Thread: Faith &/or Doctrine/Dogma Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=028799

Posted by Motylos (# 18216) on :

quote:
“A faith is something one dies for,
a doctrine is something one kills for.
There is world of difference.”
Tony Benn

The above quotation from the late British MP Tony Benn highlights a problem of belief and belief systems. Can faith be sepated from dogma — does dogma need faith?

Kevin Smith’s 1999 film Dogma raises interesting issues somewhat parallel to the above question and quotation, IMHO, too.

Posted by Fr Weber (# 13472) on :

He made a false distinction so he could bolster a platitude. Color me underwhelmed.

And although I enjoyed Kevin Smith's film, the essential message (It doesn't matter what you believe, just believe in *something*) is banal and stupid. What if you choose to believe in the innate superiority of the German nation?

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

"The fewer things people are willing to die or kill for, the better."

Boogie Smith

Posted by SusanDoris (# 12618) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Motylos:
quote:
“A faith is something one dies for,
a doctrine is something one kills for.
There is world of difference.”
Tony Benn

The above quotation from the late British MP Tony Benn highlights a problem of belief and belief systems. Can faith be sepated from dogma — does dogma need faith?
Neither should be died for or killed for I think. I see that definitions are:
dogma: 1. principle or set of principles laid down by an authority as incontrovertibly true.
and
doctrine: 1. a belief or set of beliefs held and taught by a Church, political party, or other group

Whether either or both are supported by objective evidence,, they should not be the cause of death.

Hmmm, I think that needs more thought!

[ 07. November 2014, 17:04: Message edited by: SusanDoris ]

Posted by Galloping Granny (# 13814) on :

Faith does not need dogma.
Dogma can kill faith.

GG

Posted by Ad Orientem (# 17574) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
Faith does not need dogma.
Dogma can kill faith.

GG

Nice soundbite but it wouldn't have been much good in resolving the Arian controversy, for instance.

Posted by Mudfrog (# 8116) on :

Faith is faith 'in' and not faith 'that'.

We basically have faith 'in' Christ/God; but for that faith to be well-placed, we need to have faith 'that' he exists, that he is whom he says he is, that he died and rose again.

If those tenets of the faith - dogmas, if you like - are not clearly stated and subscribed to, then faith 'in'Christ is founded on very little.

It isn't opinion that will set us free, but truth.

Posted by IngoB (# 8700) on :

Doctrines are what you believe in, the propositional content of your faith. Dogma are those doctrines which in your mind must remain essentially unchanged in order for you to consider your faith essentially unchanged.

There is hence no faith without doctrine and dogma, that is simply a cognitive impossibility. You cannot reasonably declare that you have faith without being able to say in what, thus automatically establishing some doctrine. And you cannot sensibly claim that you maintain faith without at least implying what would show that you have stopped doing so, thus automatically establishing some dogma.

People get confused here by the requirements of some churches to accept certain doctrines and dogmas as one's own in order to become their member. That is a specific process, and whether it is good, bad or ugly - and whether one should kill another over it - is open for discussion.

The presence of doctrine and dogma wherever there is any faith isn't - that's just a fact.

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

Perhaps there is a bit of differential perception of the meanings of these words. Where I live "dogma" has very negative connotations. Anyone described as adhering to dogma is thought of as "dogmatic" and frankly, is perceived as the intellectual equivalent to "asshole". But we're pretty casual about authority-based approaches to anything

Doctrine would tend to be used to refer to things that cannot be proved but thought of as worthy of belief.

"Dogma" and "doctrine" are technical theological terms, as Ingo points out above. The sort of person who uses the word "dogmatic" as an insult tends to have a log in his own eye.

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
... and whether one should kill another over it - is open for discussion. ...

IngoB some of us would find that a very chilling statement.

Posted by The5thMary (# 12953) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
He made a false distinction so he could bolster a platitude. Color me underwhelmed.

And although I enjoyed Kevin Smith's film, the essential message (It doesn't matter what you believe, just believe in *something*) is banal and stupid. What if you choose to believe in the innate superiority of the German nation?

I loved "Dogma" but I too was dismayed with the vapid message. Kevin Smith really blew it there. It was so New Age-y! Maybe he was trying to show what a stand-up guy he is so he made Rufus be more liberal but that really sucked. Nice touch making God appear as a man AND a woman, though! I love to think about God being a beautiful woman...ahem! I have to go think pure, pious thoughts now! [Hot and Hormonal]

Posted by Honest Ron Bacardi (# 38) on :

Dogmas are essentially the same as axioms in logical discussion - they provide a bedrock without which any discussion ultimately dissolves into incoherence.

There is quite a lot of discussion on what - if any - differences exist between dogmas and axioms. They are typically described differently, but effectively finish up in functional identity IMHO (and in the opinion of some proper philosophers also).

Doctrine is simply "that which is taught". So I think I'm agreeing with IngoB here, except for the bit about killing people. Though I may have had a sense of humour failure at this late hour.

[ 07. November 2014, 21:50: Message edited by: Honest Ron Bacardi ]

Posted by Martin60 (# 368) on :

As cold as Cocytus.

Posted by PaulTH* (# 320) on :

The problem I've always had with dogma and doctrine is the more you define, the more you require in terms of belief, the more exclusive the religion becomes. This suits people who love to see themselves as a saved remnant from a lost humanity, but it isn't the God I believe in. I'm a minimalist in terms of what should be required doctrine.

Rabbi Hillel, a near contemporary of Jesus was once asked by a potential convert to give him a summary of the Torah while standing on one leg. He said, "Whatever is hateful to you, do not do to another. That is the whole of the Torah. The rest is commentary."

Perhaps that's the whole of human religion stripped of it's cultural and practical baggage. Jesus mostly told His followers that their destiny is decided by the way they treat each other. I see believing in Jesus mostly in terms of placing one's trust in what He said. I see faith in Him as faithfulness to the life He told us we must lead. That consistes of loving one another as He has loved us. It's a total orientation of life Godward, in knowledge that His love encopmasses all creation. So I place much more emphasis on devotion than on definitions.

quote:
Originally posted by PaulTH*:
The problem I've always had with dogma and doctrine is the more you define, the more you require in terms of belief, the more exclusive the religion becomes. This suits people who love to see themselves as a saved remnant from a lost humanity, but it isn't the God I believe in. I'm a minimalist in terms of what should be required doctrine.

Rabbi Hillel, a near contemporary of Jesus was once asked by a potential convert to give him a summary of the Torah while standing on one leg. He said, "Whatever is hateful to you, do not do to another. That is the whole of the Torah. The rest is commentary."

Perhaps that's the whole of human religion stripped of it's cultural and practical baggage. Jesus mostly told His followers that their destiny is decided by the way they treat each other. I see believing in Jesus mostly in terms of placing one's trust in what He said. I see faith in Him as faithfulness to the life He told us we must lead. That consistes of loving one another as He has loved us. It's a total orientation of life Godward, in knowledge that His love encopmasses all creation. So I place much more emphasis on devotion than on definitions.

Thanks, Paul. My thoughts too. Jesus' words are more value than the formulations of church fathers and theologians.

Posted by blackbeard (# 10848) on :

Another, Thanks, PaulTH.

Faith (as discussed in some posts above, derived from doctrine/dogma) is dead, lifeless as a corpse. See James.

quote:
Originally posted by blackbeard:
Another, Thanks, PaulTH.

Faith (as discussed in some posts above, derived from doctrine/dogma) is dead, lifeless as a corpse. See James.

False dichotomy.

As St. Bart the Simpson said, 'Sorry man, my karma ran over your dogma.'.

quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
quote:
Originally posted by blackbeard:
Another, Thanks, PaulTH.

False dichotomy.
Explain.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

Tony used the word 'dogma' in the commonly understood meaning of the term. It was at a time when Harold Wilson talked about 'theology' as a boo word.

Posted by Evensong (# 14696) on :

You can't have faith without dogma. What do you have faith in if you have no beliefs? Nothing.

Faith is trust. What are you trusting in? What do you believe you're trusting in?

If you have faith then you have dogma. Yours just might be different from other peoples if you don't like toeing the line of a particular set of beliefs (dogmas).

quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
You can't have faith without dogma. What do you have faith in if you have no beliefs? Nothing.

Evensong, I think you have spotted that the term "dogma" (much like the term "faith") is used by different people to mean different things. For some, the term "dogma" is what the Church, or part of the Church, teaches, usually with the implication "believe this or else ...".

Or, of course, you might say "After careful consideration I have come to believe that ..." and this is then your personal dogma which underpins your faith. Which some might consider an entirely reasonable approach.

A difference in definitions, perhaps. Which might, of course, be a bit of a tangent, but it seems to lie at the heart of a good deal of disagreement. FWIW I don't like toeing the line of other peoples dogmas either.

quote:
Rabbi Hillel, a near contemporary of Jesus was once asked by a potential convert to give him a summary of the Torah while standing on one leg. He said, "Whatever is hateful to you, do not do to another. That is the whole of the Torah. The rest is commentary." Perhaps that's the whole of human religion stripped of it's cultural and practical baggage.

No, it isn't. And you should know it because the One whom you claim as your master has provided a rather different summary of the whole of religion. But perhaps remembering the Two Great Commandments is already too dogmatic for you?

Oh yeah, and primary sources on this claim about Rabbi Hillel, please? The only thing an eminent Rabbi would have delivered if asked to distill doctrine while standing on one leg is his other leg swinging in an arc to deliver a much deserved kick in the butt. Furthermore, the idea that the very people who wrote the bloody Talmud share your dismissive attitude about "commentary" is just painful. What do you think the "School of Hillel" was actually about? Do you think they were learning algebra there, or something?

Posted by Tortuf (# 3784) on :

Folks seem to have a vision of what God is and what the attendant faith/doctrine/worship of God should be like according to their personalities.

For instance, those who have fine cognitive minds like exacting doctrine to help them understand God.

Those who might be more emotive find other ways to understand God.

I wonder which God prefers?

IngoB's only. Maybe we need another other intercessor?

Posted by Dave W. (# 8765) on :

quote:
quote:
Rabbi Hillel, a near contemporary of Jesus was once asked by a potential convert to give him a summary of the Torah while standing on one leg. He said, "Whatever is hateful to you, do not do to another. That is the whole of the Torah. The rest is commentary." Perhaps that's the whole of human religion stripped of it's cultural and practical baggage.

No, it isn't. And you should know it because the One whom you claim as your master has provided a rather different summary of the whole of religion. But perhaps remembering the Two Great Commandments is already too dogmatic for you?

Oh yeah, and primary sources on this claim about Rabbi Hillel, please? The only thing an eminent Rabbi would have delivered if asked to distill doctrine while standing on one leg is his other leg swinging in an arc to deliver a much deserved kick in the butt. Furthermore, the idea that the very people who wrote the bloody Talmud share your dismissive attitude about "commentary" is just painful. What do you think the "School of Hillel" was actually about? Do you think they were learning algebra there, or something?

Actually it was the Gentile who was supposed to be standing on one leg, and Shammai who reacted in the way you suggest, IngoB.

The story appears to be from Folio 31a of the Tractate Shabbath of the Babylonian Talmud:
quote:
On another occasion it happened that a certain heathen came before Shammai and said to him, 'Make me a proselyte, on condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot.' Thereupon he repulsed him with the builder's cubit which was in his hand.12 When he went before Hillel, he said to him, 'What is hateful to you, do not to your neighbour:13 that is the whole Torah, while the rest is the commentary thereof; go and learn it.'

Posted by Beeswax Altar (# 11644) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:

Faith is trust. What are you trusting in? What do you believe you're trusting in?

If you have faith then you have dogma. Yours just might be different from other peoples if you don't like toeing the line of a particular set of beliefs (dogmas).

Very good, Grasshopper.

quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
Actually it was the Gentile who was supposed to be standing on one leg

OK, that makes a lot more sense. I guess what PaulTH* wrote could mean that, though to me it still sounds more like the Rabbi was standing on one leg in his paraphrase.

quote:
and Shammai who reacted in the way you suggest, IngoB.

Good on Shammai.

quote:
The story appears to be from Folio 31a of the Tractate Shabbath of the Babylonian Talmud:
quote:
On another occasion it happened that a certain heathen came before Shammai and said to him, 'Make me a proselyte, on condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot.' Thereupon he repulsed him with the builder's cubit which was in his hand.12 When he went before Hillel, he said to him, 'What is hateful to you, do not to your neighbour:13 that is the whole Torah, while the rest is the commentary thereof; go and learn it.'

And good on Hillel, too, for that crucial last half-sentence which didn't make it into PaulTH*'s paraphrase...

Posted by PaulTH* (# 320) on :

I'm sorry if I misquoted the Rabbi Hillel bit, it's many years since I read it, but the idea is there. Of course I believe in the Bible's overall message of our journey from the slavery of sin and attachment to the world, to the liberation of God's Promised Land, and the means which God has provided for us to achive this. It is necessary to have the faith to make this other wordly journey which often goes against our animal instincts of survival. Yet I still believe that it's making the journey which saves, rather than just believing in it.

Jesus saves.

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
Jesus saves.

In so many ways. He actually runs the bank. He is The Lifeguard. He plays goal on The Best Team. He lets the pope and a few other wirms* run things though.

*wirm: white intellectual rich man

quote:
quote:
Actually it was the Gentile who was supposed to be standing on one leg

OK, that makes a lot more sense. I guess what PaulTH* wrote could mean that, though to me it still sounds more like the Rabbi was standing on one leg in his paraphrase.

In a way I think it would make more sense - and be fairer - for the Gentile to challenge the Rabbi to stand on one leg, as you originally thought. It sounds like the Gentile is clearly expecting the task to be impossible (or at least very hard), so why trust him to be honest about how long he can really stand on one leg? (Not that he's seriously suggesting the trial, but I think the attempt at mockery would have had a better chance if he hadn't obviously combined the element of "Ha! You're so long-winded!" with "And I'm a dick!")
quote:
quote:
and Shammai who reacted in the way you suggest, IngoB.

Good on Shammai.

These pictures of a stout, 523 mm long royal Egyptian cubit suggest something quite suitable for administering a carefully measured beatdown.

quote:
Jesus saves.

From what? And perhaps more importantly: To what?

GG

Posted by goperryrevs (# 13504) on :

quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
doctrine: 1. a belief or set of beliefs held and taught by a Church, political party, or other group

I see doctrine as wider than just a set of beliefs. The etymology comes from the Latin decere (be fitting) and its causative doctore (to make to appear right / fitting). We get the words 'doctor' and 'decent' from these roots too.

Doctrine isn't some abstract set of beliefs - it's teachings that fit, that sit right. That's what I find in the teachings of Jesus. They make sense to my soul, even when they're on the surface counter-intuitive. They heal and they challenge. Doctrine and faith are much more closely entwined than we might believe. It's not that doctrine speaks to the head and faith speaks to the heart. Doctrine is only doctrine if it impacts our gut as well as our brain. Like the sermon on the mount does.

quote:
quote:
Jesus saves.

GG

And who is Jesus?

Posted by TomM (# 4618) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
quote:
quote:
Jesus saves.

GG

And who is Jesus?
To complete the set:
Who does Jesus save?
How does Jesus save?
Why does Jesus save?

From: Meaningless suffering ending in oblivion. To: eternal significance.

goperryrevs wrote:-
quote:
I see doctrine as wider than just a set of beliefs. The etymology comes from the Latin decere (be fitting) and its causative doctore (to make to appear right / fitting). We get the words 'doctor' and 'decent' from these roots too.
erm - I think you just conflated two verbs there. Decere (to be fitting) and docere (to teach), from which we get "doctor", "doctrine" etc.

I like your second paragraph notwithstanding that!

Posted by Kwesi (# 10274) on :

Boogie
quote:
"The fewer things people are willing to die or kill for, the better."
While I agree that "the fewer things people are willing to kill for, the better", and that "the fewer things people have to die for, the better", surely the proposition that 'the fewer things people are willing to die for, the better" requires some clarification. After all, are not Christians called upon "to take up your cross and follow me"?

Posted by Planeta Plicata (# 17543) on :

quote:
In a way I think it would make more sense - and be fairer - for the Gentile to challenge the Rabbi to stand on one leg, as you originally thought. It sounds like the Gentile is clearly expecting the task to be impossible (or at least very hard), so why trust him to be honest about how long he can really stand on one leg? (Not that he's seriously suggesting the trial, but I think the attempt at mockery would have had a better chance if he hadn't obviously combined the element of "Ha! You're so long-winded!" with "And I'm a dick!")

According to a well-known explanation of this story in the Kli Yakar (a sixteenth-century commentary by Shlomo Ephraim Luntschitz), the would-be proselyte was entirely sincere, despite his apparent willingness to suggest that the Torah could be boiled down to a couple of sentences. The interpretation it suggests is that the Gentile, being elderly, was aware that his time for learning Torah had passed, and therefore wanted to know the fundamental thread that tied its endless complexity together.

By the way, in modern Hebrew (and Yiddish), the expression על רגל אחת ("on one foot") is used to mean something like "in a nutshell."

quote:

"I mean, say what you like about the tenets of National Socialism, Dude, at least it's an ethos."

[ 09. November 2014, 22:00: Message edited by: Planeta Plicata ]

quote:
Originally posted by Planeta Plicata:
quote:

According to a well-known explanation of this story in the Kli Yakar (a sixteenth-century commentary by Shlomo Ephraim Luntschitz), the would-be proselyte was entirely sincere, despite his apparent willingness to suggest that the Torah could be boiled down to a couple of sentences. The interpretation it suggests is that the Gentile, being elderly, was aware that his time for learning Torah had passed, and therefore wanted to know the fundamental thread that tied its endless complexity together.

By the way, in modern Hebrew (and Yiddish), the expression על רגל אחת ("on one foot") is used to mean something like "in a nutshell."

Interesting! Though if the Gentile is assumed to be sincere and elderly, Shammai's response seems even more excessively hostile.

Posted by goperryrevs (# 13504) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
goperryrevs wrote:-
quote:
erm - I think you just conflated two verbs there. Decere (to be fitting) and docere (to teach), from which we get "doctor", "doctrine" etc.

I like your second paragraph notwithstanding that!

Yeah, they're two different verbs, but from the same root (docere came from decere). From this etymology site:

quote:
This comes from docere `to show, teach;' interestingly, docere originally meant `to make [something] appear right.' It came from decere `to be seemly, fitting.'
It is interesting to note that docere/decere came from the Indo-European base *dok-/*dek-, which also gave us Greek dokein `seem, think,' the source of such English words as dogma, orthodox, and paradox.

An unpleasant trait in a person is to be dogmatic.
Can one stick by one's dogma and be undogmatic?

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

Good question. I'm drawn to a vivid NT illustration.

In 1 Cor 15 in the preamble to v20, Paul argues, persuasively, that if Christ is not risen our preaching is useless and we are to be pitied above all others.

But then he answers his own argument by the emphatic statement "But NOW (Gr nyni - an emphatic 'now', rendered in modern translations as 'indeed') is Christ risen". Something echoed in Easter services all over the world.

Now of course he has earlier appealed to the statements of witnesses. But I think the statement is classically dogmatic. This is essential. Believe this, believe this account of the withesses - or it all collapses. As you can see from this argument.

Now I am personally clear that Paul is right here. I believe him. I accept that the Resurrection created the Church, rather than the other way round. I suppose you might argue that I hold a dogmatic view of this aspect of history. I think you would be right to do that. Even if I allow for the possibility of this central 'now' acquiring some legendary aspects through time, essentially I am convinced that the witness of the church conveys the central truth. Christ is risen indeed and I hold that to be essential.

Now you may differ, of course, and I will always hear you out. But don't expect me to budge!

quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
An unpleasant trait in a person is to be dogmatic.
Can one stick by one's dogma and be undogmatic?

The vernacular of dogmatic implies inflexibility, hard-headedness and heartedness and is usually associated with being a dick.

It is quite possible IMO to stick by one's dogma and not be a dick.

Gentleness is a fruit of the Spirit.

The context is important too IMO.

Posted by SusanDoris (# 12618) on :

quote:
Originally posted by goperryrevs:

Doctrine isn't some abstract set of beliefs - it's teachings that fit, that sit right. That's what I find in the teachings of Jesus. They make sense to my soul, even when they're on the surface counter-intuitive. They heal and they challenge. Doctrine and faith are much more closely entwined than we might believe. It's not that doctrine speaks to the head and faith speaks to the heart. Doctrine is only doctrine if it impacts our gut as well as our brain. Like the sermon on the mount does.

Thank you for that interesting and thoughtful, and wise, reply.

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

I am clear sighted and firm minded.
You can be a bit stubborn at times.
He or she over there is a bigot.

The plumb line of doctrine seems to hang over words such as ‘orthodox’, ‘catholic’, and other such descriptions used from the time of the church councils to define who was ‘in’ and who was ‘out’ in terms of belonging to the imperial (Roman) Church. You might well have been ‘in’ on the opening day but be ‘‘out’ a day or so later. I think this was an imperial agenda which harmed the Church, because it defined faith by a set of temporal (chronologically) tenets fixed in a philosophical mindset of the contemporary culture. It meant a legacy that has lasted of Christians condemning Christians. This pursuit of orthodoxy and catholicity has divided and broken the Church century after century and is a far distance spiritually and emotionally from most people’s Christian faith.

quote:
The plumb line of doctrine seems to hang over words such as ‘orthodox’, ‘catholic’, and other such descriptions used from the time of the church councils to define who was ‘in’ and who was ‘out’ in terms of belonging to the imperial (Roman) Church. You might well have been ‘in’ on the opening day but be ‘‘out’ a day or so later. I think this was an imperial agenda which harmed the Church, because it defined faith by a set of temporal (chronologically) tenets fixed in a philosophical mindset of the contemporary culture. It meant a legacy that has lasted of Christians condemning Christians. This pursuit of orthodoxy and catholicity has divided and broken the Church century after century and is a far distance spiritually and emotionally from most people’s Christian faith.

It could as easily be viewed as a legacy of Christians condemning heresy, and rather than the division and breaking of the Church, the source of its preservation over the centuries. Perhaps someone else can point me to the great growth and cultural influence those churches wield who have abandoned any attempt at orthodoxy. I'll wait patiently.

If orthodoxy is a far distance spiritually and emotionally from most people's Christian faith, then 1) it's a good thing for them that there is grace and 2) they might expend some effort in catching up.

It's not as though the concept of heresy was invented at Nicaea, and the Arian controversy was by no means the first to have disturbed the Church. Either truth is important, or it isn't; in the latter case, why are we bothering with anything that doesn't give us all warm fuzzies?

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

Fr Weber

[Overused]

quote:
quote:

It could as easily be viewed as a legacy of Christians condemning heresy, and rather than the division and breaking of the Church, the source of its preservation over the centuries. Perhaps someone else can point me to the great growth and cultural influence those churches wield who have abandoned any attempt at orthodoxy. I'll wait patiently.

If orthodoxy is a far distance spiritually and emotionally from most people's Christian faith, then 1) it's a good thing for them that there is grace and 2) they might expend some effort in catching up.

It's not as though the concept of heresy was invented at Nicaea, and the Arian controversy was by no means the first to have disturbed the Church. Either truth is important, or it isn't; in the latter case, why are we bothering with anything that doesn't give us all warm fuzzies?

Oops! Flicked the button too soon!

I am not sure I am thinking of a ‘a warm fuzziness’ as the motivator of active Christians who do not enquire into the doctrines or dogma of the Church.

‘Heresy’ began as concept of difference rather than of fault — so I would want to tease out the meaning of truth by means of dialogue rather than bold statement.

Grace is another topic to teased out and discussed.

Motylos wrote:
quote:
‘Heresy’ began as concept of difference rather than of fault — so I would want to tease out the meaning of truth by means of dialogue rather than bold statement.
Can you provide some sort of support for this assertion? I challenge it.

"Heresy" is from haireomai (to choose). Many of the classic heresies are conservative, in that they choose to assert an already agreed part of the truth over against another part. You can see this most clearly in the great Christological heresies.

There is difference involved, but it is not difference that characterises heresy. There have always been different ways of looking at things that have not been controversial. What characterises heresy is the catastrophic reduction in understanding that flows therefrom. It is from that that the concept of faultiness arises.

quote:
Bauer argued that the early Christian church did not consist of a single orthodoxy from which emerged a variety of competing heretical minorities. Instead, early Christianity, as far back as we can trace our sources, could be found in a number of divergent forms, none of which represented the clear and powerful majority of believers against all others. In some regions of ancient Christendom, what later came to be labelled ‘heresy’ was in fact the earliest and principal form of Christianity. … … … To this extent, ‘orthodoxy’, in the sense of a unified group advocating an apostolic doctrine accepted by the majority of Christians everywhere, simply did not exist in the second and third centuries. … Beliefs that later came to be accepted as orthodox or heretical were competing interpretations of Christianity, and the groups that held them scattered throughout the Empire.
Bart D. Ehrman, (2003: 173), Lost Christianities

So Bart Ehrman cites a person named Bauer who believes that the development of what we now call orthodoxy was a historical accident. Color me underwhelmed.

Posted by Holy Smoke (# 14866) on :

quote:

Truth is indeed important, however the question for me is to what extent is orthodox Christian doctrine actually true - I'll allow the sort of orthodox Christianity you believe in isn't a complete pack of lies, but I suspect that the doctrines which became officially accepted did so because they were best placed to support the church as an institution, rather than because they were true in an absolute sense. For example, it is advantageous to an institution if a member has to sign up to what the institution believes, and it is also I suspect advantageous if there is some degree of separation between the official dogma and actual truth - for one thing, it takes away any thought of independent verification, outside the authority of the church, and for another, it provides a nice little obedience test to test the 'faith' of the members - and a nice method of psychological manipulation.

So yes, heresy is important, but to the institution, not to the individual member.

That would be the highly cynical view, of course.

Posted by Holy Smoke (# 14866) on :

quote:
That would be the highly cynical view, of course.

I think I'd call it the social Darwinism hypothesis.

[Devil]

quote:
Originally posted by Holy Smoke:
quote:

Truth is indeed important, however the question for me is to what extent is orthodox Christian doctrine actually true - I'll allow the sort of orthodox Christianity you believe in isn't a complete pack of lies, but I suspect that the doctrines which became officially accepted did so because they were best placed to support the church as an institution, rather than because they were true in an absolute sense.
I think this is an anachronism. You had bishops arguing against bishops and other heavyweights and different schools against each other during the early controversies.

The "church" really on started becoming "institutionalised" or technically more uniform in thought when the great ecumenical councils started deciding things in the fourth century.

Didn't stop the internal dissension of course but you could at least point out " well the Council of Nicea said this!".

Posted by Callan (# 525) on :

I think that it's fair to say that there was always an aspiration that there should be one orthodox doctrine but it was comparatively loosely defined and patchily enforced prior to Nicea and (subsequently) the interest of successive Roman Emperors in doctrinal uniformity. I don't think there was ever a time when people thought that (say) Montanists or Docetists as equally legitimate schools of thought.

Originally posted by Holy Smoke:

quote:
I suspect that the doctrines which became officially accepted did so because they were best placed to support the church as an institution,
That's not a bad thought to have but, for example, Arianism was adopted by many of the Gothic Kingdoms, after the fall or Rome, and I'm not aware of any evidence that the institutional heft of the church was much stronger or weaker in those realms. Leaving the Holy Ghost out of the equation for a moment, it's possible to imagine a scenario whereby the Flavians kept the dynastic infighting to a minimum and eventually succeeded in having Arianism adopted as the official faith of the Empire. Most of the stock accusations levelled at orthodox clericalism would probably have been levelled at Arian clericalism, instead.

Exactly, Callan--in fact, I can't see how Arian christology (which makes the Son subordinate not just in role but in substance to the Father) would have any less of a mystically oppressive effect. The Con-men were just as totalizing as the Orthodox, and the Gothic kingdoms weren't known as paradises of religious pluralism either.

quote:
[/QThe struggle between pro- and anti-Chal- cedonian elements continued to be fought out at many levels in the East. Various attempts were made to re-unite the Church. There were meetings with anti-Chalcedonians in Constantinople in 532 (the “Conversations with Syriac Orthodoxy”), Justinian’s efforts in the next decade to have the “Three Chapters” condemned and then the Second (Fifth Ecumenical) Council of Constantinople in 553 (which recognised the hypostatic union of Christ as two natures, one divine and one human, united in one person with neither confusion nor division) by which Justinian hoped to reunite Chalcedonians and Monophysites in the East, but which really only gave rise to yet another group, the so-called “neo-Chalcedonians” (which emphasised the synthesis of natures in Christ). Increasingly the matter became more and more confused as various parties denied or shared communion with others and competing bishops were ordained. Justin ii and the empress Sophia also attempted to bridge the theological differences unsuccessfully at Callinicium. Heraclius twice promoted a compromise: firstly advocating Sergius’ doctrine of Mono- energetism 153 discussed first at the Synod of Garin in 622. Although this. proposal initially seemed to gain wide acceptance, it was officially denounced by staunchly Chalcedonian Sophronius after he became Patriarch of Jeru- salem in 634. He saw this compromise as a threat to Chalcedonian Orthodoxy and as promoting Dyothelitism–the doctrine of the two wills of Christ. Sergius and Heraclius too abandoned Monoenergetism. In 638, they released a slightly amended formula, called the Ἔκθεσις. In this revision, the question of the energy of Christ was not relevant; instead, it promoted the belief that while Christ possessed two natures, he had only a single will, the teaching of Monotheletism. The “Doctrine of the Single Will” as proscribed in the Ecthesis was sent as an edict to all four eastern metropolitan sees and when Sergius died in December 638, it looked as if Heraclius might actually achieve his goal of ecclesiastical unity. However, in the same year Pope Honorius I, who had seemed to support the new formulation, also died. His successor Pope Severinus condemned the Ecthesis outright (and was thus denied his seat until 640). His successor Pope John IV also rejected the doc- trine completely, leading to a major schism between the eastern and western halves of the Catholic Church at the moment Heraclius was dying. Subsequently, Heraclius’ grandson Constans II, who rejected the doctrine of Monotheletism was determined to end the dispute with the West. Conse- quently, he ordered that all discussion about the Monothelite doctrine was to cease and that all theological positions were to reflect the status quo ante of Chalcedon, issuing his Tύπος in 648 to this effect. Ignored in the West, the Ecthesis was condemned by the Lateran Council of 649. This infuriated em- peror Constans who ordered the abduction and trials of Pope Martin I and Maximus the Confessor. In 668 Constans died, and Monothelitism was con- demned once and for all at the Third Council of Constantinople (the Sixth Ecumenical Council, 680–681) in favour of Dyothelitism.

Rober Kerr, ‘Aramaisma in the Qur’an and Their Significance’, pp. 198-199 in Ibn Warraq (2014), Christmas in the Koran

More for you to be underwhelmed by, Fr. Weber.

Posted by itsarumdo (# 18174) on :

That's like a family feuding over a will. The deceased required his room to be painted a specific shade of blue-grey-green with sparkly bits, and on the completion of which the family would receive a billion pounds in gold. Now they just fight over the exact shade of blue and how many sparkly bits per square inch. The room remains largely unpainted.

I'm not sure what you think you're proving there, Motylos. No one has denied that controversy over heresy has resulted in arguing over small details, or that the constant back and forth wasn't tedious. And by all means, if your reaction is to wring your hands, look sanctimoniously to the heavens, and exclaim "O O O what a shame it is that Chris-tee-ans should so fight amongst themselves," then have at it.

But in back of that attitude, it seems to me, is the conviction that the small details are irrelevant because the truth is either unimportant or unknowable, or both. And if that's the case, bugger this for a game of sojies--I'm staying in bed Sunday mornings.

quote:
So Bart Ehrman cites a person named Bauer who believes that the development of what we now call orthodoxy was a historical accident. Color me underwhelmed.

Darwin and social evolution have already been mentioned. I think Ehrman (I have the book) is interested in that wonderful fantasy world of alternate realities. He goes too far, and I suspect this is editors wanted to sell more books, the point being overstated. That variation in Christianities existed and we have an elimination to a narrow set presently is worth considering.

Just like in biological evolution, there are only so many ways to solve a functional problem, there are only so many ways to understand Christianity. But the field does not narrow to just orthodoxy. Wings, for example, have evolved in birds, insects, mammals and dinosaurs. They all function similarly, but are all different. With Christianity, there may have been a number of possibly variants that could well have made the church "fly", and Ehrman is helpfully pointing this out. To simply say that the one we have as orthodoxy is the only way because it is the one we have avoids the real point. We don't really know if it makes a huge difference or not with some of the specific dogma or doctrines, and what things might look like with the Church. What we have isn't necessarily the best of all possible dogma and doctrines (the error of Pangloss) , it is simply what we have and we are right to consider the alternatives.

The notions of papal authority, various things about Mary and women in general, the trinity, what actually happens to the bread and wine, and others, seem to be some of these possible variants, some of which we actually have today. Wings can be functional without feathers, but birds without wings are dead in the water.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: "Did you hear that? That was the sound of St. Athanasius turning in his grave"!

quote:
Originally posted by itsarumdo:
That's like a family feuding over a will. The deceased required his room to be painted a specific shade of blue-grey-green with sparkly bits, and on the completion of which the family would receive a billion pounds in gold. Now they just fight over the exact shade of blue and how many sparkly bits per square inch. The room remains largely unpainted.

This ‘family feuding’ cost people lives, livelihoods and livings, itsarumdo. It also allowed the total collapse of the church and Christianity across most of the Middle East. Dogma, dogmatism, doctrine created this vacuum. Rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic. It was also an Imperial Church imposing itself as the safeguard of all truth and understanding about Christianity!
[Ultra confused]

Posted by itsarumdo (# 18174) on :

When I have these conversations I always end up asking what Christianity was before it was institutionalised.

Posted by Russ (# 120) on :

quote:
Either truth is important, or it isn't; in the latter case, why are we bothering with anything that doesn't give us all warm fuzzies?

If you believe classical logic, then yes. If on the other hand you lve in the real world, then you can acknowledge that some truths are important, some are unimportant, and some are important in some circumstances and not others.

Some truths are worth dying for. Some aren't worth upsetting your neighbour for. Some are in between.

I lack sympathy for the viewpoint that a vague appeal to platonic Truth is sufficient justification for ramming one's own views down one's neighbours throat. And have heard variants of this viewpoint enough times to be suspicious of those who go on about truth in religious matters.

If in your case such suspicion is misplaced, I apologise for misreading what you wrote.

Best wishes,

Russ

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

quote:
This ‘family feuding’ cost people lives, livelihoods and livings, itsarumdo. It also allowed the total collapse of the church and Christianity across most of the Middle East.

The Muslims didn't hurt that outcome either.

quote:
Originally posted by Russ:
quote:
Either truth is important, or it isn't; in the latter case, why are we bothering with anything that doesn't give us all warm fuzzies?

If you believe classical logic, then yes. If on the other hand you lve in the real world, then you can acknowledge that some truths are important, some are unimportant, and some are important in some circumstances and not others.
Actually classical logic says nothing whatever about the relative importance of truths.

quote:
I lack sympathy for the viewpoint that a vague appeal to platonic Truth is sufficient justification for ramming one's own views down one's neighbours throat. And have heard variants of this viewpoint enough times to be suspicious of those who go on about truth in religious matters.
Because they don't triage truth into the same buckets as you?

quote:
Originally posted by itsarumdo:
When I have these conversations I always end up asking what Christianity was before it was institutionalised.

Which makes me think of locked doors and people in white coats supervising the patients or inmates. Hey, wait, that's not too far away is it? Just re-costume the people and rename the roles. Good one!

Posted by Callan (# 525) on :

quote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: "Did you hear that? That was the sound of St. Athanasius turning in his grave"!

He does it on special occasions, when the Athanasian Creed is being recited. The Father incomprehensible, *bump* the Son incomprehensible, *bump* and the Holy Ghost incomprehensible *bump*.

Actually, given the details of his career, I think that he would be spitting tacks if you suggested that orthodoxy didn't matter that much. But if you suggested that the prevailing orthodoxy had something to do with the reigning Emperor he would have probably sighed wearily and agreed with you.

quote:
Originally posted by Russ:

If in your case such suspicion is misplaced, I apologise for misreading what you wrote.

I have no interest in forcing my views on anyone. The church, however, has the right to define its doctrine. It also has the right (I would even say the responsibility) to suspend communion with those who choose to believe differently.

Of course I'd hate to see that taken as a pretext for torture, execution, or war. If assent isn't freely given, it's worth nothing.

quote:
I have no interest in forcing my views on anyone. The church, however, has the right to define its doctrine. It also has the right (I would even say the responsibility) to suspend communion with those who choose to believe differently.

This is denominationally dependent isn't it? RCs are quite rigid about who gets communion. Anglicans around here - well it is generally announced that if you're baptised you may come forward for communion.

Posted by Kwesi (# 10274) on :

FrWeber
quote:
Couldn't agree more! The question, however, is the basis on which it claims that right. When allied to "outside the church there is no salvation" it looks less acceptable.

Posted by Russ (# 120) on :

quote:
I have no interest in forcing my views on anyone. The church, however, has the right to define its doctrine.

Put like that, I can't help wondering whether "the church" defining its doctrine necessarily involves those men in positions of power in some sense "forcing" their views on the others ?

Accepting gladly your point that such coercion, if indeed there be any, is merely on pain of expulsion from fellowship. Rather than on pain of pain...

Best wishes,

Russ

© Ship of Fools 2016