Thread: A Christmas Reading (for a carol service) Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=028733

Posted by Mudfrog (# 8116) on :

In our non-liturgical 'make it up as you go along; you liturgical types don't know how easy you have it' Carol service [Biased] I am having three readings from Luke's nativity narrative - annunciation, birth, shepherds - and that's it as far as Scripture is concerned.

What I'd like is a couple of secular/semi-secular Christmassy readings. Not the Betjemen 'lives today in bread and wine' one (old hat) but something along those lines.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Nothing too 'Radio 3' please.

Thanks

(Thread title edited to avoid confusion with another, very similarly titled, thread)

[ 10. December 2014, 18:36: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

Here's one which might appeal, by Steve Turner. You may well know it.

P.S. I love Radio 3 - but I know what you mean, not too high-falutin'.

[ 10. December 2014, 17:08: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posted by Adeodatus (# 4992) on :

You could do a lot worse than one of U.A.Fanthorpe's Christmas poems. There are many more than those in the link, but BC:AD is my favourite. There's something about the last few lines that always tingles my spine.

Posted by Magersfontein Lugg (# 18240) on :

Now by Fanthorpe is very nice I think.

It can be read by two voices - reading the lines alternately, and it has to be read slowly.

Posted by Roseofsharon (# 9657) on :

Another fan of Fanthorpe here.
My particular favourite - again for a great last sentence - is The Wicked Fairy at The Manger

[ 11. December 2014, 21:42: Message edited by: Roseofsharon ]

Posted by doubtingthomas (# 14498) on :

Would C.S. Lewis's Nativity fit the bill?

Posted by Fr Weber (# 13472) on :

Robert Southwell's poem here.

Posted by Galloping Granny (# 13814) on :

I cannot do better than to offer Joy Cowley's Nativity on this page at the end of David's introduction. It needs a good reader!

GG

Not really secular though, just one of Joy's 'psalms' well known and loved in New Zealand.

[ 13. December 2014, 07:50: Message edited by: Galloping Granny ]

Posted by Niminypiminy (# 15489) on :

The Mary of your Christmas Cards ?

Posted by StevHep (# 17198) on :

If you are looking for prose as well as poetry you might find something in Arnold Bennett's Feast of St Friend: A Christmas Book to take a random example-

quote:
And now I can hear the superior sceptic disdainfully questioning: "Yes, but what about the orgy of Christmas? What about all the eating and drinking?" To which I can only answer that faith causes effervescence, expansion, joy, and that joy has always, for excellent reasons, been connected with feasting. The very words 'feast' and 'festival' are etymologically inseparable. The meal is the most regular and the least dispensable of daily events; it happens also to be an event which is in itself almost invariably a source of pleasure, or, at worst, of satisfaction: and it will continue to have this precious quality so long as our souls are encased in bodies. What could be more natural, therefore, than that it should be employed, with due enlargement and ornamentation, as the kernel of the festival? What more logical than that the meal should be elevated into a feast?
Chapter 5

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

If you want to make them think about it for a week:

Auggie Wren's Christmas Story.

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

Mudfrog, I know you specifically identify your request as 'non-liturgical' but you never know, the various dealers in church services in Ecclesiantics might have some ideas. Worth a whirl.

Firenze
Heaven Host

Posted by georgiaboy (# 11294) on :

It may be to traditional for your contemplated use, but Chesterton's 'House of Christmas' is pretty potent stuff.

Posted by BroJames (# 9636) on :

How about Charles Causley's Ballad of the Bread Man?

Posted by ElaineC (# 12244) on :

I will be reading T. S. Eliot's Journey of the Magi at our Carol Service.

Posted by Mudfrog (# 8116) on :

You are all very kind - lots of great suggestions. So much material out there. Many, many thanks

Posted by venbede (# 16669) on :

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineC:
I will be reading T. S. Eliot's Journey of the Magi at our Carol Service.

Well, good on you. But that is the ultimate Radio 3 carol service reading.

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

Maybe next year you might like to look out Christmas in the Market Place.

This is a delightful 3 act play by Henry Gheon (I think that's the spelling) and needs only a small cast. I have seen it done by having the actors do their bit then singing carols at appropriate moments.

Posted by Ahleal V (# 8404) on :

Celebrating the Seasons by Robert Atwell (Canterbury Press, 1999) generally has one patristic/medieval, and one contemporary reading for each day of the season. Highly commended!

x

AV

© Ship of Fools 2016