Thread: Hajj tragedy Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=029366

Posted by Badger Lady (# 13453) on :

Over 700 people have died and 800 are injured following a crush outside Mecca during the Hajj pilgrimage.

My father and some other relatives are in Mecca performing Hajj. After some anxious hours this morning we made contact and, thanks be to God, they are all safe and well.

May all those who have died rest in eternal peace [Votive]

Prayers that that the physical and mental scars of those injured may heal [Votive]

Prayers for relatives all over the world waiting for news. [Votive]

Posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom (# 3434) on :

[Votive]

Posted by Piglet (# 11803) on :

[Votive] for those who were injured, those who died and those who mourn.

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

Amen to that.

[Votive]

Posted by Lamb Chopped (# 5528) on :

[Votive]

Posted by Kelly Alves (# 2522) on :

Oh, no. [Votive]

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

[Votive]

Posted by Japes (# 5358) on :

[Votive]

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

[Votive]

And may they find a workable way to keep it from happening again. (It's happened before.) Not meant as a criticism.

Posted by North East Quine (# 13049) on :

[Votive]

Posted by Erroneous Monk (# 10858) on :

I don't know how to thank God for preserving my youngest uncle and aunt, who are on Hajj, without wondering why He didn't protect all the others. [Frown]

May their souls and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.

[Votive]

Posted by Doublethink. (# 1984) on :

[Votive]

Posted by Tukai (# 12960) on :

Since being crushed or trampled to death seems to be an "every year" hazard of the Hajj, one hopes that Muslim theology reckons that if you suffer this fate you go directly to paradise.

Posted by Badger Lady (# 13453) on :

This is in fact the first major crush since 2006 (and the worst for 25 years). After 2006 measures were taken to improve safety in particular around the jamarrat bridge (site where pilgrims thrice 'stone' the devil to commemorate Abraham resisting the devil when he was ordered by God to sacrifice his son).

It is commonly believed that is you die on Hajj you are in a state of purity and will go to heaven.

I do pray that the Saudis, as the custodians of Mecca, learn from this and do everything they can to keep pilgrims safe.
[Votive]

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

I have read somewhere else that some routes had been closed to allow VIPs access.

I thought one of the facets of the Hajj was the elimination of social distinctions.

Posted by Brenda Clough (# 18061) on :

Alas, one of the first excuses offered was that black Muslims were responsible: Not Nigerians.

quote:
Originally posted by Badger Lady:
This is in fact the first major crush since 2006 (and the worst for 25 years). After 2006 measures were taken to improve safety in particular around the jamarrat bridge (site where pilgrims thrice 'stone' the devil to commemorate Abraham resisting the devil when he was ordered by God to sacrifice his son).

It is commonly believed that is you die on Hajj you are in a state of purity and will go to heaven.

I do pray that the Saudis, as the custodians of Mecca, learn from this and do everything they can to keep pilgrims safe.
[Votive]

Something I read suggested that the Saudi government told the caretakers of Mecca to stop blaming the pilgrims for not following directions and start rethinking crowd flow design. Sounds like they are taking the matter seriously.

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

I have a dislike for crowds that borders on a phobia. Just thinking about what they have gone through makes me unwell. [Votive] for them and their families.

I know how you feel. Hajj sounds like a wonderful event to attend with a hang glider, but I would be having palpitations in the crowd around the Kaaba. What a terrifying way to die. [Votive]

[ 25. September 2015, 23:46: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

Posted by mousethief (# 953) on :

Didn't they have a crane failure earlier this year near the Qa'aba that killed some people? Sad doings. Lord have mercy. [Votive]

Yes. This is exactly why the Saudi Government is so anxious.

Posted by Penny S (# 14768) on :

There's software that can sort out crowd movements.

Posted by Rossweisse (# 2349) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Tukai:
Since being crushed or trampled to death seems to be an "every year" hazard of the Hajj, one hopes that Muslim theology reckons that if you suffer this fate you go directly to paradise.

I have seen the dead referred to by Muslims as "the martyrs," so those who love them should have that comfort.

It seems to me that the Saudi government could and should do more to improve conditions so as to avoid making any more of them, though.

Posted by Golden Key (# 1468) on :

A Saudi mufti/sheikh has a more fatalistic opinion.

Saudi Mufti: Hajj stampede beyond human control. Top religious leader says authorities not responsible for deadly crush, adding that "fate and destiny are inevitable". (Al Jazeera)

Note to Shipmates who have a connection to the Hajj: Below the article are a couple of pictures that might be disturbing.

Posted by Doublethink. (# 1984) on :

This is quite a good article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-34361122

It looks as if the Saudis have made a massive effort to make things safer over the years.

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

General Advice

Please note that any discussion of the Hajj Tragedy and it's implications or what possibly should have been done or whatever should be elsewhere, probably Purgatory. AS is the appropriate for prayer and support but not for debate.

Thanks.

WW - AS Host

© Ship of Fools 2016