Thread: Canada - God keep our land... Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=029353

Posted by Uncle Pete (# 10422) on :

Happy New Year! Bonne année!

Even if it is still just past 7 on New Year's Eve here in the Centre of the Universe™* the time is fast approaching.

God bless us all! And save us from politicians of whatever stripe (usually yellow, but YMMV).

*adjust Centre of the Universe™ to match your time zone.

[ 31. December 2014, 11:23: Message edited by: Uncle Pete ]

Posted by lily pad (# 11456) on :

Happy New Year fellow Canadian types. It is a bitterly cold day here on a certain Island in the Atlantic. Thankfully, the fireworks will be going off at 7:30 pm. I realize it is so that the children can enjoy it but I must say it is a very reasonable time for those of a certain age as well.

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

Happy New Year from the mystic East; I'd have posted this at midnight Newfoundland time if I hadn't been out celebrating with friends.

[Smile]

Posted by Sober Preacher's Kid (# 12699) on :

Happy New Year.

And may lighting strike our illustrious Prime Minister. For once I get to work in the Federally Regulated Private Sector, and I want to start a union drive. It's a call centre, and three other of the company's centres are organized.

But Mr. Stiff Hair repealed the Canada Labour Code provision that allowed for card-check certification, starting next June.

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

Happy New Year folks.

SPK - It just goes to show that Harpo and Marx don't have much in common, after all!

Harpo, at least, was funny. Harper is just a joke.

Posted by Og: Thread Killer (# 3200) on :

That's an answer from one of my high school math exams, not a year.

This century is just flying along, eh?

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

Happy 2oh15. Was -35 until today when it't -8°.

Stephen Harper is actually bald isn't he? That has to be a wig. His are the worst neckties as well. Such a very bad appearance for Canada.

Posted by daisymay (# 1480) on :

Happy New Year 2015.

May people be pleased all year ! Enjoy it soon !

Posted by Oscar the Grouch (# 1916) on :

Happy New Year.

Almost my first anniversary in Canada. So good....

Posted by Trudy Scrumptious (# 5647) on :

Another check-in from the Far East of the Western World here ... Happy New Year everyone!

Posted by Ferdzy (# 8702) on :

Happy new year to all! (Except Harper; of course. I hope his is lousy.)

I take it from sundry posts above that the season of goodwill towards all men doesn't extend to our Illustrious Leader ... [Big Grin]

eta: I don't have a vote: he isn't my fault.

[ 03. January 2015, 21:14: Message edited by: Piglet ]

Canada - Russia gold medal game at the World Juniors in Toronto. I wonder if Harper bought the tickets for the 2 suits sitting behind him. I don't they like hockey. Pretty grim looking. Harper's wig is crooked.

Has anyone else noticed that the Weather Channel seems to be broken?

All we're getting is pictures with very low-level sound (and TWN is usually much louder than other channels), and the local forecasts are just a blank blue screen.

Is it just over here, or all over Canada?

No idea about the tv station as I don't have one but I can tell you it is clear and cold with a stiff wind here!

Temperature is -19 degrees Celsius with a windchill of -34 and winds at 43 gusting to 54 km per hour.

Had a lovely walk with the dog this morning but was thankful to have the wind at my back on the return.

Weather Channel back to normal this evening.

It was v. windy and felt really cold here today, and having got rid of most of the sn*w, we're now being forecast to get a shed-load more on Wednesday/Thursday.

Don't you just hate January? [Frown]

I know what you mean, Piglet, it's so cold here I needed a top sheet last night!

Posted by Leaf (# 14169) on :

I hate you, Wodders. Nothing personal.

Just got in the door, and it's -26C here, windchill -38C. That's cold enough for us locals to start bitching about it. [Big Grin] Above those temperatures, well, that's just winter.

Posted by Horseman Bree (# 5290) on :

Yeah, we had -24 C here with 40 km/h winds, just a mite nippy. people wandering around today with their jackets open in the calm air at -13

-36°C this morning, warmed up to -24 this evening. I got little bits of frost bite again on both cheeks while riding the bike to work. Eyeglasses wearers cannot cover their faces and expect unfogged glasses. Goggles and sport glasses don't work either. I will personally pay someone a whole heck of a lot of money to invent face coverings for eyeglasses wearers that don't fog up with either breath fog or eye socket and face sweat.

When I rode a motorbike on winter days, but not as cold as yours, I used to smear neat dishwashing liquid on my specs and that was pretty effective.

-36° is beyond my experience or even imagination, although I've a friend who's a priest up in Labrador, and she said on FB that it was -45° and -54 with the wind-chill today.

**brrrrrr**

Sounds about normal for most of the Prairies and the Boreal Forest.

Had a snow-day today - first of the season.

Unfortunately that also means we've got snow. [Frown]

Posted by Augustine the Aleut (# 1472) on :

Just back in the motherland from godless Florida, and greatly refreshed by my -16°C walk to get my morning baguette.

CBC radio broadcast an interview by the great Peter Gzowski with the recently-passed Don Harron, whose character Charlie Farquarson is also obviously passed. Sorry to hear of another of the old guard of good broadcasters and literate people go.
[Votive]

Howling winds and -25 temps on Saturday, now we have +6 and steady rain. Managed to get the drainage clear to keep the water out of the basement door, so this must be the "January thaw".

Temps in the -5 to -10 range forecast for the next week.

We're getting a (probably) very brief thaw at the moment - the water's gushing merrily down the hill outside our house.

Probably won't be enough to get rid of very much of the snow though. [Frown]

We had lots of snow on Sunday and by last night it was all gone. High winds all day yesterday and heavy rain from mid-afternoon until late in the evening took care of it. I don't like driving at night at the best of times but the 50 minute trip to town last night was hard work. This morning when I let the dog out it looked like a whole different world. It is so dark out now without the bright snow.

Posted by John Holding (# 158) on :

Was handed my first RUTRTW today. (Alas, no frebbies.) Spring must be on the way!

John

Somebody has put together a google map of noted toboggan hills.

Love it! Although some hills are still missing. Then again, the 40 cm that we are getting now on top of the 27 from Saturday have created some lovely sledding opportunities right in my front yard.

And we didn't have any rain! Yay! (although rain doesn't seem to happen much at -17 C)

Brilliant sun, but chilling wind. At least the wind will blow the snow lifted by the blower.

Typical - RUTR starts, and where am I? In Scotland, where there aren't any Timmys.

Guess where my first stop will be when I hit Halifax airport next Tuesday ... [Big Grin]

And there are TWO Roll-Ups again.

So far, I'm 0 for 2.

104 cm. in the last few days, and another 20-30 on the way tonight.

Some roads may not be plowed because there is no way to get the snow over the banks that are already there.

I hear you - we're only getting another 15 cm or so in this storm. We're running out of places to put the snow too. I'm having to step up onto the deck to throw the snow on top of the banks which are over six feet tall now. It's fun to play in though!

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Typical - RUTR starts, and where am I? In Scotland, where there aren't any Timmys.

Guess where my first stop will be when I hit Halifax airport next Tuesday ... [Big Grin]

Starbucks for a Chardonnay?

That may depend on whether it's as overpriced as their coffee. [Big Grin]

104cm and rising, HB??? Crikey! [Eek!]

We got enough last year that the Council started running out of places to put it, but so far this year (crosses fingers, toes, eyes etc.) we've had very little. When I spoke to D. yesterday he said they'd had lots of rain and wind since I've been away, which is fine because you don't have to shovel those.

[Votive] that you stay safe, and don't get any power cuts.

lilypad:
quote:
It's fun to play in though!
Our 9-m.o. pup, who is quite long-legged and animated, absolutely adores the possibilities of snow. He seems to be able to throw his own snowballs - at least, that's what I think he chases! he can get up 6 feet of more-or-less vertical snowbank.

piglet: rain is the last thing we need. You can't throw wet snow, it plugs up the snowblower, and the streets (and everything else) become covered in lumpy ice when the cold comes back. This stuff can be thrown about 10 m. or so with the blower, and packs down a bit once it it piled.

But I do have lawn space to put it on, since we're not in a cramped space.

My dog is very active and does the same with the snow. She is hilarious when I throw snow balls. She's just under 40 pounds with long legs and is a year and a half old. She seems to levitate up and down the big snowdrifts.

I tie her out and have been worried what would happen if the line got caught up and she was dangling and, sure enough, tonight it happened. I was watching her at the time and she was sort of able to scramble back up. I have cut down many of the banks trying to have no sharp edges but she found an area where it was a straight drop of at least five feet down.

A case of giving her enough rope so she won't hang herself!

Indeed - problem is that the snow got warm enough that the line would catch in it. Ahh, and look, the radio just said we're getting another 20 cm. Won't that be fun!?!

I really feel for those poor people in Kitimat and Terrace. Snowfall is one thing and to be expected, but more than 120 cm in 24 hours of precipitation. [Eek!]

Shoppers Drug is taking emergency prescriptions by phone and said prescriptions are being delivered by search and rescue people.

Kinda puts Trawna in the shade, eh? And they haven't even called in the army. Just put on their big person pants and getting on with it.

And that close to the ocean, the snow is probably the wet stuff you can't shovel or snowblow.

quote:
... so far this year we've had very little ...

I think I may have spoken too soon - they're offering us 30-45cm tomorrow.

[Frown]

quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Pete:

Kinda puts Trawna in the shade, eh? And they haven't even called in the army. Just put on their big person pants and getting on with it.

We've dealt with crappy weather for real here too Pete.

The memories of the ice storm in 2013-2014 are still fresh.

Time to put away that old story. Kids not born then will be able to vote for the next mayor in this burb. And the joke isn't true to this city's character, if it ever was.

Winter can be the best season if you are active. I am nearly a senior (see Hell thread) and I road my winter bike to work at -28° and a -36 windchill. No fear and almost over dressed. We got a nice snow dump last weekend so we are off for 4 days of skiing, including a loppet. Trails are tracked!

quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
quote:

Time to put away that old story. Kids not born then will be able to vote for the next mayor in this burb. And the joke isn't true to this city's character, if it ever was.

Quite right, but it was to (then Mayor) Mel Lastman's.

Mel has been gone for over 11 years now.

Anyhoo, its funny how the -25 or so out there right now still isn't a dry cold. Air feels moist. And tastes salty, of course, with all the salt they use around here.

Family is 0 for 2 on RUTR2W. Did the online for a couple of days but it got real boring really quickly, and the odds of winning anything on there are about as good as winning the lottery.

Posted by Stetson (# 9597) on :

quote:
quote:

Well, people still talk about Mayor Ralph Klein circa 1980 saying that there were too many "eastern creeps and bums" in Calgary(or, alternately, and inaccurately, that the "eastern bastards" should "freeze in the dark", which was actually a bumper sticker).

And there doesn't seem to be much much that I, as an Albertan, can do about that. So I'd recommend just steeling your nerve and chuckling along with the mildly unflattering recollections.

quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
... The memories of the ice storm in 2013-2014 are still fresh.

Time to put away that old story ...

Oh I don't know - us Brits who remember the summer of '76 (which was, by British standards, particularly hot), still talk about it in hushed, reverent voices. [Big Grin]

The winds are now at 77 km/hr with gusts to 100 but forecast to go up to 120 km/hr. The system has stalled over us so the new snowfall amount is 66 cm. Just another wintry blast in the Maritimes! Very thankful to have a warm house and power.

Posted by sophs (# 2296) on :

In a similar way to the us thread, anyone heading over to the uk ant time soon who is willing to be a nappy mule? I've found a Canadian site...

quote:
Mel has been gone for over 11 years now.
*snip*

And until Mayor Ford, we were grateful for every one of those years since Mel stepped down. As a tangential sidebar, I was listening to (Calgary Mayor) Naheed Nenshi on a podcast talking about municipal financial infrastructure as I walked along and wondered why we can't make him Prime Minister tomorrow.

However, the seat of government is pretty frigid right now and tomorrow's holiday (Family Day== yet another conceptual oppression of bachelorhood) has a prediction of -37°C with windchill. Neighbour cat Pedro was outside for 10 minutes, its fur fluffed up to polar bear levels, and came back in quite miffed by the discomfort of it all.

quote:
(Family Day== yet another conceptual oppression of bachelorhood)
Slightly tangential, but I believe that Alberta was the first province to institute that holiday, in 1989, under the generally unrenowned Premier Getty.

The general theory(albeit denied by the premier) was that Getty was trying to put a silver lining on his son Dale's very public cocaine follies.

link

The race is still on, and won't be cancelled for snowfall.

Charlottetown is now up to 334 cm. of snow in this round of storms, with Moncton trailing at 330 cm.

Halifax and Saint John are both out of the running due to heavy rain in the middle of this last event, leaving several major streets flooded.

Posted by Stercus Tauri (# 16668) on :

After living in Montreal, I try not to complain too much about the weather, but -30°C last night seemed unnecessary. Even less necessary was the VW's starter motor departing this life on Saturday morning. It's no longer a job I can do myself, and with a public holiday today, nobody will look at it until Tuesday.

The monstrous furball of a cat has short term memory issues and keeps wanting to go out, realising ten seconds later that it was a mistake.

Snarls and swears at car, cat and weather. It is a beautiful sunny day, though.

quote:
quote:
(Family Day== yet another conceptual oppression of bachelorhood)
Slightly tangential, but I believe that Alberta was the first province to institute that holiday, in 1989, under the generally unrenowned Premier Getty.

The general theory(albeit denied by the premier) was that Getty was trying to put a silver lining on his son Dale's very public cocaine follies.

link

BC had Family Day a week ago. It rained really hard all day, so it was a bit of a wash out.

Still, temperatures are around +10C at the moment on VI. And not a sniff of snow all "winter". I'm trying hard to feel sorry for you all. Really I am...
[Big Grin]

I'm sorry, Oscar, but that really isn't working ... [Big Grin]

Having said that, we didn't get any really significant snow until last Thursday; I was over in Scotland the previous week and there was more snow in Edinburgh than there had been in St. John's. In February.

[Confused]

We got some rain last night that sent rivulets cascading down the hill outside Château Piglet, but it wasn't really enough to make a big impression.

At least the 30+cm they were offering us for Wednesday seems to have been commuted to 10-15cm.

It says on my Timmy's™ cup that there are millions of prizes to be won.

How many have I gagnezed? None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. The square root of bugger-all.

I hope the rest of you are doing better than I am - you certainly can't be doing any worse. [Frown]

quote:

How many have I gagnezed? None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. The square root of bugger-all.

I hope the rest of you are doing better than I am - you certainly can't be doing any worse. [Frown]

I won a free coffee! I was so delighted - this NEVER happens to me.

Sorry, Tim's has been closed due to the snow. This is day three of being told to stay inside. Storm is over but the cleanup will take a while.

Posted by Gee D (# 13815) on :

Those of you still in Shrove Tuesday may like to observe the day correct;y, bu following these rituals:

Shrove Tuesday

We were shriven yesterday and are now in Lent.

quote:
quote:
quote:

Well, people still talk about Mayor Ralph Klein circa 1980 ...
Never once heard that discussed as a key to Calgarian's character, even in the mid to late 80's.

Sometimes I think, "We should do drive-through ashing. That would be so cool." -31 C -(-44C windchill) = NOPE.

That's fine and dandy assuming that your car isn't buried in a 6-foot snow-drift ... [Big Grin]

The big dump of snow they were forecasting here for today doesn't seem to have materialised (so far), so I imagine our Ash Wednesday service will go ahead.

As our clergy live across the road from the Cathedral there's no real excuse for it not to go ahead anyway (although if the weather were to be really foul, the only congregation would probably be D. and me, as we don't live very far away either.

Posted by Caissa (# 16710) on :

We have had 10 feet of snow in Saint John so far this year. Thery are threatening another 5-10 cms for tomorrow.

Is all your snow staying or did some melt? 10 feet would be a struggle to know where to put it.

Curiously, we had nearly 10 days of melty temps (we never get those in Jan-Feb ever!) , but followed by about 2 feet of fluffy and temps of -30. Less snow here on the prairies, but lots of drifts. On the highway on Monday, it became sunny, but we were in white out conditions at times with the ground drift.

It is all staying. They have trucked over 12 000 loads of snow so far.

They've just announced that schools will be closed again tomorrow. Lots of roads have to wait for a blower because the plows can't move the snow. I did manage to free my front door from the snow by shovelling down and then up with my back bent against the roof of the house. The snow that is covering my front window appears to have pulled away a little bit as the temperature has warmed up to -10 with a lovely hot sun. About to go snow shoeing with my pup. Car hasn't been out since Saturday!

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well, people still talk about Mayor Ralph Klein circa 1980 ...
Never once heard that discussed as a key to Calgarian's character, even in the mid to late 80's.
Well, it was(and is) more discussed as key to Alberta's character, along with the "freeze in the dark" thing.

This book apparently links "freeze in the dark" to the west as a whole, though I think it was only ever really current in the oil-producing regions. Note that the correction at the bottom of the review discusses the common confusion between that slogan and the Klein quote.

It wasn't so bad in the 1950s (when I was in school) but, by the 1970s, Manitobans had come to be regarded as "dangerous Eastern lefties" by the possessors of the oil. That's what unearned wealth does to you, I guess.

Of course, in the 1950s, there were still people who remembered having received shipments of hay from "the East", even on dried fish from Newfoundland (helping out another country/colony). And ISTM that loads of round-bale hay went west from NB in the '90s as well. One's good deeds never go unpunished.

For those interested in snow, here is Cindy Day's comment on the drifting following an 80 cm. fall

And here are some slides of the 25-foot tunnel that one young couple dug to find their car. At least, they were out of the wind!

quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
quote:

I won a free coffee! I was so delighted - this NEVER happens to me.
<Bump>

I've just won my third free cup. And I don't go into Tim's that often.

After three weeks and about thirty cups of coffee, I've finally gagnezed un café! [Yipee]

Anyone watching the Brier? I think most newsworthy item is John Morris stepping down to 3rd and Pat Simmons skipping.

Posted by sharkshooter (# 1589) on :

quote:
After three weeks and about thirty cups of coffee, I've finally gagnezed un café! [Yipee]

Not me. I'm 0 for about 25 this year so far.

Thanks, Sharkshooter - that makes me feel much better. [Two face]

The lady at Timmy's at w*rk today gave me an extra cup (I think she felt sorry for me), but I gagnezed bugger-all on it. [Frown]

The snow is mostly melted around here but we didn't get that much.

Tis the season for discarded coffee cups.

Since we've not had a weather report in days, we've just had another 46 cm of snow with very high winds. Basically, everything has been shut down since dawn yesterday. The snow is now 10-12 feet high in my yard and about five feet high in my driveway. More snow coming tomorrow night and into Wednesday. Makes for very quiet days with lots of shovelling.

Pretty well everything was closed here today: I think it's the first time I've seen the University's early-morning closure announcement say "for the rest of the day" rather than "for the morning with an update at lunch-time".

We got just over a foot of snow between last night and today, which the Council have kindly ploughed into a 6'-high by 6'-wide snow-bank along the edge of the road outside our house. [Mad]

D. and another bloke shovelled out a little path to join the one cut by someone down the road with a snow-blower, but I can't say I'm looking forward to going out to w*rk tomorrow.

I suppose we shouldn't complain: this is only the second major dump of snow we've had this winter, but it doesn't stop it being a royal pain in the @®$€.

quote:
The snow is mostly melted around here but we didn't get that much.

Your melt water is our flood water. Don't thaw out too quickly!

What's the matter with shippies? None of them seem to follow that quintessentially Canadian game, curling. Even the Scots on the ship seem indifferent, with their team not yet out (they're in the 3rd place game). But Scotland can suck eggs even if they originated the game.

Well, may I encourage you to follow Canada vs Switzerland in the 1-2 playoff today at the World Women's in Sapporo Japan.

My 13 year old son has been curling for 7 years. Go Jennifer.

The calendar lies.

-16C is not spring.

Enough, already.

Only -13 degrees here.........with a -26 windchill. You know, our third blizzard since my last post. Everything is completely shut down but, we've kept our power so it is all good.

I'm very grateful to the people of the Maritimes for catching most of the snow that would have otherwise come our way this winter - the amount you've had makes ours look like the icing on a cup-cake.

Stay safe, and [Votive] that you don't get any more.

quote:
I'm very grateful to the people of the Maritimes for catching most of the snow that would have otherwise come our way this winter - the amount you've had makes ours look like the icing on a cup-cake.

Stay safe, and [Votive] that you don't get any more.

Indeed, as a native Maritimer, I feel for all you. Enough, indeed.

Was out shovelling what the plow left and playing with my dog this morning when I realized that when standing on the snowbank that is my front yard, I no longer look directly at the edge of the roof, I look at the top of chimney.

On Thursday, it is to be +8 with another storm but of rain. Won't that be fun!?! I'd be happy to share that with you Piglet. How about we take the +8 and you take the rain storm?

I'll happily take a rain-storm if it'll melt some of the snow. You don't have to shovel rain.

The council have put signs up saying they're clearing away some of the snow from our road tonight. This is a Good Thing, assuming it's not because they've heard that we're getting some more and they need somewhere to put it ... [Eek!]

Its supposed to be like spring tomorrow.

A cool spring mind you.

quote:
Its supposed to be like spring tomorrow ...

Yeah, right - we had sn*w this evening, which now seems to be turning to freezing rain. [Frown]

I've warned Pete that it will be snowing when he lands in Ottawa - I think he's looking forward to it...

...or is he?

Really? [Devil]

Nobody sings about dreaming of a white Easter... It snew nearly an inch before we left for church, and last night I drove through the worst snowfall of the winter* - a short one, but intense goose feathers for half an hour. I am usually a happy cold weather person, but this is absurd.

* Yes - I know it's not officially winter any more.

quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
... It snew nearly an inch ...

New word! [Yipee]

It's the sort of word my late grandfather would have appreciated. He loved card games, and if he was losing, he'd assume I'd cheated and say, "you chote!" "Snew" as the past tense of "to snow" would have tickled his funny-bone no end.

If it's any comfort, it snew an inch or two here last night as well.

[ 06. April 2015, 13:53: Message edited by: Piglet ]

You see, I told you, it is preparing for the Big White Out which will commence within minutes of Pete landing back in Ottawa so about 4 p.m. Tuesday 14th April*.

I agree that snew is a splendid word.

*edited to add that this timing is variable dependent on the vagaries of Air Canadia.

[ 06. April 2015, 14:11: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

quote:
quote:
... It snew nearly an inch ...

New word! [Yipee]

I wish I could claim credit for it, but it's old. I think I heard it in an old poem I heard from my mother, that may have gone something like this:

First it rained and then it snew
Then it friz and then it thew
And then it friz again.

Then it fogged and then it blew
And very shortly after then
It rained and snew
and friz and thew
and fogged and blew again.

Snew is a good word in December and I even don't mind it in January and February. I even can deal with that action in March and April, if we have had a proper thaw. We have not yet.

Mind you, if the article I read today about melting Arctic ice dropping the temperature of the Gulf Stream permanently is correct, snew is going to become quite a bit more of an action in England.

[Frown]

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... the Big White Out which will commence within minutes of Pete landing back in Ottawa ...

As long as it confines itself to Ottawa, that's fine ... [Devil]

Jurgen Gothe has died. I used to listen to DiscDrive daily, and then, after the CBC turfed nearly all the classical and progressive music from CBC2, I stopped. Jurgen was a wonderful host, and I miss his show, and now, him.

For a while I owed my sanity to Jurgen Gothe, though my Dear Wife claims the opposite. She is bracing herself for an outburst of favourite quotes. I had a ghastly commute to Mississauga, but the evening drive was a lot easier with Disc Drive. Then there were lucky times, like tuning in on the way to the airport in Montreal, and catching him again when I got in my own car at Toronto. It wasn't just his choice of music; he cared about the choice of recording. I have never forgiven the CBC for cancelling his programme.

quote:
For a while I owed my sanity to Jurgen Gothe, though my Dear Wife claims the opposite.

She claims Jurgen Gothe owed his sanity to you?

RIP Jurgen.

Posted by Kittyville (# 16106) on :

Ah, Canada - it's good to be back.

That is all - for now. Never been to Montréal before, so may be back later in the week, once I've seen a bit more of it.

Welcome, Kittyville - have a wonderful time. [Smile]

Thanks, Piglet! After two days of conference tedium, we're playing hooky tomorrow and heading out for a ramble round town. Then to the Bell Centre for game 5 of the playoffs. The tickets cost un bras et la moitié de l'autre, but when am I likely to be able to go to such a game again?

Allez les Canadiens!

The Habs sure struggled in that game! You certainly are right about the ticket prices for NHL.

Meanwhile, on the praires, we have a blizzard. About 6" of snow so far. Maybe ski tomorrow.

[ 25. April 2015, 21:32: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

Conceding that first soft goal seemed to sap their confidence, but the Senators were dogged, so fair play to them. Looking forward to game 6 now!

Jealous of your skiing. It's been too long since I went.

In Toronto now, somewhere else I haven't been before, so off for a bit of an explore tomorrow before 2 days in the office.

St. Carey comes through in the clutch.

Just bumping this to avoid the Hostly Spring-cleaning Broom.

Spring is almost beginning to spring here in the mystic East; actually that should be misty East, which is how we can tell it's nearly spring - you can't see the end of your nose.

Plows are out on the roads here today - 10 cm expected - just another day in April.

We had 30 cm over the weekend. Power failures all over due to the heaviness and wetness. It's +9°C this morning, and it will all be going I think today and tomorrow. You're right, just another April day.

Thankfully there is only about 3-4 feet of snow still in the yard so another bit isn't too bad - you can keep the 30 cm. We're hoping for +13 next week.

Where's Meg? I think Alberta is slipping into the Twilight Zone. [Two face]

quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:

Here is some memoribilia from the last time that what is predicted to be happening on Tuesday happened...

Daveberta

The NDP flyer, ninth from the top, is interesting. Notice that they were accusing the Tories of planning a sales tax, which they have never introduced, and foregoing a rise in royalty rates, which the Tories did in fact implement in '72.

Posted by Meg the Red (# 11838) on :

quote:

You rang? [Big Grin]

Should be an interesting election; the advance poll at which Mr. Red and I voted was so crowded that we had to park a wee bit illegally to be able to exercise our franchise.

My vote won't change anything as we live in a solidly Dipper riding whose excellent MLA I have consistently supported. However, there are signs of change; on a trip through the countryside south of Edmonton this weekend, I counted about twice as many NDP signs on private property as those representing other parties Very unusual for rural ridings! (I acknowledge that I may have miscounted because, y'know, math is difficult.) [Devil]

I dunno about you, but if the NDP pull this off in Alberta, I will have to be sedated.

They're calling it the Orange Chinook. [Big Grin]

quote:
I dunno about you, but if the NDP pull this off in Alberta, I will have to be sedated.

Somehow I pictured you dancing in the street. [Biased]

For a start. [Smile]

The last election the polls had Wildrose leading. Albertans got cold feet. Let's hope they don't this time after 45 years. Alberta has a history of single party hegemonies going back to the UFA.

quote:

Hey, enough with the Calgaracentric metaphors!

Joking aside, the phrase is still rather ironic, because, going by past numbers, the regions of Alberta most likely to return large numbers of New Democrats are also the ones with no experience of chinooks.

Though I guess we'll now in a few hours if that trend holds up.

MY WORD!!!!

Rachel Notley, PC, MLA, DRAGONSLAYER

[Big Grin]

I was a student page in the provincial legislature when her father was an MLA, the sole NDP representative in the House. Like my parents, I admired him greatly; he was an incredibly principled, dedicated, hardworking man whose life ended tragically and far too soon.

The majority of my fellow pages had Tory connections, and literally laughed out loud at me when I made the mistake of telling them my parents had voted NDP in the previous election. When I told this story to Grant Notley's daughter at a fundraiser a few years ago, she nodded, then said that she was working to make sure that the NDP would be taken very seriously one day.

Yesterday was that day. Mr. Notley would be so proud, as am I.

It looks like a horrible urban-rural split. What a dogs breakfast of a government that will be.

I do admit that it is one thing that Tories manage to manipulate rather well.

Good luck. Hope she won't be a one term wonder.

Profound booing when she mentioned working with Mr. Harper. But it's okay, Saskatchewan is the new Alberta. [Waterworks]

So Meg, how does if feel to wake up in an NDP-run province?

I've done so much happy dancing, I can skip the gym. [Smile]

That being said, Notley's not going to have an easy ride, particularly as she's inherited a steaming heap of economic mismanagement from the Tories. But she's tough and savvy and personable and feeds on the snivelling of PC cronies who've lost their easy access to provincial coffers.

In the meantime, Orange Crush was disappearing from our meeting room fridges at a great rate today; I work with some really gleeful pinkos. [Big Grin]

[ 06. May 2015, 23:43: Message edited by: Meg the Red ]

The good people of Lloydminster must feel very confused right now.

What pleases me most is the discovery of Alberta's new renewable energy source, generated by the rapid rotations emanating from Ralph Klein's grave.

Roll on, Ralphie! [Devil]

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

A discreet civil servant sent me a picture (privately) of pigs flying. The photo was captioned Meanwhile in Alberta...

I posted that picture on my Facebook page. Be interesting to see if it translates into federal seats in the fall.

I got the kids knock knock joke sent, which ends with "Orange you sad you called an election".

Will there be an effect on the rest of the country? And will politics finally come back to the comfortable centre where it belongs in Canada (to clarify, social democracy is the centre IMHO).

Peter MacKay's commentary has started a round of "Albertastan" jokes on social media.

"In Albertastan, gas fracks you!"

Heck, Ralph Klein once referred to NDP supporters as Communists, so nothing new here. Which reminds me, I do believe this would be an appropriate time to break out that perfectly lovely hand-pained hammer and sickle flag Wodders so kindly sent me a couple of years ago. . . .

I need this.

Mulcair has promised to implement PR if the NDP win the next federal election.

That's Fair Vote Canada doing their Entryist thing; they're annoying. Their President was in my former Riding Association. Did I mention they were annoying?

That annoying person you mention is a friend of mine; he is not in the least annoying.

[Roll Eyes]

Your experience is very different than mine, then.

quote:
Originally posted by Caissa:
Mulcair has promised to implement PR if the NDP win the next federal election.

As did the PQ in 1976, and the NDP in 1990. I wish that they had, but parties in power seem to have their attention distracted and sense of purpose weakened when this question comes up. For those interested in this most obscure topic, the Québec green paper is one of the best documents written for the Canadian context.

As far as Alberta goes, I won a bottle of Lagavulin 16-year old from an acquaintance who had fiercely (and with borderline offensiveness) predicted the triumph of the Wild Rose. I said it was more likely that the NDP would come in and would give him a bottle of the nectar should Wild Rose win-- he reciprocated the wager. I had my first sip last night but will have to give him a drink, as I had every expectation that the Conservatives would have come in, although much weakened in urban areas. Even though my prediction was wrong, I feel very much like a winner.

At my local this morning, a Zoroastrian friend wickedly noted that there must be dozens of Conservative assistants now wondering how to fill out the UI forms.

Only in Canada eh.

21° shirt sleeves and sun yesterday. -3 this morning with a terrific wind and snow.

Same here - frost warning tonight after 23 degrees yesterday. Wind is very brr this morning but we still went biking. There are buds on the branches so there will be leaves.

I confess I don't understand the mad rush to campgrounds on the Victoria Day weekend: it's a very rare year that it doesn't rain/snow/sleet/freeze. There was a frost warming overnight, which I suppose would not be so bad if half the counties in Alberta weren't under a fire ban, so no chance of warming chilly appendages by a roaring campfire.

(And no, I don't call RVing camping; if you don't have to put on footwear to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, you. ain't. camping.)

It's cool-ish here (after a lovely day yesterday) - we've apparently got icebergs out in the bay, which always makes it feel a few degrees colder. However, when D. and I went up Signal Hill for a look at lunchtime, the fog had come in and we couldn't even see the bay, let alone the icebergs ...

Gotta love Newfoundland. [Big Grin]

Last night, I was at a local grenola emporium where a jazz singer was playing in the garden, and then the fireworks began. After a moment's interruption (as they were really very good), the singer and her two musicians improvised to the fireworks for the next half hour. The spirit of Handel lives!

Speaking of jazz, I am currently listening to the new Brad Mehldau album. Victoria was gorgeous in Saint John. We celebrated it, and our 19th wedding anniversary, by going on a 7 kilometere walk.

Victoria Day 2015: Took a 4 km walk on the boardwalk with half the population and the cycling leg of a triathlon in the morning and a 10 km bike ride in the evening. Lots of snow still in the ditches and on the trail. A stop for ice cream in the evening went down well. The pup ran at least twice what I did. It was a great to have several days in a row with sunshine, light winds, and no bugs!

So many things in this country to tear your hair out over right now.

And then the wild strawberries come out in the hydro field behind our place and all is better.

Wild strawberries? Consider yourself lucky. I have rhubarb that is all of 3 inches high. Lilacs are almost open though.

Dean Del Mastro, the disgraced former Peterborough MP, will be going to jail. He was sentenced to one month in jail, four months of house arrest, 18 months probation and has to pay $10,00 to the Peterborough Conservative Riding Association in improper expense claims.

Yeah, that sounds about right. [Two face]

The video of him being led away in shackles will hopefully get all over Facebook in September.

A Canadian friend of mine suggested that a sentence of 20 years and a ban from participating in public life for life might have been better.

quote:
A Canadian friend of mine suggested that a sentence of 20 years and a ban from participating in public life for life might have been better.

He may not run for public office for five years and, IIRC, his election agent got the same. These are good sentences and one hopes will send shivers among the appropriate crowd.

Possibly once five years have elapsed either (a) people will have forgotten about him; (b) his party won't want him as a candidate because he's a bit dodgy; or (c) even if they forgive him, people won't want to vote for him (because he's a bit dodgy).

As one of Del Mastro's victims (I voted in the Riding of Peterborough in 2008) yes, yes they were good sentences. I had given a thought to doing down to the Provincial Court House to attend the sentencing, but I was on vacation and didn't know what day it was to be.

I have a friend who was Del Mastro's assistant for years and has political aspirations of his own; he bailed a while back and I am happy he did so.

As a five-time election staffer, I am very satisfied that justice has been done.

Happy Canada Day, compatriots! Hope your relaxations and celebrations are good for body and soul.

Mine will be marked by a few efforts at home organization, a little gardening, probably BBQ and a Rickard's Red. You?

Took the dog out for breakfast this morning. A 14 km round trip that included multiple stops for bouncing through swamps, swimming in the ocean, playing at the dog park and looking awfully cute in her bike trailer.

Do not understand how the city's setup crew can take away the trail by putting speakers on it - made for an interesting time trying to get by. Even had a bit of a set-to with the supervisor. Seems health and safety takes a holiday on Canada Day.

So my wife has a one-day conference in Charlottetown at the end of July, and we thought we'd turn it into a bit of a holiday. We're expecting to take a couple of extra days in Charlottetown, and to visit in and around Halifax for another 2-3 days. As we'll have to drive through NB both ways, we're open to taking a day or two somewhere in that province as well.

Have Shipmates any suggestions as to places to visit (NOT Anne of Green Gables, and a limit on the number of historical reconstructions, please)?

Thanks for any advice. (If you like to PM instead of replying on this thread, to avoid the tangent swamping it, feel free)

John

Hope everyone is having a good Canada Day! I should really have posted this just after midnight Newfoundland time, as we're the first to see the dawn, but I sort of didn't get round to it.

It was a beautiful day here: 19° and sunny but not sticky.

D. marked the occasion by playing music by or arranged by composers with Canadian connections at his weekly organ recital.

quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
Have Shipmates any suggestions as to places to visit ...
John

In New Brunswick, try the Rocks at Hopewell Cape - a bit more touristy than when I was younger, but I still like to visit. You have to schedule a visit at both high and low tides to get the real feel for it. You can find the tide times on-line here.

St. Stephen is a nice little town. I sort of liken it to Victoria, perhaps because I think of both as retirement-like places.

Whale watching, if it is in season. Perhaps off Grand Manan Island (ferry from Black's Harbour). You can book them on-line. We used these guys - unlimited fish chowder!

Hartland, N.B. has the longest covered bridge in the world - and is the home of former premier Richard Hatfield. A quick side trip off the highway.

Of course, you will have to find a lobster supper, or a few, somewhere. Often held in church halls, this is a must, right?

Have a great trip! these guys

quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
... Have Shipmates any suggestions as to places to visit (NOT Anne of Green Gables, and a limit on the number of historical reconstructions, please)?

You have something against our patron saint??? [Paranoid]

For an amazing park experience, check out the trail at Greenwich. It is part of the National Park but separated from all things touristy.

The lobster supper at New Glasgow is not to be missed. Skip lunch and arrive at 4 pm and expect to be in awe of the whole thing from start to finish. If you are picky eaters, go to Fisherman's Wharf in North Rustico instead. Apparently The Feast at the Inn at Bay Fortune is going to be quite a thing to do as well.

If you are up for a drive, head for North Cape to see where the Northumberland Strait and the Gulf waters meet. The restaurant in the centre there is very nice. The beach at West Point is lovely and offers the option of an overnight stay in the lighthouse.

Let me know if you have more Island adventures in mind.

@John Holding
Halifax area, may I recommend taking the ferry to Dartmouth and then walking to other terminal on the Darthmouth side (Woodside). Get a 'transfer' when you board, it is good for I think 90 mins. Long enough for the 1½ or so stroll on the Darthmouth side between ferry stations.

The Immigration Museum is worth the admission. They have a free evening one night a week maybe it's Thurs. They have guided tours from volunteers who came through the port of Halifax. It's near Pier 21. (I know one of the people in the video shown at the start.)

You can get deals on a pint and pound of mussels many places. I had this for $14 last week in Lunenberg. Halifax is more expensive.

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
@John Holding ...The Immigration Museum is worth the admission. They have a free evening one night a week maybe it's Thurs. They have guided tours from volunteers who came through the port of Halifax. It's near Pier 21. (I know one of the people in the video shown at the start.)...

Just to clarify, it is at Pier 21. And yes, a very worthwhile visit. http://www.pier21.ca/home I am not aware of there being a free evening.
The Maritime Museum of the Atlantic is very good as well. https://maritimemuseum.novascotia.ca/

I second the nomination of the Maritime Museum. The Titanic and Halifax Explosion exhibits are particularly well done and memorable.

11 weeks of election dross [Frown]

quote:
11 weeks of election dross [Frown]

[Mad] We're getting more and more like the Excited States everyday! 37 day election campaigns were so wonderful. Even in the old days, we never had more than 6 weeks!

Having worked elections, I do not think that more than 28 days is needed, providing for two canvasses-- after that, it is only useful for those selling advertising space.

I find that the election news is not as painful when it is in French and only half-comprehended. The telephone canvassing has begun in Ottawa Centre....

Eh? Chez NPD, two canvasses isn't even trying. Riverdale, you know.

For time out of mind, in Ottawa Centre the tradition is two canvasses by the NDP and the Liberals, and one by the Conservatives. One year I got the Greens and the CPC-ML do a leaflet drop. I've already had Conservative and Liberal telephone canvasses, but I am not counting them, as the writ has not yet been dropped.

Meh. Canvasses are done by volunteers, so the costs are negligible either way.

On telephone. Doorbell rings. I go to door. With riding changes it's stupid man who replaces last stupid man. He tries to hand me his pamphlet. I take it and hand it back and point to recycling bin. This is my best interaction with a politician from That Party ever. With riding changes, we are not electing animals from that party in my riding, I hope.

Mulcair is coming to Peterborough tomorrow. Which means Federal Office thinks this riding is in play.

And tonight, it's The Beard vs. The Hair vs. Darth Harper. My money's on the Ours d'Outremont. [Devil]

Grudge Match! Grudge Match!

Gilles Duceppe has filed his papers to run in his old riding, Laurier--Ste.-Marie against Helene Laverdiere of the NPD.

[Devil]

This is going to be good.

I was walking through Laurier-Sainte Marie on Friday afternoon, and it was well-papered with Laverdière posters and a decent sprinkling of Christine Poirier posters (the Liberal candidate). My three friends in the riding tell me that there have been no canvasses and one was not aware of the MP's name (not a surprise in a downtown area). Once upon a time it would have been a Bloc walkover, but times have changed....

I had my lunch (Le Dépanneur on Bernard, with jazz chanteuse Renée Yoxon on the keys) & dinner in Outremont (Boca Iberica, on Rachel), where there was creditable sign battle between Mr Mulcair and Rachel Bendayan, although I think that the race is as good as settled there.

Ottawa Centre is only lightly signed so far, as the first canvass is only now happening. The NDP have visited me and, Ottawa beint small, I knew one of the canvassers from my former employment. Mr Dewar (NDP) was cheerful and energetic at today's Pride (madras shirt, walking shorts and birkenstocks) parade, and Liberal Catherine McKenna (red dress and open-toe white pumps) in a three-legged race with sitting MLA Yasir Naqvi (casual khaki trousers, and open-necked dress shirt). They were all well-received by the crowd and the Tory Pride contingent got a bit of polite applause-- one of them told me afterward when I met her in the louche confines of Bridgehead Coffee that they had expected a hostile reception-- things are a bit chilly at the doorstep. Canadians are polite, I suggested, and she told me that she thanked God for that.

I have a friend in the riding next door who is running for the NDP, and his sign campaign is well underway. Being a rural riding with four towns and five villages, canvassing has always been challenging there.

Peterborough, or as it is now Peterborough--Kawartha* is interesting though nobody has signs up yet in the city. Mulcair visted here two weeks ago, which means that the central campaign thinks the riding is in play.

The Tories have opened their campaign office on the other corner of the intersection across from my place of work. I keep wanting to ask them if they plan to win this time, without cheating. [Two face]

Somewhat fittingly, their campaign office is only a block away from the Provincial Court House where Del Mastro has his famous cuffed walk in to the paddy wagon. Most convenient, eh? [Snigger]

*Peterborough had its first major redistribution since the 1960's this round which hived off two townships and gave them to Northumberland.

Other than writing a cheque for the local NDP candidate, I am finding it difficult to develop any enthusiasm this early in the campaign.

I have no patience with the bullshit that is flying at me from all the parties. None of which I can find it in my heart to support, but I WILL vote, Anyone but Harper or his local minion.

I was on the telephone when the local Conservative incumbent came to the door thus answeres with shoe to ear. I recognized him immediately and without a word between us and apoarently no conscious thought on mine, I instinctively pointed to the recycling bin when he tried to hand me his handbill. I almost felt sorry for him when I noticed his startled response. Maybe he'll have thought I thought him a Jehovah Witness. I told the dog about it and she approved of what I had done.

As we still haven't reached the giddying heights of citizenship, we can't vote, so we have an easy reply if we get canvassed.

At least that way we can abstain with a clear conscience; when I had a vote, I always felt that it was my duty to exercise it, even if I thought that all the candidates were plonkers*.

* I lived in Northern Ireland for 15 years; I know a plonker when I see one ... [Snigger]

Yes - it's strange to be unable to vote, after a lifetime of voting even when I knew my vote would have no effect whatsoever on the result (I've usually lived in deeply Conservative constituencies, apart from time spent in a deeply Labour town in t'North).

If I DID have a vote, it would be going to either Greens or NDP. Harper is a complete t**t. Trudeau just annoys me for some reason.

Since coming to Canada, I have found that the word "awesome" is used constantly. My sermon was "Awesome!" The hymns on Sunday were "Awesome!" My choice of meal at the restaurant was declared by our waitress to be "Awesome!"

I've tried to use the word myself, albeit in an ironic, British way. But recently I have found the word popping out of my lips quite unexpectedly. Is this normal? Is my condition terminal? Help!

In times past, Commonwealth citizens could vote in Canadian elections after some period of residency, something like 3 or 6 months I think. I'm not sure when it changed.

The "awesome" thing is relatively new. I compare it to "brilliant" which has had excessive shining bright use in the UK to my ears. But the current one that gets me is "no problem", which is said as a replacement for "you're welcome", most recently heard when I asked for a replacement fork at a restaurant. I should certainly hope there's no problem in giving me a weapon to eat with!

quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
Since coming to Canada, I have found that the word "awesome" is used constantly. My sermon was "Awesome!" The hymns on Sunday were "Awesome!" My choice of meal at the restaurant was declared by our waitress to be "Awesome!"

I've tried to use the word myself, albeit in an ironic, British way. But recently I have found the word popping out of my lips quite unexpectedly. Is this normal? Is my condition terminal? Help!

It was reported that the citizens of Shorncliffe, Kent developed numerous Canadian linguistic traits as that was the main transit barracks for the CEF in WWI. Locals replied with "sure" instead of "yes", and even formed a baseball league.

So you seem quite normal. By Canadian standards, anyway. [Razz]

quote:
In times past, Commonwealth citizens could vote ... I'm not sure when it changed.

Probably about a month before we moved here; they always seem to move the bureaucratic goal-posts just as we're getting close, so I don't see why the voting rules should be any different ... [Paranoid]

I don't think I've picked up the word "awesome" in speech yet (I hope not anyway), although I've occasionally used it (in an ironic, British way of course) on Facebook. [Big Grin]

The right of Commonwealth citizens to vote in Canadian elections was removed in the seventies, I think. A good friend and his wife (English/Scottish- when did mixed marriages become legal?) voted quite happily for several years without taking citizenship. But once the boys were born, and just after the Feds stopped (I think Ontario went on a few more years) they took citizenship since they were unlikely to ever remove to the UK again.

The kids grew up speaking English and Scawts and when they went to school, broad Trawna English mingled with Italian phraseology, much to the horror of their parents.

Posted by Moo (# 107) on :

quote:
But the current one that gets me is "no problem", which is said as a replacement for "you're welcome", most recently heard when I asked for a replacement fork at a restaurant. I should certainly hope there's no problem in giving me a weapon to eat with!

At least they didn't say, "no sweat".

Moo

I say no problem and I'm 51 last Sunday.

But then I have a man bag with strap from the Army surplus store.

quote:
... English/Scottish- when did mixed marriages become legal?

1603, with the Union of the Crowns? [Killing me]

I can heartily recommend that sort of mixed marriage! [Smile]

quote:
The kids grew up speaking English and Scawts and when they went to school, broad Trawna English mingled with Italian phraseology, much to the horror of their parents.

We're told on the prairies that Scottishisms are the origin for many words and usages. These come to mind: shinny, slough, bluff, bannock, gotch, ach aye, neeps. How is it that Ukrainians like bagpipes so much and there's so many Scots down behind the Perogy Curtain?

The Scots (think of the fur trade) and the Scots Metis were there before the Ukes... and you'd like bagpipe music too, if you had to grow up listening to it without any choice.

Aside: My friends would open the windows of their house at midnight on New Year's Eve and blast the mostly Italian neighbourhood with a record of massed bagpipe bands played at top volume. [Killing me] while Granny brought out a bottle of her best single malt (If she were visiting)

I refer shipmates to CBC Ideas recent broadcast Lord Selkirk's Manitoba settlement for some innocent diversion on this topic.

Gagged... This confounded general election is creating social problems. My good neighbour, good friend and fellow presbyterian now has a lawn sign favouring a witless Conservative candidate who is long past his 'best by' date. Normally, I could cope with this, and a little good natured ragging would do no harm. However, the good neighbour is also the surgeon who is due to do my routine colonoscopy in a few weeks... Unaccustomed silence and discretion are probably in order.

Wise words, ST - you really don't want to go round insulting a bloke who's going to do that ... [Eek!]

quote:
My good neighbour has a lawn sign favouring a witless Conservative candidate... the good neighbour is also the surgeon who is due to do my routine colonoscopy in a few weeks

Your neighbour has an affinity for assholes?

quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
quote:
My good neighbour has a lawn sign favouring a witless Conservative candidate... the good neighbour is also the surgeon who is due to do my routine colonoscopy in a few weeks

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

quote:
quote:

Ah... Thanks for that. If he ever gets wind of this conversation I'm going to have to tell him I'm just joking; I'm really a Tory. Then I'll be ostracised on the Ship.

Stercus Tory?

quote:
Stercus Tory?

Aaaarrrgghhh.....!!!!!

Oooopps! - Sorry!

[Hot and Hormonal]

[Two face]

My reaction would have been the same.

quote:
If he ever gets wind of this conversation ....

Colonoscopy, tory, wind.

The jokes on this tangent are endless!

quote:
quote:
quote:

Ah... Thanks for that. If he ever gets wind of this conversation I'm going to have to tell him I'm just joking; I'm really a Tory. Then I'll be ostracised on the Ship.
God loves all sinners. Not the sin, mind you, but the sinner....

Crikey - is being a Tory a sin?

That's my mother-in-law jiggered then ... [Help]

I can truthfully say I've never voted Tory, but then the places where I've had a vote didn't lend themselves to it.

When I lived in Orkney, everybody voted Liberal, and most were voting for the man rather than the party; and in Northern Ireland they have a whole different political set-up and while the "main" British parties exist, they never win any seats, and most people do "tactical voting", i.e. voting against the party they don't like rather than for the one they do.

It was often a case of picking the lesser of two bigoted plonkers ... [Devil]

Being a Tory isn't a sin, voting Tory is a sin.

Posted by Knopwood (# 11596) on :

I don't think the Tories have nominated any candidates yet, though no doubt Elvis Priestly will make his perennial run.

My grandmother, a transplanted Mancunian, calls herself a "Bill Davis Conservative" and reluctantly votes Liberal these days. I wasn't at all surprised to read in obits of Flora MacDonald that she was voting NDP in later life.

The Progressive Conservatives were entirely different than the neo-cons we have presently. They were more like the classically liberal UK conservatives, where they balanced things at least in ideology if they failed to do it in practice. The current Canadian Conservatives are careerist business and profit oriented people, not the same at all. The word "conservative" has described a range, with the current Canadian party much more extreme than anything in my lifetime. So I think grandma is likely safe, doing whatever grandmas do in heaven.

Indeed, the Liberals were historically the party of laissez-faire economic liberalism and free enterprise (esp. with the U.S.) now considered characteristic of the "Right," while the high Tories championed the Big Society, state intervention, and at least a certain measure of a welfare state in the noblesse oblige sense.

Our street's Conservative has her sign up. So far we have 12 for Paul Dewar (NDP, holds the seat by inheritance from his mother, the late mayor and leading figure of refugee settlement, and his own efforts), 5 for Catherine McKenna (Liberal), and one for the Conservative, whose name I have already forgotten. I expect a few more signs, as well as a Green or two, in the weeks ahead. The campaign has been going on for almost a month now, which is too hideously long for civilized people.

PS If there are some who might misread my reference to the hereditary right of the Dewars to Ottawa Centre as dismissive, I note that I have dealt with Paul Dewar on several occasions, and find him to be diligent, sensitive and intelligent. I have heard him speak of how he found that so many people welcomed him as his mother's son on his first campaign, he feared that her name might have been on the ballot through a clerical error.

Interestingly, the only candidates officially registered with Elections Canada in my riding so far are the incumbent New Democrat, the Bloquiste, and the candidates of the two electoral Communist parties (Communist and Marxist-Leninist).

Interestingly, the Bloc candidate ran here in last year's provincial election under the banner of Option nationale, which was founded by disaffected members of the Parti Québecois, normally seen as the BQ's natural provincial counterpart. The PQ incumbent held on to her seat but was apparently impressed enough with the fight he put up to suggest his name to the Bloc leader for the nomination.

The CONServative candidate has hit the ground running, probably because of advance notice of the writ being dropped. Many signs for it in Ottawa Vanier (unsure of gender). I've seen one sign for Mauril (aka Slow Mo), the Liberal, and none for the Dippers (who only got their candidate last week).

A young girl was canvassing for the CON candidate last Sunday. Told her to get lost. She would have had no luck with my small section of condos.

Breakfast this morning with three retired senior military types--- all voting NDP for the first time in their lives. Heavens.

There was a contested nomination in the next riding over (where I used to live), and one of the two candidates was a retired military man.

The NDP passed a very nice motion on Veterans Affairs at the last Federal Convention (to which I was a delegate) which would form the basis of a respectable mandate for the Department of Veterans Affairs under an NDP Government.

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

God loves all sinners. Not the sin, mind you, but the sinner....
The sin may soon be expunged. The neighbours' daughter is home for the long week-end and an NDP sign has appeared right beside the Conservative one.

In a casual conversation with the NDP candidate in a neighbouring riding yesterday, I learned that the NDP is most certainly going to form the government as a result of this election. You heard it here first!

In other news, that fella who just uses one name - Sting? Bono? Prince? wait, I know, Justin - is going to be here tomorrow. Since I missed hearing Stephen Lewis endorse the local NDP candidate yesterday, I'm thinking I should maybe go hear this guy.

Along that line, Tom Mulcair will be making a return visit to Peterborough. He made what was supposed to be a "whistle-stop" here after the first debate. They wanted 100 people out; they got 400.

A return visit means that Federal Office thinks this riding is in play. [Yipee]

And winnable. [Angel]

This riding is getting ready to do what it hasn't done since Walter Pitman in 1960 and return an NDP MP.

Then of course there is the old saying: "So goes Peterborough, so goes the country". [Big Grin]

The CBC has put out an interesting "...educational tool developed by political scientists designed to help you explore how you fit in Canada’s political landscape". No matter how on-the-edge left wing you think you are, if you say you have religious affiliations, then it appears to add a marked Conservative bias (this from an unscientific sample of two). I'd be curious to know how it works for others. Actually, I had to cheat a little, as I'm a foreigner and can't vote. It probably doesn't matter - back in another place, another century, my admiration for Jo Grimond ensured that I never voted for a winning candidate.

quote:
... my admiration for Jo Grimond ensured that I never voted for a winning candidate ...

... and the people of Orkney and Shetland never voted for a winning party. Like many in small, rural places, they voted for the man; the last time he stood for election (in 1979, just before I was old enough to vote) his slogan was "Vote for Jo, the man you know".

In other news, you really couldn't make it up.

And a little later there was the CON candidate who you tubed himself being a total twat. The CONs dumped him too.

Ah well,2 down, 336 to go!

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

Piglet, perhaps his excuse was the old line, "it seemed like a good idea at the time."

quote:
And a little later there was the CON candidate who you tubed himself being a total twat. The CONs dumped him too.

The nice thing about those two is that they were never serious candidates, running in hopeless races. Normally they would have attracted no attention during the campaign and would have been forgotten immediately afterwards, if not sooner. Now they've drawn massive press attention to their hapless party and will never be forgiven by it.

I think we've pretty much had our Phoney War time.

Now the real race begins.

BTW,

Happy New Year tomorrow! [Biased]

quote:
quote:

The nice thing about those two is that they were never serious candidates, running in hopeless races. Normally they would have attracted no attention during the campaign and would have been forgotten immediately afterwards, if not sooner. Now they've drawn massive press attention to their hapless party and will never be forgiven by it.
In case non-Canadian shipmates have a perverse sense of curiosity, some coverage can be found here.

Is anyone else disturbed by the fact that we haven't had a Canadian Election thread in Purg yet?

I have noticed, but we're really not that important, I'm sorry to say. But I will probably join in if I can't restrain myself.

SPeaking candidly, I believe a Canadian election thread would appropriately start in Hell, or end up there, given the strength of opinions I'm running into among voters. Especially those (the vast majority of those with whom I converse) who are not part of the Conservative core.

John

My only hope is that we get a minority government. I don't think I could take 4 years with any of the parties installing their complete election platform in a majority government.

For the first time ever, I am going to have to mark my vote with my other hand pinching my nose.

You and me both, brother. I sure as shooting don't want to split the opposition vote and have those nitwits think they have support after slithering up the middle.

I post on this thread rather than the Purgatory thread on account of the flippancy of this initiative.

I woke up to hear a clip from the recent one-on-one interviews with the CBC. I was sure it had to be Harper speaking, just by the tone of voice and the fact that he was in "telling" mode. In actual fact, it was Mulcair saying basically, that until they could abolish the the Senate, they would pass whatever he told them to.

I've always leaned toward the NDP side of things but that brief interview as enough to send me scurrying away.

quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
...it was Mulcair saying basically, that until they could abolish the the Senate, they would pass whatever he told them to.

If he were so lucky to form the government, why would he think the senate, who he openly despises, do his bidding?

Good luck with that.

The Senate only has a suspensive veto, if I remember correctly.

No Caissa -- if the Senate rejects a bill, it's dead -- one of the many ways in which the Senate's powers replicate those of the House of Lords before the 1867 reform acts.

For me, Mulcair's attitude to the Senate is one of the negatives. He can't abolish it, as he wants (fair enough if that's what you think). And senators will just rubberstamp. That's actually fair enough, assuming he has a majority -- that's the way it has always worked. Now, given the quality of the Senators appointed by Harper, who (based on interviews I've heard about) don't have a clue about the Senate's powers or role, it may be disputable that it would actually happen. But still, that's the way it should work (for at least a year, and on issues in the election platform).

What gets my goat is that neither he (nor Harper) seem to realize that there will come a point (15 sitting senators -- the quorum) at which they must either recommend appointments or deal with the constitutional impossibility of passing any legislation at all. Without the Senate's approval, the GG can't give Royal Assent. Without a quorum, the Senate can't sit.

John

I had the occasion a fortnight ago to take lunch with one of my Connected Contacts, and made the same point as did John Holding. While she said that the Senate would be obliged to ratify what an NDP majority in the House voted, I reminded her that she was assuming that they would operate on a rational and knowledgeable basis and, given some of Mr Harper's appointees, one could not guarantee this. I gave her the names of two mutual acquaintances in the upper house and she lay her head on the table and heaved great sighs of desperation, causing bemusement to our waitress.

And, in any case, a handy actuarial table would show that it would take a few years for the Senate's membership to decline to a crisis point and, in the interim, another party is likely to have its turn and enjoy the 60 or so vacancies presented to it.

The Harper Possum approach, even if adopted by a friendly bearded social democrat, is not a functional one. While Mr Harper's senatorial appointments might heed his hints on what legislation to deal with first, and to which committee, a ministry which didn't even have a Senate Leader or a house manager of any sort, would find it challenging to direct the paper flow (note, as well that the Australian constitutional crisis of 1975 had as its occasion that the Senate did not deal with the budget-- in the Canadian Senate, the Government Leader determines what votes must be dealt with-- John Holding, who knows more of such things, might be in a position to correct me).

In any case, the NDP paid for my lunch, so I can't complain. Off to the Yukon tonight, to enjoy a few days without election coverage in the forests.

It's the NDP we are talking about here. The CCF declared itself solidly for the abolition of the Senate in 1933 in the Regina Manifesto and that position has not changed.

The Conservatives are Johnny-come-latelies to this policy scene.

As the Senate's veto, if they block supply to an NDP government, they would set off the battle royale of Canadian politics. The House of Commons would not allow any money to be spent until the Senate backs down, and the provinces would fall into line when their transfer payments are duly cut off.

Except with 50 vacancies and Section 24 of the Constitution Act, there is no need to go that far as the Sentate cannot effectively block anything. 50 NDP riding activists aged 70 more could quickly be found if the need arises.

It always astonishes me how we have our hands tied by people long dead. I expect some interesting debate if (when?) there's another trial. Wadena, Saskatchewan still has a street named for Pamela Wallin. I saw it last summer. They have removed the sign that told drivers-by that it was where she hailed from. The other communities along the route east on highway #5 from Saskatoon have giant things, including a pig, goose, Santa Claus and Ukrainian girl. Perhaps Wadena could get a statue if Pamela is on the outs.

quote:
It's the NDP we are talking about here. The CCF declared itself solidly for the abolition of the Senate in 1933 in the Regina Manifesto and that position has not changed.

The Conservatives are Johnny-come-latelies to this policy scene.

As the Senate's veto, if they block supply to an NDP government, they would set off the battle royale of Canadian politics. The House of Commons would not allow any money to be spent until the Senate backs down, and the provinces would fall into line when their transfer payments are duly cut off.

Except with 50 vacancies and Section 24 of the Constitution Act, there is no need to go that far as the Sentate cannot effectively block anything. 50 NDP riding activists aged 70 more could quickly be found if the need arises.

That would go over very well. [Roll Eyes]

The Senate can do a decent job of looking at legislation and making it better.

Abolishing it is a non starter.

Not putting in anybody is an approgation of responsibility.

The thing is there.

Grow up and deal with it.

Stop your whining and govern.

This post aimed at the NDP and the Tories, not SPK.

[ 13. September 2015, 14:19: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

Oh and I've started a Canadian election hell thread.

Cause this all is starting to piss me off.

Summer is taking a curtain call! YAY!

Today, 28 feels like 34 Sunny
Thursday,28 Feels like 32 Sunny
Friday, 28 Feels like 33 Sunny

Back from my Gilwell Reunion - and do you know what? Didn't think of Harpic at all, except I just now noticed that in a month it will be all over. Laus Deo!

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

How long is a campaign? Or is it a question of how long is a piece of string!

I find three weeks down here to be too long by about two weeks.

As for months and months,it would turn me off anything to do with elections for life, I think.

For the last 30 years or so, it has been 37 days. But these days, the Politburo that is our government, having determined in his first term to have a fixed election date, promptly broke his own rule in the elections of 2008 and 2011 and held them in the old fashioned way. This time we are back to the fixed 4 year term finishing at the proper time, but the Government had the writs dropped at the beginning of August which meant that election funding kicked in right away. Smart eh? Anyway, the campaign should have actually begun just after Labour Day. All the new election laws have loophole you could drive a truck through.

Election update from the centre of St. John's:

My across-the-street neighbour who smokes a joint on his front porch every morning and evening, letting the odour linger over the whole block, now has his Green Party sign up on the lawn.

I'm still waiting for my NDP sign. The Liberals are running a "celebrity candidate" against the NDP incumbent, while the Conservatives hadn't even bothered to put anyone up in our riding till the last couple of days. They've got a name up there now at least, although it could be a made-up name for all the recognition it carries. They know this one's a lost cause for them.

My sister, who lives in Winnipeg, says her friends in Alberta, almost all of them conservatives since the Flood, are burning and tearing up their Conservative Party memberships in disgust at the record of the current prime minister.

This is not likely a representative sample on its own, but would validate what the polls seem to be reporting in the cities of Alberta.

One can only hope.

John

I have been changing our guest wifi network on a weekly basis among things like: Just say no to bad Stephen, Harpoon Harper, Not Stephen Harper's wifi. When I figure out definitively who to vote for so the conservative animal doesn't get back in, I will change to something else. Suggestions are welcome.

A quick northern and western trip provides the followingn information on signs.

Yukon report-- perhaps equally between NDP (Melissa Atkinson of the Tr'ondëk Hwëch'in and a former Human Rights Commssioner) and Liberal Larry Begnall (former MP who had been defeated by the long gun registry), and somewhat behind by sitting Tory MP Larry Cleef, best known perhaps for his carrying handcuffs for citizen arrests of young women mutilating his signs.

On Saltspring, sitting MP Elizabeth May of the Green Party over NDP candidate Alicia Cormier, with Liberal Robert Boyd running poor third, and no signs visible for Conservative Tim Kane.

Vancouver West split between longtime MP Joyce Murray (Lib) and Scott Andrews (NDP)-- there appears to have been drift from her to Mr Andrews on account of Justin Trudeau's support for C-51. No signs for anyone else.

In the last day or five with the niqab and old stock Canadian controversy, CBC's The Current seems to have better aim about what it means to be Canadian than the multi-party demi-educated lumpen intelligensia who want to run the country: No Canoe, No Canada, within which is the lovely link: the crafty art and historical origins of canoodling.

The canoe, the shag wagon of the waterways.

quote:
In the last day or five with the niqab and old stock Canadian controversy, CBC's The Current seems to have better aim about what it means to be Canadian than the multi-party demi-educated lumpen intelligensia who want to run the country: No Canoe, No Canada, within which is the lovely link: the crafty art and historical origins of canoodling.

The canoe, the shag wagon of the waterways.

Very true: a serious academic of my acquaintance (OC & FRSC!!) confessed to a table after a glass or two of BC's finest merlot that her virtue had disappeared in a canoe during her 15th year. Much merriment to all and extraordinarily deep blushes to the 15-year-old at the table.

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
... her virtue had disappeared in a canoe ...

I do hope she found it ... [Snigger]

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

You remind me of the logic in a Shakespeare sonnet where the poet argues that there's no harm losing your virtue (to him), as you will simply find it again (in the innocent baby you get pregnant with). [Devil]

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
... her virtue had disappeared in a canoe ...

I do hope she found it ... [Snigger]
There have been four children since, so I leave you to draw your own conclusions.

I love Fall. Wish it would show up.

So do I. It's beginning to appear here*, but we don't seem to be quite finished with summer yet (it did get off to a very late start).

* i.e. the temperature is in the lovely low/mid teens. [Devil]

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I was just thinking that very thought, No Prophet.

Hoping everyone has a jolly weekend (and go easy on the turkey). [Smile]

We're having a few friends round on Monday evening (Sunday entertaining isn't really feasible when you have to sing a service at 11 and another at 6:30).

We're doing roast lamb for two reasons: (a) our oven isn't big enough to accommodate a turkey; and (b) we don't particularly like turkey.

somewhat unconventional piglet

**bump**

To those of you who will have a vote today, use it wisely.

[Smile]

It appears that we will have a Liberal minority government. Mulcair has some answering to the party membership for blowing his lead in the polls. He didn't get my vote for leader.

It's raining today. Is the sky crying for the country?

We appear to have got a new prime minister. For those of you who are disappointed, it was nothing to do with me as I haven't got a vote. For those of you who aren't disappointed, I can't take any of the credit. [Big Grin]

I suspect that if I did have a vote, I'd possibly go back to my roots and vote Liberal; I wish Mr. Trudeau well and hope he makes a good job of it.

So tonight I come up for air from my seasonally heavy job.

Ya'll are going to hate me but for the sake of people working here, I wish it would snow.

I would note a month and 13 days later that it hasn't really snowed in Toronto much yet.

15 degrees overnight.

Plus 15? We have some snow on the praires and enough in the northern boreal forest for skiing, but no extra. -18 now, expect a warm -22 overnight. Hoarfrost everywhere around the lake.

It's currently -8° with a wind-chill at -14 here, but the forecast for Christmas Day is plus 8°. Sadly, it doesn't look as if that'll last long enough to get rid of the few inches of snow we got earlier this week.

27.8C here.

[Cool]

quote:
27.8C here.

[Cool]

Who asked you??

+16C in Lanark County yesterday. Sitting on the back deck drinking coffee. Today was still +2C. Weird!

Yesterday, my (Colombian) letter-carrier was wearing shorts--- it was too hot for long trousers, she assured me.

It was a glorious day here - reached +7° in the early afternoon - it really felt warm and spring-ish, and the snow's gone from the roads and sidewalks, even if the ploughed-up heaps are still there.

Back down to 1° now though, and forecast to plummet further next week. [Frown]

First winter storm of the year for southern Ontario is due to hit today, first in Windsor then continuing through Ottawa. In Ottawa, we are expecting about a foot of snow starting tonight.

It arrived with a BOOM, wind chill (there's lot of wind) is -24, possibly more. Not sure whether it is snowing or blowing. I had to go out this am, and pickup was 1 hour late, return was 5 minutes early. Many cars were stuck in drifting snow and storekeepers and pedestrians were helping them get unstuck. At a curb, I was just dragged backward as if the curb were not there.

Ah well, no more coffee on the deck. Christmas Eve was +16c

We had a wind-chill of -24 this morning too (quite a rarity - it doesn't often get that cold here), but the snow which vanished overnight on Christmas Eve has mercifully not yet reappeared.

I can't say I'm holding my breath though ... [Eek!]

Posted by Tree Bee (# 4033) on :

My cousin in Duncan, BC experienced 3 earthquakes today. She was very alarmed! Are they unusual in those parts?

Rare-ish enough, but Duncan is very close to a major fault that's going to slip sometime in the next 50-100 years with major impacts. Every little quake is good news, because it releases a bit of the built-up tension and means the eventual big one will be ever so slightly less than it might have been.

(How major? Think at least as big as the expected quake at the St. Andreas fault in California, again expected in the next 50-100 years, which could rearrange a good bit of California.)

John

quote:
We had a wind-chill of -24 this morning too (quite a rarity - it doesn't often get that cold here), but the snow which vanished overnight on Christmas Eve has mercifully not yet reappeared.

I can't say I'm holding my breath though ... [Eek!]

We've the opposite sentiment. And we have thankfully had some more snow. Fabulous hoarfrost has repeated. Snowy downs followed by ups on the trails. -- we heard it reached above freezing in the arctic, including at the north pole. Oh dear, [Hot and Hormonal]

© Ship of Fools 2016