Thread: Mansion tax Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=028814

Posted by Lord Jestocost (# 12909) on :

I was on the verge of getting my thoughts on this together when Tubbs (in a spot-on piece mostly about St Bob) conveniently goes and posts this in Hell:

quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
And whilst I’m here … Mylanne Klass …That big meanie Ed Milliband wants to tax expensive houses to help pay for the NHS. But £12m will only buy you garbage in central London. And you’re expected to pay tax on that? OMFG! Maybe Bob could do something for celebs in need so they know it’s Christmas too.

From what I've heard Ms Claas could have expressed herself more tactfully, but the point she made is still valid. My biggest problem with the mansion tax is that tax should be on money that has been earned, past tense. I'm not defending millionaires who can be expected to dig deep - that goes with being a millionaire. But it seems to me that the tax is a blunt instrument. There are retired people who were lucky enough to buy cheaply and lift thriftily and find that the house they bought for 2/6 in 1960 is now worth millions. The question is not only why should they be expected to cough up, but where they should be expected to cough up from?

According to the Beeb people who have a taxable property but are in the basic tax rate can defer until the property changes hands. Which is a good start to meet this criticism - but they here's a thought, why not just tax the people who are already rich enough to make that purchase?

As Tubbs adds:

quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
Alternatively, George could tackle the deficit by showing the same enthusiasm for kicking the crap about of tax dodgers and avoiders as he does towards the poor and needy.

To which I can only add: damn right.

What do shipmates think?

Posted by Crœsos (# 238) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Jestocost:
According to the Beeb people who have a taxable property but are in the basic tax rate can defer until the property changes hands. Which is a good start to meet this criticism - but they here's a thought, why not just tax the people who are already rich enough to make that purchase?

Doesn't this deferment essentially do that? Conventional wisdom is that a tax assessed at time of sale will usually be passed along to the purchaser, either as a condition of sale or as an increase in price. Why wouldn't that be the case here?

Posted by Doc Tor (# 9748) on :

Here's a thought. Tax unearned wealth at a higher rate than earned wealth.

If you live in a house that earns more than you do, then there's no reason why that wealth shouldn't be taxed.

Posted by seekingsister (# 17707) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:

If you live in a house that earns more than you do, then there's no reason why that wealth shouldn't be taxed.

So a parent or grandparent shouldn't work hard in order to provide for their offspring? Just give it all to the state, they know better how to spend it than you do.

quote:
Originally posted by seekingsister:
quote:

So a parent or grandparent shouldn't work hard in order to provide for their offspring? Just give it all to the state, they know better how to spend it than you do.
Okay, let's unpick that a little. Did the 5th Duke of Westminster work hard in order to provide for his son, the 6th Duke of Westminster? Do you think that inheriting half of London, Oxfordshire and Scotland, and then managing not to spend it all on hookers, cards and drugs counts as hard work?

Or did you mean some other sort of hard work?

(eta - unearned wealth, by its very definition, isn't the result of hard work. Earning money by living in a house is not hard work.)

[ 19. November 2014, 13:51: Message edited by: Doc Tor ]

quote:
]Okay, let's unpick that a little. Did the 5th Duke of Westminster work hard in order to provide for his son, the 6th Duke of Westminster? Do you think that inheriting half of London, Oxfordshire and Scotland, and then managing not to spend it all on hookers, cards and drugs counts as hard work?

I'm American and find the landed gentry thing to be fairly ridiculous. But these are not the people, in the main, who have £2m mansions in London. It's largely people who made money in industries that people don't like (i.e. banking), and filthy rich people from abroad who see a big house in London as a safe, long-term asset.

I don't see why the children of these people should fear that if they choose to work in non-profits or teaching or nursing, that they don't be able to continue living in their family home that was purchased when times were good because they'll have additional taxes to pay.

You can get at these people's wealth in other ways - changes to capital gains and bonus taxes, additional levies on overseas investors in property, etc.

Essentially the mansion tax is an admission that there has been under taxation of wealthy people for the past 15-20 years and since it's impossible to tax retroactively, going after their homes is the only option.

quote:
Essentially the mansion tax is an admission that there has been under taxation of wealthy people for the past 15-20 years and since it's impossible to tax retroactively, going after their homes is the only option.

It's an admission that getting anything out of wealthy people is difficult because they're very good at hiding their money. But even they cannot hide property - so that's what we have to tax.

Also, the idea that these are 'homes' in any sense of the word is slightly odd. These are tangible property investments, and need to be treated as such.

Posted by Callan (# 525) on :

quote:
Some kind of taxation is both inevitable and desirable. Even libertarians concede that we need a police force to protect property rights from the ravening proletarian hordes of moochers. So the question becomes how taxation is to be raised. I'm not sure why charging a levy on people who live in houses worth £2m is seen as some dastardly assault on private property, whereas taking PAYE from the woman stacking shelves at Tescos or the bloke at the till at MacDonalds is seen as part of the order of things. Notoriously, at present in the UK, it is possible to be as rich as Croesus (the Lydian king, not the Shipmate) and pay less tax than one's cleaner. It strikes me that fair taxation is taxation which is proportionate to one's ability to pay. In which case a Mansion Tax strikes me as being a step in the right direction.

Posted by chris stiles (# 12641) on :

quote:

I don't see why the children of these people should fear that if they choose to work in non-profits or teaching or nursing, that they don't be able to continue living in their family home that was purchased when times were good because they'll have additional taxes to pay.

Which would be about 250 pounds a month to live (presumably otherwise rent free) in one of the more salubrious parts of London, which has usually been improved fairly significantly by large amounts of public investment.

I presume most people who work as nurses or teachers in London spend significantly more than that to live in significantly smaller houses.

quote:

To an extent, and at the same time the wealthy have become adapt at avoiding taxes by use of various financial vehicles, so it is easier to tax what is visible.

quote:
It's an admission that getting anything out of wealthy people is difficult because they're very good at hiding their money. But even they cannot hide property - so that's what we have to tax.

How is it hard to tax capital gains or bonuses?

How is it hard to charge foreign property investors additional taxes when they purchase property? Not in perpetuity - at the point of purchase.

quote:
How is it hard to tax capital gains or bonuses?

https://media.economist.com/sites/default/files/cf_images/20040828/CSF983.gif

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

It is not a clean issue, mansion tax.
On one side, property is an asset. Money or debt in a bank. So taxing the revenue from the sale of such makes sense.
The other side though, is losing the family home. It would make more sense if such a tax considered the income of the receiver of said property.

Posted by Adeodatus (# 4992) on :

We're back here to what some of us were saying in the "London" thread a couple of weeks ago - that for politicians, if something's a problem for London, then it's a problem, but if something's only a problem in the rest of the country, then sod it.

£2million even in most parts of London (outside Kensington & Chelsea) will still buy you a lot of house. I've an acquaintance whose generously proportioned flat in Westminster is valued at under a million. But that aside, if you came to Manchester with your two million quid, it could literally buy you a street.

So stuff London. Tax the rich.

Posted by Lord Jestocost (# 12909) on :

quote:

That works if the "earning" results in an identifiable sum of money in a bank account somewhere. A percentage can be sliced off and sent to the nice taxman.

If the "earning" is just a slightly bigger number written on a piece of paper then the only way to turn that into money for the taxman is to sell the property or take out a loan on it. If you sell then, fair enough, pass it onto the buyer (as pointed out by Croesos, assuming you can find a buyer who isn't put off by the inflated sum required) but why should you be stuck with a loan you didn't want?

I've no problem with taxing inheritances, because the inheritee hopefully has their own affairs already in order: everything they receive from the Dear Departed is a bonus. So, bleed the Westminsters until they're white.

Posted by quetzalcoatl (# 16740) on :

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
On one side, property is an asset. Money or debt in a bank. So taxing the revenue from the sale of such makes sense.
The other side though, is losing the family home. It would make more sense if such a tax considered the income of the receiver of said property.

Why would someone lose the family home? The legislation would defer the tax for people on low incomes - which was presumably Myleene Klass's point about little grannies in expensive houses.

Interesting also that thousands of people have had to move house because of the bedroom tax - I wonder if Klass will campaign for them?

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

I think there is a strong point for the mansion tax - the very wealthy who can afford to buy and keep such properties should be contributing to the exchequer more.

But it is a difficult one, because property prices are not comparable across the country. We will soon be property millionaires, despite the fact that I will not have earned a million in salary in my lifetime. One of my properties is my pension investment, and is rented out at under market value to someone who needs it. Out main house will be a 4 bed property, not an exceptional size. It just happens to be in a very nice area.

Maybe the answer is to raise stamp duty, so that when a million pound or more property is bought, the buyers will have to stump up more tax. Of course, this will then cause some slowing of the property market - not in itself a bad thing, but some will suffer from this.

In the end, I would prefer that a) big corporations paid all of their reasonable tax and b) bankers who break the system should not get bonuses.

Posted by Anglican't (# 15292) on :

quote:
Did the 5th Duke of Westminster work hard in order to provide for his son, the 6th Duke of Westminster? Do you think that inheriting half of London, Oxfordshire and Scotland, and then managing not to spend it all on hookers, cards and drugs counts as hard work?

(eta - unearned wealth, by its very definition, isn't the result of hard work. Earning money by living in a house is not hard work.)

What makes you think he didn't? I can't imagine that estate management is easy. After all, plenty of estates have gone to the wall over the years.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

Why would someone lose the family home? The legislation would defer the tax for people on low incomes - which was presumably Myleene Klass's point about little grannies in expensive houses.

Interesting also that thousands of people have had to move house because of the bedroom tax - I wonder if Klass will campaign for them?

Doesn't the tax come into effect when the property changes hands? Like inheriting it?

quote:
Originally posted by chris stiles:
https://media.economist.com/sites/default/files/cf_images/20040828/CSF983.gif

If I recall correctly there was an investigation into Bernie Ecclestone (guess that's who this relates to) and HMRC settled for something far less than what they believe he owed. HMRC therefore is to blame, not a lack of a mansion tax.

quote:
If I recall correctly there was an investigation into Bernie Ecclestone (guess that's who this relates to) and HMRC settled for something far less than what they believe he owed. HMRC therefore is to blame, not a lack of a mansion tax.

That was specifically to your question as to how difficult it could possibly be to tax capital gains and bonuses.

HMRC do seem to run a multi-tier system, however they also don't have infinite resources to untangle every tax avoidance scheme. The reasons big businesses (and wealthy individuals) are able to pay less tax than they should is that they are frequently able to raise the cost of getting that tax to unattractive levels.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

In the UK until the 1950's there was an additional form of income tax under Schedule A. This was based on Imputed Rent and was a tax based on the increase in value of owned property in a year. It was discontinued in the UK, to encourage home ownership (and boy are we paying for that!) although it continues elsewhere, such as Switzerland and the Netherlands.

As far as 'Mansion Tax' is concerned, why stop at houses? Wealth is like manure: if it's spread around, it helps things grow. If it's piled up, it just stinks.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

quote:

So penalise middle income people who save for their future by investing?

Posted by Gwai (# 11076) on :

Yes! Why should their money be immune to tax when other people who don't have the money to save as much have to pay taxes?

quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
Yes! Why should their money be immune to tax when other people who don't have the money to save as much have to pay taxes?

I've always wondered why earned income is subject to more deductions, in the form of income tax and NI contributions, than unearned income and capital gains. Something to do with the preponderance of older, better-off people in parliament.

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

I've always wondered why earned income is subject to more deductions, in the form of income tax and NI contributions, than unearned income and capital gains. Something to do with the preponderance of older, better-off people in parliament.
Isn't it also a lot easier to collect? PAYE and VAT just nab it at source. I wonder if unearned income can mysteriously disappear into thin air, with the right accountants, and some offshore jiggerypokery.

Well, let's face it, tax is for the little people.

Posted by JoannaP (# 4493) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
We're back here to what some of us were saying in the "London" thread a couple of weeks ago - that for politicians, if something's a problem for London, then it's a problem, but if something's only a problem in the rest of the country, then sod it.

£2million even in most parts of London (outside Kensington & Chelsea) will still buy you a lot of house. I've an acquaintance whose generously proportioned flat in Westminster is valued at under a million. But that aside, if you came to Manchester with your two million quid, it could literally buy you a street.

So stuff London. Tax the rich.

But in some parts of Kensington & Chelsea, the people living in these flats worth £2 million+ are renting them; so who pays the "mansion tax": the Cadogan estate or whoever owns the freehold; the landlord who owns the leasehold or the tenant who lives in it? I suspect that most tenants would notice an extra £250 a month going out...

Posted by Arethosemyfeet (# 17047) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
What makes you think he didn't? I can't imagine that estate management is easy. After all, plenty of estates have gone to the wall over the years.

The owners rarely manage the estates themselves. Indeed, the Duke of Argyll gets really pissed off if people try to get him involved in decisions made by his managers (who tend toward being skeevy money grabbing heartless bastards, as is traditional). He owns something like 98% of the land around here. Besides, even if the Duke of Argyll mismanages the estate and pisses half of it up the wall, he's still one of the wealthiest people in the country without having done anything of note to achieve it.

[code]

[ 19. November 2014, 20:50: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Okay, so tell me again why all of you are so incredibly worried about adding a bit more tax onto people who are rich enough to buy a £2million plus house and own half a county?

Posted by Twangist (# 16208) on :

I'm more worried that Ed M was wrong footed (or at least has been portrayed as such) by the question

Posted by Martin60 (# 368) on :

What did Jesus' hard man do to he who buried His wealth?

quote:
Okay, so tell me again why all of you are so incredibly worried about adding a bit more tax onto people who are rich enough to buy a £2million plus house and own half a county?

I'd like to be able to say that I don't want to be out of pocket.

quote:
quote:

Plenty of benefits recipients are out of pocket through simply having a room more than the state deems necessary! You could give it another name but it has the same effect as a 'mansion tax'.

[ 19. November 2014, 22:26: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

quote:
quote:

But I'm guessing that isn't going to be the case, right?

So - what's the principle behind your opposition to it? My principle for it is that firstly, unearned wealth should be taxed at least as much as earned wealth, and secondly, land and/or property derives value outside of itself, value which we (the taxpayer) have created and should be recompensed for.

Posted by Leorning Cniht (# 17564) on :

quote:
and secondly, land and/or property derives value outside of itself, value which we (the taxpayer) have created and should be recompensed for.

I could happily get behind proposals for a land value tax. The so-called "mansion tax" proposals are very far from a sensible land value tax.

An LVT is really what we want. A Mansion tax is simply the first stage in getting it.

quote:

Because taxes tend to move in one direction - higher and broader. Look at the air passenger duty - when it started the highest rate was £40, now it's £194. Look at when VAT was "temporarily" raised to 20%, it hasn't come down. You can't buy any house in London below the stamp duty threshold.

I'd support a wealth tax on all assets in Britain, no loopholes or exclusions. If you receive earned income and pay income tax, you can exclude the property that you live in. If you don't, you pay maybe 2% on £2m and ratchet it up slightly to £5m and up. Levy it on the owners of the properties regardless of where they are based (or if they are shell companies) and enforce it.

quote:
Because taxes tend to move in one direction - higher and broader.

Except for all the very substantial tax cuts introduced for very rich people, and the lower rates already imposed on unearned income, I suppose.

Given that Stamp Duty starts at £125k, there are a great many properties even in the grim post-industrial north that get that charge. No one particularly likes taxes, I understand that. But no one likes dying in a dark, pot-holed street at night because there are no street lights, road crews, ambulances, paramedics, nurses, doctors or hospitals, either.

Somehow, the very, very rich have managed to convince sufficient numbers of us that taxes are bad, and they (alone) should be exempt. I find this quite extraordinary, and if I was an external observer, I'd applaud the their audacity.

quote:
Somehow, the very, very rich have managed to convince sufficient numbers of us that taxes are bad, and they (alone) should be exempt. I find this quite extraordinary, and if I was an external observer, I'd applaud the their audacity.

No, Doc Tor, it's that some of us understand economics.

How much tax revenue do you get from rich, internationally mobile people, if they avoid it? None. Why do they avoid it? Because they think the rate is too high and they shop around for a jurisdiction with a lower rate. Making taxes higher in Britain just makes more British wealthy people put their money in Singapore or Mauritius.

Can you address my previous suggestion of a flat wealth tax?

quote:
quote:

No, Doc Tor, it's that some of us understand economics.
Thank you, Milton Friedman.

quote:
How much tax revenue do you get from rich, internationally mobile people, if they avoid it? None. Why do they avoid it? Because they think the rate is too high and they shop around for a jurisdiction with a lower rate. Making taxes higher in Britain just makes more British wealthy people put their money in Singapore or Mauritius.
I'm sorry, I thought you said you understood economics.

On one hand, you say you want rich, internationally mobile people to live in this country. On the other, you admit that we get no tax from them. Is that because you like watching their limos drive by on the roads you've paid for? Because otherwise, you derive no benefit from them being here whatsoever.

quote:
Can you address my previous suggestion of a flat wealth tax?
Flat taxes are entirely regressive, and do not benefit anyone but the very rich.

So your concern is the percent of income paid in tax, not the absolute amount? It's not fair for someone to pay 10% tax even if the revenue to HMRC on that is £100,000 a year?

quote:

So in a previous post you say we should tax wealth, yet here you admit we can't. So long as there is any jurisdiction where taxes were lower than the UK at least some people would move their money there. Similarly you prescription in your last post that only people not earning an income be subject to 'mansion tax' would lead to a cottage industry of the rich being employed as the representative of a british arm of a business that was registered in the Dutch Antilles or whatever.

Still there are things that we could tax - note that there isn't a huge of exodus of the rich moving to these lower tax jurisdictions - so at least some of their consumption will remain in large world cities (like London) where they like to be seen.

I'm not a huge fan of the mansion tax purely because it could trivialise the issue. I've not seen many coherent arguments against it though (least of all talk of 2m pound garages and impoverished grannies living in Georgian houses in K&C)

Posted by Matt Black (# 2210) on :

quote:
quote:
quote:

But I'm guessing that isn't going to be the case, right?

So - what's the principle behind your opposition to it? My principle for it is that firstly, unearned wealth should be taxed at least as much as earned wealth, and secondly, land and/or property derives value outside of itself, value which we (the taxpayer) have created and should be recompensed for.

The prime reason why I am against it is that it is unnecessary. We have enough taxes in this country. By that I don't necessarily mean that the level of taxation is high enough - that's another debate - but that the number of different ways to tax people is enough without having to add yet another one which will doubtless necessitate HMRC employing more people at...er...taxpayers' expense.

If you want to tax real estate then there are plenty of existing taxes to choose from: CGT, SDLT, Iht (the latter to a degree at least), income tax on rental incomes, etc. If you want to increase the level of taxation on real estate then increase the rates on all or some of the above. Above all, bloody enforce the existing system! No need to introduce a brand new tax which is more about posturing as it is about sensible economic policy and which is likely to be something of a blunt instrument and have unintended consequences in high-expense property areas.

[ 20. November 2014, 09:02: Message edited by: Matt Black ]

quote:
So your concern is the percent of income paid in tax, not the absolute amount? It's not fair for someone to pay 10% tax even if the revenue to HMRC on that is £100,000 a year?

If they 'earn' a million and pay a net 10% while those who earn £50 thousand pay at a net 20% then yes, it's not fair.

Moreover, anyone on 50K pays a lot more in indirect taxation than someone on a million as a proportion of income, making taxes like VAT and petrol duty highly regressive.

(eta: TBH I'd like a flat rate tax of about 50% with much higher personal allowances but far fewer loopholes)

[ 20. November 2014, 09:03: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

quote:

I think it's entirely appropriate for the HMRC to make a tactical decision to pursue some forms of evasion and not others based on the resources they have available to them.

At the same time I think it's entirely correct for the government to make the strategic decision that people should contribute to society according to their ability to do so. There are plenty of ways in which those who are rich benefit - in monetary terms - far more than on the poor from things like; the rule of law, legal institutions, intellectual property rights and the police. To a large extent those tax havens also remain law abiding because of the global reach of developed nation states.

And no .. I don't think we are on the far side of the Laffler Curve.

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
The prime reason why I am against it is that it is unnecessary. We have enough taxes in this country.

A properly levied LVT - one that rich people can't avoid - should mean we can do away with many of the taxes - CGT, IHT, etc - that they avoid already, and allow the tax inspectors to concentrate on two important things: who owns this piece of land and what is its value?

quote:
So in a previous post you say we should tax wealth, yet here you admit we can't. So long as there is any jurisdiction where taxes were lower than the UK at least some people would move their money there.

You can tax physical assets here in Britain. That may include property but is not limited to it. You can't hide a house in London in a Caribbean tax haven. If it's here in this country, it should be taxed.

What I don't want is a tax on anyone who lives in an expensive house, if those people already pay income taxes through their salaries. A tax to get revenue from people who own assets in Britain but do not have income here is what is necessary.

quote:
What I don't want is a tax on anyone who lives in an expensive house, if those people already pay income taxes through their salaries. A tax to get revenue from people who own assets in Britain but do not have income here is what is necessary.

That won't work, as has already been explained. People can manufacture shell jobs as easily as shell companies.

Posted by Evangeline (# 7002) on :

quote:
On one hand, you say you want rich, internationally mobile people to live in this country. On the other, you admit that we get no tax from them. Is that because you like watching their limos drive by on the roads you've paid for? Because otherwise, you derive no benefit from them being here whatsoever.
Don't you have a VAT, ie a tax on consumption of goods and services? Therefore, if you reside in the UK and you buy a limousine in the UK (or even import a limo), don't you pay tax on the purchase?

If you own a property that you don't live in, don't you pay tax on the rental income derived from that property? Isn't that paying tax on property?

If you pay tax on unrealised income, ie the increase in the value of an asset that remains in your portfolio, when the stock market or property market crashes should you be able to get a tax deduction or refund for unrealised losses?

quote:
quote:

That won't work, as has already been explained. People can manufacture shell jobs as easily as shell companies.
A shell company is totally irrelevant - whoever/whatever is the owner of the asset pays the tax. HMRC seizes property when taxes aren't paid.

My suggestion was to exclude the property you live in, if you earn an income in Britain. I used to work with a guy whose dad owned three flats in Knightsbridge - one for himself and one each for his son and daughter. Each one might not be £2m but totalled up you'd get that wealth tax on his combined assets and have something to tax him on - better than a mansion tax it would seem to me.

I think you're just being argumentative, my proposal seems to target the same people you want to target and more directly than a tax on house prices.

quote:
There are plenty of ways in which those who are rich benefit - in monetary terms - far more than on the poor from things like; the rule of law, legal institutions, intellectual property rights and the police. To a large extent those tax havens also remain law abiding because of the global reach of developed nation states.

But they don't use the NHS more (or at all), which is what the mansion tax is supposed to be funding.

quote:
But they don't use the NHS more (or at all), which is what the mansion tax is supposed to be funding.

.. but they would if they were impoverished grannies.

The context of the quoted remark was that of what the overall aim of the tax system should be - in response to the question you raised here:

http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=019191;p=1#000040

It wasn't intended as a guideline on particular taxes. In general I don't think hypothecation of taxes is a good thing.

quote:

My suggestion was to exclude the property you live in, if you earn an income in Britain.

I think you are completely missing the point. The problem is in your proviso; if such a thing was enacted anyone who was living off returns from investment alone could just seek to have part of that paid as 'income' in order to avoid tax on the property they live in. It's simply what many contractors used to do - but in reverse.

[ 20. November 2014, 09:47: Message edited by: chris stiles ]

quote:
quote:

My suggestion was to exclude the property you live in, if you earn an income in Britain.

I think you are completely missing the point. The problem is in your proviso; if such a thing was enacted anyone who was living off returns from investment alone could just seek to have part of that paid as 'income' in order to avoid tax on the property they live in. It's simply what many contractors used to do - but in reverse.
Earned income as in someone who pays taxes through PAYE. Not capital gains or investment income.

Perhaps you can explain how the mansion tax is avoidance free but my wealth tax idea is a terrible idea that would never work ever?

Honestly, do you think Ed Miliband is the only person to have an idea of how to tax wealth? Think outside of the box here.

quote:
quote:
The prime reason why I am against it is that it is unnecessary. We have enough taxes in this country.

A properly levied LVT - one that rich people can't avoid - should mean we can do away with many of the taxes - CGT, IHT, etc - that they avoid already, and allow the tax inspectors to concentrate on two important things: who owns this piece of land and what is its value?
Abolishing several taxes to create a new one would involve even more costly internal reorganisation for HMRC than just creating a new tax! I ask again: why does Ed(other than blatant electioneering) see the need to reinvent the wheel rather than use the existing system more effectively?

It's not Miliband's or Labour's idea anyway; it was first put forward by Vince Cable, I think, and was adapted as a higher 'Stamp Duty Land Tax' by the coalition. In fact, Clegg has been replying to Myleene Klass in the last few days.

You can contribute, if you like, to an appeal fund for multi-millionaire Myleene Klass, so that she can pay her mansion tax (heavily sarcastic of course).

quote:
Earned income as in someone who pays taxes through PAYE. Not capital gains or investment income.

So just create a shell company, register yourself as a part-time employee, pay yourself a nominal wage of £100 per month for consultancy. Use levels of indirection as appropriate.

In general a wealth tax is a good idea as long as it applied to all wealth, not just property holdings.

I don't see that a mansion tax is a terribly bad idea though - so far all the arguments seem to be either poorly thought out or some variant on the okay being the enemy of the perfect.

[ 20. November 2014, 10:30: Message edited by: chris stiles ]

quote:
You can contribute, if you like, to an appeal fund for multi-millionaire Myleene Klass, so that she can pay her mansion tax (heavily sarcastic of course).

I oppose the mansion tax not because I think the rich shouldn't pay taxes, but because it's a blunt and ineffective instrument, and it will not stop at £2m properties.

Enforce the taxes we already have and if necessary tax assets for people who don't earn wages as their primary source of income, because physical assets can't be taken offshore. No one has responded to what happens to the guy who owns three £1m properties in London - he isn't going to get hit by the mansion tax but he certainly has more than £2m in assets.

[ 20. November 2014, 10:34: Message edited by: seekingsister ]

quote:

"So I can avoid paying tax on my £2million property if I'm paying PAYE on a £12k pa job someone's just invented for me? Sweet."

And that's why your idea won't work.

Posted by Leorning Cniht (# 17564) on :

quote:
An LVT is really what we want. A Mansion tax is simply the first stage in getting it.

But the "mansion tax" is wrong - it's taxing the value of the (building + land), not the land. To get to an LVT, you have to start with the right assumptions.

[ 20. November 2014, 10:37: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

quote:
quote:

"So I can avoid paying tax on my £2million property if I'm paying PAYE on a £12k pa job someone's just invented for me? Sweet."

And that's why your idea won't work.

It will work, it just means that guy is exempt. If the person is actually doing a job and earning that money, then fine. The reality of course is that the type of job a very rich person would take would pay far more than £12k pa and then yield even more income tax revenue.

And if I own multiple properties with a combined value more than £2m but each is worth less than £1m, your mansion tax doesn't work.

quote:
quote:

I oppose the mansion tax not because I think the rich shouldn't pay taxes, but because it's a blunt and ineffective instrument, and it will not stop at £2m properties.

Enforce the taxes we already have and if necessary tax assets for people who don't earn wages as their primary source of income, because physical assets can't be taken offshore. No one has responded to what happens to the guy who owns three £1m properties in London - he isn't going to get hit by the mansion tax but he certainly has more than £2m in assets.

Surely, one reason that taxes like this are being proposed, is that the rich will always find ways to dodge taxes, either through loop-holes, or clever accountancy, or just hiding the cash off-shore, or whatever. Properties are more difficult to hide, although just give it time, they will find a way.

I am just enjoying my Mrs Merton moment in relation to millionaire Myleene Klass.

quote:
I ask again: why does Ed(other than blatant electioneering) see the need to reinvent the wheel rather than use the existing system more effectively?

Because the existing system relies on chasing money that is inherently difficult to pin down, especially when the same people who consult for HMRC on tax legislation are the same people who advise very rich people on how to find the loopholes in tax legislation. Bluntly put, the existing system can easily find all the "hard working families" but it sucks at grappling with complex shell companies deliberately designed to obfuscate.

And furthermore, that's exactly how the system's been designed: to find the low and medium wage workers, and look the other way for the rich and unearned wealth-getters.

So, given that's what the system does, you either make a system that penalises labour even better at penalising labour, or you do something different. I choose the something different.

quote:
If the person is actually doing a job and earning that money, then fine. The reality of course is that the type of job a very rich person would take would pay far more than £12k pa and then yield even more income tax revenue.

Your naivety is sweet, but oh so very easily exploitable.

quote:
Your naivety is sweet, but oh so very easily exploitable.

Please do not condescend. I disagree with you and have proposed an alternative, not out of naivete but out of own education and understanding, thank you very much.

quote:
It will work, it just means that guy is exempt. If the person is actually doing a job and earning that money, then fine. The reality of course is that the type of job a very rich person would take would pay far more than £12k pa and then yield even more income tax revenue.

[brick wall]

'type of job' - the whole point is that the job is not 'real' in any sense of the word, it's just a mechanism used for tax arbitrage.

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
But the "mansion tax" is wrong - it's taxing the value of the (building + land), not the land.

And for a triple post, that doesn't make it "wrong".

I think Doc Tor is bang on - PAYE and VAT nail the poor to the barn door; while the rich hire a clever accountant to make money disappear. But I don't expect Labour to correct this, as they are quite content with the filthy rich getting richer.

[ 20. November 2014, 10:56: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

quote:
[brick wall]

'type of job' - the whole point is that the job is not 'real' in any sense of the word, it's just a mechanism used for tax arbitrage.

You do realize that the mansion tax doesn't exist yet, right?

You are bashing your head against the wall because my imaginary alternative has a method of avoidance. Well, that's what enforcement is for.

Mansion tax is just as avoidable. I split my £2m property into flats and rent them out, then buy a £1.9m property to live in.

Or I arrange to sell my £2m house to a shell company that employs me for £1.9m and then that shell company buys me a £1.9m house that I rent from it.

quote:
Please do not condescend. I disagree with you and have proposed an alternative, not out of naivete but out of own education and understanding, thank you very much.

No, you misunderstand the way in which the tax system could be used. The 'job' doesn't have to be real in any sense of the word.

It used to be common practice for contractors to operate inside a company in which they were the owner and director. This was for both reasons of limited liability as well as tax efficiency. They would pay themselves just enough income to stay under a particular threshold of their choosing - and then withdraw anything else by paying themselves dividends (taxed via CGT and not subject to NI). In no sense were those dividends the product of capital gains in the formal sense, it was just a mechanism used to arbitrage between different tax regimes for incomes vs investment returns.

quote:
No, you misunderstand the way in which the tax system could be used. The 'job' doesn't have to be real in any sense of the word.

I'm not misunderstanding anything.

Some rich guy owns three properties and doesn't want to be taxed on the one he lives in, which is the most expensive. He asks his buddy at a FTSE company to throw him a non-exec board or advisory position that pays £40K per year. He'll still be taxed on all of his other assets. So yes he avoids one part of my suggestion but not the other.

If his main residence was worth £1.5m, he wouldn't pay mansion tax at all even if his combined assets exceeded £2m.

So again - why is my idea so terrible and naïve?

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:

The slave who buried his wealth was thrown out of the city - therefore the slave was Jesus himself who kept torah and was crucified outside the city.

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:

The slave who buried his wealth was thrown out of the city - therefore the slave was Jesus himself who kept torah and was crucified outside the city.
[Paranoid]

That has to be the most, um, original interpretation of that parable I have ever stumbled across.

quote:

Because all I own is tied up in my house - which i paid for out of earned income, not inherited income, which had already been taxed.

Why pay tax twice - and pay again a third time when I die?

If I thought tax was redistribution to the poor, I'd be Ok with it. But it isn't - it goes to private contractors who run what used to be public services.

Posted by Gwai (# 11076) on :

So you'd rather that those who need public services* have nothing? Because I don't see those public services being given back to the government any time soon, even if they should be.

*I don't say the poor because we all use public services

quote:
quote:
I ask again: why does Ed(other than blatant electioneering) see the need to reinvent the wheel rather than use the existing system more effectively?

Because the existing system relies on chasing money that is inherently difficult to pin down, especially when the same people who consult for HMRC on tax legislation are the same people who advise very rich people on how to find the loopholes in tax legislation. Bluntly put, the existing system can easily find all the "hard working families" but it sucks at grappling with complex shell companies deliberately designed to obfuscate.

And furthermore, that's exactly how the system's been designed: to find the low and medium wage workers, and look the other way for the rich and unearned wealth-getters.

So, given that's what the system does, you either make a system that penalises labour even better at penalising labour, or you do something different. I choose the something different.

But I don't see how the mansion tax will be any different - avoidance will still abound.

quote:
But I don't see how the mansion tax will be any different - avoidance will still abound.

How do you propose avoiding paying tax on a piece of property I can physically point to? The only quibble might be who to send the bill to, but that's what an updated Land Registry will sort out.

Posted by Angloid (# 159) on :

quote:
quote:

Because all I own is tied up in my house - which i paid for out of earned income, not inherited income, which had already been taxed.

Why pay tax twice - and pay again a third time when I die?

If I thought tax was redistribution to the poor, I'd be Ok with it. But it isn't - it goes to private contractors who run what used to be public services.

But I didn't think your house was worth £2million, Leo. Of course everyone deserves somewhere to live and that basic provision shouldn't be taxed. But nobody needs a mansion. Even in (most parts of) London £2 million will buy a fairly decent family home. And the big problem for places like Kensington and Chelsea isn't that well-off people might be taxed, but the scandalous price inflation which means that poor and ordinary people can't afford to live there. Yes, perhaps some interim provision could raise the tax threshold in places like that, but government action is needed urgently to curb prices and provide genuinely affordable housing for those who need to live there.

To say 'why should I pay tax on my property when I have already paid it on my income?' is reminiscent of those who whinge about 'having' to pay private school fees when they have already paid for state schools through their taxes. If they choose to buy superior provision they can't complain about having to pay for it.

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
Even in (most parts of) London £2 million will buy a fairly decent family home.

Given the rise in property prices in London, perhaps we should call this the 'Central London Family Home Tax'?

quote:
But nobody needs a mansion. Even in (most parts of) London £2 million will buy a fairly decent family home. And the big problem for places like Kensington and Chelsea isn't that well-off people might be taxed, but the scandalous price inflation which means that poor and ordinary people can't afford to live there. Yes, perhaps some interim provision could raise the tax threshold in places like that, but government action is needed urgently to curb prices and provide genuinely affordable housing for those who need to live there.

1. How does making an expensive place to live more expensive - by adding a tax - provide any relief to people who can't find affordable housing?

2. You find it wrong to spend money on more house than one needs. If instead of spending £2m on a home, a rich family spends £1m on it, where is the additional revenue to HMRC or benefit to the economy? A £2m home generates £140,000 in stamp duty (7%); a £1m home £50,000 (5%). The rich family will stick that second million in Jersey or the Caribbean. So where's the benefit?

3. Again no one has addressed how the mansion tax has any impact on someone who owns multiple very expensive properties across the country as long as they all fall below the £2m threshold. (Hint: it doesn't have one).

quote:
How does making an expensive place to live more expensive - by adding a tax - provide any relief to people who can't find affordable housing?

It doesn't. That's why I said that an urgent problem is to tackle criminal price inflation. A mansion tax is probably a crude instrument but at least it is aimed at those who are able to pay. The bedroom tax is not only crude, but cruel and immoral.

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

I kind of get the idea of taxing windfall profits. But the windfall doesn't have to be realized until you sell from what I understand upthread. Same thing in Canada for dwellings that are not your primary residence.

We bought life insurance on a second property, such that all taxes owing will be paid by the life insurance.

So my question is why not buy life insurance on the potential tax owing. Which is what we did with the cottage. A "second to die" policy (meaning it pays only when both wife and I are both dead) for $1 million (close to €600,000) costs about $3,800 per year, and we bought this in the 6th decade of our lives. Thus, our children can decide to keep or sell when we're gone.

If you cannot afford the life insurance, then can you get a line of credit against the value of the property? This again is how we bought the cottage. A line of credit is a demand loan such that you can pay just the interest and leave the principal. It's kind of like a mortgage you pay back to yourself.

( A financial planner or tax advisor can be your friend. )

quote:
quote:

How do you propose avoiding paying tax on a piece of property I can physically point to? The only quibble might be who to send the bill to, but that's what an updated Land Registry will sort out.
We can already physically point at property; it doesn't stop avoidance.

quote:
quote:
How does making an expensive place to live more expensive - by adding a tax - provide any relief to people who can't find affordable housing?

It doesn't. That's why I said that an urgent problem is to tackle criminal price inflation. A mansion tax is probably a crude instrument but at least it is aimed at those who are able to pay. The bedroom tax is not only crude, but cruel and immoral.
They're both terrible policies.

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

Any mansion tax is going to be unworkable for the simple reason that 99% of the country won't have property that falls into the £2,000,001 price range.

Don't believe me? I did a simple search looking at: Hastings, Rhondda-Cynon-Taff, Burton-on-Trent and Warrington and there were no properties in the house bracket in any of those areas. In fact most didn't have anything over £1.75m.

The point mentioned above about people who've been in the same house for decades is worth bearing in mind: why should the elderly - and it will mainly be older people - be penalised for living in a family home that the insane property market now prices at more than £2m?

The whole idea of a mansion tax is pandering to the politics of envy: it is the sort of proposal that goes down well in sixth form common rooms and should be consigned to file 13. The fact that those clamouring for the mansion tax say it is for the NHS doesn't make it anymore sensible or acceptable.

What the NHS needs more than anything else is a coherent strategy and list of priorities, setting out clearly the limits of what state funding will cover. Unfortunately, the NHS has become such a sacred cow that any suggestion that it may not be perfect or that certain services should be restricted, curtailed or charged-for immediately gets a knee-jerk reaction that people are out to 'destroy' the institution. (The same can be said of the welfare system as well.)

quote:

3. Again no one has addressed how the mansion tax has any impact on someone who owns multiple very expensive properties across the country as long as they all fall below the £2m threshold. (Hint: it doesn't have one).

There are a number of answers for this; firstly that a so-called mansion tax is a start, not an end goal. In the longer term, wealth in general will be probably have to be taxed in some way/

Secondly any tax will have a threshold below which you are tax exempt (yes we could set the limit for a single house lower - but then you were complaining about taxes being expanded earlier in the thread).

The tax itself would kick in fairly gradually - and is a fairly small fraction of the rent for a property of that size (which is why the argument about possible children who may work as teachers and nurses made very little sense).

And yes, we probably need to shift the burden of taxes towards non-primary residences.

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
The whole idea of a mansion tax is pandering to the politics of envy

'Politics of envy' was invented by very rich people so that poor people would hate destitute people.
quote:
A banker, a Daily Mail reader and a benefit claimant are sat at a table. On a plate in the middle are 12 biscuits. The banker takes 11 biscuits for himself, then turns to the Daily Mail reader and says – “watch out for that benefit claimant, he’s after your biscuit."
That's the politics of envy, right there, and it has nothing to do with expecting very rich people to pay their taxes.

quote:
But I didn't think your house was worth £2million, Leo. Of course everyone deserves somewhere to live and that basic provision shouldn't be taxed.

Nowhere near - it's the principle - and if I'd bought a house in London, the price would creep up - and if I'd bought it 50 years ago rather than 35, I could be in that bracket yet unable to afford to heat it etc.

quote:
it's the principle - and if I'd bought a house in London, the price would creep up - and if I'd bought it 50 years ago rather than 35, I could be in that bracket yet unable to afford to heat it etc.

So you'd rather freeze to death than realise your very significant assets? I'm really not sure what to make of that.

Posted by itsarumdo (# 18174) on :

The mansion tax is possibly one idea that might work if value creep was not an issue. But it detracts attention fro all these big corporations squirrelling money away from taxation through complex offshore ownership arrangements.

Value creep is a serious issue: look at the so-called Christmas Bonus that Edward Heath introduced in 1972.

Seet at £10 in 1972 it is still £10 - but to keep pace with inflation it should be somewhere around £98.

The other issue is just how are these mansions going to be valued? We all know just how out-of-date the notional Rateable Values used for calculating Council Tax are; can you see local government (for it will come down to them) having the means or resources to undertake a reliable survey?

quote:
The other issue is just how are these mansions going to be valued? We all know just how out-of-date the notional Rateable Values used for calculating Council Tax are

Well, given that Rateable Values were actually a thing once, it's not much of a leap of imagination to believe they could be a thing again in the future.

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

Whenever I hear someone invoke "the politics of envy" I feel the urge to bust into a certain piece by Cole Porter. The one which has had the point blunted by being applied to a quiz show with a large prize. The one which does down the wanting of millionairish stuff.

Most people complaining about the inadequate taxing of the rich aren't doing it for themselves. They are doing it for others. Like the inhabitants of an estate built to house the less well off which has been bought by a very rich Tory*, who first put up the genuinely affordable rents to "market level", and then, possibly because of the bad publicity, sold it on to an American property company which is in bad odour west of the Atlantic, and which is now evicting people who have lived their lives there and do not want to be forced into hostels where entire families live in rooms designed for single nurses waiting for ever receding chances to move into council housing.

I don't want to live in any of his country estates (that's something I'd hate), but I don't want him to live off the penury of the inhabitants of urban estates, either. That isn't envy. That's the politics of justice.

*Richard Benyon

Cole Porter's song was nothing at all to do with a quiz show, it was about choosing True Love over money - it was written for High Society and sung by Frank Sinatra and Celeste Holm.

Your bit about Richard Benyon MP is not quite correct.

First, the family company only bought a 10% share of the New Era Estate company a matter of months ago, and that was as part of a contract to manage the properties - commercial as well as residential - on behalf of the US owners of the remaining 90%, Westbrook Partners Investment Group. Since the action group decided to target the Benyon family through the MP they 10% share has been sold and the Benyon family have withdrawn from any involvement with the New Era Estate.

The New Era share was not part of the Benyon family's long-standing property holdings in North London which are nearer the de Beauvoir estate and out towards Gidea Park; NE was meant to be an investment by a subsidiary property management company only.

As landlords around Englefield the Benyon family have a good record as landlords, which is why richard Benyon's father was on the board of the Peabody and Ernest Cook trusts.

No, I'm not an apologist for Mr Benyon but one should get one's facts right.

quote:
quote:

There are a number of answers for this; firstly that a so-called mansion tax is a start, not an end goal. In the longer term, wealth in general will be probably have to be taxed in some way/

Secondly any tax will have a threshold below which you are tax exempt (yes we could set the limit for a single house lower - but then you were complaining about taxes being expanded earlier in the thread).

The tax itself would kick in fairly gradually - and is a fairly small fraction of the rent for a property of that size (which is why the argument about possible children who may work as teachers and nurses made very little sense).

And yes, we probably need to shift the burden of taxes towards non-primary residences.

OK, so now we're getting somewhere.

If the government wants to tax wealth, then it should come up with a policy that achieves this as effectively as possible. There's public support for it, and the most popular economics book in recent history addresses this as well (Piketty's Capital in the 21st Century).

It is wrong to tax people for owning expensive houses as a random attempt to get at rich people. Because owning an expensive house in and of itself is not a great indicator of liquid wealth, especially if that is someone's primary residence and only property owned in the UK. (This doesn't even get into the issue of financing an expensive house with a hefty mortgage).

It's not OK to implement a bad tax because you can't think of or figure out a way to implement a good one.

What we all want is to make sure that people who make a lot of money on non-productive activity cannot squirrel that money away offshore to avoid tax. So taxing physical assets is a good idea, but why is it limited to houses? What about land, businesses, investments? Don't we know who really is wealthy by weighing all of this in aggregate?

The mansion tax as proposed would go after someone who bought a house in London in the 1970s and doesn't own any other major asset, but would totally miss out on a person from abroad who owns 5 flats in Chelsea, none of which is occupied. So it is wrong, in my view. The second person is wealthy, the first just bought property a long time ago.

The fact is that (particularly) after the financial crisis, the expectations of the general population as to shat should be provided, maintained, cared for and supported by the state is unrealistic compared to the wealth that can be easily generated through reasonable taxation. None of the parties really have a solution, because they are not prepared to bite the bullet and tell their voters that the state cannot fund e.g. universal health care to the extent to which we have become accustomed. We can't provide pensions to an increasingly old society with the generosity that has marked the past 40 years. Something has got to give. The NHS could save about 1/3 of its budget if it stopped believing manufacturers drug claims, but there are so many pharma-sponsored "user" lobby groups that the public outcry would be politically unsustainable. We could probably pay off the national debt once more if we really taxed corporate profits as we should instead of the tax office doing sweet deals to claw a few pennies back. But both the last labour govt and this govt seem to have the idea that it's better to go for the small fish than risk (what?) with the bigger ones. Mansion tax is in many ways another small fish tax. The people who have a lot of money will continue to be able to adjust their account books so that they don't pay it.

quote:
Originally posted by itsarumdo:
The fact is that (particularly) after the financial crisis, the expectations of the general population as to shat should be provided, maintained, cared for and supported by the state is unrealistic compared to the wealth that can be easily generated through reasonable taxation.

This is the crux of it and a very bitter pill for many to swallow.

The flip side of "How can we raise the revenue to fund the programs that we want?" is "How can we fund the programs that we need with the revenue that we have?"

Posted by la vie en rouge (# 10688) on :

seekingsister, what you’re not explaining is why liquid wealth should be more taxable than other assets.

In France (where we get taxed into the ground, but that’s another story), wealth tax (impôt de solidarité sur la fortune) has existed for so long no one considers it all that controversial. It is calculated on the basis of all of a person’s (or a couple’s) assets, including real estate, cars, artworks, jewellery etc. IIRC, you get a certain amount of credits for your primary residence. You are liable for it if your net assets are 1.3M€ or more.

ISTM that the crux of the issue is this: is a person to be considered wealthy if their money is tied up in non-financial assets? I would argue that they should. As Doc Tor pointed out to leo, a person living in a £2 million home who finds themselves short of cash for other things has a rather simple solution available to them: sell the house and move into a cheaper one. In the case of the hypothetical granny who bought her house for 2’6” back in the day, she can buy a perfectly nice smaller house for a cool million quid (she most likely lives alone) and then put the rest in the bank for a *very* comfortable retirement. Her wealth is tied up in assets, but my hypothetical granny looks pretty wealthy to me.

OTOH there are plenty of people living in much smaller and less salubrious properties who can’t afford their heating, and they have no assets which they can potentially realise to do anything about it. Their options are considerably more limited. They are the people who should be regarded as genuinely impoverished.

All that said, I do think mansion tax is rather too blunt an instrument. If the government really wants to tax wealth, I think a properly thought-out wealth tax that takes into account all of a person’s assets is probably better than simply looking at their home.

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
In the case of the hypothetical granny who bought her house for 2’6” back in the day, she can buy a perfectly nice smaller house for a cool million quid (she most likely lives alone) and then put the rest in the bank for a *very* comfortable retirement. Her wealth is tied up in assets, but my hypothetical granny looks pretty wealthy to me.

This argument also completely ignores the emotional involvement one might have with a house. The house could be the one where our hypothetical granny first lived with her husband and brought up her children and which brings her a lot of treasured memories. The effect of the Central London Family Home Tax is to say ‘Tough. Pay up or get out’.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
In the case of the hypothetical granny who bought her house for 2’6” back in the day, she can buy a perfectly nice smaller house for a cool million quid (she most likely lives alone) and then put the rest in the bank for a *very* comfortable retirement. Her wealth is tied up in assets, but my hypothetical granny looks pretty wealthy to me.

This argument also completely ignores the emotional involvement one might have with a house. The house could be the one where our hypothetical granny first lived with her husband and brought up her children and which brings her a lot of treasured memories. The effect of the Central London Family Home Tax is to say ‘Tough. Pay up or get out’.
Believe it or not, the 'Bedroom tax' also has that emotional tie to the home, but while the granny you mention has realisable assets the benefits climaants are unlikely to have the resources to do that.

quote:
Believe it or not, the 'Bedroom tax' also has that emotional tie to the home, but while the granny you mention has realisable assets the benefits climaants are unlikely to have the resources to do that.

While this might be a harsh way of looking at things, our hypothetical granny is living in her own home, whereas our hypothetical subject of the spare room subsidy isn't.

quote:
quote:

While this might be a harsh way of looking at things, our hypothetical granny is living in her own home, whereas our hypothetical subject of the spare room subsidy isn't.
Damn right it's harsh, but why a home owner short of funds should be treated more favourably than a benefits recipient short of funds escapes me for the moment.

Posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider (# 76) on :

Because the latter's being funded out of Anglican't's taxes so he owns her ass, innit?

quote:
quote:

So those who through no fault of their own have never been able to afford their own property are not allowed the security of a 'home' but instead are treated like parcels to be passed around?

There might be some sense to the 'bedroom tax' if it encouraged people living in too-large properties to move elsewhere. However in very many areas the majority of social housing is family homes of at least three bedrooms, so those in two=bedroom flats have nowhere to downsize to.

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Because the latter's being funded out of Anglican't's taxes so he owns her ass, innit?

I'm afraid that it is a little bit more spiritual than that. Private property is the true religion of the English, and probably the British. So the old lady in her house represents a deep and august sacrament for the English psyche - anathema upon him who dares sully it or impugn it!

Whereas the council house tenant is there at the pleasure of the state, or shall I say displeasure; and most of them lie in bed, watch Sky TV, own horrible dogs, and generally don't strive. It is always best to keep them on their toes, through the threat of eviction, short tenancies, and so on.

quote:
Whereas the council house tenant is there at the pleasure of the state, or shall I say displeasure; and most of them lie in bed, watch Sky TV, own horrible dogs, and generally don't strive. It is always best to keep them on their toes, through the threat of eviction, short tenancies, and so on.

Well that’s your spin on things, not mine.

But if someone is living in a house that’s owned by the state, and taking more bedrooms than he needs, doesn’t that contravene the whole ‘to each according to his need’ thing?

quote:
quote:

But if someone is living in a house that’s owned by the state, and taking more bedrooms than he needs, doesn’t that contravene the whole ‘to each according to his need’ thing?

Not really, if a more suitable property isn't available, which is the main problem with the bedroom tax. You make it sound like claimants are are saying "nah, I'll take the four bed, don't fancy the smaller flat."

[ 21. November 2014, 15:10: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

And, don't forget, some of them drive white vans, and have England flags up at the window, as Ms Thornberry has helpfully shown us. Oh horror, horror, what chavvy little chavs they are, can't we find them a nice little bed in a shed somewhere?

Interesting culture differences between here and Germany - in DE lots of people rent, and rental prices are far far lower than here in the UK. Even in e.g. Munich, I could rent a decent 2 bedroom flat easy travel distance from the centre for about £400/month

Partly to do with land values. Here the property market and land is a form of speculative asset, whereas in many parts of Europe that is limited to a few major cities. The idea of a mansion tax whilst continuing to buffer the property speculation is not unlike deriving tax from ciggies and alcohol.

quote:
Any mansion tax is going to be unworkable for the simple reason that 99% of the country won't have property that falls into the £2,000,001 price range. same can be said of the welfare system as well.)

They won't stop at that.

Stamp duty used to be for the rich - not it's crept down to £130K - that's almost every house in the country.

Much as I would prefer the mansion tax to the bedroom tax, it is a flawed solution. It does seem a bit like Labour is seizing on an easy crowd-pleaser (like fox hunting?) instead of attacking the root of the problem. Taxing rich individuals and corporations should be the priority for any party concerned with social justice.

I don't think the contemporary Labour party is in any mood to begin to tax the rich. After all, since Blair took them off into neo-liberalism, they have been dazed and bewildered. Thus, the reported tweet of the white van man in Rochester is indicative I think - that they don't know who they are or what they stand for, so an apparent chav is a target for amusement, or whatever.

The mansion tax isn't even their idea - I think Vince Cable came up with it.

I don't even think that Labour particularly wants to win the next election, do they?

quote:
quote:

I haven't heard of a scheme to help benefits claimants in homes larger than they need to move to smaller homes. Do let me know if there is one.

If the government was serious about wasted housing then it would do something about the 750,000 empty homes in England alone (I'd better shut up now or I'll be done for crusading).

quote:
I don't think the contemporary Labour party is in any mood to begin to tax the rich. After all, since Blair took them off into neo-liberalism, they have been dazed and bewildered. Thus, the reported tweet of the white van man in Rochester is indicative I think - that they don't know who they are or what they stand for, so an apparent chav is a target for amusement, or whatever.

I don't even think that Labour particularly wants to win the next election, do they?

Well, they elected Ed Miliband as leader; QED

quote:
quote:
Any mansion tax is going to be unworkable for the simple reason that 99% of the country won't have property that falls into the £2,000,001 price range. same can be said of the welfare system as well.)

They won't stop at that.

Stamp duty used to be for the rich - not it's crept down to £130K - that's almost every house in the country.

As indeed was income tax. The Corn Laws on the other hand were a levy that benefitted the landed rich and penalised the poor, especially the urban poor.

quote:
quote:

Well, they elected Ed Miliband as leader; QED
Well, I think that's a symptom not a cause. The Thornberry tweet is quite revealing of their confusion. I think they've forgotten who they are, and what they stand for. They are still in a post-Blair hangover. What's even more amazing is that the Tories are not twenty points ahead.

quote:
quote:

They won't stop at that.

£125K in fact.

As you were

quote:
Cole Porter's song was nothing at all to do with a quiz show, it was about choosing True Love over money - it was written for High Society and sung by Frank Sinatra and Celeste Holm.

Your bit about Richard Benyon MP is not quite correct.

No, I'm not an apologist for Mr Benyon but one should get one's facts right.

Thank you for more information than I had found in the media about Benyon. I suppose I should really be wondering just what the Lever family were doing selling New Era off.

And I was perfectly well aware that the song came from High Society. But the line was used for the quiz show, rather as the name Big Brother was used for a "reality" show, and I do feel that this cuts such phrases off from their roots so that for many people the secondary meaning becomes primary. The quiz show was about becoming rich, quite possibly encouraging envy, not about turning one's back on wealth for love, and thus not envying it.

quote:

OK, so now we're getting somewhere.

Well yes. You have stopped repeating your arguments that a subset of nurses would be put off work by having to pay a tiny fraction of market rents in order to live in a house that is better than average. Or that someone rich would insist on being paid the market rate in order that they could then save on taxes.

quote:

The mansion tax as proposed would go after someone who bought a house in London in the 1970s and doesn't own any other major asset, but would totally miss out on a person from abroad who owns 5 flats in Chelsea, none of which is occupied. So it is wrong, in my view. The second person is wealthy, the first just bought property a long time ago.

It is surprising to me how many large houses are occupier by the mythical pensioner-on-a-breadline. Perhaps it's a good thing if such people move to the seaside, thus freeing up their houses to be used by hard working families who work in the city.

I find it difficult to get so excised about it. The support for a wealth tax (contrary to what you may think - is generally very low), if this shifts the Overton window, then I think it's a reasonable first step. It kicks in at a level of 250 per month after a threshold of 2M - which is approximately equivalent to the amount you'd pay in council tax for a house above £320K in many parts of the country. Council tax is capped - so one could perfectly easily argue that the combination ends up being somewhat progressive. In real terms, the largest amounts are going to be coming in from people with houses valued at a lot more than 2M.

If it causes a few people to split their £2M houses into 2 £1M flats, then good - that'll probably increase the number of people actually living in some of the more ghostlier areas in the capital.

quote:
Perhaps it's a good thing if such people move to the seaside, thus freeing up their houses to be used by hard working families who work in the city..

And die lonely because they have left all their friends behind and dont know anybody in Eastbourne or wherever.

(possibly related) tangent:

What I've loved about all the people getting worked up about the 'bedroom' tax and citing attachment to area, house, etc is this:

When a cleric dies in-post their widow(er) and children immediately lose their home; they will be given a period of grace of a maximum of 3 months but they have to get out - and in many cases this means that at a time when their life is already thrown into disarray they have to move area, find a (new) job, move schools, etc.

Where are the church protests about that?

tangent/ rant over

As for the, "good, better 2 x £1m flats than 1 £2m house" mentality - I almost lose the will to live...

Compare and contrast the couple in a house they scrimped and scraped to save from the wrecking ball and then laboured for many years to bring back to good repair - but because it happens to be Georgian and in the 'right' part of London its now worth £2m plus. Neither have ever had a well-paid job - that's why they bought the wreck; now they look after grandchildren. Yet they'll pay the mansion tax.

But the couple who have a portfolio of 100 + rental properties won't pay a penny.

It is POINTLESS trying to justify, let alone work out the mechanics of, a tax that is inherently unfair and as full of holes as a collander just because 'its for the NHS' - and no responsible politician or party would base any real plans on it for a moment.

The tax 'take' for the UK is pretty well known, give or take a few quid: if any party wants to make plans it must work within the constraints of what money it can reasonably and responsibly rely upon having. If any party can't make their sums add up their is something wrong with the sums - not with the amount of money - and they need to think again. Its unfortunate for Labour and the Eds that this means difficult choices needing to be made between spending on the NHS, Pensions or on the Welfare budget, but since those are the largest items on the national housekeeping bill, those are the ones that need to be looked at.

quote:
The tax 'take' for the UK is pretty well known, give or take a few quid: if any party wants to make plans it must work within the constraints of what money it can reasonably and responsibly rely upon having.

Unfortunately, your calculations and your conclusion are broken. HMRC reckons on tax evasion being around £22bn. Independent calculations put that at some £80bn. The NHS as a total costs around £110bn.

So there seems to be plenty of slack in the system to pay for the things that 99% of us want. I could also mention the staggering £1tn that the bank bailouts cost us, and we seemed to find that quickly enough when it was broke bankers with their hands out.

My suggestion would be to make sure that tax is actually collected: most people can't avoid tax, because it comes out at source, so increase the scrutiny and compliance on those who seem to be able to avoid it with impunity.

Posted by Ahleal V (# 8404) on :

quote:
quote:
Perhaps it's a good thing if such people move to the seaside, thus freeing up their houses to be used by hard working families who work in the city..

And die lonely because they have left all their friends behind and dont know anybody in Eastbourne or wherever.
...and whilst this may seem cheeky and tangential, the fact that they raised their children at St Mark's by the Gasworks, Londontahn and faithfully served on the PCC for 40 years? Well, that legacy they were always planning to give to the long-suffering St Mark's with no endowment? Sorry, nope. They moved to Eastbourne, and didn't find their new church to be to their taste.

Such a scenario has been played out in my parents church again and again...

x

AV

posted by Doc Tor
quote:
I could also mention the staggering £1tn that the bank bailouts cost us, and we seemed to find that quickly enough when it was broke bankers with their hands out.
The UK was able to use QE because we have and control our own central bank: and QE money didn't bail-out anyone - what it did was buy a number of packages of bonds which were otherwise unsaleable because of the near zero interest rate.

What bailed out the banks - was the money this freed up in large wholesale banks so they began to lend again to industry, and retail banks so people could continue having things like mortgages, etc.

The sort of bond-selling that got the retail banks into trouble in the first place is something that, IMO, should not be happening within the same institution as one which is responsible for holding retail savings and mortgage accounts.

The bail-out was in fact largely done by other bank customers - especially those with accounts with Halifax, Lloyds, TSB and C&G, with the Bank of England giving extended credit to RBS/NatWest to keep them afloat.

In fact Lloyds TSB should never have been allowed to beggar themselves by, in effect, paying top dollar for a bankrupt bank: it is questionable whether or not such a takeover would have been allowed (in fact they were almost forced to do it in the end) if the bank in question wasn't a Scots institution...

quote:
posted by Doc Tor
quote:
I could also mention the staggering £1tn that the bank bailouts cost us, and we seemed to find that quickly enough when it was broke bankers with their hands out.
The UK was able to use QE because we have and control our own central bank: and QE money didn't bail-out anyone - what it did was buy a number of packages of bonds which were otherwise unsaleable because of the near zero interest rate.

What bailed out the banks - was the money this freed up in large wholesale banks so they began to lend again to industry, and retail banks so people could continue having things like mortgages, etc.

"Let's pretend it wasn't a bank bail out, but it was really." [Roll Eyes]

Posted by Adeodatus (# 4992) on :

quote:

It's really not, you know. A mile from where I live (in a modern, spacious, 2-bed apartment in a nice part of town, that I bought last year for less than £125k) you can buy perfectly good 2- or 3-bed terraced houses for £60-70k. The neighbourhood isn't quite as nice as where I live, and public transport isn't quite as good, but they're there.

When it comes to the mansion tax, if you want a property worth over £2million within 10 miles of the centre of Manchester, your £2million will typically get you a 5- or 6-bedroom house in an acre or more of land, in a Cheshire village on the edge of the conurbation where premier league footballers tend to live.

Posted by Lucia (# 15201) on :

Well yes of course this is a problem in particular areas of the country, especially the south east. But people do actually need to live in those areas, either for work, or because they need to be near family or simply because this is home for them and relocating just to buy a cheaper home is not always an option people feel able to take.

Anyway, I just had a look on Rightmove for the county I used to live in before I left the UK. There are no houses currently for sale for less than £130000 listed in the country, apart from shared ownership schemes, park homes or boats to live on.

Sorry, missed the edit window..

I meant "listed in the county ..."

quote:
Originally posted by Lucia:
Well yes of course this is a problem in particular areas of the country, especially the south east. But people do actually need to live in those areas, either for work, or because they need to be near family or simply because this is home for them and relocating just to buy a cheaper home is not always an option people feel able to take.

Indeed, but if they can afford a £2 million house, they are by definition extremely rich and can afford the tax.

If we're talking about stamp duty, then there's a good argument for the threshold for that going up, I'll grant.

[ 24. November 2014, 13:23: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

Posted by alienfromzog (# 5327) on :

This is getting tedious.

People who whine about the mansion tax pick out real (or potential?) examples of negative impacts of the tax to suggest it is desperately unfair or unworkable.

As if all other taxes don't have distorting effects at all.

What Britain really needs is a proper land-value tax (and I say that as a private landlord) and this is a good first step and from what I've seen the specific exemptions for cash-poor, asset rich individual cases aren't bad either.

The worst that can be said about the 'Mansion tax' is that is might have a negative effect on some overheated parts of the housing market - holding values down to avoid the tax... oh wait, that's a good thing too...

AFZ

I was commenting on Stamp duty, not mansion tax.

Posted by Erroneous Monk (# 10858) on :

My support for the mansion tax would increase if government would increase housebuilding in the South East, thereby decreasing the value of my property to the extent that I can be sure I'll never pay it.

What seems hard for London families with two jobs, and then some, is that despite their home being valued at a 7-figure sum, they have in practical terms a lower standard of living than their peers in the rest of the country. The house, probably Victorian, is in poor condition - rising damp, leaking roof, leaking window frames that can't be replaced with an affordable alternative because of planning regulations, no parking, no garden, no loft, no storage space, and certainly no spare room.

It's fine - it's adequate - it's ours - it's a roof and four walls. But the idea that it might be fair for their to be an extra tax burden on it because there is a shortage of property in the south east, when other much more luxurious homes don't attract that tax seems....unfair.

So - build more homes in the south east, so that property prices become more equal. Then set any property tax at a level where it catches people who demonstrably have a better standard of living because of their property "wealth".

Is your house worth anything like £2million, EM? If I had an asset like that I'd flog it, buy something similar in a nicer part of the country for about a tenth of the value, invest the money and live off the income.

I actually think we don't need more housebuilding in the SE. We need to consider ways to decentralise the economy so that people don't have to move there to find work.

[ 25. November 2014, 14:03: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

Posted by Erroneous Monk (# 10858) on :

quote:
Is your house worth anything like £2million, EM? If I had an asset like that I'd flog it, buy something similar in a nicer part of the country for about a tenth of the value, invest the money and live off the income.

I actually think we don't need more housebuilding in the SE. We need to consider ways to decentralise the economy so that people don't have to move there to find work.

Nowhere near £2m, but might be edging towards 7 figures. I would love to live somewhere else - I'm from Lancashire, and when I was growing up, I always assumed I'd live near the West Pennine moors, be near family, commute to Manchester for work.

I have two different degenerative eye conditions and I lost my driving licence about 14 years ago. So the only way I can have any independence, get my children places and work is to live close to public transport in an area with really good public transport. Add to that the fact that my in-laws are in their 90s, and my husband isn't going to be moving away from them any time soon, and I tend to accept I'm stuck down here.

I don't want to live off released equity right now. I am able to work, and for me personally, it's important to do my bit to contribute to the economy through earning and paying tax and spending.

We've got to find a way to keep it practical for people to live in London. Not just what we might think of as essential workers, but I believe it's in society's interests for, for example, the city to draw its workforce from a much wider pool than the traditional elite.

Sympathy for EM (though public transport in Manchester is not bad). Obviously London will continue to be not just the political but also the commercial and creative capital for the foreseeable future. But this ought to be balanced by government policy actively directing more job-creating industries to less favoured, and less expensive, areas of the country. It is nonsense to build more and more houses in the southeast when in all our northern cities there are streets and streets of boarded-up houses, and much brownfield land which could be be developed. Laisser-faire is a nonsense, and would end up with a gridlocked southeast and a windswept desert everywhere else.

Having said that, a 'mansion tax' is only a partial solution if that, to the problems of the south-east. Labour needs to be much more bold in confronting the massive inequality in wealth, not just between north and south, but between the super-rich and everyone else (which of course includes most people in London).

Posted by betjemaniac (# 17618) on :

quote:

Very much this - I'm currently on my second or third reading of Tristram Hunt's "Building Jerusalem," about the growth of the Victorian city, and not for the first time thnking that there might be something in this "city regions" stuff that both Labour and the Tories have been coming out with lately. We need to be so much less London centric in both how the country is organised, and how the country thinks (at least in terms of England). The first is achievable, the second less so - but the first is probably a step in the right direction.

I'm broadly a One Nation conservative, but there's a lot to be said for the Jo Chamberlain school of civic nationalism as seen in 19th century Birmingham..

quote:
Sympathy for EM (though public transport in Manchester is not bad). Obviously London will continue to be not just the political but also the commercial and creative capital for the foreseeable future. But this ought to be balanced by government policy actively directing more job-creating industries to less favoured, and less expensive, areas of the country. It is nonsense to build more and more houses in the southeast when in all our northern cities there are streets and streets of boarded-up houses, and much brownfield land which could be be developed. Laisser-faire is a nonsense, and would end up with a gridlocked southeast and a windswept desert everywhere else.

Exactly - by reducing the population flow into London and the SE from "the regions" (those of us here call it "Britain") by providing opportunities elsewhere the pressure on accommodation would be eased and the ridiculous price inflation stemmed. Building more and more houses in areas with high demand unfortunately may merely do a similar thing to adding lanes to busy motorways - encourage yet more use and pressure.

One of my great fears is that my children will have to move to the SE to pursue careers. I wouldn't be able to afford to follow them.

[ 25. November 2014, 15:15: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

quote:

One of my great fears is that my children will have to move to the SE to pursue careers. I wouldn't be able to afford to follow them.

That's true. One of our daughters is working in the Big Smoke already, while the other finds that most of her local friends have departed there in search of jobs.

[ 26. November 2014, 08:32: Message edited by: Angloid ]

quote:
quote:

That's true. One of our daughters is working in the Big Smoke already, while the other finds that most of her local friends have departed there in search of jobs.
Not to mention the fact that one of the knock-on effects of the Tory belief that people should just up sticks and move around the country every few years in search of work is that their elderly relatives end up with no-one to look after them and costing money to social services.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Not to mention the fact that one of the knock-on effects of the Tory belief that people should just up sticks and move around the country every few years in search of work is that their elderly relatives end up with no-one to look after them and costing money to social services.
Ahem - "Thatcherite belief" - a Tory belief would be in settled communities with everyone finding their place (you may prefer "knowing" but putting that to one side).

Those of us on the left of the party are still hoping Thatcherism will blow over. Even forlorn hopes are hopes, after all.

Posted by Albertus (# 13356) on :

Small tangent: interesting to see Jon Cruddas MP nominating Roger Scruton's How to be a conservative as his his book of the year in the Staggers a couple of weeks ago. I'm coming to think that the most important ideological divide is between Thatcherites/liberals (including quite a lot of the 'Guardian'-writing left) on the one hand and those of us- Blue or Red- who believe in community and settlement, on the other.

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Small tangent: interesting to see Jon Cruddas MP nominating Roger Scruton's How to be a conservative as his his book of the year in the Staggers a couple of weeks ago. I'm coming to think that the most important ideological divide is between Thatcherites/liberals (including quite a lot of the 'Guardian'-writing left) on the one hand and those of us- Blue or Red- who believe in community and settlement, on the other.

[Overused]

Nail. Head.

Posted by Alogon (# 5513) on :

At one time in America, taxes were levied on houses according to the number and size of their windows. I've heard worse ideas.

In any case, there should be a distinction between the value of a building itself and that of the underlying land. According to some estimates, the property I bought in 1986 has more than doubled in value. This must be almost entirely because the land has appreciated. The building was a small, somewhat declasse fixer-upper when I acquired it and still is. Moth and rust do corrupt... at some point in the future it will worthless and need to be torn down. It is the land that has appreciated. Buy land, counseled Mark Twain, because they're not making it anymore.

As for wealth and the unearned income on it, I was shocked to see how high a percentile some estimates put me in. These are life savings. Forty years ago I was practically insolvent. By dint of frugality, I have done no more than They Say everyone should do in preparation for retirement. I may soon need it to meet basic exenses. To the extent that it earns income, the principal is at risk. Please God, any outright "wealth tax" had better take into account at least the age of the owner.

We had window tax, too. You can still see houses with bricked up windows where the owners decided on some tax avoidance.

Ahem - the US had our (British) window tax - came in in 1696 when they were still colonies.

Not all bricked-up windows are from avoiding old window tax: they also came about as houses were added to and windows needed to be put elsewhere.

Did wonder about it being the same tax (only without representation, of course) but didn't know the dates.

Posted by marzipan (# 9442) on :

Perhaps a tax based on house values would weigh heavier on certain areas of the country. So how about something that taxes under-occupied or unoccupied property? There's already a head count of adults living in a property in England and Wales for council tax and voting purposes, so that information could be cross referenced with a registry of property sizes.
Charge the owner of the property a tax on a sliding scale based on floor area compared to adult occupants.
A reasonable sized 2 or 3 bedroom house is about 100 square metres, so maybe allow 50 square metres per adult inhabitant (and a bit less per child). Maximum tax charged to properties that are entirely empty. No tax charged to properties that are counted as 'full'.
This would encourage property owners to keep houses etc in a habitable condition so that they can get tenants, and help to ease pressure on the rental markets as more people would be encouraged to get lodgers etc.

quote:
Originally posted by marzipan:
Perhaps a tax based on house values would weigh heavier on certain areas of the country. So how about something that taxes under-occupied or unoccupied property?

The government has beaten you to it, with the 'bedroom tax' which reduces Housing Benefit for those occupying, as you say, a home larger than fits their needs.

It only applies to benefits recipients however.

Posted by Albertus (# 13356) on :

I think what marzipan has in mind is actually some form of Land Value Taxation, which is used in some countries around the world.

Posted by marzipan (# 9442) on :

I know about the 'spare bedroom tax'. I was suggesting something similar for the people who actually own the property, rather than the ones who live in it (also, applied to owner occupiers and private rental rather than council housing).
Edit: the idea of it being based on floor area rather than value was to even out the difference in property prices across the country (also it would be less likely to need re assessing often)

[ 29. November 2014, 22:02: Message edited by: marzipan ]

quote:
Originally posted by marzipan:
I know about the 'spare bedroom tax'. I was suggesting something similar for the people who actually own the property, rather than the ones who live in it (also, applied to owner occupiers and private rental rather than council housing).

I wasn't being entirely serious, just pointing out that the government already does it for those who are least able to afford it!

We have become used to that over the last seven years or so.

© Ship of Fools 2016