Thread: There is NOTHING right about this Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=028992

Posted by Schroedinger's cat (# 64) on :

A story this morning - with nothing to recommend it.

Why does ANYONE think that taking a 9YO to a shooting range is reasonable?

Why does ANYONE consider that letting a 9YO have a loaded Uzi - with live bullets - can be justified in any circumstances?

I am struggling to know who is the STUPIDEST here - her parents for letting her be there, the instructor for letting her loose with such a weapon, or the whole gun culture in the US that considers this to be an unfortunate accident, rather than a natural result of letting 9YOs have killing machines.

Seriously, can anyone provide any justification for this having been allowed to happen? Get a fucking grip.

Posted by EtymologicalEvangelical (# 15091) on :

The whole gun culture in the US is the stupidest.

Posted by Rosa Winkel (# 11424) on :

I thought you don't do hell.

Posted by EtymologicalEvangelical (# 15091) on :

But I've been told that I would be happier if I abandoned logic, and just went with something called "emotional intelligence".

So my feeeeeelings led me here... [Big Grin]

[ 27. August 2014, 10:32: Message edited by: EtymologicalEvangelical ]

Posted by Rosa Winkel (# 11424) on :

A feeling of passive-aggressiveness?

Posted by tessaB (# 8533) on :

Oh that poor girl. Imagine having to live with that for the rest of your life.
Parents who do this sort of thing should be....well I don't know what wouldn't make this situation worse for her, but really it is mind-bogglingly stupid of them.

Posted by L'organist (# 17338) on :

And the same parents who think it appropriate for a nine year old to use a gun of any kind have probably been staring at screens with images of children holding severed heads and tutting about "uncivilised" people in the middle east.

To allow this wasn't just stupid, it was wicked.

Posted by JoannaP (# 4493) on :

Having recovered from the initial shock, I am inclined to see this as natural selection in action.

Posted by Pyx_e (# 57) on :

"Burgers and Bullets" Company Motto; if one don't kill ya the other will.

Too Sad for jokes really. Lord have Mercy.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

quote:
Originally posted by JoannaP:
Having recovered from the initial shock, I am inclined to see this as natural selection in action.

If it didn't involve mental trauma inflicted on a kid, I might agree.
Now that I am out of Purg-- Sarchmardo is a complete idiot, and the fact that he is still insisting it is appropriate to use an Uzi as a starter weapon for anyone makes me wonder what planet his brain is on when his mouth is talking.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

There are no appropriate jokes here. A nine year old will have to go the rest of her life with this. The dead man's family will live with this the rest of theirs.
---------------
A pistol of any calibre is not a suitable training weapon for anyone.
9mm is too much for most 9 year old children.
Reliance on one's reactions in response to actions already occurring as a safety measure is stupid.

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Sarchmardo is a complete idiot, and the fact that he is still insisting it is appropriate to use an Uzi as a starter weapon for anyone makes me wonder what planet his brain is on when his mouth is talking.

Fuck whether it's an Uzi or anything else. I find the whole concept of a "starter weapon" of any description utterly disgusting.

[ 27. August 2014, 16:15: Message edited by: Spike ]

I tend to agree, but there is an extra creamy icing of stupidity in his attitude.

You do get that a lot if Americans hate gun culture, right? You do get that, living in a gun culture, I am going to encounter people who don't hate guns, and my squealing, "Ickypoo!" Is going to have zero effect on them? If I say," handing a minor a gun is deplorable" five people will simply counter ," not teaching kids proper gun use is criminal," and have loads if arguments in their defense. So I better be aware of how gun culture operates and thinks before I flounder around trying to persuade people.

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

My brain won't process this. Did you see that the target the little girl was shooting at represented a human upper torso?I tried to recall being a 9 year old, but it seems that's my personal Dark Age - there's nothing there. I do remember around that time playing cowboys and Indians on the street with cap guns: they went bang and the other kid fell on the ground. Then he got up and shot you back and we all carried on. We understood play and we knew it was a parody of reality, but what did any of us know about reality? The Big Boys with rich parents had air guns and we were told not to play with them. Machine guns belonged in the comics and in a war that was over years ago - we didn't read newspapers and only a few people had TV, so we weren't much exposed to reality beyond our street and school. We did know that the idea of handling a real gun was a fantasy, as killing people only happened in wars. I think part of me is still nine years old.

We can weep and wail all we like, but it will happen again. I don't think there's much hope for a country that will allow the sacrifice of people like these - both the instructor and the child - to protect the idiotic, useless, self destructive, Second Amendment.

I remember fairly realistic looking plastic machine guns being used by playmates when I was a kid. ( in the seventies.) that's part of the problem. Toy manufacturers lure people in with "realism" ignoring the fact that an essential element of fantasy play is distance. Legos used to be just bricks, now there are hundreds of custom sets.

This godawful burger gun place is an extension of that-- you can daydream, but hell, slap down a little more money and you can have the real thing! The fantasy aspect is maintained mentally while the real thing is suddenly in your hands. It encourages the user to cast that glow of fantasy over the real object-- it makes it less real.
Watch people sniff when I suggest that the toy guns, video games, etc are the actual starter weapons.

Posted by Autenrieth Road (# 10509) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Fuck whether it's an Uzi or anything else. I find the whole concept of a "starter weapon" of any description utterly disgusting.

Why? Because people should never start learning to use guns? Or because they should only start when they can handle a full-size gun? Or something else?

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
quote:

Why? Because people should never start learning to use guns? Or because they should only start when they can handle a full-size gun? Or something else?
People should never start learning to use guns.

They should be illegal outside the military in my view.

I can stretch to an acceptance of guns, and so that people should be allowed to use them and learn to use them.

But not at 9 years old. A minimum of 16, when they should have developed at least the physical strength to handle something.

Then it should be something easy, something straightforward. Only once people have demonstrated the ability to cope with a gun, to handle the recoil, to understand what it does. then they might move on to more ferocious weapons.

Of course, if they were sensible, they would realise what guns can do, and know that they should never get anywhere close to them. Ha.

And, as others have said, I feel mostly for this young girl who will probably be traumatised for life because of this incident. In one sense, that is right, because some mad fucker gave her a fucking powerful gun and she used it to shoot with. But that is not her fault. She will suffer for other people stupidity.

If the drafters of the second amendment could see what they produced, I suspect they would alter it to say "Stupid fuckers should not be allowed guns. If you want a gun for your 9YO, you are a stupid fucker".

Posted by Pyx_e (# 57) on :

start them young

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

Having briefly heard this story I formed a mental picture of this incident which was darkly amusing to someone afflicted with a black sense of humour.

-- For they that live by the sword shall die by the sword--.

Seriously, I do really really pity America with it's gun problems. Sadly my pity , like Kelly squealing "Icky-Poo", will have nil effect on the US gun culture, nor on this gun tragedy , or tomorrow's , or the next day's.....

Posted by Figbash (# 9048) on :

quote:
quote:

If it didn't involve mental trauma inflicted on a kid, I might agree.

Originally posted by lilBuddha:

There are no appropriate jokes here. A nine year old will have to go the rest of her life with this. The dead man's family will live with this the rest of theirs.

Since when was mealy mouthed psychobabble unrestful? If we're not allowed to laugh, even distastefully, at the insanity of the world, then clearly the light at the end of the tunnel named 'fascism' is closer than I thought.

But if there are no appropriate jokes, I'll just have to make do with some inappropriate satire. I.e. the girl should not be at all traumatised; once she can be trained to kill exclusively black people, she has a splendid career as a cop ahead of her. Hoorah! The American Dream Strikes Back!

Fuckin go ahead and laugh like a loon if you have the stomach for it; all I personally said is that I wasn't inclined to do it. My stomach is currently experiencing unrest.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

Why does a 9 year old girl need to know how to handle a sub-machine gun?

Posted by no prophet (# 15560) on :

As posted about in the Purg thread, a starter weapon (which I'd not call that) would be a single shot pellet gun, followed by a 22 single shot, requiring both loading up a shell, pulling back the firing pin manually and then pulling the trigger. And from prone.

I have the general impression of limited regulations about any firearms in America. Which is not very good. But I'd also put more limits on the violent media children are exposed to. First person shooter video games played by children of single digit ages are also problematic. Which is a tangent.

Why from prone, no_prophet? Guessing: easier to control?

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

That's just it; the experience wasn't being provided as actual training, it was being sold as entertainment. Like a bungee-jump or something.

AR: Yes, more stable.

[ 27. August 2014, 19:07: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

[cross-posted]

quote:

I suspect the reason her parents took her there was not for need to know, but for fun. That may not seem like any better of a reason.

"Look, out here in Arizona they let you go right in and fire machine guns, unlike back home in New Jersey which has all those nasty laws. Let's take DD shooting and film... well, we'll film whatever happens next."

[ 27. August 2014, 19:16: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

Posted by Twilight (# 2832) on :

Oh Ariel, doncha know? It's for her protection. All children should know how to handle guns. The NRA has a little film out called "Eddie Eagle," where he tells the littlest ones that if they find Mommy or Daddy's gun lying around the house they are not to touch it. Once they've been through that pre-school phase they are ready for their first guns and it's all perfectly safe so long as they are taught not to point it at their sister, 'specially when it's loaded. Ah, if only those kids at Newtown had been allowed to take their guns to school a tragedy would have been adverted.
------[/sarcasm]

I know the arguments because, like Kelly, I've been through the debate wars with this one. I always "lose," because my sources are from the Centers of Disease Control and theirs are from the NRA itself. The last man I argued this out with was a pastor of a church in Indiana where he says that although he usually "carries," he doesn't need to when he preaches because he knows most of the men in his congregation are armed.

quote:
I suspect the reason her parents took her there was not for need to know, but for fun. That may not seem like any better of a reason.

It's a ghastly reason. It's like selling tickets to a tiger cuddle experience.

Posted by Banner Lady (# 10505) on :

Well, I guess she'll be guaranteed therapy sessions for the rest of her life - but I doubt whether she'll end up feeling guilty about it after she gets over the shock. Anyone can see that there were several others more to blame for this "accident".

The worst part will be the jokes she'll have to endure as a teenager when she begins dating. Oh, and probably being the pin-up darling of some seriously screwed up gun-toting factions...

She's nine years old. Kids that age are still hugely egocentric.Kids that age would feel responsible if they had a bad thought about grandma and she died the next day. Of course she is going to feel responsible. Unconvincing her of that is going to be a gargantuan task.

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

quote:

Or any gun for that matter

Posted by Leorning Cniht (# 17564) on :

quote:
quote:

I would teach my 9-year-old girl how to handle a nail gun, if the opportunity arose. I wouldn't let her use one in the bump-activated mode.

Posted by Jade Constable (# 17175) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
quote:

People should never start learning to use guns.

They should be illegal outside the military in my view.

What a nonsensical and utterly illogical idea. Many rural people in the US rely on hunting as a source of food - do you think they should starve instead?

We have extremely tight gun control in the UK, which is a good thing - but that's not the same as making guns illegal.

quote:
Why from prone, no_prophet? Guessing: easier to control?

It only drops that shorter distance, usually well less than a foot, versus from standing, even with a bench and support, the shooter can lose footing and take the gun with them on their fall. A shooting bench with a mount that rigidly holds the gun is useful, but doesn't teach anything about managing the gun. But with a child, gee, I wonder if we might.

I don't own any guns at all myself, and haven't shot one for going on 30 years. I do recall well what I was taught and still have a certificate from 1970.

Posted by saysay (# 6645) on :

quote:
quote:

It was tradition in my family to get your first gun (as in the first gun belonging to you) for your eleventh birthday. At which point you were expected to take your place among the hunters and at least occasionally put food on the table.

Living in a house with guns, it was important to teach and be taught gun safety from a very early age just in case someone got stupid or careless with their gun. That also included learning to shoot different types of guns from very young ages.

I don't know why anyone outside of the military needs to learn to handle sub-machine guns.

quote:
Originally posted by saysay:
I don't know why anyone outside of the military needs to learn to handle sub-machine guns.

So they can join up to fight with or against ISIS, or some country's army. They can further practice by playing video games.

The kid's therapy can be desensitization don't you think? First tell her that it was just like a video game and then get her to play incessantly. It will help her when she has kill some brown person somewhere.

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

I learned to shoot a rifle in Boy Scouts, at age 10. We used single-shot bolt-action 22 rifles, and shot prone at circular targets in a very controlled environment. (We were told when we could enter the area, when we could pick up our guns, when we could start firing, when we had to lay down our guns, etc.) I was neither scarred for life, nor did I become a raving gun lunatic.

But an Uzi? Seriously? It's madness to give a weapon like that to someone who cannot be counted upon to be strong enough to control it.

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
start them young

My nomination for post of the year.

Posted by bib (# 13074) on :

You have to wonder about the mentality of adults who think it is ok to allow children to use guns. But this is what America seems to want so they get what they deserve I'm afraid.

Posted by The Phantom Flan Flinger (# 8891) on :

I used to be a Boys' Brigade leader, and one of my fellow leaders occasionaly brought a rifle in for the older lads to have a go with, but a 9mm Uzi? For a 9 year old??

I understand the point about people needing to be taught how to use guns properly - I don't agree, ut I can seewhere that argument comes from - but this wasn't about that, it was about a so-called "fun" day out.

I don't have the words to describe the stupidity of the parents, the owners of the place, or anyone else involved.

Posted by Erroneous Monk (# 10858) on :

quote:

Because she's planning to visit Rotherham?

Posted by Albertus (# 13356) on :

quote:
Originally posted by The Phantom Flan Flinger:
I don't have the words to describe the stupidity of the parents, the owners of the place, or anyone else involved.

Indeed. And if she'd taken out the parents as well, it would have been no more than they deserved.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

quote:
Originally posted by bib:
You have to wonder about the mentality of adults who think it is ok to allow children to use guns. But this is what America seems to want so they get what they deserve I'm afraid.

More Americans were killed by under 6's finding and playing with guns in the USA than by terrorists last year [Frown] One was a two year old.

[ 28. August 2014, 12:19: Message edited by: Boogie ]

Posted by jbohn (# 8753) on :

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I learned to shoot a rifle in Boy Scouts, at age 10. We used single-shot bolt-action 22 rifles, and shot prone at circular targets in a very controlled environment. (We were told when we could enter the area, when we could pick up our guns, when we could start firing, when we had to lay down our guns, etc.) I was neither scarred for life, nor did I become a raving gun lunatic.

But an Uzi? Seriously? It's madness to give a weapon like that to someone who cannot be counted upon to be strong enough to control it.

What MT said. That was my experience as well, and I agree wholeheartedly about the rank idiocy of handing an Uzi to a 9 year old.

<goes to check my meds - I don't often agree with you on this topic, MT. [Biased] >

Posted by Siegfried (# 29) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
What a nonsensical and utterly illogical idea. Many rural people in the US rely on hunting as a source of food - do you think they should starve instead?

I call BS on this claim. Outside of a few remote villages in Alaska, I can find no supporting information that hunting is the primary form of food acquisition in the US. And even there, it's hunting AND fishing, not purely hunting.

[ 28. August 2014, 13:30: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

Posted by piglet (# 11803) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
... most of the men in his congregation are armed ...

So that they can shoot the choir if they don't like the anthem? Or is it so that they can go and hunt their Sunday lunch after the service?

I wouldn't deprive hunters of their guns, assuming that they were stored properly etc., etc., but I'm with Ariel and Spike: I can think of no reason whatsoever why a nine-year-old should be handling any sort of gun. Ever.

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:
... most of the men in his congregation are armed ...

So that they can shoot the choir if they don't like the anthem? Or is it so that they can go and hunt their Sunday lunch after the service?

I wouldn't deprive hunters of their guns, assuming that they were stored properly etc., etc., but I'm with Ariel and Spike: I can think of no reason whatsoever why a nine-year-old should be handling any sort of gun. Ever.

I think it's so, when that crazed, wildly shooting gun man comes in busting into their little church, they will be the hero who saves everyone. Sadly, I think it's a fantasy that lives in the hearts of a lot of gun toting American males.

Posted by Bishops Finger (# 5430) on :

Just across the river from me is a place where little kidz and their parents can play (under close supervision) with excavators and diggers - and you guys in the US of A let them play with machine guns?

You are stark, staring, mad - and there is a Special Circle In Hell for any adult who introduces a little child to real guns that can kill....... [Waterworks]

May God forgive you. [Votive] [Votive] [Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

Ian J.

quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:
quote:

Which is the gun-lobby argument, that the more guns, the safer everyone is. In other words, UTTER CRAP.

The answer to the Rotherham troubles is not to arm girls, it is to stop men thinking they can rape and abuse women without and comeback. That rape culture is the problem, and "more guns" is not the answer.

quote:
I think it's so, when that crazed, wildly shooting gun man comes in busting into their little church, they will be the hero who saves everyone.

Sadly, this is not unheard of. Whilst I share the concern about some who carry, and the reasons they may do so, this one is not entirely unfounded.

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Just across the river from me is a place where little kidz and their parents can play (under close supervision) with excavators and diggers - and you guys in the US of A let them play with machine guns?

You are stark, staring, mad -

In my pocket is a pocketknife with a locking blade (safer that way, less chance of nicking my fingers), which I use all the time for such mundane tasks as opening mail and slicing sausages - and you guys in the UK make them illegal to carry "without good reason" (the interpretation of which is left solely to the police and/or the judge)? Heck, it was seriously suggested at one point to ban pointy kitchen knives. Y'all are PC-batshit crazy. Whatever became of the Britain that survived the Blitz?

As you would see. had you bothered to read the thread, plenty of us in the US think handing a child a submachine gun is nuts.

Your anti-US bigotry is unbecoming of a man of the cloth. May God forgive you, as well.

Yes, I'm aware that someone did shoot up a church one time. I just don't think that the one in a million chance that it's going to happen again, in their particular little church, is a good reason to stay armed 24/7.

Here's some comments on the NRA site about it all.
NRA tweets.
I was sort of scared until I saw the guy calling himself Munch Housen and now I'm really scared.

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

quote:
Originally posted by jbohn:
quote:
I think it's so, when that crazed, wildly shooting gun man comes in busting into their little church, they will be the hero who saves everyone.

Sadly, this is not unheard of. Whilst I share the concern about some who carry, and the reasons they may do so, this one is not entirely unfounded.

Sure, but that is within a culture where guns are commonplace and considered "normal". IMO it's far less likely to happen in a culture where the only people who carry guns are responsible hunters, soldiers and criminals - not Joe Public (and his wife).

quote:
In my pocket is a pocketknife with a locking blade (safer that way, less chance of nicking my fingers), which I use all the time for such mundane tasks as opening mail and slicing sausages - and you guys in the UK make them illegal to carry "without good reason" (the interpretation of which is left solely to the police and/or the judge)? Heck, it was seriously suggested at one point to ban pointy kitchen knives.

This came as a response to a lot of teen-on-teen knife crime in cities, blown up by the media to panic proportions. Many folk here do think it is too draconian (for instance my son, who is a Theatre Technician and finds such a knife very useful, a tool of his trade). However it is difficult to draft a precise law which would not have unintended consequences.

quote:
In my pocket is a pocketknife with a locking blade (safer that way, less chance of nicking my fingers), which I use all the time for such mundane tasks as opening mail and slicing sausages - and you guys in the UK make them illegal to carry "without good reason" (the interpretation of which is left solely to the police and/or the judge)? Heck, it was seriously suggested at one point to ban pointy kitchen knives. Y'all are PC-batshit crazy. Whatever became of the Britain that survived the Blitz?

In countries where gun control is sensible, knife assaults are more common. There's a debate in my city right now about banning knives because people get stabbed outside of pubs all too often. We're also dealing with people using bear spray on people, which may lead to tighter controls on this.

It's not about PC and bats. It's about context, what misbehaviour is occurring and trying to increase public safety.

Of course one difference between knives and guns is that drive by knifings infrequent.

quote:

In my pocket is a pocketknife with a locking blade (safer that way, less chance of nicking my fingers), which I use all the time for such mundane tasks as opening mail and slicing sausages - and you guys in the UK make them illegal

If you are going to berate people for not reading thoroughly, please do not make the same mistake.
quote:
unless it’s a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less

[ 28. August 2014, 15:21: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

quote:
quote:

In my pocket is a pocketknife with a locking blade (safer that way, less chance of nicking my fingers), which I use all the time for such mundane tasks as opening mail and slicing sausages - and you guys in the UK make them illegal

If you are going to berate people for not reading thoroughly, please do not make the same mistake.
quote:
unless it’s a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less

Same to you:

quote:
Lock knives (knives with blades that can be locked when unfolded) are not folding knives, and are illegal to carry in public without good reason.
[Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
However it is difficult to draft a precise law which would not have unintended consequences.

Which is precisely the point - some in the US are concerned about the "unintended consequences" of further gun control.

quote:
Yes, I'm aware that someone did shoot up a church one time. I just don't think that the one in a million chance that it's going to happen again, in their particular little church, is a good reason to stay armed 24/7.

Here's some comments on the NRA site about it all.
NRA tweets.
I was sort of scared until I saw the guy calling himself Munch Housen and now I'm really scared.

Reading NRA propaganda is good for a laugh, until you realize they're serious.

As far as the church shooting/armaments issue, I'll leave that to individual churches to decide how they feel about that. I know clergy on both sides of that discussion.

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
In countries where gun control is sensible, knife assaults are more common. There's a debate in my city right now about banning knives because people get stabbed outside of pubs all too often. We're also dealing with people using bear spray on people, which may lead to tighter controls on this.

This suggests the issue might not be firearms, or knives, or whatever the weapon-du-jour might be, but societal issues at large. Why are people so violent?

quote:
It's not about PC and bats. It's about context, what misbehaviour is occurring and trying to increase public safety.

Understood - but I tend to see it as sticking a band-aid over a sucking chest wound; it may help control bleeding, but it doesn't solve the underlying problem.

quote:
Of course one difference between knives and guns is that drive by knifings infrequent.

True. Of course, so are drive-by shootings, frankly.

Posted by quetzalcoatl (# 16740) on :

How the hell are the police supposed to tackle knife crime, and the common habit among kids, of carrying knives (as protection), unless there are laws against carrying knives? Knife crime has blighted London in recent years, involving many deaths among teenagers.

If there weren't such laws, the police would not be able to search an unsavoury looking gang for knives.

People who use knives for their profession are exempt, e.g. chefs, gardeners, and so on.

Fair enough. But that law is neither completely good or completely bad.
Yes, knives which lock are safer for the user in many circumstances, but locks also make it easier to stab someone multiple times. Rather nick your fingers or be carried away in ambulance?

BTW, if you are worried about safety, the basic lock back is one of the least secure locking mechanisms in design and in maintenance.

quote:
This suggests the issue might not be firearms, or knives, or whatever the weapon-du-jour might be, but societal issues at large. Why are people so violent?

Actually, in most of our countries, violence is dropping and has continued to do since the mid-1980s. We have some parts of Canada where crime rates have increased, which are those with younger populations and there is a specific increase among aboriginal youth. Drugs, drug policies and gangs are also factors.

quote:
Originally posted by jbohn

As you would see. had you bothered to read the thread, plenty of us in the US think handing a child a submachine gun is nuts.

Your anti-US bigotry is unbecoming of a man of the cloth. May God forgive you, as well.

And a few of us have expressed, on this thread and others through the years, that gun culture in general is abhorrent to them.

If I saw some random Brit on a BBC man on the street interview say this, I would get what he was saying. But when my fellow Shipmates say this, it sends me to the roof, because some of you all have been talking with, praying with, rejoicing with, struggling with, and playing with Americans-- a lot of you on a daily basis-- for almost sixteen fucking years. Hell, Ruth, Laura, and Erin helped fucking build the boards. Ruth ( in particular, along with a few other brave souls) spent the years after 9/11 loudly condemning the scary wave of nationalism that followed-- loudly, consistently, unflinchingly, even as some of her best friends were pretty much laughing at her. That's where her damn avatar title comes from.

And still some of you all ( see how I didn't generalize? Because I'm fucking trying to be fair) would rather reach for the worst, ugliest amorphic stereotype in your cultural kitbag rather than informing that stereotype with people you actually goddamn know.

If a godawful tragedy like this occurred in British soil, you'd have a dozen 'Murricans weeping and praying with you in a heart beat. And you know it.

[ 28. August 2014, 16:22: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

With you, Kelly. This was an avoidable tragedy with horrible personal consequences, but not a good reason, nor a good time, for politicized stereotyping by anyone.

[Writing as someone whose critical opinions about Second Amendment freedoms have been much aired over the decade I've been here.]

Thank you. Genuinely.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jbohn

And a few of us have expressed, on this thread and others through the years, that gun culture in general is abhorrent to them.

If I saw some random Brit on a BBC man on the street interview say this, I would get what he was saying. But when my fellow Shipmates say this, it sends me to the roof, because some of you all have been talking with, praying with, rejoicing with, struggling with, and playing with Americans-- a lot of you on a daily basis-- for almost sixteen fucking years. Hell, Ruth, Laura, and Erin helped fucking build the boards. Ruth ( in particular, along with a few other brave souls) spent the years after 9/11 loudly condemning the scary wave of nationalism that followed-- loudly, consistently, unflinchingly, even as some of her best friends were pretty much laughing at her. That's where her damn avatar title comes from.

And still some of you all ( see how I didn't generalize? Because I'm fucking trying to be fair) would rather reach for the worst, ugliest amorphic stereotype in your cultural kitbag rather than informing that stereotype with people you actually goddamn know.

If a godawful tragedy like this occurred in British soil, you'd have a dozen 'Murricans weeping and praying with you in a heart beat. And you know it.

I'm assuming here you're responding to Bishop's Finger, and not me.

I agree with you, wholeheartedly.

@ Barnabas62: What Kelly said - thank you.

quote:
Fair enough. But that law is neither completely good or completely bad.
Yes, knives which lock are safer for the user in many circumstances, but locks also make it easier to stab someone multiple times. Rather nick your fingers or be carried away in ambulance?

Neither, thanks. But as, someone mentioned earlier, violent crime has been dropping in the developed world. The benefits, to my mind, far outweigh the risks.

quote:
BTW, if you are worried about safety, the basic lock back is one of the least secure locking mechanisms in design and in maintenance.

Depends on the specifics of the knife. That said, my current personal choice is a liner-lock with a backup safety mechanism called AutoLAWKS. Though I also love the simple ring-locking mechanism of the classic Opinel.

Yeah, dude, sorry, I was picking up where you left off, and in my froth didn't include the provocative quote.

No worries. [Smile]

quote:
But as, someone mentioned earlier, violent crime has been dropping in the developed world.

Given this, it is even more difficult to justify the NRA machine guns in prams propoganda.
Money is enough justification, I suppose.

ETA: I am not assuming you share their extremism.

[ 28. August 2014, 18:06: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

Posted by Ariston (# 10894) on :

And, what's more, there are plenty of gun-owning, gun-using Shipmates who aren't dangerous whackos (comet, anyone?) to dispel the idea that anyone who would want to own or shoot a gun must be some violent sociopath. I'm a rare bird in my family, as I don't own guns or hunt, but does that mean I'm one of the two men in Clan Astuanax who aren't would-be crazed killers? Uh, no. My uncle, for instance, is a perfectly decent human being, and an NRA member. No contradiction there. No, don't say there is to be a smartass. He's a good person. He pays his dues to the NRA. Yes, someone can be both. Don't demonize people because some spokesfolk say nutty things.

Where I grew up, handling guns wasn't even a rite of passage; it was just something you did. There was nothing unusual about having shot skeet or gone dove hunting in elementary school—if anything, it was a bit unusual if you hadn't. The rite of passage was your first nice gun, a 30.06 or 12 gauge that might have belonged to your grandfather or uncle, with an adult stock that finally fit you. Even in the fairly large city I grew up in, dove, duck, and deer hunting were as common as bass fishing—and, especially in the rural southeast, the opening of deer gun season was a de facto public holiday, with schools closing and everything. If you worked on a ranch, there was a 30-30 in the back—a "truck gun"—that was an essential tool for dealing with coyotes and other varmints. Weapons, in other words, were tools. They were something that, even if you yourself never owned anything more powerful than an air rifle, you understood. I can appreciate a nice pump action twenty gauge or varmint rifle, and fully understand the appeal of going down to the range and spending the afternoon working through a box or two of rounds. It's a fine line between yoga and target shooting sometimes, what with the breath control, poise as you hold your position, and gently, smoothly, aim and squeeze back on the trigger and exhale. There are, in other words, very good reasons why not at all crazy people might enjoy owning, collecting, and shooting guns, and would take offense to people painting them as violent, psychopathic loonies.

Does this mean that kids should be allowed to handle submachine guns? Of course not. Don't be stupid. They shouldn't be allowed to handle cars either. There are certain things that just should not be put into the hands of somebody who is neither physically nor mentally capable of handling them. An adult with a good bit of driving experience might be trusted with taking a Formula 1 racer around a track for a lap or two with someone coaching them as they went, and might do it for many of the same reasons as someone with a good bit of shooting experience would want to try out a submachine gun at a range with an instructor. It's an exotic, somewhat forbidden, and more powerful version of what they're used to, but in a controlled environment where some of the risks can be minimized—if everybody's keeping their heads screwed on straight.

Letting a child handle a deadly and effective weapon that requires training, strength, and experience to use was a profound lapse in judgment. For fuck's sake, I had to jump through more hoops, sign more forms and waivers, just to ride a bike earlier this year, and I work at the shop! Sure, it was a really nice bike, but the chances of me killing anyone, myself included, by riding a bike are much, much less than by using a weapon specifically designed to be very, very good at killing people.

So no. I don't think "why haven't you banned all the guns? Are you Americans barbarians? When are you banning all the guns?" is the right way to proceed, no more than "when are you banning all the cars, you Philistines?" is. Do I think there ought to be licensing, safety, and physical requirements for gun ownership, like there are for car ownership, as well as concepts analogous to street legality and license classes or commercial licenses for gun ownership? Yes. But banning all guns, or branding all gun owners, gun fanciers, or even NRA members as murderous crazies just isn't right.

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:

People who use knives for their profession are exempt, e.g. chefs, gardeners, and so on.

And someone I know well was fortunate to be let off with a warning for carrying a small knife to slice his apple on the train. It didn't have a folding blade, you see.

quote:
quote:
But as, someone mentioned earlier, violent crime has been dropping in the developed world.

Given this, it is even more difficult to justify the NRA machine guns in prams propoganda.
Money is enough justification, I suppose.

ETA: I am not assuming you share their extremism.

Agreed. And thank you.

Ariston - nicely put.

Agreed.

Also-- are we all,hearing the same thing in the phrase " gun culture" ? In my mind, it goes beyond mere gun ownership.

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
So no. I don't think "why haven't you banned all the guns? Are you Americans barbarians? When are you banning all the guns?" is the right way to proceed, no more than "when are you banning all the cars, you Philistines?" is. Do I think there ought to be licensing, safety, and physical requirements for gun ownership, like there are for car ownership, as well as concepts analogous to street legality and license classes or commercial licenses for gun ownership? Yes. But banning all guns, or branding all gun owners, gun fanciers, or even NRA members as murderous crazies just isn't right.

But apparently because of the inability to separate the whackos from the normals, the law abiding from the criminal, the mentally ill and the disgruntled, everyone is lumped together. I actually think that this is both reasonable and not. From the standpoint of individual risk management, it may be wise, at least in certain places to assume that people may be armed and some of them may be nuts, say 1 in several hundred. From the standpoint of 'just this one person here', like uncle so-and-so, then it is unreasonable.

IIRC, the NRA lobbied to block mental health checks prior to being allowed to own a gun. And, the congress people who are owned by, erm, influenced by the NRA also tend to vote against mental health funding.

Yeah, where is the appropriate place to go through the song and dance about how hundreds of thousands of Americans-- including gun owners-/ can scream and yell about stuff like background checks, but gun lobbyists will cockblock them every time? I found the prospect to exhausting to try in Purg.

Posted by deano (# 12063) on :

I read the story on the BBC's web site and I laughed like a drain.

I mean, 9 year old + uzi = dead instructor! It's a Spitting Image gag (showing my age there!).

But let's look on the bright side, there is one less gun instructor and one less future gun owner in the US.

At least it wasn't an adult killing kids, which is the usual scenario. The US will give up guns when she has sacrificed enough of her children and not before, and it is her choice what the number of child sacrifices will be.

Strike this one for the kids though.

Posted by ChastMastr (# 716) on :

quote:
Originally posted by deano:

[Paranoid]

quote:
Yeah, where is the appropriate place to go through the song and dance about how hundreds of thousands of Americans-- including gun owners-/ can scream and yell about stuff like background checks, but gun lobbyists will cockblock them every time? I found the prospect to exhausting to try in Purg.

quote:
IIRC, the NRA lobbied to block mental health checks prior to being allowed to own a gun. And, the congress people who are owned by, erm, influenced by the NRA also tend to vote against mental health funding.

I think, from the outside (Canada) that this would be the core issue to tackle, i.e., the patent irresponsibility of this, and the desire of elected officials to put innocent people in danger. Not sure how to advance it, if Saul Alinksy was alive, I'd ask him (one of my heroes during the heady 1960s when we believed we could really make a difference). It was this one that got my attention when I was at university studying community psychology:

quote:
from Wikipedia
Alinsky later threatened a "piss in" at Chicago O'Hare Airport. Alinsky planned to arrange for large numbers of well-dressed African Americans to occupy the urinals and toilets at O'Hare for as long as it took to bring the city to the bargaining table. According to Alinsky, once again the threat alone was sufficient to produce result.

[ 28. August 2014, 22:03: Message edited by: no prophet ]

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
quote:

I call BS on this claim. Outside of a few remote villages in Alaska, I can find no supporting information that hunting is the primary form of food acquisition in the US. And even there, it's hunting AND fishing, not purely hunting.
Most people who go hunting could put food on the table without it. However, they enjoy it, the deer population needs to be controlled. I saw an article recently in the local paper which said that the estimated deer population of Virginia is one million. Approximately fifty-seven thousand are hit by cars every year.

The only other way to control the population would be to hire professionals to shoot the deer; this would be expensive.

Moo

quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
quote:

[Paranoid]
Chast, hon, when you encounter a pile of puke, it's best just to step over it.

quote:
quote:

[Paranoid]
You need to watch Spitting Image. In the 80's.

Funny how most Darwin Awards are in the US though.

quote:
[In my pocket is a pocketknife with a locking blade (safer that way, less chance of nicking my fingers), which I use all the time for such mundane tasks as opening mail and slicing sausages - and you guys in the UK make them illegal to carry "without good reason" (the interpretation of which is left solely to the police and/or the judge)?

Carry IN PUBLIC. Read your own links. When's the last time you needed to open mail or slice sausages outside your own home?

Seriously? You wander the streets just itching for the chance to cut through a stray envelope?

[ 28. August 2014, 23:19: Message edited by: orfeo ]

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
The only other way to control the population would be to hire professionals to shoot the deer; this would be expensive.

Moo

Don't let Wildlife make the mistake of introducing coyote.

It doesn't work out.

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
Most people who go hunting could put food on the table without it. However, they enjoy it, the deer population needs to be controlled.
Moo

Also, I thought maybe I'd point out for the benefit of those who don't know this already, among many of the people I know putting food on the table without hunting involves either becoming a vegetarian or relying on the government for food stamps.

Which some people are oddly reluctant to do.

Particularly when there's so much food in the form of deer eating your garden and fruit trees.

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
[In my pocket is a pocketknife with a locking blade (safer that way, less chance of nicking my fingers), which I use all the time for such mundane tasks as opening mail and slicing sausages - and you guys in the UK make them illegal to carry "without good reason" (the interpretation of which is left solely to the police and/or the judge)?

Carry IN PUBLIC. Read your own links. When's the last time you needed to open mail or slice sausages outside your own home?

Seriously? You wander the streets just itching for the chance to cut through a stray envelope?

I use a folding knife a quite lot. Last week, I freed a crow entangled in string which was twisted round a tree branch. I have repaired radiator hoses, cut cloth for impromptu bandages, removed splinters, opened packages, cut string to bind objects, etc. A knife truly is a useful tool.

quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
quote:

I said A source of food, not THE source of food.

Of course it's stupid for a 9yo to have access to a gun, and especially an uzi - and no hunter needs an uzi. But you can have gun control without a gun ban.

quote:
quote:
quote:

I use a folding knife a quite lot. Last week, I freed a crow entangled in string which was twisted round a tree branch. I have repaired radiator hoses, cut cloth for impromptu bandages, removed splinters, opened packages, cut string to bind objects, etc. A knife truly is a useful tool.
You've done all these things on public property, I take it? Use on private property is irrelevant.

And what size is your knife?

I'm not arguing that a knife isn't useful. I'm mystified at the implied proposition that nothing else will do. It's not as if laws against knives are drafted WITHOUT thinking of the uses of knives, but that's why they allow ones that are either small blades or not readily concealed.

Half the things everyone is saying they use a knife for, I'm just staring at the screen and asking "have you heard of scissors?". I mean, opening packages? Do you think that the rest of us sit around our offices and homes, despairing because we can't think of a way to open a package?

[ 29. August 2014, 00:09: Message edited by: orfeo ]

In short, there is nothing wrong with an appropriate knife in an appropriate place. Which is exactly what most of us are saying about guns as well - the appropriate gun in the appropriate place.

This was the appropriate place in one respect - a supervised shooting range. "In the hands of a child aged 9" was probably not the appropriate place, and an Uzi was definitely NOT the appropriate gun.

Pointing at a law that regulates which knives can be carried, and where, and claiming "THEY'VE BANNED KNIVES!" or "OMG, A JUDGE WILL HAVE TO DECIDE" is just stupid. It is simply not true that one must be able to carry any kind of knife anywhere. Nor is there something horrible about a judge making decisions. The alternative is to have a law hundreds of pages long that attempts to cover every single nuance and still fails.

Nor, of course, is it true that one must be able to carry a gun anywhere and everywhere. Shooting ranges? Yep. Hunting? Yep. CHURCH? Absolutely fricking not. And before anyone says "ah, but an armed man might burst into the church"... Yes, because you've already got a culture that says that having a weapon in church is acceptable rather than being a shockingly blasphemous act. That kind of encourages him, don't you think?

Anyway, whips are more Biblical.
A

Posted by AmyBo (# 15040) on :

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You've done all these things on public property, I take it? Use on private property is irrelevant.

I'm not arguing that a knife isn't useful. I'm mystified at the implied proposition that nothing else will do. It's not as if laws against knives are drafted WITHOUT thinking of the uses of knives, but that's why they allow ones that are either small blades or not readily concealed.

Half the things everyone is saying they use a knife for, I'm just staring at the screen and asking "have you heard of scissors?". I mean, opening packages? Do you think that the rest of us sit around our offices and homes, despairing because we can't think of a way to open a package?

I carry a knife with me all the time, in jbohn's pocket. [Big Grin]
Quite useful, and versatile, especially when one is out and about. I've seen him use it on public property quite a bit, too. It's a tool, nothing more.

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:

Get a skinnier fucking brush.

quote:
quote:

The subject of the bit you quote was somebody saving the day by being a gun-toting hero. What you gave evidence of is people shooting up places of worship. Do you have a case of someone stopping a shooting spree at a church with another gun? If not, then, no, this is not "not unheard of."

quote:
You've done all these things on public property, I take it?

Public and private.

quote:

The blade is about 7cm. Folded it fits in the change pocket of my jeans.

quote:
"have you heard of scissors?".

They do not fit in my pocket quite so well. There are scissors which will cut radiator hose, but they do not fit in my pocket.
One of the bandage incidents was a neighbor bitten in the shoulder by a large dog. Nicked an artery. I should have run gone in the house to look for scissors, he probably would not have lost too much blood.

Yes, I know most laws are thought through. You may have noticed my interaction with jbohn regarding UK knife laws.

Posted by Soror Magna (# 9881) on :

quote:
quote:
However it is difficult to draft a precise law which would not have unintended consequences.

Which is precisely the point - some in the US are concerned about the "unintended consequences" of further gun control...
And what exactly would those unintended consequences? And would they be any worse than the ACTUAL consequences of lax gun control?

I really hope that sooner or later, Americans decide that it's worth taking a chance on the black helicopters, because they are actually less scary than a 9-year-old girl killing an Irag & Afghanistan veteran.

Posted by luvanddaisies (# 5761) on :

quote:
My uncle, for instance, is a perfectly decent human being, and an NRA member. No contradiction there. No, don't say there is to be a smartass. He's a good person. He pays his dues to the NRA. Yes, someone can be both. Don't demonize people because some spokesfolk say nutty things.

I genuinely thought the NRA was an organisation for batshit crazy, teabagger, lunatic right-wing, violence-worshipping, self-obsessed, whackjob hypocrites. I honestly didn't think that any, well, normal-non-awful people were in it. I'd sort of assumed there might be another gun-owning association where all the non-fuckwits who owned guns congregated.
That's actually quite interesting. It had really and genuinely never occurred to me, which might seem silly. Thank you.

Why do the normal-non-awful people in the NRA let themselves be represented by something that seems so hideously grotesquely twisted? It must be cringeworthy at best any time they see the NRA pop up in the news.

You want to talk about unintended consequences of laws? Let's start with the current interpretation of the Second Amendment transforming a seemingly reasonable rule about enabling the formation of defence militias into an individualistic right. I bet you the drafters of the Second Amendment had no idea the first half of it would be completely ignored.

Switzerland's system of military service is basically what the USA was supposed to have. Instead you have millions of armed individuals with their own self-interests and zero regard for defending their country.

[ 29. August 2014, 03:17: Message edited by: orfeo ]

Part of why people haven't up and left the NRA (yes, there are a few other smaller organizations, but…) is that the NRA is the standard. They certify range instructors, set the standards for targets in the States, determine the curriculum (such as it is) for concealed carry permits, have ranges and training centers throughout the country, and do a bit of genuinely non-nutty legislative action and lobbying. There are very real and compelling reasons to belong to the NRA even if you think open carry is nuts and would never dream of packing heat in a bar or a church.

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

Yes. Mr. Lamb went to get certified as a range safety officer (Boy Scouts) and the only way to do it was through a program that involved joining the NRA. (I'm tediously trying to explain to him why wearing the baseball cap they gave him in public would not be a good look.

Posted by Soror Magna (# 9881) on :

LC: [Overused] [Killing me]

quote:

That'll be because you are full of shit.

The knife discussion - the equivalent for guns is being allowed to carry a very small pistol. Dubiously needed, but maybe acceptable.

The second amendment should be interpreted as allowing people to possess and carry weapons no more powerful or accurate than were available at the time it was drafted. Not semi-automatic machine guns.

I do, BTW, accept that there are many Americans who oppose the gun culture there. Good on you. Now get it changed.

Its like there are many men who oppose the rape culture - great, but we need to work towards changing the culture, changing those who consider rape to be acceptable.

quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:

I do, BTW, accept that there are many Americans who oppose the gun culture there. Good on you. Now get it changed.

OK I have penciled that in for next Tuesday, it all should be sorted out then.

Personally, when I have talked about rape culture, I don't think I have said I expected any one guy to sort it out himself. I have suggested guys who speak up have more impact than they think. Why are you shitting all over those who do speak up about gun control?

One can debate whether the knife laws in the UK are too draconian or not. But I object to the post which said 'Whatever became of the Britain that survived the Blitz?'

This is just a fucking stupid comment, as if Brits are all pussies now, because we got fed up with kids getting killed by knives. We should be tougher than that, eh, what's a few dead kids to worry about?

I carry a Swiss Army Knife with me. The largest blade, which I very rarely use, is about 3"".

It's a useful bit of kit.

Anything can be used as a weapon. I could kill someone with the 1.5" blade. I won't though.

It isn't the knife or the gun. It is the person wielding it.

If the US wants to stop sacrificing its own people then they need to remove the weapons from the dimwits. A gun instructor who gives an Uzi to a 9 year old is clearly a dimwit and has no business being near a gun. Evolution in action.

Posted by Erroneous Monk (# 10858) on :

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:
quote:

Which is the gun-lobby argument, that the more guns, the safer everyone is. In other words, UTTER CRAP.

You are right. I was trying to get all my rage into one line. It didn't work. Sorry. [Hot and Hormonal]

quote:
Carry IN PUBLIC. Read your own links. When's the last time you needed to open mail or slice sausages outside your own home? Seriously? You wander the streets just itching for the chance to cut through a stray envelope?

Fairly often, actually - if I take a sausage and a some bread along for lunch on a trip to the park or zoo, for instance. See lilBuddha's response for more info - beat me to the punch.

quote:

quote:
The subject of the bit you quote was somebody saving the day by being a gun-toting hero. What you gave evidence of is people shooting up places of worship. Do you have a case of someone stopping a shooting spree at a church with another gun? If not, then, no, this is not "not unheard of."

From the second link I posted (the Colorado church shooting):

"Later that afternoon, he attacked the New Life Church in Colorado Springs, Colorado, with a number of firearms, killing two more people and injuring three before being shot and wounded by a member of the church's congregation; he then committed suicide.[7]" (Emphasis mine)

quote:
One can debate whether the knife laws in the UK are too draconian or not. But I object to the post which said 'Whatever became of the Britain that survived the Blitz?'

This is just a fucking stupid comment, as if Brits are all pussies now, because we got fed up with kids getting killed by knives. We should be tougher than that, eh, what's a few dead kids to worry about?

It's a bit of hyperbole, but so is the bullshit it was responding to. I apologize if you found it offensive - the offense was directed primarily at the arsehole being responded to.

Posted by The Phantom Flan Flinger (# 8891) on :

quote:

What's wrong with Monday?

jbohn

No problems, mate, it's a difficult issue, and I don't think anybody knows what the solution is.

quote:
quote:

Personally, when I have talked about rape culture, I don't think I have said I expected any one guy to sort it out himself. I have suggested guys who speak up have more impact than they think. Why are you shitting all over those who do speak up about gun control?

That came over not quite as I intended. I was actually sincere - I meant it as an encouragement to speak up, get your voice heard. I should have STFU as usual.

It did strike me that if this girl had been hurt playing on a trampoline, the parents would undoubtedly have sued the manufacturer of the trampoline for not warning them that it was bouncy. I really cannot understand how a country that seems intent on suing the shit out of everything can still support children using live machine guns. People who need to be told not to use a toaster oven as headgear shouldn't be let anywhere near a water pistol.

And yes, I know this is not all Americans. I know from the ship that there are plenty of sensible people there.

But you do seem to do batshit crazy especially well.

And one thing Brits are good at is getting on their high horses and lecturing others, especially their colonies, about the Way It's Done in Proper Civilized Places.

See what I did there? I just took an unfair generalization and applied it to a whole group of people. Why don't you give this whole "apology" thing another shot, and see if you can do it without insulting anyone this time around?

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

quote:
quote:

Monday is Labor Day -- major holiday, signals the end of summer. We'll be busy eating barbecue.

quote:
jbohn

No problems, mate, it's a difficult issue, and I don't think anybody knows what the solution is.

Too true, that.

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:

Monday is Labor Day -- major holiday, signals the end of summer. We'll be busy eating barbecue.
Indeed. No work getting done then. This weekend, most folks hereabouts are headed "up north to the cabin". (To be read as "anywhere north of the Metro, to somewhere near/on a lake, ranging from a one-room shack to a mansion".)

I apologise if this post comes across as insulting or patronising; that is not my intention but this is one of those things that, while I sort of understand it intellectually, makes no sense at all at a deeper level.

Opinion poll after opinion poll shows that the majority of the American people, even the majority of NRA members, believe that the current regulations on gun ownership are too lax. But the elected representatives of these people will not pass any laws tightening gun control because they believe that they will not be re-elected if they do.

To me, that makes as much sense as thinking that a 9 year old girl with an Uzi could be part of a well-regulated militia.

Posted by Beeswax Altar (# 11644) on :

quote:
originally posted by Schrodinger's Cat:
It did strike me that if this girl had been hurt playing on a trampoline, the parents would undoubtedly have sued the manufacturer of the trampoline for not warning them that it was bouncy. I really cannot understand how a country that seems intent on suing the shit out of everything can still support children using live machine guns.

I never cease to surprised by how much Brits and Canadians think they know about the United States as compared to what they actually know about the United States. The same people calling for more gun control have no problem with suing gun manufacturers for every injury caused by a firearm. On the other hand, the people who want no gun control whatsoever support tort reform. Not true for every single American (what with there being 320 million of us and all) but it serves as a good rule of thumb.

Posted by cliffdweller (# 13338) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
quote:
It did strike me that if this girl had been hurt playing on a trampoline, the parents would undoubtedly have sued the manufacturer of the trampoline for not warning them that it was bouncy. I really cannot understand how a country that seems intent on suing the shit out of everything can still support children using live machine guns.

I never cease to surprised by how much Brits and Canadians think they know about the United States as compared to what they actually know about the United States. The same people calling for more gun control have no problem with suing gun manufacturers for every injury caused by a firearm. On the other hand, the people who want no gun control whatsoever support tort reform. Not true for every single American (what with there being 320 million of us and all) but it serves as a good rule of thumb.
hmmm... I'm American, and I'd say you're missing a step here. The people who support tort reform (i.e. limits on consumer products liability) are all for that until they have a problem. It's much like small government-- ya want small government/low taxes, but don't ya dare cut my medicare/ social security/ crop subsidy/ cherished "entitlement". Similarly, tort reform is the desired end goal but should not impede your ability to sue for $millions of pain & suffering when you're too drunk to not burn yourself drinking McD's coffee.

quote:
I apologise if this post comes across as insulting or patronising; that is not my intention but this is one of those things that, while I sort of understand it intellectually, makes no sense at all at a deeper level.

Opinion poll after opinion poll shows that the majority of the American people, even the majority of NRA members, believe that the current regulations on gun ownership are too lax. But the elected representatives of these people will not pass any laws tightening gun control because they believe that they will not be re-elected if they do.

To me, that makes as much sense as thinking that a 9 year old girl with an Uzi could be part of a well-regulated militia.

That's actually very simple to explain...

Gun laws very from state to state and even city to city. States with a large concentration of gun control supporters already have strict gun control laws. The issue is strengthening federal gun laws. For that, you need a majority vote in the House and likely a 2/3 vote in Senate because gun rights supporters will filibuster legislation. You also need a Democratic president. Now, let's say you are a US representative from a state where the majority of the people favor stronger gun laws but represent a district that opposes stricter gun control. You will vote to support your district. Suppose you are a Democratic senator from a state like Arkansas or West Virginia that opposes gun control. You aren't going to vote for more gun control out of fear that the people would vote you out at the next election.

Furthermore, opinion polls don't represent how serious voters feel about particular issues. Quite simply, many gun enthusiasts are close to being single issue voters. Gun control supporters are rarely single issue voters.

Lastly, some who support more gun control in theory but don't support actual bills that get drafted. Like jbohn said above, laws have unintended consequences. Many who would support more gun control don't trust the government to write laws that won't go further than they want to go.

Make no mistake about it. A majority of Americans do not want laws anything like the ones in the UK or Australia. All the NRA has to do is convince people that gun control supporters want to gradually place more and more restrictions on firearms until eventually the federal government decides to start confiscating people's guns. So, the NRA will oppose every single piece of gun control legislation proposed. Michael Bloomberg becoming the public face of gun control makes the NRA's job even easier.

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

Lord P was given the chance to shoot with an air pistol when he was old enough to hold it steady. His grandfather had some antique pistols, including a Colt, and my stepmother sold them after Dad died. Before they went, both Lord P and his cousin were given the chance to hold them, which gave us a good opportunity to talk about "gun ettiquette" - including not pointing it at anyone. Lord P wasn't even allowed to point toy, or even pretend, guns at anyone. It may seem harsh, but as we were speaking about this over tea tonight, he accepts that he now has a healthy respect for guns, and enjoys target shooting.
Learning to respect dangerous things doesn't stop you using them - he pointed out that when he checks over his chain saw, he makes sure that the cats are locked in, for instance.
Potentially dangerous things are not toys. A Uzi certainly isn't.

quote:
And one thing Brits are good at is getting on their high horses and lecturing others, especially their colonies, about the Way It's Done in Proper Civilized Places.

See what I did there? I just took an unfair generalization and applied it to a whole group of people. Why don't you give this whole "apology" thing another shot, and see if you can do it without insulting anyone this time around?

That was one of the more insulting apologies I've ever seen. It pains me to say thus, but SC has gone from someone I rather liked to someone I don't care to know at all. But what the hell, that's just the opinion of a knuckle dragging unhinged American. And a moustache growing femminazi to boot. No loss right?

But now I have new freedom- I get to call all Evos hate spewing flat earthers until they get Pat Robertson and the Phelps clan to shut up, despite what they might personally do, believe, or say. And I can chide any Ozzie about their participation in genocide until full reparations are made to the aborigines. ( I'm sorry, you seem like a nice person, but you do do racism pretty well, don't you?) Oh, and all French people hate Algerians, right?

Beeswax Altar, you're a better man than me.

Beeswax Altar,

Many thanks. That is the best and clearest explanation I have ever seen. I had forgotten to take the strength of feeling into account (or had underestimated just how strong it is).

In that case, there does not seem to be an easy solution to getting federal legislation through does there (for those who view that as desirable)? Turning gun control supporters into single issue voters is hardly a good thing...

Introducing controls on donations on election campaigns and political advertising, such as we have in the UK (which superficially looks like a good thing from here), is as likely as adopting our gun control regime.

quote:

In that case, there does not seem to be an easy solution to getting federal legislation through does there (for those who view that as desirable)? .

Yes, exactly, bingo, you got it.

Posted by The Rhythm Methodist (# 17064) on :

I thought this might reassure those who are concerned about gun culture....or perhaps not.

Posted by The Rhythm Methodist (# 17064) on :

Sorry - too many https...try this

quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
quote:
quote:

Which is precisely the point - some in the US are concerned about the "unintended consequences" of further gun control...
And what exactly would those unintended consequences? And would they be any worse than the ACTUAL consequences of lax gun control?

I really hope that sooner or later, Americans decide that it's worth taking a chance on the black helicopters, because they are actually less scary than a 9-year-old girl killing an Irag & Afghanistan veteran.

(Sorry hosts.)

Not. Going. To. Happen.

Not on a federal level, anyway. Bill Brady's dead.

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
hmmm... I'm American, and I'd say you're missing a step here. The people who support tort reform (i.e. limits on consumer products liability) are all for that until they have a problem. It's much like small government-- ya want small government/low taxes, but don't ya dare cut my medicare/ social security/ crop subsidy/ cherished "entitlement". Similarly, tort reform is the desired end goal but should not impede your ability to sue for $millions of pain & suffering when you're too drunk to not burn yourself drinking McD's coffee.

I call bullshit on large numbers of people like this existing.

And one difference between Beezwax and me is that, much as I support the right of small localities to set their own rules, I approved of the Heller decision.

Probably because I once lived in DC and there was a man who kept coming to my (glass) door to masturbate and I kept calling the cops and the cops kept not coming (some thought they were being sent to the wrong address; some said they were being given orders to reduce crime by not taking reports of crimes they didn't think they'd be able to solve). When all the military and cop types in my life told me to buy a gun because being legally screwed was better than being dead, I left.

Posted by art dunce (# 9258) on :

Gun facts by demographic . A demographic tidal wave is about to break on these shores that will change things. Look at the numbers on "protection" . It's whites freaking about about being washed to the margins. America is a very diverse country and people should be careful conflating the opinions of (for now the majority) whites with the total sentiments of this country.

quote:

quote:

I call bullshit on large numbers of people like this existing.

Seriously? I can't think of an efficient way to go about finding a measure so I guess we're at a standstill. But you appear to be viewing a much more optimistic slice of my fellow Americans than what I'm seeing from my pov.

(Xpost: this is directed at Art Dunce)

What an odd post. Especially considering the usual anti-gun position is that people who own or want to own guns legally are in the minority but have too much political power. Do you think there are no black or Hispanic gun owners?

And which happens first:

We get meaningful police reform, or enough (white) people start being so afraid of the police that they start purchasing guns to protect themselves (from other white people) as it's clear no one else is going to?

[ 29. August 2014, 23:38: Message edited by: saysay ]

Fuck off Say say you are not worth responding to.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

I'm a Brit and I carry a Swiss Army knife camping, hiking or when we're doing outside stuff with Girl Guides. I don't carry it into inner city London working with teenagers. The difference between hiking and camping is that a Swiss Army knife is a nice handy bit of kit that provides a lot of useful tools, even when it's only got a knife on it, in a form that fits neatly into a pocket and means you don't need to carry scissors and all the other specialist tools you might need in those situations.

And I grew up with guns too. Didn't really get into shooting, but I have done a whole lot of beating. I was taught to use a rifle prone before I was 16. We ate an fair amount of rabbit, pheasant, deer* and other shot food growing up. Just because most Brits don't see or handle guns doesn't mean that there isn't a gun culture here too.

* Legally - usually going out to shoot the deer we'd seen that had been badly poached and had a injured haunch, at the farmer's request, often as the spare person to drive it or help carry home.

Sorry, ss that was too harsh. This country is changing thank God and I'll be patient. No reason to be rude , though,

Slain gun instructor's family shows sympathy

quote:
"We just want to make sure they understand that we know it was a tragic accident and that it's something that we're all going to have to live with," Vacca's 19-year-old daughter, Ashley, told NBC's "Today" show.
I'd have preferred she say something like "We are so sorry that you encountered such completely piss-poor safety procedures at the range, and we are incredibly sorry that our relative was complicit in that."

[ 30. August 2014, 01:06: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

quote:
originally posted by JoannaP:
Introducing controls on donations on election campaigns and political advertising, such as we have in the UK (which superficially looks like a good thing from here), is as likely as adopting our gun control regime.

Wouldn't matter on guns.

Milwaukee Sheriff's Race

Bloomberg spent $150,000 in the Democratic primary to unseat the Milwaukee County sheriff and the guy still won. Milwaukee County hasn't voted Republican in a presidential election since 1956.

Posted by romanlion (# 10325) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
I'm a Brit and I carry a Swiss Army knife....

The Brit that cut Foley's head off carries a bigger knife than you.

You should consider a sword, the way things are going in your country.

quote:
quote:

quote:

From the second link I posted (the Colorado church shooting):

"Later that afternoon, he attacked the New Life Church in Colorado Springs, Colorado, with a number of firearms, killing two more people and injuring three before being shot and wounded by a member of the church's congregation; he then committed suicide.[7]" (Emphasis mine)

So then, not even a plurality of the links you posted actually said what you claimed? And you're positing this as disproving my point. Really.

quote:

May I introduce you to the concept of gerrymandering?

quote:
Make no mistake about it. A majority of Americans do not want laws anything like the ones in the UK or Australia. All the NRA has to do is convince people that gun control supporters want to gradually place more and more restrictions on firearms until eventually the federal government decides to start confiscating people's guns. So, the NRA will oppose every single piece of gun control legislation proposed. Michael Bloomberg becoming the public face of gun control makes the NRA's job even easier.

Because their primary constituency are fucking lunatics. I doubt very much that the majority of non-gun-nut Americans buy into the slippery-slope-to-gunless-Armageddon bullshit.

Nation Debates Extremely Complex Issue of Children Firing Military Weapons

quote:
Because their primary constituency are fucking lunatics. I doubt very much that the majority of non-gun-nut Americans buy into the slippery-slope-to-gunless-Armageddon bullshit.

I'm not an NRA member or current gun owner (though I did very much appreciate that my family and neighbors were the last time someone shot a cop and then tried to hide out on the mountain where I was staying).

Guns are the abortion of the right. You know how when anyone mentions any further restrictions on abortion portions of the left go batshit and oppose even reasonable restrictions on the basis that any restriction is a step towards overturning Roe v Wade? The NRA tend to get that way about guns.

The problem, as I see it, is that those people really do exist, and both groups use the existence of a minority to justify their stance. There are some people who want to see abortion banned. New Jersey's gun laws and the way they enforce them seem crazy to people who grew up hunting. I really have had (multiple) arguments with people who say that since the second amendment prohibits us from banning guns, we should simply ban the manufacture and sale of ammunition. I really have encountered people who have said that we should simply criminalize all gun ownership except by state officials.

Maryland managed to enact more sane gun legislation recently. It can be done. But at this point I don't think it's worth wasting time trying to do it on a federal level.

quote:
I carry a Swiss Army Knife with me. The largest blade, which I very rarely use, is about 3"".

It's a useful bit of kit.

Anything can be used as a weapon. I could kill someone with the 1.5" blade. I won't though.

It isn't the knife or the gun. It is the person wielding it.

That argument is as stupid on one side of the pond as the other. Anything which makes injury or death easier will cause more injury or death. The law attempts to strike a balance.
quote:

If the US wants to stop sacrificing its own people then they need to remove the weapons from the dimwits. A gun instructor who gives an Uzi to a 9 year old is clearly a dimwit and has no business being near a gun. Evolution in action.

And what of a 9 year old child who will likely suffer because of this? Who could likely have been the victim herself? And all the children who die through fault of their parents?
You laugh, likely because your wit is too dim to provide light for a night-vision camera.

quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
quote:
I'm a Brit and I carry a Swiss Army knife....

The Brit that cut Foley's head off carries a bigger knife than you.

Oh Fuck the Hell off. Using an unrelated tragedy in an attempt to score a point? Join deano and perhaps the your dim bulbs together might provide enough light to attract a moth. There will then at least be some sort of activity in your empty skulls.

[ 30. August 2014, 02:54: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

quote:
Guns are the abortion of the right. You know how when anyone mentions any further restrictions on abortion portions of the left go batshit and oppose even reasonable restrictions on the basis that any restriction is a step towards overturning Roe v Wade? The NRA tend to get that way about guns.

You list all the restrictions the several states have passed in the last 8 years on firearms, and I'll list all the restrictions they've placed on abortion, then we'll argue about your false equivalency.

quote:
Nation Debates Extremely Complex Issue of Children Firing Military Weapons

Bingo.

When Beeswax Altar says "people don't want laws like those in Australia", I'm wondering which laws he means. The ones that say children can fire guns at age 11 or 12? The ones that say they can do this under supervision and with small pistols instead of machine guns? Or the ones that say you have a legal duty to lock your weapons away and ensure that your kids and grandkids can't get to them?

quote:
Originally posted by art dunce:
Sorry, ss that was too harsh. This country is changing thank God and I'll be patient. No reason to be rude , though,

(Just getting back from the Purg thread) No, your instincts were helping you out there.

Boy, I just don't get folk who preen and congratulate themselves over condemning entire demographics in one stroke. Like doing that is remotely intelligent or enlightened. Please God she keeps the hell out of California.

(Sorry, to clarify, I was getting back from the "Republican Party" thread in Purg, not the gun one.)

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:

..... or we should consider arming everyone from the age of 9 upwards with a semi-auto weapon . Still not much use against suicide bombers though.

That's always the problem when humanity buys into violence, you never really know exactly where it'll end . Apart from the absolute certainty that an unspecified number of folk will indeed suffer death or injury because of it.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

UK laws on gun ownership means (in theory) to own any gun or ammunition the person requires a firearms or shotgun licence, application of which requires a referee and contact details of the GP (doctor) of the person applying. Part of the checking by the police includes a requirement that any guns are kept in a properly locked gun cabinet and a discussion about where the owner is going to use the gun.

The UK does have a problem with illegally owned firearms. I have worked in schools where a student brought a gun in and I'm sure that the current student I work with means it when he says he could. Guns are exceptional, knives are not.

And irishlord - I was trying to tell my fellow countrymen they were ignoring some of their own country's traditions. That offensive comment makes me wish I hadn't.

I should point out that I have had a discussion with Kelly Alves, clarifying what I meant. We have come to a conclusion best summarised in the words of my best friend*

"Cat - you are a fucking idiot"

Which I think sums the situation up completely.

*Imaginary, of course. I don't have any real friends. Going for the sympathy vote now.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Re the McDonalds coffee suing, the coffee in question was
superheated and the woman got 3rd-degree burns on her crotch, requiring skin grafts (I don't think she was drunk). I'm a Brit and I would have sued the hell out of McDonalds for that, and I hate it when it's used as a 'stupid Americans lol' argument.

quote:

Well, it's not a generalisation that is inaccurate.

The problem is you don't fucking listen!

It's because we in Britain CARE. Like any parent does when their children leave home, we still care. You may have left "home" (The Empire) but we still care and will continue to offer good advice. Pity you kids don't listen to your elders and betters. Oh well, you'll figure it out I'm sure but we've seen it all before.

Posted by QLib (# 43) on :

On behalf of all Brits, I would like to apologise. What can I say? I think he thinks he's being funny. [Hot and Hormonal]

quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
On behalf of all Brits, I would like to apologise. What can I say? I think he thinks he's being funny. [Hot and Hormonal]

ALL Brits? Since when do you have a mandate to speak for ALL British people? You don't speak for ALL of anything.

quote:
I should point out that I have had a discussion with Kelly Alves, clarifying what I meant. We have come to a conclusion best summarised in the words of my best friend*

"Cat - you are a fucking idiot"

Which I think sums the situation up completely.

*Imaginary, of course. I don't have any real friends. Going for the sympathy vote now.

And I admitted my childish " don't like you!" tongue-sticking act was just that. I apologize as well.- and I like you fine.

Oh, and thank you, Jade. I was too weary to take that one on.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:
quote:

ALL Brits? Since when do you have a mandate to speak for ALL British people? You don't speak for ALL of anything.
Pot, meet Mr Kettle.

quote:
I'm a Brit and I carry a Swiss Army knife camping, hiking or when we're doing outside stuff with Girl Guides. I don't carry it into inner city London working with teenagers. The difference between hiking and camping is that a Swiss Army knife is a nice handy bit of kit that provides a lot of useful tools, even when it's only got a knife on it, in a form that fits neatly into a pocket and means you don't need to carry scissors and all the other specialist tools you might need in those situations.

And I grew up with guns too. Didn't really get into shooting, but I have done a whole lot of beating. I was taught to use a rifle prone before I was 16. We ate an fair amount of rabbit, pheasant, deer* and other shot food growing up. Just because most Brits don't see or handle guns doesn't mean that there isn't a gun culture here too.

* Legally - usually going out to shoot the deer we'd seen that had been badly poached and had a injured haunch, at the farmer's request, often as the spare person to drive it or help carry home.

I wouldn't say that what you describe is a gun culture. I'd call it a culture in which guns play a part (just as I wouldn't describe people who were into say DIY as having a hammer and screwdriver culture).

quote:
quote:

superheated and the woman got 3rd-degree burns on her crotch, requiring skin grafts (I don't think she was drunk). I'm a Brit and I would have sued the hell out of McDonalds for that, and I hate it when it's used as a 'stupid Americans lol' argument.

I wasn't trying to reference that particular lawsuit. If I was, I would have linked, as you did. I was presenting a hyperbolic hypothetical example. Any resemblance to real life people was purely coincidental.

[ 30. August 2014, 15:34: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

Since you fully stated the premise of the lawsuit,including the defendant,it's weird you say you weren't referencing it.

[ 30. August 2014, 16:18: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

quote:
Since you fully stated the premise of the lawsuit,including the defendant,it's weird you say you weren't referencing it.

(shrugs) well, that wasn't my intent. Sorry for the misunderstanding. As you suggest, the actual McDonald's Real Life lawsuit you cite was not an example of the point I was trying (hyperbolically) to make.

(Shrug) perhaps you should't specifically reference stuff you don't intent to specifically reference.

But let us unite, brother, on a topic i know we agree upon-- saysay is a complacent, sneering, self impressed jackass.

quote:
(Shrug) perhaps you should't specifically reference stuff you don't intent to specifically reference.

Yes, it was a mistake to concoct a hypothetical example that resembled so closely to a real life example.

quote:

But let us unite, brother, on a topic i know we agree upon-- saysay is a complacent, sneering, self impressed jackass.

(sister) yes.

quote:
.But let us unite, brother, on a topic i know we agree upon-- saysay is a complacent, sneering, self impressed jackass.

Complacent? Self impressed?

Well, I never.

Jeez, maybe it's time to visit California again.

Such a change from being accused of being an outsider agitating for change no one wants with such low self-esteem it must come from a realistic assessment of no one worthwhile wanting anything from me (including my existence).

Out of curiosity, are you planning to have me beaten or arrested because I hurt your feelings? Because I'd like to be able to plan my day.

See, dude? She's doing it again!

As reliable as a water stain on a tenement ceiling.

And make up your mind, saysay,do you want to visit California or avoid it like the plague?

I think you should visit. There's plenty to do even if you hate most human beings, which is the impession I get. Half Dome has no abhorrent political opinions you need to worry about.

quote:

Out of curiosity, are you planning to have me beaten or arrested because I hurt your feelings? Because I'd like to be able to plan my day.

That ain't my thing, but we have plenty of specialty venues that will accommodate you if you are into that.

quote:

Oh God thank you. I hate having to explain that damn story that just keeps going and going and going. I'm used to it more in the US as a "stupid entitled people lol" thing from mainly right-wingers who think corporations should have no responsibilities.

quote:
quote:

That ain't my thing, but we have plenty of specialty venues that will accommodate you if you are into that.
That reminds me... God, I need to get out and have fun more...

quote:
quote:

Oh God thank you. I hate having to explain that damn story that just keeps going and going and going. I'm used to it more in the US as a "stupid entitled people lol" thing from mainly right-wingers who think corporations should have no responsibilities.
Yep, and to drag this back to the OP, it's usually the same people who view any gun control as a second amendment violation.

And neither seem to be the product of any moral stance, it seems to be who is in bed with who.

[ 30. August 2014, 19:14: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

quote:
quote:

And McDonalds got off EXTREMELY lightly! They put a warning on their coffee cups and settled out of court for less than $600k. They did not have to reduce the service temperature of their coffee and McDonald's policy today is to serve coffee between 80–90 °C (176–194 °F). It's perfectly fine for retailers to sell coffee as hot as or hotter than the coffee that burned the woman in question.

quote:

And neither seem to be the product of any moral stance, it seems to be who is in bed with who.

Yes, exactly-- that was the point I was (poorly) trying to make.

quote:
It's perfectly fine for retailers to sell coffee as hot as or hotter than the coffee that burned the woman in question.

As it should be. It's a bad thing to be handed scalding hot coffee when you're not expecting it. It is, however, a good thing to be able to purchase a scalding hot beverage if you want one, and it is also always a bloody stupid thing to put any kind of hot beverage in your crotch.

Ooo, so is this where I point out they asked for a cup holder and weren't given one? and the car they had was an older model that didn't have cup holders?

Or maybe we should go back to the OP.

I can't remember where it was, but somewhere in the USA gave me coffee that was impossible to hold for more than a couple of seconds. Just getting it over to the side where the milk and sugar were took a deep breath and some mind-over-matter concentration.

You're not just a gun culture, you're a scaldingly hot crappy-tasting coffee culture. [Razz]

[ 31. August 2014, 01:04: Message edited by: orfeo ]

Oh, go snog a wallaby.

But I'm gonna agree that I have gone to places where I can't hold a coffee cup without burning myself through the paper. meaning, the walk to the place where you get the cup sleeves leaves me with burnt fingers, unless I set the cup down on shelves or other patron's tables along the way.Oh, but that must be my fault for not walking around with potholders.

[ 31. August 2014, 01:15: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Oh and your description reminds me of that psycho G. Gordon Liddy sticking his hand in a Zippo flame. "the trick is not minding it."

See that is the kind of cultural icons the radical right hands us, people who declare one is a straight up pussy unless one hand-dips one's mug in a boiling vat to get one's coffee.

quote:
Oh, go snog a wallaby.

You might be surprised where that happens.

WOW, you came up with that video in a flash, dude! How many times have you clicked Replay? Just today? [Big Grin]

quote:
WOW, you came up with that video in a flash, dude!

I use this thing called "Google". It's the latest craze.

Riiiiiight.

Oh come on. You make it sound like finding a video of someone kissing a kangaroo is on a level of difficulty with identifying a street corner in Russia in that damn geo-guesser game. It was just dumb luck that the first person who saw fit to add such a video to Youtube was in Louisiana.

I can also find you kangaroos boxing, baby kangaroos swimming and kangaroos trying to drown dogs.

Or, you know, we could both go get a life.

[ 31. August 2014, 01:37: Message edited by: orfeo ]

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
It's perfectly fine for retailers to sell coffee as hot as or hotter than the coffee that burned the woman in question.

As it should be. It's a bad thing to be handed scalding hot coffee when you're not expecting it. It is, however, a good thing to be able to purchase a scalding hot beverage if you want one, and it is also always a bloody stupid thing to put any kind of hot beverage in your crotch.
Um no, nobody needs coffee hot enough to cause 3rd-degree burns and requiring skin grafts. Not hospitalising people is rather better than being able to get a cup of coffee hotter than boiling water.

quote:
quote:
Oh, go snog a wallaby.

You might be surprised where that happens.
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE

[Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder]

quote:
See that is the kind of cultural icons the radical right hands us, people who declare one is a straight up pussy unless one hand-dips one's mug in a boiling vat to get one's coffee.

There is a song about people who stir coffee with their thumbs.

Moo

Thanks Moo, one for the file there.

quote:

You're not just a gun culture, you're a scaldingly hot crappy-tasting coffee culture. [Razz]

I take offence at the "crappy-tasting!" I love the taste of McDonald's coffee and out of deep respect for my age and wisdom they sell it to me for only 50 cents. But it is dangerously hot and the woman was right to sue. I buy it, place it carefully in my cup holder, go shopping, return to my car, and drink it -- still a little too hot.
------------------

I also take offence at being asked to join a lynch mob against Saysay. I think she's one of the more respectful and polite shipmates.

quote:
quote:

I take offence at the "crappy-tasting!" I love the taste of McDonald's coffee and out of deep respect for my age and wisdom they sell it to me for only 50 cents. But it is dangerously hot and the woman was right to sue. I buy it, place it carefully in my cup holder, go shopping, return to my car, and drink it -- still a little too hot.
------------------

I also take offence at being asked to join a lynch mob against Saysay. I think she's one of the more respectful and polite shipmates.

Unless McD's coffee over the Pond is a lot better than the coffee they serve here, then it is crap.

Still, I'm sure that's worth another thread. Isn't this one about Burgers and Bullets?

Oh, dear God. The McD'd brew around here isn't coffee. It's a medicinal dose of caffeine. You know what all that superheating does, in addition to putting people in the hospital? It burns the coffee.

You're right. Sioni, although I think we can make a slim connection via right wingers who think people who suffer third degree burns are whiners.

[ 31. August 2014, 18:03: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Humm. Maybe it's the four shots of half and half that make mine so tasty.

OT, sort of: We have a local thing going on (Beaver Creek, Ohio) where the police shot a man in Walmart who was holding a toy gun. Al Sharpton is coming to town!

I blame the toy manufacturer for this one.

Yeah, we've got a man who somehow managed to shoot himself inside a police station while in police custody.

Definitely the toy manufacturer's fault.

(thanks, Shippies, for making me laugh - it doesn't mean I don't still hate you all, what with you being human and whatnot, but you may yet convince me that you have at least one redeeming feature).

quote:
...it doesn't mean I don't still hate you all...

Oddly enough, this made me like you a little.

Twilight just called you polite and respectful, though, I think you need to get your PR team on that.

It's amazing what people will write under the influence of bad coffee.

quote:
So then, not even a plurality of the links you posted actually said what you claimed? And you're positing this as disproving my point. Really.

You asked for, and I quote, "a case". I gave you one - from the links you implied did not contain one. End of. Though I understand that this information doesn't support your outrage and hysteria, and will thus be ignored. Whatever. Go pound sand.

Posted by Doublethink. (# 1984) on :

Posting to rage about this, if you are going to carry a concealed weapon - do it somewhere a two year old can't find.

Fucking tragic.

How do you recover from shooting your mother ?

Awful for the child and the rest of the family: the mother seems to have brought it upon herself.

Posted by Darllenwr (# 14520) on :

It begs the question, why was the safety off? Are you going to tell me that the 2 y.o. took the safety off before firing? Because, if you do, I'm going to ask how come it was that easy to take off?

But then I'm a Brit. I just don't understand why the need to carry concealed, loaded, weapons with the safety catch off. [Disappointed]

Obviously the safety shouldn't have been off. And I know v. little about guns and can't say how easy it would be for a two year old to disengage.

And this is total speculation, but...

you know, it really isn't normal for women to carry loaded guns in their purses to Walmart, mythology about the US notwithstanding. Makes me wonder if she had a violent ex after her. Because I've seen those situations, and that is the only case in which I can even imagine myself carrying a loaded weapon. Because orders of protection here aren't worth a shit.

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

I've only heard a brief radio account. Somewhere in my reactions, too, was "she brought it on herself". But yeah, she might have been in danger; she might have been so busy with all her kids that she just didn't/couldn't think; and maybe she even forgot it was in her purse. (Not a parent; but I know it can make you scattered and crazed, no matter how much you love your kids. Then there's the matter of how much stuff many of us keep in our purses.)

As to the safety, little kids like to play with things, and can figure out a lot. I'm not familiar with gun safetys, but that's one of the few things I'd like to learn about guns--where the safety is, how to tell if it's on, and how to put it on. If for no other reason that I might get confronted with a gun, some time.

It reminds me of a TV show that's periodically haunted me since childhood. It was one of those Sunday morning religious/spiritual shows that the broadcast networks used to run. (Maybe it was required, like the requirement to show some loosely educational shows?)

Anyway, it was a drama that went something like this: Young boy (grade school age) with gun confronts his mom, who's sitting on the living room couch. Boy is furious and bitter at her. IIRC, his brother had died, and he blamed his mom. She tried to lovingly explain that it wasn't like that. He shot her. The story ended there, but there was probably some mini-sermon afterwards.

I hope someone gets that poor boy and his siblings into therapy right away. (He's young, but could probably at least to play therapy, and get some of the horror and confusion out.) And if there's a father in their lives, him, too.

[Votive]

Posted by Doc Tor (# 9748) on :

I was about to berate DT for thread necromancy. However, we are on topic, and there indeed is nothing right about this.

Carry on, people. Carry on.

LC--

Re not being normal to carry concealed guns into Walmart: yeah, but this was in Idaho, and there are some extreme right-wing folks there. White supremacists, too.

Note to any Idahoans: I did say "some".

[ 30. December 2014, 22:47: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

Posted by Porridge (# 15405) on :

Would someone in some English-speaking country kindly offer me a job so I can emigrate there?

I'm a little past it for sheer physical/manual labor, but my communication skills are reasonably good (in American English), my hygiene is reasonable, and I do have some manners (Americans' reputations for this sort of thing notwithstanding), and I'm a pretty fast study.

Seriously, why the hell am I living in a country where a 2-y.o. kills his/her mother with the mother's own gun?

What IS this place? How did we get here? How do we get out?

quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
my communication skills are reasonably good (in American English)

Learn to spell and we'll talk. Although I think the Canadians might be okay with you as is.

I doubt it; I suspect Canadians prefer neighbours who go to the theatre (though frankly I prefer theatre to theater myself, but this is New England, where we still have a few of those).

And then there's fifty shades of grey (gray?).

Posted by Palimpsest (# 16772) on :

The Canadians get picky about older people trying to move in and snag health care. You can do it later if you also speak French.

I heard the Walmart story on the radio. What the newspaper article didn't say was that it happened in front of her other children. I'm amazed the toddler didn't shoot himself.

quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
What the newspaper article didn't say was that it happened in front of her other children. I'm amazed the toddler didn't shoot himself.

Dear Lord; I hadn't heard that. I can only hope the child is too young to understand what it's done.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
What the newspaper article didn't say was that it happened in front of her other children. I'm amazed the toddler didn't shoot himself.

Dear Lord; I hadn't heard that. I can only hope the child is too young to understand what it's done.
It won't be forever.

Went looking to see what the crazier end of the US gun rights spectrum thought of the situation. Found Patriot Wire--and believe it or not, they have the sense to say keep guns away from kids. (Some of the front page stories there... [Eek!] )

Found a group called Moms Demand Action For Gun Sense In America (MDA). Kind of like Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD). Their news page hasn't caught up with this story yet, but there's some good stuff.

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Went looking to see what the crazier end of the US gun rights spectrum thought of the situation. Found Patriot Wire--and believe it or not, they have the sense to say keep guns away from kids. (Some of the front page stories there... [Eek!] )

And, worse yet, the NSFW ads at the bottom. I really hope those are just because whatever spyware they use to stalk me thinks I have the same interests and appetites as the "typical" least common denominator late 20's hetero/cis male, but that's worse than what I see on sporting websites.

Also, you made me click on patriotnews. Now I'm really scared of what Google thinks I'm interested in, or that this is going to haunt my future run for Congress more than all the socialist claptrap I've been spouting to family members while visiting.

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

I can't think of any circumstances where a mother shopping with her children needs to have a gun (loaded or otherwise) in her handbag, but then I'm a Brit living in Canada, so I don't understand "gun culture" anyway.

How many similar accidents will it take for them to consider amending the regulations?

quote:
quote:

And, worse yet, the NSFW ads at the bottom. I really hope those are just because whatever spyware they use to stalk me thinks I have the same interests and appetites as the "typical" least common denominator late 20's hetero/cis male, but that's worse than what I see on sporting websites.

Also, you made me click on patriotnews. Now I'm really scared of what Google thinks I'm interested in, or that this is going to haunt my future run for Congress more than all the socialist claptrap I've been spouting to family members while visiting.

I got a foreground box asking me to click 'like' if I was sick and tired of a socialist President.

These people are funny.

Hmmm. I didn't get any ads or polls. But I have lots of stuff blocked--including Google.

Sorry for any NSFW stuff. There wasn't any when I read it. The front page has links to some crazy and/or offensive stories, but that's it.

Maybe make sure you clean out your Internet cache and recent cookies??

quote:

The NRA has a program called Eddie Eagle which teaches young children to stay away from guns.

Moo

No 'program' can exist to provide for the possibility of a 2 year old firing a weapon if they find one - particularly in a culture where gun use is portrayed so casually across the spectrum.

The burning question is: WHY would a 29 year old woman feel the need to carry a concealed weapon?

This is nothing to do with any 'right', this is just stupidity. Sympathy for the situation? Yes for the child but not for any of the adults - they're old enough to know that weapons can and do kill, regardless of the intent of the holder sometimes.

You did read the previous page of this thread? I'd put good money on her having a violent ex. Sadly, carrying a gun is the only way to have a chance against some of these people, particularly if you have children in danger with you. Because our protection system sucks (read: is basically nonexistent).

None of which excuses letting a two yo within grabbing distance of a gun, of course.

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
You did read the previous page of this thread? I'd put good money on her having a violent ex. Sadly, carrying a gun is the only way to have a chance against some of these people, particularly if you have children in danger with you. Because our protection system sucks (read: is basically nonexistent).

None of which excuses letting a two yo within grabbing distance of a gun, of course.

Taser ?

quote:
You did read the previous page of this thread? I'd put good money on her having a violent ex.

Yes, I read the part of the previous page where you said this was total speculation.

It's very NICE of you to try to construct a narrative where this woman has an even vaguely sane reason for carrying a gun, as opposed to being just another idiot, but it of course still requires her to ignore all the facts about how much likelier a gun accident is compared to a successful intentional use against this violent ex you've dreamed up.

It isn't nice; it's experience. We've had to help women deal with far too many violent exes showing up at work, in the grocery store, etc. There are the occasional men who have the same problem, too. And when I had a violent stalker to worry about, that was the only time in my life I ever considered carrying a weapon (though I went for a knife, having no gun skills). And yes, I had a baby to protect.

It just seems hard on the woman to be catching hell for this before all the facts are out. She's dead. Must she be automatically judged as stupid too?

quote:
She's dead. Must she be automatically judged as stupid too?

She had a loaded handgun (with the safety off?) within reach of a two year-old. Whatever else was happening in her life, that decision was very poorly made...

I'm with you and orf. Come on. We can regret her stupid, unnecessary death without just wholesale making shit up. And the phantom ex does nothing to make it less stupid and unnecessary.

Okay. whatevs.

Reading news reports we can learn the following:

1. She was not in an abusive relationship - she and her husband of 5 years were visiting relatives for Christmas.

2. She was a graduate employed in the nuclear industry so it is probably fair to say she wasn't unintelligent.

3. There would seem to have been harmonious relations with her in-laws since they have been full of praise for her as a person and as a mother.

Which all begs the question: why was she packing a weapon?

As for the child removing a safety catch - poppycock: a child of this age, especially a male child, won't have the small motor skills required.

The region where this woman lived has the highest rate of gun ownership in the USA.

<tangent> Is it just me or is the fact that her husband (now widower) is called 'COLT' slightly chilling?

First, it doesn't "beg the question," fuckwits. Learn what that actually means. Google will help you.

Second, as we've had to drag out time and time again each time someone looks to start a pond war...yes, people carry concealed weapons. It's what they do. Guns are just part of life in parts of the world. It's a personal security thing. When you hear "no woman should ever be without a gun for her own protection," you carry a gun. When you don't trust the local police to arrive on time—and, even if the station is around the corner, it'll still take them longer than you taking matters into your own hands—you carry a gun. When you see the stories The Liberal Lamestream Media Doesn't Want You To Know about criminals and shootings stopped because someone had their gun, you carry one too. If you think you can defend yourself, your family, and your community against evil and deranged people, you carry a gun. When you trust yourself and your family when it comes to protecting your own life from harm more than the nameless, faceless, and disinterested state—and, really, why shouldn't you—you carry a gun.

Mistakes happen. Sometimes you forget to set the safety catch. Sometimes you deliberately leave it off, because a mass shooter isn't going to politely put down his gun to let you take it off. There is a mindset in which all these things make sense, and you don't have to be stupid, deranged, or crazy to understand it. You just have to suspend your own judgmentalism and cultural parochialism and empathize with somebody else's point of view.

It seems to me that what we are seeing here is the practical outworking of a very old adage: "Familiarity breeds contempt" .

I'm thinking that, in the USA, the right to bear arms has gone beyond the level of an assumption to that of an axiom - and by that I mean something that is so common an assumption that nobody questions it any more. Axioms of this sort are mostly implanted by our parents during our up-bringing. In general, they are just the way that our family does things, which can lead to some slightly ridiculous situations later in life when you discover that something you had always thought of as "the way it is" was actually peculiar to your family. You never questioned it because why would you? It was obvious.

[Tangent] - potentially an issue for children bought up as Christians; it becomes axiomatic and thus is never questioned [/Tangent]

I'm thinking that carrying guns is axiomatic to many in the USA. It is just possible that carrying a loaded gun is axiomatic to some. The big problem is that, if it is axiomatic, it is very unlikely to be questioned.

And that I find worrying.

Posted by Dave W. (# 8765) on :

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Reading news reports we can learn the following:

1. She was not in an abusive relationship - she and her husband of 5 years were visiting relatives for Christmas.

According to the Washington Post, she received the purse, which had a special zippered compartment to hold a concealed weapon, as a Christmas gift from her husband last week.

So it seems like the "handbag" in question was a special purse designed for the concealed carry of a handgun (so the gun wasn't kicking around in the bottom of a purse with a bunch of other random objects.) It was a Christmas gift to the mother, so she wasn't familiar with it, and probably didn't have the habit of controlling its positioning that she would have developed over time - she was probably treating it as a regular purse, rather than a purse-cum-holster.

L'Organist--

Why in the world would being married mean that she wasn't in an abusive relationship? And why would post-death compliments from her in-laws mean they really believed that?
[Ultra confused]

I have no idea what was going on in her life. But the idea that being married means not being abused is boggling.

[ 31. December 2014, 19:11: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

quote:
Mistakes happen. Sometimes you forget to set the safety catch. Sometimes you deliberately leave it off, because a mass shooter isn't going to politely put down his gun to let you take it off.

IME Glocks are popular among the concealed carry crowd. They don't have an external safety.

(None of the news stories I've read have mentioned the type of gun).

Glock? You'd think these American patriots would buy made-in-the-USA weaponry. Turncoats.

I do wonder if the crazed mass murder is going to wait for you to unzip the special compartment in your handbag to retrieve and then aim your weapon.

[ 31. December 2014, 20:54: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

Posted by QLib (# 43) on :

There is no need to locate the stupidity in the individual. It takes a whole culture to be that stupid - by which I mean gun culture, not American culture.

This woman did something very stupid. She paid the price for it. The only mitigating thing is that it was she, rather than some random passer-by, who paid the price. Anyone who defends the practice of carrying a gun, concealed or not, on an ordinary shopping trip, absent a well-founded fear of attack andd perhaps not even then, is a fuckwit who lets their devotion to the poor drafting of some late-C18 windbags outweigh common humanity and common sense. End of.

quote:
There is no need to locate the stupidity in the individual. It takes a whole culture to be that stupid - by which I mean gun culture, not American culture.

Nice try, and thanks for that. But this American begins to wonder if there's a difference, and where it lies.

(NOTE: the following isn't directed at anyone from the Idaho family.)

To give you an idea of how...dedicated...some of the extreme gun rights folks are:

Several years ago, some of them were doing "open carry" of (supposedly) unloaded guns. I think there was a legal loophole, or something. Lots of TV news of people wearing guns, standing in line at Starbuck's. I think there were problems when businesses tried to ban guns on their premises. Whole thing freaked people out. The legislature banned open carry, except in certain cases.

As of April 2014, there's a push to allow open carry again. Some states do allow it. OTOH, the NRA is *against* it, and caught some flack for its stance.

To any open carry folks reading this: Get rid of the damn guns. If you won't, then build yourself another Westworld. Make it for ages 21 and over. Leave your kids with a responsible adult, one you've designated to be a long-term guardian if anything happens to you. Then take your guns and ammo (yes, you'll have loaded open carry!) and go off to Westworld. And leave the rest of us alone.
[Mad]

Sorry, left out that the open carry was here in Northern California.

What I find depressing is that we seem to revisit this particular debate with monotonous regularity - individuals from more 'civilised' nations observing (in varying degrees of stridency) that, "you cannot allow this situation to continue" and being met with variations on the theme of, "you will take our guns from our cold, dead, hands" - which merely sets the scene for the next such incident.

Congratulations, United States of America. [Roll Eyes]

Sooner or later, somebody is going to have to grasp the nettle and put a stop to the sorry business. Unless, of course, you actually like incidents such as commemorated in this thread. In which case, I'm none to sure that I want you as neighbours, even at 3000 miles remove.

Ok, Shipmates (TTBOMK) haven't generally said that in an approving way, Darllenwr. But "from my cold, dead hands" *is* the way many *other* Americans feel about their guns.

From what I know, it's complicated. Part of it is our American mythology: manifest destiny, pioneers, Old West, rugged individualism, "my home is my castle", "get the hell off my land", anti-governmentalism, and interpretations of that pesky Second Amendment to the US Constitution. Trying to ditch that will never work. But we *might* be able to tack on "And then...".

As to gun regulation: people have tried, over and over, to get it and make it stick. But legislators have voters, and many of them are pro-gun. Plus many legislators are in the pocket of the gun lobby. And then there are all the hate groups, militias, etc.

I don't know of any way to simply remove most of our gun culture. I can think of two things that might help: 1) the NRA saying, "Enough is enough! Things have got to change NOW" and making that commitment stick; and 2) some sort of anti-gun social media campaign going viral, kind of like the bucket of water charity campaign--maybe people could turn their guns in. Except turn-in programs generally involve giving guns to the police, and with the feelings about police right now...

[Paranoid]

quote:
Why in the world would being married mean that she wasn't in an abusive relationship?

So, wait, now we want to believe that she's being stalked and needs protection on account of her... husband who gave her the purse as a present last week.

There is recognising alternative mindsets, and then there is living in complete fantasy land in a desperate attempt to maintain a proposition that was based on nothing in the first place.

There is nothing whatsoever to suggest that this woman was carrying a gun because she was in some kind of dramatic domestic situation. She was carrying a gun because in that particular part of the USA, a heck of a lot of people, including women, are okay with carrying a gun. Let it go.

[ 01. January 2015, 00:05: Message edited by: orfeo ]

Sorry, orfeo; you might as well let the fantasies roll. We're just struggling to make sense of this appalling event; humans often suppose that if we can explain some godawful mess, then it becomes understandable, and therefore somehow controllable or preventable or at least squishable into some bizarre semblance of comprehensibility.

I don't live in Idaho. I don't carry a gun. I don't want to carry one. I don't want my neighbors to carry them, either, though I can't do anything to stop them. Apparently, about 1 in 3 households in the US has a gun on the premises.

I do live in a state where legislators have just decided they ought to be able to carry concealed guns on their persons during hearings and deliberations. I don't understand that any better than I understand why this woman was apparently habituated to carrying a gun in her purse. On the other hand, Idaho has also legislated -- despite opposition from all 8 college presidents -- concealed carry on public college campuses in that state (though some restrictions apply).

It just isn't comprehensible, but that rarely stops us trying to make it so.

The real tragedy here is that the Second Amendment seems to have been drafted as an effort to avoid maintaining a standing national army, and a subsequent Supreme Court decided to rule as though it were an individual right.

Or as though the NRA had the Court as well as the Congress in its pocket.

quote:
I don't understand that any better than I understand why this woman was apparently habituated to carrying a gun in her purse.

As I read it, the problem was that she wasn't habituated to carrying her gun in her purse. Before the new gun-purse, she used to carry in an underarm holster, which probably means that, although she was habituated to carrying a gun, she wasn't habituated to having the gun in her purse, which meant that she didn't keep appropriate control of it.

I don't think we need to call a dead woman stupid to explain things, but I also sure as hell don't think we have to malign a guy who just lost his wife to explain things. Good Lord. There is zero reasonto believe he was abusive, and as Orfeo demonstrates, a hell of a lot of reason not to.

I wasn't spinning what-ifs. I was just reacting to the plain statement that we know she wasn't being abused because she was married. That's all.

And I was also the one who pointed out that living in Idaho might be a reason. And said that if there was a father in the kids' lives, he'd need therapy along with them. I never trashed him.

Inside story of toddler at walmart describes the situation. Both the woman and her husband were raised in the country with guns and both habitually carried them and she belonged to the NRA.
Does your fantasy explanation mean the husband also carries because he's being stalked by an abusive ex that no one is aware of?

Approximately 7% of people in Idaho have carry permits.

[ 01. January 2015, 03:14: Message edited by: Palimpsest ]

Palimpsest--

If that's addressed at me:

I only said, when the topic came up, that she might have carried a gun due to being in danger. I didn't specify any source. I never said it was her husband, or even an ex. Just "in danger".

And, again, my surprise was at L'organist's bald statement: "1. She was not in an abusive relationship - she and her husband of 5 years were visiting relatives for Christmas."

Kindly stop blaming me for things I didn't say.

Kthxbai.

Golden Key

I was responding to the same post L'organist was responding to.

quote:
I wasn't spinning what-ifs. I was just reacting to the plain statement that we know she wasn't being abused because she was married. That's all.

Oh for heaven's sake, it was a statement in response to someone else's fantastical statement about an abusive ex. Would you stop ripping it out of context and acting like you're being terribly misunderstood. You're not being misunderstood, you just said something rather stupid.

I'm rewatching the West Wing (and other things) over my Christmas holidays.

Tonight I'm watching the episode 'War Crimes', which opens with the death of a young girl in a shooting in a church. A man came into the church to shoot his ex-wife, and missed. A parishioner with a legal concealed weapon returned fire, and also missed, but killed the girl.

I know it's fictional, but it's also very real. I've said it before in these conversations, but it just shits me so much that people who own guns or support gun ownership seem to live in a fantasyland where everyone aims carefully and with perfect knowledge AND only ever hits what they've aimed carefully at.

It's a basic failure of risk assessment. Just how likely IS an armed intruder or other person you genuinely need to aim a gun at? How many times in your lifetime can you expect that to happen? In most places the odds are really small.

But people who want to guard against that risk must carry a gun constantly, because they don't know when that risk might eventuate. To guard against a risk that occurs with rare frequency, they carry around a different risk - a device that can cause them serious injury - constantly.

This is precisely why you end up with stats that say only 1 firearm discharge in 23 achieves the intended result of self-defence. The opportunity for self-defence hardly ever arises, and even when it DOES arise your odds of achieving self-defence are far from perfect. But the threat of something going wrong is constant. You've put the means of a tragic accident in your home, or in your purse. Because of a fear of someone bringing a deadly weapon into your home against you, you've brought a deadly weapon into your home.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

Last summer a Roman Catholic priest was killed in Phoenix. An intruder broke in and assaulted a priest, who went to get a gun he kept "for protection." The assailant wrestled the gun away from him and shot a second priest who had come into the room. If the first priest hadn't felt a need to keep a gun in his room, his colleague would still be alive.

Then there's 9-year-old girl who accidentally shot and killed her firing range instructor with an Uzi.

It drives me crazy living in a part of the world like this (but I'm not about to move away either).

quote:
Originally posted by Darllenwr:
Sooner or later, somebody is going to have to grasp the nettle and put a stop to the sorry business. Unless, of course, you actually like incidents such as commemorated in this thread. In which case, I'm none to sure that I want you as neighbours, even at 3000 miles remove.

Surely recent history has shown that enough Americans are prepared to accept the risk of incidents like this rather than accept any restriction of their 'God-given liberties'.

orfeo: [Overused]

The link to the "inside story" above shows a sadly different picture of people NOT trying to make sense. I guess that's what it takes to be a "gun culture."

quote:
Sandow told The Post she often sees people with a gun cradled at their side. “In Idaho, we don’t have to worry about a lot of crime and things like that,” she said. “And to see someone with a gun isn’t bizarre. [Veronica] wasn’t carrying a gun because she felt unsafe. She was carrying a gun because she was raised around guns. This was just a horrible accident.”
If sense is to be made of her statement, Sandow could have added, ". . . which could easily have been prevented by not carrying a gun around and by not raising children around guns."

I can understand being comfortable around guns because she was raised around guns. But how the hell does that translate to taking them to Walmart? That's just too damn comfortable.

Someone raised around guns can enjoy firing them on the range, or using them on hunting trips, without having to pack it with them alongside the daily basics and the kids.

[ 01. January 2015, 13:58: Message edited by: orfeo ]

Rationally, if you do live in jurisdictions where firearms are readily available, you have to accept that not just tragic accidents happen, but also stupid accidents when drunk or drugged, suicides and murders and suicide-by-cop and killings by cops on civilians.

This isn't to say that living in jurisdictions where they're highly restricted are free of tragic accidents or stupid accidents or suicide or murder or whatever. I have some ridiculously sharp knives in the house for cooking, and have cut myself badly using them. A burglar could pick one up and use it against me. One of my kids could pocket one and take it to school. I make the judgement that having those knives on the counter is an overall benefit, despite the risks.

The statistics regarding gun fatalities in the USA are relatively well-known (despite the NRA trying to suppress them) and widely accepted. If you think gun ownership is so important that it's worth however many thousands of extra lives it takes every year, then just come out and say so.

Almost everybody accepts that the benefits of private cars outweighs the road accident cost, but it doesn't stop car advocates legislating for better safety.

It's interesting that London currently has about 4-6 gun murders a year; however, there are more knife killings than that, (about 50).

The police, naturally enough, are claiming credit for this low figure, along the lines that they are targeting gangs who may be carrying guns, they use stop and search, restrictions on gun ownership are now very tight, and so on.

However, tracing causation with such stats is notoriously difficult; for example, it's said that crime across Europe is falling now, but nobody really knows why, (also true in the US I think).

Because cuts in policing, so more no-criming and less investigation.

Though murders are easier to track.

[ 01. January 2015, 14:23: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

quote:
However, tracing causation with such stats is notoriously difficult; for example, it's said that crime across Europe is falling now, but nobody really knows why, (also true in the US I think).

As far as violent crime goes, I'd vote for banning tetraethyl lead, combined with increased sales of video game consoles.

It has been argued that the rise in pregnancy terminations means less children are raised in households that either don't want them or lack the ability to look after them - hence a larger proportion of children having appropriate parenting, and less anti-social behaviour as the children grow up.

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
Because cuts in policing, so more no-criming and less investigation.

Though murders are easier to track.

No: things like the British Crime Surevy are also showing falling crime rates.
I have heard that abortion thing suggested: also that - where property crimes are concerned- things like better car security systems and the cheapness of new consumer goods (so that the bottom has dropped out of the stolen goods market) have reduced opportunities for 'entry level' crime and made most burglaries etc not really worthwhile. But I don't think anyone has an explanation for the fall in violent crime. It might just be that this is a long-term trend and it's the more violent late C20, rather than the decreasingly violent (if you exclude the two major unpleasantnesses and their associated events) early-mid C20, which was unusual.

I was happy when growing up in New York City that it was hard for people to get gun licenses. When you shoot a gun in the middle of a modern city, the bullet is very likely to continue and go through a plasterboard wall and hit some bystander or someone walking down the block. Alas the drug trade and the NRA led to an increase in guns and gun deaths. The modern city is not a place for guns. As we see now, having guns to defend against the police makes the police more likely to shoot at any suspicion of a gun.

I can see a different situation if you live in the country and have to deal with wild animals or hunt, although hunters can be dangerous. Owning a gun has practical purposes in this situation, even if there's a risk of killing the gun owner or some innocent passerby.

Crime rates are falling in many places.
Part of it Is simple demographics. Violent Crime is often a young person's act. There are a lot fewer young criminals because there are a lot fewer young people relative to the Baby Boomers.

Posted by North East Quine (# 13049) on :

Originally posted by Albertus:

quote:
No: things like the British Crime Surevy are also showing falling crime rates.
I have heard that abortion thing suggested: also that - where property crimes are concerned- things like better car security systems and the cheapness of new consumer goods (so that the bottom has dropped out of the stolen goods market) have reduced opportunities for 'entry level' crime and made most burglaries etc not really worthwhile. But I don't think anyone has an explanation for the fall in violent crime.

I wonder if "entry level" violence is also dropping. Corporal punishment in schools was banned in the 1980s and there's been a steady reduction in the level of corporal punishment regarded as acceptable by parents to their children over the last, say 70 years? Women are no longer supposed to accept the Friday night after-the-pub black eye as a normal part of marriage.

There are young people today who have never been hit by their parents, have never seen one parent hit the other and have never experienced or witnessed teachers striking pupils at school. That would have seemed a utopian pipe dream when I was growing up. I was about seventeen when the belt was banned from Scottish schools and at the time it was hard to imagine how teachers could teach without recourse to corporal punishment.

In the United States
19 states still allow corporal punishment in 2014

Crime Rates of all sorts have been dropping for the last 25 years. While long term statistics are not particularly reliable it's hard to show a correlation with corporal punishment or police tactics.

Posted by mdijon (# 8520) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:

As far as violent crime goes, I'd vote for banning tetraethyl lead, combined with increased sales of video game consoles.
It's slightly entertaining to think about what is wrong with that analysis. I note the violent crimes per 100,000 line disappears in 2004. One would expect that they have the last 10 years data after all. Or is it that the plummeting trend in tetraethyl lead isn't matched by a more modest decrease in crime rates.

Then there's the lag they chose - 23 years rather than the nice round 20 years they chose in the article. A 3 year shift would make the graph much less compelling. There's no basis for any lag really unless a large amount of crime is committed in a 1-year age band.

I suppose I'm treating it all too seriously.

[ 02. January 2015, 09:24: Message edited by: mdijon ]

quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:

It's slightly entertaining to think about what is wrong with that analysis. I note the violent crimes per 100,000 line disappears in 2004. One would expect that they have the last 10 years data after all. Or is it that the plummeting trend in tetraethyl lead isn't matched by a more modest decrease in crime rates.
That's not such a terrible problem. After all, they're not claiming TEL is solely responsible for all crime.
quote:
There's no basis for any lag really unless a large amount of crime is committed in a 1-year age band.

Well, there should be some lag - after all, the theory is that early childhood lead exposure increases the crime rate when those children grow up, so the effects of changes in TEL certainly wouldn't show up in crime rates instantaneously. I agree that the relationship shouldn't look like a pure lag; age-specific arrest rates for violent crime rise quickly until about 18, then decline gradually, so I think the effect of TEL on crime should look somewhat like the TEL curve with a lag, but smeared out to the right. (Actually, that last bit is consistent with what you observed about the missing crime data from the plot - the age spread in adult criminality suggests that we shouldn't expect the crime rate to fall as abruptly as TEL itself.)

As for treating it too seriously - why? Is there something else that makes you find the whole argument implausible?

quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
As for treating it too seriously - why? Is there something else that makes you find the whole argument implausible?

Yes;

quote:
After all, they're not claiming TEL is solely responsible for all crime.

Crime in a society is so hugely multifactorial that it seems fanciful one could detect a correlation with a single cause in this way. And human behaviour so complex it seems equally fanciful that one agent could have such a consistent and precise an effect.

And by the way one can't really be testing a hypothesis by looking for correlation if one says "look, a correlation" when the two go together and "oh well, there are other causes" when the two don't. Whatever the argument, it isn't appropriate to censor the last 10 years data, especially if it's the least convenient bit of the data for the hypothesis.

[ 02. January 2015, 15:02: Message edited by: mdijon ]

quote:
quote:

Yes;
quote:
After all, they're not claiming TEL is solely responsible for all crime.

Crime in a society is so hugely multifactorial that it seems fanciful one could detect a correlation with a single cause in this way. And human behaviour so complex it seems equally fanciful that one agent could have such a consistent and precise an effect.

Fair enough - I've been known to argue from personal incredulity myself. But do you have specific objections to the elements of the argument, though? E.g. TEL couldn't have gotten into the blood, lead blood levels weren't high enough to matter, early exposure isn't associated with adult problems, that sort of thing? Presumably if you sprayed enough lead into the environment, you'd expect to see some behavioral effects in aggregate statistics, wouldn't you?
quote:
And by the way one can't really be testing a hypothesis by looking for correlation if one says "look, a correlation" when the two go together and "oh well, there are other causes" when the two don't.

I believe I was agreeing with you that the effect of lead probably shouldn't be expected to look exactly like the TEL curve with a simple 23 year shift; the seeming appearance of a very close match may well be spurious, but it hardly invalidates the concept.
quote:
Whatever the argument, it isn't appropriate to censor the last 10 years data, especially if it's the least convenient bit of the data for the hypothesis.

This article from Chemical and Engineering News has a plot which extends the violent crime data out to 2012; as you noted, the decline in violent crime in the last decade has been noticeably less steep than the corresponding drop in lead levels 23 years before.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dave W:
Fair enough - I've been known to argue from personal incredulity myself. But do you have specific objections to the elements of the argument, though?

It was a bit more reasoned than just unjustified personal incredulity. I don't feel any need to go through the specifics that someone proposing the argument would need to check to show it was plausible on those grounds.

quote:
I believe I was agreeing with you that the effect of lead probably shouldn't be expected to look exactly like the TEL curve with a simple 23 year shift; the seeming appearance of a very close match may well be spurious, but it hardly invalidates the concept.

It's almost certainly spurious. It isn't remotely plausible that the rise from 5 to 25 crimes per 100 thousand over 30 years of cultural, societal, law enforcement and government change can be associated specifically with a single environmental pollutant out of all that complexity.

No it doesn't invalidate it, the point is a) that this supplies no evidence in favour of the hypothesis and b) whoever produced that graph for the BBC site was being rather selective in the information they showed. Perhaps there are reasons why the graph on the right hand side doesn't show a good match, but it would have been more honest to show the data and explain it rather than censor the presentation.

quote:
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dave W:
Fair enough - I've been known to argue from personal incredulity myself. But do you have specific objections to the elements of the argument, though?

It was a bit more reasoned than just unjustified personal incredulity.

I didn't say it was entirely unjustified - I like to think my personal incredulity isn't completely arbitrary, either.
quote:
I don't feel any need to go through the specifics that someone proposing the argument would need to check to show it was plausible on those grounds.

Certainly not - it's a free internet.
quote:
It's almost certainly spurious. It isn't remotely plausible that the rise from 5 to 25 crimes per 100 thousand over 30 years of cultural, societal, law enforcement and government change can be associated specifically with a single environmental pollutant out of all that complexity.

Your position is perfectly understandable.

[Killing me]

quote:
I didn't say it was entirely unjustified

But can you engage with it? Or just say "that's your opinion" and leave it at that. Do you actually think the proposed link is plausible?

[ 02. January 2015, 18:02: Message edited by: mdijon ]

This Mother Jones piece discusses how much of the crime from 1965 to 2010 in the US is attributable to the usual sociological causes and how much is not explained by those causes. The difference, the steep rise and subsequent fall in crime which drugs, guns, poverty, etc do not explain, may plausibly be attributed to lead poisoning.

quote:
[Killing me]

quote:
I didn't say it was entirely unjustified

But can you engage with it? Or just say "that's your opinion" and leave it at that. Do you actually think the proposed link is plausible?
Well, I was trying to engage with it (your incredulity, that is.) That's why I asked if you had any specific objections to the argument that widespread poisoning of the environment with a neurotoxin known to cause developmental problems might show up in aggregate measures of behavior. Apparently you've got nothing - or at least nothing you "feel any need" to share. (And I'm the one who's not engaging?)

So where's the lack of plausibility? Just waving your hands and insisting that behavior is very complex doesn't make a very compelling argument. The human body is very complex, and cancer is a complex disease with many causes - but I think most of the variation in male death rates from all cancers here comes from the lung and bronchus cancers here, which in turn are pretty well connected to per capita cigarette consumption here.

But it would be ridiculous to suggest that much of the variation in cancer deaths could be "associated specifically with a single environmental pollutant", wouldn't it?

quote:
And human behaviour so complex it seems equally fanciful that one agent could have such a consistent and precise an effect.

This sentence makes no sense whatsoever.

Yes, human behaviour is complex. It's complex because it's the complex interaction of a very large number of factors.

But you seem to be saying that for some reason this means that the effect of any one factor is also complex. And that's just nonsense.

You can't reason that a complex outcome must come from complex individual parts. The very basis of the machines we make is that it's possible to do very complex things with SIMPLE individual components if you can correctly figure out how to combine the components. The basis of your own nervous system is that the interaction of a bunch of fairly simply-firing neurons can create something far more complex than each neuron in isolation.

The kind of reasoning you're proposing would conclude that because there are billions upon billions of possible positions in the game of chess, the rules as to how the pieces move must be incredibly complex.

quote:
Yes, human behaviour is complex. It's complex because it's the complex interaction of a very large number of factors.

But you seem to be saying that for some reason this means that the effect of any one factor is also complex. And that's just nonsense.

No, not what I'm saying. I'm saying that once you have a multifactorial outcome you are unlikely to detect the effect of one cause on outcome via a statistical association. That doesn't mean a priori that one cause can't be important, it does mean you can't infer something from two lines following each other in a time series graph.

I think Dave W's cancer illustration makes my point. This graph looks reasonable convincing. Lung cancer is not all that complex in causation - it is overwhelmingly linked to smoking. However add in all the other cancers which are less related to smoking and you get this which is less convincing in following the smoking decline. Because you have diluted out the signal with cancers caused by other things. (e.g. stomach cancer showing a very different decline and leukemia showing an increase here.

I suggest that human behaviour is likely to be an order of magnitude more complex than the acquisition of a few mutations in a particular cell line. Now I'm not saying this proves lead contamination has no effect. What I am saying is that this makes it very unlikely that an 80% increase can be attributed to lead. It is overwhelmingly much more likely that a society changing to produce more lead is a society changing to produce more crime and the two are confounded. That doesn't exclude a plausible relationship, it does however mock the idea that the graph on the BBC news site was at all informative in telling us that there is a relationship.

[ 03. January 2015, 03:58: Message edited by: mdijon ]

So yes, a significant link between TEL and violent crime is, in fact, plausible - or at least you have no reason (beyond your own unsupported feelings about the complexity of behavior and the likelihood or not of behavioral attributions, and your antipathy to one particular graph) to think that it isn't. Thanks!

Lots of stuff is plausible. The argument I made to start with and have stuck to was that the BBC website had a dishonest representation of data that wasn't remotely informative. Thanks.

Yes, it's now apparent that you've got nothing but an objection to one plot, but when I asked if there was "something else that makes you find the whole argument implausible" you said yes without explaining, then later didn't "feel any need" to detail your specific objections to the elements of the hypothesis. I suppose I shouldn't have got my hopes up. (I knew I should have asked what that "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here" sign was all about...)

quote:
However add in all the other cancers which are less related to smoking

Or not related to smoking at all.

I still don't think you really understand your own argument. Because this isn't about trying to prove whether smoking causes lung cancer, it's about already knowing that it does and observing how gradual removal of that cause affects overall outcomes.

Of course crime is multifactorial, but when you've got a factor where knowledge about its presence or absence is so damn easy (measuring lead levels is not remotely difficult), and the medical effects of lead are well known, it isn't nearly as difficult as you suggest to check out whether or not there's some kind of correlation between lead levels in the population and behaviour.

This isn't about establishing that lead is bad for you. We already know that it is. It's not a case of creating a "impaired functioning from lead contributes to crime" hypothesis out of thin air. In fact, if someone said that the known medical effects of lead FAILED to translate into any changes in behaviour, that would be the surprise.

And you're basically arguing the logically equivalent position: you're arguing "we won't be able to see any benefits from removing lead from the environment". Well, why the hell won't we? Were all the doctors and scientists who noticed that lead did bad things to people wrong, then?

[ 03. January 2015, 08:22: Message edited by: orfeo ]

There must be similar populations that haven't been exposed to lead to the same extent. Yet again, more research is needed but hands up all those who thought burning stuff with lead, then discharging it into the air, was good idea? Good for petrol powered I/C engines but not much else.

quote:
I still don't think you really understand your own argument. Because this isn't about trying to prove whether smoking causes lung cancer, it's about already knowing that it does and observing how gradual removal of that cause affects overall outcomes.

Of course it isn't. I think you don't have the faintest idea what I'm arguing.

The point isn't whether lead has known medical effects or not (which are much less clearly in favour of establishing a causation of crime than you imply) or whether with a careful analysis of particular cases and various effects on the population we can or can't discern a benefit.

My point was a very narrow one, namely that with an undiscriminating analysis of crime was can't expect to see a convincing time-series trend attributable to variation in one single factor. That's what I was illustrating with the cancer argument. If you look carefully at one type of cancer with a very strong relationship with smoking you see an effect of reduced smoking. If you add in various other types of cancer, with their different causations, you reduce your ability to see it amid all the noise.

This isn't to do with arguing for a changed underlying reality, it's arguing that we are hubristic in thinking we have an ability to see it with a particular crude epidemiological analysis.

You're doing your darndest to depict it as crude, you mean.

Two lines on a graph: one for all violent crime cases, one for lead pollution 23yrs ago, no adjusting for age, no further subcategorization of crime, no other societal trends... what would you call it if not crude?

quote:
Two lines on a graph

Like this, you mean?

Some differences;

i) No censoring of a possible inconvenient bit of data.

ii) Representing concentrations of a single chemical rather than people with underlying diversity

iii) No need for a slightly arbitrary lag (varying from the reasoning used in the text)

iv) Extremely tight fit over the whole of the time series.

So similar in some respects, not in others. The difficulties in studying people compared with chemicals is instructive.

quote:
Two lines on a graph: one for all violent crime cases, one for lead pollution 23yrs ago, no adjusting for age, no further subcategorization of crime, no other societal trends... what would you call it if not crude?

So your objection is to the simplistic reporting you read, not the actual research. There is plenty being done. If you're truly interested in this topic, you might look into it.

© Ship of Fools 2016