Thread: Pennine Shipmeet? Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=028988

Posted by ArachnidinElmet (# 17346) on :

On the suggestion of Boogie and the prodding of Lothlorien I wondered if there was any interest in a Yorkshire shipmeet?

I've never been to one, but I hear they tend to involve Food and Drink quite prominently. [Smile] Would Leeds or Huddersfield be most convenient for anyone coming from the West? I'd think Saturday would be the best day?

I couldn't make the first weekend in September, but am otherwise open to suggestions.

What does everyone think?

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

Huddersfield and Saturday would be good for me and Twiglet [Smile]

Posted by Jengie jon (# 273) on :

I was beginning to think it was time for a Yorkshire meet and that Huddersfield would be the place to have it. Also, Saturdays often work for me as well.

Jengie

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

Sorry guys, Huddersfield is one of those places I visit fairly regularly, these days.

I have been looking at travel up for the weekend of 22/23 August to go walking.

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:

I have been looking at travel up for the weekend of 22/23 August to go walking.

I'm free then [Smile]

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

I might be persuaded to go to Huddersfield. But unfortunately not on 22/23 August.

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

For those wanting September, that's pretty much out for us. We are out of the country for the first three weekends.

The 22nd or 23rd sound good though. If anyone wants somewhere booking let me know.

If you want a food meet we have a Lebanese restaurant which is good.

http://www.med-one.co.uk/

I have booked my tickets to come up next Saturday, arriving mid afternoon and going back late Sunday. Plan is to walk on Sunday, and if this meet goes ahead, meet on Saturday.

The Curious Kitten would be interested too.

Posted by Jack o' the Green (# 11091) on :

I could do next Saturday 22nd.

I am all a dither, between a partly booked holiday (long story) and not knowing a friend's funeral arrangements I do not know what I will be doing that weekend.

I will come if I can but nothing is certain.

Jengie

[ 15. August 2015, 14:57: Message edited by: Jengie jon ]

I could do Saturday 22nd, and would also put my vote in for the Lebanese restaurant Balaam mentioned; I've wanted to eat there for a while.

So there are 6 so far (Possibly 8}

LRP and I.
Arachnid in Elmet
Boogie
Curiosity Killed... (Is The Curious Kitted a definite?
Jack o' the Green

Possible
Jengie Jon?

Any more?

Yep, she's a definite. We were reckoning she could eat there when we were chatting earlier.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
So there are 6 so far (Possibly 8}

LRP and I.
Arachnid in Elmet
Boogie
Curiosity Killed... (Is The Curious Kitted a definite?
Jack o' the Green

Possible
Jengie Jon?

Any more?

Don't forget Twiglet!

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

Do you want me, or someone, to amend the thread title?

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

Pennine Twigletmeet? [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Pennine Twigletmeet? [Big Grin]

I must ring the restaurant and check she's allowed, they are obliged to accept Guide Dogs but with pups it's up to them (99% do)

No - I phoned and poor wee Twiglet is not allowed. I always ask in advance with restaurants, although we have never been refused before. By law they have to accept Guide Dogs but with pups it's done on goodwill.

Sorry, I won't be able to come as it would be too long to leave pupster and Mr Boogs isn't home.

Ho-hum, pig's bum [Frown]

eta - is anything else involved in the meet? Twiglet and I could just come to that bit if so [Smile]

[ 17. August 2015, 20:36: Message edited by: Boogie ]

Sorry to hear that Boogie.

For the rest, Med One requires tables of over six to pre-order their starter and main.

Let me know and I'll pass it on.

http://www.med-one.co.uk/category/menu/starters-cold-mezza/

I haven't checked, but how about a walk along the canal - 8 miles to get to Stanedge tunnel and Marsden, but there are a couple of other stopping off points before you get all the way out there. Train back to or from Marsden.

I'll check starters and main courses

I'll be on a flight to Bulawayo on Saturday. Have fun!

One vine leaves for starters, one Ajamee

One Bamya stew for main, one vegetarian goulash.

Apparently, the other alternative for things to do in Huddersfield is Castle Hill.

I'm doing nothing else that day and, by the look of the weather today, will be in docs and jeans rather than flimsy sandals, so I'd be up for a walk if others were. It's a shame, Boogie, if you're not able to come since you're the one who made the suggestion.

If not a walk, there could always be a pre-food pub visit (or both). The pub by the rail station is supposed to be very good and favoured by walkers and Real Ale drinkers alike.

quote:
ArachnidinElmet: favoured by walkers and Real Ale drinkers alike.
Are those mutually exclusive categories? [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
ArachnidinElmet: favoured by walkers and Real Ale drinkers alike.
Are those mutually exclusive categories? [Smile]
I'll admit, there's a pretty big overlap. [Smile]

Hope your Bulawayo trip goes well, LeRoc. Think of us in sunny Huddersfield.

Balaam, could I put an order in for Manakeesh as a starter and Maqluba for main? Many thanks.

Decision time.

I have not heard about holiday but think that started Monday if it is on so I am coming. funeral is the Tuesday of the week afterwards.

Jengie

Slightly slower now as I have pm menu choices to Balaam.

If a walk goes ahead that would be great by me. I can be there by early afternoon and, therefore, can easily be at the pub by the station for a pre-meal drinks.

Jengie

Change of plan.

Med One is booked up.

I am looking for alternatives.

Still on a Mediterranean Theme, Marimonte accepts guide dogs in training. Table for 8 people booked for 7 pm.

http://www.marimonte.co.uk/

Nice one. [Smile]

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
http://www.marimonte.co.uk/

Looks pleasant.

It certainly does - now I'm really wishing I wasn't on the other side of the planet ...

Have a good one! [Smile]

Looks good to me. Very snazzy.

I'm starting to feel a little paranoid though [Paranoid] ; that's the second time I've nearly gone to the Lebanese restaurant only to be foiled at the last minute. Last time it was a death in the family (of the staff, not me).

quote:
ArachnidinElmet: I'm starting to feel a little paranoid though [Paranoid] ; that's the second time I've nearly gone to the Lebanese restaurant only to be foiled at the last minute. Last time it was a death in the family (of the staff, not me).
Don't ever go to Beirut (just to be sure).

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
ArachnidinElmet: I'm starting to feel a little paranoid though [Paranoid] ; that's the second time I've nearly gone to the Lebanese restaurant only to be foiled at the last minute. Last time it was a death in the family (of the staff, not me).
Don't ever go to Beirut (just to be sure).
S'funny you should say that. My friend and I were only going to the restaurant as a consolation prize after our holiday in Morocco was cancelled due to a bombing. Honestly, I don't normally court that much bad luck...

Brilliant - thanks balaam! Sorry I have been quiet, we've been in London for a few days.

[Smile]

There is something going on in Huddersfield Town Centre this weekend which I have not heard about. There are putting up stalls in front of the station, one of which is marked as New Zealand wine.

That's all I know at the moment.

More...

http://www.bigscreenweekends.co.uk/

quote:
balaam: There are putting up stalls in front of the station, one of which is marked as New Zealand wine.

That's all I know at the moment.

LOL, that alone would have been enough to convince me [Smile]

I am busy on the afternoon of the 22nd but will be there in the evening,

The Head of Steam is one of the pubs in the Station building, on the left facing the station. I suggest meeting up there in the early evening. It has real ale and cider, something that Mediterranean restaurants lack..

If anyone wants to walk with Ck... to Marsden in the afternoon, you'll have to arrange it with her, but I think it too far for an afternoon. Bus or train to Slaithwaite then walk to Marsden would be better, you wont have to force the pace. The first bit of canal out of Huddersfield is not as scenic as the last part anyway.

As for me, I'm hoping to get to the Head of Steam about 6.

OK, I was holding back slightly to see if offspring could eat at this restaurant. She's been to check and they are fine about dairy-free, gluten-free, shellfish-free, nut-free food.

I get in at 13:40, in theory, but from past experience of this route* I could be delayed.

My rough calculation was 8 miles at 2 miles per hour (reasonable to slow on a canal towpath, but depends on the size of the party) would take 4 hours. 2pm to 6pm looks possible, plus journey back. I know I'll want to walk after 3 hours on a bus and train.

Looking there is a bus every 10 minutes to Slaithwaite from Huddersfield and a half hourly train. Half hourly bus back from Marsden and half hourly train.

* Megabus Prime - train to East Midland Parkway, bus from there. I never book this journey early enough to get cheap train tickets, so usually end up on this route.

Twiglet can't have her paws on grass yet 'till after her next vaccination, so we'll be at the Head of Steam at 6pm.

Next time we'll do the walk too [Smile]

Right, a walk would be good from my perspective. There is a train that gets me in just before 1pm (yes I know Curiosity Killed said she arrived at 1:30 pm, but the Lincoln-> Huddersfield train line is notorious for delays). One slight snag, I have not been in Huddersfield for thirty years except to Mirfield.

So I need someone else to suggest a meeting place though I note there appears to be a Greggs and a Coffee Express at the bus station. Not for food just as a place to wait for the other people. I am open to other suggestions.

Jengie

Posted by LRP (# 5013) on :

There are seats outside the train station and the fountains are pretty.Although curiosity bus arrives in bus station and the stop is close to Greggs.

Jengie, weather and trains willing, I'm hoping to go on the walk too. Shall I meet you by the statue of Harold Wilson outside the rail station when your train comes in and we can walk up to the bus station to meet Curiosity Killed?

I'm not fully kitted up, walking wise, but IIRC Marsden towpath is not exactly Snowden. Hopefully, we won't be too muddy and horrible to meet the rest of you in The Head of Steam.

That sounds good to me.

I am packing a change of clothing (I got well and truly muddied a couple of walks ago and ended up buying trousers and sandals to get home).

Jengie

[ 21. August 2015, 19:13: Message edited by: Jengie jon ]

Harold's statue may be obscured by the stalls in the square but it is directly in front the station. But he is by a Pimms stall

[ 21. August 2015, 21:03: Message edited by: balaam ]

Oh well starting off in the right way!

Jengie

Linda l think l will be at that stall rather than th h e he as d of steam. [Smile]

Pimms stall l mean.

Sorry not to reply earlier - I was in the audience for Any Questions? tonight. The walk looks brilliant. I just hope I am not delayed on the way up.

See you all tomorrow.

I look forward to seeing you all at the restaurant at 7pm. I'll arrive a little before and wait outside.

I have CuriousKitten's new water bottles (they were delivered to me) so she has requested a quick detour to wash and fill one no the walk.

So far we have met up with Jengie Jon and Arachnidin Elmet and walked to Marsden, got the train back in time for the pub meet with balaam and LRP. Boogie and Twiglet have arrived.

An excellent and enjoyable Ship meet - good to see you all and great food too.

Twiglet was a good girl and coped with the noise night life of Huddersfield on the walk back to the car nice and calmly. [Smile]

Did you all avoid the downpour? (we did *smug*) :

Lovely meet good company with great food it was lovely to meet up with you all.

I got home without any more rain though there had been some contrary to the weather forecast in Sheffield. Thanks for a good day out.

Jengie

There are a couple of pictures on the Ship open Facebook page.
Edited: Code.

[ 23. August 2015, 23:31: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

Looks as if you had a great time! [Smile]

It was fun, and I'm slowly unscrambling my 30 year plus old memories of walking the Pennine Way and gradually putting sections back in the right order. But I get easily confused by other people. I muttered about the paving slabs because it really wasn't like that when I walked it last.

We followed the Huddersfield Narrow Canal to the Stanedge tunnel and then climbed up on to the Pack Horse way to the A640, coming back south on the Pennine Way along Millstone Edge* and then back across Marsden Moor. Pretty much this walk although we headed over the Pack Horse Bridge and up a steep path to the path rather than the tracks to March Haigh Reservoir. We came back slightly further south past the reservoir at the bottom, which would have been pretty if it hadn't been raining so hard by then. That bit was off the bottom of the map so we were guessing how the paths fitted together to get us back where we were going and followed ways heading roughly in the right direction. When we went map shopping on the way out I wasn't buying another OL1 when I had one at home from walking down in the Peak District.

* Having left the map behind, I was pretty sure that's where it was until I googled and found lots of wrongly labelled pictures.

Can I say a slightly belated thank you to everybody for an excellent day. No nerves were necessary for my first shipmeet. I went home pleasantly knackered and full of good food. [Big Grin]

© Ship of Fools 2016