Thread: 8th Day: Personal Prayer / Spirituality / Devotions Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=028445

Posted by IngoB (# 8700) on :

I would like to trial a board about personal - as opposed to communal and liturgical - prayer / spirituality /devotions. The idea would be to talk about the spiritual life that we have apart from "going to church". For example, we can talk about what prayers we pray at home, regularly or occasionally. We can talk about methods of contemplation and meditation, and what experiences we have with them. We can talk about traditions and practices, like for example special food we cook at particular times of the year or perhaps whether we cross ourselves when leaving the house. We can talk about how we keep faith alive in our family setting, how we try to communicate it to our children. We can talk about the use of icons and other religious art, where we place it and what we do with it. We can even talk about personal (idiosyncratic...) practices that we have when attending communal services, as long as the focus is on what we personally do rather than what the community is (or should be) doing. For example, we have a habit of some special prayers to be said before or after the service that are not part of the general tradition of the church we attend. Etc.

To distinguish this from existing boards:
Basically, I intend this as a place to discuss "me and religion" or if you wish "my family and religion" at a practical, experiential and emotional level. Aside from doctrine, politics and church, where are we at, what do we do, how do we feel about our religion?

Oh yes, and suggestions for a snappy title for such a board are very welcome.

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

You might find something here? I like Reversed Thunder meself.

Posted by Thyme (# 12360) on :

Good idea.

I am not volunteering to do any hosting. Reading other comments on other threads I have just had a sudden horrid thought that maybe posting support on these Styx threads is equivalent to volunteering.

I am off to put a disclaimer on the food thread.

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
You might find something here? I like Reversed Thunder meself.

I like Soul's Blood more. I'm not very thunderous in my prayers...

Anyway, Thyme and others, please do comment here at ease. While I would need a volunteer or two for hosting eventually, this thread is for showing your interest and giving encouragement and/or critique.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

Good idea

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

Good idea. I could be a volunteer host if you stick clear of September 12 to end.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Have you given Jamat the heads up on this thread? I suggested he looked at this idea when he was trying to start threads on prayer in All Saints.

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Have you given Jamat the heads up on this thread? I suggested he looked at this idea when he was trying to start threads on prayer in All Saints.

Thanks, I have done so now.

Posted by Jamat (# 11621) on :

Thanks I am interested.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

Powerful idea.

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Good idea. I could be a volunteer host if you stick clear of September 12 to end.

Verse Works, the current experiment running in the Eighth Day, started July 23 and is doing fine, so I would assume it will run for a full three months, which means we won't start a new experiment until October.

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

Excellent idea!

Posted by luvanddaisies (# 5761) on :

This one sounds interesting too - I'd be an interested reader of both this and any potential resurrected T&T board - but I guess there can only be one 8th Day at a time, otherwise it'd be the 8th, 9th, 10th... Xth day.

While the T&T idea is loads of fun, I actually would hope to see this Idea be among the higher priorities- I think corporate devotion to prayer, and the kind of discussion that would promote this, would have an amazing impact on our little community.

Posted by MrsBeaky (# 17663) on :

I think this idea has the potential to be really, really good so I do hope we can run with it.

Posted by ecumaniac (# 376) on :

I am also keen to see this go ahead.

Posted by agingjb (# 16555) on :

Yes, me too.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

I see what Ingo is getting at, but don't see why these ideas couldn't be discussed on the main boards. (Someone had to say it.) Thinking back, off the top of my head I can remember we've discussed Christmas meal traditions in Heaven, meditation, contemplative practices and the use of silence, how it works when one half of a couple has no religious beliefs, books and ways to get small children involved, and more, in All Saints and Purgatory. ISTM there would be close areas of overlap between topics for the new board and the existing boards.

When this came up on the original thread proposing the 8th Day I wasn't sure how this would work as a separate board either, because it's something that has threads on most boards. And my feeling was that IngoB was missing the prayer threads in All Saints which overlapped with a number of these ideas.

But ... Jamat tried starting a couple of threads in All Saints that got shut down or diverted, and I began to wonder if maybe this board should be run to change the way we do the prayer threads, which could create a space to create some of these threads and follow some of the ideas through.

Posted by Hart (# 4991) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I see what Ingo is getting at, but don't see why these ideas couldn't be discussed on the main boards.

I don't think that should be a reason against the idea. If that was a case, none of the "Special Interest" boards would exist. ITSM that Heaven, Purg and Hell aren't really defined by content as much by style (except that a few specific topics get pointed elsewhere), so really any topic would be able to fit into one of those boards if there wasn't a special interest board that 'claimed it.'

The only reason "How do you read Jer 30:16?" wouldn't stay in Purg is because Keryg exists. But, that doesn't mean Keryg doesn't serve a (very valuable!) function. Most of the current poetry board could fit in either Heaven or Circus, but there still seems to be a point in bringing those specific threads together under the auspices of one board.

I agree with Hart's analysis.

I also think that "what is allowed" and "what is usually posted" are two rather different things. I can only speak for myself, but I am somewhat reluctant to start "unusual" threads even if I consider them "allowed".

For example, say I want to discuss whether one can call the Ignatian method of intensely imagining a bible scene a method of contemplative prayer, or whether it is rather something that is opposite in nature to "still" contemplation methods. To me that is an interesting, and indeed practical, question. Where do I put it? It's not an All Saints thing, it doesn't really fit Ecclesiantics. Purgatory seems the right board for it, in the sense of being allowed there. But I don't post it there. Why?

Well, frankly while Purgatory would certainly allow this, Purgatory is about doctrine, morals, science and politics, broadly understood. My topic just doesn't have the right vibe. I know, any board is what we make it. But is is a collective thing and posting a thread is a bit like planting a seed, one wants the plant to grow and prosper by encountering the right conditions.

I have posted myself to Ecclesiantics several times on matters that I would consider appropriate for the suggested prayer board. For example, on the German practice of inserting topical half-sentences into the Hail Mary's of a rosary. Yet Ecclesiantics somehow hasn't become the go to place for me concerning prayer. And apparently not so for others either. Looking at its current front page, I would say that there is just one (out of 25) threads that I would wish to "steal" for the trial board, and that's Evensong's "Prayers that really move you".

So is this prayer board absolutely necessary to allow Shipmates to talk about their individual spirituality? No, certainly not. Would it be a nice addition? I thinks so, yes.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I see what Ingo is getting at, but don't see why these ideas couldn't be discussed on the main boards.

I don't think that should be a reason against the idea. If that was a case, none of the "Special Interest" boards would exist. ...
Some of them would; I just think that the proposed remit is a lot less clearly distinct from the main boards than some of the other special interest ones, that's all.

Just so. A thread that seems odd or an outlier in one context, is fine as part of a bouquet, so to speak. Also, it allows to go further into a subject: certainly some of the Verseworks thread would have thriven elsewhere - but ones on villanelles, pantoums, englyns? I don't believe those would have ever happened.

Apparently a new 8th Day trial can be started after the 31st of August, somewhat sooner than I expected. Other proposals are probably ahead in the queue. Nevertheless, it would be good to be ready in case the prayer board has a chance to run this time.

So I'm looking for at least two volunteers to join me in hosting. If you are willing to help out, which requires regularly logging in and reading every post on the trial board during its maximum three month run, then please say so here. Ideally I would like to have several time zones covered (I'm in the UK).

Furthermore, I'm still looking for a good name for the trial board. All suggestions are welcome.

Posted by agingjb (# 16555) on :

The Hope and Anchorite.

Posted by Doublethink (# 1984) on :

Sweet Soul Music ?

Posted by Doublethink (# 1984) on :

Or, after John Wesley| -

Where The Action Is

Still Small Voice

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
Apparently a new 8th Day trial can be started after the 31st of August, somewhat sooner than I expected. Other proposals are probably ahead in the queue.

No proposals have been received yet.

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Still Small Voice

I'd really like that (1 Kings 19:11-13 is perhaps my favourite passage in the entire OT), but I feel as a title that would be to one-sided contemplative. We also need David dancing without shame (2 Sam 6:14-23).

Posted by RooK (# 1852) on :

Ommmm.

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

Rats. I saw RooK had posted and thought he was offering to co-host the latest incarnation. [Frown]

RooK hosting a prayer board? Clearly this would be as a penance, I wonder what he did...

Anyway, I'm still looking for actual co-hosts for this. You can drop me a PM if you prefer this to posting here. And don't worry if you are in Europe. While I would prefer different time zones, I'm a bit of a night owl. With a morning person we would get pretty close to 24 hours coverage. [Smile]

So, some possible names...

Agape & Close
No Sandals
Knock 'n' Kneel
Heart Bead
Living Vodka
Garrulous Groans
Ruachalyse

Posted by iamchristianhearmeroar (# 15483) on :

This is a great idea. As to a name, it's not particularly original but "Soul Space"?

Posted by EloiseA (# 18029) on :

No ideas on a title but I would like to see this board -- potentially very practical and helpful for those working out personal practices and disciplines of prayer and meditation.

Not sure where IngoB is, probably on holiday, but I suspect he has some hosts for this one.

Sorry for being out of the loop. I was on two different conferences in Canada and Netherlands, sick with flu, semi-holidaying for a few days, etc. I'm back now though and should be mostly available.

I'm thankful to

balaam
Curiosity killed ...
Kelly Alves

for offering to help out with the board as 8D hosts.

Woo-hoo! [Yipee]

Hope you're feeling better!

[ 30. August 2014, 16:54: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Posted by ChastMastr (# 716) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Hope you're feeling better!

Seconded, and welcome back!

Threads! We need threads!

I started one-- i admit, I delayed because I was trying to read up and formulate an erudite OP. Then I thought, " &$@# it, this isn't about church history, this is about what I do."

Feel free to PM one of the hosts if you want to post an OP but are not sure if it will work, but my guess is a lot if the time we will just tell you to go for it. [Big Grin]

Oh, and posting on the board has been enabled. [Hot and Hormonal]

Posted by Zoey (# 11152) on :

Apologies if this has been stated somewhere already. Is there an end date for the current 8th Day Kempistry board?* (Asked because I'm interested in reading it but not quite sure about time constraints and stuff in my life over the next few weeks.) Thanks.

(* How long did Verseworks last? I wasn't paying very much attention.)

Proposed duration of experimental Boards is between 4 and 12 weeks. Verseworks ran for 6 largely because that was the length of time the Hosts could give it the necessary level of commitment.

Posted by Zoey (# 11152) on :

Thank you. That's helpful and what I needed to know, having not paid attention to all the discussions about the mechanics of 8th Day. [Smile]

The rules say one to three months, and at this point in time I see no fatigue among the Kempistry hosts that would suggest an early end.

So there is plenty more time to participate, though I would gently encourage you to simply do it, and when you have more time, do so more. [Smile]

Due to the demands of real life, Curiosity killed... is stepping down as a host in Kempistry. The board will continue with its remaining hosts.

Many thanks, Curiosity killed... for your work on Kempistry in Eighth Day.

Thanks for your help! Take care, CK!

© Ship of Fools 2016