Thread: Le grand tour d'orfeo Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=028945

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

Well, I said backstage at some point I'd mention this, so here goes.

I'll be in Europe for the whole of April, or very close to it. I'm going to a conference for work in the middle of April (in Edinburgh) but holidaying on either side of it.

The itinerary is: Amsterdam, Paris, Dunstable, London, Edinburgh, Reykjavik, Copenhagen.

In terms of meeting anyone, the most likely bets are Paris (which I'm in for the Easter weekend) and Edinburgh the day after the conference (Saturday 18th) about which there's been some noises back in the Host's lounge.

I know there's folk in London but I might be a bit busy - possibly could squeeze something in on the weekend of 11th/12th if demand is high but not certain.

I've got time in Amsterdam, Reykjavik and Copenhagen but I'm not sure we even have anyone in those places.

Posted by North East Quine (# 13049) on :

I'd be up for a meet in Edinburgh.

Posted by Dafyd (# 5549) on :

I would like to be up for a meet in Edinburgh.

I might well have a two week old baby (plus toddler) at that point, in which case I would have to ask my wife very nicely if she could spare me.

Posted by Cottontail (# 12234) on :

Another one for Edinburgh!

Posted by Jack the Lass (# 3415) on :

I (possibly we) could probably be there for Edinburgh too.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

Dunstable? You must have done something pretty bad to be sent to Dunstable.

Dunstable Downs are lovely! (*and* they have wild wallabies there)

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

I'd be up for a London meet

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

I'd be up for a London meet too. What would you like to fit into your London visit?

quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:

What makes you think they're especially wild?

As I recall, they have albino wallabies. Assuming it's the same place.

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Dunstable? You must have done something pretty bad to be sent to Dunstable.

I befriended a boy when I was 12. Little did I know.

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

Nothing, I've barely given it a thought other than noting their existence. But they're not in the zoo (from which, presumably, they originally escaped) so living free and unenclosed. That's all.

Oh, right! NOT the ones in the zoo. Well, that's exciting.

Well, it's "exciting" if they bounce across the road like the kangaroos do around here...

Posted by Chocoholic (# 4655) on :

We also have quite a few parakeet flocks around here which can surprise visitors but I'm guessing you'll be used to those too.

If you are visiting Holland with time to spare can I recommend Keukenhof gardens and surrounding tulip growing areas, should be amazing at that time of year.

ooh... well, there are buses for day trips from Amsterdam...

Will have to think about that one!

PS Here is home to the largest flower show in the *southern* hemisphere, so it takes a bit for me to go ooh.

[ 15. March 2015, 12:57: Message edited by: orfeo ]

Posted by Jengie jon (# 273) on :

Alright Britain's Wild Wallabies. I am not sure how many there are at present. Though you'd be fortunate to see one.

Jengie

Posted by Heavenly Anarchist (# 13313) on :

quote:
quote:
quote:

Nothing, I've barely given it a thought other than noting their existence. But they're not in the zoo (from which, presumably, they originally escaped) so living free and unenclosed. That's all.
I used to work in Dunstable as a teenager and often saw wallabies in the Downs [Smile]

Posted by Sarasa (# 12271) on :

I might be up for a London meet.

Posted by Qoheleth. (# 9265) on :

I could be up for a London meet, more likely the Saturday sometime

Posted by Tubbs (# 440) on :

I can do London and possibly Dunstable. If it's Dunstable, I may have company, depending on the times.

Tubbs

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
Alright Britain's Wild Wallabies. I am not sure how many there are at present. Though you'd be fortunate to see one.

Jengie

Ladies and gentlemen, I think it's safe to say my purpose in travelling to the other side of the world is not to see how my local wildlife is doing once transplanted. Thanks all the same.

If you lot had understood their capacity to evade fences...

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

Easter weekend in Paris doesn't look good for me. [Waterworks] But I do hope to be in Sydney in September.

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

I'm not in the Netherlands in April, otherwise you'd be welcome. Amsterdam and the Keukenhof are nice, but if you want to sample something of the 'real' Netherlands, also try to go to another city, like Haarlem or Utrecht.

Posted by Wet Kipper (# 1654) on :

do we have a quorum for setting up of an Edinburgh meet thread yet ?

Posted by Derf (# 2093) on :

We might be interested in an Edinburgh meet (she says without consulting her diary) if that makes you quorate.

Posted by kingsfold (# 1726) on :

I've got something on in the morning of April 18th , but could hot foot it over to Edinburgh immediately afterwards. At a guess could be across for about 13:30...

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

I make it at around 6 to 8 for Edinburgh at least.

Sorry London folk, I just don't think I can confirm my availability. Murphy's Law says that I'll then end up having plenty of time, but at the moment with personal meet-ups semi-planned with uncertain timing, I couldn't say for sure when I'd be free.

Edinburgh I'm pretty sure I can do, although I do have to double-check because apparently there's going to be some sightseeing type stuff associated with the conference, and if there's anything I'm really keen on there might be a conflict. But last I heard there was talk of a trip to Stirling and I've already been to Stirling - and remember enough to not feel the need for a repeat.

I'll should be able to check for Edinburgh within a couple of days.

Hello Edinburgh.

So, Saturday 18 April would clearly be my best day (could do something like brunch on Sunday 19 at a pinch before flying to Reykjavik!).

Apparently someone from the conference is planning a walk up Arthur's Seat on Saturday morning, which'd be nice (I didn't go up there on my only previous visit), so afternoon or evening would be best.

Apparently there is also a plan for golf on Bruntsfield Links in the afternoon but not sure exactly when, but I'm less fussed about that. I suppose Saturday evening might be better than afternoon but I'm happy to do the afternoon if that's suitable for more people.

Oh, and I'm staying in the Old Town (South Bridge) if that helps with options for venues.

[ 23. March 2015, 00:08: Message edited by: orfeo ]

Golf on Bruntsfield Links won't be "Real Golf"™
It's a pitch-and-putt course on a piece of land no bigger than 2 footbal fields, with various paths across it with people waking past.

^ I know. That's exactly how they're selling it - for those people who don't normally play golf but will go OMG I'm in Scotland.

Posted by Jane R (# 331) on :

Were you planning to stop off in York at any point?

[ 23. March 2015, 12:07: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Only if the London-Edinburgh train slows down a lot.

Posted by Jane R (# 331) on :

[Cool]

I'd come to the Edinburgh meet, but we're going to be away that weekend.

Posted by Tree Bee (# 4033) on :

I'm near Dunstable and could meet, depending on the day and time.

Well, anything in Dunstable would have to be during the week (I'm there Tuesday 7 - Friday 10 April), and would have to work around my best friend and his family... which isn't impossible, as I may want a break from his two darling little girls at some point...

Life's gone a bit crazy for me as I'm organising my father in law's funeral along with everything that goes with that.
So if you and Tubbs organise a Dunstable meet I will happily join you if I'm free!

Edinburgh meet. Saturday 18 April, afternoon or evening. Somewhere convenient for South Bridge. Can we fix a time and place? Suggestions?

I would be more disposed to an afternoon - which suggests a pub or cafe drop by structure.

My favourite Old Town pub is the Bow Bar in Victoria St - but the furnishings/layout doesn't lend itself very well to casual agglomeration - though the beer is good.

In cafes, there's the Dovecot Studios in Infirmary St. Biblios, on the corner of Chambers St - anyone been there? Or the Revolution Bar at the other end of Chambers St? Actually, if it's casual eating, the Nando's on George IV Bridge is pleasant (I have a high tolerance for piri-piri chicken wings). The Elephant House has the big table - but the queuing up for food makes for very disjointed proceedings IMO.

Back to pubs - I like The Doctors on Forrest Road. They had some good ciders on when I was last in.

As a clergy-type with a long journey home, I'd prefer an afternoon too, or early evening. And also thinking about how incredibly busy South Bridge will be come Saturday evening ...

I like Firenze's idea of a drop-by. Doctors' would get my vote for that, as it is big enough, and you can order some nachos'n'stuff as-and-when, and not worry about booking or all arriving at a specific time. Biblios might be similar, but I've never tried it. And it is close to Nandos if people want to progress to there. Maybe we could suggest a window, such as 4-7pm, or something like that?

Afternoon would suit me better, as a late evening meet would mean having to stay over. I'm not a fan of Nandos, but would go if that was the popular choice.

I haven't been to the Doctors, but am always keen to try out somewhere new.

I'm hoping that both Full of Chips and myself might be there.

I won't be able to do late afternoon or evening. I might be able to do mid afternoon, depending on Dafling jr.

Here's a link to The Doctors website for them as don't know it.

I would favour an earlier kick off than 4 - say 2.

Orfeo - when do finish clambering over extinct volcanoes?

Also, a start at the Doctors still leaves plenty of options for migrating to a restaurant at some point later on. I was very taken with the Japanese one - Tang - at the top of Candlemaker Row. And the Namaste Kathmandu is always reliable.

Doctors has Shipmeet pedigree, having been a stopping point for one of the Mad Tours years ago.

I'm not sure now if I can make this meet. The Elf Lass is at that age now where she needs a bit more entertaining, so a pub/restaurant meet might just be a bit stressful (she's usually good, but I don't want to inflict a bored baby on the group!). If she was a bit older we could nip out to the National Museum if she'd needed a change of scene and a runaround, but I don't think she'd appreciate that just yet. I'll keep an eye on the thread and if she's OK on the day then might head on over to Edinburgh and pop in if it's just a pub meet, but probably best to assume we're not coming for now.

quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:
Doctors has Shipmeet pedigree, having been a stopping point for one of the Mad Tours years ago.

I remember we went to Edinburgh as part of the Mad Tour but couldn't have told you the name of the pub. Whoever would have thought that just a few years later I would have moved to the other end of the country and ended up working just over the road from there! Funny old world.

I'd be fine to start at 2pm. Would probably suit better, in fact. Or if Orfeo will still be hitting wee white balls around Brunstsfield, we could split the difference and go for 3pm.

I think the clambering over extinct volcanoes starts at 10, so it's not a factor for anything in the afternoon. If it's not over in time for lunch I will be creating a diplomatic incident.

Hitting white balls... No idea. Don't worry about it. I'll see if I can find out more but I wouldn't wait on that information.

Posted by Smudgie (# 2716) on :

Exceedingly shocked that you're being so skimpy with your London availability, though I guess I shouldn't mutter too much about it seeing as I'm away the weekend you mentioned.

You'll just have to pop over and visit some other time! [Razz]

We'll watch and see what you decide and maybe join you - I've got to be north of the river for a service at 1pm (who thought services on a Saturday were a good idea?!), but as far as I know scz and the sczlet have no plans. I presume that as you can reserve a table including children Doctors is licensed for small ones (if that's the final decision on location).

If the Elflet and sczlet were around I think would improve the probability of being available no end by bringing the Dafling major.

I'm sure the sczlet would love to see the Dafling major again [Smile] Can you persuade Mrs Dafyd to come along with the Dafling minor so we can all coo?

I'll point scz in this direction and see what he has to say.

I / We (probably we) would prefer a 2pm or 3pm start to a 4pm start. And I'd love to coo over assorted small people.

quote:
Originally posted by Derf:
I'm sure the sczlet would love to see the Dafling major again [Smile] Can you persuade Mrs Dafyd to come along with the Dafling minor so we can all coo?

It's possible. She says she'll see how she is on the day.

Sorry London, I probably DID have time for something as other plans didn't all go to plan. Bit late now. Leaving Tuesday morning, and having drink/dinner with RELIABLE friend on Monday night.

Edinburgh, see you soon...

Posted by strathclydezero (# 180) on :

I'd be up for Saturday afternoon - I'll check back for arrangements.

I have bought my train tickets. It'll just be me; Full of Chips can't make it.

Are we agreed on Doctors? Will somebody have to book it? Time?

I need to go down to Greyfriars later today, so I can pop into The Doctors, check their small child policy, and reckie the table-booking front.

OK, I've checked: only children of 5 years or more are allowed in the pub, and only if a meal is being consumed. this last provision is, apparently, common to all pubs in Scotland.

So that looks as if it rules out licensed premises for the kind of dropby I was thinking of.

Anyone got any suggestions?

One of the cafes at the National Museum? I'm thinking of the one overlooking the main hall. I don't know how busy it would be on a Saturday afternoon.

There's also a Caffe Nero in Blackwell's (entry via Infirmary St) - and the Dovecot gallery cafe a little further down. Both very proximate to orfeo's hotel. Or the cafe in the Festival Theatre.

Somewhat belatedly catching up with this... sometime around 2pm/3pm will be good for me.
And wherever - I'm no help for destination suggestions!

Have arrived. I swear, it took only about 10 minutes of wandering to remember how much I LIKE this city.

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

A whole ten minutes? [Big Grin]

I'm dead envious - I love Edinburgh. Hope you have a wonderful time.

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
A whole ten minutes?

He had to find his way out of Waverley Station.

I'm on Solo Parenting duty for both the Kipperlets on Saturday. Not sure of the merits of bringing them both in to Embra for an afternoon, especially as Younger Kipperlet still naps between 1 and 3 of an afternoon.
I'll pay attention for a venue, and we'll see.

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:
A whole ten minutes?

He had to find his way out of Waverley Station.
I confess that my initial attempt to get up to the bridge - and hence on to North Bridge and then South Bridge - was not successful, and I had to wind my way up to the correct altitude by another route. One of Edinburgh's fascinating qualities is how a 2-dimensional street map is inadequate.

It all came back to me when the hotel reception explained that they, at street level, were on the 4th floor and my room was on the 3rd. In most places that would make no sense. In Edinburgh it makes perfect sense. I am indeed a few stories above the street; it's just a different street.

I see there is upcoming industrial action at the National Museum of Scotland this week. As I never like to cross a picket line, perhaps not the cafe there?

My vote is for the cafe in the Festival Theatre in Nicolson St from 2.30ff (when I would aim to be there). It's central, ground level access and glass fronted - so easy to spot.

I don't know if tables are reservable - I'll try and check tomorrow. If not, I've had success before in turning up in a crowd and simply spreading over a couple.

Unless anyone has any other ideas?

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
My vote is for the cafe in the Festival Theatre in Nicolson St from 2.30ff (when I would aim to be there). It's central, ground level access and glass fronted - so easy to spot.

Sounds good. Mrs Dafyd won't be coming, so neither will Dafling minor. I think Dafling major is likely to prefer to stay with her mum.
(I will have photos on my phone. If my arm is twisted I might reluctantly have to show them to people.)

I realise I have no idea of numbers - so have not pursued the table idea. Have also been cursed with stomach bug the last day or so, but hope to be able to stagger out tomorrow.

OK, am working on premise of 2.30pm Festival Theatre Cafe, Nicolson St. It looks like I just need to get out on North Bridge and keep going until I get there? That's simpler than I thought it might be...

[ 17. April 2015, 16:24: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

From North Bridge, 5 or 6 minutes walk - can't miss it, glass frontage with zonking great posters for upcoming productions, and just opposite Surgeon's Hall (zonking great pillars). Cafe is on the left as you go in.

Posted by strathclydezero (# 180) on :

2:30pm sounds good - see you all there.

I will be there for about 2.30pm, and look forward very much to seeing folks.

Hope you are feeling better tomorrow, Firenze.

*looks up Festival Theatre*

Piece of cake!

The tricky bit is I don't know what any of you look like and vice versa!

[ 18. April 2015, 00:26: Message edited by: orfeo ]

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

quote:
I've always found shipmates easy to pick. A certain je ne sais quoi.

I've only ever been to one Ship-meet; I arrived first and when two of the others arrived I was fairly sure they were the people I was expecting but I was too much of a wuss to introduce myself straight away. [Hot and Hormonal]

Just to confuse things I'll be there too. It seemed like an entertaining way to spend a Saturday after an *interesting * week.

Scz is in the gallery if that helps....

Anyway, I'll be the 6ft man with short balding hair, probably a blue tshirt and purple jumper and a need to lose layers the moment he comes inside the overheated building.

quote:
I've only ever been to one Ship-meet; I arrived first and when two of the others arrived I was fairly sure they were the people I was expecting but I was too much of a wuss to introduce myself straight away. [Hot and Hormonal]

I did the same to you, Piglet. So quid pro quo. [Smile]

[ 18. April 2015, 08:27: Message edited by: Cottontail ]

Scz will have the sczlet in tow who is 3.5 and has her hair in a ponytail. Green coat and purple shoes.

I may or may not manage to join you later depending how long this service goes on for. Have fun!

Crocheted ubertop in greens, blues, purples etc.

5'2" greying hair, glasses (probably), green flowery back pack, black coat (maybe), khaki clothes.

My normal device for London meets is bring mugs, but I wasn't thinking properly that far in advance. The other trick I've done is draw avatars. One time I was sitting near someone I thought looked likely and he wasn't sure about approaching the three of us (daughter and Ultracrepidarian) so I started drawing, and he introduced himself. It also helped everyone else find us.

Right, that's over. Let future visitors be warned: the locals here will put you through terrifying rituals such as "chatting" and "eating cake".

Your martyrdom by carrot cake impressed us all.

And here was I thinking that the graceful figure I cut in my new kilt was going to be the key to getting the populace onside.

[ 18. April 2015, 18:12: Message edited by: orfeo ]

Particularly interesting tartan that kilt. Does this mean you didn't get to the opera?

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
quote:
I've always found shipmates easy to pick. A certain je ne sais quoi.
Indeed. Lothlorien and I met while crossing a Sydney street!

Posted by Vulpior (# 12744) on :

quote:
And here was I thinking that the graceful figure I cut in my new kilt was going to be the key to getting the populace onside.

Kilt! Will there be pics? Or perhaps kilts could be encouraged for the next local shipmeet.

quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
quote:
... I was too much of a wuss to introduce myself straight away.

I did the same to you, Piglet. So quid pro quo. [Smile]
That makes me feel much better.

Vulpior's right, Orfeo - you really must post some pictures. Enquiring minds need to know ... [Biased]

No pictures by common consent

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
No pictures by common consent

Chickens!

Moo

Some of us have had to sign restrictive employment agreements on social media and internet presence. I may not like my job , but I want to leave it under my own steam.

Posted by Vulpior (# 12744) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Some of us have had to sign restrictive employment agreements on social media and internet presence. I may not like my job , but I want to leave it under my own steam.

That sounds extremely restrictive. Never fear, though; while it would be pleasant to see the delightful countenances of Scottish shipmates, I was simply after seeing orfeo in a kilt!

Alas, the kilt was destroyed during an unfortunate accident on my wild Saturday night, and I won't be bringing it back home where you might view it.

The same accident also ruined my yellow stockings, cross-gartered, and my Roman centurion's uniform. Shame, really.

quote:
Alas, the kilt was destroyed during an unfortunate accident on my wild Saturday night, and I won't be bringing it back home where you might view it.

I wondered about the sirens and the gunfire.

Looking out on a chill grey morning, I see you got the best of the weather.

(For those not here, yesterday was one of those pellucid days of intense blue sky and sharp, brilliant sunlight that the Scottish Spring does so well. And so infrequently.)

There was a fun run this morning. Of COURSE it was grey and miserable.

Meanwhile, I have left Edinburgh and arrived in a land of grey half-light, wind and tinted windows. Technically it's Iceland but honestly it feels like I've stumbled across a lunar colony.

Have some rotted shark and a slug of Black Death: I believe it's what they do for fun around there.

quote:
... a land of grey half-light, wind and tinted windows. Technically it's Iceland ...

I don't care what the weather's like; there are no words for how envious I am. [Big Grin]

Piglet, whose trips to Iceland were in December and February.

quote:
Piglet, whose trips to Iceland were in December and February.

I find it quite useful to know you chose to come here twice.

And given the chance, we'd be back in a heartbeat. [Smile]

© Ship of Fools 2016