Thread: Any colour as long as it's black Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=029058

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

We were driving home the other night and Darllenwr said that most cars he saw these days were either black, grey or silver. This started me looking at the cars we passed, and sure enough, nearly all of them were dark colours - if not black, then dark blue, dark grey, dark purple, dark green, or white, grey or silver. The few exceptions seemed to be red. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it purely a "pond" thing? Is it regional? Does it say anything about the state of the country?

Posted by Doublethink. (# 1984) on :

It says a lot of people don't seem to care if they are visible in fog or twighlight - I find tarmac coloured vehicles especially hard to understand.

Posted by Og, King of Bashan (# 9562) on :

At least in the States half of all cars are silver, white, or black, in descending popularity.

The article suggests that we tend to associate silver with cutting edge design; no wonder luxury cars are almost always silver in advertisements.

There is also the consideration of resale value. That school-bus yellow car may look good to you, but if you ever need to trade it in or sell it, you are likely to get less for it than you would if it were black or silver.

What I want to know is, why was aqua blue discontinued as a color? You see lots of old pickups that seem to never move from driveways in aqua blue, but I don't think you will see it on a car that is less than 30 years old.

Posted by Leorning Cniht (# 17564) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:

The article suggests that we tend to associate silver with cutting edge design; no wonder luxury cars are almost always silver in advertisements.

For a while I've been wanting to park identical cars in different colours in a car park, and measure the temperature rise inside the cabin. I'm curious as to how much worse a black one really is.

I think because aqua blue is, like surgical appliance pink, strongly associated with catheters bedpans and other worrying objects.

Posted by Lyda*Rose (# 4544) on :

In SoCal white is pretty big, although people still often buy dark colors. The difference between black and white is notable when you come to get into your car which has been sitting out in the 90F sun for a few hours. Black and dark colors might be a good choice in a land where temps are chilly much of the year.

A sample parking lot in Los Angeles.

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

I've noticed this: blues, black, silver, reds and endless variations on grey. Very rarely green. Never brown.

I'm not one to talk: in the last 23 years we've had two black cars and the current one which is, apparently, 'Midnight Sky' - ie a slightly lavenderish dark grey.

Do you not worry about visibility ?

[ 06. July 2015, 20:51: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
In SoCal white is pretty big, although people still often buy dark colors. The difference between black and white is notable when you come to get into your car which has been sitting out in the 90F sun for a few hours. Black and dark colors might be a good choice in a land where temps are chilly much of the year.

A sample parking lot in Los Angeles.

Thought that LC's experiment must have been done. So did a Google search and found that California actually considered banning black cars because the extra heat causes extra AC use, therefore more pollutants in the air.

Posted by Firenze (# 619) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
Do you not worry about visibility ?

Only to the extent of finding it again in the supermarket car park.

Posted by geroff (# 3882) on :

I drive a bright red vw polo now - because I didn't want another silver car. And I used to drive one of these in green like this one. and a vicar I know drives one of these - which is several colours

[ 06. July 2015, 21:34: Message edited by: geroff ]

Posted by Hedgehog (# 14125) on :

There is also the issue that the car companies limit the available colors. Two cars ago, I really wanted a green car, but green was not an option, so I went with grey.

Then some years later I was in the market for a new car and this time got a nice forest green. I loved it! When that car wore out, I was astounded that the vehicle type I wanted came in a grand total of 4 colors: White, Red, Grey and Black. That is all. It is no wonder to me why it seems like there is no variety in car colors: no variety is offered!!!!

Posted by North East Quine (# 13049) on :

I think most cars here are grey or silver, followed by dark blue or black. There are very few bright coloured cars.

Posted by churchgeek (# 5557) on :

Around here, white can be a visibility issue - in winter! I was always advised to avoid white or black, for visibility reasons. I've never had a choice, though - I've only ever bought used cars from private sellers. My first was scum green (an '81 Reliant), my second, burgundy, my third, gunmetal grey, my fourth, white, and my current car is burgundy again.

I've always been amused by that Henry Ford quote (in the thread title), and always think about the 12-pack of different shades of black markers I still have somewhere...2 or 3 variations based on how jet black of a black it was, and the rest were things like brown-black, blue-black, red-black... As anyone knows who (like me) tends to dress mostly in black, it's really hard to match blacks!

So I guess if I had a choice, I'd opt for any of those off-blacks. You know, the shimmery paint that looks black but has a sparkle of another color in it. I live in the city, so visibility's not an issue for me at all. Plus, when it's dark out, I use headlights. [Razz]

I have always gone for red where possible (though had bright metallic green for a while) as I fear being rear ended in bad weather. If I could flouresce like I used to on my motorbike I'd be happier.

Actually, it turns out what I really want is a chrome Lamborghini with gull wing doors.

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

Nephew Person came home with his first ever motorbike - all black, he tends to wear black clothes and also has a black helmet. I have suggested that he gets some reflective tape bits stuck on at various places.

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

I recently took delivery of a new Toyota Yaris in what they describe as Island Blue

Posted by RuthW (# 13) on :

As Lyda Rose says, white and silver cars predominate here in So Cal, and there are not a few black cars as well, plus the very light green Priuses and I hate them all. I drove a bright red Honda Civic for years, and recently replaced it with a new Honda Fit which the manufacturer thinks is Mystic Yellow Pearl and which I think is daisy yellow. It's very cheerful looking! And I can find it in parking lots.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

I’ve been wondering that for a long time – why buy grey cars? They look cheap and the colour is nondescript. And there are so many! I looked out on our car park this morning and counted 11 grey and white cars and one coloured car (mine). Go into any car park and the greys and blacks all look dull and similar.

Life is too short to waste it driving something boring. Get yellow if you want to feel a bit of sunshine (or you just like custard), drive something that reminds you of a purple aubergine, sky blue to remind you of holidays in the Mediterranean, red for a bit of vibrancy, orange simply for the fun of it, green for those enjoyable weekends you spend in the countryside. Let it be a bit of a fantasy and a colour that makes you feel good looking at it. You may be spending your time driving to work on a dreary route so why not perk yourself up a bit? There’s too much drabness around.

Posted by Spike (# 36) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I’ve been wondering that for a long time – why buy grey cars? They look cheap and the colour is nondescript.

They are also harder to see when it's pissing down with rain.

Posted by Sandemaniac (# 12829) on :

In my case, because it was available and I could get a bike in the back.

AG

Posted by Drifting Star (# 12799) on :

I read a while ago that silver was the most popular colour with people buying new cars, but the least popular with people buying second hand cars. Red, I think, was the most popular for second hand buyers. Maybe people buying new cars are fixed on the (clearly incorrect) idea that neutral is a good way to go.

I sat in a car dealership last year with a very large colour chart on the wall, and counted something absurd like 30 different shades of silver/grey/champagne out of a total of around 50 colours.

When I bought a new car about 6 years ago there was a very limited colour range - silver, dark grey, blue, red and black. If I had wanted silver I could have had a car within days. Black or dark grey would have taken two months. Red would have taken 4 months, and they weren't guaranteeing that. I think blue was about the same as black, but I disliked the specific shade and didn't take much notice. I wanted red, but was already without a car, so I chose black and put up with the inconvenience rather than having silver without the inconvenience.

Posted by Jane R (# 331) on :

Ours is metallic blue. We always buy used cars, but normally have a bit of choice over colour. We never worry about the resale value, because we keep the car until the garage bills to keep it in running order exceed the value of the car itself, then trade it in for the scrap value and buy another used car.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

My family had a salmon pink Citroen for a while. It was very, xerxes visible in all condition, to policemen too. My parents had more tickets driving that car than any other and decided visibility wasn't all it is cracked up to be.

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

I've noticed that France is much more conservative than the UK in car colours; dealers often stock a smaller range of hues. I would have liked one of my previous cars in metallic blue or a rather nice burnt orange available in the UK, but couldn't get it here.

As has been mentioned, cars in nondescript colours are easier to sell (but harder to find in car parks). I was won over by being advised that silver was the best colour to conceal dirt.

In an interesting tangent, it seems that lime yellow is actually more visible than red, and some places took to painting their fire engines in this colour on that basis. The problem (or so I hear) is that people think fire engines should be red, so fail to see fire engines painted any other colour anyway.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

In my experience, black cars show dirt much more than white cars. This is counterintuitive, but true.

Moo

Posted by Latchkey Kid (# 12444) on :

As black reflects little, dirt on it may reflect light like stars in a black night sky.
Stars don't show up in daytime. Yes I know the daytime analogy is poor.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

My dad always bought black - any other colour was 'unmanly'!

Posted by Brenda Clough (# 18061) on :

I have agitated for years for more fun car colors. Purple! Orange! Teal! I own a Celica of the brightest possible red.

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

quote:
... why was aqua blue discontinued ...

I imagine it's just a matter of fashion - my dad bought a Volvo estate in that colour in 1971, and even then it wasn't exactly common. By the time we sold it 16 years later it was rare indeed.

Our last car but one was a small silver saloon, and it seemed to us at the time that so was everybody else's.

We bought a new Nissan Micra in pillar-box red a couple of months ago, and, as they've only just become available in Newfoundland, it still has rarity value and is easy to find in car-parks (assuming that someone hasn't parked something bigger* in front of it) ...

This is actually the first car we've bought where we've really had a choice of colour (we usually bought second-hand or end-of-season), and although we always said that we wanted a black car, we decided that it was nicer in red; it's rather cute, and black would have been too serious. [Smile]

* a Mini, perhaps [Big Grin]

[ 07. July 2015, 16:07: Message edited by: Piglet ]

The older Nissan Micras are prone to fun colours. I see one around locally in a pale strawberry pink, another in gold, a third in bronze, and a couple in soft mid-green, as well as the more usual colours. Volkswagen Beetles are also often colourful - and often seem to come with a large artificial flower on the dashboard, which is an enjoyable touch.

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

I have a white Skoda. For visibility (snow not being likely, and my going out in it less so), and also because, not being metallic, it will be relatively easy to touch up any scratches.

I've had silver, chocolate wrapper purple, dark green (supposedly British Racing Green, but not quite), rust orange, turquoise, cream, pale blue and my first car was white, too.

Posted by Pomona (# 17175) on :

There was a real aqua-blue Ford that was the inspiration for the flying one in Harry Potter.

My dad was an engineer for Peugeot before the UK plant closed, so we had a company car in most of the colours. My favourite was the crystal green, a metallic mint green colour. My mum now has a bright yellow 106 called Daisy, decorated with ducks inside.

Posted by Bene Gesserit (# 14718) on :

Looking out of the study window, most of our neighbours' cars are very much in neutral colours. One neighbour has very recently bought a mustard yellow new-style Fiat 500, which really stands out from the crowd. We just haven't figured out which neighbour it is!

And us? We don't have a car so can be disinterested observers in the car fashion stakes. [Razz]

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
... why was aqua blue discontinued ...

I imagine it's just a matter of fashion - my dad bought a Volvo estate in that colour in 1971, and even then it wasn't exactly common.
He wasn't head of a direct grant grammar school in West London was he? [Paranoid]

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

We don't see so many grey and silver cars down here in South Wales, but that's probably because it's always raining (or at best overcast) and the drivers of these cars rarely put the lights on.

If the vehicle is silver/grey and a german make, there's bugger all chance of the lights being on, until the stars are visible.

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
... He wasn't head of a direct grant grammar school in West London was he? [Paranoid]

No - you're quite safe. [Big Grin]

Ariel's right - little fun cars like Micras, Fiat 500s and VW Beetles (especially the original ones) look good in colours that would be deeply naff on bigger cars, although I'd draw the line at the pink convertible Micra that Richard Hammond tested on Top Gear.

I must confess to a desire to get black spots painted on ours to make it look like a ladybird ... [Hot and Hormonal]

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
I must confess to a desire to get black spots painted on ours to make it look like a ladybird ... [Hot and Hormonal]

When I was younger, I dreamed of having a red VW Beetle and painting black spots on it!

You can, very cheaply, buy stickers to stick on your car. The nice thing about this is that when you are tired of the ladybird effect you can take the stickers off.

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
You can, very cheaply, buy stickers to stick on your car. The nice thing about this is that when you are tired of the ladybird effect you can take the stickers off.

True, but they wouldn't have the same effect on my white sedan (even though it is a Volkswagen).

Posted by St. Gwladys (# 14504) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
We don't see so many grey and silver cars down here in South Wales,

Sioni, we live about 20 miles from you (the right side of the Bridge), and we see lots of grey or silver cars - in fact, our car is grey.

quote:

I've actually seen that - someone drove past me in one of those a few weeks ago.

There is one thing about the pink convertible - it might get laughed at but it's much less likely to be stolen.

Posted by churchgeek (# 5557) on :

quote:
There is one thing about the pink convertible - it might get laughed at but it's much less likely to be stolen.

Nah. Some Mary Kay lady who wants people to think she earned the famous pink car will hotwire that thing in a heartbeat!

Seriously, though, people don't steal cars for their own use. Often it's to strip for parts and/or metals; and if the car is a new car, the airbags will be a hot item! Usually if they just want the driver's side airbag, they'll break a window and steal it and leave the car alone. But cars now have air bags all over the place, don't they?

I like the daisies, myself.

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

quote:
At least in the States half of all cars are silver, white, or black, in descending popularity.

I thought it was that silver blends in with the freeway and lets you hide from the cops better. [Big Grin]

My friend's wife is into this craziness. (not her pictured)

Posted by Barnabas Aus (# 15869) on :

Here in Australia, you can accessorise your Nissan Micra or Toyota Yaris with black plastic headlight surrounds in the shape of eyelashes. The current model Yaris is also offered in a shade of pink reminiscent of raspberry fool.

In our household Mrs BA has a sunflower yellow Hyundai, for visibility reasons in carparks and on the road, having been hit in our pillarbox red Ford by a young driver who claimed not to have seen her. My 4WD is a champagne colour, which seems to be offered in several vehicle brands here.

Posted by Beethoven (# 114) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I like the daisies, myself.

I don't need to buy the pawprint stickers - I have two cats to provide the real thing...! [Big Grin]

My car and the one before are both silver/grey - but that's because they've been hand-me-downs from the parentals. By choice I'd have something much brighter [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
My friend's wife is into this craziness. (not her pictured)

How does that cope in a car wash??

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

There were studies done here 50 or so years ago which related the colour of cars to the suburbs where the owners lived. The results showed that while there were suburbs where the chosen colours (strictly wrong, I know) were white, black, dark green or blue, grey* or beige** were predominant, there was a large swathe of suburbs where cars were red, bright green, bright blue and yellow. This led to the description of those suburbs as "coloured car suburbs", in a far from complimentary manner.

These days, the closest equivalent would be the jelly bean coloured cars and utes, but a revision of the study would be interesting.

*This in the days before the all but compulsory metallic grey for German cars and those copying them.

**I can recall a Punch article where upwardly mobile people were advised to purchase a beige Rover (in the P4/P5 era) as a sign or respectability.

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
My dad always bought black - any other colour was 'unmanly'!

I think this has something to do with it, seriously. You'll notice the most popular colors are the ones you see on men wearing suits? Even the red = power tie.

Posted by Graven Image (# 8755) on :

My uncle would only buy black cars. When he died my aunt traded in his large black car for a small blue one. Nobody said a word. [Smile]

Posted by Rowen (# 1194) on :

Remote, rural state in australia. Rough and rugged mountain roads. Heaps of four wheel drives.

White is THE colour, for visibility I think. Very few black cars.... Too hot, and can't see them.

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

You can buy the eyelashes for cars here in the UK too. Also skulls, daisies, paw prints and spots, not that I've taken pictures of them that I've posted anywhere.

Posted by Jante (# 9163) on :

WE drove from Derbyshire to Wales and back last week and I commented on exactly the same thing- only black, dark grey or silver cars with the occasional white or red, much less rainbow coloured than of old!

quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
quote:
We don't see so many grey and silver cars down here in South Wales,

Sioni, we live about 20 miles from you (the right side of the Bridge), and we see lots of grey or silver cars - in fact, our car is grey.
I'm sure there are many grey and silver cars, but my point is that one doesn't see them because they are all but invisible in rain and murky weather.

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

quote:
Volkswagen Beetles are also often colourful - and often seem to come with a large artificial flower on the dashboard, which is an enjoyable touch.

The one I really liked was a midnight blue Beetle that had lightening bolts painted on it. It was called the Lightening Bug!

My car is bright yellow. Yes, people have laughed at it, but it's very easy to find in parking lots. A long time ago, Daughter-Unit and I thought it would be nice to paint stripes on it to make it look like a bumble bee.

This article seems to contradict what we've all observed, wherever we live.
quote:
A new study finds that orange, brown and yellow are the colors men have developed a strong preference for over the last year. Women, on the other hand, remain wedded to traditional gold, silver and beige.

Strangely enough, I've recently seen two quite new-looking bright orange cars, but doubt they're local. If it is a new trend, it certainly hasn't caught on in a big way so far.

Just looked out at our car park: out of the 15 cars parked there, 10 are grey or white. [Snore]

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
This article seems to contradict what we've all observed, wherever we live.
quote:
A new study finds that orange, brown and yellow are the colors men have developed a strong preference for over the last year. Women, on the other hand, remain wedded to traditional gold, silver and beige.

Orange, brown and yellow? Eek! Are we on for a return to the seventies?

The Fiat 500 quite often seems to come in brown, as does the truly hideous Kia Soul (which also comes in a ghastly snot-green, as if it wasn't repulsive enough already); I won't link to a picture as I'm just not that unkind.

[Devil]

[ 11. July 2015, 23:28: Message edited by: Piglet ]

Posted by Cathscats (# 17827) on :

Over the past few years I have leased my cars, to get something reliable. What amazed me was that when recently it came time to change, it was actually £10 a month cheaper to have the red than any other colour! I love red, and why, over 4 years, would I pay £480 pounds more for a more boring colour? [Confused]

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
"A new study finds that orange, brown and yellow are the colors men have developed a strong preference for over the last year. Women, on the other hand, remain wedded to traditional gold, silver and beige."

Just looking back on this, I can't remember the last time I saw a gold car.

Posted by Drifting Star (# 12799) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Cathscats:
Over the past few years I have leased my cars, to get something reliable. What amazed me was that when recently it came time to change, it was actually £10 a month cheaper to have the red than any other colour! I love red, and why, over 4 years, would I pay £480 pounds more for a more boring colour? [Confused]

I suspect the other colours would have been metallic or pearlescent, which always adds a lot to the cost. I don't understand the appeal either - I'd rather have a nice non-fancy colour even before considering the cost saving!

Ariel, I was looking at a gold car at a car dealer yesterday. It was very pale gold, though, and Starman, whose colour vision isn't the best, thought at first that it was silver.

Mm, the Daily Mail disagrees with the other article linked to above.

Posted by jedijudy (# 333) on :

Ariel, I saw this in your link:
quote:
Many motorists believe lighter colours are the safest because they are easier to spot on the road: ’Yellow, white and then red topped the poll for safety. In bad light some colours are easier to spot than others hence the importance of using your lights when visibility is poor. The AA itself uses yellow vehicles to enhance visibility of the patrols’ vehicles.’
One would think a bright yellow car would be very visible. Maybe, maybe not! Some bozo bumped into the back of my car (no damage) the day I brought it home from the dealer! Granted, the young man was probably distracted or drunk or something. He took off and ran right after the bump. If there had been a scratch on my car, I would have been after him like a shot!!!

Then, about five years ago, I was run into twice in the same week. For heaven's sake. You can't see a bright yellow car?

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

They were blinded. [Big Grin]

Seriously, I'm not so happy with white cars, as you can't see them too well against snow.

Also, every speck of dirt shows up on a white car.

quote:
Also, every speck of dirt shows up on a white car.

Sorta, kinda, but no. I've owned both black and white.* And, from 3 metres or more, the white car appeared cleaner than the black car for ~ the same filth level.
In my subjective opinion, silver looks the cleanest. It has the refectivity to obscure dirt from a distance and is similar in tone to the average grime to hide it from close observation.

*and silver and Red and yellow and orange-ish red and a lovely baby blue.

If you mean that silver doesn't deteriorate because it looks dirty in all conditions under any light, you're right. It looks good when lacquered and polished (like the US Air Force c 1950's) but otherwise, deeply unimpressive.

Posted by Mere Nick (# 11827) on :

There used to be a practical reason for buying black cars a long time ago, at least according to a former boss from Buffalo NY. Black cars heat up better from the sun than light cars and would take longer to rust.

Until very recently red as a car color tended to fade in the sun. They have done studies, and the most visible color under all weather conditions appears to be a light green.

quote:
If you mean that silver doesn't deteriorate because it looks dirty in all conditions under any light, you're right. It looks good when lacquered and polished (like the US Air Force c 1950's) but otherwise, deeply unimpressive.

Didn't say I was a fan of silver cars. It is as boring a colour as white or brown. There are a few vehicles which have managed to make those choices work, but they are rare.

Posted by rolyn (# 16840) on :

quote:
I'm sure there are many grey and silver cars, but my point is that one doesn't see them because they are all but invisible in rain and murky weather.

I changed my works van from white to silver and straight away noticed that other drivers couldn't see me as well.

Resorted to putting white/red sticky tape on the outside of the wing mirrors. The effect was startling.

© Ship of Fools 2016