Thread: The Germanwings disaster and the (inexcusable) modern desire to go out with a bang Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=029121

Posted by stonespring (# 15530) on :

I'm working with incomplete information here because we don't really know what was going through the mind of the Germanwings co-pilot's mind when he locked the pilot out of the cockpit during his bathroom break and then proceeded to fly the plane into a mountain. The authorities and the media seem to be assuming that he did it deliberately so far, but we don't have any idea of his motivation yet. He seems to have been regularly checked for physical and mental health and seems to have appeared completely normal and stable to everyone who knew him whose interview I have read. There also do not seem to be any indications as of yet that there was any terrorist motivation to the crash. However, it is still very early in the investigation.

What worries me is that there seems to be a growing trend in multiple countries and cultures for people to end their lives catastrophically in a way that kills many others in the process. Some of these people are terrorists and some are mentally ill (some are both). There are suicide bombers and people who go on shooting sprees and shoot themselves in the end (or hope the police shoot them). A man in South Korea in 2003 killed himself and over a hundred others in a subway fire. I was surprised to read that there have been multiple instances over decades of ordinary commercial pilots of multiple nationalities intentionally crashing planes (for reasons that remain unknown). Some people are targeting specific individuals or a specific group of people to kill while others don't really care whom they kill as long as they get to bring some people along with them.

Perhaps this wish to go out in an orgy of death can be identified in all periods of history. But something seems different about just how common this kind of violence is. I don't think people are all out copying each other but this kind of going out with a bang is increasing on people's mind as an "option" - an immoral option, but hey, our minds are full of plenty of other immoral options like old-fashioned murder and rape already. It reminds me a lot of the explosions, fireballs, etc., that I grew up with in video games, cartoons, superhero and action movies etc. In this kind of media, buildings, cities, even planets can explode and hundreds or millions of CGI-animated people can drop dead or be vaporized around the hero (or antihero) while s/he escapes unharmed (or if it is his/her turn to exit the plot, s/he gets to "go out like a badass").

I'm not proposing any kind of censorship - I doubt any would even work - and I really like watching my world-ending-explosions, superheroes destroying cities while they battle bad guys (remember when superheroes saved cities?) and pew-pew-pew-bodies-falling-everywhere action movies. And I LOVE hitting the shoot button as fast as I can with a video game controller and hoping that works (I'm too lazy to come up with another strategy). It obviously is a huge jump from fiction and games to actually killing oneself and others. But I think that the temptation to cause mass destruction - especially now that we can envision the technology to do it, or at least can envision using the technology we have at hand to do something like it - is something we all have gnawing at us in the back of our minds, some more than others, and that it is something worth talking about.

[edited thread title]

[ 27. March 2015, 05:37: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Posted by romanlion (# 10325) on :

quote:
Originally posted by stonespring:
But I think that the temptation to cause mass destruction......is something we all have gnawing at us

You got a mouse in your pocket?

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

stonespring--

This isn't aimed at you, just at something you brought up.

I think we don't really *know* the cause of anything yet. The co-pilot may well have been the cause of the crash. But investigators and media are reasoning from very little information; and sometimes the wrong conclusion is reached.

Different circumstances, but a guy named Richard Jewell was widely blamed for the Olympic Park bombing. Turned out he was innocent. But the damage was done, and he later killed himself.

And that, and some other incidents, left me a little queasy about deciding quickly who did what. I know the cockpit of that plane is a much more confined situation, and things may well be the way they look.

I just think we should be a little careful.

I'm mulling over the rest of what you said. [Smile]

Posted by Eutychus (# 3081) on :

quote:
if it is his/her turn to exit the plot, s/he gets to "go out like a badass"

Like Samson?

Posted by Garasu (# 17152) on :

I'm sure there must be a good reason, but why does flight information get stored in a black box that goes down with the plane rather than being beamed somewhere else?

A lot of information already is.

I'm not technical enough to get the details right, but for instance, the change in altitude settings in the cockpit in the recent disaster has been confirmed by ground tracking even without recovery of the flight data recorder (see here).

Since the loss of Air France 447 over the Atlantic, there have also been moves to have more data fed back in real time; the problem as I understand it then beecomes one of bandwidth.

While these measures may help understand some details of what happened, though, they are pretty much useless when confronted with the human factor. Debate over how best to mitigate the latter rages on pilots' forums. One insightful comment is that security concerns appear to have overtaken safety concerns, which is not a good thing.

My observation is that the trend is to pour resources into technical solutions because these are easier to quantify (and thus account), whereas investing more in human resources would be more productive overall. There is a similar trend in a field I'm much more familiar with - prisons.

Posted by Boogie (# 13538) on :

This news made me shiver, my son is a co-pilot flying A320s.

I can begin to imagine what this man's family are going through. They will never live normally again. Added to their grief at the terrible loss of their son will be his unthinkable actions. Did he not think of them, at least?

Maybe something else happened and it was not his fault - but it seems unlikely, he would have spoken to air traffic control if there were a problem his side, also the door would have been openable if he wanted it to be.

My son flies for Easyjet and, as from today, two people will be in the cockpit at all times. How a cabin steward would have been able to stop a determined suicide attempt, I'm not sure. But do doubt more training will now take place plus new ideas about door security.

[Frown] [Votive]

It has to be said that many European carriers have already long had the policy EasyJet is just loudly adopting - Ryanair for instance. And I think it's been SOP in the US for much longer. The thinking is safety-oriented, as well as security-oriented.

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

Boogie I remembered that one of your sons was a pilot and was thinking of you.

Air New Zealand has brought in the rule of two crew on the flight deck at all times too (previously they only had it with flights seating 90 plus people),

Huia

[ 27. March 2015, 06:17: Message edited by: Huia ]

Re the black box:

After that flight from Malaysia totally disappeared, there was a lot of discussion of that, IIRC. I think it was something along the lines of the basic technology exists, but the industry is slow to put new things in planes--preferring to trust known tech. But maybe they could do boxes that both store the info *and* beam it to multiple different places--the more copies, the more chances that one will survive. And if the signal does get through to multiple place, then someone can track back from all the signals to find the point of origin.

Re Boogie's comments about what may have happened in the cockpit:

I can think of other possibilities: someone else was in there; if the door lock is electric, then it might have been hacked, and same with the altitude setting; and maybe the co-pilot wasn't able to speak, for some reason. Maybe he became sick, and crashed into the door and the instrument panel.

I'm not saying any of those things *did* happen--just that something may have happened that the authorities haven't figured out yet, and it's probably tempting to settle on a likely-seeming explanation that settles things more quickly than some other air disasters.

FWIW, YMMV.

Correction: Richard Jewell died of natural causes. I either misremembered, or was misinformed. Sorry.

Posted by Barnabas62 (# 9110) on :

The alternative explanations don't really hold water, GK.

Like you, I'm generally nervous of rapid judgments in advance of full consideration of all the evidence. But Bruce Robin, in charge of the independent French investigation team, has made the case very clearly.

The clinching argument concerns the locking of the cabin door from the inside to prevent the pilot unlocking it from the outside, using a touch panel and a code. For security reasons, that system can be over-ridden from inside the cabin by activating a locking mechanism. I've seen that mechanism. It requires two deliberate actions to engage and the design of the mechanism means it cannot happen by accident, such as falling on the control panel.

There will be forensic evidence from the crash scene to support the current assertion that there was only one person in the cabin and that was the co-pilot. On site investigators will have provided a preliminary view, subject to possible/probable DNA confirmation. And there is the audio record, which tells a very clear story.

M Robin's assertions do not look in any way like a premature announcement or some kind of convenient "stitch-up". The evidence released to date is very impressive. As has been M Robin's presentation of it.

This is an awful situation for all grieving relatives. Including the parents of the dead pilot.

[Votive]

Posted by mr cheesy (# 3330) on :

It seems to me that the best information we have points to a monstrous form of mass murder.

But questions do remain:

Wouldn't a person doing this want to tell everyone why?
Wouldn't he at least speak to ground control moment before the crash?
Wouldn't he say something (anything) to be recorded on the data recorder?

These seem to suggest that something very odd was going on and that it does not seem to fit within the 'usual' parameters of a terrorist incident.

I guess maybe such things will emerge with time - it would be very odd if there turned out to be no explanation.

Anyway, it seems to me that either we have a mass-murderer of some complexion, or we have some kind of massive conspiracy by persons unknown.

Either way, scary stuff.

Posted by orfeo (# 13878) on :

But no-one is framing this as terrorism. The investigating authorities have explicitly said they have no evidence of this being terrorism.

I would also hesitate to call this mass murder, although I also acknowledge the Marseille prosecutor's hesitation to call it suicide given that suicide doesn't normally involve taking 149 people with you. But it is very much a question of where his mental focus was: did he have intent to kill others while accepting he would die in the bargain, or did he have intent to kill himself and not care sufficiently about the lives of others?

As to the suggestion earlier in the thread that investigators are working from limited information, I really don't think that's true. This is whole purpose of black box recorders, to maximise the information available. They have records of the plane's movements, but more importantly they have sound recordings. They can hear the calls from the control tower being received. They can hear the banging on the door. They can hear the co-pilot breathing.

The only possible situation where this isn't deliberate is him somehow becoming completely incapacitated after (1) putting the plane into descent, and (2) locking the door. I'm not clear on whether locking the door is normal procedure when one of the pilots has left - it might be, given the whole purpose of the secure door post-9/11, but some of the commentary on this particular flight has not given me that impression. But there is no operational explanation for making the plane descend.

[ 27. March 2015, 08:23: Message edited by: orfeo ]

Barnabas--

Thanks for the info and perspective. I was just coming here to post a NY Times article on how the lock works.

One thing I'm not clear on: do the two steps for opening the door from the inside *both* require manually working the lock? Or is one electronic and one manual?

Re whether someone else was in the cockpit: you said that forensics could clear that up. I was thinking that, given the speed of the crash and how the plane shattered [Eek!] , any remains would've been thrown far from the plane--and the cockpit seats might be pulverized.

As to the audio record telling "a very clear story", I found a brief summary on the PBS "Newshour" site:

quote:
The prosecutor described the flight’s final 10 minutes. He said the captain left the cockpit, perhaps to use the bathroom, leaving the co-pilot alone at the controls to start the plane’s descent.

The captain is heard pleading to be let back in, but there is no response, the only cockpit noise, the sound of the co-pilot breathing normally, with passengers heard screaming just before the moment of impact.

If the only noise is the co-pilot's normal breathing, ISTM that doesn't necessarily mean any more than that he was conscious. And it seems like there wasn't a sound from locking the door from the inside. Maybe it was too quiet. I don't know.

Horrible thing, whatever happened. [Votive]

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
But no-one is framing this as terrorism. The investigating authorities have explicitly said they have no evidence of this being terrorism.

I heard that - and they also said it wasn't suicide.

But they also said that the pilot appeared to have destroyed the plane deliberately.

My question then is how exactly they are defining terrorism and/or suicide such that killing a plane full of people and oneself isn't it..? If it isn't murder or terrorism, what is it?

quote:
I would also hesitate to call this mass murder, although I also acknowledge the Marseille prosecutor's hesitation to call it suicide given that suicide doesn't normally involve taking 149 people with you. But it is very much a question of where his mental focus was: did he have intent to kill others while accepting he would die in the bargain, or did he have intent to kill himself and not care sufficiently about the lives of others?
There seems to have been deliberate actions which prevented the other pilot from entering the cockpit. As far as we know (which, of course, might be totally wrong but appears to have come from the investigators) the person at the controls was conscious and was in full control.

Deliberately flying a plane into a mountain (if that is what happened) is clearly murder, and arguably terrorism. Whatever his mental health was at the time does not change that.

quote:
As to the suggestion earlier in the thread that investigators are working from limited information, I really don't think that's true. This is whole purpose of black box recorders, to maximise the information available. They have records of the plane's movements, but more importantly they have sound recordings. They can hear the calls from the control tower being received. They can hear the banging on the door. They can hear the co-pilot breathing.
I think the point is that it is a chaotic audio situation and they are giving preliminary conclusions which may not hold up to final scrutiny. For example, perhaps, it might be proven later that the pilot fell into a coma and that the door jammed.

Of course, I don't know anything about it, but presumably there is a reason why crash investigators do not normally release details this quickly after a crash.

quote:
The only possible situation where this isn't deliberate is him somehow becoming completely incapacitated after (1) putting the plane into descent, and (2) locking the door. I'm not clear on whether locking the door is normal procedure when one of the pilots has left - it might be, given the whole purpose of the secure door post-9/11, but some of the commentary on this particular flight has not given me that impression. But there is no operational explanation for making the plane descend.
I think you lack imagination.

The door could have malfunctioned.
The guy could have been under hypnosis
He could have been having a heart attack and accidentally pressed the door button

Etc and so on.

Of course, I don't know and you don't know what is feasible and what is impossible. This is why there are professional accident investigators.

The TV report I saw from inside a similar cockpit showed a toggle switch, guarded by protective housing. In order to engage it in the lock position, two mechanical operations are required.

1. To pull upwards positively on the toggle to release it prior to engaging the lock position. The toggle cannot be simply pushed into the lock position without that preliminary upward pull.

2. Then to push the toggle to the lock position, which is one of three positions the toggle may take.

This isn't one of the two normal setting. It is designed to be used only in the eventuality that hostiles are outside the cabin and have obtained the code for unlocking from outside.

I suppose one might argue that the mechanical release mechanism (stage 1) might have failed. But the plane received its last maintenance check one day before the fatal flight so that seems highly unlikely, given current focus on cabin security.

So far as forensics are concerned, it seems highly likely that the locked bulkhead door would have both survived the impact and also provided a marker for the remains of the pilot cabin. Crash scenes are incredibly gruesome, but it would be very unusual not to have evidence of cabin occupancy in the tangled cabin wreckage. Also, finding and investigating the cabin site would be a high priority for initial site investigation, again because of security issues.

No doubt more of this will come out in due course. As will any further evidence of the co-pilot's state of mind (apparently significant findings have now been made).

[ 27. March 2015, 08:55: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
He could have been having a heart attack and accidentally pressed the door button

There are some things the investigators know, or have not yet established from retrieved data, that have not yet been made public.

However, it appears incontrovertible from what they have disclosed that the descent was initiated deliberately. There is no obvious reason for doing this other than the one that has been put forward, especially given the lack of comms.

It could just be that the descent initiation was some sort of error that formed one of the "holes" in the "Swiss cheese model" of accident causation, but it doesn't look very much like it at this stage, again especially given the lack of comms.

I think the attempts to rule out deliberate action by the co-pilot stem largely from an understandable reluctance to face this possibility and its implications.

As to "terrorism", the Google definition says
quote:
the unofficial or unauthorized use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims
which means that intent is important.

Absent such intent, what we appear to be looking at can be described as murder-suicide.

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:

As to "terrorism", the Google definition says
quote:
the unofficial or unauthorized use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims
which means that intent is important.

Absent such intent, what we appear to be looking at can be described as murder-suicide.

Apparently they've found things at the guy's house.

Should these express political views, I suspect it would be considered terrorism.

Indeed, I imagine what the authorities were meaning was that the crash did not appear to be
Islamic terrorism as we have seen it in recent times.

Posted by fletcher christian (# 13919) on :

Posted by Stonespring:
quote:

It reminds me a lot of the explosions, fireballs, etc., that I grew up with in video games, cartoons, superhero and action movies etc. In this kind of media, buildings, cities, even planets can explode and hundreds or millions of CGI-animated people can drop dead or be vaporized around the hero (or antihero) while s/he escapes unharmed (or if it is his/her turn to exit the plot, s/he gets to "go out like a badass").

You know, I really thought that perhaps we were beyond those days of blaming every bad thing on video games, TV and movies. Don't get me wrong, I can see the enormous appeal of wanting to be able to do so. It is a horrible tragedy and like any other horrible tragedy we like to be able to reason it through and look for something to blame it on - anything in fact other than that a human being consciously made a decision to murder 150 other along with himself, and I know a big part of it is that we don't like to think that a human being like you and I could be capable of such a terrible act. He may have been in some way 'disturbed', but I had hoped that we had better insight today into mental illness and instability to be able to steer away from silly apportioning of blame to random externals. I know every society in every age has done it up to now, whether it be witches, a curse, the devil or a spirit; but really, I do wonder if we might finally abandon these ideas to truly get to an understanding of what it is internally within a person that brings them to make such a decision. I'm really not at all convinced that it is a reasoned process, a process effected in any way by externals (at least as they really are) or one unaffected by the chemical mix inside the individuals brain. I'm conscious too that even in saying this I might be falling into the very same trap of trying to reason what is essentially wholly unreasonable

Posted by IngoB (# 8700) on :

quote:

Under the assumption that the current theory of the co-pilot deliberately crashing the plane is confirmed: I would call him a mass murderer even in the second case, unless he can be considered to have been "insane" enough to not be able to perceive the consequences of his actions. Given what we know - that he he carried out a "normal" conversation till the pilot left the cockpit, and that he apparently was able to activate a two-step lock mechanism that kept the other pilot out - this is unlikely.

It is one thing to commit suicide in a way that leads to the death of others that is relatively unpredictable (at least for an non-expert). If you jump in front of a train, and the train derails catastrophically due to it, then you do have the excuse that you likely did not think your actions would kill anyone but yourself. But if you fly a passenger plane into a mountain, then it is exceedingly likely that you will kill everybody on the plane. This is eminently knowable, the decision to do this is deliberate, and I will call such a person a mass murder even if in their mind the only important consequence is their own death. To pick a less drastic example, somebody who decides to commit suicide by driving against traffic on the motorway and crashing into another car is a murderer in my eyes, no matter how much time they have spent thinking about the death of those in the other car. Only if people are literally incapable of thinking about the consequence to others due to insanity, then they are inculpable. Considering the lives of others as of no account does not free one of the responsibility for their deaths. If this man was capable of grasping that his action would result in the death of many innocent people, then he is a mass murderer.

In a curious way I also think we owe this distinction to the many people who commit suicide in a manner that does not kill others. They too were likely afflicted, broken by life and depression, or any other motivation for suicide you can think of. And yes, many of them will have hurt others by their deeds, at least psychologically. But still, they are not like this man, his actions are simply on a different level.

[ 27. March 2015, 09:29: Message edited by: IngoB ]

Re black boxes:

From what I've been able to find out, they only have the voice recorder black box so far--not the other that tracks the instruments.

The info about the change in the autopilot setting came from tracking service FlightRadar24.

Ingo--

Though knowing what you're doing is wrong--or could at least have negative consequences--doesn't necessarily mean that you can do something else.

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Ingo--

Though knowing what you're doing is wrong--or could at least have negative consequences--doesn't necessarily mean that you can do something else.

Seems to me that is a bit of an excuse.

And, perhaps importantly, those who have mental illness (in particular depression) are usually no threat to anyone other than themselves.

A mental illness which involves no feelings about killing a plane-ful of people is a lot more serious than that reported about this guy.

Posted by la vie en rouge (# 10688) on :

I think I disagree with what the OP says about incidents like this becoming more common. ISTM that the reason it shocks us so much is precisely because it is so rare.

quote:

If he could not do something else, then he was not culpable. If this was true here, then I would call the act mass murder, but not the actor a mass murderer. However, I do not believe this to be true based on the accounts we have so far. Frankly, I think any explanation of how this man manages to sit alone at the controls of an air plane, but then entirely loses all control over his suicidal ideations on one hand, while on the other remaining mentally capable enough to lock out the pilot (presumably predicting that the pilot wouldn't wish to die with him and would try to prevent this from happening!), is to me a "just so" story. We may just as well claim that the man was not culpable, because he was possessed by a demon, and the demon used this opportunity to assert itself.

Posted by BroJames (# 9636) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
The TV report I saw from inside a similar cockpit showed a toggle switch, guarded by protective housing. In order to engage it in the lock position, two mechanical operations are required.

1. To pull upwards positively on the toggle to release it prior to engaging the lock position. The toggle cannot be simply pushed into the lock position without that preliminary upward pull.

2. Then to push the toggle to the lock position, which is one of three positions the toggle may take.

This video suggests that the two stage action is what is needed to unlock the door. Watching the video, the 'lock' action simply involves pushing the switch backward to a position from which it then springs back into the 'normal' position. This pushing back is designed to be used to deny keycode access for five minutes at a time.

Posted by Enoch (# 14322) on :

We do not know. Possibly no one will ever know. But if the most likely explanation is that the pilot deliberately crashed the plane, it's best to assume that is what happened unless someone comes up with another more plausible explanation.

If so, that is both suicide and murder. There is no real space for debate or discussion about that.

The same applied to the man a few years ago who chose to commit suicide by deliberately driving onto a level crossing so as to crash an express west of Reading.

What is really puzzling about those who take other people with them at the same time as they kill themselves, is that one would have thought that it was obvious that that is the way to make sure that you are casting yourself into the worst, hottest and nastiest place to spend eternity.

To do this, a person would have to be very, very confident that death is indeed the end and that not just Christianity but every other religion is completely wrong.

Nobody ever openly says this. But it is the elephant in the room that everyone knows is there.

Even then, it is incomprehensible why, and it isn't enough to say that as it is incomprehensible, the person must be mad rather than wicked.

[ 27. March 2015, 10:30: Message edited by: Enoch ]

Interesting, BroJames. That seems to contradict the substance of the report I saw (on Sky News), which formed the basis of the "deliberate locking out" scenario. No doubt the exact operation on the Germanwings plane will come out in a detailed report.

On general principles, the Sky explanation points to a better and safer design. Maybe there are some variations in manufacture?

[ 27. March 2015, 10:37: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

Airbus's own instructional video can be seen on this page - you need to scroll down a bit.

Posted by Baptist Trainfan (# 15128) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
If so, that is both suicide and murder. There is no real space for debate or discussion about that.

The same applied to the man a few years ago who chose to commit suicide by deliberately driving onto a level crossing so as to crash an express west of Reading.

Yes, I thought of that one too. There is also the still unresolved question as to whether the driver of the train involved in the 1975 Moorgate crash suffered some kind of blackout, mistook his location, or deliberately ran his train into the tunnel wall. No-one will ever know for sure.

I know very little about mental illness. But perhaps there comes a point where one is so focussed on one's own woes that one ceases to consider the consequences of one's actions for others.

Or is there even the possibility that one feels one is doing them a favour by killing them, as clearly they must be experiencing the same degree of misery as oneself? I don't know if that sounds plausible, perhaps others can comment.

Returning to the OP, wasn't there a philosopher (?Camus or Sartre) who suggested that suicide might possibly be construed as the one act which conferred the greatest personal significance upon its perpetrator? If that is so (and I'm not sure I agree with it), then it would make sense for a suicidal person to make sure they went out with the greatest "bang" possible.

[ 27. March 2015, 11:18: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
There is also the still unresolved question as to whether the driver of the train involved in the 1975 Moorgate crash suffered some kind of blackout, mistook his location, or deliberately ran his train into the tunnel wall. No-one will ever know for sure.

I thought of this one too. I still remember an Evening Standard headline: "how did the almost impossible happen?". The questions don't change much 40 years on...
quote:
Or is there even the possibility that one feels one is doing them a favour by killing them, as clearly they must be experiencing the same degree of misery as oneself?
I have indeed heard this theory put forward.

Those wanting to dabble in the details of door technology should go look at a few pilots' forums. And then consider the post-911 case of the gone-loony pilot locked out of the cabin for safety by the co-pilot and restrained by passengers...

quote:
Returning to the OP, wasn't there a philosopher (?Camus or Sartre) who suggested that suicide might possibly be construed as the one act which conferred the greatest personal significance upon its perpetrator? If that is so (and I'm not sure I agree with it), then it would make sense for a suicidal person to make sure they went out with the greatest "bang" possible.

I've not heard that view, but I can confidently say that I do not agree with it. Indeed, whoever propounded it, and however famous they may be, I'd be prepared to say it is objectively wrong.

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

If the pilot was struggling with mental health problems then the reality of other people, and strangers at that, would probably not have meant a great deal to him. Or perhaps he'd been holding in feelings of hostility against the world. Who knows - it's impossible to know exactly what was going through his mind at the time.

Either way, it struck me as a kind of opportunistic rather than planned action. He would have had to wait for the unplanned moment to arise when his fellow pilot left the cabin - no set time for that, not something you can predict happening. I did wonder whether he had had this in mind on previous flights but simply not had the opportunity then.

I think there could be a combination of planning and opportunism.

But we had better make sure we don't fall foul of the suicidal ideations policy here...

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

I have heard that the co-pilot had taken a prolonged leave-of-absence because of depression. He had been back on duty awhile, however.

On another forum someone suggested that his behavior might have been the result of discontinuing his anti-depressants. Apparently there are cases of people committing suicide while coming off anti-depressants.

Obviously, I can't be certain this is true.

Moo

quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
This pushing back is designed to be used to deny keycode access for five minutes at a time.

Interesting. Do we know how long the plane took to dive towards the crash?

Posted by Matt Black (# 2210) on :

The Guardian has just reported that investigators have found a torn up doctor's note at his home signing him off sick for the fateful day.

Posted by luvanddaisies (# 5761) on :

The way some of the media, particularly the print media have been covering this isn't particularly helpful. Yes, if what the indications from what the investigation have found so far are true, and it appears likely at the moment that that is probable, something was very wrong, whatever the co-pilot's motivation was - but the way some of the media are reporting it, it's almost as though nobody with depression should ever have a responsible job. Surely any pilot who's ever had experience of depression in the past is now worried - and maybe some people (in any job, not just pilots) are more likely to feel like they have to keep any symptoms of that or any other mental health problem under wraps, which isn't exactly healthy.

From this New Statesman article:

quote:
The Daily Mail story begins by narrating the pilot’s “’burnout’” and history of depression, before writing that “incredibly, he passed all his psychological assessments”. Aside from how outrageously incorrect the use of “incredibly” here is – the thing clearly happened - the suggestion that it’s impossible for someone with previous psychological problems to later be mentally well is naive and insulting. Again, people recover from depression all the time; going on to barely think about their illness.

Suggesting otherwise is – and here I refer again to the Samaritan guidelines – something likely to discourage vulnerable individuals. Given that one of the key symptoms of depression is feeling hopeless, an article that opens with the inference there’s no hope of recovery is what we in the trade call “totally fucking unhelpful”.

Mind have released a statement as a response to this, something it's also worth bearing in mind when discussing it online, or, in fact, discussing it anywhere.

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:
This pushing back is designed to be used to deny keycode access for five minutes at a time.

Between eight and ten minutes. Subtract time for pilot to go to the loo and realise the problem. But even then, access denial can be extended. And the delay can be configured to longer.

quote:
My question then is how exactly they are defining terrorism and/or suicide such that killing a plane full of people and oneself isn't it..? If it isn't murder or terrorism, what is it?

It isn't terrorism because the goal of terrorism is to force people to do what you want, to achieve political goals.

We throw the word "terrorism" around all the time now, in ways that make no sense. Such as having a War on Terror. Killing a lot of people isn't automatically terrorism, it's mass killing.

Posted by Heavenly Anarchist (# 13313) on :

quote:
I know very little about mental illness. But perhaps there comes a point where one is so focussed on one's own woes that one ceases to consider the consequences of one's actions for others.
Or is there even the possibility that one feels one is doing them a favour by killing them, as clearly they must be experiencing the same degree of misery as oneself? I don't know if that sounds plausible, perhaps others can comment.

I have worked in mental health and in my experience suicidal depression can block out empathy for others, the person becomes inwardly focussed. The idea of doing others a favour by taking them with you sometimes occurs in parental murder-suicide but I suspect it is far less common outside of close relationships.

As for covering up depression, I have bipolar disorder and it's surprising how well you can appear on the outside when you mind is not in the real world. In my case it is far easier to hide the depressive side. If the reports are right about the ignored sick notes it sounds like he was having issues facing up to his mental health problems, possibly fearing for his job or perhaps due to psychosis, or even both.

quote:
I think you lack imagination.

Etc and so on.

Of course, I don't know and you don't know what is feasible and what is impossible. This is why there are professional accident investigators.

And I've been listening to the news from the investigators. Under hypnosis? Really? And how did this hypnosis happen?

Accidentally pressed the door button? I take it then that you've completely missed all the discussion about how he had to continue to override the access code?

The door could have malfunctioned? Okay, sure it could have... and then what? He just sat there and made no attempt whatsoever from his side to rectify the malfunction or open the door?

And what on earth makes you claim that the audio situation is "chaotic"? Have you got any factual basis for this statement?

For that matter, have you got any factual basis for suggesting there's something wrong with the timing of releasing this information? There was actually a considerable period between recovering the black box and releasing information about what was on the black box.

You could say I lack imagination. I could say, in return, that you making no attempt to fetter your imagination to known information.

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Either way, it struck me as a kind of opportunistic rather than planned action. He would have had to wait for the unplanned moment to arise when his fellow pilot left the cabin - no set time for that, not something you can predict happening.

Maybe not 100% predictable, but actually I think it's a fairly regular occurrence. Note that it happened just after they reached cruising altitude - so they are in the 'boring' part of the flight. The perfect time to take a toilet break.

And for his purposes, exactly when it happened would be irrelevant. It just needed to happen at any point.

quote:
quote:

About 8 minutes.

10 reasons why white-person mass-murder is never terrorism:

http://www.juancole.com/2012/08/top-ten-differences-between-white-terrorists-and-others.html

quote:
For that matter, have you got any factual basis for suggesting there's something wrong with the timing of releasing this information? There was actually a considerable period between recovering the black box and releasing information about what was on the black box.

There is a suggestion that the French prosecutor doing so contravened ICAO annex 13 which as I understand it, means those in charge of the accident investigation should have first dibs on disclosing information gleaned from the flight recorders. (I saw this expressed more forthrightly by the pilot's federation but can't find the same text now).

This is an example of how different agencies and jurisdictions may conflict in their handling of events. The prosecutor's disclosure was typical of his role in France, and it seems as good a way as any of releasing at least some much-sought-after information through an official channel, but I can understand the frustration of the official investigators given the painstaking nature of their enquiries and the commercial, technical and legal reasons for these being set up the way they are.

[x-post]

[ 27. March 2015, 13:13: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

quote:
10 reasons why white-person mass-murder is never terrorism:

http://www.juancole.com/2012/08/top-ten-differences-between-white-terrorists-and-others.html

Take the Google definition. Explain to me how this act qualifies.

Sorry, just found the stronger declaration by IFALPA which seem to refer to the information leaked to the NYT.

quote:

It never is, though, is it. Brevik was a closet Muslim (according to some), McVeigh was a lone fruitcake, blahdiblah.

If this guy had been slightly foreign-looking, we'd be looking for a convenient country to bomb in retaliation.

Posted by The Rogue (# 2275) on :

Do you suppose that legislation will be passed to prevent pilots from leaving the cockpit for a loo break? I think the flight was supposed to be a little over two hours.

Or does the tension of take off (and landing) put pressures on any pilot?

I don't know how accurate it is, but I hear that on some flights there is a toilet in the cockpit.

quote:
quote:

It never is, though, is it. Brevik was a closet Muslim (according to some), McVeigh was a lone fruitcake, blahdiblah.

If this guy had been slightly foreign-looking, we'd be looking for a convenient country to bomb in retaliation.

You can assume that here on the Ship you're talking to rational people who consider Breivik and McVeigh being capable of answering the description of 'terrorist'.

None of which makes Lubitz a terrorist. You speculated that what had been found in his house was political. If that speculation had proven correct, you might have been on to something, but I don't understand why you are still persisting in this line of argument given that all the reports are that what was found wasn't political at all, but medical.

quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
Do you suppose that legislation will be passed to prevent pilots from leaving the cockpit for a loo break? I think the flight was supposed to be a little over two hours.

It is much more likely that all airlines will make it standard operating practice (some already do) that if one of the pilots leaves the cockpit, another crew member will go in, so that there are always two people in the cockpit.

quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:

If you are a pilot on a low cost carrier, the turnaround time - often around 40 minutes - is so short that it's often considered better to go to the loo just after the takeoff climb, when you don't have entering/exiting passengers/cleaners/takeoff preparation to deal with.

Middle eastern carriers such as El Al already have a dedicated pilot loo, but this is unlikely to spread because it would mean removing pa$$enger $eating.

Posted by Dafyd (# 5549) on :

quote:

That might be so, but that doesn't mean it would be correct to do so.

The word 'terrorist' is thrown around to mean any violent act by people we don't like with darker skins than ours, true. But it does have a more precise meaning, and that more precise meaning does require that the action is aimed, however unrealistically, at bringing about some political change. Locking yourself in a cabin and not saying anything as you kill yourself and everyone else on the plane doesn't bring about any political change, unless I suppose the aim is to reduce carbon emissions from air travel.

Posted by Belle Ringer (# 13379) on :

quote:
I really like watching my world-ending-explosions, superheroes destroying cities while they battle bad guys ...and pew-pew-pew-bodies-falling-everywhere action movies. And I LOVE hitting the shoot button as fast as I can with a video game controller...

I think that the temptation to cause mass destruction...is something we all have gnawing at us in the back of our minds,

No. Not at all. I hate those "action" movies, detest those video games, and have zero interest in causing mass destruction. Even as a kid when the closest to "action" movies was slapstick comedy I hated watching people get hurt, even in cartoons I winced when Roadrunner or his "enemy" ran off a cliff.

A friend who likes "action"movies says he enjoys them because they are "cartoonish", i.e. precisely because they are not real. That's the opposite of enjoying them as some sort of wish fulfillment.

As to what goes on in a suicidal mind, I read somewhere that a large percentage of head-on collisions are suicides. From my limited experience with suicidal depression I doubt many of the highway suicidals were looking for opportunity to take others with them. Focus of awareness narrows to self and the pain and the need to escape.

Now I will cheerfully get utterly speculative - if flying is what he always dreamed of doing, and if he saw the doctor's note as a threat to his being able to fly in the future, if he saw himself facing a bleak empty future deprived of all his dreams, that could cause a desire to take one last flight and end it all, never have to walk away from that flight into nothing. But the goal would not be to harm others, in deep suicidal pain others aren't really in awareness (nor are heaven or hell), even if the others are banging on the door or screaming. The pain and need to end it is louder.

But do we know what the doctor's note was about? Maybe he just had a ear infection,it's often unwise to fly with that condition, it can damage the ear drum.

Posted by Pigwidgeon (# 10192) on :

quote:
Middle eastern carriers such as El Al already have a dedicated pilot loo, but this is unlikely to spread because it would mean removing pa$$enger $eating.

They could always get one of these (female versions are available too), unless the pilot needed to do something more serious.

quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
.... As to what goes on in a suicidal mind, I read somewhere that a large percentage of head-on collisions are suicides. From my limited experience with suicidal depression I doubt many of the highway suicidals were looking for opportunity to take others with them. Focus of awareness narrows to self and the pain and the need to escape.

Now I will cheerfully get utterly speculative - if flying is what he always dreamed of doing, and if he saw the doctor's note as a threat to his being able to fly in the future, if he saw himself facing a bleak empty future deprived of all his dreams, that could cause a desire to take one last flight and end it all, never have to walk away from that flight into nothing. But the goal would not be to harm others, in deep suicidal pain others aren't really in awareness (nor are heaven or hell), even if the others are banging on the door or screaming. The pain and need to end it is louder.

But do we know what the doctor's note was about? Maybe he just had a ear infection,it's often unwise to fly with that condition, it can damage the ear drum.

Since we have no idea why, since so far as we know this man has made no attempt to leave behind a message telling everyone why he was going to do something so wicked, and since none of the reasons suggested so far would, if found to be true, have made this any more rational or less wicked, is there any point in speculating? Is there any prospect of it giving us anything of benefit?

Posted by betjemaniac (# 17618) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:

That might be so, but that doesn't mean it would be correct to do so.

The word 'terrorist' is thrown around to mean any violent act by people we don't like with darker skins than ours, true.

Yes, although you could also add that the population of the UK is generally pretty aware, sadly, of the very real possibility of a terrorist also being the holy trinity of white, Christian and British (although some of them would have rejected the last label obviously).

I still remember asking my mum in about 1986 why none of the railway stations we passed through ever seemed to have litter bins. It wasn't the "foreign-looking" ones we were worried about...

Posted by JoannaP (# 4493) on :

quote:
Deliberately flying a plane into a mountain (if that is what happened) is clearly murder, and arguably terrorism. Whatever his mental health was at the time does not change that.

Under UK law at any rate, yes the state of Lubitz's mental health does change the name of the crime. I am surprised that the word manslaughter has not been used at all on this thread so far.

I believe studies have shown that doctors, vets and farmers are the occupations most likely to commit suicide. because they have easy access to the means. What is the obvious way for a pilot to kill himself? Depression does make one very self-centred and, hard as it may be for those lucky enough not to have had direct experience of mental illness to understand, I can easily imagine that the fate of the other 149 people on board would not matter to him. Of course he knew that they would die as well but, presumably, he did not care. Whether that means he was "culpable" in a legal sense or not, I am not qualified to say.

Posted by quetzalcoatl (# 16740) on :

I would think that mental health considerations could rule out murder, well, this happens in English courts. But of course, it's very difficult with someone now dead.

In fact, it's possible to be unfit to be questioned by police, in English law, either for physical or psychological reasons.

quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
I still remember asking my mum in about 1986 why none of the railway stations we passed through ever seemed to have litter bins. It wasn't the "foreign-looking" ones we were worried about...

I'd be intrigued to know what makes a litter bin look "foreign" ... [Devil]

(Sorry, I couldn't resist posting that, even though I know this is a deeply serious thread. Non-Brits may need to know that many litter bins were removed from railway stations and other public places following IRA attacks at places such as Warrington and London's Victoria station, where bombs were placed in bins and exploded with devastating effects).

[ 27. March 2015, 16:27: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posted by Doublethink. (# 1984) on :

quote:
quote:
quote:

You can assume that here on the Ship you're talking to rational people who consider Breivik and McVeigh being capable of answering the description of 'terrorist'.

None of which makes Lubitz a terrorist. You speculated that what had been found in his house was political. If that speculation had proven correct, you might have been on to something, but I don't understand why you are still persisting in this line of argument given that all the reports are that what was found wasn't political at all, but medical.

Press are reporting that what were found in his house, were torn up sick notes. (So had not told employer the doctor felt he was unfit to fly, illness involved has not been specified.)

quote:

Yes, This was at the back of my mind when I wrote my earlier comment about fear of losing his job.

quote:

If you are a pilot on a low cost carrier, the turnaround time - often around 40 minutes - is so short that it's often considered better to go to the loo just after the takeoff climb, when you don't have entering/exiting passengers/cleaners/takeoff preparation to deal with.

During the 30 minutes on the ground the pilot who landed the plane does the walk-around safety check of the plane, which takes about 20 minutes of the time. Then follows preparation for take off. I agree - loo breaks are usually taken in the air.

[ 27. March 2015, 18:20: Message edited by: Boogie ]

quote:
quote:

Yes. Following BroJames helpful links, I got that far and realised that the lock mechanism would have had to be engaged twice before the plane crashed. Which seems to confirm deliberate action and rule out any kind of accident.

The other thought which occurred to me after looking at the videos was that the two sets of information may not be contradictory. There may be an emergency measure which enables the lock to be engaged indefinitely, not just for five minutes, by lifting and pushing into place, as the original Sky News item suggested. Or the Sky item could simply have been wrong.

It's moot now. Deliberate engagement of the lock (by either means) is pretty much proven by the audio record showing the descent time of more than five minutes (8-10 as Eutychus indicated).

[ 27. March 2015, 19:25: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

quote:
quote:
...in deep suicidal pain others aren't really in awareness even if the others are banging on the door or screaming. The pain and need to end it is louder.

...no attempt to leave behind a message telling everyone why he was going to do something so wicked, and since none of the reasons suggested so far would, if found to be true, have made this any more rational or less wicked....
The word "wicked"intrigues me.

In swimming life saver lessons, we are warned that a drowning man will try to climb on top of you, with the effect of pushing you under water and you both drown.

The person in trouble is not seeking to kill you, what he sees is "something above water, if I climb on it I'm saved!" He does not see "a person I will endanger if I try to climb on him."

Is pushing the rescuer under water "wicked" when it is mere instinct to try to save oneself by climbing onto anything above water?

Whether trying to save oneself from death or from life, I question the word "wicked" when the only goal is to escape pain, and the pain blocks awareness of other people.

I think of the word wicked as a judgment of someone's intentionally chosen moral value system. "I'll kill a few dozen people for my own amusement" is wicked. Is trying to end your own overwhelming pain "wicked" when harming others is not a goal, not desired, not sought, the actor is not even aware of them, he knows only his pain?

Wicked in the fallen world sense, yes; but wicked in the personal moral responsibility sense, can we demand awareness of that which pain is blocking awareness of?

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

One thing did strike me about this. He chose to hit an empty mountain, not a town or a city.

It is still very disturbing, though. Breathing normally up to the impact is very strange.

quote:

Whether trying to save oneself from death or from life, I question the word "wicked" when the only goal is to escape pain, and the pain blocks awareness of other people.

Such pain should cause one to seek help - not take others down with you.

To take others with you is wicked in the extreme. I still can't get over the idea that he didn't seem to give his own family one thought. They will never be able to live normally again.

If he couldn't think of his passengers, surely he could think of his own family?

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:

To take others with you is wicked in the extreme. I still can't get over the idea that he didn't seem to give his own family one thought. They will never be able to live normally again.

If he couldn't think of his passengers, surely he could think of his own family?

Boogie,

If he was that depressed that he was suicidal then no, he probably couldn't. If he could think of his family, he presumably thought they would be better off without him. (If you didn't have to have that conversation with Mr B, then I envy you.)

Moo has posted here about her time at the Samaritans, that a tactic that was sometimes effective was to ask the caller who they thought would find them and what they (the finder) would feel. But the person considering suicide had to be asked that - it did not to occur to them unprompted.

Posted by cliffdweller (# 13338) on :

quote:
quote:

Every person who commits suicide leaves behind a wake of broken people-- a family who are left with horrible questions and lifelong pain. It's not that the suicidal person doesn't care about those left behind--it's that they are not in a place where they can follow the rational train of thought you are laying out. Suicide (other than, say, a euthanasia-type situation) is not a rational choice-- it's a desperate, anguished, irrational act. To call that "wicked"is to pile on to that anguish. And ultimately, it only makes those who suffer in this way less likely to get the help they need and thus avoid this sort of tragedy in the future.

It seems to be a natural response to any sort of tragedy to think "how could this have been prevented"? And often it is a good one--leading to needed changes in safety or security or whatever. And in this case, there may be a few tweaks that can be made to airline security/cockpit features/bathroom breaks that will be useful. More useful would be a healthy discussion about mental health care and funding for it. But ultimately we also have to realize that this is the sort of thing that can't be completely avoided. You can't stop someone from driving on the train tracks, causing a derailment that kills dozens-- or any of a 100 other ways that a suicidal person might take others down along with them. That's part of the fragility of life.

Posted by lily pad (# 11456) on :

Keep in mind that if you are a pilot, you really can't acknowledge any issues with depression. When you do, you sabotage your career - either by being put off because you are depressed or being put off because you are taking medication that can't be taken while flying. It is exceptionally rare for someone to go off for treatment and come back.

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

quote:
Penny S: One thing did strike me about this. He chose to hit an empty mountain, not a town or a city.
Was this his choice? I had the impression that they just happened to be above the Alps when they reached cruising altitude. In any case, I think a minor part of the surface area is covered with cities and towns.

It's premature, surely, to talk about wickedness. He may have had a psychotic breakdown, or other mental aberration. Somebody in that state is not making moral evaluations.

Posted by romanlion (# 10325) on :

Anyone like to lay odds on whether or not he was pumped full of psychotropic drugs?

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
Anyone like to lay odds on whether or not he was pumped full of psychotropic drugs?

I'm sure someone would.

Posted by DangerousDeacon (# 10582) on :

An interesting point raised in the OP is whether or not it is becoming more common for a suicider to take others with them. I suspect not. Whilst technologies and belief systems have changed, I think basic human motivations have remained much the same.

Historically, of course, there are records of lots of people taking others with them to the grave. Sometimes this took the form of the human sacrifice of retainers and slaves to follow a deceased king to the afterlife; but sometimes a person who is going to die acts to ensure that others come with him (or her, but it seems mainly to be him).

There are examples in history of leaders who knowingly (or recklessly) take others with them to die: Custer and Hitler had their own versions of the Gotterdammerung, just the latter was on a national scale.

Some of these willingly lead others into death: I would agree with IngoB that these people are mass murderers. Others are reckless and uncaring: ditto, both morally and legally. Those who are so depressed that they are unaware of the consequences of their actions, may have a lower level of moral culpability.

Mass murder is evil. If there is a lower level of moral culpability, could we still call it evil? I am inclined to think we can, but would like to hear the views of others.

In a sermon I heard once, an RC priest said that, in order to be guilty of sin, 3 things have to be true:

1) You have to know the thing you intend to do is wrong;

2) You have to intend to do something wrong;

3) You have to have another option.

So while a person might do something evil, they might not be guilty of sin for doing it.

Don't know what might apply, if the co-pilot did do this thing.

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
You can't stop someone from driving on the train tracks, causing a derailment that kills dozens-- or any of a 100 other ways that a suicidal person might take others down along with them. That's part of the fragility of life.

Yes, fair point.

And - to put it in perspective, an Airbus A320 takes off every three seconds worldwide. It's a very safe way to travel. We are in far, far more danger driving to the airport.

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:

I'm sure someone would.
I wouldn't. The clinic he attended seems to have been very careful in its words, stating (as I remember) that he had been there for consultations or investigations, but not that he was under treatment.

There is a report, which I treat with caution, that Lubitz told an ex-girlfriend last year that one day everyone would know his name, and that he was going to do something that would change the whole system.

Of course, there's the risk of interpreting whatever he might have said in a particular light given what's happened, but it does at least raise the possibility that he had contemplated a dramatic exit for some time.

I thought it was pertinent to this thread given the OP.

I was just about to post that - you beat me to it! [Smile]

I agree that it should be treated with caution at this stage.

[ 28. March 2015, 08:09: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

I suspect that most of us at some point have wanted to be well known and/or change the system.

Yes, that could be all sorts of things--even politics.

Example: Arnold Schwarzenegger, when he was back in Austria, set out a very definite plan for himself: go to America, marry a Kennedy, and a couple of other things--maybe both get famous and go into politics. He did all of that. I'm not a fan, and I loathe some of his behavior. But he did accomplish what he set out to do. Fortunately, he couldn't run for president. (Have to be born a citizen.)

Posted by balaam (# 4543) on :

quote:
quote:

I can't see the evidence that he did something deliberate.

The evidence we have is that
What I have nor seen reported is the nature of the sickness: Was it for a mental condition or physical condition? Would it have been likely to result in psychotic behaviour, or was it a condition that could have resulted in unconsciousness or seizure?

"Co-pilot flew plane into mountain," is only one of two possibilities I have seen. The other one, "Co-pilot was unconscious and unable to let the pilot back into the cockpit," is another.

I have not seen what I call evidence that the crash was deliberate. In cases like this I take the side of innocent until proven guilty Especially when the person is unable to defend himself.

So what evidence do those taking the Lubitz is wicked line have that he was conscious? Unconscious and breathing seems to fit here too.

I don't think it is premature to talk of wickedness. On what is emerging, we are left at the moment with a strong presumption that this was a wicked act. It may be that there is some other explanation, but it's looking very unlikely.

e.g. if one uses Golden Key's test
quote:

And remembering the basic principle that a person is presumed to intend the natural consequences of their action:-

1. It is as good as impossible for a person to argue that they didn't know that flying an aeroplane with a whole lot of passengers into a mountain and killing them is wrong.

2. He appears to have intended to do that.

3. He had another option. It was not to have done it. That is to have continued to fly the aeroplane to its destination. That is what he was employed to do and what everyone would have assumed he was going to do.

If we add to that the suggestion, admittedly still conjecture at the moment, that he 'wanted to do something that would ensure everyone remembered him', that makes his motivation even more self-evidently bad.

At the moment, I can't see any other valid interpretation.

Posted by Dave W. (# 8765) on :

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
So what evidence do those taking the Lubitz is wicked line have that he was conscious? Unconscious and breathing seems to fit here too.

If he was unconscious, how did he disable the emergency door entry code (which is specifically intended for use in cases of crew incapacitation) and reset the autopilot to take the plane from 38000 to 100 feet?

quote:

1. It is as good as impossible for a person to argue that they didn't know that flying an aeroplane with a whole lot of passengers into a mountain and killing them is wrong.

It is perfectly possible for someone with a mental illness to not know that, especially a psychosis. When you are psychotic you do not fully understand the implications of what you are doing or why.

quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
If he was unconscious, how did he disable the emergency door entry code (which is specifically intended for use in cases of crew incapacitation) and reset the autopilot to take the plane from 38000 to 100 feet?

I understand, anyway, that the door code would have reset itself after 5 minutes, allowing entry. That means he had had to engage the lock from the cockpit a second time.

quote:
I don't think it is premature to talk of wickedness. On what is emerging, we are left at the moment with a strong presumption that this was a wicked act. It may be that there is some other explanation, but it's looking very unlikely.

e.g. if one uses Golden Key's test
quote:

And remembering the basic principle that a person is presumed to intend the natural consequences of their action:-

2. He appears to have intended to do that.

3. He had another option. It was not to have done it. That is to have continued to fly the aeroplane to its destination. That is what he was employed to do and what everyone would have assumed he was going to do.

If we add to that the suggestion, admittedly still conjecture at the moment, that he 'wanted to do something that would ensure everyone remembered him', that makes his motivation even more self-evidently bad.

At the moment, I can't see any other valid interpretation.

As has been noted already, if the co-pilot was suffering from severe clinical depression or some form of psychotic break, he may not have been able to rationally assess the impact of his actions, putting all three of the criteria in question. Again, to call it "wicked" under those circumstances can only further isolate and marginalize those we most need to help if we are to prevent future tragedies.

True but someone psychotic enough not to know the nature and quality of the act would be too chaotic and obviously I'll to get onto an aircraft without being stopped.

A delusional belief the act was somehow justified, a sacrifice to save the world or a last ditch attempt to stop the plane being used as a weapon for example, would be the most likely out working.

Though of course most people with psychosis do not pose a risk to others.

The majority of violent crime is committed by people who are well.

Does it matter wether he was wicked/a murderer/a manslaughterer or anything else? He's dead and beyond any human reaction.

Support his family and friends, support the families and friends of all the others who died, learn any lessons and move on.

quote:
quote:

In theory sabotage, of software controlling the plan - a gas. Anister hidden in the cockpit triggered by a sensor that indi aged only one person present - of by location on flight route and single personhood as a coincidence.

But I think it most unlikely.

Maybe the door security system malfunctioned?

What if the pilot repeatedly punched the wrong codes in the door?

And this is bizarre, I know...but what if the *pilot* had done something before going out the door, and the co-pilot was afraid to let him back in?

quote:
quote:

We are assuming the code was activated.

I have looked around and there is evidence that Lubitz had a mental disorder, but no evidence yet of what the disorder was: Would it have caused behavioural problems or blackouts?

Lubitz is not without blame. He should not have been flying the plane. The nature of the mental condition is known. The sick note has been recovered. But we will not know what it was until the investigators release the details; they will have a good reason for not releasing it yet.

Until they do we, and the press, are just speculating about the most likely cause. Which deliberate crashing is. But it is still speculation.

quote:
Maybe the door security system malfunctioned?

What if the pilot repeatedly punched the wrong codes in the door?

And this is bizarre, I know...but what if the *pilot* had done something before going out the door, and the co-pilot was afraid to let him back in?

If any or all of that had happened, I doubt that the co-pilot would have spent the next ten minutes in silence (except for his breathing) -- unless the pilot knocked him unconscious before leaving.

Posted by Dave W. (# 8765) on :

quote:
quote:
quote:

We are assuming the code was activated.
That should be evident from the cockpit voice recording; if it was, a buzzer would have sounded. French prosecutors who have heard the recording concluded that the copilot deliberately kept the pilot locked out and reset the autopilot to descend.

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
True but someone psychotic enough not to know the nature and quality of the act would be too chaotic and obviously I'll to get onto an aircraft without being stopped.

A delusional belief the act was somehow justified, a sacrifice to save the world or a last ditch attempt to stop the plane being used as a weapon for example, would be the most likely out working.

Though of course most people with psychosis do not pose a risk to others.

The majority of violent crime is committed by people who are well.

Good point about psychosis; there are hints to me of the 'dark triad', but we are guessing really. Information about him may well be useful, if there are suggestions of narcissism and/or psychopathy. The other member of the triad is Machiavellianism.

Posted by Martin60 (# 368) on :

At what point - if ever - do we blame supernatural evil? Not just the contingent, emergent evil of physically embodied mental existence. Which seems sufficient to explain such aberrant horrors.

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
At what point - if ever - do we blame supernatural evil? Not just the contingent, emergent evil of physically embodied mental existence. Which seems sufficient to explain such aberrant horrors.

You're baiting me, aren't you, my friend?

You know my thoughts: that creation was corrupted by Satan, leading to the suffering and brokenness we experience in the world today. Part of that suffering and brokenness is indeed mental illness and the consequences of that.

quote:
"Co-pilot flew plane into mountain," is only one of two possibilities I have seen. The other one, "Co-pilot was unconscious and unable to let the pilot back into the cockpit," is another.

Have you missed the fact that deliberate action was required to PREVENT the pilot getting back into the cockpit? There is an access code.

Unless you think the access code mechanism managed to malfunction at precisely the same time the co-pilot became incapacitated. For no apparent reason.

At some point Occam's razor is going to have to come into play here. Sure, you can dream all sorts of extraordinary combinations of events to arrive at the result, but which is more likely: a conscious man preventing the door being opened, or a man being inexplicably unconscious at the same time as the door mechanism inexplicably fails, which manages to be at one of the relatively rare times there is only one person in the cockpit?

[ 28. March 2015, 20:34: Message edited by: orfeo ]

I'd agree about creation being corrupted.

More information, this time from the New York Times:

Lubitz was taking medication for depression, but it was not this that made him unsuitable to fly, but vision problems.

But note the NYT Talks about the apparent deliberate crashing. I'm waiting for the investigators or an inquest to say the crashing was deliberate and not just th prosecutors.

This news of a vision problem raises more problems than it answers.

quote:

If the guy was truly in the depths os of despair, this might not have been as obvious him as it is to you. I seem to recall reading somewhere about some bloke who said something along the lines of "Judge not, that ye be not judged"...

Now seems a good time to mention that pilot suicide of this kind isn't unheard of or extraordinary. It's just that we don't get media saturation when it happens in other parts of the world.

In fact, the crash in Namibia involved exactly the same scenario, with one pilot locking the other one out.

quote:
I'm waiting for the investigators or an inquest to say the crashing was deliberate and not just th prosecutors.

How exactly is it that you can accept all the evidence that comes from the prosecutors, but not their conclusions about the evidence?

I mean, you're debating with people why the pilot couldn't get into the cockpit. But why are you even accepting that the pilot was outside the cockpit and couldn't get in?

The source of that information which you accept is exactly the same source that supplied the conclusion that you don't accept.

Posted by Figbash (# 9048) on :

After a quick look at this thread, I see a common trend is what one might summarise as 'depression has nothing to do with it, even if you're depressed you know the difference between right and wrong, and it was wrong to deliberately kill all those people'. This is, I feel, very simplistic, and does not take fully into account the experience of deep depression.

I felt it might be useful to add a perspective of my own, given that I have, on a number of occasions, during deep depression, very nearly reached the point of no return, stepping back, in at least one case, when on the brink of terminal action.

So, first thing: part of deep depression is that you become disconnected from the world. It, and everyone in it and around you, gradually vanishes and is separated from you, so it becomes more of a phantasm than anything real. The further down the pit you go, the smaller your world, the world you actually have any control over, gets. At the ultimate point it has shrunk so all that is in it is you and the pain, and you have only one choice left: to continue to suffer or to make it stop.

Next: in response to the ludicrous ideas about Hell and Satan that I see appearing far too often, I think those of you who invoke all things Satanic are missing a very important point. When you're deeply depressed, you're already in Hell. Everything around you, including people, including your friends and family, are demons tormenting you by their presence, and the promise of human contact, and ordinary human behaviour that you know you cannot ever achieve again. By this point, the choice is not between a nice, ordinary life, in which you feel a bit sad, or a demon with a stick, but between continuing in Hell, or seeking an end in oblivion.

Third, the obvious rush to judgement of somebody who was suffering from a terrible, fatal disease, does no service to any of those indulging in it.

quote:
Originally posted by Figbash:

Next: in response to the ludicrous ideas about Hell and Satan that I see appearing far too often, I think those of you who invoke all things Satanic are missing a very important point. When you're deeply depressed, you're already in Hell.

When you say "those of you who invoke all things Satanic" are you talking about me, or just people outside of this thread? I don't think anyone else has invoked Satan on this thread (and haven't seen anyone mention hell at all).

The point you are making about the depressed already being in hell was precisely the point I was making. (Not that they go to hell for their actions, but that the suffering on this earth of severely depressed persons is hellish. Which I happen to believe is a result of the corruption of creation-- along with all human and animal suffering).

I do appreciate your willingness to share your own experience, which I think adds much to the discussion, as well as (IMHO) reinforcing the point I was trying to make re the need for compassion (and funding for care) for those struggling with depression and mental illness.

Whereas the evidence is impressive that the co-pilot took deliberate action to crash the plane, I think we might have to wait a lot longer for a really considered authoritative view of his probable state of mind, and the factors at work in all of that.

Of course you are all free to give the co-pilot every possible benefit of the doubt re deliberate action, but that looks to be a real stretch now. It is hard to fault the reasons why the responsibility has been attached solely to him and hard to argue with orfeo's summary of the improbability of responsibility lying elsewhere.

Posted by Martin60 (# 368) on :

You're reading my mind cliffdweller. You tell me.

So until Satan corrupted creation, there could be no psychotic breaks?

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
You're reading my mind cliffdweller. You tell me.

So until Satan corrupted creation, there could be no psychotic breaks?

Before Satan corrupted creation there were no humans. But yes, I believe that were we living in God's original/intended created universe, there would be no psychotic breaks. And one day we will live in the New Creation, and there will be no psychotic breaks. But in the world we now live in, life is frail, and this is one of the hazards. So we need to learn how to love one another in the world in which we find ourselves.

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:creation was corrupted by Satan, leading to the suffering and brokenness we experience in the world today. Part of that suffering and brokenness is indeed mental illness and the consequences of that.
One of the quirks of suicidal depression - you can't talk about it. Friends and family freak out and refuse to discuss what you are going through, professionals have a legal duty to report you to the authorities so they can lock you up to take away the option. The most important decision in life and you can't talk it over with anyone, that's so isolating, that isolation prevents the kinds of discussions that could lead to seeing other "ways out" of the overwhelming pain.

quote:
quote:
I'm waiting for the investigators or an inquest to say the crashing was deliberate and not just the prosecutors.

How exactly is it that you can accept all the evidence that comes from the prosecutors, but not their conclusions about the evidence?
Did I say that? Are the investigators and the prosecutors the same thing?

Posted by Leorning Cniht (# 17564) on :

quote:
Originally posted by JoannaP:
Whether that means he was "culpable" in a legal sense or not, I am not qualified to say.

Does it matter? We can't jail his corpse.

It is clear, I think, that his deliberate actions flew the plane into the ground and prevented the captain from regaining access to the cockpit.

It is clear that he had some kind of mental illness issues.

The reports I have read suggest that his doctor had told him not to work, but he was in denial and showed up anyway. He probably knew that if he told his employers about is mental issues, he wouldn't fly again, and he wanted to fly.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:creation was corrupted by Satan, leading to the suffering and brokenness we experience in the world today. Part of that suffering and brokenness is indeed mental illness and the consequences of that.
One of the quirks of suicidal depression - you can't talk about it. Friends and family freak out and refuse to discuss what you are going through, professionals have a legal duty to report you to the authorities so they can lock you up to take away the option. The most important decision in life and you can't talk it over with anyone, that's so isolating, that isolation prevents the kinds of discussions that could lead to seeing other "ways out" of the overwhelming pain.
This is a good point. It can easily force people into isolation, which may make it all more intense. There is also often a good deal of shame linked to depression, and with some people, anger or rage. It can be a deadly cocktail, probably made worse by crass media coverage.

It's too soon, though, to confidently ascribe this tragedy to depression; I suspect though that he was quite ill.

[ 28. March 2015, 23:52: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
He probably knew that if he told his employers about is mental issues, he wouldn't fly again, and he wanted to fly.

Which was simply stupid, as he won't fly again anyway now.

This is admittedly wild speculation, but inspired by various news stories.

Evidently, some of his health info has been withheld, due to privacy. In fact, there's talk in Germany of giving pilots less medical privacy.

But given that he reportedly had some sort of eye problem, and saw both eye docs and neurologists (and several, according to something I read); and that he reportedly had depression...I wonder if he might have had a problem in his brain that affected his eyes. Tumor? Aneurysm?

quote:

That's what the Samaritans are there for. The caller is anonymous and the Samaritan policy is to keep it that way. Moreover, after the volunteers have been answering the phones for awhile, they are shockproof.

Moo

quote:
quote:
He probably knew that if he told his employers about is mental issues, he wouldn't fly again, and he wanted to fly.

Yes but now he does not have to live with the pain and shame of not flying.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes but now he does not have to live with the pain and shame of not flying.
Again, all of this is acting as if suicide were a rational act rather than a desperate one.

Posted by Eirenist (# 13343) on :

Whatever the explanation, he'll be having to do some explaining to the other 149 people he took with him. Let's hope (and pray) they forgive him.

quote:
This is admittedly wild speculation, but inspired by various news stories.

Evidently, some of his health info has been withheld, due to privacy. In fact, there's talk in Germany of giving pilots less medical privacy.

But given that he reportedly had some sort of eye problem, and saw both eye docs and neurologists (and several, according to something I read); and that he reportedly had depression...I wonder if he might have had a problem in his brain that affected his eyes. Tumor? Aneurysm?

That is a very interesting point, I hadn't heard about neurologists, and a neurological issue might also cause changes in personality and perception.

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:
Originally posted by Figbash:

Next: in response to the ludicrous ideas about Hell and Satan that I see appearing far too often, I think those of you who invoke all things Satanic are missing a very important point. When you're deeply depressed, you're already in Hell.

When you say "those of you who invoke all things Satanic" are you talking about me, or just people outside of this thread? I don't think anyone else has invoked Satan on this thread (and haven't seen anyone mention hell at all).
cliffdweller,

FWIW I believe Figbash was referring to this post by Enoch on the first page rather than to your post:
quote:
What is really puzzling about those who take other people with them at the same time as they kill themselves, is that one would have thought that it was obvious that that is the way to make sure that you are casting yourself into the worst, hottest and nastiest place to spend eternity.

To do this, a person would have to be very, very confident that death is indeed the end and that not just Christianity but every other religion is completely wrong.

Nobody ever openly says this. But it is the elephant in the room that everyone knows is there.

quote:
cliffdweller: Suicide (other than, say, a euthanasia-type situation) is not a rational choice-- it's a desperate, anguished, irrational act. To call that "wicked"is to pile on to that anguish.
So, what can we say to a suicidal person? I'm sorry, if the co-pilot really killed 149 people, then I find that a bad thing. I'm also thinking about the anguish of the family members of those 149 people here.

To me, being depressed may take some of the responsibility for your actions away from you, but not all. If he really killed those 149 people, then he's a bad motherfucker.

From the latest leaked bits of the cockpit voice recorder, it sounds like he deliberately incited the pilot to leave and go to the toilet.

If so, then this adds a whole new level of premeditation and clear, calculated thinking. It's hard to think of that in terms of anything other than wickedness, really.

quote:
FWIW I believe Figbash was referring to this post by Enoch on the first page rather than to your post:

I didn't mention anything about Satan, and I'm not suggesting any such thing.

Nor am I saying anything unsympathetic or judgemental about people who are depressed, suicidal and feel they want to say 'goodbye cruel world'.

What I am saying though, is that killing yourself AND insisting on taking a collection of casual bystanders with you is prima facie an act of unconscionable wickedness. As I said, the elephant in the room is that
quote:
one would have thought that it was obvious that that is the way to make sure that you are casting yourself into the worst, hottest and nastiest place to spend eternity.
There may be some other explanation of what happened but I go with what Orfeo said about Occam's Razor applying here.

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
cliffdweller: Suicide (other than, say, a euthanasia-type situation) is not a rational choice-- it's a desperate, anguished, irrational act. To call that "wicked"is to pile on to that anguish.
So, what can we say to a suicidal person? I'm sorry, if the co-pilot really killed 149 people, then I find that a bad thing. I'm also thinking about the anguish of the family members of those 149 people here.

To me, being depressed may take some of the responsibility for your actions away from you, but not all. If he really killed those 149 people, then he's a bad motherfucker.

Again, we simply don't know enough about his mental capacity at the time to know if he was able to think in the rational terms you are assuming.

Again, it's natural after a horrible disaster to try to figure out "why" and to assess blame-- it's part of the way we reassure ourselves that if we just do X, Y, or Z to keep those evil ,other****ers out of the cockpit, it will never happen again. And to some degree that's helpful if it leads to changes that can help prevent such disasters. But often it only leads to a false hope-- part of our illusion that we can control fate. The reality is, tragedies happen. Sometimes horrible, terrible tragedies happen. They aren't always someone's fault. Sometimes they are part of the natural order (tsunamis, earthquakes, hurricanes) and other times they are part of the horrible, terrible brokenness of the human condition. There are some preventative measures we can take but ultimately we cannot control it-- it's part of the fragility of life. When discussion this on this thread a few days ago, I mentioned that we cannot keep someone from driving a car on the train tracks, leading to a derailment where innocent lives are injured or lost. Feeling sorta awful about that today since yesterday that exact thing happened a few miles from my home.

It's part of the fragility of life.

quote:
I'm also thinking about the anguish of the family members of those 149 people here.

What about the Lubitz family? Are they guilty by association and thus not deserving of your sympathy? By all accounts they too are suffering anguish as well [Votive]

quote:
cliffdweller: Again, we simply don't know enough about his mental capacity at the time to know if he was able to think in the rational terms you are assuming.
I didn't assume that he thought in rational terms.

quote:
cliffdweller: Again, it's natural after a horrible disaster to try to figure out "why" and to assess blame-- it's part of the way we reassure ourselves that if we just do X, Y, or Z to keep those evil ,other****ers out of the cockpit, it will never happen again.
I admire your ability to look inside my head and discover why I want to give a moral judgement of his actions. You're completely wrong.

I'm not looking for a false sense of security here. I'm completely aware that we can never completely prevent it. I'm also strongly opposed to a witch hunt against pilots who had a history of depression. And I say this as someone who flies very often.

The reason that I want to give a moral judgement is because killing 149 people is a moral action. Like I said, his depression may take part of his responsibility off him, but not all of it. In fact, I feel that denying the moral aspect of his actions takes away the humanity off him.

quote:
JoannaP: What about the Lubitz family? Are they guilty by association and thus not deserving of your sympathy? By all accounts they too are suffering anguish as well [Votive]
Who said they didn't have my sympathy?

I don't know if I'm allowed to have degrees in my solidarity, but yes, my thoughts are first and foremost with the families of the 149 victims.

And I feel for the Lubitz family too. They lost a loved one. And from having been around families to which this has happened, I think that in the turmoil of emotions they're going through now, anger towards the egoism of his action is part of it. As far as I'm concerned, they're completely entitled to that anger.

They're not guilty by association. But they are going to have to find a way to live with the fact that their family member did a motherfuckingly bad thing. I don't see how denying this is going to help in any way.

[ 29. March 2015, 22:06: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

quote:
quote:
cliffdweller: Again, we simply don't know enough about his mental capacity at the time to know if he was able to think in the rational terms you are assuming.
I didn't assume that he thought in rational terms.

quote:
cliffdweller: Again, it's natural after a horrible disaster to try to figure out "why" and to assess blame-- it's part of the way we reassure ourselves that if we just do X, Y, or Z to keep those evil ,other****ers out of the cockpit, it will never happen again.
I admire your ability to look inside my head and discover why I want to give a moral judgement of his actions. You're completely wrong.

I'm not looking for a false sense of security here. I'm completely aware that we can never completely prevent it. I'm also strongly opposed to a witch hunt against pilots who had a history of depression. And I say this as someone who flies very often.

The reason that I want to give a moral judgement is because killing 149 people is a moral action. Like I said, his depression may take part of his responsibility off him, but not all of it. In fact, I feel that denying the moral aspect of his actions takes away the humanity off him.

I apologize for misreading your quotes, but have to then say if that's the case, I'm completely mystified about what you ARE saying and what is the partial responsibility you continue to assign to the co-pilot, regardless of what we learn about his mental capacity to make moral judgments? Are you arguing some sort of deontological ethics-- that some acts are just morally wrong, regardless of the motives or capacity of the actor? or is it the reverse- an extreme version of consequentialism- that the only relevant data is the consequences of motives or intent?

quote:
cliffdweller: I'm completely mystified about what you ARE saying and what is the partial responsibility you continue to assign to the co-pilot, regardless of what we learn about his mental capacity to make moral judgments?
I'm saying that even if someone is completely depressed and suicidal, their capacity for making moral judgments may be small — perhaps even infinitesimally small — but not zero.

Suppose for a moment that all 149 people had died, but the co-pilot had miraculously survived the incident. Yes, he'd need some very good therapy and I'd be the first in line to shout that he should get exactly that. But part of this therapy would be him coming to terms with the extremely bad thing he has done.

This was not a natural disaster. A human did this. And even if he was completely depressed, I believe that at least a tiny part of him was still human.

One of the odd things about this case is that no link has been established between the co-pilot's depression and what he did, except by the popular press, who are singularly unqualified to do that. Furthermore, it's possible that no link will ever be made, and we won't find out if he was in some other mental state.

I suppose that people want there to be an explanation, and so they are filling the gap.

I don't think I'm filling in gaps here, I guess I'm doing some sort of "What if?" excercise.

Posted by Marvin the Martian (# 4360) on :

Ship of Fools: where murdering 150 people by flying a plane into a mountain is understandable and to be treated with sympathy, but making someone whose house you're paying for move a hundred miles up the road is the most evil thing in the entire fucking world.

quote:
I don't think I'm filling in gaps here, I guess I'm doing some sort of "What if?" excercise.

I didn't mean you. I have heard plenty of theories now, e.g. psychosis, psychopathy, narcissism, but they are pure guesswork. And saying it was his depression is guesswork. It's quite possible that we'll never find out his state of mind.

quote:
Originally posted by Eirenist:
Whatever the explanation, he'll be having to do some explaining to the other 149 people he took with him. Let's hope (and pray) they forgive him.

A preacher once pointed out that none of those resurrected in the Bible (by Jesus or others) are reported to have expressed gratitude. Argument from silence is far from proof; but if we go to "a far far better place," or are embraced by absolute love (as many a Near Death Experiencer reports) the passengers are not suffering. It's family and friends still here who suffer.

quote:
What I am saying though, is that killing yourself AND insisting on taking a collection of casual bystanders with you is prima facie an act of unconscionable wickedness. As I said, the elephant in the room is that
quote:
one would have thought that it was obvious that that is the way to make sure that you are casting yourself into the worst, hottest and nastiest place to spend eternity.

How is that an "elephant in the room", and for whom? I was confused when you said that first, but since you repeat it now I would like to hear what you mean by that. I don't think that Lubitz going to hell is an obvious truth that is either being ignored or going unaddressed, or an obvious problem or risk no one wants to discuss (Wikipedia). If this great evil can be attributed to Lubitz, i.e., if he was sufficiently culpable, then by human reckoning and traditional Christian conceptions of the afterlife he is now burning in hell. Whether human and Divine reckoning coincide we cannot know. But so what? There's nothing special about these statements. Traditional Christians will say similar things about all kinds of evil and evildoers, non-traditional Christians and nonbelievers will ignore them concerning many other evil matters. I don't see how the Lubitz case is special in this regard?

quote:
I'm saying that even if someone is completely depressed and suicidal, their capacity for making moral judgments may be small — perhaps even infinitesimally small — but not zero.

People are not mathematical equations. Below some threshold, cognition becomes noise. It is possible to be so out of one's mind as to be completely oblivious to and/or unconcerned with the death of others, and then one is not morally culpable - just very sick. However, I can make the following sense of your statement:

There is a serious temptation to threshold evil, so that evil that is "too large" is by default considered to be evidence for a sick mental state and hence the lack of culpability. However, I do not think that there is such a threshold. Doing great evil is not as such a sign of insanity. And the mere presence of mental illness is not an automatic excuse to "give in" to whatever evil promptings it may bring. If one is losing a struggle against one's own mind, then a responsibility accrues to seek medical advice and try the best one can to be under helpful supervision. Even if Lubitz was crazed beyond accountability when he downed the plane, this does not mean that he was inculpable in terms of the time before it came to that.

Posted by Sioni Sais (# 5713) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Ship of Fools: where murdering 150 people by flying a plane into a mountain is understandable and to be treated with sympathy, but making someone whose house you're paying for move a hundred miles up the road is the most evil thing in the entire fucking world.

Hmmm. One is very possibly the act of an irrational individual, unconcerned with his own life, while the other is a cold, rational calculation by those who will not suffer in the least.

quote:
A preacher once pointed out that none of those resurrected in the Bible (by Jesus or others) are reported to have expressed gratitude..

But none of them are reported to have complained.

Moo

quote:
IngoB: People are not mathematical equations.
Of course they aren't. I'm simplifying things for the sake of discussing them on a bulletin board.

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

quote:

[Killing me]

Posted by Erroneous Monk (# 10858) on :

quote:
If one is losing a struggle against one's own mind, then a responsibility accrues to seek medical advice and try the best one can to be under helpful supervision. Even if Lubitz was crazed beyond accountability when he downed the plane, this does not mean that he was inculpable in terms of the time before it came to that.

I think this is fair. I have depression and have had a few severe episodes. While it isn't helpful to see myself as wholly and entirely responsible for the progression of any episode, neither is it helpful to create a narrative where there are no choices I can make that can affect the outcome.

Belle Ringer: I hope none of the 149 passengers and crew are suffering;I would like to think that Lubitz is not suffering, though he may, now, be remorseful. But he will ceretainly be accountable for his actions, and I suspect he may well have to explain himself to those whose earthly lives he cut short (particularly the schoolchildren). Or do you think they should be grateful to him, for removing them from this vale of tears, and their families and friends?

Posted by Teilhard (# 16342) on :

That apparently suicidal mentally ill co-pilot's life was not going well ... Although he loved flying, and was good at it, he was reportedly developing a serious vision problem that would ground him permanently ...

But more seriously, the fact that he performed a mass murder suicide would suggest that he also had a major severe personality disorder ...

In most discussions of "people who do horribly horrible things to others," the matter of *personality*disorder* is often overlooked ...

quote:
Originally posted by Teilhard:
... In most discussions of "people who do horribly horrible things to others," the matter of *personality*disorder* is often overlooked ...

So having a personality disorder makes it more acceptable to kill people. Sorry. No.

quote:
That apparently suicidal mentally ill co-pilot's life was not going well ... Although he loved flying, and was good at it, he was reportedly developing a serious vision problem that would ground him permanently ...

But more seriously, the fact that he performed a mass murder suicide would suggest that he also had a major severe personality disorder ...

In most discussions of "people who do horribly horrible things to others," the matter of *personality*disorder* is often overlooked ...

Yes, I've been asking around the therapy grapevine, and quite a few are saying that. I think a lot of people are jumping from depression to violence rather casually, especially the tabloids, with their hitherto unknown aptitude for psychological diagnostics! In other words, it's guesswork.

... In most discussions of "people who do horribly horrible things to others
quote:
... In most discussions of "people who do horribly horrible things to others," the matter of *personality*disorder* is often overlooked ...

," the matter of *personality*disorder* is often overlooked ... [/QUOTE]
So having a personality disorder makes it more acceptable to kill people. Sorry. No.

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
quote:

Yes, I've been asking around the therapy grapevine, and quite a few are saying that. I think a lot of people are jumping from depression to violence rather casually, especially the tabloids, with their hitherto unknown aptitude for psychological diagnostics! In other words, it's guesswork.
A person who is seriously mentally ill may or may not also have an underlying serious personality disorder ...

Someone with a severe major personality disorder may or may not also have depression and/or anxiety ... Those are not the same things, but they are commonly "dance partners" ...

But the point is, generally, mentally ill persons are not as likely to be dangerous to others, but more so to themselves, while a person with a major severe personality disorder may be simply flat out dangerous ...

quote:
quote:

a lot of people are jumping from depression to violence rather casually,...
I'm seeing jumping not from depression to violence, but from a class of antidepressant drugs to violence. here's an old article saying "some antidepressants like Prozac — have also been linked to increase risk for violent, even homicidal behavior."

The link between SSRIs and homicidal violence comes up with each school shooting - not depression and violence, but SSRI drugs and violence. Maybe we need a better way to help with depression.

quote:
quote:

"More acceptable" -- no ...

More likely -- yes ...

quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm seeing jumping not from depression to violence, but from a class of antidepressant drugs to violence. here's an old article saying "some antidepressants like Prozac — have also been linked to increase risk for violent, even homicidal behavior."

The link between SSRIs and homicidal violence comes up with each school shooting - not depression and violence, but SSRI drugs and violence. Maybe we need a better way to help with depression.

That's interesting. I just meant that no professional that I'm aware of, has established a link between depression and this murder-suicide. The tabloid press are running with it, mainly to sell newspapers, I suppose.

quote:
Originally posted by Eirenist:
Belle Ringer: I hope none of the 149 passengers and crew are suffering;I would like to think that Lubitz is not suffering, though he may, now, be remorseful. But he will certainly be accountable for his actions, and I suspect he may well have to explain himself to those whose earthly lives he cut short (particularly the schoolchildren). Or do you think they should be grateful to him, for removing them from this vale of tears, and their families and friends?

We know that those left behind when someone dies are unhappy and feel their loved one's life was cut short, although it happens to many at any age including before birth. The grief of loss from this side is real.

We really don't know if the ones who die - move on - feel deprived. A common theme in near death experiences is little or no interest in "going back." Gratitude or resentment may both be irrelevant from the post death viewpoint.

As to
quote:
certainly be accountable for his actions, and I suspect he may well have to explain himself to those whose earthly lives he cut short
it's all speculative. If you can speculate resentment, I can speculate so overwhelmed with wonder that they don't even think to resent.

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

That's interesting. I just meant that no professional that I'm aware of, has established a link between depression and this murder-suicide. The tabloid press are running with it, mainly to sell newspapers, I suppose.
The *link* is being discussed because it appears to be the most likely explanation ... i.e., anyone who would do what the co-pilot apparently did must have been *crazy* ...

Don't agree. Murder-suicide connects more readily with a personality disorder than depression. Some mass murders likewise. But we are still talking guesswork, but that never inhibits the tabloids.

quote:
Don't agree. Murder-suicide connects more readily with a personality disorder than depression. Some mass murders likewise. But we are still talking guesswork, but that never inhibits the tabloids.

Yes ... But in the individual now undergoing this public psychological autopsy, there appears -- appears -- to have been a deadly combination of severe major personality disorder with anxiety and depression ... hence the discussion ...

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

@quetzalcoatl
That assumes the diagnostics are any good at all, and also can't deal with the very low base rates, i.e., some proportion of people who perpetrate a very low probability event like murder-suicide have some particular diagnosis. This says nothing whatever about anyone with such a diagnosis.

The risk factors which better explain such incidents are demographic, notwithstanding that we have no real ability to predict specific behaviour: male, young, relationship difficulties or isolation, defective impulsive control, not optimistic about the future, some history of violence - either doing, receiving or both.

Substance abuse, thought disorder, depression, anxiety, and various other elements of diagnosis possibly may help. But having been both stoned and drunk myself, and never having been violent, the causation is not clear**. As for mood disorders and thought disorders, there is an association, but this says nil about cause. Just about everything about human characteristics correlates positively with everything else.

**Some of us think more substance abuse might help some people, particularly politicians, to be less violent, but that's riffing Timothy Leary. Perhaps yoga or tai chi would be better choices and more fitting with current fashions.

edit:
@Teilhard
This starts to read as a "just so" story doesn't it.

[ 30. March 2015, 19:58: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

No prophet's flag

Thanks for that, very useful.

quote:

As you say, you are guessing that it was murder-suicide. My guess is that it was a suicide which killed 149 other people as an unwanted but unavoidable consequence. Suicide is often described as "selfish" by those who have no experience of mental ill-health and I suggest that Lubnitz's death is not qualitatively different from somebody throwing themselves under a train, thus traumatising the driver and inconveniencing 100's on the train and all others affected by the closure of the line. When one is in a state where death appears to be the only viable option, thinking about the impact on other people is not meaningful.

quote:
quote:

As you say, you are guessing that it was murder-suicide. My guess is that it was a suicide which killed 149 other people as an unwanted but unavoidable consequence. Suicide is often described as "selfish" by those who have no experience of mental ill-health and I suggest that Lubnitz's death is not qualitatively different from somebody throwing themselves under a train, thus traumatising the driver and inconveniencing 100's on the train and all others affected by the closure of the line. When one is in a state where death appears to be the only viable option, thinking about the impact on other people is not meaningful.
Very good point. It's not necessarily an aggressive act.

quote:

Some depressive states are psychotic and this often combines with suicide attempts, ime, though I've no idea if murder-suicide is also a feature as it is relatively rare. But, as speculated, we may never know the truth of this terrible situation.

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
@quetzalcoatl
That assumes the diagnostics are any good at all, and also can't deal with the very low base rates, i.e., some proportion of people who perpetrate a very low probability event like murder-suicide have some particular diagnosis. This says nothing whatever about anyone with such a diagnosis.

The risk factors which better explain such incidents are demographic, notwithstanding that we have no real ability to predict specific behaviour: male, young, relationship difficulties or isolation, defective impulsive control, not optimistic about the future, some history of violence - either doing, receiving or both.

Substance abuse, thought disorder, depression, anxiety, and various other elements of diagnosis possibly may help. But having been both stoned and drunk myself, and never having been violent, the causation is not clear**. As for mood disorders and thought disorders, there is an association, but this says nil about cause. Just about everything about human characteristics correlates positively with everything else.

**Some of us think more substance abuse might help some people, particularly politicians, to be less violent, but that's riffing Timothy Leary. Perhaps yoga or tai chi would be better choices and more fitting with current fashions.

edit:
@Teilhard
This starts to read as a "just so" story doesn't it.

It certainly gets to be a subset of the story, "If Everybody Took Their Prescribed Meds, Life Would Be All Roses And Cherries" ...

I was thinking that events like this are so rare and unpredictable, that there is a kind of hysterical reaction in the press and elsewhere, to fill the meaning gap, as it were. It must be meaningful, it must be predictive, we must be able to understand it. Hence the banner headlines, madman in cockpit, history of depression, and so on.

You can see the same with conspiracy theories, 9/11 was caused by Zionists, Kennedy was assassinated by a right-wing cabal; meaning, for God's sake, give me some meaning, I'm starved of it, even if it's invented.

quote:
quote:

One of the standard features of an interview with a patient or client who may be suicidal is to ask the question, "Who do you think would find you ... ??? What would that person feel ... ???"

But, yes, indeed, suicidal thoughts and feelings are often decidedly self-centered to the point of being delusional regarding the impact of the suicide on others ...

quote:
My guess is that it was a suicide which killed 149 other people as an unwanted but unavoidable consequence.

Would you say the same of someone who commits suicide by strapping a bomb to their chest and detonating it in a crowded market place?

If not, why not? What's the difference?

Re suicide and suicidal depression being selfish:

It's like having a terrible headache that isn't responding to any remedy, and wanting to do *anything* to get rid of it. You're turned in on yourself and not thinking clearly (if at all) because that's all you can do.

NOT that suicide is a good or wise method of pain relief--just that some people use it.

quote:
Re suicide and suicidal depression being selfish:

It's like having a terrible headache that isn't responding to any remedy, and wanting to do *anything* to get rid of it. You're turned in on yourself and not thinking clearly (if at all) because that's all you can do.

NOT that suicide is a good or wise method of pain relief--just that some people use it.

Suicide is often a permanent solution to a severe distress that is temporary ... Almost always, the terrible situation will improve in the future ...

So one of the tasks for those of us who are caregivers is a *dicey* one -- help the sufferer consider *hanging*in*there* without hanging her/him self ... just yet ... but without shaming the person for her/his despair or even forbidding suicide as a "live" option in the future ...

"But just for now ... for a while ... give 'life' a chance for a while longer ... and I will promise to help you..."

Posted by Hiro's Leap (# 12470) on :

quote:
Would you say the same of someone who commits suicide by strapping a bomb to their chest and detonating it in a crowded market place?

Pre-meditation. If it turns out the co-pilot had planned his actions and it wasn't just an impulse, then you're right - there's not much difference between him and a bomber. It'd also be comparable to one of the U.S. school shootings.

I heard, long before this happened, that if people
who have been on anti-depressants stop taking them abruptly, they may commit acts of violence.

Moo

More usually, they will just feel like crap. You could say the same about someone who just got dumped, or fired, or failed their exams. It happens, but it is rare. And it may not be the most salient factor in this situation - as yet we lack information to know.

We currently have a bad collective case of diagnostic overshadowing.

I note in the press coverage it reported this man was "teased" at work, whilst we are throwing extra bodies into cockpits across the world at 24 hrs notice, there has been a world of silence on how staff treat each other.

If you look at mass killings across the world, about which we have any information on the killers thoughts, a sense of persecution is often prominent. Sometimes it is psychotic - but often these were people who were 'teased' for being different in some way regardless.

Perhaps we would all be safer if we stopped doing that.

[ 30. March 2015, 22:40: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

quote:
quote:
My guess is that it was a suicide which killed 149 other people as an unwanted but unavoidable consequence.

It would depend on the intention. I can understand crashing a plane being the obvious way for a pilot to kill himself. I am not sure that there are people for whom the easiest, most convenient means of death is strapping a bomb to their chest and detonating it in a crowded place (unless they are pretending to be terrorists while really just looking for a way to die - but that seems a tad unlikely).

quote:
It certainly gets to be a subset of the story, "If Everybody Took Their Prescribed Meds, Life Would Be All Roses And Cherries" ...

Is there any evidence that he was not taking his meds? It could be that he was and they were not very effective for him.

quote:
Originally posted by Hiro's Leap:
quote:

Pre-meditation. If it turns out the co-pilot had planned his actions and it wasn't just an impulse, then you're right - there's not much difference between him and a bomber. It'd also be comparable to one of the U.S. school shootings.
Yes, it's possible that he intensely wanted to die, and wasn't interested in the others, but also possible that he did want to kill them also. Will we ever know? I guess they are hoping to find a diary a la Breivik.

I suppose most suicide bombers also anticipate publicity and justification by their group. Breivik did his own publicity, and didn't kill himself. In fact, Breivik actually smirked in court, rather chilling to see - and declared sane, of course.

quote:
JoannaP: Suicide is often described as "selfish" by those who have no experience of mental ill-health and I suggest that Lubnitz's death is not qualitatively different from somebody throwing themselves under a train, thus traumatising the driver and inconveniencing 100's on the train and all others affected by the closure of the line.
It does make a difference to the 149 people who died. I'm not buying that it didn't make a difference to the co-pilot either. I don't think that suicide is often a sudden impulse: there's a whole build-up to it. He could have killed himself in a million other ways, but he chose to do it taking 149 people with him. He must have done this for a reason, even if it's a madman's reason. In fact, he has said things before (to his ex-girlfriend?) that hinted at this.

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

quote:
meaning, for God's sake, give me some meaning, I'm starved of it, even if it's invented.

People sometimes do unpredictable things. They may even surprise themselves. -- I don't think there's much more. Unless you want things as credible as 'the devil made them do it'.

quote:

An ideology.

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
I heard, long before this happened, that if people
who have been on anti-depressants stop taking them abruptly, they may commit acts of violence.

Moo

Could be. I hear more about people who are very depressed and then start to feel better, gain energy and the wherewithal to formulate a plan and carry it off. Thus the initial feeling better isn't really feeling better, it's more in the behavioural and cognitive realms. With the emotional aspects taking longer.

There is negative physical response to suddenly stopping many anti-depressants; not sure about a database which shows violence as a result of sudden stopping.

Posted by bib (# 13074) on :

I am very concerned that so many people are now labelling anyone with a mental illness as a danger to others and more than likely to commit suicide. There is no real evidence that the plane accident was due to suicide - we only surmise that this was so. The pilot could have suffered a heart attack or maybe an aneurysm and lost consciousness. Any person who now has a diagnosed mental illness will quite justifiably be frightened to reveal this to anybody, particularly employers, for fear that they will no longer be able to: fly a plane, drive a bus, drive a car, ride a bike, get married, hold any job etc. Can we all stop contributing to the finger pointing and maybe give thanks that "there for the grace of God go I".

To repeat myself: the cockpit voice recorder evidence is that the co-pilot incited the pilot to leave the cockpit by spontaneously and actively suggesting that he go to the toilet, and that once the door was locked he engaged a steady descent.

If that doesn't constitute evidence of premeditated suicide - and it ignores the more speculative elements being thrown around - then I don't know what does.

Couple of things:

--Re suicide being a permanent fix to a temporary problem: When comedienne Joan Rivers' husband Edgar killed himself, their daughter said he'd told *her* that, and she said "why couldn't he remember that?"

--Re Teilhard's scenario of trying to get the person to hang on a little longer, you can kill yourself later if you need to, and I'll try to help you get through this: speaking as someone who spent (past tense) a lot of time in suicidal depression, you need to make absolutely sure that you don't fake any of that. There mustn't be the least whiff of "it's not that bad" or "when you feel better, you'll see it's not that bad". You'll lose credibility--as you should. Sometimes, it really IS that bad in reality. And it's always that bad in the person's head--which is where they live.

--Re meds: IANAD, but wrong meds and wrong dosage can make you worse; and going off meds can make your worse. Plus, IME, non-psych meds can have a psych effect. It's all very complicated. Each person's biochemistry is different. Some of us are prone to rare reactions, like the small print on a prescription package insert.

Posted by Leorning Cniht (# 17564) on :

quote:
When one is in a state where death appears to be the only viable option, thinking about the impact on other people is not meaningful.

If you are in a rational, or semi-rational, state where death appears to be the only viable option, then it's absolutely meaningful to consider the other people. (And I don't think this requires empathy. You can consider that killing people is wrong as an intellectual statement without needing to emote over it.)

quote:
Could be. I hear more about people who are very depressed and then start to feel better, gain energy and the wherewithal to formulate a plan and carry it off. Thus the initial feeling better isn't really feeling better, it's more in the behavioural and cognitive realms. With the emotional aspects taking longer.

When I worked in psychiatry as a student nurse we were told that often depressives lack the motivation when they are in a very dark place, it was when they start to recover that they make the decision to commit suicide. I remember a lovely kind man recovering from depression who absented himself and went and stood in front of a train.

I'm certainly not judging those with mental illness. I have bipolar disorder and have experienced psychosis in the past, though my own presentation means I would be have been more likely to kill myself by accident whilst manic than by suicide when depressed (I have never experienced suicidal depression, I tend towards mania). Same result in the end though. Thankfully, I am very well controlled and have been for well over a decade.

quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
quote:

When I worked in psychiatry as a student nurse we were told that often depressives lack the motivation when they are in a very dark place, it was when they start to recover that they make the decision to commit suicide. I remember a lovely kind man recovering from depression who absented himself and went and stood in front of a train.

I'm certainly not judging those with mental illness. I have bipolar disorder and have experienced psychosis in the past, though my own presentation means I would be have been more likely to kill myself by accident whilst manic than by suicide when depressed (I have never experienced suicidal depression, I tend towards mania). Same result in the end though. Thankfully, I am very well controlled and have been for well over a decade.

That's quite common in therapy, not suicide fortunately, but when people start to feel a bit better, they may suddenly sabotage it. If you are prepared for the possibility, you can point it out to the client, which may or may not work. I think some people are reluctant to give up their misery. But we can't really apply this to Lubitz.

quote:
Originally posted by bib:
I am very concerned that so many people are now labelling anyone with a mental illness as a danger to others and more than likely to commit suicide.

Are you talking about people on the ship? If so, I have not noticed anyone saying that all the mentally ill are dangerous. I have also not encountered it in the media.

Moo

quote:
Couple of things:

--Re suicide being a permanent fix to a temporary problem: When comedienne Joan Rivers' husband Edgar killed himself, their daughter said he'd told *her* that, and she said "why couldn't he remember that?"

--Re Teilhard's scenario of trying to get the person to hang on a little longer, you can kill yourself later if you need to, and I'll try to help you get through this: speaking as someone who spent (past tense) a lot of time in suicidal depression, you need to make absolutely sure that you don't fake any of that. There mustn't be the least whiff of "it's not that bad" or "when you feel better, you'll see it's not that bad". You'll lose credibility--as you should. Sometimes, it really IS that bad in reality. And it's always that bad in the person's head--which is where they live.

--Re meds: IANAD, but wrong meds and wrong dosage can make you worse; and going off meds can make your worse. Plus, IME, non-psych meds can have a psych effect. It's all very complicated. Each person's biochemistry is different. Some of us are prone to rare reactions, like the small print on a prescription package insert.

Helping a suicidal client/patient can be *tricky* ...
If (s)he feels and has come to believe that "suicide is the only viable option left ... and the world, my family, would be better off without me ..." Simply trying to forbid suicide may only increase her/his despair ...

So a common approach -- the one I have taken with clients/patients/congregants -- is to be the counselor for that person only if/when (s)he signs a contract -- with ME -- agreeing not to commit suicide while under MY care ...

From that point on, (s)he and I can work together on saving and healing her/his life and soul ...

quote:
Originally posted by Hiro's Leap:
quote:

Well that's the thing, isn't it. I fail to see how convincing the pilot to leave the cockpit, locking the door and putting the plane into a fatal descent while ignoring the banging at the door and screams of the other people on the plane who didn't want to die counts as anything other than a deliberate, conscious and premeditated act. Whatever his personal motivations were, he must have been able to hear those screams, to know that there were 150 people behind him who didn't want to die, and to decide to kill them anyway.

The absolute best-case explanation I can come up with is that he saw them as collateral damage in his mission to rid the world of himself. But that's still not enough to get him out of the "evil mass murderer" category in my book.

Sorry to be late getting back to you, Belle Ringer. I'm not saying that the 149 necessarily resent being whisked away from this world. But they will very probably want to understand why it happened. Lubnitz will also, of course, need to explain himself to God.

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

quote:
I was thinking that events like this are so rare and unpredictable,

They are, IMO, like mass shootings. Though shocking, they are rare and statistically insignificant, but indicative of a greater problem.
Though unpredictable? Not sure I agree. It would appear that psychiatrists had a pretty good indication that suitability to fly was questionable, but were not in the legal position to relay the information.

[ 31. March 2015, 17:56: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
I was thinking that events like this are so rare and unpredictable,

They are, IMO, like mass shootings. Though shocking, they are rare and statistically insignificant, but indicative of a greater problem.
Though unpredictable? Not sure I agree. It would appear that psychiatrists had a pretty good indication that suitability to fly was questionable, but were not in the legal position to relay the information.

I think there was a suggestion of screening students for possible assailants in the US, but there are very few parameters, maybe young men who feel alienated, which probably amounts to several million.

I don't think Lubitz's actions could be predicted.

Not predictable in the he will do that sense, but ISTM fairly much in the he is capable of sense.
There are many calls of don't stigmatise and I agree. This does not mean there should be not be a better attempt at assessment. Some people should not be in position to affect so many lives. Lubitz was definitely one. That is not a question. The question is whether this could have been avoided and, from what I have read thus far, it appears the system failed.
There can be no complete failsafe system, but this does not mean we cannot do better.

To make my position clear, it echoes that of Mind
quote:
Clearly assessment of all pilots’ physical and mental health is entirely appropriate - but assumptions about risk shouldn't be made across the board for people with depression, or any other illness. There will be pilots with experience of depression who have flown safely for decades, and assessments should be made on a case by case basis.

Posted by Fr Weber (# 13472) on :

quote:
quote:

Like Samson?
The analogy might be better if the plane had been filled with the pilot's enemies, who had captured him and imprisoned him within it.

quote:
Not predictable in the he will do that sense, but ISTM fairly much in the he is capable of sense.
There are many calls of don't stigmatise and I agree. This does not mean there should be not be a better attempt at assessment. Some people should not be in position to affect so many lives. Lubitz was definitely one. That is not a question. The question is whether this could have been avoided and, from what I have read thus far, it appears the system failed.
There can be no complete failsafe system, but this does not mean we cannot do better.

quote:
Clearly assessment of all pilots’ physical and mental health is entirely appropriate - but assumptions about risk shouldn't be made across the board for people with depression, or any other illness. There will be pilots with experience of depression who have flown safely for decades, and assessments should be made on a case by case basis.

Yes, that sounds OK. Some people seem to be saying that anyone who has been depressed, should not fly planes. I find that puzzling, as at the moment there is no evidence that depression caused his actions; and secondly, I don't think there are any predictions between depression and mass murder, (if that's what it is).

quote:
Originally posted by Fr Weber:
quote:
quote:

Like Samson?
The analogy might be better if the plane had been filled with the pilot's enemies, who had captured him and imprisoned him within it.
As an analogy, it would only work if that had been the case. Otherwise, it's completely irrelevant and false.

How exactly is a person who crashes a plane full of people* causing inevitable death and carnage more of a victim and less of a monster than the mass murderer who picks up victims on the street? Is there something about the moment of the decision vs the repeated moments of the serial killer? What if the serial killer was somehow mentally ill at the time, does that make a difference?

*assuming the usual disclaimer that we don't know all of the facts in this case yet. The moral point is still relevant.

Posted by rufiki (# 11165) on :

quote:

quote:

The Atlantic has gathered together some pilots' letters on the disaster. One point made (letter 2) is that the medical assessment is "virtually entirely adversarial", designed to give a binary answer to whether the person is fit to fly. They argue that this gives pilots who have problems an incentive to not seek help, and that a much better system would be aimed at managing health issues "to allow pilots to fly safely with as many medical issues as possible."

Others argue that 630 hours is simply insufficient experience.

[ 01. April 2015, 08:28: Message edited by: rufiki ]

quote:
How exactly is a person who crashes a plane full of people* causing inevitable death and carnage more of a victim and less of a monster than the mass murderer who picks up victims on the street? Is there something about the moment of the decision vs the repeated moments of the serial killer? What if the serial killer was somehow mentally ill at the time, does that make a difference?

*assuming the usual disclaimer that we don't know all of the facts in this case yet. The moral point is still relevant.

Does that make a difference to what? In some jurisdictions, mental illness could lead to a claim of diminished responsibility, but it's striking that, for example, Breivik was declared sane. If you mean morally, people have different views on that, don't they? To me, Breivik looked as mad as a hatter, but you could still label that evil. Many people saw the Yorkshire Ripper as evil, although he was supposedly a paranoid schizophrenic, and ended up in Broadmoor.

quote:
rufiki:The Atlantic has gathered together some pilots' letters on the disaster. One point made (letter 2) is that the medical assessment is "virtually entirely adversarial", designed to give a binary answer to whether the person is fit to fly. They argue that this gives pilots who have problems an incentive to not seek help, and that a much better system would be aimed at managing health issues "to allow pilots to fly safely with as many medical issues as possible."

Others argue that 630 hours is simply insufficient experience.

Dutch newspapers pointed to the short turnaround times for low budget airliners as an additional stress factor for pilots.

Yeah, I wondered about the co-pilot's low number of flying hours. (I presume that's in commercial craft.) The pilot had something like ten times as much flight time.

quote:
Yeah, I wondered about the co-pilot's low number of flying hours. (I presume that's in commercial craft.) The pilot had something like ten times as much flight time.

How is one supposed to get to a high number of flying hours if not via a sequence of lower numbers?

I think you can build up your hours by working as an instructor, working privately for hire, working for small regional companies, and other small jobs, even crop-dusting.

I stumbled across this article, suggesting that what has been presented as fact in this case is not the full story. .

It seems to suggest there were eyewitnesses whose accounts disagree with the now accepted narrative:
quote:
scant media coverage has been given to the eyewitnesses who heard an explosion and saw smoke coming out of the plane shortly before it crashed. A helicopter pilot in the French Air Force based in Orange, 30 minutes away from the site of the crash, said that the French Air Force had received a number of corroborating witness testimonies on this point. He also confirmed that debris was found upstream from the crash site - which he said confirmed the fact that the piece of fuselage had "been detached from the aircraft before impact".
Also, they seem to be suggesting that the whole thing about the co-pilot's respiration being audible on the black-box is unlikely:
quote:
One of the major pieces of data used to justify the "suicide pilot" story comes from the alleged CVR recording where, we are told, Lubitz's 'breath' can be heard. This claim has been directly contested by Gerard Arnoux, an 18-year Air France captain and spokesperson for the national monitoring committee on aviation safety, who appeared on 'Le Grande Journal' two days after the crash. Arnoux stated that there were three errors in the official story:

1) It is not possible to hear a pilot's breath on the CVR. Arnoux states that the cockpit of 1st generation A320s are very noisy, so much so that, in flight, pilots had to use headsets to speak to each other. The idea that the CVR could pick up Lubitz's breath with so much ambient noise is not possible, according to Arnoux.

2) The official story claims that investigators heard the 'beep' of the knob that Lubitz used to start the plane on its descent. Arnoux states categorically that this knob makes no sound.

3) Arnoux also wonders why no mention was made by investigators of hearing the loud strident beeping made by the cockpit door console when the emergency access code is entered to open the cockpit door. Arnoux recognizes that the emergency unlock code could have been overridden by someone in the cockpit manually holding the lock button down, but this would not have prevented the beeping once the code was entered outside. This would have been the clearest confirmation that one of the pilots had been locked out. Yet no mention was made of it. Instead, we are asked to accept the word of those privy to the CVR that someone was "banging on the door" and shouting "open the damn door". And with all that ambient noise in the cockpit too. They must have very good hearing.

Whatever the truth of it, Lubitz's family and friends must be beside themselves, I hope they are getting the support they need. [Votive]

Posted by betjemaniac (# 17618) on :

quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
I stumbled across this article, suggesting that what has been presented as fact in this case is not the full story. .

It seems to suggest there were eyewitnesses whose accounts disagree with the now accepted narrative:
quote:
scant media coverage has been given to the eyewitnesses who heard an explosion and saw smoke coming out of the plane shortly before it crashed. A helicopter pilot in the French Air Force based in Orange, 30 minutes away from the site of the crash, said that the French Air Force had received a number of corroborating witness testimonies on this point. He also confirmed that debris was found upstream from the crash site - which he said confirmed the fact that the piece of fuselage had "been detached from the aircraft before impact".
Also, they seem to be suggesting that the whole thing about the co-pilot's respiration being audible on the black-box is unlikely:
quote:
One of the major pieces of data used to justify the "suicide pilot" story comes from the alleged CVR recording where, we are told, Lubitz's 'breath' can be heard. This claim has been directly contested by Gerard Arnoux, an 18-year Air France captain and spokesperson for the national monitoring committee on aviation safety, who appeared on 'Le Grande Journal' two days after the crash. Arnoux stated that there were three errors in the official story:

1) It is not possible to hear a pilot's breath on the CVR. Arnoux states that the cockpit of 1st generation A320s are very noisy, so much so that, in flight, pilots had to use headsets to speak to each other. The idea that the CVR could pick up Lubitz's breath with so much ambient noise is not possible, according to Arnoux.

2) The official story claims that investigators heard the 'beep' of the knob that Lubitz used to start the plane on its descent. Arnoux states categorically that this knob makes no sound.

3) Arnoux also wonders why no mention was made by investigators of hearing the loud strident beeping made by the cockpit door console when the emergency access code is entered to open the cockpit door. Arnoux recognizes that the emergency unlock code could have been overridden by someone in the cockpit manually holding the lock button down, but this would not have prevented the beeping once the code was entered outside. This would have been the clearest confirmation that one of the pilots had been locked out. Yet no mention was made of it. Instead, we are asked to accept the word of those privy to the CVR that someone was "banging on the door" and shouting "open the damn door". And with all that ambient noise in the cockpit too. They must have very good hearing.

Whatever the truth of it, Lubitz's family and friends must be beside themselves, I hope they are getting the support they need. [Votive]

Are you proposing sott.net as a reputable source?? It seems to be operating in the David Icke spectrum to me in all honesty...

It's not a site I've ever been aware of before, it's a link from a link from a link found in idle wandering - perhaps I should have added a caveat about not being sure of the provenance. The article doesn't seem beyond plausible though - and it is, if nothing else, a reminder that the investigation has not reported its findings, yet the media has been reporting as though it has.

This is going to be a problem, that already conspiracy theorists are gathering like vultures, although this is not necessarily one of them. It's astonishing also how many experts on depression and mental illness are blossoming. Who knew that the Daily Mail offered training courses in psychiatry! I think also that some people are looking for patterns, and there may not be any.

quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
It's not a site I've ever been aware of before, it's a link from a link from a link found in idle wandering - perhaps I should have added a caveat about not being sure of the provenance. The article doesn't seem beyond plausible though - and it is, if nothing else, a reminder that the investigation has not reported its findings, yet the media has been reporting as though it has.

Check out the Quantum Future Group. which seems to sponsor Signs of the Times (sott website).

YMMV but I'd say "not to be trusted" myself.

[ 02. April 2015, 11:49: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

Thanks for the link, Barnabas.

QFG does seem to be pretty out there, at least the non-quantum stuff. I don't know enough about quantum theory to evaluate that.

But that particular article about the flight seems more or less on a normal spectrum of thought. The author seems mainly to be saying:

--We don't have much info from the investigators yet.

--The mainstream media is jumping the gun, exaggerating, and possibly making things up.

--Some experienced pilots have trouble with the story from the mainstream media, especially pilot Gerard Arnoux.

--The mainstream story must be hell for the co-pilot's family--unnecessarily, because it might not be true.

--Supposedly, there are eyewitness reports of things going wrong before the crash--e.g., smoke and explosion--and the fuselage reportedly fell separately. Which doesn't fit the "crazy co-pilot with a death wish" scenario.

I don't know if any of it is true; but it doesn't seem wildly untrue, and AFAICS doesn't draw from QFG ideology.

FWIW.

quote:
--Supposedly, there are eyewitness reports of things going wrong before the crash--e.g., smoke and explosion--and the fuselage reportedly fell separately. Which doesn't fit the "crazy co-pilot with a death wish" scenario.

I don't know if any of it is true; but it doesn't seem wildly untrue, and AFAICS doesn't draw from QFG ideology.

I haven't seen a single first-hand "eyewitness report".

Any "expert" who speculates in the media about the media is probably not worth their salt.

To my certain knowledge, the Daily Mail has quoted, in "news articles", "pilot sources" that are actually posts on a pilots' forum on which I am a registered member with a posting history (you don't need to be a pilot to join!).

The Flight Data Recorder has apparently just been found, and if it's at all usable I'm sure that will reveal more, in due time.

FFS, people. Don't need "eyewitness" accounts or dodgy websites.
The cockpit recording, which official sources aren't disputing, supports the prosecutor's narrative.
As does this:
quote:
Dusseldorf, Germany (CNN)Analysis of a tablet device belonging to Germanwings Flight 9525 co-pilot Andreas Lubitz shows he researched methods of suicide on the Internet in the days leading up to the crash, the public prosecutor's office in Dusseldorf, Germany, said Thursday.

Prosecutor Christoph Kumpa said that on one day, Lubitz also "searched for several minutes with search terms relating to cockpit doors and their security measures."

You may call it a kangaroo if you wish, but we've seen the walk and heard the quack.

I was posting while procrastinating this morning - having looked more around that website, and looked at the link above, it looks like it's probably not really worth the effort.
Apologies.

quote:
The Flight Data Recorder has apparently just been found, and if it's at all usable I'm sure that will reveal more, in due time.

According to the BBC, it shows that he not only deliberately sent the plane down, but sped it up on the way.

quote:
quote:

According to the BBC, it shows that he not only deliberately sent the plane down, but sped it up on the way.
That at least saved the 149 people a few seconds or minutes of horror.

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
quote:

That at least saved the 149 people a few seconds or minutes of horror.
I suppose we could scratch some level of *mercy* from the episode … None of those passengers will ever again undergo the agony of a visit to the dentist, nor ever again pay a penny in taxes ...

Posted by The5thMary (# 12953) on :

Just to clarify something Golden Key said. Richard Jewel did NOT kill himself. He died of natural causes (kidney disease, diabetes, other things).

Actually, I did clarify that later. [Angel]

© Ship of Fools 2016