Thread: Greenbelt 2015 Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=028990

Posted by iamchristianhearmeroar (# 15483) on :

So, we're only around a month away now and still no thread!

Are people going (back) this year? What are you looking forward to? What are you not looking forward to?

Posted by Doc Tor (# 9748) on :

I'm on the pre-festival stewarding team (did it last year, very rewarding), and also giving a talk on Monday in the Literature strand. So yes! Looking forward to it greatly. I'm hoping for an Indian summer... [Biased]

Posted by jackanapes (# 12374) on :

We're long time GBers, but first time at Boughton House, first time with kids, and first time when I've been due to start a new job on the Tuesday. Should be interesting...

Posted by mark_in_manchester (# 15978) on :

If you are camping and can tie a wheelbarrow to your roof-bars, you won't regret it [Smile]

Posted by Heavenly Anarchist (# 13313) on :

We're buying a trolley to take, my bipolar disorder couldn't cope with the stress levels last year.

Posted by Sipech (# 16870) on :

Not this year. Went for the first time last year, but was disappointed at how inaccessible it was. The walk to and from the site also resulted in quite a nasty injury that took months to properly heal. (see account here).

Would be interested to find out if they improve access or if it remains a realistic prospect only for car drivers.

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

Yes I am going again. I am staying off site (because I don't do camping). Looking forward to it, but with some trepidation, because of the financial problems they have had.

I am hoping that they have addressed some of the access issues.

Posted by hatless (# 3365) on :

I am going, though the practical difficulties last year were off-putting, and the cold rain was miserable. I believe it will be much smaller this year, and I think that might be good.

We shall be there again this year. Will be my 10th (consecutive) Greenbelt. Not that many in the grand scheme of things, but feels like a lot to me!

To be honest, almost anything would be an improvement on last year when our 18 month hold had a D&V bug for the whole of the festival (which I caught). If he's not unwell, it will all be fine for us!

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

Anything would be an improvement on that scenario. Well, as you say almost anything.

[ 29. July 2015, 21:13: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

Posted by Jay-Emm (# 11411) on :

Day tripping, still not fully sure which.

Posted by Pomona (# 17175) on :

Will be there, volunteering on the Access team again. Heavenly Anarchist and Sipech, sorry to hear about your access difficulties. Some things I know have already been ironed out - for instance the molehill type bumps around the main stage turned out to be anthills and have been removed. Friday was a difficult day - this year disabled camping is open from Thursday which should hopefully free up golf buggies and other help on the Friday.

I will be there from the Wednesday before so may see you Doc Tor - do you know if Barn Bacon will be about during Build Week like last year?

Posted by recklessrat (# 17243) on :

We are going, with toddler in tow! Last year, we tried to do everything and ended up having to leave halfway through as she was only 4 months old and got grizzly!

This time I think we'll stick to forest church and music mainly so she can run around a lot. I don't know what to do about a pushchair though - we took a sling last year, but she'll be a bit heavier this year!

Am I right in thinking the car park will be closer to the main festival this year? Really hoping the physical access, especially the tracking, is better this year.

recklessrat - if you can borrow a back-pack style carrier, do so. They keep everything clear of the mud, and are exceptionally flexible.

Pomona - don't know about the bacon stall. I do know they were still serving Tuesday lunchtime...

Recklessrat - we (volunteers) have been told that it will be better. The tracking was a nightmare but now the anthills have gone, should be better. I believe the car park is closer this year. It was awful to see so many problems last year and not being able to do anything about it! Thank goodness Friday was dry, if it had been wet then I think it would have been even worse.

quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
Recklessrat - we (volunteers) have been told that it will be better. The tracking was a nightmare but now the anthills have gone, should be better. I believe the car park is closer this year. It was awful to see so many problems last year and not being able to do anything about it! Thank goodness Friday was dry, if it had been wet then I think it would have been even worse.

That's reassuring, thanks [Smile]

I was wavering, but it appears the noise team (on which I have served for umpety ump years) needs me...looks like I'll be there!

Posted by Chocoholic (# 4655) on :

I'm really not sure. I said after last year I wouldn't camp again - I not a great camper, have camped at Cheltenham which was ok but last year really put me off. So I'm going to work out if I want to go enough to pay for a B&B. The programme isn't really making me want to go but then again I usually find I don't recognise names on the website but then find the details of the talks in the diary are what attract me more and there is always stuff I just stumble on, but with no main stage type venue I'm not sure that would happen as much.

quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
I was wavering, but it appears the noise team (on which I have served for umpety ump years) needs me...looks like I'll be there!

Noise team - are they the people who go round the site making lots of noise all the time, to make sure it sounds like there is lots of fun happening?

You know already that quite likely they're the people sitting in a car in the rain outside a neighbouring housing estate at 10:30pm trying to placate a hostile Env Health official waving a noise meter, whilst missing their favourite band!

One of my friends (and one of my children's godfather) was big in Noise for very many years. And yes, that's what he spent a lot of time doing at Cheltenham.

[Really to bump]

Was in the area, so saw the memorials to the D of &c family at Warkton. They were kind of impressive, although the talk was revealing as to embarrassingly sexist the past was.

Also found a nest of dog walker (perhaps) tracks on the Kettering side of the old A43 that almost lead from the hotel to the Warkton junction. Though even if the entrance weren't in Huntingdon, I don't think I'd recommend it.

Sad that Goan Fish Curries and Higgidy won't be there. Lalitas, Tibetan Kitchen and Barn Bacon will all apparently be there though.

FYI Access normally releases allergy info regarding venues about a week from the festival.

No Higiddy? I might have to cancel....

Posted by Manipled Mutineer (# 11514) on :

I was going with my family but have had to drop out, therefore releasing a double and two twin rooms at the Best Western Rockingham for the duration of the festival, in case anyone was still looking for off-site accommodation.

I am staying at the Holiday Inn in Kettering, in case anyone else is there.

Posted by Pia (# 17277) on :

I'm dipping a toe in for the first time, as Miss Pia the Younger is in a band which is playing in the gaps between the 'real' acts (as far as I've been able to understand, Miss Pia the Younger being 13, and thus not big on Actually Finding Out About Stuff In Advance). Other commitments mean we're just staying (camping) Friday night and will stay as long as we can on Saturday and drive home Saturday night.

Recommendations? What should I not miss? Though I may be a bit limited by having a 13-year-old to look after, who will not want to be doing anything 'boooooooooooring' - which will be most things in her book.

Posted by goperryrevs (# 13504) on :

I'll be there. Is there any plan for an official "let's all be at the Jesus Arms at the same time and have a vague shipmeet hello" this year?

Posted by Carys (# 78) on :

I will be there. First time driving myself. Was fine travelling by train last year but am borrowing mum's car as I'm with a friend who's disabled and it gives us flexibility.
Carys

Can someone just reassure me that I'm not being dense (this would not be unheard-of!)? I have got day tickets for Friday and Saturday, plus two days' worth of car parking. Does that cover me to camp as well? I assumed it did, because there was nothing anywhere about (non-glamping, bog standard) camping. But I've started to panic that I'll turn up and find that I'm not allowed to pitch my tent and it'll all be a disaster, for which Miss Pia the Younger will blame me forever...

Thank you! [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Pia:
Can someone just reassure me that I'm not being dense (this would not be unheard-of!)? I have got day tickets for Friday and Saturday, plus two days' worth of car parking. Does that cover me to camp as well? I assumed it did, because there was nothing anywhere about (non-glamping, bog standard) camping. But I've started to panic that I'll turn up and find that I'm not allowed to pitch my tent and it'll all be a disaster, for which Miss Pia the Younger will blame me forever...

Thank you! [Smile]

I'm sure I've seen something like this before. (Though I think it was at Cheltenham, when waving your wristbands). If not I'm sure there'll be something possible.

Does anyone know if they're doing local tickets again?

Pia, I'm pretty sure you're OK with this. Wristbands are needed to gain entry into and out of the festival village, of which the campsite isn't a part. I guess the only complication may be if they try to get you to park in the day parking, rather than the general parking which is a lot closer to the campsite.

Yep, just checked the website and you're fine:

quote:
Camping space is available for everyone with a weekend ticket (or two consecutive day tickets), so find the corner of the campsite that suits you.
Jay-Emm, I've not seen anything about local tickets this year. They certainly had them last year.

quote:
Originally posted by Pia:
Recommendations? What should I not miss? Though I may be a bit limited by having a 13-year-old to look after, who will not want to be doing anything 'boooooooooooring' - which will be most things in her book.

Recommendations?

Abandon your 13 yo to her own devices. She'll come to absolutely no harm whatsoever and will have all sorts of benign adventures she'll be desperate to tell you about.

Arrange a time to meet at later, as mobile coverage can be patchy. Give her a tenner and she can even sort out her own lunch.

Thank you for reassurances Jay-Emm and Iamchristian. (I was sure I'd seen that sentence you quoted on the website, and then when I went back to check I couldn't find it again.)

Doc - I am a great exponent of benign neglect as a parenting style! And she'll have her band-mates to hang out with, so what could possibly go wrong?

Thanks all!

Jay-Emm, possibly too late anyway but I don't think they are doing local tickets this year. Check anyway!

Will do, I'll be day tripping (possibly by bike?).

If anyone needs anything bringing in (that's not too ridiculous, or with any liability issues, or ...) I can possibly go via the corner shop.

Posted by geroff (# 3882) on :

This is a bit late, but is anyone planning a shipmeet over the weekend.
We are staying in Holiday Inn Express this year (booked in September 2014 [Eek!] ) and coming in each day. Just hope we don't end up wandering around searching for our car again - which is very silly because there probably aren't that many Panda 4x4 Antartica editions about - but it was Dark. [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 26. August 2015, 19:12: Message edited by: geroff ]

geroff - Holiday Inn Express too! Probably see you at breakfast.

I doubt there will be many TT 3.2 s there, but as it is very low, I might not be able to spot mine [Eek!]

Re: shipmeet, those of us also in "The Virtual Arms" are getting together around 1230-1300 on Saturday and/or Sunday. Not sure how much overlap there is between ship and Virtual Arms?

(Having said this, I may well be child wrangling, so unable to come, but hey-ho maybe this year!!)

Posted by Yangtze (# 4965) on :

I'd be up for a Shipmeet, And combining with a Virtual Arms (which is a FB group I think) meet would make sense. Not sure when my shifts are though.

I'm compering again - in the Treehouse this time - so if you're at something there, do come and say hi. There is another compere there so guess there's a chance you'll get it wrong and confuse a stranger by asking if she's Yangtze, but hey, that's what life's all about - taking chances.

[ 27. August 2015, 00:38: Message edited by: Yangtze ]

Yes, VA is a FB group (alongside the various other official, semi-official and non-official groups).

Yangtze, assuming you are who I think you are (you run Arthur and Henry, right?), I suspect we may bump into each other (again) at GB. We have Kathryn Fleming as a friend in common!

(As I put in the VA facebook group)

I am a middle aged man who will be wearing either shorts or jeans and a t-shirt. I should therefore be dead easy to spot.

[Big Grin]

If you are looking out for me, I will probably have a Schroedingers Cat, labyrinth or Sonar 2013 t-shirt on. That might not help much, as there was at least 1 other person with a Schroedingers Cat t-shirt there last year.

Posted by chenab (# 18278) on :

Should be at the VA meeting (since I'm it's landlord so to speak) - I'll be the one wearing something with the VA logo on it (beerglass with The Virtual Arms underneath).

So hope to see some of you there.

Tony

[ 27. August 2015, 16:10: Message edited by: chenab ]

OK, so I know who chenab is IRL. Who are you Schroedinger?!

Alastair

I am me. I am, in fact, a cat, who is both alive and dead.

Sorry, I don't want to post my RL details here. Maybe I will see you as GB.

Posted by goperryrevs (# 13504) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
(As I put in the VA facebook group)

I am a middle aged man who will be wearing either shorts or jeans and a t-shirt. I should therefore be dead easy to spot.

[Big Grin]

If you are looking out for me, I will probably have a Schroedingers Cat, labyrinth or Sonar 2013 t-shirt on. That might not help much, as there was at least 1 other person with a Schroedingers Cat t-shirt there last year.

Either I walked right past you, or the other guy was there again. Nice t-shirt! Shame I only saw your post when I got home, or I'd have said 'hi'! Hi anyhow! Really enjoyed Greenbelt again this year. Hope everyone else did too.

Was nice enough.

Didn't really see anyone shippy, physically saw Doc-Tor & (possibly) Yangtze. But both had stuff to do and I couldn't think of anything to say, (hence one very rubbish greeting on the path).

I did look in JArm's at 12:30 Sat but couldn't see anything (but I'm not exactly a candidate for the best observer of the minute award).

It was enjoyable

We had a great time - really enjoyed it, especially taize and forest church. The walk from car park to festival was so much easier than last year. Things did get awfully muddy on Monday though, and I was glad we left in the afternoon to avoid a stuck car!

Does anyone have a copy of the communion service leaflet at all? Ours got destroyed by the rain but I'd love to have another look at the words of the creed used...

Posted by Carys (# 78) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
I'd be up for a Shipmeet, And combining with a Virtual Arms (which is a FB group I think) meet would make sense. Not sure when my shifts are though.

I'm compering again - in the Treehouse this time - so if you're at something there, do come and say hi. There is another compere there so guess there's a chance you'll get it wrong and confuse a stranger by asking if she's Yangtze, but hey, that's what life's all about - taking chances.

Was going to say I hadn't seen many current ship people but if you compered Kelvin Holdsworth's (@thurible) session then I saw you and follow you on twitter.

I also saw Pomona in the Franciscan camp on Saturday.
Carys

Posted by Yangtze (# 4965) on :

That was me and I saw you there Carys (we actually met somewhere before, at Kathryn's canoning I think though could have been a previous GB, so I recognised you).

I had a fab GB, though due to above mentioned volunteering, limited time to get out and meet people. Was good to meet iamchristianhearmeroar again. (And also either his or his wife's mother who unbelievably remembered me from the aforementioned canoning.)

It was a great sadness not to wander into the Jesus Arms and find our late great shipmate Ken there, but a great joy to bump into his sister there instead (clearly continuing the tradition) and to hang out with her a bit.

I think I was only at the treehouse for a KWR talk, and then I was actually outside the tent in the rain. So if you were doing that one, I might have seen you. Although I think I left before the questions (because I was getting wet).

Posted by busyknitter (# 2501) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:

It was a great sadness not to wander into the Jesus Arms and find our late great shipmate Ken there, but a great joy to bump into his sister there instead (clearly continuing the tradition) and to hang out with her a bit.

And it was very lovely to run into you a couple of times and go to the Unthanks set together.

Not sure I can ever match up to ken's Jesus Arms performance (drinking the bar dry on a Monday night ain't ever gonna be my thing), but my son and I had a great GB this year. In previous years it was all about just "coping" tbh - he's autistic and needs lots of support. But he's 13 now, loves all kinds of music, thinks camping in the rain is funny and was patient enough to accompany Mum to a few talks. So we did pretty well.

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

Good to hear from you, Busyknitter, and glad to hear you had a good Greenbelt. [Smile]

Just seen today on the Greenbelt Facebook thing that they have been having Serious Words with Friends First about their flyering, which was Not Authorised and definitely Not Acceptable.

Greenbelt has apologised to anyone affected, and has asked FF for a proper, formal apology, as well as (and this really cracks me up) payment for the time taken to clear the flyers and deal with the problems. They have also made it clear that FF are Very Much Not Welcome.

Judging by the response, others are also delighted at how seriously and quickly Greenbelt have dealt with this. So if you were affected adversely, then do let them know.

As for me, I had a flyer on my car, which I didn't notice until the following morning. After it had been out in the rain all night. I was surprised at seeing it, because it isn't the normal Greenbelt way.

I did read "Do you want to meet someone of the same faith as you" and thought "no way - one Grumpy, cynical dickhead is enough for any realationship"

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
...I did read "Do you want to meet someone of the same faith as you" and thought "no way - one Grumpy, cynical dickhead is enough for any realationship"

That just has to go in the Quotes File!

© Ship of Fools 2016