Thread: Things I Want To Know, etc. Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=028440

Posted by Yorick (# 12169) on :

[Where's that 'Things I want to Know' thread? That was useful, that was.]

There are five named Admins. The Famous Five. But I noticed that if you do a search in the Directory, selecting Administrator in the Member status box, it throws up 21 results of people who have Administrator status, some of whom are hardly famous at all. No offence.

Is this one of those lifetime honorary titular things, like the President of the USA, wherein one is never an ex-Admin?

Posted by Alan Cresswell (# 31) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

That would be the thread with a title like "things I want to know, but don't need to know". Where that is is probably one of those things you don't need to know [Biased]

[Actually, I think you'll find it in Oblivion]

quote:
There are five named Admins. The Famous Five. But I noticed that if you do a search in the Directory, selecting Administrator in the Member status box, it throws up 21 results of people who have Administrator status, some of whom are hardly famous at all. No offence.

Is this one of those lifetime honorary titular things, like the President of the USA, wherein one is never an ex-Admin?

There are five active Board Admins, who are the primary people dealing directly with the hosts and you lot. Some people who have retired from those positions continue to do important jobs in the background (such as handling the registration process). Of course, the senior officers on the Ship are also admins here. And, we've got a couple of volunteers who handle technical issues and developments. On top of that, former admins who wish to retain their admin status do so, they provide the benefit of their wisdom and experience to the rest of us and step in to help out if needed.

Ah, the Unsung Heroes. Would it be terribly cringemaking to thank them for their efforts? I guess it would.

Thanks, Alan.

BTW, have you ever considered having,'It's probably in Oblivion' as a sig.? [Biased]

Posted by luvanddaisies (# 5761) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:

That would be the thread with a title like "things I want to know, but don't need to know".
why thank you - it's nice to find a thread one started some time in the dim and distant past was useful. [Smile]

[Fixed code]

[ 14. November 2010, 23:02: Message edited by: Spike ]

Two questions.

How do I find the Oblivion board? Usually, it's listed in Recent Visitors, so I use the link there to navigate to it, but when nobody's visited the board recently I can't do this.

Also, how do I code text as superscript? I tried the UBB code [sup]text[/sup] to no avail.

I know, I've been here long enough...

Posted by Drifting Star (# 12799) on :

Like this² ? =
code:
 Like this² ? 

It depends what you want to make super - 1 is 185, 2 is 178, 3 is 179. Beyond that, who knows?

Or you can hold down the alt key and enter 0185, 0178 or 0179 and it will appear like magic.

Oblivion is at http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=70 - just change the number at the end of any forum to 70.

Brilliant. Thanks! [Big Grin]

There's a link to the Oblivion board on the Intro text for Limbo.

If you do a Google search for "special HTML characters" you'll find loads of places that list the various ways you can get superscript numbers and other funky stuff. Then just practice on the UBB practice thread to make sure they actually work here.

Yes, I thought of HTML code, but it's for a sig, so I didn't suppose that would work.

How does one insert a blank character, to work effectively as a space, for example to indent a new line of text?

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

#_nbsp_;

remove underscores

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

quote:
Yes, I thought of HTML code, but it's for a sig, so I didn't suppose that would work.

How does one insert a blank character, to work effectively as a space, for example to indent a new line of text?

I don't know, but we have a dedicated
Technical Support thread for this sort of question. You might also want to try the UBB Practice Thread too as people are often able to answer question. Let's try and keep this thread for the "want to know but don't need to know" type trivia.

Spike
Styx host

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
#_nbsp_;

remove underscores

Much obliged, but it doesn't seem to work.

I'll take it to the UBB practice thread (thanks, Spike).

Hell, my mistake. Replace the # with &. Sorry.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

Something I'd like to know: has the "votive candle" smiley always bounced up and down (and it's just that I haven't noticed it), or has someone given it a new lease of life recently?

[Votive]

Posted by The Rogue (# 2275) on :

It's nodding its head in time to the music!

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

As far as I can remember it's always been animated.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

I think it must be an IE8 quirk. It's always been animated in that the flame has always flickered sideways, but I don't remember the actual candle itself jumping up and down as well - and it isn't doing this in Opera.

quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
It's nodding its head in time to the music!

It looks more like it's jumping up and down to the Hallelujah Chorus.

I'm using Firefox for Linux and it's not jumping, just the flame.

It's not doing it in XP Pro and Firefox, and I checked XP Pro and IE8 (shudder) - just the usual flicker.

Posted by mrs whibley (# 4798) on :

A the top left-hand corner of each thread it says "Source (consider it)". I've only just noticed this - has it always been there? And if not, is someone in the know considering whatever it is?

Admins have the ability to change some bits of text that appear in various places in the software. New admins face a considerable temptation to play with the fancy buttons they find at their disposal.

Thanks Alan - I think I see. With great power comes great responsibility!

[ 09. December 2010, 21:05: Message edited by: mrs whibley ]

Or maybe 'With great power comes great opportunity'.

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

There used to be a box at board home saying "currently ringing alarm bells" or "welcome to" or some such, with the name of the newest member. That seems to have disappeared. Or has nobody joined lately? [Paranoid]

Posted by PeteC (# 10422) on :

It's on the Directory search page.

I'm sure there was something announcing new members on the Board Home page too, previously.

Not for over 5 years anyway.

Posted by Jenny Ann (# 3131) on :

no - I'm with Eutycus on this one - sure it was there until quite recently.

I think it said "welcome aboard XXX"

I'm with Euty and Jenny Ann. I'm sure I've seen it on the home page in the last few weeks, but in any case I spotted a friend joining via that box in June, and I rarely go to the Directory search page.

Posted by Gracious rebel (# 3523) on :

Yes it was definitely there until a week or two ago. I looked it up on the Internet Archive and the most recent old page was from 2008 (see here) and it shows up there (the text says 'Newbie alert for xxxxx'). OK that wasn't VERY recent, but certainly less than 5 years ago!

[ 15. December 2010, 08:48: Message edited by: Gracious rebel ]

Yes - that's what I've seen recently rather than the full box that's on the Directory page.

Posted by Ags (# 204) on :

It was there until a couple of days ago. If memory serves, it disappears when the PTB have a little clearout and delete a registration e.g. a sock or spammer. It should appear again when the next new apprentice signs up. (I think!)

Well that goes to show you I seldom go to the Ship's home page then. [Hot and Hormonal]

I found a cached version of the 'board home' page with it on from Dec. 8 and would have posted it here before all you lot but my computer has since developed a mind of its own requiring external surgery. [Mad]

Posted by Niteowl2 (# 15841) on :

It appears the Newbie Alert is back. We have a new member named Bigfish.

<rushes to grab cached version of board home without newbie alert...>

Posted by Sylvander (# 12857) on :

Is this the place to ask whether it is somewhere possible to see a list of all shipmates with a particular avatar?
I took a fancy to look who else had picked the same as I have.

Posted by RooK (# 1852) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sylvander:
Is this the place to ask whether it is somewhere possible to see a list of all shipmates with a particular avatar?
I took a fancy to look who else had picked the same as I have.

Yes: No.
Sorry.

Thank you.

I notice sometimes a post starting a new page in a thread sounds like the poster had known beforehand that his post would turn a new page.

Is it possible to somewhere see that my post will be the one to start a new page? (Or are the ones which I saw achieved by using the "edit" button?)

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Post number 50, 100, 150 & etc are at the top of the page. You can see by the bar at the bottom of the page of your browser if you hold the mouse over the little page icon what post number you're on.

Posted by daisydaisy (# 12167) on :

If you are using firefox you might need to hover your mouse over the square blob between the poster's name and the date of posting - the last bit of information shown on the bottom of your browser window contains the post number.

Posted by monkeylizard (# 952) on :

Yep. That square blob is the page icon.

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

I can't find the Post Count Landmarks thread; I'm sure I'm just exceeding my usual levels of stupidity, but has it moved/had its title changed for the new year?

Posted by Gracious rebel (# 3523) on :

I think this must be it! (and congrats for reaching 4000!)

[ 10. January 2011, 18:52: Message edited by: Gracious rebel ]

quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
If you are using firefox you might need to hover your mouse over the square blob between the poster's name and the date of posting - the last bit of information shown on the bottom of your browser window contains the post number.

Pedantic aside - that's actually the reply number since the opening post in each thread is 000000.

Thanks folks!
Never in a zillion years would I have figured that out by myself.

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
I think this must be it! (and congrats for reaching 4000!)

Thank you on both counts. [Smile]

Next post flips the page.
Wanna bet?

Yay!!
[Yipee]

[wrong smiley]

[ 12. January 2011, 08:31: Message edited by: Sylvander ]

Posted by St. Stephen the Stoned (# 9841) on :

Hi Yorick.

What does your sig. P(Troll) = 0.7¹
¹Erin (SoF, 2010) mean?

(If Yorick's not around, can anyone else elucidate?)

Or maybe you could send him a PM. This thread is for "Ship stuff" rather than info on individual members

Spike
Styx host

Can't... resist... flaunting... geekiness...

P(function) refers to probability.
A probability of 0.7 is the same as saying 70%
A superscript annotation usually denotes source.
The denoted source in this instance seems to be Erin (presumably in 2010).

Thus, I think it is meant to be read as a playful remembrance of Erin saying that she suspected a 70% probability that Yorick was a troll in 2010.

Gah. That wasn't worth it. Next time go with Spike's advice.

Posted by Ags (# 204) on :

I dunno. Was quite interesting actually.
RooK - your new colours are beautiful.

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

I'm sure there was a thread of abbreviations etc - where did it go to? Perhaps it should be pointed out to newbies who wonder what on earth phrases like ITTWACW are about.

Posted by Tubbs (# 440) on :

quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
I'm sure there was a thread of abbreviations etc - where did it go to? Perhaps it should be pointed out to newbies who wonder what on earth phrases like ITTWACW are about.

It was on page 2.

Tubbs

quote:
Originally posted by Ags:

Yes, I think he's a Soft Autumn.

Posted by itokro (# 16135) on :

While trying to run a search, I noticed several unfamiliar names under the "Search board:" option, including the rather intriguing-sounding "Ghost board" and something called "IN Crowd". I probably don't need to know what these boards are/were or why they don't appear on the main boards page, but I am curious. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Posted by Gwai (# 11076) on :

Itokoro, re the boards you noticed, basically they are boards that were once the main page but are now closed.

Are there any links to them still floating around (e.g. in the way there are links to Oblivion and The Nativity Play even though they're not listed from the board's homepage)? Or have they been expunged entirely? Do I ask too many questions? Can I blame terminal curiosity? Would it kill me if I were a cat?

ETA: Oh, and thanks for the answer, Gwai.

[ 13. January 2011, 01:09: Message edited by: itokro ]

quote:
Originally posted by mrs whibley:
quote:
Originally posted by Ags:

Yes, I think he's a Soft Autumn.
It is lovely, isn't it. It's based on the fabulous painting by Betsy Gray Bell called Maple Leaf II. I hope to have a print of it ordered shortly.

quote:
Originally posted by itokro:
Are there any links to them still floating around (e.g. in the way there are links to Oblivion and The Nativity Play even though they're not listed from the board's homepage)?

The links are secret. Don't even ask.

Posted by St. Stephen the Stoned (# 9841) on :

Thank you for your geekiness, RooK. And I love your new colour-scheme too.

(Discovers sneakily hidden secret links in RooK's post and follows them. I'm a genius, I swear.)

Ah, so if I change the number at the end of the web address, I get a different board...

(Plays with this for a while)

Conclusion from my wanderings: the Ship is an even stranger plcae than I thought. I like this.

Congrats. Most people take years to figure out they can change the board number in the URL.

Posted by Qoheleth. (# 9265) on :

A question about PMs, please:

If I delete an unread PM from my "sent" folder in order to release space, can the recipient still see it in their "incoming" folder and reply days or weeks later?

Thanks,
Q.

I still have a few PMs in my inbox dating back to 2001 and 2002. I'm guessing the senders may well have deleted the originals from their outbox.

OK, thanks to the ingenuity of another shipmate who read this thread, consequently sent me a PM and immediately deleted the original from her outbox, I can now give the definitive answer that yes, you can reply to PMs after the sender has deleted the original. Not only that, but the original sender can also respond to your reply.

Bloody hell, I can't believe I'm sitting here at 23.19 trying this. I hope you appreciate what your Admins do for you! [Big Grin]

Posted by lily pad (# 11456) on :

Ingenuity? And here I was thinking I must have lots of time on my hands.

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

quote:
(Discovers sneakily hidden secret links in RooK's post and follows them. I'm a genius, I swear.)

Ah, so if I change the number at the end of the web address, I get a different board...

(Plays with this for a while)

Conclusion from my wanderings: the Ship is an even stranger place than I thought. I like this.

But Mr Nobody is sneaky. He hosts boards but does not post. I find this chilling. [Paranoid] I shall see my therapist and send Simon the bill.

Posted by BroJames (# 9636) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
[QUOTE]But Mr Nobody is sneaky. He hosts boards but does not post. I find this chilling. [Paranoid] I shall see my therapist and send Simon the bill.

You can try - but I think I know who Simon will pass it on to.

Posted by Qoheleth. (# 9265) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
OK, thanks to the ingenuity of another shipmate who read this thread, consequently sent me a PM and immediately deleted the original from her outbox, I can now give the definitive answer that yes, you can reply to PMs after the sender has deleted the original. Not only that, but the original sender can also respond to your reply.

Bloody hell, I can't believe I'm sitting here at 23.19 trying this. I hope you appreciate what your Admins do for you! [Big Grin]

We do, we do! <adds Spike to chocolate list>

If I had that ingenuity, I could have tried for myself!

Thanks, both.

Posted by AristonAstuanax (# 10894) on :

Okay, hosts and PM's—what exactly do they see, if anything? Is there, say, a control panel that shows a list of PM titles and sender/recipient? Do they have to check on what a specific person sent or received in order to know what's going on? Or is there something entirely different that I don't know about?

To put it another way: how easy would it be for Imaginary Friend to see who's been sending messages to whom during games of Mafia—or, since I generally suspect him of honesty, to avoid seeing this?

Posted by comet (# 10353) on :

quote:
Originally posted by AristonAstuanax:
Okay, hosts and PM's—what exactly do they see, if anything? Is there, say, a control panel that shows a list of PM titles and sender/recipient? Do they have to check on what a specific person sent or received in order to know what's going on? Or is there something entirely different that I don't know about?

To put it another way: how easy would it be for Imaginary Friend to see who's been sending messages to whom during games of Mafia—or, since I generally suspect him of honesty, to avoid seeing this?

if I ever had access to that as a host, I didn't know it.

There is no "master list" of PMs.

If someone has the option to receive email notifications of PMs, but the emails bounce (including if you put on an automated "I'm away" message that returns the incoming email) then they end up in the admins inbox.

If someone reports a serious abuse of the PM system then we can access individual accounts to read the PMs concerned and make a judgement based on that. It's a bit of a hassle, and would be with the permission of the person making the complaint (as long as the PM wasn't deleted we don't need to see the copy held by the accused).

[ETA: 'we' in the above refers to the admins. The hosts don't have access to the admin email, nor the necessary access to the Control Panel to access individual user accounts]

[ 25. February 2011, 06:29: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

Posted by Duo Seraphim (# 256) on :

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
if I ever had access to that as a host, I didn't know it.

... but in my more paranoid moments as a host I sometimes wished I could see PM titles. About me naturally. Doesn't do to be too nosy.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

quote:

or, since I generally suspect him of honesty,

What an unconscionably rude thing to say!

With all the drivel* hosts are obligated to read, why on earth would they seek out more?

*Yes, I am including myself. And no, I am not including you, AA. Not in particular.

Posted by AristonAstuanax (# 10894) on :

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

or, since I generally suspect him of honesty,

What an unconscionably rude thing to say!

With all the drivel* hosts are obligated to read, why on earth would they seek out more?

You can never rule out masochism—after all, he did accept the host gig in the first place . . .

Think-squared

What is your avatar a representation of (if anything)? I find it very disturbing! Not sure what Malin's is either, but at least it seems cuddly.

Posted by Jabber (# 9668) on :

quote:
Originally posted by mrs whibley:
Think-squared

What is your avatar a representation of (if anything)? I find it very disturbing!

I think it's a gargoyle, but would love to know where from (if anywhere)

Posted by Jengie Jon (# 273) on :

I knew this once but have forgotten however I think you need to think British Cars rather than gargoyles.

Jengie

Can I respectfully refer shipmates to the post I made earlier in this thread

Thankyou

Spike
Styx Host

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

This question definitely belongs in the "Things I'd Like To Know, But I Really Don't Have Any Right To" category, or however this thread was originally called.

How are the Private Boards doing?

I'm not asking for detailed reports on what's being discussed there, but I'd be curious to have some general idea: Are they still alive, thriving and well? Or have they withered away after a first few months of frantic discussion?

In any case, I hope that they are still serving the purpose that the Ship set up this possibility for originally.

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
This question definitely belongs in the "Things I'd Like To Know, But I Really Don't Have Any Right To" category, or however this thread was originally called.

How are the Private Boards doing?

I'm not asking for detailed reports on what's being discussed there, but I'd be curious to have some general idea: Are they still alive, thriving and well? Or have they withered away after a first few months of frantic discussion?

In any case, I hope that they are still serving the purpose that the Ship set up this possibility for originally.

Seem to be doing fine. The private boards share a server with the Ship, but are pretty seperate. A complete list of all the ones that currently exist, along with who to contact if you want to join one is here.

Tubbs

quote:
Tubbs: Seem to be doing fine.
Thanks, I'm glad to hear this.

Posted by passer (# 13329) on :

So the Glory board has gone from nine hidden threads to ten. Is something brewing?

Posted by Nicolemrw (# 28) on :

Passer, you can see all the threads on Glory if you set the setting to "all threads" instead of the default "treads from the last 90 days".

quote:
Originally posted by passer:
So the Glory board has gone from nine hidden threads to ten. Is something brewing?

Nope, but I did move Miss Molly's Vigil thread into Glory.

Tubbs

quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemrw:
Passer, you can see all the threads on Glory if you set the setting to "all threads" instead of the default "treads from the last 90 days".

Thank you!

And how nice to see the Miss Molly threads readily accessible.

(This has buggered up several of my Ship bookmarks, of course!)

Who does the Born Twice stuff? It's hilarious.

Posted by BroJames (# 9636) on :

Can anyone explain the weirdness on Purg ATM. The "{The founding of the state of Israel 1948" thread is at the top of the list. Purg as a whole is showing no new posts since my last visit, and the top thread is showing a last post time (for ken's post) of 02.12. But there are threads below it with later last post times (e.g. "By their fruits" at 18.22 on the same date). Has the "The founding of the state of Israel 1948" been fixed as a sticky? It is not showing as such.

[ 19. June 2011, 18:24: Message edited by: BroJames ]

I think that happens when someone makes a post and then deletes it. The thread has been promoted to the head of the list, and stays there even though the post that put it there no longer exists.

Drifting Star is correct.

Posted by Duo Seraphim (# 256) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
quote:

Nope, but I did move Miss Molly's Vigil thread into Glory.

Tubbs

Bless you! That was a sad but beautiful time.

Posted by jackanapes (# 12374) on :

quote:
Who does the Born Twice stuff? It's hilarious.

I do. No, hold on a minute, it's someone else who just happens to look like me.

Posted by A.Pilgrim (# 15044) on :

What happened to the threads in the Chapter & Worse forum? They aren't in Limbo, and Oblivion is too big to browse through. There were some interesting discussions on the verses suggested, and I think it would be a pity if they just disappeared. Thanks, Angus

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by A.Pilgrim:
What happened to the threads in the Chapter & Worse forum? They aren't in Limbo, and Oblivion is too big to browse through. There were some interesting discussions on the verses suggested, and I think it would be a pity if they just disappeared. Thanks, Angus

Chapter & Worse

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
quote:
Are there any links to them still floating around (e.g. in the way there are links to Oblivion and The Nativity Play even though they're not listed from the board's homepage)?

The links are secret. Don't even ask.
I've been looking for stuff from the TnT board, but can't find it using search, or in Limbo, and I can't find the board by playing with the number at the end of the URL [Frown] Anyone got a link, or links to archived threads? I'm about to give up. - Thanks in advance [Smile]

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

There are four T&T threads on the penultimate page of Oblivion.

quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
I've been looking for stuff from the TnT board, but can't find it using search, or in Limbo, and I can't find the board by playing with the number at the end of the URL [Frown] Anyone got a link, or links to archived threads? I'm about to give up. - Thanks in advance [Smile]

The board no longer exists, even in hidden form. I can only assume it was deleted to create space for other boards.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

Is the Ungodly Fear board accessible?

Moo

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:

The board no longer exists, even in hidden form. I can only assume it was deleted to create space for other boards.
Ah - I wondered - I was sure I'd found it by twiddling numbers at the end of the URL before, but had concluded I was imagining that!

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:

Moo

It doesn't look like it.

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:

Moo

It doesn't look like it.
Happened before we moved onto this board software IIRC. There used to be some material on the main site, but I've literally just found out, "Our archive pages, with material going back (gulp) 10 years, are currently offline, but will be available as soon as we've finished cataloging them".

Tubbs

Posted by jlg (# 98) on :

That explains all the scrabbling and squeaking noises I heard earlier today. I thought it was mice in the walls, but now understand it was the Admins scrambling to be first with their explanations of why they would be unable to help with this project.

Personally, I nominate RooK.

Well volunteered, Rook [Overused] (I saw him volunteering, jlg).

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

That Simon hasn't made the material available to them and asked them for help in cataloging it is the reason I'd give if I were an admin.

IIRC, it was available at one time since we got these boards.

Moo

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
That Simon hasn't made the material available to them and asked them for help in cataloging it is the reason I'd give if I were an admin.

What she said [Big Grin]

Tubbs

Posted by jlg (# 98) on :

In that case, I'm off to buy more mousetraps. Seems the Archive Project has yet to be seen in Real Life and probably won't be.

Unlike Mouse #3, who was clearly sighted last night and is now doomed.

Posted by Pyx_e (# 57) on :

Is there any sensible way to change the colour of the page? I find the white very bright, too the point, late at night, where it hurts my eyes. No biggy but if I am missing a simple trick someone tell me please.

TY

Pyx_e

you can turn down the brightness on your monitor. that's what I do.

Posted by Louise (# 30) on :

Another indirect approach -there's this really useful piece of software which I use that changes the blue/red light component in the screen display depending on the time of day - a big help at night. That takes a lot of the harsh edge off the white.

F.lux

cheers,
L.

Posted by no_prophet (# 15560) on :

Depending on your browser, you can set your colour preferences to override the page display settings. For example, in Firefox, if you go to preferences (it is under 'edit' in the Linux version, I think perhaps under 'tools' in the Windows version, you can go to the 'fonts and colors' segment under 'content' select fonts and colors, change to what you like and ensure you tick the 'override' box, and there you go. Just did it in FF and have white text on black background.

Some browsers don't have such a colour preference, and you might want to check out some others if your's doesn't. I have only Iron which doesn't (non-tracking version of google chromium) and FF on this throw away netbook, so perhaps others can advice if you are using something different. I seem to recall Opera had this preference and I would never advise anyone to use Infernal Exploder

Posted by Pyx_e (# 57) on :

Thank you.

P

Posted by Patdys (# 9397) on :

I have no posts in 'recent history' between 29th August 2010 and 11th April 2011. With this post, the gap will no longer be visible. I have not had shore time and despite a low post production I am just wondering about a glitch in the counting software?

Or is this the fourth alternate reality I have now been in. [Paranoid] .

You don't remember that little green spaceship and the probes?

That mission was a success, then

Posted by Patdys (# 9397) on :

Dear God, you are in cohoots with Marvin- I should have realized, eh.

Posted by QLib (# 43) on :

So God is an astronaut? And in cahoots with Pete and Marvin? Yeah... that explains a lot.

Posted by Padre Joshua (# 13100) on :

How did the rule concerning the length of sigs come about, and why isn't it part of the 10Cs? When someone gets asked to shorten a sig (I think Jengie Jon pointed out my four-liner once), who's to stop them saying "I don't see it written down anywhere. Make me! [Razz] " or some variation on that theme?

Not questioning the rule, mind you... just wondering, is all.

quote:
Originally posted by Padre Joshua:
How did the rule concerning the length of sigs come about, and why isn't it part of the 10Cs? When someone gets asked to shorten a sig (I think Jengie Jon pointed out my four-liner once), who's to stop them saying "I don't see it written down anywhere. Make me! [Razz] " or some variation on that theme?

It was perhaps Erin's whim.

I find myself in agreement, and with a will to make it so - should the making be necessary.

The 10Cs are designed as broad statements giving the hosts and admins the necessary freedom to do what's needed to keep the boards functioning and guide people so they know what's expected. They aren't a book of legal rules containing everything.

Most little things are in the FAQs or somewhere specifically relevant. In the case of sig length, you'll find it clearly stated on the edit profile page. Next to the box for your signature it says:
quote:
Signatures appear at the bottom of your posts. You can use UBB code in your signature, but not HTML. Please limit your signature to no more than four lines. Long signatures make the Baby Jesus cry. Images are OFF.
(emphasis mine).

Posted by Vulpior (# 12744) on :

When I was last editing my signature I kept to the line limit, but I discovered that there is also a character limit enforced by the system. It might be useful to mention that in the guidance text, for other verbose people.

Your sig is 5 lines, Vulpior. Just sayin'.

quote:
Originally posted by Vulpior:
When I was last editing my signature I kept to the line limit, but I discovered that there is also a character limit enforced by the system. It might be useful to mention that in the guidance text, for other verbose people.

I guess most people will find the character limit easily enough if they're sufficiently verbose. I found it when trying to put a list of links to photos into my sig because the URL address counted even though not displayed (tinyURL is great sometimes!).

[ETA: it's four lines viewed here]

[ 23. November 2011, 10:47: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

[crosspost] Looks like 4 to me. Screen resolution issue?

[ 23. November 2011, 10:47: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

Posted by Balaam (# 4543) on :

I doubt that it's screen resolution as it is 4 lines on my netbook.

I think PeteC must be seeing double. Have you been drinking Windolene again Pete? [Big Grin]

Posted by mdijon (# 8520) on :

quote:
I think PeteC must be seeing double.

Well, seeing times 1.2 anyway.

Not Windolene then. Toilet Duck maybe?

A far superior drink.

I have a suspicion that enlarged text for legibility might be playing a role here.

Posted by Dal Segno (# 14673) on :

If I edit a post, then try to edit it a second time, I always get the error message. Are we only allowed a single round of editing on a posted message?

quote:
Originally posted by Dal Segno:
If I edit a post, then try to edit it a second time, I always get the error message. Are we only allowed a single round of editing on a posted message?

In theory you can edit as many times as you like, but the 2 minute window applies from the moment of the initial post being made so it's pretty hard to get multiple edits in.

Test edit 1

Test edit 2 - yep, it's possible. You just need to be really quick [Smile]

[ 06. January 2012, 14:11: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

Posted by Sandemaniac (# 12829) on :

Has heaven been harrowed down to stuff that was running on Jan 1st, or are my settings up the spout? I logged on to add to a thread that was running before Christmas (something heard on the radio), and heaven is down to just over a page of threads.

AG

How very observant of you! [Biased]

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Has heaven been harrowed down to stuff that was running on Jan 1st, or are my settings up the spout?

Time's harrow.

Most topics in Heaven are fairly ephemeral, so the periodic tidy tends to prune to a week/10 days.

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

Question: how soon after a Shipmate dies are their account and 50 Last Posts deleted?

Jen's seemed to disappear awfully quickly.

Thanks!

Posted by Balaam (# 4543) on :

Find a thread that jlg posted on (such as the Phelps thread in Hell page 2) then click on the name at the top above the avatar and you will go to their profile.

http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=recent_user_posts;u=00000098. There you are.

We normally don't delete any accounts. But when they're deactivated they don't show up in the search any more.

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

Thanks. Her profile wasn't coming up; and I and others couldn't bring up her last posts.

I appreciate having her shipmate number. I couldn't look on the main boards for her posts, because of all the posts *about* her. I hadn't yet tried the archives.

**Given that posts are available this backdoor way, would it be possible to just keep a person's profile showable and directory-able? (Without the capacity for PMs or active links in it.)** It would give us more time to get used to someone's absence, rather than having the person AND the profile disappear.

FWIW. Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Given that posts are available this backdoor way, would it be possible to just keep a person's profile showable and directory-able?

I'm afraid not. It's a restriction of the software. I really don't like disbling member accounts when they die, but unfortunately it's a necessity to stop any sickos who may have that user's password getting into the account and posting stuff.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Given that posts are available this backdoor way, would it be possible to just keep a person's profile showable and directory-able?

I'm afraid not. It's a restriction of the software. I really don't like disbling member accounts when they die, but unfortunately it's a necessity to stop any sickos who may have that user's password getting into the account and posting stuff.
If we're told about a member who's died, their details and a link to their profile are added to this thread in Glory.

Tubbs

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Has heaven been harrowed down to stuff that was running on Jan 1st, or are my settings up the spout?

Most topics in Heaven are fairly ephemeral, so the periodic tidy tends to prune to a week/10 days.
Oh, fiddle-de-dee. I really wanted to read that thread about iPads, but it's harrowed. Pleughhh.

quote:
Oh, fiddle-de-dee. I really wanted to read that thread about iPads, but it's harrowed. Pleughhh.

Since it was posted on so recently, it should be in the first pages of Oblivion.

Moo

Page 18, there it is. Thanks, Moo. No trace of it through Search.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

As I understand it, Oblivion has now got too big for search to work.

You can usually find things if you know roughly the date of the last post.

Moo

Yep. It works, just about- especially when there are people around who are willing and kind enough to help with the odd signpost.

Thank you.

Posted by Tree Bee (# 4033) on :

quote:
Page 18, there it is. Thanks, Moo. No trace of it through Search.

Thanks - I've been looking for that thread too.
Convinced myself I'd imagined it.

I was browsing in Oblivion and happened upon a shipmate who changed member number, presumably in the sale/auction which took place in days of yore.

A "last 50 posts" enquiry on the old number shows posts up until 2005, and on the new number shows posts to today.

What I want to know, for no reason other than curiosity, is: Does the "number of posts" count get reset to zero when the new member number is issued, causing the shipmate to return to Apprentice status?

And does the current "number of posts" number equate to an aggregation of both existences, or just the current existence?

If I recall correctly, when we auctioned the member numbers those who got a new number had their post count carried over - but only the number of posts, there was no direct link to their earlier posts (ie: the 50 most recent posts would have been initially an empty list).

Thanks Alan.

Posted by AdamPater (# 4431) on :

Whatever happened to riverfalls? Eaten by alligator?

quote:
Originally posted by AdamPater:
Whatever happened to riverfalls? Eaten by alligator?

Eaten by something. May have been a 'gator, may have been something else.

Tubbs

One of the issues with regard to Martin PC Not's suspension was the requirement to write posts in English, and if not, to provide a translation. Is there anywhere in the Ship's guidance notes that explicitly states this?

I have read through the 10Cs, the FAQs* and the Board Guidelines and not found it in any of those. The only comment relating to this subject that I've found so far is for Kerygmania where Guideline7 reads:
quote:
Feel free to use the original languages in which the Bible was written if you think it will help your argument. But please be aware that it may not! If you do use Greek or Hebrew (or even Aramaic), have pity on those of us who don't read these languages and provide a translation for us.
Here the requirement for a translation is asked more as a favour than as a hard-line requirement. Could I suggest that the language requirement for posts be stated explicitly somewhere? (Unless I've been unobservant and missed it.)

And does it apply to sig lines? I know of at least two shipmates with non-English text sig lines (one of them is in Arabic script as well). Perhaps it would prevent a situation in the future where a dispute arose about an allegation of abuse in a non-English language sig if the requirement for the use of English applied to sigs as well.

Sorry if this produces extra work for the Ship's admins or webmates, but would be a useful clarification. Thanks, Angus [Smile]

*That's the FAQs linked from the second heading line, not the FAQs linked from the lower line which has the options: My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home (Is it confusing to have two different FAQs pages?)

Signatures are your's to play with as you will.

Otherwise this is an English language board, as has been stated again and again and again** in the Styx, here and there*

**ad nauseum
*seriatim

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
Signatures are your's to play with as you will.

Otherwise this is an English language board, as has been stated again and again and again** in the Styx, here and there*

**ad nauseum
*seriatim

ad nauseam [Biased]

You may be inviting an ad defenestratam.

[ 08. October 2012, 13:23: Message edited by: mdijon ]

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
... Otherwise this is an English language board, as has been stated again and again and again** in the Styx, here and there*

**ad nauseum
*seriatim

I'm sorry if I touched a raw nerve - I was genuinely trying to make a helpful suggestion. I wouldn't have thought of looking through threads in The Styx for guidance on acceptable posting, but rather in the 10Cs, guidelines or FAQs, and I guess that newcomers would look in those places as well. However, I shall now back off discreetly with a placatory smile... [Smile]

Posted by St. Punk the Pious (# 683) on :

Posters are using Latin! Ummmmm! I'm gonna tell!

quote:
mdijon: You may be inviting an ad defenestratam.
I just hope he hasn't been predefenestrated yet.

Posted by Carex (# 9643) on :

quote:
Originally posted by A.Pilgrim:
One of the issues with regard to Martin PC Not's suspension was the requirement to write posts in English, and if not, to provide a translation. Is there anywhere in the Ship's guidance notes that explicitly states this?

The reason for this requirement is that the Ship is an English language discussion board. It is difficult to maintain a proper discussion when someone uses a language that is not readily understood by many of the other shipmates. That is why a translation is required when someone uses a language other than English in a post.

Sig lines are not part of the discussion, so are not subject to this requirement.

But I'm afraid I can't help you find where it is explained otherwise.

Posted by Gwai (# 11076) on :

Generally that rule is seen most clarified often when a host reminds someone, I suspect.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
You may be inviting an ad defenestratam.

I feel so lame. I thought that word meant something completely different all this time.

I, erm, caution everyone to refrain from asking what the misconception was...

I thought it was the same sort of thing as "evisceration."

Which-- I had some fool following me around at the time aiming really lurid, graphic, Wolf Creek quality descriptions of bunny-skinning at me at the time I first saw the word-- to be frank, in RooK's title-- and the misunderstood meaning kind of creeped me out. Sorry, RooK. [Big Grin]

I supposed I could have just looked it up...

[ 10. October 2012, 23:07: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

[Jayne Cobb voice] It's my very favourite word. [/Jayne Cobb voice]

.. and under my new enlightenment, I take back that comment I made long ago about it "not fitting you." It SO TOTALLY fits you. [Big Grin]

Posted by no prophet (# 15560) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Carex:
The reason for this requirement is that the Ship is an English language discussion board. It is difficult to maintain a proper discussion when someone uses a language that is not readily understood by many of the other shipmates. That is why a translation is required when someone uses a language other than English in a post.

Though the definition of English is at the whim of hosts who can make it totally incomprehensible, just for fun by removing vowels as we have recently seen in Hell. Thus, the rule is actually, in practice, that you should post in English, but if the hosts do something to make it incomprehensible, you'd better bloody well be damn careful, because they may do whatever. To be somewhat kinder, realize that they are human, and make errors.

My bookmark to the Ship takes me to the front page which shows the number of people on the discussion boards which is currently 73. On a Sunday morning it is in the forties. Does anyone know what the highest and lowest numbers here are? Just being curious.

Quote:

quote:
Our visitor record is 290, set on 16 November, 2008 00:39 .
As for the lowest number, it depends who's frigging around with the admin panel, which has been known to set that number to zero.

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

quote:
As for the lowest number, it depends who's frigging around with the admin panel, which has been known to set that number to zero.

Why invoke human agency when a computer could fuck that up all by itself?

Because I don't recall the boards going down other than when a human agent was doing something, be it a scheduled maintenance activity such as rebuilding directories or unscheduled frigging around. The last two I recall have included one of each. Your Memory May Vary.

Thank you

quote:
Because I don't recall the boards going down other than when a human agent was doing something, be it a scheduled maintenance activity such as rebuilding directories or unscheduled frigging around.

[Big Grin]
I love that you think any of our frigging around is scheduled.

quote:
I don't recall the boards going down other than when a human agent was doing something

The boards have gone down briefly due to server issues. When the server is down, it doesn't send notifications that it's down to the whole internet. So you might have missed it.

Aha! You are caught, Rook. That is just the sort of thing one would say to camouflage one's nefarious intents.
Fight the power, passer, fight the power!

Posted by Jonah the Whale (# 1244) on :

At the top of each page of a thread is the phrase Source: (consider it). What does this mean?

quote:
Originally posted by Jonah the Whale:
At the top of each page of a thread is the phrase Source: (consider it). What does this mean?

I don't know about you but I instinctly skip posts from a small section of contributors*. It can save a lot of aggravation.

*except in Hell, that is.

quote:
Originally posted by Jonah the Whale:

It used to say "posted by", or something similar. It got changed during a H&A Day years ago.

As for what it means: it's a simple reminder to consider the source of what you're reading.

Posted by Jonah the Whale (# 1244) on :

Thanks, that makes sense. I had assumed it related to the title of the thread because it was the title bar. Hadn't made the connection that it was at the top of the post-contributor column.

Posted by Evensong (# 14696) on :

Just curious as to whether Beeswax Altar has been banned?

quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
Just curious as to whether Beeswax Altar has been banned?

No, he hasn't.

Posted by Evensong (# 14696) on :

Cool. Ta

Posted by SusanDoris (# 12618) on :

I wonder, is there a way of looking at a member's list of posts?

quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
I wonder, is there a way of looking at a member's list of posts?

Yes, there is.

1. Find the member. Do this either through the Directory, using member search or click on them in a thread.

2. That gives you a screen showing "Profile for <membersname>". On that, above the personal details, is "View recent posts". Click on that and you get the last fifty posts (unless they are very old posts indeed).

Posted by SusanDoris (# 12618) on :

Siomi Sais
Thank you.

You can also just click on their post count from within a thread.

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
You can also just click on their post count from within a thread.

Hey! That's a new one on me. Thanks.

Found it by accident a few years ago. Dang phone thumbs.

Posted by Zappa (# 8433) on :

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
if the hosts do something to make it incomprehensible, you'd better bloody well be damn careful, because they may do whatever.

I think you have the wrong beasts. Hosts are mere indentured serfs, struggling under the yoke of oppression. It is the admins who bear unrestricted, unfettered powers, walking with the gods and capriciously delivering random acts of wanton hatred.

Bite them, hippie peace-freaks.

To no prophet's specific point, can't Hosts edit anyone's posts within the board in which they host?

[ 17. June 2013, 20:21: Message edited by: monkeylizard ]

Yes, hosts can edit any post on the board(s) they host. Admins can edit any post, anywhere.

Posts are edited for one of two reasons, most of the time:
  1. A real foul up with coding that makes the post largely unreadable - getting nested quotes all mixed up so you don't know who's quoted and what's the reply, using CODE rather than QUOTE and screwing the page formatting, getting a link wrong so it doesn't work properly, multiple copies of the same post.

That is, they edit posts to make it easier for everyone to join in the discussion/game/rant/whatever.

2. To remove something that might get the Ship into legal hot water - large pieces of potentially copyright text, links to sites of dubious legality and taste, advertising and spam, remarks that may be incitement to illegal activities etc. And, note, we don't ask our hosts to be lawyers, nor to spend their time checking whether the particular version of a hymn you've quoted is still covered by copyright somewhere in the world, and so will always act in a cautious manner.

That is, they edit posts to protect the Ship.
That's basically it. Occasionally on a H&A Day the power to edit is used extensively. Hell hosts might occasionally think up some imaginative way to make a point. But, those are the exceptions.

[and, because I can add one blank line to make it look more pretty]

[ 17. June 2013, 20:57: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

Posted by Jade Constable (# 17175) on :

Emily's recent posting made me want to ask - is it possible for me to get a username change please? I made the same mistake she did in putting my full name as my username. Would be happy to make a donation for it!

We don' t usually allow name changes, but from time to time we hold a name change amnesty. When this happens it's announced here in The Styx and lasts for about 3 days. The last one was less than a year ago, so it'll be a while before the next one. Sorry.

Your screenname, the one everyone sees, can be changed. Your login name can not.

We disabled the ability of shipmates to change their name whenever they want several years ago. It just got too confusing for everyone when some people changed their displayed name every other week. We have periodic "name change amnesties" when we reactivate the ability for people to change their name for a short period. We had such an amnesty relatively recently, and don't have immediate plans for another ... but watch the Styx for an announcement when we do.

[x-post with Spike]

[ 28. June 2013, 07:11: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
Emily's recent posting made me want to ask - is it possible for me to get a username change please? I made the same mistake she did in putting my full name as my username. Would be happy to make a donation for it!

Just to add to Spike and Alan's comments ... The reason we don't sell name changes is that it can't be done in the Control Panel. One of the Admins would have to log in as you to make the change. And we'd really rather not do that unless something very serious had happened.

Tubbs

[ 28. June 2013, 11:44: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

I've heard about Hurricane Joanne of course, but I wasn't there when it happened. Sometimes I have the idea that if Joanne happened now, the situation would be dealt with easily. Maybe there have already been people on board who tried to be more disruptive than Joanne was, but since then it has been easier to deal with them. Could this be true?

quote:
I've heard about Hurricane Joanne of course, but I wasn't there when it happened. Sometimes I have the idea that if Joanne happened now, the situation would be dealt with easily. Maybe there have already been people on board who tried to be more disruptive than Joanne was, but since then it has been easier to deal with them. Could this be true?

Could be. We have more help these days.

I just missed Hurricane Joanne, so can't report first hand on the events. But, since then several things have changed - in addition to the increased number of hosts & admins around to handle things.

My understanding was that part of the impact of Joanne was that Shipmates at the time were not expecting someone to come along with the sole purpose of simply messing with a discussion board and the people here. Yes, they were ready for stringent atheists or ultra-conservative evangelicals coming in to preach their particular message without really engaging with others - that happens in real life, we've probably all been accosted by some street evangelist or someone on our door step. No one was really prepared for the equivalent of a group of friends sitting in a restaurant enjoying a good meal and conversation, and then for a complete stranger to come in and start throwing food and plates around. The surprise, and possibly a certain amount of "this can't be happening" may have delayed the necessary steps to correct the situation. Now, we have that experience (and the experience of other trolls) behind us and we're probably quicker to act.

Second, the software was very different then. It was very easy for someone to register and spam the boards, a lot of work to clear up the mess, and practically impossible to prevent. Several people stayed up late into the night for a couple of days doing nothing but deleting what Joanne had posted. Joanne caused the boards to be closed as the only way to stop her posting and give people a break, in the interim the software was changed to require people to register and be approved before they could post (with, almost immediately a payment associated with that) which greatly increased controls over who could get on and spam us. The UBB software is ancient, creaky at the joints and is not perfect. But, it is much, much easier to prevent a troll or spammer posting, and much easier to delete offending posts.

Hurricane Joanna arrived in January 1999, lasted two weeks and resulted in the first ever emergency shut down.

Joanna was, from what I was told, a militant atheist and had made it her mission to close down all Christian related discussion boards on the Internet. Her methodology was to spam boards into submission and simply make it Too Much Like Work ™ for those that ran them to carry on. By the time she got to us, she'd closed down several boards already. Erin said that The Ship was the only board that experienced the Hurricane and survived. Kudos to Erin, Simon and the others who cleared up the mess she made and wouldn’t give in.

I wasn’t here then, but I did arrive in time to witness both Pond Wars. (I am not thinking about how long that means I’ve been here, because that will freak me out!)

Tubbs

[ 01. August 2013, 10:56: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

quote:

On the History of the Ship thread I once asked about Joanne, and got some answers.

The History of the Ship thread makes for very interesting reading.

Moo

Posted by Starbug (# 15917) on :

Please can someone tell me how to copy a post to the Quotes thread?

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

I just bring up the post I admire, highlight and copy it (or the part of it that I like), go to the quotes thread, hit reply, type in the name of the person quoted followed by a colon, then hit the "quote" button by the smilies, and paste the copied quote between the bracketed quote and unquote. "Preview" and "add reply". Done [Smile]

[ 06. January 2014, 18:26: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

Or a slightly different means to the same end -

Hit the Reply with quote icon. Tidy up the text eg removing bits - until you have the bit you want. Plus you still have the original attribution and quote tags.

Then Select - Copy. Go to quotes file, click the Reply button, then Paste.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

This is the quotes icon.

[Smile]

Posted by Starbug (# 15917) on :

Thank you all for your replies. I will give it a try. [Smile]

Don't forget, if you want to try something out there's always the UBB Practice thread here in the Styx. If you get it wrong there you'll a) not screw up a discussion elsewhere and b) there's usually some smart person watching the thread who could identify what you did wrong and how to do it right.

Posted by Taliesin (# 14017) on :

where is the quotesfile?
i tried the search function...

I want to put this:
Ken, about Pete Seeger.
Someone said he was more like a worship leader than a pop star. He wanted everyone to join in and everyone to mean it and everything to be changed, one song at a time.

Do you mean this thread?

It's on Page 1 if The Circus

It's here, in the Circus. [Smile]

Posted by Taliesin (# 14017) on :

Thanks, never occurred to me to look there!

© Ship of Fools 2016