Thread: helping refugees Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=029363

Posted by quetzalcoatl (# 16740) on :

If you want to help refugees, there are a ton of local groups active (UK), and plenty of places to donate food, money, clothing, accommodation, including marine rescue organizations, and of course, Red Cross, etc.

I have found the Rob Ford fb page useful.
[link removed - please see Host post below - Piglet, AS host]

There are demonstrations in many towns, there are knitting groups, people sending baby-carriers to Kos, people taking stuff to Calais, petitions being signed, new groups all the time.

Don't mourn, organize.

[ 04. September 2015, 00:43: Message edited by: Piglet ]

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

This is more of an All Saints topic so I'm moving your thread there.

Cheers

Ariel
Heaven Host

Posted by Jengie jon (# 273) on :

A listing from the Guardian and another from the Independent. Personally I was going to say
[link to petition removed - see Host post below - Piglet, AS host]
as it might get a debate in parliament but it already has.

Jengie

[ 04. September 2015, 00:45: Message edited by: Piglet ]

This is a slow long brew, I started something to try and help the perception of refugees about eighteen months ago. I got fed up when a friend posted something and decided to try and do something about the perception of refugees in the media. This involved basically making a commitment to find and post regularly positive stories about refugees on social media.

I managed it for a few months but ran out of energy in the turmoil of finishing a PhD. If others want to know more about that I am willing to discuss revitaliizing it.

Jengie

Posted by Ariel (# 58) on :

From time to time we have a charity appeal at the office with boxes where people can drop off non-perishable food items, toiletries, etc to be delivered to a local charity that helps newly arrived refugees. We've usually done this around Christmas (there are other competing appeals for a local foodbank and a homeless charity) but I've suggested we might consider starting another appeal now.

It's about donating practical items rather than money, and might be a useful idea for other office workers to consider if so minded. Local charities often have a list on their website of what items they most need at the moment.

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

Gentle Hostly Oink
May I remind shipmates that links to petitions should be put in your signature line, rather than in the body of your posts.

Quetzalcoatl and Jengie, I've removed the petition links; perhaps you'd add them to your signature lines instead.

Thank you.

Piglet, AS host

Posted by Huia (# 3473) on :

The NZ Prime Minister has refused to consider upping the quota for refugees (which is currently a measley 750 plus family)as there will be a review taking place next year. I am going to investigate the programme of helping by spending time speaking English to new settlers and refugees. (I think these are run by voluntary groups).

Amnesty groups here are also petitioning so I will look into that as well.

Huia

Posted by Augustine the Aleut (# 1472) on :

1- write cheques, 2- write to your MP to say that you support an increased settlement intake and are happy to see taxes increase in the short run to support this, 3-write cheques, 4- if your country has a private/NGO sponsorship plan, get involved, 5-write cheques, 6- see if there is a local volunteer effort to settle a family or individual refugees and remember that participation in this is a serious and longterm commitment, 7-write cheques. If (1), (3), (5), and (7) are not possible, donate time if you can.

Posted by sabine (# 3861) on :

I have been a refugee advocate (professionally and as a volunteer) for many years.

I would encourage people to learn as much as possible from refugee organizations before deciding which action might be best for their own effort and which group to donate time, talent, or money/goods.

I'm thinking of information that can be gleaned from The UN High Commissioner for Refugees [link removed - see below - Piglet, AS Host] or The International Rescue Committee [link removed - see below] among several others.

Some organizations work in countries receiving refugees and some are on the ground in places where the refugees come ashore, live in camps, and otherwise have not been resettled. Some work in actual conflict zones to help displaced people who do not leave to become refugees but no longer have homes.

Each wave of refugees brings new issues to our attention, and each wave of refugees will have different issues.

I am grateful for this thread and for the suggestions that have been previously made on it about involvement. I am also grateful for those who go forward as led.

sabine

[ 09. September 2015, 02:53: Message edited by: Piglet ]

The NZ Prime Minister has changed his mind - I think he was reminded that his mother had been a refugee. I probably shouldn't be so cynical, I don't like the man but at least he made a small move in the right direction. Anyway I think it's something like 600 more spread over 2 years (in addition to money going overseas to help people now).

The first intake to arrive here won't be until early next year so I am going to continue donating money to Nepal for the ongoing rebuild and see if I can donate time or goods when we have refugees on the ground here.

I find it challenging when I have committed myself to donating what I can to Nepal and various charities closer to home - and something else comes up - as it always does.

Actually I think my last question belongs more in Purg than here.

Huia

Posted by Lothlorien (# 4927) on :

That's a question which I have been pondering, Huia. Why not try a thread in Purg.. I donate regularly to several charities, all deserving of support.

I try to have a reserve for extras, but prioritising donations is difficult, especially on a small income. I deliberately chose to purchase here rather than elsewhere which was more expensive. I wanted to be able to help others and my decision has proved worthwhile. However I could use much more.

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

Gentle Hostly Oink

As mentioned above, please put links to sites requesting donations in your signature line, rather than in the body of the post.

Sabine, I've removed the links from your post - perhaps you'd put them in your signature line instead.

Thank you.

Piglet, AS Host

This maybe behind a paywall (I hope not and I did not pay) but an article by someone who has openned their home to refugees.

Jengie

[ 09. September 2015, 07:41: Message edited by: Jengie jon ]

quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
Gentle Hostly Oink

As mentioned above, please put links to sites requesting donations in your signature line, rather than in the body of the post.

Sabine, I've removed the links from your post - perhaps you'd put them in your signature line instead.

Thank you.

Piglet, AS Host

They were meant as informational links, but I can understand how they might have been confused with donation links.

sabine

My post referencing thevUNHCR and the IRC was intended to indicate that it's a good idea to do as much research on the issue as possible before deciding where your effort can do the most good.

I lusted two organizations that can help in this regard.

So glad go know that folks want to help.

[ 09. September 2015, 14:08: Message edited by: sabine ]

Well phooey! I can see from only one eye and I was trying to post/edit on a mall phone.

Really didn't mean to "lust" anything. [Hot and Hormonal]

It seems from yesterday's paper that Christchurch may not get any refugee families. Apparently some of those who are already here are living in very cramped conditions due to the housing shortage we have here since the earthquakes. Also, despite unemployment here being at an all time low it is a particular problem for these people*

The mayor is saying we should be able to manage but both the Red Cross and The Migrant Resettlement Agency are saying that the timing isn't good.

*Although pre-quakes Christchurch had a good track record of caring for vulnerable people, I am ashamed to admit that there is a core of racism that may be behind their unemployment.

Jengie, I read the article you linked about people opening their homes. You get access to 5 free articles per month, more if you register.

Huia

Thanks, I got told I got to it because I was referred by Facebook and it seemed another stage of corporations stitching up the web to suit them.

Jengie

Posted by no prophet's flag is set so... (# 15560) on :

One of my kids will go to Budapest tomorrow. Somewhat nervous about it am I.

Posted by Belle Ringer (# 13379) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
This maybe behind a paywall (I hope not and I did not pay) but an article by someone who has openned their home to refugees.

Jengie

Not paywall. Just the common these days limit of 5 articles per month if you don't subscribe.

It's a warm article but she doesn't really warn how much work is involved in taking in someone in crisis, or someone unfamiliar with your culture and language.

When I impulsively took in a newly homeless middle class woman several years ago, I had no idea how much work I was getting into. Helping her find out what aid is available (for example neither of us knew where do you go to apply for food stamps, or that there are free cell phones for low income people), driving her to various aid places (no bus system here), letting her talk (people in crisis often need to).

I finally understood why when I offered to take someone in the Mariel boatlift 1980 I was told "no, it takes a church or work group to help one family, you can't do it alone".

Absolutely wonderful if you can. Be sure you have support from experienced people, preferably an organization. Worth the work, but lots of work. My career years, I couldn't have done it.

[ 13. September 2015, 01:43: Message edited by: Belle Ringer ]

Posted by Arethosemyfeet (# 17047) on :

Anyone know a good source of help and advice for local groups wanting to encourage the placement of refugees in their community and provide accommodation and support for them? It's something we might be able to do here but obviously it's a huge and complex task and we don't want to go off half cocked.

ARethosemyfeet

The group Postive Action in Housing runs a house a refugee scheme and has done for years. They are based in Scotland.

I have not linked to their front page deliberately.

Jengie

Posted by Curiosity killed ... (# 11770) on :

There are various campaigns (if you want links pm me). 38 Degrees is running a campaign to put pressure on MPs and local councils and they are working with Citizens UK and Avaaz to support Syrian refugees coming to the UK and raising money for a survival fund.

© Ship of Fools 2016