) would take an extensive essay, even a book, so I won’t try.

But the two main principles of it could be summarised as: a) rather than keeping strictly to the words of the original, the translators try to get behind the words to the ‘thought’ of the original author and re-express those ‘thoughts’ in more comprehensible language; and b) the usage of the target language (the one being translated into) has absolute primacy, and if this means abandoning the usage and phraseology of the source language, then so be it. The foremost requirement is that the reader should be able to understand easily, rather than the original text being faithfully represented. To achieve this, the translators may insert words in order to explain what they think the text means, in addition to the words that the original author (/editor, etc.) actually wrote. (As objected to in the first para quoted above.)

There is now a whole range of translations showing a varying extent of use of the dynamic equivalence ethos, with the NIV at the conservative (or restrained) end, the GNB somewhere in the middle, and the New Living Translation (NLT) and The Message at the liberal (or enthusiastic) end. Indeed, the result has been a blurring of any distinction between translation and paraphrase (which is what the Living Bible was originally considered to be).

For me, finding out that the NIV used dynamic equivalence explained something that had been puzzling me for ages. When using my Greek/English Interlinear bible with accompanying NIV text, there were often discrepancies between the Greek text and the NIV. I put this down to the comment in the introduction that the NIV wasn’t exclusively based on the Nestle-Aland Greek text (which was the Greek version printed there), but used an eclectic mix of original texts. But I was wrong! It was because the translators had added or changed words in order to clarify (in their opinion) the meaning of the text they were translating.

Recently I have developed a deep-seated distrust and suspicion of all dynamic equivalence versions , and a key influence in that development was reading the book: The Word of God in English: Criteria for excellence in Bible Translation by Leland Ryken (Crossway, 2002) (More info on Amazon as usual, text also available as a free download for personal use here).

Ryken was the literary style editor for the ESV, (an ‘essentially literal’ translation) so it’s no surprise that his critique of dynamic equivalence is a robust one, but I found his arguments pretty convincing. I won’t try to reproduce them here, but I reckon from the quotation above that tclune would agree wholeheartedly with them, too. I would describe this book as the most outstandingly enlightening book that I have read in the last 10 years.

However, the debate on the subject is a lively one, with proponents of both sides of the argument having strongly-held views. On the one side is the opinion that making the Word of God accessible and understandable to the modern mind is a very worthwhile activity, while on the other is the opinion that trying to re-write the bible by getting inside the heads of the original authors (etc.) and re-expressing what you think they meant to say but didn’t actually do so, is to distort the Word of God from its original expression. My preference is to have an accurate representation of the original text that I struggle to understand, rather than a version that is made clearly understandable by simplification, re-phrasing and insertion, but which fails to convey the ambiguities, subtleties, metaphors and imagery of the original. (As ever, other opinions may vary.)

To try desperately to bring this post back on topic, I would reckon that a bible version for in-depth study, using commentaries and maybe venturing into the Hebrew and Greek texts, would best be an essentially literal version. While reading Ryken’s book, I compiled a list of translations which I understood to be done on the principle of ‘essentially literal’ or ‘optimal equivalence’, so for the information of shipmates I’ll reproduce it here: KJV (1611); RV (1881-1885); American Standard Version (1901); RSV (1946-1957); NASB (1971); NKJV (1982); NASB(Updated) (1995); ESV (2001); Holman Christian Standard Bible (2004). Nine in 400 years. Not many, is it? Though there may be others I don’t know about.

The editorial decision of the translators of the NRSV to eliminate gender-specific language means that I don’t reckon it to be ‘essentially literal’, as it is a practise whereby the usage of the target language overrules the original phraseology. I have great respect for the NET bible, as the footnotes and translation notes are awe-inspiring, but the same gender-neutralising tinkering as the NRSV disqualifies it from the list. Though it does have the honesty to footnote the original gender-specific word in each case, and reading the introduction to the translation will give a good taster of the intricacies of bible translation technicalities. (Again, the issue of gender-specific language will provoke strong contrasting opinions.)

AFAIK all other bible versions since the 1970s have used dynamic equivalence as their basic translation ethos (though that statement may render me a hostage to contradiction). And what one will tend to get from comparing a biblical passage in different dynamic versions is a growing sense of confusion, as each of the translation teams tries to re-express their understanding of what the author (etc.) meant – and all of them do so in different ways, and in doing so perhaps distort the text to fit in with their theology (see quote para.1 above). Ryken refers to this as ‘destabilisation of the text’.

Amazingly enough, the most literal translation that I have ever read, where the structure of the Greek text is substantially preserved, is Tyndale’s NT of 1534 (this edition). And I don’t find it at all difficult to understand.

I really must stop there. [Smile]

Angus

Edit note: In my post above,

"my Greek/English Interlinear bible with accompanying NIV text"

should read:

"my Greek/English Interlinear NT with accompanying NIV text"

Posted by Janine (# 3337) on :

Below is what I told someone else who recently asked the same question. It's awfully long, so run off to get a snack or something if you'd rather skip it. [Razz]

quote:
The very best Bible translation is the one you will take joy in and read often, and understand easily, without having to look things up too often, without having to wait on the Holy Spirit to zap you with the gift of reading in tongues.

Anything besides you standing there 2,000 years ago, 5 feet away from Jesus of Nazareth, listening to the Aramaic coming out of His mouth, is a translation done by, you can only hope, a group of scholarly but also common-sense people, with loyalties primarily to the truth of what they are translating.

You have two main extremes of translation -- a direct word-for-word, and a "dynamic equivalent". These things can each be useful. A direct word-for-word Greek-to-English translation looks like someone put the Bible in a food processor. The only way to understand that as an English reader is to digest it in chunks. A dynamically-equivalent phrase can make all the difference in the world, improving the understanding of the reader, but if it's not carefully done it's little better than a paraphrase.

For example, in my region we boil and eat crawfish (crayfish crawdads mudbugs, you know). When we have a visitor from Up North we explain to him, "Don't eat the dead ones".

What's that supposed to mean? They've been boiled, right? They're all dead.

A "direct word-for-word" translation won't mean much to an outsider. But, even though the words actually stated literally were "Don't eat the dead ones", a dynamic equivalent sort of translation is needed for full meaning to the outsider. *(Translation below)*

The best we can do is pick out a handful of passages that have deep meaning for us, passages that make us stop and think, passages that make us cry or laugh -- and read those passages in as many translations as you can get your hands on. The one or two translations that make the passage most clear and useful to you -- those are the ones that should be your main daily-use Bibles.

... here (is a Bible search tool)... For broad segments of Scripture and for a long list of Bible translations, I like Studylight. There are about 45 Bible translations and paraphrases available to you in the search bar there.

For example:

Here's Luke 22:36, in the context, in the KJV, with Strong's numbers, so it's really easy to look things up in the Strong's Concordance.

Here is the same verse, Luke 22:36, in context, in The Message. That's not really a translation -- it's a paraphrase, authored by one man.

Don't ever make a paraphrase, or even a translation done under the power of a single man, your only Bible. It is good to trust in the "crabs in a basket" principle. (Yes, another aquatic example. Might as well. I am here Below the Bible Belt in Southeast Louisiana...)

That is, when you have a bushel of live crabs ready to dump into boiling water -- they are of course crawling about in there, trying to get out, every crab for himself. If one should get lucky and begin to escape, the others usually grab him and pull him back down (in their own escape attempts, but to us it looks like on purpose).

Thus the crabs-in-a-basket factor in translations. Some of the best will have input from a group of translators from different backgrounds. The moment one translator puts his own denominational twist on a passage, the others yank him back...

... a... paraphrase (is no good)... when it comes time for deep study. But they are very good for your "reading Bible". That is, when you want to read a few chapters before bedtime, or when you want to read the Bible straight like any really good book, or when you want to read it aloud in large sections for others to hear it, not worrying about chapters and verses and deep word studies -- a good paraphrase cannot be beaten, at a time like that.
*{Translation: "When they are boiled live, their tails curl springily up. Don't eat those few limp, straight-tailed ones. Those died before they were boiled. You will at best get some lower-quality meat, at worst catch a horrible intestinal revolt and die, or wish your could."

In other words:
Don't eat the dead ones.}

quote:
Originally posted by A.Pilgrim:
To try desperately to bring this post back on topic, I would reckon that a bible version for in-depth study, using commentaries and maybe venturing into the Hebrew and Greek texts, would best be an essentially literal version...

I have great respect for the NET bible, as the footnotes and translation notes are awe-inspiring, but the same gender-neutralising tinkering as the NRSV disqualifies it from the list.

Angus, there is a lot of thoughtful insight in your post. I would like to just take issue with the quoted part above.

ISTM that one of the exciting things about the NET Bible is that it presents a powerful argument against formal equivalence as an ideal of translation. The reality is that the NET Bible is quite substantially over to the dynamic equivalence end of the spectrum in its translation. But the point they seem to be making is that the formal equivalence/dynamic equivalence continuum is just not very useful in understanding scripture.

By my lights, the NET Bible is dedicated to making the nuances of meaning in scripture as plain as possible in English. They do it by discussing in detail the nuances of the original language. The translation itself is just the starting point for understanding the text. Beyond that, there are word plays, variations on root meanings of words as the pericope is developed, etc. that are essential to understanding the original text -- and are virtualy untranslatable. The nuances can be explained, but not adequately captured in a translation. Hence, the NET Bible is the translation-plus-notes that unpack the scriptures.

That is the point of the thousands of translation notes -- to unveil the text as it was intended. By abandoning the ideal of a literal rendering and embracing the notion of documenting the literal sense of the text, they have shown a very sensible way forward in presenting the richness of scripture in a translated tongue. Formal equivalence simply can't provide any better understanding of the original text than its more dynamic equivalent alternatives.

--Tom Clune

That all sounds wonderful, Tom, but what's their slant? Once you start interpreting the Bible, you're doing it from a point of view: Catholic, Orthodox, Pentecostal, Lutheran, whatever. Unless they try to present all of these together?

quote:
That all sounds wonderful, Tom, but what's their slant? Once you start interpreting the Bible, you're doing it from a point of view: Catholic, Orthodox, Pentecostal, Lutheran, whatever. Unless they try to present all of these together?

The translation team is from the Dallas Theological Seminary, which is really right-wing Protestant. But I have not been oppressed by their theological slant. The notes come in three flavors: sn, tn, and tc. "Sn" are "study notes," and are theological slants. They will argue that a given passage is about penal substitution, for example. They are the obviously slanted notes, and I usually just skip over them. "Tn" are translation notes, and they discuss such things as nuances of meaning of key words in the original language. "Tc" are notes about textual criticism -- what different textual sources say and why they chose to use the source they did.

All-in-all, the approach makes for quite a pleasing unlocking of the scriptures, with the main points of ideological input clearly marked as such. I would be delighted if this ends up being the prototype for a whole new approach to translation. It is a very useful mode of presentation. However, because the notes are almost entirely devoted to textual issues, you do still need a traditional study Bible or commentary to provide the historical context, etc., for the scriptures.

--Tom Clune

In response to Janine’s quoted text:

quote:
The very best Bible translation is the one you will take joy in and read often, and understand easily, without having to look things up too often, ...
There is certainly a great demand for ‘easy to understand’ versions of the Bible, which is why the dynamic equivalence versions proliferate. However, if the source text of the translation wasn’t easy to understand, even by someone expert in the source language, and to understand it required considerable background knowledge and study, then to render it as an easy-to-understand translation is IMO to misrepresent the source text. To render an obscure source text simple requires the insertion of explanation and commentarial interpolations, which may then be assumed to be of equal status to the source text, or it may require the resolution of an ambiguity by the translation team imposing their own theological view.

The problem with doing this in translations of the Bible is that the many people who believe it to be the inspired Word of God may infer things from the editorial insertions of a translator that may have no basis in the source text – there is after all, no indication in the translation of which words have been inserted. (Unlike the KJV where the added words were italicised.) If these inferences are then applied with the full force and authority of ‘The Word of God’ to establish doctrine and practice, people can be mis-led and abused. This is a consequence that makes me very suspicious of ‘easy-to-understand’ translations.

And maybe God didn’t intend His word to be easy to understand. Maybe He didn’t intend to spoon-feed people, but expected them to wrestle with and chew over what He wanted to communicate. Maybe that’s why He gave teachers to the church (1Cor.12:28), and didn’t expect His people to be isolated individual readers, but be part of a body (most of 1Cor.12).

quote:
You have two main extremes of translation -- a direct word-for-word, and a "dynamic equivalent". These things can each be useful. A direct word-for-word Greek-to-English translation looks like someone put the Bible in a food processor.
One of the common fallacies used to disparage ‘essentially literal’ translations is that they are ‘word for word’ and look ‘like someone put the Bible in a food processor’. IIRC (I can’t find my copy ATM) Fee and Stuart in their book How to read the Bible for all it’s worth also promote this attitude. (They are enthusiasts for dynamic equivalence and don’t even mention the ESV in their latest edition.) Leland Ryken addresses this fallacy in his book (referred in my previous post but one).

quote:
Angus, there is a lot of thoughtful insight in your post. I would like to just take issue with the quoted part above. ...

Tom, thanks for the compliment. [Smile] I’ve read your response about the NET bible, and I do take on board the points that you’ve made. I’ll integrate them into my understanding of bible translations. Prov 27:17

Angus

Posted by IngoB (# 8700) on :

For those still interested, in October the HCSB study bible will be published. I quite like the translation from what I've read so far (not that much). But the study bible looks rather brilliant, here is a video explaining its features, and here is a 16 page PDF excerpt (yes, the study bible will be in full color throughout).

A lot less flash, but more Catholic (the HCSB is mostly from the Baptist tradition, I understand), is the Ignatius Study Bible. The translation is the RSV (2nd Catholic Edition), and notes are by Scott Hahn and Curtis Mitch. The entire New Testament is now available as one book, previously each bible book had to be bought separately. At the link above you can also download 4 sample PDF pages. The same authors are apparently now working through the OT book by book again, here is Genesis. Eventually I guess Ignatius will publish a complete study bible based on this material. Of course, the Navarre Bible is already available as complete Catholic study bible (RSC 1st CE, plus New Latin Vulgate). Perhaps it is of interest again that the New Testament is available as one book. At the link you can also find 8 PDF pages as sample. Again, I expect that eventually they will do the whole bible (and they have the material to do it already, I assume commercial questions are the problem).

All in all, the Protestant study bibles are really in a different league currently as far as the presentation goes. I would love it if the major "conservative" ones like ESV or perhaps now HCSB would spawn a Catholic version with the same production quality but adapted content (translation, notes, and of course the "extra" books would need to be done).

Posted by Via Media (# 16087) on :

I use three, all of them great and not-so-great for different reasons...

The New Oxford Annotated Bible (2nd edition with the RSV & 3rd edition with the NRSV, both including the Apocrypha). Very scholarly; the academic standard, it seems. Historical-critical to the max; definitely tips the boat toward the liberal side. A 4th edition, again with the NRSV, has recently been released.

The MacArthur Study Bible (NKJV). A 180 from the NOAB (above). Very conservative, perhaps with a fundamentalist flavour; Calvinistic, Baptistic, moderately Dispensationalist. This is a one man job, so you kinda really have to like ol' Johnny Mac to dig this.

The ESV Study Bible. Kind of represents a mean between the 'extremes' of the NOAB and the MSB (above). A conservative, evangelical, moderately Reformed scholarly study Bible, headed by the British-Canadian Anglican theologian J.I. Packer. The load of essays at the back, which could be packaged and sold as a book unto itself (and, knowing Crossway Books, probably will be) are a real draw.

Posted by Hilda of Whitby (# 7341) on :

Several years ago when I was looking for a Bible for myself, I asked a colleague's husband, who is the director of a library at an RC theological seminary, for his recommendation. What I wanted was a Bible that had scholarly apparatus with serious chops, more liberal than conservative, but without gender-neutral language (I'm quite liberal theologically but I have not found a gender-neutral Bible whose language scanned well for me). Absolutely no paraphrases or language aimed at elementary school children.

He suggested the New Oxford Annotated Bible with Apocrypha, RSV, 2nd edition. It is just what I wanted. The language is beautiful, the scholarly apparatus is really interesting and the Bible itself is lovely--very nice leather, gilt-edged pages. No illustrations except maps, which is fine as far as I'm concerned. I have the Complete Bible Handbook which has color illustrations galore. I consult this frequently when I am reading my Bible.

It has been really interesting reading this thread and checking out the other Bibles that have been mentioned. There are so many different translations out there; I think pretty much anyone could find one that is the right 'fit'.

Posted by Adeodatus (# 4992) on :

May I ask a sub-question? (Hosts please tell me to start a new thread if you think I should.)

Can anyone recommend a good Bible for my newly-acquired Amazon Kindle? I've a fairly strong preference for one with the Deuterocanon/Apocrypha, and as far as I can see by searching the amazon website so far, that narrows it down to either the Douay-Rheims or the RSV.

(Note: I don't think UK Kindle users can buy books from amazon.com - only from amazon.co.uk. But I could be wrong about that - I'm very new to it all.)

Posted by Nenuphar (# 16057) on :

Presumably you have looked through the bibles on Amazon.uk? I have bought the Ignatius study bible (RSV) which is a good study bible (if you don't mind catholic notes!) but unfortunately so far it is only the NT. I believe the authors will publish the books of the OT as they annotate them, and then the entire bible, but obviously this is a long term project. There is also an NRSV as well as the RSV or the D-R, or if there is another translation you prefer, you can buy the deuterocanoicals alone for your Kindle. I haven't tried to buy from Amazon.com since transferring my account to the uk store, but I should think it's worth a try if the version you prefer is only available there. Hope this is of some help to you.

Posted by Adeodatus (# 4992) on :

Thanks, Nenuphar. In the end I've gone for this, the Ignatius Bible, which doesn't claim to be a "study" Bible but does contain extensive doctrinal and exegetical notes.

I wanted a Bible for my Kindle mainly because I'm at a Certain Age, where small print (espceially on thin paper, where you can see the print on the other side too) tires my eyes after a while. The Kindle allows you to change print size to suit yourself. But in only a couple of days since I bought this, I've also found the notes system very useful - there's nothing distracting on the "page", but a click takes you to the note on a separate "page" - and if I want to use it for my daily prayer readings, it takes only a minute to set up the "bookmarks" and then it's easier to use than a paper Bible. It's also a lot lighter!

(The only thing I've found that doesn't work well on it is the text-to-voice function, where the Kindle reads aloud to you. The problem is, the voice also reads the verse and chapter numbers, making it virtually unintelligible!)

Posted by Nenuphar (# 16057) on :

I hadn't tried the text-to-voice function until I read your post, then I tried the beginning of Matthew. I preferred the male voice to the female one, but I see the reading of the verse numbers etc. would be a bit disconcerting if you didn't know it was going to happen. "He" read the asterisks and the letters for footnotes too, but I must say that for a computer, I thought "he" managed the names quite well.

Posted by TurquoiseTastic (# 8978) on :

I have just this very now returned from an excellent talk by Fr. Nicholas King, who has recently produced a translation of the NT - has anyone come across it or used it?

Posted by crynwrcymraeg (# 13018) on :

quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseTastic:
I have just this very now returned from an excellent talk by Fr. Nicholas King, who has recently produced a translation of the NT - has anyone come across it or used it?

I had not heard of this. Do you know where it is available I wonder , please ?

Thanks.

I have got a copy, a shipmate recommended it, can't remember who.

It is a personal (as opposed to a committee translation) and if I recall correctly why I bought it, it is the one translation that takes the authors writing style into consideration in translating rather than using a translation determined style of language. I maybe wrong. I have not had the chance to use it very much since I got it as I have been busy elsewhere.

Jengie

Thanks very much JJ.

Must try and see if i can Goodle it. Not quite what it is called though.

It is called "The New Testament: Freshly translated by Nicholas King" ISBN 1-84417-324-0 and the publisher is Kevin Mayhew.

Jengie

quote:
It is called "The New Testament: Freshly translated by Nicholas King" ISBN 1-84417-324-0 and the publisher is Kevin Mayhew.

Jengie

Thanks very much -appreciated.

Posted by Ramarius (# 16551) on :

quote:

What's the most widely read version amongst Orthodox? I'm curious.....

Posted by agingjb (# 16555) on :

Looking at my shelves I see, with the Authorised Version (KJV), the New English Bible (the New testament of 1961 and the complete Bible of 1970. I also have the Moffatt and Phillips translations of the New Testament,

(I have also a parallel text presentation of the Synoptic Gospels, and the various readings and the Psalms in the Book of Common Prayer).

I notice that, from the thread, that apart from the Authorised Version none of these are specifically recommended (and I don't know enough to add them to the lists).

I'm a resolute collector of scriptures, in the very widest sense, (the Koran, the Book of Mormon, Buddhist texts, the Tao Te Ching, the Analects of Confucius, the Bhagavad Gita, Quaker Faith and Practice, the Meditations of Marcus Aurelius) - that's a sense so wide as to encompass so much that it's barely a defineable class of books.

It's certainly becoming apparent that there are well loved and valuable translations of the Bible that I would do well to add to my shelves (and read), so I'll keep reading the thread.

Well the request was originally for a good study bible.

The KJV is the KJV which was translated 450 years ago and while an absolute marvel for its time, therefore pays no attention to modern biblical scholarship.

Moffat and Philips are personal translations and for study purposes it is usual to prefer a committee with several Bible scholars arguing for a standard text. Same reason that I would not use The Message as a study bible.

The New English Bible is an interesting historical artefact. The literalness of the English used makes the text very clunky and the Old Testament version is idiosyncratic because of the senior translators expertise in middle eastern languages (more so than you average OT scholar and yes I got this info from an OT scholar). There is an update to it called the Revised English Bible, which was unfortunate in its timing, coming out just before the New Revised Standard Version, but is held to be a decent translation.

All the bibles on your shelf were translated prior to inclusive language debate as well so expect it to use 'men' in ways that to a modern reader appear quite sexist.

Jengie

[ 12. November 2011, 20:24: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

bump

Posted by stonespring (# 15530) on :

Ok - I'll be the first person asking for Bible version advice for a while, so here's hoping people read this.

I want an annotated study Bible.

I'm a very liberal, downright heretical, several-times excommunicated Roman Catholic. That said, I want to read a Bible that uses formal equivalence and is produced by academic scholars and recognized as a Bible used in academic scholarship whenever an English translation would be used. I would also like a Bible that, while retaining formal equivalence, is still somewhat pleasant to read (ie, the people translating had some sense of how to write well in English, even if they are constrained by formal equivalence).

I don't necessarily want a conservative Bible or a liberal Bible - I want one based on the best and most recent scholarly understanding of what the original text means in English in a formal equivalence way.

That would suggest the Oxford NRSV with Apocrypha with annotations or the Oxford RSV with Apocrypha with annotations. I am not sure which is better based on my criteria. I know about the controversies with gender neutral language in the NRSV and other issues where politics are said to have trumped accuracy. As for the RSV, I think it is odd to use "Thou" only for God, but more importantly, I am concerned that enough decades have passed since its production that it may ahve been superceded by other Bibles in terms of accuracy.

With both of these Bibles, there is the problem for me that they do not have the books in the Catholic order and do not include some of the chapters and verses that are unique to Catholic versions.

I don't know if there is an Oxford NRSV-CE with annotations or Oxford RSV-CE with annotations.

For this reason, I might want to buy another Bible, this one a Catholic edition. What is a solidly scholarly (ie, one that American (that is where I live) college professors would use when providing an English quote from scripture) Catholic Bible translation? What is the most excellent study Bible of this translation?

I have heard of the Ignatius Study Bible (RSV-CE), but I am not sure about the quality of its annotations compared with the Oxford editions above.

There is also the New Jerusalem Bible - but I don't know if I can stand the vocalization of the Tetragrammaton with vowels.

There is also the NAB-RE, the most recent official Catholic Bible for the US. Is there only one set of notes for this or are there study versions with expanded annotations? How does it compare to the other versions. This is closest to what I hear at Mass every Sunday but I do notice some annoying dynamic equivalence moments (although some of them were apparently removed from the Old Testament for the Revised Edition).

Almost all of my Bible reading so far has been from the New American Bible (not the revised edition). The language seems a bit clunky even with the dynamic equivalence that is mixed in with the formal equivalence. It can be hard to read at times, especially in the drier parts of the Old Testament. Maybe this is an issue I would have to deal with in any Bible version.

My observation has been that the RSV and NRSV seem to be more aesthetically pleasing to read than the NAB. I don't have much experience with other translations to know if they are more pleasant to read or not.

So - for the best scholarly study Bible for me regardless of whether it is Catholic or not: should it be Oxford NRSV, Oxford RSV, or something else?

As for the best scholarly Catholic study Bible for me: should it be Ignatius Study Bible (RSV-CE), the NAB-RE, the NJB, or something else? What specific study Bible version should it be?

Has the New Jerusalem come out as a study Bible? Seriously I have the old Jerusalem Bible in the study edition (it was my first study Bible, ever). I have long wondered about updating it for NJB but never seen a study bible.

An alternative is REB Study Bible. This is a UK scholarly committee translation and comes down the NEB route but the language is deliberately easier to read aloud than the NEB.

Jengie

Posted by Hart (# 4991) on :

quote:
Originally posted by stonespring:
(ie, one that American (that is where I live) college professors would use when providing an English quote from scripture) Catholic Bible translation?

In my experience, in my NT classes it was either NRSV or RSV. In OT classes, it was generally NAB, or sometimes JPS. In preaching, it was NAB.

The Catholic Study Bible that Don Senior and John Collins edited really is very good.

quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
quote:
(ie, one that American (that is where I live) college professors would use when providing an English quote from scripture) Catholic Bible translation?

In my experience, in my NT classes it was either NRSV or RSV. In OT classes, it was generally NAB, or sometimes JPS. In preaching, it was NAB.

The Catholic Study Bible that Don Senior and John Collins edited really is very good.

What are your thoughts on NAB-RE vs. NJB and RSV-CE and NRSV-CE? If you are more familiar with the non-Catholic RSV and NRSV, you can comment on those.

My main priority is to have a study Bible, but I also wonder what Bible should be my everyday reading Bible as well. I think it will be one of these versions but not sure which one.

Posted by Arethosemyfeet (# 17047) on :

It's worth mentioning that while the NRSV does insert gender neutral language it always adds a footnote where this has been done to indicate what the the literal translation would be.

NABRE is probably the most up-to-date in terms of integrating new manuscript evidence. I think that overall the NRSV is an improvement over the RSV. Also, from briefly skimming the Ignatius notes, I couldn't recommend them. (Note all the hedges on that statement). Jerusalem is probably the most mellifluous translation out there, but it doesn't meet your standards for formal equivalence. Both NABRE and NRSV would be close enough. You could get them both and switch between them. All translators are traitors (a saying that sounds much better in its original Italian), but between those two, you'll get a pretty good sense of the text.

Posted by Happy Pebble (# 2731) on :

I know the New English Bible is quite out of date at this point, but I can't help feeling a study Bible using that translation would be of value. (The successor REB doesn't do much for me.)

quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
NABRE is probably the most up-to-date in terms of integrating new manuscript evidence. I think that overall the NRSV is an improvement over the RSV. Also, from briefly skimming the Ignatius notes, I couldn't recommend them. (Note all the hedges on that statement). Jerusalem is probably the most mellifluous translation out there, but it doesn't meet your standards for formal equivalence. Both NABRE and NRSV would be close enough. You could get them both and switch between them. All translators are traitors (a saying that sounds much better in its original Italian), but between those two, you'll get a pretty good sense of the text.

I think I might wind up with both the NRSV-CE and the NABRE. I don't know why, at least for the New Testament (since I haven't read the revised Old Testament in the NABRE), I tend to find the language in the NRSV to be a little nicer to read than the language in the NAB (or at least the language in the US RC Lectionary, which isn't exactly the same as that in the NAB). Both seem a little clunky at times, but that could a good thing because it shows their faithfulness to formal equivalence. Maybe that means the NRSV is less accurate? I have heard people complain that the NAB is kind of a compromise between formal and dynamic equivalence, and I have also used criticism that the NAB uses words that might more accurately portray the meaning of a word in Scripture than whatever the traditional KJV word was, but that seem really anachronistic in context. An example in the US RC Lectionary would be calling Barabbas "a revolutionary."

It is interesting that the US Catholics developed a translation that is closer to the original text and takes less poetic liberties than the British/global-English speaking Catholics (I am not sure which translation Canada uses). Why do you suppose that is?

If you want a "literal", formal-equivalence translation in the main stream of English versions, the old RV is a much better bet than RSV. But it reads like a rather clunky updating of AV (because that is what it is)

NRSV remains the version of choice for most academic purposes within that tradition.

quote:
I have heard people complain that the NAB is kind of a compromise between formal and dynamic equivalence,

Pretty much every translation is (except a few). If you want pure formal equivalence, get an interlinear. The translation instructions for the last Greek class I took were "translate into mellifluous English, preserving as much of the structure of the Greek as you can." I think this is actually a pretty good translation philosophy.

It's also worth noting that while preserving the structure of the Greek normally produces decent English, preserving the structure of Hebrew (especially Hebrew poetry) would result in something almost unintelligible. Translations of Hebrew texts use a lot more dynamic equivalence because the forms just don't match up well at all.

© Ship of Fools 2016